■v^ " 1 l-^J
^^^ ■'^ '^^^
'^ ^-^/ " A'^ "W^ '^^^"» ^^/ »^^'- V^^
= « o •^' ^V^
o,. " . /
X. >°.-^i^"- Av;z^^\. rP^.^^"%% .^^ --'-
^^^.^ oV'^^^"^ -,v^^ :^^^ -^^oV :^^a; -h^^
CAPT. SAMUEL FLINT
BY D. WEBSTER KING
THIRTEENTH ANNUAL REPORT
PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1908 — 1909.
INCORPORATED AUGUST 15, 1896.
CAPTAIN SAMUEL FLINT
BY D. WEBSTER KING.
READ BEFORE THE PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, 19th APRIL, iJ
Of the Flints who served in the War of the Revolution, history records
but two as citizens of Dauvers, Samuel and William. These were descend-
ants respectively of two brothers, Thomas and William, who emigrated to
Salem probably previous to 1640. It is apparently well established that they
came from the maritime town of Flint, Flintshire, in the extreme northern
portion of Wales.
On the rocky coast close by the shore, stand the ruins of the ancient
castle of Flint, said to have been built by Edward the First. This castle is
historic as being the place where Percy betrayed Richard II to Bolingbroke
in 1399, who put him in the tower of Loudon, where he died. It is not said
of what disease or if he had medical attendance. Let us hope that he died
of natural causes. After the death of Richard, Bolingbroke was crowned as
Henry IV, King of England. In 1643 the castle surrendered to the
Roundheads and four years after, was dismantled by order of the House of
Commons. The old castle ruins even now show it to have been no mean cit-
adel, but a strong fortress of defence, with a moat and other preparations
for resolute resistance. Mr. David B. Flint of Boston, one of the descend-
ants of Thomas Flint, has in his possession a fine old painting of
this old castle. It was said to have been the abode of those who
were likely to be in rebellion against the government of the times. These
were evidently in favor of Free Trade and had no marked respect for
the revenue of the Crown. Surely they were not high Protectionists. The
railroad from Chester to Holyhead runs very near to the ruins, a huge
pile of rocks, the only ruins of the kind on the coast. The town was
once a flourishing seaport, but like many others the old harbor has been
filled with sand so that it now only has a depth for small vessels.
Without doubt the early ancestors of Thomas and William Flint were a
hardy set, full well accustomed to warfare of the roughest andbloodiestkind.
Whatever may have been the degree of loyalty of the English ancestors,
it is evident that their descendants in 1775 held slight respect for British
I have no record of Wm, Flint's connection with the Battle of Lexing-
ton, but he was one of the soldiers from Danvers engaged in the Revolution-
The actual date of the arrival of Thomas Flint in Salem is not known.
The first mention made of him in the town Records of Salem was in 1650. He
was among the first settlers in Salem Village, which embraced the original
town of Danvers. His estates comprised land formerly belonging to the
farms owned by the late Thomas Flint of Boston, and by the late Daniel P.
King, situated in that part of Danvers now known as West Peabody.
The original homestead built by this first emigrant was occupied by
Thomas Flint, a prominent Boston merchant, as a summer residence, with
his children and grandchildren at the time of its destruction by fire, June
16th, 1874 ; the parties then occupying it, being of the 6th, 7th and 8th gener-
atious. The estate is now (1898) owned by Wra. P. Upham, Esq. The
emigrant's first son was Thomas, a farmer and a carpenter, who lived on the
homestead. He was actively identified in the military organizations of the
time. He was in King Phillip's War, and was wounded in the expedition
against the Narragansetts in 1675. He afterward held several military com-
missions, was an active promoter in establishing the church at Salem Vil-
lage, and as an evidence of his prominence as a builder, he was selected to
build the first meeting-house there. He married Ede, the daughter of Joseph
and Mary Upton. His son Samuel was born in 1693 and inherited his fath-
er's estate. He was Chairman of the Committee to petition the General
Court that the village might be set off from Salem ; was one of the first Board
of Selectmen of Danvers and throughout his life was much engaged in pub-
lic service as an influential, useful and worthy citizen.
Capt. Si-MUEi. Flint, second son of Samuel, was born April 9th,1733. He
was in command of one of the seven companiesfrom Danvers which answered
to their country's call in the hour of peril, April 19th, 1775. After this bat-
tle it was reported that the action had been severe with much loss of life to
the men from Danvers; the anxiety, the anguish and the dread of those
hours of uncertainty have been too often repeated in our own generation and
for like causes, to need emphasis in an audience like this. It was rumored
that Capt. Flint was among the slain and his return to his family and friends
was a joyful surprise. He was however destined to die a soldier's death.
"For eight months he was engaged in the leaguer of Boston. On the 7th of
October, 1777, at Stillwater, he was slain at the head of his company. It was
one of the severest actions of the war and the last of the series which re-
sulted in the capture of Ihirgoyne's army, the most decisive event in the
momentous struggle. This was no false rumor. His friends received mel-
ancholy tokens, which they could not mistake;" these were his belt, perfo-
rated with a bullet and crimsoned with his heart's blood, also his sword and
watch. An officer once asked him where he should find him ou a certain
occasion. His reply was worthy the proudest days of Sparta; "Where the
enemy is there will you find me."
His first Lieutenant, Herrick, of Beverly, was killed in the same battle.
Captain Flint was probably the only commissioned officer from Danvers,
killed in the Revolution. The sword which he wore at the time of his death
is now in my possession. It was preserved with great care until the original
homestead, built by the first emigrant, Thomas Flint, about 1650, was de-
stroyed by fire, June 16, 1874. It was taken from the cellar of the old house
after the fire, in its present condition. I also have a sword which belonged
to Capt. Samuel Flint but which was not carried at the battle of Stillwater,
though it may have been carried at the battle of Lexington. This last weapon
is in a much battered condition, having been to my certain knowledge the
plaything of some of his descendants and used in vigorous onslaughts upon
mulleins and other noxious weeds supposed for the time to be British sol-
Major Elijah Flint was the second son of Capt. Samuel Flint, and inher-
ited the homestead. The third son, Capt. Hezekiah Flint, inherited that
portion of the homestead afterward owned by Daniel P. King, and built the
house now standing there and owned by Captain George W. Taylor. In early
life he quitted the occupation of farmer to engage in the more active em-
ployment of a mariner. He made many voyages as Master to Denmark,
Sweden and Kussia, also to the West Indies. When in command of the
schooner "Scynthia" in 1794, he was captured on a voyage from the Wind-
ward Islands by a Bermudian Privateer who put on board eight men and took
out the mate and three seamen belonging to the schooner, leaving on board,
of the original crew, only Capt. Flint and his carpenter. They succeeded,
when the Privateers were below deck, in nailing down the hatchways, thug
confining the prize master and his men in the cabin, while he and his com-
panion, after 14 days passage, brought the schooner to Martha's Vineyard.
In the meantime they were compelled to sleep on deck. He thus illustrated
that he possessed the energy and characteristics of his father.
Capt. Hezekiah Flint married Sally Putnam, the daughter of Tarrant
and Sarah (Page) Putnam. Tarrant Putnam was born in Danvers, Feb. 8th,
1743, and was graduated at Harvard College in 1763. He was one of the
minute-men engaged in the Battle of Lexington in the company under the
command of Deacon Edmond Putnam. He was Ensign in the same company
and afterwards Adjutant in the army, and died of disease which he con-
tracted in the service. Sarah, the wife of Tarrant Putnam, was daughter of
Col. Jeremiah Page of Danvers, also of Revolutionary fame.
Hezekiah Flint's daughter, Sarah Page, married Daniel Putnam King,
and their children and grandchildren are his only descendants.
THE BATTLE OF STILLWATER.
The engagements preceding the surrender of Burgoyne, October 17, 1777,
equally well known as the first and second battles of "Stillwater," "Bemis'
Heights," "Freeman's Farm," or "Saratoga," occurred on September 19, and
October 7, 1777.
Many Massachusetts men were present; among them. Captain Samuel
Flint, from our own town, who lost his life at this time.
The Broadside, describing the first battle of Stillwater, was therefore of
special interest to the relatives and friends of soldiers from this vicinity. It
was preserved in the family of Nathaniel and Rebecca (Harwood) Newhall,
and passed through their daughter Sally, who married Jacob Galeucia, to
their daughter Charity Bancroft, whose daughter, Elizabeth O. Bancroft, pre-
sented it to the Historical Society.
The Broadside was printed by Ezekiel Russell, the first printer in Dan-
vers, in the Bell Tavern, on the south east corner of what is now Washington
and Main streets.^f"!'^ civ.
Frefh ADVICES from the Nobthern
DANVERS, Friday, September 27, 1777.
Twelve o'clock at Noon. We are favored by
New-Hampf hire Exprefs, with the following im-
portant Hand-bill, publifhed by Authority at
Boston this Morning.
BOSTON, September 26, 1777.
Laft Evening a Gentleman arrived here from Pro-
vidence, by whom we are favored with the following:
PROVIDENCE, September 25, 1777.
The following Intelligence was laft Night received
here, in a Hand-Bill from Connecticut.
Norwich, Tuofday Evening, 7 o'Clock
In Council at Lebanon, Sept. 23.
By Ml-. Brown, this Moment arrived from the Nor-
thern Army, wo have the following authen-
/^N Friday the 19tli Inft. the American army lay en-
camped four miles above Stillwater, on Behraus's
heifjlits, the weft fide of Hudfon's River; the enemy at
Van Veghten's mills, feven miles north. At one o'clock,
P. M. the advanced guard of our army, compofed of
Morgan's corps of rifllemen from Virginia, and detachments
from the other corps ported about one mile and a half
in front of the army, were attacked by three regiments
of Britifh troops, and after an obftinate difpute obliged
the enemy to give way, with confiderable lofs. At
three o'clock, the enemy being reinforced, renewed the
attack ; our troops being at the fame time fupported
by the left wing of the army, confifting of the whole of
General Arnold's divifion received them warmly; and
though the enemy brought on their whole force, againft
not more than half ours, maintained their ground until
night, when both parties retired.
The lofs of the enemy, killed, wounded and prifo-
ners (who are about fifty) amounts to near a thou-
fand. Our killed are one hundred, wounded one
hundred and fifty, prifoners none. The enemy had
two pieces of artillery in the action, one of which was
taken by us, and retaken four different times, the enemy
finally keeping it.
A general engagement was expected the next day, but
did not take place. Deferters fay that Gen. Burgoyne
is wounded in the fmall of his back. They likewise fay
that they were informed in general orders that Gen.
Lincoln had arrived at Fort Edward with fix thoufand
men, by which all hope of retreat being cut off, it re-
mained for them only to conquer or perifh.
A detachment of 500 men were fent, the 13th, from
General Lincoln's divifion, lying then at Paulet, near
Skeenfboro, under the command of Colonel Brown, to
attack the enemy at the landing of Lake George, 3 miles
from Ticonderoga, with a view to retake our prifoners
and deftroy the enemy's ftores: Another detachment of
equal number, under the command of Colonel Johnfton,
marched the fame day for Mount Independence, to
divert the enemy's attention from Colonel Brown: thefe
parties have orders (if they find it practicable) to attack
Ticonderoga and the Mount, and endeavor to poffefs
themfelves of them. Colonel Woodbridge, with an
equal detachment marched at the fame time for
Skeenfborough, Fort-Ann, and Fort Edward : all
which places the enemy had evacuated, and collected
their whole force at the grand army.
The day after the action near Stillwater, General
Gates was joined by two hundred Oneida Indians, who,
with the riflemen, were detached the evening of the
20th, to give information of the enemy's fituation, and
to attack their out pofts. The whole army expected
to follow them early the 21ft.
Lieutenant-Colonels Adams and Colbourn of our
troops were killed, and feveral other officers of inferior
rank. The militia from this State were in the action,
and it is with pleasure we ai'e informed, that they be-
haved on the occafion with a bravery becoming
FKEKUEN. Publifhed by order of the Council.
By ^■fr. Bruwn, i!,
them A^vtr. ■
ON Fri% il,c .
camptdt'our n^-, < /
heighls, the ten He ,<, ]
VaaVrgVilcn-SDiilU, ff n
■p. M. the adv jncwt ■' r
fr^m the other c .»;> i..>.;^
infromofthc iirrn\. \» ,^-
of BriiiCii t
' tke ene^nv
tht«c o'clock, ttiv -ncr
altack; out ttoiii'-- 1 .
General AmcWs .-
.t, «■( c
tl..^p, uc.e liilled,.ao4 lcv„3l ^:„
"^^ uolt... Tbe milium iro.„il,i!-i»
:.JB<tjtBWilhfle.lor« ,Vcito ,;.to,„.cJ,
l^avrd on the OCt«li,M «l,h .1 1,,-,,,
1'l.n.MrN,. - I'ul-I :lK-iM-r 01
THIRTEENTH ANNUAL REPORT
PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY,
INCORPORATED AUGUST 15th, 1896.
President - - - Wm. Armstrong
1st Vice President - - Jefferson K. Cole
2nd Vice President - - Willard W. Woodman
Treasurer ... Sylvanus L. Newhall
Assistant Treasurer - - Helen C. Allen
Recording Secretary - - Mary A. Forness
Corresponding Secretary - Mrs. Elizabeth C. Osborn
Curator .... Mary A. Osborn
Librarian ... Mrs. Elizareth C. Osborn
Chairman Hospitality Com. - Mrs. Alice C. Osborn
Daniel H. Felton, Lyman P. Osborn, P. H. O'Conor,
Rev. Geo. W. Penniman, Mrs. Nancy J. Moulton, Mrs. J. J. Thorndike
Richards B. Mackintosh, Mrs. Jos. G. Porter, Albert Robinson.
DELEGATE TO THE BAY STATE HISTORICAL LEAGUE,
REGULAR MEETINGS, 1908-1909.
May 6. The Annual Meeting of the Society was held ; after which fol-
lowed the reading of a Paper on the "Old Proctor Tavern Sign,"
by Mrs. Mehitable C. (Proctor) Baxter, of Portland, Me. Mrs. Bax-
ter had recently presented this old sign to the Society. The paper
was a most interesting story of the old Tavern and its inmates, the
Proctor Family, from the earliest immigrants in 1635 until 1851.
The Hon. James P. Baxter of the N. E. Hist, and Gen. Society of
Boston, then spoke of the importance of the historical material
in this vicinity, maintaining that as tlie relation of Paris to France,
so is that of Massachusetts to the United States. Miss Sarah J. C.
Needham spoke along the same Hue. A vote of thanks was passed
to the retiring officers; a social hour followed and light refresh-
ments were served.
Nov. 10. The regular quarterly meeting of the Society was held, through
the courtesy of the School Committee, at the High School Hall,
when the Kev. G. W. Penuiman gave his most interesting lecture
on "Old Colonial Music," which was illustrated by a chorus under
the direction of Mrs. Susan L. Ferguson, assisted by Mrs. Herbert
H. Buxton at the piano and Mr. Alvah J. Kelley with the bass viol.
Mr. Penniman was introduced by the President, Mr. Armstrong,
and gave a history of the evolution of church music in this coun-
try from the time of the early Puritans, when nothing but psalms
were allowed to be sung in the churches. The Chorus rendered a
number of the old hymns to the great delight of the audience, and
Mrs. Ferguson gave an illustration of the "lining out" of the hymns
which was greatly enjoyed.
The hymns selected to illustrate Mr. Penniman's lecture were:
Invitation, Greenwich, Denmark, Easter Anthem, Emanuel, Rose
of Sharon, David's Lamention, Austria, New Bethlehem, Corona-
tion, Chester, and the Pilgrim's Farewell. The members of the
chorus who spent several weeks in preparation, and to whom the
sincere thanks of the Society are also due, are: Mrs. Alice Ducey
McKenney, Mrs. G. W. Penniman, Miss Eva D. Raddin, Miss Nel-
lie McCarthy, Miss Mary Hall Poole, Mrs. Ida A. Bushby, Miss
Bessie Tigh, Mrs. Alice L. Woodman, Mrs. Margaret Galloupe,
Miss Ethel Trask, Richards B. Mackintosh, Nathan Poor, Geo. A.
Bursley, Roger C. Merrill, and Henry A. Lord.
Fob. 3. Tlio next quarterly meeting was held, at which President Arm-
strong gave a talk on the "Merchant Marine." This was one of the
most instructive as well as entertaining lectures ever given before
the Society, tracing the history of the Merchant Marine from 1800,
when we had as large a one as any country, to the present when we
have practically none, our commerce being all carried on by means
of foreign vessels. He made an earnest plea for the establishment
of a larger Merchant Marine by the passage of the Ship Subsidy
Bill, which has been tlie subject of much contention in Congress.
At the close of the lecture Mr. Armstrong presented the Society
with an official copy of the "Proceedings at the Final Interment of
John Paul Jones at Annapolis." This was much appreciated by
the Society, and a vote of thanks was passed to Mr. Armstrong at
the close of his lecture. A social hour followed and light refresh-
ments were served.
Mc.h. 10. A meeting was held in the Masonic Banquet Hall at which Mr.
George Francis Dow of Topsfield, the Secretary of the Essex In-
stitute, gave a most delightful lecture on the "Ipswich or Agawam
River." Tliis lecture was most profusely illustrated by stereop-
ticon views of the country through wliich the river Hows. Mr.
Dow described a canoe trip down the river and noticed particularly
the various bridges spanning it, many of which were of special
After a vote of thanks to Mr. Dow, the company adjourned to
tlie rooms of the Society where light refreshments were served.
April 19. The matter of decorating with flags the graves of the Kevolu-
tionary Soldiers in town, which has always been done on April 19
by the Society, has this year been given over to the members of the
S. A. R., who have furnished the flags and will decorate the graves
on Memorial Day. The Betsy Ross flags with thirteen stars will be
used. Buff and blue ribbon streamers for the flags have been fur-
nished by the Bethia Southwick Chapter Mass. D. R.
A meeting of the Society was held on the evening of April 19,
at which Mr. Sidney Parley of Salem, Editor of the Essex Antiqua-
rian, gave a most interesting lectiire on "Town House Scjuare, Sa-
lem." This lecture was the second of a series; the first, on the "Set-
tlement of Salem," having been given before the Society last year.
This lecture was illustrated by blackboard sketches. Mr. Perley
spoke of the house of Mr. Higginson, the first preaclier in the First
Church, which was afterv/ards bought by Roger Williams. He
told of the trouble with Roger Williams, resulting in his banish-
ment, and with the Quakers. He also spoke of the Witchcraft
times, and mentioned particularly the houses of two of the Judges
and spoke of the important part the Court House on this Square
always played. At the close, remarks were made by Mr. Amr-
strong, Mr. Penniman and others.
April 19, 1909.
Albert H. Whidden,
Mrs. Helen E. Whidden.
May 5, 1909.
Albert W. Dennis,
Mrs. Harriet C. Dennis.
Mary Ellen Crane,
Nathaniel Ward Felton,
Bennett Blake Humphrey,
Mrs. Caroline (Poor) Hutchinson,
Abbie Morrill Stimson,
Mrs. Georgie Stanley (Hart) Weed,
Sophia Wilhemina Wheeler,
born Dec. 3, 1831, died March 25, 1909
Nov. 25, 1823, " Nov. 25, 1908
Sept. 8, 1839,
Nov. 15, 1820,
Jan. 24, 1841,
Aug. 2, 1863,
April 22, 1834,
April 22, 1909
Mary A. Forness, Rec. Sec.
The Treasurer of the Peabody Historical Society respectfully submits the
followiug report for the year ending May 1, 1909:
May 1, 1908. Amount in hands of Treasurer,
Received for Admissions and Dues,
From sale of Post Cards,
From sale of Vital Statistics of
Interest from Warren F. C. S. Bank,
From town for April 19, 1909,
From Sons of Am. Revolution, for
flags for soldier's graves.
For Colonial colors buff and blue
ribbon from BethiaSouthwick
Chap. Mass. D. R.
SAMUEL 8TIMP80N FUND.
Deposit in Warren Five Cents Savings Bank,
Interest to Nov., 1908, undrav?n,
LIFE MEMBERSHIP FUND.
Deposit in Warren Five Cents Savings Bank,
Received of Mrs. M. C. P. Baxter,
Interest on same to Nov., 1908,
Paid Rent, 1 year to April 1, 1909, $150.00
Electric Light, 1 year to April 1, 1909, 5.58
Electric Lamp, .70
Insurance, 1 year, 12.50
Bill of Entertainment Committee, refreshments, 1.55
Dues to Bay State Historical League, 1 year, 2.00
Lantern Operator, 5.00
Expressage from and to Beverly, 1.00
Munroe & Arnold's Express, expressing, 1.00
American Express, expressing, .90
4 dozen Flags for graves of Revolutionary Soldiers, 4.00
Washing floor in room, 1.00
Envelopes for Reports, 1.35
One quire Envelopes printed, .25
Postage on Annual Reports, 1.25
November meeting, paid Alvah Kelley for Bass
Viol accompaniment, 5.00
Mr. Collins and Mr. Teague, 2.00
Decorating Lexington Monument, 19th April, 5.00
Printing Post Cards, 11.26
" Due Circulars, 1.50
" 300 Copies Eleventh Annual Report, 18.00
" 300 Copies Twelfth Annual Report, 27.75
" Post Cards, 4.50
Envelopes for Due Circulars, 2.13
BufI' and Blue Ribbon, 2.20
Balance in hands of Treasurer, 128.60
LIFE MEMBERSHIP FUND.
Withdrawn and deposited in general account, .25
All of the above is respectfully submitted by the Treasurer.
Sylvanus L. Newhall, Treas.
Peabody, May 5, 1909.
REPORT OF CORRESPONDING SECRETARY AND
Invitations have been received by the Society to attend the following
June 30. The Essex Institute entertained the Bay State Historical League*
The President, Gen'l Appletou, gave an address of welcome; lunch
was served at the Willows, and Professor Morse gave au address in
the afternoon at the Peabody Museum of Science.
Nov. 19. The Old Planters' Society met at the Massachusetts Historical
Society Building, Boston, where a Paper on "The Settlers About
Boston Bay prior to 1630," was read by Miss Lucie M. Gardner.
Dec. 5. The Lynn Historical Society entertained the Bay State Historical
League, the subject of the day being, "What can be done to broaden
the interest in local Societies?" It was suggested that although
we may not all of us become Sons or Daughters of the American
Revolution, there is a possibility of becoming Sons or Daughters
of the American Evolution. Many interesting speakers were heard,
among them Mr. Howard Mudge Newhall, Secretary of the Lynn
Society, whose recent death seems a personal loss to all who know
him. The special thought urged by the President, Mr. Eddy, and
other speakers, was that each Society should encourage the rcj>re-
sentation of the Town's history in tableaux, plays or better still,
by Pageant after the manner of the Celebrations of Danvers in 1852
and 1856. This would prove a reminder to the descendants of the
early settlers and an education to our new citizens.
Dec. 9. The Massachusetts Historical Society commemorated the birth
of John Milton at the First Church in Boston with a most impres-
Mar. 25. The Old Planters' Society held its meeting in Salem, when an ad-
dress was given by the Rev. Peter H. Goldsmith, D. D., on "The
New England Minister of Early Puritan Communities."
These invitations have been accepted and enjoyed by the follow-
ing members: Mr. Thomas Carroll, Mr. and Mrs. Lyman Osborn,
Mr. Woodman, Miss Allen, Mrs. Foster, Miss Trask, Rev. Mr. Pen-
niman, Mrs. E. C. Osborn and others. Notices of these invitations
are announced in the News and further particulars may be obtained
by the members of the Society, at the Rooms of the Society, or by
corresponding with the Secretary.
The Society has beeu the recipient during the past year, of 57
Bound Volumes, 58 pamphlets, 97 manuscripts, several Genealogical
records, 30 articles for the cabinets or rooms, 61 sheets and pro-
grams, 17 coins, pictures, stamps, newspaper clippings, etc., etc.;
the gifts of 30 members and 13 friends. The number in our acces-
sion book has now reached 3388.
In response to the published classified list of our gifts the fol-
lowing additions may be mentioned: A list of certain High School
graduates, written by Mr. Amos Merril, one of our most interested
friends; the new High School Magazine by Caleb Warner; a baton
and sash worn at the George Peabody Reception in 1856, by Mrs.
Mayhew Clark; The Memorial Book with the souvenir plate, by
Jordan Lodge; an addition to our collection of Fire-buckets, by
Mrs. Dolly Osborne; from the Benevolent Society a basket which
has done good service for three generations; from Mr. Sydney
Perley, copies of the Antiquarian containing illustrations to the
interesting lectures he has given us on early Salem. Vol. 1 of "The
Vital Statistics of Danvers," containing births 1752-1850, has been
received and a limited number of copies are for sale. The literary
side has been increased by the addition of a volume of verse by
Mr. Ingraham, and the collection of the favorite quotations of
many of our members and friends. The completion of a set of
Farmer's Almanacs 1792-1909, is nearing an end with a goodly num-
ber of still earlier date. Peabody newspapers have been donated,
but many more are needed. The beginning of what we hope will
be a large collection of interesting articles of wearing apparel or
bits of hand work brought into town or made by our new citizens
has been made by Mrs. Palmer, in the gift of a Swedish aporn. We
have also been remembered by one of our townsmen who has made
good progress in the navy, Mr. Michael Dillon, who brought home
from the World's Tour of the Battleships, pieces of Philipi)ine
money and bits of Japanese work. Some copies of old Deeds relat-
ing to the Stimpson Bakery by Mr. Andrew Nichols, and other notes
concerning the records by Mr. Jacob Osboru, are of practical value
iu our work. Donations of Peabody newspapers and other publi-
cations, are most needed and it is hoped will be greatly increased
the coming year.
One of the most valuable recognitions our Society has received,
is from Mr. Bolton, Librarian of the Boston Athenaeum, who has
been for many reasons interested in the life of Elizabeth Whitman.
Mr. Bolton has finished a monogia])h the result of much historical
research by one who has had years of experience. This manuscript,
Mr. Bolton has oifered our Society to publish as being the appro-
jiriate source for such a Paper.
This will be iu a certain way a new departure, and a matter for
special i)ride and gratitude from our Society as a whole.
Exchange of Reports has been made with The Bay State His-
torical League, The Boston Athaenum, Cambridge Historical So-
ciety, Congressional liibrary, Danvers, Essex Institute, Ipswich,
Leominster, Lynn, Maiden, Marblehead, and Massachusetts His-
torical Societies; Massachusetts State Library, Sec'y of State of
Masschusetts, New England Hist, and Gen. Society, New York
Public Library, Norwood Historical Society, Old Planters' Society,
Rhode Isl.iiid Historical Society, South Natick Historical Society,
State Society of Wisconsin.
The Rooms of the Society have been open to visitors every Mon-
day afternoon, from 2.30 to 5.00 o'clock, when the following list of
members have acted as a Hospitality Committee: Miss Helen C.
Allen, Mrs. Nancy J. Moulton, Mrs. Alice C. Osborn, Mrs. Alice L.
Osborn, Mrs. Eliz. C. Osboni, Mrs. Annie S. Porter, Mrs. H. Maria
Palmer, Mrs. Minnie A. Shanahau.
Grateful acknowledgment is due the donors of the following
articles, books, etc., connected in some way with the Pievolution.
It is hoped that all omissions or errors will be brought to our at-
Accounts of, in 1875
Photo of, Salem Gazette
Secretary's Book of Dan-
vers Lexington Monu-
"Gen. John Glover and his
"North Bridge of Salem,"
"One Hundred Tears Ago"
"Origin of the Stars and
"Origin of the Stars and
New York Herald, Extra edi-
tion, 19 April, 1875
Pewter Plate, of
Pistol carried by
Mrs. M. O. Stevens
from gravel pit, Low-
Apr. 20, 1835, in South
Apr. 19, 1875, at Lex-
ington G. A. R.
Apr. 19, 1775, from
British Clarissa Jacobs
Apr. 19, 1775, by Salem
Gazette Joseph Burbeck
Apr. 19, 1775 Fred'k Lamson
E. Tisdale, del.
C. Tiebout, sculpt. Thomas Carroll
Merrimac Valley Vis-
Salem Register Adaline A. Little
Apr. 25, 1775 Chas. A. Sanger
Geo. Osborne, M. D. Geo. S. Osborne, M. D.
Marblehead Marblehead Hist. Soc'y
Feb. 26, 1775 Gen. F. H. Appleton
Edward Everett Hale John Brown
Adaline A. Little
Chas. C. Hills
Sarah P. Foster
Rev. Isaac Morrill,
Pocket Book, marked
"Constantinople and Amer-
ican Liberties" July 2, 1775
Program of Prospect Hill
Dedication Somerville Hist. Soc'y Gen. F. H. Appleton
"Prospect Hill Dedication" " " " Somerville Hist. Soc'y
Mrs. M. O. Stevens
Sketch in letter of Revo-
"Soldiers and Sailors of the
S. A. R. Record of Graves
"Some Patriots of the Revo-
"Somerset," British Man o'
War, Chip from
"S. A. R. Membrship List"
Southwick Home, photo, of
Stillwater, Battle of, Broad-
Sword carried by
Washington, his acc't book
His letters on Agriculture
"Birthday Address," 1797
"Birthday Address," 1862
Button marked "G. W."
"Long live the President"
Clippings, his marriage
and Valley Forge
Damask from canopy of
bed occupied by him
"Eulogies and Orations,"
"Farewell Address," etc.
"Home at Mt. Vei-non"
Lith. of G. W.& M.W.
Head eng. from Mack-
Ulster Co. Gazette with
acc't of funeral of
Ulster Co. Gazette with
acc't of funeral of
Ulster Co. Gazette with
acc't of funeral of
"Visit to Marblehead and
Abner Sanger, Sr.
Com. of Mass.
S. A. R.
S. A. R.
orig. by Votin of Eng-
pr. at Bell Tavern
Rev. Issac Morrill,
Henry F. Waters
Hon. Beuj. Pickman
Rev. Geo. W. Briggs
Crossing the Delaware
Newbury port in 1789
Com. of Mass. 1805
Salem, Dec. 29, 1799
J. W. Folsom
Stuart, eng. by Hill
Lith. by N. Currier
Mrs. D. P. Hudson
Chas. A. Sanger
Com. per B. F. Southw'k
Robert H. Gowing
Adaline A. Litlte
G. Elmer Fowle
Robert H. Gowing
B. S. Chapter Mass. D.R.
Eliz. O. Bancroft
S. H. Humphrey
Henry H. Procter
George S. Osborne, M.D.
Chas. B. Farley
Adaline A. Little
Daniel H. Felton
Lucy L. Symonds
Nellie M. Merrill
George S. Osborne, M.D.
E. C. Osborn
Mary Ellen Crane
Mrs. Isaac Drowne
Geo. S. Osborne, M. D.
Mrs. Isaac Wilson
Sarah F. Kittredge
Eliz. C. Kimball
Eliz. C. Kimball
E. C. Osborn
Eliza S. Osborn
Adaline A. Litttle
Mrs. H. K. Foster
Mrs. D. P. Hudson
TABLET ON GATE
REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIERS OF DANVERS (NOW Peabody)
WHOSE GRAVES HAVE BEEN IDENTIFIED BY S. A. R. MARKERS.
In Remembrance of the Revolutionary Soldiers of our Town, formerly a
part of Danvers, a Petition was signed by Francis H. Appleton, Alec B,
Clark, B. B. Humphrey, Arthur F. Poole, Herbert M. Berry, Frank C. Mer-
rill, Thomas M. Stimpson, Sylvanus L. Newhall, S. A. Clark and Robert H.
Gowing, and an article placed in the Warrant for the Town Meeting held
March 9, 1896. At this time it was voted: "that the town appropriate the
sum of fifty dollars towards the purchase of markers adopted by and to be
placed by the local members of "The Sons of the American Revolution," to
designate the burial places in this town of each Revolutionary Soldier and
Sailor whose grave can be located, as is authorized by the State, Chapter 42,
Acts of the year 1884."
Members of the S. A. R. and other members of the Peabody Historical
Society, located the resting places of the following men, and on May 29, 1897,
the Markers were placed by this Committee: Robert H. Gowing, S. A. R. ;
Warren D. King, President of the Society, and Mrs. King, Daniel H. Felton,
Mrs. Annie S. Porter, Mary M. Farley, Lyman P. Osborn, and Mrs. Osborn.
Since that time for eleven years a committee from the Historical Society,
including Mr. Gowing and Mr. Richards B. Mackintosh, S. A. R., have dec-
orated these graves on the 19th of April, by placing a flag in each Marker.
This year (in March, 1909), the local members of the S. A. R. offered to pro.
vide the flags and the local Chapter D. R. offered to tie upon them the colo-
nial colors buff and blue, and it was voted, that the graves be decorated on
the 30th of May instead of the 19th of April as heretofore. Additional graves
have been located from year to year, and further information will be grate-
fully received and acted upon. The following is a complete list to date:
CEDAR GROVB CEMETERY, LYNN STREET.
Capt. Daniel Galeucia, Died 9th December, 1825, Aged 85 years
EMKR80N BURIAL GROUND, WASHINGTON STREET.
Nathaniel Davis, Died 20th March, 1849, Aged 84 "
David Newhall, "
FELTON BURIAL GROUND, PROSPECT STREET.
Asa Felton, Died 9tli August, 1848, Aged 84 years
Timothy Felton, " 12th October, 1811, " 69 "
Moses Preston, " 26th February, 1824, " 65 '^^
Capt. Jonathan Procter, " 4th August, 1808, " 69 *
Newhall Wilson, " 22ud September, 1832, " 77
FLINT BURIAL GROUND, OFF LOWELL STREET, WEST PEARODY.
William Flint, Died 6th February, 1843, Aged 84 "
HARMONY GROVE, WALNUT STREET ENTRANCE.
Gen. Gideon Foster, Died 1st November, 184.5, " 96 "
Joseph Osborne 4th, " 27th August, 1829, " 72
Major Sylvester Osborne, " 2ud October, 1845, " 87 "
.JACOBS BURIAL GROUND, LOWELL STREET.
Honry Jacobs, Died 19th April, 1775, " 22 "
John Jacobs, " 9th January, 1826, " 69 "
.JACOBS BURIAL GROUND, MARGIN STREET.
Capt. Seth Richardson, Died 27th February, 1831, " 72 "
KINO (AMOS) BURIAL GROUND, SUMMIT STREET.
Amos King, Died 28th April, 1831, " 80 "
KING TOMBS AND CEMETERY, LOWELL STREET.
Jonathan King, Died 16th March, 1825, " 80 "
Zachariah King, " 16th November, 1832, " 88 "
Major Andrew Munroe, " 7th August, 1836, " 73 "
LINDSEY BURIAL GROUND (bROWN's POND) LYNN STREET.
Capt. Eleazer Lindsey, Died 1782, Aged 67 "
MONUMENTAL CEMETERY, WALLIS STREET.
Benjamin Giles, Died 16th April, 1834, " 70 "
Aaron Porter, " 3rd December, 1843, " 86 "
John Southwick, "
Joseph Tufts, " 10th March, 1840, " 85 "
Nathan Upton, " 17th March, 1795, " 63 "
NEEDHAM BURIAL GROUND, GOODALE LANE.
Benjamin NeodJiam, Died 9tli October, 1779, " 41 "
Stephen Needham, " 28th December, 1801, " 69 "
OLD BURIAL GROUND, MAIN STREET.
Samuel Cook, Jr.,
Lt. William Goldtliwaite,
Major Caleb Low,
Capt. Silas Smith,
' 75 years
' 33 "
' 25 "
, rj^ 11
' 71 "
' 75 "
1 70 "
1 79 II
1 72 "
1 76 II
' 66 "
• 25 "
' 75 "
' 69 ' =
' 77 "
KUSSELL BUKIAL GKOUND, RUSSELL STREET.
Now removed to Middleton Cemetery.
Benjamin Russell, Died 22nd April, 1838,
UPTON BURIAL GROUND, BIRCH STREET.
Died 4th October, 1824,
WILSON BURIAL GROUND, OFF ANDOVER STREET.
Robert Wilson, 3rd,
Jonathan Wilson, 3rd,
Died 13th January, 1809,
" 24th February, 1791,
" 4th January, 1797,
" about 1815.
THE OLD MAIN STREET "BURIALL PLACE" (1)
Upon the Salem Town Records may be seen:
"9th: Imo: IGSjJ: — Its to care for to (?) fee Conuenuency for a buringe
place about ye glaffehoufe people and what Chardge is needful to be alowd
ye Towne to pay for it, . . .
March 20, IGSi: — Voted y' the request of those Inhabiteing aboute the
Glafsehouse, ttc. Concerning the Incloafeing of the Burying place neere
William Trasks; is left to the Selectmen to determine & Settle as they shall
Judge Nefsessary. . .
March 17, 170,i:— Voted That Jo" Trask Jun^s Petition ab* fenceing ye
burying place by his house is granted it left to ye Selectmen to determine
how much he shall take in.
March 23, 171 1 See ye Town Treasurer Impowered to prosecute Mr. John
Trask for his Incroachmeut on ye Town Commons nigh his houfe, as per
March 23, 171f : — In answer to ye petition of John Trask Jun^ respect-
ing his fencing in the burying place on ye mill plain: That he have liberty
to fence in a fmall peice of land more adjoining to faid burying place, During
the Town's pleasure and that ye Selectmen fett it out to him: — being about
This old Burial Place seems to have been associated with the Trask Fam-
ily from the beginning, and it is believed that Captain William Trask, the
builder of the first mill in this vicinity and the "Miles Staudish" of this
early settlement, was buried on this or adjoining ground. Tradition claims
that this Burial Place, or land to enlarge it, was given the Town by Lydia
Trask, about 1750 ; though it was still mentioned as "Trask's Bui-ying place,"
on a Deed, dated December 30, 1779.(E8sex Co. Deeds, Vol. 138, p. 182.) The
oldest stone today is dated, 1089, but the larger number arc later than 1750.
Many Revolutionary Soldiers are buried here but there are few stones
to mark their graves, though many graves without stones have been iden-
tified by relatives. Tradition tells us that those who lost their lives at the
Battle of Lexington, were buried together in the Southwick Lot and that
when the street was widened many years ago, they were left outside the
fence, under the sidewalk.
A GROUP OF soldiers' GRAVES
The following inscriptions are from the only stones of Soldiers who
have been identified here:
To the Memory of
MR BENJAMIN JACOBS
Obt. Oct. 23, 1814
To the Memory of
Capt- Silas Smith
Obt Nov. 5th, 1806
To the Memory of
Major CALEB LOW
Who departed this life
May 13 A D. 1810
Thi sweet remembrance of the just
Shall Jiourish ivhile they sleep in dust
In Memory of
Mr. EBENEZER SPRAGUE
who departed this life
Jan. 5, 1801
Jan. 26, 1839
A loving and beloved Father
one of the defenders of his
Country's rights in '76
In Memory of
Mr William Southwick
Sept. 11, 1828
Aet. 75 years
Death thou hast conquered me
I by thy death am slain
£ut Christ hath conquer'd thee
And I shall live again
Mk Robert Shillxbbr
June 20, 1808
"Farewell conflicting hopes and fears
Where lights and shades alternate dwell
How bright th' unchanging morn appears
Farewell inconstant world.' Farewell."'
TO THK MEMOKY OF
WHO DIED AUG. 16, A.D. 1825
Enterprising, industrious, benevolent
Honest & i)atriotic
A Friend l<ind and obliging
A Man not witlioul Ills frailitles
Who is without them?
But in the main Honorable wise &
The following pamphlets are for sale by the Society, the rooms being open
to the public every Monday afternoon: —
"The Home of John Proctor" by William P. Upham, - - !
"Dedication of Memorial Tablet at Birthplace of George Peabody,
History of Peabody, by Theodore M. Osborne, - - - -
Vital Statistics of Dauvers, Essex Institute,
"Some places of Historic Interest in our town," ...
Annual Report with " Lexington Monument Memorandum."
Annual Report with "Story of the High School," by Thomas Carroll,
Annual report with "Story of the Lexington Monument," by Thomas
Annual Report with " Dan vers Martyrs," a poem by Rev. A. P.
Putnam, D. D.
Postal Cards with local views.
Photographs of local views,
George Peabody's Birthplace.
Queen Victoria's Portrait in Pea-
Soldiers' Monument and Old
John Proctor Memorial,
Old Proctor House.
Apple Tree Lane, Osborn Farm.
Peabody from Buxton's Hill.
Catholic Church and Parochial
Convent, Parochial School and
ChestnutStreet and Town House
Elm Street and Entrance to
Residence of Lewis Brown,
Crystal or Upham's Pond, West
"Phelp's Mill," West Peabody.
Home for Aged Women.
Burial Place of George Peabody.
Parson Prescott House, Central
Peabody Sijuare in 1902.
Peabody Square in 1905.
Wilson Square in 1902.
Wilson yijuarein 1906.
Triangle at Felton's corner, 1906.
Buxton's Hill in 1905.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church,
.03 each, or two for .05
.05, .10, .15, .25, .35, .50
George Peabody, 1869.
View of Peabody from the Metho-
Peabody Square, cor. Foster St.
Main Street, looking west from
Church and Schoolhouse, West
Gen. Appleton's House.
Salem Country Club House.
West Peabody Station.
Salem Golf Club House.
Peabody Square, 1890.
Peabody Square, 1848.
Peabody High School, 1850.
Peabody High School, 1855.
C Sylvester Proctor's Drug Store,
( John Lord's Drying Yard.
Curtis-Very Burial Lot.
Peabody from Salem.
Gateway of Old Burial Ground.
Durkee Farm, or Red Farm, West
House of Mr. William E. Sheen,
Nathan Holt's Gravestone.
Peabody Square in 1833.
Tablet on (iate of Old Main Street
Group of Tombstones on Revo-
lutionary Soldiers' Graves.