TEE HISTORY AND CONSTRUCTION
COLLEGE PARE, MARYLAND
Prepared as an initiation requirement for Beta of
Maryland of Tau Beta Pi.
December 13, 1934
Jack W. Phillies
The Baltimore- Washington Boulevard 19
Great Seal of Maryland 21
Sketch-Division of Property 28
Sketch of Property 29
First floor Plan 30
Circular-Longfellow School for Boys 35
Mac Alpine, "built in 1863 by Charles Baltimore Calvert,
was the home of the family of ten for many years. Built of brick,
it is in excellent preservation today. The house has the appear-
ance it did years ago, having been only slightly modernized.
The property, 203^ acres, wes the second of the five div-
isions of the Riverdale Estate upon the death of Charles Benedict
Calvert. Mac Alpine was farmed successfully until 1890. It is now
owned by the seven living children and two grandchildren of Charles
Baltimore Calvert, but has been rented to the Longfellow School for
Mac Alpine, at College Park, is located just south of the
summit of Cat-Tail Bill, on the east side of the Baltimore-Washington
Boulevard. Its frontage on the Boulevard is about six hundred yds.,
extending south to the limits of Riverdale, originally called River-
dale Park. Maintaining this width of six hundred yds., the property
extends nearly due east to the Edmonston Road; one corner crosses
that road. It is cut laterally near Its eastern limit toy the East-
ern Branch of the Potomac River, comiionly called Paint Branch; near
its center by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad; and to the west of this
by the Capitol Transit Company electric line. The house is approxi-
mately in the center, laterally, seventy- five yds. from the Boulevard,
and faces east towards the farthest boundary of the property. The
entrance on the Boulevard is identified by the printing on the gate-
posts - "Calvert" "Mac Alpine". It is perhaps more easily recognized
by a new sign reading "Longfellow School for Boys", held on rustic
support s .
The property was once a part of the famous Riversdale Est-
ate, whose mansion still stands in Riverdale. Tor the colorful history
of this estate, Thesis No. 64, by E. H. Swick, entitled "The History
and Construction of the Calvert Mansion in Riverdale, Maryland," is
highly recommended, and is the only complete record of that property.
There have been few sources of information, the only
written mentions of The MacAlpine which were found "being the obituary
notices in the Baltimore Sun of the death of Mr. and Mrs. Charles
Baltimore Calvert, the builders of the house, and the land records at
the County Court House, Upper Marlboro,
Most of the information was obtained from members of the
Calvert family, and from the present occupants of the house. Acknowledg-
ment is made of the very gracious grant of their time and of the inter-
est which they have shown in the writing of this paper.
The reader is therefore asked to bear in mind that what
follows is, in the main, a part of the memories of the members of the
Calvert family, and is not a repetition of facts which were copied from
records, or from a previous book written on this subject.
As nearly as possible, this thesis will be divided into the
two sections, history and construction, but the construction of various
small buildings which no longer stand will be treated under history.
It seems to "be the accent ed opinion throughout College Park
that Mac Aloine is a very old house, probably of the Colonial Period.
Actually, it is not old, not nearly so old as the Calvert Mansion in
Riverdale, which was built a few years prior to 1800. Mac Alpine was
"built after the Civil War, in 1868.
The history of Mac Alpine is the history of the Calvert fam-
ily, the founders of the State of Maryland, and for many years its
leaders and statesmen. The story of the Great Seal of Maryland, bear-
ing the Calvert and Crossland arms quartered, as written by Mr. George
H, Calvert, Jr., is presented on page 21.
The story of Mac Alpine begins with the death of Charles Bene-
dict Calvert, on May 12, 1864. His will may be seen at the county seat
in the records of Equity Case 475, in which the property was formally
divided. In his will, Mr, Calvert named his brother, George H. Calvert,
and his widow, Charlotte Augusta Calvert (who is on file as renouncing
her right) , executor and executrix. The property was to be divided
according to their judgment among the children as they became of age.
The papers marking the division are to be found in the same file; also,
there is an old plat of the division (see sketch, page 28) which gives
no dimensions or locations of landmarks, the descriptions to all but
two of the divisions having been lost. The property, the Eiverdale
Estate, which once included 4,000 acres, had dwindled to about 1,500,
and was divided in 1866 into zones which run approximately east and
west. The distribution is as follows:
Zone 1 - To George H. Calvert, 174-| acres. This zone
included what is now River dale, Kd.
Zone 2 - To Charles Baltimore Calvert, 203| acres. This
zone was north of Zone 1 and south of the summit
of Cat-Tail Hill.
Zones 3 & 6 - To William H. Calvert, 298| acres. This
included the property now being developed by H. C.
Byrd, known as College Heights.
Zone 4 - To Eugene Calvert, 314 acres. This is north of
Zones 2 and 3 and east of Zone 5.
Zone 5 - To Ellen Calvert Campbell, 165^ acres. This includ-
ed the present College Park, Kd.
Dower - To his wife, Charlotte A. Calvert, 300 acres.
It is with Zone 2, given to Charles Baltimore Calvert, that
we are concerned. It was Charles Baltimore who managed the whole
Eiverdale Estate during the last few years of his father's life. On
June 14, 1866, he married Miss Eleanor Mac Kubin, the only daughter of
Dr. Richard Creagh Mac Kubin and Hester Ann Mac Kubin of Annapolis.
While the house was being built, the newlyweds lived in the Old Ross-
bourgh Inn. Their first child was born before their occupancy of the
house, which was not until about 1868. As indicated by the name, the
Mac Kubins' originally came from Scotland. They belonged to the Mac
Alpine Clan. It is from this, that the Mac Alpine got its name. At
about the same time, a brother of Mr. Calvert's wife, James Mac Kubin,
built a house in Howard County, Maryland, and also called it Mac Alpine,
There is no other relation between these two houses, neither being a
copy of the other. At the time the Mac Alpine was built there were at
least three slave cabins on the property. These were built of logs
plastered with mud, but have since been burned by sparks from the Balti-
more and Ohio Hail road trains setting fields on fire. It is interest-
ing to note that although the slaves were set free at the end of the
Civil War, Mrs. Calvert's maid, Sarah Taylor, stayed and continued as
her maid for many years.
When houses were built on large estates, there were two fact-
ors which influenced their location. One was access to water, and the
other was protection from wind and storms. Before the house was built
there had been a house, occupied by a foreman of the old Riversdale
Estate, on almost the same spot. This house had been burned, but there
had been left the 70 ft. well which is now outside the kitchen door.
Mac Alpine was provided, therefore, with water, and was placed where a
beautiful, unobstructed, view of almost the whole property was available
from any front window. Being on the top of a hill, there was little
protection from storms. Fir trees were grown between the house and the
highway to afford this protection against the icy west wind. In this
connection, it should be stated that the winters of the past were much
more severe than are those of today. It was often necessary to go out
on horse-back and ride back and forth in order to break paths in the
The 70 ft. well was used until the development of Eiverdale
Park, when it ran dry, someone having drilled into the water vein to
the south. At this time the well on the hill to the east of the house
was dug and the brick pump- house was "built. It is approximately 13x10
ft. and 8 ft. high; the roof is of slate. On the west side are two
large windows almost covering that side. Inside is the top of the well,
which appears to be approximately 40 ft. deep, the pump, and the one-
cylinder steam engine which was first used for power. Later, an electric
motor was used, but this has disappeared. The water was pumped to the
tank behind the house, which was built for that purpose. This well is
not dry, but the present water supply is connected to the local water
system. The interesting part of this little pump-house is the door. It
is about 6 ft. by 2g ft. and about ^ in. thick. It is constructed of
cast iron, painted black. This door was originally the entrance to the
old brick and iron vault of the Riverdale Mansion. It has an old-
fashioned lock, locked by a Igrge brass key.
Under Mr. Calvert's supervision the farm flourished until
1890, when the scarcity of labor caused him to abendon the enterprise.
During the farming period it operated successfully. Three hired men and
their families lived there continually, and more were hired during the
harvest season. The women lived in the house as maids, while the others
lived outside. Five horses were kept, two for the carriage, one for rid-
ing, and two to work with the four mules. Three or four hogs were raised
each year and "butchered at Christmastime. The meat was cured in the
smoke-house, which still stands, just south of the house. Five to eight
cows were kept and some bulls, but these were not butchered on the place.
The usual corn crop of 200 barrels was raised in the fields near the east-
ern end of the property. The pasture was Just west of the cornfields.
The corn was stored in the corn-house. The corn- house and the addition
to it, the wagon shed, were the only wooden buildings on the place, all
others being of brick. There was always an abundance of dairy products.
The cream and butter was sold, but the surplus milk was fed to the hogs.
The dairy products were kept in an ice-house, which was just south of the
smoke-house. It was brick, circular in shape, about 20 ft. in diameter.
It was sunk in the ground and the dirt banked up all around it in a sort
of a mound. Ice was cut from the ice pond in the southwest corner of the
property and stored, packed in straw, below the floor of the ice-house.
The milk and other products were kept on the floor over the ice. When,
one year, it was desired to store more ice than usual, the floor was tak-
en out and an ice chest built into the basement of the house for the
products. This chest is still in the basement, and measures about 6 ft.
high by 3 ft. deep by 7 ft. long. The ice-house has since been destroyed
by fire, which started by the burning of trash in Hlverdale.
The barn, located about ISO yds. southwest of the house, was
destroyed by fire only a few years ago, just as the ice-house was. It
measured 28 by 40 ft. Two of its brick corners still stand, one extend-
ing about 15 ft. into the air. It was built on a hill so that the cows
and horses entered the lower story from the south, where there was a
cow yard. The entrance to the other story was on the north (see sketch,
page 39) . Across from the barn was another building, originally a
carriage barn; this has also been burned.
There is a rumor that there was once an Indian burying ground
in the grove of trees just northeast of the house. This is unconfirmed,
but Mr. George H. Calvert, Jr., remembers that often, when ditches were
dug on the farm, arrowheads and tomahawks were found, one tomahawk in
particular being about the size of a sledge.
The family was always well supplied with fruit, there being
three orchards bearing four fruits. To the north of the house was the
pear orchard, to the south, apple and peach trees, and to the southwest,
A large garden was located near the southern boundary between
the house and the electric line.
Host of the trees on the place today were planted by Charles
Baltimore Calvert. The old farm roads are represented on the sketch,
page 29. The remains of the posts of the lower gate are' still visible.
The cement posts at the main entrance are not original; the original
ones were wooden.
Although the grounds have been neglected for a number of
years, the efficiency and thoroughness of the Master of Mac Alpine is
in evidence throughout the estate.
Charles Baltimore Calvert was born February 5, 1843, at the
Calvert Mansion, in Riverdale, the son of Charles Benedict Calvert and
Charlotte Angus t a Norris Calvert. He graduated from the Maryland Agri-
cultural College in 1863, and was a member of the Board of Trustees of
that institution. (His father was the first president of the Board of
Trustees). In 1864 he was elected a Member of the Maryland Legislature
from Prince George's County as a Democrat, and served in a special sess-
ion in 1866. He was re-elected to the Legislature in 1867. Ee was one
of the original promoter a of the electric railway operating between
Washington and Laurel. This is the electric line which passes through
the estate. It is interesting to note that Mr. Calvert and his family
had pass privileges on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, but these were
revoked when he voted in favor of the Pennsylvania line while in the
When he died, August 31, 1906, he willed the property to his
wife for life, to be given to the eight children at her death. Mrs.
Calvert died April 30, 1932, The property now belongs to nine persons;
seven are children of Charles Baltimore Calvert, and two are his grand-
children. Their names follow:
C. B. Calvert Carey )
) Sons of Eleanor Calvert Carey (Died
W. Gibson Csrey ) Oct. 5, 1920)
Hester V. C. Lilly
Charlotte Calvert Spence (Wife of Dean Thomas H. Spence, U.of M.
Hichard C. M, Calvert
George H. Calvert, Jr.
Charles Baltimore Calvert
Rosalie E. S. Calvert
Elizabeth Stuart Calvert Thomas .
The house was occupied about 1368 by Mr. and Mrs. Calvert,
and their family was raised there. Mr. Calvert died in 1906, but the
family stayed until 1910, when they moved to Washington. Mrs. Spence
spent the summers there, a caretaker being hired during the winter, un-
til 1917, when she and Mr. Spence moved in to stay the year round.
They moved out on September 4, 1934, and the place is rented to Mr. H. L,
Sewell, who is conducting a school for small boys between the ages of
seven and thirteen and Including the first eight grades. (See circular,
page 35) .
Note: The writer did not feel free to go roaming about the
house with a measuring tape, because the house is at present
occupied by Mr. E. L. Sewell and his school children. He
was conducted throughout the house by Mr. Sewell, and the
sizes of the rooms were estimated. Exterior photographs and
measurements were taken, however.
The date of building Mac Alpine seems fixed between 1367
and 1868. It is probable that it took part of both of these years,
since it was built almost entirely by day laborers.
The house and all of the outbuildings, except the corn-
house and carriage shed, were built of brick. Unlike most of the
other old Maryland homes, there is no rumor as to the brick being made
in "England. The clay was dug from the excavations for the house and
barn and was dried and baked on the place.
Charles Baltimore Calvert designed the house himself and
supervised its building.
The walls of the house are very heavy, the basement walls
being four bricks thick and inside are plastered on the brick and
painted. The walls to the upper stories are three bricks thick. On
the Inside of the walls, vertical 2x4" s were set up, and lath and
plaster put on the inside of the 2x4' s, thus leaving a 4-inch air
space. This contributes noticeably to the holding of the heat in the
winter, and is an interesting construction of sixty- six years ago,
whea it is only within the last few years that the advantages of an
air space in the walls have become recognized and the use of hollow
tile become common for this puroose. The bricks are set in common
"bond, every eighth row being end-wise.
The old kitchen is in the basement, on the south. It was
in use until September 4th last, when Kr. and Mrs. Spence moved out.
A large dumb-waiter was used to convey the food to the floor above.
An old iron range was used but has been moved. The room is now used
as a play room for the boys. The built-in cupboards are still in
place. The ceiling of the kitchen, as are all of the basement ceil-
ings, is lathed and plastered. The floor was originally wood, the
rest of the basement having dirt floors, but they have since been
cemented. The old well is outside the kitchen door, which ouens on
the south, the water having been carried in in buckets. Behind the
house, beside the kitchen, is the old cistern. It is built below the
ground, of brick, in two sections. The rain-water entered one section,
filtered through the brick dividing wall, and remained in the other sec-
tion, from which it was drawn by a small cast iron hand pump which rests
on the level of the ground. This water was used for washing; the well
water was high in iron and sulphur content.
In addition to the kitchen, there are four other rooms
in the basement. The one on the west, next to the kitchen, was
used by the maids. It originally had a partition through the cen-
ter, which also divided the one window down the middle, so that
each part received light and air. The other western room now contains
the furnace, a large hot air furnace, which was installed about 1884,
The room on the northeast contains the large ice chest. The room on
the front is used as a workshop. All the rooms are dry, the walls are
not chipped; and all are well lighted by large windows. All partitions
are of brick and are supports for the floors above. No pipes or wiring
are risible, only the plastered ceilings.
There are two large chimneys which rise from the basement
through the roof. Each is in an inner wall and has a fireplace on both
sides on all floors. Thus, there are eleven fireplaces, one of the
basement ones being supplanted by the old kitchen range.
In the kitchen over the door is a panel on which are mount-
ed seven bells, each one a little larger than the others, and consequent-
ly all the tones are different. Each is connected to a different room
by a wire inside the walls. The largest is connected to the front door,
the three next largest to the first floor, and the three smaller ones to
the upstairs. They were used to sunraon the servants, who could tell by
the sound which room demanded service. The wires are still in place but
have rusted in the walls.
A narrow stairway leads upstairs, under the back stairway.
The entrance is on the east. Thick double doors, each only
two feet wide, open into a hallway about 13x20'. To the left is a wind-
ing stairway. The rail is a beautiful one, of solid walnut. It is
interesting to note that when this stairway was built, at first no one
could "be found who would build it without visible supports (see sketch,
page 30) . All that was necessary, however, was to run a heavy timber
from the south wall to support the last curved section.
All of the ceilings are high, 14 ft. The woodwork down-
stairs is a light tan color with artificial grain. This type of finish
was new at that time, and was painted "by the son of Mr. Day, who frescoed
the United States Capitol. To the right of the hallway is the library,
approximately 17x15 ft. The first attraction is a beautiful mantle of
gray Italian marble, fitted with a Latrobe stove. The stove has apparent-
ly been there since the house was built, the flue being arranged so that
the room above is heated also, The windows are fitted with folding wood-
en blinds, which are painted to match the woodwork. When folded to cover
the window, a section can be opened to let in light. All of the windows,
on the first floor are fitted in this way. The library window which fac-
es east is a peculiar one; it reaches at the top to the same height as
all of the others, but its uniqueness is that it extends to the floor.
The lower section is about six feet high. The wall above is hollowed
so that the section may be raised, leaving a six-foot opening. Since
it opens onto the front porch, this was used in the surner just as if
it had been a door.
To the west of the library is the parlor, approximately 16x
21 ft. In the east wall is the mantle, also made of Italian marble.
This one is fitted, however, with a grate. The floor has been re-covered
with maple flooring laid over the other floor, which was of pine. It
was planned to re-cover all of the floors, "but they are still the orig-
inal 4- inch pine flooring. The new floor and the grate were put in about
1838. The room is at present used as a classroom, two long tables tak-
ing the place of the conventional individual desks usually seen. The
south wall opens through a large arch into the dining room.
Heat is furnished by a Latrobe stove fitted into a mantle-
piece of Tennessee marble. The room, 20x16 ft., has a large window on
the west, and two doors, one into the main hallway and the other into
the hallway of the present kitchen.
The wing on the south is divided practically into thirds,
the front third being a hallway and back stairway. The center section
is used as a pantry. The western section is now used as the kitchen.
It has a fireplace on the northern wall, opposite the one in the din-
ing room. A porch six feet wide, but without a roof, runs the length
of the wing on the south. A similar wing was planned for the north but
was never built. The ceilings in the wing are not as high as those in
the main section.
The main stairway rises towards south, turns to the west,
where one can step into the wing, turns now to the north, rising four
or five more steps to the second floor.
At the left of the head of the stairs is a bedroom 14x15 ft.,
which is over the dining room. It has a mantle but is also heated by
the Latrobe stove below. North of this is a large bedroom, furnished
with cots for the boarding students. It is over the oarlor, and also
measures 21x16 ft. Between these two bedrooms are two closets, one
opening into each room. On the northeast corner, the third bedroom,
about 15 ft. square, is located. It is heated by the Latrobe stove in
the library. To the south is a small bedroom 10x12 ft.
The floor in the wing is lower than that of the main sec-
tion. The wing consists of the back stairway and two rooms; the room
towards the front is the bath, which was constructed after Charles
Baltimore Calvert's death in 1906; the other room is a bedroom, over
the present kitchen.
The attic is reached by a ladder in the closet of the
largest bedroom, northwest corner of the house, is unfinished, and is
not even used for storage purposes. The attic is about 9 ft. high at
the center, and it is this height for about six feet in the center.
The roof supports are modern in appearance. The timbers at the inter-
section of the surfaces of the roof are 8 B x3" t the next toward the cen-
ter of each surface are 6"x3" , and the center ones which do not bear
so much weight are 4"x3" .
The roof is in two parts, the main portion of the house,
and the wing. The roof of the wing is lower and not as steep as that
of the house. The pitch of the main roof is the same in all direct-
ions, one- half inch to the foot. The roofing material is gray slate
and has never been replaced; it is in wonderful condition. The two
chimneys are cement. The roof has spouts and gutters, the water
originally going to the cistern.
The house was originally natural red brick color, trimmed
in white, with green shutters. It has since been painted Colonial
Yellow, retaining the white trim and green shutters.
The front porch runs the length of the main section of the
house, and is 8 ft. wide; it has white railings, and the roof, which is
covered with tin, and ceiling are supported by four wooden posts which
rest on four brick columns, 1 ft. square, under the floor. Seven steps,
12 ft. wide, lead up to the porch, the other lower part being latticed.
The circular drive, 68 ft. in diameter, in front of the
house, has been there since the house was built.
Behind the kitchen is the water tower, which was used when
the well on the hillside was being punped. It is about 30 ft. high,
and consists of a wooden tank, 8 ft. in diameter and height, supported
by a four- legged iron framework. There is a small walk and rail around
the tank, which is painted yellow to match the house.
In the center, on the west, there is an old-fashioned cel-
lar door, approximately five feet square, which is inclined at an angle
of about thirty degrees to the horizontal.
The writer did not notice a plaster crack or mortar crack
of any kind. The house is as sound as the day it was finished. How
many brick houses built today will be unaffected by sixty- six years of
exposure to wind and rain?
THE BALTIMORE- WASHINGTON BOULEVARD
Inasmuch as the Mac Alpine property is limited on the west by
the Baltimore-Washington Boulevard, an important highway, used extensive-
ly by Washington! ans and Marylanders as well as by nearly all visitors
to the Nation's Capitol, a word as to its origin would not be amiss.
Mr. George E. Calvert, Jr., of Washington, has'inhis safe a
copy of the original Act passed December 17, 1812, entitled "An Act to
incorporate a Company to make a Turnpike Road from the District of Col-
umbia to the City of Baltimore". This seems to be the only record of
this Act, because a few years ago, when the Boulevard was widened, the
State Roads Commission was at a loss as to how to authorize the widen-
ing. The copy was borrowed from Mr. Calvert but, in accordance with his
wishes, was returned. The Act states that $100,000 was to be subscribed
in shares of $50 each under the direction of: George Calvert (great-
grandfather of George H. Calvert, Jr.), Hi chard Ross, Thomas Bowe, and
William Fitzgeralt , at Bladensburg; Archibald Dorsey, Richard C. Stock-
ett, John S. Belt and Thomas Lee, Jr., et McCoy's Tavern; and William Lor-
man, Henry Payson, George Lindenberg and Jacob Giles Smith in Baltimore.
The road was to be 60 ft. wide, 18 ft. to be artificially covered. Tolls
were to be collected to pay for the project. Specifications as to loads
to be carried were given, such as, that no vehicle whose wheels are under
4 in. wide shall carry over three tons. Scales were to be erected at
designated places to weigh the loads and insure that the limits were not
exceeded. If the project was not completed within ten years, the right
was to revert to the State.
The road, started in 1812, still follows the same route.
GRSAT SEAL OF IUETLAKD
The Great Seal and Flag of Maryland are so intimately connect-
ed the one with the other that their history is inseparable. The flag
of the State the escutcheon of the Great Seal - the Calvert and Crossland
arms quartered. Maryland is unique in her Great Seal, and presents a
marked contrast with those of the other States of the American Union, in
that it consists of Armorial bearings of a strictly heraldic character,
while the others bear emblems indicative of agriculture and commerce,
plenty and prosperity, or kindred subjects represented in a more or less
pictorial or allegorical manner.
The first Great Seal brought over by Governor Leonard Calvert
was lost. And in 1648 Cecil Calvert sent to the Province of Maryland
another Great Seal cut in silver. The escutcheon bore the Calvert and
Crossland arms quartered - Alicia Crossland having been the mother of
George Calvert, the 1st Baron of Baltimore. These quart erings were sur-
mounted by an earl's coronet and full-faced helmet, which indicated his
rank in America as that of a Count Palatine - his rank in England being
that of a Baron only - a distinction which no other Colonial charter con-
ferred. On the helmet rested the Calvert crest, a ducal crown, with two
half-bannerets, one gold and one black. The escutcheon was supported on
one side "by the figure of a. farmer, and on the other by that of a fisher-
man - symbols of each of his estates, Maryland and Avalon. Below was a
scroll bearing the Calvert motto: "Fatti Maschil Parole Femine" , which
translated means "Deeds are males; words, females." Behind the escutcheons
and coronets was engraved an ermine-lined mantle, and surrounding all, on
a border encircling the seal, was the legend: " Scuto Bonae Voluntatis Tuae
Coronasti Uos" , which translated means "With favor wilt thou compass us as
with a shield." The obverse of the Great Seal represents Baron Baltimore
as a Knight in full armor, with drawn sword and helmet decorated with
feathers. He is mounted on a richly caparisoned charger, in full gallop,
adorned with his paternal coat of arms, below which are engraved a strip
of seashore, grass and flowers. Around the whole is an inscription con-
taining his name and titles: "Cecilius Absolut is Dominus Terra Marie et
Avoloniae Baro de Baltimore", which translated means: "Cecil, Absolute
Lord of Mary Land and Avalon, Baron of Baltimore." The Maryland Flag was
evidently designed and adopted by Cecil Calvert and sent out by him with
the colony, as it was unfurled and officially used a few days after tak-
ing formal possession of the Province, when Governor Leonard Calvert, in
order to more forcibly impress the Indians, ordered the "Colors to be
brought on shore" and a military parade. The Maryland Flag, like the
Great Seal of the State, is strictly of heraldic design, being taken from
the Calvert and Crossland arms, quartered. The Calvert colors, black and
gold, and the Crossland colors, silver and red, while in brilliant cont-
rast, used together, as in the flag of Maryland, are very beautiful. Sil-
ver "being a white metal, the white color is substituted for silver in
Maryland flags made of bunting or silk, since about 1904, in accordance
with the provisions of an Act of the Legislature. When painted on pan-
els, etc., or printed in colors, however, the heraldic colors, gold and
black, silver and gules (blood red) , should be adhered to.
(Included with the permission of the author,
George H. Calvert, Jr.)
George Calvert, First Lord Baltimore
Children of George Calvert
Cecil ius, Second Lord Baltimore, Died 1675
Children of Cecil ius Calvert
Charles, Third Lord Baltimore
Children of Charles Calvert
Benedict Leonard, Fourth Lord Baltimore
Children of Benedict Leonard Calvert
Charles, Fifth Lord Baltimore
Children of Charles Calvert
Benedict, Died 1788
Children of Benedict Calvert
Rebecca, died in infancy
M- George Parke Custis 1?74
M-Dr. David Stuart 1783
Charles , unmarried
M-Dr. Steward 1780
M-Elizabeth Briscoe 1796
M-Rosalie Eugenia Stier 1799
Philip died young
Leonard died young
Cecilius died young
Sober t died young
Children of George Calvert
Caroline Marie, 3-1800
M-T. W. Morris
George Henry, B-1803
M-Elizabeth Stuart 1829
Rosalie Eugenie, B-1806
M-Cbarles Henry Carter
Charles Benedict (1808-1864)
M-Che.rlotte Augusta Norriss
Marie Louise, B-1S14
M-Dr, H. H. Stuart
Children of Charles Benedict Calvert
Charles Baltimore (1843-1906)
Children of Charles Baltimore Calvert
Eleanor, died Oct. 5, 1920
Richard C. M.
George H. , Jr.
Rosalie E. S.
*»"— n** J*
• Mn Cmtt'm*
OBJECTS W RED NO LONGER EM ST.
SKE TCH OF PROPER Tr *or ro sca, e.
FIRST FLOOR PLAN
SCALE, F= 8'
View of Front of House, looking West, from Crest of Hill
Note large holly tree on left.
View looking East from same spot, ttote Pump-House in fore-
ground, and street-car trscks in background. Property extends
almost to limit of vision.
Closer View of Front
View showing Wing and Water Tank on Left
View of Wing and Water Tower, looking North..
( A3b 1m
Looking Northwest. Note Smoke-House on Left.
Ruins of Old Barn, looking Northwest.
SCHOOL FOR BOYS
Reese Longfellov/ Sev/ell
John Ellsvrorth Madory
Kennetti Henry Symons
College Fark, Maryland
School opens the third Tuesday
Holidays: Thanksgiving week-end;
ten days at Christmas; Washing-
ton's Birthday; and a spring
holiday of ten days.
School closes the second Friday
of June .
LONGFELLOW SCHOOL FOR BOYS is located
in the suburbs of Washington on the ex-
tensive estate of Calvert MacAlpine .
Here successful grade school work is
carried on under experienced masters in
an environment conducive to sturdy
The campus of the School with its two
hundred acres of playing fields and woods
provides opportunity for all outdoor
sports, so necessary to the health and
happiness of the growing boy.
The School aims to develop each boy
to his maximum possibilities within the
limits of his school attendance.
Location . - The School is a mile south
of College Park, Maryland, on the Balti-
more-Washington Boulevard - U.S. Route
No. 1. Washington Railway and Electric
cars marked Branchvillo or Beltsville
start in Washington on G- Street at
Fifteenth, N. I 1 /,, and stop at fchc School's
station. The Ilyattsvillc-Laurol bus of
the Capital Transit Company starts at
Tenth and E. Streets, N. W. and stops
at the entrance to the School. By road
it is eight miles from the White House;
a twenty minute drive.
School is ido
to avoid its
enough to the
simple and re
jb. - The setting for the
al: far enough from the city
distractions and yet close
Nation's Capital to enjoy
seeks to maintain the
a home. It provides a
gular country life in Ideal
giving the thought, care
which parents would wish a
boy to have.
Religious Life * - The School is non-
sectarian, but distinctly Christian in its
spirit and teachings. The atmosphere is
that of a cultured, Christian hone.
Devotional exorcises are conducted at the
beginning of each day. Sunday morning the
boarding students attend church.
Health . - Constant thought is given
in the preparation of menus that arc not
onlj healthful and appetizing but are
free from the usual routine monotony of
Care is taken to prevent colds and
contagion. Boys arc inspected before
going out to play to sec that they use
proper clothing and foot-wear. Each
boy's hoalth is observed and pains
taken to give him such caro as his
parents might wish.
Discipline . - The
do right and obey the
stringent discipline i
understand that the ru
must bo obeyed, and th
of course regulations
The repair or repl
property damaged by a
for by the boy rcspons
known, the cost is pro
boys are expected to
rules. The need for
s rare . Students
los of the School
oy accept as a matter
which at home would
acement of School
student must be paid
ible; if ho is iin-
-rated among all
Admission. - The School requires no
examination for admission, but standard
achievement tests are given to deter-
mine the grade to which each boy must
Classification is at no time on a
rigid basis. Boys nay be moved up or
down a grade, according to effort and
accomplishment, or bo transferred,
in individual subjects, to the class
best suited to their ability and effort
The School program covers the first
eight grades. The school year is
divided into three terms: fall, winter
and spring. These terms are separated
by the Christmas and spring vacations.
Instruction . - All boys are in-
structed by men. The individual is
Biado the basis in every department of
the school work, and each student re-
ceives such attention and extra in-
struction as will enable him to make
the most satisfactory progress.
Special stress is laid upon teaching
the boy correct methods of study.
The masters make it their object
to have the boys do thoroughly the
work each day. Various devices are
employed to accomplish this end.
Frequent reviews and written tests
Examinations arc held in all
subjects at the end of the first and
second terms, on the work of those
terms, and at the end of the year,
on the work of the yoar. Results of
these examinations are kept on file,
and a copy mailed to parents. A
report on daily work is sent to parents
at the end of each month.
Promotions are based upon the daily
work of tho pupils, and upon the exam-
The courses parallel those offered
by the r ,'ashington Public Schools. The
School vrelcories queries regarding course
content, textbooks in use, methods, and
other pertinent questions. The work of
each boy being essentially individual,
there is no attempt to present this in-
Expenses . - The tuition charges follow:
:, ? 360
Tuition includes textbooks. The
resident and 5-day student rates include
laundry; day students are served their
noon day meals.
The annual tuition may be paid in nine
equal monthly payments in advance.
At tie beginning of the school year a
deposit of -,-10 is required of each
student to cover chargeable damages
done to school property.
The school is owned and operated by
masters interested in offering to
!:ashingtonians the advantages of a
private school education at an exceed-
ingly moderate rate.
Daily Schedule :-
Day students arrive
Day students leave
Evening study or reading
Lights out - Juniors
All lights out
Outfit,- Every resident pupil must
provide bed clothes for a single bed.
The following articles are necessary:
Three woolen blankets, three sheets,
one pillow, and two pillow slips. He
should also bring half dozen large
bath towels, bathrobe, house slippers,
toilet articles, raincoat, overshoes,
and the necessary clothing for fall
and winter wear. All articles should
be indelibly marked; woven name tapes
Summary . - Longfellow School, within
twenty minutes of most Washington
homes, offers the advantages of
country life to city boys at the best
possible price consistent with
f inane i al s oundne s s .
Telephone : Greenwood 2242
References :- A satisfied and enthusiastic
patronage Is one of the very best testimonials
that a school can offer the public. The work
of the Longfellow School for Boys is of such
personal character that from the very beginning
cf our v/ork we have come into intimate personal
relationship with our patrons. Practically all
of our patrons have written us personally, some
of them repeatedly, to express their entire
satisfaction with results accomplished and with
the methods employed in carrying on the v/ork of
the School. It would be a pleasure and privi-
lege to furnish a prospective patron with names
of present and former patrons living nearby.
Becords at the County Court House, Upper Marlboro.
The Baltimore Sun.
Tirfcus: American Genealogies.
Neill: Maryland History.
Thesis No. 64, "The History and Construction of the Cal-
vert Mansion in Biverdale, Maryland" , E. H. Swick
Personal Help from:
Mr. George H. Calvert, Jr., Washington
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Spence, College Parle
Mr. E. L. Sewell, Longfellow School for Boys
Mr. George W. Fogg, U. of M. Library