Skip to main content

Full text of "court-test-06.gov.uscourts.dcd.115041"

See other formats

Case 1:05-cv-01034-RMU^,,QaQygiQQtJA-4^,. filed 06/13/2007 Page 1 of 16

TRANSMISSION REPORT

(THU) MAY 3 2007 17:15
BETA

DOCUMENT #

TIME STORED

TIME SENT

DURAT I ON

PAGE tS]

MODE RESULT

4861 391-061

5. 3 17:13

5. 3 I 7 1 1 3

r 26"

13

ECM OK

DESTINATION

DST. TEL #

93015877002 | 93015877002

U.S. Department of Justice
United States Attorney
District of Columbia

Judicinry Center
5'55 Fourth SlNM.
Wit;hmpon, IXC 205J(i

USAO-DC

FAX

Cover

Sukari Hardnett

Fax:

Fax: (301) 587-7002

May 3, 2007

Re:

Short V. Chertoff

Page(s);

17;] including cover

COMMENTS:

From; Rhonda Fields
Phone: 202-514^6970

Defendant's Discovery requests arc attached

FW: Short V,

^M 9W?^%SMl--Mb Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 2 of^l^^ ^ ^^ ^

Fields, Rhonda (USADC)

From: Fields, Rhonda (USADC)

Sent; Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:43 AM

To: Fields, Rhonda (USADC); 's.hardnett@verizon,net'

Have you sent your responses to defendant's requests for discovery to me yet?

From: Rhonda Firelds
Phone: 202-514-6970

COMMENTS:

Notice of Deposition Attached

Case 1 :05-cv-01 034-RMU Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 9 of 1 6

U.S. Department of Justice
United States Attorney
District of Columbia

Judiciofy Center
555 Fourth St. N.W.
Washington, D.C 20530

USAO-DC

FAX

Cover

Sukari Hardnett]

Fax:

301-587-7002

June 6, 2007

Re:

George Short

Page(s):

2 including cover

From: Rhonda Firelds
Phone: 202-514-6970

U.S. ATTORNEY FACSIMILE COMMUNICATION

WARNING: Information attached to this cover sheet is U.S. Government Property,
If you are not the intended recipient of this information, disclosure^ reproduction,
distribution, or use of this information is prohibited. Piease notify the originator
Immediately to arrange for proper disposition.

Case 1 :05-cv-01 034-RMU Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 1 of 1 6

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

GEORGE A. SHORT,

Flaintiff

V.

MICHAEL CHERTOFF, SECRETARY
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF
HOMELAND SECURITY,

Defendant

CivU Action No. 05-01034 (RMU)

NOTICE OF DEPOSITION

To: GEORGE SHORT, Plaintiff
C/O C. Sukari Hardnett
1111 Bonifant Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Fax:(301)587-7002
Email: s.hardnett@verizon.ne

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the defendant will take the deposition of George Short pursuant to Rule 30

(b) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, on oral examination before a notary public or other officer

authorized to administer oaths, via stenography and oral report the U"" day of June, 2007, commencing

at 9:00 a.m. and continuing thereafter until the deposition is completed, at the Office of the United States

Attorney for the District of Columbia, 501 3rd Street, N.W., 4th* Floor, Washington, D.C. 20530.

^qJ^-

RHONDA C. FIELDS
Assistant United States Attorney
Judiciary Center Building
555 4* Street, N.W
Washington, D.C. 20530
202/514-6970

^' ^teSl^'ft^^dl^(?l-"l^*i^6 Document 10-4 Filed 06/13/2007 Page 1 1 ofP^^ 1 of 1

Fields, Rhonda (USADC)

From: Fields, Rhonda (USADQ

Sent Thureday, May 03, 2007 4:21 PM

To: 's.hardnett@veft2Dn.net'

Subject: Short v. Chertsoff CA 05''1034

Attached please find the defendant's first set of interrogatories and document requests « File: our
discovery requesls.pdf »

EXHIBIT

II a

6/13/2007

^' ^^M 9!!^f-6^fb9^-Mj Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 1 2 oft^ ^ ^^ ^

Fields, Rhonda (USADC)

Enclosed you will find the letter that I suggested that you should review.

When we spoke last week, we agreed that you would send to me the responses to defendant's discovery
requests by the end of last week. The response to our discovery requests has not anived. Please e-mail
or fax them to me today. My fax number is 202-514-8780. I need the documents so that 1 can review
them before the deposition of your client on June 1 3,

Fkom: Fields, Rhonda (USADQ

Sent; Tuesday, June 05, 2007 ^:23 PM

To; ■s.handnett@verizon.nfif

Subject: FW: Short v. Chertoff CA 05-103^

Here is the e-mail which was sent to you on May 3, 2007. You also were sent this by fax and regular mail

From: Fields, Rhonda [USADC)
Sent Thursday, May 03, 2007^:21 PM
To: 's.hardr>ett@verizon,nef
Subject: Short v, CtiertofT CA 05-1034

Attached please find the defendant's first set of Interrogatories and document requests « File: our
discovery requests.pdf »

6/13/2007

Case 1 :05-cv-01 034-RMU Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 1 3 of 1 6

LAW OFFICE OF

C. SUKARI HARDNETT

IIU BONIFANT STREET

SILVER SPRING, MARYLAND 20910

s .hardnett@V6rizon.nct

Telephone (301) 587^7001

Facsimile (301) 587-7002

June 10, 2007

VIA FACSIMILE AND ELECTRONIC & US MAIL:

Rhonda C, Fields
Assistant United States Attorney
Judiciary Center Building
555 4* Street, NW
Washington DC 20530

Re: Short v, Chertoff

Civil Action Mo. 05-01034 (RMU)

Dear Ms, Fields:

I am in receipt of the Notice of Deposition that you issued to take the deposition
of the Plaintiff. I was quite surprised to receive your notice, for I informed you on June
6, 2007, that I am not available for depositions on June 13, 2007. I notified you of my
dates of availability by telephone, and you indicated that you woxild get back to me.
Instead at the twelfth hour, you issued a Notice of Deposition for one of the dates that 1
previously informed you that I was not available. Your last minute fex and dehveiy of
the deposition notice (which notably does not have a certificate of service) does not
constitute reasonable notice under Rule 30(b)(1). Please advise whether you will
voluntarily withdraw your notice, or whether I will have to file an emergency motion for
protective order.

If you wish to conduct the deposition of the Plaintiff then, as I already discussed
with you, we will have to file a consent motion to extend the discovery deadlines to
conduct the deposition on one of the dates that I informed you on which I am available. I
also intend to conduct depositions of your client's 30(b)(6) designee and other agents and
representatives.

Please instruct me how you wish to proceed as soon as possible.

Sincerely yours.

C. Sukari Hardnett, Esq.

Case 1:05-cv-01034-RMU *.DaGLi0iaQtm-4...^ Filed 06/13/2007 Page 14 of 16

TRANSMISSION REPORT

(MON) JUN !1 2007 16:56
BETA

DOCUMENT #

TIME STORED

TIME SENT

DURATION

PAGE (S)

MODE

RESULT

4661391 -336

6. I 1 16 : 55

6. 1 1 1 6:55

18"

2

ECM

OK

DESTINATION

5301 5S77002

DST. TEL #

93015877002

U.S. Department of Justice
United Stales Aiiomey
District of Columbia

Judicifffy C€fJter
S55 Fourth Si. NM
Wajfiir^Ofi, D.C 20SiQ

USAO-DC

FAX

Cover

C. Sukari Hardnett

Fax:

(301)587-7002

June 11, 2007

Re;

Short V, Chertoff discovery responses

Page(s):

2 including cover

COMMENTS:

From: Rhonda Fields

Phone: 202-514-6970

Please see attached letter requesting delivery of yoxir responses today

Case 1 :05-cv-01 034-RMU Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 1 5 of 1 6

U,S, Department of Justice
United States Attorney
District of Columbia

Judiciary Center
555 Fourth St. N.W.
Wushingiofty D.C. 20530

From: Rhonda Fields

Phone: 202-514-6970

Please see attached letter requesting delivery of your responses today

U.S. ATTORNEY FACSIMILE COMMUNICATION

WARNING: Information attached to this cover sheet is U.S. Government Property.
If you are not the intended recipient of this information, disclosure, reproduction,
distribution, or use of this information is prohibited. Please notify the originator
Immediately to arrange for proper disposition.

Case 1 :05-cv-01 034-RMU Document 1 0-4 Filed 06/1 3/2007 Page 1 6 of 1 6

U.S. Department of Justice

Jeffrey A, Taylor
United States Attorney

District of Columbia

Judiciary Center
555 Fourth St., N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20530

June 11,2007

C. Sukari Hardnett
1 11 1 Bonifant Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910
ByFax: (301) 587-7002

Re: Short v. Chertoff CA 5-1034

Dear Ms. Hardnett:

As of 3:00 pm on June 1 1 , 2007, I have not received responses to the Interrogatories and
Document Requests served on you on May 3, 2007. Last week we agreed that you would get the
13, 2007, at 9:00 am. You have stated that you will be unavailable for depositions fix)m June 14
until July. Discovery in this case closes on June 22, 2007.

Please PDF or fax your discovery responses to me today. My fax number is 202-5 1 4-
6970* Should you fail to respond to defendant's written discovery requests, I will be forced to
seek action from the Court pursuant to F*R*Civ.P. 37,

Sincerely

By:

JEFFREY A. TAYLOR,
United States Attorney