(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "The Annual report of the Connecticut Historical Society"

Author 



Title 



Imprint. 



le — 17372-2 OPO 



\3SG 



THE 
CONNECTICUT 



HISTORICAL 



SOCIETY 



Annual Report for the Year 1956 




^G "9 || 









-% 







THE Connecticut Historical Society can put to good use funds 
for general expenses, for publication purposes and for the care 
and increase of the library and museum. Such funds would form 
appropriate and permanent memorials to continue life interests of 
an individual or a group of individuals. 

You are urged to include your historical society as a beneficiary 
w^hen preparing your will. The following form is suggested: 
/ give and bequeath to The Connecticut Historical Society, 
a corporation existing under the laws of the State of Con- 
necticut and located in the City of Hartford in said State, 

dollars in trust, the income from 

which is to be used for the 

The President or the Director of the Society will be happy to 

discuss this matter with interested persons and suggest specific 

purposes for which such bequests may be made. Gifts to the 

Society are deductible from Federal Estate and Income Taxes. 

The Connecticut Historical Society 

I Elizabeth Street, Hartford 5, Connecticut 

Telephone ADams 3-2397 

Open free to the Public 

THE LIBRARY 

Open daily 9:30 — 5:30 P.M. except Sundays and holidays. 

THE MUSEUM 
Open Monday — Friday 1:00 — 5:00 P.M.; Saturdays 10:00 — 5:00 
P.M. Closed Sundays and holidays. Group tours at other times 
may be arranged upon application. 

The Building is closed Saturdays at noon during June, July and 
August. 

The Lecture Series is held on the first Tuesday of the months of 

October through May at 7:45 P.M. 

The Annual Meeting is held on the third Tuesday in May. 



THE ANNUAL REPORT OF 



Containing the Reports and Papers Pre- 
sented at THE ANNUAL MEETING field On 

May i^, ig^6 together with a list of of- 
ficers then elected, and of the accessions 
made during the year. 




Chcvtcrcd 182^ 



Published by the Society 
I Elizabeth Street 

HARTFORD 5 ' CONNECTICUT 



STAFF 

Thompson R. Harlow, Director; William L. Warren, Assistant Director; 
Frances A. Hoxie, Assistant to the Librarian; Marjorie F. 
Waterman, Chief of Reading Room; Jessie A. Parsons, Cata- 
loguer; Charles B. Russell, Guide; Phyllis Kihn, Editor; James 
Tomasiello, Superintendent. 



PATRONS 

Muriel Alvord, West Hartford; Houghton Bulkeley, Hartford; Philip 
H. Hammerslough, West Hartford; Hanford MacNider, Mason 
City, Iowa; Edgar F. Waterman, Hartford. 



FELLOWS 

Hiram Bissell Carey, Farmington. 
George Matthew Dutcher, Middletown. 
Samuel Herbert Fisher, Litchfield. 
James Lippincott Goodwin, Hartford. 



HONORARY LIFE MEMBERS 

Thompson R. Harlow, Newington. 
Mrs. Albion B. Wilson, Hartford. 



BENEFACTOR MEMBER 

Theora J. Bunnell, Baltimore, Maryland. 



Designed and printed 

at the Sign of the Stone Boof( 

in Hartford, Connecticut by 

Case, Locf^wood & Brainard 

1956 



OFFICERS 

Elected May 75, 7956 



President. NEWTON C. BRAINARD, Hartford. 

Vice-Presidpint. CHARLES S. BISSELL, Suffiei.d. 

Recording Secretary, FRANCES A. HOXIE, Manchester. 

Treasurer, ALLERTON C. HICKMOTT, West Hartford. 



Standing Com.mittee, h 



Library Committee, 



Publication Committee, 



Program Committee, 



Auditing Committee, 



Acquisitions Committee, 



Finance Committee, 



Membership Committee, -< 



{ 
{ 
{ 
{ 
{ 



RANDOLPH T. NIELSEN, Wethersfield. 

DR. ERNEST CAULFIELD, West Hartford. 

HOUGHTON BULKELEY, Hartford. 

JOHN M. K. DAVIS, Avon. 

WARD S. JACOBS, Hartford. 

DR. H. GILDERSLEEVE JARVIS, West 

FLORENCE S. MARCY CROFUT, Hartford. 

ROBERT EWING. West Hartford. 

PHILIP H. HAMMERSLOUGH, West Hartford 

MRS. ALLYN SEYMOUR. Bloov.field. 

MARJORIE E. CASE, West Hartford. 

SHEPHERD M. HOLCOMBE. West Hartford. 

MAXWELL L. BRAINARD, West Hartford. 

MURIEL ALVORD, West Hartford. 

JOSEPH SIMONS, West Hartford. 

ROBERT EWING, West Hartford. 

ELLSWORTH GRANT, West Hartford. 

RICHARD C. LINCOLN. JR., Hartford. 

JOHN M. K. DAVIS, Avon. 

JAMES BREWSTER, West Hartford. 

DR. ERNEST CAULFIELD, West Hartford. 

ALBERT E. VAN DUSEN, Storrs. 

D. G. BRINTON THOMPSON. West Hartford. 

MELANCTHON W. JACOBUS, Hartford. 

HARRY K. TAYLOR, Hartford. 

MRS. HAROLD G. HOLCOMBE, West Hartford 

DR. THACHER W. WORTHEN, Hartford. 

HAROLD G. HOLCOMBE, West Hartford. 

SAMUEL P. WILLIAMS, Hartford. 

NEWTON C. BRAINARD. Hartford. 

CHARLES S. BISSELL, Suffield. 

PHILIP H. HAMMERSLOUGH, West Hartford. 



Hartford. J 

}■ 

}■■ 

> 2 year 

}■• 



Endowment Com.mittee, ^ 



{ 



• 1 Elected May 1954 
2 Elected May 1955 



BARCLAY ROBINSON, Avon. 

SPENCER GROSS, Hartford. 

NEWTON C. BRAINARD. Hartford. 

EDGAR F. WATERMAN, Hartford. 

MAYNARD T. HAZEN. Hartford. 

WILLIAM H. PUTNAM, Hartford. 

MORGAN B. BRAINARD, Hartford. 
WILLIAM H. PUTNAM, Hartford. 
HOUGHTON BULKELEY, Hartford. 



for three year term. Expires May 1957. 
for three year term. Expires May 1958. 



}■■ 
}• 
}■• 




The .luditonuiu , shown under construction. Occupancy is scheduled for 
the Fall, ig^6. Picture ta}{en in July. 



Report of the President 

EXCEPT for the year when we purchased our present home, no 
year of the Society's existence has had more events of im- 
portance than this which we have just finished. The first event 
was in the line of progress. The Society voted to add an assembly 
hall to its building. Progress on this has been admittedly slow but 
the structure has assumed a definite shape in this last week. Prog- 
ress was followed by disaster in the August flood. Our financial 
loss was heavy but, strange to say, the damage to our collections 
which has been reported to you was unbelievably selective in its 
effect and we lost little of real moment. The incident was most 
disturbing, particularly because it gave us concern as to possible 
repetitions of it, as well as casting doubt on the wisdom of pro- 
ceeding with our assembly hall. After a careful study, there seemed 
to be no reason why we should not go ahead, taking such precau- 
tions as were possible to minimize the hazard. A bright spot in 
the general gloom which this incident caused was the frequent 
comment from our out-of-town members as to the value which 
the Society had been to them and their willingness to contribute 
in accordance with their abilities. 

Your Director will give you the details of this fateful year, as 
well as our acquisitions and activities, our progress and our future 
aspirations. Let me devote my part to some comments on the ob- 
jectives of the Society and the facilities needed to implement them. 
Article II of our Bylaws, defining the purpose of our organiza- 
tion says: 

"The purpose of the Society is to discover, procure and preserve 
whatever may relate to the civil, ecclesiastical and natural history 
of Connecticut. Its aim is to collect, preserve and publish histori- 
cal, genealogical and biographical material relating to the State 
of Connecticut." 

These purposes are just as important now as they were when 
the Society was incorporated over 130 years ago. We who are now 
members must see that they are carried out and that our Society 
is primarily a reservoir of useful source material which is used, 
and not just a safe-deposit vault where it is stored. To be used, our 
collections must be properly listed and catalogued. When this is 
cione, we must maintain an adequate staff to serve the public. We 



now have a willing and competent staff, inadequate in number, 
and there is an indescribable accumulation of uncatalogued ma- 
terial which they cannot readily make available. 

Praise of the stafT is not given here as a routine item in my re- 
port. Last summer they spent not only days, but weeks and months 
working on damp, smelly, dirty papers, or at least in an unpleasant 
atmosphere from which they could not escape. They deserve a 
special vote of thanks. 

Aside from the flood expense, our operating expenses this past 
year were kept within our budget and showed a surplus both in 
the administrative and property accounts. The outlook for the 
coming year is such that there is a possibility of adding another 
member to our staff. My recommendation to the Standing Com- 
mittee will be that any accumulation of surplus funds from our 
operating accounts be atided to the Building Fund, where it will 
be needed on account of the general increase in costs, and that 
we employ an assistant to the Director. Frequently I have reported 
my opinion that we were expecting far too much from him. If 
any of you are at all familiar with his labors this last year with 
the flood and the new building, added to his routine work, you 
will second my recommendation. 

We have, with some success, collected and preserved, and, as 
far as our funds would allow, we have published. Our publica- 
tions have of necessity been limited usually to transcripts of early 
records. This year we have undertaken an experiment in sponsor- 
ing modern, scholarly writings in our field. By careful selection 
we hope that the sale of such works as we publish may replenish 
a revolving Publishing Fund which can bring great credit to the 
Society. 

Newton C. Brainard, President 



Necrology — 1956 
Hugh Mead Alcorn 

Judge Hugh Mead Alcorn of Suffield, elected to the Society as 
a member April 4, 191 1, died at his home May 26, 1955. Mr. Al- 
corn, who had served thirty-four years as Hartford County's At- 
torney before his resignation in 1942, was the son of Hugh Glenn 
and Susan (Ford) Alcorn. He was born in Suffield October 24, 
1872. 

Judge Alcorn was elected President of the Connecticut State 
Bar Association in 1934, and was a member of the American Bar 
Association, the American Judicature Society, the American Law 
Institute, and the American Trial Bar Academy. He was also a 
member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, the Uni- 
versity Club, the Hartford Club, the Suffield Country Club, the 
Masons and the Shrine. He received an honorary Master of Arts 
degree from Dartmouth College in 1928, and the medal of the 
United States Flag Association in 1933. 

Mr. Alcorn leaves his wife, the former Cora Terry Wells, and 
three sons, Superior Court Judge Howard Wells Alcorn, Robert 
Hayden Alcorn, and Hugh Mead Alcorn, Jr., all of Suffield; two 
sisters, Mrs. Arthur B. Easton and Mrs. William A. Pimm, both 
of Hartford; four granddaughters and a great-granddaughter. 
Funeral services were held at the First Church of Christ, Congre- 
gational, Suffield, with burial at Woodlawn Cemetery. 



Edward Lyman Bill, Jr. 

Edward Lyman Bill, Jr., of Lyme, a member of the Society 
since October 7, 1955, died while in Capetown, South Africa, on 
April 22, 1956. Born May 4, 1897, ^^ ^^^ t^^ ^on of Edward Ly- 
man and Caroline (Lee) Bill. 

Mr. Bill was President of the Bill Brothers Publishing Company 
of New York City, publishers of ten trade magazines which in- 
clude Rubber World, Plastics Technology, and Sales Management. 
He was also founder and director of the Business Publications 
Audit of Circulation, Inc., a trade association; and was a former di- 
rector of the National Business Publications, Inc. As President of 



the Bill Brothers PubHshing Company, he was associated with his 
brother, Raymond E. Bill, who survives him. 

Edward L. Bill studied at the University of Wisconsin and Co- 
lumbia University. During World War I, he served with the 
American Field Ambulance Service and with several branches 
of the French forces, including the Air Force and the Foreign Le- 
gion. He was a founder, director and first president of the Bonnie 
Briar Country Club, Larchmont, New York, and also served as 
president of the Adventurers Club. Other memberships included 
the Lotus Club, Canadian Club, National Republican Club, and 
the University Club of Boston. He was a member of the Sons of 
the American Revolution and the Army Ordnance Association. 
His residence was at Raymond Farms in Lyme. 

Mr. Bill leaves a daughter, Mrs. Frederick Gahagan of New 
Canaan; a brother, Raymond E. Bill; a sister, Mrs. Randolph 
Brown, Sr.; and three grandchildren. He was buried in Pleasant 
Valley Cemetery, Lyme. 

Julia Avery Butler 

Julia Avery Butler of West Hartford joined the Society as a 
member on March 3, 1953. Miss Butler was a teacher, a member of 
one of Hartford's oldest families, and died at her home on June 

She was the daughter of the late Francis G. and Julia (Morris) 
Butler, and was born in West Hartford May 16, 1865. In 1886 she 
was graduated from Wheaton College, and was the school's old- 
est living alumna. Following her graduation, she went to Colorado 
Springs, Colorado, to teach, returning four years later to Newton- 
ville, Massachusetts, where she taught for eighteen years. 

Miss Butler's main interests centered around music. As a young 
woman, she studied piano, and was a subscriber to the Hartford 
Symphony Society. She was active in the First Church, Congre- 
gational, West Hartford, and her memberships to organizations 
included the Women's Literary Club of West Hartford, Hartford 
Auxiliary of the American McAlli, and Society of the Mayflower 
Descendants. She is survived by a sister, Kate L. Butler of West 
Hartford. Funeral services were held at the First Congregational 
Church, West Hartford, with burial in North Cemetery, West 
Hartford. 



Howard Tyler Case 

Howard Tyler Case of Wellesley, Massachusetts, a member of 
this Society since December 7, 1937, tUed at the Newton-Wellesley 
Hospital November 16, 1955. He was a retired member of the 
Boston Insurance Company. 

Mr. Case was born in Hartford, October 19, 1889, the son of 
Willis Buell and Henrietta Elizabeth (Tyler) Case. He was gradu- 
ated from Union College, New York, in 1913, and had been a 
resident of Wellesley for the past thirty-five years. He was a mem- 
ber of Beth-Horan Lodge of Masons, Brookline; the University 
Club of Boston; the Wellesley Country Club; the Mangus Club of 
Wellesley; Sons of the American Revolution; Founders and Patri- 
ots of America; and a member of the Wellesley Congregational 
Church. He leaves a son, John M. Case of Scarsdale, New York; 
his mother, Mrs. Henrietta Case of Hartford; a sister, Dr. Muriel 
Downs, also of Hartford ; and a brother, Robert H. Case of Welles- 
ley. Funeral services were held at his home, with burial in Wood- 
lawn Cemetery, Wellesley, Mass. 

Charles Parsons Cooley 

Charles Parsons Cooley, a Life Member, who joined the Society 
January 3, 1899, died at his home in West Hartford on January 
18, 1954. He was a member of a family prominently identified 
with finances in this city for some ninety years. 

Mr. Cooley was born in Hartford, February 25, 1867, the son of 
the late Francis B. and Clarissa (Smith) Cooley. His father came 
to Hartford from Chicago in the i86o's where he had been a lead- 
ing merchant. It was he who hired Marshall Field as a clerk in 
1857, giving him his start as one of America's merchant princes. 

Charles Cooley was graduated from the Hartford Public High 
School and Phillips Exeter Academy. He received his Bachelor of 
Arts degree from Yale College in 1891, and was a member of Delta 
Epsilon and Scroll and Key at Yale. In his senior year he was 
president of the Yale Glee Club. 

His genealogical and historical interests were many. He was a 
member of the Society of Colonial Wars; the Connecticut Society 
of Sons of the American Revolution ; and the New England His- 
toric Genealogical Society. In 1937 he published a volume of verse 



which received favorable reviews. He was also a member of the 
Choral Club of Hartford, and for many years was active in the 
Memnon Club, an organization of music lovers who sponsored 
concerts in their homes. Mr. Cooky was an Episcopalian and Re- 
publican, a member of the Hartford Club, the Hartford Golf Club, 
the Twentieth Century Club, and University Club of New York 
City. 

His wife, the former Zaidee Whitman of Montreal, Canada, 
died in 1940. He is survived by two sons: Charles P. Cooley, Jr., 
and Paul W. Cooley, both of West Hartford. Funeral services were 
held at St. John's Episcopal Church, West Hartford, with burial 
at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Hartford. 

William C. Douglas 

William C. Douglas of Glastonbury, a member of this Society 
since November 3, 1953, died suddenly at his home September 6, 
1955. He was a well-known dealer in rare coins, and proprietor 
of an ice-cream shop in Glastonbury. 

Mr. Douglas, a life-long resident of Glastonbury, was believed 
to have been in business longer than any other local merchant. 
He was known as the "dean of Glastonbury Merchants" and had 
operated the Douglas Ice Cream Bar, 2160 Main Street, for the 
past thirty-four years. In September, 1954, his shop was held up 
by a pair of bandits on a Sunday evening just as he was closing 
the store. They escaped with $150, overlooking about $40,000 worth 
of old coins which he kept locked up in a safe. 

He was considered one of New England's top experts on old 
coins, and was frequently consulted by other dealers and collec- 
tors. He was at one time owner of the penny collection belonging 
to King Farouk of Egypt. This collection included fifty large 
pennies minted between 1793 and 1823. A 1799 coin was rated at 
100,000 times its face value. 

Mr. Douglas was a member of the Hartford Numismatic So- 
ciety, and a member of the First Church of Christ, Congregational, 
in Glastonbury. He was the son of Arthur E. and Effie C. Douglas. 
Upon his death he is survived by his wife, Edythe (Rutan) Doug- 
las; two sons, Pvt. Arthur R. Douglas, stationed with the army 
in San Francisco, California, and Malcolm E. Douglas, a student 
at Monson Academy, Monson, Massachusetts. A sister, Mrs. Doro- 



thy D. Hale of Portland, also survives him. Funeral arrangements 
were made by the Lowe Funeral Homes, East Hartford. 

David Clark Everest 

David Clark Everest, who joined the Society as a member Octo- 
ber 4, 1949, died at Memorial Hospital in Wausau, Wisconsin on 
October 28, 1955. Mr. Everest, an outstanding leader in the paper 
manufacturing industry, was president of the Marathon Corpora- 
tion, Wausau, Wisconsin ; and former president of the Wisconsin 
State Historical Society, 1952-55. He was the son of the late John 
H. and Gertrude (Clark) Everest, and was born in Pine Grove, 
Michigan, on October 13, 1883. 

Mr. Everest is survived by his wife, former Rita (Gouin) Everest 
of Munising, Michigan, whom he married September 20, 1905. 
Also surviving are two daughters, Mrs. Laramie G. Evans, Lexing- 
ton, Kentucky and Mrs. Norman E. Weaver, Wausau; a son, D. 
C. Everest, Jr. of Wausau; and a sister, Mrs. H. Wilbert Spence of 
Detroit, Michigan; and twelve grandchildren. One grandson, John 
Weaver, gained fame as a football player for the United States 
Naval Academy, playing in the 1955 All-Star football game in 
Chicago. 

Mr. Everest is burieci at Pine Grove Cemetery, Wausau, Wiscon- 
sin, in the Everest Mausoleum. 

Philip Curtiss Harmany 

Philip Curtiss Harmany of Charleston, Illinois, a member of the 
Society since December 7, 1954, died at his home on June 28, 1955. 
He was a traveling salesman for Allith-Prouty, Inc., of Danville, 
Illinois, a hardware concern, until his retirement two years ago. 

Mr. Harmany was born March 18, 188 1 in Mattoon, Illinois, the 
son of Orin Curtiss and Esther (Clinton) Harmany. He was a 
Presbyterian and a member of the Sons of the American Revolu- 
tion. He leaves his widow, the former Perle Newman whom he 
married November 23, 1904; and a brother, Howard C. Harmany 
of Tacoma, Washington. 

Funeral services were held in the chapel of the Harper-Swickard 
Funeral Home, with burial in Dodge Grove Cemetery, Mattoon, 
Illinois. 



Edward Rutledge Lampson 

Dr. Edward Rutledge Lampson of Hartford, a member of this 
Society since April i, 1952, died at Hartford Hospital, on June 23, 

1955- 

Dr. Lampson was born June 14, 1868, the son of the late Ed- 
ward Rutledge and Charlotte (Bowers) Lampson. He attended 
St. Paul's School, Concord, New Hampshire, and was a graduate 
of Trinity College, class of 1891. He taught for two years at St. 
Paul's, then entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Co- 
lumbia University, New York, receiving his medical degree in 
1896. His internship was served at St. Luke's Hospital, New York 
City, and in 1900 he came to Hartford as practicing physician 
specializing in surgery. From 1903 to 1937 he served on the active 
surgical stafif of the Hartford Hospital, and was president of the 
Hartford County Medical Society from 1922 to 1923. In 1927 and 
1928 he was again president of the Hartford County Medical So- 
ciety, and from 1934 to 1936 was president of the medical and surgi- 
cal staf! of Hartford Hospital. In 1941 Dr. Lampson retired from 
active surgical practice. In the medical profession, he also served as 
assistant medical director of the Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance 
Company. He was on the medical staflf of the ^tna Life Insurance 
Company and was visiting surgeon at Hartford Hospital, 1918 to 
1937, as well as consulting surgeon there and at Middlesex Hospi- 
tal, Middletown, New Britain General Hospital, Manchester Me- 
morial Hospital, and the Institute of Living in Hartford from 1937 
until his death. Other activities included communicant and former 
vestryman. Trinity Episcopal Church, membership in the Ameri- 
can Medical Society, the Connecticut State Medical Society, the 
New England Surgical Society, and a fellow of the American Col- 
lege of Surgeons. He was a former member of the Hartford Golf 
Club and a member of the University Club. At his death. Dr. 
Lampson was the oldest member of the Hartford Hospital honor- 
ary staff. 

In 1906 he married the former Mary Seabury Starr of Hartford. 
She died in 1925, and in 1927 he married Elizabeth Leveritt Daven- 
port of Staten Island. He is survived by his wife, two sons. Dr. 
Rutledge Starr Lampson, a surgeon at Hartford Hospital, and 
Edward Tudor Lampson, stationed at Bonn, Germany, and in 



June, 1955 on new assignment in Washington, D.C. Dr. Lampson 
has three grandchildren. 

Funeral services were held at Trinity Episcopal Church with 
burial at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Hartford. 

Virginia Clapp Lennon 

Mrs. Virginia Clapp Lennon of West Hartford, who became a 
member of the Society November 2, 1954, died at Hartford Hospi- 
tal August 16, 1955. She leaves her husband, Wilfred Lennon; a 
son, Winfield E. Lennon of West Hartford; a sister, Mrs. James 
Irvine of West Hartford; and her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Elliot 
Clapp. Mrs. Lennon was a member of the West Hartford Con- 
gregational Church where funeral services were held. 

Charles Woodward Marsh 

Charles Woodward Marsh, who became a member of the So- 
ciety December 4, 195 1, died at Hartford Hospital on July 4, 1955. 
He was born in Wethersfield on October 7, 1878, the son of the 
late Charles and Ellen Woodward (Pratt) Marsh. He was a gradu- 
ate of the Hartford Public High School, class of 1898, and was at 
that time captain of the football team, manager of the track team, 
and business manager of the school newspaper. 

After his graduation, he moved to New York where he spent 
most of his business years. He was connected with Johns-Man- 
ville, the Western Electric, and the Habershaw Wire and Cable 
companies. His profession was that of electrical engineer. 

Mr. Marsh was a former vice president of the Automobile Club 
of Hartford, joining the club in 1928 and elected to its board of 
governors in 1944, followeci a year later by his function as vice 
president. He had been a member of the Engineer's Club of New 
York since 1924. He was also a member of the Society of Colonial 
Wars, the Civitan Club of Hartford, the finance committee of 
Greater Hartford Council of Churches, the Wadsworth Atheneum, 
the Choral Club of Hartford, the Young Men's Christian Associ- 
ation, and the Citizens Charter Committee. He was a communicant 
of Trinity Episcopal Church. His hobby was deep sea fishing. 

13 



Mr. Marsh leaves two nieces, Mrs. Walter Tubbs of New Jersey, 
and Mrs. Jack W. Lightbourn of Bermuda; and two cousins, James 
T. Pratt and Porter W. Pratt, both of Hartford. 

Funeral services were held at the James T. Pratt Funeral Home, 
with burial in Indian Hill Cemetery, Middletown. 



Ethelbert Allen Moore 

Ethelbert Allen Moore of New Britain, admitted to membership 
in this Society May 2, 1905, died at his winter home in Ormond 
Beach, Florida February 13, 1956. Mr. Moore was ninety-one years 
old, and retired president and board chairman of the New Britain 
Stanley Works. 

In 1929 Mr. Moore relinquished presidency of the Stanley 
Works, but continued as its director. In forty years of active asso- 
ciation with the firm, he saw it grow from a $40,000 to a $27,000,000 
business. He was made president in 1918, and five years later was 
named chairman of the board, holding both positions until his 
retirement. He had entered the firm as cost clerk, becoming direc- 
tor in 1903, a vice president in 1905, and first vice president in 
1915. Under his direction, the firm acquired the Stanley Rule and 
Level Company, and plants in Ohio, Canada, Japan, and Europe. 

The son of the artist Nelson Augustus and Ann Maria (Pickett) 
Moore, Mr. Moore was born November 30, 1864 in Kensington. He 
was educated at the Hartford Public High School where he was 
graduated in 1885. On June 18, 1891 he married Martha Elizabeth 
Hart who died in 1948. He was once a school principal in Water- 
town, was a former State Representative, and a former member of 
the Board of Education, New Britain. Mr. Moore was also an au- 
thor, artist, and poet, his books including his autobiography Tenth 
Generation , and Four Decades, a forty-year history of the Stanley 
Works. His collection of seventeen sonnets. Life's Interlude, was 
published in 1952. He donated land in New Britain, giving the city 
two parks — the Martha Hart Park in memory of his wife, and the 
Sherrod E. Skinner Park. To the first he also donateci $23,000 for 
its development. Mr. Moore was also founder and charter member 
of the Shuttle Meadow Club, and during World War I served on 
the War Labor Policies Board and as chairman of the Young 
Women's Christian Association war fund committee. He is sur- 



M 



vived by three sons, Allen Moore of Kensington, Roswell Moore 
of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Maxwell Moore of Farmington. 
His daughters are Mrs. Maurice H. Pease of Hartford and Mrs. 
Martha McDowell of Kent. He also leaves several nieces and 
nephews. 

Evelyn Wallace Preston 

Evelyn Wallace Preston of Hartford joined the Society as a 
member on December 5, 1950. She was the daughter of the late 
Major Edward V. and Clara (Litchfield) Preston. She was born 
April 9, 1867, and died at her home in Hartford June 15, 1955. 
Miss Preston was the oldest charter member of the Asylum Avenue 
Baptist Church, as well as a charter member of the Town and 
County Club, and a member of the Ruth Wyllys Chapter, Daugh- 
ters of the American Revolution. Funeral services were held at her 
home, with burial in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Hartford. 

Henry Sherman Redfield 

Henry Sherman Redfield of Hartford, a member of the Society 
since March i, 1921, died at Palm Beach, Florida on April 17, 
1955. He was a retired broker and former state golfing champion 
in 1935. 

Mr. Redfield was born January 19, 1865, the son of Henry A. 
and Caroline (Peck) Redfield. His father, deceased in 1907, had 
been president of the Phoenix National Bank, Hartford, for 
twenty-six years. 

Henry S. Redfield was a retired member of the brokerage firm, 
Stedman and Redfield, and was associated for many years with 
the Phoenix National Bank. He was one of Hartford's best left- 
handed golfers, and a member of the American senior golf team 
in competition against Canada, an event which took place shortly 
before his eightieth birthday. He was once an amateur first base- 
man and a champion figure skater, as well as an expert big pin 
bowler and a curling enthusiast. Mr. Redfield was also a member 
of the executive committee of the United States Senior Golf Asso- 
ciation, and a charter member of the Lake Placid Club. 

Surviving are his wife, Grace D. Redfield of Palm Beach, 
Florida, and a son, H. Alexander Redfield of Hartford. 

15 



Thomas Bond Shaw 

Thomas Bond Shaw of Worcester, Massachusetts, who became 
a member of the Society on November 4, 1930, died August 29, 
1955 in Danforth, Maine. He was vacationing at the summer home 
of his niece and nephew, Mr. and Mrs. James F. Goddard. 

Born in Lyme, New Hampshire, he was the son of Thomas Asa 
and Marie (Persis) Shaw. He received his pre-medical training 
at Yale University where he was graduated with an A.B. degree 
in 1890. His post-graduate work was done at Roosevelt Hospital, 
New York City, and he was a graduate from Dartmouth Medical 
College in 1893. ^^ ^^^^ studied in Vienna and Paris in 1895 
and 1896. He went to Worcester, Massachusetts, as practicing 
physician in 1896, retiring from the medical profession in 1928. 
His wife, the former Effie Morse, died twelve years ago, and he 
leaves a niece and two nephews in Worcester, Massachusetts, and 
Hollywood, Florida. 

His memberships to organizations included Yale Clubs of 
Worcester, Boston, Philadelphia, and New York; Worcester Uni- 
versity Club; Bancroft Automobile Club; Commonwealth Club; 
Crescent Athletic Club of New York City; University Clubs of 
Boston, Providence and Hartford; New Haven Country Club; 
Graduates Club of New Haven; and the Lake Placid Clubs of 
New York and Florida. 

Funeral services were held at Sessions Chapel, Worcester, with 
burial at Hope Cemetery, Worcester, Massachusetts. 

Douglas Tracy Smith 

Douglas Tracy Smith of Hartford, long one of the city's promi- 
nent insurance brokers, died at Hartford Hospital August 9, 1955. 
He had become a member of the Society January 3, 1950. 

Mr. Smith was born in Hartford, October 7, 1888, son of the 
late James Allwood and Helen Louise (Tracy) Smith. He was 
graduated from Hartford Public High School, class of 1906, and 
from Yale College in 1910. He served as a lieutenant in the Navy 
during World War I, and in the 2nd World War he was actively 
engaged in War Bond, Red Cross and other campaigns. From 
1922 to 1925 he served on the Board of Aldermen, representing 
the 4th and later nth Wards. At that time he was also a Council 

16 



representative on the Board of Finance, and more recently served 
as treasurer of the Citizens Charter Committee, being active in 
support of the committee's program and in helping to set up head- 
quarters for the organization. Also among his civic activities was 
a directorship of the Family Service Society, of which he was 
past president. On that board he was especially interested in im- 
proving the living conditions of aged persons. 

As an associate of the insurance brokerage firm, Allen, Russell 
and Allen, Mr. Smith specialized in life, accident and group in- 
surance lines. He was leading producer for the Connecticut Gen- 
eral Life Insurance Company, his sales volume resulting in life 
membership in the President's Club, and the 25- Year Club of 
Connecticut General. He was also a member of the Hartford and 
National Life Underwriters organizations. Other affiliations in- 
cluded the University Club of Hartford, Hartford Club, Hartford 
Golf Club, Twentieth Century Club, Get-Togethcr Club, Yale 
Club of New York, and Madison Beach Club. 

Mr. Smith is survived by his wife, the former Dorothy Potter. 
Funeral services were held at the James T. Pratt chapel with burial 
at Cedar Hill Cemetery, Hartford. 



Harry Tyler Smith 

Harry Tyler Smith of West Hartford, a member of this Society 
since November 7, 1950, died at his home on September 7, 1955. 
He was prominent in this city as counsel for the ^^tna Casualty 
and Surety Company. 

Born in Flint, Michigan, April 15, 1870, Mr. Smith was the son 
of the late William and Anna Maria (Olcott) Smith. His early 
years were spent in Detroit with graduation from the University 
of Michigan in 1892. He was graduated from the Harvard Law 
School in 1895. 

Admitted to the Bar in Boston shortly thereafter, he entered 
the law office of Nason and Proctor, remaming with the firm two 
years. Later he became associated with Dickson and Knowles, a 
company which handled liability business in New England for 
four insurance firms — The Maryland, the London Guarantee, the 
Ocean, and the Standard of Detroit. In 1906, he was employed as 
attorney in the claims department for the ^Etna Casualty and 

17 



Surety Company, and in 1915 became associate attorney in the 
accident and liability departments. In 1917 he was elected associ- 
ate counsel at ^Etna, later becoming counsel for the accident and 
liability departments of the JEtna. Casualty and Surety Company. 
Mr. Smith retired after fifty years of service with the firm on May 

1, 1955- 

Mr. Smith was one of the few Americans to make a trans-At- 
lantic flight on the zeppelin "Hindenburg," which was later de- 
stroyed by fire over Lakehurst, New Jersey. In 1939 he was one of 
the sixteen passengers aboard the Pan-American Yankee Clipper 
which made the first Atlantic flight over the northern route from 
Ireland. He was an enthusiastic bicyclist, and for many years was 
known to walk from his i^tna oflices to his house in West Hart- 
ford. 

He was a member of the Connecticut and American Bar Asso- 
ciations; the Hartford Club; the Hartford Golf Club; Dauntless 
Club of Essex; and the Twentieth Century Club; and also served 
at one time on the West Hartford Board of Finance. 

Mr. Smith is survived by a son, Olcott Damon Smith of Farm- 
ington; a brother, Walter Olcott Smith of Pasadena, California. 
His four grandchildren are Damon Brainerd Smith, Wendy Mor- 
gan Smith, Tyler Smith and Olcott Whitman Smith, all of Farm- 
ington. Funeral services were held at Asylum Hill Congregational 
Church, with burial at Arlington, Massachusetts. 



Wallace Stevens 

Wallace Stevens of Hartford, a member of this Society since 
November 13, 1945, died at St. Francis Hospital on August 2, 1955. 
He was vice president of the Hartford Accident and Indemnity 
Company and the Hartford Livestock Insurance Company; a suc- 
cessful lawyer, skilled in statistical knowledge of insurance; and 
one of America's most brilliant poets. 

Wallace Stevens was born in Reading, Pennsylvania, October 
2, 1879, the son of the late Garrett B. and Margaretta Catherine 
(Zeller) Stevens. After a formal education at Harvard University 
and New York University Law School, he received honorary de- 
grees from Harvard, Mount Holyoke, Wesleyan, Yale, Bard, and 
Columbia colleges, and the Hartt College of Music. 



Mr. Stevens' contribution to American letters caused the London 
Times Literary Supplement to call him "the best poet writing in 
America and one of the best poets now writing in English." He 
was virtually unknown in Hartford until he was awarded the 
Bollingen Poetry Prize by Yale University in 1950. In 1951 and 
1955 he won the National Book Award for his poetry; in 1951 he 
received the gold medal of the Poetry Society of America. In 1946 
he was made a member of the National Institute of Arts and Let- 
ters, crowning his career with the Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 
1955. His first honor for poetry was received in 1916 from Poetry 
Magazine for his one-act play Three Travelers Watch a Sunrise. 
The Bollingen Prize and Second Book Award were for The 
Auroras of Autumn; anci for Collected Poems published in 1954, 
he received the Second National Book Award and the Pulitzer 
Prize. Though recognition came late to Mr. Stevens, he had been 
writing poetry for more than fifty years. 

Mr. Stevens leaves his wife, Elsie V. (Kachel) Stevens; a daugh- 
ter, Mrs. Holly B. Stevens of Hartford; and a grandson. Funeral 
services were held at James T. Pratt Funeral Home, with burial 
at Cedar Hill Cemetery. 



Mary Swift Whittlesey 

Mary Swift Whittlesey of New Britain, who joined the Society 
as a member on October 2, 195 1, died at her home January 23, 
1956 at the age of ninety. She was a former president of the Con- 
necticut Chapter, Daughters of Founders and Patriots of America. 

Miss Whittlesey was particularly active in historical and genea- 
logical groups, including past regent of the Esther Stanley Chapter, 
Daughters of the American Revolution; member of the Daugh- 
ters of Colonial Wars in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; 
the Historical Society of New Britain; the National Society of 
Colonial Dames of America. She was also a member of the Na- 
tional Federation of Republican Women, the New Britain Musical 
Club, the Shuttle Meadow Country Club, and one of the oldest 
members of the Women's Club of New Britain. She also served as 
a former board-member of the Visiting Nurse Association to 
which she contributed knitting for the Women's Auxiliary of 
New Britain General Hospital. 

19 



Miss Whittlesey is survived by one sister, Frances Whittlesey. 
Funeral services were heki at her home with burial at Fairview 
Cemetery, New Britain. 

Isidore Wise 

Isidore Wise of Hartford, a leading merchant in this city and 
member of the Society since October 4, 1932, died at his home 
January 24, 1956, aged ninety. The son of Leopold and Rosalie 
Wise, he was born November 19, 1865. He attended the old North 
School, now the Henry Barnard School, until he took his first job 
as cash boy at $2.00 a week for Stern and Mandelbaum, a local 
dry goods store. He was then eleven years old. By the age of 
twenty-one, Mr. Wise opened a small store at Main and Kinsley 
streets with two youthful partners — Godfrey Olschefski, Jr. and 
Solomon Youngman. The partnership then bought out the Clark 
Company, operating it under the name of I. Wise and Company. 
This firm, with a new store and additional partners, was in opera- 
tion from 1897 to 1948. Mr. Wise again resumed control in April, 
1954, and one month later the store was closed, ending a life-long 
career as owner of one of the city's three largest merchandising 
establishments. 

In 1891 he married Selma Stern who died in 1931. He leaves 
his second wife, Mrs. Rose Stern Wise ; two daughters, Mrs. Louis 
A. Samuels and Mrs. Edward A. Hart, both of West Hartford; 
four granddaughters, Mrs. Nathan Rose of New London, Mrs. 
Isidore Pollack of Quebec, Canada, Mrs. Kenneth Libby and Mrs. 
Ann Louise Pober, both of West Hartford ; and seven great-grand- 
children. 

Funeral services were held at Temple Beth Israel, Hartford. 



Report of Director 
Mr. President and Members of the Society: 

Introduction 

The flood last August 19 hurt us. Until November ist, when we 
reopened, all our efforts were directed at salvage and cleaning up. 
Since then, we struggled ineffectually with the deluge of corre- 
spondence which has accumulated, cleaning museum objects, and 
replacing catalogued books lost in the flood. As luck would have 
it, we lost, in some cases, two sets of certain periodicals, and hours 
have been spent searching tiealers' catalogues in hopes of finding 
replacements. Forced moving of our manuscript collection got it 
badly out of order, and months must be spent reorganizing. Recent 
accessions, which haci been kept chronologically until processed 
so that specific items could be located, are now so badly mixed up 
that many things will be impossible to find without complete cata- 
loguing. The loss of storage facilities in the one store room flooded 
requires the changing of thousands of museum records to indicate 
the new storage location. 

Attendance, of course, suffered, as did our program, which was 
cut drastically. This also contributed to the slump in new members 
— only 64. In spite of the increase in dues, we had but 49 resigna- 
tions and only about 30 of these were attributable to dues. We also 
had 20 deaths and 13 who failed to notify us of change in address 
and were dropped. This makes the present membership total 1238. 

On the positive side, we have been most encouraged by willing 
assistance of many members, particularly, Edgar F. Waterman, 
Miss Florence S. M. Crofut, President Brainard, Cyril Hawley, 
Richard D. Moore, M. W. Jacobus and Benjamin F. Hubbell. For 
some months Miss Agatha Gray was a volunteer and helped con- 
siderably in sorting manuscripts. Progress without this extra help 
would have been negligible. 

As the result of expenses of $25,638, one hundred ami thirteen 
gifts to a special flood relief fund totalled $28,084. This generosity, 
from far and near, helped mentally as much as physically. 

The auditorium, delayed because of the flood, was commenced 
January 25th. We look forward to occupancy in the fall. It should 
prove a stimulus to our programs and give a flexibility we have 
never before enjoyed. 



To protect the building from future rampages of the north 
branch of the Park River, The Hartford Foundation for Pubhc 
Giving granted $16,000 to erect a dike. Nothing we can do is more 
vital than this protection, which is in addition to whatever flood 
control measures are put into effect by the city. 

Partially due to the delay in erecting the auditorium, we were 
well within the budget: $1923 in general funds and $1898 in 
building funds. With more income than anticipated, the surplus 
in general funds is $6457, and $6157 in the building fund. Yield 
on endowment in the General Fund is off slightly to approximately 
.0614%, due to the Hills bequest last year which, when invested 
in the Consolidated Fund, brought the average down; but the 
building fund income was even greater than a year ago despite 
the sale of securities to build the auditorium. 

The report that follows covers at the most only about six months 
of normal operations. It is a tribute to the staff of your Society 
who, by their determination and hard work, made it possible. 

Library 

M. W. Jacobus spent much of last summer organizing our col- 
lection of photographs. These were brought together from many 
locations and are now in two vertical files, arranged by subject. 
Since there had never been any attempt at systematizing before, 
this makes for a great improvement. 

Negotiations with the Society of Mayflower Descendants in the 
State of Connecticut were completed whereby their genealogical 
library, which had been in storage with us nearly 30 years, will be 
added to the Charles G. Woodward Genealogical Loan Collection 
of this Society. By this, 1400 new titles become available for loan 
to our members, and to those of the Connecticut and National 
Societies of Mayflower Descendants. Furthermore, they appropri- 
ated $200, a sum to be matched by us, for a short title catalogue 
so that interested persons will know what is available. 

We are the only library in this area to subscribe to the Readex 
Corporation microprint of American books published before 1800. 
This is edited by Clifford K. Shipton of the American Anti- 
quarian Society, and means that in ten years, all titles printed be- 
fore 1800 will be available here. At the moment, 1639 through 
1728 has been completed. 



*■ • ' ' .'"••■' 

je. ■. y.. . ^ ■-. ■ 




^ 


t:r':!^-^j^ 1 


."1 


'- ' . ..^ _ -rt -. .N-- .- v^ i 






- 


",' .;''-■ 'vi^- 


■ ■ ■ ■ ■ s 


^^--: • ■- 1 



Sherman O shorn' s account book^, 
i8iy-i82^ 




Puzzle purse valentine, ca. iy88 



Mrs. Robert W. Huntington presented four letters by Joseph 
Adams which have, with the donor's permission, been sent to 
CHfTord K. Shipton, Harvard College Archivist. These letters ab- 
solve Dr. Joseph Adams, Harvard 1743, as the Townsend, Massa- 
chusetts Tory, The History of the Totini of Toivnsend by Sawtelle, 
pages 194-5 quoting Sabine, "supposes" that this Joseph Adams 
was the Townsend Tory. 

The letters prove that the Tory was born in Lincoln, Massa- 
chusetts January 30, 1749 and married about September 1774 Mrs. 
Lovey Lawrence. During the war he served in the British Navy, 
afterward settling as a surgeon and apothecary in Liskeard, Corn- 
wall. One letter is signed (addressed to his father) "your son in 
exile." His sorrow is readily apparent at being separated from his 
friends, family and native land. He mentions his confiscated es- 
tate and that due to the Proscription Act, he cannot return to 
America. The letters are addressed to his father, Capt. Joseph 
Adams, of Lincoln, and are dated 1783, 84, 89 and 94, just after 
hearing of his mother's death, which checks in the Lincoln, Mass. 
vital records. He mentions his brothers and sisters, the names of 
whom also check. Since these documents belong in Massachusetts, 



23 



with permission of the donor, they were given to Mr. Shipton for 
him to determine their permanent home. 

This poHcy is not a one way street. The American Antiquarian 
Society gave us seven issues of the Danbury Republican Farmer, 
November 23, and 30, 1803; January 18, July 11 and August 29, 
1804; July 2, 1805; and July 9, 1806. 

The Ohio Historical Society gave us an account book of Steph- 
anus Knight, 1795-1810. Knight painted signs and was a glazier, 
gilder, painter and paperer. A fine account of this record will ap- 
pear shortly in the Bulletin. 

From the New Jersey Historical Society we received an account 
book of Laban Beach, 1790-1823, of Litchfield. This is not only val- 
uable for its accounts but also for numerous vital records of the 
Beach family. 

Research projects were by no means neglected. The few Benja- 
min Franklin items in our collection have been photostated for 
Yale University, and more than 300 letters by Alexander Hamilton 
are included in the project by Columbia University. For the John 
Marshall publication, we supplied six letters. Douglas H. Shepard 







Bookplate engraved by Amos Doolittle, iy^4-i8^2 



24 



of the University of Minnesota is transcribing Henry Wolcott's 
shorthand notebook containing sermons by Thomas Hooker, hi 
studying Hooker, Mr. Shepard desired to examine our unique 
copy of Soul's Humiliation, pubhshed in Amsterdam, 1638. This 
was sent on inter-hbrary loan to Duluth. Several titles were lent 
Trinity College for their banned books exhibition, and three more 
French translations in America were sent on inter-library loan to 
St. John's College so that Forrest Bowe might microfilm them. 
When requested, unique Connecticut imprints have been sent to 
Worcester for filming in the Readex project. 

The high quality of acquisitions enjoyed in recent years did not 
suffer — in fact it almost seemed as though members and friends 
went out of their way to give us treasures. In effect, it was a vote 
of confidence in the future of the Society which, though stunned, 
has emerged even stronger than before. Details of flood damage 
appeared in the Flood Extra of the Bulletin but, reports to the 
contrary, we did not lose a manuscript, nor were any rare books 
damaged in the slightest. The large bulk of museum objects 
flooded only needed cleaning and the few things lost or badly 
damaged could hardly be classed as irreplaceable. Amazing per- 
haps, but true, not a single piece of glass or china, most of which 
was flooded, was broken. 

Time and space prevents a detailed account of library accessions. 
Some like Josiah Cleaveland's account of Bunker Hill, gift of Mrs. 
R. W. Huntington ; the papers of James G. Batterson from Walter 
E. Batterson; and the Goodale letters acquired by purchase, were 
featured in the Bulletin. Worthy of comment are a number of 
papers dealing with the Court of Acimiralty trial of Christopher 
Ripley of New London, 1809; General Orders, New London, 
1812; Returns of Supplies, New Milford, 1778-1779 by purchase; 
and by exchange, an unpublished Revolutionary Diary of Elihu 
Clark, Jr., of Colchester, April 20, 1775-April i, 1776. 

Gideon Welles, of Glastonbury, held many political offices, both 
elective and by appointment, in a career which culminated as 
Secretary of the Navy during the Civil War. In 18^6 Welles was 
appointed postmaster of Hartford. When William Henry Harri- 
son defeated Martin Van Buren in 1840, Harrison removed Welles, 
a Van Buren supporter, in "the public interest." We were fortunate 
to purchase a holograph copy of an eight-page letter signed by 

25 




New London hroiuisuic, i/2^-^ 



Welles, addressed to Francis Granger, Postmaster General, dated 
April 2, 1841, in which he protested that his replacement was "a 
palpable violation of the spirit and intention of the act of 1836." 

Austin Kilbourn, M.D., presented an unusual account book of 
the Osborn family. One part was kept by Sherman Osborn, a 
gravestone cutter of Middlebury, Watertown and Canton, 1817- 
1825. Except for Hempstead's Diary, it is the only record of a Con- 
necticut stonecutter currently known. Of particular value is the 
list of stones he cut, and, in most cases, their inscriptions and prices. 
His common design was an urn with one or two willows. Stones 
were priced by width and quality, coarse, first, second and third 
quality. Cutting usually required 60 days, and average cost was $20. 

In eighteen years, I have not had an opportunity to acquire an 
early valentine. The day before Carroll G. Means addressed us 
on "Valentines" we purchased two, a puzzle purse dated 1788 and 
a broken heart. There are valentines attributed to an earlier date 
in America, but this is the earliest documented specimen of which 
we have heard. Later, while sorting manuscripts, we found an 



26 



envelope of valentines, so the Society does have a representative 
collection. 

In 1795, a James Harrison conducted a music store and rental 
library in Maiden Lane, New York. Subscribers, by paying %y a 
year in advance, could borrow "two books at a time which may 
be changed every day if required." Fortunately, to mark his books, 
Harrison had Amos Doolittle, Connecticut's foremost engraver, 
design a book plate. A music book, containing a unique copy of 
the book plate, has been purchased. It is signed "A Doolittle Sc N 
Haven," and in addition to the rules and regulations of the library, 
it announces that musical instruments are for sale or rent, and 
they may be tuned and repaired at Harrison's shop. Books are also 
available to nonsubscribers, the fee scaled according to the value 
of the book. For example: 



books 
value -< 
of 



0/5/0 

0/12/0 

1/4/0 

2/0/0 

& upwards 



to 
pay 



0/0/6 

0/1/ 
0/1/6 
0/2/ 
0/2/6 



*- per week 



Another engraving is a watch paper of Horace Goodwin 2d, of 
Hartford. These little advertising papers were inserted in backs 
of watches when sold or repaired. When a watch is found with 
a watch paper, the chances are very good there will be several 
others underneath. The American Antiquarian Society has the 
best collection. We have eight which were found in watches in 
the museum collection. The Goodwin paper is the first I have 
been able to acquire for the Society. The Antiquarian Society's 
copy of this paper is dated 1839 on the reverse. Goodwin was a 
jeweler in Hartford from 181 1 to 1852 and probably adopted the 
"2d" to distinguish himself from a cousin of the same name, who 
was a pottery manufacturer. 

In our 1951 Annual Report we noted that our collection lacked 
thirty wall maps of Connecticut towns and counties, published be- 
tween 1840 and i860. Since that time eight have been secured, the 
last two being Cornwall, 1854; and New Haven, 1859. The Corn- 



27 



wall map is exceedingly rare, and is seldom found in as good con- 
dition as the specimen we purchased. 

Another map of more than passing interest is Plate VI of Erd- 
beschreibung von Amerika by Ebelings. It was engraved by E. 
Schmidt in Bonn, 1796 and is almost an exact copy of Blodget's 
1791 map with identical legends, excepts for omission of wind- 
mills. Several towns are misspelled anti are assumed to be errors 
in copying. The copy we secured was issued separately on a sheet 
17/2 X 25^/4 inches with ample margins. Edmund Thompson's 
Maps of Co?in€cticut. . . , Windham, 1940, gives no location for 
copies of this map. 

The first volume of verse published in Connecticut was Roger 
Wolcott's Poetical Meditations, New London, 1725. We have two 
of twelve known copies. Contemporary with this was a folio 
broadside A Lamentation in Memory of the Distressing Sickjiess 




Map in Joseph Scott's The Universal Gazetteer 



in Hartford from November ^th i'j24 to February 20th 772^/5, 
including the names of fifty-five persons who died. Morgan B. 
Brainard has given the Society the only known copy of this valua- 
ble broadside. It is signed "E. Burleson" and is assumed to have 



been printed in New London. Unfortunately it has not been possi- 
ble to identify Burleson, though he is believed to be Edward Burle- 
son, born March i, 1686, who was admitted to the Church in Suf- 
field, from Springfield, January 4, 1712/ 13. This broadside was 
once owned by George Brinley and later by James Hammond 
Trumbull. 

Although many books were acquired during the year, perhaps 
the rarest and also most interesting was The New and Universal 
Gazetteer by Joseph Scott, 4 volumes, Philadelphia, 1799 and 1800. 
Scott was a good engraver in Philadelphia and compiler of an 
atlas in 1796. There are 25 maps, including a folding one for Con- 
necticut, which Thompson did not include in his bibliography. 
Scott, of course, relied on available sources but he also did some 
original research which is valuable today. The article on Connecti- 
cut and the Connecticut River is of especial interest. About Suffield, 
he said: "a post town of Connecticut, in Hartford, on the W. side 
of Connecticut river, 17 miles N. of Hartford, and 232 N.E. of 
Philadelphia." Evans records ten copies of volumes 1-2, and only 
eight of 3-4. 

For many years we have stressed the need of increased endow- 
ment for library purchases. Most of our funds for the library de- 
pend upon book sales for growth, which in recent years has not 
kept pace with inflation. Consequently our purchasing power is 
no greater than it was fifteen years ago, and only with special 
gifts and, more recently, appropriations from general funds, have 
we been able to compete with others in the market for desirable 
acquisitions. It therefore is to me a great personal satisfaction that 
Miss Muriel Alvord has established a fund in memory of her 
father, George Buell Alvord, in the amount of $4800, the income 
only to be used for the purchase of manuscripts. 

Museum 

Exhibitions included Mechanical Banks in gallery 2; portraits 
by Richard and William Jennys, gallery i ; recently acquired paint- 
ings by Alvan Fisher, Erastus Salisbury Field, John Trumbull, John 
H. Niemeyer, William Johnston, Alexander Hamilton Emmons, 
Richard and William Jennys, and Samuel Broadbent, gallery i; 
Nathan Hale, gallery 3; rare coins, Valentines and chairs, down- 
stairs. These maintained the standards previously set and the 

29 




"Prince Charles" playing cards, Hartford, iSgy 

Jennys show was particularly noteworthy, exciting much atten- 
tion. More and more outsiders look forward to our exhibitions as 
important contributions to knowledge about Connecticut. 

For many years we have sought anything with a label showing 
it was manufactured in our state and this year was no exception. 
Sometimes we knew of its existence, such as the Prince Charles 
deck of cards produced in Hartford in 1897. ^^ ^^ amusing, with 
a real spade for that suit, but it took many years of searching to 
find a pack a few months ago. Similar objects worth mentioning 
are a school slate made by D. and C. W. Holbrook, Windsor 
Locks; a Collarsion cup (collapsible drinking cup) by S. H. M. 
& Co., Wallingford; Bevins Musical chimes. East Hampton, 1876; 
and boxes of thread by O. S. Chaffee & Son, Mansfield Centre. 

Your Director realized another personal ambition by acquiring 
three Higley coins, two of the Broad Axe variety dated 1737 and 
1739, and a Three-Hammers, "I am good copper." Mr. Bates 
sought unsuccessfully more than fifty years for a Higley. 



30 




Bookplate of Rev. Mr. Jona- 
than Bird ( ly^d-iSi j) of 
Berlin, probably engraved by 
Richard Brunton. Brunton 
was imprisoned in Newgate, 
1799, for counterfeiting. Prior 
to this, he worked in Con- 
necticut towns doing book-- 
plates for clergymen, mer- 
chants and lawyers. 



Trial impression of engraved 
portrait of Jonathan Bird 
used as frontispiece for Ser- 
mons on various Subjects. . . , 
Hartford, 1814 




IRD, A.M. 



31 




Tea set by Marcus Merriman of Neii' Haven, lybi-iS^o 



The Kellogg print collection was considerably augmented 
through gifts by William H. Bulkeley and S. St. John Morgan. 

Philip Hammerslough was most generous in presenting a lovely 
three-piece silver tea set by Marcus Merriman of New Haven, the 
earliest Connecticut-made set known. In addition he gave a num- 
ber of pieces of Staflfordshire : a Newgate teapot and sugar bowl, 
McDonough's Victory cup and saucer, and a Wadsworth Tower 
cup. He also loaned a fine clock by Daniel Burnap, which graces 
the upper hall. 

As the result of the Jennys exhibition, Hanford MacNider of 
Mason City, Iowa, presented his two portraits of Isaac and Tamer 
Hawley signed by Richard Jennys. They are of great importance 
in the Jennys story and are much appreciated. Two fine portraits 
of Beach and Charity (Shelton) Tomlinson, also by Richard 
Jennys and in their original frames, are on indefinite loan from 
our member, C. P. Tomlinson of Danbury. 

At the auction of Early American Glass Bottles and Flasks, col- 
lected by the late Dr. Charles Osgood of Norwichtown, we were 
fortunate in acquiring a very rare half-pint masonic flask attributed 



32 



to the Coventry Glass Works. It is #7 on McKearin's list of most 
desirable items. 

The museum has the greatest public appeal of any of the So- 
ciety's functions, ami shortage of help is most readily apparent in 
that department. We must have special exhibitions and the time 
spent with records, planning and installation is beyond belief. No 
accessioning was done this year, and only with great effort and by 
slighting other activities were exhibitions possible. 




Rare Masonic flas^, olive green, Yi pint, attributed to the Coventry 

Glass Worlds 



Editor 

The usual Annual Report, four issues of the Bulletin and a Flood 
Extra were issued this year. It may be argued that our Bulletin 
lacks diversification and that we are over-emphasizing early art 
by devoting an entire issue to the exhibition of Richard and Wil- 
liam Jennys paintings last October, and the April issue containing 
a Jennys check list. However, as a result, we have gained consider- 
able stature nationally, and it would be a pity not to complete the 

33 



project through pubhcation of discoveries largely made possible 
by means of the exhibition. This illustrates what can be done in 
one field of specialization, and other subjects will follow as they 
can be developed. 

A catalogue of chairs in the Society has just been published and 
we hope shortly to prepare a catalogue of the Seymour collection. 
Fortunately Mr. Seymour left money for this purpose and now, 
with a format, it is only a matter of time. Ultimately we would 
like to do a catalogue of our portraits and ways and means of 
financing have been discussed. 

Charles S. Bissell's Atitique Furniture in Suffield, Connecticut, 
i6jo-i8^^, a gift of the author, was published jointly with the Suf- 
field Historical Society on April 12. It is a handsome book and is 
indicative of what all old towns should do in recording their an- 
tique furniture. In just over a month, 217 copies have been sold. 

Jonathan Trumbull, Connecticut's Merchant Magistrate, by 
Glenn Weaver, is due in July, and we have high hopes of its success. 
Later this year we are publishing The Con?iecticut River Steam- 
boat Story, by M. W. Jacobus. This subject should interest a great 
many people. 

Volume 29 of our Collections is in pages and is being indexed. 
It continues the letters of John Cotton Smith, Governor during 
the War of 1812, and is being published with a State Appropria- 
tion. The release date of this volume is tentatively scheduled for 
November. 

A manuscript concerning Daniel Burnap, by Penrose Hoopes, 
is next on the agenda — perhaps the spring of 1957. 

Book sales were spotty, again the result of inattention. Our list 
of publications for sale is four years out of date but, despite little 
effort, sales totalled $1413.57. Amounts credited to principal of 
funds are: 

Barbour Fund $30.00 

Brainard Fund i7-40 

Ancient Vital Records Fund 21.60 
Hoadly Fund 59.00 

Library-Museum Fund 107.87 

Colonial Wars Fund 5.00 

Publication Fund 99-55 

Putnam Fund 10.67 

34 



Publication Fund 


Surplus 


40.31 


Morris Fund 




4.00 


Shepard Fund 




8.40 


Waterman Fund 




228.84 


To income — 






Bissell Fund 




694.75 


Publication Fund 


143-99 



We need financial assistance in publishing worthwhile manu- 
script collections and interpretive writings on Connecticut his- 
tory. We ought to be in a position to publish annually the best 
work available. In this manner, young scholars would be encour- 
aged to study in this field, for the product of their research would 
be considered for publication. Of those books previously mentioned 
only the Trumbull book is being published with our funds, and 
future publications will depend upon receipts from sales. 

Conclusion 

We are grateful to the following speakers for their talks to us 
this year: 

November i, 1955 Mrs. Haven Parker, Boston, Massachusetts, "200 

Years of American Painting." 

December 6, 1955 Glenn Weaver, New London, "Jonathan Trum- 

bull, Connecticut's Merchant Magistrate." 

January 3, 1956 Lyent W. Russell, New Haven, "Indian Sites in 

Connecticut." 

February 7, 1956 Carroll Alton Means, Woodbridge, "Valentines." 

March 6, 1956 Thomas H. Ormsbee, Pound Ridge, New York, 

"Know Your Heirlooms." 

April 3, 1956 Henry S. Kelly, Hamden, "Early Connecticut 

Meeting Houses." 

May I, 1956 Films produced by E. I. du Pont de Nemours & 

Company: "Courage in Connecticut" and "What 
Hath God Wrought." 

In conclusion, a word of credit where credit is due to your offi- 
cers and committees. During a trying time, fraught with monu- 

35 



mental decisions, they gave unstintingly of their time and experi- 
ence. The Standing and Building Committees, especially, had much 
to consider and decide. The Publication Committee individually 
read many manuscripts and collectively determined those suitable 
to carry the Society's imprint. This type of service is hardly an 
obligation and is not for sale. We are greatly indebted to them. 

Elsewhere the list of donors to the Flood Fund will appear and 
words cannot describe our gratitude to them. Those lenders to the 
Jennys and Mechanical Banks exhibitions also deserve recognition. 
To William L. Warren, a special word of credit. He did the ground 
work, research and arrangements for the Jennys show at a time 
when our little world seemed at an end. Given assurance we 
would make our schedule, he did everything to make that exhibi- 
tion the outstanding success it was. 

For the first time, gifts exceeded $50,000, including the grant 
from the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving. This is an 
amazing testimonial of faith and interest in the Society. It is deeply 
regretted that the bulk of this money was useci in necessary re- 
pairs to the building and future protection from floods rather 
than in tangible progress. 

Last year your Director pointed out the need for additional 
help. This need is now critical. We are at least three staft mem- 
bers short of minimum requirements. The present stafiF is so over- 
burdened that improvement must not be expected of them. I would 
be remiss in my duty if I did not bring this to your attention again. 
Endowment and income must be increased if permanent solution 
to the problem is forthcoming. This Society occupies a unique posi- 
tion today, and becoming the best historical society in the country 
is not beyond our reach. 

Respectfully, 

Thompson R. Harlow, Director 



36 



Flood Donors 



The Society is grateful for the contributions to the Flood Fund. 



Dr. Arthur Adams 

Muriel Alvorci 

Mrs. James P. Aniirews 

Anonymous 

Robert G. Armstrong 

Mrs. B. F. Auerbach 

Mrs. Clarence S. Austin 

Sara B. C. Ballard 

Dorothy C. Beers 

Carrie J. Belden 

Mrs. Robert A. Beyers 

Grace E. Bliss 

Ruth Bosworth 

Mr. Jk Mrs. Newton C. 

Brainard 
E. R. Brownson 
Kingsley D. Bundy 
Sarah A. W. Burr 
Mrs. O. A. Campbell 
Bertha W. Clark 
Mrs. Walter H. Clark 
Mrs. Dorothy W. Cleaveland 
Mrs. Fred R. Clouse 
Mrs. E. A. Coffin 
Grace B. Coffin 
Francis W. Cole 
R. H. Cole 
Mrs. Iva B. Collins 
Mrs. W. A. Countryman 
Florence S. M. Crofut 
C. C. Cunningham 
Ralph D. Cuder 
Mrs. John E. Daniels 
J. M. K. Davis 
Mrs. Henrv J. Dunleavy 
E. W. Eddy 

Mrs. Stanley W. Edwards 
J. O. Enders 
Rev. James F. English 
Mrs. T. S. Farrell 
Eleanor Ferguson 
Marietta N. Fitch 



Elizabeth Parker Fitler 

Richard J. Fowie 

Arthur C. Fox 

Alfred C. Fuller 

Marsha L. Gebhardt 

George H. Gilman, Jr. 

W. C. Goeben 

James L. Goodwin 

Mrs. Charles G. Granniss 

Rt. Rev. Walter Gray 

Louise Hall 

Margaret M. N. Hall 

A. J. Hapke 

Mrs. P. C. Harmany 

Hartford Bird Study Club 

W. A. Haviland, Jr. 

Mrs. W. E. Hawley 

Ruth Havden 

M. T. Hazen 

Harold G. Holcombe 

Mrs. Herbert House 

Harold Hugo 

Elinor H. B. Ingersoll 

Mrs. John Day Jackson 

Editha L. Jacobs 

Ward S. Jacobs 

Mabel L. Johnson 

W. H. Judd 

C. Frederick Kaufholz 

Mrs. Edward L. Kernochan 

Anna M. Kcyes 

Richard C. Lincoln 

Mrs. William D. Love 

Marion B. McLean 

Mrs. Ethelwyn K. Marshall 

\'ekla Merrick 

Mrs. Earl H. Meyer 

Louis M. Miner 

Judge Thomas J. Molloy 

Charles F. Montgomery 

E. A. Moore 

Mrs. George T. Parks 



Jessie A. Parsons 
John E. Parsons 
Lewis W. Phelps 
Marshall Prentiss 
Lucille N. Pntcharcl 
Marcella R. Putnam 
Claude J. Ranney 
Marjorie M. Reinhardt 
Agnes Ripley 
E. C. Roberts 
George Roberts 
William Walker Rockwell 
Dr. and Mrs. Robert L. 

Rowley 
C. F. T. Seavcrns 
Howard H. Shiras, M.D. 
Rabbi Morris Silverman 
Gwendolyn M. Smith 
Eleanor Tarleton St. John 
Francis E. Stern 
Frederick G. Strong 
R. M. Terrv 
Prof. D. G.' Brinton 

Thompson 
James L. Thomson 
Madora W. Thomson 
Marjorie S. Turner 
L. J. Tuttlc 
Wadhams and May 

Company 
R. Miles Warner 
Frederic L. Way 
Lina C. Weeks 
D'Alte A. Welch 
Mrs. H. K. W. Welch 
Samuel P. Williams 
Everett C. Willson 
Elizabeth M. Wise 
Orin R. Witter, M.D. 
Mrs. Guy F. Wood 
L Mildred Zamel 



3? 



Library Donors 



Adams, Dr. Arthur 
Ahern, Katherine C. 
Allen, Hubbell 
American Antiquarian 

Society 
Armstrong, H. A. 
Armstrong, Rev. Robert G. 
Ashley, Mabel P. 
Barr, Lockwood 
Batterson, Walter E. 
BoUman, H. W. 
Brainard, Morgan B. 
Brainard, Newton C. 
Broadhurst, Mrs. Leon P. 
Brouwer, Ogden 
California Historical Society 
Case, James R. 
Chandler, Mrs. Woods 
Clark, Mrs. Henry M. 
Coffin, Mrs. E. A. 
Connecticut, State of 
Connecticut League of 

Historical Societies 
Connecticut Printers 
Connecticut State Library 
Connecticut Valley Historical 

Society 
Deans, John B. 
Elston, James S. 



Episcopal Diocese of 
Connecticut 

Frankenstein, Alfred V. 

Freeman, Mrs. Harrison B. 

Glastonbury Historical 
Society 

Goodspeed's Book Shop 

Greene, John P. 

Hartford Public Library 

Hatch, Benton L. 

Historical & Philosophical 
Society of Ohio 

Holcombe, Mrs. John M., Jr. 

Holden, Benedict M., Jr. 

Huntington, Mrs. Robert W. 

Jacobus, Melancthon W. 

John Carter Brown Library 

Kellogg, Annie F. 

Keyes, Wilma B. 

Kilbourne, Dr. Austin 

Kingswood School 

Ladin, Harvey N. 

Laggren, Mrs. Robert I. 

Maidment, Mrs. Emily H. 

Massachusetts, Common- 
wealth of 

Morgan, S. St. John 

Morris, Robert S. 

National Gallcrv of Art 



New Jersey Historical 

Society 
Parsons, John E. 
Pierpont Morgan Library 
Riedel, Mrs. Raymond W. 
Roberts, Rev. George 
Royal Typewriter Co. 
Ruth Wyllys Chapter, 

D.A.R. 
Scott, Kenneth 
Smales, Herbert T. 
Smith, James Morton 
Smith, Richard R. 
Smith College 
Society of Colonial Wars 
Spinney, Frank O. 
Stetson, Mrs. John M. 
Stillman, Alice W. 
Terry, Alfred H. 
Twining, Mrs. William E. 
Walpole Society 
Warren, William L. 
Waterman, Edgar F. 
Waterman, Marjorie F. 
Western Reserve Historical 

Society 
Whittemore, C. R. 
Wise, Mrs. William S. 
Witkower, Israel 
Wolf, Martin L. 



Genealogical Donors 



Ahern, Katherine C. 
Ashby, Robert L. 
Bailey, Brenda B. 
Barber, Mrs. Gertrude A. 
Britton, Mrs. W. Thomas 
Campbell, Willis L. 
Carlsen, Mrs. F. H. 
Clark, Bertha W. 
Clark, Mrs. Walter H. 
Corson, Orville 
Danielson, Edith 
Davis, Mrs. E. C. 
Dunham, Ethel C. 
Durren, Helen 



Eldred, Mrs. Roger M. 
Everest, David C, estate of 
Fitler, Mrs. Elizabeth P. 
Fyler, Wadsworth G. 
Gicre, Mrs. Howard S. 
Hayward, Kendall P. 
Johnson, Laurence A. 
Ketchen, William M. 
Mack, Dr. H. W. 
Marsh, Warren L. 
Moore, Horace G. W. 
Moulthrop, Mary A. 
Perrin, Carl L. 
Russell, George E. 



Sawers, Mary B. 
Shoemaker, William M. 
Smith, Edward Church 
Spears, Mabel L 
Stradling, Mrs. Harriet L. 
Sutton, F. W. 
Sweet, Mrs. John H. T. 
Swift, E. Kent 
Thompson, Arthur R. 
Tulpin, Julia E. 
Waterman, Fred L. 
Whitman, John T. 
Winslow, Mrs. Kenelm 
Wood, Mrs. Guy F. 



38 



Manuscript Accessions 

Katherine C. Ahcrn, West Hartford. 

Note; Noah (Jrant to Johnathan Waren, Fort Edward, Mar. 25, 1756. 

Reif. Robert G. Armstrong, West Hartford. 
Nathan Hale, a word portrait. (14 pp.) 

Mrs. Gertrude A. Barber, New Yor/^, N.Y. 
Burt family notes. (2 pp.) 

Walter E. Batterson, Hartford. 

Letters to James G. Batterson, of Hartford, relating to election of Abra- 
ham Lincoln, 1864. (254) 

Mrs. W . Thomas Brilton, Fort Worth, Texas. 
Meacham family data. (2 sheets) 

Mrs. Leon P. Broad hurst, Hartford. 

Letters concerning Alicia Adams, wife of Treasurer Lawrence. (6) 

Ogden Brouwer, New Yor{, N.Y. 

Dedication of plaque in the Congregational Church, Lebanon, Conn., 
Oct. 30, 1955. (typescript) 

Willis L. Campbell, Dixie, Washington. 

Ancestral Charts of Willis L. Campbell. 

Mrs. F. H. C arisen, Am bury, lotva. 

Catlin family notes; descendants of Thomas Catlin. (4 pp.) 

Mrs. Woods Chandler, Hartford. 

"Reminiscences of Old Hartford," read before the Friday Club, Nov, 

3' 1933- 
Bertha W . ClarJ^, Boston, Massachusetts. 

Congdon line of the compiler and seventh generation of other Congdons 
tabulated. (120 pp.) 

Edith Danielson, Providence, Rhode Island. 

Wills of Jacob Whitman and James Daniels. 

Mrs. E. C. Davis, New Smyrna Beach, Florida. 

Gards-Guards family of Connecticut and New Jersey. (6 pp.) 

Mrs. Roger M. Eldred, West Hartford. 

Proof of birth of Marguerite Esther (Case) Norton, (photostat) 

Mrs. Elizabeth P. Fitler, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania. 

Notes concerning the descendants of Ralph Allen of Rehoboth, Mass. 

(6 pp.) 
Notes on the Dunham-Eells families. 

Wadsworth G. Fyler, West Simsbury. 

Fyler family Bible, 1848, containing family records. 

Mrs. Howard S. Giere, Baton Rouge, Louisiana. 

Waterman-Libby Bible records, certified copy. (16 pp.) 

39 



Kendall P. Hayward, East Hartford. 

Dunham family notes and corrections. (2 pp.) 

Mrs. John M. Holcombe, Jr., Farmington. 

Letters, mostly to Nelson Brewster, of Goshen, 1830-50, of political in- 
terest. (117) 
Mrs. Robert W. Huntington, Hartford. 

Eyewitness account of the Battle of Bunker Hill, June 16, 1775, by 
Josiah Cleaveland. 

Laurence A. Johnson, Syracuse, N.Y. 

Genealogy of the descendants of Capt. Edmund Johnson, 1741-1812. 
Notes concerning the Clapp, Craw, Palmer and Wellman families. 

Austin Kilbourn, M.D., Hartford. 

Account book of Sherman Osborn of Middlebury, 1815-1817, stone- 
cutter, containing gravestone inscriptions. 
Account book of Wait Garret, 1 810-1847. 

Dr. Harry W. Mac\, Detroit, Michigan. 

Mack and Sine families, 1955. (74 pp.) 
Horace G. W. Moore, Hartford, and William M. Ketchen, Fort Lauderdale, 
Florida. 

Kitchen family: Descendants of Andrew and Margaret (Gilmore) 
Kitchen, ca. 1770. (mimeo.) 

Mary A. Moulthrop, Rochester, N.Y. 

Copy of Monroe County, N.Y. tombstone records showing Connecticut 
origins of families in that county. (8 pp.) 

New Jersey Historical Society, Newark^, New Jersey. 

Account book of Laban Beach, of Litchfield, 1790-1833, containing 
family records. 

C. L. Perrin, New Hartford, Iowa. 

Perrin family history and genealogy. (50 pp. mimeo.) 

Mrs. Raymond W . Riedel, Biddeford, Maine. 

Elegy on the death of Stephen Olmsted, Jr., who died Sept. 9, 1776. 

George E. Russell, Chesterton, Ohio. 

Russell families of 17th century New England. (25 pp. mimeo.) 

Mary B. Sawers, Middletown. 

Revolutionary and vital records of Jeremiah Mead, of Ridgefield. (14 
PP-) 
William M. Shoemaf^er, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania. 

Shoemaker family data. 

Edward Church Smith, La\ewood , Ohio. 

Supplement to "Ancestors of Samuel Smith," 1947. 

Mrs. John M. Stetson, Williamsburg, Virginia. 

Documents and letters concerning Obadiah Mead, of North Greenwich. 
(2 boxes) 

40 



Mrs. Harriet j. Stradling, Mesa, Arizona. 

Lamb ancestry of Mrs. Harriet J. (Lamb) Stradling. 

F. W . Sutton, Los Angeles, California. 

Sutton family: notes regarding the line of James Sutton. 

Mrs. John H. T. Sweet, West Hartford. 

Bible records of Daniel Wildman and Mary Weed, married Aug. 15, 

1791. 

Alfred H. Terry, Hadlyme. 

Letters concerning administration of the Dakota Territory, Maj. Gen. 
Alfred H, Terry, commanding. (51) 

Arthur R. Thompson, West Hartford. 

Thompson-Thomson family records. (2) 

fulia E. Tulpin, Springfield, Illinois. 
Fuller family data. 

William L. Warren, Litchfield. 

Account book of John Tallmadge, of Litchfield, 1804-06. 

Document: Alexander Stewart to Joel Hide, Preston, June 15, 1796. 

Western Reserve Historical Society, Cleveland, Ohio. 

Account book of Stephanus Knight, of Enfield, 1 795-1 827. 

fohn T. Whitman, West Hartford. 

Copy of the will of Joshua Abbott, of Ellington, Feb. 12, 1834. 

Mrs. Guy F. Wood, Wells, Vermont. 

Pawlet, Vermont, births, taken from first volume of records to 1850. (9 

PP-) 

Purchase. 

Account book, 1814-17. 

Account book of Jeduthan Goodwin, New Hartford, 1795-1839. 

Ancestry of Mrs. J. W. Baldwin. 

Autograph album of Lottie Merriman, Farmington schoolgirl. 

Certificate of Eagle Bank, New Haven, 1813. 

Certificate of Mineral Springs Manufacturing Co., Jan. i, 1852. 

Descendants of Capt. Stephen Stowe. 

Diary of Joseph Goodrich, 1849, of Meriden [ ? ]. 

Document: signed Jonathan Pettibone, Aug. 5, 1776, to his son Jona- 
than. 

Document: State of Connecticut to Alfred Bliss for whitewashing 
Treasurer's Office, Apr. 27, 18 14. 

Document: William Hillhouse to Timothy Jones, concerning Connecti- 
cut Manufacturing Lottery, Aug. 17, 1795. 

Documents concerning confiscation of land belonging to Jeremiah 
Learning of Fairfield, 1791-2. (6) 

Documents, 1763, concerning Simeon Baxter, counterfeiter, Hartford. 

Invoices of various cotton mills, Coventry, Sterling, Plainfield, 181 2-14. 

Journal of Edith Allen, Windsor Locks, 1869. 

41 



Kendalls of Connecticut, by Kendall P. Hay ward, 1956. 

Letter, American Bicycle Co., Hartford, to C. C. Stirling, Aug. 5, 1901. 

Letter book of Christopher Ripley, Trinidad, Sept. 27, 1807. 

Letter by Col. Jacob Kingsbury, New London, August 1814. 

Letter by Samuel R. Gager, Sharon, June 25, 1810. 

Letter concerning silk mill, West Hartford, March 22, 1839. 

Letter from Enoch Reynolds to Christopher Ripley, Washington, Aug. 
31,1815. 

Letter from Gideon Welles, Hartford, Apr. 2, 1841, to Francis Granger, 
Postmaster General. 

Letter from L. Ripley to Betsey Ripley, Windham, n.d. 

License to make saddles, issued to Gamaliel Manning, Windham, 1815. 

List of men receiving bounty and wages, Simsbury, June 1779. 

Manifest, schooner "Lucky John," Hartford, 1790. 

Memorial of Samuel Chapman, concerning iron furnace at Salisbury, 
May 1787. 

Military certificates. War of 181 2 and others, Norwich, Lyme, Plainfield, 
etc. 

Miscellaneous Farmington papers, 1773-96. 

Miscellaneous Philleo family material. 

Music book perhaps owned by David Edgcomb, Jr., of Groton. 

Music for "The Snow Bird" composed by P. Gallup, ca. 1840. 

Notebook of Daniel Burnap containing directions and sketches for mak- 
ing clocks. 

Notes concerning the Bragdon family of York, Maine. 

Order for beaver and hat trimmings, G. Caldwell, 1782. 

Papers of the Brewster family of Connecticut. 



Printed Genealogies 

Angell, Armisted, Ashby-Badger, Axford, Billing, Bond, Brown, Carson, 
Cobb, Coffin, Curtice, Dana, Dunham, Everest, Galpin, Gorham, Grant, 
McLean, Marsh, Merrow, Pierce, Riggs, Starr, Swift, Tanner, Thompson, 
Waterman, Whitin, Wilcox. 



Manuscript Genealogical Notes 

Allen, Baldwin, Bragdon, Burt, Campbell, Catlin, Clapp-Craw-Palmer- 
Wellman, Congdon, Dunham, Dunham-Eells, Fuller, Gards, Johnson, Ken- 
dall, Kitchen, Lamb, Mack-Sine, Meacham, Mead, Norton, Perrin, Russell, 
Shoemaker, Smith, Stow, Sutton, Thompson. 



Bible Records 

Curtis, Fyler, Hoskins, Waterman-Libby, Wildman-Weed. 
42 



FINANCIAL REPORT 

Condensation of report of 
AUerton C. Hickmott, Treasurer 

Principal 
INCOME FOR GENERAL EXPENSES 

Dues 

Rent of building 

Charles G. Woodward Trust 

Reserves 

ENDOWMENT FUNDS FOR GENERAL EXPENSES 

Albert C. Bates Fund, established by gift in 

1 906 $ 1 ,023.70 

Silas Chapman, Jr. Fund, bequest November, 

1926 68,500.00 

Sophia F. Coe Fund, bequest April, 1916 1,050.00 

Wilbur L. Cross Fund, established in December 

1947 by Alain C. White 100.00 

George Henry Fitts Fund in memory of Colonel 

Thomas Knowlton, bequest January, 1925 . . . 10,000.00 

General Fund, established in 1849 17,308.67 

James J. Goodwin Fund, established in October, 
1 91 5 by Mrs. James J. Goodwin in memory of 

her husband 20,000.00 

E. Stevens Henry Fund, bequest February, 1922 550.00 

Jonas Coolidge Hills Fund, trust established by 

will in 1913, terminated 1954 55''535-58 

James B. Hosmer Fund, bequest September, 1878 5,000.00 
Dr. William Ward Knight Fund, bequest De- 
cember, 1923 8,000.00 

Francis T. Maxwell Fund, bequest March, 1942 5,000.00 
Henry L. Miller Fund, bequest of Annie C. Mil- 
ler in 1943 in memory of her father 4,182.43 

Charles Morris Mills Fund in memory of Jona- 
than Flynt Morris, bequest 1951 500.00 

Edward B. Peck Fund, bec|uest October, 1928 . . 32,500.00 

William H. Putnam Fund, derived from sales of 

The Tti'O Putnams 299.99 

Dr. Gurdon W. Russell Fund, bequest in 1909 
of $3,000 and bequest of Mrs. Russell in 1922 

of $5,000 8,000.00 

James Shepard Fund, bequest in 1929 with addi- 
tions from sale of books given for the purpose 1,847.27 



Income 

4,467.00 

36370 
7,130.34 
3,000.00 



25.58 

4.209.78 
64.52 

6.14 

614.57 
708.14 



1,229.13 
33.81 

3,413.02 
307.28 

491.65 
307.28 

257.04 

30.73 
I '997-33 

18.15 



491.65 
113.04 

43 



Edwin Simons Fund, bequest December, 191 5 . . 5,400.00 

Grace F. Smith Fund, bequest in 1950 5,000.00 

Jane T. Smith Fund, bequest in 1930 1,000.00 

Ellen Battell Stoeckel Fund, bequest in 1939 . . . 10,000.00 

Mary K. Talcott Fund, bequest in 1920 6,100.00 

Mabel C. TuUer Fund, bequest in 195 1 5,000.00 

Tuttle Fund, bequest in 1940 of $5,000 from Jane 
Tuttle and bequest in 1941 of $4,925 from 

Ruel C. Tuttle 10,000.00 

Edgar F. Waterman Fund, established by gifts 
in 1947 with additions from sale of books given 

for the purpose 9,031.64 

Alain C. White Fund, established 1954, partial 

receipt of bequest in 195 1 2,500.00 

Albion B. Wilson Fund, bequest in 1951 10,000.00 

Charles G. Woodward Fund, bequest in 1950 . . 20,000.00 

Total Income for General Expenses 

LESS EXPENSES 

Bank fee $ 1,990.37 

Binding 352.57 

Miscellaneous 1,552.44 

Photostats 79-47 

Postage 857.68 

Printing 1,628.64 

Library supplies 897.65 

Social Security 237.09 

Summer help 298.00 

Salaries 18,800.00 

Microprint 750.00 

Museum and library purchases 500.00 

Total General Expense 

Surplus 4/30/56 

Previous balance 

Balance 4/30/56 

INCOME FOR BUILDING EXPENSES 

George E. Hoadley Fund $464,1 12.98 

George Dudley Seymour Fund 31,300.00 

Total Income for Building Expenses .... 



331-86 
307.28 
61.46 
614.57 
374.88 
307.28 



614.57 



512.07 

153.64 

614.57 

1,229.13 

$ 34,401.19 



$ 27,943.91 

$ 6,457.28 
2,062.63 

$ 8,519.91 



$ 23,461.41 
1,923.60 

$ 25,385.01 



44 



LESS EXPENSES 

Bank fee $ 1,121.80 

ADT 848.77 

Fuel 1,192.37 

<^as 37.90 

Insurance 264.47 

Electricity 1,491.18 

Repairs 641.35 

Supplies 495-42 

Water 42.97 

Equipment 365.75 

Grounds 1,012.88 

Social Security 152.96 

Miscellaneous 350-93 

Telephone 258.60 

Salaries 1 1,016.00 

Total Building Expense $ 19,327.32 

Surplus 4/30/56 $ 6,157.72 

Previous balance 1,062.42 

Balance 4/30/56 $ 7,120.14 

INCOME FOR LIBRARY AND MUSEUM PURCHASES 

Principal Income 

Endowment funds for library and museum purchases 

George Buell Alvord Fund, established in De- 
cember, 1955 by Muriel Alvord of West Hart- 
ford in memory of her father, the income only 
to be used for acquisition of manuscript ma- 
terials $ 4,800.00 

Lucius B. Barbour Fund, derived from the sale 
of Manwaring's Early Connecticut Probate 
Records 853.81 $ 51.13 

William F. J. Boardman Fund, derived from 
sales of copies of Boardman Genealogy, ]Veth- 
ersfield Inscriptions, Boardman Ancestry and 
Greenleaj Ancestry 1,141.43 69.93 

Lucy A. Brainard Fund, established by gift in 
1892 which is being further increased through 
the sale of books presented for the purpose by 
Morgan B. Brainard, Newton C. Brainard, and 
The Case, Lockwood & Brainard Co 2,677.32 163.89 

45 



Connecticut Society of Colonial Wars Fund, es- 
tablished in 1925 by gift of the Society of one- 
half interest in remaining unsold copies of 
Vital Records of Norwich 241.25 

Florence T. Gay Fund, bequest in 1953 for the 
care and increase of the Julius Gay collection 
of Farmington manuscripts 2,051.47 

Charles }. Hoadly Fund, derived from sale of 
Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut 
and Volume 3 of the Public Records of the 
State of Connecticut 3,799.94 

Library-Museum Fund, derived from sale of 
books presented in 1948 by Mrs. J. C. Hills 
augmented by books from Barclay Robinson 
and Kenneth Lord 765.31 

Horace E. Mather Fund, bequest in December, 
1933 by Lucy O. Mather in memory of her 
father 5,000.00 

Jonathan Flynt Morris Fund, derived from sales 
of Morris Register presented by the daughters 
of Mr. Morris i54-4o 

Thomas Robbins Fund, bequest in 1856 by the 

Society's first Librarian 6,580.63 

Dr. Gurdon W. Russell Book Fund, derived from 

sales of Descendants of John Russell 266.52 

George Dudley Seymour Museum Fund, bequest 

in 1945 for the Seymour Collection 25,117.49 

Newman C. Hungerford Fund, for care and in- 
crease of coin collection 2,000.00 

From sales of duplicates 

Gifts 

Total income for acquisitions 

Less purchases and repairs 

Balance added to reserves 

Total reserves 

PUBLICATIONS r. ■ ■ , 

Principal 

Publication Fund $ 38.363.33 

Sale of books 

From reserves 

Less expense of Bulletin 

Balance 



14.67 



1 16. i: 



230.95 



42.66 
307.28 

9-37 

404.42 

16.38 

1,543.63 

122.92 
2,329.25 

256.52 

$ 5,679.12 

4.922.58 

I 756.54 
$ 5.977.08 

Income 
$ 2,314.05 
145.49 
1,897.46 

$ 4,357.00 

4>357-oo 

$ 1,263.14 



46 



State Appropriation Fund 

From reserves 

Less composition volume 29 Collections 
Balance 



B> 1 ,000.00 
12.00 

$ 1,012.00 
1,012.00 

$ 2,249.36 



SPECIAL FUNDS 

Ancient Vital Records Fund, established 1907, 
for publication of town records of Connecticut 

Amount of Fund 4/30/55 

Books sold 

Present balance 

Anonymous Museum Fund 

Present balance 

Bissell Fund 

Proceeds of sales of Antique Furniture in 
Suffield, Connecticut, i6yo-i8j^ published 
April 12, 1956. To be divided equally with The 
Suffield Historical Society, gift of Charles S. 

Bissell $ 694.75 

Welles Fund 

Established in 1924. Income to be available 
when principal reaches $600 

Amount of Fund 4/30/55 514-57 

Income, added to principal 32.10 

Present balance of Principal $ 546-67 

FLOOD GIFTS $ 28,118.98 

Less flood expenses 25,989.22 

Excess of contributions over expense, trans- 
ferred at donors request to George E. Hoad- 
ley Fund Principal, for erection of audi- 
torium 



$ 258.88 
15.60 

$ 274.48 



1,297.00 



$ 2,129.76 



FOUNDATION GRANT 

Received from Hartford Foundation for Pub- 
lic Giving to erect a dike protecting the build- 
ing from the Park River 



16,000.00 
47 



INSURANCE 

Received from Travelers Insurance Company, 
Valuable Papers 

Policy, flood losses 5,000.00 

Less purchases 1,919.40 



Present balance $ 3,148.60 

ADDED TO PRINCIPAL 
From sales 

Barbour Fund $ 30.00 

Boardman Fund 3.50 

Brainard Fund i7-40 

Connecticut Society Colonial Wars Fund . . 2.50 

Charles J. Hoadly Fund 59.00 

Library Museum Fund 92.87 

Morris Fund 4.00 

Publication Fund 85.10 

Putnam Fund 10.67 

Shepard Fund 8.40 

Waterman Fund 272.18 



$ 585-62 

Gift, Edgar F. Waterman, Waterman Fund .... 500.00 

Gift, Muriel Alvord, Alvord Fund 4,800.00 

Welles Fund, from income 32.10 

Publication Fund, admissions 347.00 

life memberships 450.00 

Cash distribution Florence T. Gay estate to Gay 

Fund 161.96 

Newton C. & Elsie B. Brainard, excess of contri- 
bution over flood expense, transferred to Hoad- 

ley Fund for Auditorium 2,129.76 



Total added to principal $ 9,006.44 

Allerton C. Hickmott, 

Treasurer. 



48 



MEMBERS are proud that The Connecticut Historical Society is the 
largest and most important repository in the State for private 
records. We are pleased to accept responsibility for preserving family 
papers, business and political correspondence, diaries, journals and ac- 
count books, Bible records, maps, files of newspapers, periodicals, prints, 
photographs and volumes written by Connecticut authors and materials 
printed in this State. 

For the Museum, we are particularly interested in securing portraits, 
locally made furniture and fine specimens of the everyday articles of 
living which are so often worn out before anyone has thought of placing 
them in an institution. In this way we shall eventually have a complete 
picture of the changes in styles and customs in our State. Articles bear- 
ing labels of a Connecticut manufacturer are also highly desirable. The 
Acquisitions Committee will be pleased to consult with you concerning 
possible gifts or deposits. 

Persons interested in becoming members of the Society may secure 
application blanks and descriptive literature by addressing the Director. 

The admission fee of $5.00, which takes the place of the first year's 
dues, must accompany the application for membership. It is credited to 
the principal of the Publication Fund. Thereafter, annual dues may be 
$3.00, $5.00 or $15.00, depending upon class of membership. Associate 
Members, who must reside outside the State of Connecticut, pay I3.00 
annually; they receive the Bulletin and Annual Report, but they may 
not vote nor hold office. Active Members pay $5.00 annually, and may 
vote and, if Connecticut residents, may hold office. Contributing Mem- 
bers pay I15.00 annually. All members may purchase publications at 20% 
discount, have access to the reading room shelves and the privilege of 
genealogical correspondence service. Information concerning special 
privileges of Life, Endowment and Benefactor Members may be secured 
upon application. 

Communications may be addressed to 

THE CONNECTICUT HISTORICAL SOCIETY 
I Elizabeth Street 
Hartford 5, Connecticut 



T!^^^^^':':^y 



01A 111 531b