Skip to main content

View Post [edit]

Poster: Stealz Date: Aug 25, 2007 5:36am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Deadhook vs. LMA [continued]

Hey Ashes! Good to see you here on the forum and thanks again for the discs.

Perhaps I am off on this one, but I've always felt that Dylan was merely continuing to craft and shape a visual image through lyric by writing "young girls pullin' muscles". Not only is Dylan metaphorically "painting a masterpiece" throughout the song but he (in my opinion) is attempting to literally "paint a masterpiece" by way of lyric through his vivid description of what one might find in the European locales mentioned.

As often found in the artwork (on canvas) of men who use the brush rather than the pen, there are many pieces that are merely the artist's visual recreation of a speficic location within a given town or city (eg. Van Gogh's "The Cafe' Terrace on the Place du Forum at Night").

If a leap can be made here I think some further understanding of the lyrics in question can be had. If, in fact, we decide that Dylan is referring not only to "painting a masterpiece" out of life itself but that he is also providing the listener with an audible recreation of both specific and general European locations (as opposed to a brush artist's visual recreation) we can make yet further sense of the line "young girls pullin' muscles".

The leap that will need to be made is in reference to the spelling of the term muscles. A homophone of the word muscles is obviously "mussels". Herein lies the answer to your question Ashes (in my opinion). Dylan is "brushing" his representation of Brussels at the time he mentions "young girls pullin muscles". Along with "clergymen in uniform" and "newspapermen eating candy" it can be inferred that Dylan is using this line to help paint his personal picture of Brussels. Brussels is VERY famous for mussels. Years ago, and still today in fact, it was common for many of the restaurants serving mussels in Brussels (which probably includes upwards of 90-95 percent, kind of like crab cakes in Baltimore) to set up tables on the street sides for the sole intent of selling fresh mussels. Along with this fact, many of the restaurants would/do employ pretty young women as their salesperson of the mussels so as to attract even more attention to their selection of fresh mussels.

If we take these things in to account it seems relatively obvious to me that this is what Dylan is referring to but I have always had trouble with the whole homophone thing. Why would Dylan not just use "mussels" instead of "muscles"? Maybe that's just part of his Masterpiece, i don't know.

Hope this helps serve as a possible answer to your question.

Reply [edit]

Poster: AshesRising Date: Aug 25, 2007 11:00am
Forum: GratefulDead Subject: Re: Deadhook vs. LMA [continued]

Stealz: Thank you for both the historical background and your insight into the many levels of the canvas (seen and unseen).

Kinda weird synchronicity: as I walked along the shore this morning listening to the ocean growl I wondered if Dylan was employing the "play on words" technique ("mussels" rather than "muscles") Check this out: the etymology of "mussel" (from Merriam-Webster):
Middle English "muscle," from Old English "muscelle," from Vulgar Latin "*muscula," from Latin "musculus" muscle, mussel

Stealz, another example possibly (probably??? - that's the great thing about this stuff, isn' it, never knowing the lyricist's intent....or lack thereof?) Anyway, another example that appears to be in line with your interpretation of a lyricist simultaneously "painting" both literally (i.e., a specific time and space) as well as metaphorically on the broader expanse of life itself occurs within "Mission in the Rain." (I refer to the technique as a "play on words," since I don't know how to use the word "homophone" properly): one month ago (July 25) it was brought to the Forum's attention by "jackstraw66" and "bluedevil." I'll paste it below, however I first want to thank you for taking the time to write such a thought-full and thought-provoking post.

Your post, Stealz, goes beyond just the specific lyric and song that prompted my inquiry --- your post opens many windows and doorways and I am grateful for the inspiration. This evening's stroll along the shore will add lots of color and texture to my canvas. Thank You.

--- AshesRising

Here is the text regarding "Mission in the Rain" mentioned above:
from Dodd's Annotated Lyrics of the Dead here: http://arts.ucsc.edu/gdead/agdl/mission.html

bells
This note from a reader: