From: Maximilian C. Forte

To: Lynne Guitar

Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 10:44 PM

Subject: Comparing Amerindians in the History of Trinidad and Taino History in

the D.R.

In many ways the history of Trinidad and DR under the Spanish echo each other, except
that Trinidad was an even more extreme case of Spanish neglect and ineptitude (I mean
from a colonialist vantage point), of incomplete dominion, of constant pressure from rival
European powers, of people lured to the mainland. The difference with Trinidad is that it
has always been closely integrated with the Venezuelan sphere, from which most of its
indigenous inhabitants came, and continued to come throughout Spanish and even British
rule. This is a bit of a paradox: indigenous, yet immigrant. For Venezuelan aboriginals
such as the Warao, Trinidad was never a foreign country — indeed, parts of Trinidad are
still central to Warao cosmology as a physical part of their spiritual landscape (perhaps
similar to the Australian Aboriginal concept of "the Dreaming"?), and up until recent
times they raided the south of the island, allegedly to steal clothing and even babies
asleep at night (that is one way of expanding one's gene pool, for certain, assuming the
stories even have any basis in fact).

The point I take from your paper is that the sloppiest scholarship, unquestioned and
unsupported assertions, have made for the Taino extinction myth. In my mind, where

extinction occurs under the noses of those present, there would be some legend, some
memorable narrative of the LAST such person to die. In Tobago, where presumably
nobody is left who identifies with an Amerindian heritage, there indeed is an account of
the last Carib to set off in his canoe for Grenada, I believe around 1809. The point is,
when a whole people vanish, those looking on would tend to record it — if not, that would
be quite remarkable indifference, even for the most hardened of European conquerors
who still harboured some primitive romantic kernel in their outlooks on "the savages". To
argue for the disappearance of whole people, requires extra special academic rigour... you
just can't get away with glib generalizations and statements of probability substituted as
fact. You also have to define your terms carefully — extinct what? Extinct genes? Extinct
practices? Extinct identifications?

Also interesting in your paper is your focus on survival via the domestic and female
dimension. Even here in Trinidad, whenever I encounter people who claim Carib
ancestry, I notice that they almost always say, "my mother is Carib", "my grandmother
was a Carib", "my great grandmother was a pure Carib", "my great aunts taught me Carib
ways", and so on.

I would also add, in the Trinidadian case, that most of the 19th century authors who wrote
books on the "dwindling" and "disappearing Indians", were favourable to, or actual
members of, local landowning families with interests in acquiring the mission lands of
the Amerindians which were, by law, otherwise inalienable. These were valuable cocoa-
growing lands, and there was a massive cocoa boom between 1870 and 1920. Ironically,
this boom required imported Venezuelan labour. . . most of which consisted of mestizos
and some Amerindians ... thus reinforcing the local mestizo population.

One more thing: in Trinidad there is a thesis that such things as Aguinaldos emerged
from the mission context, the practice of using song and music to catechize Amerindians.
The way it gets translated here is that this tradition, emerging from the mission past,
basically renders the institution particular to the Amerindians, and thus, after some more
intellectual filtering, historically part of the colonial Amerindian experience, and after
further filtering, "having Amerindian roots". I would look into this on your end. Certainly
the use of maracas is not coincidental, I don't think.

From: Pedro Ferbel-Azcarate