Skip to main content

View Post [edit]

Poster: kochman Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:50am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

For today's enjoyment, we will vote for our favorite obscure tune the Dead played. 10 times or less, covers included. Not Jerry Band/Legion/etc. Just the Dead.

My vote is... Visions of Johanna (I am pretty sure it was less than ten... if not, my vote is Ballad of a Thin Man)

I will reveal the results tomorrow, with a new poll.

Reply [edit]

Poster: jackstraw86 Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:47am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Searchin'

Reply [edit]

Poster: kochman Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:49am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

is that the name of the song, or what you are doing now?

Reply [edit]

Poster: jackstraw86 Date: Jul 25, 2007 10:15am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

By Searchin', I mean the song. They played it twice. 11.8.70 & 4.27.71

Reply [edit]

Poster: lobster12 Date: Jul 25, 2007 9:07am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

she belongs to me

Reply [edit]

Poster: kochman Date: Jul 25, 2007 9:22am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

i almost went with that, great performance from 11-21-85

Reply [edit]

Poster: high flow Date: Jul 25, 2007 9:27am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Rosemary

Reply [edit]

Poster: tree-ap Date: Jul 25, 2007 7:32am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

I agree with GOP's mention of Muddy Water from the Felt Forum in '71. There are also some WONDERFUL versions of this song done by country artists, as it is a country song. Till The Morning Comes is what I'd have to say is my fav, as this is a GD song & not a cover, but considering both classifications---Muddy Water & THMC.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Lou Davenport Date: Jul 25, 2007 7:23am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

One could argue that to be truly obscure a tune also shouldn't have appeared on an album, which would let out most of my earlier picks.

I'd like to appeal the judge's ruling on maximum number of performances on behalf of Cold Jordan, which is listed in 13 shows, one of which is actually a studio recording. So how about allowing 12 for such a great tune?

Or does Mission in the Rain qualify, even though it was on a Garcia album?

Reply [edit]

Poster: kochman Date: Jul 25, 2007 8:57am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

as long as the grateful dead played it 10 times or less, it counts

Reply [edit]

Poster: Lou Davenport Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:37pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

The opinion of the judge is final! :)

Then cancel any other votes I may have made or implied, and I will be the lone voice crying out (lost in the regions of lead) for What's Become of the Baby.

Reply [edit]

Poster: swamiGD80s Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:15am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Stronger Than Dirt

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ellis Van Sofa Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:21am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Clementine

Reply [edit]

Poster: grendelschoice Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:23am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

That Would Be Something

(played a handful of times in the early 90's...Paul McCartney tune).

Reply [edit]

Poster: fireeagle Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:36am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

handful of times = 16
http://www.setlists.net/?search=true&venue=&city=&state=&month=&day=&year=&songs=That+Would+Be+Something%0D%0A&submit=Search
doesn´t qualify

Reply [edit]

Poster: grendelschoice Date: Jul 25, 2007 6:48am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

D'oh!

OK....how about Mack the Knife!

Try and find more than even 1 performance of that--I dare ya!!!!

Reply [edit]

Poster: BryanE Date: Jul 25, 2007 8:05am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Let It Rock

Reply [edit]

Poster: infraredruby Date: Jul 25, 2007 8:28am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

whiskey in the jar

Reply [edit]

Poster: ghostofpig Date: Jul 25, 2007 8:42am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Hey, no double voting.

Reply [edit]

Poster: infraredruby Date: Jul 25, 2007 8:28am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

whiskey in the jar

Reply [edit]

Poster: cosmic chuck Date: Jul 25, 2007 9:36am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

I am going with a split vote..........."The Frozen Logger" because it always brings a chucle and "Mission In the Rain" because I wish they had played it more often.

Reply [edit]

Poster: elbow1126 Date: Jul 25, 2007 7:59am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet -played 1 time. I think I cite this show on a weekly basis.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd69-12-26.sbd.murphy.1821.sbeok.shnf

Slewfoot - played 9 times. gotta love that pedal steel.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd69-06-27.sbd.samaritano.20547.sbeok.shnf

Day Tripper - played 5 times. The crowd reaction on the aud is great.
http://www.archive.org/details/gd85-03-31.oade-schoeps.sacks.23592.sbeok.flacf

Two Souls in Communion - Okay maybe not obscure but sadly only played 13 times. I have only heard a few so I'll let those more in tune with 1972 guide you to the best.

Reply [edit]

Poster: swamiGD80s Date: Jul 25, 2007 9:03am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Day Tripper? Check out 6-25-85 Blossom...awesome Day Tripper into West LA to open the show!

Reply [edit]

Poster: elbow1126 Date: Jul 25, 2007 9:10am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

thanks, I needed a lunch time music selection. I'll give it a listen.

Reply [edit]

Poster: johnnyonthespot Date: Jul 25, 2007 11:32am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Mission in the Rain!

Oh yeah, and for whatever reason I seem to be the ONLY person who likes this song - Money Money.

Reply [edit]

Poster: bluedevil Date: Jul 25, 2007 11:51am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

I prefer money, money, money:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8nZeOreWw

Reply [edit]

Poster: johnnyonthespot Date: Jul 25, 2007 12:26pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

I am so glad I looked at that before lunch. Now I seem to have lost my appetite.

Do I even want to know how you though of that?

Reply [edit]

Poster: johnnyonthespot Date: Jul 25, 2007 12:26pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

I am so glad I looked at that before lunch. Now I seem to have lost my appetite.

Do I even want to know how you though of that?

Reply [edit]

Poster: bluedevil Date: Jul 25, 2007 1:33pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

I'm married to a Czech gal; she, like most Europeans I know, has a very strong, if often ironic, love for Abba and Queen (more similar than you might think). When I hear the word money, I think of that tune (it's scary, I know) or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIKbEh1-uTg I couldn't find a version by The Killer (the original punk; known to some as Jerry Lee) Of course, there are mulitple copies of the Beatles, but Jerry Lee did a great version...
This post was modified by bluedevil on 2007-07-25 20:33:11

Reply [edit]

Poster: johnnyonthespot Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:47pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Have you heard this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hunyxfpr_Hs

Reply [edit]

Poster: bluedevil Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:58pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

damn, he looks young. I have a great story about him I'll share when you head this way...

Reply [edit]

Poster: johnnyonthespot Date: Jul 25, 2007 4:01pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

yeah he does. Have you seen that movei? Festival Express. If not you HAVE to see it, incredible.

Look forward to hearing that story

Reply [edit]

Poster: cosmic chuck Date: Jul 25, 2007 10:04am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

sorry to vote twice but i keep thinking of more that should be included

Doin that rag

I second that emotion...I would have sworn they played this more but the setlist site says only 9 times.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Lou Davenport Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:35pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Doin that rag was only ever played in 69, but it was played 39 times that year.

Reply [edit]

Poster: pnc Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:07pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

mission in the rain

if i had the world to give

keep on growin'

mystery train

'til the moring comes

(not necessarily in that order, except for mission...what a tune)

Reply [edit]

Poster: bluedevil Date: Jul 25, 2007 2:20pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

so, is the line the bells were not for me or the belles were not for me?

http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/mission.html

Kind of changes the view of it for me; kind of like learning Supsicious Minds was Elvis singing to Col Tom.

Reply [edit]

Poster: johnnyonthespot Date: Jul 25, 2007 5:06pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

bells - the bells of the Mission Church. YOu've been there no?

Speaking of this tune - I realize this song probably wasn't meant this way but I can never hear this song as anything else than buying drugs in the Mission District.

Reply [edit]

Poster: jackstraw86 Date: Jul 25, 2007 5:11pm
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Today's Poll - Favorite Obscure Dead Tune

Maybe it's "Belles". I lifted this from Dodd's Annotated Lyrics of the Dead here: http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/mission.html

bells
This note from a reader: