Skip to main content

Full text of "The Egyptian Problem"

See other formats

and two passenger trains to Cairo were attacked by a mob of 2,000 to 3,000 villagers. Among the passengers, however, were a few British officers and soldiers who succeeded in keeping the mob at bay with their revolvers and in bringing the trains through to Cairo. The mob then sacked and wrecked the station.
On the 15th the disorders extended to Upper Egypt. At Reqqa, the morning express from Cairo was attacked and pillaged, all passengers' baggage being looted, while the station was sacked and burnt. At Wasta several trains, including goods trains, were completely sacked. An official of the Egyptian State Railways, Mr. A. T. Smith, was murdered; Mr. Graves, of the Ministry of the Interior, had a narrow escape, and the station was pillaged and set on fire. At Hawamdieh, the large sugar factory was attacked by villagers and stoutly defended by five native policemen, who repulsed the rioters. At Beni-Suef, crowds invaded the Law Courts during a sitting, drove out the officials, and tried, but unsuccessfully, to get hold of the British judge. They then proceeded to attack the Mudirieh and various other Government offices, which they wrecked. In the afternoon, the Beduin flocked in, looted the town, and laid siege to the three houses where British residents had taken refuge. They were held at bay with the help of an Indian detachment hurried in from Payum. In Lower Egypt the main railway line was destroyed between Kaliub and Benha, and Cairo cut off from the whole of the Delta.
On Sunday, the 16th, matters went from bad to worse. In the Delta, Minet el Qamh was the scene of the worst trouble. A mob from the surrounding villages raided the Government buildings and released all the prisoners. They then attacked the station, which was protected by a military picket who opened fire, killing thirty and wounding nineteen. At Tala and other localities in the Gharbieh province branch lines of the railways were cut and stations sacked. At Zagazig an onslaught was made on the Mudirieh, and an attempt to let loose the
itl, rushed, and those that were armed fired. The soldiers replied, killing thirteen and wounding over thirty. At Kaliul on the same afternoon a British soldier was murdered.ition would have been scarcely feasible without Egyptian labour and Egyptian supplies, and some expression of gratitude would not have marred its glory. But the saving word was never spoken ; and the payments due from the military authorities continued to lag for months behind, and the ugly past                    towns, the Central Government merely making certain