ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
3 1833 01766 0652
Lebanon County Historical Society
JUNE 16, 1899
A Visit to Annville Sixty Years Ago.
E. BENJ. BIERMAN, Ph.D.
Vol. 1. No. 8
Lebanon County Historical Society
JUNE 16, 1899
"A Visit to Annville Sixty Years Ago.
E. BENJ. BIERMAN, Ph.D.
Vol. 1. No. 8
VVkiglky & Co., Printers
"A Visit to Annville Sixty Years Ago."
E. BENJ. BIERMAN, Ph. D.
In his " Advancement of Learning," Lord Bacon says: " In-
dustrious persons by an exact and scrupulous diligence and
observation, out of monuments, names, words, proverbs, traditions,
private records and evidences, fragments of stories, passages of
books that concern not story, and the like, do save and recover
somewhat from the deluge of time."
In the gathering of the contents of this paper I have been
obliged to resort to the majority, if not all, of the sources of
information enumerated by the writer here quoted.
Sixty years ago witnessed the declining years of Martin Van
Buren's administration of our national affairs.
Van Buren was a man of great tact and uncommon shrewdness,
and except under the stress of party discipline he was patriotic as
well as sagacious, nor was he a bad president. Overwhelmed by
the financial crisis of 1837 when commercial ruin and repudiation
filled the land, and though the President showed no want of
coolness or resource, nothing could avert the effects of public
calamity on the reputation of the government and the party in
power. While on a canvassing tour from Harrisburg to Reading,
in the month of June, 1839, President Van Buren, with some of
his political associates made a brief stop at one of our hotels in
Annville. Several of our older citizens distinctly recall this event
and of their having paid their respects to him and his associates.
The carriage of the party was drawn by beautiful bay horses.
Politics was running high. Indeed the country has never known
a more excited canvass except during the late civil war than was
then pending. The Whigs and the Democrats were the two great
parties which disputed for victory.
Orators whose names are forever identified with the classic
period of American eloquence ; statesmen who were probing and
settling principles of constitutional law for coming generations ;
sagacious men, of all pursuits of life, were experimenting in the
problems of banking, protection, free trade, of slave and free labor,
of colonization, of internal improvements. Soldiers, whose laurels
136 LEBANON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
won in the late war with England had scarcely yet withered, and,
who jealous of every possible encroachment of the mother country,
were eagerly watching for the adjustment of all difficulties between
the two nations on a satisfactory basis — these all were interested
in the proper solution of the national problems in 1839.
The illustrious triumvirs — Clay, Webster and Calhoun — and
many others of hardly less fame, such as Benton, Preston, Wright
and Buchanan occupied seats in the American Senate. Confidence
was destroyed and trade in general was not recovering very rapidly.
The people looked forward, looked for a change in our
government before they could hope for better times.
David Rittenhouse Porter, a man a little over fifty years of age,
of thorough classical training, an ex-State Senator, was governor of
At the opening of the year the whole State was thrown into an
unusual political excitement by the so-called M Buck-shot War," and
this was not without its effect on the patriotic citizens of our county
Annville, sixty years ago, had by actual count one hundred
and fourteen houses occupied by families as private residences or as
business places ; all these buildings were of log, rough stone or frame,
with the exception of three — one on the north-west corner of Main
and Whiteoak streets, one on the south-west corner of Main and
King streets, and one on the south-east corner of Main and Mill
streets — which were of brick, and the probable population was
between five and six hundred. By the official census of the fol-
lowing year Lebanon county had a population of 21,872, and
Annville township, including the two divisions of north and south,
2,649. There were also 689 white persons over twenty years of age,
reported for the county, who could neither read or write.
Two church edifices only are found in the town. The Jerus-
alem Union German Reformed and Lutheran Church, now called
Christ's Reformed Church, near South Whiteoak Street, which was
erected in 1804, and the United Brethren Church, on Queen Street
near Mill Street, in the south-western section of the village, erected
in the year 1820 or 1821. The Rev. Henry Wagner, residing at
Lebanon, was the pastor of the Reformed congregation, and the
Rev. Jonathan Ruthrauff, also residing at Lebanon, was the pastor
of the Lutheran congregation. The former having charge of the
First Reformed Church and the latter of Salem Evangelical Luth-
eran, both located in the town of Lebanon.
These congregations were then as they were for many years
afterward, as well as before, supplied with preaching by ministers
stationed at the county seat.
The United Brethren Church was part of a large circuit under
the supervision of a presiding elder and the Rev. Casper Light was
"A VISIT TO ANNVILLE SIXTY YEARS AGO. 137
The best informed citizens of the town tell me that the Penn-
sylvania Dutch was then spoken by everybody, man, woman and
child, and that but few made use of the English language.
There were three school buildings in town. The one-story
academy building of lime stone on the south side of Main street,
almost opposite Peter Graybill's present residence, which was in
charge of a Miss Rohrer as principal, where the so-called higher
branches were taught ; and two others for instruction in the
common school branches. One a log building on the south-west
corner of Whiteoak and Queen streets and the other of frame at
the south-west corner of Chestnut and Queen streets. Both
buildings are still standing and are occupied as private residences.
Mr. George C. Strine, a German by birth, and a man of fine
educational qualifications, was the teacher of the school at the
corner of Whiteoak and Queen streets at this time
and for many years previous, as well as later. The salary paid to
the teacher was from two to three cents a day for each pupil
attending. Strine's private residence was the school building. He
also followed conveyancing and scrivening, as the following an-
nouncement appears in the "Lebanon Democrat" of that day :
'•The subscriber respectfully informs his friends and the public
generally that he has commenced the practice of Conveyancing and
Scrivening in all the different branches. His residence is near the
church in Millerstown, Lebanon county, where all instruments of
writing will be executed with great care and attention as he has
long been acquainted with the above business. George C. Strine."
A Sunday-school under the direction and management of the
members of the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations was
among the agencies to promote the spiritual instruction of the
children of the town, and among its workers were Mr. John
Shertzer, the superintendent, John D. Biever, Adam Ulnch, Jacob
Shertzer and Daniel Stine.
John D, Biever, born June 5, 1812, died April 5, 1880, was
then a young man of twenty-seven years and engaged in the tanning
business on Whiteoak street, south of Main. He was a prominent
teacher and superintendent of the Sunday-school for many years
and a valued and faithful member of the Lutheran Church to the
day of his death.
As my visitor approaches the town from the eist the first house
that meets his eye is on the northeast corner of Main and Manheim
streets, Mrs. Elizabeth Brightbill's present residence, occupied by
Dr. Gideon Fahnestock, born April 27, 1804, died May 4, 1866, a
young and ambitious physician of thirty-five years, with a successful
practice. He visits his country patients on horseback and is fre-
quently obliged to call several horses into service to reach his
138 LEBANON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
numerous patients. The house he then occupied is now located on
the opposite side of the street and is still used as a private residence.
A large blacksmith shop is in sight at the southwest corner of the
street, Dr. Marshall's present residence.
Mr. Philip Carmany, born March 1, 1794, died April 15, 1873,
a man of forty-five, is the owner, and one who can swing the ham-
mer to some purpose. It is related of him that on a certain occasion
after completing a job for a neighbor his bill for the work was
pronounced exorbitant when he looked up sternly and replied :
" Why Ich muss viel charche for an lewe zu macha for Ich habsehr
wenig tzu do."
On the south side of the street we find a large hat manufactory
under the superintendence and ownership of Charles Arndt, jr.,
born March 21, 1807, died November 15, 1888, a stalwart, well
built young man of thirty-two years, who was afterwards (1842— '45)
honored with the office of Register of Wills of the county.
Among the hatters of the town we also find the firm of Philip
and Daniel Stein (P. & D. Stein) father and son, located on the
south side of Main street, near the east end of the square. Philip,
born 1779, died August 11, 1850, the father, was a man of sixty
years, ripe in judgment and sagacious in business. Daniel, the son,
born May 16, 181 1, died January 9, 1894 was in the prime of life,
twenty-eight years of age, enterprising and industrious, enjoying
the confidence of the people to an unusual degree and in after years
honored with the office of Justice of the Peace for five full terms.
William Fegan also carried on the business of a hatter on West
Main street, on the north side, near Cherry street.
The manufacture of silk and felt hats was a leading business of
this town sixty years ago, many hands were employed, and the
trade extended over a large territory.
As we proceed west from Arndt' s hat factory we soon reach the
old pump in front of Peter Bachman's home, Peter Graybill's
present residence, on the north side of Main street. Here many
a weary traveler slaked his thirst ; here many a thirsty vdlager drank
to satiety and bathed his fevered brow to find relief in the cooling
waters. What a benediction a well of good water is to a town t
Sky-mated, related, Earth's holiest daughter !
Not the hot kiss of wine
Is half so divine
As the sip of thy lip, inspiring Cold Water.
Among the wells then in use are the following in addition to
the one already named : Stine's on Main street, south side, near the
scpuare ; Messinger's on Main, north side, near Letitia alley ;
Johnson's Hotel, north-west corner of Main and King streets ;
Hoverter's store on Main and Chestnut streets, near the alley ;
"A VISIT TO ANNVILLE SIXTY YEARS AGO. 139
Boger's blacksmith shop on Main street, opposite the Black Horse
Hotel, and one on the northwest corner of Main and Mill streets.
There were also wells of excellent water on Beaver's tanyard, on the
lot of north-east corner of Queen street and Letitia alley, and one
on Cherry street, north of Main, not far from John Graybill's
On the south-west corner of Main and Whiteoak streets is
Henning's Hotel, kept by Jacob Henning, born December 10, 1788,
died June 12, 1857, the present site of Hotel Eagle, one of the
leading hostelries of the village. The landlord is popular and the
But hark ! do you hear that noise in the distance ? The stage
is coming ! With what notes of preparation it enters the little
village on the old turnpike road. All the town are at their doors,
and every lower pane of glass is a juvenile face in a frame to see
who has come and who is going, and all about it. How the old
coach rattles and plunges down the hill — how it rushes over the
bridge at the west end — with what professional skill the driver
draws his long whip from the top of the coach and makes its lash
ring again and again to the leader's right and left — with what a
sweep he whirls up before the hotel, and reins his prancers in, till
the coach rattles and rocks like a ship ashore ! The latest news is
here from the West. The postmaster comes across the street for
the mail. The maid stays her hand at the well to see who gets out
— a cloud of steam rises from the glittering coats of the panting
team of four. But, after a brief stay the mailbag is swung beneath
the driver's feet, the passengers are gathered, the door is flung to
with a slam — a short, sharp call of " all right " from the drowsy
handler of the lines, and crack, smack, clatter, swing, and away
rolls the coach for Lebanon and the east and with it, the day's
excitement of the village. In the crowd of bystanders during the
arrival and departure of the stage is Paul Frank, a short, chunky,
jolly fat fellow who lives a short distance north of town, and who is
the vendue-crier ; Samuel Achenbach, of thirty -two, a sedate and
industrious shoemaker ; David Seabold, fifty-two, a leading stone
mason; Daniel Bingaman, an aged carpet and linen weaver;
Christian Hoverter, sr., a retired blacksmith of wide acquaintance ;
Rudolph Boltz, a popular carpenter, and his son Joel, and Adam
Faust, a well-to-do gentleman of the town.
The Black Horse Hotel on Main street, south side, west of
Chestnut street, kept by Adam Miller, sr., born January 6, 1776,
died May 13, 1840, a man somewhat advanced in life, being
sixty-three years of age, is another hotel of large patronage. On
the north side, almost opposite, Adam Miller, jr., carries on the
shoemaker's trade very extensively, employing many hands and
turning out excellent work. George Peter, Henry Peter, Isaac Fry
and Henry Black are among his employes of that day. The black-
140 LEBANON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
smith shop near by on the same side of the street is owned and
managed by Thomas Boger, born March 6, 1810, died January 28,
1886. He is in his thirtieth year, is a skillful mechanic, manages
well and his customers are numerous.
The Millers, father and son, rank well among the most practical
enterprising business men of the town. The great grandfather was
the founder of the town — Annville — so called Millerstown for
nearly a century after its founding in 1762.
A third is Lewis Gilbert's Hotel on Main street, south side, a
short distance west of the public square. This hotel was the
stopping place of President Van Buren and party on their visit in
June, 1839. The house — a rough stone — is still standing and
used as a private residence.
The fourth public house is " The Golden Swan," now known
as the Pennsylvania House, north-west corner of Main and King
streets, kept by Jacob Johnson, who is an accommodating landlord
and in favor with the people.
Mr. Jeremiah Boehm carries on the mercantile business next
door west of the hotel. Boehm was active in politics and upon the
accession of General William Henry Harrison to the Presidency he
was appointed postmaster of the town. After President Harrison's
death Vice President Tyler succeeded him and because of some
objectionable measures adopted or advocated by the new adminis-
tration Postmaster Boehm turned the portrait of Tyler, which he
had hanging in his office, either up-side down or with the face to
the wall. This unwise act was reported to the men in power at
Washington and Postmaster Boehm was promptly removed from
But now let us cross the street from Henning's Hotel and call
upon Mr. John Schertzer, born April 1, 1799, died September 30,
1854, who with his brother, Jacob Schertzer, born December 5,
1802, died July 14, 1881, is doing business under the firm name of
John Schertzer and Brother. The house is now occupied by the
firm of Shenk & Kinports. Mr. Shertzer is one of the foremost
citizens of the town, thirty-nine years of age, medium height,
well built, dark hair and dark black eyes, a keen and yet benign
countenance, and withal great decision of character, speaks both
languages fluently and correctly, has scholarly tastes and is popular
with all the people. Is married to a lady originally from the city
of Philadelphia, has a family of interesting children, is a promi-
ment member of the Lutheran Church and a hard worker in the
Sunday school and resides comfortably in a fine brick house on the
north-west corner of Main and Whiteoak streets. The house is
now occupied by the writer, with the postorfice in the front room
on the first floor.
On the south side of Main Street, almost opposite Schertzer's
"A VISIT TO ANNVILLE SIXTY YEARS AGO " 141
store, near the square we enter the office of Dr. Henry Stine,
born October 22, 1807, died May 16, 1861, a scholarly gentleman
thirty-two years of age, a graduate of Jefferson Medical College,
class of 1828 and a popular physician. His practice is large and
growing. On public gatherings or Fourth of July celebrations he
is usually the orator of the day.
At the east end of the square there lived for many years
Stoffel Ruecke'd, a practical dyer, and a man with a keen eye to
business. Honest and straightforwarded in his dealings. He died
in 1833, but his widow lived to November 12, 1842. It is related
of him that on making settlement with one of his customers the
accounts balanced within»a half a cent in Stoffel's favor.
The half cent was not paid on the day of settlement but that
on meeting his creditor several months afterwards Stoffel did not
fail to demand payment.
Immediately opposite on the north side of the street are
found two interesting maiden ladies, Mary Marshall born April
17, 1790, died September 18, 1867, and Elizabeth Marshall born
March 3, 1798, died March 20, 1877. These ladies are popularly
known as Polly and Betsy Marshall respectively. Both in full ma-
turity of life, forty-nine and forty-two, they are women of in-
fluence, of positive convictions, well informed in all matters of
general interest and hold the esteem of all who know them.
" Two women faster wedded in one love
Then pairs of wedlock. — "
Perhaps there is no species of friendship more sure to elude
publicity than that subsisting between sisters. It plays its undra-
matic part in domestic scenes, avoiding rather than asking the
notice of the world.
These women dwelt together for over seventy-five years in en-
tire and fervent affection, and now sleep side by side in their
grave on Evergreen cemetery.
Passing along the square on the east side we reach the corner
of Lancaster street, the home of Mr. John Barth born February
11, 1798, died June 26, 1879, a well-built gentleman of forty. one
years who is employed as cloth and carpet weaver. The house in
which he lives is a fine two-story building erected in 1799. Al-
though a hundred years old it is still in fair condition and has
undergone less changes than any building for its age in town.
On the same side of the street a few doors above Lancaster
you will find Mr. John F. Miller's store. He deals in general
Just across the street on the northwest corner of Main and
Lancas.er Streets we are greeted by another of Annville's most suc-
cessful and popular citizens and merchants, Mr. John Killinger
142 LEBANON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
born February 22, 1797, died September 17, 1S60, a man in the
prime of life, forty-two years of age, tall in stature, well built,
with a keen eye and of more than ordinary enterprise and intel-
During the sessions of 1837-38 of the State legislature Mr.
John Killinger served as member of the lower house, and in
1839-40 he occupied a seat in the State Senate with great credit to
himself and the entire satisfaction of his constituency. His wife,
Fannie, is a sister of Mr. John Schertzer and the mother .)f an in-
terestsng family of children, among whom we find John W.
Killinger, born September 18, 1825, died June 30, 1896, after-
wards a member of Congress, a youth at fourteen preparing to
enter Marshall College, at Mercersburg, at the opening of the fall
A few doors farther west on the northeast corner of Main
street and Letitia alley we find Dr. John G. Marshall's comfort-
able home and office, and as we enter we are courteously received
by the genial doctor and tendered a seat.
Dr. Marshall born February 10, 1793, died December 13,
1846, is forty-six years of age, a graduate of the medical depart-
ment of the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1819, the senior
in years and practice of his medical associates of the town, and by
instinct and training an eminently successful member of the heal-
ing art. To set a broken limb or to amputate a malignant or
crushed member of the body is his forte and delight. His prac-
tice is extensive in town and country. He is a son of David Mar-
shall, born January 21, 1749, died September 4, 1832, who was a
successful doctor here for many years.
Across the alley on the same side of the street William Mel-
linger has a tinsmith shop.
The wheelwright trade is carrid on extensively by John
Stroh on the southwest corner of Main and Chestnut streets, and
by Henry Fisher, aged forty-six years, on West Main street, near
Joseph Andrews is the clock and watch maker and repairer, of
the town. It is said that Andrews spent many years in the effort
to make a clock that would run six months without re winding but
that he never succeeded.
The Raiguel Mill, owned and managed by Abraham Raiguel,
jr., born January 25, 1796, died August 9, 1849, south
of town, and the Herr Mill, owned by Abraham Herr, born
August 12, 1794, died October 25, 1857, at the west end of town,
supply the village and vicinity with flour and (cc^\, as the mana-
gers of these mills do at the present day to a large extent.
The fine stone bridge, 180 feet in length, with three arches,
across the Quittapahilla creek near Raiguel's Mill, was built during
"A VISIT TO ANNVILLE SIXTY YEARS AGO. 143
the year 1S39 by the commissioners of the county under the
supervision of Messrs. John D. Biever and Pb.il.ip Imboden.
Daniel Stroh, born Augnst 27, 1771, died January 9, 1863,
lives on the northeast corner of Main and Lancaster, and follows
wood turning and chair making.
On the north-west corner of King and Queen streets in a
two-story frame house lives Mr. Leonard Nye, born March
1797, died June 13, 1876. He is a carpenter by trade and the
leading undertaker of the town.
His son, William C. Nye, born February 15, 1822, assists
him in his work.
Near the west end of the village my visitor met one of its
younger citizens who kindly invited him to be seated by saying in
the popular dialect of the day; "Nemm dir ein sitz und mach
dich bequem," and then in his own peculiar way volunteered the
"There are several quite old people in our town. Why not
go to see them? Among them you will find Mrs. Anna Katrina
Reddich,born May 9, 1760, died December 16,1855, who is in her
eightieth year. Mrs. Juliana Ulrich,born November 10,1747, died
April 15, 1842, who is nearly ninety-two years old, and Mr. John
Shertzer, sr., born July 23, 1766, died October 1, 1847, wno i s
seventy- three years old. We buried one of the oldest women of
the town last winter, Mrs. Dorothy Ulrich, born May 7, 1749,
died February 16, 1839, widow of Martin Ulrich, who was in her
ninetieth year. Her husband died fourteen years ago.
"Only a few days ago we buried Mr. Abraham Shenk, born
June 2, 1790, died July 31, 1839, one of our farmers near town.
Hs leaves a family of six children, the youngest is a boy, David
O., of five years. Mr. Shenk was a very industrious, hardworking
farmer and his early death is greatly lamented." David O. Shenk
is now the successful merchant of our town and the senior mem-
ber of the firm of Shenk and Kinports.
"Did you meet Mr. Joseph Smith, born September 1,1795, died
Sept. 16, 1862, the tinker, near the corner of Main and King
streets today? He is a man of middle life and full of business
enterprise. His son, John N. Smith, who is about eighteen,
works at the cooper trade.
"George Rigler, born March 29, 1817, died March 26, 1889,
is a young man of twenty-two in the very prime of life and was
married about a year ago. He is in the butchering business and
with the energy and foresight he possesses, is sure to succeed.
"Mr. John Ward, born April 14, i79i,died April 24,1853, on
the north. east corner of Main and Cherry streets, is one of our
successful tailors. John Uhler, born February 8, 1804, died Sep-
tember 20, 1871, is another. Martin Funk, just of age, promises
144 LEBANON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
to become a successful shoemaker, and John Troxel, born January
8, 1800, died November 1, 1S78, is our cabinet maker.
"Do you hear that call? That is Mr. CasselFs parrot over
there, just two doors below where you see those boys play marble.
Playing marble and town ball are popular games in our town.
"Those old gentlemen you see sitting over there and talking
are Christian Cassel, born 1764, died 1852, and several of his
friends. They spend much of their time that way.
"Christian Hoverter, jr., born October 15, 1802, died Feb-
ruary 9, 1880, keeps store on the north-east corner of Main and
Chestnut streets and is doing a thriving business. The young
man employed by him is John H. Kinports, born January 21,
1821, died March 8, 1893. He was formerly with Mr. James
Bingham in the same place. He is only eighteen years old but
makes an excellent clerk.'' Judge Kinports was afterwards clerk
of the Orphans' Court, (1851-1854) and associate judge, (1866-
1876) of the county for ten years.
"Peter Black, born December 15, 1783. died August 9, 1862,
is our constable. He is a very industrious and efficient officer.
"He is the father of David Black, born February 8, 181 2, died
December 11,1871, one of our stone masons." These are the parent
and grand parent of Mr. John H. Black, who is now extensively
engaged in the marble and granite stoue business.
"On the north-west corner of Main and Chestnut streets,
Thomas McGinley, the chairmaker, has his shop. Walter Clarke
also makes chairs. lie lives a little farther west on the other side
of the street.
"Fred Gelbach is our saddler, Peter Berry, one of our gun-
smiths, Martin Funk, one of our leading shoemakers, and George
Hix our broom and basket manufacturer
"There are but few shade trees on theMain street of our town.
"You will find a large willow tree near Mr. Stein's hat factory
and several tall poplar trees in front of Mr. Stroh's residence.
"The Harrisburg and Reading Turnpike Company keeps it
road bed in excellent condition.
"Well, as to the morals of our people I can report favorably.
"There are no special evils prevalent in our midst, and our
justice of the peace Mr. Adam Miller, jr., whom you see crossing
the street over there, says there are no cases unadjusted on his
"Christian Lessley, born November 15, 18 18, who has his
blacksmith shop next door to the south-west corner of Main and
Cherry streets, was married to Mary Mase, born November 9,
1820, last fall. He learned his trade with Mr. Thomas Hoger and
is now kept busy every day in his own shop."
These two aged people still live happy and contented a few
"A VISIT TO ANNVILLE SIXTY YEARS AGO." 145
doors west of their former home, and Mr. Lessley is at this writ-
ing the oldest citizen of our town.
"Though old he still retains his manly sense,
And still remembers that he once was young,
No chronic tortures rack his aged limb,
For luxury and sloth have nourished none for him."
To Mr. and Mrs. Lessley, John A. Bodenhorn, Peter Gray-
bill, John N. Smith, Andrew Kreider, William C. Nye and Joel
Boltz, the writer is under many obligations for information fur-
The system of militia carried on in the state at this time was
active and successful in Lebanon county, and Annville had an
organized volunteer infantry company called the "Annville
Guards." The militia men were paraded and trained in May of
each year; first in companies on the first Monday of the month
and afterwards in battalions. "Battalion Day" was set apart as a
holiday, and these military services and parades beyond their
utility, provided great amusement for the people.
The following is almost the complete muster roll of the com-
Cyrus Cormany, Captain.
John D. Biever, First Lieutenant.
John Alwein, Seeond Lieutenant.
William Aston Peter Howard
Henry Ault Martin Kochenderfer
William Ault Richard Lemmer
John Benson Christian Lessley
Conrad Berry Henry Marquart
William Beaver Adam Miller, jr.
John F. Beaver Jacob Miller
Robert Bingham John F. Miller
David Black George Miller
Henry Black Thomas Miller
Henry Blauch Christopher Miller
Joel Boltz George Peter
Henry Cormany William Sanders
John Cormany Daniel Seabold
John Daniel William Seabold
Hamilton Dixon Christian Shenk
Henry Ellenberger George Sheffy
James Forney Curtis Smith
John Forney John N. Smith
Peter Forney John Spotts
John Frantz David Spotts
Israel Gruber Miller Stambaugh
Smith Glenn George Stein
146 LEBANON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
Jno. A. Heilman John Stroh
Ephraim Heilman William Troxel
Jacob Henning Adam Thomas
Peter F. Houser
The following is a copy of an honorable discharge granted all
those who faithfully served the term of seven years :
" We, Walter Clarke, formerly captain, duly commissioned,
and Cyrus Cormany, captain at the present time, duly commis-
sioned, and commanding the organized Volunteer Infantry Com-
pany, called the "Annville Guards," now attached to the Inde-
pendent Battalion of Lebanon County, composed of the Lebanon
County Cavalry, the Annville Guards, and the Independent
Guards, Pennsylvania Militia, Do Hereby Certify, by virtue of
the tenth section of the Militia Law of the 24th day of March,
A. D., 1818, That Israel Gruber, corporal, enrolled, uniformed,
and equipped himself, and faithfully served as a member of said
compaay, for the space of seven successive years, commencing on
the 16th of August, 1834, And is therefore exempted from Militia
Duty, except in time of an invasion, insurrection, or actual war,
and is entitled to be honorably discharged.
Witness our hands at Annville, the 16th day of August, A.
Cyrus Cormany, Captain,
Tohn D. Biever. First Lieutenant.
John Alwein, Second Lieutenant.
Major, Frederick Embich."
Joel Boltz aud Ephraim Heilman, both still living also hold
papers of like character.
Israel Gruber, born August 30, 1813, died December 21,1897,
stone mason and brick layer, was the father of Captain David A.
Gruber born December 17, 1 841, who distinguished himself for
bravery in the late Civil War.
On the north-west corner of King street and Lebanon alley
stood the Engine House in which was kept a small hand-engine,
this with the aid of the "bucket brigade" did noble service
for many years.
Sixty years ago everybody burned wood. If there was any
coal, charcoal excepted, above ground but few knew it or used it.
Fireplaces were mostly used for heating as well as for cooking
purposes. To " keep fire " was one of the things necessary in
every household. A chunk of partly-burned hickory wood was the
best for this use. It was carefully covered over with ashes, and if
the wood was all right, and the covering properly done, we were
pretty sure to have fire in the morning.
"A VISIT TO ANNVILLE SIXTY YEARS AGO. 1 47
But occasionally it was found that there was not a coal or
even a spark left. Then steel and flint and punk and tow had to
be resorted to. When they were wanting the old flint-lock was
brought out. The pan was filled with powder and the trigger
pulled. Tow was held near enought to be caught by the flash of
the powder, and we were again favored with fire. When all these
failed, there was nothing left but to go to a neighbor's house and
borrow. In pleasant weather this was not much of a task, but to
go on a cold January morning for a shovel of fire was a duty no
one especially coveted.
Matches such as we use today were not known sixty years ago,
and keeping fire was as much of a task in summer as in winter.
Fat lamps of various devices, tallow dips and sperm candles
served to furnish the people with light at night, and several men
of the town manufactured these lamps in large quantities for the
A certain writer says : "As we read history we must become
Greek, Roman, Turk, priest, king, martyr and executioner; we
must fasten these images to some reality in our secret experience,
or we shall learn nothing rightly. " In this instance I have tried
to become an Annvillite of sixty year ago. Standing face to face
with these p:ople I have tried to learn their mode of life and their
peculiar surroundings and if possible, picture them in their true
light. If I have succeeded in a measure only I shall be satisfied.
Since then many advances have been made in all departments of
work and walks of life, but most of them grew out of the wants of
the people and thus others will come in due time, and for the same
N. MANCHESTER, INDIANA 46962