^/)^<^^ ^c*^^ ;^S
, o " o ^
<f> fvV . O N
,0 "V *- » « ° ' . ^J-^
EIGHTH ANNUAL REPORT
PEABODY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
INCORPORATED AUGUST 15TH, 1896.
OFFICERS, IQ03— 1904.
President, . . . Francis IT. Applrtox
1st Vice President, . . Thomas Carroi,l
2d Vice President, . . Miss S. J. C. Nkedham
Treasurer, . . , Syi.vanus L. Newhali.
Assistant Treasurer, . . Helen C. Allen
Recording Secretary, . . Mary A. Forness
Corresponding Secretary, . Mrs. L. J. Thomas
Curator, .... Mary A. Osborn
Librarian, . . . Mrs. Lyman P. Osrorn
Chairman Hospitality Com., , Mrs. D. P. Grosvenor
Daniel H. Felton, Robert H. Gowing, Miss Helen Allen,
Miss Mary W. Nichols, Mrs. Nancy J. Moulton, Rufus H. Brown,
Richards B. Mackintosh, Miss Mary M. Farley^, Oscar F. Safford.
DELEGATE TO THE BAY STATE LEAGUE.
Rev. O. F. Safford, D. D.
REGULAR MEETINGS, 1903— 1904.
May 6. Annual Meeting. Reading of annual reports. Account of forma-
tion of Bay State League, by Itev. O. F. SatTord, 1). I). Election
of Officers. Informal talk about trees by several members of the
Sept. 2. Annual Field Meeting, postponed from Aug. .'ith, held at the resi-
dence of Miss S. .J. C. N»iedhara of West Peabody. The parly
assembled in the late forenoon, and had lunch on the lawn at 1.15.
The meeting was called to order at 2 p. m. by Vice President Car-
roll. Miss S. J. C. Needham read a pai)er on the "Needham
Homestead"; Mr. William P. Upham read a ]>aper on " Morey's
Bound " ; Dr. Frank Gardner presented a paper on "The Military
Service of the Gardner Family " ; informal remarks were made by
Hon. Francis H. Appleton, President, and by several other mem-
bers of the Society, touching the local history of the neighbor-
hood. An op})ortmiity was given to go t)ver the old house, the
earliest part of which was built in 16(35.
^ . .A ^
Nov. 4. Informal talk on " Mount Pleasant" by Mr. Daniel H. Felton,
whose ancestors were anionjj^ the early settler? of this locality.
Mr. Richards B. Macl<iiit()sh fjave a talk on "Mushrooms," which
he illustrated by means of a chafing-dish.
Dec. 2. Informal talk on "Life iu the Philippines," by Mr. S. P. R. Thomas.
Feb. 3. Paper on " Poe and Hawthorne " by Rev. Geo. D. Latimer of Salem.
Aph. 19. Celebration of the Battle of Lexington. Opening remarks by Rev.
O. F. Siifford. Paper, " Thoughts Suggested by the Anniversary,"
by Miss S. J. C. Needham. Informal talk on "The Study of His-
tory," by Mr. W. W. Woodman, principal of the Peabody High
The Society has had printed during the year picture post-cards of some of
the places of historic interest in Peabody, viz. : The Peabody Institute, Birth-
place of George Peabody, the Lexington Monument, the Bowditch House,
Ship Rock, Peabody Square and the South Church, the Old Proctor House,
aiul tlie Proctor Memorial.
These are for sale at Grosvenor's drug store, Raymond's periodical store,
at the Historical rooms and by members of the Society.
BAY STATE LEAGUE.
The Bay State League is an organization composed of the Historical Soci-
eties of .Massachusetts, so far as these shall a]iply for membership and fulfill
its conditions, the object of the League being to foster the historical interest
in the cities and towns of the Commonwealtli. The League was organized
in Boston Feb., 1903, and the Peabody Historical Society was represented
iu tlie charter membership. The President and tlie Secretary are ex-ofhcio
members of the League, and Rev. O. F. Saftord, D. D., of thfs Society, is a
member of the League Executive Committee. The League has made a
promising beginning, and afield meeting under its auspices at Lexington,
June 4, 1904, remains a pleasant memory with several of our members who
were in attendance.
June 24. Annual Field meeting, Uanvers Historical Society, on Winter
Island, Salem harbor.
Jan. 21. Haverhill. Exercises at the opening of " The Buttouwoods,"
the new home of the Haverhill Historical Society.
Feb. 10. Midwinter meeting of tlie Old Planters' Society, Salem.
Mar. 23. Annual meeeting. Old Planters' Society, at the Rooms of the
Massacluisetts Historical Society, Boston.
REPORT OF CURATOR AND LIBRARIAN.
Present number of gifts in accession book, 2,117. Gifts during the past
year number 220, from 16 members and 39 non-members. These include 21
articles for Cabinet and Room, 8 pictures, 4 maps, 103 bound volumes, 02
pamphlets, 42 leafiets, 37 newspapers, 41 manuscripts. One of the most in-
teresting additions to the room is that of marble busts of Gen. William
Sutton and Mr. Eben Sutton, the property of Mrs. John Sutton of Salem.
Mrs. Laura A. Gould, Nov. 4, 1903. Mr. James A. King. Feb. 3, 1904,
Mr, Otis F, Brown, April 19, 1904.
Mr. Charles B. Farley,
Mr. Rufus H. Browu,
.Jan. 10, 1820— June 18, 190.3
June 5, 1825— Feb. 6, 1904
The Treasurer of the Peabody Historical Society respectfully submits the
following report for year ending May 4, 1904,
Amount on hand at last report, , . , , $157.32
Received for Admissions, .... 3.00
For Dues, ,,,.,. 143.00
Interest from Savings Bank, . . , , 4.78
Barge Money and Contributions for Field Meeting,
Sept., 1903, ..... 20,80
From Hospitality Committee, balance from February
meeting, ..,.., .55
From Town Treasurer, for Decorating Lexington
Monument, 19 April, 1904, . , . 5.00
Paid one year's rent to April 1, 1904,
Admission Fee to Bay State Historical League, .
Electric liighting, .....
3^ dozen Flags for Revolutionary Soldiers' Graves,
Expenses of Secretaries and Treasurer for year 190-3-
Envelopes, Postals and Postage,
Printing Annual Report, ....
Expenses of Hospitality Committee, Sept. meeting.
Barges, Sept. meeting, , . , . ,
Decorating Lexington Monument, 19 April, 1904,
S. L. Newhall, Treas.
^- G° *^ -"- - -
S> c ° " °
■^^^^ J'^\ "^J%^^' '^^'^ ^^^^.* ^ "^ ^.^^^\^* ^^'
■^ " o ^ <J>
, OOBBS BROS.
v\ LIBRARY BINDING
ST. AUGUSTINE "^ '-^ ' .' t- ^
o - \ " .A. •<