Skip to main content
1STOP MEMB ERs
p or the Y
ear ending Decemb
er 3h 1894,
Digitized by the Internet Archive
in 2011 with funding from
LYRASIS Members and Sloan Foundation
THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM
SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART.
LIST OF MEMBERS
For the Year ending December 31, 1894.
OFFICERS FOR 1895
WILLIAM PLATT PEPPER.
HONORARY VICE PRESIDENT,
THEODORE C. SEARCH, CRAWFORD ARNOLD.
ROBERT K. McNEELY. DALTON DORR
DIRECTOR OF THE MUSEUM, PRINCIPAL OF THE SCHOOL,
DALTON DORR. LESLIE W. MILLER.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
The Governor of the State, The Mayor of the City.
BYRON P. MOULTON, Appointed by the State Senate.
Alexander Crow, Appointed by the House of Representatives.
Charles H. Harding, Appointed by Select Council.
F. William Wolff, Appointed by Common Council.
Samuel Gustine Thompson, Appointed by the Commissioners of Fairmount
ELECTED BY THE MEMBERS
To serve for three years :
John T. Morris, Charles H. Cramp,
Stuart Wood, John Story Jenks,
Theo. C. Search.
To serve for two years :
Robert K. McNeely, Crawford Arnold,
William Wood, T. P. Chandler, Jr.,
Alfred C. Lambdin, M.D.
To serve for one year : .
A. C. Harrison, Thomas Dolan,
William Platt Pepper, C. N. Weygandt,
Charles E. Dana.
COMMITTEES FOR 1895.
William Platt Pepper, Chairman; Stuart Wood, T. C. Search, William
Wood, A. C. Lambdin, M.D., C. N. Weygandt, R. K. McNeely, A. C. Harri-
son, Charles E. Dana, J. S. Jenks, C. H. Harding, T. P. Chandler, Jr.
Charles E. Dana, Chairman: Samuel Gustine Thompson, Wilson Eyre,
Jr., Charles Grafly, Frank Miles Day.
A. C. Lambdin, M.D , Chairman; J. T. Morris, J. S. Jenks, A. C. Harrison,
T. P. Chandler, Jr., Dalton Dorr, ex officio, Mrs. Jno. Harrison, Miss Anna
Blanchard, Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts, Miss Magee, Mrs. Joseph F. Sin-
nott, Mrs. E. D. Gillespie, ex officio.
T. C. Search, Chairman; Wm. Wood, J. S. Jenks, R. K. McNeely, C. H.
Harding, Mrs. Thomas Roberts, Mrs. T. A. Reilly, Mrs. William Weight-
man, Jr., Mrs. George K. Crozer, Mrs. Howard Wood, Mrs. E. D. Gillespie,
C. N. Weygandt, Chairman ; Stuart Wood, J. S. Jenks, T. C. Search, T.
P. Chandler, Jr.
ex officio a member of all Committees.
ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN
BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
( For their Report see page 36. )
MRS. E. D. GILLESPIE.
MRS. TOHN SANDERS.
MISS FANNIE S. MAGEE.
Mrs. Singerly Balch,
Mrs. C. C. Bartol,
Mrs. C. William Bergner,
Miss Anna Blanchard,
Miss Mary Cohen,
Miss Margaret L. Corlies,
Mrs. George K. Crozer,
Mrs. E. E. Denniston,
Mrs. Rodman B. Ellison,
Mrs. Joseph Harrison,
Mrs. Morris Jastrow,
Mrs. Richard Henry Lee,
MRS. BYRON P. MOULTON.
Mrs. Craig Lippincott,
Miss Ellen McMurtrie,
Mrs. Edward H. Ogden,
Mrs. T. A. Reilly,
Mrs. Thomas Roberts,
Miss Elizabeth C. Roberts,
Mrs. Wm. Weightman, Jr.,
Mrs. Charles Wirgman,
Mrs. Francis H. Williams,
Mrs. Howard Wood,
THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM,
Organized as a Museum of Industrial Arts, has grown far beyond the limits set
for it at first. The pictures and statuary in the Bloomfield-Moore collection and the
food-products in the collection of British India indicate its present scope. Its divi-
sion into departments, under the supervision of specialists, has been undertaken.
Those already organized, comprise :
DEPARTMENT OF AMERICAN POTTERY,
Edwin AtLee Barber, Honorary Curator.
DEPARTMENT OF NUMISMATICS,
F. D. Langenheim, Honorary Curator.
DEPARTMENT OF TEXTILES, LACE AND EMBROIDERY,
Mrs. John Harrison, Honorary Curator.
DEPARTMENT OF GOLDSMITH WORK, JEWELRY AND PLATE,
Chas. D. Clark, Honorary Curator.
Dalton Dorr, Director of the Museum.
M. D. Woodnutt, H. M. Wilder, Assistants.
William Lindsay, Superintendent.
THE SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART
Comprises in its organization the following Departments :
School of Drawing
School of Textile Design and Manufacture.
School of Decorative Painting.
School of Chemistry and Dyeing.
School of Applied Design.
School of Wood Carving.
School of Decorative Sculpture.
School of Architectural Design.
School of Mural Decoration.
School of Normal Art Instruction.
School of Modern Languages.
L. W. Miller, Principal.
Howard Fremont Stratton, Director of Art School.
E. W. France, Director of Textile School.
Bradley C. Algeo, Assistant Director of Textile School and Instructor in Textile
Design and Mechanical Drawing.
Charles X. Harris, Professor of Drawing.
Charles E. Dana, Professor of Water Color Painting.
Henry Plasschaert, Professor of Sculpture.
Joseph H. Shinn, Jr., Instructor in Design applied to Textiles.
Florence C. Fetherston, Instructor in Design applied to Printed Fabrics.
William Laird Turner, Instructor in applied Design — Evening Class.
Frank X. Bell, Instructor in Wood Carving.
William Roebuck, Instructor in Weaving and Related Branches.
F. Maxfield Parrish, Instructor in Mural Decoration.
Julian Millard, Instructor in Instrumental Drawing and Architectural Design.
Helen A. Fox, Instructor in Instrumental Drawing.
Thomas Capper, Instructor in Jacquard Sketching and Designing.
Elizabeth M. Hallowell, Instructor in Pen and Ink Drawing.
Charles N. Butler, C.E., Lecturer on Patent Laws.
Joseph C. Haas, Instructor in Dyeing.
John Scott, Instructor in Carding and Spinning.
A. M. Grillon, Instructor in French.
Madame A. M. Grillon, Instructor in German.
Frances Louise Farrand, Instructor in Elementary Design. '
Paul Lachenmeyer, Instructor in Drawing— Evening Class.
M. Louise VanKirk. Lecturer on Methods of Teaching and of the Kindergarten.
Thomas B. Ridington, Engineer and Instructor in Steam and Metal Work.
Norman E. Whitehead, Assistant Engineer.
Edward J. Roberts, Assistant Instructor in Hand Loom Department.
Samuel Thompson, Jr., Superintendent of Building.
Leonora J. C. Boeck, Registrar.
THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM
SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART.
THE NINETEENTH ANNUAL REPORT OF THE TRUSTEES.
This report is for the year ending December 31st, 1894.
Another year has rolled around, and on looking back we have
much that is gratifying to record of steady progress in all departments
of our Institution — the details of which you will hear presently from
the Director of the Museum and the Principal of the School. The
City of Philadelphia was asked to give an appropriation for our School
and I am happy to say we shall receive from that source in the year
1895 the sum of $5000. The Associate Committee of Women, always
so ready to assist in raising money and in efficient work on all the
Committees with the Board of Trustees, have again proved their abil-
ity by two most successful entertainments, held on June 9th (a garden
party) and December 14th, 1894 (the Carnival of Nations), by which
the handsome sum of $5000 was turned into our treasury — and the
hearty thanks of all interested in our noble institution are due and
hereby publicly offered to them for their practical and timely assistance.
The Legislature of Pennsylvania has been asked to appropriate a
considerable sum " to the reduction of the large mortgage incurred in
the purchase of this property," as well as an increased annual amount
for the support of the School, now nearly double its former size and
having 590 pupils enrolled for the School year. A mural tablet has
been placed by the Trustees in the new entrance hall of this building
to record a generous gift of Mr. William Weightman, who made the
purchase of this fine large property possible in 1893. Mrs. Chapman
Biddle, by her Will endowed a Scholarship in the School, as a memo-
rial of her husband, the late Chapman Biddle, Esq.
To the Principal of the School, and to the fine corps of teachers
under him in all departments, to the Director of the Museum, his
Assistants, and those who have given their valuable, voluntary time and
help, and the Assistant Treasurer, the thanks of the Board of Trustees
are most heartily given, through me, their President, for their earnest,
untiring, systematic and efficient work in their several spheres of duty,
which have made our Institution what it is to-day. * The report of the
Director of the Museum will now be read, followed by the report of the
Principal of the School, etc.
WILLIAM PLATT PEPPER,
REPORT OF THE MUSEUM.
The number of visitors to the Museum during the past year was
379,419 ; an increase of 142 over the previous year. This would seem
to indicate that the average maximum of visitors under present condi-
tions has been attained. But, large as these figures are, the substitu-
tion of trolley for horse cars on the lines reaching the Museum, will
probably make some increase in the number of visitors this year. The
proportion of visitors to population is now a fraction over 36 per cent.,
which is a gratifying evidence of appreciation on the part of the public
of a Museum of this kind. Tested in another way, however, I regret
to say that the evidence of public appreciation is not so gratifying.
For several years, money-boxes, placed by your direction in conspicu-
ous places about the building, have invited visitors to contribute
therein to the purchase fund of the Museum. But in no one year have
the funds collected in this way exceeded $164.00. This year they
amounted to $122.97, which is equal to a gift to the purchase fund of
T 3 T of a mill by each visitor. Or, in other words, an average of one
cent from thirty-three people. Now, bearing in mind the fact that
no charge is made for admission to any of the departments of the Mu-
seum, or for the facilities furninshed students to work therein ; that the
building is open free, daily, Sundays included, throughout the year, it
should seem that visitors would have contributed more liberally than
that. Supposing that only one visitor out of every five had considered
that he had derived five cents worth of pleasure or profit from his visit
and dropped a nickel in one of the boxes as a voluntary admission fee,
at the end of the year there would have been a fund of $3,794.15 to
spend in addition to the collections. More than three and a half mil-
lions of people have visited Memorial Hall since it was opened free to
the public. A contribution of five cents from each visitor would have
amounted to $172,151.00 to expend in purchases for the Museum, in
excess of the cost of the present collections. Consider for a moment
what a centre of interest the Museum, thus nobly endowed by its
visitor-patrons, would be to Philadelphia to-day.
I have dwelt at some length on this subject of small voluntary
contributions to the purchase fund by visitors to the Museum, because
it is evident that our citizens do not yet realize how entirely they have
it in their power, in this easy way, at trifling individual cost, to be
constantly gathering together here in Memorial Hall, for their own
and their children's enjoyment, examples of the most beautiful works
the world of artist-artizans is producing or has produced. And I ven-
ture to hope that all who receive this report will endeavor to make
the practice here suggested, become a custom of the community.
Although only a small sum was expended by the Institution in
purchases for the collections, because the funds usually available for
that purpose were all pledged to repay advances made for the purchase
of objects at the Columbian Fair, yet the year has been fruitful in
valuable gifts and loans.
Twenty-five new show cases were bought at a cost of $425.00.
The most important work of the year was the rearrangement of
the large West Corridor, as the Textile Department of the Museum,
under the supervision of Mrs. John Harrison, the Honorary Curator of
the Department. There was a peculiar fitness in selecting this room
for that purpose as the fac-simile reproduction of the Bayeux Tapestry
occupies the length of the walls. In this room Mrs. Harrison has
made a systematic grouping of the textiles, including laces, embroid-
eries and tapesteries belonging to the Museum ; to which she has made
valuable additions from her own private collections. A prominent
position is given here to the handsomely carved stand of swinging
frames containing the illustrations of the history of lace manufacture
prepared by the Countess di Brazza for the Columbian Fair. This
stand was shown at the Lace Exhibition which Mrs. Harrison organ-
ized at the School last year, and was purchased by a special subscrip-
tion of a number of ladies of this city for presentation to the Insti-
Passing through the Textile room the visitor enters the Southwest
Pavilion where the Lamborn, Lewis, Vaux and Hammer collections of
Greco-Roman antiquities are displayed. An illustrated hand-book of
the last named collection was issued last spring.
The corresponding room at the north end of the Corridor has
been given over to the display of the rich and carefully selected
" Ethnological East Indian collection," belonging to Professor Max-
well Sommerville, who generously consented to place it here on view
during his absence abroad.
The Department of American Pottery, under the active care of
Mr. Edwin AtLee Barber, its Honorary Curator, has received numer-
ous accessions. A most gratifying feature of the year's growth, is the
gift by several manufacturing potters of specimens of their wares.
Already Mr. Barber has made in this department a very full and com-
plete collection illustrating the early history of American Pottery, and
we may feel hopeful that, having gained the co-operation of leading
potters in securing examples of the latest productions of their kilns,
the present progress of the industry will be adequately represented.
The Department of Numismatics received two notable additions
in the fine collections of coins and medals made by Mr. Clarence B.
Moore and the late Mr. Thomas Hockley. There are now upwards of
fourteen thousand specimens in this department, and Mr. F. D. Lang-
enheim, its Honorary Curator, is engaged in the laborious task of
supervising their classification and arrangement for exhibition. The
removal of the large painting by Rothermel of the Battle of Gettys-
burg to the State Capitol at Harrisburg, has enabled us to construct an
enclosure in the well-lighted corner of the East Gallery, where the
picture formerly hung, for the display of the coin collections. When
the full series are on view here, it may confidently be expected that
so large and important a collection will add materially to the reputation
of the Museum.
It is proposed to bring together in the room in which the coins
are now stored while arranging, the numerous examples of goldsmith
work, jewelry and plate which are at present on view in various parts
of the Museum. Mr. Charles D. Clark has kindly consented to super-
vise this work.
Last year through the kindness of Mr. Frank Miles Day, we were
presented with detailed drawings, most carefully and accurately made
by two of his students while traveling abroad, of the pillar around
which winds the stair to the Pulpit of Nicola Pisano in Siena. These
drawings were prepared with a view to having a pillar moulded to com-
plete the model of the staircase and pulpit which we already have.
It should be remembered that permission to copy this staircase was
obtained for us by a former Philadelphian, the late Miss Anne Hampton
Brewster ; and that it was an exceptional favor to receive. Models of
the pulpit can be bought from any of the authorized dealers in plaster
casts, but permission to take castings of the staircase was never before
granted to any one. This Museum, therefore, was the first to exhibit
the two parts together — the pulpit and the staircase—just as they stand
in the cathedral. With the column added, the structural adaptation of
the winding stairs will be shown ; and I trust that it will be possible to
make this addition during the coming year.*
We still have stored, in the boxes in which they were shipped,
the large Siamese pagoda and the Japanese booth which the gener-
osity of one of the patrons of the Museum enabled us to purchase
at the Columbian Fair. The pagoda was bought with the view of
having it erected in the middle of the South Vestibule where it would
be an imposing and attractive figure. The booth is interesting as
showing the architectural methods of the Japanese. Means should be
provided to place both these structures in position.
Mr. John Struthers, although no longer officially connected with
the Museum, has shown his continued interest in it in a very practical
way by presenting us with a fine camera and lens for use in the photo-
Another gift of special interest is the donation, by Mr. A. D.
Pell, of several choice specimens of French and English porcelains,
which he proposes to make the nucleus of an historical collection to be
selected by him from his own extensive and very valuable collection
of European porcelain.
Mr. Edgar H. Butler donated a fine marine painting, The Ship-
wreck, by Edward Moran, and the Fairmount Park Art Association de-
posited on loan Hamlet and Ophelia, by George Pettit, a character-
istic example of that artist's work
Appended is a detailed list of the gifts and loans :
Purchases for the Museum :
Bellarmine Jug (Fulham?) Stoneware.
Two Chromodithographs ; Arundel Society Subscription.
Gifts were received from :
Lieut.-Col. J. P. Nicholson :
Bronze Badge of Pennsylvania Reserves, 1 861-1890.
Gilt Medal ; Oliver C. Bosbyshell.
Bronze Medal of Post 51, G. A. R.
* Since this report was made, the President of the Institution, Mr. William
Piatt Pepper, has offered to bear the expense of erecting this pillar. The students
of the school will do the work under the direction of Mr. Henry Plasschaert, the
Professor of Sculpture.
Mr. A. D. Pell :
Six Cups and Saucers, French, English, and Vienna Porcelain.
Three Plates, French, and English Porcelain.
Mr. John T. Morris:
Porcelain Night Lamp, old German.
Thirteen Pieces American Pottery, from Potteries at Greenpoint, N. Y., Ben-
nington, Vt., and Eastern Pennsylvania.
Mr. E. Lycett :
Twelve Specimens of Stoneware, illustrating lustre glazing.
Specimen of Glaze, illustrating " crazing."
Mr. Philip Schou, Director of the Royal Porcelain Factory, Copenhagen :
Large Porcelain Vase, decorated in shades of blue.
Mrs. William Weightman, Jr. :
Silver Vase, with cover; repousse decoration. Siamese.
Large Earthenware Vase, painted, from India.
Photograph of Siamese Pagoda, framed.
Five Rugs of Woven Grass, Siamese.
Lieut. C. Ricchiakdi, of the Royal Siamese Commission to the Columbian Fair :
Wood Mosaic, representing Columbus's First Sight of America. Made by
Carallina, of Florence.
Miss M. L. McLaughlin ;
Decorated Vase, American Faience.
Mrs. John Harrison :
India Silk Hanging, embroidered in colors.
Eight Examples of Rare Old Laces : Punto a Maglia, Spanish Point, Point de
Gene, Valenciennes, Malines, Milanese, Guipure, and Devonshire.
Embroidered Military Coat, time of William of Orange.
Dish of Tortoise-shell Ware.
Mr. E. A. Barber :
Fourteen Specimens of American Pottery, from Potteries at Trenton, Phrenix-
ville, East Hampton, L. I., Baltimore, and Eastern Pennsylvania.
Two Flasks of Blown Glass. American.
Mr. Carl Edelheim:
Ancient Phoenician Glass Bowl.
Mr. Carl M. Voelker :
State Bank Note of 1861, Egg Harbor Bank, N. J.
Mrs. Geo. K. Crozer:
Chinese Cabinet of Carved Wood, inlaid with Ivory. Part of the Chinese
Government Exhibit at the Centennial Exposition of 1876.
Mr. Clarence B. Moore :
Collection of thirty-seven Aboriginal Indian Relics from Florida and Ohio.
Collection of upwards of 2000 Coins (now listing).
Committee on Washington Memorial Arch, New York, through Mr. R. W.
Two of the Bronze Medals designed by St. Gaudens.
Mrs. J. W. Queen:
Gilded Table, with top of Roman Mosaic.
Prof. Daniel W. Howard :
Plaque of American Earthenware, with Portrait of General Garfield.
Saucer of American Earthenware, colored figure decoration.
Mr. John Struthers .-
Photographic Camera, with lens.
Mr. William Platt Pepper :
Two Chinese Screens of carved Bamboo.
Mrs. Gustav A. Schindler :
Four examples of Point and Pillow Laces, Venetian Point, Milanese Guipure,
and Point D'Alencon.
Two pieces of Confederate Paper Money.
Mr. E. J. Cartlidge:
Eight Pieces of Decorated American Porcelain, made at the Works of Charles
Cartlidge, Greenpoint, N. Y., about 1850.
Mr. Wm. H. Rau:
Head of an Egyptian Mummy.
Mrs. Thomas Hockley :
Crucifix of Carved Ivory, French, of the XVI. Century ; Turkish Tobacco Box ;
Japanese Bronze Stork.
Mr. Herman Dock :
Model of the Aztec Calendar Stone, Mexico.
Beaver Falls Art Tile Company :
Forty-two Relief Titles in various colors.
Mrs. Margaret Heininger :
Three Coins: German Kreuzer of 1852; VI Kreuzer of 1806; Mexican 2
Reals of 1827.
Mr. William Simon :
Six Pieces of Continental Paper Money.
Mrs. Annie Tyndale:
Four small Porcelain Buttons, made at the Works of Charles Cartlidge, Green-
point, N. Y., 1848.
Mrs. Henry Nagle :
Two framed Pictures, embroidered and painted on satin. 1800-1820.
Miss Elizabeth Hemphill (bequest) :
Two Marble Vases and Marble Mantel Slab.
Mr. E. H. Butler :
Oil Painting by E. Moran : " Shipwreck."
Mrs. John Harrison, Mrs. Edward S. Willing. Associate Committee of
Women, Mrs. Owen J. Wister, Miss Mary C. Dulles, Miss Martha M.
Brown, Mrs. William T. Carter, Miss Fannie Rosengarten, Mrs. John
Farr Weightman, Miss Juliana Wood, Mrs. M. H. Messchert, Mrs.
•Alexander B. Coxe, Mrs. Travis Cochran, Mrs. Charles Wheeler,
Mrs. William Platt Pepper, Miss Nina Lea, Mrs. S. Weir Mitchell, A
Lady; Mrs. Beauveau Borie, Mrs. Emma Tower Reilly, Mrs. Clarence
H, Clark, Miss Helen C Denniston, Mrs. Thomas McKean, Mrs. Louis
C. Norris, Mrs. Thomas Roberts.
Lace Exhibit at the Columbian Fair prepared by Countess di Brazza, compris-
ing a Carved Stand of Swinging Frames containing illustrations of the history of
Lace Manufacture ; also a collection of Lace Making Implements, ancient and
Loans were made by —
Mrs. Elvira N. Suits :
Piano, made by Leuchte & Newton, New York ; the Case of inlaid woods.
Prof. Maxwell Sommerville :
East India Ethnological Collection : Carvings, Fabrics, Embroideries, Figures,
Vases, etc., illustrating the life and arts of India.
Sixty-six Pieces, mostly Porcelain, of Japanese and French manufacture. Per-
sian Tiles, Enamels, etc.
Dr. Robert H. Lamborn :
Sixty-three Pieces added to his Collection, comprising Metal work, Lamps,
Fire-making implements, Ivories, etc.
Mr. W. A. Reever :
Martin Luther Prayer Book : printed in Frankfurt, 1778.
Mrs. John Harrison :
Nine Pieces of Antique Silver Ware.
Dr. Clement Biddle, U. S. N. :
Collection of two hundred and twelve pieces of Chinese and Japanese, art
work ; mostly of Porcelain, Bronze, Silver and Ivory. Also 42 Coins.
Mrs. William Weightman, Jr. :
Large India Rug.
Mrs. Herman Burgin :
Two Plates of American Pottery, with portraits of Clay and Harrison.
Miss Ella P. Chapman :
Child's Coach, made in England in 1763.
Mrs. Thomas Hockley :
Collection of Coins and Medals numbering upwards of 1600 pieces (now listing).
Mrs. Annie Tyndale :
Six Pieces of American Porcelain, made at the Works of Charles Cartlidge,
Greenpoint, N. Y., 184S-53.
Fairmount Park Art Association :
Oil Painting by George Pettit ; " Hamlet and Ophelia."
Contributions to the Library \vere received from —
Mr. John T. Morris, Boston Library Bureau, Edward Muybridge, Scott Stamp
and Coin Company, Mr. E. A. Barber, Mrs. John Harrison, Dr. E S. Vanderslice,
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, National Academy of Design, New York ;
Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Cincinnati Museum Association.
D ALTON DORR,
Director of the Museum.
AWING BY WM, E. RICE,
The progress of the School continues to be quite as satisfactory in
every respect as that noted in former reports. The registration shows
an increase in the attendance, of 186 pupils, or rather more than 46
per cent, over the registration for the preceding year. The following
additions have been made to the corps of instructors. Miss Slater
having resigned, Mr. Plasschaert has been engaged to take entire charge
of the Department of Decorative Sculpture, to which he formerly de-
voted only a portion of his time. Mr. D'Ascenzo having also resigned
his position to spend some years abroad, Mr. F. Maxfield Parrish has
been appointed to succeed him as instructor in charge of the class in
Mural Decoration. Mr. Joseph H.'Shinn has been appointed Instructor
in Design in the Textile School in place of Miss Goodwin who has also
resigned and gone abroad, and Mr. Simon's place as Instructor in
Wood Carving has been filled by the appointment of Mr. Frank X.
Mr. Charles E. Dana having returned to America, after spending
some time abroad, has very kindly resumed the position of Professor
of Water Color Painting, in which he did such good work for the
School some years ago. He has gathered an earnest and devoted class
of students, and the influence of his example as the most accomplished
master of water color which the city possesses can hardly be over-esti-
In the Textile School the following specialists have been added to
ING BY VERNON H. BAILEY, A PUPIL IN THE SCHOOL.
the teaching force : Charles N. Butler, C.E., Lecturer on Patents and
Patent Laws ; Joseph C. Haas, Graduate of the School of Chemistry
at Mulhouse, Instructor in Dyeing ; Thomas Capper, Instructor in
Jacquard Work, and John F. Scott, Instructor in Carding and Spin-
Among the additions to the equipment are a good many valuable
sets of machinery, which will be found described in detail in the list
of donations included in this report, the most notable being the com-
plete outfit for a carding and spinning mill which has been placed here
by Ernest Gessner, of Aue, in Saxony. The donation of this machi-
nery by a foreign manufacturer furnishes gratifying evidence of the
importance attached to the School and its influence by manufacturers
at even so great a distance as Germany.
A kiln for firing terra cotta and pottery has been erected in the
basement of the School building by Mr. Plasschaert, our Professor of
Sculpture, at his own expense, and furnishes another illustration of the
unselfish spirit in which the members of the faculty serve the School.
It is a matter to which allusion has often been made in these reports,
but one which can hardly be repeated too often, that the true strength
of the Institution and its main reliance for all that is to give it char-
acter and influence is found in the spirit of loyalty and devotion which
animates the whole body of teachers, whose example, I must say again,
amounts to nothing less than consecration.
A welcome addition to the furnishing of the School-rooms has
been made by setting up six large show-cases which were purchased at
Chicago by the Associate Committee of Women. Three of these are in
the Art School, one in the Search Library of the Textile School, one
in the Exhibition-room, and one in the room occupied by the Associate
Committee of Women. All of them are filled already with good ma-
terial, and add very much to the attractiveness of the rooms in which
they are placed.
An improvement in the School building of much importance has
been made in the removal of the small rooms and narrow passages near
the main entrance, throwing the whole space into which one enters
from the street into an open lobby. The work, which was done under
the supervision, and at the expense, of the Associate Committee of
Women, constitutes a very handsome improvement, indeed. The
marble floor is the gift of Mr. William Weightman. The gas fix-
tures — two chandeliers and four wall-brackets, are a gift from the
Thackara Manufacturing Company.
The course of illustrated lectures under the auspices of the T.
Square Club, the inauguration of which was announced in the last report,
were given in the auditorium, the lecturers being Prof. Warren P. Laird,
on January 24th, on " Greek and Roman Ornament;" Mr. Walter
Cope, February 7th, "Gothic Ornament;" Mr. Percy Ash, March
7th, "Applied Ornament;" Mr. E. V. Seeler, on "Wall Deco-
ration," March 28th, and Prof. Wm. H. Gray, "Stained Glass,"
In addition to these, Prof. A. L. Frothingham, of Princeton,
ITEK JAK — FROM A DRAWING BY ONE OF THE PUPILS.
lectured April 6th on "Rome and the Early Revival of Art in the
Under the auspices of the Associate Committee of Women and for
the benefit of the School, the Countess di Brazza delivered a lecture on
"Italian Lace and Its Artificers," in the auditorium, on the evening
of November 23d. The lecture was illustrated by means of a collec-
tion of lace, part of it old and possessing historical interest, and much
of it the product of the schools which the lecturer has been active in
establishing within the last few years in Northern Italy.
The lecture was not only instructive and valuable in itself, but
netted a considerable profit, which has been applied in the service of
January 20th a reception was given by the Associate Committee
of Women. The School was thrown open for the inspection of visi-
tors, and all the departments were in operation.
The following exhibitions have also been held during the year:
One in March of Stained Glass by Mrs. Fanny Darby Sweeny, and
Decorative Designs by Mr. Nicola D'Ascenzo, both of whom were for-
PEN-AND-INK DRAWING FROM PHOTOGRAPH BY ONE OF THE PUPILS.
mer pupils of the School; one from March 31st to October 31st of
the Liberian Exhibit from the Columbian Exposition, and one of the
Russian Educational Exhibit from the same place, which was opened
in November and is still in progress as this report is written.
On March 13th, Mrs. Joseph F. Sinnott deposited in the School
five large pictures, which are hung in the Principal's office and in the
library. They are "The Lay of the Last Minstrel," by Rothermel ;
" The Blacksmith of Mardey," by Wittkamp; " The Invalid Asylum,"
by Baumgartner, and " What are the Wild Waves Saying " and " Lon-
don in a Fog," by James Hamilton.
The School has also been the recipient of a number of valuable
objects of industrial art, the gift of Mrs. Thomas Hockley, viz. : Two
lanterns, one of hammered brass and one of Chinese bronze, a hal-
berd, sword, dagger, helmet, shield, battle-axe, several wrought-iron
lanterns, parts of a chandelier, two brackets, an amphora of glazed
earthenware, two pairs of antlers, two antelope heads and several
stuffed birds, as well as a Chickering Grand Piano, three book cases,
two cases for photographs, a graphoscope, and one thousand and fifty
photographs and chromo-lithographs comprising many of the most
important publications of the Arundel Society.
Two Spanish water-coolers have also been presented by Mr. Per-
cival Thomas, and a portrait of Mr. Frederic Graff, the gift of Mrs.
A lace bedspread and curtains, examples of German work, have
also been received from the Royal Industrial Museum at Stuttgart in
exchange for the silk portiere produced in the School and purchased for
A large and very rich piece of Japanese embroidery was presented
by Mr. Rudolph Blankenburg.
The following objects of industrial art for use in the School were
purchased at the World's Fair by funds provided by the Associate
Committee of Women : Two mugs, a claret jug, cup, two vases and
two tankards, all in Bavarian pewter.
The following were purchased from the Temple Fund : An Indian
bottle and inlaid table, a hammered brass bowl, brass lantern, Koran
stand and Siamese basket.
The Textile School has received the following donations of mate-
rials and assistance.
From the Atwood Machine Company of Stonington, Conn.— one
20-spindle silk quiller.
W. W. Altemus & Son, of Philadelphia — one 12-spindle bobbin-
winder, with improved variable motion ; one 12-spindle cop-winder for
carpet yarns ; one improved presser spooler.
From C. Moore & Company, of Philadelphia — Jacquard twine
John Greer, of Philadelphia — one upright warping mill.
Sykes Brothers, of Philadelphia — 200 pounds of carpet yarn.
William Thornton, Philadelphia — 200 pounds of carpet yarn.
M. A. Furbush & Son Machine Company, of Camden, N. J.— one
improved high speed ingrain carpet-loom with fifth box attachment.
The Aberfoyle Manufacturing Company, of Chester, Pa. — Fine
Woolen yarn from Thomas Wilson & Co., of Philadelphia.
Mohair yarn from John Durnley, of Philadelphia.
Six hundred hook raise and drop Jacquard machine from Richard
Hey & Son, of Philadelphia.
Forty pounds of assorted worsted yarns from George C. Hetzel &
Co., of Chester, Pa.
Improved foot-power card-stamper from John Royle & Sons, of
Paterson, N. J., loaned for the use of the School.
Card clothing from American Card Clothing Company of Worces-
ter, Mass., through Mr. Arthur White, of Philadelphia.
Improved card-clothing machine from Clarence Arnold, of Phila-
The following outfit for a carding and spinning mill which has
been placed in the Textile School by Mr. Ernest Gessner, Aue, Saxony :
One full set of carding machines, two condensers, three sample spin-
ning frames, one fulling mill, one shearing or cropping machine, two
rotary steam cloth presses, one 2-horse power steam-engine.
We are also indebted to Firth & Foster Bros, and to Thomas
Beardwood & Bro. for their kindness in finishing many of the fabrics
produced in the School; to Conyers Button & Co., Quaker City Dye
Works, J. B. Stetson & Co., and the Eddystone Print Works, for ma-
terials ; and to J. M. Sharpless & Co., Messrs. Pickhardt & Kuttroff,
W. J. Matheson & Co., E. Sehlbach & Co., New York and Boston
Dyewood Co., Andreykovicz & Dunk, C. Bischoff & Co., for chemicals
and dye-stuffs ; to Mr. Jonathan Horsfall, Messrs. O. T. Janney & Co.,
L. Craigin &: Co., for chemicals for use in the dye house, and to the
following firms for donations of yarns: Erben Harding & Co., George
Campbell &: Co., through Mr. J. D. Blackwood and James Sullivan
One hundred and seventy-seven volumes and pamphlets have been
added to the library during the year, of which thirty were purchased.
One hundred and forty-seven volumes were donated by Mrs.
Thos. Hockley, Mr. John Struthers, Prof. Curley, Dr. W. N. Egle and
L. W. Miller.
The Commencement Exercises were held in the School building,
Broad and Pine streets, on the evening of June 8th, 1894, and were
followed by a garden party in the central court under the auspices of
the Industrial Art Society.
Addresses were made by the President, by Mr. Theodore C.
Search, Mrs. E. D. Gillespie, Mr. Henry G. Kittredge, and by Lieu-
tenant Robert Crawford.
The following prizes and certificates were awarded at the same
President's Prize for the Rest set of First Year's Works. — Anne Bal-
Frederic Graff Prize, $25. — James N. Kennedy.
(For work in Architectural Design ; competed for by students in the evening
Henry Perry Leland Prize. — William Seltzer Rice.
(Given by Mrs. John Harrison for work in Pen and Ink.)
Richards First Prize.— Sophia Bentia Steel.
Richards Second Prize. — Jane Hovey Allen.
(Given by Mr. F. De Bourg Richards, for work in Pen and Ink.)
Ripka Prize. — Erne Ives.
(Given by Messrs. Ripka & Co., for work in color.)
Weber Prize. — Daniel E. Sutton.
Honorable mention to Helen Howe Knight.
(Given by Messrs. Weber & Co., for Mechanical Drawing.)
Weil & Taws Prize.— Madeleine Lamed.
(Given by Messrs. Weil & Taws, for Flower Painting.)
Academy Scholarship. — John Birkmire.
(A free scholarship in that Institution given by the Pennsylvania Academy of
The following prizes were awarded by the Associate Committee of
Maddock First Prize, $20. — Nellie Kulling.
Maddock Second Prize, $10. — Anne Balderston.
(Given by Mr. Thomas Maddock, of Trenton, N. J., for design for a covered
ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN'S PRIZES.
First, $20, for general excellence of first years' work, to Anne Stretch Caspar.
Honorable mention to Lizzie Elliott Smith.
Second, $10, for Oil Cloth Design.— Harry William Sharadin.
Third, #10, Printed Fabrics.— Frances Louise Farrand.
Fourth, $10, Wall Paper. — Mabel Gibson.
Honorable mention to Elise A. Guillou.
Fifth, $10, Concours in Design.— Matilda French Whitall.
The Mrs. George K. Crozee Prize, #20, for Work in Drawing, to Alfred
Honorable mention to Daniel B. Sutton.
The Mrs. George K. Crozer Prize, $20, for Work in Modelling, to
Honorable mention to John Finn.
Certificates, Class A.— Laura Gertrude Alburger, Anne Balderston, John
Birkmire, Anne Stretch Caspar, David Frank Gledhill, Helen Howe Knight, Chas.
Orin Provost, William Seltzer Rice, Daniel Everett Sutton, Emma Smith, Lizzie
Class B.— Frances Louise Farrand, Agnes Gendell, Elise A. Guillou, Made-
leine Lamed, Ella Messier, Harry William Sharadin, Andrew Paul Watt, Matilda
Applied Design Certificate. — Joseph Harry Shinn, Adeline May Thumlert,
Sallie Garrett Yarnall, Sarah Baynes French.
Diplomas. — Anne Haslam Brinton, Isabel Maud Jacobs.
Teachers' Certificates. — Nellie May Trevor, Maud Gertrude Trevor.
American Wool Reporter Prize, $30. Awarded to students in the second-
year class. — Harland James Maynard, of Maynard, Mass.
Finckel Prize, #15. — Thomas L. Flower, of Philadelphia.
Honorable mention to Edward Currie, of Philadelphia.
American Wool Reporter Prize, $20. Awarded to students in the first-
year class. — John Mortimer Walton, of Providence, R. I.
Finckel Prize, $10. — Robert McClements, of Auburn, N. Y.
Honorable mention to Albert Sidney Howard, of Clinton, Mass., and to William
Blackwood, of Philadelphia.
The above prizes are given by the American Wool Reporter, of Boston, Mass.,
and by Mr. M. L. Finckel, of the Germantovvn Hosiery Mills respectively.
Diplomas. — William Kirk Greer, Frederic Sidney Hunt.
Second-Year's Certificates.— Charles Brombach, Joseph C. F. Clark, John
W. Connelly, Edward Currie, Thomas L. Flower, George Geiser, J. Loring Glover,
Jr., Mark B. Halfpenny, Harland James Maynard, James Harris Sayles, Charles
First Year's Certificates. — Herbert Armstrong, William Blackwood, Chas.
H. W. Cliff, Herbert G. Coe, John W. Davis, Fred. D. Frissell, Albert S. Howard,
Robert McClements, William P. Nichols, Sol. Sheurman, John M. Walton, Adrien
Certificates Awarded on the Completion of the Two-Years' Evening
Course. —J. Dobson Koch, Charles F. Noska, James O'Brien, Joseph Rawnsley,
John F. Scott, John T. Simpson, C. Gordon Stafford, Clinton H, Stafford, Edgar S.
Stafford, Walter Thompson.
Chemistry and Dyeing Class. — George Taylor Van Boskerck, John Alfred
Evening Dyeing Class. — One Year, Oliver Harrison, Thomas Moore; Two
Years, Edward Thomas Fearon.
Eleven appointments to State scholarships have been made during the year,
viz., for Adams, Bradford, Butler, Cambria, Cameron. Columbia, Elk, Franklin,
Montgomery, Northumberland, and Tioga counties— making twenty-two holders of
these appointments at present registered in the school.
The scholarships placed at the disposal of the Board of Public Education were filled.,
as usual, by a competitive examination, conducted by the Principal -each Grammar
School Principal being authorized to send candidates.
Five of these appointments are made each year, each appointment being for
three years. Of the fifteen registered in the last three years, ten are now in the
In addition to the above, nine scholarships have been filled from the Normal,
High, and Manual Training Schools of the city. These scholarships are granted
in the day classes of this institution, on the completion of the course of study in any
of the above-named high schools; and in the evening classes, to students who have
not finished their course — two scholarships for each school, one in the day and one
in the evening classes, being at the disposal of the faculties of the several schools.
The President of the T. Square Club, Mr. Walter Cope, has established three
scholarships, in the evening modelling class, as prizes to be competed for by mem-
bers of the Club. The first competition was held on the 23d of October, and the
three winners are now registered in the School.
Of the five hundred and ninety students registered for the year ending December
31st, 1894, three hundred and twenty-five were men and two hundred and sixty-five
Appended, are lists of students registered since December 31st, 1894,
showing their occupations and the localities from which they come.
Architects, . . . . .18 Finishers,
Artists, 2 Illustrators,
Beamers, . . . . .3 Laborers,
Bookbinders, . . 2 Lawyers,
Carpenters, . . . . .5 Loom Fixers
Carvers, . . . . .17 Manufacturer
Chemists, ..... 2 Mechanics,
Clerks, , . . . .21 Overseers,
Decorators, ..... 5 Painters,
Designers, 51 Patternmak
Draughtsmen, . . . .12 Students,
Dressmakers, „ .' . .2 Teachers,
Dyers, ...... 8 Weavers,
Engineers, . . . . .2
Engravers, . . . . .3
From Philadelphia, ........... 471
'' Pennsylvania, ............ 59
" New Jersey, . . . . . . . . . . . .31
'' Delaware, 4
" New York, ............ 4
" Connecticut, ............ 3
" Michigan, ............ 2
" New Hampshire, ........... 2
" Wisconsin, 2
" Alabama, ...........
l< Illinois, . .
" Nebraska, ..... ......
" Rhode Island, ..........
L. W. MILLER,
Principal of the School.
REPORT OF THE TREASURER.
(For the Year ending May 31st, 1894.)
Balance on hand June 1st, 1893, .
Investments paid oft" or sold,
Temple Fund investments sold, .
Life Membership, Daniel Baugh,
Bequest of George S. Pepper,
Chapman Biddle Memorial Scholarship,
Mortgage, Broad and Pine streets,
Temporary Loan, .....
Centennial Board of Finance,
Proceeds of sale No. 1336 Spring Garden street,
Loan for purchases at Chicago,
Annual Contributions, .....
Appropriation from Temple Fund income :
Balance Scholarship 1892-1893, .
Museum Exhibit, ....
Donations — Purchase property Broad and Pine,
Interest on mortgage, ....
Sundry purposes, .....
Purchase Lace Exhibit, Chicago, .
Income — Temple Fund, .....
Endowment Fund, .....
Graff Architectural Prize Fund,
State appropriations, .....
City " Park commission, .
Tuition fees, .......
Proceeds of sales Countess di Brazza book, .
Proceeds of sales Photographs, etc.,
Return insurance premiums, ....
— #46i,359 53
Investment for Endowment Fund, . . . . . 15,251 54
Temple Fund Income :
Balance, Scholarships 1892-1883, . . . 120 00
Museum Exhibit, 1,282 29
Centennial Board of Finance :
Repaid advance from Endowment Fund, 11,000 00
Expenses, 109 95
1336 Spring Garden street ;
Paid mortgage held by Endowment Fund, 4,000 00
Expenses, 308 95
Expenses of School, 57,838 04
Expenses of Museum, ..... J 3,459 x 4
General Expenses, ...... L489 63
Museum Exhibits, 1,735 9^
Museum purchases at Chicago, .... 2,958 69
Lace Exhibition of 1894, 468 56
Lace purchases, ....... 616 20
Mortgage Broad and Pine paid off, . . . 350,000 00
Balance on hand May 31st, 1894, . . . 720 58
CONTRIBUTIONS FOR PURCHASE OF PROPERTY, BROAD AND
Philip C. Garrett,
Mrs. Thomas Hockley,
Dr. Roland G. Curtin, .
Hugh DeHaven, .
Miss Julia A. Myers,
Murta & Appleton,
Mrs. Elias D. Kennedy,
Dr. Isaac Norris, .
Associate Commitee of Women,
Charles D. Barney,
Mrs. W. W. Gibbs,
CONTRIBUTIONS FOR GENERAL PURPOSES.
Clarence E. Moore, ........ $300 00
Miss Bache, 5 00
Mrs. William Pearsall, ....... 5 00
John S. Jenks, 200 00
CONTRIBUTIONS FOR INTEREST ON MORTGAGE THROUGH
ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN.
Mrs. Joseph Harrison, $150 00
Miss Anna Blanchard, 100 00
Mrs E. E. Denniston, 100 00
Mrs. John Harrison, . . . . . . . . 25 00
Mr. John Harrison, ........ 25 00
Mr. George C. Boldt, 50 00
Mrs. Charles Hacker, 50 00
Mrs. Robert Lennox Kennedy, ...... 25 00
Mr. John A. Brown, ' 25 00
Mr. Howard Wood, 25 00
Mr. E. F. Kingsley, 10 00
Mr. Stephen Farrelly, 25 00
Mr. Clement McCune, ........ 5 00
Miss E. J. Magee, 50 00
Miss A. J. Magee, 50 00
Miss F. S. Magee, 1 00 00
Cash, . . . 5 00
Mr. C. Wilmer Middleton, 50 00
Mrs. Wm. Weightman, Jr. , . . . . . . . 300 00
Mrs. George K. Crozer, 100 00
Offertory at Museum for purchases at Chicago, . . . $165 56
Through Miss Blanchard — A Friend, for principal of mortgage, 1,000 00
Maxwell Sommerville, for printing annual report, . . 100 00
Henry Hobart Brown, for School, ..... 1,000 00
Numismatic Society, '' ..... 100 00
Sundries " . . . . . 316 90
CONTRIBUTIONS FOR PURCHASE OF LACE EXHIBIT AT CHICAGO.
Mrs. Edward S. Willing, $25 00
Mrs. John Harrison, 1 00 OO
Associate Committee of Women, . . . . . . 100 00
Mrs. Owen J. Wister, 25 00
Carried forward, . . . . . ■ . $250 00
Miss Mary C. Dulles, .
Miss Martha M. Brown,
Mrs. William T. Carter,
Miss Fannie Rosengarten,
Mrs. John Farr Weightman,
Miss Juliana Wood,
Mrs. M. H. Messchert,
Mrs. Alexander B. Coxe,
Mrs. Travis Cochran, .
Mrs. Charles Wheeler, .
Mrs. William Piatt Pepper,
Miss Nina Lea,
Mrs. S. Weir Mitchell,
Mrs. Beauveau Borie, .
Mrs. Emma Tower Reilly,
Mrs. Clarence H. Clark,
Mrs. Helen C. Denniston,
Mrs. Thomas McKean,
Mrs. Louis C. Norris, .
Mrs. Thomas Roberts, .
(For Seven Months Ending December 31st, 1894).
Balance on hand May 31, 1894, $72038
Tuition fees, ........... 9,060 00
State appropriation, .......... 7,5°° °°
City appropriation, Park Commission, ...... 5,561 91
Temple Fund income, ......... I ,°93 7°
Endowment Fund income, . . ...... 2,627 15
Weightman Scholarship income, ....... 30 00
Graff Architectural Prize Fund income, . . . . . . 12 50
Chapman Biddle Scholarship income, ...... 8 33
Mrs. Robert K. McNeely, $100 00
Mr. Robert K. McNeely, 100 00
Miss Florence McNeely, 100 00
Annuals, .......... 1,000 00
CONTRIBUTIONS: INTEREST ON MORTGAGE.
Through Associate Committee of Women.
Miss Agnes Irwin, ...... . . $30 00
Miss Margaret Corlies, ....... 5 00
Dr. Louis Jack, . . . . . . . . 25 00
Dr. J. M. DaCosta, 10 00
Associate Committee of Women, ..... 1,000 00
B. Frank Clapp, ........ 10 00
Mrs. M. F. Kemble, ....... .100 co
Mrs. C. W. Bergner, . . . . . . . 100 00
■ 1,280 00
Mr. Joseph Morwitz, $ 50 00
Burnham, Parry, Williams Company, .... 500 00
John M. Sharpless & Co., ... .... 250 00
Mr. Clement B. Moore, . 300 00
Carried forward, ....... $30,893 97
Brought forward, . ...... $3°,893 97
Mr. Charles Piatt, for building Broad and Pine Streets, . loo oo
Associate Committee of Women, for painting hall, . . 25 oo
Mrs. Elizabeth Hampton, value of articles left by her to
Museum, which her heirs wished to retain, ... 15 00
Mrs. Bloomfield Moore, to refund expenses incurred on
some of her pictures, ...... 205 00
Contributions for School :
Henry Hobart Brown, ... ... $1,000 00
Sundries, . 158 37
l > l & 37
Numismatic Society for expenses incurred for them at Mu-
seum, ......... 80 00
Temporary loan, ....... . 26,000 00
• 7,877 86
General Expenses, .
Graff Architectural Prize,
Temporary Loans paid off,
. 23,000 00
Balance on hand December 31st,
• 1,327 95
#58,477 34 #58,477 34
REPORT OF THE
ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN.
The close of the year 1894 finds us not only satisfied with our In-
stitution but more than ever convinced of the necessity of its existence.
In reaching this conclusion we are guided not only by our own con-
viction, but by the opinions of those better able to judge of it than we
are ourselves For several years we have had through gifts to the
School of machinery, etc., abundant evidence of the estimation in
which it is held in this part of our country, and during the past year,
men of Science, visitors to the School from foreign countries, from
New York, Massachusetts and the West, have left behind them ample
testimony that we are doing most satisfactorily a much needed work.
The following extract from a newspaper published in Columbia,
Georgia, shows that our School is thoroughly understood and appre-
ciated in the South :
" Foremost among such schools, and of special interest to South-
ern men, is the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art, at
Philadelphia, which numbers among its many departments a textile
school which is not only the first school of its kind to be established
in America in point of time, but is undoubtedly one of the two or
three first-class schools in the world in point of excellence of equip-
ment and thoroughness of methods. The school is modelled, as far
as it owes its character to any European precedent, on the great Gov-
ernment Schools of Germany and France, although, with the excep-
tion of an extremely modest subsidy from the State of Pennsylvania,
it is conducted without public support by the efforts of public spirited
individuals. It has not even a handsome endowment from some
wealthy patron as has been the case with several other schools, but
represents rather the faithful and unselfish service of a number of phil-
anthropic men and women who feel that it represents a movement of
vast importance, which must be carried on by this consecration of in-
dividual effort until it is recognized by the State, or receives an ample
endowment from some other source.
" The School is fitted with appliances for the actual production of
every conceivable fabric that is made in the loom; carding, spinning,
weaving, dyeing, finishing; these are the operations at which the
pupils assist daily while they are pursuing their studies in science or
art that are tributary to success in industrial life. Their chemistry,
for which a spacious and well-furnished laboratory is provided, is the
chemistry of the dye house and the fulling mill j the mathematics in
which they are trained, is the mathematics of the mechanical engineer
and the mill superintendent ; their art is the art of the designer, which
is identical with the method of its application and which expresses it-
self not only on paper but in the stuff itself."
Such is the testimony given to our School from those outside our
The talents of our young people are entrusted to us all ; let us
never forget that if those talents lie buried, the reproach of their
burial will rest not with those to whom God gave them, but with the
people of this Commonwealth and city, whose duty it is to foster and
encourage the abilities of our rising generation ; and to whom we now
earnestly appeal for help to strengthen the hands of the men and
women having this work in charge.
Already some of our graduates are Superintendents in many
factories; some engaged as managers, as chemists, and as designers,
instead of standing before looms under the direction of foreigners.
This is our present reward and we hope the time is not far distant
when our manufactured goods will be exported to other countries,
thus giving emphasis to the doctrine held by some that the surest
road to '' Protection " is by so instructing our youth that they may be-
come thoroughly well equipped artisans and honest citizens.
We, the members of the Associate Committee of Women, feeling
in a great degree responsible for the purchase of the large building in
which the School now finds its home, and having by our own exertions
gathered a large part of the purchase money for the same, are also in-
terested in securing means for the payment of the sum remaining on
mortgage, principal and interest.
Individually and collectively we are at all times working for the
benefit of the Institution. An amateur theatrical entertainment was
given in the spring, suggested by Mrs. Weightman, and the generosity
of our Treasurer, Mrs. Moulton, placed at our disposal for a garden
party, her country home in June last. Part of the proceeds of these
two entertainments was used for necessary alterations to the School.
On the 13th of December, the Carnival of Nations was given at the
Academy of Music. The profits of these entertainments will be seen
by the report of the Treasurer.
By order of the Committee,
FANNY S. MAGEE,
At a Stated Meeting of the Associate Committee of the Pennsyl-
vania Museum and School of Industrial Art, held on January 18th, the
following resolution was passed :
We, the members of the Associate Committee of the Pennsylvania
Museum and School of Industrial Art, desire to put upon record our
sincere sorrow at the removal from her earthly labors of our late co-
worker, Mrs. Frederick R. Shelton.
We tender to her husband and sons our sincere sympathy in their
We also wish to further add the testimony as to our sense of ap-
preciation of her valued services rendered to the organization of the
Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art.
Her conscientious work as Secretary of the Associate Committee
of Women, her untiring efforts for every detail committed to her care,
until her resignation was imperative owing to other duties.
In certain parts of the work it will be difficult to fill her place.
E. D. Gillespie,
Elizabeth B. Roberts,
Sarah Morris Ogden,
Fannie S. Magee,
Sec. of A. C. IV.
Elizabeth R. Moulton, treasurer, in account with the Associate
Committee of Women of the Pennsylvania Museum and School of In-
To Balance, $132 07
Forty-four ten dollar Subscriptions, ....... 440 00
Fifty-four five-dollar Subscriptions, ....... 270 00
One fifteen dollar Subscription, 15 00
Interest on Mortgage, ......... 775 00
Theatricals, Berlitz School, ........ 455 00
Garden Party, 1,911 92
Carnival of Nations, 6,932 85
Interest on deposit, . . . . . . . , . . 10 50
Fines, 9 00
By Robert K. McNeely, Treasurer, $6 525 o°
Carnival of Nations, 2 y2 82
Garden Party, 167 i->
Alterations at School, 698 21
Stationery, . . . . . . . _ _ _ _ 75 00
Prizes, 5 o 00
Printing 4 00
Balance on hand, .......... 699 08
THE ASSOCIATE COMMITTEE OF WOMEN.
Received towards payment of interest on mortgage of the School building, Broad
and Pine Streets, in 1894:
From Mrs. C. William Bergner, ........ $100 00
Mrs. Joseph Harrison, . . . . . . . . . 150 00
Miss Magee, 100 00
The Misses Magee, 100 00
Mrs. Denniston, 100 00
Mrs. William Weightman, 300 00
Mrs. George K. Crozer, ......... 100 00
Miss Blanchard, 100 00
Mrs. Howard Wood, ......... 25 00
Mrs. John Harrison, . . . . . . . . . . 25 00
Mr. John Harrison, .......... 25 00
Mr. George C. Boldt, . . . . . . . . . 50 00
Mrs. Charles Hacker, ......... 50 00
Mrs. Robert L. Kennedy, 25 00
Mr. John A. Brown, ' 25 00
' Mr. R. F. Kingsley, 10 00
' Mr. S. Farrelly, 25 00
' Mr. C. McCune, 5 00
' Mr. C. Wilmer Middleton, 50 00
' Cash, 5 00
A Friend (through Miss Blanchard, towards paying principal of mort-
gage), $1000 00
THE PENNSYLVANIA MUSEUM
SCHOOL OF INDUSTRIAL ART.
LIST OF PATRONS, LIFE MEMBERS,
ANNUAL AND HONORARY MEMBERS.
Persons who may wish to become members are invited to send their name and
address to the Secretary. Blank forms of Devise and Bequest will be found upon
page 47. A check to the order of the Treasurer will be promptly acknowledged.
Patrons, Donors of Five Thousand Dollars and upward,
whether in money or objects for the Museum.
Life Membership, One Hundred Dollars.
Annual Membership, .... A subscription of not less than Five Dollars.
Honorary Membership, . . . Those who, on account of their interest in In-
dustrial Art Education or the fine Arts, shall
be deemed worthy of election.
" All funds received from Patrons (unless otherwise specifically given) and from
Life Membership shall be permanently invested as part of the Endowment Fund." — ■
*Baird, John Garrett, W. E., Jr.
*Barton, Mrs. Susan R. *Gibson, Henry C.
Bloomfield-Moore, Mrs. Houston, H. H.
*Childs, George W. Lea, Henry C.
Disston, Henry & Sons Scott, Mrs. Thomas A.
*Drexel, A. J. Weightman, William
*Drexel, F. A. Whitney, A. & Sons
Allen, Joseph, Jr.
Baeder, Adamson & Co.
Bailey, Joel J.
Baird, Mrs. Matthew
Baker, John R.
Baker, W. S.
Barclay, R. D
Barclay, Mrs. R. D.
*Bartol, B. H.
Bartol, H. W.
*Bickley, H. W.
Biddle, Miss A. E.
*Biddle, Mrs. Chapman
*Biddle, Walter L. C.
Blanchard, Miss A.
Blanchard, Miss H.
Blanchard, Miss M.
*Borie, C. & H.
Bowen & Fox
Burnham, Parry, Williams & Co.
Butcher, Henry C.
Butcher, Mrs. H. C.
♦Caldwell, J. E.
Caldwell, J. E. & Co.
Campbell, Mrs. St. George T.
*Carter, W. T.
Carver, W. Burton
Cassatt, A. J.
Catherwood, H. W.
*Claghorn, James L.
Claghorn, J. Raymond
Clark, Charles D.
Clark, Clarence H.
Clark, E. W.
*Clark, J. Hinckley
Coates, Edward H.
Coffin, Altemus & Co.
Coleman, B. Dawson
*Coleman, Mrs. G. Dawson
Coleman, Edward P.
Coles, Miss Mary
Colket, C. Howard
Collins, H. H.
Cooper, John H.
*Cope, Caleb ■
Cornelius & Sons
«Cresson, W. P.
Crozer, George K.
Crozer, Mrs. George K.
Crozer, I. Lewis
*Cuyler, Mrs. Theodore
Dick, Mrs. F. A.
*Disston, Albert H.
Disston, Mrs. II. C.
Dobbins, R. J.
Dobson, John & James
Dolan, Thomas & Co.
Dreer, F. J.
Duhring, Mrs. Henry
Eddystone Manufacturing Co.
*Fenimore, Edward L.
Fox, Miss Mary D.
*Fuguet, Stephen O.
Garrett, Miss E.
Garrett, Miss J.
Garrett, P. C.
Garrett, Mrs. Walter
Gibson, Miss R.
*Gowen, Franklin B.
Graff, Mrs. Frederic
Hagstoz & Thorpe
Harrison, A. C.
Harrison, Havemeyer & Co.
Harrison, Mrs. Joseph
Harrison, Thomas S.
*Heberton, G. Craig
Hill, George W.
*Hockley, Miss Annie E.
Hockley, Miss Mary
Hockley, Mrs. Thomas
* Hockley, William Stevenson
*Horstmann, F. O.
Horstmann, W. H. & Sons
Houston, Mrs. H. H.
*Hughes, J. O.
Hunter, James & John
Iungerich & Smith
*James, John O.
Jayne, David and Sons
Justice, Bateman & Co.
*Justice, Miss Cecilia
Justice, Miss E. B.
Justice, William W.
Justice, Mrs. William W.
Klemm, Mrs. Maria L.
*Knight, Edwd. C.
Lee, Mrs. Leighton
*Lewis, Edwin M.
Lewis, Richard A.
Little, Amos R.
Little, Amos R. & Co.
*Lovering, Joseph S.
Lovering, Joseph S., Jr.
McNeely, Miss Florence
McNeely, Robert K.
McNeely, Mrs. Robert K.
Merrick, Miss E. H.
Merrick, J. Vaughan
Merrick, Miss L. W.
Merrick, Mrs. S. V.
Merrick, William H.
Miles, Mrs. M. L.
*Morris, P. Pemberton
Murphy, Frank W.
*Newbold, John S.
Newbold, Mrs. John S.
Norris, Isaac, Jr.
Page, Joseph F.
* Patterson, Joseph
*Pepper, George S.
*Pepper, Lawrence S.
Pepper, William, M.D.
Pepper, William Piatt
••Phillips, Henry M.
Porter & Coates
-Poultney, Charles W.
Powers, Mrs. Thomas H.
Price, Eli K., Jr.
Provident Life and Trust Co.
* Randolph, Evan
Randolph & Jenks
*Rhoads, Miss Elizabeth
*Roberts, Jacob, M.D.
Rogers, C. H.
♦Rogers, W. D.
Scott, James P.
♦Scott, Mrs. James P
Scull, D. & Co.
♦Sharpless, Charles S.
Shelton, F. H.
Shelton, Frederic R.
♦Shelton, Mrs. F. R.
Shortridge, N. Parker
Smith, Charles E.
Solms, S. J.
♦Steele, Edward T.
Steele, E. T. k Co.
Stevenson, Mrs. Cornelius
Strawbridge, J. C.
Sweatman, V. C.
Tait, Mrs. C. G.
♦Temple, Joseph E.
Thomas, S. Harvey
Thropp, Mrs. Joseph E.
Townsend, Mrs. H. C.
Tyler, George F.
♦Vaux, William S.
* Wagner, Mrs. T.
Warden, W. G.
Warner, Redwood F.
Weightmann, Miss Annie W.
Weightman, Miss Mary L.
Weightman, Jr., Mrs. William
•s- Wheeler, Charles
Whitall, Tatum & Co.
♦White, Samuel S.
Williams, Edward H.
W T ood, William & Co.
Wright, Edward N.
♦Wright, James A.
Wright, John W.
Wurtz, Charles Stewart, M.D.
Annual Members (for 1894) who have subscribed not less than ten
Bement, Clarence S., . .
Biddle, Cadwalader, . .
Brazier, Joseph H., . .
Borie, Mrs. Henry, . .
Brown, Miss Martha M.,
Brown, T. Wistar, . . .
Buehler, Mrs. William G.
Burnham, Mrs. William,
Cadwalader,' Mrs. John,
Caldwell. J. E. & Co., .
Chandler, T. P., Jr., . .
Clark, Miss Frances, . .
Cochran, Travis, ....
Cochran, Mrs. Travis, .
Coles, Edward, ....
Coxe, Alexander B., . .
Coxe, Eckley B., . . . .
Cramp, Charles H., . . .
Cramp, Henry W., . . .
Da Costa, Dr. J. M., . .
Denniston, Mrs. E. E., .
Dickson, Samuel, . . .
Durant, Mrs. F. C, . . .
Eisenbrey, Mrs W. H., .
Ellison, Mrs. Rodman B.
Felton, Mrs. Samuel M.,
Galloway, William, . .
Gillespie, Mrs. E. D., . .
Gillingham, Joseph E., .
Gowen, Mrs. Francis I., .
Graff, Miss Henrietta, .
Gratz, Miss Elizabeth, .
Guillou, Victor, ....
Hamilton, W. C, ...
Hance Brothers & White
Harris, Mrs. J. Campbell
Harrison, Mrs. Joseph, .
Heberton, Mrs. G. Craig,
Hippie, Frank K., . . .
Hutchinson, Miss, . . .
Jack, Dr. Louis, ....
Jayne, Mrs. David, . . .
Jayne, Dr. Horace, . . .
Jenks, Mrs. Win. H., 2 years
Keen, Dr. W. W., . . .
Keith, Sidney W., . . .
Kennedy, Mrs. Elias D.,
Leonard, James B., . . .
Lewis, Miss Bertha, M.D.
Lewis, Edward, ....
Lewis, Enoch, . . ■ . .
Lewis, Dr. F. W., . . .
Lewis, Robert M., . .
Lippincott, Mrs. Craige
Lippincott, Mrs. Horace G
Lippincott, Mrs. Joshua,
Lovering, Mrs. Joseph S
Mackellar, Thomas .
Magee, Miss Anna, . .
Magee, Miss Eliza, J
Magee, Miss Fannie S.
Magee, Horace, . . .
Mason, Frederick T., .
Moulton, Mrs. Byron P
McMurtrie, Miss Ellen,
Neall, Frank L., . . .
Newhall, George M., .
Pancoast, Albert, . .
Pancoast, Mrs. Albert, 2
Paul, Dr. Tames W., .
Paul, Miss M. W., . .
Pepper, David, . . .
Piatt, Franklin, . . .
Powers, Mrs. Thomas H
Price, J. Sergeant, . .
Randolph, Mrs. Evan,
Reilly. Mrs. T. A., . .
Ritchie, Craig D., .
Roberts, Miss E. C, .
Roberts, Miss F. A., .
Roberts, Mrs. George B.
Roberts, Mrs. Thomas,
Rodman, Mrs. Lewis, .
Rosengarten, J. G., . .
Rowland, Mrs Benjamin,
Shober, Mrs. Samuel L.,
Sinnott, Mrs. Joseph F., .
Smith, Miss Christiana B.
Smith, Edward Brinton,
Smyth, Mrs. Samuel, . .
Stille, Dr. Charles J., . .
Thomson, Mrs. J. Edgar,
Townsend, Henry C, . .
Weightman, Mrs. John Farr,
Welsh, John Lowber, ...
Welsh, Mrs. John Lowber,
Wheeler, Mrs. Charles, 3 year:
Wilson, Joseph M.,
Wirgman, Mrs. Charles,
Wistar, Mrs. Caspar, .
Wood, Mrs. Howard, .
Wood, Miss Juliana, .
Wright, Mrs. Robert K
Wyeth, Stuart, ...
Annual Members (for 1894)
five dollars :
r ho have subscribed not less than
Ashhurst, Richard L., ...
Ashhurst, Mrs. Richard L., .
Bartol, Mrs. C. C,
Bartol, Henry G.,
Bergner, Mrs. C. William, . .
Bergner, Miss Catherine, . .
Bigelow, Mrs. S. Lawrence, .
Carter, Mrs.William T., . . .
Clark, Miss Amie Hampton,
Clark, Mrs. C. Howard, . .
Cohen, Miss Mary M., . . .
Colket, G. L ,
Colton, S. W. (2 years), . . .
Corlies, Miss Margaret L., . .
Cresswell, Miss Elizabeth P.,
Curtin, Mrs. Roland G., . .
Dana, Charles E ,
Dana, Mrs. Charles E., . . .
Day. Frank Miles
De Haven, Mrs. Holstein,
Denniston, Miss Amy, . . .
Denniston, Arthur C, ...
Dissel, Mrs. Charles
Dixon, Mrs. George Dallas, .
Durant, Miss Ethel, ....
Eisenbrey, Miss Alice Edith,
Eisenbrey, Miss Sarah H.,
Garden, W. Morton, ....
Gest, Mrs. William, ....
Hallowell, Mrs. S. F. C, . . . $5 00
Harrison, John, 5 00
Harrison, Mrs. John, 5 00
Harrison, Miss Maud S., . . . 5 00
Howell, Charles H 5 00
Keen, Frank H., ...... 5 00
Lee, Mrs. Richard Henry, . . 5 00
Mortwitz, Joseph, Jr., .... 5 00
Nichols, W. J., 5 00
Norris, Miss Clara G., .... 5 00
Norton, Mrs. Charles D., . . . 5 00
Ogden, Mrs. Edward H., . • . 5 00
Pepper, Mrs. John W., .... 5 00
Randolph, Miss Anna, .... 5 00
Randolph, Miss Elizabeth J., 5 00
Reath, Mrs. Theodore Wood, . 5 00
Reyburn, Mrs. W. S., . . . .5 00
Roberts, Mrs. Harry, 5 00
Roberts, Thomas, 5 00
Roberts, Thomas, Jr., .... 5 00
Rogers, Miss Mary (2 years), . 10 00
Simpson, Mrs. William, ... 5 00
Siter, Mrs. J. Hollingsworth, . 5 00
Smith, Harrison Hoxie, ... 5 00
Smith, Mrs. W. Hinckle, ... 5 00
Walker, Mrs. R. J. C, .... 5 00
Williams, Mrs. P'rancis Howard, 5 00
Winpenny, Mrs J. Bolton, . . 5 00
Wright, Joseph (2 years), . . . 10 00
Zell, Miss H. A., 5 00
Knowles Loom Works, Worcester, Mass.
C. H. Hutchins, President Knowles Loom Works.
Crompton Loom Works, Worcester, Mass.
Mrs. M. C. Crompton, President Crompton Loom Works.
Horace Wyman, Vice-President Crompton Loom Works.
Justin A. Ware, Treasurer Crompton Loom Works.
Lorenzo Maynard, Maynard, Mass.
J. C. Cochran, President Charlottesville Manufacturing Co.
James Boyd, Philadelphia.
FORM OF BEQUEST.
I give and bequeath unto the Pennsylvania Museum and School
of Industrial Art the sum of
dollars, for the use of the said Corporation.
FORM OF DEVISE OF REAL ESTATE.
I give and devise unto the Pennsylvania Museum and School of
Industrial Art, its successors and assigns, all that certain \]iere insert a
description of the property^ for the use of the said Corporation.