This folder also contained one note that was not scanned. file:///X|/Special%20Collections/purgatory/Phi%20MuAVillingmyre ) %20Daniel%20W.%20III/blueprint.txt[5/31/2011 1:53:28 PM] ( THE HISTORY AND CONSTRUCTION of THE CITY HALLS OF ANNAPOLIS , MARYLAND A THESIS PREPARED by Daniel W. Willingmyre 3rd FOR INITIATION INTO THE BETA CHAPTER OF MARYLAND of the TAU BETA PI HONORARY ENGINEERING SOCIETY January lp , 1932 f I-K-D-E-X Page Suromary . 1 General Hist or y of Annapolis 3 History of Old City Hall 8 History of The New City Hall ...., 12 Construction of Old City Hall 18 Construction of New City Hall 22 Drawings 30 xictures 33 Bibliography SUMMARY The story of the uity Halls of Annapolis, their history and construction, will be presented by the writer in as clear and interesting a manner as his ability and the limited quantity of material available will permit. Those data obtained from official records such as deeds, statement of ownership, minutes of the Uity Council's meetings, re- cords of expenditures of the city, and other sources have been stated as such as has been all information obtained from perusals of the Maryland uazette, and personal inter- views with eminent Annapolitans. Personal observation and deductions by the writer have been stated as such. There were at different times two or more build- ings used as the L;ity Hall of Annapolis. The first known one on record being the building on Main Street. It was occupied by the City prior to 1868. The exact date of its construction and subsequent occupancy is not to be found in available records. In 1868 the building was conveyed to Mr. w. t. Igleheart, after whose death its ownership was transferred to Dr. ireldmeyer, who still retains title to the property. -2- The new uity Hall or old Ball «oom dates back to 1764 • It was on this date that a Ball Koom was built to accommodate visitors, balls, lectures and public enter- tainments. The Ball Room has served for various purposes other than that for which it was intended. It has been the meeting place of the Maryland Assembly, the head- quarters of the Union troops in that section during the Civil War, a guard house, and a prison camp. While being used as this latter, it caught fire, and all but three walls consumed or made unfit for further use. Upon the ruins of this Ball noom in 1867 , a New City Hall was built and used by the City of Annapolis. Changes and ad- ditions have been made from time to time which are too numerous to mention and which would add no value to this work. -3- GENERAL HISTORY OF ANNAPOLIS Since the history of a City Hall would be in- complete without at least a cursory history of the City in which it is situated, an attempt will be made to give a resume of the events leading up to the establishment of the City of Annapolis, "Ye Ancient City" on the Severn . On June 20 , 1632 , the grant of Maryland was given by the King of England to uecilius Calvert, eld- est son of Lord Calvert of Ireland. The boundaries of the colony were well defined, being on the north, the fortieth parallel of north latitude; on the west and southwest, a line running south from this parallel to the farthest source of the Potomac Hiver and thence by the farther western bank of that river to Chesapeake Bay and on the east by the Atlantic Ocean, Delaware Bay and Hiver. i'rom this outline of boundary, it will be seen that the confines included not only the present state of Maryland, but also a portion of Pennsylvania, West Virgin- ia and all of the State of Delaware. The original inhabitants of Maryland were the -4- Indians. Indeed, on the site of the present City of An- napolis, there was a small Indian village. This village was probably situated here because of the favorable ter- rain. The piece of land in question is peninsular shaped, surrounded on three sides by water, two large streams and the Severn Kiver. No one can tell the age of this village but it was undoubtedly seen by the first white man in this section of the country in 1608, for he describes the lo- cation very accurately. This white man was Captain John Smith of Pocohantas fame who was a member of the Virginia ' Colony. Maryland progressed rapidly under the liberal and judicious rule of the governors appointed by the crown- ed heads but actuated by the influence of the Calverts, an intelligent and advanced thinking family. The oapitol of the colony was established at St. Marys, a small town down the bay quite a distance from the present site of Anna- polis. It may be erroniously thought by some that the only colony of Pilgrims landing in America was in New England at Plymouth Rock in l620, but this is not based on fact for records show that another group landed farther -5- south and settled in Virginia. The Pilgrims were per- mitted to worship according to the dictates of their con- science and principles of their religion until in 1642 when an act was passed by the Virginia Assembly prevent- ing the dissenting ministers from preaching and propagat- ing their doctrines. This was a direct stroke against the Puritans who were the chief dissenters against the Church of England. By 1648 this act was being strictly and rigidly enforced. Consequently, the small band who had sailed the wide Atlantic in search of religious free- dom set out again. Some traveled to Boston in New Eng- land to their brothers, while others crossed the Potomac upon the invitation of governor Stone of Maryland to take up their residence in the Catholic but tolerant colony. It is estimated by a good authority that in all about ten families migrated from Virginia to Maryland. This small Band crossed the state and following the precedent established by Rogers in Rhode Island named their settle- ment Providence, which later, as the writer will show, be- came Annapolis. It is asserted by some that the land was owned by a gentleman named Todd and that the site was call- ed Todd f s Harbor or Cove but since the early records were -6- destroyed by fire no proof if this is available. The small settlement prospered and grew and as it did so it was known successively as Proctors, The Town land At Severn, The Town at Proctors, The Town Land at Severn where the town was formerly, Anne Arundel Town in honor of Queen Anne, The Port of Annapolis, and fin- ally the City of Annapolis. By 1694 the Port of Annapolis had reached such a size and Importance that a change of the capital from St. Marys to the Port of Annapolis was deemed advisable. Despite vigorous protest from inhabitants of St. Marys, which city offered a free coach service tri weekly from Annapolis, the provincial records, treasury and courts were moved to Annapolis during the latter part of 1694* This sounded the death knell cf St. Marys for it is re- corded that the city immediately began to become depopu- lated, and in a little while was completely abandoned. Today, no trace of it remains. The reverse was true of the Port of Annapolis. The changing of the capital tended to accelerate the growth of it. In addition it became an important port of entry for it was here that the transoceanic liners docked to discharge diplomats, - -7- and unload cargoes of merchandise Maryland bound. The change of the Capital brought about such a rapid increase in commerce, population, and importance that a oharter was granted by Queen Anne in 1708 giving the city full priveleges as such and changing its name from the Port of Annapolis to the City of Annapolis. The charter provided that laws, taxes, and all public business be administered by a mayor, city council, and aldermen. This same form of government has been followed since that time and is today practically the same as then. An attempt has been made by the writer to trace the ownership of the land making up Annapolis from the King through the ualverts, the first townspeople, and fin- ally to the City of Annapolis by Charter. It Is on a por- tion of this land that the City Halls of Annapolis now stand. The people who made up the town at the time of its incorpor- ation have also been traced from those who left England as Pilgrims and went to Virginia and also those who came as part of Cecelius Calvertfc first colony. This is im- portant because it is these people or their descendants who constructed the oity Halls of Annapolis, Maryland. -8- HISTORY Of OLD CITY HALL In the year 1708, when Annapolis was established as a city, it is evident that there was no city hall or building used exclusively for the meetings of the City council. The first reason for this assumption is that up until 1725 the present site of the old Town Hall was pri- vately owned and that no buildings stood upon the spot. Among the extracts of deeds in the Land Office Building, is one in which the property on Church Street, lot No. 48 is recorded as being owned by Philim Lloyd in 1718. Also in the Land Office Building, and the present uity Hall, are copies of a map of Annapolis made on July 2^, 1718 by James Stoddard Esquire , showing this same property on which the old Uity Hall stands as belonging to a Mr. uor- sey. A transfer therefore must have been made between July 25 T 1718 and 1719 assuming both map and deed to be accurate, There is however no record of such a sale or trans- fer in the yellowed old files in Anne Arundel uounty court- house. This is not strange though because records were kept as loosely then as they are meticulously in the pre- sent age. Secondly in a record of the By Laws of the Ma- yor, Aldermen, and uity uouncil, there is an entry stating -9- that whenever a public meeting is held in any private or public house, the oity Treasurer shall make payment to the housekeeper at the close of the session for the rent- al of the room used. A thorough search of all the books and records of Anne Arundle county from 1699 to 186J, of Land Office records with the assistance of Mr, Trader, State Commis- sioner of the Land uffice, and of the records of the City council in the city Hall, and other available Historical Hecords, fails to reveal any information whatsoever con- cerning the plans and specifications, architect, builder, date of construction, occupancy or dedication of the Old City Hall, it is the writer's opinion that from a care- ful examination of the structure and of the old plats of the city aforementioned that the building known as the Old city Hall was originally built for a private resi- dence and that at some later unknown date it was probably rented and finally purchased by the uity for the use of the corporate Authorities and as a center for the oity government. The first record found after a thorough search indicates ihat the lower portion of the Old City Hall was -lo- used by the fire department as headquarters and a place for housing the fire fighting equipment. This record was found in the minutes of the ^ity Council dated July 20, 1768. Besides being the meeting place of the City Council, and the Fire House, it is evident that the uity Hall also served as a center for some social activities, since there are entries showing that there were rentals received for its use as a Ball Room. i?'rom entries in the minute, day, and expenditure books of the City Council, it is obvious that the building was continuously used as a City Hall and Fire House from r/6§ to 1868. The first definite information available concern- ing the removal of the corporate authorities from the old City Hall to the present site is in the records of the City Council, dated Nov 12, 1867. quote, "Ordered that when the building now in the course of construction for the use of the corporation shall be completed, the City TT all now in use be sold, if a fair price can be obtained for It and the proceeds applied to improvements now in progress". The following excerp from the minutes of the City Council establishes the date of sale of the Old Town Hall. Quote "Be it ordered that the Old City Hall be offered at public sale after two weeks notice etc 11 . -11- dated Aug. 21, 1868. The actual transfer of the property from the civil government to private ownership is in a public ad- vertisement. Quote " Public Advertisement : All that proper- ty in the city of Annapolis known as the City Hall and Engine House was on Sept. 1, 1868 offered at public sale to the highest bidder and whereas the said property was knocked off to the highest bidder, the said Igleheart, and for the sum of $2500. current money". The History of the building is now brought quickly to an end. Mr. Igleheart, it appears, rented it out to whomever would take it. At one time it served as a ware house for carpets and was leased by the worthington Co, In another period it was used as a dry goods and no- tion store. The upper floors during this period were leased by a young dentist Dr. tfeldraeyer who kindly gave the writer his aid In determining the later period of the City Hall's history. About 1891 Dr. ^eldmeyer purchased the building from the trustees of the Igleheart estate, and it bas since remained in his posession. The second story is still used as a dentist's office, while the lower floor houses the establishment "Franks Poultry and Dairy Products" -12- HISTOHY OF THE NEW CITY HALL Annapolis, being as it was, the thriving capital of the fertile and fruitful colony of Maryland, soon became also the center of a group of fashionable , cultured people . The inhabitants of the city itself and the plantation man- or lords, surrounding, were accustomed to disport themselves pleasantly and with diversity. Since the majority in this class were rich landowners, expence was not spared in their entertainment . During the spring and summer when traveling was comparatively easy, parties would "make the rounds" from manor to manor, going as far as the eastern shore. Horse racing, fox hunting, drinking, dancing, and gambling were the order of the day. It is easily understood that when the blanket of winter, with its snow and bad roads, confined the Anna- politans to town, they would seek there a continuation of their gay times. Various clubs and taverns where enter- tainment could be obtained, sprung up. Some of these still exist as fashionable and exclusive gatherings to which the Governor and high government officials subscribe. During the hectic winter season which prevailed in Annapolis, Balls seemed to be the chief diversion. -13- Fashionable colonial dames vied with each other to gain the favor of the selected males with the same materials used by their modern sisters today. Annapolis, with its beautiful women, its wines, and its song, may well be called the 'Paris of America" of that period, before 1?&4 a ^ Public festivals had to be held in the homes of the citizens of Annapolis. There was no suitable place in which to entertain visiting celebrities. It was thought by some that such a place or Ball Room should be provided and that to obtain the necessary funds for constructing such an edifice a lottery should be sub- scribed, which was done. In fact, this was a favorite method of raising large suras of money for various projects. There are in the Maryland uazzette, many advertisements for lotteries to procure funds for every thing from parish houses for churches to paying fines or debts for unfortunate, but well liked townspeople. The lottery for the Ball Room pro- ject is fully described and well advertised in the Maryland G-azgette of May 5» 1?63* I n part it appears as follows: " Scheme o f a Lottery for raising the sum of twenty-four hundred dollars to be applied in erecting a commodius build- ing in the City of Annapolis for the accommodating of Com- pany and Balls, Concerts, etc." -14- It was evidently the idea of the managers of the lottery to restrict the sale of tickets to the more or less wealthy, for the sale price of each was set at* four dollars which in those days was a considerable sum of money and served to eliminate the lower classes. The lottery must have been brought to a successful conclusion, for it is recorded that in 1764 , a building was constructed and used for the purpose intended. There are no data concerning the construction of the building in the records studied. There is no further record of this building's be- ing historically important until 1783. On this date, the immortal Washington made the building famous. He arrived in Annapolis on December 2J, 1783 and tendered his resig- nation and delivered his farewell address as Com-iander in Chief of the Continental Army in the Chamber of the House of Delegates, State House. Afterward he visiteu and was visited by the President of Congress and other notables. In the evening, a Ball was given for his honor and enter- tainment in the Ball Room of the City. Howard, in the "Mon- umental City" says, "General Washington opened the dancing with Mistress Macoubbin of Annapolis, one of the most beautiful women of her day". A bronze plaque has been placed on this building by the Daughters of the American -15- Kevolution stating that three of the original walls remain of the Ball Room in which Washington was entertained. It is recorded that at several times in its life, the Ball Koom has been used by the Maryland Assembly when the State Mouse was not available for that purpose due to repairs, fire, rebuilding or other reasons. There is also record throughout the minutes of the Corporation Council of the tall Roomys being rented to various organizations for the purpose of giving concerts, lectures, banquets, etc. tfiley gives the best and indeed the only descrip- tion of the building in his "Annals of Annapolis". He states: "The ball Room is on the Uuke of Gloucester St. and is a spacious edifice. The dancing room is large and of elegant construction, and when illuminated, shows to great advantage ; the walls are decorated by a full length likeness of uharles, Lord Baltimore and portraits of sev- eral of the former u-overnors of Maryland. At the lower ex- tremity is the supper room, which was formerly the revenue office of the province. At the upper end is a card room for the use of the gentlemen who may choose to enjoy the •circulation of the party-coloured gentry' without having their attention diverted by the sounds of the violin and the evolutions of youthful performers." -16- The next event which was to cause the 3all Room to be historically remembered was that internal con- flict, which disrupted the state temporarily, the Civil War. While no actual fighting took place near this build- ing, it was used as the headquarters of the Seventh Mass- achusetts Infantry, a guard house, a prison camp, and an armory at different times. At the time of the Union inva- sion, the paintings and decorations were removed to pri- vate homes and other safer places. Most of these were recovered after the war and now may be seen in the State House. A beautiful chandelier of glass, according to Mr. Brant, an old resident, was removed piece by piece as sou- venirs by the northern army. Not one piece remains. At some time between the conclusion of the War and 1868, the ball Room was burned. The exact date of the fire or its cause is not recorded. In fact, the only data on this was obtained from Mr. Brant who remembers the fire. There is a record of an expenditure for "rebuilding" the Ball Room in 1867 in the day book of the City Council, so a catastrophe such as a fire must have taken place prior to this date. The rebuilding took place between December 9, -17- 1867 and March 9, 1868. It was finished and ready for occupancy before March 23, 1868, for an entry can be found in the Council records ordering: " that the clerk be and he is herby directed to prepare for the next meeting of this board in the new building". On March 2J, 1868 then, the Old Ball Hoom be- came the tiity Hall and it has so remained to the present date. The writer's conception of the change in appearance of the Old Ballroom when rebuilt will be given later un- der the title "Construction of the New City Hall? Events now proceed regularly and evenly from 1868 to today. A portion of the building has been used as the offices of the Major and the meeting place of the City Council. There is also housed in the City Hall, the Fire Company, Police Headquarters, City Library, Water Company Office, Community Welfare Center, and the Tax Col- lector Office. -18- CONSTRUCTION OF OLD CITY HILL The writer has previously intimated that little or no data is available, and at this point he wishes to reit- erate this statement concerning the Old City Hall on Church or Main Street. The building itself is oblong, the narrow portion facing Main Street. The front is about twenty-five feet and the depth about forty. It is of solid brick con- struction with walls fifteen inches thick. The lower front has probably been changed materially with the passing of years. If the assumption that the City Hall was once a dwelling is correct, the front would have had to be changed to permit the entrance and exit of the fire apparatus. The front has since been changed to accommodate a store display. The roof at present is of tin but it was probably originally wooden shingle as were the other buildings in Annapolis. Atop the structure was a cupola which served to house the fire bell. The bell, being the property of the City, was removed when the City Hall was changed. The cupo- la remained for about twenty years; longer but it was final- ly removed by Dr. Feldmeyer because it was found that it caused leaks in the roof which could not be repaired with- -19- out its removal. The writer was unable to explore the loft under the roof because the trap door leading there- to has been boarded up and sealed. If in the writer's opinion as stated in the History of the Old Town Hall, the building was a private residence, it must have been remodeled when first used by the City council. A dwelling house of its size would cer- tainly have been divided into chambers and rooms but the old Council Hoom on the second floor of the building takes up the entire space. Around the edge of the ceiling was a peculiar moulding. A drawing of this moulding will be found at the end of this thesis. At present there is only a small section of the original remaining. This section was retained for its historic value by the present owner Dr. JJ'eldmeyer when the building was remodeled. There was kept for the same reason a section of a wooden border which probably was the top of a wainscoting which encircled the walls. A sketch of this border also appears with the moulding. On the west side of the room is a colonial fire- place made of wood. It Is now in a very delapidated con- dition having been used as a coal and wood bin but its -20- harmon lous proportions remain. One of the spindle column sides has been removed probably as a souvenir and a por- tion of the mantel has been sawed off to make room for a partition. A sketch of this old fireplace will be found along with those of the moulding and border. The room is nut obstructed by any pillars or supporting posts. There is evidence however that a small from pipe ran/floor to ceiling in the center of the room. The purpose of this was to contain the rope connecting the bell in the cupola with the fire engine house below so it could be rung more conveniently. As to the other furnishings or trims, the writ- er was unable to obtain further information. This part of the Old Oity Hall is used now by a young dentist. Parti- tions have been erected almost to the ceiling. X'qut rooms have been thus formed, an office, a waiting room, a store room, and a lavs tory. The stairway, a narrow and rather steep one, as- cending from the ground floor on the south side of the building now enters a small hallway but apparently in form- er times it entered directly into the council tfoom. The lower floor is at present used as a store by Mr. i?'rank. So many changes have been made in this sec- -21- tion of the building that probably no original material remains except the walls. This floor is divided into two parts, the front being the sales room and the rear the store room. In this rear portion there is the trace of an old fireplace now boarded up which shows that there were two fireplaces for heating. There were no other sources of heat however, for there are no chimneys other than the one in the rear. The^e are but few people today who know that this old and time worn building once served the City of Annapolis as its City Hall. This is not strange however, for at present it seems to be anything but that. It is not impressive, imposing, or pleasing to the eye although not unsightly. The writer* s opinion is that as all other buildings and material things become antidated and anti- quated, they are replaced by more modern structures, so will the Old City Hall pass unmourned to make way for a newer, more modern and up to date place of business. -22- CONSTRUCTION OF NEW CITY HALL Very little information can be obtained con- cerning the actual materials, plans, contractor or any other details of construction of the Old Ball Room. There are no official records, pictures, or written descriptions of this building, so the writer will endeavor to give a verbal picture of the Ball Room as it was described to him by Mr, J. H. Brant the only resident of Annapolis old enough to remember it before the fire of 1862. "One story, two Pediment fronts, one on each end. Had a Ball Hoom, supper room and game room. Thats all I remember". This description is short, plain and to the point but it cer- tainly does not go into detail. In the absence of any definite words about the Ball Room, the writer will have to present his views on the construction as determined from observation and research. The building was set on a foundation composed of large irregular shaped granite rocks. The exposed sur- faces of these rocks have been so often plastered with ce- ment that only here and there do they show. The walls are solid brick masonry twenty-eight inches thick. There seem to have been no definite plan in -23 the laying of these bricks other than to get them in place. Some of the courses are half headed, and half regular. It appears that when two or more men worked together, each did his job with no regard to his fellow workers. The source of the brick used in this building is unknown but it is very doubtful that they, or any other brick in Annapolis were imported from England. It is true that many buildings are constructed of English type bricks, that is long and narrow, but these bricks were made in or near Annapolis. There were brick kilns operating all over Faryland before 1700. If the vicinity of many of the old Colonial homes is examined closely, there will usually be found a circular pit somewhere from which the clay was taken to make the bricks for the structure; The clay pits and kilns from which the bricks of Annapolis were obtained are up the Severn Hiver about two miles. These kilns are mentioned as early as lb94 as producing a superior brick at a reasonable cost. It is evident that the Annapolitans would not go to the expense of importing such an article if good cheap bricks were available at home. The only data the writer has found on the interior trim is that the walls were decorated with beautiful pic- tures and that a large chandelier illuminated it in the -2 4 - ■ evening. The type of furniture is also vague. There are however records of benches being purchased for the ball Room for the use of the dancers. It is very probable that extensive changes were made in "the Ball Koom by the occupants during the Civil War because the type of finish for a place of entertain- ment is not suitable for use as a guard house or prison camp. Information concerning material used and con- struction of the roof is also lacking. A study of the present building, though, suggests that it was a single ridge pole type covered with cedar shingles. The writer supposes the covering to be uf this construction for most of the buildings were roofed in this way. The manner in which the shingles were made is interesting. A straight grained cedar log was set up in a machine resembling a guilliotine. The blade was then brought down splitting off a section of log about three -eights of an inch thick Shingles made in this way are called ruve shingles. They are very durable and satisfactory, lasting in some cases over a hundred years. In a second interview, Mr. tfrant went more into detail about the pediment fronts. It seems that this con- struction was a quite fashionable way of finishing off a -25- bullding. Each pediment was shaped to conform to the end conat ruction of the building to which it was attached. They extended out probably not more than fifteen feet and were made of the same material as the nain structure. The fire, after the Civil war must have complete- ly destroyed the interior of the Old Ball Room, for no por- tion of it was used when the new City Hall was built out of its ruins. The twenty-eight inch walls however withstood the ravages of fire as they were considered sufficiently strong to serve as portions of the new building. The view of the City Hall from the north shows clearly the outline of the Old Ball Koom and its size. The other two original walls are on the rear and south end now covered by a newer building. In the line sketch of the wall plan of the City Hall, the original walls are shown in red, the reconstructed and rebuilt walls of I867-I868 in green, and the later addition in black. The addition on the south end of. the City Hall was constructed about 1900. It is of brick, the same as the older portion. No effort has been made to metch either the brick or method of laying. There are two stories, a cellar, but no loft. The front of the building is well lighted with large windows. The si] Is are ooncrete show- -26- ing the modern type of construction. Across the top, on the front of the building is a decorative balustrade of concrete columns. The main entrance for the entire City Hall is in this new part. It is a copy of an old colonial doorway but is original in no way, being made of present day materials. The building is not of particular inter- est being neither ancient, nor ultra modern. Perhaps the best than can be said of this building is that it is new compared with the rest of the City Hall. The main entrance of the City Hall opens into a spacious hallway. To the right is the office of the Ma- yor and the City Clerk. In the rear is the Council Chamber. a large room, access to which is given by two large double doors. A colonial stairway leading to the second floor is located at the rear and slightly to the left of the hall. The tax collector's office is to the north of the stairs. These offices and rooms make up the first floor of the ad- dition. To the left of the main entrance and passing through a portion of the Old Ball Room wall, one enters a small room which apparently is not used. Adjacent to this is the office of the Chief of Police, to which is connected by a doorway the officer's room and a small jail. The north end -27- of the building is occupied by a portion of the fire depart- ment of the City of Annapolis. This last group of offices are located on the site of the Old Ball Room. There is no oeller under this portion of the building, but under the new part there is a small one housing the heating equipment. The stairway divides about half way up, one part ascending to the right, giving access to the Water Company* s executive offices. The left branch of the stair- way enters a small hall to the left of which is the City Welfare Worker f s room. Here is stored a very interesting and unique piece of apparatus. It is a fire engine used by Annapolis in the 1700' s, and was then the most modern "Fire Machine" that could be obtained. A photograph of it will be found at the end of this thesis. To the north of the hallway is the Ball Room. This is a large room about thirty by seventy feet, in which are held lectures, dances and public entertainment. A good idea of the thickness of the walls may be obtained by ex- amining the window detail in the picture of the Ball Room. These walls extend fully as far outside the windows as they do inside. At the northeast end of the Ball Room is a door -28- entering into the Public Library. This space was former- ly used as the firemen r s living quarters. The circular hole through which the firemen used to descend on a pole in emer- gency may still be seen in the floor. The present Ball Room is a good indicator of the size of the Old Ball Room for it is built on the foundation of it. The loft of the City Hall is reached only by a ladder enclosed in a semicircular casing of wood in the north end of the Ball Room. It is uninteresting and is not used except by a myriad of birds that court and nest here. Surmounting the building on the north end is a cupola. It will be interesting to know that Mr. Brant who gave the writer many ideas on the subject helped construct this useful adornment when he was a young apprentice at the carpenter trade. The old fire bell which used to hang here has been replaced by a modern fire siren. The roof girders support sheathing and shingles. These shingles have lasted from the reconstruction of the building until to-day. It was thought advisable to cover them with a tin roof and this has been put on over the old shingles . -29- There appear to "be conflicting accounts con- cerning the magnificence of the buildings of ancient Annapolis, One author, Eddis, in his letters, relates that in his estimation, Annapolis is the Athens of Amer- ica. Another author, Riley, seems to differ with Mr, Eddis for in his "Annals of Arnapolis", he says, "In our little metropolis, the public buildings do not impress the mind with any idea of magnificence, having been chiefly erected during the infancy of the colony, when convenience was the directing principle without attention to the em- bellishment of art". Architecturally speaking, the writer is inclined to agree with Mr. Riley's description for, certainly, today the public buildings of the seventeen hundreds are not impressive to say the least. Making due allowance, however, for the material and tools with which these people had to work, and the many adversities piled upon them over which they had no control, the engineer of today can only marvel at the detail of construction and the permanency that his older brothers in trade built into their structures as an ordinary part of their work. -30- [»|».|.!| <ll,t'|l-| "| 'hi l\\ft.\ll Mw\f>\myn\i>tm\/k\»\iii»> Fig. 1. Sketch of Moulding in Old City Hall. Fig, 2. Sketch of Cornice in Council Chamber of Old City Hall. I , 1 ? T= i I Fig. 5. Sketch of Fireplace in Council Chamber in Old City Hall. tn Bed ; Of'.y.k't fro/* i76+ Crmrr, z Added < • I Qiock: Added about ffOO State = ("= l^feei I Fig* 4. Line sketch of Wall Plan of New City Hall, -33- Fig. 5. View of New City Hall from the North. Fig. 6. View of New City Hall from the South showing portions built in 1868 and 19 00, -34- . Fig. 7. Size of Brick used in reconstructing Old Ball Room for New City Hall. if. a. Bronze Tablet placed on New City Hall by The Daughters of the American Revolution. -35- Fie. 9. View of Old Fire Engine used in the 1700* s and Housed in Old City Hall. Now Stored in New City Hall. Fig. 10. Ball Room in New City Hall, -56- B1BLI0GRABH* The material presented in this thesis was ob- tained from the following sources: Personal interviews with: Mr. and Mrs. T. D. Gassaway. Mrs. Gassaway, whose father formerly owned the old, Uity Hall, is a matron in the D. A. k. and is a student of early Annapolis history. Dr. JPeldraeyer , a retired dentist, and the pre- sent owner of the Old uity Hall. Mr. J, A. Walton, President of the Annapolis Banking and Trust Company. Hon. w. E« Queens ted t , Mayor of the City of Annapolis . ihe county Engineer. Mr. T. w. Brant, retired builder and contrac- tor, a well known Annapolitan. "r. Trader, Commissioner of the State Land Office. Clerk of oourt, Anne Arundel county as Linthicum, City Clerk of Annapolis Maryland State Librarian Dr. h. t. Haines Halsey, History Department, -37- St. Johns College. ■ Librarian of the Municipal Library of Annapolis Perusals of the following volumes: History of Maryland, Scharf History of Maryland, Mc Sherry Ye Ancient Capital of Maryland, B. S. Riley The Public. Buildings at Annapolis, 3, E. Mudd Letters from America, Eddis Maryland , Browne The Monumental City, G. W. Howard Souvenir of Annapolis Description of Annapolis, Minna Thurston History of Annapolis, uwen Iff, Taylor Historic Houses, D. H. Smith Annals of Annapolis, Ridgley History of Maryland, Bozeman Two Hundred Years with the Maryland Gazzette Examination of the followinr official records Liber S.H.-3-b7 Anne Arundel County Court House Index to deeds and other Libers, Anne Arundel County Court House. Excerps from deeds, Land Office Building - 5 8- statements of Ownership and Title, Land Office Building Old Maps of Annapolis, Land Office Building Day Books, Expenditures, Minutes, Miscellan- eous and other records of the City Council from 1754-1930, City Hall Annapolis The Maryland Gazzette I794-I854, Maryland State Library The Maryland Historical Society and the Johns Hopkins University Press were consulted but little infor- mation was obtained.