Skip to main content

Full text of "The 21st Missouri Regiment Infantry Veteran Volunteers"

See other formats




* * * * 




16-^7372-2 tro 

• • i • ■ I 
' ' \\ \ 
' ! ! ■: 


' : : rv) v v>v* i J HA\V ' 

■ i ■ \ • . . j ! • ; 

The 21st 
Infantry ;! 
Veteran ! ; 


r-"r / ' < > • 

I i J , i 1 1 • 


i j.i t . ? 

. , 



2Ist Missouri Regiment 

Infantry Veteran Volunteers. 

Historical Memoranda. 


N. D. Starr and T. W. Holman. 

July, 1899. 

roberts & roberts, printers, 

fort madison, iowa. 


■ 5 
■21 jt 



AT the close of the war and after their discharge the 
members of the 21st Missouri Regiment scattered 
over Missouri and other States of the Union. No 
effort was made to keep the organization alive until 1888, 
when T. W. Holman, responding to the whisperings of 
memory for a sight and hand clasp of the old comrades of 
'6i-'66, on his own responsibility published a call, in 
August, 1888, for a meeting of the survivors at Arbela, 
Mo. The result was a large gathering of the veterans 
and the organization of the 21st Missouri Infantry Veteran 
Volunteers Association. From that date to the present 
time annual meetings have been held. At the meeting in 
1896, Messrs. T. W. Holman and N. D. Starr were made 
Regimental Historians, to compile an' 1 perpetuate the 
history of the regiment. At the next meeting, in 1897, 
these comrades made a partial report, and at the Edina, 
Mo., meeting in 1898, submitted the result of their labors 
in manuscript form. A motion was then made and carried 
that T. W. Holman continue the labor and revise and 
prepare the manuscript for publication and have it printed 
for the use of the Association. In accordance with the 
foregoing instructions the succeeding pages are respectfully 

T. W Holman. 


Colonel 21st Regiment Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. 


Organization of the ist and 2d North Missouri Regiments, 
June and July, 1861. — Campaigning in North Missouri 
During the Summer of 1861. — Order Consolidating the 
ist and 2d North Missouri Regiments, Thereafter 
Known as the 21st Regiment, Missouri Infantry Vols. 

AFTER the election of Abraham Lincoln in i860 many 
political disturbances and difficulties arose and he 
was inaugurated during a time of overwhelming 
excitement. The government of Missouri at that time 
was in the hands of those who were clamoring for seces- 
sion from the Union of States. Claiborne F. Jackson, who 
had been trained in the political school of " States Rights," 
was elected Governor. Early in the spring of 1861 Camp 
Jackson was established in St. Louis and troops for State 
service were mustered at that point. 

The Southern states, one after another, withdrew from 
the Union and on April the nth, 1861, Fort Sumter was 
fired on by the Confederates. This was the bugle call to 
arms, and President Lincoln's proclamation for 75,000 men 
to serve for ninety days followed. Frank P. Blair, after- 
wards Major General, received authority from the general 
government to organize and muster into service troops for 
the prosecution of the war for the preservation of the 

The muster of troops for the state was very irregular 
and was the cause afterwards of considerable confusion. 
Some men were enlisted for the war, some for one year, 
then for three years; some to serve in the state only, while 
others were enlisted for service in the northern part of the 
state and others for the southern part. The army thus 
organized was one of questionable authority. The Gov- 
ernor maintained that the general government had no 
right to invade the state, and the latter hesitated in regard 
to sending troops into a state not in open revolt against 
the government. 

During this period of hesitation and confusion Col. D. 
Moore was commissioned Colonel and received authority 
to enlist and organize the ist North Missouri Volunteers; 
and Col. H. M. Woodyard was given like authority to 
organize the 2d North Missouri Volunteers. In the sum- 
mer and fall of 1861 these troops, acting separately, held 
North Missouri against the Confederates under Cols. Porter 
and Green. The anomalous conditions then existing in 
the state are explained by the position of the Confederates, 
who claimed that they were resisting armed invasion of the 
State by the Federal Government. 


About May 30, 1861, Col. Moore received authority 
from Gen. Lyons to raise a regiment for the Federal ser- 
vice, taking the field at the head of ten men. Clear and 
ringing as a bugle blast he sounded the following chal- 
lenge, which was posted in hand bills over Northeast 
Missouri and Southern Iowa: 

The undersigned is authorized to raise a company of 
volunteers in the county, for the Union service. All who 
are willing to fight for their homes, their country and the 
flag of the glorious Union, are invited to join him, bring- 
ing with them their arms and ammunition. Until the 
Government can aid us we must take care of ourselves. 
Secessionists and rebel traitors desiring a fight can be 
accommodated on demand. D. MOORE. 

(The above is a verbatim copy. — T. W. H.) 

Cols. Moore and Woodyard, with their commands, were 
so continuously engaged with the enemy either in skir- 
mishing, scouting or fighting, that no time was left them 
for looking after recruits. Hence when the time came to 
be regularly received into service both regiments were 
short of the requisite number of men. Consequently the 
two regiments were consolidated into what is known as 
the 21st Regiment of Missouri Volunteers, by the follow- 
ing order: 

Headquarters State of Missouri, ^ 

Adjutant General's Office. V 

St. Louis, December 31, 1861. J 


1st. The battalion of Missouri Volunteers heretofore 
known as 1st North Missouri Regiment, under the com- 
mand of Col. D. Moore, and the battalion of Missouri Vol- 
unteers heretofore known as the 2d North Missouri Regi- 
ment, under the command of Col. H. M. Woodyard, are 
hereby consolidated into a regiment to be hereafter known 
and designated as the 21st Regiment of Missouri Volun- 

2d. Col. D. Moore is hereby appointed Colonel, and 
Col. H. M. Woodyard is hereby appointed Lieutenant- 
Colonel, of the regiment thus formed. 

By order of the Commander in Chief. 

Chester Harding, Jr. 

Adjutant General. 

As a result of the above order the two regiments were 
consolidated on the 1st day of February, 1862, and were 
mustered into the service of the United States by Lieut. 
Col. Fetterman, as the 21st Missouri Infantry Volunteers, 
with the following field officers: 

D. Moore, Colonel. 

H. M. Woodyard, Lieutenant Colonel. 

B. B. King, Major. 

Charles C. Tobin, Adjutant. 

The ten companies of the regiment had the following 


Company A — Charles Yust, Captain. 

Henry Menn, ist Lieutenant. 

Edwin Turner, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company B — Joseph Story, Captain. 

L. D. Woodruff, ist Lieutenant. 

Edward Fox, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company C — Simon Pearce, Captain. 

William Lester, ist Lieutenant. 

T. H. Richardson, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company D — N. W. Murrow, Captain. 

Henry McGonigle, ist Lieutenant. 

Louis J. Ainslee, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company E — Geo. W. Fulton, Captain. 

T. M. McQuoid, ist Lieutenant. 

Wm. J. Pulus, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company F — Joseph T. Farris, Captain. 

Alex. F. Tracy, ist Lieutenant. 

F. A. Whitmore, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company G — T. H. Roseberry, Captain. 

E. R. Blackburn, ist Lieutenant. 

Daniel R. Allen, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company H — Jno. H. Cox, Captain. 

Peter S. Washburn, ist Lieutenant. 

Wm. P. Rickey, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company I — Wm. Harle, Captain. 

Joseph Oliver, ist Lieutenant. 

Hudson Rice, 2d Lieutenant. 
Company K — Frederick Leeser, Captain. 

A. D. Starkweather, ist Lieutenant. 

Geo. M. Davis, 2d Lieutenant. 

It was in Canton where the regiment was mustered into 
service and about the 15th of February it left that place 
and inarched by way of LaGrange and Palmyra to Hanni- 
bal, Mo., where several weeks were spent in training in 
military duties. On the 28th of March orders came to go 
to the front. Camp equipments were soon packed and the 
regiment on the way to St. Louis. After a brief stop there 
it was taken by boat to Savannah, Tennessee. This 


place was General Grant's headquarters, who was then 
making the plans which resulted in the fall of Corinth. 
The regiment reported to Gen. Grant and was sent imme- 
diately to the front and assigned to the ist Brigade, 6th 
Division, Army of West Tennessee, under command of 
Gen. B. M. Prentiss. 

The men were soon to see fighting in earnest now. 
They were on the ground where the memorable battle of 
Shiloh was fought a few days after their arrival, to- wit: 
the 6th and yth of April, 1862, and on account of their 
advanced position they were the first to become engaged 
with the enemy. The regiment suffered heavily in the 
fight, losing one officer and thirty men killed, with four 
officers and one hundred and fifty men wounded. Three 
officers and sixty-eight men were also taken prisoners. It 
was here that the gallant Maj. King fell mortally wounded. 
The reports of the battle by Cols. Moore and Woodyard, 
published here, give a full account of the part taken by 
the regiment: 

Cols. Moore and Woodyard' s Reports. 

Headquarters 2ist Mo. Infantry, "] 
6th Division, Army of the Tennessee, > 

April iith, 1862. J 
SIR: — In pursuance of the order of Brig. Gen. B. M. 
Prentiss, commanding 6th Division, Army of West Ten- 
nessee, I, on Saturday, (April 5th,) proceeded to a recon- 
noisance on the front of the line of Gen. Prentiss' division, 
and on the front of Gen. Sherman's division. My com- 
mand consisted of three companies from the 21st Missouri 
Regiment, companies commanded by Capt's Cox, Harle 
and Pearce. A thorough reconnoisance over the extent of 
three miles failed to discover the enemy. Being unsuc- 
cessful, as stated, I returned to my encampment about 7 
p. m. On Sunday morning, the 6th inst., at about 6 
o'clock, being notified that the picket guard of the ist 
Brigade, 6th Division, had been attacked and driven in, by 
order of Col. Everett Peab'ody, commanding the ist Bri- 
gade, 6th Division, I advanced with five companies of my 
command a short distance from the outer line of our en- 
campment. I met the retreating pickets of the ist Bri- 
gade bringing in their wounded. Those who were able for 


duty were ordered and compelled to return to their posts, 
and learning that the enemy were advancing in force I ad- 
vanced with the remaining companies of my regiment, 
which companies having joined me I ordered an advance 
and attacked the enemy, who was commanded by Brig. 
Gen. Ruggles, of the Rebel army. A terrific fire was 
opened upon us from the whole front of the four or five 
regiments forming the advance of the enemy, which my 
gallant soldiers withstood during thirty minutes, until I 
had communicated the intelligence of the movement 
against us to my commanding General. About this time, 
being myself severely wounded, the bone of the leg below 
my knee being shattered, I was compelled to retire from 
the field, leaving Lieut. Col. Woodyard in command. 

D. Moore, 
Colonel 21st Mo. Volunteers. 
To Capt. Henry Binmore, 
Act. A. G., 6th Division, 
Army of West Tennessee. 

Headquarters 2ist Mo. Infantry, 1 
Pittsburg, Tenn., April 12, 1862. j 
SIR: — I have the honor to report that on the morning 
of the 6th of April, before sunrise, Gen. Prentiss ordered 
Col. Moore, with five companies of our regiment, to sus- 
tain the pickets of the 12th Michigan Infantry. The Col. 
had not proceeded more than half a mile when he met the 
pickets coming in with many killed and wounded. Col. 
Moore immediately dispatched Lieut. Menn for the re- 
maining five companies. Gen. Prentiss being in camp, 
ordered me to join Col. Moore. We marched some three 
hundred yards together, after I formed the junction, in a 
nearly westerly direction, flank movement, four ranks, 
when the head of the column came to the northwest cor- 
ner (this should have been the northeast corner. — T. W. H.) 
of a cotton field. We were here fired upon and Col. 
Moore received a severe wound in the right leg, and Lieut. 
Menn was wounded in the head. I then assumed com- 
mand of the regiment and formed a line of battle on the 
brow of a hill, on the cotton field, facing nearly west. I 
held this position for some half or three-quarters of an hour 
and kept the enemy in check. He fell back and endea- 
vored to outflank me. Discovering this I moved my line 
to the north of the field again. I was then joined by four 
companies of the 16th Wisconsin Infantry. Having no 
field officers with them I ordered them to a position east of 


the field, and as soon as this was done joined them with 
my command. This line of battle was formed facing 
south, behind a small incline, enabling my men to load 
and be out of range of the enemy's fire. The position 
proved a strong one and we managed to hold it for upward 
of an hour. Finding they could not dislodge us the enemy 
again tried to outflank us and deal a cross fire. I then fell 
back in good order, firing as we did so, to the next hill. 
Col. Peabody, commanding the ist Brigade, here came up 
with the 25th Missouri Regiment. I requested him to 
bring his men up to the hill on our right, as it would 
afford protection to his men and be of assistance to my 
command. He did so, but the enemy coming by heavy 
main center and dealing a heavy cross-fire from our right 
and left, we could not maintain this position for over thirty 
minutes. We gradually began to fall back and reached 
our tents, when the ranks got broken in passing through 
them. We endeavored to rally our men in the rear of our 
tents and formed as well as could be expected, but my men 
got much scattered, a great many falling into other regi- 
ments, under the immediate command of Gen. Prentiss. 
Others divided to other divisions but continued to fight 
during the two days. 

Falling back to the second hill, Maj. Barnabas B. King 
received a mortal wound and died in about thirty minutes. 
He rendered me great assistance in the action, cheering on 
and encouraging my men. His death is a heavy loss to 
us. He was ever active, energetic and at his post of duty, 
vigilant in attending to the wants of the men. Adjt. C. 
C. Tobin, who is now missing, also proved himself very 
active on the field. He is supposed to be a prisoner and 
taken at the same time with Gen. Prentiss. I cannot too 
highly praise the conduct of the officers and men of my 
command, and of the companies of the 16th Wisconsin, 
who acted in concert with me. 

Respectfully submitted, 

H. M. Woody ard, 
Lieut. Col. Com'd'g 21st Mo. Regt. 

To Capt. Henry Binmore, 
Act. A. G., 6th Division, 
Army of West Tennessee. 

To go back to the battle of Shiloh: 

It was here that Gen. Prentiss was captured and Gen. 


Peabody killed. The 21st, after losing Gen. Prentiss, was 
under the command of his successor, Gen. McKean, who 
then directed the movements of the 6th Division. The 
1st Brigade of the 6th, to which the 21st was attached, was 
commanded, after Gen. Peabody, by Gen. McArthur. 

The gallant 21st had no time to rest and recuperate after 
its severe fight at Shiloh. Under Gen. Halleck, who suc- 
ceeded- Gen. Grant after the Shiloh engagement, the regi- 
ment took an active part in the siege of Corinth. On the 
30th of April began the march on this formidable Confed- 
erate stronghold. It was fighting, advancing and building 
breastworks, until the enemy finally evacuated the town 
and our victorious soldiers entered, on the 29th day of 
May, 1862. 

The regiment laid around Corinth until about June 10th, 
when it was taken to Chewalla, Tennessee, about ten miles 
away, on the Memphis & Charleston R. R. Here they did 
light guard duty and enjoyed a well deserved rest until 
August 30th. The country was picturesque and beautiful 
and abounded in fruits of all kinds; but even here the 21st 
had its troubles and trials. Small pox broke out in the 
camp. More than seventy cases were on hand at one time 
— and those not afflicted or doing guard duty had to take 
their turns at nursing their comrades. But the malady 
finally run its course, after leaving a death list of thirty- 
odd men. On leaving Chewalla, the regiment returned 
to Corinth and was ordered, on September 10th, to Kos- 
suth, Mississippi, for outpost duty; but in a few days was 
ordered back to Corinth, reaching there on the morning of 
the 3d of October. 

The regiment had just got settled in its tents, on the 
morning of the 3d of October, on its return from Kos- 
suth, when the bugle call to arms summoned the men to 
rush out and fall into line of battle. The battle of Corinth 
began about daylight, and the men of the 21st were in the 
midst of it. The report of Col. Moore, here published, 
shows the part the 21st took in the engagement: 


Col. Moore's Report. 

Headquarters 2ist Mo. Infantry Vols.,^1 
ist Brigade, 6th Division. V 
Corinth, Miss., October 17, 1862. J 
Capt. J. Bates Dickerson, 

Ass't Adjt. Gen. ist and 2d Brigades, 6th Division. 
Captain: — I have the honor to report the part taken by 
the 21st Mo. Vols, in the engagement before Corinth, Miss., 
October 3 and 4, 1862. On the afternoon of Oct. 2, 1862, 
I was relieved from outpost duty and command of the post 
of Kossuth, Miss., by Col. Smith, 43d Ohio. We returned 
to our camp at Corinth, Miss., the same night, arriving at 
3 o'clock a. m. About 4:30 a. m. we heard artillery fire 
some distance to the front; the battalion was formed 
promptly in line, and shortly after we were directed to 
take position upon the Memphis & Charleston R. R., in 
support of battery E; here we remained until 9 a. m., when 
we were ordered to march two miles to the front and take 
position upon a high ridge to the left of the Memphis & 
Charleston R. R., and upon the extreme left of the line of 
battle, continuously with the 16th Wisconsin Vols., of the 
6th Division, and two regiments of Gen. Davie's Division, 
who were stationed immediately to the right of the rail- 
road. We had been in position but a few minutes when 
the enemy opened fire on our flank and front. We replied 
promptly and continued showing the most determined re- 
sistance, the enemy being in so far superior numbers that 
we were temporarily driven from the line. About this 
time my horse was shot under me, bruising severely my 
amputated leg. I here turned the command over to Major 
Moore, who, with great gallantry, assisted by the officers 
of the regiment, rallied the men and repeatedly drove the 
enemy from the hill. The fire to the right became very 
severe, — the regiment stationed there, and battery, gave 
way before the masses of the approaching enemies. See- 
ing this, and our men being nearly out of cartridges, hav- 
ing fired forty rounds, the battalion was ordered to fall 
back, which was done in good order and firing. It is with 
pleasure I notice the bravery of my field staff and line 
officers — they were equal to the emergency. Corporal 
Jesse Roberts, Company I, 21st Mo. Inf. Vols., showed 
great bravery; he gallantly seized the colors (after Color 
Sergeant had fallen back), causing great enthusiasm 
among the men. Respectfully, your obedient servant, 

D. Moore, 
Col. Com'd'g 2 ist Mo. Inft. Vols. 

• Maj. Ed. Moore's Report. 

Headquarters 2ist Mo. Infantry Vols. \ 

October 18, 1862. j 
Lieut. R. Rees, 

Adjt. 21st Mo. Infantry Vols. 

Sir: — I have the honor to report the part taken by the 
21st Mo. Vol. Infantry Regiment in the Battle of Corinth, 
Miss., on Friday and Saturday, the 3d and 4th of October, 
1862. After Col. Moore, commanding the regiment, was 
carried off the field, I assumed the command. The men 
were going back from their original position. With the 
assistance of the line officers I succeeded in rallying the 
men, who went boldly forward to the front and drove the 
enemy from the position that we occupied at the com- 
mencement of the engagement. As soon as the position 
was gained fighting became desperate, our lines being 
distant from those of the enemy less than fifty paces. The 
command held this ground until the force upon our right, 
consisting of artillery and infantry, had given away and 
was in full retreat. About this time the enemy was flank- 
ing us on our left and dense columns of infantry pressed 
us on our front. I ordered the regiment to retire. In 
doing so some of our men got scattered. We succeeded 
again in rallying the men, and formed on the flanks of a 
line being formed by Brig. Gen. McArthur, to construct a 
temporary breastwork of logs, and did so; but before com- 
pleting the same we were ordered to a position on the 
extreme left in the vicinity of the seminary. We were 
engaged with the enemy while in this position. About 
2:30 P. M., I was ordered to proceed to Battery C and 
report to Brig. Gen. McArthur. Having three companies 
of skirmishers in the rear, under his direction we scoured 
the woods but found no enemy excepting a few stragglers. 
We then took the south bridge road in the direction of 
Mr. Alexander's, the rebel cavalry fleeing before our 
advance. We succeeded in capturing a great number of 
prisoners, from one of whom I learned the rebel hospitals 
were in the vicinity. It was now dark. I pushed forward 
and took possession of all property and persons. A great 
many prisoners were taken that night and early next 
morning trying to escape through the lines. The total 
number captured, including the wounded, amounted to 
nearly 900 officers and men. We also captured 460 mus- 
kets, 400 cartridge boxes and a quantity of belts, etc. 
Under the instructions of Brig. Gen. McArthur I remained 


at the hospitals with the command until Sunday about 
noon, when Col. Moore took command of the regiment. 
Our loss during the engagement is one killed, seventeen 
wounded and six prisoners. I mention with satisfaction 
the behavior of the line officers. They used every exer- 
tion to keep their men together and remained with them 
during the engagement, thereby setting a good example to 
the men to do their duty. During the action a great many 
of our guns were useless; after firing fifteen or twenty 
rounds of ammunition it was impossible to load them. 
I have the honor to be, 

Your obedient servant, Edwin Moore, 

Maj. 21st Mo. Infantry Vols. 

At the close of the Corinth engagement the whole num- 
ber of the regiment did not exceed 400 men. Over 600 
during the period the command had been in active service 
had been lost either in battle, sickness or captured by the 
enemy. While at Chewalla a detail had been sent home 
to muster recruits and a few days after the Corinth fight 
the whole regiment, or what was left of it, was furloughed 
for thirty days. The men returned home, where they 
found recruiting offices had been opened by the detail of 
men sent from Chewalla, at Memphis and Edina. North 
Missouri was still bubbling over with patriotism for the 
Stars and Stripes. The tattered and worn condition of 
the 400 survivors of the 21st, with their battle torn flag, 
gave a new impetus to the war spirit. Volunteers sprung 
up from every side and in an incredibly short while the 
regiment was recruited to double its number. Canton 
was the rallying point for the men and from that place on 
the 10th of December, 1862, tents were folded, good-byes 
to loved ones said, and the gallant old 21st once more 
started for the bloody theatre of war. The objective 
point was Holly Springs, Miss., where the old 6th Division 
of the Army of West Tennessee was encamped. 

At St. Louis the regiment boarded the steamer known 
in history as the Di Vernon, and got as far as Columbus, Ky. , 
on December the 20th, where the command was stopped. 
Instead of proceeding to Holly Springs, the regiment was 
ordered by Gen. Asboth, commander of the Columbus 


Post, to Union City, Tenn., twenty miles from Columbus, 
to do outpost duty guarding Gen. Grant's line of commu- 
nication between Columbus and Corinth, which had been 
interrupted by raids of Confederate cavalry under Gen. 

Here barracks of logs and stockades were built and the 
men camped for the winter, doing guard duty and every- 
thing else incident to a military camp, facing a vigilant 
enemy. In this time Gen. Grant had gotten as far as 
Milliken's Bend, on his way to Vicksburg, and on the first 
of March, 1863, the regiment pulled up stakes to join him. 
But again the fortunes of war decreed otherwise. Gen. 
Forrest, of the Confederacy, had made another raid in the 
rear of Gen. Grant, and at Columbus the regiment was 
switched off to Clinton, Ky., where for two months it was 
engaged again in the same kind of service as at Union 
City. On May nth orders again came to move on towards 
Vicksburg. At Columbus the regiment boarded the 
steamer J. J. Rowe and started south to join the old 6th 
Division operating under Gen. Grant. On May 15th 
Memphis was reached and orders were found waiting us to 
report to Gen. Hurlburt, Post_Commander there. Here the 
regiment was kept at garrison duty until about January 
25th, 1864. While in garrison at Memphis the 21st was 
attached to the 1st Brigade, 3d Division, of the 16th Army 
Corps, commanded by Gen. A. J. Smith. The 1st Brigade 
was composed of, besides the 21st, the 89th Indiana, 119th 
Illinois, 58th Illinois, and the 9th Indiana Battery, com- 
manded by Col. David Moore. On January the 28th the 
command boarded a steamer en route for Vicksburg. On 
the way down the river, opposite Islands Nos. 70 and 71, 
the vessel was fired on from the shore by Confederates 
under Gen. Marmaduke, and three men were killed and 
four wounded. With no other incident the regiment 
reached Vicksburg on the 1st of February. 

On the next day, with the army under Gen. Sherman, 
the march to Meridian, Miss., began. They met and 
skirmished with the enemy at Champion Hills, on Febru- 


Surgeon 21st Regiment Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. 

President 21st Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. Association. 

ary 5th, Brandon on February 12th, and Meridian on 
February 14th. 

From Meridian, Miss., the regiment was sent back to 
Vicksburg, returning by the way of Canton, reaching 
there on March 4th, where most of the regiment re-enlisted 
for three years more, or till the war was ended. At Merid- 
ian and on the trip back our army destroyed some forty 
miles of railroad and inflicted other damages on the 

Returning to Vicksburg the veterans re-enlisting were 
granted a thirty days' furlough. There was a happy 
home-coming for these scarred warriors of the 21st, who 
had, by their gallant services, well earned their holiday. 
But there was quite a number of the 21st, about two 
hundred and fifty, who failed to enlist as veterans under 
the holiday offer. These were assigned to Gen. Banks' 
army and took part in what is known to history as the 
Red River Campaign. 


Seventy Days of Almost Uninterrupted Fighting, When the 
Singing of the Bullets was the Only Music Heard from 
Morning till Night. — General Banks Criticised. — How 
General Smith's Division Became Known as Smith's 
Guerrillas. — Fighting A. J. Smith. — General Banks 
Anxious to Get Back to New Orleans. 

A Graphic Account of the Campaign 


ABOUT the 5th of March, the regiment having returned 
to Vicksbnrg from the Meridian Campaign, the vet- 
erans were sent home on a thirty days' furlough. 
Those of the regiment who did not re-enlist, about one 
hundred, and about one hundred and forty recruits, were 
assigned to the 24th Missouri for duty. The 24th Missouri 
belonged to Col. Shaw's brigade and was designated the 
2d Brigade, 3d Division, 16th Corps, and was composed of 
the following named regiments: The 14th, 27th and 32d 
Iowa, and 24th Missouri, with the detachment of the 21st 
Missouri. The 21st Missouri men were consolidated and 
made three companies, about eighty men to the company. 
There being no commissioned officers with us, Lieuts. 
Denny, Yarbrough and Shadel, officers of the 24th, were 
assigned to command the three companies of the 21st. 


Gen. Banks having called on Gen. Sherman for ten 
thousand men to assist him in the Red River Campaign, 
the ist Division, 17th Corps, Gen. Joe Mower command- 
ing, and the 3d Division, 16th Corps, Col. R. C. Moore, of 
the 117th Illinois, commanding, under Gen. A. J. Smith, 
were assigned to this duty, and ordered to report to Gen. 
Banks. The expedition left Vicksburg about the 8th of 
March, reached the mouth of Red river on the 12th, and 
was there met by Admiral Porter with a gun boat fleet. 
Under convoy of the same the expedition started up Red 
river, reaching Simm's Landing, on the Atchafalaya river, 
about 5 p. m. Col. Shaw was ordered to disembark his 
brigade and picket the road towards Fort De Russy. 
March 13th Col. Shaw was ordered to move out on the Fort 
De Russy road. He advanced with his brigade along 
Bayou Rapides about four miles to Yellow Bayou. Here 
he found some earth works and a regiment of Confederate 
troops, with two pieces of artillery. On our approach they 
at once fell back towards Fort De Russy. We then 
returned to the landing. During our absence the balance 
of our troops disembarked and went into camp. 

On the 14th we had orders to move with two days' 
rations and forty rounds of ammunition, and 7 a. m. found 
us on the road with "Col. Shaw's brigade in the advance, 
the 24th and 21st Missouri in front. It was about eighteen 
miles across the bend of Red river, where rumor reported 
heavy earthworks and forts, and some six thousand Con- 
federate troops under command of Gen. Walker. The 
roads were good and our column moved rapidly, reaching 
Fori De Russy about 3 p. m. Col. Shaw's brigade went 
into line some four hundred yards from the upland fort, 
with the 3d Indiana battery in the center. We met a 
warm reception from fourteen guns in the upland fort and 
from heavy guns in the water battery. We advanced 
sharpshooters and our Indiana battery of four guns and 
commenced pounding away on the upland fort. By 5 p. 
m. our sharpshooters had the guns in the forts silenced, or 
at least made it such hazardous work to load and fire that 


the guns were only served occasionally. This was the 
signal for the assault. About 6 p. in. Gen. Mower ordered 
Col. Shaw to charge. His brigade fixed bayonets and with 
a yell made a dash for the enemy's works. The ground 
over which we had to pass was open, the timber having 
been used in the construction of the forts and bomb proofs. 
In our charge we were supported by the balance of our 
division. While charging we received a fringe of musket 
fire from the thin line of men inside the fort. In three 
minutes we were at the ditches and the garrison, seeing 
that further resistance was useless, ran up a white flag. 
The 24th and 21st Missouri were the first regiments to 
plant their flags on the fort, and in recognition of that fact 
and as a reward, we were detailed the guard of honor and 
remained in the fort during the night, with our regimental 
colors flying on the ramparts. 

The fruits of the victory were: in the upland fort, four- 
teen guns; in the water battery, three guns, two of them 
120 pounders, and one rifle 42, a large amount of ammuni- 
tion and quartermaster's stores, with three hundred and 
fifty prisoners. Commodore Porter, who was on his way 
up the river with his gun boat fleet, did not get up in time 
to participate in the capture. About ten miles below the 
forts the enemy had driven piling and anchored a large 
raft of timber across the channel of the river, preventing 
his arrival. 

During the night our transports arrived, and at 10 a. m. 
on the 15th we hauled down our colors, marched out of 
the fort and embarked with the balance of the troops, and 
again, under convoy of the gun boats, moved up the river 
to Alexandria, arriving there about 4 p. m. on the 16th. 
The enemy fell back, burning some of his quartermaster's 
stores and forage. We disembarked and went into camp 
east and south of town, to await the coming of Maj. Gen. 
Banks with the 13th and 19th Army Corps. 

Alexandria was a small town of some eight hundred 
inhabitants, situated at the foot of the rapids of the river. 
The country around Alexandria was very rich and the 


inhabitants very disloyal and bitter. We now had to wait 
until about March 25th for the coming of Gen. Banks to 
form a junction with Gen. Smith at this place. Gen. 
Banks' troops were leisurely marching across the country 
from the south, and upon his arrival with the 13th and 
19th corps, our combined forces of all arms consisted of 
about 35,000 men. Gen. Banks' men having been doing 
garrison duty at New Orleans, were well clothed, and with 
their new uniforms and paper collars made a very fine 
appearance compared with the men of the 16th Corps, who 
had been fighting and marching for the past three months 
and were ragged and dirty, which condition no doubt had 
much to do with influencing Gen. Banks to remark when 
he saw us, "Why! I asked Gen. Sherman to send me 
10,000 soldiers and he has sent me a band of ragamuffins 
and guerrillas. " This is where, and how it came to pass 
that we received the name which stuck to us until the 
close of the war. Intended in derision by Gen. Banks, no 
doubt, it soon became a pseudonym by which one of the 
best divisions in the western army was ever afterwards 
known, " Smith's Guerrillas. " 

March 26th we broke camp and marched up the river. 
It was now generally known that Shrevesport was our 
objective point — a strongly fortified position. March 29th 
we reached and camped at a point on Red River known as 
the Burr Patch. We here again embarked on transports 
and under convoy of gunboats moved up the river to a 
landing called Grand Ecore. At this point we disembarked 
and lay in camp till the 7th of April, when we moved out 
in the rear of Gen. Banks' army, which had passed this 
point some two days. It seemed that we had made such 
an unfavorable impression on Gen. Banks that he wished 
us as much out of sight as possible and hence kept us 
about a dav's inarch in the rear. 

Battle of Sabine Cross Roads. 

The 13th Corps encountered in force at Sabine Cross 
Roads, on the 8th of April, Generals Kirby Smith and 


Taylor, commanding the enemy, who were apprised of the 
fact that Gen. Banks' troops were scattered along the road 
for twenty miles. Upon this knowledge they determined 
to give battle outside the defenses at Shrevesport, and 
chose this point, about forty-five miles southeast. The 
result of the battle was a complete defeat and route of 
Gen. Banks' army in detail. The night of the 8th of 
April closed in with the 13th and 19th Corps in full 
retreat, falling back on Pleasant Hill. The 16th Corps, 
under Gen. A. J. Smith, had marched hard all day the 8th, 
reaching Pleasant Hill at dark, and went into camp in 
close column by regiments. We had heard Gen. Banks' 
artillery all the afternoon of the 8th, and knew he was 
being driven back. This meant that the men whom Gen. 
Banks had called guerrillas would be in demand on the 

Battle of Pleasant Hill. 

On the morning of the 9th of April Gen. Smith's guer- 
rillas had no revielle. About 3 a. m. our company officers 
came around nudging the sleeping men in the sides, in 
commands given in whispers ordered them to fall in line, 
and we were held in readiness to move. At daylight Col. 
Shaw's brigade moved out on the Mansfield road about 
one mile, relieving our cavalry, who were already skirm- 
ishing. We were posted in a strong position along the 
east side of a cotton field, facing west, with a section of 
the 25th N. Y. Battery. We lay in this position all the 
forenoon with nothing to relieve the monotony except an 
occasional shell from our artillery feeling for the enemy 
in the woods beyond and frequent shots from the enemy's 
sharpshooters. About 2 p. m. the enemy opened on our 
line with artillery. Our two pieces of artillery at once 
limbered up and went to the rear under whip. The ene- 
my,' thinking this was a continuation of the rout of the 
day before, charged our lines with a regiment of Texas 
cavalry. They, little dreaming that in the timber on the 

other side of the field lay a line ot grim veterans who had 
seen service at Fort Donelson, Corinth, the Hornet's 
Nest at Shiloh, and in the trenches around Vicksburg, 
made a magnificent charge to defeat and death. The ene- 
my's infantry then charged and our small brigade was soon 
fighting in front and flank. We held our position until 
the enemy had nearly cut us off from our main line, when 
we were compelled to fall back. We took a position two 
hundred and fifty yards from our first stand, which we 
held for over an hour and a half. Here occurred the most 
desperate fighting of the day, being almost a face to face 
combat. Overwhelming numbers at last forced us back to 
our- reserve line, after losing quite a number taken prison- 
ers. About sundown the final crash came when the 
enemy dashed against our massed line of artillery and 
infantry held in reserve. Night closed in with Smith's 
guerrillas victorious and the enemy in full retreat towards 
Mansfield. The heaviest loss in the battle fell on Shaw's 
brigade, being estimated at two thirds of the whole loss 
sustained in the engagement, amounting to some five 
hundred men killed, wounded and taken prisoners. The 
enemy's loss was estimated at one thousand killed and 
wounded, eight hundred prisoners and eleven pieces of 

While Smith's guerrillas were fighting the battle of 
Pleasant Hill, Gen. Banks, with the 13th and 19th Corps, 
were improving the time in retreating. After caring for 
our wounded by placing them in hospitals and detailing 
surgeons and nurses from our ranks to care for them, about 
noon of the 10th we commenced to fall back towards 
Grand Ecore, following Gen. Banks' army, which had 
preceded us, a shameful retreat and one that would 
never have been made had Gen. A. J. Smith been com- 
mander-in-chief. But Gen. Banks was whipped and 
thoroughly incompetent to command, and seemed to only 
have one idea — that was to get back to New Orleans as 
quickly as possible. His men under him seemed to share 
fully his demoralized condition. The 16th Corps were 


saucy and full of fight aud had the utmost confidence in 
Gen. Smith, a feeling that was mutual between the com- 
mander and the men under him. We arrived at Grand 
Ecore on the 12th, and learning that our transports and 
gunboats were cooped up at Blair's Landing, some twenty 
miles up the river, with some of the transports aground 
and a confederate battery below them, Gen. A. J. Smith 
at once crossed the river and hurried to their relief with 
the 16th Corps. After driving away the battery below and 
seeing the fleet safely on their way down the river, we 
returned to Grand Ecore and on the 22d of April took up 
our line of retreat for Alexandria. During this time 
Generals Kirby Smith and Taylor, commanding the Con- 
federate forces, had not been idle, but were moving troops 
down the river to harass our retreat as much as possible. 
On the 23d we had a lively skirmish with them at Coul- 
terville. Again at Monett Bluff April 23d. Here we 
found the enemy posted in a strong position on the bluff 
on the east side of the river. The 16th Corps was guard- 
ing the rear; the 13th and 19th Corps failing to drive the 
enemy, we were ordered up from the rear, forming on the 
right of the 19th Corps, fixed bayonets and charged. The 
enemy fell back and gave us for the time undisputed pos- 
session of the right of way. It was here that Gen. A. J. 
Smith informed Gen. Banks, in language more forceful 
than eloquent, that he would do the fighting at either end 
of the line of retreat, front or rear, but would not do both. 
We resumed our march on the 24th, the 16th Corps guard- 
ing the rear, without much trouble from the Johnnies, but 
when they pushed us too closely we would form a line of 
battle and they would very prudently keep at a safe dis- 
tance. In this manner we continued to retreat to Alexan- 
dria, reaching there about April 30th. 

The fleet had already arrived, but the water on the falls 
was so low it began to look like we would have to lose 
our gunboats or stay there and guard them. In the mean- 
time, to complicate the situation, Gen. Dick Taylor, com- 
manding the Confederate forces, came up with about 


1st Lieut. Co. E, 21st Regiment Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. 
Vice-President 21st Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. Association. 

18,000 men. On the 2d of May the 16th Corps was busily 
engaged at Henderson's Hill skirmishing with their 
advance lines. The situation was now a gloomy one 
indeed, but at this critical moment Col. Bailey, of the 28th 
Wisconsin, suggested that the water on the falls could be 
raised by building wing dams, and as chief engineer he 
was detailed to superintend this work, and the 13th and 
19th Corps placed at his disposal to do the work, while 
Gen. Smith, of the 16th, was drawn up in line of battle, 
south and east of town, watching the enemy; skirmishing 
with them May 3d at Jones' Plantation, May 4th at Bayou 
LaMore, May 6th and 7th at Bayou Boeuf. Gen. Taylor 
then drew off, moving down the river some twenty miles, 
planting his batteries on the river bank and sinking two 
of our light gunboats and capturing our mail boat and 

About the 12th of May, the dam proving a success, the 
fleet passed below the falls. On the 14th we resumed our 
line of march for the mouth of Red River, Gen. Taylor 
falling back in front of us. On the 16th we found him 
drawn up in line of battle on the Marksville Prairie. 
After three hours' fighting he fell back and took a position 
on Bayou De Glaze. On the 17th, after a sharp skirmish 
with him, he drew off to one side and let us pass. We then 
moved on down, the 13th and 19th Corps going into camp 
at Simmsport, on the Atchafalaya river, while the 16th 
Corps took up a position some three miles in the rear, on 
the east bank of Yellow Bayou. 

Battle of Yellow Bayou. 

May the 18th, 1864, the long roll called us to arms 
about 12 m. Shaw's Brigade with Battery E, 2d Mo. 
Artillery, crossed the Yellow Bayou and double-quicked 
about a half mile to the front and immediately became 
engaged with the enemy's advance. As fast as the several 
regiments of the 16th and 17th Corps reached the field 
they formed on our left. All the afternoon the tide of 


battle ebbed and flowed along the south bank of Bayou 
Rapides. Night closed in with Gen. Taylor falling back 
and Gen. Smith's men in possession of the battle-field. 
Our loss was about five hundred killed and wounded. The 
enemy's must have been much greater as they made seve- 
ral determined assaults on our lines. We captured about 
three hundred and fifty prisoners and from them we learned 
that Gen. Taylor had about fifteen thousand men engaged, 
about twice the number under Gen. Smith. About dark 
on the evening of the 18th, the 13th Corps arrived on the 
field and took position in front of Smith's tired and bleed- 
ing troops. 

May the 19th, early in the morning, the 13th Corps 
marched back to Simm's Landing, leaving Geu. Smith with 
the 1 6th and 17th Corps, at the front. Gen. Taylor show- 
ing no disposition to resume hostilities and learning that 
the 13th and 19th Corps were safely across the pontoons on 
the Atchafalaya river, about 1 p. m. we took up our pon- 
toon bridge across Yellow Bayou and the 16th Corps fol- 
lowed and crossed to the east bank of the Atchafalaya and 
camped, just sixty-five days from the time we first camped 
on the west bank on our way to Fort De Russy. On the 
20th of May we reached the mouth of Red River. We 
here met our transports and the portion of the 21st Mo. 
that went home on veteran furlough, and embarked for 
Vicksburg. The 13th Corps went south to New Orleans. 

Comments on the Seventy Days' Campaign. 

The Red River Campaign was at last, after seventy 
days, at an end. It was a failure and as barren of results so 
far as having any visible effects in hastening the close of 
the war, as it would have been if made to the North Pole. 
History records it as one of the severest campaigns of the 
war. The men suffered more from hardships and priva- 
tions than any other portion of the army. Especially 
was this true of the 16th Corps, which, on account of the 
incompetency of Gen. Banks and his apparent dislike of 


the Corps, was always placed in the most exposed positions, 
either in the advanced front or in the rear. It was also 
unprovided with clothing and shoes and at the close of the 
campaign presented a most abject appearance. Indeed 
Gen. Banks might in truth have called the men, from their 
appearance, " Smith's Guerrillas. " 


The following is the list of the battles and skirmishes 
engaged in during the seventy days' fighting by the 
detachment from the 21st Missouri. 

Fort De Russey, La March 14th, 1864 

Pleasant Hill, 
Cane River, 
Henderson's Hill, 
Jones' Plantation, 
Bayou La More, 
Bayou Boeuf, 
Bayou De Glaize, 
Yellow Bayou, 



9 th, 




4 th, 





Gen. Banks' losses in the 13th and 19th Army Corps were 
about three thousand men, killed, wounded and prisoners, 
twenty-two pieces of artillery and one hundred and forty- 
five wagons loaded with commissary stores and camp 
equipments. The losses of the- parts of the 16th and 17th 
Army Corps present, commanded by Gen. A. J. Smith, 
were about one thousand from all causes. In the several 
battles and skirmishes we were engaged in we captured 
from the enemy two thousand prisoners and thirty pieces 
of artillery. These captures were made in battles fought 
by Gen. Smith's command, in which Gen. Banks' men 
had no part. Col. Shaw's Brigade sustained the greatest 
loss of any on the expedition and- it was equal to about 
one-half that sustained by the whole command under Gen. 


The detachment of the 21st Missouri lost about fifty 
men, killed, wounded and prisoners, including one officer 
of the 24th Missouri, assigned. That we did our whole 
duty, I need only call attention to the fact that after the 
battle of Pleasant Hill, La., Maj. Robt. Fyan, command- 
ing the 24th and detachment of the 21st Missouri, person- 
ally thanked the members of the 21st for gallantry during 
the action. The loss of the 24th and 21st combined dur- 
ing the campaign was three officers killed, namely: Capt. 
Robinson, Lieuts. Shadel and Stone, and one Color Ser- 
geant killed and one wounded, Wm. O'Connor of the 21st, 
making a total loss of about one hundred men killed, 
wounded and missing. 

Parting Between the 21st and 24th. 

We reached Vicksburg about the 21st of June and there 
took leave of the 24th Missouri, and returned to our own 
regiment, which had returned from its veteran furlough 
north. While we were with the 24th Missouri we became 
very much attached to the officers and men. The officers 
were courteous and the men true comrades. 

In writing the foregoing account of the part taken by 
our brigade and regiment I have had nothing to aid me 
except my memory of the events narrated, in all of which 
I was an active participant. And in conclusion I now ask 
the charitable consideration of comrades and the general 
reader for any imperfections it may contain. 

T. W. Holman, 
Co. D, 21st Missouri Infantry. 


Private, Co. D, 21st Regiment Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. 

Sec'y and Treas,, 21st Missouri Inf. Vet. Vols. Association. 

Resumption of the History of the 21st. 

AT Vicksburg the detachment of the 21st taking part in 
the Red River campaign joined their comrades who 
had returned at the expiration of their thirty days' fur- 
lough. On June 4th the regiment left Vicksburg on a 
steamer, en route up the river for Memphis. The Confed- 
erates, however, had erected batteries on the west bank of 
the river, preventing the transports from proceeding. A 
landing was made at a point called Columbia, on June 5th, 
and on the following day the regiment was marched 
around Lake Providence and had an engagement with the 
enemy at Lake Chicot. The Confederates were completely 
routed and the blockade of the river removed. On the 7th 
the command re- embarked on the transports and arrived at 
Memphis on the 10th without any further incident. 

On June the 12th the regiment was ordered to the 
relief of Gen. Sturgis, who had been defeated a few days 
previous at Gun Town. The retreating Federals were 
met at Colliersville, and under the escort of the 21st made 
the trip into Memphis without being molested by the 

On June 25th the regiment, along with the 1st Brigade, 
3d Division, to which it belonged, moved out of the city 
and encamped at Moscow, on the Memphis and Charleston 
Railroad, and on the 26th held Division review. On June 
27th- the regiment was moved to La Grange, Tenn., 
where it was encamped until July 8th. At this time it 
was marched to Pontotoc, Miss., going by way of Ripley, 
and traversing a distance of over one hundred miles, and 

on the route the regiment was continuously fighting and 
skirmishing with the cavalry of the enemy under Gen. 
Forrest. On July 13th another move was made, to Tupelo, 
Miss., a distance of twenty miles, where an engagement 
with the enemy, known to history as the battle of Tupelo, 
took place. The 21st took a conspicuous part in this 
engagement, as will be seen by reading the report of Col. 
Edwin Moore, here published: 

Col. Moore's Report. 

Headquarters 2ist Mo. Inf. Vols. \ 
Memphis, Tenn., July i8th, 1864. | 
Lieut. Sam'l D. Sawyer, 

A. A. Gen-'l, ist Brigade. 
Lieutenant: — I have the honor to report the part taken 
by the 21st Mo. Infantry Volunteers at the battle of Tupelo 
on the 14th day of July, 1864. About 6 o'clock a. m. we 
were formed in line of battle with the brigade, the 119th 
Illinois Infantry Volunteers being on our left and the 58th 
Illinois Infantry on our right. About 7:30 a. m. the ene- 
my opened on us with artillery, which continued until 9 
o'clock a. m., when they advanced their infantry in line 
of battle, driving in our skirmishers precipitately. 
They came within twenty paces of our line when I gave 
the order to fire and immediately after to advance. The 
fire was well directed and took the enemy by surprise, who 
fled in great disorder, with the regiment in pursuit, and 
for fifteen or twenty minutes a continuous and deadly fire 
was poured in upon them; its effect was visible on the 
field. There being no enemy in sight after advancing 
four hundred and fifty yards, we returned to our former 
position and were not again attacked during the day, 
although frequently subjected to a heavy artillery fire. 
The officers and men of the command behaved with the 
utmost gallantry, obeying every order with that prompt- 
ness which secures success. Our loss was one man killed 
and fifteen wounded. 

Edwin Moore, 
Lieut. -Col. 21st Mo. Inf. Vols., Com. 

On the day following the Tupelo fight the command 
was ordered back to Memphis. On the same day, while 
encamped for dinner, we were attacked by the Confederates 

who were, however, repulsed after a lively skirmish, and 
the men resumed their meal. This time they were 
allowed to eat in peace and to finally reach Memphis with- 
out any further brushes with the enemy. On August 5th 
the regiment was sent on another excursion in pursuit of 
the Confederate General Forrest, who was reported to be 
rendezvousing in the vicinity of Memphis. On the Tala- 
hatchie river they first encountered the enemy, when a 
lively skirmish took place. This was on August 9th. 
The next brush with the Confederates occurred on the 12th, 
and again at Hurricane Creek on the 13th. Oxford, a 
distance of one hundred and fifty miles from Memphis, was 
reached August 22d. Here, after meeting and repulsing 
the enemy, startling news was received from Memphis, by 
courier, to the effect that Forrest had captured and was in 
possession of the city. There was an immediate call to 
arms and in double quick time the command was hurried 
on the journey back to recapture the city. They arrived, 
however, to find that the Confederate leader had been in 
the city but had taken his departure. 

On September 5th, 1864, the regiment embarked on the 
steamer W. R. Wallace for Cairo, 111. They were confined 
on board transports at Cairo when orders were received to 
proceed to St. Louis to assist in repelling the invasion of 
Missouri by the Confederates unde*r Gen. Price. On 
arriving at St. Louis the regiment was moved down the 
Iron Mountain R. R. , to De Sota, to intercept Gen. Price, 
who was reported at or near Pilot Knob. Gen. Price 
failed to show up at that point but was reported moving 
in the direction of Jefferson City. On learning this fact 
the command was hastily put on cars and returned to Jef- 
ferson Barracks, near St. Louis. Then commenced the 
long, weary inarch after Price, through Central Missouri, 
going by way of Franklin, Jefferson City, Sedalia, Lex- 
ington and Independence. The command came up with 
the rear guard of the enemy at Little Blue, about three 
miles west of Independence, on October 23d. Here, after 
skirmishing, they were routed. Gen. Price being harassed 

by Federal troops, both front and rear, commenced 
retreating out of the State, the infantry following him 
south to Harrisonville, where the chase was abandoned by 
the infantry, the cavalry following him on into Arkansas. 
The infantry returned towards St. Louis, marching by 
way of Pleasant Hill, Lexington and Glasgow, where they 
crossed over to the north side of the Missouri river; 
resuming the march from the river, by way of Fayette, 
Columbia, Warreuton, High Hill and St. Charles, where 
the command crossed back to the south side of the Mis- 
souri river, marching to and arriving in St. Louis on the 
23d of November. On this pursuit after Gen. Price the 
division, with which was the 21st Missouri, made a forced 
march of fifty-six miles, which was the longest continued 
march known in military history. 

On the trip back to St. Louis the command was being 
continually annoyed by Quantrell's and Anderson's guer- 
rillas, and lost several men killed by these outlaws. 

Gen. A. J. Smith, commanding the 16th Army Corps, 
having received orders to report to Gen. George H. 
Thomas at Nashville, Tenn., the 21st Missouri embarked 
on board the steamer Mars en route for Nashville, where 
they arrived on the 30th of November. Leaving the 
steamer, the 21st was moved out two miles southwest of 
the city and threw up breastworks to assist in repelling the 
attack of the Confederate General Hood, which was 
hourly expected. Hood appeared on December the 1st 
and began a regular siege ot Nashville, which continued 
until the 15th of December, when Gen. Thomas moved 
out of his intrenchments, hurling the 16th Corps, which 
held the position on his right, against Hood's left. The 
enemy was driven back, doubling his left flank back on 
his center, capturing a number of prisoners and several 
pieces of artillery. The night of the 15th closed in with 
Hood's crushed and bleeding army driven back to a strong- 
ly fortified position in the Brentwood Hills, some three 
miles from the position he held in the morning. The 
battle was resumed early on the morning of the 16th, with 

varying results until 3 p. m., when Gen. Thomas, seeing 
the decisive moment had come, ordered a general assault, 
and Hood's broken and reeling columns were sent whirl- 
ing down the pikes in the direction of Columbia, Tenn. 
Thus ended the vain boast of President Davis, at Macon, 
made to the Tennessee troops after the capture of Atlanta 
by Sherman: " Tennesseeans, be of good cheer; you will 
soon see the green fields of Kentucky." The remnant of 
the proud army that had dealt Gen. Sherman so many 
crushing blows was hurrying to make its escape across the 
Tennessee river — to escape complete annihilation. 

On the morning of the 17th of December, 1864, the 16th 
Corps, under Gen. A. J. Smith, was ordered in pursuit of 
Gen. Hood's fleeing army. The pursuing army followed 
to Clifton, by way of Pulaski, and arrived at Clifton on 
the 2d of January. Here they embarked on board trans- 
ports en route for Eastport, Miss., where they arrived on 
the 7th of January, 1865, and went into camp, remaining 
in camp and performing usual routine duty until February 
9th, when they embarked on transports for New Orleans, 
where they landed on February 21st. They remained in 
New Orleans in camp until March 22d, when they took 
steamer and were carried, by way of Lake Pontchartrain 
and the Gulf, to Dauphin Island, at the foot of Mobile 
Bay, where they camped, arriving on the 24th. A few 
days afterwards another move was made to Spanish Fort, 
near Mobile, via Fish river and a land march. The Fort 
was invested and captured on April 8th. On the 3d of 
April the division, in which was the 21st regiment, began 
operations against Fort Blakely, taking part in the many 
skirmishes in the approach and siege of that important 
Confederate stronghold, and in its final capture on April 
9th. In the charge on the fortifications on the 9th, the 
21st had two color bearers killed and was the first regi- 
ment to plant its flag on the ramparts. In the charge the 
loss of the regiment was heavy, about equal to that of the 
whole brigade. 

We had at Blakely the rumor of Lee's surrender, during 

the afternoon of the charge and capture of the fort. The 
bugle sounded the charge at 6 o'clock p. m. and in seven 
and one-half minutes the fort surrendered. This was the 
last battle of the war. The Federal loss was two thousand 
killed and wounded. We captured thirty-two cannon and 
four thousand prisoners. Thus the 21st Missouri was 
engaged in the last battle of the war as well as in one of 
the first. 

On April 13th the 21st Regiment marched with the 16th 
Corps to Montgomery, Alabama, arriving on the 27th and 
going into camp two miles northeast of the city. Here 
they remained in camp until June 1st, when they were 
taken, with the brigade, to Providence Landing, on the 
Alabama River, reaching there June 4th, and embarked 
on a steamer the same day for Mobile. On the arrival of 
the regiment at Mobile they went into camp in the sub- 
urbs. Here they remained, doing outpost and other guard 
duty until March, when they were ordered to Fort Mor- 
gan for duty, and on April 19th, 1866, were mustered out. 

This was the last day of the organization known as the 
21st Missouri Infantry Volunteers. After their long and 
arduous labors in defence of their country came the sol- 
diers' reward — an honorable discharge from the service 
and then the going home to family and loved ones. But 
there was many a long drawn sigh, for who among the 
survivors of this heroic band failed to recall some gallant 
comrade, who, full of pride and patriotic ambition, left 
the Missouri home never to return. On this battle field 
and that one their bodies lay buried; a soldier's grave, 
unmarked and unidentified; a family of expectant loved 
ones, in fond old Missouri, waiting and watching in vain. 
But this was war, the cruel war now over. 

Camp was broken on the 19th of April, 1866, and with 
their discharges the men took their departure for their 
Missouri homes. 


In service from July 15th, 1861, to April 19th, 1866. 
For the whole period of service, total enrollment: 

Field Officers 21 

Line Officers 78 

Privates and Non-Commissioned Officers, 1580 

Grand total 1 679 

Losses during the war from all causes 834 

Survivors on April 19th, 1866 845 

The above figures are not claimed to be absolutely cor- 
rect. There is a great lacking of data in the written 
records of the regiment and reports of officers, but they 
are compiled by those familiar with the history of the 
regiment, from its organization to its discharge, and after 
great pains and labor they give them, believing that they 
are at least very nearly true. 


December 30th, 1864, the designation of the 3d Division, 
16th Army Corps, was changed to 2d Division, Detach- 
ment Army of the Tennessee, Maj. Gen. A. J. Smith com- 
manding; Brigadier Gen. Kenner Garrard commanding 
the 2d Division. 

February 22d, 1865, the designation of the Army of the 
Tennessee was changed to the 16th Army Corps, and the 
2d Division, Brig. Gen. Garrard commanding, formerly 
the old 3d, 16th Army Corps, was thereafter known as the 
2d of the reorganized 16th Corps. 

During the war the 21st Missouri was attached to the 
following Divisions: 

1st Brigade, 6th Division, Army of West Tennessee. 
1st Brigade, 3d Division, 16th Army Corps. 
1st Brigade, 2d Division, Detachment Army of the Tenn. 
1st Brigade, 2d Division, 16th Army Corps. 


Col. D. Moore, Jan. 17, 1862; mustered out, expiration of term, Feb. 11, '65. 
Col. James D. Lyon, Aug. 17, 1865; resigned as Lieut. Col. Aug. 7, 1865. 
Col. Joseph G. Best, Sept. 30, 1865. 

Lieut. Col. H. M. Woodyard, Jan. 17, 1862; resigned Jan. 27, 1864. 
Lieut. Col. Edwin Moore, March 30, 1864; mustered out, expiration of term, 

Feb. 11, 1865. 
Lieut. Col. James D. Lyon, April 20, 1865; promoted Colonel. 
Lieut. Col. Joseph G. Best, Aug. 17, 1865; promoted Colonel. 
Lieut. Col. Henry McGonigle, Sept. 30, 1865. 

Maj. Barnabas B. King, Jan. 17, 1862; killed at Shiloh, Tenn., April 6,'62. 
Maj. Edwin Moore, May 27, 1862; promoted Lieut. Col. March 30, 1864. 
Maj. George W. Fulton, Aug. 5, 1864; resigned Dec. 11, 1864. 
Maj. Charles W. Tracy, Jan. 25, 1865; revoked. 
Maj. James D. Lyon, Sept. 29, 1864; transferred from 24th Mo. Infantry; 

promoted Lieutenant Colonel. 
Maj. Joseph G. Best, May 30, 1865; promoted Lieut. Col. Aug. 17, 1865. 
Maj. Henry McGonigle, Aug. 17, 1865; promoted Lieut. Col. Sept. 30, '65. 
Maj. E. K. Blackburn, Sept. 30, 1865. 

Adjt. Chas. C. Tobin, March 27, 1862; died in prison May 6, 1862. 
Adjt. Jas. B. Comstock, July 9, 1863; promoted Capt. A. A.G. U.S. Vols. 
Adjt. Stephen Hall, Aug. 2, 1865. 
Quarter Master D. W. Pressell, March 25, 1862. 

Surgeon R. H. Wyman, Dec. 21, 1861; mustered out S. O. 241, April 23, '62. 
Surgeon R. H Wyman, May 21, 1862; restored to service; resigned June 

11, 1862. 
Surgeon David Skillings, June 18, 1862; vacated S. O 108, A. A. G. Mo. 
Surgeon J. H. Seaton, July 26, 1862; resigned June 2, 1863. 
Surgeon Abel C. Roberts, July 9, 1863. 

Ass't Surg. J. H. Seaton, March 25, 1862; promoted Surgeon July 22,1862. 
Ass't Surg. W. Knickerbocker, April 25, 1863. 
Ass't Surg. F. G. Stanley, June 12, 1863. 
Chaplain John H. Cox, May 20, 1862; resigned April 23, 1864. 

CO. A. 

Capt Charles Yust, March 27, 1862. 

1 st Lieut. Henry Menn, March 27, 1862; resigned July 12. 1862. 

1st Lieut. August Gloeser, July 22, 1862; resigned April 21, 1864. 

1st Lieut. Thomas E. Amburn, Nov. 26, 1864. 

2d Lieut. Edwin Turner, March 27, 1862; resigned May 1, 1862. 

2d Lieut. Edward F. Nelson, May 27, 1862; resigned Oct. 27, 1864. 

2d Lieut. G. F. Malthaner, Sept. 30, 1865. 


CO. B. 

Capt. Joseph Story, March 27, 1862; resigned July 12, 1862. 

Capt. Josiah W. Davis, Jan. 5, 1862. 

1st Lieut. L. D. Woodruff, March 27, 1862; resigned July 13, 1862. 

1st Lieut. Richard Reese, Aug. 2, 1862. 

2d Lieut. Edward Fox, March 27, 1862; died May 19, 1862. 

2d Lieut. Jeremy Hall, Oct. 4, 1862; mustered out at expiration of term of 

service, Dec. 5, 1864. 
2d Lieut. Owen S. Hagle, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. C 

Capt. Simon Pearce, March 27, 1862; mustered out March, 1865. 

Capt. Benjamin S. Palmer, Sept. 30, 1865. 

1st Lieut. William Lester, March 27, 1862; resigned March 29; 1862. 

1st Lieut. W- H. Simpson, May 20, 1862; resigned Aug. 31, 1862. 

1st Lieut. T. H. Richardson, Jan. 5, 1862; died in hospital at Memphis, 

Tenn., June 11, 1863. 
1st Lieut. Frank M. Goff, Sept. 12, 1864; died of wounds April 10, 1865. 
1st Lieut. Stephen Hall, July 6, 1865; promoted Adjutant Aug. 20, 1865. 
1st Lieut. Benjamin S. Palmer, Aug. 2, 1865; promoted Captain. 
1st Lieut. C. D. Dowell, Sept. 30, 1865. 

2d Lieut. T. H. Richardson, March 27, 1862; promoted 1st Lieut. Dec. 29, '62. 
2d Lieut. James McFall, Jan. 5, 1863; resigned March 21, 1864. 
2d Lieut. Frank M. Goff, Aug. 22, 1864; promoted 1st Lieut. 
2d Lieut. Ezra Hambleton, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. D. 

Capt. N. W. Murrow, March 27, 1862; resigned July 12, 1862. 

Capt. Henry McGonigle, Oct. 4, 1862; promoted Major Aug. 17, 1865. 

Capt. Joshua Hagle, Sept. 30, 1865. 

1st Lieut. Henry McGonigle, March 27, 1862; promoted Capt. July 13, '62. 

1st Lieut. Joshua Hagle, Feb. 11, 1863; promoted Captain. 

1st Lieut. Charles L. Norton, Sept 30, 1865. 

2d Lieut. Lewis J. Ainslie, March 27, 1862; resigned Oct. 22, 1862. 

2d Lieut. Charles C Murray, Feb. 27, 1863; resigned Aug. 29, 1865. 

2d Lieut. Benjamin F. Jenkins, Oct. 18, 1865. 

CO. E. 

Capt. Geo. W. Fulton, March 27, 1862; resigned Jan. 16, 1863. 

Capt E. B. Shafer, Sept. 12, 1864. 

ist;Lieut T. M. McQuoid, March 27, 1862; resigned Dec. 17, 1862. 

1st Lieut. James B Comstock, Feb. 24, 1863; commissioned Adjutant. 

1st Lieut E. B. Shafer, April 23, 1864; promoted Captain. 

1st Lieut. Nehemiah D. Starr, Sept. 12, 1864; resigned Aug. 2, 1865. 

1st Lieut Martin N. Sinnott, Sept. 30, 1865. 

2d Lieut W. J. Pulis, March 27, 1862; resigned April 22, 1862. 

2d Lieut. James B. Comstock, Aug. 14, 1862; promoted 1st Lt. Jan. 1, '63, 

2d Lieut. E. B. Shafer, Feb. 24, 1863; promoted 1st Lieut. April 23, 1863. 


2d Lieut. N D. Starr, May 24, 1864; promoted 1st Lieut. 

2d Lieut. Martin N. Sinnott, Sept. 12, 1864; promoted 1st Lieut. 

2d Lieut. William H. Smith, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. F. 

Capt. Joseph T. Farris, March 27, 1862; resigned Jan. 16, 1863. 

Capt. Alex. F. Tracy, Feb. 23, 1863; resigned Aug. 29, 1865. 

Capt. Isaac C. Schram, Sept. 30, 1865. 

1st Lieut. Alex. F. Tracy, March 27, 1862; promoted Captain Jan. 17, '63. 

1st Lieut. F. A. Whittemore, Feb. 23, 1863; mustered out expiration term 

of service, Feb. 11, 1865. 
1st Lieut. Richard D. Andrews, Sept. 30, 1865. 

2d Lieut. F. A. Whittemore, March 27, 1862; promoted 1st Lt. Jan. 17, '63. 
2d Lieut. Peter H. Orr, Feb. 23, 1863; killed on picket duty Oct. 27, 1863. 
2d Lieut. Isaac C Schram, April 22, 1864; promoted Captain. 
2d Lieut. David Danforth, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. G. 

Capt T. H. Roseberry, March 27, 1862; resigned Aug. 31, 1862. 

Capt. E. K. Blackburn, Jan- 5, 1863; promoted Major Sept. 30, 1865. 

Capt. Daniel R. Allen, Sept. 30, 1865. 

1st Lieut. E. K Blackburn, March 27, 1862; promoted Capt. Dec. 29, '62. 

1st Lieut. Daniel R. Allen, Jan. 5, 1863; promoted Capt. Sept. 30, 1865. 

1st Lieut. Robert H. Harris, Sept. 30, 1865. 

2d Lieut. Daniel R. Allen, March 27, 1862; promoted 1st Lieut. Dec. 30/62. 

2d Lieut. Robert H. Harris, Jan 5, 1863; promoted 1st Lieut. 9ept. 30, '65. 

2d Lieut. Thomas H. Roseberry, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. H. 

Capt John H. Cox, March 27, 1862; commissioned Capt. April 22, 1862. 

Capt. Charles W. Tracy, May 27, 1862. 

Capt. James Smith, July 6, 1865. 

1st Lieut. Peter Washburn, March 27, 1862; resigned Aug. 31, 1862. 

1st Lieut. Logan Tomkins, Nov. 19, 1862; resigned Dec. 20, 1864. 

1st Lieut. James Smith, Feb. 24, 1865; promoted Captain. 

1st Lieut. G. K. Jones, July 6, 1865. 

2d Lieut. W. P. Rickey, March 27, 1862; resigned April 22, 1862. 

2d Lieut. James Smith, May 27, 1862; promoted 1st Lieut. 

2d Lieut. G. K. Jones, Feb. 24, 1865; promoted 1st Lieut. 

2d Lieut. Geo. Coffman, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. I. 

Capt. W. H. Harle, March 27, 1862; resigned July 11, 1862. 

Capt. Joseph G. Best, July 22, 1862; promoted Major May 30, 1865. 

Capt. Jeremiah Hamilton, July 6, 1865. 

1st Lieut. Joseph Oliver, March 27, 1862; resigned June 12, 1862. 

1st Lieut. Joseph G. Best, June 18, 1862; promoted Captain. 


ist Lieut. Geo. W. Stein, Jan. 5, 1863; mustered out expiration of term of 

service, Dec. 5, 1864. 
ist Lieut. Jeremiah Hamilton, Dec. 17, 1864; promoted Captain, 
ist Lieut. Henry Deems, July 6, 1865. 

2d Lieut. Hudson Rice, March 27, 1862; resigned July 22, 1862. 
2d Lieut. Geo. W. Stein, Aug. 2, 1862; promoted ist Lieut. 
2d Lieut. Cyrenus Russel, Jan. 5, 1863; mustered out at expiration of term 

of service Feb. 3, 1865. 
2d Lieut. William H. Smith, Sept. 30, 1865. 

CO. K. 

Capt. Frederic Leeser, March 27, 1862^ resigned Jan. 7, 1863. 

Capt. Louis Puster, March 28, 1863. 

ist Lieut. A. D. Starkweather, March 27, 1862; resigned Oct. 27, 1864. 

ist Lieut. W. A- Weaver, Dec. 16, 1864. 

2d Lieut. Geo. M. Davis, March 27, 1862; discharged disability Dec. 11, '63. 

2d Lieut. Carlton T. Shamp, Sept, 30, 1865. 

All officers not noted by death or otherwise discharged, or resigned from 
the service, served until the close of the war and were mustered out with 
the regiment on the 19th of April, 1866. 

All officers whose commissions are dated March 27, 1862, ranked from 
July 15th, 1861; all others from date of commission. 


Of the 21st Missouri at Edina, Missouri. 

It is near thirty years since we came here to recruit after the 
battles of Shiloh and Corinth. 


As we grasp old comrades by the hand, 

The tears unbidden flow, 
And memory swiftly calls us back 

To some thirty years ago. 

When with but one blanket to our back, 

As we lay upon the snow, 
And slowly munched our last hard tack 

Near thirty years ago, 

And talked of scenes of mortal strife 

Through which we've had to go, 
Thinking of home and the dear wife, 

While time moved on so slow. 

And as we pass the lone grave yards, 

Where all in time must go, 
We often think of lonely graves 

Made some thirty years ago. 

Think of the breast works we have charged, 

Where the dead so thickly lay, 
And how we tumbled them into the trench, 

The blue as well as the gray. 

We seem to hear the long roll beat, 

That warns us of the foe, 
Then hear them sound their own retreat, 

And it's all peace here below. 

And when we've heard the last roll call, 

Seen our last of earthly scenes, 
With our old blue coat for a pall 

We'll lay down to pleasant dreams. 

And with our flag still waving o'er us, 

That blessed emblem of the free, 
We'll join in that immortal chorus 

And help sound the jubilee. 

Composed by A. W. Harlan, of Co. F, 21st Mo. 

Croton, Ioiva, Sept. 24th. 1892. 

\ \l.l>" 

s h\»»U' \ a 

i\Vi vVsv< ' ; .