— __ — _ . .
Closing Maryville's 121st year, June 1-5, 1940
SATURDAY, JUNE 1 12:00 noon— Class Reunion Luncheons us
8:00 p.m.— Band Concert and "Sing" in arranged
Woods Amphitheatre 3:00 p.m. to 5 :00 p.m. - Reception to
Alumni, Parents of Students,
SUNDAY, JUNE 2 , 0th ^ r G , uests > ; l " d . Seniors
,..._, _ _ by President and Mrs. Lloyd
10:j0a.m. — Bacca aureate service — ber- „ j r\ c* ► J\
. _ . , T , , and Dr. btevenson at the
mon by President Lloyd President's House
7:00 p.m.— Commencement Vespers - 7m _ Annual Alumm Dinn Peal ,
Sermon by Dr. Stevenson sons Ha „
MONDAY, JUNE 3 WEDNESDAY, JUNE 5
8:00 p.m.— Senior Class Play - "The 8:30 a.m.— Spring Meeting of the D.-
Dover Road *\ s
10:00 a.m. — Commencement Exercises
TUESDAY, JUNE 4 Address by Dr. H. A. Mor-
8:10 a.m. — Chapel Service gan, Chairman of the Tennes-
9:25 a.m. — Alumni Seminars see Valley Authority
OFFICERS OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
President James W. Kins:, '2 5
Vice-President Cecil V. Marley, '32
Recording Secretary Mrs. Olive Wilson Murray, '13
Executive Secretary Geneva Hutchinson
Class of 1940: Mrs. Belle Pickens Goddard, '12; Nellie P. McCampbell, '09:
Carl M. Storey, '31.
Class of 1941: John A. Davis. '30; Chester B. LeQuire, '27; Mrs. Freddie God-
dard McCulloch. '04.
Class of 1942: Earle Crawford, '35; Mrs. Bermce Lowry Park, '16; Robert C.
MARYVILLE COLLEGE BULLETIN
Published by Maryville College, Maryville, Tennessee
Ralph Waldo Lloyd, President
Vol. XXXVIII April, 1940 No. 7
Published quarterly by Maryville College. Entered May 24, 1904, at Maryville, Tennessee,
as second-class mail matter. Acceptance for mailing at special rate of postage provided for in
Section 1103. Act of October 3, 1917, authorized February 10, 1919.
THE ALUMNI MAGAZINE
According to the Plan of Class Reunions adopted as
the official plan by Maryville College in April 1936,
the following classes will hold class reunions this year:
78, '79, '80, '81, '90 (the fifty year class) ,'97, '98, '99, '00,
'15 (the twenty-five year class), '16, '17, '18, '19, '35,
'36, and '37.
Several of the classes are planning special class re-
unions aside from the regular Alumni Banquet and re-
union. The following are acting as correspondents for
'98 — Horace Lee Ellis, Maryville College, Maryville,
'15 — Ralph W. Lloyd, Maryville College, Maryville,
'16 — Harwell B. Park, Maryville, Tennessee.
'17 — Augustus Sisk, Maryville College, and Mark
B. Crum, Maryville, Tennessee.
'18 — Roy Ritter Anderson, 1721 West Cumberland
Avenue, Knoxville, Tennessee.
'19 — Ralph E. Smith, Danville, Kentucky, and Cath-
arine Wilkinson, Maryville College, Maryville.
'35— Earle W. Crawford, 3803 McCalla Avenue,
'36 — M. H. Gamble, Maryville, and Archie F. Pieper,
'37 — Donnell McArthur, Maryville, Tennessee.
Tuesday, June 4, will be Alumni Day. There will
be special alumni seminars. Tickets for the Banquet
should be secured, if at all possible, by noon, Tuesday,
June 4. Tickets are 75c. An information table will
be maintained on the campus or the porch of the
Chapel by the Alumni Executive Committee. The
Alumni Office is on the first floor of Anderson Hall,
toward the Annex entrance. All visiting alumni and
former students are invited to make it their headquar-
ters. Miss Hutchinson will be glad to answer any mail
inquiries, receive the $2.00 annual dues, help arrange
class reunions, or assist in any other way possible.
Some have asked about the number of Alumni
Magazines issued each year. There are but two, one in
the Fall, one in the Spring. This is the third issue of
the kind. It is the hope of the Executive Committee
to publish the Magazine quarterly but so far it has
only been possible to publish it semi-annually.
The expenses of this Magazine are borne by the
Alumni who pay dues. Dues are the only source of
income. Whether in the future the Magazine is to
be sent to only those who pay dues, will be considered
at the Annual Meeting in June. So far we have sent
it to all alumni. A number of encouraging comments
have been made about the value of continuing the
Magazine. It costs considerably more than does a
smaller bulletin. This year the dues have been paid in
in an encouraging way. The way the dues come in
must determine alumni interest and support in connec-
tion with the Magazine.
MARYVILLE BREAKFAST AT
GENERAL ASSEMBLY, ROCHESTER
There will be a Maryville College breakfast again for
all Maryville graduates, former students, directors, and
other special friends of the College, who are in Ro-
chester, N. Y. at the time of the 1940 Presbyterian
General Assembly. All will be guests of the College.
The breakfast will be held at the Seneca Hotel,
Rochester, on Saturday morning, May 25, at 8:00
o'clock. This is one day later than in the last two
years. There will be posters at the Assembly Hall and
the Seneca Hotel, on which all who can attend should
register. Dr. H. E. Orr, of the Faculty, is a Commis-
sioner to the General Assembly this year, and President
Lloyd expects to be there as a visitor.
President Emeritus Wilson was eighty-two on Febru-
ary 17. He has been confined to the house, and for
some time was confined to his bed, with the "flu," but
is better at this time. He finds his strength more frail
than in former years and is not able to carry on cor-
respondence as formerly. However, the College and
all her people are in his thoughts daily as they have
been these six decades.
IN MEMORIAM: DR. JAMES HENRY McMURRAY
On February 18, 1940, the Young Men's Christian
Association hung a new picture in their auditorium in
Bartlett Hall. It is an excellent print of Hoffman's
"Head of Christ." It is dedicated to the memory of
Dr. James Henry McMurray, late Professor and Head
of the Department of Social Sciences who died April
NEW MARYVILLE ALUMNI CLUBS
During the past two months two new Maryvillc Col'
lege Alumni Clubs have been organized, and one re-
The first was the "Chattanooga Maryville College
Club" which formally came into being at a meeting
held in the parlors of the Second Presbyterian Church
(Dr. Robert M. Stimson, Pastor). E. Rebecca Bigger,
"25, was Chairman ot the meeting.
The second was the "Birmingham Maryvillc College
Club" organized on April 17 in a meeting held in the
Sixth Avenue Presbyterian Church (Dr. Joseph M.
Broady, Pastor) after a church meeting in which
President Ralph W. Lloyd was the speaker. Officers
elected were: Rev. J. Haydcn Laster, '30, Chairman,
Annie Lois Hayes, '24, Secretary, and Mrs. Howard C.
Kaeff (Alice McAnulty, '23), Treasurer.
The "Knoxville Maryville College Club" was revived in
a large and enthusiastic meeting held at the Y.W.C.A.
on April 1. Miss Henry and Miss Hutchinson of
the College staff, and Mr. James W. King, '25, and
Earl A. Storey, '27, were guests. Hugh Powel, '34,
acted as chairman of the meeting. A nominating com-
mittee composed of Mrs. Walter Murray (Stella Mc-
Call, '22), chairman, Fred Cagle, '20, and Earle Craw-
ford, '35, was appointed. Officers are to be elected at
the next meeting of the club which will be on May
1. The Club plans to attend the College May Day
ceremonies and have a picnic supper and meeting
afterwards. Other committees appointed were: Con-
stitution, Mrs. Claiborne Anderson (Ceraldine Odell,
'23), J. B. Young, '07, and Thelma lies, '34; Program,
Orton L. Duggan, '12, Edward Hamilton, '26, and
Mrs. Edwin Best (Leone Anne Brown, '36) ; Contacts
and Transportation, Mrs. B. M. Elrod (Anne Sharp,
'21), Mrs. G. L. Barber (Nellie McMurray, '11), Mrs.
J. M. Clopton (Carrie Lou Tweed, '34), Mrs. S. L.
Irwin (Grace Caulton, '31), and Mrs. W. J. Marston
(Ruth McCampbell, '36).
As this goes to press plans are on the way for an
organization meeting in Nashville in the early part of
In all of these cities alumni have been taking an
active part in the New Forward Fund campaign during
the past months.
& ^ %
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA CLUB
As this Magazine goes to press we have had an
announcement of a meeting of the Southern California
Maryville College Club to be held on April 25, in Los
Angeles. President Lloyd has sent two reels of mo-
tion pictures of campus activities to be used at the
The Atlantic Highlanders Maryville College Club
held their tenth annual meeting on April 13 at the
Robert Morris Hotel in Philadelphia. Sixty-four mem-
bers were present. Dr. Albert F. Murray, '15, gave
a talk on television. Miss Clemmie J. Henry, Director
of Student-Help, was the main speaker. Special recog-
nition was given to Roger S. Boardman, '96, and
Samuel W. Boardman, '94, sons of the fourth President
of Maryville College.
The retiring officers, Rev. Harry Ingram Fell, '29,
President, and Kathryn Adams, '38, Vice President,
were replaced in the election by George Osborne, '32,
and Mrs. Zelma Alexander McCann, '31. The office
of Secretary-Treasurer is filled for a three year term
so Harold F. Holman, '29, continues to serve in that
THE NEW FORWARD FUND
The New Forward Fund Campaign announced in the
October issue of the Alumni Magazine is proceeding
according to schedule. Campaign efforts in Knoxville,
Chattanooga, Nashville, and Birmingham have been
carried on in a joint plan with other Tennessee Presby-
terian institutions. A separate Maryville campaign
has been conducted m Blount County. The first ob-
jective is $185,000 in 1940; the longer and larger ob-
jective anticipates approximately $500,000 by the 125th
anniversary in 1944.
The total secured from all sources since last fall is
now something over $100,000, but certain parts are
not immediately available for use. Still other funds
are known to be in prospect. However, to complete
our objective of 1940 will require every possible en-
deavor and cooperation. Miss Henry is now in the
North seeking funds for the Student Rotating Loan
The alumni are giving excellent cooperation in this
effort to help Maryville College meet its expanding
:£ & &
NEW FORWARD FUND BULLETIN
The Maryville College Bulletin for January, 1940, is
one of twelve pages prepared by President Lloyd for
use in connection with the New Forward Fund cam-
paign. It is entitled "Maryville College Dedicated to
Christian Higher Education Since Its Founding in 1819."
It contains some twenty concise articles and lists and
nineteen pictures setting forth the background, program,
and needs of Maryville College, and is very attractive-
ly printed. It will be mailed to alumni on request. It
is hoped that alumni will be increasingly active in the
effort to interest possible donors in Maryville College.
This bulletin will be helpful in stating the case of the
The Alumni Magazine carries in this issue an article
contributed by Dean Hunter at our request. It is
thought that future issues may include other brief
scholarly articles of this type by members of the faculty
or other writers.
THE INTERPRETER'S FUNCTION
Dr. Edwin R. Hunter, Dean of Curriculum
The proper functions of the teacher of literature are
varied. He must be, to a degree, a historian of the
social, political and economic condition of the times
in which his materials of study were written; he must
be a historian of the philosophic ideas and current
scientific and religious ideas of those times; he must
be familiar with what is known of the history of the
text; he must know what is and has been believed about
the life of the author; he must be versed in the Ian-
guage of the period and so be able to make it clear to
modern users of the tongue; he must be able to analyse
and estimate the author's style; and he must be able to
interpret carefully and under the checks and balances of
all the rest of his knowledge the author's meaning.
In spite of all the proper emphasis to be given to
the other approaches, the function of interpreter is
the most important. In the advanced levels of literary
study the others tend to come to the fore but in un-
dergraduate study they are properly at the service of
interpretation, and so must remain in the background.
One of the perennial questions asked of the in-
terpreter of literature comes when he leads his students
into some subtlety of explanation, some nice undercur-
rent point of interpretation. They ask, "But do you
think the author was aware of that? Aren't we read-
ing into it something of which he never thought?"
And often, alas, that may be true, but often, also, if
the interpreter is careful and bears in mind the con-
trolling facts of all the history and common knowledge
of the author's day, it is not true.
For the author's mind working creatively is an active
and concentrated agent. Working at his task of crea-
tion, he focuses his powers on his materials. Say to
him as he works, "But Mr. Shakespere or Miss Austen,
your folk in the theater or your readers in their
boudoirs won't get all this — the action is too swift, the
spectacle too engrossing, the details too crowded," and,
of course, your author will say, "Ah yes, that's true.
I'm forgetting that; this will be wasted." But back at
his task once more, his genius is soon as prodigal as
Those of us who have taught or have practiced
public speech to any extent have become aware often
times of how much more of the speech or lecture we
are getting than is any of our hearers. We follow,
because they arc our own, all the connections of thought;
we observe, because we put them there, all the subtle-
ties of expression. The whole matter is in our minds,
and we find ourselves often times dashed by the dis-
covery that our best student or our most sympathetic
auditor got half or less of it and missed altogether some
of our best gems of expression.
And yet the next time we are up, we find ourselves
at it again, throwing into it our mind's best effort
Of course, this is why the quiet concentration of the
trained student in the study sees in the work far more
than does the spectator in the theater or the casual
reader. And this concentration, properly guided, brings
the interpreter closer to the state of mind of the
creative artist who made the piece than is otherwise
It goes almost without saying that such criticism,
uncontrolled and on the loose, is capable of ludicrous
and grotesque results. But to leave Shakespere in
the theater is to miss much. And the efforts of sane
controlled interpretation are warranted, for they amount,
at their best, to a recovery or a near recovery of the
artist's own mind processes at the moment of creation.
SUMMER SYNOD AND CONFERENCES
The Synod and Synodical Society of Tennessee will
meet on the campus again, for the four days of June 18
to 2 1 . The combined business, conference, and class
plan initiated last year will be followed. Dr. Charles
R. Erdman of Princeton will return to conduct the
morning Bible hours and the evening Vespers. Other
out-of-Synod leaders include Dr. Joseph A. Vance, Dr.
William Ralph Hall, Dr. Stuart R. Oglesby, Rev. S.
Franklin Mack, and one of the leaders in the women's
program. The present Moderator of Synod is Dr. W. P.
Bone, of Lebanon, and the Stated Clerk, Dr. E. L. Orr,
of Nashville; the President of Synodical is Gray Webb
Proffitt (M.C'16) of Maryville. The Chairmen of the
program Committees are Ralph W. Lloyd (M.O'15)
for the Synod and Mrs. F. L. Young, of Knoxville, for
Three Young People's Conferences will be held on
the campus during the summer: (1) From June 10 to
15, Knoxville Presbytery (Presbyterian Church, U. S.);
(2) June 24 to 29, Conference for East Tennessee
(Presbyterian Church, U. S. A.): (3) July 2 to 9,
Young People's Tri-Synod Conference for Tennessee,
Alabama and Mississippi (Presbyterian Church, LI. S.
A.). The representative of the Presbyterian Board of
Christian Education for the Tri-Statc area is Rev. C.
E. Cathey (M.C/2^). The Chairman of the Com-
mittee on Christian Education m the Synod of Tennes-
see is Dr. John A. McAfee, Pastor of the New Provi-
dence Presbyterian Church of Maryville.
Maryville's annual May Day celebration will be May
1 in the Amphitheatre in the Woods. The theme of
the entertainment is centered around Shakespeare's im-
mortal "Midsummer Night's Dream."
Charlotte St. Pierre Moughton, of Florida, is to be
the Queen of the celebration. She will be escorted by
the Senior Class President, James Etheredge, Alabama,
as King. The attendints will be: Maids of honor: Jane
Law, Pennsylvania, and Edith Evans, Tennessee: Junior
Attendants: Louise Wells, Tennessee, and William
Baird, Ohio; Elisabeth Ann Huddleston, Tennessee, and
Thomas Cragan, Tennessee; Sophomore Attendants:
Mary Alice Grubb, Tennessee, and Hilton Wick,
Pennsylvania; Rachel McCall, Tennessee, and David
McDamel, Tennessee; Freshman Attendants: Jean Mc-
Cutcheon, New Jersey, and Dudley Moore, Ohio; Mar-
gie Field, Tennessee, and Charles Foreman, Pennsyl-
Mrs. Nita Eckles West is general supervisor of the
entu-e pageant. Faculty co-workers arc Mrs. Evelyn
N. Queener, who is directing the dances, and Miss
Ruth K. Thompson, who is directing the music.
HONOR SOCIETY RECOGNITION
Maryville College's scholastic honorary society, Alpha
Gamma Sigma, held its annual recognition ceremonies
in the Chapel on April 20, for the newly elected mem-
bers. President Ralph W. Lloyd presided and spoke
briefly concerning the history and purpose of the
society and welcomed the new members. Dean Hunter
read the requirements and called the newly elected mem-
bers to the platform. The main address was given
by Dr. Archie M. Palmer, President of the University
The newly elected members are: Ruth Abercrombie,
Massachusetts; Helen Bewley, Ohio; Ruth Crawford,
Tennessee; John Fisher, Iran; Margaret Halscy, Florida;
Jane Law, Pennsylvania; Dan McGill, Tennessee; Ruth
Mack, Florida; Harriet Miller, Florida; Thomas Schaffer,
Ohio; Margaret Sisk, Tennessee; and Arda Walker,
The officers for this year are: Ruth Crawford, Mary-
ville, President; Dr. Ralph S. Collins, of the faculty,
Vice-President; and Dean E. R. Hunter, Secretary.
PI KAPPA DELTA CONVENTION
The national forensic convention of Pi Kappa Delta,
national forensic fraternity, was held in Knoxville,
March 25-29, 1940. The Maryville College Chapter of
Pi Kappa Delta, which is the Alpha Chapter of Ten-
nessee, was official host to the convention. Professor
Verton M. Queener, who is in charge of forensics at
the College and also a national officer, and Mr. Archie
Pieper, also of the faculty and assistant in forensics,
carried excellently the immense task for arranging and
conducting a convention made up of approximately 700
delegates from 125 colleges scattered from coast to
coast. Essential services were rendered by student mem-
bers of the Maryville forensics squad and by various
members of the faculty.
Maryville debaters and speakers gave good account of
themselves, ranking high, if not first, at the conclu-
sion of a week of hundreds of contests and debates.
Have You Paid
DEATHS AMONG "OUR FOREIGN LEGION"
In 1934 Dr. Wilson wrote his notable record of
Maryville's foreign missionaries under the title "Our
Foreign Legion." He used again the cut he had used
in "A Century of Maryville College" containing the
pictures of the eight who soon followed the first of
Maryville's envoys to foreign lands, Rev. George White-
field Painter who went to China in 1873. This picture
of these eight noble men and women has become
familiar to Maryville people.
Within the last year, three of the eight have died,
Rev. Dr. John A. Silsby, Miss Francina Eliza Porter
and Miss Cora C. Bartlett, leaving now but one, Mrs.
Lyman B. Tedford (Sara Silsby), of Maryville, living.
^ 3* &
NEW MEMBERS OF "OUR FOREIGN LEGION"
Mary Lillian Robison Spitzer, '28, finished her work
as Director of Chinese Work, Church of All Nations,
New York City, and sailed July 15, 1939, for Szech-
wan, China. After a much longer journey than had
been expected, she arrived there on October 27. She
had driven more than 1000 miles in a station wagon
from Haiphong French Indo-China. She is to do
student work and is now in Language School. On
Christmas Day she was married to Professor Allen
Spitzer, professor of English, University of Nanking.
In April Rev. Robert E. Lodwick, '36, (son of Rev.
E. W. Lodwick, '09) with his wife sailed for Brazil to
become the 139th Maryville College foreign missionary
to go out since Dr. Painter sailed in 1873, and the
163rd member of "Our Foreign Legion" in which Dr.
Wilson included others doing educational and govern-
ment service abroad as well as those serving directly
This is a foreign missionary record matched by
few colleges of Maryville's size. One half of "Our
Foreign Legion" are in service abroad today. Not
only so, but the recruits are joining at the average rate
of the sixty-seven years of its existence.
* * *
GIFT BY DR. ELLIS
The late Dr. Edwin L. Ellis, Class of 1900, gave his
medical library to the College. In each book is a
plate containing an explanatory and biographical state-
ment. The first and last sentences read as follows:
"This book is one of 214 volumes bequeathed to
Maryville College by Dr. Edwin Link Ellis in honor of
his brother, Horace Lee Ellis, Librarian of Maryville
College For more than thirty years, he (Dr.
Ellis) was a practicing physician in Maryville, Blount
County, and adjoining counties. He died October 22,
MRS. WILLIAM PATTON STEVENSON
The College suffered a heavy loss in the death of
Mrs. William Patton Stevenson, wife of the College
Pastor. She died on December 4, 1939, after being
painfully ill of arthritis for two years. Mrs. Stevenson
had been for twenty-two years one of the most beloved
members of the College community and her home was
a center of hospitality and Christian culture. The
funeral service, held in the College Chapel on De-
cember 6, was conducted by President Lloyd, Dr. Mc-
Afee, and Dr. Crothers, and the College Choir, and
burial was in the College cemetery not far from "The
House in the Woods" which had been her home since
coming from Yonkers, New York, to Maryville in 1917,
and which Dr. Stevenson continues to make his home
as he serves students and faculty week by week.
THE NEW STEINWAY CONCERT
A dream of many years has come true. The faith-
ful old grand piano purchased second-hand many years
ago has been replaced on the Chapel platform by a
wonderful new Steinway concert grand piano, the
largest and best instrument made by Steinway. Its
purchase is being covered by current funds of the
Fine Arts Division and the Artists' Series budgets and
by gifts. The part furnished by the Artists' Series is
from money usually paid out for renting pianos of
suitable quality (often from distant cities) for visiting
artists. The first gift for the piano was made last
year by Rev. Dr. William Thaw Bartlett, whose father
was third president of the College and whose mother
in 1872 organized and conducted the first piano teach-
ing in the College.
Gradually much needed pianos are being added to
the equipment of the Division of Fine Arts. Within
the past four years three new small grand and three
new upright pianos have been placed in the various
studios. And of course, there is the lovely pipe organ
installed in the Chapel a year ago.
* * #
THE COLLEGE MUSICAL GROUPS
The fame of the Maryville College Choir of forty
voices continues to expand. It seems too expensive in
money and time to send them "on tour." But oc-
casionally they accept invitations away from Maryville.
In recent months they have sung at the large meeting
of the East Tennessee Education Association; at the
State Conference of the Daughters of the American
Revolution; in the Second Presbyterian Church, Knox-
ville, at a service for the Pi Kappa Delta National Con-
vention; in the Second Presbyterian Church, Chatta-
nooga; at the Convention of the American Automobile
Association for the Southern States.
At the College the Choir and Glee Clubs and en-
larged choral groups have done some outstanding things:
the weekly Vespers, the special occasions, the Holy
Week services, the Messiah with 200 voices and the
orchestra in December, the "Bohemian Girl" with
seventy-five voices and the orchestra in April, and so on.
The Orchestra of thirty pieces and the Band of
fifty-one pieces with its gay uniforms, tall-hatted
drum major and Scotch-kilted twirlers, do great credit
and service to the College.
The efficient director of these groups is Mr. Ralph
R. Colbert, and they are a notable part of the pro-
gram of the Division of Fine Arts of which Miss Davies
is Chairman. The music faculty includes Miss Davies,
Mr. Colbert, Miss Home, and Miss Thompson.
MISS LAURA B. HALE
Since her retirement from the College faculty in
1936, Miss Laura B. Hale has lived and taught private-
ly in Maryville. She recently became ill and after it
appeared that she would not be able to resume her
teaching for the present, she went to Upper Sandusky,
Ohio, which is the residence of members of her family.
For twenty-four years, from 1912 to 1936, Miss Hale
was a member of the music faculty and for twenty-
two years was Head of the Department of Music.
She was widely known and highly regarded in music
circles, and brought into her service at the College a
natural culture and a devotion to her task that were
reflected both in the training of outstanding pianists
and in the establishment of Maryville as a music
Her many friends at Maryville and among alumni
everywhere will hope for her steady recovery.
Through funds provided by Maryville College, the
Presbyterian Board of National Missions, and the New
Providence Church, a Ford Station Wagon has been
purchased for use in transporting student workers to
the various points included in the Maryville College
Parish project. Dr. H. E. Orr, of the faculty, is
chairman of the Parish Committee and Rev. Floyd R.
Watt, (M.C. '21) is the Sunday School Missionary
supervising the program. Between 35 and 50 students
go out regularly each week to conduct services, teach
classes, and do other work. A considerable number of
other students render similar useful services in other
places not under supervision of the Parish Committee.
$ 3e $
Through the efforts of the Social Committee two
shuffleboards have been constructed near Pearsons Hall
financed jointly by the Social Committee and the Col-
lege. They will be ready for use shortly and will
fill a definite need. The boards are of the best possible
construction and have cues and discs of the latest con-
struction. Two score boards with porcelain finish will
be set up.
The Social Committee sponsored a show by the world
famous Tony Sarg Marionettes, and are giving the pro-
ceeds toward building the shuffleboards. The Marion-
ettes presented "Treasure Island" to the delight of the
packed house. It was one of the most successful pro-
ductions on the Hill this year.
TWO NEW FACULTY MEMBERS
Rev. John A. Gates, B.A., B.D., M.A., Ph.D., began
service at the opening of the second semester, February
5, as Associate Professor of Bible and Religious Edu-
cation, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Dr.
Rodgers in September. Dr. Gates comes to Maryville
from the College of the Ozarks where he has been
Dean and Professor of Bible. He holds his degrees
respectively from Parsons College, Presbyterian Theo-
logical Seminary, Northwestern University, and Yale
University. Before going to the College of the Ozarks
he served for fifteen years respectively as Pastor of
Brookfield Presbyterian Church, Marseilles, Illinois; Di-
rector or Minister of Religious Education in Bethlehem
Presbyterian Church and then of Westminster Presby-
terian Church, both of Minneapolis; First Presbyterian
Church, South Bend, Indiana; and the Church of the
Redeemer, New Haven, Connecticut. He is author of
a number of published writings in the field of religious
education. Dr. Gates is married and has one son and
Miss Virginia R. Purinton, B.A., M.A., began serv-
ice as Instructor in Art, to fill a vacancy caused by the
illness of Miss Dolch who had begun work at Mary-
ville only in September. Miss Purinton's degrees are
from Rockford College and the State University of
Iowa. She was for two years on the faculty of Dakota
Wesleyan University. Her home is in Molinc, Illinois.
* # *
ILLNESS OF COACH "BOB" THROWER
Coach "Bob" became ill with the "flu" about a
month ago, and was forced finally to go to the hospital
where, at this writing, he has been confined for three
weeks. He has been very sick and miserable and the
cause and exact nature of his illness have been baffling.
A host of friends ask about him daily and pray for
his early improvement and recovery.
NOTED LECTURER HERE
Maryville College had as visiting lecturer on April 22
and 23, Dr. Jaroslav Novak, a Chechoslovakian of wide
experience in world affairs and a lecturer of recognised
Dr. Novak has been active in the Czechoslovak gov-
ernment from its launching in 1918. He has served
in diplomatic posts in Paris, Warsaw, Budapest and
New York, and for two years just before the German
occupation of Czechoslovakia was Czech envoy in
Venezuela, Panama and Costa Rica.
Dr. Novak spoke to groups of students twice daily
and to an open meeting in Voorhees Chapel sponsored
by the International Relations Club on "The Trend of
MISS HENRY IN THE EAST
Miss Clemmie J. Henry, Director of Student-Help,
left the College on April 12 to be gone approximately
one month representing the College in the East. She
spoke at the Atlantic Highlanders Meeting on April
13, attended the Continental Congress of the D. A. R.
in Washington the week of the 15th, and is to be in
New York, Philadelphia, New England and intervening
places until well along in the month of May. She is
giving special attention to the New Forward Fund and
other interests of the College including the raising of
the additional $23,000 needed to complete the Student
Rotating Loan Fund of $40,000 now being sought. She
has been successful so far in securing gifts to this cause
of more than $17,000.
HERE AND THERE WITH ALUMNI
Lois C. Wilson, '16, daughter of President Emeritus
S. T. Wilson, who has served for many years under
the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions in Syria
as Prineipal of the Sidon Girls' School, is this year on
furlough studying at the Hartford Theological Seminary.
Whether she can return to Syria promptly at the end
of her furlough will depend on the war situation at
Elizabeth Gillis Genet, '34, who with her husband
sailed in January, 1939, for work in the Orinoco River
Mission in Venezuela, has had to return to this country
because of her health. After receiving treatments at
the Mayo Clinic she will be in California.
Catheryn B. Smith, '36, is Executive Secretary of
the College of Business Administration, University of
George C. Kent, Jr., '37, Assistant in the Biology
Department at Vanderbilt University, has had two
papers of note in the Biological field published this
vear. One in the Anatomical Record, of November,
and the other in the February issue of the Journal of
The Washington Academy of Sciences.
Lynn F. Curtis, '39, has received the signal honor
of being awarded a Commonwealth Scholarship for
four years' work at the Vanderbilt University School
The Rev. Paul C. Dickenson, '30, was installed Pastor
of the Concord Church, Centerville, and the Bethel
Church, Key, Ohio, on February 8. Assisting in the
installation service were the Rev. Frank R. Neff, Jr.,
'3 3, and the Rev. W. Russell Gilmore, '31.
Mar> r Cornwell, '33, is teaching Vocation, il Home
Economics in Seven Springs, North Carolina.
The Rev. Dr. Charles N. Magill, '99, a missionary
in the Philippines, is home on furlough this year.
George Greiner, '36, who is attending Vanderbilt
School of Medicine, won the city-wide ice-skating eon-
test in Nashville this winter.
The Rev. and Mrs. Jesse P. Peirec, '30, (Virginia
Amanda Pearson, '30) have moved from Huntington,
West Virginia, to Oshkosh, Wisconsin. Mr. Peirce is
Pastor of the Congregational Church there.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Jensen, "27, have moved to
Winston-Salem, North Carolina. They conduct the
music at the Home Moravian Church.
Annie Mary Donnell, '35, graduated from the Johns
Hopkins Hospital School of Nursing and is now con-
nected with the Instructive Visiting Nurses Association
Helen Elizabeth Woodward, '37, after receiving her
M. A. degree from Vanderbilt University last June, is
attending Library School in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Lowell Eugene Vinsant, '33, received his M.D. dc
gree from the University of Tennessee Medical School,
and is now serving his interneship in the Knoxville
Helen Marie Tulloch, '36, is teaching in the Okla-
homa State Teachers' College.
Samuel Franklin, Jr., '15, is now the Home Office
Staff attorney for the Federal Housing Administration
in Washington, D. C. For many years he was in New
Constance Ruth Johnson, '38, is working with the
T.V.A. in Knoxville.
Gladys Mane Helton, '38, and Jean Elizabeth Camp-
bell, '3 3, are Mrs. J. H. McMurray's assistants in the
College Maid Shop.
M. H Gamble, Jr., '36, received the degree of LL.B.
from the University of Michigan Law School in June,
has been admitted to the Bar, and is now associated
with his brother Joe C. Gamble, "26, and Homer A.
Goddard, 12, in the law firm of Goddard and Gamble,
Robert Benjamin Houston, "23, has been appointed
State High School Inspector for East Tennessee and a
teacher in the State Teachers College, Johnson City.
Cora Mae Houk, '31, is office secretary and dining
room supervisor of the Sheldon Jackson Home, Sitka,
Alaska. She taught in the Dixon Mission, New Mexico
before going to Alaska.
Dr. Emmett Kilpatriek, '15, has been elected Presi-
dent of the Alabama Writers' Conclave for the year
1939-40. He is Head of the French Department at
State Teachers College, Troy, Alabama.
Carrie Lou Goddard, '33, is under contract to the
Methodist Board of Church School Publications, to
write this year's primary department lesson plans. These
plans are published in the Primary Quarterly and in
the Elementary Magazine, and are used by the Methodist
Church in graded Church School work throughout the
The Rev. J. Hayden Laster, "30, was last fall elected
Moderator of the Presbytery of Birmingham and also
Moderator of the Synod of Alabama, and is the chair-
man of the newly organized Maryville College Club
The Rev. Edmund Albert Opitz, '36, was ordained
November 5, 1939, in Beverly, Massachusetts.
Ernest Broyles Lowe, '35, is now in the New York
office of the American Airlines, Inc.
The Rev. F. Burton Toms, '34, has taken up new
work at the Riverside Christian Training School at
Lost Creek, Kentucky. In addition to teaching in the
school he fills several rural pulpits.
Dorothy E. Leaf, '37, is now employed in the
chemical laboratories of the Lankenan Hospital of Phil-
Barbara B. Lyle, '32, who took nurse's training at the
Presbyterian Hospital m Philadelphia, has kept climb-
ing in her profession until during the summer of 1939
she was made Assistant Directress of the Hospital.
Blundon Glenn Ferguson, '32, is now mayor of An-
sted, West Virginia.
The Rev. and Mrs. Paul M. Edris, '32 (Jane Glas-
cock) have accepted a call to the Presbyterian Church
in Daytona Beach, Florida.
Kathleen Cissna, '39, is teaching Second-grade Eng-
lish in a government school in Coamo, Puerto Rico.
The Rev. Malcolm Gwaltney, '34, was installed as
Pastor of the Presbyterian Church, Salem, Illinois, on
November 1, 1939.
The Rev. James Giles Saint, Jr., '36, was installed
as Pastor of the United Church of Chebanse, Illinois,
February 4, 1940. He is also studying for a Ph.D. at
the University of Chicago Divinity School.
The Rev. Robert W. Rayburn, '35, was ordained and
installed as Pastor of the Blackadore Avenue Presby-
terian Church, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on October
Joseph Benjamin Pate, '04, has been made a Colonel
in the U. S. Army and was transferred from Panama
to San Jose, Costa Rica.
Dr. and Mrs. G T. Tootell (Anna Eleanor Kidder,
'11) arrived in San Francisco on October 12, 1939, for
a year's furlough from their missionary labors in Can-
The Rev. Harry Preston Walrond, '34, was installed
as Pastor of the Sharon Presbyterian Church, Coraopo-
lis, Pennsylvania, on October 20, 1939.
The Rev. Howard William Kipp, '34, is studying
this year at the Hartford Theological Seminary.
A. Randolph Shields, '34, has been appointed as fish
technician of the Department of Conservation, State of
Tennessee. He had been doing biological survey work
for the T.V.A. since he obtained his M.S. degree from
the University of Tennessee.
George Franklin Fischbach, '33, who was on leave of
absence last year for study at Peabody College, re-
ceived his M. A. degree in June, and is now back at
Maryville College as a member of the physical educa-
Joseph McDonald Ernest, '37, has been recently ap-
pointed Postmaster at Oliver Springs, Tennessee.
Annie Irrovia Corry, '20, is a technician at St.
James Infirmary, Little Rock, Arkansas.
Mark Lewis Andrews, '37, won the English Bible
Prise of $50.00 at the Chicago Presbyterian Seminary
last year, where he is graduating this spring. He was
recently ordained in his father's church, Harlan, Ken-
The Rev. and Mrs. Charles Whitney Muir, '33,
(Helen Crowder, '32) moved in August to the First
Presbyterian Church, Findlay, Ohio.
Dr. Julian Johnson, '27, received the Doctor of
Science degree in February from the University of
Pennsylvania, for graduate work in surgery.
The Rev. and Mrs. Albert Lee Tull, '29 (Harriett
Ellen Cowan, '28) have resigned the pastorate of the
Cow Creek, Kentucky, Church. Mr. Tull is now Pastor
of the Vernon, North Vernon and Scipio group of
churches in Indiana.
The Rev. Harold Gordon Harold, '27, after a year's
study at Edinburgh, Scotland, has become Pastor of
a church in Newark, New Jersey.
The Rev. Alexander Christie, '36, graduated from
Princeton Theological Seminary last spring. He won
the Fellowship in Church History for a year's study
at New College, Edinburgh, Scotland. He expected to
sail in September but because of the war situation was
unable to do so.
Robert Howard Toms, '35, has taken up new work
with the Weather Bureau at the Chattanooga Airport.
Robert Lowry Brown, '35, who is working toward his
Ph.D. degree in Chemistry at Ohio State University,
represented Maryville College at the Installation of
the new President of Ohio Wesleyan University, Dela-
Miser Russell Richmond, '26, is now Head of the
Biology Department of Tennessee Wesleyan College,
The Rev. Wick Broomall, '25, won third prise ($250)
m a book contest of the American Tract Society, 1939,
with his book "The Holy Spirit."
Dr. George A. Knapp, affectionately known as
"Daddy Knapp," celebrated his eightieth birthday on
March 15 at his home in Maryville.
A TRIP TO PALESTINE
Clifton E. Moore, '33
Last summer with Dr. J. H. Goldner, of Cleveland,
and his son Gerould Goldner, of Akron, I had a three
months' tour in Europe and the Near East. As we
are all clergymen, Palestine was to be our place of
longest stay. We had planned to be in the Holy Land
We had many interesting and helpful experiences. I
shall mention some of them that stand out in my mind.
In climbing the pyramid Cheops west of Cairo, I
became desperately ill half way up that gigantic flight
of stairs. It was a case of sea sickness in the desert.
The three of us had dinner and spent an evening with
Prince Lat-falah who occupies the palace built for the
Queen of France when she came to Egypt to open
officially the Sue; Canal. The plane trip from Cairo
to the airport of Jerusalem was an unforgetable two
hours. There were just the three of us on the large
plane. An audience with Emir Abdualh, King of
Trans- Jordan, a seventy-five mile ride with two British
soldiers on a truck laden with two tons of bombs, a
stoning at the hands of fanatical Arabs at Mt. Nebo, a
"run-in" with a pick-pocket at the tomb of Jesus at
the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the excitement of
a concealed bomb on my floor in the Jerusalem Y.M.
C.A. a visit at Tel-Aviv, Haifa, Bayruth, Baalbec,
Damascus, Athens, Marseilles, Naples, Budapest, and a
week in Hitler-Germany, are never-to-be-forgotten ex-
periences we had.
Because of a badly swollen right ankle, caused by
pesky sand-flies, I was providentially spared the harrow-
ing experience of being kidnapped by Arab bandits.
My friend "Jerry" Goldner was held for more than a
week in the wilderness of Judea. Eventually he was
returned to Jerusalem almost dead with amoebic dysen-
tery. The anguish of that week I still recall with
horror. There is, however, a bright side to it. A
young Christian Arab in charge of the boys' work at
the Y.M. C.A. in Jerusalem took his life in his hands,
and in the very area where Jesus' parable of the Good
Samaritan had its setting, effected the release of Gerould
Goldner. Space does not permit me to narrate the story
in detail. It has all the elements of an unbelievable
The cost and anxiety of that whole trip to me was
well repaid, for in the Holy Land T met the Good
North Springfield Presbyterian Church,
Elsie Redmond Bogle to Edward C. Crow, '30.
Mary Lillian Robison, '28, to Professor Allen Spit-er.
Grace Geneva Johnson, '38, to James M. Rich, '39.
Lillian B. Howard, '31, to Alva Gray Burris, '39.
Kathenne Marguerite Gray, '37, to James Patton Bad-
Marjorie Nelson, '30, to Christopher L. Snyder.
Jane Llovd Hunter, ex-'37, to Robert Colvin Russell,
Juanita Ray Stevens, '37, to Tollton E. Coulter, '37.
Ann, i Mae Justus, '38, to Everett L. Cline, Jr., ex-'41.
Lorraine Evelyn Gentry to Ralph Taylor Dowell, '37.
Ruth Welsh to John Kenneth Tope, '3 3.
Gwendolyn Agnes Vaughan, '37, to G. S. Roberts, Jr.
Ellen Louise Avery, '32, to Clarence Kamp.
Laura Jean Workir.er, '32, to Fred Bailey.
Marjorie Estabrook Gould, '32, to John Welch.
Eunice Grant, '33, to Aloysius Walsh.
Elizabeth Duff Anderson to Walter Eugene Campbell,
Reba Bervelec Bkcer, '38, to Harvey McCall.
Mary Helen Crowder, '28, to J. T. Barrett.
Georgia Ross, to Howard Wilbur Schleman, '30.
Evelyn Lucile Ferguson, '38, to James Clemens Renfro,
* * !&
EASTER SERVICES ON THE CAMPUS
Even a list of Maryville campus observances of Easter
and Holy Week is impressive: (1) Daily Chapel, with
Scripture readings of the events of the last week of
Jesus' life and selection by the Choir; (2) a Good
Friday Chapel service specially arranged with medita-
tions on the Seven Words from the Cross by Dr.
Stevenson, and members of the faculty, and selections
and responses by the Choir; (3) daily noon-day serv-
ices conducted by the Y.M.C.A. and Y.W.CA. and
other groups that overflow the Y.W.CA. room; (4)
an Easter Sunrise Service in the College Amphitheatre
in the "Woods" with over 100 members of the musical
organisations taking part in the music that begins by
the buildings before day light and continues through
the Woods until after the service itself which is con-
ducted by Dr. Stevenson and Dr. Lloyd; (5) the dis-
tribution and use throughout College of a devotional
booklet for the week prepared by the student Y.M.C.A.;
(6) the Easter morning services in the town churches;
(7) the Easter afternoon services by the student associa-
tions; (8) the Easter Vespers under Dr. Stevenson and
The spirit and response in all these matters are ex-
REORGANIZATION OF ACADEMIC
At the Spring Meeting of the Directors of Maryville
College, at the last Commencement, the academic de-
partments were reorganised at several points. The
former eleven "Departments" were rearranged into six
"Divisions" as follows:
(1) Division of Languages and Literature
(2) Division of Bible, Philosophy, and Education
(3) Division of Science
(4) Division of Social Sciences
(5) Division of Fine Arts
(6) Division of Physical Training, Hygiene, and
This did not change materially the offerings or opera-
tion of the program but becomes now the plan of
organisation. The present Chairmen of the six Divi-
sions, in the order of their naming above are:
( 1 ) Dr. Edwin Ray Hunter
(2) Dr. Horace Eugene Orr
(3) Dr. Susan Allen Green
(4) Professor Verton Madison Queener
(">) Miss Katharine Currie Davies
(6) Coach Lombe Scott Honaker
At the same time a fourth faculty rank, that of As-
sistant Professor, was added to those in use at Mary-
ville. During the present year the full-time teaching
faculty members are as follows: Professors, nine; As-
sociate Professors, twelve; Assistant Professors, thirteen;
Instructors, ten; total, forty-four full-time teachers, and
work by part-time teachers equivalent to two more full-
Dr. Mark A. May, '11
Dr. May, Director of the Institute of Human Rela-
tions and professor of Educational Psychology at Yale
University, is this year serving as Chairman of the
American "Council on Education, a position of unusual
distinction. The American Council with offices in
Washington is in effect an association of most of the
important educational organisations and institutions of
the nation. Dr. May has achieved international promin-
ence as an author, teacher, and director in the field of
education. Mrs. May, who was Ruby Patton, is also
a graduate of Maryville College.
DRAMA AT MARYVILLE
"In the nature of things" the public presentations
possible on a college campus are these "big four": ath-
letics, music, drama, forensics. Fortunately at Mary-
ville all four maintain high standards.
For years Maryville College has been noted for its
training in dramatics and expression and production of
plays by students under the direction of Mrs. West
and her assistants. This year is no exception. Excel-
lent productions of "Our Town," "Winterset" and
"Family Portrait" have been given. The Senior Class
play at Commencement time will be "The Dover Road."
The May Day pageant is produced also under the
direction of Mrs. West, who as the senior member of
the Maryville College faculty is rendering her thirty-
sixth year of cheery, wholesome and capable service.
The College offers a major in Dramatic Art in the Di-
vision of Fine Arts.
Dr. Edwin Link Ellis, '00, October 22, 1939.
John William Painter, '17, October 22, 1939.
Mrs. Melvin Williams (Sarah Hasel Bevan, '24),
Dr. Samvil Houston Bright, '01, September 11, 1939.
Rev. Dr. George Henry Lowry, '94, November 4, 1939.
Rev. William Oscar Nagle, '09, August 8, 1939.
Mrs. John Grant Newman (Helen Minnis, '98), Decem-
ber 2 3, 1939.
Mrs. J. H. Duncan (Elisabeth Moore, '25), January 21,
Cora C. Bartlett, '80, March 19, 1940.
Dr. James Elcaney Rogers, '78, December 30, 1938.
RECENT IMPROVEMENTS MADE POSSIBLE
BY MRS. WALKER
Mrs. John Walker, of Morningsidc, continues to do
lovely and useful things on the campus. The most
(1) Building an attractive porch on the "back" of
Memorial Hall which almost transforms the "hack" of
the building into the "front" and greatly improves the
appearance and utility.
(2) Landscaping the area of the campus where the
"old heating plant" stood until torn down last fall.
This is now in progress, delayed by severe weather,
and includes building a road from a point in front of
Carnegie Hall directly to the end of the road that
runs in front of Bartlett Hall, which will allow closing
the former road with its sharp corners between Ander-
son and the old heating plant.
(3) Building a stone pillar on which is placed an
interesting sun dial near the north corner of the
Chapel. The sun dial itself was presented to Mrs.
Walker by Dr. John Brashaer, eminent astronomer of
Pittsburgh, and was installed for many years at Mrs.
Walker's former summer home on Buck Island, Musko-
ka Lakes, Canada.
(4) More planting of shrubbery and flowers on
the campus especially in the area toward and by the
new heating plant, corduroy, and "Walker Gateway."
It will be interesting to alumni to know that the
1940 Chilhowean has been dedicated by the Junior
Class to Mrs. Walker. On April 9 she celebrated the
eighty-eighth anniversary of her birth.
^ % ^
OTHER CAMPUS IMPROVEMENTS
Among the physical improvements made by the Col-
lege in recent months is the painting of the Alumni
Gymnasium. It is now white, to match the other
white buildings on the campus.
The varsity tennis courts have been supplied with
official umpire stands.
The shop building next to the new heating plant,
formerly a privately owned commercial garage, has been
lined and is being put into shape as a "College Shop."
The Maryville stage has a new dress, the gift of the
Maryville Chapter of Theta Alpha Phi, national dra-
matic fraternity. New gray curtains; a HO watt bal-
cony spot, and a large make-up kit have been given by
the society. The curtain was almost a record in local
manufacturing history. At three o'clock one afternoon
it was still in the bolt and the next morning it was
hanging on the stage. The sewing was done in the
College Maid Shop. There are twelve panels tied to
wooden battens, a total of 150 yards. This will great-
ly simplify staging as it can be used as an entire set or
a part of one. Also twelve sections of border lights
have been placed overhead, paid for by College funds,
and they greatly increase the lighting possibilities. They
are in four foot sections and can be operated inde-
Coach Bob Thrower's wrestling team were State
Champions again this year. They won all their meets
but one. (They won one and lost one to Vanderbilt
The basketball team finished second in the Smoky
Mountain Conference. They lost the deciding Con-
ference Championship game to Lincoln Memorial Uni-
The track team lost several veterans from last year's
State Championship squad, and is feeling also the loss
of Coach Thrower's guidance. They have lost two
meets so far, to Davidson and the University of Ten-
nessee, and have won from Lincoln Memorial Universi-
ty. Other meets in their schedule are with the Univer-
sity of Chattanooga, the Conference Meet at Johnson
City and the State Meet at Knoxville on May 11.
The tennis team, under the direction of Coach George
F. Fischbach, is having an especially good season. They
have won all their matches so far. They have met
Carson-Newman, Milligan, University of Tennessee,
and East Tennessee Teachers. Other matches in their
schedule will be with Tennessee Polytechnic Institute,
University of Chattanooga, Tennessee Wesleyan, Tus-
culum. and Union College.
Coach Honaker's baseball team is off to a good start.
They lost one game to University of Tennessee and
tied with Ohio University, but have won all other
games played so far. Following is the baseball schedule:
March 29 — Franklin College Here
April 3 — Earlham Here
April 6 — Ohio University Here
April 8 — Hiwassee - There
April 1 5 — Hiwassee Here
April 16 — Univ. of Tenn _ There
April 19 — Carson-Newman There
April 23 — E. Tenn. Teachers ...._ Here
April 27 — Carson-Newman Here
April 29 — Tusculum There
April 30 — Carson-Newman _ Here
May 2 — Lincoln Memorial Here
May 3 — Lincoln Memorial Here
May 8 — Carson -Newman There
May 9 — Univ. of Tenn Here
May 10 — E. Tenn. Teachers There
May 1 3 — Milligan _ Here
May 16 — Lincoln Memorial There
May 17 — Lincoln Memorial There
May 21 — Tusculum Here
THE CHAPEL AFTER A FOURTEEN INCH SNOWFALL
The Winter of 1940 Broke All Cold Weather Records in Tennessee
THE FEBRUARY MEETINGS OF 1940
Rev. Dr. Louis H. Evans, Pastor of the Third Presby-
terian Church, Pittsburgh, and leader of the Meetings
of 1936, was for the second time one of the most
popular and effective preachers in the long history of
the February Meetings. Attendance records for the
evening services were broken, with the Chapel crowded
each night, as of course it always is each morning.
There was a profound spiritual movement through the
student body and hundreds of decisions were made.
For the eighteenth time Rev. S. E. Stringham was a
most acceptable song leader and co-worker.
President Lloyd told of the Meetings at a meeting of
the Commission on Evangelism of the Presbyterian
Church in the U.S.A. at Chicago on February 23. At
the request of the Commission he has written a pamph-
let concerning Maryville's plan which is to be printed
by the Commission for distribution.
The first concert of the 1939-40 Artists' Series was
given by Metropolitan Opera's famed basso, Alexander
Kipnis. He completely enthralled his audience by his
magnificent voice and artistry.
The two other concerts announced had to be changed
but the artists who came achieved great triumphs in their
appearances. Because of the war situation in Europe Carin
Cirlsson and Myra Hess were unable to come to this
country for their concert tours. Georgia Graves, young
American contralto, was substituted for Miss Carlsson
and appeared in joint recital with Zinka Milanov, one
of the Metropolitan's leading sopranos.
Rosalyn Tureck, young American pianist, was sub-
stituted for Myra Hess. She gave a brilliant per-
formance which justified her reputation as one of
America's most promising young pianists.