Skip to main content
1 /I ''-'w™
. P35 P4
<. 'o . »
. I. ' a - •<$».
-^^.^ oV^^^^Pt- ^^v^'' ::^^'< '-^^0^' !''^»'': ^o^^'
%^^-%0^ ^^,^^^\/ %*^-'/ ^^, -o^o
BY THOMAS CARROLL
TWELFTH ANNUAL REPORT
PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
1907 — 1908.
INCORPORATED AUGUST 15, i8g6.
Lexington Monument, Peabooy, Mass
THE FIRST MEMORIAL MONUMENT TO THE BATTLE OF LEXINGTON.
COPYRIGHT 1903 BY PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, FEABODY, MASS. NO.
THE LEXINGTON MONUMENT.
A PAPER READ BEFORE THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF PEABODY,
igth OF APRIL, 1897.
BY THOMAS CARROLL.
A certain amount of historic flavor went out from us when the old town of
Dauvers was divided some forty years ago, and this departure was accen-
tuated when a little later the citizens of South Dauvers chose the honored
name which our town now bears. To preserve and perpetuate in an accur-
ate and intelligent manner the records and deeds of those who made the
nation as well as those who preserved it shall be the object of this society.
It is in accordance with this object that I present to you on this occasion a
sketch of the Lexington monument in the town of Peabody.
The stranger coming among us is unaware of the part taken by the men
of Danvers in that struggle for human rights which culminated in the inde-
pendence of the colonies, and is amazed to find in the heart of the town on
a busy highway looking straight up the road to Boston, a monument dedi-
cated to the earliest martyrs in the first real drama of the Revolution. He had
noticed with the eye of approval the beautiful monument on the square. With
a full knowledge of intents and purposes, Bunker Hill and all that implied
were familiar to him from childhood. Lexington and Concord were house-
hold words. He had rolled out Emerson's stirring lines while gazing at the
"Minute Man" by the old North Bridge ; but as he stopped before this mod-
est shaft of grey and its full significance came over him, a new interest is
awakened, and he thinks with a deepened respect how much he owes to
these men who thus gave up their lives, and to the mothers who bore such
As his mind reverts to that stirring period the thought is borne upon him
that the doctrine of resistance to injustice was the common heritage of the
people of New England. The "embattled farmers" of the Deerfield valley
would have held the bridge with the same valor as did those of Middlesex
Two short mouths before the event which this monument commemorates,
almost within hailing distance of this very spot, the men of Salem repelled
the first hostile movement of British troops in force. The significance of
this episode in America's history should never be overlooked. For whether
it was the determined temper evinced by the people, the exhortations of
Parsons Barnard on that fateful Sunday morning, or the reluctance to pre-
cipitate a confiict which must be a bloody one, that caused Col. Leslie to
march back with his force discomforted to Marblehead, certain it is, it was
only by the merest chance that "The shot heard round the World," was not
fired at the old North Bridge at Salem instead of that at Concord, and that
this monument would commemorate the 26th of February instead of the
19th of April, 1775.
The population of Danvers was then a little over 1800. Twenty-three
years before, it had become a separate township from Salem. The North
Parish was rich in farming land, and the yeomen who settled there early
became famous for the excellence of their crops. Here came the Putnams,
Fowlers, Prestons and Tapleys. Their descendents continue to flourish there
to the present day. It was separated from the South Parish, now Peabody
by salt water estuaries which in time were bridged and dammed. The
rise and fall of the tide furnished power for the little mills that were early
erected, the same power being used down to our own time.
The South Parish or Middle Precinct was first called Brooksbie, from the
number of brooks flowing through the woods and hills which meeting below
the square, found their way into the North River. The abundance of run-
ning water coupled with the natural advantages of the location attracted
the tanners who had come over from England with Eudicott. The founda-
tion of our staple industry was then laid by some of the earliest settlers who
had pushed up the stream while they peered through the fringe of forest
for the lurking Indians. It was not very long before the tanners of Danvers
were selling leather to all the settlements, the trade receiving official recog-
nition for as early as 1655, John Kitchen was appointed sealer and searcher
of leather. The Southwicks, Shoves and Pooles settled along the stream,
while up the "Lane" the Osborns and Buxtons were mixing the potter's clay
and tilling the soil. To the South and West, the Flints, Needhams, Nich-
olls and Kings had cleared the forest and built their homes on the rising
uplands. There were several small mills in operation. "
Town meetings alternated between the villages, each of which had their
rival orators. The South Parish people took life more evenly than their broth-
ers of the North, and were not much given to disputation. It was said that
the final act of division was instigated by some of our townsmen who were
vanquished in debate, but the real causes of that act were the diversity of
commercial interest and the inconvenience of distance. Through all the
privations of the seven years struggle there was unity of purpose, and a
loyalty of effort for the common cause as well as a generous rivalry in
patriotism and self sacrifice.
The same feelings existed between the people of Danvers and those of
Salem. A blow at the rights of one community was resented by the other
as having common cause. When Leslie's advance was so stoutly met at the
North Bridge, the men of Danvers were shoulder to shoulder with their
neighbors of the North Fields. Lieut. Richard Skidmore of Capt. Jeremiah
Page's Company was carrying to a place of safety the coveted stores and
amunition. Mutual good will and friendship have always existed between
them, and no selfish scheme of territorial agrandisement at the expense of
cither can ever be successful.
It is safe to say that no other people of those times were more devoted to
law and order than those of New England, and none were more jealous of
their rights as citizens and subjects. The privations and hardships of the
early settlements had been surmounted, books became more plentiful while
education was more general and systematic. Public and .state (juestions
were discussed with keen intelligence, together with a surprising know-
edge of the fundamental principles of English law. College bred men
were numerous in every community, many of whom, besides being learned,
were eloquent and logical, and all had courage. The state papers of the
Americans were models of forcible English. Chatham declared that they
were not excelled in composition, in that or any other country.
A close alliance existed between Church and State, for in the earlier days
the church was the meeting house, where town meetings were held and
publlo business transacted. The key note of public sentiment was struck
from the pulpit, and the public conscience Avas kept at concert pitch.
It is well to take into account that there existed a strong jealousy be-
tween the different colonies, that in certain localities, many wealthy and
influential families were favorable to the continuance of kingly rule.
Racial traits, commercial interests and local conditions combined to keep
this feeling alive. In the South the population was scattered, the planta-
tions large, the climate favorable to the employment of servile labor. In
the Middle States there was a diversity of races among the farming popula-
tion, while in the great commercial centres, and in the neighborhood of the
British garrisons there existed a large class little in sympathy with the Rev-
To enlarge and cement the bonds of friendship between the whole people;
to crystalize in a common cause the feeling of mutual interest in resistance
to the unjust demands of England, required the finest qualities of states-
manship, firmness and wisdom.
In New England the soil and climate were not favorable to large agricul-
tural interests, the villages were more numerous, and there were many dis-
tinctive features in the social and political life of the people.
In no feature was this distinction so marked as in the manner of adminis-
tration of local affairs. The Town Meeting, an institution peculiar to New
England possessed and still maintains the essence of all that is implied in a
government of the people and by the people. Thomas Jefferson declared
that those wards called townships in New England are the vital principles
of their governments and have proved themselves the wisest invention ever
devisedby the wit of man, for the perfect exercise of self government and for
The Danvers Town Meetings were vivid exponents of the intelligence as
well as the determination of the people of these times. In 1775, in Town
meeting assembled, it was resolved: "That the inhabitants were greatly
incensed by the burdens attempted to be imposed on them, and were ready
to resist to the uttermost." In the same year 40 towns adopted this resolu-
tion presented at Braintree Town meeting by John Adams. "We further
recommend the most clear and explicit assertion and vindication of our
rights and liberties to be enacted on the public records, that the world may
know in the present and all future generations, that we have a clear
knowledge and a just sense of those rights and liberties and that with sub-
mission to Divine Providence, we never can be slaves."
"In 1768, Dr. Holteu, delegate from Danvers to a convention held in Fan-
uiel Hall was instructed to "look well to the rights of the people." Fifteen
days before the Declaration of Independence at Philadelphia, the people
here in Town meeting assembled declared that "If the Honorable Congress
for the safety of the United States, declare them independent of the king-
dom of Great Britain, we, the inhabitants of Danvers, do solemnly pledge
our lives and fortunes in support of the matter."
It is interesting to look over the old records, to note how the feeling of
resistence grew until it became a dogma of the people. Each repressive act
of Parliament was met by the most vigorous protest, which soon became
stern defiance. "The Boston Port Bill" and the "Regulating Act" tended
only to deepen the warlike spirit of the men of Danvers. New companies of
militia were formed who were drilled in the use of arms by the veterans of
the old French wars.
In the summer of 1774, the 64th Regiment of the line' came to Salem from
Castle William in Boston harbor. They marched over the road to Danvers,
encamping in afield opposite the Collins House, which was then the resi-
dence of the royal Governor, Thomas Gage. If the object of this movement
was intimidation, it signally failed. It gave to the people of Danvers a
sight of the British soldier in all the glory of bright uniform and sbining
equipments, and while it bred no contempt, it certainly aroused no fear.
Neither was there any act of violence, though the provocation was great and
the tension strained to the utmost. It is believed that such an example of
self restraint by a whole people is not recorded in history.
The "Committees of correspondence," and the "Committees of safety"
daily increased inactivity and vigilance. The latest news from Boston, the
last bulletins from Sam Adams and John Hancock were announced to the
people on the arrival of the messenger, William Sliillaber was chairman of
the Committee of Safety in Danvers. His energy and patriotism were
recognized by his fellow citizens. He lived on the site of the Caller house
on Boston street, and was a son-in-law to Major Caleb Lowe of Washington's
The British parliament refusing to listen to the warnings of Burke and
Chatham, persisted in their oppressive measures, with the belief that the
Americans would not dare to offer an armed resistence. But the people had
been preparing themselves for the struggle that was inevitable, with a con-
sciousness of its terrible import, but with a fortitude and a determination
born out of the righteousness of their cause.
So when the wild-eyed messenger galloped into town shouting as he ad-
vanced, "The British are marching on Concord," the response of the men of
Danvers was a speedy one. The bell of the meeting house on the square
was rung, the drums beat to arms. The tanners along the brook threw off
their leather aprons, the potters in the Lane left their clay unmixed, the
millers stoi)ped their water wheels, leaving their corn and chocolate
uuground, the farmers in "The Kingdom" and "up the Coast" left their
ploughs in the furrows, hurryiug with all speed to seize their guns and am-
unition, all speeding for the rallying place on the square. Quickly forming
in line, the word of command is given, and with the entire population of
the village streaming from all directions surrounding their brothers, sons
and husbands as they marched down the Main street to the junction of the
new Boston road and halted at the spot where the monument now stands.
Eight companies of militia went out from Danvers on that day. Of the 302
names on the the old muster rolls, it is curious to note how the old families
cling to the localities where their ancestors first settled. There were 37 of
the Putnam family in the companies from the North Parish, while seven
Osborns, six South wicks, four Goldthwaits, three of the Jacobs and the
same number from the Epes family. Kings, Wilsons, Russells, Rca, Stones
many other names now extinct, marched in the ranks to the Lexington
fight from the South Parish. Three of the companies belonged to the Essex
Regiment commanded by Col. Timothy Pickering of Salem. Capt. Samuel
Flint commanded the 1st Companj', which numbered 4.5 officers and men.
The names on the muster roll would indicate that they belonged to the
Western part of the town. The Captain of the 2nd Company was Samuel
Epes, with a list of 82 officers and men all from the South Parish. The 3rd
Company was commanded by Capt. Jeremiah Page, having 37 officers and
A company of minute men under the command of Capt. Israel Hutchinson
included 53 officers and men, most of whom belonged in Danversport, with
a stout contingent from Beverly. Capt. Caleb Lowe's company of 23 oflicers
and men were all from the South Parish. Asa Prince was Captain of the
6th Co. numbering 37 officers and men, whose names were in Danvers
The 7th and 8th companies were called " Alarm " companies. John Put-
nam was Captain of the first of these which numbered 35 officers and men,
while tbe 8th company was under the command of Edward Putnam, whose
1st Lieutenant was Rev. Benjamin Balch and consisted of 17 officers and
men. The members of these companies were old men who were exempt
from military duty by reason of years and previous service, many of them
having served in the old French wars, but they went to the fight for all
that and received two daj^s' pay from the state of Massachusetts.
Gideon Foster's name does not appear as Captain on the muster rolls; but
Captain he was in fact as well as in name. In the month of March it was
declared that a quarter part of the militia should be known as " minute
men," ready to respond at a minute's notice. Foster was then 2nd Lieu-
tenant of Capt. Epes' company which had nearly double the number of men
of any other in the township, and it was from their overflowing ranks that
the company was formed which chose him their captain.
The alarm reached here about nine o'clock, spreading with amazing ra-
pidity. At 10 the men were ready to march. There was no faltering or
hesitation. There were no impassioned harangues from fervid orators to
stir the blood of citizen soldiers. Oratory was not needed, and orators
would have been out of place. The time for action had come and the men
were ready. But instead, the calm voice of the minister was raised, as he
called down a fervent blessing on the cause for which they were going forth
to do battle. By permission of Col. Pickering the Danvers companies were
allowed to march without waiting for the regiment. Silently, without the
blare of trumpets, the crash of martial music, without even a flag, these
men started forward on their weary march, while those they had left be-
hind remained rooted to the spot, their lips moving in a mute appeal to
It was one of those intensely hot days which sometimes steal in from
midsummer to spring. The season was unusual. The grass was green and
waving, the cherry trees were in blossom. There was little attempt at mil-
itary alignment in the companies, yet they retained a certain rude forma-
tion as they did their determination. It is believed that they took the road
skirting Lynn on the West, going through Saugus and Cliftondale, leaping
stone walls and crossing the fields wherever a short cut could be made, un-
til they arrived at Medford. Here they halted for a short time to quench
their thirst and get news of the fight. The march was resumed at renewed
speed, and at 2 o'clock in the afternoon, they reached Menotomy on the
line of the British advance. Sixteen miles in four hours and on a day of
prostrating heat. It was a march that would have tried the mettle of sea-
soned troops, and will continue to elicit the admiration of future historians.
The men of the North Parish probably took a more direct course from their
starting point, but they were not behind either in activity or resolution.
It is believed that Capt. Hutchinson's company from the Port, marched
through our village on their way to the fight, for they too stopped at Med-
ford. One of the Putnam family had married a Medford woman and had
moved to that town not long before. He had been a soldier in the French
wars, and though exempt by reason of age and service, the fighting blood
of the family was fired at the sight of his comrades. He joined their ranks,
went to battle and was killed.
By this time the news from the British column had been confirmed, and
though laden with a thousand wild statements, had begun to take a more
definite shape. The haughty demand of the English commander, followed
by the attack on the militia at Lexington, the advance on Concord, the con-
flict there, the destruction of the stores and amunition, the rising of the
whole country side, who were then in the act of taking a swift and terrible
retribution for the shedding of patriot blood; this and much more was
shouted by excited messengers to the gathering farmers who had come to
strike a blow for liberty. Their turn would soon come, and they grimly
awaited it. There were men on horseback giving orders, militia officers
struggling to keep their men together, and commands given without refer-
ence to concerted action. But though weary with marching and faint from
hunger, the men of Danvers were the most compact and the most formida-
ble body in all the varying assemblage. They were posted in position to
command the Englisii troops on their return from Lexington. There was" a
rude military sliill in their choice of ground. Where the conditions per-
mitted, tlie men kept together. A dBtachmeut occupied an euclosed yard
wliere a house was building, using the bundles of shingles as a breastwoi'k.
Gideon Foster stated that Mr. Cleaves of Beverly vi^as his nearest comrade
during the fight. The coming of the English was marked by shots given
and returned. But the British soldiers coming back from Lexiugton, were
different beiugs from those who marched forth so proudly the night before.
Burning with thirst, buffeted on all sides by a deadly and elusive foe,
amazed that the flower of England's glory should be fleeing from the wrath
of a lot of despised Yankee farmers, all the savage in human nature was
aroused. Like wild beasts they wanted to kill. Many of the atrocities at-
tributed to them were doubtless caused by the frenzy to which they were
goaded. They had learned caution too by bitter experience, for while
their main column kept the road, flanking parties were thrown out to dis-
lodge their concealed enemies. The Danvers men waited for the head o*
the column and poured in a destructive fire. Intent only on the enemy in
front they were suddenly subjected to a deadly volley from the rear, and
while trying to shift their position, found themselves between two fires.
Four of their number were killed at this stage of the conflict. Foster with
a part of his men crossed the road by running ahead of the enemy loading
and firing as they ran. Taking a fresh position they kept up the flght un-
til the last of the British rear guard was out of sight towards Charlestown.
In the mean time several of their comrades who were in the enclosure
sought refuge in a house near by, from which they might harass the en-
emy. But they were attacked on all sides by the furious British, and the
little band was forced to surrender. Here three more of the men of Dan-
vers met their death, and others were grievously wounded.
Darkness was setting in as the last scattering shots were fired at
the retreating column. The dead and wounded must be cared for.
With eager hands they tenderly lifted the lifeless forms of their com-
rades. George South wick was dead; so was Eben Goldthwait, Henry
Jacobs, Benjamin Daland, Samuel Cook, Perley Putnam and Jotham Webb.
Seven in all, while among the wounded were Nathan Putnam, brother of
Perley Putnam who was killed and Dennison Wallis for whom the Wallis
School was named. Though grievously hurt he saved his life by feigning
death, when the Danvers men were attacked by the flank guard. John
Bell was taken prisoner at the same time, and for several months was con-
fined on one of the frigates in Boston Harbor.
Of the 23 towns which took part in the battle, Danvers suffered more
grievously than any other with the exception of Lexington, and that too
with her men marching the greatest distance to the scene of action.
But there was a grim satisfaction in the knowledge that the enemy paid
dearly for it. The position of the men of Danvers was the "Bloody Angle"
of the fight, and in front of their rude breastwork, the British dead lay
thickest. In spite of the "Flank guard " of which they were unaware
from their inexperience in warfare, there is little doubt that their position
was well chosen, and had the other towns displayed the same alacrity, or
been imbued with so much soldierly spirit, not even the reinforcements of
Lord Percy would have saved the British column from annihilation.
The minute men were good shots, had a practical knowledge of the use
of arras, and aimed at what they fired. Foster and several of his comrades
declared that they fired as many as twelve times with two bullets each
time. The British soldiers were not accustomed to take special aim in line
or company firing until a later part, as can be seen in the old engravings of
the "Boston Massacre." An original one by Paul Revere in the Essex In-
stitute at Salem, represents them in the act of firing on the people with
heads erect, eyes front, while the stocks of the muskets arc held at the
armpits. It is probable that on the retreat, they threw custom to the winds
and fired Yankee fashion.
It was ten by the clock when the Danvers men bringing their dead
reached Medford on their return march, where they tarried for the night.
To the people at home the suspense and fear was awful. The night was
spent in sleeplessness and anxiety. Wild rumors had reached the village;
where nearly every family was concerned for the fate of one or more of its
members. Messengers had been coming from towns as distant as Ports-
mouth during the day, for news of the battle, showing that Danvers was re-
garded as the centre of the patriotic movement.
It was on Thursday evening, the day after the battle, that the returning
minute men brought back the bodies of their slain companions. The people
went forth to meet them, and as the mournful procession marched into
town, a carriage escorted by the sexton of the South church stopped before
the house of Samuel Cook in the Lane, now Central Street, where the bodies
of George Southwick, Samuel Cook, Henry Jacobs, Benjamin Daland
and Ebenezer Goldthwait, who had fought together and died together were
laid side by side in death. It is generally believed that the others were
taken to the house of Capt. Israel Hutchinson at Danversport where the
people thronged to gaze on the faces of their dead heroes.
On Friday the funeral was held in the old South church. The Rev. Mr.
Holt, who two days before had invoked heaven to bless the men and their
cause, as they marched forth in their lusty manhood, now preached the ser-
mon over their dead bodies.
The galleries of the church were filled by armed men. Two companies of
Minute Men from Salem, joined with the comrades of the slain to give them
military honors. After impressive ceremonies at the church, the soldiers
with reversed arms, muffled drums, and measured steps led the mournful
procession. Near the old burying ground they were met by a band of sol-
diers from Newburyport, Salisbury and Amesbury, marching to meet the
army which was besieging Boston. These formed in single ranks on each
side of the road, and the sad procession passed between them. Three
volleys of musketry were fired over their graves as the first martyrs in the
cause of American liberty were laid in their last earthly tenements. And
the living do not forget the dead; for the men of 1861 bow with reverent
heads as they place their chaplets on the humble graves of their comrades
of 1775, and on the lonely hillside where Henry Jacobs lies buried, the des-
cending suu of each Memorial Day illumines the tiny flag, the emblem of
that fair land for whose freedom he gave up his young life.
Sixty years after the battle of Lexington the corner stone of the monu-
ment was laid. Judging by the standards of today, when valor finds such
ready recognition, the thoughtless would infer that the memory of brave
deeds had passed away, and that heroes had long slumbered in unmarked
and unhonored graves, while an ungrateful people were enjoying the bene-
fits they helped to establish with their blood. But no feeling of ingratitude
or forgetfuluess had crej^t into the hearts of the people. The deeds of their
dead were fresh in their memory.
The blessings bequeathed to them by their self sacrifice they freely ac-
knowledged. But men were not building monuments then, until time had
sufficiently mellowed the events to be commemorated. Heroes were plenty,
and heroic deeds, though not forgotten, were too common to be hastily
blazoned. Besides, Danvers did not lag in the matter. It was one year
later when Concord placed the granite shaft at the site of the old North
Bridge to commemorate their share of the glory of that day, and it was for
that occasion that Emerson wrote those lines so fitting in their lofty har-
" By that rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world."
The state of Massachusetts erected the battle monument at Lexington in
1799. This is thought to be the oldest memorial of the Revolution in the
country. The town of Acton honored her dead by a handsome granite
•monument in 1851. A liberty pole at the old Xorth Bridge at Salem, told of
Leslie's retreat, and no lasting memorial was placed there until a few years
Ten years before the first stone of our monument was placed in its bed,
the Bunker Flill monument was commenced. It was the 50th anniversary
of the battle, and the eloquence of Webster, speaking to the surviving vet-
erans on that occasion thrilled their aged forms with the fires of youth: —
"Venerable men you have come down to us from a former generation. Heaven has bounteously
lengthened out your lives that you might behold this joyous day."
It will be noticed that such memorials of Revolutionary events as pre-
ceded the Lexington monument at Danvers were erected by public funds or
public subscription, and it is believed that the citizens of no other town had
at that time, and for such a purpose, erected so fitting and appropriate a
monument at their own expense.
To John Upton, the grandfather of the venerable librarian of that name,
of the Peabody Institute, belongs the credit of starting the movement for a
monument. In public and private he agitated the subject, and through his
efforts a sufficient sum was raised to insure the success of the movement.
A public meeting was called, a committee was chosen who selected Asher
Benjamin as architect. As you ascend the hill, after crossing the railroad
on Summit street, in the pasture to the left, the stone was quarried. The
contractor was Samuel Brown. The coming 19th of April, the 60tli anniver-
sary of the battle was naturally chosen as the fitting day for laying the cor-
ner stone. On account of falling on Sunday that year, the ceremony took
place on Monday.
At ten o'clock on that day a procession was formed on the square, the
little group of surviving heroes in the front with a long line of citizens
from this and the neighboring towns marching behind. Escort duty was
l)erformed by the Danvers Light Infantry, Cajjt. William Sutton, and the
Danvers Artillery under Capt. Pratt, with a military band. In the light of
today, to the eye of the thoughtless, how poor this little pageant would
seem, and yet in the light of what it represented no grander proces.sson will
ever pass along our streets.
Arriving at the old burial ground three vollies of musketry were fired
over the graves of the slain whose bodies were laid there sixty years before,
the procession then countermarching to the site of the monument.
John W. Proctor Esq., announced the order of exercises, and prayer was
offered by Rev. Charles C. Sewall of the First Unitarian Church. The cor-
ner stone was then laid by the venerable General Foster, assisted by his old
Beneath the stone was deposited a box containing special memorials pre-
pared for the occasion, copies of newspapers of the vicinity printed on cloth,
and records engrossed on parchment; also the discharge papers of Ensign
Jacob Winchester, signed by George Washington, which were read to the
assembled citizens by John W. Proctor.
Gen, Foster briefly addressed his fellow citizens, his simple eloquence in-
spired by the occasion, going straight to the hearts of his fellow citizens.
The cannon of the artillery fired a salute of twenty-four guns, the church
bells rang a lively peal, and with the hurrahs of the crowd, the band play-
ing "Auld Lang Syne," the procession marched back to the old South
Sixty years before in this very building, the solemn funeral service had
been held over the bodies of the five young heroes whose names and deeds
the ceremony of that day was intended to perpetuate.
The church was thronged with an eager multitude and hundreds were un-
able to gain admittance.
The whole ceremony was remarkable in the fact, that from first to last,
the entire aii'air, from its inception to its consummation was in the hands of
the citizens of Danveis, and nobly did they aquit themselves. The grand
old group of survivors, the military, the clergyman who offered up prayer,
as well as he who pronounced the benediction, were part and parcel of our
The fii'st hymn that was sung was composed by Robert S. Daniels, the sec-
ond by Fitch Poole, while Jonathan Shove contributed the patriotic ode.
It was the golden age of oratory. Webster was then in the fulness of his
powers. Winthrop, Everett and Choate had swayed the multitude by their
commanding eloquence and beauty of diction. The occasion was great
enough for them could any or all of them have been here.
But the orator of the occasion was a townsman, whose birth, education
and experience naturally led to his selection. The address of Daniel P.
King, read in the cold light of today, will stir the blood of the most indiffer-
ent by the power and pathos of its language.
Nineteen survivors of the battle of Lexington, and of the Army of the Revo-
lution sat in the front pews, their presence lending a sijecial interest to the
occassion. Of these, twelve were natives of Danvers, namely: Gideon Foster,
Sylvester Osborn, Levi Preston, Johnson Proctor, Asa Tapley, Roger
Nourse, Joseph Shaw, John Jocelyn, Ephraim Smith, Jonathan Porter,
Joseph Tufts, William Flint. It wa-; their last meeting on eartli.
But before leaving these old heroes, let us pay our last tribute to him
whose honesty and integrity as a citizen, won for him the confidence and es-
teem of his countrymen. Gideon Foster was born in 1749, in a house on
the corner of Foster and Lowell streets, where the Thermometer Works now
stands. In 1792 he was promoted from Captain to Colonel. In 1796 he was
chosen Brigadier General. In 1801 he was made Major General, receiving
a unanimous vote in the House of Representatives, and there was but one
dissenting voice in the Senate. He lived to the extreme age of 96 years.
He had many vicissitudes of fortune, but through all his integrity was never
questioned. The dam which he built is still in existence, and the stream
where stood bis little chocolate mill, and in which some of us took our first
lessons in swimming, is called General's to this day.
The remainder of the little band passed away full of years and honors. In
due time the monument was finished, presenting then nearly the same ap-
pearance that it does today. It is composed of hewn Sieniete, closely re-
sembling a substance that will last for ages. It is 22 feet in height, and
seven feet broad at the base. It cost $1,000 and among tliose who con-
tributed liberally to its erection was George Peabody.
On the Easterly side on a slab of white marble set into the face of the
shaft, is this inscrii^tion: —
BATTLE OF LEXINGTON.
April 19, 1775.
Samuel Cook, Aet. .3.S Jotham Wkcb, Act. 22.
Ben.jamin Daland, Aet. 25. Henuy Jacobs, Aet. 22.
Geokge Soutuwick, Aet, 25, Eben'k Goldthwait, Aet. 22.
Pekley Putnam, Aet. 21.
Citizens of Danvers
Fell on tuat Day.
Dulce est decorum est pro patria mori.
On the westerly tablet Is inscribed :—
Ekkcted by the Citizens of Danvers on the 60th Anniversary, 1835.
On the westerly side of the shaft is a discoloration which occasioned
much fault finding at first, but when an old worthy pronounced it a perfect
representation of the Cap of Liberty the critics were silenced. For many
years there was a small grass plot which was enclosed by an iron railing.
During the summer months a venerable citizen, Amos Trask, took upon
himself the solemn duty of trimming the grass, and keeping the little en-
closure in order. He left no successor when he died, and before long the
monument and its surroundings showed the want of his tender care.
When the track of the Lynn street railway was laid down Washington
street, it was deemed necessary to remove the railing and the grass plot,
and a new base of hewn granite was substituted in place. It is interesting
to know that the same man who quarried and dressed the stones and set
them in position, completing the monument only 60 years after the battle,
was called upon to renew the work of his youth nearly half a century later.
It was gratifying to Samuel Brown that in the closiug years of his life he
should be chosen to perform the service, for he was the living link between
the present and the past and the monument was hallowed to him by the
most tender associations.
Let it be borne in mind that insidious attempts have in the past been made
to remove the monument from its present position on the grounds of im-
provement and convenience. Even new locations were indicated and offered,
but champions were always ready in its defence, and the indignant voice of
aroused patriotism silenced such schemes. He would be a bold as well as a
senseless person who would now advocate such a project.
So standing on the broad highway, in the midst of travel and trafflc, need-
ing no barrier for protection, naked and alone, it guards the spot where
men once stood, who feared not to go forth and die. More fitting than
fluted column, or sculptured arch is this humble shaft of stone from our
native hills. The men whose deeds it marks though worthy of the costliest
memorial that a grateful people could raise, were plain men, who did to
them a plain duty.
It teaches its silent lesson to the wayfarer who stops to read its story and
thinks how young these men were; to the children coming home from
school; to the workmen going to their labors, to the worshippers returning
from their devotions.
Robert Hale said that "The battle of Waterloo put back civilization a
hundred years," but if there had been no Lexington or Bunker Hill, if the
men of Danvers and Concord, of Massachusetts and Virginia had failed at
the critical moment, if there had been no Washington, nor Warren, nor
I'utnam, if Saratoga and Yorktown liad no meaning, what mind can fathom
the dire consequences to Civilization and to Humanity.
The fire kindled on that morning of the 19th of April, 1775, burst into a
flame at Bunker Hill, lighting up the forests, the valleys and the hilltops
throughout the thirteen colonies.
The men of the Carolinas as well as by the Connecticut saw that light,
and from the White hills to Georgia's pines they were ready, waiting for its
gleams. Then began that battle for independence, which measured either
by the extraordinary character of the contending i)arties, the valor and
constancy by which it was maintained or the tremendous influence which it
exercised on human destiny, remains unparalleled in the world's history.
GATEWAY OF THE OLD MAIN ST. BURIAL GROUND WHERE THE SOLDIERS
WERE BURIED WHO WERE KILLED AT THE BATTLE OF LEXINGTON.
PUBLISHED ev PEAaODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY, PEABODY, MASS* NO. 50.
REV. NATHAN HOLT, PASTOR OF SOUTH CHURCH-DANVERS,
NOW PEABODY~FROM 1758 TO 1792.
PUBLISHED BY COURTESY ESSEX INSTITUTE, SALEM.
TWELFTH ANNUAL REPORT
PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
INCORPORATED AUGUST 15th, 1896.
OFFICERS, 1907— 1908.
President, ... Francis H. Appleton
1st Vice President, - - Thomas Cabuoll,
2d Vice President, - - Jeffep.son K. Cole
Treasurer, - - - Sylvanus L. Newhall,
Assistant Treasurer, - - Helen C. Allen
Recording Secretary, - - Maky A. Fornbss
Corresponding Secretary, - Mrs. Elizabeth C. Osbokn
Curator, . - - - Mary A. Osbobn
Librarian . . - Mrs. Elizabeth C. Osborn
Chairman Hospitality Com. - Mrs. Alice C. Osborn.
Daniel H. Felton, Lyman P. Osborn, P. H. O'Conob,
Miss Mary W. Nichols, Mrs. Nancy J. Moulton, Mrs. J. J. Thornoike
Richards B. Mackintosh, Mrs. Jos. G. Porter, Rev. Oscar F. Safford.
DELEGATE TO THE BAY STATE HISTORICAL LEAGUE.
Rev. O. F. Safford.
REGULAR MEETINGS 1907— 1908.
May 8. In the absence of the President, Vice President Mr. Thomas Car-
roll presided. The annual reports of the Recording Secretary,
Miss Forness, the Treasurer, Mr. Newhall, and the Corresponding
Secretary and Librarian, Mrs. Osborn, were read and accepted
and the usual officers for the year elected. Mr. Jefferson K. Cole
second Vice President, was the speaker of the evening and gave
a most interesting talk on " Lee's Surrender," Mr. Cole having
been present when the event took place. Remarks in apprecia-
tion of the address were made at its close by Mr. W. W. Wood-
man, Miss Sarah J. C Needham and Capt. Wm. F. Wiley, the
latter giving also some reminiscences.
Aug. 7. The Field meeting usually held in August was this year omitted
for two reasons: viz: that the Society had received numerous
invitations to be present at out-door functions, and second that
no very suitable place seemed to be available.
Nov. 13. Reports were made by the delegates to the different meetings to
which the Society had been invited during the summer.
Mr. Richards B. Mackintosh gave an account of the Field Meet-
ing of the Essex Institute held at Ipswich in July.
Miss Mary A. Forness described the Gloucester celebration, in
honor of the first settlement there in 1823.
Mrs. Lyman P. Osborn told of the meeting of the Bay State His-
torical League which was entertained by the Mai'blehead His-
torical Society, and the meeting of Old Planters Society, and
Gardner Reunion at the old Gardner Farm, Bow St., West Pea-
Mr. W. W. Woodman gave an account of the Memorial meeting
at the First Church in Boston at which a statue of John Cotton
was presented to the church by his descendants.
Vice President Carroll then spoke of the great loss sustained by
the Society in the death of Rev. Oscar F. Safford, D. D.
Dr. Safford was our delegate to the Bay State Historical League
and though unwilling to fill a more prominent office was a most
loyal and active member, ready and willing to do whatever was
most needed for the benefit of the Society. He was most inter-
ested in the Subject of Witchcraft and at the Field Meeting in
West Peabody on Aug. 2, 1899, at Proctor's Corner on Aug. 14,
1901, and at the Unveiling of the Proctor Memorial Tablet on Oct.
3, 1902, he gave us the benefit of his studies of Witchcraft.
On May 7, 1902, he spoke on the "Poet Whittier." On May
0, 1903, he gave an account of the formation of the Bay State His-
torical League and on 19th of April, 1904, a short address, in fact
no subject before the society was quite complete without a word
Mar. 12. A most interesting and instructive talk on "The first settlement
in Salem 1626 by the old Planters," illustrated by sketches of the
country as they found it, by Mr. Sidney Perley.
April 19. This day was observed in the usual way, by decorating the Lex-
ington monument with laurel and the graves of the Revolutionary
soldiers by flags. The rooms of the society were open all day
and in the evening a simi)le but appropriate meeting was held.
In the absence of the President, Gen. F. H. Appleton, Vice Presi-
dent Carroll presided and made ai)proi)riate opening remarks.
Mr. Jefferson K. Cole spoke of Gideon Foster, the leader of our
little band of " Minute Men," of his life and character.
The i)lacing of a memorial tablet in memory of Gideon Foster
was discussed and approved and a committee was appointed,
composed of Mr. Thomas Carroll, Mr. William Armstrong and Mr.
Lyman P. Osborn to make suitable plans.
With words of kindly remembrance of Rev. A. P. Putnam, D. D.,
and of his helpful interest i)i our Society, Mr. Carroll introduced
Miss Sallie Batchelder who read Dr. Putnam's Poems, "Danvers'
Martyrs" and " Heroes of '75."
On motion of Mr. William Armstrong it was voted to petition the
town to correspond with the Boston & Northern St. R. K., and ask
that they repair the damage which recently occurred to our Lex-
The usual informal reception followed the meeting when refresh-
ments were served by Mrs. Alice C. Osborn, chairman of the Hos-
Nov. 13, 1907.
Miss Dorothea Sawtelle,
Miss Alice N. Teague,
Miss Nettie M. Willey,
Miss Carrie Upton,
May 6, 1908.
Mr. Walter C. Merrill,
May 6, 1908.
Mrs. Annie 8. Merrill,
Mrs. Helen K. Robinson,
Mr. Fred N. Moore,
Mrs. Charlotte W. Moore,
Miss Grace R. Torr,
Mr. John Meagher.
Henry Varney Buxton,
James Augustus King,
Sarah Mansur Moore,
Hannah Richards Osborn,
Charles Sewell Osgood,
Oscar Fitzalan Safford,
Charles Frederick Thorudike,
b. July 23, 1824, d. Sept. 24, 1905
b. Nov. 16, 1844,
b. Aug. 16, 1841,
b. Nov. 20, 1830,
b. Sept. 13, 1846,
b. Dec. 25, 1837,
b. Oct. 18, 1845,
d. Jan. 1, 1908
d. Aug. 1, 1907
d. May 26, 1907
d. June 15, 1907
d. Sept. 14, 1907
d. July 16, 1907
The Treasurer of the Peabody Historical Society respectfully submits the
following report for the year ending May 1, 1908:
Amount in hands of the Treasurer May 1, 1907, - $147.21
Received for Admissions and Dues to May 1, 1908, - - 106.00
From sale of Post Cards, - - - - 101.10
From Town Treasurer for the years 1907-1908 to
decorate the Lexington Monument April 19, 10.00
Interest ou deposit in Warren F. C. S. Bank, - 3.40
Interest from Samuel Stimpson Fund, - - 40.00
Also Samuel B. Stimpson Fund,
Paid rent to April 1, 1908, $150.00
Electric Light, ------ 5.57
For entertainment committee, Edgerly, - - - .65
For entertainment committee, Watkins, - - 3.75
Decorating Lexington Monument for years 1907, 1908,
19th April, 10.00
Insurance ....-- 12.50
Lettering windows ------ 9.60
Tax, Bay State League, - - - - 1.00
J. M. Ward, wreath - - . - - - 3.00
Catalogue Card, 3.00
Expressage on Books, ----- .65
C. H. Shepard for 4 half tone cuts - - - 10.00
Envelopes for Treasurer, ... - 2. 67
Use of Banquet ball April 20, 1908, - - - 3.00
4 Dozen Flags for the graves of Revolutionary Soldiers 3.00
Balance in hands of Treasurer, ... 188.22
Deposit in Warren F. C. S. Bank, Samuel B. Stimpson Fund, 1,000.00
Sylvanus L. Nevfhall, Treas.
Peabody, May 1, 1908.
REPORT OF CORRESPONDING SECRETARY AND
Invitations have been received for the following meetings:
July 11. Field Meeting of the Essex Institute at Ipswich.
July 20. Annual meeting of Bay State Historical League at Marblebead.
Aug. 14. Gardner Reunion at Old Gardner house in West Peabody by the
Old Planter's Society.
Aug. 15. Gloucester Day celebration and the Unveiling of Tablet in mem-
ory of First Settlers, 1623, at Stage Fort Park.
Oct. 10. First Church in Boston and Presentation of John Cotton Memor-
ial by descendants.
Old Planters' Society, held in Boston, subject, " John Endicott."
Bay State Historical League at Essex Institute subject, Geneology.
Old Planters' Society, held in Boston, subject, " The Old Planters
of Cape Ann, 1623, and Salem, 1626," by Dr. Frank Gardner.
Lafayette Memorial meeting by Sharon Historical Society.
Bay State Historical League at Brookline, subject, " What can
a Historical Society do for the Improvement of the Locality."
The Society has been represented at these meetings by Gen. Ap-
pleton, Mr. Carroll, Mr. Mackintosh, Mr. Woodman, Mr. Robinson,
Mr. Pennimau, Miss Needham, Miss Forness, Mrs. Foster, Mrs.
I'oor, Mrs. Palmer, Miss Allen, Miss Trask, Mrs. Pendar and
Mrs. Osboru, many of whom have given reports of the meeting.
Not only pleasure but instruction and inspiration for our own
work has been gained by this contact with other workers along
the lines of the objects of our Society.
During the past year there have been added to our collection 65
Bound Volumus, 9 music books, 61 pamphlets, 9 broadsides, 24
newspapers, 4 clippings, 37 mans., deeds, 1 map, 45 programs,
tickets, etc., 7 coins, stamps. 92 postals, photographs, half tone
plates and 47 articles for the cabinet. These have been donated
by 27 members and 31 friends and the number in our accession
book has now reached 3252. Among our new gifts may be men-
tioned two pieces of the Old Danvers Pottery, pamphlets and
books written by three of our members, Mrs. Sarah P. Joslin, Mr.
Thomas Carroll and Fred N. Moore, some old school books and
writing books. A few collection of relics has been given us by
the Peabody Veteran Firemen's Association.
A good start has been made in our genealogical papers and it is
hoped that every member will coutribute at least one line of des-
cent during the next year. One of the pleasantest Historical
meetings ever enjoyed by our Delegates was that at Gloucester
last summer when our valued member and friend Dr. Safford was
one of our little party just a month before his death. His great
interest in historical work both local and abroad, and his wise
judgment has helped guide us on our way, and so we shall ever
treasure his volume of Longfellow's Poems, enclosing also within
it's covers Longfellows last autograph letter, which has been most
kindly presented to the Society by his children, Mr. Oscar D.
Safford and Mrs. Charlotte W. Morrill.
The public acknowledgment of our gifts concerning the town,
George Peabody and the High School has served to call attention
to such collections as are not complete and many friends have
added their mites to make them so. It is hoped too that all
omissions or errors will also be brought to our attention.
Reports have been exchanged with the Librarian of Congress,
Secretary and Library of Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Essex
Institute and Peabody Academy of Science of Salem, New Eng-
land Historical and Genealogical Society, University of Michigan
and the Historical Societies of Wisconsin, New Hampshire,
Ipswich, Lynn, Cambridge, Norwood, Leominster and Schenectady
Co., N. Y.
The Rooms of the Society have been open as usual every Monday
afternoon throughout the year from 2.30 till 5 o'clokc with mem-
bers of the following Committee in attendance Mrs. Nancy J.
Moulton, Miss Helen C. Allen, Mrs. L. P. Osborn, Miss Mary A.
Osborn, Mrs. H. Maria Palmer, Mrs. Minnie A. Shanahau, Mrs.
Susan E. Thorndike, Mrs. Annie S. Porter. Several Afternoon
Teas have been served and Fortune telling added to the pleasure
of one afternoon.
Grateful acknowledgment is due the donors of the following articles:
books, newspapers, etc., connected in some way with the Revolution of
Gift. Author Donok
Adams' "Letters" John and Samuel Adams. Susanna Mills
Adams, John and Thomas
Jefferson Daniel Webster Samuel Stimpson
Adams, Mrs. John, dress
worn at Court of St. , , xr i
James, 1785 Misses Eliza and Helen
Arnold, Benedict. Broad- .
side, concerning Adaline A. Little
"Bell Tavern," manuscript E. C. Osborn Mrs. Lyman P. Osborn
"Bell Tavern," American i n i
Almanac of 1778, pr. "in" E. Russell Misses Eliza and Helen
' ^ Philbrick
"Bell Tavern," American
Almanac 1780, pr. "next" " Mrs. L. P. Osborn
'•Bell Tavern," American ^^ „
Almanac 1781, pr. "near' "
Almanac of ,,1782, pr. in . , ,. a t •4-*i«
Boston) ■.. a .-a •• Adalme A. Little
Almanac, of; 1776,'pr. in „ „
Mrs. Hannah Foster "A Friend"
N. I. Bowditch
"Bell Tavern," Bulls eye
pane of glass from front
"Bell Tavern," Coin found
in floor of, Face, ''Louis
VIII, R. de F. & de Nav.
Reverse, Laird de France 1697
"Bell Tavern," "Coquette,
or History of Eliza
Wharton," 1st Ed. 1797
"Bell Tavern," "Coquette,
or History of Eliza Whar-
ton, 11th Ed. 1828,
"Bell Tavern," wall paper
from room once occupied
by Elizabeth Whitman,
Boston Daily Advertiser
with account of lanterns
placed in North Church
19th April, 1775
Boston Tea Party, chips from
"Doggett orBradlee House"
where some of the Tea
Party dressed as Indians
Bowditch, Nathaniel, Me-
Bowditch, Nathaniel, "Nat
Bowditch, Nathaniel, "New
Bowditch, Nathaniel, Photo
of Osborn house, his
home, in 1777, built by
John Osborn about 1761 Mrs. J. W. Hudson
Bunker Hill, Memorial of
Bunker Hill, souvenir
handkerchief of July 17,
1825, at laying of corner
stone of monument
Bunker Hill, Transcript
clipping concerning Dan-
vers Soldiers in
Bullet mold found in Old
Wilson House, Wilson
Button from coat of Box-
Calico used for wedding
dress; price, one bushel
of corn (worth $1.00) a
Canteen which belonged to
Colonial money, $1.00
Colonial money, $3.00,
$4.00, $5.00, $6.00, $8.00
Charles H. Putnam
Mrs. Annie T. Tenney
Mrs. Isaac Drowne
Mrs. L. P. Osborn
Mr. and Mrs. G. E. Fowle
Charles P. Bowditch
Mrs. J. W. Hudson
Nathaniel Bowditch George S. Osborne, M.D.
Wm. H. Whitmore
Lucius B. Marsh
Mrs. J. W. Hudson
Mrs. Sarah Spofford
Mrs. Frank Harris
May F. Herrick
Mrs. Sarah M. Moore
Daniel H. Felton
A. B. Galloupe
Colonial Money, $2, and $4
Commission of Lt. Eben-
ezer Peabody, signed by
Cup and saucer belonging
to Mrs. Nath'l Putnam
"Danvers, History of"
Adaline A. Little
Sarah P. Foster
Mrs. M. O. Stevens
G. Horace Merrill
Rev. J. W. Hanson
"Danvers Martyrs," a poem Rev. A. P. Putnam, D.D Rev. A. P. Putnam, D.D
Danvers Military and
dence, Fac-simele of
Declaration of Indepen-
dence, "Lives of the
Directory of Newspapers
and Magazines of 1777
Dorchester Heights N'onu-
ment, March 17, 1902
Evacuation Day Memorial,
March 17, 1901
Foster, Gideon, autograph
letters to Miss Fannie
Marsh, school mistress
Foster, Gideon, senior's
Bible with family record
Foster, Gideon, Buttons
and epaulet from coat
worn by him
Foster, Gideon, coffin plate
Foster, Gideon, deed to
Zaehariah King, et al
Foster, Gideon, Eulogy on,
Foster, Gideon, Eulogy on,
1845 Daniel P
Foster, Gideon, Hymn book
Mr. Julius Peale, Town
G. Fred Osgood
Rev. Chas. A. Goodrich E. C. Kimball
Mrs. Sarah M. Moore
Commonwealth of Mass. Commonwealth of Mass
Daniel P. King
Foster, Gideon, Portrait
Foster, Gideon, marriage
in Nov. 25, 1828
Foster, Gideon, order of
funeral exercises, Nov.
Foster, Gideon, poster of
auction of the effects of
his son, John Foster, May
Foster, Gideon, sidesaddle
of his daughter
Foster, Gideon, " Tongue
of Time," presented 17th
of June on Bunker Hill
Monument by Amos
W. H. Clayton
Painted by M. C. Torrey
eng. on stone, E. Nutting
Hon. B. F. Southwick
Adaline A. Little
Mrs. Richard Ward
Henry H. Proctor
D. Webster King
Lucy L. Symonds
Adaline A. Little
Sylvanus L. Newhall
Sylvanus L. Newhall
Charles P. Bancroft
Mrs. Mary W. Melcher
Mrs. Ellen Buxton
William Harrison, A, M Sylvanus L. Newhall
Franklin, Benjamin, auto-
Franklin, Benjamin, auto-
biography, etc., 1815
Franklin, Benjamin, auto-
biography, etc., 1856 Epes Sargent
Franklin, Benjamin, life
of, ill. by Tales and
Sketches, 1838 Thomas Cowperthwait& Co.
Gun, English flint-lock
Gun, French flint-lock
Hancock, John, engraving of
Henry, Patrick, cane made
from wood from House of
Burgesses, where he made
his famous speech
"Heroes of '76" a dramatic
History of War of Indepen-
Holten, Hon. Samuel, auto-
graph letter of to Jere-
miah Shelden, Sept. 15,
Lafayette, his visit to
Salem in 1824, autograph
of Wm. T. Dole who rode
Lafayette, Badge worn on
day of procession by
Lafayette, Damask of old
gold from canopy of bed
occupied by him in 1824
Adaline A. Little
Geo. L. Osborn, M. D.
L. H. Farr
Elizabeth C. Kimball
Hon. B. F. Southwick
bertto, Chas. E.Cobb
Alice E. Trask
Harriet S. Thacher
Mrs. F. Gray
Wm. T. Dole
Lafayette, eulogy of, Oct.
Lafayette, notice of Essex
Hussars who acted as es-
corts in Salem
Eliza and Helen Phil-
J. Augustus King
The following pamphlets are for sale by the Society, the rooms being open
to the public every Monday afternoon: —
"The Home of John Proctor" by William P. Upham, - - $ .25
"Dedication of Memorial Tablet at Birthplace of George Peabody, .25
A folded sheet containing a list of "Some places of Historic Interest in
our town," --------.05
Annual Report with "Story of the High School," by Thomas Carroll, .25
Annual Report with " Story of the Lexington Monument," by Thomas
Postal Cards with local views,
Photographs of local views,
1 Peabody Institute. 28
2 George Peabody's Birthplace. 29
3 Queen Victoria's Portrait in Pea- .30
body Institute. 31
4 Town Hall. 32
5 High school. 33
6 Soldiers' Monument and Old
"South Church." 34
7 Lexington Monument. 35
8 John Proctor Memorial. 36
9 Old Proctor House. 37
10 Ship Rock.
11 " Bowditch House." 38
12 Osborn House. 39
13 Apple Tree Lane, Osborn Farm.
14 Peabody from Buxton's Hill. 40
15 Catholic Church and Parochial
16 Convent, Parochial School and 42
Parochial Residence. 43
17 Chestnut Street and Town 44
18 Elm Street and Entrance to 46
Monumental Cemetery. 47
19 Residence of Lewis Brown, 48
South Peabody. 49
20 Crystal or Upham's Pond, West 50
21 "Phelp's Mill," West Peabody.
22 Home for Aged Women. 52
23 Cattle Show.
24 Unitarian Church. 53
25 Burial Place of George Peabody. 54
26 Parson Prescott House, Central 55
27 Peabody Square in 1902.
.03 each, or two for .05
05, .10, .15 .25, .35, .50
Peabody Square in 1905.
Wilson Square in 1902.
Wilson Square in 1906.
Triangle at Felton's corner, 1906.
Buxton's Hill in 1905.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church,
George Peabody, 1869.
View of Peabody from the Metho-
Peabody Square, cor. Foster St.
Main Street, looking west from
Church and Schoolhouse, West
Gen. Appleton's House.
Salem Country Club House.
West Peabody Station.
Salem Golf Club House.
Peabody Square, 1890,
Peabody Square, 1848.
Peabody High School, 1850.
Peabody High School, 1855.
( Sylvester Proctor's Drug Store,
( John Lord's Drying Yard.
Curtis-Very Burial Lot.
Peabody from Salem.
Gateway of Old Burial Ground.
Nathan Holt's Gravestone.
P D l« 1
0&^ \. ■'^oTT'' ,0-' -^
ST. AUGUSTINE ^^ 0^ °
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
014 430 299