Skip to main content
3 9999 06298 252 3
if} .■ >
cN9 * 6345. 55
Digitized by the Internet Archive
in 2011 with funding from
Boston Public Library
The Board of Trustees op the Charlestown Free Schools,
jii compliance with a law of the Commonwealth, respectfully submit
the following as their
The statistics of the Schools, at the last examination, were as fol-
lows: number of Schools 21; teachers and assistant S9; salaries $11,-
740; scholars 2416; average attendance 19S6.
There have been no alterations in the School System of the town
during the past year. The Warren School House, partially destroy-
ed by fire, has been thoroughly repaired. This beautiful and sub-
stantial building is now in better condition than it was originally. —
The finish of the interior is better; the accommodations for the Pri-
mary Schools are increased and the building is better ventilated. The
expense of repairs was $4030.
The following table gives the statistics of these Schools at the date of
the last examinations.
THE PRIMARY SCHOOLS.
B. Hill School House,
Melvina B. Skilton,
Ellen W. Whittemore,
Warren School Hou^e,
Sarah C. Reynolds,
Caroline R. Wiley,
Sarah E. Smith,
E. D. Moulton,
J. S. Putnam,
Town Hill Street,
Bunker Hill Street,
Susan M. Nichols,
Jane M. Burkess,
Warren School House,
Mary J. Chandler,
H. M. Austin,
good order, cheerfulness and a fine spirit. In a word — our schools,
so far from retrograding or standing still, are improving. They are
keeping up with the times, and this is saying a good deal ; for if appear-
ances indicate any thing it is, that the community will not rest satis-
fied until they see these free grammar schools furnishing full oppor-
tunities for youth to acquire a thorough English Education, an edu-
cation that shall fit them for extended usefulness and high self-culture.
Gentlemen from abroad concur with the observation of the com-
mittee, in ranking our schools as among the best of the vicinity.
That the progress of the scholars, generally, is satisfactory to the
citizens, may be inferred from the full attendance to be seen in them.
In fact our free schools have been steadily increasing in usefulness
and numbers, and thus superseding the necessity for private schools.
Five years ago, to meet the growing demand for school-room, the
Town voted $15,000 to build the Warren School House. This
is one of the best in the State and one of the cheapest in the
Town; it may be gratifying for the citizens to learn, that friends of
education far and near, have visited it and approve of it. When
this was built, many doubters thought that it was unwise to provide
such spacious rooms, and that it would take ten years, at least, to
fill it up. In this they will be disappointed. It is already nearly full
and the time has come when additional accommodations are necessa-
ry for the increase of scholars, in other schools. To prove this, let
facts be submitted to a candid community.
The Bunker Hill school, in May 1840, after satisfying the draft of
the Warren School on the South, still numbered 142 pupils. Two
years later, the incorporation of Somerville on the North, took off
more scholars. Yet, though this District has been clipped at both
sides, and made smaller, the number increased so much that an addi-
tional assistant was appointed the past year. It has now on its list
180 scholars, and the rooms have 183 seats. The venerable build-
ing that accommodates this school may, for a couple of years, meet
the wants of the population in its vicinity; but to say more, would
require of the Board to utterly disregard the signs indicated by the
neat and commodious dwellings rising on the sides of Bunker Hill.
These will soon send forth children, who will claim the right to go
to a "master's school." The citizens can run out the consequences
as well as the Board can.
The Warren School commenced April, 1840, with 275 pupils, ta-
ken from the Bunker Hill, Harvard, Winthrop grammar schools, and
the Primaries. Even after this general swarming it was remarked
there were scholars enough, for profit, left in the old hives. This
school now numbers 388, the school rooms have 400 seats. In all
probability, after the October examinations, there will be more scho-
lars than seats: but additional seats can be put in so as to accommo-
date, for some time, the influx of scholars. This school, may be set
down as nearly full. We now come to the Harvard school. In
April, 1840, this school was left with 240 scholars. When we view
the Substantial buildings that have been erected within a few years
near its central location, it will not appear so strange that there are
323 scholars now on its list as it will to suppose that this number of
pupils can be properly accommodated in school-rooms having but
284 seats. It cannot be denied that this school is overflowing with
pupils. But another case, worse yet, will be found in the Winthrop
for rejoicing : for an increase of population without an increase of
children presenting themselves lor instruction, would never be a wel-
come sign to patriotism. It would indicate indifference on the part
of parents to the noblest legacy they can give to their offspring. —
Hence to see our schools increase in numbers, as well as in useful-
ness, ought ever to be a graiilying spectacle. To preserve them from
factious partizanship and sectarian zeal should be the aim of the
watchful citizen. Whatever else they see fit to economise in, let it
be a point of duty with the rich and of right with the poor, to sustain
in full vigor the healthy influences of our noble Free Schools.
RICHARD FROTHINGHAM Jun. President.
Frederick Robinson, Secretary,
CAarlestown, Aprils 1844.
) ■> *