(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Alumni Magazine, October 1941"

ALUMNI 
MAGAZINE 




ANDERSON HALL 



MARYVILLE COLLEGE 

OCTOBER, 1941 



HOMECOMING 

Homecoming Day is Saturday, November 1 

1. Colored Moving Pictures in Bartlett Hall at 5:00 p. m. 

2. Barbecue and campfire on the baseball field at 5:45 p. m. 

3. Football game at 8:00 p. m. — MaryviUe vs. Carson-Newman. 

The Executive Committee has elected the following people to serve on the 
committees to plan and prepare for Homecoming: 

1. The Food Committee: Earl Blazer, F. A. Gntfitts, Mrs. J. W. King. 

2. The Entertainment Committee: Toe C. Gamble, Mrs. J. C. Gamble, Donnell 

W. McArthur, Charles F. Webb. 

3. The Decoration Committee: Hugh R. Crawford, Jr., David H. Briggs, L, 

Scott Honaker, Jr. 
When Maryville and Carson-Newman play football, words are superfluous. 
Tickets to the game, if bought at the barbecue, will be sold to alumni at half price 
which is 5 5c this year, including the special tax. All former athletes of Maryville 
College wearing their block letter "M" will be given free tickets to the game — at 
the barbecue. You will help those in charge of the program by sitting in the sec- 
tion of the bleachers reserved for alumni. 

Sunday, November 2, at 2:00 p. m. — Dedication of a plaque marking the loca- 
tion, near KnoxviUe, where Isaac Anderson established Union Academy in 1802. 

••••^^S)(ii)@^"- 

OFFICERS OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION 

1941-1942 

President - J. Edward Kidder, '16 

Vice-President _ Dorothy Louise Wells, "41 

Recording Secretary _ Winifred L. Painter, T5 

E.\ecutive Secretary James R. Smith, '35 



EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE 

Class of 1942: Earle W. Crawford, '35; M. H. G.imble, '36; Mrs. Bernice Lowry 

Park, '16. 
Class of 1943: Rachel M. Edds, '27; Donnell W. McArthur, '37; Charles F. 

Webb, '27. 
Class of 1944: James P. Badgett, '36; C. Louise Carson, '30; Nina C. Gamble, '35 









Publ 


MARYVILLE COLLEGE BULLETIN 
shed by Maryville College, Maryville, Tennessee 
Ralph Waldo Lloyd, President 










Vol 


XL 








October, 1941 










No. 


7 


Published 
as second-class 
Section 1 103. 


quar 
mai 
Act 


terly by Maryville College. Entered May 24, 

matter. Acceptance for mailing at special 
of October 3, 19' 7, authorized February 10, 


1904, 
rate of 
1919. 


at Maryville, 
postage prov 


Ter 
ded 


nessee, 
for in 




J. EDWARD KIDDER 




DOROTHY LOUISE WELLS 




WINIFRED L. PAINTER 




THE ALUMNI PRESIDENT'S 
MESSAGE 

To come back and breathe the atmosphere of the old campus after an 
absence of a quarter of a century is an inspiring experience. Amid scenes — 
and not a few faces — that continually speak of by gone days and tend to put 
one in reminiscent mood, one sees many evidences of progress. A more 
beautifully landscaped and better kept campus, artistic entrances, well-paved 
roads, better athletic fields, relocated heating plant, an enlarged and tastefully 
decorated dining roo.m, a chapel organ — these are only a few of the external 
improvements which greet the eye. 

Through ear and eye one soon discovers, moreover, a new emphasis on 
music and the fine arts, as revealed in the excellent performances of the choir, 
orchestra, band, and glee clubs, and equally worthy productions in the fields 
of art and drama. Less evident, but even more important, are the high stand- 
ards of scholarship which are being constantly upheld by a hard working 
faculty and a hard-worked student body. All agree that a degree from 
MaryviUe College is well earned. 

Years ago a friend said to me, "Many parents send their children back to 
their own college thinking that it is the same institution which they themselves 
attended. Don't make that mistake." Not knowing Maryville, he was speak- 
ing generally, but his statement was worth considering. During these years 
when great changes have been taking place in society and in the philosophy of 
education, not always for the better, one could not but wonder if the same 
moral and spiritual ideals were being held up to this generation as were held 
up to us. My observations during the past seven months have completely re- 
assured me, and I shall continue to say to my friends, as I have often done, 
"Maryville is a good college." 

It seems to me, however, that one of her chief needs now is for additional 
physical equipment. In the past the Alumni Association has assisted in pro- 
viding the Alumni Gymnasium and the enlargement of Pearsons Dining Hall. 
Is it not time that we, as an Association, come forward to assist in some of the 
building projects which the College has in view? 

The day of big fortunes is largely past. What philanthropy is done in 
the future will be in moderate sums by people of moderate means, but 
generous hearts. Although Maryville alumni are seldom found in the higher 
economic brackets, yet I beheve they yield to no one in the field of gratitude 
and devotion. May I suggest that your appreciation and loyalty show itself 
in the following ways: 

1. Attend Homecoming, November 1, and Alumni Day in May. 

2. Send us news of yourself and fellow alumni. 

3. Remit your $2 dues to the Secretary NOW. 

4. Keep the Secretary informed of any change of address. 

5. Send us your ideas as to how the Association can be of service. 

With a vigorous, paid-up membership of 2500, what couldn't we do! 
Let's hear from you. 

Yours for the Old College, 

J. Edward Kidder, '16* 



■Mr. Kidder received the B.A. degree from Maryville College in 1916, the degree of 
S.T.B. from Western Theological Seminary in 1919, and that of M.A. from the Uni- 
versity of Pittsburgh in 1926 when on one of his furloughs from China, where he 
has been a missionary since 1920. During the present year he is on furlough again 
and he and his family are living in Maryville where two sons are enrolled In college, 
one a senior and the other a junior. 



THREE 



JAMES R. SMITH 



THE CLOSING AND OPENING OF YEARS 

There are three kinds of years at Maryville College: 
(1) the "eollege" year from enrolment in the fall to 
Commeneemcnt in the spring; (2) the "fiseal" year, 
from July 1 to June ?0; (3) and, of eourse, the 
"calendar" year from January 1 to December 31. 

The "college" year of 1940-1941 closed with the 
Commencement Exercises on June 4. The College 
awarded the Bachelor's degree to 133 seniors. The 
honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity was conferred 
upon the Reverend Frank Moore Cross, of the Class of 
1916, Pastor of the Ensley Highland Presbyterian 
Church, Birmingham, Alabama; and the honorary de- 
gree of Doctor of Laws upon Charles Ross Endsley, 
Superintendent of the Tennessee Military Institute, 
Sweetwater, Tennessee. Fifty-year certificates were 
awarded to the six surviving members of the Class of 
1891. The address to the graduating class was given 
by Rev. Dr. Gould Wickey, of Washington, D. C, 
General Secretary of the National Conference of 
Church-Related Colleges. 

The "fiscal" year of 1940-1941 closed on June 30 
with an operating deficit of $4,186, due to rising costs, 
but with all current bills paid and, fortunately, with 
sufficient accumulated surplus to absorb the deficit. 
However, it means starting the new fiscal year at a 
disadvantage. 

The "college" year of 1941-1942 opened on Septem- 
ber 2. According to the new college schedule an- 
nounced last spring and in effect for the first time this 
year, the first semester will close December 18, the 
second semester will open January 7 and close with Com- 
mencement at the early date of May 18. 

The dormitories and dining hall are full, but there 
are fewer students from the local community and some 
fewer boys also from other places, making the total en- 
rolment of the College sixty-one under that of a year 
ago. The reasons are familiar to all — the draft, at- 
tractive jobs for both men and women, a trend toward 
the technical training emphasized by the national de- 
fense program, uncertainty as to the demands which 
war is to make upon young men. 

The college chapel appears to be as full as ever, but 
actually it is not so. This will probably help the ac- 
ademic efficiency by reducing the "capacity crowd." 
But it will create a definite budget hardship since it 
represents a decrease of some $7,000 in tuition income 
without any possibility of reducing instructional or 
operating expenses. In fact operating costs are mount- 
ing each week. 

The spirit evident on the campus is earnest and 
courageous. The College looks forward to a good year 
of work, to a difficult year in balancing the budget, but 
to a successful year in growth of the New Forward 
Fund. 



THE CHANGING COMMUNITY 

When Maryville v.'as a quiet little village of fifty 
houses and two hundred and fifty people, Isaac Ander- 
son, Founder and first President of Maryville College, 
wished to move his institution to the country away 
from what he called "the noise and confusion of the 
town." After his death that dream was realized in 



the removal to the present campus, but he would be 
startled at the changes which have come over the 
years. 

The writer of these lines remembers that in his stu- 
dent days, three-quarters of a century after Dr. An- 
derson expressed his concern, Mary\'ille was a county 
seat town of about 3,000 people, without water works 
or paved streets, and accessible only by a limited 
number of trains running daily from Knoxville. Then 
came the Aluminum Company plants two miles from 
the campus; then the modern automobile cavalcade 
with its roads; then the Smoky Mountains National 
Park, entered twenty miles away by a main highway 
that runs by the campus, with its visitors; then the 
extensive house building plans of the nineteen hundred 
and thirties; finally the industrial expansion for the 
National Emergency and National Defense. This year 
over one million visitors have entered the Smoky Moun- 
tains National Park, breaking all American National 
Park records. The airport traffic has increased within 
the past three or four years, from two transport planes 
a day in two directions to thirty-six transport planes 
a day in seven directions. This year the Aluminum 
Company plants are being so increased that the number 
of workers has grown already from about 6,000 to 
10,000 and is still growing. This year it is estimated 
that the population in the twin cities of Maryville and 
Alcoa and their general environs has probabh' reached 
20,000. 

The immediate effects of all this on the College are 
not great. But the College will have to reckon with 
the ultimate effects, both bad and good. The vast de- 
velopment of water and electrical power throughout the 
Tennessee Valley will doubtless bring marked social 
changes to the whole region within the coming years. 



^ ^ ^ 



THE 1941 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE 

Sept. 20 — Hiwassee (Home) (won 32-6) 
Sept. 27— Union (Home) (won 47-0) 
Oct. 4 — Transylvania (Home) (won 16-6) 
Oct 11— King (Away) (lost 7-28) 
October 18 — Open 

Oct. 25 — Emory and Henry (Away) (won 20-13) 
Nov. 1 — Carson-Newman (Homecoming) 
Nov. 8 — East Tennessee Teachers (Away) 
Nov. 1 5 — Tusculum (Away) 

Nov. 22 — Western North Carolina Teachers (Home) 
(All home games, except the last one, are at night) 



MARYVILLE APPROVED BY A. A. U. W. 

On May 5 and subsequent dates President Lloyd was 
notified that the American Association of University 
Women, at its biennial meeting in Cincinnati, had ap- 
proved Mar^'ville College for corporate membership in 
the Association and a place on "List I." This action 
was taken upon recommendation of the Committee on 
Membership and Maintaining Standards after the filing 
of an application and an extensive report by the College, 
and after an examination of the College by a representa- 
tive of the Committee. Maryville has been on the 
Association's "List III" for a number of years but had 
not until 1941 made application for the full approval 
which has now been granted. 



FOUR 



The A. A. U. W. has two kinds of individual mem- 
bership, National and Associate. They are described by 
the Association as follows: 

"I. National Membership. 1. Women with approved 
degrees from colleges and universities which have 
been approved by the Association are eligible to national 
membership, either through a branch or as general 
members, maintaining relations individually with the 
national Association. It should be noted that not all 
degrees conferred by approved institutions are recog- 
nized. 

"2. Women holding higher degrees from American 
universities which do not grant the baccalaureate degree 
to women, but which have been recommended by the 
Committee on Membership and Maintaining Standards 
and approved by a three-fourths vote of the delegates 
present at a convention, are eligible to national mem- 
bership. 

"II. Associate Membership. 1 . Women with approved 
degrees from institutions which have partially fulfilled 
the requirements of the Association and have been 
placed on the associate list by the Committee on Mem- 
bership and Maintaining Standards (List III in list of 
colleges and universities approved by the American As- 
sociation of University Women) are eligible to associate 
membership in branches having that type of member- 
ship. 

"2. Women, not registered in any institution as un- 
dergraduates, who have completed two full years of 
academic work in any college or university on the 
approved list of the national Association (List I) shall 
be eligible to associate membership. 

"No women who is eligible to national membership 
may hold associate membership." 

Prior to May 1941, Maryville College graduates were 
eligible for associate membership only, since the College 
was on List III. Now women graduates of Maryville 
College are eligible for full active national membership 
and women not now in college who have completed 
two years at Maryville College are now eligible for 
associate membership. Both of Maryville's degrees 
(B.A. and B.S. in H.E) are approved. These provisions 
are retroactive, applying to women graduates of all past 
years. 

The American Association of University Women in- 
cludes among its purposes "the maintenance of high 
standards of education and the furtherance of the in- 
terests of women in education." The Association does 
not give approval to an institution unless satisfied that 
that institution meets certain specified requirements 
which grow out of the Association's objectives. The 
Association states, "These objectives involve not merely 
insistence on academic requirements and on the requisite 
program for advanced scholarship, such as adequately 
trained faculties and indispensable material equipment, 
but also emphasis on the proper provisions for the 
housing, health, and other social needs of women stu- 
dents, and on a due recognition of women in the 
student bodies, the faculties, the administration and 
the governing boards of colleges and universities ad- 
mitting women." One basic requirement for approval 
is that the institution be on the approved list of the 
Association of American Universities. 



The American Association of University Women is 
one of the strong organizations in the field of higher 
education in the nation. It has a varied program and 
has branches in all leading centers throughout the 
country. The headquarters offices are in Washington, 
D. C. Women who hold degrees from Maryville Col- 
lege are now eligible for membership in these various 
branches and are eligible for general membership if 
there arc no branches in the communities where they 
live. It is suggested that Maryville alumnae make in- 
quiry of officers of branches in their communities. The 
Alumni Office at the College will be glad to secure in- 
formation for any who desire it. For many years some 
Maryville College alumnae have been associate mem- 
bers of A. A. U. W. ; some who have learned of the 
present opportunity have already become national mem- 
bers; doubtless many others will now wish to apply for 
such membership. 



FIFTY-YEAR CERTIFICATES 

For the first time at the Commencement of 1941 the 
College presented Fifty- Year Certificates to members of 
the class celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of gradua- 
tion. That class this year was, of course, the class of 
1891, in which there were fourteen graduates. Only 
six were still living in June 1941. Of these, two were 
present at the Commencement exercises: Miss Mary E. 
("Miss Molly") Caldwell, of Maryville, who retired in 
1936 from the staff of the College after service of 
thirty-six years; and the Rev. Samuel A. Caldwell, of 
Cincinnati, recently retired after a ministry of a half 
century in the Middle West and West. The four mem- 
bers of the class who could not be present were: Mrs. 
Flora Henry Hamilton, Tacoma, Washington; Rev. 
Robert B. Irwin, Decatur, Illinois; Rev. Charles C. 
McGinley, Independence, Missouri; and Rev. J. Newton 
McGinley, Neoga, Illinois. 

The two present were called forward and presented 
with certificates, which in fact wei'e not real certificates 
since these had not yet been printed. The certificate 
which has been drawn up and is to be sent to them 
contains the following wording, arranged in appropriate 
form: 

THE DIRECTORS. PRESIDENT, AND FACULTY OF 
MARYVILLE COLLEGE To the Friends of Learning every- 
where. Greeting: Be it known that MARY ELLEN CALD- 
WELL having been granted the Bachelor's Degree by Mary- 
ville College in the year Eighteen Hundred and Ninety-One 
is this day awarded this certificate in recognition and honor of 
THE FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY OF GRADUATION. In 
Witness Whereof, this certificate is granted and the Seal of 
the College and the signatures of the President of the Col- 
lege and the Secretary of the Faculty are hereunto affixed. 
Given at Maryville in the State of Tennessee this fourth day 
of June in the year of our Lord the nineteen hundred and 
forty-first and of the College the one hundred and twenty- 
second. 

As soon as sufficient certificates are ready and proper- 
ly inscribed one will be sent also to each living graduate 
of more than fifty years. It is planned to make a public 
presentation of the certificate each year to members of 
the fifty-year class of that year. 



FIVE 



DR. DAVIS— TWENTY-FIVE YEARS 

Dr. E. W. Davis, Professor of Greek and Latin and Secretary or 
the Faculty, completed twenty-five years on the faculty at the last Com- 
mencement. His colleagues of the faculty gave special recognition to 
this anniversary at the meeting of the Faculty Cluh on October 6. 
President Lloyd read an appropriate statement and presented twenty-five 
roses to Dr. and Mrs. Davis. 

Dr. Davis has been at Maryville College since the fall of 1915 with 
the exception of the one year of 1919-1920. For the past ten years he 
has been Secretary of the Faculty as well as a professor. He has been a 
teacher thirty-eight years, most of these in the field of Greek and Latin, 
and twenty-five of them at Maryville College. 

Dr. Davis was reared in Illinois, has taken degrees at Missouri 
Valley College and Harvard University, and received the honorary 
degree of Doctor of Letters from Maryville College in 1937. 

There are now nine members of the faculty and staff who have 
served twenty-five or more years at Maryville College. 



IMPROVEMENTS ABOUT THE CAMPUS 

Elsewhere in this issue there is a report concerning 
the paving of roads, the additions to the dairy, and 
the Anna Belle Smith Studio House. In the following 
sentences mention is made of other recent improvements 
and additions. There is no effort to catalog all things 
which might fall under this head, but some of them are: 

(1) Valuable additions and improvements to the radio 
broadcasting equipment and arrangements. 

(2) Extensive remodeling in the Anderson Hall An- 
nex to provide a Treasurer's office of larger size; relocat- 
ing the "printing" offices; converting the former 
Treasurer's office into offices for the Dean of Curriculum 
and the Public Relations and Alumni Secretary; and 
some other office changes. (This work is not yet com- 
pleted.) 

(3) Classroom remodeling, continuing a program in 
progress for a number of years. 

(4) Repainting of approximately 
rooms, the hospital, etc. 

(5) Purchase of "The Chatterbox" 
to the campus (between Baldwin and 
to serve as quarters for a combined 
store. 

(6) Addition of a two-manual Estey Practice Organ 
($450) to the music equipment. For practice purposes 
this will supplement the Wicks Organ in the Chapel, 
and will make it possible to take a larger number of 
organ students than heretofore. 

(7) A new multigraph made necessary by the final 
collapse of the one which had been in use for the past 
quarter of a century. 

(8) New draperies, furniture, and decorating in the 
parlors of Baldwin Hall. 

(9) Removal of the shop machinery from the base- 
ment of Thaw Hall to the shop building beside the 
new Heating Plant, releasing valuable space for library 
or other academic use. 

(10) Leasing to the City the College's 50,000-gallon 
water tank located behind the President's House, once 
part of the College's private water system but unused 
for about twenty years. Its color has been changed 
from black to silver, a new pipe line has been laid to 
it, and when the City has completed its work there 
should be improved water pressure both on the campus 
and in the high ground areas of the City near the 
campus. 




DR. DAVIS 



127 dormitory 

and its removal 
Pearsons Hidls) 
YWCA-YMCA 



THE ROADS ARE PAVED! 

For 108 years the College had no paved roads, so 
far as the record shows. For a half century prior to 
1870 the campus was at the corner of Main and College 
Streets where the New Providence Presbyterian Church 
now stands and there was no paving in the town. From 
1870 to 1927 there was no paved road (although there 
were board, brick, and concrete walks on the new 
campus); in 1927 an excellent piece of concrete pave- 
ment (part of which unfortunately must now be 
closed in the new campus road plan) was laid from the 
Court Street entrance to the Book Store; in 1934 Dr. 
W. P. Stevenson and Mrs. John Walker laid an asphalt 
pavement from Bartlett Hall to The-House-in-the-Woods 
(Dr. Stevenson's home) and Morningside (Mrs. Walk- 
er's home) in the Woods; in 1935 a new road plan for 
the central campus was worked out; in the summer of 
1940 about half of the unpaved portions were paved; 
and now in 1941 the remaining portions, including the 
Corduroy, have been paved. Certain sections of the 
former roads are being closed. The cost of the paving 
done during these past two summers has been between 
$8,000 and"$9,000. Part of the receipts from the New 
Forward Fund have been allocated to this purpose. 

These roads with the three Gateways, the Steps be- 
low Carnegie, the rock walls and smaller steps at other 
points, new fences, and paved walks added from time 
to time, have done much to transform the campus dur- 
ing the past few years. 

Yet it was soon discovered that blessings are not 
without accompanying problems. The good campus 
roads and the rough city streets nearby caused many 
motorists to travel through the campus. But the erect- 
ing of "stop" signs at several places and the polite 
stopping of cars at each entrance and explaining of the 
campus traffic problem and regulations for a few days 
have done much to reduce the traffic, and all college 
folk are happy in prospect of the campus' first winter 
on pavement. 



SIX 



NEW BOOK BY DR. SHINE 

Dr. Hill Shine, Associate Professor of English at 
Maryville College, and a recognized authority on the 
life and work of Thomas Carlyle, has just had a new 
book published by The Johns Hopkins Press of Balti- 
more. The volume bears also the names "London: 
Humphrey Milford" and "Oxford University Press." 

The title of the book is "Carlyle and the Saint' 
Simonians" and the subtitle "The Concept of Historical 
Periodicity." There are 191 well-written and well- 
documented pages. The book is the result of Dr. 
Shine's long and thorough study of the writings by 
and about Carlyle and his mature research. The Saint- 
Simonians were a group of social and religious thinkers 
in France about ISl*? and the years immediately fol- 
lowing. Their writings came to Carlyle's notice in 1830. 
Dr. Shine has an earlier book on Carlyle entitled 
"Carlyle's Fusion of Poetry, History, and Religion," 
published in 1938 by the University of North Carolina 
Press. The use of microiilm secured from Paris for 
the Maryville College Library and microfilm in other 
libraries has been an interesting and important factor 
in Dr. Shine's study. 

The following sentences from Dr. Shine's Foreword 
will give some introduction to the book: "In summariz- 
ing those studies, one feels that the whole problem of 
Carlyle's relation with the Saint-Simonians needs re- 
examination. No detailed or definitive study of all the 
aspects of the problem or even of all the primary 
material exists. . . Our present study, though adequate 
in primary material is, alas, incomplete in the other 
respect. That is, leaving the social aspect of the re- 
lation for later treatment, the present study deals with 
Carlyle's indebtedness to the Saint-Simonians for his 
mature concept of historical periodicity. As it proceeds, 
it will, nevertheless, show how his mature social view- 
point is undergirded and made intelligible by the theory 
of historical periodicity. By thus tracing Carlyle's 
most fundamental relation with the Saint-Simonian 
Society, this study (it is hoped) will throw some new 
light on the entry of a too-little-known element in 
Nineteenth Century English thought." 



MRS. BARKER'S BOOK 

"Yesterday Today" is the title of a delightful book of 
263 pages just pubHshed by The Caxton Printers, Ltd. 
It has special interest for Maryville College folk because 
its author is Catherine Sweazey Barker, wife of Lincoln 
Barker who came this year to the Maryville College 
faculty as Associate Professor of Psychology and Edu- 
cation. "Yesterday Today" is a book about the Ozark 
mountain country and the people who live there. It 
is based on information gathered by Mrs. Barker over 
a period of years when Mr. Barker was in college work 
and she was active in social service work in the Ozark 
region. The book was written later while Mr. and Mrs. 
Barker were living in Salt Lake City, where Mr. Barker 
was Dean of Westminster College and she was active 
as a writer and speaker in the life of church and other 
organizations. Other writings of hers have been pub- 
lished by magazines. 



NE"W BOOK BY JOHN W. RITCHIE, '98 

"Biology and Human Aifairs" is the title of a book 
of 1026 pages written by John W. Ritchie, of the Class 
of 1898, and published in 1941 by the World Book 
Company. The book is planned as a textbook especial- 
ly for secondary school students. It is divided into 
twenty-two units covering the whole field of biology. 
There is a wealth of illustrative material, pictures being 
on a large proportion of the more than one thousand 
pages. A copy of the book has been presented to the 
Maryville College Library by Dr. Ritchie. 

Dr. Ritchie has long been eminent as an author in 
this field. For many years he has also been one of the 
editors of the World Book Company. In recognition 
of his work as a teacher, author, and editor, Maryville 
in 1936 conferred upon him the honorary degree of 
Doctor of Humane Letters. Dr. Ritchie graduated from 
Maryville College in 1898 and was the first full-time 
teacher of biology in the College, serving on the college 
faculty from 1899 to 1901. His name has been one 
known to all Maryville students since his years at the 
College because he is the author of the words of the 
Alma Mater, written in 1899, and also of the newest 
college song, "Firm, Firm, She Stands," written after 
his visit to the College in 1936. 



BOOK BY CLAIRE McMURRAY HOWARD, '21 

Mrs. E. D. Howard (Claire McMurray, '21), daugh- 
ter of the late Professor James H. McMurray and Mrs. 
McMurray, Manager of the College Maid Shop, at 
Maryville College, has attained considerable renown 
by her writing. For some years she has written a 
daily column in the Cleveland Plain Dealer (Ohio), 
based partly on human interest stories that gather 
around her own children and home. Sometime ago a 
compilation of the material was published in a book 
with the quaint title " — and Beat Him WTien He 
Sneezes," which soon became a current best seller. 
More recently the radio rights to the book have been 
purchased by the Vick Company, who are now sponsor- 
ing a regular broadcast of sketches from it. The 
broadcast at present may be heard each Sunday over 
one of the NBC chains at 4:30 p.m. (Central Time). 
A five-thousand-dollar prize contest conducted by the 
Vick Company to find a title for the program has just 
been closed and the judges' decision has not yet been 
announced. 



ALUMNI AT PRESBYTERIAN GENERAL 
ASSEMBLY 

The Maryville College Breakfast at the Presbyterian 
General Assembly, St. Louis, on May 24, 1941, was 
the most largely attended in the history of this event, 
there being more than eighty persons present, most of 
them alumni. Five of them were from the College 
itself: President and Mrs. Lloyd, Treasurer Proffitt, 
Dean Hunter, and Director of Maintenance Black. Mr.' 
Black was a Commissioner to the Assembly. Plans were 
laid for the organization of a Maryville College club 
for the St. Louis — Missouri — Southern Illinois region. 



SEVEN 



BENEFIT LUNCHEON AND APRON SALE 

On Saturday, November 29, there will he held a 
benefit luncheon and apron sale in Pearsons Dining 
Hall. It IS the first occasion of this kind held at 
MaryviUe. Its sponsors are Mrs. Ralph Waldo Lloyd, 
wife of the President of the College, and a committee 
of alumnae and other women in the Maryville com- 
munity. Its purpose is to raise money for a "Women's 
Dormitory Improvement Fund" from (1) any diiferencc 
which may remain between the price charged and the 
expenses for the luncheon, and (2) the proceeds from 
the sale of aprons to those present and any others 
interested. The aprons will be donated by women who 
are friends, former students, and graduates. The price 
of the luncheon will be seventy-five cents. 

It is expected that this will be a notable social occa- 
sion as well as a means of considerable financial bene- 
fit to the College. If the interest and response are 
large enough the event may become an annual one. 

Every woman who sees or hears of this announce- 
ment is invited to make reservation and attend the 
luncheon and to bring or send one or more aprons. 
Any one who cannot attend and wishes to send a gift 
in money in lieu of the luncheon price and aprons may 
do so. Also those who cannot attend may purchase 
aprons. Reservations, aprons, and gifts should be 
sent to "Benefit Luncheon Committee, Alumni Office, 
Maryville College, Maryville, Tennessee." 
* * * 

FOUNDERS' DAY— 1941 

The College catalog states that November 1 is 
"Founders' and Homecoming Day." Page two of this 
Alumni Magazine says "Homecoming Day" only. The 
reason is that the "Founders' Day" exercises to be held 
this fall will be in an unusual form. 

On Sunday, November 2, at 2:00 p.m., in the country 
about twenty-five miles north of Maryville, a service of 
dedication will be held at the place where Isaac Ander- 
son established in 1802 and conducted until 1812 Union 
Academy, which may be considered the predecessor of 
Maryville College which he founded in 1819. The 
place is on Murphy Road about seven miles north of 
downtown Knoxville and may be reached by going out 
of Knoxville by Broadway on the old Ta:ewell Pike 
past the Shannondale Presbyterian Church a mile or 
two and turning right on Murphy Road. Or it may 
be reached by going out of Knoxville on Washington 
Pike and turning left on Murphy Road, which is a 
short road connecting old Ta:;ewell and Washington 
Pikes. 

Isaac Anderson came from Virginia to that location 
in 1801, acquired this land as his farm and lived there 
until he removed to Maryville in 1812. He willed his 
farm of at least 215 acres to his granddaughter Rebec- 
ca Anderson who sold it in 1859 to Samuel K. Harris, 
whose daughters are members of the Simon Harris 
Chapter of the D. A. R. which is cooperating in this 
dedication. In recent years the land has been divided 
and sold to different persons. The present owner of 
the land on which the marker is being placed is Mr. 
I. Wayne Longmire of Knoxville. The present owner 
and occupant of the land on which the Union Academy 
stood is Mrs. M. C. Holmes. Isaac Anderson was pastor 



of the Washington Presbyterian Church a few miles 
beyond his farm from 1802 to 1812; in 1802 he built a 
large log school building on his farm and conducted 
Union Academy there until 1812; in Maryville he con- 
tinued his academy work until 1819 when he founded 
the institution which became Maryville College. He 
conducted a school steadily from 1802 until near his 
death in 1857. Thus Maryville College may he said to 
have started actually in Union Academy whose lo- 
cation is to be marked on November 2. 

The principal speaker at the dedication services, 
November 2, will be Mrs. William H. Pouch of New 
York City, President General of the National Society 
of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Other 
participants in the program will be officers of the 
Simon Harris Chapter of the D. A. R. (Knoxville), 
President Lloyd of the College, Judge S. O. Houston, 
Chairman of the Directors of the College, and a num- 
ber of college students. 

A six-ton marble boulder from a nearby marble 
quarry is being placed near the road on the ground 
where the Isaac Anderson home is said to have stood. 
The location of the school building was about seven 
hundred feet west of this spot and from the present 
road. A tablet will be attached to the stone bearing 
the following inscription: 

ONE-EIGHTH OF A MILE WEST OF THIS SPOT 

THERE STOOD THE BUILDING OF UNION ACADEMY, 

GENERALLY CALLED "MR. ANDERSON'S LOG COLLEGE," 

WHICH WAS CONDUCTED FROM 1802 TO 1812 

BY REV. ISAAC ANDERSON, FOUNDER 
AND FIRST PRESIDENT OF MARYVILLE COLLEGE 

OF WHICH UNION ACADEMY WAS THE PREDECESSOR 



THIS TABLET IS ERECTED UNDER AUSPICES OF 

THE SIMON HARRIS CHAPTER 

OF THE 

DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION 

BY MARYVILLE COLLEGE 

THIS 2ND DAY OF NOVEMBER, 1941 

COLLEGE RADIO PROGRAMS 

Since last February Maryville College has been broad- 
casting regular programs from its remote control studios 
in Voorhees Chapel. 

At present there is one broadcast a week. It is called 
"Maryville College Radio Vespers," and is on the air 
each Sunday afternoon from 4:00 to 4:30 o'clock over 
station WROL of Knoxville (620 on the dial). There 
is a possibility that the hour or the station or both 
might be changed, but it is certain that the broadcast 
will continue to be on the air in the latter part of each 
Sunday afternoon. All alumni who can hear the Knox- 
ville stations are invited to listen in and to watch for 
any changes. This broadcast includes a service by 
President Lloyd and the college choir under the di- 
rection of Associate Professor Colbert. 

A week-night broadcast may be resumed later. If so, 
It is hoped that all interested persons may discover it. 
Two of the three football games thus far played at 
home have been broadcast by WROL. The Home- 
coming game with Carson -Newman on Saturday night, 
November 1, will probably be carried by WROL. 



EIGHT 



CLASSES DUE FOR REUNION IN 1942 

Classes of '89, '90, 91, '92 (50-year class). 
Classes of '08, '09, '10, '11. 
Class of '17 (25'year class). 
Classes of '27, '28, '29, '30. 

* * * 

ALUMNI DUES 

The Alumni are to be congratulated on reaching 
again this past year the all time high record of a year 
ago in the payment of dues. Yet when we find that 
still less than one sixth of the membership is paying 
dues, we realise the possibilities of a real record year 
ahead. 

Last year the expense of the Association was slightly 
less than its receipts, but with increased costs every 
where there must be greater interest in payment of dues 
and care in expenditures. 

* * * 

CHANGES IN THE FACULTY AND STAFF 

Six former members of the faculty and staff did not 
return to the College for the present year. They are: 
(1) Associate Professor Newell T. Preston (psychology 
and education), who is now Director of the Psychology 
Workshop, New York City; (2) Assistant Professor 
Robert L. Smith (Spanish), who is now engaged in 
aviation; (3) Mrs. James W. King, Instructor in Home 
Economics, whose home duties would not permit her 
to undertake the expanded program necessitated by the 
increasing registration in that field; (4) Geneva M. 
Hutchinson, Secretary, who accepted a position offered 
by the TVA; (5) Mary Miles, Assistant to the Head 
of Baldwin Hall, who is now Assistant Superintendent 
of Religious Education in the Westminster Foundation, 
University of Kansas; (6) Mrs. George H. Lowry, who 
is occupied in the management of her property interests. 
The following new members of the faculty and staff 
have been appointed for the year 1941-1942. 

( I ) Lincoln Barker, B.A., M.A., Associate Professor 

of Psychology and Educa- 
tion. Professor Barker's 
undergraduate course was 
taken in Washington Uni- 
versity, St. Louis, and 
Westminster College, Ful- 
ton, Missouri. His ad- 
vanced study has been 
J,\ *~- J[^^^H done in Westminster Col- 
g^^B - . ^^^^^^1 '^gS' Pi'inceton Universi- 

^^^B ^^^^IH ^y^ Princeton Theological 

^^|k i| ■!Pf!V|llH Seminary, Washin g t o n 
^^^^^9| ^^^^j^l University, and New York 

University. He was two 
LINCOLN BARKER years on the faculty of 

his Alma Mater, West- 
minster College; was 
eleven years Professor of Psychology, Education, 
and Philosophy at Arkansas College, and for five 
of these years served also as Dean of the College; has 
been for the past seven years Dean and Professor of 
Psychology and Philosophy at Westminster College, 
Salt Lake City, Utah. Professor and Mrs. Barker have 
two sons, one of whom is a freshman in Maryville 
College, and the other a senior in Maryville High 
School. 




JOHN HIBBARD STELLWAGEN 



(2) John Hibbard Stellwagen, B.A., M.A., Pti.D., 

Assistant Professor of 
Spanish. Dr. Stellwagen 
received the B.A. degree 
from the University of 
Minnesota, the M.A. de- 
gree from Harvard Uni- 
versity, and the Ph.D. 
degree from the Universi' 
ty of Chicago. After 
graduation from college 
he was in business for 
four years with the Ford 
Motor Co. (training for 
foreign service) and the 
Universal Credit Co. For 
one year he taught with 

the University of Minne- 
sota, and for the past two years has been on 
the faculty of Baldwin-Wallace College, Ohio, 
teachmg Spanish and French. Dr. and Mrs. Stellwagen 
have one daughter nine 3'ears old. 

(3) Ruby Violet Lane, B.S. in H.E., M.S., Instructor 

in Home Economics, is 

teaching certain courses 
and giving supervision to 
the Home Management 
House program. She re- 
ceived her B.S. m H.E. 
degree at Maryville Col- 
lege in 1937 and her 
M.S. degree at the Uni- 
versity of Tennessee in 
1941. She has taught 
home economics for three 
years in one of the North 
Carolina high schools. 
Her sister, Frances Ruth 
Lane, is now a senior in 
Mar^'ville College. 

(4) Anne S. Dempster, Assistant to the Head 
of Memorial Hall. Miss Dempster's home is in 
Knoxvillc and she received her education in the South. 

(5) Jessie H. Franklin, Assistant to the Head of 
Baldwin HalL Her daughter, Mary Emily Franklin, 
graduated at Maryville College in 1936. Mrs. Franklin 
served some years ago as Assistant in Baldwin Hall and 
has served in the dormitories at the University of Ten- 
nessee. 

(6) Harriet M. Miller, B.A., Assistant in the Student- 
Help Office. Miss Miller graduated from Maryville 
College m the Class of 1940, and last spring graduated 
from the Strayer Secretarial School in Washington, 
D. C. Another assistant became necessary in the 
Student-Help Office because of the transfer to that 
oifice of the "printing" work after the resignation of 
Miss Hutchinson. 

(7) Some other part-time assistants, including Scott 
Honaker, son of Coach Honaker, who having graduated 
last spring after establishing a strong athletic record as 
a student is assisting with the football squad each day 
after his hours of work at the Aluminum plant. 




RUBY VIOLET LANE 



NINE 



MARRIAGES 

J. Leon Millsaps, '36, to Gladys Dorothy Hodge 

Ben M. De Lo:;ier, '55, to Evelyn French Hardin 

Geraldine Smith, '34, to Joseph Lucas 

Marjorie J. Bliss, '37, to Robert M. Cummings 

Ruth Crawford, '40, to H, F. Lamon, Jr., '40 

Robert McKibbcn, '37, to Ruth Matthews, ex-'39 

Harry Walrond, '34, to Miss Hawkins 

Georgia Dell Ingle, '39, to John Howell Smathers 

Mary Bell Parks, '40, to Dean Rappich 

Evelyn French Scott, '38, to William Broyles 'Wilson, 

ex-' 3 9 
Ernestine Tipton, '36, to Ralph "V. Reed, '40 
Ruth E. Haines, '38, to Donald R. Killian, '38 
James H. Etheredge, '40, to Elizabeth Gaultney, ex-'41 
Mary Earl Walker, '35, to Eugene Paine 
J. N. Badgctt, Jr., '40, to Blanche Clark 
Mary Port'er Hatch, '38, to Harold M. Truebger, '38 
Dan McConnell, '34, to Neva DcVault 
Nora Bell Hensley, '38, to Albert Mullcr 
Mary Louise Cooper, '41, to Warren George Corbett, 

''41 
Eugene McCurry, '41, to Margaret Bailey, Class of '42 
Alma Mason, '41, to WilHam Boyd Rich, ex-'42 
Floyd Green, '41, to Linda Robinson, ex-'43 
Julia Sellers, '38, to Harold Copeland, ex''40 
Edward V. Lodwick, '35, to Louise Mary Amick 
Margaret Naomi Whitehead, '36, to Fred Lee Rhyne 
Clarence Thames, '39, to Mary Sue Waters, ex''40 
W. Hadley Webb, '32, to Evelyn Utter 
William Timmons, '31, to Bobbie Edds 
lone Isabelle Youngs, '41, to Alfred H. Davics, '41 
T. Elworth Black, '39, to Una Evelyn Easter, Class of 

'45 
Rollo A. Hutfstetler, '36, to Mary Hammcrick 
Lois Black, '38, to John Cristopher Carr 
Carleen R. Birchfiel, '39, to Willis Howard 
Helen M. Tulloch, '36, to J. Duncan Crowley, '36 
Howard G. Wickman, '38, to Martha J. Kauppinen 
Charles T. Theal, '38, to Henel Hake 
Howard W. McClanahan, '39, to Ruth Jones, ex-'41 
George 'V. Stanley, '36, to 'Virginia Thompson 
Willis Edward Garrett, '36, to Ruth Marion Arnold 
James Edward Thomas, '41, to Dorothy Jean White, 

Class of '43 
Carl Lamar Blazer, ex''38, to Eva Jean Blake, ex-'42 
Bernard Boyatt, '37, to Fannie Grey Peppenhorst 
Mary Katherine Warren, '39, to Will Otis Leffell 
Ellen Hitch, '36, to Keith Templeton 
Rena Forest Joyner, '35, to John Worth McDevitt 
William H. Overly, ex''44, to Bennic Ruth Dickson, 

ex-'44 
Mark Lewis Andrews, "37, to Gladys Elizabeth Glenden- 

ing 
George Vick, '33, to Sarah Ann Fischer 
Howard Kipp, '34, to Frances Elizabeth Lowell 
Mary Emily Franklin, '36, to Boyd T. Hendrix 
Richard Pettit, '36, to Mary Belle Miller 
Robert Johnson, '36, to Gail Meade 
Edward Morris Thomas, '40, to Lucile Rose 
Samuel Wilson Gillingham, '31, to Ann Elizabeth Priest- 
man 
Lynn Boyd Rankin, '36, to Marianne Hirst 
Miriam Berst, '40, to John Wintcrmute, '40 
Helen Frances Bewley, '40, to Warren Ashby, '39 



Nina M. Husk, '40, to J. T. Luke 
Miriam Waggoner, ex-'40, to James M. Heiskell 
Jacqueline Klauber, ex-'43, to Robert Claflin 
Helen Bobo, '39, to George Bounds 
Kathryn A. Adams, '38, to William C. Trent 
Kathryn Reed. '38, to Clyde Powell, '38 
Ernest L. Stoifel, ex-'43, to Virginia Ann Ewing 
Barbara B. Lyle, '32, to F. Alvni McCann, '31 
Alene R. Pitt, '38, to Arthur B. Chittick, ex-'39 
Virginia Rose Carter, '31, to Raphael J. Tiffany 



DEATHS 

Cora C. Bartlett, '80, March 19, 1940 

Pliny B. Ferris, '98, Aug. 1, 1941 

William Foster Fyke, '14 

Percy Hamilton Johnson, '08, Nov. 27, 1940 

Willamara Minton, '32, (Mrs. T. A. Magill) May 28, 

1941 
John Stone White, '32, June 21, 1941 

sj: ♦ ^ 

HERE AND THERE -WITH ALUMNI 

Charles H. Allen, '36, is now pastor of the Presby- 
terian Church at Starke, Florida. 

Joe J. Arrendale, '36, received his M.D. in June from 
the University of Georgia School of Medicine. 

J. Leslie Bell, '26, has accepted a call to the Jefferson 
Center Church of Buder, Pennsylvania. 

Robert J. Beyer, '34, is now pastor of the Chillisqua- 
quc and Mooresburg Churches of Pottsgrove, Pennsyl- 
vania. 

J. Fred Bingman, '40, is a medical aide at Chatuge 
Dam, Hayesvillc, North Carolina. 

Samuel W. Blizzard, Jr., '36, received his Th.M. at 
Princeton in June. He is pastor of the Chestnut Grove 
Presbyterian Church, Long Green, Maryland. 

Steve T. Boretsky, '34, is in the armed forces. 

B. Horace Brown, '39, was elected president of the 
senior class in the Law School of Duke University and 
vice-president of the Duke Bar Association, and repre- 
sented Phi Delta Phi fraternity at its southern states 
conference. 

George W. Brown, '38, has received his M.Ed, at 
the LIniversity of Buffalo. 

William Malcolm Brown, '38, has received his B.S.T. 
from Western Theological Seminary. This past year he 
was awarded the Keith Memorial Homiletical Prize, the 
Hugh Thomson Kerr Moderator Prize, and shared with 
a classmate the Sylvester S. Marvin Memorial Fellow- 
ship. 

Florence Butnian, '37, is teaching in the Maryville 
cit)' schools. 

Charles Edward Brubaker, '38, won the Gelston- 
Winthrop Foundation Fellowship in Apologetics at 
Princeton Theological Seminary. He continues his 
study this year at Union Theological Seminary in New 
York and is assistant pastor at North Avenue Presby- 
terian Church in New Rochelle, New York. 

Hallie Jane Brunson, '40, is teaching in Fort Myers, 
Florida. 



TEN 



Dolores T. Burchette, '35, has been doing work in 
Spanish at the National University of Mexico, Mexico 
City. 

John Theodore Burns, '33, has been pastor of the 
First Presbyterian Church at Cottage Grove, Oregon, 
since June. 

Alva G. Burris, '39, is now coaching at Benton, Ten- 
nessee, High School. 

Virginia Rose Carter, '31, (Mrs. R. J. Tiffany) is 
traveling research statistician for the Cancer Institute 
under the U. S. Department of Public Health, and 
makes her home in Washington, D. C. 

Louise Cline, '33, is now with the Massachusetts 
Mutual Life Insurance Company. 

Etta Culbertson, '39, is taking a secretarial course at 
Bowling Green Business University and teaching two 
courses at the University. 

Cooley L. Combs, '32, who received his M.D. from 
the University of Louisville, is taking special work at 
the Brooklyn Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital where 
he plans to be for three years. 

Albert Joseph Cook, '27, is now a Shift Supervisor in 
the Cannon Powder Finishing Area of the Louisville 
plant of the E. I. Dupont Company. 

Earle W. Crawford, '35, has received his M.Th. from 
Princeton Theological Seminarv. 

Lynn E. Crawford, '37, received his M.A. from the 
Harvard School of Business Administration in 1941 and 
is now employed at the Aluminum Company in Alcoa. 

Alexander Christie, '36, and Mrs. Christie sailed 
recently for the Philippine Islands under the Presby- 
terian Board of Foreign Missions. Mr. Christie has 
been serving the Cedar City, Utah, Church. 

Frances Deal, '35, who received her M.A. from Van- 
derbilt in 1941, is now teaching in Brunswick, Georgia. 

George F. Deebel, '35, is a research chemist for Mon- 
santo Chemical Company in Dayton, Ohio. 

Harold E. Dysart, '39, is teaching high school science 
in Aberdeen, North Carolina. 

Edith Faye Evans, '40, is with the TVA in Knox- 
ville. 

Catheryn Smith Fischbach, '35, is teaching in Mary- 
ville High School. 

John Hurt Fisher, '40, is studying at the University 
of Pennsylvania under a Harrison Fellowship granting 
all expenses for the year. 

William C. Frishe, '35, is now an instructor in chem- 
istry at Alabama Polytechnic Institute, Auburn, Ala- 
bama. Mrs. Frishe (Eleanore Pflan:;e, '36) is also teach- 
ing there. 

Willis E. Garrett, '36, is pastor of the First Presby- 
terian Church of Tarpon Springs, Florida. 

Samuel Wilson Gillingham, '31, received his M.Ed, in 
1940 from Duke University and is teaching in the 
Morristown, New Jersey, High School and Junior 
College. 

Carrie Lou Goddard, '33, is teaching in the Maryville 
city schools. 

Oliver N. Hamby, '38, is with the TVA at Turtle- 
town, Tennessee. 

Mary Elizabeth Harrison, '34, is teaching in the 
Maryville city schools. 

Sara Lee Heliums, '40, who has been with a bank in 
Corpus Christie, Texas, is now teaching science in the 
Rotan, Texas, High School. 



James N. HoUoway, '36, has resigned from his teach- 
ing position and is now with the Aluminum Com- 
pany of America. 

Mary Jo Husk, '39, is teaching at Everett elementary 
school, Maryville. 

Thelma lies, '34, received her M.S. from the Uni- 
versity of Tennessee in June. 

Robert H. Johnson, '36, is Instructor of Economics 
and Business Administration in the College of Arts and 
Sciences in West Virginia University, Morgantown, 
West Virginia. 

Cazwell C. Johnstone, e.\-'24, is now located at the 
Central Presbyterian Church, Miami, Florida. 

Robert W. Jones, '30, who has been in Cookeville, 
Tennessee, is now pastor of the First Presbyterian 
Church of Harriman, Tennessee. 

A. Gordon Karnell, '34, is assistant pastor at the Pres- 
byterian Church of Wcstiicld, New Jersey. 

Hessie Keeton, '31, (Mrs. J. L. Allison) received a 
B.A. degree in library work in August from the College 
of William and Mary. 

Dorothy S. Kellar, '31, has been appointed Assistant 
State Supervisor of Home Economics Education and is 
located in Springfield, Illinois. 

Florence Emilie Kleinhenn, '23, (Mrs. Ralph Kessel- 
ring) sailed July 20 with her husband and two children 
to Ipoh, Malaya, to resume missionary work. 

Thomas V. Kidd, '35, who is with the E. I. Dupont 
Company, has been moved to Louisville, Kentucky. 

Charles H. Kindred, '40, is coaching at Porter High 
School, in Blount County. 

Howard W. Kipp, '34, pastor of Hemenway Memo- 
rial Church of Boonville, Indiana, received his M.S.T. 
from Hartford Seminary Foundation. 

Linton L. Lane, '32, is employed in the post office 
in Maryville. 

Ruby Violet Lane, '37, received her M.S. from Uni- 
versity of Tennessee in June. 

Jane Law, '40, is with the financial department of 
the Board of Christian Education in Philadelphia. 

Eugene Little, '35, has received an M.S. from the 
University of Tennessee. 

Marian E. Lodwick, '38, now holds an M.S. in Nurs- 
ing from Western Reserve University and is employed 
in the University Hospital. 

C. Siunpter Logan, ex-'32, is taking graduate work at 
Louisville Presbyterian Seminary and is pastor of the 
First Presbyterian Church of Lancaster, Kentucky. 

Dan Mays McGill, '40, has received a fellowship in 
Economics at the University of Pennsylvania. 

John C. McQueen, '34, and congregation have built 
a new church at Lexington, Kentucky. 

Mary Miles, '18, has been appointed Assistant Super- 
intendent of Religious Education in the Westminster 
Foundation at the University of Kansas, Lawrence. 

Wilkison W. Meeks, '37, received his M.S. in 1939 
and his Ph.D. in 1941, from Northwestern University 
and is now employed at the Naval Ordance Laboratory 
in Washington. 

James E. Montgomery, '40, received an M.S. in 
Sociology at Vanderbilt in June. 

William S. Napier, '39, is coach at Bradley County 
High School, Cleveland, Tennessee. 

Marjorie G. Orcutt, 40, is with the United Fruit 
Lines in New York City. 



ELEVEN 



Mary Bell Parks, '40, (Mrs. Dean Rappich) received 
a B.S. in L.S. at Western Reserve University in June. 

A. D. Partee, '30, is now Branch Manager of Uni- 
versal Credit Company in Casper, Wyoming. 

James Patterson, '37, has taken special work at Ameri- 
can Savings and Loan Institute and is now Assistant 
Secretary "of the Federal Fidelity Savings and Loan 
Institute at Cincinnati. 

William Patterson, '36, is now employed by the 
American Playing Card Company of Cincinnati. 

N. Albert Rosser, '39, is teaching history and coach- 
ing at Bolivia High School, North Carolina. His basket- 
ball team last year won the Southeastern championship. 
James G. Saint, '36, expects to complete work for his 
Ph.D. in 1942. This past year he has been president of 
the Religious Education Club of Chicago. 

Mary Etta Sharp, '35, who has been teaching home 
economics at Maryville High School, has now joined 
the faculty of the Arkansas State Teachers College, 
Conway, Arkansas. 

Hugh L. Smith, '39, has entered Baptist Theological 
Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky. 

Donald Rugh, '38, and Mrs. Rugh (Joy Pinneo, '39) 
will sail this spring for India as missionaries. 

Dorothea R. Stadelmann, '37, who received her M.A. 
from Columbia University in 1941, is teaching m the 
Cranford Junior High School, Cranford, New Jersey. 

George V. Stanley, '36, is with Republic Steel at 
Canton, Ohio, 

Henrietta Smith, "25, received her M.A. from Wash- 
ington LInivcrsity. Her thesis title was "The Religious 
Satire of the Restoration." 

Robert Ross Smyrl, '36, has been granted an M.Th. 
from the Princeton Presbyterian Seminary. 

E. E. Stidham received the M.Th. from Louisville 
Presbyterian Seminary. He was a commissioner to the 
General Assembly at St. Louis this year. 

Richard Strain, '31, reports strenuous activity in his 
new field at Miraj, S.M.C., India. He is teaching five 
periods, operating, holding clinics twice weekly, and 
studying Marathi two hours daily. 

Charles Sullivan, '40, is a photographer with Clan 
Mills Portrait Studios in Springfield, Ohio. 

Charles Thomas Theal, '38, who recently received his 
B.Th. from Princeton Theological Seminary, is now at 
Lisle, New York. 

Edward M. Thomas, '40, is now enrolled at Western 
Theological Seminary. 

Ellen Thornbury, '40, has finished her course at 
Louisville School of Medical Technology and is now a 
doctor's assistant in Harlan, Kentucky. 

Mattie A. Trotter, '37, is teaching in the Maryville 
city schools. 

Merlin F. Usner, '27, has accepted a pastorate at 
Bethel Church in New Orleans, Louisiana. 

Arda Susan Walker, '40, received her M.A. in history 
from the University of Tennessee in June and is teach- 
ing speech and history at Maryville High School. 

George H. Vick, '33, pastor at Chebanse, Illinois, 
spent the winter term at Union Theological Seminary 
working on his D.Th. He was a commissioner to the 
General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the 
U. S. 

Alma J. WhiiFen, '37, has been awarded a Ph.D. 
from the University of North Carolina with a thesis on 
fungi. She received the North Carolina Academy of 



Science Award for research and is teaching at the 
University of North Carolina. 

Lois C. Wilson, '16, received in June an M.A. in 
Classical Arabic from Hartford Seminary Foundation. 

Mary Wilson Watkins, '18, received her M.A. in 

Spanish from the University of New Mexico. 
^ ^ ^ 

CLASS OF 1941 

The Alumni office has received reports concerning the 
present activities of 90 of the 133 graduates of the most 
recent class — that of 1941. They are as follows: 
DOING ADVANCED STUDY 

In Theological Seminiarics: At Columbia. John Melvin 
Magee, Eugene Reid; at Emory University. Arthur Peterson: 
at Louisville, Ralph P. Thompson: at Pittsburgh-Xenia, Henry 
Millison: at Presbyterian (Chicago), David M. Humphries. 
Jack L. Zerwas. Eldon Seamons: at Princeton, Roland Ander- 
son. Alfred Davies. Charles Eble, Robert Lament, Andrew F. 
O'Conner. Stuart R. Schimpf. John H. Thompson. J. Robert 
Watt. Oliver K. Williams: at San Francisco. John B. Astles. 
Philip Evaul: at Union (Richmond) , George Webster: at 
Western. Paul Brown. Kenneth Duncan. David T. Young. 

In Medical Colleges and Hospitals: at Christ {Cincinnati) . 
Marjorie Resides (nursing): c.t Duke. Jacob Bradsher: at 
Emory. Hal Henschen: at Georgia. Mary Darden (Dietetics) : 
at Hahnemann {Philadelphia). Dorothy Jean Eslinger: at 
Johns Hopkins. Bcrneice Tontz (nursing): at Temple, Robert 
Puncheon. Joseph Swifr: at Vanderbilt. Frederick Rawlings. 
Katherine Ogilvie (Dietetic Intcrneship ) : at Women's Medical 
College {Philadelphia) . Margaret Peters. 

In Graduate Schools: At University of Alabama. Harold 
Austin (aviation engineering) : at Hartford Seminary Founda- 
tion. Barbara Ann Swift (Religious Education): at University 
of Michigan. Edna Manrose (Library Science) : at Moody 
Bible Institute. Lily Pinneo. at University of North Carolina. 
Frank Brink (Dramatic Art). G. B. Clark (Political Science). 
Harvey Lehman. (Zoology). Lois Ann Alexander (Zoology). 
Willard Klimstra (Botany): University of the South. Robert 
Short (Teaching Fellowship), at University of Texas Law 
School. Gordon Findlay: at business college. Jean McCammon. 
Elizabeth Ann Huddleston. 
ENGAGED IN TEACHING 

Lorraine Adkins. Marianna Allen. Ruth Andrews. Ann Biggs. 
Aline Campbell. Jane Carter. Emma Cassada. Ila Goad. Ruth 
Gordon. Marie Griffith. Mildred Hatcher. Ezell Hayes. Edith 
Hitch, Margaret Hodges, Margaret Lodwick. Betty McArthur. 
Elizabeth Moore. Vivian Moore, Miriam Nethery. Thelma 
Ritzman. Savannah Sneed, Anna Lee Storey. Lois Wester. 
ENGAGED IN OTHER OCCUPATIONS 

With Aluminum Company of America.. Scott Honaker. Ver- 
non Llovd. Eugene McCurrv. Joe Miser. Julius Nicely. Mary 
Orr, William Short. Thomas Tavlor. J, Edward Thomas: 
with TVA. Katherine Bennett (Knoxville). Alma Millsaps 
( Hiwassee Dam) : with Standard Electric. Robert Moore (New 
York) : with Sears Roebuck. George Edward Haynes (Orlando, 
Florida), Ned Sams (Johnson City): with Western Electric. 
W. Carl Walton (Kearny, New Jersey) : with Frontier Nurs- 
ing Service, Jean White: secretarial work. Louise Wells (Mary- 
ville) : with the Radford Ordnance Work. Joseph Magill (Vir- 
ginia): with the Florida Power Corporation. Lura Mae 
Laughmiller. 
IN THE ARMED FORCES 

In Air Corps. Boydson Baird, William Baird, Charles Bald- 
win. John Ballenger. Clement Hahn. J. D. Hughes. Douglas 
Steakley: Roland Tapp: in the Army. Lynn Birchfiel. Thom- 
as Cragan, William Huff, Rollo King. Robert Wilcox. 



TWELVE 



SUMMER CHURCH MEETINGS ON THE CAMPUS 

During the summer vacation this year three church 
conferences of four to seven days each met on the 
campus, using the dormitories, dining hall, and other 
facihties. The College maintenance and dining hall 
staff are on duty during such periods. The meetings 
this year were: 

June 9-14: Young People's Conference of Knoxville 
Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in the U. S. 
(Southern Presbyterian). This was its ninth year at 
Maryville. Those present numbered 202. 

June 17-20: Annual meetings and joint conference of 
the Synods and Synodical Societies of Tennessee, Ala- 
bama, and Mississippi of the Presbyterian Church in 
the U. S. A. This was the third consecutive year that 
Tennessee Synod and Synodical have held such meet- 
ings at Maryville but is the first year that Alabama and 
Mississippi have joined Tennessee. It was a very suc- 
cessful meeting, with 282 persons registered. The same 
plan will be followed in 1942. President Lloyd of 
Maryville Colege serves as chairm.an of the Committee 
on Program, Arrangements, and Docket. 

June 23-28: Joint Young People's and Senior Con- 
ference of the Presbyterian Church in the U. S. A., 
with 182 young people and leaders enrolled. 



AMONG THE FACULTY 

President Emeritus Samuel Tyndale Wilson, living in 
retirement in Maryville, continues to be in about the 
same health as during the last year. He is quite feeble 
and goes away from his home very little. His daughter, 
Mrs. Clyde T. Murray (Olive Wilson, '13) and her 
family and his daughter Lois Wilson, ('16) home from 
her missionary work in Syria, and Dr. Wilson are all 
living together in the home place, "Casa Blanca." 

President Ralph W. Lloyd spent the summer at the 
College except for a vacation trip of a week to Chica- 
go and a number of business trips. As a member of 
the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of 
the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary 
Schools, he was one of a group of between fifty and 
severty-five educators of the South who spent two 
weeks in July at Sewanee, Tennessee, in a Work Con- 
ference on Higher Education conducted by the Southern 
Association and financed by the General Education 
Board of New York. This Conference, which consider- 
ed the problems and needs of education in the South, 
will be continued next summer. Meanwhile a number 
of institutions, including Maryville, are working over 
the problems surveyed at Sewanee. 

Dr. Briggs (psychology and education) is this year 
serving as chairman of the College Section of the East 
Tennessee Education Association. Mr. Davis (physical 
education) is serving as chairman of the department on 
Health, Physical Education, and Recreation. 

Miss Davies (music) has been notified by the College 
of Wooster, of which she is a graduate, that she is one 
of those honored by election to Pi Kappa Lambda, na- 
tional honorary musical society, of which a chapter has 
just been obtained by the College of Wooster. 

The following members of the faculty were members 
of the summer school faculty at the University of 
Tennessee this year: Dr. Hunter (English), Dr. Queencr 
(history), and Mr. Colbert (music). 



The following members of the faculty were on the 
faculties of church young people's conferences in the 
past summer: President Lloyd as vesper speaker at one 
of the Maryville conferences; Mr. Dollenmayer as a 
teacher at Grove City College, Pa.; Dr. Gates at the 
College of Wooster, Ohio; Mrs. West at Sullins Col- 
lege, Va.; Mrs. Cummings at Kiski School, Pa.; Mr. 
Smith at Smyrna Camp, Ga. 

The following members of the faculty pursued study 
during the past summer: Miss Armstrong (home eco- 
nomics) at Columbia University, Miss Home (music) 
at Eastman School of Music, Mr. Kiger (history) at 
Duke University, Mr. Pieper (political science) at Uni- 
versity of North CaroUna, Miss Cowen (music) at 
Juilliard School of Music, Miss Purinton (art) at Co- 
lumbia University, Miss Seedorf (dramatic art) at the 
University of Wisconsin, Miss Grierson (library) at 
Columbia University, Mr. Honaker (physical educa- 
tion), coaching clinic in Johnson City, Tenn., Mr. Davis 
(physical education), coaching school at Northwestern 
University, Mrs. Queener (physical education), Camp- 
bell Folk School at Brasstown, N. C, Mrs. Brown (bi- 
ology) , in the Smoky Mountains National Park. 

Paul F. Wendt, Assistant Professor of Economics 
since 1939, in August received the degree of Ph.D. 
from Columbia University. 

It has been announced that the following members of 
the faculty have been advanced from the rank of In- 
structor to that of Assistant Professor: Ruth E. 
Cowdrick, Ph.D. (French), John A. Davis, M.A. 
(physical education), George F. Fischbach, M.A. 
(physical education), Elizabeth H. Jackson, M.A. 
(English). 

Nathalia Wright, Assistant in the Library, has written 
an article to appear in a forthcoming issue of the New 
England Quarterly Review entitled "Hawthorne and 
L'Affaire Praslin." 

Dr. William P. Stevenson, who has now retired from 
most of his active duties as College Pastor but who 
continues to live and serve on the campus, during the 
past summer made a ten-thousand mile automobile trip 
to the national parks of the Far West. His ultimate 
objective was Jasper Park in western Canada but on the 
journey he visited the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone 
Park, the Canadian Rockies, and various other parks 
and points of interest. He was gone from Maryville 
about a month and a half and drove his car all the 
distance alone. Dr. Stevenson will celebrate his eighty- 
first birthday on December 24. 
* * * 

TRIPS BY COLLEGE OFFICERS 

In addition to various trips made by President Lloyd 
in the interests of the financial development of the Col- 
lege the following program is being followed this fall 
by other officers: 

Miss Henry, Director of Student-Help, is spending 
a considerable part of October and November in the 
East. Among her appointments is an address on "The 
Maryville College Rotating Loan Fund" before the 
National Officers and the State Regents of the D.A.R., 
in Washington, October 23. 

Dr. McClelland, Dean of Students, is dividing two 
weeks in October and November among the Cincinnati, 
Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia areas. 

Mr. Black, Director of Maintenance, expects to spend 
two weeks in November in western Pennsylvania. 



THIRTEEN 




"ISNALA" 



"THE STUDIO HOUSE" 

For many years one of the most interesting and at- 
tractive places in MaryviUe has been the house at the 
northeast edge of the college campus, built and used as 
a home and art studio by the late Anna Belle Smith. 
Through a Declaration of Trust made in 1931 this 
studio house, with furnishings and contents, was trans- 
ferred by Miss Smith as a gift to Maryville College. 
It was agreed that Miss Belle Smith or her sisters Mrs. 
John M. Alexander and Miss Elizabeth Smith and her 
brother-in-law the Rev. Dr. John M. Alexander, would 
retain possession and use of the house during their life- 
times. Mj-s. Alexander, for thirty-three years a teacher 
at Mar^rville College, died in 1938. Miss Belle Smith 
died May 8, 1939. 

Dr. Alexander, Miss Elizabeth Smith, and Miss Nan 
Cheney, a close friend of Miss Elizabeth Smith and her 
late sisters, reside in the Alexander home adjacant to 
the studio. Through their courtesy and generous in- 
terest in the College the "Anna Belle Smith Studio 
House" has been placed at the service of the College 
this year. It becomes something of a Fine Arts center. 
A studio reception was held there recently by the 
faculty of the Division of Fine Arts. The classes in 
Art meet there daily, thus releasing rooms in Anderson 
Hall formerly occupied as studios. 

The house contains several rooms of which the large 
studio, with its iireplace, tall brick inside chimney 
(shown in the accompanying picture), north skylight, 
and furnishings, is especially impressive. The stairs and 
balcony within the large studio are unique. There is a 
"living room" with piano, dishes, and other attractive 
and useful contents, a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, 
storeroom, and basement. The porches and surround- 
ings likewise are attractive. 

The plan and contents of the house reflect the 
artistic taste and personality of Miss Belle Smith. There 
are many articles brought from various countries and 
a number of lovely pictures painted by Miss Smith. 
Most of these have been put away for safe keeping. 
The house, as has been intimated, is furnished through- 
out. 



Anna Belle Smith was born in Con- 
necticut and received her academic and 
art education in New England, New 
York, Boston, Paris, Egypt, Palestine, 
and elsewhere. From 1914 to 1921 she 
was on the faculty of Maryville College 
as teacher of Art and Head of the Art 
Department as it was then organized. 
About 1919 her interest in books and 
people led her to give her effort to 
the building of a city library in Mary- 
ville. In 1921 she closed her teaching 
work and gave full time as librarian in 
the city library until her death in 1939. 
In the city and in the College she has 
left a valuable heritage. 

She named her studio house "Isnala," 
an Indian name meaning "Alone." A 
tablet containing this name and a state- 
ment that the house and its contents 
were the gift of Anna Belle Smith is to 
be placed on the house. 



THE 1941-1942 ARTISTS' SERIES 

October 2'i — Opera "Don Pasquale" by Metropolitan 
Opera Company cast. 

February 23 — Anatole Kitain, Russian Pianist. 

March 16 — Jan Kiepura, Polish Tenor. 




IN THE STUDIO 



FOURTEEN 



THE FEBRUARY MEETINGS OF 1942 

The sixty-sixth series of February Meetings will be 
held February 4-12, 1942, The preacher this year will 
be Rev. Clifford E. Barbour, Ph.D., D.D., Pastor of 
the Second Presbyterian Church, of Knoxville, Ten- 
nessee. 

For the twentieth time the singing will be in charge 
of Rev. Sidney E. Stringham, who is at present pastor 
of the Shaw Avenue Methodist Church, St. Louis, 
Missouri. All Maryville alumni who have graduated 
during the past twenty years have felt some acquain- 
tance with Mr. Stringham. And three-fourths of all our 
living alumni have graduated within those twenty 
years, because in that period the classes have been much 
larger than in earlier years. 

This will be the second series led by Dr. Barbour. 
He was the preacher of the series in 1938, the year 
before the present seniors entered college. He is a 
native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and holds degrees 
from the University of Pittsburgh, Western Theological 
Seminary, the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, and 
Maryville College. Before coming to Knoxville in 1928, 
his ministry was in Pittsburgh, as pastor of Heron Ave- 
nue Presbyterian Church and as assistant to Dr. Hugh 
T. Kerr in the Shadyside Presbyterian Church with 
special responsibility for students in the University of 
Pittsburgh and Carnegie Tech. The Second Presby- 
terian Church, Knoxville, of which he is now pastor, 
was organized and supplied for ten years by Dr. Isaac 
Anderson, Founder and first President of Maryville 
College. 

Since 1924, the leaders of the February Meetings have 
been as follows: 1924— Dr. Edgar A. Elmore; 1925— 
Dr. William Thaw Bartlett; 1926— Dr. Joseph M. 
Broady; 1927— Dr. Frank Marston; 1928— Dr. Ralph 
Waldo Lloyd; 1929— Dr. John M. Vander Meulen; 
1930— Dr. Roy Ewing Vale; 1931— Dr. Ralph Waldo 
Lloyd; 1932— Dr. William Hiram Foulkes; 1933— Dr. 
Ralph Marshall Davis; 1934 — Dr. Roy Ewing Vale; 
1935— Dr. William Taliaferro Thompson; 1936— Dr. 
Louis H. Evans; 1937 — Dr. Howard Moody Morgan; 
19J8— Dr. Clifford E. Barbour; 1939— Dr. Harrison Ray 
Anderson; 1940— Dr. Louis H. Evans; 1941— Dr. 
Howard Moody Morgan. 



THE COLLEGE DAIRY 

Through the generosity of an interested friend it 
has been possible to make some very important improve- 
ments at the College Dairy which supplies milk to the 
College Dining Hall. 

Last year a modern refrigeration and cooling unit was 
built. At present there is nearing completion a modern 
type milking barn designed by dairy authorities. These 
two buildings are constructed of cinderblock, concrete, 
and metal, and are fireproof. They stand adjacent to 
the large frame feeding barn whose size was doubled 
a few years ago, making it approximately one hundred 
feet long; it is being increased again now to about one 
hundred and forty feet, thus adding forty per cent to 
its capacity. 

Last spring the old Lamar house was taken down and 
the material used to build a large much needed imple- 
ment shed near the barn. A large silo has been built 



in recent years. Six Jersey cows were added to the 
herd this fall. 

A few smaller things and a good looking white fence 
are in the plans which when completed should make the 
Maryville College Dairy a modern sanitary plant of 
attractive appearance. It should be so because it is on 
a major highway into the Smoky Mountains National 
Park. 

* * * 

LOAN FUND IN MEMORY OF MRS. ALEXANDER 

Sometime ago a group of alumni asked the College 
for the privilege of starting a loan fund in memory of 
the late Mrs. Jane Bancroft Smith Alexander, under 
whom they studied at Maryville. 

Subscriptions to the Loan Fund are being received 
from other former students of Mrs. Alexander by a 
committee composed of: Wiley Rutledge, ex-'14, U. 
S. Court of Appeals, Washington, D. C. (Honorary 
Chairman); Frances M. Brown, ex-''17, 258 Lafayette 
Avenue, Passaic, N. J. (Chairman) ; George H. Osborn, 
'32, Southern Boulevard, Chatham, N. J.; and Alice 
Wright Carson, '17, Vonore, Tenn. An attractive bulle- 
tin has been issued by the committee under the title, 
"A Student Loan Fund — A Living Memorial — Mrs. 
Jane B. S. Alexander." Good progress has been made, 
several hundred dollars having been subscribed. 

Mrs. Alexander was a teacher in Maryville College 
for thirty-three years, most of them in the field of 
English Literature; she retired in 1934 because of age 
and limited health; her death occurred March 2, 1938. 
Her husband. Rev. Dr. John M. Alexander, and her 
sister. Miss Elizabeth Smith, continue to reside in 
Maryville near the college campus. 



THE GEORGE A. KNAPP MATHEMATICS 
SCHOLARSHIP FUND 

In July, 1941, there was established at Maryville 
College "The George A. Knapp Mathematics Scholar- 
ship Fund" of $1,000 in memory of Dr. George A. 
Knapp, who was Professor of Mathematics and Physics 
here from 1914 until his retirement in 1938. The 
Alumni Magazine of April, 1941, reported Dr. Knapp's 
death at the age of eighty on November 4, 1940, and 
told of his half century of service as a college teacher, 
twenty-four of them at Maryville. 

This Scholarship Fund has been established by Dr. 
Knapp's son, Tracy F. Knapp, '20, and his two daugh- 
ters, Mary Gertrude Knapp Barrett, and Josephine 
Knapp Kiefer, '18. 

The purpose and plan of the Fund are set forth in 
part in the following extract from the Declaration of 
Trust: "The income from this memorial fund shall be 
awarded each year at or about the commencement 
season as a prize to the most outstanding and most 
promising student majoring in mathematics, enrolled in 
either the junior or senior class of Maryville College. . . 
If in any year, in the judgment of the Committee, 
there is no student who qualifies under the terms and 
spirit of this award, the income for that year shall be 
added to the principal fund." 



FIFTEEN 



w