« - VJ
<> "-^s- G^ \D 'o.»- A <, -?^?T^ .G^ ^o
0^ .-^JJ-' o-
For Ready Reference
A Chronological Record
That have occurred in
From the Organization of the
Township of Merrimac in 1638
EMILY B. SMITH
AMES BURY :
.1. E. BKIERLY, PRINTKK
THE tlBRARY OF
Two CoHEa Received
OCT. 19 1901
CLASS Q. XXa. No.
Copyright, 1901, by Emily B. Smith.
(^/j^llE object of this lUtle honk is to give a record of the principal
V-^ ^ events that have occurred in Amesbury from the organization
of SaUsbur>j,—of which Amesburij was once a part,— to the present time;
referenct- being made tn Salisbury and Merrimac only as they are or have
been cnnnectfd ivith Amesbury.
The writer has tried to so arrange and condense the material that
the book may be used easily for reference, and from its price be accessible
Town and church records have been carefully read in connection with
Mr. Merrill's History until 1880, after which time, files of newspapers
and records of various kinds have been used.
The thanks of the writer are given to the many who have assisted her.
Chronological Record of the Principal Events
that have Occurred in Amesbury.
1638 — Leave is granted by the General Court to Simon
Bradstreet and others to form a plantation at
" Merrimac," on the north side of the Merrimac
river, to include what is now South Hampton,
part of Kingston, Plaistow, Newton, Seabrook
and Hampstead, N. H., as well as Amesbury,
Salisbury and Merrimac.
1639 — Location chosen for new town about the Salisbury
Green. Named Colchester by General Court.
1640 — First meeting-house built at the Green about this
time. Name of town changed to Salisbury by
General Court. Large number of lots granted
west of the Powow river. Line run towards Pen-
tucket six miles.
1641 — Two roads ordered laid out west of Powow river.
One starting at Floating Bridge at Weir Point up
Gun House Lane (now Macy street), four rods
wide, and running through Pond Hills to Haver-
hill ; the other starting at the Merrimac river,
running over the eastern part of Ferry Hill (i. e.,
across Bailey's and Sandy Hill), "through Sand
hollow over Whittier's Hill to New Hampshire
6 Chrofiological Record of Events
1642 — Ordered at town meeting that " Thirty families
remove to ye west side of ye Powowas river "
before the first of the third month in 16415, such
as "the seven men shall approve of," and "that
this order shall stand unrepealed forever except by
the consent of every freeman in town."
1643 — Norfolk County established, including Salisbury,
Hampton, Haverhill, Exeter, Dover and Straw-
berry Bank (Portsmouth), continuing till 1679.
1645 — "Ordered that John Sanders, John Stevens and
Thomas Macy shall appoint where the highways
shall be beyond ye Powowas river from ye mill to ye
houses where they shall think most convenient and
this to be done between this and September next."
1652 — Anthony Colby and Richard Currier given power
" to lay out a road from ye mill bridge to ye plain
that goeth to ye Lyons mouth."
1653 — General Court forbids preaching unless licensed by
four churches; denounced by Major Pike; peti-
tioners in his favor bound over for trial.
1654 — Articles of agreement between the inhabitants of the
old town of Salisbury and the " inhabitants of that
which is commonly the new town." Anthony
Colby buys house of Thomas Macy.
1655 — Organization of Salisbury New Town; held to Salis-
bury for support of minister and common defense ;
taxed for roads and improvements also ; one or more
of the new townsmen on the old prudential board, —
Thomas Macy, first town clerk. Names of found-
ers : Anthony Colby, John Hoyt, Phillip Challis,
George Martin, Jarrot Haddon, Richard Currier,
John Bayly, William Huntington, Valentine Row-
ell, Thomas Barnard, Edward Cottle, John Weed,
Orlando Bagly, Henry Blasdell, Thomas Macy,
William Sargent, William Barnes, John Colby.
"Voted that the number of inhabitants that shall
in Amesb7iry^ Massachusetts. 7
be commoners shall not exceed twenty six, without
the consent of every inhabitant of ye plantation."
1656 — Sawmill on the west side of the Powow river built
by Thomas Macy and Richard Currier at falls.
1657 — Bounds between " Hafriell " and Salisbury laid out
by selectmen of both towns.
1658 — Trouble with General Court about preaching of
Joseph Peaslee and between two settlements about
ministry. Inhabitants to w^orship in old town or
be fined 5s.
1659 — Thomas Macy flees or seeks refuge in Nantucket for
harboring Qiiakers, " selling his house at the Mills."
[John Mayhew in July sold the island of Nantucket
to Thomas Macy, Tristram Coffin, Christopher
Hussey and others for thirty pounds, also " two
bever hats, one for myself and one for my wife."]
1663 — Town buys one acre of land of Edman Elleat for
a burying place (now Union Cemetery). Gol-
gotha the burying ground prior to this date.
1665 — Meeting-house built " upon ye land bought of Edman
Elleat for a burying place; thirty foot long, five
and twenty foot wide, and sixteen foot stood or
thereabouts." Robert Pike invited to be minister,
1666 — Mr. Benjamin Woodbridge obtained for the ministry,
and a new township granted to the inhabitants of
New Salisbury by the General Court. Thirty-six
freemen (voters and commoners) at incoi-poration.
1667 — The town named Amesbury at town meeting. Par-
sonage lot laid out for the " yous of the ministry "
at corner of Martin road.
1668 — Name of town confirmed by General Court. Ames-
bury ferry established.
8 Chronological Record of Ei^ents
1669— Mr. Hubbard " of Kettre " settled as minister. Geo.
Carr of Carr's island given charge of ferries.
1672 — ^Ii- Thomas Wells settled as minister.
1673 —Parson Wells builds his house on the land once
granted by Salisbury to Sir Henry Vane (now
residence of Dr. Blake on Wells avenue).
1675 — Business, — farming, fishing, making staves, and
building small vessels.
1676 — Indians troublesome. Watch and garrison houses
built. Men, women and children murdered.
1678 — First public house at corner of " Mill " and Haver-
hill road, kept by Samuel Colby.
1682 — Mr. George Hewes presents a bell to the Salisbury
church and is made a present of Deer Island by
vote of town of Salisbury.
1686 — Records of births, marriages and deaths begun. Mr.
VV^ells chosen register.
1687-1690 — Indian wars. Amesbury petitions General
Court to be made a frontier town.
1692 — Accusation, trial and conviction of widow Susannah
Martin as a witch at Salem.
1693 — Tithing-men first chosen ; last one chosen in 1833.
1694 — Mr. Wells chosen schoolmaster of Grammar school,
"to teach all except such little ones as cannot say
their a, b, c's," at a salary of £20.
1695 — Many murders by Indians. Citizens fined for non-
attendance at town meeting, 2s.
1696 — Indians still troublesome, attack Haverhill. Hannah
Dustin's heroism. John Hoyt killed.
1697 — Mr. Wells asks liberty to build a " pue outside of the
meeting-house opening into the congregation, not
damnifying ye meeting house."
in Atnesbnry^ Massachusetts. 9
1699 — £5 voted to build " galiers " in the meeting-house,
"on ye fore side and at each end." The ketch
" Peter," the first vessel built on the Powow.
1700 — Voted to have a lecture once a month for seven
1701 — Earliest record of Society of Friends in the town.
1702 — Town establishes a free school and authorizes select-
men to hire a master in accordance with State law at
1703 — Vessel, " Friend's Adventure," built on Powow.
1704 — Tanning carried on at Pleasant Valley and Pond
Hills. Indians troublesome. Vessel, "Success,"
built. Samuel Colby allowed 3os. for ringing the
bell and sweeping the meeting-house.
1705 — Minister ordered to preach every third Sunday at
"Jamaco " (West Amesbury), for the safety of old
people and children coming to meeting. Schools
kept in different parts of town alternately for safety
to children on the roads. Ox-carts principal means
of conveyance. Thomas Barnard gives a lot of
land for first Friends' meeting-house on Friend
street (near No. S mill).
1706 — Selectmen ordered to make a tax to pay the school-
1707 — Voted that "ye selectmen should have four or five
school dames to teach children to read," and " that
the town should allow' £5 to two men that ye
selectmen should hire to teach young persons to
write and sipher two months this year insuing."
1708 — First fulling mill established below " mill bridge on
Powow river," by Benjamin Eastman.
lo CJironological Record of Events
1710 — lion works built on Amesbury side of Powow river,
on " little island," by Col. John March, John Bar-
nard, Joseph Brown and Jarvis Ring, not liable to
taxation. £30 appropriated for school purposes.
Several shipyards. Friends' monthly meeting held
alternately at Amesbury and Hampton (for sixty
1712 — Capt. John Wadey of Salisbury has leave to build a
dam at the pond's mouth, " to preserve water in a
dry time for grinding."
1713 — Bounty of 20s. voted for each wolf's head.
1714 — Amesbury extended through Great island in Country
pond. Quakers freed from minister's rate.
1715 — Meeting-house raised on the " Parsonage lot " on the
Martin road ; " forty five feet in length and thirty
five feet in width, and twenty foot stud"; £150
raised to build it ; without porch or spire.
1716 — Orlando Bagly, town clerk and schoolmaster, gives
town land for school house at Pond Hills, and town
votes to build one " twenty foot square and seven
foot stud." First record of Episcopalians in town.
1717 — New meeting-house on Parsonage lot completed.
1719 — Ferry street laid out from Bartlett's Corner to Powow
1720 — Gideon Lowell gives the town a piece of land at the
mouth of Powow river for a landing place. Rich-
ard Currier allowed the privilege of building a
vessel or vessels on this landing.
1721 — Hi"it i"oad defined. Bills of credit loaned to town
1722 — Town presented to General Court for not having a
schoolmaster. Meeting-house at Jamaco (West
Amesbury) built on the plain. Indians raid Jama-
co and Pond Hills. Several garrison houses in
in Amesbury^ Massachusetts. il
1724 — Jiimaco meeting-house completed. No potatoes
planted to this date.
1725 — The two parishes divided by the General Court.
1726 — Rev. Pain \AMngate begins pastorate of fifty-eight
years at West Amesbury. One hundred and
twenty-three male voters in West Parish.
1727 — At the annual meeting, voted that "no person shall
cut down or otherwise destroy any trees standing
in ye country road or on any town way within two
miles of Merrimac river, on a forfeiture of forty
shillings per tree so cut or destroyed." Great
earthquake. Mary (Parker), wife of Parson Wells,
1728 — Province Treasurer issues £60,000 to be loaned to
towns in proportion to valuation. Amesbury
receives £473 5s. Money loaned by trustees, John
Challis, Wm. Moulton, John Sargent, in sums not
less than two or more than £10, interest 6 p. c.
Rev. Edmund March ordained colleague to Mr.
1'729 — Nov. 21, Josiah Bartlett, signer of the Declaration of
Independence, born at the Ferry.
1730 — Town pays its share, £30, to agents in England to
prevent charter of Province being taken away. "A
pair of stocks built."
1731 — Jonathan Barnard given right to build a bridge 4 rods
below bridge " now across Powow river." West
Parish buys 210 rods of land for a training field
" to lay common forever " (near present cemetery),
and also buys land for a burying place near it.
1733 — Horses licensed from 1694 to this time.
1734 — General Court passes law against taking fish in the
Merrimac by using traps of any kind. Rev.
Thomas Wells dies, aged 87 years.
I 3 Chronological Record of Events
1735 — List of twelve Qiiakers exempt from taxation in East
Parish for the support of the Estabhshed Church.
1737 — -£5 bounty for wolves' heads. Schoolmaster paid
£15 los. by " Trustees of First Bank." General
Court of Massachusetts and New Hampshire As-
sembly adjourn to visit Hampton Falls to adjust
State boundary. Massachusetts' General Court
then adjourns to Salisbury. As a result, large ter-
ritory lost to Massachusetts, in which is included
South Hampton, and "Little Salisbury" created.
1739 — Law to protect deer.
1740 — Pond ridge tunneled, allowing an outlet into Powow
river, by " Mr. Ring and Mr. Nutter."
1741 — Orlando and Jonathan Bagley build a wharf next to
1742 — Almshouse hired. (Paupers heretofore "boarded
1743 — Rev. Elisha Odlin ordained as minister at First
Church. John Currier is Captain of the first foot
1745 — First Episcopal Church built about this time, with
assistance from Newbury Church ; location un-
known, probably in Union Cemetery.
1746 — Law of 1727, relating to trees, made the first by-law
with slight alteration. Town's stock of ammuni-
tion divided and well secured. Town debt, £200.
1747 — Rev. Matthias Plant of Newbury paid £15 lis. from
the parish rate on account of " Onnch men," 11
in number. Wm. VVhittier sets up brickyard on
Buttonwood road, near Merrimac river. Road
over Bailey's hill exchanged for a town landing on
Powow river. Amesbury men at Cape Breton.
1750 — Joseph Bartlctt granted land near Powow river for a
lime kiln, the lime made from clam shells.
in Amcsluiry^ Massachusetts. 13
1751 — Change of calendar by Parliament, year to begin on
January first instead of March first, as heretofore.
Theodore Hoyt and Thomas Colby granted ship-
yards. Moses Sargent made Captain of 2nd com-
pany at west end. " Selectmen to have 4 pounds
lawful money for their services ye present year and
1752 — Rev. Elisha Odlin died. First bridge probably built
over the Powow at Ferry in 1752 or 1753.
1754 — Rev. Anthony Wibird dismissed from East Parish.
1755 — £100 raised for public expenses. Soldiers called
for by French and Indian war; sent to Kennebec
and Crown Point.
1756 — Men impressed by Captain VVorthen for Lake
George. Arcadians deported, and several quar-
tered in Amesbury as " town's poor."
1757 — East Parish buvs ij^ acres of land at Sandy Hill
for a meeting-house for £13 6s. Sd. Capt. ,
Worthen makes large draft of men for war.
1758 — Men furnished for Cape Breton and Lord Loudon's
1759 — £60 for town expenses. £40 for roads. Soldiers
and laborers from this town at Lake George.
Schoolhouse built for West Parish.
1760 — First list of jurors made by Selectmen. Small pox.
Two pest houses established.
1761 — Meeting-house at parsonage lot taken down antl re-
built at Sandy Hill, enlarged and with a porch
1762 — Theodore Hoyt allotted a shipyard on the Powow.
Second Episcopal church, King George HL chapel,
built at Pond Hills.
1766 — A committee chosen to recover to the town Ames-
14 Chronological Record of Eve7zts
1767 — French people sent bjick to Canada. Ilats first
manufactured by Moses Chase at tlie Ferry near
Powow river. Ferry most populous and thriving
portion of tow^n. Tax on tea, paper, glass, etc. ,
imposed by Parliament.
1768 — Schoolhouse built at Ferry where brick schoolhouse
was afterwards built.
1770 — Colonial tax on Amesbury, £93 4s. 3d.
1771 — Valuation of West Parish, £2201 los. ; 217 acres
tillage land. Largest estate, £47; 51 horses
owned, 117 oxen, 274 cows, 4 negroes. William
Ballard, Captain of Ferry Military Companv.
1773 — V^iolent tornado, two hunch'ed buildings damaged.
1774 — Isaac Merrill, Esq., chosen as representative to the
Provincial Congress from Amesbury. Taxes not
paid into the royal treasury.
1775 — Voted to raise fifty able bodied men including officers,
for " minnit men" and to enlist them for one year
if not disbanded before. April 17, voted to pay
money for taxes raised in '73 and '74 to Provincial
Treasurer. "Each minnit man to have a bounty
of two dollars paid them at their first marching
off," provided they are called for by the Congress.
(April 19, Battle of Lexington.) April 24, voted
to send a man at town's cost to Cambridge to the
minute men, "to see whether they want their
bounty or any part of it." May 5, Capt. Caleb
Pillsbury chosen representative to Provincial Con-
gress. June 6, pier sunk at mouth of Merrimac
b}- Newburyport and Amesbury. Capt. Currier's
company of 54 men enlisted after the battle of
Lexington to the following December, were at the
battle of Bunker Hill. Guns of battle heard in
Amesbury. Capt. William Ballard's company
from the Ferry also at Cambridge. Amesbury
furnished its share called for, 69 coats for the
in Amesbtiry^ Massacliiisctts. i ^
1776 — Committee of safety and correspondence chosen.
July first it was voted "To abide by and defend the
members of the Continental Congress with lives and
fortunes if they think it expedient to declare the
colonies Independent of Great Britain." Ninety-
four men raised for the armv this vear. Whole
number of inhabitants 1795. Josiah Bartlett is
signer of Declaration of Independence. Regi-
ment organized from Nevvburyport, Amesbury
1777 — Large number of men raised for army. Great de-
preciation of money. (Surrender of Burgoyne).
First frigate of the Continental Congress, "The
Alliance," built by William and John Hackett at
Salisbury Point. " At Samuel Adams shipyard at
Webster's Point," " by order of Thomas Cushing
of Boston." Blacksmith work by Ezra Merrill,
David Blaisdell and Nathaniel Ring.
1778 — Town meeting called at the "Church meeting-house"
at Pond Hills. Capt. Pillsbury chosen representa-
tive to Provincial Congress. Many soldiers are
1779 — John Barnard delegate to Constitutional convention.
£14320 (in depreciated money) raised for town
expenses. More men furnished to army.
1780 — Vote on new form of government for States, 3r
yeas, 19 nays. Vote on Art. III., Bill of Rights,
" Every denomination of Christians demeaning
themselves peaceablv and as good subjects of
the Commonwealth protection under the law;"
rejected by town, 14 nays, 13 yeas. 29700 lbs. of
beef furnished army this year. Heavy taxes.
Severe winter. Great discouragement. May 19,
" Dark day." Baptist Church of Salisbury and
Amesbury organized as branch of Brentwood
(N. H.) Church, Elder Moses Chase, first pastor.
I C) Chi'ofiological Record of Events
1781 — First town report ordered. Twenty-seven men
drafted. Town gives notes payable in " hard
money " at some future time. (Cornwallis surren-
dered.) Ezra Worthen born in Amesbury.
1782 — Another call for soldiers supplied partly from " the
eastward." East End estates, £438^9. West End
estates, £42470 East End polls, 231^. West
End polls, 1633^. More money asked for by gov-
ernment. Town takes possession of Amesbury
1783 — Over 800 men enlisted in Revolutionary army from
Amesbury and Salisbury. More than $65,000
hired by town to pav bounties. Voted " not to
raise any money " for town expenses this year.
17^84 — '' 0\(\ Still" (Presbyterian) meeting-house, called also
'•'Deacon Tewkesbur3''s wilful meeting-house," built
near Mr. E. A. Childs' present residence; Rev.
Mr. Hibbert, pastor. (Now Mr. Edwaid Hunting-
ton's barn at his home at Bartlett's Corner.) Rev.
Benjamin Bell ordained pastor at Sandy Hill.
Close of Rev. Pain Wingate's ministry at West End:,
1785 — Two companies of Militia formed. Mills, Capt.
Nathaniel White. Ferry, Capt. John Barnard.
Mr. Bell's parsonage built, (afterwards Capt. Val-
entine Bagley's tavern; now Mr. Daniel Hunting-
ton's homestead.) Rocky Hill meeting-house
built by Palmer & Spollbrd.
1786— Town refuses to incorporate Presbyterian society of
Mr. Hibbert. Sixteen men raised by town for
Shay's rebellion. £200 voted for town expenses.
1787 — River road built. £200 raised for town charges.
" Voted that the selectmen look uj) tlic town guns "
lent during war time.
1788— New valuation ordered. Selectmen to be paitl for at
2s. 6(1. per day. First President of the United
in Amesbii/'Vi Massachusetts. 17
States voted for. Electors receive twenty-two
votes each. Oil mills established and linseed oil
made. Great field of sunflowers near Highland
street used for oil. Much flax raised.
\^%Q — President Washington visits Amesbury, Oct. 31 ;
crosses the Merrimac at Amesbury Ferry, then
over Powow river bridge, through Point to Rocky
Hill, where Amesbury company, under Capt. Jon-
athan Morrill, and Salisbury company, under Capt.
Merrill, go through dress parade. Rev. Francis
Welch ordained minister at West End. About this
time post office established at Salisburypoint ; Capt.
Edward Wadleigh, postmaster. Mail stage brought
mail to " Clark" Maxfield's store for Amesbury.
1791 — A committee of eight chosen to " inspect and regu-
late the schools in the town of Amesbury the
present year." Plan for a bridge over the Merri-
mac at Deer Island, opposed by the town as a
menace to navigation and ferries.
1792 — Essex Merrimac bridge built by Timothy Palmer,
consisting of two wooden arched bridges resting on
Deer Island in middle of river. Opened to travel
Nov. 26. Company incorporated Feb. 24, with
200 shares of stock ; cost $36,000. Presidential
election, 14 votes cast, all for George Washington.
Capt. Valentine Bagley cast away in Arabia.
Cemetery at "Corner" deeded by John Barnard to
1793_Small pox hospital established.
1794— Rev. Ebenezer Cleveland made pastor of Sandy Hill
meeting-house. (Deed given in 1757, recorded in
1794.) Amesbury and Salisbury Artillery Com-
pany organized at Gun House lane. (Now Macy
street.) Two brass field pieces kept here. Powow
river bridge rebuilt.
iS Chronological Record of Events
1795 — Revised constitution of Massachusetts rejected by
1796 —Brick schoolhouse built at Ferry. Master Burrows
first teacher. Town presented memorial to Con-
gress concerning fisheries. School money appor-
tioned to districts accordmg to taxes. Old "Union"
fire engine purchased by citizens.
1798 — Severe winter. River above bridge frozen over
until March 27th.
1799 — I" Webster's yard at Point the "Warren" is built for
United States; 18 guns.
1 9th Century.
1800 — Iio" works established at the Mills, near where John
March in 1710 had established, "upon ye falls at
ye Powow river," the works at which in 1777 the
anchor for the " Alliance" had been forged. Car-
riage business started in W^est Amesbury by Michael
Emery and William Little.
1801 — Sandy Hill meeting-house repaired. Brick school-
house on Friend street built. (Now a dwelling-
1802 — Stephen Hull ordained pastor at Sandy Hill ; repairs
finished; " cubaloe " added.
1803 — Ship building and fisheries important. Ferry school
district has largest number of scholars and pays
largest tax. Second Friends' meeting-house built
on site of present Free Baptist church.
1804 — Population over 1700. Schoolhouse built at Pleas-
ant Valley. Academy Company of Amesbury
and Salisbury organized with two hundred shares
at $10 each. Carding machines set up in Ames-
bury by Gookin and Shores. Paul Moody and
William Worthen in tlie business later.
in Anicsbury^ Massac/msct/s. 19
1805 — Academy built where High school now stands;
Mr. Abner Emerson the first teacher. Great fire —
nail factory, grist mill and other property burned.
1808 — Embargo declared by President Jeflbrson. Petition
against embargo read in town meeting and voted
that " The Selectmen forward the same to the
President." Ship building stopped. Old bell on
brick schoolhouse, now engine-house on School
street, given to the town by Capt. James Rowell.
Bell brought from West Indies. Inscription on the
bell, " Anno 17S9," beneath an ornamented crucifix.
1810 — No appropriation for schools. Forty-two vessels
built this year. Wadleighs, Rowells, Morrills and
Curriers have shipyards on the Powow. Popula-
tion 1890. Nail Company buy land at outlet of
Pond (Kimball's) and control flowage. Present
Finlay Chain Suspension Bridge between Deer
Island and Newburyport built by Mr. Templeman.
King George III. chapel blowm down.
1811 — Great fire at Newburyport. Voted that subscription
papers be circulated by "the committee man" of
each district in town.
1812 — First engine men appointed by the Selectmen. Se-
lectmen ordered to provide a dinner at town's cost
for the militia on general muster day. War de-
clared with Great Britain. Militia drilled. Five
companies organized at Ferry. Mills engine com-
pany organized. First Baptist society incorporat-
ed. " Amesbiu'y Wool and Cotton Company" or-
ganized for manufacture of satinet, and brick mill
(No. 6) built on Mill street, by Ezra VVorthen,
Paul Moody, Thomas Boardman and Samuel
Wigglesworth. Privateer " Decatur " built at Mills
landing by Jonathan Morrill ; others built at the
20 CJironological Record of Events
1813— Second cloth mill built (No. 5) by " Ensign Morrill
and his two sons." Rev. Stephen Hull dismissed
from Sandy Hill church.
1814 — Epidemic of "spotted fever."
1816 — Rev. Benjamin Savi^yer installed pastor of Rocky
Hill church. Frost every month in the year.
Amesbury State tax $426; County tax $339; town
1817 — President Monroe visits Amesbury and the different
mills. Stops at Wadleigh tavern; goes through
1820— Mill No. 3 built. Post office established at Mills;
Captain Jonathan Morrill, first postmaster.
1821 — First Baptist church built, " east side Back river."
1822 — Warren Lodge of Masons chartered; Valentine
Bagley, treasurer. Amesbury Flannel Manufactur-
ing Co. incorporated ; capital $200,000 ; Joshua
Aubin, agent. Manufactures: Amesbury Nail
Co., Amesbury Woolen and Cotton Manufiictur-
ing Co., Salisbury Woolen Manufacturing Co.,
and Amesbury Flannel Manufacturing Co.
1823 — American House (brick) built by Mr. John Oilman.
1824 — Po^t office established at West Amesbury; Col. Ed-
mund Sargent, postmaster.
1825 — Poor Farm purchased at Saunders Hill. Poor previ-
ously boardetl out. No. 2 Mill liuilt by Salisbury
Manufacturing Co. Old Nail factory sold to same
1826 — Tanning works established by Seth Clark on Back
river. Present Congregational church built at the
Mills by Unitarians.
1827 — ^'I'l'ii bridge at Deer island broke down Feb 6.
St. James' Episcopal church organized.
in AmeshurV', Massachusetts. 21
1828 — Congregational society at Mills organized. Pastor
of Unitarian society at Mills installed. Rev.
David Damon.^ Provident Institution for Savings
in Salisbury and Amesbury incorporated ; Jacob
Brown, president, Edward Dorr, Robert Patten,
Stephen Sargent, vice presidents ; Robert Patten,
treasurer. Office over counting room of factory.
Ladies' Charitable society formed. Franklin Hall
1829 — First steamer on Merrimac river, " The Merrimac."
1831 — "Voted that the School Committee who shall serve
in future shall each be allowed six dollars a year
as a compensation for his services." Organization
of Congregational church of Salisbury and Ames-
bury Mills completed. Eleazer Johnson, clerk.
1332 — " Middle road " to Haverhill built. Alarm at ap-
pearance of Asiatic cholera in vicinity. Militia
company organized; Jonathan Allen, Jr., Captain.
1833 — Episcopal society worship in Franklin Hall from
1833 to 1836; Rev. Joseph Price, rector. Salis-
bury and Amesbury Anti-Slavery Society founded ;
Jonathan A. Sargent, President; Benj. Brierly,
Secretary ; Robert Scott, Treasurer.
1834 — "Voted to request Commissioners not to license any
persons to sell fermented liquors in town." Ap-
portionment of school money : Ferry, $185 ; Mills,
$296. Rev. Joseph Towne, first pastor Mills Con-
gregational Society. Five hundred and fifty (550)
carriages built this year in West Parish. Salisbury
and Amesbury Female Anti-Slavery Society found-
ed ; Mrs. Helen Howarth, President; Miss Betsy
1835_New meeting-house of Union Evangelical Church of
Salisbury and Amesbury built at Salisburypoint ;
Rev, John Gunnison, pastor. Rev. Benjamin Bell
22 Chronological Record of Events
died in Amesbury poor-house. Rev. Benjamin
Sawyer resigned pastorate at Sandy Hill.
1836 — Universalist Society build a meeting-house at West
Amesbury. Selectmen ordered to build a stone
bridge at the Mills. Powow River Bank incor-
porated; capital, $100,000; Seth Clark, Presi-
dent; Nathaniel White, Cashier. John G. Whit-
tier removed to Amesbury, St. James' Church
consecrated ; Rev. Henry M. Davis, rector.
1837 — Shoe-making an important industry ; many shoe shops.
2507 inhabitants. Great depression in business.
Baptist church on Market street finished and dedi-
cated. Agassiz schoolhouse built.
1838 — Surplus revenue divided among inhabitants, $2.00
per head (paupers excepted).
1839 — New schoolhouse at river district. West Amesbury
Congregational Society build meeting-house on
1840 — Town farm at Saunders' Hill sold. Porch and spire
added to Congregational church at Mills. James
H. Davis opened a private school in Academy
building, continuing until 1850. Abolition ticket
received eleven votes.
1842 — Bell placed in Congregational Church at the Mills.
1843— Town House built at Pond Hills. Jonathan Ring
and others of Little Salisbury petition Legislature
to be annexed to Amesbury and petition granted.
James Horton and others petition General Court
for leave to build railroad from Eastern road to
Mills; granted. Powow river bridge rebuilt with
two stone arches.
1844 — Methodist society organized. Free Baptist church
in Amesbiiry^ AlassacJnisetts. 23
1845 — ^^niversalist society incorporated; Episcopal church
purchased by them and removed to Friend street ;
Rev. George G. Strickland, pastor. Powow River
Lodge of Odd Fellows instituted ; Josiah B. Gale,
1846 — Second Episcopal church on present site on Main
street consecrated ; Rev. D. Gordon Estes, psstor.
1847 — Unsuccessful attempt to divide the town. Salisbury
Branch railroad built in 1847-S.
1848 — Sandy Hill meeting-house sold to Mr. John VVinkley
and taken down ; 133 years old. Wheel company
incorporated at West Amesbury. No. 7 mill built;
Capt. Horton, Agent.
j^349_Present poor-farm purchased. Free Baptist church
on Friend street dedicated; Mr. Hanscom, pastor.
]^g5Q — $2000 appropriated to purchase four fire engines.
" Friend Street Academy " opened by J. H. Davis.
Present Friends' meeting-house built. Population
1851 — New schoolhouse built at Ferry; brick one taken
1852— Strike of operatives in Salisbury Mills under Agent
Derby ; $2000 appropriated by town to assist those
out of employment. Abolitionist vote, 125.
1853 — Jacob R. Huntington commences manufacture of
carriages at the Mills. Mt. Prospect cemetery
opened. A. L. Bayley establishes hat business at
Salisburypoint. Hat business established in i 7S0,
when liberty was given Jacob Brown " to set up a
hatter's shop on the highway near David Currier's
1854— No. 4 mill built, under Agent Derby.
1855— Town's landing at Mills sold to Salisbury Manufac-
turing Company. Powow River and Savings Bank
24 Chro7io]ogical Record of Hvcnts
building built at corner of Market street. " Okl
Volunteer" fire engine purchased. Amesbury and
Salisbury Mutual Fire Insurance Company organ-
ized. No. I mill built. Merrimac Hat Company
1856 — Amesbury and Salisbury Agricultural and Horticul-
tural Society organized. Joshua Aubin gives a
donation to establish a Public Library.
1857 — " Salisbury Mills Company" organized; in 1S5S,
M. D. F. Steere made agent, and continues 25
years. Post-office established at South Amesbury.
1859 — New Congregational church built at West Amesbury.
I860 — High school established; five months at Academy,
five at West and South Amesbury.
1861 — April 27, town meeting called to raise volunteers;
$5000 unanimously voted for " equipping, uniform-
ing or assisting such as shall enlist." Company
organized and attached to the Fourteenth Regi-
ment (afterwards First Heavy Artillery), as Co. E;
Captain J. W. Sargent.
1862 — No. 8 mill erected. Great fair for Sanitary Com-
mission held in it. Calls for soldiers for three
years and nine months; three hundred ($300) and
one hundred and fifty dollars ($150) bounties
1863 — Three hundred thousand men called for by United
States; Amesbury appoints a committee to assist
Selectmen in securing her share. Citizens organize
Mills Fire District. Almshouse enlarged. Present
wooden schoolhouse on School street built. Wharf
built at South Amesbury. Patten's Hollow Mill
built; E. G. Colby, President; L. F. Burrill,
Agent. Amesbury Hat Company organized, and
factory built near Powow river bridge ; buys Ferry
landing from town ; consolidated with Merrimac
in Amesbury^ Massachusetts. 215
Hat Co. Block built by Seth Clark on the former
Enoch Winkley estate. Union Block built by
Leonard Brown and Henry Kingsbury.
1864 — Draft ordered ; fifty-nine men furnished from town.
Act to unite towns of Amesbury and Salisbury
passed by Legislature and defeated by vote of
towns. Charter granted to Newburyport and
Amesbury Horse Railroad Company. Horton Hat
Company organized by Alfred Bailey and others.
National Bank at West Amesbury organized ; Pres-
ident, Patten Sargent.
1865 — Civil War ended. Amesbury furnished about 400
men ; 27 died or were killed, 13 wounded. Roman
Catholic church (wooden) built on present site.
$1000 appropriated for sufferers by Portland fire.
Horton and Merrimac Hat Companies consolidated ;
Abner L. Bayley agent for many years. Public
Library building and Odd Fellows' Hall on Friend
1867 — Greenwood street accepted by town. Baptist church
organized at West Amesbury.
1868 — Aubin street accepted by town. Bridges made free
by act of Legislature. Town protests against pay-
ing portion of expense. Present Grammar school-
house built at River district. West Amesbury
Branch railroad incorporated. Mills Fire District
organized. Catholic cemetery laid out.
1869 — School districts abolished by Legislature. "Ames-
bury and Salisbury Academy Incorporation," in-
corporated by Josiah B. Gale, Wm. C. Binney and
others. Post-office building and stores built over
Powow river by Salisbury Mills Company. J. R.
Huntington's carriage factory burned. E. P. Wal-
lace Post, G. A. R., established.
l^g7Q_01d Academy burned, Saturday night, Nov. 5.
Trinity Royal Arch Chapter of Masons instituted.
26 Chronological Record of Evctits
Another attempt to unite towns defeated l)y vote.
Bartlett Grammar schoolhouse at Ferry built. Bap-
tist church at West Amesbury dedicated. Wheel
factory of Foster & Howe at West Amesbury
1871 — Fire District organized at West Amesbury. Rev.
Benjamin Sawyer, pastor of Sandy Hill and of
Rocky Hill church, died, aged 88 years. Boiler
house of Hamilton Woolen Company built.
1872 — Dam at Lake Gardner built by Salisbury Mills Com-
pany ; cost$6o,ooo. Merrimac Opera House built
on Friend street by Messrs. Kelley & Woods.
Light of great Boston fire seen in town.
1873 — Congregational church at Mills improved at expense
of $7000. Friend street schoolhouse built. Town
House at Fond Hills burned Horse railroad to
Newburyport completed. Work commenced on
present brick Catholic church. Town organized
fire districts. Pipes laid connecting with factories,
and $5000 expended on system. R. B. Haw ley
made agent of the Merrimac Hat Co.
1874 — Soldiers' monument erected in Union cemetery ; cost
$500. Rowell's block built. Knights of Pythias
1875 — Oltl Ladies' Home Society organized.
1876 — Division of town by Legislature. Territory reduced
to three miles square. One-half territory and two-
fifths population lost to Amesbury. West Ames-
bury April II, becomes Merrimac. Division line
runs from Merrimac river to south side of Lake
Attitash, thence obliquely to state line; $22,400
voted for appropriations by new town. Salisbury
Mills stop operations for nearly four years.
1877 — Great depression in all business except carriage busi-
in Amcsbury^ MassacJuisetts. 27
ISTS^t'iesent new mill built by Merrimac Hat Company
and dedicated by a fair for the Old Ladies' Home.
Salisbury mills sold and known as Essex mills.
Birthplace of Josiah Bartlett purchased for an
" Old Ladies' Home. " W. C. T. U. established.
1879 — Mining excitement in Newburyport and Amesbury.
1880 — Essex mills bought by Hamilton Corporation.
1882 — High schoolhouse built on Academy lot. Attempt
to unite with Merrimac and Salisbury to hire a
superintendent of schools defeated. Biddle, Smart
& Co.'s carriage factory built. Woman's Relief
Corps established. Old Catholic church building
1883 — Powow Hill Water Company organized ; Richard
Briggs,' President. Town ratifies contract made
with Powow Hill Water Co., 87 yeas, i no. Es-
sex Merrimac bridge (iron) and draw, between
Deer Island and Amesbury built ; Amesbury's
share of cost $11,653, and Amesbury and Salis-
bury to keep in repair. Amesbury National bank
incorporated; A. M. Huntington, President; F. F.
Morrill, Cashier. Bequest of Miss Anna Jaques
of Newburyport, for a hospital for Newburyport,
Newbury, West Newbury, Amesbury and Salis-
bury. July 5, Patten's Hollow mill struck by
lightning and destroyed. American House en-
larged, stores added to front.
1884 — Anna Jaques hospital opened. Free text books in
schools ordered by Legislature. Y. M. C. A.
society organized and building opened on Market
street. Union block destroyed by fire. Public
Library building has a free reading room estab-
lished by Hamilton Woolen Co.
1885 — Union block re-built. Parochial school building and
Sisters' house built ; school opened in September.
Celebration of the Centennial of Rocky Hill Meet-
28 Chronological Record of Events
ing-House; society organized in i7'4> ^'^*^ chinch
built in 1 716; Rev. Joseph Parsons the first min-
ister in 1718. " Parson Sawyer " preached his last
sermon in 1S70, after 36 years in the ministry in
the parish. Pump at Wadleigh's block removed,
and curbstone (said to be a millstone from the first
corn mill of 1641,) placed around Ordvvay well
(dug in 1735) in Huntington Square. Ladies'
Auxiliary to Y. M. C A. instituted.
1886 — Towns annexed June 18; Amesbury to include the
old West Parish of Salisbury and the East Parish
of Amesbury; 3000 population and $2,000,000 in
property added to Amesbury, which includes
" Rocky Hill," " Salisbury Mills " and " Salisbury-
point." Union cemetery enlarged. Amesbury Im-
provement Association organized. Amesbury Co-
operative Bank organized; President, George E.
Batchelder ; Treasurer, F. R. Whitcher. Ames-
bury Grange instituted.
^QgY — Opera House block built by Messrs. Steere, Biddle,
Nelson and Batchelder. Highland avenue accept-
by town. Amesbury Mills Fire District property
conveyed to the town. Company B organized ; E.
W. M. Bailey, Captain. Contract made with
Electric Light Co. for 40 lights. Methodist church
on Pond street burned. Episcopal parsonage built.
Methodist church on Main street begun. St. Jo-
seph's parsonage built. Hamilton Mills made cot-
ton mills; M. W. Qiiinn, Agent. C. F. Pettin-
gell's machine shop and Locke & Jewell's factory
destroyed by fire and re-built.
jQQg — Great fire on Carriage Hill, April 5 ; loss of property
nearly $1,000,000; 24 buildings destroyed. Statue
of Josiah Bartlett, given by J. R. Huntington, ded-
icated July 4 with interesting exercises. Meth-
odist church completed. Opera House rented for
town meetings, etc., for five years. District Court
in At?iesbury^ Massachusetts. 29
established. Old Ladies' Home completed. $10,-
000 voted in town meeting to build an Armory
building. Clan Fraser instituted. Board of Trade
established; President, W. W. Smart. School-
house at Lion's Mouth built. Amesbury Daily es-
tablished ; \V. H. B. Currier, Editor. (First
newspaper in Amesbury established in 1832 by
Nayson & Caldwell — The Amesbury Chronicle.
1889 — Town votes to accept Public Library for one year,
and appropriates $200 therefor from the dog tax.
Brick schoolhouse on School street altered for the
fire department. Rand-Adams block enlarged by
addition of stores on the front. N. & A. R. R.
made electric. Street railway built to Salisbury.
VVonnesquam Boat Club organized; A. C. Web-
ster, President. Pastor of Mills Congregational
church, H. M. Schermerhorn, dies. Co. B. at-
tends inauguration of President Harrison. Engine
house on Hamilton court burned.
1890 — January i, free postal delivery for greater part of the
town. Bahan block finished.
1891 — Greene block built on site of the old Wadleigh house.
Locke & Jewell's wheel factory and Pettingell's
machine shop burned.
1892 — John G. Whittier died Sept. 7, aged 84 years; buried
in his family lot in Union cemetery, after 56 years'
residence in Amesbury. H., M. & A. St. Railway
Co. incorporated. Australian system of voting
1893— Dog tax and $300 given by town to the Library.
Water Co. enlarges wells at Bartlett's Corner.
Seth Clark builds wooden block on Friend street.
T. J. Clark memorial gateway given to Mt. Pros-
pect cemetery. Strathmere Club founded to im-
prove Lake Attitash. Carriage shipments from
January to August, 12458. Amesbury manufac-
turers send carriage exhibit to World's Fair.
30 Cliroiiological Record of E'cciits
1894 — Nov. lO, corner-stone of Y. M. C. A. buililiny on
High street laid. Electric fire alarm system adopt-
ed. $ioo voted to improve old part of I'nion
1895— Y. M. C. A. building dedicated June 2; President,
D. C. Maxfield. Dredging of Powow river begun.
Amesbury Improvement Association marks historic
places with tablets and raises money to improve
Highland Park. Gen. Cogswell dies and W. H.
Moody is elected Representative to Congress. A.
E. Tuttle resigns as Principal of High school and
Forrest Brown succeeds him. VVm. Hilton dies
and the Hilton will is in dispute.
1896 — March 19, Woman's Club organized and named
Elizabeth H. Whittier Club; President, Mrs.
Emily B. Smith. Josiah Bartlett Chapter, D. A.
R., organized June 6; Regent, Mrs. E. O. Per-
kins. Great freshet in the Merrimac river; dam-
age to mills and bridges; Wonnesquam boat house
greatly injured by ice and water; previous freshets
in 1740, 181S, 1846, 1S70, 1875 and 1887. Land
on Clinton street purchased by town for use of
stone. Bahan block damaged by fire. Bequest of
Capt. Smith Colby for sidewalks used by town
along the Point shore. Library made a town libra-
ry, with board of nine trustees elected by the town ;
$600 and dog tax voted for it. $3000 voted to en-
large High school building, and $2000 also appro-
priated for laboratory, heating and ventilation.
Old powder house on Brown's hill repaired. Free
postal delivery for Salisburypoint and Pleasant
Valley. Triangle at Huntington Square and High-
land Park laid out by Town Improvement Associa-
tion. Strathmere Club incorporated.
1897 — Town debt to the amount of $71,000 refunded ; $100
appropriated to mark the graves of Union soldiers.
in Amcshury^ Massachusetts. 31
Curfew bell again rung at nine o'clock. Order of
Eastern Star instituted. Old South Historical So-
ciety visits Amesbury. Ameslniry Improvement
Association incorporated, and site of Golgotha
given by F. F. Morrill of Newburyport. New
schoolhouse at Pond Hills built on old church lot.
1898— Feb. I, great snowstorm. Feb. 15, battleship Maine
blown up in Havana harbor. War declared with
Spain. May 5, Company B leaves for camp ; Capt.
H. S. Bean. Names of soldiers who died: Cor-
poral George W. Patten at Amesbury; Corporal
Henry Higgins at Lexington, Ky. ; Charles A.
Currier at Porto Rico; Timothy O. Lamprey at
Chickamauga ; Rolvin G. Coombs at Lexington,
Ky. ; Terrence McDonald, Co. D, 17th Inf., Cuba.
$Sooo appropriated for soldiers' relief. VVhittier
Home Association organized. Nov. 26-2S, great
snowstorm ; steamer Portland lost.
1899 — March 18, Bahan's block, Opera House block, Bart-
lett & Bagley's block. Rand- Adams block and
Episcopal church destroyed by fire. Amesbury &
Hampton electric road built. Co. B returns from
Cuba, April 15, and is mustered out of service.
State road built at Pond Hills. Bartlett Cemetery
Association organized. Rand- Adams block re-
built. School census, 2728. New town by-laws
adopted, including curfew law. Christmas service
held in new Episcopal church; R. LeB. Lynch,
rector, Wilman block built. Terrence McDonald
Garrison of Army and Navy Union instituted.
Odd Fellows dedicate new hall in Union block.
N. & A. St. Ry. becomes Citizens' St. Ry. Ap-
propriation for schools, $22,000; highways and
bridges, $12,000; poor department, $7300; sol-
diers' relief, $1700; sidewalks, $2000. Voted,
that nine hours shall be a day's work for town
laborers and $1.80 the minimum pay.
32 Chronological Record of Events
The Powow river was for many years the dividing line
between Amesbury and SaHsbury, and the busiest parts
of the two towns were situated upon its banks, and
were one in appearance and in business interests. The events
noted in this book belonging to these portions of Salisbury
are of interest for reference to all citizens of Amesbury, of
which these divisions of old Salisbury are now a part.
1796 — Jacob Perkins establishes on the Powow river the
first nail mill in the United States.
1726-1835 — Ship-building flourishes on the Merrimac and
Powow rivers. Salisburypoint is credited with
building between 500 and 600 vessels, with a great
coasting and West India trade. Hackett, Webster,
Clark, Colby, Lowell, Bagley, Morrill, Currier,
Rowell, Wadleigh, and Keniston, are well-known
names in ship-building and trade. Many inns
along the Point and Ferry shore. Ferries : Svvett's,
near Rocks bridge, established in iSio; from Ken-
iston's wharf to Bartlett's hill, 1 7S9 (little used).
First ferryman at Amesbury Ferry, Edward Good-
1801 — Little red schoolhouse built on "the island," in
1802 — School districts laid out: i. Ferry, " Schools to keep
23 weeks, i day, in the year," 2. Mills, " Schools
to keep 15 weeks, i day." 3. Pond Hills, " to
keep 9 weeks, i day." 4. " Pleasant Value," "to
keep 6 weeks, i day. 5. Pond, " 4 weeks, i day."
1810 — Voted, that " no highway tax be laid out in liquor."
in Amesbiiry^ Massachusetts. 33
1816 — An effort is made to annex towns north of the Mer-
rimac to New Hampshire. Voted, " to take some
measures to be separated from the State of Massa-
chusetts, and be joined to the State of New Hamp-
1820 — "Male inhabitants 21 years of age, resident in town
one year next preceding, having a freehold estate
within said town of the annual income of £3, or
any estate to the value of £60, are entitled to vote
for representative to the General Court."
1832 — Patten's pond is made by a dam which flows the low
ground, and oil works (the oil made from sun-
flowers grown on the Highlands and elsewhere,)
are established at the Hollow ; afterwards the site
of Patten's tannery.
1837 — Brick schoolhouse on School street built; Captain
Rowell's bell, brought from a West India planta-
tion and given in 1810 (not 1808, as on page 19),
taken from the old wooden schoolhouse near the
same site, is placed in it.
1841-43 — Voted not to send a representative to the Gen-
1841 — Nine pence per hour paid for labor on the highway.
"Congregational meeting-house in Amesbury and
Salisbury Village " incorporated ; Joseph Kings-
1844 — March 15, Little Salisbury (more than one square
mile in extent, on Powow river) annexed to Ames-
1849 — Amesbury Villager published and edited for a short
time by Daniel F. Morrill; later and for many
years by VVm. H. B. Currier.
1850 — Methodist church on Pond street built.
1850-51— Washington Hall built.
34 Chronological Record of Events
1859 — Roman Catholic society occupy Washington Hall for
services; wooden church dedicated in iS6S; Rev.
John Brady, Pastor.
1861 — The first men to enlist from Amesbury and Salis-
bury were a company known as the " Wallace
Guards," (Capt. George H. Morrill, Lieut. Jere
A. Greeley,) organized in July and August, and
mustered out Aug. 15, 1S64, of which the greater
portion joined the 17th Mass. Regt. as Co. D. A
small part of these men, however, joined a company
organizing in Newbur}port, and were afterwards
transferred to the 40th N. Y. Regt., called the
Mozart Regiment ; others joined the West Ames-
bury company, which was mustered in July 5, and
mustered out Aug. 5, 1864.
1862 — Men raised for the 4Sth regiment.
1863— Bartlett & Bagley block built.
1866 — Colchester mill built with local capital.
1870 — Universalist society re-organized.
1871 — Dec. 6, Universalist church (formerly Washington
Hall,) dedicated; iSiS, ''Universal society of
Amesbury and Salisbury," first mentioned in the
1872 — Richard S. Spoflbrd buys Deer Island for a residence.
Hat factory, built in 1S63, burned.
1844-1880 — Joseph Merrill, Amesbury's historian, is town
1886 — Sparhawk street opened. Merrimac Opera Hall
1887 — Highland avenue named Hillside avenue, after ac-
ceptance by the town.
1899 — Dec. 29, Macy house given by Moses Colby to the
Bartlett Cemetery Association; Dr. H. G. Leslie,
President. Valuation of Amesbury, $5,152,431.
Valuation of carriage output, $1,500,000.
in Amesbury^ Massachusetts. 35
Instituted by Gardner Brewer,- President of the Ames-
bury Flannel Co., containing between 700 and Soo volumes,
given by Joshua Aubin as a Public Library in 1S56; incora-
ted in 1S73; W. C. Binney, President (1860-1S77); J. H.
Davis, Secretary; Wms. Allen, Treasurer ; 1S73, 600 vol-
umes given by Gardner Brewer; 1S93-7, $200 worth of books
given by James Hume; Thomas J. Clark, George Turner
and Jona. VVadleigh give donations of money ; 1S97, Mrs.
Hannah C. Hubbard gives $5000 by will; 1S9S, Miss Mary
Barnard gives a bequest of $10,000, the income only to be
used for the purchase of books and for defraying the expenses
of the library; also, residuary legacy of $20,931.35 for a new
Page 10. " Wadey " should be " Wadley."
Page 18, 1S04. For " William," read " Ezra."
Page iS. For " five companies," read " fire company."
Page 30. Tanning industry established by Seth Clark, Sr.,
1824, instead of 1826.
Page 20. Omit reference to sunflower oil.
Banks, First, 10, 11. S. and A. Saviugs, 21. Powow River, 22. W.
Amesbury, 25. Amesburj^ Natioual, 27. Co-operative, 28.
Boundaries, Land Divisions, Organization and Naming, 5, 6, 7.
Haverliill and Salisbury bounds, 7. Norfollc Co., 6. Deer Island,
8, 34. Town divided into E. and W. Parishes, 11. State bounds,
12. Little Salisbury, 12, 22, 33. Union of towns defeated, 23, 25,
26. Division of Amesbury and W. Amesbury, 2G. Salisbury
Mills, Salisbury Point, IJocky Hill, and Deer Island annexed to
Amesbury, 28. Annexation to N. II., 33. Clinton street land, 30.
Buildings, Franklin hall, 21. Town house, 22. Bank building, 23.
Clark blocks, 25, 29. Boiler house, Merrimac Opera hall, Powell's
block, 26. Opera House block, 28. Old Ladies" home, 29. Union
block, 25, 27. Armory, Pand-Adams, 29, 31. Greene and Bahan
blocks, 29. Y.M.C.A., 30. Wilman, 31. Pul)lic Library and
Odd Fellows' hall, 25. Post Office over river, 25. Washington
hall, 33. Macy house, 34. Bartlett-Baglev block, 34. Colchester
Bridges, Powow Piver, 11, 13, 17, 22, 25. Merrimac river, Essex
Merrimac, 17, 27. Chain, 19, 20. Free bridges, 25.
Cemeteries. Golgotha, 7, 31. Union, 7, 28, 30. W. Amesbury, 11.
Corner, (Salisbury) 17. Mount Prospect, 23, 29. Catholic, 25.
Earthquakes, Epidemics, Floods, Fires, etc., 11, 13, 20, 21. Tor-
nado, 14. Dark day, 15. Freshets, 30. Severe winters, 15, 18,
20, 31. Fires, 19. "Old Academy, 25, Wheel factory, W. Ames-
bury, 26. Patten's Hollow mill and Union block, 27. ^lethodist
church. Carriage Hill, 28. Pettingcll's and Locke and Jewell's
shops, 28, 29. Engine house, 29. Bahan block, 30. Main street,
opera house, etc., 31. Town house; 20. Catholic church, 27. Hat
factory, 34. Merrimac opei-a hall, 34.
Educational. School houses. Pond Hills, 10. 31. Ferry, 14, 18, 23.
West Parish, 13. Friend street, 18, 2(1. Pleasant ^■a^lev, 18. Old
Academv. 1^, 19, 25. Agassiz. 22. High, 24, 27, 30. School
street, Ordway, 24. Brick, 33. Bartlett, 26. Piver, 22. 25.
Lion's Mouth, 29. Parochial, 27. On the Island, 32. School
Committee, 14, 17, 21. Schoolmasters, 8, 9, 10. 12, 18, 19.. J. H.
Davis' schools, 22, 23. Bell, 19, 33. Districts, laid out, 32;
altolishcd, 25. School tax and appropiiations, 9. 10, 18, 19, 21, 31.
("ensus, 31. Superiuteudetits and Free Books, 27.
Ferries, 7, 8, 13, 16, 32.
Fire, protection from, 18, 19, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29.
Fisheries, 11, 13.
Hospitals, 13, 17, 20, 27.
Improvements, Statue of Josiah Bartlett, 28. Parks, 30. Salis-
burypoint sidewalks, 30. Curfew bell, 31. Ordway well, 28.
Industries, Mills, Saw .Mill, 7. Fulliaoj, 9. Iron, 10, 18. Nail, 19,
20, 32. Oil, 17, 32, 33. Woolen and Cotton, 19, 20, 23, 24, 27, 28.
Shops, Machine, 18. Hat, 14, 23. 24, 25, 26. Carriage, 18, 21, 23,
27, 29, 34. Ship building, 9, 10, is, 19, 32. Alliance, 15. Warren,
18. Decatur, 19. Shipyards, 10, 13, 32. Tanniug, 9, 20, 32, 33.
Brickyards and Limekiln, 12. Shoemaking, 22. Mining, 27.
Navigation, 10, 12, 13, 17, 23, 24, 30. Dams, 10, 26, 32, 33. Agri-
culture, 11, 16. Pond Ridge Tunnel, 12. Business depression,
22, 23, 26. Powow Hill Water Co., 27, 29. Electric Light Co.,
28, 30. Board of Trade, 29.
Library, 24, 27, 29, 30, 35.
Military, Garrison houses, 8, 10. Arms and ammunition, 12, 16.
Training field, 11. First Infantry, Capt. Currier 12. Second com-
pany. West Amesburv, 13. Ferry, Capt. Ballard, 14, 16. A. and
S. Artillery, 17. Militia companies, 14, 16, 21. Co. E. 14th Regt.,
24. Co. B, 8th Regt., 28, 29, 31. Soldiers" Monument, 26. Sol-
diers' Graves and Powder House, 30. Wars, Indian, 8, 9, 10.
French and Indian, 13. Revolutionary, 14, 15, 16. Shay's Rebel-
lion, 16. War of 1812, 19. Civil, 24, 25, 34. Spanish, 31. Em-
Nev^spapers, 29, 33.
Poor, Almshouse, 42, 20, 22, 23, 24. Arcadians, 13, 16.
Population, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23.
Post Office, 17, 20, 24, 25, 29, 30.
Public Houses, 8, 20, 27, 32.
Religious, Meeting houses. First, 7, 8, 9. Parsonage lot, 7, 10.
Jamaco, 10, 11. Episcopal, 12, 13, 19, 22, 23, 31. Friends, 9, 10,
18, 23. Sandy Hill, 13, 18, 23. Presbyterian, 16. Rocky Hill, 16,
28. Mills Congregational, 22, 26. Union Evangelical, 21. First
Baptist, 20, 22. Unitarian, 20. Universalist, 34. Methodist, 28,
33. Free Baptist, 23. Roman Catholic, 25, 26, 27, 28, 34. W. A.
Congregational, 24, W. A. Baptist, 26. Societies, Friends', 9, 10,
12. Episcopal, 10, 12, 20, 21, 23. Mills Congregational, 21, 22, 29,
33. Baptist, 15, 19. Unitarian, 21. Universalist, 22, 23. Metho-
dist, 22, 28. Free Baptist, 22. W. A. Congregational, 22. W. A.
Baptist. 25. Roman Catholic, 34, Parsonages, 8, 16, 28. Tithing
Men, 8. Lecture, 9. Stocks, 11. Persecutions, Robert Pike of
Salisbury in connection with Joseph Peaslee, 6. Joseph Peaslee
and Thomas Macy, 7. Witchcraft, 8.
Roads, Haverhill, Saudj' Hollow, 5. Ferry street, 6, 10. Lion's
j\Ioiith, 6. Hunt, 10. River, 16. Middle, 21. Greenwood and
Auhin, 2.5. Hillside, first called Highland avenue, 28, 34. Spar-
hawk, 34. State, 31. Railroads, N. & A. 2.5, 26, 27, 29, 31. H.,
M. & A., 29. Salisbury division, 29. E.,;H. & A., 31. Araesbury
branch (steam), 22, 23. W. A. branch (steam) 25.
SOCIKTIES, Masonic, 20, 2.5, 30. Odd Fellows, 23, 25, 31. Charitable,
21. Anti-Slavery, 21. A. & S. Agricultural, 24. E. P. Wallace
post, 25. Old Ladies' home, 26, 27, 29. Ladies' Auxilliary, 28.
W. C. T. U., 27. W. R. C, 27. Y. M. C. A., 27. K. of P., 26.
Grange, 28. Aniesbury Improvement Association, 28, 30, 31.
Clan Fraser, Boat club, Strathmere club, 29, 30. Elizabeth H.
Whittier club, 30. Josiah Bartlett chapter, D. R.. 30. Whittier
Home association, 31. Bartlett Cemetarj" association, 31, 34.
Terrence McDonald Garrison, 31.
TovTN Business, meetings, laws, appropriations, etc., 8, 10, 11, 12,
13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26, 29. 30, 31, 33, 34. Courts 28.
Personals, J. G. Whittier, 22, 29. Josiah Bartlett, 11, 15. Valen-
tine Bagley, 17. Rev. Benjamin Sawyer, 26, 28. Joseph Merrill, 34.
o oJ:, " 1- o
' ' ^'
.0^ .^•^'. <;> V