(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "A concise account of the principal works in stained glass that have been executed"

WORKS EXECUTED IN 

STAINED GLASS 

BY T. WILLEMENT, F. S. A. 



Digitized by the Internet Archive 

in 2007 with funding from 

IVIicrosoft Corporation 



http://www.archive.org/details/conciseaccountofOOwilliala 




Ot&lONEO *. EXEC'JTED Br TWILIFMENT, rSA 



DRAWN *.£NGRAVEO BY JB.SWAlNt. 






A CONCISE ACCOUNT OF 



THE PRINCIPAL WORKS IN 



STAINED GLASS 



THAT HAVE BEEN EXECUTED BY 



THOMAS WILLEMENT 

OF LONDON, FELLOW OF THE SOCIETY 
OF ANTIQUARIES. 



[ PRINTED FOR PRIVATE DISTRIBUTION ] 

1840. 



QU^^t^ 



Iftd 






THE FOLLOWING WORKS ARE HERE ARRANGED ACCORD- 
ING TO DATE OF THEIR EXECUTION. THE SUBJECTS 
THEMSELVES ARE IN GENERAL MARKED WITH THE 
MONOGRAM OF THE ARTIST. 




1812. 

CAERHAYS, CORNWALL. 

THE SEAT OF 

I. T. P. BETTESWORTH TREVANION, ESQ. 

THE window of the principal staircase, containing 
the badges of the several Dukes of Cornwall ; and 
other heraldic ornaments. 

In the windows of the entrance-hall, shields of the 
several arms which are quartered by the family of 
Trevanion. 



192032ti 



6 WORKS IN 

1816. 
FOR LORD HENRY HOWARD MOLYNEUX, 

DEPUTY EARL MARSHAL. 

A WHOLE length portrait of his son Henry 
Howard, of Grey stoke Castle, Cumberland ; this 
is now in the possession of James Wentworth 
Buller, Esq., of Downes, Devonshire, who married 
his Lordship's third daughter. 

A large compartment of the crests and arms of 
Lord Henry impaling Long. They are now affixed 
in a window on the south side of Aldingbourne 
church, Sussex. 

1817. 

PULL COURT. WORCESTERSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GENERAL DOWDESWELL. 

A LARGE eliptical window for the great hall, 
containing armorial bearings, borders, and ornaments. 

1818. 

LAMBETH PALACE. SURREY. 

AN armorial compartment of the arms, &c. of 
Dr. Moore, archbishop of Canterbury ; for the gallery. 
Presented by his family. 



STAINED GLASS. 7 

1819. 
BRIDGE CASTLE. SUSSEX. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF ABERGAVENNY, K. T. 

A LARGE armorial window for the principal 
staircase ; in the upper part of which is an equestrian 
portrait of his Lordship, arranged in the same manner 
as the figure on the seal of Richard Neville, the great 
Earl of Warwick. 

A window on the second staircase, containing 
shields of the most illustrious arms which are quar- 
tered by the family. 

Many other windows have been executed for various 
parts of the mansion between the years 1819 and 
1838. 

.' 1820. 

KIPLIN. YORKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF TYRGONNEL. 

AN armorial window for the drawing-room. 



8 WORKS IN 

1820. 

SADLERS' HALL. LONDON. 

THE arms, crest, &c. of Thomas Griffith, Esq., 
formerly master of this company : then lately 
deceased. Presented by T. W. 



BLACKMORE PARK. WORCESTERSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OP 

T. C. HORNYHOLD, ESQ. 

A LARGE fan and side-lights, containing heraldry 
and ornament. 

1821. 
THE RHYD. WORCESTERSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR ANTHONY LECHMERE, BART. 

SEVERAL compartments of figures, flowers, &c. ; 
some copied from paintings on glass by Mrs. Pearson, 
which had been broken. 



STAINED GLASS. 9 

1823. 
MOYNS. ESSEX. 

THE SEAT OF 

GEORGE WILLIAM GENT, ESQ. 

FOUR armorial compartments for the windows of 
the great dining-room. 

1824. 
CLUMBER. NOTTINGHAMSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF NEWCASTLE, K. G. 

THREE windows for the principal staircase, filled 
with shields of arms, badges, &c., shewing the descent 
of the family ; on grounds of rich mosaic patterns, 
and ornamentally bordered. 



TYLDESLEY. LANCASHIRE. 

FOR the church of St. George, three large lancet 
openings ; in the centre one, the figure of Christ 

c 



10 WORKS IN 

bearing the cross, copied from the altar picture in the 
chapel of Magdalen College, Oxford ; the two side 
openings filled by shields of arms, shewing the alli- 
ances of the family of Johnson. These windows were 
presented to the church by George Ormerod, Esq., 
F. S. A. A lithographed print was executed of these 
windows, but from the carelessness of the printer but 
very few impressions could be taken off. 



1825. 
MAIDENHEAD. BERKSHIRE. 

A LARGE window for the altar end of the chapel, 
containing various arms, &c. ; and one window for the 
official pew. Both presented by the corporation. 



HENGRAVE HALL. SUFFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR THOMAS GAGE, BART. 

THE full armorial achievement of Queen Katha- 
rine of Arragon. Presented by John Gage, Esq., 
F.S.A. 



STAINED GLASS. U 

1825. 

LEAMINGTON-PRIORS. WARWICKSHIRE. 

AT the altar end of the church of All Saints' three 
circular-headed windows. The centre containing 
subjects from the life of Christ, the two side openings 
filled by richly coloured ornaments. 



EASTON HALL. LINCOLNSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR MONTAGU CHOLMELEY, BART. 

ON the principal staircase a window containing 
armorial bearings, &c. 



GRENDON HALL. WARWICKSHIRE, 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR GEORGE CHETWYND, BART. 

A WINDOW on the principal staircase. 

c $ 



12 WORKS IN 

1825. 
LUPSET HALL. YORKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

DANIEL GASKELL, ESQ. 
AN armorial window for the hall. 



EPSOM. SURREY. 

AN altar window for the church, containing a 
figure of Christ, with various sacred emblems. This 
window was erected by a subscription formed among 
the neighbouring gentry. 

An engraving of this window is placed as a frontis- 
piece to " The History of Epsom, by an inhabitant." 
8^ Epsom, 1825. 

1826. 

WADHAM COLLEGE. OXFORD. 

In the great Hall. At the upper end a large 
window containing the arms of the principal bene- 
factors to this college. Presented by the Rev. Dr. 
Tour nay, Warden. 



STAINED GLASS. IS 

In the Bay window, the arms of the most 
eminent men who have belonged to the college ; 
presented by the Rev. W. Wilson of Walthamstow. 

One of the side windows presented by J. H. 
Wyndham, Esq. ; the other six were erected at the 
expense of those fellows of the college whose arms 
are inserted. 

1826. 

UPPER BROOK STREET. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

SIR GEORGE FARRANT, KNT. 
AN armorial window for the staircase. 



ST. JAMES' PLACE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF THE 

RIGHT HON. LORD REAY. 
A LARGE window for the dining-room. 



SEALE. SURREY. 

IN the window of the north transcept, which had 
been added to the church by Edward Beaston 



14 WORKS IN 

Long, Esq , some shields of quartered and impaled 
arms in ornamental circles. Presented by Henry 
Lawes Long, Esq., of Hampton-Lodge. 

1826. 
THE TOWER OF LONDON. 

IN the horse-armoury, two armorial windows 
erected by order of the Hon. the Board of Ordnance, 
immediately after the chronological arrangement of 
the armour had been completed by Sir Samuel Rush 
Meyrick. 



GODDINTON. KENT. 

THE SEAT OF 

NICHOLAS ROUNDELL TOKE, ESQ. 

IN the great hall, two armorial windows ; and 
some ornamental compartments in the porch. 



DRAPER'S HALL. LONDON. 

A VERY large semicircular window at the end 
of the livery hall, containing the royal arms, the 
arms of the city of London, and of the worshipful 
company of Drapers ; within a rich border. 



STAINED GLASS. 15 

1826. 
ST. JAMES' PALACE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

THOMAS MOULE, ESQ. 

STABLE-YARD. 

IN the vestibule, a window containing figures and 
heraldry. 

1827. 

SHANKLIN. ISLE OF WIGHT. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

EDWARD VERNON UTTERSON, ESQ., F. S. A. 

VARIOUS compartments of ornament and heral- 
dry. 



UNDERLEY-HALL. LANCASHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

ALEXANDER NOWELL, ESQ. 

ON the principal staircase, a window containing 
the descents of the family with their arms. 



16 WORKS IN 

1827. 

BEGBROOK. OXFORDSHIRE. 

IN the church, several shields of arms within 
ornamental frames ; and at the altar, the figure of 
Christ. These with several old pieces of glass, 
containing the alliances of the family of Fettiplace, 
which had been removed from some other church 
in this county, were presented by Thomas Robin- 
son, Esq. 



BILSTON. STAFFORDSHIRE. 

IN the church, a large window at the altar con- 
taining the emblems of the three Persons of the 
Blessed Trinity ; with rich ornamental borders, and 
frames. 



DALLAM TOWER. WESTMORLAND. 

THE SEAT OF 

WILLIAM WILSON, ESQ. 

TWO windows and an horizontal light for the 
principal staircase. 



STAINED GLASS. 17 

1827. 
WESTMINSTER ABBEY. 

A WINDOW over the chantry of King Henry V., 
containing the arms of France, England, St. Edward 
the Confessor, and those anciently borne by the Abbey, 
on a mosaic ground. Presented by the Very Rev. 
Dr. Ireland, Dean. 



JESUS COLLEGE. CAMBRIDGE. 

THE altar window of the chapel, containing the 
portraits, arms, and devices of founders and bene- 
factors, on a foliage ground. Presented by William 
Hustler, Esq. 

1828. 

CAMBERWELL. SURREY. 

IN the church, at the east end of the north aisle, 
an armorial compartment. Presented by James 
Walsh, Esq., F. S. A. 



STOKE-NEWINGTON. MIDDLESEX. 

A WINDOW for the Baptistery. The old stained 
glass belonging to the other parts of the church 
repaired, and some additions made to it. 

D 



18 WORKS IN 

1828. 

GROCERS' HALL. LONDON. 

A LARGE circular window for the lower part of 
the staircase, containing the full armorial achieve- 
ment of the company. 



ORSETT. ESSEX. 
AN ornamental window in the church. 



WROXHAM. NORFOLK. 

IN the sepulchral chapel of the family of TrafFord, 
an heraldic window erected by the descendants. 



WIMBLEDON. SURREY. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

WILLIAM LEAKE, ESQ. 

ON the staircase an ornamental window in the 
gothic style. 



STAINED GLASS. 19 

1828. 

BRIGHTON. SUSSEX. 

IN the chapel of the Holy Trinity, a large semi- 
circular window with sacred devices and rich borders. 
Presented by the Rev. R. Anderson. 



DUNSTER HALL. STAFFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

HENRY HORDERN, ESQ. 
AN armorial window in the great hall. 



SNODLAND, KENT. 

IN the church, two cinque-foil windows. Presented 
by the Rev. Henry Dampier Phelps. 



TREBARTHA HALL. 

THE SEAT OF 

F. H. RODD, ESQ. 

AN heraldic window on the principal staircase. 

D SI 



to WORKS IN 

1828. 
CHANCERY LANE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

WILLIAM PICKERING, ESQ. 

NINE compartments, containing, within orna- 
mental frames, the arms of Chaucer, Gower, Skake- 
speare, Spencer, Ralegh, Sidney, Bacon, Newton and 
Milton. 



SHIPLAKE. OXFORDSHIRE. 

IN the church, an altar window composed from 
loose portions of ancient glass, then lately purchased 
at St. Omer, by the Rev. J. P. Boteler. Two 
windows in the south aisle formed of compartments 
of ancient glass from the same place. These were 
presented by the Rev. A. E. Howman. 

A small window near the south porch. Presented 
by T. W. 



ST. PAUL'S CHURCH. ISLINGTON. 

AN altar window. Presented by the parishioners. 



STAINED GLASS. 81 

1828. 

TRINITY CHURCH. ISLINGTON. 

A LARGE altar window, containing the kneeling 
figure of Richard Cloudesley, a great benefactor to 
this parish, and his arms. The royal arms within 
the order of the garter, and various sacred emblems 
on a ground of ornamental quarries. The cost of this 
window was partly defrayed by a donation from the 
trustees of the Cloudesley estates, and partly by pri- 
vate subscription. 



ST. JOHN'S CHURCH. HOLLOWAY. 

IN the altar window a large compartment of the 
royal arms within the order of the garter, and sur- 
mounted by the crown. 



GOODRICH COURT. HEREFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR SAMUEL RUSH MEYRICK, K. H. F. S. A. 

VARIOUS armorial circular compartments for the 
windows of the banqueting-hall. 



22 WORKS IN 

1828. 

THE 

ROYAL HOSPITAL OF ST. KATHARINE. 
REGENT'S PARK. 

A VERY large window above the altar ; containing 
the arms and badges of King George IV., of the 
master, Sir Herbert Taylor, G.C. H., and those of the 
sisters and brethren. In the upper part the arms of 
four Queens of England, founders and benefactors. 

In the north windows the arms of the Lords 
Chancellors, and the emblems of St. Katharine. 

The entrance doors glazed with ornamental stained 
glass. 

The tablets of the Commandments, and the heraldic 
decorations of the chapel and of the chapter- room 
were also executed by T. W. 



TABLEY. CHESHIRE. 

IN the church an armorial compartment, presented 
by the Right Hon. Lord de Tabley. 



STAINED GLASS. 28 

1828. 
BUCKLAND GRANGE. ISLE OF WIGHT. 

THE RESIDENCE OF 

EDWARD VERNON UTTERSON, ESQ. F. S. A. 

VARIOUS compartments of figures, ornaments, 
and heraldry, for several windows. 



MARINO. SWANSEA. 

THE SEAT OF 

H. VIVIAN, ESQ. 
AN armorial window in the great hall. 



LAMBETH PALACE. SURREY. 

AN armorial compartment for the great gallery 
of the arms, &c. of Dr. Charles Manners Sutton, 
Archbishop of Canterbury, then lately deceased. 
Presented by his family. . 



24 WORKS IN 

1829. 
EUSTON SQUARE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE of" 

CHARLES COPE, ESQ. 

A LARGE ornamental window in the Gothic 
style for the library. 



GOODRICH COURT. HEREFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR SAMUEL RUSH MEYRICK, K. H. F. S. A. 

ON the great staircase, a large window containing 
the whole length portrait of Meyric ap Llewellyn, 
Esquire of the guard to King Henry VII.; his, 
and various other arms and devices, on an ornamental 
quarry ground. 

In the Chapel, whole length figures of St. George 
and St. Barbara. 



STAINED GLASS. 25 

1829. 
LAYER MARNEY. ESSEX. 

IN the church, two compartments of the emblems 
of the Passion and of the Blessed Trinity. Presented 
by Edw. Vernon Utterson, Esq. F. S. A. 



HOLLINGWORTH HALL. CHESHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

CAPTAIN HOLLINGWORTH. 

AN armorial window for the staircase. 



BRIDEHEAD. DORSETSHIRE. 



THE SEAT OF 



ROBERT WILLIAMS, ESQ. 

A LARGE window of heraldry and ornaments for 
the gallery. 



26 WORKS^ IN 

1829. 
BUTLEIGH. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

A WINDOW presented to the church by the 
Hon. and Rev. G. Neville Grenville 



ARUNDEL CHURCH. SUSSEX. 

AN armorial compartment in the window of the 
pew appropriated to the Corporation. 



SAXHAM HALL. SUFFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

THOMAS WILLIS, ESQ. 
AN armorial window for the hall. 



COCKAYNE HATLEY. BEDFORDSHIRE. 

A LARGE window at the altar containing repre- 
sentations of the Nativity, of Christ with the Doctors, 



STAINED GLASS. 27 

of the Baptism in Jordan, of the Agony on the 
Mount, of the Crucifixion, and of the Resurrection. 
The openings of the arch occupied by sacred emblems 
and by angels in adoration. Presented to the Church 
by the Hon. and Rev. H. C. Cust, Canon of 
Windsor. 

1829. 

NONSUCH PARK. SURREY. 

THE SEAT OF 

SAMUEL PALMER, ESQ. 

IN the drawing-room windows portraits of King 
Henry VIII. and of Queen Elizabeth, within orna- 
mental compartments. 



GREEN STREET. GROSVENOR SQUARE. 



AT THE RESIDENCE OF 



MRS. AGNEW. 



A WINDOW in the library with the emblem of 
the Holy Spirit, &c. 

E 2 



28 WORKS IN 

1829. 
DRAKELOW. DERBYSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR ROGER GRESLEY, BART. 

IN the drawing-room windows some portraits of 
his ancestors, in rich ornamental compartments. 



LAMBETH PALACE. SURREY. 

ALL the old stained glass collected from various 
parts of the palace, and arranged in the bay window 
of the great library. Various new shields of arms 
and badges added to complete the series. 

1830. 
PURITON COURT. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

B. CUFFE GREENHILL, ESQ. 
A LARGE armorial window for the staircase. 



STAINED GLASS. 29 

1830. 

. CHENIES. BUCKINGHAMSHIRE. 

FOR the altar window of the church, various 
portions of old glass, with additions, placed together 
on an ornamental ground. Presented by His Grace 
the Duke of Bedford, K. G. 



DANEHURST. SUSSEX. 

THE SEAT OF 

COLONEL DA VIES. 
AN heraldic window for the principal staircase. 

1831. 
CHARLECOTE PARK. WARWICKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GEORGE LUCY, ESQ. 

THE whole of the ancient stained glass for the 
windows of the great hall, repaired and releaded. 
Eight additional pannels executed to complete the 
series of descents These have all been enumerated 
in the "Collectanea Topog. et Geneal." Vol. iv. 
p. 546. 8vo. Nichols, London, 1837. 



30 WORKS IN 

1831. 
MAMHEAD. DEVONSHIRE. 

IN the church, the altar window containing sacred 
emblems on an ornamental foliated ground. Pre- 
sented by Thomas Newman, Esq. 

Three armorial compartments in a window on the 
north side. Presented by Lady Malet Vaughan, 
daughter of Wilmot, second Earl of Lisburne. 

In the east window of the north aisle, one armorial 
compartment. Presented by Sir Peregrine Fuller 
Palmer Acland, Bart. Two others in the same 
window, and one in a south window. Presented by 
Sir Robert William Newman, Bart., of Mamhead 
Park. 

Some additions to the west window. Presented 
by T. W. 



WYNYARD. COUNTY OF DURHAM. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

MOST NOBLE THE MARQUIS of LONDONDERRY. 
A WINDOW for the gallery. 



STAINED GLASS. 81 

1831. 
CHIPSTEAD PARK. KENT. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

FREDERICK PERKINS, ESQ. 

A LARGE semicircular window for the entrance 
hall. 



BARLBOROUGH HALL. DERBYSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

REV. C. H. REASTON RODES. 

IN the vestibule at the head of the principal 
staircase, a large window, containing whole length 
portraits, heraldry, &c. 



MONEYMORE. COUNTY of LONDONDERRY. 

IN the church, erected by the Worshipful Com- 
pany of Drapers of London, a large circular window 
of the royal arms, badges, &c. Presented by the 
Company. 



52 WORKS IN 

1831. 
METHLEY HALL. YORKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF MEXBOROUGH. 

TEN large armorial pannels for the bay window 
of the great dining-room. 



NEEDHAM. SUFFOLK. 

SOME compartments of stained glass, arranged 
with various additions and fixed in a window of the 
church. Presented by Sir William Fowle Middleton, 
Bart. 



ORTON LONGUEVILLE. HUNTS. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF ABOYNE. 

TWO very large windows for the bays of the great 
dining and drawing-rooms ; containing the descents 
of the families of Gordon and Cony ngham with their 
arms, badges, &c. on an ornamental quarry ground. 



STAINED GLASS. 33 

1831. 
ROTTINGDEAN. SUSSEX. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

THOMAS BARRETT LENNARD, ESQ. 

A SERIES of armorial compartments, shewing 
the descent and alliances of the families of Dacre 
and Lennard, with their badges. 



OAKLEY PARK. SUFFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR EDWARD KERRISON, BART. 
TWO large skylights for the Saloon. 



KING'S-WALDEN. HERTFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

WILLIAM HALE, ESQ. 

SEVERAL armorial compartments for the window 
of the principal staircase. Presented by Cholmely 
Charles Dering, Esq. 



34 WORKS IN 

1831. 
HAMPTON-LUCY. WARWICKSHIRE. 

AT the rectory house, a staircase window executed 
for the Rev. John Lucy. 



LAMBETH PALACE. SURREY. 

FOR HIS GRACE THE ABP. OF CANTERBURY. 

A LARGE window of a foliated pattern, with 
coloured tracery and borders, on the principal stair- 
case. 



PURETON COURT. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

BENJAMIN CUFFE GREENHILL, ESQ. 

A WINDOW for the porch ; subjects in rich 
mosaic. 

1832. 

DUNKENHALGH HALL. LANCASHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

HENRY PETRE, ESQ. 

A LARGE horizontal window for the principal 

staircase. i 



STAINED GLASS. 55 

1832. 

WELLS. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

AT the palace, a compartment of the armorial 
bearings of the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Bath 
and Wells. 



SHRUBLAND. SUFFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR WILLIAM FOWLE MIDDLETON, BART. 
A WINDOW for the principal staircase. 



HAYTOR. LANCASHIRE. 

IN the church, two large armorial compartments. 
Presented by the Rev. Elias Ashton. 



MAMHEAD PARK. DEVONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR ROBERT WILLIAM NEWMAN, BART. 

A LARGE window for the principal staircase ; 
two windows in the corridor ; six large compartments 

F 2 



36 WORKS IN 

of fruit in ornamental frames for the dining-room ; 
six of flowers for the drawing-room ; others in various 
parts of the mansion. 

1832. 
BURGHLEY. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

MOST NOBLE THE MARQUESS OF EXETER, K. G. 

ARMORIAL compartments and borders in twenty- 
four windows of the corridor, shewing the descent of 
the Marquess from King Edward I., through the 
noble family of Neville. 



BELVIDERE. KENT. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

HON. WILLIAM THOS. TWISTLETON FIENNES. 

VARIOUS heraldic pannels of arms, badges, &c. 
for the saloon. A large collection of old glass, 
brought from Broughton Castle, Oxfordshire, repaired 
and releaded. 



RIPON. YORKSHIRE. 

FOR the east window of the Minster, several old 
pannels of arms repaired and arranged with many 



STAINED GLASS. ^ 

additions. The necessary funds were raised by 
subscription, and appropriated under the direction 
of the Rev. Dr. Webber, Dean. 



1832. 
PENHRYN CASTLE. NORTH WALES. 

THE SEAT OF 

G. H. DAWKINS PENNANT, ESQ. 

TWO ornamental windows for the principal stair- 
case. 



ST. DUNSTAN'S IN THE WEST. LONDON. 

A LARGE window over the altar, containing the 
figures of the four Evangelists, under canopies : their 
emblems, and those of the passion, are placed in other 
parts of the window. A scroll at the lower part is 
inscribed ; " Deo et ecclesiae fratres Hoare dica- 
verunt." 

A very indifferent representation of this window 
forms the frontispiece to the Gentleman's Magazine 
for 1835. Part ii. 

The tables of the Commandments, executed by 
T. W., were also contributed by the Messrs. Hoare. 



38 WORKS IN 



1833. : , . 

ALTON TOWERS. STAFFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF SHREWSBURY. 

IN the chapel, a large window containing the 
figures of the Evangelists. Another window above, 
filled with sacred emblems and tracery patterns. 



KENSINGTON PALACE. MIDDLESEX. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

H. R. H. THE DUKE OF SUSSEX, K. G. 

A WINDOW for the vestibule, another for a 
boudoir. 



UNIVERSITY COLLEGE. OXFORD. 

IN the bay window of the great hall, the arras of 
the founder, and of several benefactors, within orna- 
mental pannels. Contributed by the Rev. J. C. 
Plumptre, D. D. 



STAINED GLASS. 39 

1833. 
HYDE PARK TERRACE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

THOMAS BARRETT LENNARD, ESQ. 

VARIOUS compartments for the windows of the 
dining-room and drawing-room. 



GOLDSMITHS' HALL. LONDON. 

FIVE very large circular -headed windows in the 
great livery hall, with ornamental borders and arms. 



BEAUMONT'S GREEN. HERTFORDSHIRE. 



AT THE RESIDENCE OF 



MATTHEW MUNT, ESQ. 



ONE heraldic window for the drawing-room, and 
one for the staircase. 



40 WORKS IN 

1833. 
STEEPHILL CASTLE. ISLE OF WIGHT. 

THE SEAT OF 

JOHN HAMBOROUGH, ESQ. 

ONE large triple window for the great staircase. 
One window for the library, containing the arms of 
the Lords of the Isle of Wight. Other windows for 
the great hall and corridor. 



BRICKWALL HOUSE. SUSSEX. 

THE SEAT OP 

JOHN FREWEN TURNER, ESQ. 

SOME armorial compartments for the windows of 
the hall. 



EGGISFORD. DEVONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE HON. NEWTON FELLOWES. 
AN heraldic window for the great staircase. 



STAINED GLASS. 41 

1834. 

NORTHCHURCH. HERTFORDSHIRE. 

A WINDOW for the church, presented by the 
Rev. Sir John Hobart Seymour, Bart. 



SCONE PALACE. PERTHSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF MANSFIELD, K.T. 

SEVERAL circular pannels of figures and orna- 
ments. 



ALTON TOWERS. STAFFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF SHREWSBURY. 

A VAULTING of rich coloured glass in Mosaic 
for the ceiling of the corridor. A horizontal window 
of badges and ornaments for the ceiling of the anti- 
room. A large armorial window for the banqueting 
hall. 

6 



42 WORKS IN 

1834. 
ADDERBURY CHURCH. OXFORDSHIRE. 

IN the east window an armorial compartment. 
Presented by the Rev. N. Cotton Risley. 



THE HENDRE. MONMOUTHSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

JOHN ROLLS, ESQ. 

SEVERAL heraldic compartments for the staircase 
window. 



LATIMERS. BUCKINGHAMSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OP 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF BURLINGTON. 

A LARGE window for the principal staircase, 
containing the arms of the alliances, and descent of 
the family of Cavendish. 



STAINED GLASS. 48 

1834. 

TOXOPHILITE LODGE. REGENT'S PARK. 

FOUR windows for the north side of the Archers' 
hall, containing the arms of the members of the 
society. 



OSBERTON. NOTTINGHAMSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GEORGE SAVILLE FOLJAMBE, ESQ. 

THREE heraldic windows for the chapel, built at 
the expense of Mr. Foljambe. 



SURRENDEN-DERING. KENT. 



THE SEAT OF 



SIR EDWARD DERING, BART. 

THREE large windows for the principal staircase, 
containing the pedigree of the family, with whole 
length figures of their ancestors, various badges, &c. 

G 2 



44 WORKS IN 

1834. 
OLD. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

THE REV. R. HARRINGTON. 
A WINDOW for the staircase. 



ASHFORD. KENT. 

IN the Smythe chantry of Ashford Church, a large 
window containing the descent of that family from 
Customer Smythe, with arms and heraldic badges. 
Presented by the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Strang- 
ford, G. C. B. 



STOCKTON HOUSE. WILTSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

HARRY BIGGES, ESQ. 

FOUR heraldic compartments for the bay window 
of the great drawing-room. 



STAINED GLASS. 45 

1835. 
WELLS. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

IN the Palace, for the Right Rev. the Lord Bishop 
of Bath and Wells ; a large quatrefoil compartment 
of arms, mitre, &c. 



ROLLS CHAPEL. CHANCERY LANE. 

THE armorial bearings of Sir John Leach, Master 
of the Rolls. Fixed in the south window. 



SWAFFHAM HOUSE. CAMBRIDGESHIRE. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

COLONEL ALLIX. 

SEVERAL armorial pannels, for the windows of 
the dining-room. 



BELGRAVE SQUARE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

GEORGE HALDIMAND, ESQ. 
A WINDOW for the staircase. 



46 WORKS IN 

1835. 
GROCERS' HALL. LONDON. 

THE circular window executed in 1827 removed to 
the vestibule of the livery hall, and extended by the 
addition of whole length figures of King Edward III. 
and St. Anthony, and by the armorial bearings of 
some of the early benefactors of the Company. 



RUSSELL SQUARE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

JOHN BENJAMIN HEATH, ESQ. 

A LARGE armorial compartment for the windows 
of the corridor. 



WIDWORTHY COURT. DEVONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR EDWARD MARWOOD ELTON, BART. 

A LARGE ornamental window for the principal 
staircase. 



CROSBY HALL. LONDON. 

IN the south windows of the great hall, the arms 
of several contributors to the restoration of the 



STAINED GLASS. 47 

s 

building. In the north windows, the arms of the 
former inhabitants of Crosby Hall ; these last erected 
at the expense of Miss Hackett. 

The glass of the bay windows, containing the arms 
of King Richard III. and his Queen Anne, with 
their badges — the figure of St. Helena — and the arms 
of the city of London and of some of the companies, 
&c., presented by T. W. 

1835. 
COLDHAM HALL. SUFFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

ROBERT GAGE ROOKWOOD, ESQ. 
THREE armorial windows for the great hall. 



PENHRYN CASTLE. NORTH WALES. 

THE SEAT OF 

G. H. DAWKINS PENNANT, ESQ. 

TWO extremely large windows for the great hall, 
containing the signs of the Zodiac with representa- 
tions of the labours of the corresponding months. 
The other parts filled with elaborate ornaments of 
the richest colours. 



48 WORKS IN 

1835. 
BEDFORD. BEDFORDSHIRE. 

AT THE HALL OF 

THE PHILOSOPHIC INSTITUTION. 

A LARGE armorial window. Presented by Dr. 
Witt. 



TYNEHAM. ISLE OF PURBECK. 

FOR the church, a window in the style of King 
Edward III. Presented by the Rev. William Bond. 
And at his residence three armorial compartments 
for the staircase window. • 



GRANGE. ISLE OF PURBECK. 

THE SEAT OF 

JOHN BOND, ESQ. 

TWELVE impaled shields of arms within orna- 
mental compartments, for the windows of the great 
hall. 



WADHAM COLLEGE. OXFORD. 

AN heraldic compartment. Presented by the 
Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Bath and Wells, 
visitor. 



STAINED GLASS. 49 

1836. 
NORTON HALL. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

BERIAH BOTFIELD, ESQ., F. S. A. 

A LARGE armorial window for the billiard-room. 
Various others of ornamental designs for the saloon, 
porch, &c. 

SUDBURY PARK. DERBYSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. LORD VERNON. 

FOUR compartments of heraldry and ornament, 
for the window of the dining-room. 



CHRIST'S HOSPITAL. LONDON. 

FROM this date to the present time. Various 
panels containing the armorial bearings, &c. of the 
Governors of the Hospital, placed in the windows of 
the great dining-hall. 



TORTINGTON. SUSSEX. 

A WINDOW for the church. Presented by the 
Rev. J. De la Feld. 

H 



50 WORKS IN 

1836. 
GUNNERSBURY HOUSE. MIDDLESEX. 

THE SEAT OF 

BARONESS ROTHSCHILD. 

VARIOUS ornamental compartments in stained 
glass for the windows of the conservatory. 



GREAT BEDWIN. WILTSHIRE. 

SEVERAL sacred and heraldic devices, presented 
to the church by the Rev. John Ward. 



BARBADOES. 

AN altar window. The upper compartments pre- 
sented by the Society for the Propagation of the 
Gospel in Foreign parts. The arms, &c. of the see 
of Canterbury, presented by his Grace the Archbishop. 
The lower portions, containing figures and orna- 
ments, defrayed by a subscription of the free natives. 



CRESSWELL. NORTHUMBERLAND. 

IN the church, an altar Vvindow containing subjects 
from the life of Christ, and two ornamental side 
windows. All presented by J. Cresswell Baker, Esq. 



STAINED GLASS. 51 

18S6. 
PICCADILLY. LONDON, 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

. . . BEAUMONT ESQ. 

A WINDOW for the vestibule, and ornamental 
glass for the conservatory. 



NETHERBY. CUMBERLAND. 

THE SEAT OF THE 

RIGHT HON. SIR JAMES GRAHAM, BART. 

FOUR armorial compartments for the windows 
of the great hall. 

1837. 

NORTH CRAY. KENT. 

TWO windows in the chancel of the church. 
Presented by the Rev. W. Edgell. 



PENHRYN CASTLE. NORTH WALES. 

THE SEAT OF 

G. H. DAWKINS PENNANT, ESQ. 

FIVE windows of rich mosaic patterns for the 
great hall, and one for the adjoining corridor. 

H 2 



52 WORKS IN 

1837. 
TOXOPHILITE LODGE. REGENT'S PARK. 

IN the bay window at the west end of the Archers* 
hall, the arms of his Majesty King William IV., the 
Earl of Aylesford and others, in rich compartments. 
Beneath these the arms of some members of the 
society. 

WESTON SUPER MARE. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

IN the church, an altar window. Presented by 
the Rev. Thomas Garrett. 



MARISTOW. DEVONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR RALPH LOPES, BART. 

A SERIES of armorial bearings for the hall 
windows. 



CHARLECOTE PARK. WARWICKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GEORGE LUCY, ESQ. 

IN the windows of the library, nine very large 
armorial compartments, and nine others in the great 



STAINED GLASS. 58 

dining-room, shewing the descent of Sir John Lucy, 
Knt., who built Charlecote House in the reign of 
Queen Elizabeth. 

This series has been fully described in the fourth 
volume of the " Collectanea Topog. et Genealog." 
Nichols, London, 1837. 

1837. 
CATTERICK BRIDGE. YORKSHIRE. 

IN the chapel of St. Paulinus. Five large lancet 
windows, and a trefoil window above, in foliated 
patterns, with coloured bands and borders. These 
were executed at the expense of William Lawson, 
Esq., of Brough Hall, the founder of the chapel. 



STONELEY ABBEY. WARWICKSHIRE. 



THE SEAT OF 



THE RIGHT HON. LORD LEIGH. 

ELEVEN windows in the corridor, containing the 
various alliances of the family. Presented by his 
lordship's mother, the Hon. Mrs. Leigh. 



54 WORKS IN 

1837. 

BRIDGE. KENT. 

THE altar window of the church, partly composed 
of old stained glass. Presented by the Dowager 
Marchioness of Conyngham. 



HAMPTON LUCY. WARWICKSHIRE. 

A LARGE altar window (vide Frontispiece), con- 
taining subjects from the life of St. Peter, to whom 
the church is dedicated, and the armorial bearings of 
the principal benefactors to the parish. At the lower 
part is a scroll inscribed. " mdcccxxxv. Hanc 
vitriam fieri fecit Johannes Lucy A. M. hujus ecclesiae 
rector." 

A large engraving of this window has been executed 
by the late John Barak Swaine, and a smaller one, 
which accompanies a printed account of the window, 
distributed at the church, at the expense of the Rev. 
John Lucy, who has very kindly contributed the 
latter one as a decoration to this catalogue. 



STAINED GLASS. 55 

1837. 
BELDONNE TOWER. ISLE OF WIGHT. 

THE RESIDENCE OF 

EDWARD VERNON UTTERSON, ESQ. F.S.A. 

VARIOUS compartments for the windows of the 
library and other apartments. 

1838. 

WEST CHARLTON CHURCH. 

SOMERSETSHIRE. 

A WINDOW for the church, presented by the 
Rev. W. T. Parr Brymer. 



OXBURGH HALL. NORFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

SIR HENRY RICHARD BEDINGFELD, BART. 

A LARGE compartment for the chapel, containing 
the Red Eagle of Bedingfeld, supporting a banner of 
arms, and surrounded by various shields of the alli- 
ances of that family. 



56 WORKS IN - 

1838. 

HARLAXTON (THE NEW HALL). 
LINCOLNSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GREGORY DE LIGNE GREGORY, ESQ. 

A LARGE heraldic window for the bay of the 
great banqueting-hall ; the series of shields shewing 
the descents from the illustrious families of De Ligne, 
De la Marck, D'Aremberg, &c. 



STOVER LODGE. DEVONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF SOMERSET, K. G. 

A HORIZONTAL window, ornamentally arranged 
for the great staircase. 



CRESSWELL. NORTHUMBERLAND. 

IN the church, two large windows in foliage 
patterns, with colt^ured bands and borders. Presented 
by J. Cress well Baker, Esq. 



STAINED GLASS. 57 

1838. 
WIMPOLE. CAMBRIDGESHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL HARDWICKE. 

ON the principal staircase, a large horizontal 
window, containing the arms of all the various 
descendants of the family of Yorke, from Philip, the 
first Earl Hard wi eke. 



WINDLESHAM HALL. SURREY. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE REV. DR. J. ALLEN GILES, F. S. A. 

A WINDOW for the staircase, with figures, arms, 
and badges. 



WINDLESHAM CHURCH. 

AN altar window, containing the figure of St. 
James, and various shields of arms. Presented by 
Rev. Dr. Giles. 



58 WORKS IN 

1838. 

WIMBORNE MINSTER. DORSETSHIRE. 

AT the altar end, three large lancet windows, 
containing shields of arms and badges, on a ground of 
rich foliage patterns. Three higher openings occupied 
by the badge and initials of the donor. These win- 
dows were presented by William John Bankes, Esq. 
At the lower part is the following inscription : 

HANC VITRIAM FIERI FECIT GVLIELMVS lOH: BANKES ARM: 
DNS : MANERII HVIVS BVRGI DE WIMBORNE ET HVIVS 
ECCLESIAE OFFICIALIS ANNO AB INCARNACIONE DNI : 
MIL: OCTAG: TRICES: SEPTMO : 

On the north side, over the tomb of Gertrude, 
Marchioness of Exeter, an heraldic window, presented 
by the Right Hon. the Earl of Devon. Inscribed : 

HANC VITRIAM FIERI FECIT GVLIELMVS COVRTENAY DE 
POWDERHAM COMES DEVONIAE : ET FILIVS HENRICI- 
REGINALDI QVON: EXON : EPISC: ANNO AB INCARNA- 
CIONE DNI : mFl : OCTAG : TRICES : NONO. 

On the south side, over the tomb of the Duke and 
Duchess of Somerset, an heraldic window, presented 
by His Grace the Duke of Beaufort. Inscribed : 

NOBIL : VIR HENRICVS DVX BEAVFORTIENS : HANC VITRIAM 
FIERI FECIT Ao. D^i. MDCCCXXXIX. 



STAINED GLASS. a9 

1838. 

HURST. BERKSHIRE. 

THE upper parts of two windows in the church, 
presented by Captain Garth, of Haines Hill. 



ADARE ABBEY. LIMERICK. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF DUNRAVEN. 

FIVE very large windows in the great banqueting- 
hall, containing shields of arms, shewing the descent 
of the family of Wyndham from King Edward I. 
In the centre window, full length portraits of John 
Howard, the first Duke of Norfolk, and of his son-in- 
law. Sir John Wyndham. In the end window is the 
following inscription on a scroll placed between the 
family supporters sustaining banners : " The stained 
glass of these windows, illustrating the pedigree of 
the ancient and noble family of Wyndham, was 
designed and executed by Thomas Willement, of 
London, F.S. A., in the year of our Lord one thousand 
eight hundred and thirty-eight, and erected by 
Wyndham- Henry Wyndham, second Earl of Dun- 
raven, in love and honour of Caroline Wyndham, his 
Countess." 

I 2 



60 WORKS IN 

1838. 
EAST BOURNE. SUSSEX. 

IN the chapel, dedicated to the Blessed Trinity, an 
ornamental window with sacred emblems. Presented 
by Mrs. Henry Ogle. 



KING'S BROMLEY MANOR. 
STAFFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

JOHN NEWTON LANE, ESQ. 

SOME armorial compartments for the windows of 
the great hall. 



ARBORFIELD. BERKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GEORGE DAWSON, ESQ. 

AN heraldic window for the staircase. 



STAINED GLASS. 6t 

1838. 

PRINCETHORPE. WARWICKSHIRE. 

AT the nunnery, in the hall over the entrance, a 
compartment containing the figure of the Virgin and 
infant Jesus. Presented by Miss Lamouroux of 
London. 



ST. PETER'S CHURCH. OXFORD. 

IN the chancel, two ornamental windows, and a 
window on the east side of the north transept, con- 
taining the figure of St. Peter. All three presented 
by the Rev. W. Ker Hamilton. 

Another window in the transept, containing the 
figure of St. Paul ; presented by Thomas Robinson, 
Esq., of Begbroke. 



ALVESTON. WARWICKSHIRE. 

IN the church, an altar window of three compart- 
ments, containing a whole length figure of St. James 
beneath a canopy, with ornamental borders. Pre- 
sented by the Rev. John Lucy, M. A., Rector of 
Hampton Lucy. 



62 WORKS IN 

1838. 
BURGHLEY. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE MOST HON. THE MARQUIS OF EXETER, K. G. 

SEVERAL large heraldic compartments for the 
lower lights of the end and bay windows of the great 
hall. A miscellaneous collection of ancient stained 
glass, portions of which were brought from Tatters- 
hall Castle and Church, in the county of Lincoln, 
arranged to fill the upper parts of the two windows. 



WITTON. LANCASHIRE. 

AN altar window, containing the figure of St. 
Mark, and two ornamental side windows, presented 
to the church by Joseph Fielden, Esq. 



BARBADOES. 

A LARGE circular window for the cathedral, 
occupied by a representation of St. Michael subduing 
the evil spirit. 



STAINED GLASS. 63 

1838. 
RUFFORD ABBEY. NOTTINGHAMSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF SCARBOROUGH. 

TWO heraldic compartments for the windows of 
the library. 



CROM CASTLE. IRELAND. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF ERNE. 

SEVEN heraldic compartments for the bay window 
of the corridor. 



WYKHAM ABBEY. BUCKINGHAMSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. LORD CARRINGTON. 

SEVERAL armorial pannels for the windows of 
the great hall. 



64 WORKS IN 

1838. 
TRINITY CHURCH. ST. BRIDE'S, LONDON. 

Three ornamental windows for the chancel. 



BELGRAVE SQUARE. LONDON. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

JAMES MORRIS, ESQ. 

A HORIZONTAL window, and two side windows 
for the vestibule. 

1839. 

CRESSWELL. NORTHUMBERLAND. 

TWO windows of elaborate patterns for the west 
end of the church. Presented by J. Cresswell Baker, 
Esq. 

CHRIST'S CHURCH, BARNWELL. 

CAMBRIDGESHIRE. 

IN the east window, a large compartment of the 
arms of her present Majesty, within the garter, and 
surmounted by the royal crown. 



STAINED GLASS. 6^ 

1839. 

STROUD. GLOUCESTERSHIRE. 

A WINDOW for the altar end of the church, with 
sacred emblems on an elaborate pattern. Inscribed — 

THE OBLATION OF THE MASTERS AND CHILDREN OF THE 
SCHOOLS OF THIS PARISH. 1838. 



HAZLEBURY. SOMERSETSHIRE. 

AN altar window in the church. Presented by 
Thomas Hoskins, Esq. 



ARMAGH. IRELAND. 

IN the cathedral, three large lancet openings at 
the west end filled by arms and names of some of 
the principal contributors to the restoration of the 
cathedral. In the north transept, a very large window 
containing in the lower openings other shields of the 
arms of contributors, and the upper part occupied by 
the arms, supporters, mitre and badges, of His Grace 
the Primate, and presented to the church by him. 
In the window of the south transept other shields 
of arms. 

K 



06 WORKS IN 

1839. 
CHARLECOTE PARK. WARWICKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

GEORGE LUCY, ESQ. 

IN the bay window of the cabinet of natural 
history at the gardens, the monogram of Lucy, with 
ornaments in the Elizabethan style. 



CREWE HALL. CHESHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON LORD CREWE. 

A LARGE lanthorn light in the great hall, filled 
with ornamental stained glass and borders in a style 
coeval with the mansion. 



UNIVERSITY PRESS. OXFORD. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

MR. THOMAS COMBE. 

AN ornamental compartment in the style of 
James I. for the window of the breakfast-room. 



STAINED GLASS. 67 

1839. 
CUMBERLAND TERRACE. REGENT'S PARK. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

GEORGE POCOCK, ESQ. 

IN the library, a large window containing the arms 
of the descent and alliances of the family on a ground 
of rich mosaic. 



GROCERS' HALL. LONDON. 

In the livery hall, five large oval windows with 
the arms of some of the principal benefactors within 
ornamental frames. On the opposite side in recessed 
pannels five similar glass pannels painted with other 
shields of arms. 



CASTLE ASHBY. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE. 

IN the church, at the east end of the north aisle, 
a window of which the three lower openings are 
occupied by old stained glass fitted and adapted. 
The upper openings, executed to match the style of 
the other part, are filled by sacred emblems and 
devices. The whole was presented to the church by 
the Most Hon. the Marquess of Northampton, P.R. S. 

K 2 



68 WORKS IN 

1839. 
ARLINGTON STREET. WESTMINSTER. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF BEAUFORT. 

IN the entrance hall, one window en grisaille con- 
taining arms and ornaments architecturally arranged. 
Another window, emblazoned with the full arms, 
badges, monagram, &c. of His Grace, on a diapered 
back ground, bordered. 



POWDERHAM CASTLE. DEVONSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF DEVON. 

IN the great banqueting hall, the arms, seals and 
devices of Philip de Courtenay, Emperor of Con- 
stantinople. 

FARNBOROUGH. WARWICKSHIRE. 

TWO windows in the church, containing the arms 
of the convent of LilleshuU, Staffordshire ; and of 
the succeeding patrons of this living. Presented by 
WilHam Holbech, Esq. 



STAINED GLASS. 69 

1839. 

COCKAYNE-HATLEY. BEDFORDSHIRE. 

TWO windows in the chancel of the church ; one 
of them containing a series of arms of the family 
of Cockaine, patrons of the living ; the other, the 
armorial bearings of their successors, of the family 
of Cust. In the heads of these windows are placed 
the badges and crests of the two families. These 
windows were presented to the church, by the Hon. 
and Rev. Henry Cockayne- Cust. 



EASINGTON. COUNTY OF DURHAM. 

OVER the altar of the church, a window of richly 
coloured mosaic patterns. Presented by H. I. Liddell, 
Jun., and Stephen C. Denison,, Esquires, 



ROLLS CHAPEL. LONDON. 

THE full armorial atchievement of the Right Hon. 
Henry Lord Langdale, Master of the Rolls, within 
an ornamental frame, executed for the great west 
window. 



70 WORKS IN 

1839. 
COLDHAM HALL. SUFFOLK. 

THE SEAT OF 

JOHN GAGE ROKEWODE, ESQ. 

DIRECTOR OF THB SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES. 

TWO windows for the great hall, containing the 
armorial bearings of several of the descents of the 
family on a rich quarry ground. 



LITTLEHAMPTON. SUSSEX. 

AT THE RESIDENCE OF 

THE REV. J. DE LA FELD. 

A WINDOW containing the whole length figure 
of St. Cecilia under a rich canopy, with side com- 
partments of armorial bearings. 



WYKHAM ABBEY. BUCKINGHAMSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. LORD CARRINGTON. 

AN armorial window placed at the end of the 
cloister. 



STAINED GLASS. 7J 

1839. 
CAPESTHORNE. CHESHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

DA VIES DAVENPORT, ESQ. 

IN the windows of the great hall, some compart- 
ments of foreign stained glass, repaired, releaded, and 
extended in a corresponding style to fill the openings. 

Three entirely new pannels of arms and Elizabethan 
ornaments, done for other windows. 



MELBURY. DORSETSHIRE. 

THE whole of the ancient glass in this church 
repaired, releaded, and arranged to fit the openings 
of the windows. Three new compartments for the 
lower openings of the altar window. The whole 
expense defrayed by the Right Hon. the Earl of 
Ilchester. 



RADLE Y . OXFORDSHIRE. 

AT the west end of the church a window filled 
with a mosaic pattern in rich colours. In the south 
window a mitre and two badges of the family of 
Douglas. The whole presented by George Bowyer, 
Esq. 



ra WORKS IN 

1839. 

SYWELL. NORTHAMPTONSHIRE. 

SOME old foreign glass of an arabesque design, 
extended and fitted to the lower openings of the 
altar window in the church. Sacred emblems, &c. 
executed for the upper part. Presented by the Hon. 
and Rev. H. C. Cust. 

1840. 
CORNISHEAD PRIORY. LANCASHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

J. T. RICHMOND GALE BRADDYLL, ESQ. 

A LARGE window for the end of the banqueting 
hall, containing the figures of St. Augustine, King 
Edward II., John, Baron de Lancaster, and Gundred, 
Countess of Warwick. The side openings occupied 
by shields, containing the arms of the principal 
benefactors to the ancient priory. The upper part 
filled by the figure of the Virgin and child and by 
sacred emblems. 



STAINED GLASS. 78 

1840. 
CROM CASTLE. IRELAND. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF ERNE. 

TWO additional windows for the corridor in 
armorial compartments and frames. 



ALTON TOWERS. STAFFORDSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF SHREWSBURY. 

IN the large octagon saloon, five whole length 
figures of ecclesiastics, members of the family of 
Talbot, under canopies. The upper part of the 
window filled by sacred emblems and devices. 

In the square tower, two windows containing the 
armorial bearings of all those members of the family 
who had been Knights of the Most Noble Order of 
the Garter. 



74 WORKS IN 

1840. 
STIVYCHALE. WARWICKSHIRE. 

THE SEAT OF 

ARTHUR FRANCIS GREGORY, ESQ. 

ON the principal staircase, a large window con- 
taining the arms, supporters, &c. of the present 
proprietor — and shields of matches, shewing his de- 
scent from the ancient families of Segrave, Marmion, 
and Ferrers of Groby. 



LITTLEMOOR. OXFORDSHIRE. 

THREE large lancet windows for the altar end of 
the church, containing the figures of St. Michael, the 
Virgin Mary, St. Nicholas, and the four Evangelists ; 
the general ground of the openings being an elaborate 
pattern in rich colours, within a wide ornamental 
border. In a quatrefoil above, the emblem of the 
descending Spirit. These presented by the Rev. 
J. Rouse, Bloxam, M. A. 

In the west window a small quatrefoil containing 
the emblem of the Trinity. Presented by T. W. 



STAINED GLASS. 



75 



1840. 

CAMBRIDGE. 

TWO very large windows for the ends of the New 
University Library, containing the armorial "bearings 
of the Chancellor, the High Steward, and other 
officers of the University, with their badges of office 
and classical ornaments. Presented chiefly by His 
Grace the Duke of Northumberland, K. G., and by 
the Most Hon. the Marquess Camden, K. G. 




tSbinl^e ano ti)auiK 



University of Caiif omia fcv« -^^ . ^» - 

SOUTHERN REGIONAL LIBRARY FACILITY 

405 Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024-1388 

Return this material to the llt}rary 

from which It was borrowed. 



NON 



ftiWSWBLE 



DUE2WKSPR0I 




ECEIVED 



NK 5398 W7 1840 



L 006 278 463 2 



H-jRtGIONAl. LIBRARi :i: 




A 001 235 943 6