Skip to main content
BipiPIMIIIIItllW'ir' 'I "11 iii|iiii|| ItliO!
HOW/.RD R. KEMBL6
HOWARD R KEMBLE
'*04 BELMONT AV
HADDONFIELD NJ 08033
Cornell University Library
History of the press in Camden County, N
3 1924 009 629 993
The original of tiiis book is in
tine Cornell University Library.
There are no known copyright restrictions in
the United States on the use of the text.
i.t^ -lu*^/- fci'.uH fjiK_((cr^,„i
NEW JERSET ADVEnnSER.
//in IT ^' ^' I I in II H
CHARLES S. BOYER
President Camden County Historical Society, Life iVIember Gloucester County Historical
Society, Member Pennsylvania and New Jersey Historical Societies
West Jersey Press
SiNNicKSON Chew & Sons Company, Publishers
Camden, N. J.
Bv Charles S. Boyer
Gloucester Parmer 12
American Star 16
Camden Mail 17
West Jersey Mail 20
West Jerseyman 20
West Jersey Bugle 21
West Jersey Press 22
Semi- Weekly Phoenix 29
Camden Democrat 30
Camden Journal 36
Camden Evening Daily 37
New Republic 39
South Jersey Advertiser 40
Camden Sunday Argus 43
Camden Daily Post 43
Camden Spy 45
Youths' Monthly 45
Camden Tribune 46
Camden Sunbeam 46
The Gem 47
The Bee 47
Saturday Evening Express 47
Camden County Courier 48
Camden Daily Courier 50
Camden County Journal 51
New Jersey Coast Pilot 52
Atlantic Coast Guide 52
Camden Echo 53
Camden Daily Telegram 53
The Sunday Call 54
Camden Sunday Times 55
Stockton Advocate 55
Camden Sunday Review 55
Camden Citizen 56
Camden Post-Telegram 57
Morning News 58
Stockton Times 59
The Outlook 60
New Jersey Sand Burr 60
East Side Press 60
Camden Argus 61
New Jersey Temperance Gazette 63
' I ^HE "History of the Press", which appears in
■*• the following pages, was prepared by Mr.
Charles S. Boyer as a part of the "History
of Camden" which he proposes to publish at some
time in the future. The manuscript was so inter-
esting that the publishers of the "West Jersey
Press" requested the privilege of putting it into
book form, that the record of newspaper publish-
ing in this section might be suitably preserved.
It also seemed appropriate that the designing
and printing of this volume should be done in the
book department of the "West Jersey Press", the
only paper now published in Camden as Mr. Boyer
shows, which can trace its ancestry back one hun-
The publication of this book, we, also, feel
to be a more fitting and dignified way of celebrat-
ing a centennial anniversary than by issuing a
special historical edition of the "West Jersey
Press". Such editions, too frequently, are commer-
cialized, and of little or no permanent value.
SiNNicKSON Chew & Sons Co.
Publishers, West Jersey Press.
THE newspaper file is the very fountain
head for local history. It furnishes maps of
the world's progress and records, daily and
hourly, of all that is going on about us. It has been
called "the mirror of the present and the tele-
scope of the distant". Within its covers are por-
trayed, daily or weekly, the events of the commu-
nity, as witnessed by the writer, and even though
they may sometimes be exaggerated, or distorted,
they still bring out facts and incidents which would
otherwise have been lost to posterity or forgotten in
the on-rush of later developments. Let us not for-
get that the history of the nation is made up of the
combined histories of the smallest political units
and that if a community has not provided itself
with an adequate local history, it has not fulfilled
its highest destiny as an integral part of the state or
nation. Nowhere else is there such a gold mine of
historical information as that furnished in the
daily and weekly newspaper.
The local press more clearly reflects the thoughts
and customs of the times than any other record of a
permanent character. Take up the earliest volume
published in Camden and you will see that a large
part of its columns is filled with advertisements.
Two months old foreign news," or week-old home
intelligence, occupies practically all of the remain-
ing space, while strictly local news is given a few
inches at the most. As the examination is continued
you see the local news part gradually expanding,
the editorial column taking on life and the advertis-
ing pages reflecting the business of the community
rather than that of the country at large. These
changes stealthily creep into the newspaper col-
umns in direct ratio to the growth and develop-
ment of the community.
During the past twenty years the writer has been
collecting data relating to the history of Camden
and, in the course of these investigations, has had
occasion to consult the various files of all the avail-
able early newspapers published in Camden. A
careful record was kept of the papers examined
especially as regards their ownership and dates of
founding. In addition, an extensive correspon-
dence was carried on with libraries and historical
societies known to have copies of these papers.
This information is set forth in the following pages
in order that one important phase of our local his-
tory may be available to the future newspaper edi-
tor, the historian and the citizen interested in Cam-
den's rapid growth and progress. This bibliogra-
phy is probably the first one ever compiled in our
community and it is obvious that there may be some
omissions and errors in a work of this kind, espec-
ially in the first attempt. The endeavor has been
to notice every publication which had newspaper
possibilities, but no attempt has been made to list
publications put forth in the interest of individual
church, society or private organizations. The
writer will be pleased to have any errors or correc-
tions communicated to him.
CHAS. S. BOYER.
April 17, 1921.
The history of the press in Camden ante-dates
the incorporation of the city by about nine years.
Of the numerous local papers which have been is-
sued from time to time, the "West Jersey Press" is
the only one now published which can trace its
origin back to the papers begun early in the
nineteenth century. The claim of succession from
ihe original "American Star" to the "West Jersey
Press" is easily traceable step by step. The next
oldest paper in point of years was the "Camden
Democrat," which, however, is no longer pub-
lished. The oldest of the daily papers now pub-
lished is the "Post Telegram," since this newspaper
is the direct descendent of "The Post," whose pub-
lication was begun in 1875.
As in many other cities in the period from 1840-
1860 party strife occupied a prominent place in
the editorial and news columns of the press. In
Camden the bitter feeling between the "Demo-
crats" and "Whigs" was reflected through the
"Camden Democrat," particularly under the
editorship of Charles D. Hineline, and the "Cam-
den Mail," "West Jersey Mail" and "West Jersey-
man," successively, under the able direction of
Judge P. J. Gray. Hineline was a man of pug-
nacious disposition, and his editorials attacking
12 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
the opposition were often vitriolic and fiery
in tenor, while Judge Gray was a word-painter
and his editorials, while; scathing, never reached
the level of unseemly personalities. In a majority
of cases, however, there was always an "esprit de
corps" among these men, which cropped out, even
during the most heated political campaigns. They
were ever ready to extend words of sympathy to a
fellow publisher in distress and, on more than one
occasion, the use of the printing plant of one paper
was offered to its most bitter antagonist, when the
latter's equipment had been destroyed by fire or
THE GLOUCESTER FARMER
The first newspaper published in Camden was
the "Gloucester Farmer", which had originally
been established at Woodbury, the county seat of
Gloucester County, on January i, 1817, by John A.
Crane, a former resident of Essex County. It was
a weekly and, like all papers in the smaller com-
munities, made only a feeble attempt at printing
the local news, or directing public opinion on top-
ics of the day. In January, 18 19, it was moved to
Camden, the headline stating that it was "printed
and published by John A. Crane", while a later
number, dated November 2, 18 19, bears the head-
line "printed by John A. Crane". Isaac Watts
Crane, who had been practicing law in Trenton,
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 1 3
moved to Camden in July, 1819, and soon became
interested with his brother, in the "Farmer", doing
all the editorial work, while John A. Crane, who
was a practical printer, did the press work.
Isaac W. Crane was a native of Essex County
and a graduate of Princeton College in the Class of
1789. He was admitted as an attorney in 1797,
first locating at Salem and then in Bridgetbn and
prior to his coming to Camden had an office in
Trenton. He was a highly educated man and a
lawyer of considerable ability but on account of an
eccentric turn of mind was neither a successful
lawyer nor a brilliant journalist. After severing
his connection with the "Farmer" he returned to
Bridgeton and later became prosecutor of the pleas
for Cumberland county. He resided in Bridgeton
until 1850, when he returned to Essex county where
he died in 1856.
Sometime between November, 18 19, and Sep-
tember, 1820, the ownership passed to Isaac W.
Crane, who associated with him Edward G. Dor-
sey, under the firm name Edward G. Dorsey & Co.
A dispute between these partners soon arose and in
the "Columbian Herald", published at Woodbury,
under date of October 14, 1820, appears a "Notice",
signed by Edward G. Dorsey, announcing the dis-
solution of the firm and also in the same issue an
"Advertisement" of Isaac W. Crane, stating that
"the matters in dispute are now in the hands of
arbitrators". The arbitrators decided in favor of
14 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
the latter, and on December i8, 1820, he sold the
paper to Philip J. Gray. It was now moved back
to Woodbury and combined with the "Columbian
Herald" (established September 28, 1819). On
December 20, 1820, Mr. Gray issued from his
office in Woodbury the first copy of "The Herald
& Gloucester Farmer" as Vol. II, No. 66 of the
Herald and Vol. IV, No. 194 of the Farmer.
Tracing the history of this journal until its final
removal to Camden in 1840, we find that under the
above title the paper was published until Septem-
ber 15, 1824, when the name "Village Herald and
Weekly Advertiser" was adopted, "because of the
confusion and mistakes often occurring in taking
the Herald to be one paper and the Gloucester Far-
mer to be another".
Mr. Gray continued to publish the "Village
Herald" until August 26, 1829, when, in order "to
turn his attention to a business more lucrative", he
sold it to Joseph Sailer. Under the new proprietor
the name was changed to the "Village Herald and
Gloucester Advertiser". The only copy so far lo-
cated is in the New Jersey Historical Society's col-
lection and is dated Woodbury, Wednesday, Sep-
tember 22, 1830.
In 1837, the paper passed into the hands of Wil-
liam Johnson, son of Isaac Johnson, a former sher-
iff of Salem county. It was soon discovered that
the son was not nearly so shrewd a political mana-
ger as the father and the latter, who was the real
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 1 5
owner, after a few years concluded to dispose of
the paper as a "Democratic Stock Concern" to an
association of twenty-five prominent Democrats of
the county, an arrangement which was consummat-
ed early in the year 1840. The first thing the stock-
holders did was to vote its removal f romWoodbury
to Camden, then a part of Gloucester county.
The first number of this newspaper after its re-
moval to Camden, was issued on April 15, 1840,
under the title of the "West Jersey Democrat".*
Its publishers and principal stockholders were
Isaac Bullock, then postmaster of Camden, and
William Johnson. The former soon getting into
trouble with the Government over his post office
accounts, the establishment, in some way, not gen-
erally understood, was turned over to Charles S.
Garrett, who in August, 1840, issued the "Demo-
«crat", as publisher and proprietor and continued
the publication for a few weeks. He then disposed
of it to Samuel Irwin. The Johnsons always main-
tained that they were defrauded out of the owner-
ship of the paper and their friends, who were nu-
merous in the lower part of Gloucester and
throughout Salem county, refused to sanction" the
passing of the title through Garrett to Irwin. The
latter became discouraged and, about the middle of
the year 1841, discontinued the paper and sold the
* The publisher issued a two page prospectus dated April 13, 1840, a copy
of which was offered for sale In the Nelson collection in 1915.
1 6 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
THE AMERICAN STAR
"The American Star", a Whig organ, the second
newspaper published in Camden, and the first one
to maintain under various names a continuous exis-
tence, was established by Samuel Ellis, a former
school master and the first city clerk of Camden.
Its first issue was dated Tuesday, April 17, 1821,
and was a four page, five column paper, twelve
inches by nineteen and one-half inches in size.
At the head of the first column it carried the
following announcement :
"THE AMERICAN STAR
Is published every Tuesday, at Two Dollars per
annum payable half yearly. No subscription will
be received for less than six months, and a failure
to notify a wish to discontinue will be considered^
as a subsequent engagement.
Advertisements inserted three weeks for one
dollar, when not exceeding one square, and contin-
ued weekly for twenty-five cents. Larger adver-
tisements at the same rates".
Under the title, "The American Star," it was
published by Mr. Ellis until December 29, 1824,
when he changed the name to "American Star and
Rural Record" and the day on which it was issued
to Wednesday. Just when Ellis' connection with
this paper ceased is uncertain, but he was still the
owner as late as June 9, 1830, and, together with
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 1 7
his brother, Charles H. Ellis, who had an interest
in the printing ofBce, until December of that year.^
In the latter part of 1830, Isaac H. Porter and
John Wolohon, both of whom had been appren-
tices under Samuel Ellis, issued a prospectus of a
newspaper to be called "The Camden Mail". From
this announcement, we quote the following to show
their ideas in bringing out another publication:
"Our observation and experience have convinced
us, that exclusive devotion to any one party, does
not afford the widest field of usefulness for a news-
paper. We consider that a public journal belongs
to the whole public, and not any part of it; and
that its paramount duties and best efforts are due
to society in general and to the weal of the
whole community and country. Under guidance
of these principles, our paper will be neutral in
all mere party conflicts ; and in our whole manage-
ment of it, we will endeavor to be impartial".
THE CAMDEN MAIL AND NEW JERSEY ADVERTISER
Shortly after issuing this prospectus they pur-
chased "The American Star and Rural Record"
and on January 5, 1831, issued the first number of
"American Star and New Jersey Advertiser", as
Volume I, No. i. In an editorial in this issue they
"The principles under which it will be conducted
are expressed in the Prospectus which we lately
* After Ellis sold the "American Star and Rural Record" he continued the
printing business, but finally entered the employ of Judge Gray, and died about
1 8 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
issued for a newspaper, to be entitled "The Camden
Mail and New Jersey Advertiser". * * * *
The project of a newspaper, has, of course been
"It is our intention to have issued the paper
upon a larger sheet than this (125^ X2i), but in
consequence of our purchase, we will be obliged,
for the present, to confine our limits to the usual
size of the "Star", as our press will not print a
On January 8, 1828, Dr. John R. Sickler issued
a broadside containing the prospectus of a weekly
paper to be issued in Camden under the title of
"The New Jersey Statesman".* The paper was to
be a Jacksonian organ, with the object of clearing
up "the unfounded aspersion which veniality and
misconception have cast upon General Jackson"
and to "point out the grounds for his preference
to Mr. Adams". The paper does not appear to
have been issued. At a later date. Dr. Sickler pur-
chased the interest of Isaac Porter in the "Camden
Mail" and soon associated with him John Wolo-
hon. It was continued by Sickler and Wolohon
under the name of the "Camden Mail and New
The only copy under this management, so far
located is in the collection of the New Jersey His-
torical Society and is dated April 18, 1832. It is
a four page, six column paper, very neatly printed
♦ A copy of this broadside was sold at auction in New York on February 4.
1916, and tlie writer liad the opportunity to verify the above information.
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 1 9
and a good specimen of early typography. The
partnership of Sickler & Wolohon did not last
very long, Dr. Sickler buying out Wolohon's inter-
est and publishing the journal under his own name.
Exactly when Dr. Sickler purchased the inter-
est of Wolohon is not known, but it was prior to
September, 1832, for on the twenty-eighth of that
month Wolohon made an assignment for the bene-
fit of his creditors to Isaac H. Porter, which did
not in any way affect the credit, or business of the
"Mail". The only known copy of the paper as
published by J. R. Sickler is dated January 30,
1833. In a short time a Mr. Ham purchased the
interest of Dr. Sickler, but whether the latter issued
the paper regularly, or only occasionally, is un-
known. Dr. Sickler announced in 1834 that he had
opened a drug and medicine store at his residence
on Market street between Third and Fourth, from
which we may infer that his newspaper connections
had been entirely severed.
CAMDEN MAIL AND NEW JERSEY ADVERTISER
On April 2, 1834, Philip J. Gray, returning to
journalism in Camden, bought the "Camden Mail
and New Jersey Advertiser" and continued its pub-
lication under the same name, with the interrup-
tion of some months between the transfer from Mr.
Ham to Judge Gray, during which time it was
only issued at infrequent periods.
20 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
One year later Mr. Gray adopted a new title
for his paper, namely "Camden Mail and General
Advertiser". This was the first number of the
second year under the new management and was
continued under this name until August 27, 1845.
The purposes and objects of the paper are so
clearly stated in the headline as to need no further
words of explanation. It read, "Tis our aim to in-
terest the mechanic and manufacturer — to enliven
the fireside of the farmer — and to note the changes
in the political and moral world".
THE WEST JERSEY MAIL
From September 3, 1845, to February 24, 1847,
the paper was issued under the title "The West
Jersey Mail", The owner having bought new
type decided to enlarge the form and "at the
instance of friends", also concluded to change the
name of the publication.
THE WEST JERSEYMAN
The paper under the new title "The West Jersey-
man" was issued March 3, 1847, and this name
was retained so long as Judge Gray continued to
be its editor and publisher.
In the Prospectus of "The West Jerseyman", the
"The Paper will be devoted to the full and free
discussion of the topics of the day, and will sustain
c ilOcst 3cr5cij Mhil
Sliest Ifrsfj %«%U.
West Jersey Press
N fit* (riK) Vt*s tota ^tm ChireB ^oti fluttenngs
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 21
the supremacy of the laws, the maintenance of
public morals, and those conservative principles
which distinguish the great Whig Party of the
In the first issue of The West Jerseyman, Mr.
Gray announced that he had "associated with him
George W. Hartshorn, a young man whose liter-
ary attainments and business qualities cannot fail
to add to the interest and usefulness of the paper".
The name of P. J. Gray, however, continued to be
printed on the title page, while the firm name of
Gray & Hartshorn appeared at the head of the
editorial page. This partnership lasted until the
issue of May i, 1848.
In January, 1849, William Elliot became a part-
ner with Gray in this publication and beginning
July I, the price of the paper was raised to two
dollars per year. This partnership continued until
December 31, 1850. During the ownership of the
"West Jerseyman" by Judge Gray, his two sons,
Samuel H. Grey, afterwards Attorney General of
New Jersey, and Martin P. Grey, who was later
one of the Vice Chancellors of the State, were asso-
ciated with this paper for some time.
THE WEST JERSEY BUGLE
The "West Jerseyman" was sold to Thomas M.
Newbould of New York, who on January 4, i860,
issued the first number of the "West Jersey Bugle".
Newbould in his announcement said,
22 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
"We have thought fit to call our paper the "West
Jersey Bugle", a title in consonance with its con-
templated brisk and lively character, and all efforts
will be used to make it a journal entertaining and
unexceptionable to every family, and stirring in the
politics attendant upon the present agitation of
our country. Our little Bugle sounds a charge
against the present National Administration, and
though we emphatically plant ourselves in opposi-
tion to Slavery Expansion, yet we utterly eschew
the system of bitterness practised by partizan jour-
nals, and wish to conduct all controversy in a spirit
of conciliation and kindly feeling".
D. W. Belisle in a lecture in 1866 said, "He
blew his 'Bugle' for a short time, when it was dis-
covered that his vim was not acceptable to the
Republican Party, whose organ it was, and Mr.
Newbould retired". Newbould, when he retired
from the West Jersey Bugle, took up the publica-
tion of the Philadelphia "Star", a weekly paper.
WEST JERSEY PRESS
Newbould was succeeded by Dr. S. C. Harbert
of Salem, who on April 25, i860, adopted the name
"West Jersey Press". In taking over the "West
Jersey Bugle" Dr. Harbert said :
"We start A No. i, with new title — new type — ■
new everything — and have not awaited the slow
process of issuing a prospectus.
A necessity was believed to exist for the pub^
lication of a paper, located at a convenient point
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 23
for obtaining full information on the current
events of the day, to circulate throughout the eight
lower counties of West Jersey; to meet this appar-
ent want, and to advocate especially the political
and general interests of the First and Second Con-
gressional Districts, has prompted us to undertake
When the call for volunteers was issued by Pres-
ident Lincoln, Dr. Harbert immediately offered his
services and left Camden on August 21, 1861.
Judge Gray took temporary charge of the paper
until October when Charles Githens, a practical
printer of Philadelphia, bought an interest in the
West Jersey Press, which was now conducted un-
der the firm name of Harbert and Githens, until
May, 1862, when it was purchased by Mr. Sinnick-
son Chew. The first issue under the new proprie-
tor is dated May 7. This paper has remained in
the Chew family since that date and is now pub-
lished by the Sinnickson Chew & Sons Company.
Sinnickson Chew was the editor from 1862 until
the time of his death in 1901, when Harry C. Dole
became the editor. Mr. Dole died on July 8th,
1920, and since that time the editorial manage-
ment has been in the hands of William H. Chew,
the eldest son of Sinnickson Chew.
Sinnickson Chew learned the newspaper busi-
ness in the Woodbury "Constitution" office, and af-
ter serving his apprenticeship returned to Salem
where he became connected with the "National
24 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
Standard". In a short time he and William S.
Sharp purchased that paper and continued its pub-
lication until 1862, when he bought the "West Jer-
sey Press". The first steam driven printing press
in Camden was installed by Mr. Chew shortly after
he assumed control of the West Jersey Press and
for years after printing presses of this type ceased
to be a novelty, the slogan "steam printing house"
was used by this establishment.
From a paper of purely local influence, Mr.
Chew soon by his forcible editorials and fair treat-
ment of both friend and foe made his new ven-
ture one of the leading papers in South Jersey. He
was a clear and lucid writer with a perfect com-
mand of the English language which he always
used with telling effect. During the Civil War he
was bitter towards the opposition party and his
scathing criticisms of the editorial policy of the
"Camden Democrat" brought forth many tart and
caustic paragraphs in both papers. In the "Demo-
crat" of June 4, 1862, Morris R. Hamilton, reply-
ing to one of these articles said :
"Mr. Sinnickson Chew of the West Jersey Press
volunteers to furnish an epitaph and not wishing
to be excelled in editorial courtesy, even in so grave
a matter, we undertake to return the favor by sub-
mitting the following: 'Here lies one who
s-chew-d the Constitution and died of nigger on
the brain' ".
The office of the "American Star" was at first
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 25
on Whitehall, now Front, street between Cooper
and Market streets, and was later removed to the
southwest corner of Second and Market streets oc-
cupying the second story of a frame building which
formerly stood on the site of the brick building, af-
terwards used as a drug store by James C. Morgan,
and later by Simeon Ringle. At that time Charles
H. Ellis occupied the first story of this building as
a store. The "Camden Mail" under Porter &
Wolohon was also located in this building and re-
mained there until January, 1833, when the office
was moved to the second building on the west side
of Second street below Federal, under Mr. Ham.
For a short time, under P. J. Gray, the office was
located in the old "Arcade" building, at the south-
west corner of Second and Plum (Arch) streets,
but in September, 1834, was moved to the frame
building on Front street two doors above "Toy's"
Hotel, where it remained until December i, 1852.
On the latter date the office was moved to the "new
building" on the south side of Market street, three
doors above the West Jersey Hotel. After several
changes from the north to the south side of Market
street, west of Front, the West Jersey Press was, in
1872, finally located in its own building at the
northeast corner of Front and Market streets. In
1913, the building at Nos. 37 and 39 North Third
street was erected and has since been occupied by
About the year 1831, a paper was established in
26 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
Camden under the title "Camden Republican".
The venture proving unsuccessful it was placed in
the hands of a receiver who sold it to Josiah Har-
rison, at that time city clerk and later the Law Re-
porter of the State of New Jersey. By the latter
the name was changed to "National Republican,"
and issued as a Democratic organ in opposition to
the "Camden Mail". Mr. Harrison, not being a
practical printer, placed the publication in the
hands of "two good workmen", E. E. Camp and
A. S. Barber. About 1833, these two men left
to establish the Woodbury "Constitution", and
Harrison continued the publication until May 27,
1843, when it was discontinued, because its pro-
prietor was moving to Salem. In the following
November, Franklin Ferguson revived the enter-
prise under the title "National Republican". Pre-
vious to coming to Camden, Mr. Ferguson had
edited and published "The Washington Whig" in
Bridgeton. The new owner soon changed the pa-
per to a "Native American" organ, entitled "The
Tribune", better known, however, as "The Two
Thousand Gratis", from the fact that the adver-
tisers were assured the circulation had reached this
figure and to nriake good his word a large part of
every issue was given away. After publishing
seven numbers, Ferguson became discouraged and
sold his establishment. He later established "The
Dollar Weekly" at Burlington.
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 27
Charles D. Hineline* started the "American
Eagle" in the "building lately occupied by the
Post Office, adjoining the Railroad Hotel". He
is supposed to have been the purchaser of a large
part of the equipment of the "Tribune". The first
number was dated Wednesday, September 29,
1842, and the second number was issued on Satur-
day, October 8, after which time the latter day
was the regular one for its publication. It was
printed on a sheet 13 x 20 inches, four pages, five
columns to a page and the last issue under this
title was dated December 24, 1842, as No. 13. Mr.
Hineline was soon joined by Henry Curts, a prac-
tical printer, and on December 31, 1842, the first
issue of the "American Eagle and West Jersey Ad-
vertiser" was published by Hineline & Curts, as
Vol. II, No. I, Whole No. 14. The last number
put out by this firm was dated May 18, 1844.
Hineline, having sold out his one-half interest in
the plant to Henry Bosse, moved West. The issue
of June 15 was published by Bosse & Curts and this
* Charles D. Hineline was born in Northumberland County, Pa., in 1817,
and died in Philadelphia on May 9, 1862. He entered the newspaper field
on the "German Democrat" of Easton, Pa., in 1S29, subsequently going to
Philadelphia "Inquirer," under Jesper Harding, and coming to this city to
start the "American Eagle." He soon emigrated to Indiana where he began
publishing the New Albany "Ledger." He came" back to Camden in 1846 and,
as noted elsewhere, started the "Camden Democrat," which he later sold to
Colonel Isaac Mickle, and started the Phillipsburg (N. J.) "Standard." His
next venture was the "Spirit of '76," which was afterwards merged with the
"Democrat." Under President Buchanan, Hineline held a position in the Phila-
delphia Custom House. He later started the Philadelphia "American Mechanic"
in connection with a Mr. Van Nortwick. His next move was the "Pennsylvania
State Sentinel" of Harrisburg, where he came into friendly relations with
Governor Packer, who rewarded him for his party fealty by an appointment
as Superintendent of Public Printing. He later came back to Camden, but his
ambition to found further newspapers was gone, and he devoted his time to
reportorial work for several years.
28 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
combination continued until August 17, when on
account of ill-health, Mr. Bosse sold his interest to
Curts. The paper was then continued by Henry
Curts, or Henry Curts & Co., under the same title
until November 23, 1844, when its name was
changed to "Phoenix and Farmers' and Mechan-
Curts, in an editorial in the issue of November
30, 1844, states that the reason for the change in
the title of the paper was that the names of both
the contemporaries in the city corresponded in
some degree with the name of the "American
Eagle and West Jersey Advertiser"; Ferguson's
was called the "Franklin Advertiser", while the
other one ("The Camden Mail") has the affix
"General Advertiser" in its title. This led to much
confusion among his exchanges and letters, which
often were addressed merely "The Advertiser".
Democracy, whose organ his paper was, had re-
cently gone to defeat and it was hoped it would
"rise from the ashes of defeat more vigorous, and,
as we trust, more powerful than ever" — hence the
In January, 1844, Isaac Mickle assumed editor-
ial charge of the "Eagle", and P. J. Gray editor-
ially in the "Mail" of January 10, 1844, said, "We
perceive from the last No. of the American
Eagle, that our esteemed young townsman, Isaac
Mickle, Esq., has assumed the editorial control of
that paper. This connection cannot but be grati-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 29
fying to every one who entertains any regard for
the reputation of the Press of the State". Mickle
continued as editor until December, 1844, when
he announced that private business required his re-
moval to another state and consequently his with-
drawal from all connection with the paper. In the
issue of December 21, 1844, the name of Henry
Curts appeared as both editor and publisher.
Curts continued its publication as a weekly under
the same title for some time and then changed the
name to "T!he Semi-Weekly Phoenix and West
Jersey Democratic Journal".
This change was made in June, 1850* and there
are two copies of this paper in the Library of Con-
gress. During the period when it was published
semi-weekly it was issued on Mondays and Thurs-
days. The size of the paper was loj^ x 16 inches,
of four pages and four columns to a page, and the
price was one cent per number. D. W. Belisle
says it was subsequently published semi-occasion-
ally and finally died a natural death about i860.
The ofKce of the "Phoenix" and of the "Semi-
Weekly Phoenix" was originally at the. south-
west corner of Second and Plum streets ("The Ar-
cade") and later at 413 Federal street.
There was a paper called the "Hickory Club",
edited by Chas. D. Hineline and published by Ed-
ward Chandler. It was. apparently a four page
• "The West Jerseyman," June 19, 1850.
30 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
campaign sheet but the only trace of the paper so
far located is one page of the issue of May 17th,
1844, in the Library of Congress.
Ferguson soon after selling out the "Tribune"
established the "Franklin Advertiser", also known
as the "Dollar Weekly", and continued its publica-
tion until 1846, when C. D. Hineline, who had
again returned to Camden, purchased his interest
and soon changed the name to the "Camden Demo-
crat". Practically nothing would now be known
of the "Franklin Advertiser", were it not for a ref-
erence to it in a contemporary newspaper and the
editorial by Curts above cited as no copies are
known to be in existence. It must, however, have
had some influence in the community, as other-
wise Curts would not have felt constrained to
change the title of his publication in order to avoid
confusion with the "Franklin Advertiser".
The first issue of the "Camden Democrat" which
was a twenty-eight column folio paper, was in No-
In acknowledging receipt of the initial copy,
Judge Gray, in "The West Jersey Mail" expressed
the opinion that while "competition is said to be
* We have been unable to locate a copy of the first issue of the "Democrat"
■which Prowell and others state was dated January 3rd. However, "The West
Jersey Mail" of November 25, 1846, states that it is called upon to announce
the appearance of another paper under the title "Camden Democrat," published
by Charles D. Hineline. As the "Mail" was issued on Wednesdays and the
"Democrat" on Saturdays, it is fair to assume that its first number was dated
November 21, 1846. In the early numbers of the "Camden Democrat" the date
of its establishment is given as 1832, evidently tracing its founding back to
Harrison's "Republican." As the latter was changed to a "Native American"
organ, this claim is not well founded. We have, therefore, assumed that Hine-
line was the original founder of the "Democrat."
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 3 1
the life of trade", this old adage "will better bear
a general rather than a particular application".
"For instance, further competition, where it al-
ready prevails to a ruinous extent, will not 'give
life', but must rather be the death of 'trade'.
Such, we imagine, must be the result produced by
the addition to the number of newspapers already
This was a new enterprise and was located in a
frame building at Front and Federal streets. The
publication office was, however, soon moved to the
second and third floors of the frame building next
door to Joab Scull's grocery store located at the
southwest corner of Second and Federal streets. At
this location it was entirely burned out on June 26,
1 85 1, and was then moved to the frame building at
the eastern end of Laning's Row on Federal street.t
That the adage, "blood is thicker than water", is
true in newspaperdom as well as in the family, was
demonstrated by the fire. About this time the
"West Jerseyman" and the "Democrat" were hav-
ing a heated battle over the political issues of the
day and the discussion grew so warm that it de-
scended to personalities. This naturally engen-
dered bad feeling between the editors, but when
the fire broke out, Mr. Gray's first thought was for
his recent antagonist. In describing the fjre in the
next issue of his paper he said much of the infor-
• "The West Jersey Mail," November 25, 1845.
t "The West Jerseyman," July 2, 1851.
32 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
mation was obtained from others, as he was too
busy trying to save the effects and supplies of the
"Democrat" to personally observe what was tak-
ing place in other parts of the burned area.
During a portion of the time the "Democrat"
wds owned by Mr. Hineline. D. W. Belisle acted
as editor and also assisted in setting type and print-
ing the paper. After they separated, a most bitter
feud sprang up between them, which came near
culminating in a tragedy.
C. D. Hineline sold the paper in April, 1852, to
Colonel Isaac Mickle and upon his death it passed
to his cousin Isaac W. Mickle, who in 1856, took
James M. Cassiday into partnership. In 1857,
John Hood, who had for many years been con-
nected with the "Bridgeton Chronicle", succeeded
Cassiday and the next year (July, 1858) became the
sole owner. Henry L. Bonsall became assistant
editor and foreman of the office under Hood's pro-
prietorship. With the issue of June 2, i860. Hood
was induced to part with the property, and Oscar
D. Douglas became the publisher while Morris R.
Hamilton was the new editor. The latter had been
formerly connected with the Trenton "True Amer-
ican", the New York "National Democrat" and the
New Jersey "Herald". The paper was continued
under the new management without material
changes until the first issue of the Fifteenth Vol-
ume,* on March 2, i86r, when according to a pre-
* How the 15-volume commenced on March 2, 1861, we have been unable, tn
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 33
vious announcement, three columns more of read-
ing were provided by increasing the length of the
pages and its appearance was greatly improved by
the aid of new type. Douglas severed his connec-
tion with the "Democrat" in September, 1861, to
take charge of the "Atlantic Democrat" of Egg
Harbor City along with Mr. J. Gifford. During
the management under Hamilton, William Zane
became foreman of the press room and after Mr.
Douglas' retirement Mr. Hamilton's son, Ellis,
took charge of the financial affairs of the paper.
Morris R. Hamilton remained with the "Demo-
crat" until September, 1865, leaving to take charge
of the Newark "Journal", and subsequently be-
came State Librarian. He was one of the best
known journalists among the New Jersey Demo-
cratic editors and his exit from the "Democrat"
was severely felt by his party.
The next editor was Charles N. Pine, who, when
Hineline moved with the "Franklin Advertiser",
from the building at Front and Federal streets,
took possession of it and began the publication of
the "Jersey Blue". The latter paper endorsed the
Whig policies, but does not seem to have made any
material progress and was soon discontinued.
Pine, in 1855, moved to Princeton, Indiana, and
became the editor of the Bureau county "Demo-
crat". He was later appointed postmaster of
Princeton and in 1858 selected as United States
Marshal for the Northern District of Illinois, be-
34 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
coming the leader of the Buchanan Democrats.
His next newspaper venture was as editor of the
Chicago daily "Herald" — an anti-Douglass organ.
Returning to Philadelphia in 1862, he became suc-
cessively editor of the Philadelphia "Bulletin",
Philadelphia "Patriot", "Camden Democrat", and
Philadelphia "Record", and finally moved to Mil-
ford, Pennsylvania, to take charge of the Milford
"Despatch". His last publication was the Port Jer-
vis, New York, "Gazette".
While a brilliant writer, he did not make a suc-
cess of any of the many papers with which he was
connected, as is evidenced by the many changes that
he made during his nearly fifty years in journalism.
After the departure of Pine, "years of gloomy
uncertainty attended the course of the Democrat".
The duty of issuing the paper was assumed by Wil-
liam Zane, a thoroughly practical printer, while
the editorial page was filled up with voluntary con-
tributions from those affiliated with the Democratic
party. This naturally led to an unsettled policy
and resulted in the loss of patronage and influence.
In 1867, Alexander E. Donaldson, formerly of
the "Somerset Messenger", assumed editorial
charge, but he only lived for a few months and the
paper was again largely dependent upon volun-
teers, among whom was John H. Jones, one of the
founders in 1843 of "The Daily Sun" of Philadel-
phia and later the publisher and with Dr. Reynell
Coates, co-editor, of the "American Banner and
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 35
National Defender", the organ of Native Ameri-
canism in West Jersey. It was published in Cam-
den for several years beginning about 1850 and.
subsequently, according to Westcott ScharflE, in
Philadelphia for several months. In 1851-52 it
w^as one of the three official newspapers of the city,
but otherwise little is known of it.
In 1870, '^The Camden Democrat Co-operative
Association" was formed with Thomas McKean,
Isaiah Woolston, James M. Cassiday, Chalkley A.
Albertson, Cooper B. Browning, John Clement,
William Sexton, Richard S. Jenkins, Henry Fred-
ericks and James S. Henry as incorporators. John
H. Jones now became editor and the "Democrat"
again became a power in the city and State and it
was largely through its influence that its editor was
elected Mayor of Camden in 1874. ^^ 1876, May-
or Jones died and, while Morris R. Hamilton then
assumed the editorial direction for a short time, its
power and influence was very short-lived. In 1877,
Dr. Thomas Wescott and Charles G. Dickinson,
large owners of the stock of the Association took
possession and issued the papej under the editorial
charge of Mr. Dickinson and the following year
disposed of it to William B. Wills of the "Mount
Holly Herald", who formed a partnership in 1882
with Samuel W. Semple. They conducted its
affairs under more or less trying conditions until
January i, 1885.
On the latter date -the paper was leased to John
36 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
Carpenter, Sr., of Hunterdon County and John D.
Courier, of Camden. In May, 1885, C. S. Ma-
.grath, formerly editor of the "Cape May Wave",
purchased the interests of Wills & Semple and
continued the publication until June 6, 1908, when
due to lack of support it was discontinued. In a
valedictory editorial over the signature of the pro-
prietor and editor, he said : "Honestly and frankly
the weekly newspaper business and more especially
that of the Democratic brand is on the bum".
The publication office during the sixty odd years
of its existence had been located in various build-
ings. In 1859, the office was on Federal street
opposite "Parsons and Smith's Hotel"; in 1867 at
no Federal street; in 1883 at 94 Federal street,
where it remained until 1889, when it was moved
to 125 Federal street.
In 1855, Chas. D. Hineline established the Phil-
adelphia "Spirit of '76" as a weekly, but after a few
months it was merged into the "Camden Demo-
crat" and at the head of its editorial column the
latter for a number of years carried the two names.
In April, 1857, D. W. Belisle began the publica-
tion of the "Camden Journal" as the organ of the
"straight out" American party. Belisle says of
this publication, "For about five months it was
printed at the office of the "Philadelphia Inquir-
CAMDEN EVENING DAIffl
r.i>M)b\, v J. nnxf, jamjarv h, iHie.
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 37
er", but published in Camden, A law of New
Jersey making it obligatory that legal advertising
shall be done in papers "printed" as well as "pub-
lished" within their respective counties, deprived
me of what printers generally term "fat takes",
and knowing, as I did, the situation I purchased
materials, set up an office and ran the journal from
October, 1857 to April, 1865 — nearly three years of
which as a daily — at which time I sold it to Sin-
nickson Chew, Esq., who merged it into the "West
Jersey Press". The office was on Market street
Belisle was a thorough newspaper man and the
paper published by him was a good example of a
paper published in a small community during the
middle of the last century. Had he been as good a
business man, as he was a journalist, his paper
might have survived to this day. He said of this
venture that "I commenced it in 1857 with a cap-
ital of $25, and worked it until 1865, having ingrat-
iated myself into the affections of the public to
such an extent that I retired from this honorable
position $300 worse off than when I began — that is
I was that much in debt."
CAMDEN EVENING DAILY
The earliest attempt to publish an evening daily
in Camden, and, in fact, the only daily paper in
West Jersey at that time, was made by Philip J.
38 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
Gray. The prospectus of the new daily stated that
"It is to be entirely independent and free from all
political cliques or parties; open to the discussion
of every question of public interest, and especially
and particularly devoted to the development of the
interests of Camden and its surroundings". Judge
Gray was very much of a philosopher and the fol-
lowing meditations on the press and especially his
plea for support of the first Camden Daily are as
applicable today as they were sixty years ago :
"It is scarcely necessary at this day, to elaborate
the value of the Press, since it has become a fixed
institution in every reading community. It is a
want of the human mind that must be met (of the
Yankee mind particularly), for although we are
not a nation of Athenians, there is in us a daily
thirsting for some 'new thing'. The daily intelli-
gence is as necessary an aliment to the mind, as
food is to the body; and as the Penny Press is the
medium which places it within the reach of the
vast body of our population, it becomes a Lever for
good or evil, of incalculable power. But the Lever
must have a Fulcrum — or it cannot work — we ask
for this Fulcrum — give us the support, and there
can be no reason why Camden should not have the
benefit of 'A DAILY', as well as other cities of
similar size in which they have been started."
The "Camden Evening Daily" was started Jan-
uary 4, 1858, with an advertised circulation of 1000.
It was a struggle from the start to get the people
of Camden to see the necessity for such a paper
although it was a spicy and interesting sheet.
A rOLITlCAL LITERARY, ACRICULTUBSL AND FAMILT NEWSPAPER,
\ 1 1 1
^ -Il^^i '^i^.';.
The New Bepubl
c^MOEisT, ^^, j.
• 'S-S.TUJRDAY. r^OV^lr^je,,. ' ' j^
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 39
Judge Gray in the fifth number of the paper
editorially writes: "Our experiment of a Daily
Paper addresses itself, we think, to the interest of
every resident in the community. If we are to be
an independent city, with a center of our own, we
must encourage and sustain these appliances — the
auxiliaries of a city",. The appeal, however, was
in vain and after two months the paper was discon-
tinued, with the issue of March 6.
The paper was a neatly printed sheet, replete
with both national and local news, while its editor-
ials were able and timely. It was a four column,
four page paper, 1 1 J4 x 175^ inches in size, and the
price was fixed at one cent a copy, or three dollars
a year. During the entire time that this newspaper
was issued. Judge Gray was also publishing the
"West Jerseyman", as already noted.
The third attempt at a daily was "The Tribune"
begun in 1875, but its existence extended over the
short period of two weeks.
The "New Republic", a weekly Republican pa-
per, made its initial appearance November 30,
1867, as an eight page, five column sheet, and was
published every Saturday at the southeast corner
of Second and Plum (Arch) streets. It was started
by Henry L. Bonsall as editor and proprietor and
later came into the possession of Henry L. Bonsall,
40 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
James M. Scovel, and T. M. K. Lee, Jr., who were
succeeded by a stock company composed of George
W. Gilbert, John S. Lee and James Warrington.
Eventually the paper came into the hands of Bon-
sall & Carse and was moved to 139 Federal street,
soon after which H. L. Bonsall retired from the
firm to start the "Daily Post". The "New Repub-
lic" was continued by George B. Carse & Co.,
with George M. Robeson, former Secretary of
Navy, as the financial backer, and its office moved
to No. 20 Market street. From the original eight
page paper it finally dwindled by November 17,
1877, to a four page sheet measuring 10J/2 x 14 in-
ches. It was about this time that financial difficul-
ties arose and for several months each issue was of
a different size and printed from a different style of
type. In 1878, Milton P. Peirce became the pub-
lisher and proprietor. John H. Fort was the last
owner of the "New Republic".
"The South Jersey Advertiser" was a weekly
published by Joseph C. Nichols and Jacob C. May-
hew. Its publication was begun in May, 1872, the
office being located in the Test Building, north-
west corner of Second and Federal streets. The
publishers advertised that the paper had a circula-
tion of 5000 copies weekly, but if so most of the
copies must have been distributed free, for there
was not a field for so large a circulation at that
time. One of the distinctive features of its read-
ing columns was a "History of the City of Cam-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 4 1
den", modeled, if not entirely taken from Fisler's
little history. Its life was, however, very short and
in August, 1872, all of its materials and equipment
were sold to the proprietors of the "New Repub-
On January i, 1880, C. E. Linch revived the
"South Jersey Advertiser" as a seven column folio,
devoted to general news. It was continued in Cam-
den until November 15, 1885, when it became the
property of Frank T. Coe, who moved it to Clem-
enton, where it was published until removed to
Lindenwold and issued as a six column quarto. It
was independent in politics and while some atten-
tion was given to local and county news it was con-
tinued after its removal from Camden primarily
as an advertising sheet, and can hardly be classed
as a newspaper.
"The Evening Visitor" was a daily, published
every afternoon, except Sunday, from 106 Market
street, with the object of advancing interest in the
pantographic method of teaching as carried on at
the Philotechnic Institute. All the type setting and
press work was done by the pupils of the Institute.
This paper was a three column, four page sheet,
measuring g}i xii}4 inches. Its first issue, edited
by Rudolphus Bingham was dated January i,
1874, and the publication was continued until No-
vember, 1876. This was the fourth daily paper
* "The West Jersey Press," August 28, 1872.
42 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
published in Camden and when started was the
only daily newspaper in the city.
"The Gloucester Reporter and Weekly" was
first issued in 1873 ^s the "Gloucester City Report-
er of Gloucester City". It was under the editor-
ial charge of Benjamin M. Braker for several years
and in 1885 was purchased by Sickler & Rose, who
continued its publication in Camden and finally
sold it to James M. Fitzgerald, of the "Evening
Telegram". At one time, this paper had a wide
influence and its views on state issues were fre-
In January, 1875, the "Camden Sunday Argus"
made its initial appearance as a four page, seven
column sheet. The editor, publisher and proprie-
tor was John H. Fort and the office located on the
third floor of 106 Market street. At the time this
was the only Sunday paper published in the State
outside of Newark. The paper seems to have made
rapid strides from the start and with the twelfth
number, dated Sunday, April 18, 1875, Fort said
in an editorial that "the Sunday Argus has a larger
circulation than all the city papers combined" and
at the head of the editorial column he made the
further statement that "the circulation of the SUN-
DAY ARGUS is greater than that of any weekly
published in the State of New Jersey". The edi-
tor attempted to take an independent stand, but his
leanings were all towards the Democratic party
and the paper soon became fully identified with the
CAMDEN DAILY IH>ST.
Z\)t Cinnbcn ?cr^t.
|sSjSf„ ^c-idi^i^&^^-^^ofit "
— _ —
■;r,i !■■'■: hix'.iii
Camt)cti Mfe Sdcflxmn,
mumrapir iiwIiMnm siDnwiHOFTimn wj', uiiuii iiic™ iitiiniiiiiriiT «hs sfniiOi id "
fcni!\fmE5 Hniomiisfim imsumsniBi* inaoK^Bosstiii nmifCHiws fiimwiihi huh mm rn
ftDIKHIfrW ^iii„„ ^ ,^ „^ ^^ n— .,.1 OdlMIIIM
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 43
latter's cause. Notwithstanding the statements as
to circulation above quoted, the paper was only
published for about one year, when it was forced to
discontinue for lack of support.
"The Daily Post" was first issued October 2,
1875, by Henry L. Bonsall, who was soon joined by
his son, B. L. Bonsall, and the firm became H. L.
Bonsall & Son. The original office was at 205
Market street, where the type was set, the printing
being done at the "Camden Democrat" office. Af-
ter the "New Republic" was sold out by General
Carse the office of "The Post" was moved to 139
Federal street, where equipment was installed to
do its own press work. In 1886, the Post Printing
and Publishing Company, of which H. L. Bonsall
was president, Joseph M. Engard, treasurer, and
B. L. Bonsall, secretary, took over the plant and
the paper was enlarged to an eight column folio.
In October, 1887, the building at the northeast
corner of Front and Federal streets was erected
and the paper issued from that location. "The
Post" was continued until 1899, when, by a con-
solidation with the "Camden Daily Telegram", it
was merged into the "Camden Post-Telegram".
Henry L. Bonsall came to Camden in 1840, when
only six years old, and at the age of twelve entered
the printing office of the "West Jersey Mail" and
later that of the "Camden Democrat". About
1858, Mr. Bonsall moved to Philadelphia, where
he edited "The American Mechanic" for Hineline
44 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
& Van Nortwick and later to Harrisburg where he
managed the "Pennsylvania State Sentinel". Mr.
Bonsall's next venture was the "United States Me-
chanics' Own" which he moved to New York in
June, i860, and associated with him W. H. Sylvis
and J. S. Cassin. This paper was devoted to Land
Reform and to the interests of the laboring man
and was continued until the out-break of the Civil
War. As an army correspondent for several metro-
politan papers he spent several years with the
Northern troops and at the end of the war returned
to Camden. Feeling that there was a field for
another Republican paper, he established the
"New Republic" with which he continued until
shortly before the founding of "The Daily Post".
He was a bold and forceful writer and possessed
an unbounded vigor and energy. Many of his best
editorials he would compose and set the type at the
same time, a faculty given to few editors.
Between the years 1871 and 1873 there sprung
up all over the country a craze among the young
men to become newspaper editors. This wave
spread to such an extent that there was a National
Amateur Press Association as well as an Eastern
Amateur Association, each having a very respect-
able sized membership. Camden had at one
time seven papers published by amateur editors as
" y/ie iustirirtii-G ileiirr. /or hoppi'tiri* is thf. c'trise of oH action."
7'h<Ti/iir'\ mi/ fan!(.' rrsulf from llur coameiirii '•/ my nuiin-ial lamperament.
VOL. /. Jfi> (Ji'Videu, N. J., Janmuy 1, lS7i!. VOL. 1.^
TROUBLES OF A DRUMMER. Accordingi/, Eataiilun stepped
',.,,+ ,.r f>,p. countiUK-roimi, and
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 45
"The Spy", of which Bartram L. Bonsall was
editor and proprietor, made its first appearance on
January i, 1872. In the first issue the editor said,
"It is hoped that it will not be expected to accom-
plish great things, as it is an amateur publication — ■
or, in other words, a paper run by a boy". It was
originally a four page, two column paper, 5% x
8^ inches, but with the second issue was changed
to an eight page paper and its subscription price
was twenty-five cents a year. The second year the
paper was increased to three columns and the size
of the sheet to gxiij4 inches. During the first
two years the following papers were absorbed by
"The Spy": "American*6tar", of Vineland; "Our
Boys and Girls", of Sharon Hill, Pa. ; "Boy's Rec-
ord", of Philadelphia; and "Jersey Boy", of Cam-
"The Youth's Monthly" was started by John F.
Harned and Chas. H. Felton in January, 1872.
Its publication office was at 616 West street but the
printing was done by Sinnickson Chew. The pa-
per was neatly printed on a 10^x8% sheet of
four pages, three columns to a page, the first three
being filled with reading matter and the last with
advertisements. Its motto was "Perseverance".
At the beginning of its second year the size of the
sheet was enlarged to 12 x ()j4 inches. Felton sev-
ered his connection with the paper in June, 1873,
and after that it was continued by John F. Harned.
In January, 1874, the name was changed to "Cam-
46 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
den Tribune" and its size enlarged to i6>2 x ii>4
inches, four pages of four columns each, and every
issue was embellished with a wood cut of a prom-
inent building or a character. It now had the ap-
pearance of a permanent fixture in the newspaper
world. However, in the issue of December, 1874,
the editor and proprietor presented his "Adieu"
with a brief history of the amateur press in Cam-
"The Camden Sunbeam", edited by Atlie A.
Bingham and H. H. Spencer made its appearance
in December, 1872 and continued until December,
1873. All of the printing was done in its own
ofRce located at the foot or Cooper street.
"The Star of the East" was the product of John
K. R. Hewitt and George Young beginning in
January, 1873 and continuing until June when it
was consolidated with "The Youths' Monthly".
"The Jersey Boy" was published by Benjamin
D. Coley, Jr., and Howard Ireland and lasted from
January, 1873 until August of the year when it
was absorbed by the "Spy" as above noted.
"The Meteor" was put out by Raymond Shill
and Harry Anderson, but its life was a short one
continuing only from April, 1873 until the follow-
ing January. "The Camden Mirror" was issued
by Markley and Read in April, 1873, lasting only a
"The Gem", a two-column, four-page amateur
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 47
paper was published semi-monthly for several
months at 509 Arch street by Lothario Traubel and
Upton S. Jefferys who borrowed most of the type
from Henry Curts, the old-time printer, whose
plant was on Federal street below Fifth. It was
printed on a small hand press. Horace L. Traubel,
later one of Walt Whitman's literary executors,
was a contributor to its columns.
"The Bee" was a daily, published about 1878,
its office being on Second street below Federal.
Little is known of this paper except that it devot-
ed most of its energies to ferreting out items of
personal activities, which were better left unpub-
lished. Its career was, however, short-lived.
"The Saturday Evening Express" was started by
D. W. Belisle, in 1879, as a weekly and was pub-
lished every Saturday from No. 120 Federal
street. The office was moved, in 1881, to No. 434
Federal street, where it remained during Belisle's
editorship. It was purchased by Alexander Schles"
singer in 1884 and issued from the office of "The
Camden County Journal", then located at No. 514
Federal street and subsequently followed the latter
in the various wanderings.
After Thomas C. Hamilton and Upton C. Jef-
ferys had severed their connections with the "Cam-
den Daily Telegram" in 1890 they purchased
"The Saturday Evening Express" from Louis Hol-
ler, who had the year before taken over the "Cam-
48 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
den County Journal" and its affiliated papers.
The publication office was now moved to 21 1 Mar-
ket street, and for years this newspaper was regu-
larly served to its Camden readers, being edited in
Camden, but printed in Philadelphia. Mr. Jef-
ferys, in the course of a few months, surrendered
his interest in the paper to become New Jersey
editor of the "Philadelphia Inquirer". Its editor in
1894, was R. S. Keeler, while in 1895 T. C. Ham-
ilton is again noted as the editor.
Of "The Camden Local News" little seems to
be known, and so far no copy of it has been located.
It made its appearance early in 1882 under the
editorial care of H. E. Caulfield and had its office
at 215 Federal street. In an advertisement which
appeared in Ferris' Camden City Directory for
1882-83 was a cut of a tombstone on which was
the following wording: "Here lies the Camden
Local News — died April 1882 — lack of nourish-
ment — H. R. Caulfield, ex-publisher".
The "Camden County Courier" was started as a
weekly by Charles H. Whitecar, at Haddonfield,
about May, 1878, under the title "Haddonfield
Courier", and moved to Camden in July, 1879.
Whitecar, who was a practical printer and previ-
ously connected with the Camden Daily Post, was
run over by a railroad train in October, 1879 and
after his death the paper was purchased by
William Calhoun and Jacob C. Daubman, who
changed the name to the "Camden County Cour-
Camden County Courier
c-1 CAMDEN DAILY COURIER. r::;d
~l^^ CAMDEN^£AiLYjgOlJRIER 'n.vM
siraifun -ir-r-s-:; lOnutiiaiH
Harding Can/inns Hooaer; i'
Henri- Wallace Appointed
\APPEALS TO FOLLOW
fill f tiil Ifl MllVf \ '^^ ™ SENTENCE OF
*'"'^'*'^*^: JAMES Am SCHUCK
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 49
ier". It was published by them every Saturday
until September, 1880, when the paper was bought
by F. F. Patterson, Sr.
Mr. Patterson was a journalist of the old school,
having received his early training in a country
newspaper office, the Woodbury "Constitution"
and was thoroughly conversant with every stage in
the publication and distribution of a newspaper.
When only twenty-one he purchased the Bridge-
ton "Chronicle". After a few years he sold the
"Chronicle" and purchased the Trenton "True
American", publishing it as a daily and weekly.
In 1866, he removed to Newark and established
the "Newark Evening Courier" which he success-
fully conducted for eight years. His next venture
was the Newark "Sunday Call". Severing his con-
nections with the latter publication he became New
Jersey editor for the "Philadelphia Press", which
he relinquished to take control of the "Camden
County Courier". Notwithstanding his newspaper
activities, Mr. Patterson found time to acceptably
fill several political offices, namely that of Engross-
ing Clerk of the New Jersey Senate and Collector
of the Port of Camden.
The "County Courier" was a nine column, four
page paper, measuring twenty-seven and one-half
inches by twenty-one and one-half inches. It was
particularly a family paper and when weekly news-
papers were recognized as a public necessity enjoy-
ed a large measure of success, both for the skill ex-
so HISTORY OF THE PRESS
ercised in the character of the reading matter and
for its lucid and fearless editorials.
On June 2, 1882, F. F. Patterson, Sr., began the
publication of the "Camden Daily Courier" in
connection with the weekly just mentioned. The
ownership was subsequently transferred to the
Courier Publishing Company, of which, on Feb-
ruary I, 1883, F. F. Patterson, Sr., Thomas C.
Hamilton, and John H. McMurray secured a con-
trolling interest. Originally it consisted of four
pages of six columns each and was gradually ex-
panded to a seven column, six page sheet. In 1888,
V. L. Cavanna, George A. Frey and associates
purchased the Daily Courier and on June i, 1892,
changed it to an eight page form. It continued to
be published at No. 132 Federal street until No-
vember, 1899, when the present Courier Building,
at the northwest corner of Third and Federal
streets, was purchased and re-modeled. On De-
cember II, 1919, it was announced that the stock
of the Courier Publishing Company had been sold
to J. David Stern and Walter L. Tushingham.
The former was at one time publisher of the "New
Brunswick, [N. J.] Times" and came to Camden
from Springfield, Illinois, where he had been pub-
lishing the Springfield "News-Record". Mr. Tush-
ingham had been business manager of the "Cour-
ier" for a number of years. Politically the paper has
always been a staunch advocate of the principles
of the Republican party. Its influence in the com-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 5 1
munity and State has been recogmzed by men
of all parties. As a progressive and up-to-date
newspaper the "Courier" has issued two special
publications advertising the advantages of the city
of Camden. The one issued in 1909 under the ti-
tle "Greater Camden" consisted of 84 pages, 10^2
X 15 inches in size, of historical, industrial, and
municipal data, interspersed with many illustra-
tions, while the publication, dated June, 1917, un-
der the title of "The Story of Camden, New Jer-
sey", consisted of 82 pages, 9X 12 inches in size,
devoted to a "brief resume of the varied institu-
tions and interests which have contributed towards
making Camden, New Jersey, one of the most pro-
gressive cities of the State, and one of the greatest
industrial centers of the world".
"The Society News" was started in 1884 by Alt-
man & Dunbar, but after two years' existence, was
forced to suspend in February, 1886, at which time
its publication office was at 764 Federal street. It
was a bright little paper published in the interest
of the various secret societies. In 1887, the paper
was revived by John Neutze & Co., of 907 South
Fourth street, but only survived for a short time.
In 1888, Neutze began the publication of "The
Wigwam", a semi-monthly paper devoted to news
about the Improved Order of Red Men^ The
publication was continued until 1890.
"The Camden County Journal", a German
weekly, was started by Alexander Schlessinger in
52 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
March, 1883, to meet the want which began to be
felt by the large German population for a paper
printed in their own language. It was at first lo-
cated at No. 514 Federal street. In 1889, Louis
Holler became proprietor and editor. Under Hol-
ler the paper wielded considerable influence
among the Germans of the city and its editor was
rewarded with several appointments at the hands
of the Republican Party, whose doctrines he ad-
vocated. In 1913, Holler decided to go West and
the paper was sold to Otto Erdlen, who has since
continued its publication. It is an eight page seven
column sheet, 17^4 x 23^ inches in size.
"The New Jersey Coast Pilot" was founded by
Theo. F. Rose, its first issue being dated Saturday,
March 4, 1882, and was published continuously
under Rose and later under George M. Wallace
Shortly after Rose retired from the "New Jersey
Coast Pilot" he established the "Atlantic Coast Pi-
lot", the first issue of which appeared in December,
1887. In the announcement of the publication.
Rose stated that the paper "was published for the
development and advancement of the numerous
resources of the Atlantic Seashore Region, espe-
cially of New Jersey". In January, 1888, its title
was changed to "Atlantic Coast Guide". It was a
weekly and was issued every Saturday until the
year 1903, when the daily papers from New York
T H E e A M Dej,^|:§;tt?..
timit!iiim«s« ■- -. . QUAi-i_'j.
S[East Side Press. ^
^SS aOaiB ■"- "^^ "H«. - I PMILADFLPMrx
-AND EAST SIDE PRESS-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 53
and Philadelphia came into this field and limited
the opportunities of a weekly paper.
In 1883, two other attempts were made to start
newspapers in Camden but in neither case was the
publication of long duration. The "Sunday-
Globe", edited by T. C. Hamilton and published
by A. J. Milliette, was projected as an indepen-
dent paper, but survived only a few issues. The
"Morning Journal, in which Judge Charles T.
Reed was interested, lasted only a few weeks dur-
ing the month of November.
In 1884, Alfred A. Holt began the publication
of the "Camden Echo", a weekly paper devoted
primarily to local church news and to the cause of
temperance. Its paid circulation was very small,
but, on account of its being distributed "gratis"
throughout the city, wielded some influence, partic-
ularly in its antagonism to certain political meth-
ods then in vogue. On the death of its editor and
publisher in July, 1909, the paper was abandoned.
Its influence had however, been much curtailed
during the latter years of its existence.
"The Evening Telegram" was first issued Feb-
ruary 24, 1886, by James M. Fitzgerald and Al-
vah M. Smith in the interest of the Democratic
Party. In September, Smith retired from the pa-
per, which was then continued for a short time by
Fitzgerald, when John H. Fort, having acquired a
controlling interest, changed the title to "The
54 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
The paper was taken over in 1888 by the Tele-
gram Publishing Company, with John H. Fort, as
president, Upton S. Jefiferys, as secretary and treas-
urer, and Thomas C. Hamilton as business man-
ager. During the Fort regime it was Democratic
in its politics, but under the new company it be-
came independent. During the next few years
numerous changes in control, business management
and editorial policies took place and as a conse-
quence, its policies were vacillating and its influ-
ence in the community very small. In September,
1894, however, the paper was purchased by a syn-
dicate composed of several Republican Party
leaders, who organized the Camden Daily Tele-
gram Company, and placed F. F. Patterson, Jr. in
charge. One of the first moves of the new manager
was to discard much of the old equipment and in-
stall modern methods and mechanical equipment.
This was the first newspaper in Caniden to be
equipped with typesetting machines.
This was also the first paper in the city to re-
ceive telegraphic news over its own wire, ^s soon
as the enterprise was started a direct wire was run
to Cooper's Point, where it was connected with the
Baltimore and Ohio cables and became a member
of the United Press syndicate.
"The Sunday Call", an Independent paper, was
issued in 1887 with Harry Sheldon as editor at No.
211 Federal street. Its chief feature was a first
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 55
page local political cartoon. "The Call" had a
"The Camden Sunday Times" came forth in
1877 under the editorship of Calvin F. Linch and
was published at the southeast corner of Second
and Arch streets. Its life, however, was a very
"The Stockton Advocate" was started by Charles
E. Boyer as a weekly on September i, 1888. The
plan of the publisher was to issue the paper every
Saturday, but the general printing business, which
was conducted in the same office, then located at
Federal and Arlington streets, was always given
preference and occasionally an issue of the paper
was omitted. The editor had a penchant for poe-
try and styled himself the "Snolligoster poet".
In 1893, it was changed to a daily under the title
of "The Stockton Daily Advocate" and run as a
campaign sheet for a few months. At that time it
was published by W. B. Swan and the office was
located at 12 North Twenty- fifth street.
"The Camden Sunday Review", established
April 15, 1889 by T. N. Patterson, was soon taken
over by F. F. Patterson's Sons and continued as an
Independent Republican paper. In August, 1892,
the paper was purchesed by a syndicate, financed
by Wm. J. Thompson, and issued with Harry B.
Paul as publisher. It was at once changed to a
daily with the title "Daily Review", under the pro-
prietorship of the Review Publishing Company
56 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
and became the recognized Democratic organ of
Camden County. The first editor of the newspaper
was George M. Todd, formerly of the Elizabeth
"Herald", followed by Charles Bowman. The
original issue of the daily was that of September 6,
1892, and consisted of four pages of seven columns
each. After a very short run the plant of the "Re-
view" was levied upon by the Sheriff on February
13, 1894, and was sold to William J. Paul, who con-
tinued the paper until about 1900.
"The Camden Citizen" was established by Jo-
seph H. Hall and Edward M. Benton about 1893
at No. 35 Federal street, and finally removed to
the third floor of 207 Market street. Benton, who
was the editor, came here from one of the New
York dailies. He was a brilliant, though erratic,
writer, and died a few years ago at Townsend's In-
let. About the time the paper was started the bit-
ter fight against the methods of the local political
regime then in power began. The "Camden Citi-
zen" was devoted to the interests of the Citizen's
League and had a stormy and perilous career, fi-
nally culminating in a libel suit on account of an
article which it had published attacking some
members of the opposite faction. This suit result-
ed in the conviction and sentence of the proprie-
tors, but through the efforts of one of those libelled,
they were both pardoned by the Governor. On Feb-
ruary 8, 1896, the title of the paper was changed
by permission of the Court to the "Camden Inde-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 57
About this time a stock company known as the
Independent Publishing Company was formed and
took over the "Camden Independent". The men
who composed this company were associated with
the "Committee of One Hundred", a political or-
ganization formed in opposition to the political
faction then in control of municipal affairs. The
new company immediately enlarged the plant and
moved it to No. 32 South Fourth Street.
The manager and editor of the "Independent"
was Harry C. Kramer who was assisted by George
M. Cline. The paper was issued from 1896 to 1899,
when it died a natural death. The last manager
was S. Clement Hornblower.
In June, 1899, the Post- Telegram Company was
organized by H. L. Bonsall, Joseph M. Engard,
Francis F. Patterson, Jr., and Theo. N. Patterson
and took over "The Post" and the "Camden Daily
Telegram". These two papers were combined in-
to the "Camden Post-Telegram", of which the first
issue was dated June 12, 1899. This paper through
its absorbtion of "The Post" is, with one exception,
the oldest daily newspaper published continuously
south of Trenton. H. L. Bonsall, who had been
editor of "The Post" from its beginning and contin-
ued in that position on the "Post-Telegram", died
in 1900 and was succeeded as editor by Upton S.
Jefferys, then New Jersey editor of the "Philadel-
phia Inquirer". Mr. Jeflferys also took over Mr.
Bonsall's interest in the Post-Telegram Company.
58 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
Mr. Engard, who had been business manager of
"The Post", also died a few years after the merger.
"The Post- Telegram" wields a wide influence, not
only in the community, but throughout South Jer-
sey and its editorials are extensively quoted by pa-
pers in all parts of the State. Its regular issues are
in 10, 12 or 16 page forms. It has a widely recog-
nized standing as an advocate of Republican prin-
"The Morning News and General Advertiser"
was established by James M. Fitzgerald, who con-
ceived the idea that there was a profitable field for
a daily morning newspaper in Camden. He inter-
ested W. Harry Getty, a prominent Democratic
politician, in the enterprise and conducted the pa-
per in the interests of the Democratic party, being
the only daily paper ever issued in Camden advo-
cating these party principles. The first issues were
printed on a hand press in a little office at the
north-west corner of Kaighn Avenue and Fourth
street. The office was soon moved to No. 125 Fed-
eral street and a company, known as the Facts Pub-
lishing Company, formed by a number of Demo-
cratic politicians with Fitzgerald as president and
Getty as secretary and treasurer. This paper pub-
lished verbatim the testimony in the "Leconey
Trial", which instantly brought it into promin-
ence. The first issue made its appearance early in
1889 and was published for less than two years,
during which tirtie the financial backers lost con-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 59
siderable money. It was the first paper in the city
to install a perfecting press and stereotyping plant
and had not a serious disagreement between Fitz-
gerald and Getty arisen it is probable that the pa-
per could have been placed on a sound financial
"The Independent" was a small two page weekly
which made its first appearance in August, 1892,
with Samuel W. Wheeler as proprietor and edi-
tor. In 1896, its title was changed to "The Inde-
pendent Eagle", so as not to conflict with the "Cam-
den Independent", then issued by those actively
engaged in the "Committee of One Hundred
Fight". For a while the "Independent Eagle" was
issued tri-weekly. In connection with the "Eagle",
Wheeler at another time also published
"Thought", a "magazine for thinkers".
"The Stockton Times" came on the scene as a
weekly under the editorship of George A. Lang.
Its first issue was dated Saturday, February 17,
1894. In 1897, Charles W. Miller became its pro-
prietor and editor and conducted this paper until
1 901, when he was killed in a railroad accident.
His daughter, Lillian, then took charge and con-
tinued its publication for about six months, during
which time she set the type, ran the printing press,
gathered the news and solicited the advertisements
— the editorials being written by Rev. Roland
Ringwalt. She later sold it to John J. Tischner,
who shortly afterwards changed the title to "The
6o HISTORY OF THE PRESS
"The Outlook" was established about 1890 as a
weekly family paper. On August 30, 1900, The
Camden Outlook Company was incorporated by
Mrs. Mary M. Wynne, Mrs. Alice R. Varney,
Mrs. Sophia E. Groff and Mrs. Vida B. Baer.
The new company immediately took over the pub-
lication of "The Outlook", which at one time had
considerable influence as an advocate of the tem-
In 1893, Walter L. Tushingham began the pub-
lication of "The Stockton News", a small weekly
which it was hoped would find a welcome field in
the old town of Stockton. After a short run the
paper was discontinued.
"The New Jersey Sand Burr" was started as a
monthly literary magazine by George Carpenter
Connor in October, 1896. It was printed on a 6 x 9
foot power printing press, one page at a time.
Shortly afterwards a connection was made with
William Miles, as a result of which the paper was
changed to a weekly and issued every Thursday.
In 1902, the title was changed to "The East Side
Press" with Connor as publisher and editor and
John W. Coleman as associate editor and the pub-
lication day changed to Saturday.
Connor had a penchant for poetry and many of
his verses were published in "The Sand Burr" and
afterwards in a book of verse under the title of
About 1906, Connor sold the paper to William
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 6 1
B. Knight, Charles H. Ellis and John A. Coleman,
who had it printed at various offices during the
period that it was issued under their auspices.
During the Connor regime the "East Side Press"
espoused the cause of the "New Idea" party and
was for a time the official organ of that movement
in South Jersey and it was the first paper in this
section to take up this cause.
The paper was purchased by William H. Jef-
ferys on May 27, 1907, and until the issue of No-
vember 2, 1907, was continued under the same
title. On the latter date the name was changed to
"The Camden Argus and East Side Press". When
Jefiferys bought the paper it was a six column, four
page sheet with headline advertisements promi-
nently displayed on the first page. The first change
the new proprietor made was to increase its size to
a seven column, four page paper and in a short
time entirely eliminated display "ads" from the
On February 27, 1909, the sheet was altered to a
seven column, six page paper and the day of pub-
lication changed to Thursday. When Jefiferys
purchased the Review printing office he moved
the publication office to 118 Federal street and
from that time not only edited the paper but did
his own printing. In August, 1920, the plant of
the Argus Printing Company was moved to 102 1-
23 Market street, where increased facilities were
62 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
"The Argosy" was a weekly, issued about 1894,
by H. Nutley Kirkbride. George Carpenter Con-
nor was associated with Kirkbride in this venture.
"The Sun" a "local weekly paper, devoted espe-
cially to the interests of the northeast section of the
city", was begun by Albert Scherneck January 7,
1904. It is a small four page sheet i6x 11 inches
and the reading matter is chiefly made up of
"The Voice of Labor" is a weekly which first
made its appearance in 1910. It is issued by the
Camden County Socialist Party in advocacy of
In 191 1, the Camden Board of Trade decided
upon the publication of a monthly journal "wholly
devoted to the task of spreading abroad informa-
tion about the city of Camden ; about its industries
and achievements in the line of finance and com-
merce and about its great possibilities". The first
issue under the title "Camden Board of Trade
Journal" was dated, January, 191 1. Its name was
later changed to "Chamber of Commerce Journal",
and finally discontinued with the issue of Decem-
"The Camden News" is a small weekly publica-
tion devoted to the uplift of the negro. Its first
issue was dated May 8, 1915, and consisted of a
sheet 7 X 10% inches, four pages and two columns
to a page. Its first editor was the Rev. E. R. Ben-
HISTORY OF THE PRESS 63
nett, while C. N. Green has been the business man-
ager since its first issue.
There have been many other publications from
time to time which have sought public notice, but
which were either short-lived, or mainly devoted to
some special purpose. While it is impossible to
give a complete list of these minor publications
mention will be made of as many as have come
to the attention of the author in searching various
records and files.
"The Reformer and Enterprise' was a Sunday
paper published by James M. Scovel. The first
issue appeared on August 11, 1892.
"The New Jersey Temperance Gazette" of
which Rev. James B. Graw was for a long time
the proprietor and editor, was originally estab-
lished at Vineland in 1869 and moved to Camden
in 1 88 1. A few years later his son, A. C. Graw,
was admitted to partnership. At first, the office
was located at No. no Federal street, but about
1885 the building at No. 131 Federal street was
purchased and equipped for newspaper press
work. In 1910 Graw, Garrigues & Graw succeed-
ed the old firm.
In connection with the printing office of the
"Temperance Gazette", J. B. Graw & Son began
the publication of several other papers among
which were "The Island Heights Herald" in 1885,
and the "Pitman Grove Herald" in 1886. The
latter was taken over by the Pitman Grove Asso-
64 HISTORY OF THE PRESS
ciation in 1890. The latter continued as "Pitman
Review". "The Epworth Advocate" was another
of the Graw publications which, however, in 1893
was issued by the New Jersey Methodist Publish-