Question 1: What are the principal problems
with existing protective clothing PPE?
Examining the relationship between equipment stress and
- Avoiding overprotection
Difficulties related to fit, sizing combinations, and
- Sizing needs: weight, height, etc.
- Gender concerns and variables such as pregnancy
Useful life of protective clothing
- Service life
- Shelf life
Question 2: What are the emerging issues,
f[ hazards, and threats related to protective
• Changing nature of hazards faced by end users
- Emerging threats
• Issues related to decontamination
- Effectiveness of decontamination
- Persistence of decontamination agents
- Verification of successful decontamination
• Relationship between test criteria and real use
• Durability testing
Question 3: What are the primary challenges
for manufacturers to design and produce
protective clothing PPE that can be certified?
• Economics; cost and market demand
• Systems/ensemble perspective vs.
use and certification of individual
• Regulation and enforcement
• Many standards
Question 4: Are there very near-term things that can
be done to effect almost immediate
improvements to protective clothing PPE?
• Identify research areas presenting the
best "bang for the buck"
• Improve the innovation cycle
(specification vs. performance standards)
• Special environment ensembles (e.g., OR)
• Suitability listing of components
Question 5: What are the two or three most
important things that NIOSH should do to support
the development and use of advanced protective
• Increased communication with, and input from,
• Research improvements - work sharing
- Collaboration among industry, academia, and
• Increased surveillance of equipment already in
use, and any associated accidents
- Service life
- Web reporting of equipment problems