Skip to main content

View Post [edit]

Poster: brewster Date: Dec 22, 2002 5:56am
Forum: etree Subject: New p2p system on etree03

We are looking into 3 p2p systems to help with our bandwidth load on the etree servers. Thanks to the good folks at onionnetworks, we now have a new one on etree03. See below for a sample url.

Please give it a shot and let us know what you think!

> Whew, things should finally be in place now. The gateway, client, and
> link-modification javascript are all up and running. You can test the
> system by going to this page:
>
> http://etree03.archive.org/etree/agp2002-10-11.shnf/
>
> and clicking on the 'agp02-10-11d1t5.shn' link. All the links on the
> etree03 archive are TornadoCache enabled, that one is just "primed".
>
> You see the first person to download a link starts the gateway's
> downloading and hashing of the that link. Until the gateway has
> downloaded/hashed a link it's not available for a TornadoCache download
> -- instead the system falls back to a single-source download. However,
> anyone who downloads a file after the gateway has downloaded/hashed that
> file will get the multi-sourced, p2p-enabled download.
>
> Also, there is a new FAQ available at:
>
> http://open-content.net/faq.html
>
> You might want to consider some of those questions for inclusion in the
> etree FAQ.
>
> After a week or two have gone by and we've ironed any kinks of of the
> install, we can talk about moving the link-modification javascript to
> the other etree machines at your convenience.
>
> Thanks again for your help throughout this process,

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Jan 19, 2003 12:05pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

There's a discussion thread about an overloaded server message that's confusing here: http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=3775

Just thought folks reading this thread might be interested.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Jan 22, 2003 1:06am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

A new version has been deployed that adds no functionality save to fix the problem described in this thread:
http://www.archive.org/iathreads/post-view.php?id=3775

Check it out for details.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Underworld Date: Feb 8, 2003 11:15am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

It seems a solution is available for etree03. Unfortunately much of my musical desires reside on other servers. Nor can I easily search for shows that reside on 03. I'll be patient but if I'll cast my vote now to expand Tornado plug-in use to servers 08 and 01. I'll monitor this thread if anyone has any other suggestions for queueing up http files for sequential download. peace.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Feb 8, 2003 11:21am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

Thanks. I beleive Jon A. is preparing to expand it to the other servers, we just wanted to work the kinks out on some of the less-used servers.

Reply [edit]

Poster: CrushThis Date: Dec 22, 2002 6:18am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

wait, after you download the thing from onion works where do you go to get the files from etree03?
im confused... help?

Reply [edit]

Poster: Jonathan Aizen Date: Dec 22, 2002 6:20am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

it should start downloading automatically after installing the software from onionnetworks. if not, try clicking the link again in your browser. at that point it should definitely work. post if you have trouble.

Reply [edit]

Poster: CrushThis Date: Dec 22, 2002 6:23am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

which link? i cant get into the etree03... im not sure what you are talking about

Reply [edit]

Poster: Jonathan Aizen Date: Dec 22, 2002 6:31am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

When you go to a details page for a show that is on etree3, click the link to download. When you do, you will get a list of files. Click one of these files, it should launch the Onionnetworks client automatically. Continue posting if you ahve trouble or if you need more clarification.

Reply [edit]

Poster: CrushThis Date: Dec 22, 2002 6:35am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

ok specifics: im looking to download the DMB show from 12/20... i dont see a download link in the reveiw of the show... (if that's what you're talking about...)

Reply [edit]

Poster: Jonathan Aizen Date: Dec 22, 2002 7:36am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

The DMB show from 12/20 is not on this site. I presume you are refering to 12/21. If so, there is a download link on the details page:

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=1935&from=landingReviews

This thread was about the peer to peer system on etee03, which is what I thought you were refering to. Sorry for the confusion.

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Dec 22, 2002 7:49am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

Hi. I'm Ry4an with Open-Content.net the people working with the archive.org/etree crew to run this test. The system in place acts as a browser proxy running on each user's local machine. As such, it has no real UI, and after the install is done should be pretty inobtrusive. You can find more detail on the open-content.net website. The FAQ found at http://open-content.net/faq.html has some good info in it too. I'll be monitoring this thread so feel free to ask any questions or report any sucesses/problems. Those with real interest in the system are invited to join the ocn-users mailing list: http://open-content.net/mailman/listinfo/ocn-users

Reply [edit]

Poster: Jammer Date: Dec 22, 2002 8:38am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

So I'm having a hard time finding where I can download the new p2p system.

A link would be very helpful, or if there is one, please let me know where it is...

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Dec 22, 2002 8:45am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

That's the thing, it's not an application one downloads and runs like edonkey, napster, etc. Instead it's a proxy that runs on your machine which speeds downloads but doesn't contain any searching capabilities. The proxy is downloaded and run using the Java WebStart application and it should be automatic when you select a file from the /etree/ directory hierarchy on the etree03.archive.org machine. The links on all the directory listings on that machine have been tornado-enabled and will cause downloads of those files to be made through the open-content.net system.

For a test go to this page: http://etree03.archive.org/etree/agp2002-10-11.shnf/ and then click (not right/option-click) on one of the links, for example 'agp02-10-11d1t5.shn'. That will cause your system to download the OCN TornadoCache plugin which will then be running on your system. After that one-time download any link you click on the page will be run through the plugin and should be considerably quicker than before.

Reply [edit]

Poster: brewster Date: Dec 22, 2002 11:13am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

I can not see the directory:
http://etree03.archive.org/etree/agp2002-10-11.shnf/
on either IE or NS at the moment. is there something wrong?
I can see
http://etree03.archive.org/
but clicking on the etree link seems to make it hang.

-brewster

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Dec 22, 2002 1:56pm
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

Actually I'm getting no response from etree03.archive.org at all. Are you sure you're not just seeing a cached listing for the root directory on that machine?

I don't think our system could be the cause of the slow/no response on etree03 because our stuff is running on feeds not etree03.

Perhaps apache on etree03 just needs a HUP?

Reply [edit]

Poster: Ry4an Date: Jan 9, 2003 6:20am
Forum: etree Subject: Re: New p2p system on etree03

I've just put a new version out that should allow the saveAs dialog to pop up much faster on windows. Checking the logs, it looks like the system is getting a ton of use. If you have any success/lack-of-success stories or just general Tornado Cache comments please don't hesistate to post them to this thead or mail them to support at onionnetworks dot com.