Skip to main content

Full text of "Descendants of Captain Samuel Church, of Churchville"

See other formats







ate of 

C. T. 



1, 192 



Digitized by the Internet Archive 

in 2008 with funding from 

Microsoft Corporation 















Capt. Samuel Church . . . . Title 

Mrs. Samuel Church 27 

Abigail Church Smith-Bagg 30 

Rev. Samuel C. Church, D.D 32 

Almira Church Clark 34 

Maria Church Robinson 36 

Fidelia Church Coan 40 

Rev. Jared 0. Church, D.D 42 

Munson Rufus Hill 46 

Hon. Lyman R. Casey 48 

Maria Elinor Church 50 

Charles T. Church 52 

Fidelia Church Alling-Merritt 54 

Dr. Titus Munson Coan and Sons 58 

Sarah E. Coan Waters 60 



In the spring of 1806, Richard and Rebecca (Warner) 
Church came from Massachusetts and with the families 
of their sons Samuel and Elihu established a home in 
West Pultney — now the town of Riga, New York. Rich- 
ard died the following year. If he brought to this West- 
ern New York wilderness a record of his ancestors it 
had been lost long before a grandson of Elihu attempted 
to compile a record of his descendants. Elihu Church, 
Esq., of New York, was engaged on this work at the time 
of his death in 1881, but had been unable to establish the 
parentage of Richard. 

In the summer of 1915 a grandson of Samuel, Mr. 
Charles T. Church of Geneva, N. Y., a widower, without 
children, retired from business and an octogenarian, de- 
termined if possible to bequeath to future generations 
the ancestral line of Richard. 

More than a century had elapsed since the death of 
the Western New York pioneer; and for the purpose of 
attracting the attention of people who had, or could aid 
in obtaining this knowledge, he caused to be inserted in 
the Boston Transcript: 

"$25 REWARD 
For the Following Information: 

The Ancestors of Richard Church 
He married in Springfield, Mass., Rebecca Warner, Feb. 4, 1767. 
His residence is given as Hatfield, and hers as Springfield, Mass. 
He was born in 1741 or possibly 1743. He is the Richard referred 
to in question June 2, 1915, item (*4785)." 

Records of branches of the Church family in America 
had been published; and it had been established that 



there were two pioneers by the name of Richard Church 
who came from England about 1630 and 1636 and were 
known, respectively, as Richard Church of Plymouth and 
Richard Church of Hartford. Several of their descend- 
ants were named Richard. 

After much research and correspondence Richard of 
Riga was found to be the oldest child of Richard the son 
of Samuel Church of Lyme, Conn., and Hannah Church 
the daughter of Richard Church of Hatfield, Mass. Sam- 
uel of Lyme died when his son Richard was but four 
years of age ; and while the latter was a minor he went 
to Worcester County, Mass., and was a resident of 
"Lambstown" (later called Hardwick) in 1737 when he 
conveyed "to Edward Church of Lyme, Conn., all his 
interest in the neck of land belonging to the Twelve Mile 
Island farm which descended to said Richard from the 
estate of his father, Samuel Church, deceased, of Lyme." 
Through the specific wording of deeds in connection with 
the estate of Samuel Church of Lyme, not only has this 
line of Richard been established but also that of Simeon, 
an older son of Samuel, ancestor of Mr. Charles W. 
Church of Waterbury, Conn., author and compiler of 
"Simeon Church of Chester, Conn., and his Descendants." 

When Richard's ancestory had been determined, Mr. 
C. T. Church would gladly have joined with others in 
the work of compiling and publishing a record of the 
descendants of Richard and Rebecca (Warner) Church, 
but he could not alone attempt so great an undertaking 
nor hope to see its completion. He then concluded to 
compile and publish a record of the descendants of Cap- 
tain Samuel Church of Churchville. This would give 
the ancestral line, and would be of assistance to any 
future historian who sought to make a record of the 
descendants of Richard of Hartford. 

That there should be omissions of dates and names in 
a record of Captain Samuel's descendants is a great re- 
gret, but we have no assurance they could be supplied 


were we to defer publication, and already it has been 
delayed too long for Mr. C. T. Church to have had the 
satisfaction of seeing and handling the book. 

The generosity of Mr. Charles W. Church of Water- 
bury, in permitting "the use of anything" in his book, 
has enabled us to publish the common ancestral line from 
Simeon of Chester back to John at Church (1335-1396), 
cf Great Parndon Parish, Manor of Ceround, County of 
Essex, England. 

Valuable assistance has been rendered by Dr. Titus 
M. Coan of New York, Mrs. Mary J. Pierce of Los 
Angeles, Cal., Mrs. Laura B. Lawrence of Charleston, 
Mo., Mrs. M. A. Martin of Springfield, Mass., Mrs. E. 
W. Stoddard and Mr. Loren Clark of Detroit, Mich., Mr. 
Thomas H. Williams of Columbia, Tenn., Miss A. S. 
Church of New York, Miss Lucy Hill of Trenton, Tenn., 
and others who have kindly responded to letters of in- 
quiry or loaned family portraits. 

Etta A. Emens. 

Rochester, N. Y., March 1, 1920. 





(This record is condensed from a report by a genealogist in 
London for Mr. Alonzo Church of Newark, N. J., and is used by 
his pel-mission. References are made to the authorities for all 
the statements in said report. C. W. CHURCH, Waterbury, Conn.) 

JOHN AT CHURCH (1335-1396) 

of Great Parndon Parish, Manor of Geround, Co. of Es- 
sex, is the first of this family so far known. He married 
in 1360 Catherine, daughter of Richard Winchester, who 
died in 1338, holding a third part of the advowson of 
the church and his wife's part of the manor. This John 
died in 1396, holding land in Great Parndon, as appears 
from an inquisition post mortem, held in 20 Rich. II, 
when the names of his two sons are given. 


Robert Chirche, who died in 1420, holding land in Great 
Parndon. His only daughter, Joan, married Richard 
2. John Chyrch. See below. 



JOHN CHYRCH (1365-1450) 

of Leicester is believed to have been identical with the 
above John Chyrch of Lancaster. He was a resident of 
the City of Leicester, and held much property. In 1399 
he was elected Burgess of Parliament, also in 1420, as 



appears from the records of the borough of Leicester. 
In 1402-1422 he was also Mayor of Leicester. 

July 26, 1452, Catherine, daughter of John Church of 
Leicester, left land to celebrate divine service daily for 
the souls of John Church, senior, and Catherine, his wife, 
and John Church, junior, and Agnes, his wife, and Cath- 
erine, their daughter, and Catherine, daughter of John 
Church, senior. 


3. John. See below. 

Catherine, who died before July 26, 1452. 
Robert, a haberdasher of London; father of Thomas, the 



styled "Junior," son of John Church, merchant, had two 
sons, Reynold and John. They were minors at the death 
of their parents. The land in Leicester was conveyed by 
John to Catherine by deed of May 8, 1450. 


son of John and Agnes Church, married in 1496 Mar- 
garet, daughter of Robert Greene of Chester. He had 
lands in Leicester, Nantwich and Castell Camps, near 
Linton. The Nantwich family coat of arms is the frontis- 
piece of the book entitled "Simeon Church of Chester, 
Connecticut, 1708-1792, and his Descendants," compiled 
by Charles Washburn Church of Waterbury, Conn., pub- 
lished in 1914. 


5. Robert, b. 1505; d. 1551. See below. 

John, of Maiden, b. ; d. 1559. 



John Church, son of Reynold and Margaret, was alder- 
man and bailiff of Maiden. He married 1st, Joan Hen- 
kyn; and 2d, Mary, daughter of Edmund Tyrrell, a de- 
scendant of Walter who slew William Rufus. He died 
November 19, 1559. His children were John and Ed- 
mund. John married Margaret, daughter of Rooke 
Greene of Little Sampford, Co. Essex. He died Jan. 
14, 1565. His son Rooke, bap. Apr. 9, 1564, was sur- 
veyor to King James. Edmund married, June 8, 1574, 
Dorothy Green. Prof. A. H. Church says Percy, one 
of his grandsons, was groom of the Privy Chamber in 
1634. The armory of the Maiden branch is almost iden- 
tical with that of Nantwich. 

William, son of Reynold and Margaret, had a son Rich- 
ard who built in 1575 the well-known half-timbered 
house, still standing in Nantwich, styled "Church's Man- 
sion." See Harleian manuscript in British Museum. 
Richard married Margaret, daughter of Roger Wright, 
and died in 1592. Their children were : William, Randle, 
and Isabella. William married 1st, Elizabeth Wright; 
2d, Margaret Broughton. He died in Drayton in 1632. 
Randle, a staunch Royalist, was father of Randle or 
Randolph Church, who was Sargeant-at-Arms to James 
1st in 1624. Isabella married James McBride, a mer- 
chant in Dumfried, Scotland. 



son of Reynold and Margaret, born about 1505, of Castle 
Camps, Cambridgeshire, was counsellor-at-law and stew- 
ard of the Earl of Oxford (Harleian manuscript, 1542.) 
He had two sons, Bartholomew and John. 

Bartholomew Church of Erles Colne, Co. Essex, mar- 
ried Alice Ronner. They had two children, John of Erles 
Colne, and Robert. The Erles Colne branch also had an 



son of Robert Church of Castell Camps, of Sanford, Co. 
Essex, as appears from a Harleian manuscript, married 
Catherine Swan, probably in 1547, and was made free- 
man in that year. He had an armory. Their children 
were John and Thomas. Thomas married Thomazine. 
He was warden of St. Clements, Ipswich, in 1597. They 
had a son Thomas who settled in London and had chil- 
dren baptized in St. James; also son John, who settled 
at Wymingwell, Kent; Charles, who married, June 8, 
1580, Constant Sapcott ; Robert, who married, March 25, 
1509, Elisabeth Barnards; and Richard, who married 
Agnes and died August 24, 1603. 


born about 1548, son of John Church of Samford, Co. 
Essex, married Joan Titerell. The distress of the poor 
during this time was very great and he was appointed 
by the officers of the church one of "two hable persons 
to be gatherers for the poor." He died before November 
4, 1593. 



Ruke married Elinor Tey. His daughter Mary married John 
Jarvis, rector of North Cambridge, Co. Essex. 

Sampson was baptized Oct. 2, 1575, at Canterbury. 

Arnold was baptized Sept. 20, 1576, at Cantei-bury. He had 
a son Richard who married, May 29, 1627, Jane 

Henry married Alice . He died before 1592, leaving a 

son Henry, who married Elizabeth Vassell, daughter 
of John Vassell, an alderman of London and ances- 
tor of the Vassell families in America. 




son of John Church and Joan Titerell, born May 9, 1570, 
married, Dec. 15, 1592, Alice, widow of his brother 
Henry, by general license in the Bishop's Court, London, 
as of St. Martin Ongar, London, merchant tailor. In 
1613 he settled in Braintree, Co. Essex. 


Alice, b. Jan. 12, 1603; married, May 18, 1624, Thomas Green 
of Witham, Co. Essex. 

John, b. May 17, 1607; d. July 15, 1638; married, Sept. 29, 
1629, Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Marsh of Brain- 
tree. No children. 

Henry, b. Nov. 4, 1609; married Browne. No chil- 
9. Richard. See below. 

Arnold, b. March 23, 1611; married Margaret Ward, sister 
of Nathaniel Ward, later of Hartford and Hadley. 


son of Richard and Alice, born Feb. 6, 1610, married, 
May 18, 1627, Anne, daughter of Edward Marsh, of 
Braintree. In 1636 he came to Hartford with Hooker, 
and died in Hadley, Mass., Dec. 16, 1667. 

("What induced him to emigrate, is of course uncertain. Evi- 
dently he came over with his relatives John Marsh, Nathaniel 
Marsh, and Isaac Graves, who all came frcm Braintree, Co. Essex, 
to Hartford.") 








Richard Church, son of Richard and Alice, born in 
London, England, February 6, 1610, married, May 18, 
1627, Anne, daughter of Edward Marsh (1600-Oct. 10, 
1684) of Braintree, Eng. He came to Hartford with 
Hooker in 1636, and drew twelve acres of land in the 
first land division in 1639 ; had a house and land in Burr 
Street and land at the cow pasture in 1640; was viewer 
of chimneys in 1647, and was freed from watching, 
warding and training by the General Court, March 7, 
1654 and 1655. 

He was one of the sixty persons who "at a meeting at 
Goodman Ward's house, April 18, 1659, signed an agree- 
ment to remove themselves and families out of Con- 
necticut into Massachusetts, for the purpose of forming 
the town of Hadley," where he died December 16, 1667. 


2. Edward, b. Feb. 26, 1628; d. Sept. 10, 1704. 
Samuel, b. Marc"* 3, 1629; d. young. 
Mary, b. Nov. 2, 1632. 
John, b. May 9, 1636; d. Oct. 16, 1691. 
Samuel, b. 1636; d. April 13, 1684. 

Edward Church (Richard 1 and Anne), born Feb- 
ruary 26, 1628; married Mary (1637- 

Sept. 30, 1690). He died in Hatfield, Mass., September 
10, 1704. 




Rebecca, b. 1654. 

Mary, b. Sept. 17, 1656; m. Dec. 25, 1679, Phillip Russell. 

John, b. 1658; d. May 19, 1676 (Killed by Indians at Falls 

Fight) . 
3. Samuel, b. Aug. 4, 1663; d. June 24, 1718. 

Naomi, b. May 12, 1666; m. May 11, 1687, Joseph ..godman. 
Sarah, b. May 18, 1670; m. Dec. 3, 1697, William Porter of 

Hannah, b. 1672; m. 1690, Ebenezer Billings. 
Richard, b. Jan. 18, 1675; d. April 4, 1763. 
Hepzibah, b. Dec. 24, 1678; d. Sept. 13, 1745; m. SepClB; 

1696, Samuel Spencer. 

Samuel Church (Edward 2, Richard 1), born August 
4, 1663 ; married Susannah, daughter of Thomas Hunger- 
ford, probably of East Haddam. He died June 24, 1718, 
in Lyme, Connecticut. 


John, b. 1699. 

Mary, b. 1701; d. Dec. 6, 1786; m. June 6, 1719, Ebenezer 

Edward, b. 1703. 
Samuel, b. 1706. 
Simeon, b. 1708; d. Oct. 7, 1792. 
Hannah, b. 1712. 
4. Richard, b. 1714. 


Richard Church (Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1), 
born 1714, Lyme, Conn. ; resident of "Lambtown," later 
called Hardwick, Worcester County, Mass., in 1737, when 
he conveyed "to Edward Church of Lyme, Conn.," all 
his interest "in the neck of land belonging to Twelve 
Mile Island farm which descended to said Richard Church 
from the estate of his father Samuel Church, deceased, 


of Lyme." He married Hannah Church, daughter of 
Richard (Edward 2, Richard 1 ) of Hatfield. 


5. Richard, b. Jan. 23, 1741-2. 
*~ Samuel, b. Aug. 6, 1743. 
Simeon, b. Aug. 13, 1745. 
Mary, b. Feb. 18, 1747-8. 
Susanna, b. March 11, 1749-50. 
Edward, b. Nov. 3, 1752, bap. in Granby, Mass. 
John, b. Nov. 3, 1756, bap. in Granby, Mass. 

Richard Church (Richard 4, Samuel 3, Edivard 2, 
Richard 1) , born in Hardwick, Massachusetts, January 
23, 1741-2 ; married, Feb. 4, 1767, at Springfield, Mass., 
Rebecca Warner of Springfield; his residence given in 
Records of Marriage as Hatfield, Mass. The Town of 
Williamsburgh was taken from Hatfield in 1771, and the 
records of Williamsburgh contain entries of birth of 
their children Lucy, Elihu, Richard and John. Samuel, 
the oldest child, was born in Hatfield, and it is quite 
probable that it was also the birthplace of Miriam and 
Lemuel, and that that portion of Hatfield which became 
the town of Williamsburgh in 1771 contained their home. 
Under the heading "A List of the Names of Members in 
full communion in the Ch h in Williamsburgh and time 
of admission," is the entry "Richard Church & wife. At 
y e incorporation of the Church 3d July, 1771 ;" and in 
the list of Baptisms are the names of their sons Richard 
and John. Before 1783 they had removed to Washing- 
ton, Berkshire County, and united with the church, and 
in its records under entries of Births are found the names 
of their three youngest children: Jesse, Horace and 

In 1806, Richard and Rebecca, with their sons Samuel 
and Elihu, removed to what is now the Town of Riga, 


Monroe County, New York, but then known as West 
Pultney. Richard died November 12, 1807, and is buried 
in Riga Cemetery. 


6. Samuel, b. Dec. 10, 1767; d. Sept. 20, 1850. 

Miriam, b. May 5, 1769; d. Oct. 22, 1832; m. March 4, 1795, 
Aaron Baker (b. Northampton, Hampshire Co., Mass., 
March 19, 1723, died in Pittsfield, Mass., Oct. 8, 1814). 

Lemuel, b. August 1, 1770; probably died according to fam- 
ily tradition at the age of 11. 

Lucy, b. April 17, 1772, Williamsburgh, Mass.; d. Feb. 21, 
1848, Murray, Orleans Co., N. Y.; m. 1st, May 27, 
1792, Apollos Baker (b. Northampton, Mass., March 
16, 1765, died Hopewell, Ontario Co., N. Y., April 9, 
1823) ; m. 2d, Dec. 1826, Hopewell, N. Y., Anson 
Shay, a Baptist minister (died May 19, 1840, North- 
ville, Michigan). 

Elihu, b. March 16, 1774; died July 23, 1854, Riga; m. 1st, 
Oct. 1799, Ontario Co., N. Y., Lucina Belden-Belding 
— (b. Feb. 5, 1774, Conway, Mass., d. Riga, Mon- 
roe Co., N. Y., December 22, 1822) ; m. 2nd, Riga, 
N. Y., May 27, 1823, Charlotte Phelps (widow of 
Matthew Fitch, b. June 24, 1778, died Riga, N. Y., 
Dec. 1, 1854). 

Richard, b. Dec. 2, 1775, Williamsburgh, Mass.; d. Sept. 27, 

1847, Crown Point, Lake Co., Ind.; m. 1804, 

Phelps, Ontario Co., N. Y., Anna Warner, daughter 
of David and Polly (Russell) Warner (b. 1788, Berk- 
shire Co., Mass., died 1855, Napoleon, Jackson Coun- 
ty, Mich.) 

John, b. June 22, 1777, Williamsburgh, Mass.; d. June 22 
(or 20), 1856, Madison, Lake Co., Ohio. 

Hannah, b. April 6, 1780; d. Sept. 1, 1855, Albion, Calhoun 
County, Michigan; m. Alden Darling, b. May 25, 

Jesse, b. Feb. 1783; d. Feb. 2, 1827, Churchville; m. 1803, 
Margery Munson (daughter of Moses and Abigail 
Munson, b. Sept. 7, 1777, Conway, Mass., d. May 22, 
1852, Flint, Mich.) 


Horace, b. Oct. 3, 1785, Washington, Berkshire Co., Mass.; d. 
Hopewell, N. Y., 1861; m. 1st, Barbara Russell; 2nd, 

Clarissa, b. Feb. 22, 1788, Washington, Berkshire Co., Mass.; 
d. Nov. 27, 1855, Rush, Monroe Co., N. Y.; m. March 
7, 1807, Joseph Sibley (b. Feb. 12, 1786, Sand Lake, 
Rensselaer Co., N. Y., d. Jan. 29, 1862, Rush, N. Y.) 







Samuel Church (Richard 5, Richard U, Samuel 3, 
Edward 2, Richard 1, a first settler of Hartford, Con- 
necticut), born in Hatfield, Hampshire County, Massa- 
chusetts, December 10, 1767; married, Sept. 10, 1792, 
Abigail Munson, daughter of Moses and Abigail Mun- 
son (b. March 9, 1771; d. May 5, 1845) ; died Sept. 20, 

Captain Samuel Church, farmer as well as a mill- 
wright, was a man of ceaseless activity, resourceful, 
skillful in the use of tools ; a man's man on the frontier. 
He was a careful, painstaking, thrifty pioneer. His 
various industries in Riga and Churchville — farming, 
grain mill, saw mill, woolen mill, the maintenance of his 
clam and water power, the care of considerable timber 
land as well as that cleared and cultivated which he 
owned and worked — gave him a life of almost ceaseless 
activity, so that he was an old man at the age of sixty-six 
years : about the time the portraits of himself and Mrs. 
Church were painted from which the half-tones in this 
book are produced, the originals being in the custody 
of the Rochester Historical Society. 

The settlement of West Pultney, now Riga, commenced 
under the auspices of Mr. Wadsworth in 1805. In that 
year his handbills had reached Berkshire, Mass., offer- 
ing to exchange wild lands for farms, which induced 
Samuel to come and see the country. His brother Elihu, 
who had emigrated to Phelps, Ontario County, in 1796, 
accompanied him to West Pultney, which they found a 



densely and heavily timbered wilderness, the only oc- 
cupants other than wild beasts being John Smith and 
his surveying party. Together they explored the town- 
ship, were well pleased with it, and in the spring of 
1806 they removed their families to sites they had select- 
ed for their new homes. 

Turner's Pioneer History of the Phelps and Gorham 
Purchase says: "Samuel Church was the founder of the 
settlement at Churchville, where he built the first saw- 
mill in town in 1808 and a grist mill in 1811. He was 
Captain of the first Militia Company organized in Riga, 
was upon the frontier in the war of 1812, and par- 
ticipated with his command in the sortie of Fort Erie." 
This commission, issued by Governor Daniel D. Tompkins 
of the State of New York, on the 22nd of March, 1809, 
now belongs to the Rochester Historical Society. 

In the same History, under the Reminiscences of Henry 
Brewster, we read: 

"At a meeting held to organize a religious society we appointed 
a meeting three Sabbaths in succession at the log house of Amasa 
Frost. On the day appointed for the organization of the society 
Nehemiah Frost was chosen Moderator and myself Secretary. 
Nehemiah Frost, Samuel Church, Amasa Frost, Samuel Baldwin, 
Elihu Church and myself were chosen Trustees. The society was 
called The First Congregational Society of West Pultney in the 
County of Genesee." 

About the year 1831, after a religious revival in the 
neighborhood, he became a member of the Methodist 
Episcopal Church — the same religious denomination 
which licensed his sons to preach, each having conferred 
upon him the degree of Doctor of Divinity, the Rev. 
Dr. Samuel Clemon Church in the North, and the Rev. 
Dr. Jared O. Church in the South. 

At the age of eighty-two, he died at the home of a 
daughter in Union Valley, Cortland County, N. Y., Sept. 
20, 1850, five years after the death of his beloved wife. 


Of the eight children who survived him, his sons were 
Doctors of Divinity in the Methodist Episcopal Church, 
three of his six daughters were wives of clergymen — 
two of whom had gone to foreign mission fields, one to 
Siam and the other to Sandwich now Hawaiian Islands 
— and the others were honored and respected in the com- 
munities in which they lived. His funeral was held at 
Churchville on Sunday, Sept. 22, 1850; sermon by the 
Rev. H. May of the Genesee Conference, from the text 
Luke 2 :29-31 : 

"Now lettest thou thy servant depart, Lord, 
According to thy word, in peace; 
For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, 
Which thou hast prepared before the face of all peoples." 


7. Anna Munson, b. June 14, 1793. 
7-A. Ralph, b. March 7, 1795; d. Feb. 17, 1796. 
7-B. Abigail, b. Dec. 27, 1796. 
7-C. Samuel Clemon, b. April 2, 1799. 
> 7-D. Almira, b. Aug. 7, 1801. 
7-E. Amanda, b. Sept. 27, 1803. 
7-F. Maria, b. Feb. 1, 1807. 
7-G. Fidelia, b. Feb. 17, 1810. 
7-H. Jared Oramond, b. June 12, 1813. 



Anna Munson Church, oldest child of Captain Sam- 
uel and Abigail (Munson) Church, born June 14, 1793, 
Washington, Berkshire County, Massachusetts ; married, 
first, April 1, 1815, Riga, Monroe County, N. Y., Rufus 
Hill (born June 16, 1793, Windsor, Berkshire Co., Mass., 
died January 6, 1831, Riga, N. Y.) ; married, second, 

, 1835, Lyman Casey. She died March 14, 1868, 

in Toledo, Ohio. 


8. Rufus Munson Hill, b. ; d. August, 6, 

1821, "Aged 5 years, 8 months" — inscription on grave- 
stone, Riga, N. Y. 

8-A. Frederick Lyman Hill, b. ; (*Died some- 
time before July 9, 1853, date of death of Maria 
Elinor Church, as per letter of condolence written 
by his mother to Dr. Samuel C. Church. 

8-B. Munson Rufus Hill, b. May 2, 1821; d. June — , 1868, 
Memphis, Tenn. 

8-C. Clemon Church Hill, b. Sept. 26, 1825, Riga, N. Y. 

8-D. Egbert Grandin Hill, b. , 1828, Riga, N. Y. 

d. May 28, 1868, Dyersburgh, Tenn. 

8-E. Lyman Rufus Casey, b. May 6, 1837, York, Livingston 
County, N. Y.; d. Jan. 25, 1914, Washington, D. C. 

*Note: Mrs. Casey, in a letter of condolence to her brother Dr. 
Samuel Clemon Church, after the death of his daughter Maria 
Elinor, wrote: "I have not received such a shock since the death 
of my own beloved Frederick." 


Abigail Church (Capt. Samuel 6, Richard 5, Richard 
U, Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) born December 27, 






1796, at Washington, Berkshire Co., Mass.; married, 
first, July 14, 1813, at Riga, N. Y., Spencer Smith (b. 
1789, Hatfield, Hampshire Co., Mass., died not known 
where; he went to Michigan and was never heard of) ; 
married, second, January, 1844, at Pontiac, Mich., David 
Bagg (born 1781, at Pittsfield, Mass., died 1864, at Pon- 
tiac, Mich.). She died August 21, 1882, at Detroit, Mich. 


8-F. Emma Smith, b. March 28, 1814, Churchville, N. Y.; d. 

Jan. 26, 1881, Detroit, Mich. 
8-G. Ralph Church Smith, b. Aug. 14, 1816, Churchville, N. 

Y.; d. June 6, 1874, Detroit, Mich. 


Samuel Clemon Church, D.D., (Capt. Samuel 6, Rich- 
ard 5, Richard U, Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) , born 
in the town of Washington, Berkshire County, Mass., 
April 2, 1799. In 1806, at the age of seven, he came with 
his parents to the state of New York and settled in what 
was then known as West Pultney, Genesee County, now 
Riga, Monroe County. 

Mr. Church grew up in the big woods of Western New 
York, with the arduous and varied training of a pioneer, 
gaining the experience that prepared him for later life. 
On the opening of the Erie Canal he served for two sum- 
mers as the Captain of the boats Boston and Concord. 
In the year 1829 he was appointed Postmaster at Church- 
ville, N. Y., an office he held until 1837. The quaintly 
worded appointment to office reads as follows: 



Know ye, That confiding in the Integrity, Ability, and Punctu- 
ality of Samuel C. Church I DO APPOINT him a Postmaster, 
and authorize him to execute the duties of that Office at Church- 


ville, in the County of Monroe and State of New York, according 
to the Laws of the United States, and such regulations conform- 
able thereto as he shall receive from me: TO HOLD the said 
Office of Postmaster, and with all the powers, privileges and 
emoluments to the same belonging, during the pleasure of the 
Postmaster General of the United States for the time being. 

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand, and 
caused the seal of this Department to be affixed, at Washington 
City, the fifth day of September in the year of our Lord one 
thousand eight hundred and twenty-nine and of the Independence 
of the United States the fifty-fourth. 

W. T. Barry." 

While still Postmaster, Mr. Church entered the minis- 
try of the Methodist Episcopal Church. We have his 
own testimony of this interesting period of his life in 
a statement made and submitted to the General Confer- 
ence in September, 1868, upon request, with the under- 
standing it should not be used until his death: 

"I, Samuel C. Church, was born in the town of Washington, 
Berkshire County, Massachusetts, April 2d, 1799; came to the 
State of New York with my parents in March, 1806 and settled 
in the town of Riga, then Genesee County. I was converted in 
the M. E. Church in Rochester, April, 1827, and soon after joined 
the M. E. Church. My first license to exhort was signed by Rev. 
B. Williams of the Genesee Conference, dated 1833. I received 
local preacher's license in 1835 signed by Asa Abell, then Presid- 
ing Elder on the Genesee District, Genesee Conference. Joined 
the Genesee Conference on probation at its session in Lockport 
1835, was ordained deacon by Bishop Hedding in 1837, and Elder 
by the same godly man in 1839." 

For thirty-five years Mr. Church met with courage the 
toils, privations and hardships of an itinerant ministry. 
He presided over churches at Mt. Morris, Dansville, Cas- 
tile, Lyndonville, Medina, Oakfield, Le Roy, Spencerport 
and Brockport. In 1846, as he says much to his grief, 
he was appointed Presiding Elder to Buffalo district. In 
1848 he was placed on the Niagara district, and at the 
end of two years he was permitted to return to the work 
he best liked, that of the pastor of a church. 



As a speaker Mr. Church was a forceful and ready 
extemporaneous preacher. He expounded the word so 
convincingly that he built up each church under his care. 
Convinced of a truth he fearlessly expressed his opinions, 
even in the face of overwhelming opposition. He was 
warm hearted, democratic, independent, full of humor. 
This well beloved spiritual leader was an active advocate 
of all reforms and was widely known as a Patriot of 

Dr. Church died at Middleport, N. Y., Feb. 22, 1869, 
and is buried at Churchville. The sense of loss in the 
death of this honored and efficient man was manifest in 
the many sympathetic appreciations of his service to the 
world that after his death came to his family from all 
classes and denominations. 

On January 1, 1828, Samuel Clemon Church was mar- 
ried to Mary Hall Bangs (daughter of Deacon Zenos 
and Ruth (Hall) Bangs, b. July 16, 1804, at Hawley, 
Mass.). Although of a family prominent in the Congre- 
gational Church and zealous workers in its behalf, she 
was not able to accept the stern doctrines of Calvanism 
then prevalent and did not connect herself with any 
church until her removal to Western New York, in 1822, 
when she embraced the more genial faith of the Metho- 
dist Church. In 1834, when Mr. Church became a mem- 
ber of the Genesee Conference, there began for her a life 
filled with opportunity and responsibility. In the labors, 
the joys and triumphs of the itinerant preacher's life she 
did her full part. Faithfully she responded to the de- 
mands made upon her mind and heart, a true comrade 
and helpmeet. Her activity in church work was unfail- 
ing, and when no longer able to do church work she was 
still an inspiration to others through her lively interest. 
Her long and eventful life came to a close in her ninety- 
second year, December 7, 1895. 




8-H. Wesley Brainard, b. March 13, 1829. 

8-1. Mary Baker, b. October 1, 1830; d. Sept. 30, 1831. 

8-J. Maria Elinor, b. April 2, 1832. 

8-K. Charles Titus, b. Oct. 6, 1834. 

8-L. Fidelia, b. June 8, 1836. 


Almira Church (Capt. Samuel 6, Richard 5, Richard 
4, Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) , born August 7, 1801, 
at Washington, Berkshire County, Mass., married Jan. 
8, 1824, at Riga, N. Y., Loren Clark (b. July 28, 1794, 
at Windsor, Conn., d. June 7, 1843, at Byron, N. Y.). 
"Mr. Clark was emphatically a just man — a friend to 
the poor and a liberal contributor to the various benev- 
olent institutions of the day," not the least of which 
was the church of which he had long been a prominent 
active member. He was an enterprising merchant in a 
small town and made semiannual excursions to New 
York. His health had not been good for some years but 
these business trips "had given a spring to his enfeebled 
powers" until that of 1843, when on his return he rapid- 
ly declined and died the 7th of June. Mrs. Clark was 
left with five children, the oldest eighteen and the young- 
est three years of age, and later removed to Detroit, 

She was a woman of sterling character, greatly be- 
loved, of whom a nephew said he thought her the most 
lovable of all his aunts ; and a grandchild's remembrance 
of her is expressed as follows: "Grandmother was very 
good and dignified — never laughed out loud — but was 
just in her views and actions: a true Christian woman. 
I stood in awe of her always — not exactly afraid of her 
but always on my good behavior and afraid of doing 
something that was undignified." 


(From a Portrait by Mark R. Harrison, in 1S61) 


Mrs. Clark died at Detroit, Michigan, Feb. 27, 1881, 
and is buried by the side of her husband in cemetery at 
Byron, N. Y. 


8-M. Henry Oscar, b. Dec. 6, 1824. 

8-N. Samuel Church, b. Aug. 19, 1827. 

8-0. Maria Fidelia, b. July 17, 1830; m. June 21, 1882, at De- 
troit, Mich., Edward L. Dimock; d. April 11, 1906. 
No children. 

8-P. Charles William, b. July 21, 1832; d. Sept. 1, 1833. 

8-Q. Almira Eunice, b. Aug. 4, 1835; d. March 11, 1907, at 
Detroit, Mich. Unmarried. 

8-R. Frederick Loren, b. Aug. 15, 1840. 


Amanda Church, daughter of Captain Samuel and 
Abigail (Munson) Church, born September 27, 1803, 
Washington, Berkshire County, Mass., married, January 
14, 1841, Rev. Shubael Carver (born December 15, 1810, 
Sherburne, Chenango County, N. Y., graduated from 
Oberlin College in 1840, Congregational minister, died 
February 23, 1895, North Bergen, N. Y.) ; died March 
27, 1875, Clarendon, Orleans County, N. Y. 


8-S. Isador M., b. April 19, 1842, Churchville, N. Y.; d. Oct. 10, 
1859, Union Valley, N. Y. 

8-T. Abigail A., b. May 10, 1844, Churchville, N. Y.; d. Sep- 
tember 22, 1863, while a student at Oberlin College, 
Oberlin, Ohio, buried at Union Valley, N. Y. 

8-U. Irving W., b. December 8, 1848, North Pitcher, Chenango 
County, N. Y.; d. July 23, 1850, Union Valley, N. Y. 


Maria Church (Capt. Samuel 6, Richard 5, Richard U, 
Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) , born Feb. 1, 1807, at 
Riga, N. Y., died Jan. 9, 1886, at Brooklyn, N. Y. ; mar- 


ried, April 1, 1833, Rev. Charles Robinson (b. Dec. 30, 
1801, at Lenox, Mass., d. March 3, 1847). 

Maria Church was the first white child born in the 
Town of Riga. She was educated in the best schools of 
Rochester and Canandaigua. While occupied as a teacher 
in the city of Auburn she made the acquaintance of 
Charles Robinson, a student in the Theological Semi- 
nary; after his graduation they were married, April 1, 
1833, and immediately set out for their mission field in 
Siam. A short portion of that long wedding journey was 
made over the first railroad in this country. 

They sailed from Boston as missionaries of the Ameri- 
can Board of Congregational Foreign Missions, and were 
of that missionary company which included Munson and 
Lyman on their fatal journey to Batavia. Nine months 
later Mr. and Mrs. Robinson arrived at Singapore but 
were then unable to take passage for Bangkok and re- 
mained in Singapore several months, not reaching their 
mission field until July 25, 1834. 

Associated with them in their Bangkok home or "Com- 
pound" were the Reverend Drs. Hemenway and Bradley 
and Mrs. Bradley. They had a mission press, and besides 
the Scriptures they published various translations into 
the Siamese language ; among them text-books of arith- 
metic and geography. Mrs. Robinson acquired the lan- 
guage easily and gave much assistance in translating the 
Bible, preparing hymns and tracts, and in organizing 
missionary work. A royal prince of Siam who subse- 
quently became king, was a pupil in English of Mr. Rob- 
inson and very devoted to them. He wrote several let- 
ters to Mrs. Robinson, on her return to America. 

After eleven years of continuous labor, Mr. Robinson 
was sent to Singapore to be treated for a chronic pul- 
monary disease; but instead of the hoped-for improve- 
ment his condition grew worse. The family, now includ- 
ing four young children, left on a Scotch vessel that 



would stop at the island of St. Helena. There they re- 
mained some time waiting for a vessel to bring them 
home; finally a whaling vessel bound for New Bedford, 
Mass., came and took them on, — but only three days out 
from St. Helena, on March 3, 1847, Mr. Robinson died 
and was buried at sea. The ship's Captain read the 
burial service and sang a hymn in which the sailors 

Returning to her native land after an absence of four- 
teen years, Maria Robinson was comparatively a strang- 
er. Her mother had died, her father lived with one of 
his children, and there was no longer her girlhood home. 
For a time she had her little family of four children to- 
gether in a house in Medina which her father gave her, 
but soon her work as teacher took her to the city of 
Rochester. She sold her house, the boys were put in 
schools in New Jersey and Connecticut, and Anna re- 
mained with her mother. She supported herself and 
family by teaching for a number of years : her last post 
being that of principal of the Golden Hill Seminary in 
Bridgeport, Conn. This she quitted to make a home in 
Brooklyn for her children ; and it was a welcoming place 
for Fidelia's children. She took some boarders, and 
served as City Missionary. 

Charles was educated by his uncle Jared O. Church. 
He graduated from Yale College and from the College 
of Physicians and Surgeons in New York, and after the 
Civil War the family went South. Charles died in Jack- 
sonville, Fla., Nov. 20, 1869 ; John was married and liv- 
ing in Brooklyn. Mrs. Robinson, Benham and Anna 
came North and for a time lived in West Troy, while 
Benham traveled in the employ of The Troy Collar Com- 
pany. On a western trip he contracted a cold; he died 
in Indianapolis, Feb. 2, 1872, and was buried in Church- 
ville. Five years later Anna, her only daughter, died 
and of Maria's children John alone remained. His home 


was her home — in which she was the beloved mother and 

In spite of many trials and sorrows, Mrs. Robinson 
always bore herself bravely and kindly. Her mind was 
clear, and she was active to the last. In her seventy- 
seventh year, only a few days before her death, she at- 
tended a Missionary Meeting in Boston. She break- 
fasted with the family on the morning of January 9, 
1886, went to her room and that night died of apoplexy. 
Her Bible lay open upon her table, where she had been 
making notes that day. 

After funeral services in the home her body was taken 
to Churchville for burial by the side of her daughter and 
her son Benham in the family lot reserved by her father, 
Capt. Samuel Church. Her brother-in-law Dr. Shubael 
Carver conducted the services in the Churchville Metho- 
dist Church, and they sang Watts' hymn — the same that 
the kindly sea-captain and sailors had sung at the fun- 
eral of her husband, thirty-nine years before — 

"Hear what the voice from Heaven proclaims 

For all the pious dead, 
Sweet is the savor of their names, 

And soft their sleeping bed." 

Dr. Titus Munson Coan, son of her missionary sister 
Fidelia, writes thus of her in loving tribute : 

"The story of the thirty-nine years following her re- 
turn from Siam was one of heroic effort and cheerful- 
ness under the gravest trials. Those who have suffered 
the least are sometimes the loudest in their complaints; 
Maria Robinson was not one of these. It was a life of 
many sorrows; but she kept her face always skyward 
and smiling. When, at the house of her last surviving 
child, her brave spirit went, it was to a well-won repose. 
None could say more truly than Maria Robinson, 'I have 
fought a good fight ; I have finished my course ; I have 


kept the faith.' She earned a reward in the love of who- 
ever knew that courageous spirit." 


8-V. Rufus Hill Robinson, b. Feb. 1, 1834, Singapore; d. July 

1, 1839, Bangkok, Siam. 
8-W. Charles Church, b. July 15, 1835, Bangkok, Siam; d. 

May 20, 1836, Bangkok, Siam. 
8-X. Charles, b. Oct. 19, 1836, Bangkok, Siam ; d. Nov. 20, 1869, 

Jacksonville, Fla. 
8-Y. John Clark, b. Aug. 22, 1839, Bangkok, Siam. 
8-Z. Frederick Benham, b. Jan. 29, 1842, Bangkok, Siam; d. 

Feb. 12, 1872, Indianapolis, Ind., buried at Church- 

ville, N. Y. 
8-AA. Anna, b. Nov. 2, 1844, Bangkok, Siam; d. May 24, 1877, 

Bergen, N. Y., buried at Churchville, N. Y. 


Fidelia Church (Capt. Samuel 6, Richard 5, Richard 
4, Samuel 3, Edivard 2, Richard 1) , born Feb. 17, 1810, 
at Riga, N. Y., died Sept 29, 1872, at Hilo, Hawaiian Is- 
lands; married, Nov. 3, 1834, Rev. Titus Coan (b. Feb. 
1, 1801, at Killingworth, Conn., died Dec. 1, 1832, at 
Hilo, Hawaii). 

Fidelia was the youngest daughter of Captain Samuel 
and Abigail (Munson) Church, and by many was thought 
to be the most beautiful. She early developed a decided 
taste for learning, and was a student in schools of Roch- 
ester, Palmyra and Canandaigua. 

In 1833 she taught and studied in Rochester. For six 
years she had been betrothed to Titus Coan, then in his 
last term in Auburn Theological Seminary. A month 
before the time set for their marriage he received a let- 
ter from the secretary of the American Board, desiring 
him to go to Patagonia "and spend a couple of years if 
necessary, among the Indians" with a view to establish- 
ing a mission: the Indians being known as farocious 
cannibals. The same day on which the letter was re- 


ceived, with the consent and approval of the Auburn fac- 
ulty he took leave of the Seminary, went to Rochester 
and without comment put the secretary's letter into the 
hand of Fidelia. She read ; tears filled her eyes and for 
a moment she did not speak ; then she took his hand and 
said, "My dear, you must go!" 

He went. Would they ever meet again? There was 
no lack of other suitors ; they were sure that Titus Coan 
would never be seen again. For nine months nothing 
was heard of him. Then suddenly, as if risen from the 
dead, he returned. He made haste to claim his bride 
after all these delays. He found her teaching in Mrs. 
Cooke's Female Seminary at Middlebury, Vermont, and 
taking lessons in Greek from Professor Kitchel ; they 
went to Churchville, were married there on the 3rd of 
November, 1834. The next day they set out by the Erie 
Canal for New York; thence to Boston, and on Decem- 
ber 5, 1834, they sailed on the ship Hellespont for the 
Hawaiian Islands by way of Cape Horn. They arrived 
at Honolulu June 6, 1835, and at Hilo, after many hard- 
ships, July 21st. After long wandering they had found 
their home for life. 

Titus Coan's field comprised the two districts of Hilo 
and Puna, extending one hundred miles along the eastern 
coast of Hawaii. On his parish tours he climbed the 
mountains and swam the torrent streams, or tracked his 
way near to the flaming volcano, while the delicate wife 
took up the tasks not only of housekeeping and matron, 
but established a boarding school for native girls, and 
kept it up for several years — until it became possible to 
obtain elsewhere the instruction which was then only to 
be gained in the home of a foreign teacher. Of all the 
girls who came under her care none returned to her 
idols. Most of them became wives of native preachers 
and teachers, or missionaries to the Melanesian Islands. 

Fidelia Coan had the literary gift. She translated 




many of the best English hymns into the Hawaiian lan- 
guage. The poet Longfellow asked for a copy of her 
translations, and wrote to her daughter a letter of thanks 
and high praise. 

Titus Coan devoted himself ardently to the study of 
the Hawaiian language; he preached his first sermon 
within a few months after his arrival, and in no long 
time gained great power as a speaker. His activities 
were incessant. He made the complete circuit of the 
big island on foot and by canoe ; in ten days during a 
single tour he preached forty-eight times. Everywhere 
the interest grew. He could not move out of doors with- 
out being thronged by people from all quarters. The 
people of whole villages came from miles away and made 
their homes about the mission station. In 1839, during 
a great religious rallying in Hilo, a volcanic wave swept 
into the harbor, carrying death and destruction ; but the 
work went steadily on. From 1838 to 1840 he received 
seven thousand natives into his church, which at one 
time was the largest Protestant communion in the world. 

In 1860 and again in 1867 he made a visiting tour to 
the mission in the Marquesas Islands. For forty years 
he was the chief source of information respecting the 
great volcanos of Kilauea and Mauna Loa. His descrip- 
tions of volcanic phenomena were published in many 
different journals, Silliman's, the American Journal of 
Science, and the Missionary Herald among them, from 
1841 to 1882. His books are biographical : "Adventures 
in Patagonia," and "Life in Hawaii." 

For thirty-seven years the field labors of Titus and 
Fidelia Coan were incessant and uninterrupted. In April, 
1870, at the repeated invitation of the American Board 
of Foreign Missions and the desire of personal friends, 
they visited their native land; coming the more readily 
in the hope of finding a cure for an ailment which had 
long impaired the strength and threatened the life of 


Mrs. Coan. They consulted eminent physicians, but they 
could promise nothing. She spent the winter mostly with 
friends. Titus Coan took no rest. During his eleven 
months "vacation" he addressed 239 audiences in twenty 
states and territories. In 1870 they returned to Hilo, 
to spend their last days with their beloved people. 

The last years of Fidelia's life were of suffering brave- 
ly endured. The end came on the 29th of September, 
1872. Her funeral was held in the native church, and 
people of many nationalities were there, coming through 
a pouring rain and over the muddy roads of Hilo: Eng- 
lish, Scotch, Irish, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, 
American, Chinese and half and quarter castes; but the 
native Hawaiians were the most numerous. Every class 
was represented : merchants, planters, mechanics, pro- 
fessional men, common laborers, and the scholars of all 
the schools. 

She was greatly loved. Years after her death a trav- 
eler who had known her at Hilo — Charles Warren Stod- 
dard of the "South Sea Idjils" — met one of her children. 
"Are you a son of Fidelia Coan?" said he. "Yes." 

"She was a saint," said Mr. Stoddard. 


8-BA. Titus Munson, b. Sept. 27, 1836, Hilo, Hawaii. 

8-CA. Harriet Fidelia, b. Aug. 18, 1839, Hilo, Hawaii; d. July 

23, 1906, Hilo, Hawaii; unmarried. 
8-DA. Sarah Eliza, b. Jan. 26, 1843, Hilo, Hawaii; m. Oct. 5, 

1880, Edward Emerson Waters (died June 14, 1908) ; 

d. March 29, 1916, at New York City, leaving no 

8-EA. Samuel Latimer, b. Jan. 23, 1846, Hilo, Hawaii. 


Jared Oraiyiond Church (Capt. Samuel 6, Richard 5, 
Richard 4, Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) born June 
12, 1813, at Churchville, N. Y., married, May 29, 1837, 



Eliza Noble Chandler (b. Feb. 2, 1813, at Cazenovia, 
Madison County, N. Y., d. July 24, 1896, at Charleston, 
Mississippi County, Mo.) ; died August 17, 1882, at 
Charleston, Missouri. 

His boyhood and early education were in Churchville ; 
later he became a student at Hamilton College in the 
State of New York. 

In 1843, at the age of thirty, Mr. Church went to Col- 
umbia, Tennessee, and took charge of "The Tennessee 
Conference Female College," succeeding the Rev. P. P. 

He began his work in a large building known as 
"Halcyon Hall." The college was located on a fine ele- 
vation, the grounds covering from eight to ten acres. 
The large and excellent frame building included dormi- 
tories of a size to accommodate upwards of one hundred 
fifty boarders. In 1859 or '60 Dr. Church had construct- 
ed at his own expense a large brick building with modern 
class rooms, chapel and spacious auditorium. This build- 
ing was called Corinthian Hall. This flourishing insti- 
tution of learning for women was extensively and favor- 
ably known not only in Tennessee but in many of the 
Southwestern states. The charter of the college was 
liberal and very advanced for the time. Under date of 
June 27, 1889, the Christian Advocate of Nashville, said : 
"For wholesome discipline and a high grade of scholar- 
ship it stood at the head of any institution then exist- 
ing in the South." He presided over this institution 
eighteen years, assisted by a most able faculty, and won 
for it an enviable reputation. 

In his work Dr. Church publicly and privately advo- 
cated the propriety and necessity of employing Southern 
teachers and using Southern textbooks. 

The school was broken up by the Civil War. After 
the Confederate army retreated through Tennessee upon 
the fall of Fort Donelson, the boarding pupils returned 


to their homes, and Dr. Church was either threatened 
with imprisonment or his life endangered and he was a 
refugee while the Federal troops were in Columbia. 
When the Confederate army came into Tennessee in 1864 
and the Federal army fell back, the college buildings 
were all destroyed by the Federal forces, Corinthian Hall 
alone escaping the fire, as it was at some distance from 
the other buildings. It has been remodeled and is now 
the Andrews Grammar School. 

His school destroyed, and his property lost by the war, 
Dr. Church removed to Missouri. About 1871, he took 
charge of the Central Female College of Lexington, Mis- 
souri, and in 1875 he retired from active life and made 
his home at Charleston, Missouri. 

In 1835, at the age of twenty-two, Dr. Church was 
married to Eliza Noble Chandler of Cazenovia, N. Y. 
Handsome in person, with a cultivated mind and a beau- 
tiful character, she was most active and faithful in dis- 
charge of the high duties devolving upon her. An ap- 
preciative pupil at College Hill, Columbia, says of Mrs. 
Church: "I found her attentive and kindly affectionate, 
filling as nearly as possible a mother's place to those en- 
trusted to her care." 

Five children were born of this marriage, three of 
whom died in infancy: Mrs. Frances C. Irwin and Mrs. 
Laura B. Lawrence alone survive. 

A devoted follower of the Methodist Episcopal faith 
Dr. Church was ordained Deacon by Bishop Soule at 
Murfreesboro, Tenn., November 7, 1847. In 1850, he 
was ordained Elder at Athens, Alabama, Bishop Capers 
officiating. The degree of Doctor of Divinity was con- 
ferred upon him by Genesee College of Lima, N. Y. 

To know Dr. Church was to be impressed by the purity 
of his motive, the sweetness of his disposition and his 
indomitable will. He was in truth a Christian gentle- 


He died August 17, 1882, in his sixty-ninth year, and 
is buried at Charleston, Missouri. 


8-FA. Amanda Louise, b. in 1838 and died within a year. 
8-GA. Maria Fidelia, b. in 1840; died when three years old. 
8-HA. Frances Cazenovia, b. Nov. 5, 1842, Churchville, N. Y.; 

m. Sept. 4, 1860, at Columbia, Tenn., John Sevier 

Irwin (b. Apr. 2, 1831, at Savannah, Tenn.; d. June 5, 

1918, at Savannah, Tenn.). 
8-1 A. Laura Belle, b. Aug. 14, 1847, at Hillsboro, Texas; m. 

Oscar Jerome Lawrence. 
8-JA. Charles C, b. June 14, 1853; d. May 25, 1854. 


Munson Rufus Hill, son of Rufus and Anna Munson 
Church Hill, born May 2, 1821, died June — , 1868, at 
Memphis, Tenn. ; married, December 13, 1843, Elizabeth 


9. Sparrel Hill, b. Oct. 19, 1844; d. July 10, 1910; m. Oct. 

20, 1864, Annie Elder (she died June — , 1911). 

9-A. Annie Hill, b. ; died in infancy. 

9-B. Thomas Hill, b. ; d. ; married 

and had one child but all died prior to 1917. 

9-C. Minnie Hill, b. ; died in infancy. 

9-D. Walter Hale Hill, b. ; d. , 1878; 

m. Emma Hatchett, . No children. 

9-E. Bettie Hill, b. May 2, 1852; m. , 1868, E. B. 

Dye; d. July — , 1909. 
9-F. Church Hill, b. ; d. , 1875. 


Clemon Church Hill (Anna 7, Capt. Samuel 6, Rich- 
ard 5, Richard U, Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) , born 
September 26, 1825, Riga, Monroe Co., N. Y. ; married, 

, 1860, at Sugar Island, Chippewa County, 

Mich., Eliza Elletta Leavens (born April 21, 1840, at Col- 
lingwood, Canada, died Oct. 1, 1873). He died March 4, 
1886, at Bay City, Michigan. 


9-G. Rufus Cromwell, b. July 20, 1861. 

9-H. Abigail Anna, b. March 30, 1863; m. , 





9-1. Frederick Clemon, b. August 30, 1864. 

9-J. Wallace Egbert, b. Sept. 10, 1867; d. , 1871. 

9-K. Lois Eliza, b. August 3, 1869; d. , 1871. 

9-L. Margaretta Naomi, b. Nov. 5, 1871; m. , 

Grandy at some time prior to August, 

1896, as per complaint in re estate of Amanda Church 
Carver. Abigail Anna is also therein referred to as 
Abigail A. Evans. (Letters sent to Bay City in 
1917, returned unclaimed, "Not in Directory.") 


Egbert Grandin Hill, son of Rufus and Anna M. 

Church Hill, born , 1828, Riga, Monroe County, 

N. Y., married, May 2, 1853, at Dyersburgh, Tennessee, 
Sarah M. Esque (b. July 4, 1833, Shelby ville, Bedford 
Co., Tenn.; died April 19, 1900) ; died at Dyersburgh, 
Tenn., May 28, 1868. 


9-M. Samuel Esque Rufus, b. Feb. 10, 1854, Dyersburgh, Tenn. ; 

d. April 25, 1878, Dyersburgh. 
9-N. Annie Egbert Hill, b. Feb. 23, 1856, Dyersburgh; m. 

April 19, 1877, at Dyersburgh, J. D. McClerkin (b. 

Jan. 10, 1853, Lexington, Tenn.) d. May 2, 1883. 


Lyman Rufus Casey, only child of Lyman and Anna 
M. (Church) Hill Casey, born May 6, 1837, York, Liv- 
ingston County, N. Y., married, August 8, 1860, Buffalo, 
N. Y., Harriet Mary Piatt, daughter of Landra Beach 
and Harriet (Hemingway) Piatt, (b. Feb. 18, 1841, Ober- 
lin, Ohio) ; died January 25, 1914, at Washington, D. C. 

Mr. Casey went to North Dakota in 1882, in the inter- 
ests of the Carrington & Casey Land Company, and at 
once began to take a very prominent part in the political 
affairs of Foster County. He served as Chairman of the 
North Dakota State Committee on Irrigation, and was 
elected Commissioner of the county. In 1889 he was 


elected by the North Dakota Legislature, for a term in 
the United States Senate, at the expiration of which he 
settled in Washington, and died there January 25, 1914. 


9-0. Harry Casey, b. May 14, 1861, Buffalo, N. Y.; d. May 21, 

1863, Buffalo, N. Y. 
9-P. Frank Casey, b. Aug. 5, 1864, Philadelphia, Pa.; m. Nov. 

1, 1918, at St. Louis, Mo., Bunetta Clydevista Engle; 

(January, 1919, lives at "The Kenesaw," Washington, 

D. C). 
9-Q. Carl Casey, b. Jan. 14, 1868, Detroit, Mich.; m. July 27, 

1898, at Baltimore, Md., Annie Laura Clark (Jan. 

1919, resides at the Westmoreland, Washington, D. 

9-R. Theodora Casey, b. Jan. 16, 1877, at Teverdon, Switzer- 
land; m. March 2, 1912, at New York City, William 

Atwood Topliffe. (January, 1919, address, Eastcliff, 

Rye, N. Y.). 


Emma Smith, daughter of Spencer and Abigail 
(Church) Smith, was born March 28, 1814, Churchville, 
N. Y.; married November 28, 1833, Rochester, N. Y., 
John Brown (born Nov. 21, 1806, Malone, Franklin Co., 
N. Y., d. ) , and died in Detroit, Michigan, Janu- 
ary 26, 1881. 


9-S. Fidelia E. Brown, b. April 16, 1835, Rochester, N. Y. 
9-T. Ralph Robinson Brown, b. Sept. 6, 1837, Novi, Mich.; 

d. (unmarried). 

9-U. James John Brown, b. Nov. 13, 1839, Pontiac, Mich. 


Ralph Church Smith (Abigail 7-B, Capt. Samuel 
Church 6), born August 14, 1816, at Churchville, N. Y. ; 
died June 6, 1874, at Detroit, Mich.; married Sept. 22. 



1845, at Springfield, Oakland County, Mich., Jane John- 
son, daughter of Augustus and Elizabeth (Sharp) John- 
son, b. May 5, 1825, at Manchester, N. Y., d. July 28, 
1915, at Pine Lake, Mich. ; buried in Elmwood Cemetery, 
Detroit, Mich. 


9-V. Emma Elizabeth, b. Oct. 1, 1846, at Detroit, Mich.; m. 
Dec. 14, 1870, George Henry Moore (b. Jan. 20, 
1848, at North Hartland, Vt.). 

9-W. Jennie Church, b. Oct. 5, 1850; d. May 19, 1866. 

9-X. Ralph Charles, b. Nov. 15, 1857; m. Anna Keveny; d. 
July 20, 1917, leaving widow. No children. 

9-Y. Florine Tefft, b. Feb. 5, 1864; m. Dec. 14, 1887, Edward 
Walton Stoddard (b. Feb. 7, 1846). Mrs. Stoddard 
and her sister Miss Abigail Smith are members of 
the Colonial Dames and of the Daughters of the 
American Revolution through ^lunson ancestors of 
their great grandmother Abigail (Munson) Church. 
Mrs. Stoddard has served as Regent of the Louisa 
St. Clair Chapter of the D. A. R. in Detroit; also as 
president of the Mt. Vernon Society. No children. 

9-Z. Abigail, b. July 17, 1866. Unmarried. Resides in De- 


Wesley Brainard Church (Dr. Samuel C. 7-C, Capt. 
Samuel 6), born March 13, 1829, at Churchville; died 
Nov. 17, 1883, at New York; married, Dec. 9, 1856, at 
Medina, N. Y., Mary Jane Whaley, daughter of Christo- 
pher Whaley, M.D., born June 7, 1830, died July 24, 
1888 ; both Mr. and Mrs. Church are buried in Boxwood 
Cemetery, Medina, N. Y. 

Physically unable to endure the stress of an academic 
and collegiate education, Wesley Church at the age of 
fifteen was sent to a farm for two years. At the age of 
seventeen he became Deputy Postmaster of Medina under 
Dr. Whaley. In 1853 he opened a store in Albany under 


the firm name of W. B. Church & Company, but at the 
end of two years sold out at a profit and went to New 
York. Thereafter he was employed as an accountant 
with the exception of the two years he served as Truant 
School Officer. 

He joined the Odd Fellows as soon as he was of age, 
and in 1863 the Free Masons. Having absolute knowl- 
edge that a Mason of the 33rd degree had done an ex- 
ceedingly disgraceful and dishonorable thing, charges 
were brought in his Lodge and the 33rd degree culprit 
was expelled. He appealed to the Grand Lodge of the 
State of New York ; the matter was referred to a Masonic 
committee; the committee reported in favor of over- 
throwing the action of the subordinate lodge. The report 
of the committee was presented to the Grand Lodge in 
full session, and when the vote was taken the only hand 
raised in opposition was that of Wesley Church ; but 
scores of the delegates sought Mr. Church to shake hands 
with a man who had enough independence and courage 
to stand up against the several hundred votes on the 
other side. He was companionable and lovable as well 
as a man who had the courage of his convictions. 


9-AA. Charles C, b. Oct. 11, 1858; d. Dec. 28, 1860. 
9-BA. Adaline Sophronia, b. July 25, 1860. 
9-CA. Mary Whaley, b. Feb. 26, 1866. 

9-DA. Lillie Minnie, b. May 12, 1870. (The three sisters re- 
side together in the city of New York.) 


Maria Elinor Church, daughter of Rev. Dr. Samuel 
C. and Mary Hall (Bangs) Church, born April 4, 1833, 
at Churchville, died July 9, 1853, at Columbia, Tenn. 

In Rose Hill Cemetery, Columbia, Tennessee, may be 
found a monument with this inscription : 



In memory of 


daughter of 



was born April 4th 

1833, in Churchville, 

and died July 9th 1853. 

She made a profession 
of religion at the age 
of nine years and 
lived from that time 
until her death a very 
pious and exemplary life. 

On the die on the east side of the monument one reads 

She was educated 
in the Genesee 
Wesleyan Seminary 
at Lima, N. Y. and 
was an ornament 
to her Alma Mater. 

On the die on the north side : 

By the Students of the College. 

Sleep in peace, dear Teacher, 

Your trials are o'er; 

The world with its sorrows 

Can reach you no more. 

A daughter as loving, 

A sister as kind, 

A teacher as faithful, 

We never may find. 

Oh, nobly you lived 

And as nobly you died. 

The example you set, 

Be it e'er at our side, 

Till Teacher and Scholar 

When done with life here 

Before Jesus, the Teacher 

Divine shall appear. 


Only twenty at the time of her death, this brilliant 
young woman who had been but a short time in the 
South was a teacher in the Tennessee Conference Female 
College, of which her uncle the Rev. Dr. Jared 0. Church 
was President. She was also at the same time continu- 
ing her studies in Latin, Greek and mathematics prepar- 
ing herself for college. 


Charles Titus Church (Rev. Dr. Samuel C. 7, Capt. 
Samuel 6, Richard 5, Richard U, Samuel 3, Edward 2, 
Richard of Hartford 1 ) , born at Churchville, Oct. 6, 1834 ; 
died at Geneva, N. Y., Aug. 25, 1919; married at New 
York City, Aug. 26, 1873, Frances Ann Van Zandt, 
daughter of Beekman and Frances Susanna (Van Buren) 
Van Zandt (b. May 15, 1831; d. Oct. 14, 1910). 

He received his academic education in Medina, where 
his father was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 
and in 1854 entered Union College, from which he was 
graduated with the class of 1856 with the title of Gradu- 
ate in Civil Engineering and the degree of B.A. 

In March, 1857, he went to Iowa, served for a short 
time as rodman on the preliminary surveys for a rail- 
road from Dubuque to Anamosa, and in June he became 
interested in proposed improvements to water power at 
Rock Island, Illinois. He designed masonry dam, wings, 
etc., for using the power on the Illinois side of the island, 
but before these plans were carried out the whole matter 
passed into other hands. 

In 1859 he became principal of a graded school at 
Port Byron, 111., and was Superintendent of the city 
schools of Rock Island from 1861 to August, 1862, at 
which time he engaged "in land operations" with an office 
in Moline, 111., until July, 1864. He then went to Col- 
orado, in the employ of a gold mining corporation, and 
made topographic surveys of the mountain passes at the 






head-waters of the Arkansas, South Platte and Blue 
rivers — way up in the tip-top of the continent, eighty 
miles northwest of Pike's Peak. A portion of this sur- 
vey was used by the Pacific Railway Company's explor- 
ers. Gen. Case, Surveyor-General of Colorado, was in 
charge of the preliminary line running up the South 
Platte and through Hoosier Pass, that connects the topo- 
graphic survey with the Pacific railway investigation. 
The following winter Mr. Church returned to New York 
to complete the maps and surveys. 

In July, 1866, he was employed as Mining Superintend- 
dent by the Champion Silver Mining Company, and in 
its interests went via the Isthmus of Panama to San 
Francisco, California, and thence to Silver Peak, Nevada, 
where he made a thorough examination of the company's 
property, and upon a full report to the owners it was 
decided to defer mining operations. On his return he 
engaged in the survey of the Shore Line Railroad from 
Middletown to Willimantic, Conn., and in the spring of 
1869 he entered the employ of the New York, Ontario & 
Western Railway as Civil Engineer at Walton, N. Y., 
and remained with that company four years. In 1874 
he assisted in the engineer work of carrying railroad 
bridges across the Oswego river at Oswego and out to 
the new harbor and after completing that work, about 
1877, he went to Clifton, N. Y., and remained a year. 
He then went to Boston in the employ of the Hoosac Tun- 
nel and Western Railway; and through acquaintances 
made in Boston he was continuously employed in his 
profession as civil engineer until 1895. 

Meantime his family had become residents of Geneva, 
N. Y., and in 1899 he became identified with the munici- 
pal government serving two years as City Engineer and 
thereafter as City Engineer and Superintendent of Pub- 
lic Works until 1912, when he resigned and retired from 


active work, having- been connected with the department 
for thirteen years. 

A man whose professional career had taken him from 
the Atlantic to the Pacific, who was a reader of many 
books and periodicals, remarkably lucid in his expres- 
sion of thought or opinion, of keen wit and excellent 
memory, Mr. Charles T. Church was a most interesting 
and entertaining host. He was pre-eminently a home- 
loving man and seldom cared to visit his clubs or other 
meeting-places. Although a member of the University 
Club, the Elks and the Masons he never held office in 
any of them. On May 1, 1889, he was elected a Member 
of the American Society of Civil Engineers. 

Mr. Church was Vestryman of Trinity Protestant 
Episcopal Church of Geneva from 1894 to 1917, and for 
a number of years served as Clerk of the Vestry. 


Fidelia Church, youngest child of Rev. Dr. Samuel 
Clemon and Mary Hall (Bangs) Church, was born June 
8, 1836, at Churchville, died June 15, 1910, at Brock- 
port, N. Y. ; married, Aug. 8, 1860, Henry Ailing of 
Rochester, N. Y. (b. Nov. 12, 1832; d. April 16, 1862) ; 
and second, Wesley S. Merritt of Brockport, N. Y. No 

Mrs. Ailing had received instruction from the best 
teachers of the piano in New York, and in 1863 she began 
her work as teacher of instrumental music in connec- 
tion with the Collegiate Institute which later became the 
State Normal School at Brockport, N. Y., and remained 
at the head of that department until the close of the 
school year of 1892 — a period of thirty years. Mean- 
time she spent a year in Europe in travel and the study 
of music and on her return in 1875 she introduced the 
Stuttgart method. She was thorough and painstaking 



and many pupils came to Brockport expressly for the 
training they would receive under her instruction. 

After the death of her father in 1869, her mother lived 
with her in Brockport, and when Mrs. Church had at- 
tained the age of four score years and ten Mrs. Alling- 
Merritt resigned her position in the Normal School that 
she might devote more time to the companionship and 
care of her mother. 

Daughter of a minister of the Methodist Episcopal 
Church, she became a member of that body at the early 
age of seven years ; but in 1896, after the death of her 
mother, she withdrew from that denomination and united 
with the St. Luke's Episcopal Church of Brockport. She 
was for a time Regent of the Monroe Chapter of the 
Daughters of the American Revolution. 


Henry Oscar Clark, son of Loren and Almira 
(Church) Clark, born December 6, 1824, at Byron, New 
York; married, December 28, 1866, at Adrian, Michigan, 
Maggie Cole Robinson who died at Detroit, Mich., Janu- 
ary 19, 1869, aged 32 years; he died at Detroit, April 27, 


9-EA. Loren Clark, born May 18, 1868, at Detroit, Mich., 
married at Detroit, Mich., Aug. 9, 1913, Elsie Tern 
Deets of Oklahoma City. No children. His business 
address — The Meinzinger Studios — is 712 Jefferson 
Ave., East, Detroit, Mich. He is Secretary-Treasurer 
of the Detroit Boat Club Yachtsmen. 


Samuel Church Clark, son of Loren and Almira 
(Church) Clark, born August 19, 1827, married, October 
15, 1853, at Fulton, Rock County, Wisconsin, Susan 


Olivia True, daughter of Elijah and Martha True (b. 
April 9, 1832, Perry, Wyoming Co., N. Y., d. July 28, 
1908, at Galesburg, Knox Co., Illinois, and buried at 
Janesville, Rock Co., Wisconsin) ; died February 1, 1899, 
at Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois, and buried at Janes- 
ville, Rock County, Wisconsin. 


9-FA. Loren Fred Clark, born March 23, 1856, Janesville, Wis. 
m. Oct. 19, 1892, Omaha, Nebraska, Lily Alexandria 
Miller (b. Aug. 7, 1864, Iroquois, Ontario, Canada) ; 
d. March 26, 1910, at Galesburg, 111., buried at Janes- 
ville, Wisconsin. There are no children. 
Mrs. Loren F. Clark in Dec. 1918, lived in Petaluma, 

9-GA. Nellie Sue Clark, b. June 14, 1874, Fond du Lac, Wis. 


Frederick Loren Clark, youngest child of Loren and 
Almira (Church) Clark, born August 15, 1840, married, 
June 9, 1867, at Watertown, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, 
Uranah B. Cole (daughter of Luther A. and Mary Jane 
Cole) , died in Chicago, Illinois, October 26, 1898. 


9-HA. Guy Frederick Clark, b. March 28, 1872, Lawrence, 

Kansas. (P. O. address in 1917, 120 13th Avenue, 

Seattle, Wash.) 
9-IA. Marion U. Clark, b. Jan. 13, 1876, Jackson, Mich.; m. 

June 24, 1903, John T. Condon. No Children. (Aug. 

21, 1917, address, 1700 16th Ave., Seattle, Wash.) 


John Clark Robinson (Maria 7-F, Capt. Samuel 
Church 6, Richard 5, Richard 1>, Samuel 3, Edward 2, 
Richard 1) , born Aug. 2, 1839, in Bangkok, Siam; died 
May 22, 1910, at Los Angeles, California; married, Aug. 
20, 1866, at Brooklyn, N. Y., Elizabeth C. Walton, daugh- 


ter of Robert and Hannah (Whitney) Walton, (b. Aug. 
19, 1844, at St. Andrews, New Brunswick) . 


9-JA. Henry Manning, b. April 22, 1868, Brooklyn, N. Y. 
9-KA. John Walton, b. Sept. 18, 1869, at Brooklyn, N. Y. 

d. May 24, 1870, at Brooklyn. 
9-LA. Clara Walton, b. April 24, 1873, at Syracuse, N. Y. 

d. March 17, 1876, at Syracuse. 
9-MA. Susan Whitney, b. Oct. 30, 1876, at Syracuse, N. Y. 

d. July 27, 1877, at Syracuse. 
9-NA. Frederick Church, b. Jan. 6, 1878, at Syracuse. 
9-OA. Prescott Whitney, b. April 1, 1884, at Brooklyn, N. Y. 


Titus Munson Coan (Fidelia 7-G, Capt. Samuel 6, 
Richard 5, Richard U, Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1), 
born Sept. 27, 1836, at Hiio, Hawaii, married, June 21, 
1877, at New York City, Leonie Pauline Morel (b. June 
21, 1846, at Besancon ; d. June 30, 1901, at New York) . 

Titus Munson Coan was born at Hilo, Hawaii, the son 
and oldest child of Titus Coan, the well-known mission- 
ary. His first schooling was at the Royal School and at 
the Punahou School in Honolulu. In 1859 he was gradu- 
ated from Williams College. He studied medicine in 
New York City, receiving his diploma from the College 
of Physicians and Surgeons; after which he spent two 
years as an interne in the New York hospitals, then 
crowded with patients from the fields of the civil war. 
In 1863 he entered the United States Navy as Acting 
Assistant Surgeon in the West Gulf Squadron under 
Farragut, and was present at the battle of Mobile Bay. 
At the close of the war he went into practice in the city 
of New York, which since then has been his home. 

Dr. Coan's professional training was long; but an 
inclination towards authorship gradually drew him into 
lines of least resistance. He contributed both verse and 


prose to the magazines; and in 1888 a collection of his 
papers on hygiene was published by the Harpers under 
the title of "Ounces of Prevention." 

In 1880 he organized the New York Bureau of Re- 
vision, a sort of first aid to authors by letters of criticism 
and the competent revision of their manuscript. The 
Bureau met a need and won a wide approval. 


9-PA. Philip Munson Coan, b. May 14, 1879, at New York. 
9-QA. Hamilton M. Coan, b. June 17, 1886, at New York. 


Samuel Latimer Coan (Fidelia 7-G, Capt. Samuel 
Church 6), youngest child of Rev. Dr. Titus and Fidelia 
(Church) Coan, born Jan. 23, 1846, at Hilo, Hawaii; 
died Jan. 18, 1887, at Hilo; married, 1877. Jerusha Biggs 


9-RA. Harold Latimer Coan, b. Feb. 24, 1878, at Hilo, Hawaii; 

d. Aug. 13, 1878, at Hilo, Hawaii. 
9-SA. Raymond Church Coan, b. Sept. 9, 1884, Hilo, Hawaii. 

He was with the Ambulance Corps in France in 

April, 1917. 


Frances Cazenovia Church (Rev. Dr. Jared O. 7-H, 
Capt. Samuel 6), born Nov. 5, 1842, at Churchville, N. 
Y. ; married Sept. 4, 1860, at Columbia, Tenn., John 
Sevier Irwin (b. April 2, 1831, at Savannah, Tenn., d. 
June 5, 1918, at Savannah). 

Mrs. Irwin was educated in the Tennessee Conference 
Female College, at Columbia, of which her father was 
president, graduating with the class of 1859. She took 
additional studies the following year, and was married 
on the 4th of September, 1860, to Mr. John S. Irwin, a 



prominent and lifelong citizen of Savannah. The Quar- 
terly Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in 
a resolution passed after his death, said of Mr. Irwin: 
"We deeply feel the loss of his help and council in church 
and conference. That we revere his memory as the most 
saintly and devoted member of our body. That we cher- 
ish the rich memories of the many years of his active 
service, and that we commend the spirit of the man to 
all his comrades in church activities." Mrs. Irwin's ad- 
dress is Savannah, Tenn. 


9-TA. Annie Laura Church, b. May 26, 1863. 
9-UA. James Orin, b. Jan. 9, 1868. 
9-VA. Nancy Eliza, b, March 31, 1877. 


Laura Belle Church (Rev. Jared 0. 7-H, Capt. Sam- 
uel 6), born August 14, 1847, at Hillsboro, Texas; mar- 
ried Oscar Jerome Lawrence. 

In the College at Columbia, Tenn., of which her father 
was president, Mrs. Lawrence had exceptional opportuni- 
ties, and that she appreciated the advantages of the De- 
partment of Music is evidenced by the manner in which 
for many years she supported herself and her family. 
She taught instrumental and vocal music and served as 
church organist many years : sixteen years as organist 
for the Methodist and eleven years as organist for the 
Baptist churches of Charleston, Mo. She was also a 
composer of music. Of interest to other than her im- 
mediate family is the following, taken from the St. Louis 
Globe-Democrat of Dec. 31, 1879 : 

"We copy the following from the Courier Gazette, 
Charleston, Mo. Mrs. Lawrence is a daughter of Dr. 


J. O. Church, and sister of Mrs. John Irwin. She was 
formerly a music teacher at the Savannah College: 

'Mrs. Lawrence, instructress of music at the Charleston Classical 
Academy, has received an invitation from the President of the 
New York Music Association, to accompany the members of that 
Association and other eminent musicians of the United States on 
a tour to Europe, for the purpose of further perfecting their 
knowledge of music from observations among the master European 
musicians. Recognizing the value her services would be to them 
and to the musical profession of this country, in general, the 
Association have very kindly offered to pay Mrs. Lawrence's ex- 
penses during the entire trip from New York and return. This 
invitation, corning from the source that it does, is a highly 
satisfactory confirmation of the opinion the patrons of Mrs. Law- 
rence here and elsewhere, have had of her ability as a music 
teacher.' " 


9-WA. Fannie Church Lawrence, b. July 29, 1866. 
9-XA. Lila Irwin Lawrence, b. Aug. 10, 1868. 




Sparrel Hill, son of Munson Rufus and Elizabeth 
(Hale) Hill, born October 19, 1844; died July 10, 1910; 
married, October 20, 1864, Annie Elder; she died June, 


10. Annie Munson Hill, b. ; d. May 16, 1917, 

Trenton, Tenn. 

10-A. Lucy Hale Hill, b. ; (P. 0. Address, Tren- 
ton, Tenn.) 

(From "The Trenton Weekly Gazette," Thursday, May 24, 1917) 

"Miss Munson Hill, eldest daughter of the late Hon. Sparrel 
Hill, and Mrs. Hill, born and reared in Trenton, is dead. She 
passed peacefully away on Tuesday night May 15. Miss Munson 
has been for many long years a very great sufferer but her suffer- 
ings were borne always with Christian fortitude. Her creed in 
life was to be bright, cheerful and helpful. Her faith in God, 
and the Christian religion was but a part of her being. She 
was a consistent working member of the Methodist church, and a 
teacher of great influence in the Sabbath School. Her strong 
abiding faith strengthened the weak, her ministry to the needy 
was beautiful and untiring. In the years away back Miss Munson 
Hill founded the order of the 'King's Daughters' of which order 
until a few years before her death she was the capable, active 
managing President. Trenton honored Miss Munson Hill in life 
and mourns her loss in death. Funeral was held at her suburban 
ancestral home on Thursday morning at 10: 30 o'clock, con- 
ducted by her pastor, Rev. R. M. Walker. Interment took place 



at beautiful Oakland Cemetery. Floral offerings many, and 
handsome. The sympathy of Trenton is tendered the sister, 
JMiss Lucy Hill, in her lonely estate. 

"She stretched out her hand to the poor; yea she reached forth 
her hand to the needy." 


Bettie Hill, daughter of Munson Ruf us and Elizabeth 
(Hale) Hill, born May 2, 1852; died July, 1909; married, 
1868, E. B. Dye. 


10-B. Anna Hale Dye, b. . (P. 0. address in 

1917, 917 Roland Ave., Memphis, Tenn.) 

10-C. Munson Thomas Dye, b. , 1871; m. 

, ; (in 1917, "Somewhere in 


10-D. Elizabeth Walter Dye, b. . (P. 0. Mem- 
phis, Tenn.) 


Annie Egbert Hill, born February 23, 1856, Dyers- 
burgh, Tennessee, only daughter of Egbert Grandin and 
Sarah M. (Esque) Hill, married, April 19, 1877, at Dyers- 
burgh, Tenn., J. D. McClerkin (b. Jan. 10, 1853, Lexing- 
ton, Tenn.), and died May 2, 1883. 


10-E. Annie Hill McClerkin, b. April 17, 1878, Dyersburgh; 

m. April 19, 1898, Eugene Scott. 
10-F. Floy Esque McClerkin, b. Nov. 6, 1879, Dyersburgh; 

m. Feb. 18, 1903, Guy Weston Moore (b. Oct. 24, 



Fidelia E. Brown (Emma Smith 8-F, Abigail Church 
7-B), oldest child of John and Emma (Smith) Brown, 


born April 16, 1835, at Rochester, N. Y., married, Janu- 
ary 8, 1851, at Detroit, Michigan, Edward A. Drury (b. 
Aug. 9, 1828, in Cuyahoga County, Ohio). 


10-G. Charles Worden Drury, b. March 18, 1858; d. March 9, 

10-H. Abbie Wilson Drury, b. April 30, 1859; d. June 30, 1862, 

Detroit, Mich. 
10-1. Carrie Elizabeth Drury, b. Oct. 25, 1863; m. 1st, C. 

Bailey Gates; m. 2nd, Hugh Janeway; d. April — , 



James John .Brown (Emma Smith 8-F, Abigail 
Church 7-B, Capt. Samuel Church 6), youngest child of 
John and Emma (Smith) Brown, was born November 
13, 1839, Pontiac, Michigan; married, August 6, 1872, 
at Detroit, Michigan, Adelaide Augusta Van Valken- 
burgh (b. August 26, 1854, Ridgeway, Mich.). In 1880, 
when Mr. Elihu Church of New York, was compiling 
Church record, Mr. James John Brown was a lawyer in 
Cheboygan, Michigan, and had no children. We have 
not the date of the death of his wife Adelaide Augusta, 
but in the year 1888, at St. Ignace, Michigan, he was 
married to Minnie Gagnon. She died at Detroit, Michi- 
gan, December 27, 1901. 


10-J. Prentiss M. Brown, b. June 18, 1889, St. Ignace, Mich.; 
m. June 16, 1916, at St. Ignace, Marion Elizabeth 


Emma Elizabeth Smith (Ralph C. Smith 8-G, Abi- 
gail 7-B, Capt. Samuel Church 6), born Oct. 1, 1846, at 


Detroit, Mich., married, Dec. 14, 1870, George Henry 
Moore (b. Jan. 20, 1848, North Hartland, Vermont) . 


10-K. Carlton Ward Moore, b. June 29, 1872, Detroit, Mich.; 

m. April 21, 1898, Katherine Richards. 
10-L. Ella Florine Moore, b. March 14, 1874; m. Nov. 19, 1914, 

Addison Burris Phipps. 
10-M. George Albert Moore, b. May 19, 1880; m. (1) Oct. 14, 

1909, Mabel Scripps (b. Nov. 24, 1883; d. Jan. 3, 

1912) ; (2) May 28, 1919, Gertrude E. Griffith. 
10-N. Louise Hurd Moore, b. Jan. 19, 1886; m. Oct. 22, 1914, 

Charles Locke Scripps. 
10-O. Irene Hunt Moore, b. Jan. 19, 1886. 
10-P. William Warren Moore, b. Nov. 28, 1887; d. April 15, 



Nellie Sue Clark (Samuel C. Clark 8-N, Almira 
Church 7-D, Capt. Samuel Church 6), born June 14, 
1874, at Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, married, October 28, 
1908, at Spokane, Washington, Robert Arthur Wilson 
(b. May 10, 1866, at Olney, Richmond Co., Illinois, and 
died at Olney, Illinois, October 4, 1911, and buried there) . 


10-Q. Nellie Isabelle Loren Wilson, b. Oct. 8, 1909, at Gales- 
burgh, Knox Co., Illinois. She is the only great- 
grandchild of ALMIRA CHURCH CLARK, and is 
with her mother living (Dec. 1917) at 170 S. Cedar 
St., Galesburg, 111. 

Henry Manning Robinson {John C. 8-Y, Maria 7-F, 
Capt. Samuel Church 6) , born April 22, 1868, at Brook- 
lyn, N. Y. ; married, Oct. 14, 1896, by Rev. A. J. F. Beh- 
rends of Brooklyn, Sara Elizabeth Simmons (b. Feb. 1, 
1867, at Brooklyn, N. Y.) ; address, 12 Llewellyn Road, 
Montclair, N. J. 


10-R. Walton Simmons, b. June 10, 1906, at Montclair, N. J. 


Frederick Church Robinson (John C. 8-Y, Maria 
7-F, Capt. Samuel Church 6) , born Jan. 6, 1878, at Syra- 
cuse, N. Y. He served with the U. S. Navy in the World 
War and until the summer of 1919. 


Prescott Whitney Robinson, son of John Clark Rob- 
inson (Maria 7 , Capt. Samuel 6, Richard 5, Richard U, 
Samuel 3, Edward 2, Richard 1) born in Brooklyn, N. Y., 
April 1, 1884, married at Fire Island, Maine, by Rev. 
Nehemiah Boynton, September 6, 1911, Lillian Claire 
Bradshaw (b. April 26, 1883, Montreal, Canada) , and 
resides (August, 1919) at 695 Victoria Avenue, West- 
mount, Montreal ; business address, 414 Drummond 
Building, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. 


10-S. Prescott Whitney Robinson, b. March 25, 1913, Mon- 
treal, Canada. 


Philip Munson Coan (Dr. Titus Munson Coan 8-BA, 
Fidelia Church 7-G, Capt. Samuel Church 6), born May 
14, 1879, New York City, married, June 15, 1910, Sarah 
Bryan Burr. 


10-T. Philip Burr, b. April 14, 1911. 
10-U. Leonle Matilda, b. June 23, 1912. 



Annie Laura Church Irwin (Frances C. Church 
8-HA, Dr. Jared O. Church 7-H, Capt. Samuel Church 6), 
daughter of John Sevier and Frances C. (Church) Ir- 
win, born May 26, 1863, Savannah, Tennessee, married 
May 26, 1884, Rev. J. W. Cherry, died May 17, 1892, 
at Fayetteville, Tenn. 


10-V. Frances Louise Cherry, b. March 15, 1885, Savannah, 
Tennessee; m. April 23, 1907, at Columbia, Tenn., 
Paty Lillard Guffin (b. Oct. 27, 1882, at Murfreesboro, 
Tenn.) reside at Giddings, Texas. 

10-W. Frank I. Cherry, b. Oct. 2, 1890, Savannah, Tenn., re- 
sides at Nashville, Tenn. 

10-X. Annie I. Cherry, b. April 15, 1892, Fayetteville, Tenn.; 
m. May 15, 1915, at Fayetteville, Tenn., William 
Samuel Ezell, son of A. M. and Martha Ezell (b. 
Jan. 13, 1892, Pulaski) Address, Care Rev. J. W. 
Cherry, Clarksville, Tenn. 


James Orin Irwin (Frances C. Church 8-HA, Dr. 
Jared O. Church 7-H, Capt. Samuel Church 6), born 
January 9, 1868, at Savannah, Tenn., married, Feb. 12, 

1896, Adrienne Hinkle (b. in Saltillo, ) 



10-Y. Douglas H. Irwin, b. June 2, 1898; resides in Paul's Val- 
ley, Oklahoma. 


Nancy Eliza Irwin (Frances C. Church 8-HA, Dr. 
Jared 0. Church 7-H, Capt. Samuel Church 6), born 
March 31, 1877, Savannah, Tenn., married, May 24, 


1899, William Fort Bell (b. July 8, 1873, Springfield, 


10-Z. James Irwin Bell, b. May 24, 1900. 
10-AA. John William Bell, b. Sept. 21, 1902. 
10-BA. Mary Frances Bell, b. May 7, 1907. 
10-CA. Cornelia Elizabeth Bell, b. March 17, 1910, 
10-DA. Annie Amelia Bell, b. June 17, 1911. 
10-EA. Frank Fort Bell, b. Nov. 6, 1915. 


Fannie Church Lawrence (Laura Belle Church 
8-1 A, Dr. Jared O. Church 7-H, Capt. Samuel Church 6), 
born July 29, 1866, married, Sept. 10, 1886, at Charles- 
ton, Missouri, John L. Simpson; died February 12, 1912. 


10-FA. Lila Noble Simpson, b. Dec. 3, 1887. 

10-GA. Lawrence Absalom Simpson, b. Feb. 3, 1889. 

10-HA. Charles Leslie Simpson, b. Aug. 23, 1892. 

10-IA. John Randolph Simpson, b. June 12, 1896; m. March 

11, 1919, Thelma Fern White, Charleston, Mo. 
10-JA. Harriet Belle Simpson, b. Dec. 15, 1897. 

9-X A 

Lila Irwin Lawrence (Laura Belle Church 8-IA, Dr. 
Jared O. Church 7-H, Capt. Samuel Church 6) , born Au- 
gust 10, 1868, married, June 26, 1884, at Charleston, 
Missouri, Charles A. Stotts (b. Feb. 10, 1857) ; died 
August 9, 1894. 


10-KA. Frances Belle Stotts, b. Aug. 2, 1889; m. Oct. 14, 

1916, at Charleston, Mo., Elza T. Housley, Jr. (b. 

Sept. 14, 1888) P. O. Address, Nov. 1917, 236 W. 

Grand St., Hot Springs, Arkansas. 
10-LA. Leslie Mayfield Stotts, b. July 30, 1893; d. September, 

6, 1893. 



Munson Thomas Dye (Bettie Hill 9-E, Munson Rufus 
Hill 8-B, Anna Munson Church 7, Capt. Samuel Church 

6), born , 1871, married , , 

and in 1917 was living "somewhere in Idaho." 


11. Sparrel Dye, b. . 

11A. Gertrude Dye, b. . 

11-B. Elizabeth Dye, b. 


Annie Hill McClerkin (Annie Egbert Hill 9-N, Eg- 
bert Grandin Hill 8-D, Anna Munson Church 7, Capt. 
Samuel Church 6), born April 17, 1878, Dyersburgh, 
Tennessee, married, April 19, 1898, Eugene Scott. 


11-C. James Eugene Scott, b. Aug. 25, 1899. 
11-D. Raymond Hill Scott, b. Feb. 6, 1902. 
11-E. Roy Anderson Scott, b. Sept. 18, 1904. 


Floy Esque McClerkin (Annie Egbert Hill 9-N, Eg- 
bert Grandin Hill 8-D, Anna Munson Church 7, Capt. 
Samuel Church 6), born November 6, 1879, at Dyers- 
burgh, Tenn. ; married, February 18, 1903, Guy Weston 
Moore (b. Oct. 24, 1877) ; in 1917, Post Office address 
1997 Central Street, Memphis, Tenn. 




11-F. Sarah Esque Moore, b. June 7, 1907. 
11-G. Marjorie McClerkin Moore, b. July 29, 1912. 
11-H. Floye Anna Moore, b. March 13, 1915. 
11-1. Laida Hill Moore, b. June 16, 1917. 


Carrie Elizabeth Drury (Fidelia E. Brown 9-S, Em- 
ma Smith 8-F, Abigail Church 7-B, Capt. Samuel Church 
6), born Oct. 25, 1863; married, first, C. Bailey Gates, 
; married, second, Hugh Janeway, paper manu- 
facturer at ; died April — , 1893. 


11-J. Marietta Gates, b. . 

11-K. Jack Gates, b. ; died in infancy. 


Prentiss M. Brown (James John Brown 9-1], Emma 
Smith 8-F, Abigail Church 7-B, Capt. Samuel Church 6), 
born June 18, 1889, at St. Ignace, Michigan, married, 
June 16, 1916, at St. Ignace, Michigan, Marion Elizabeth 
Walker (b. Sept. 20, 1894). 

Prentiss M. Brown in March, 1918, was Prosecuting 
Attorney for Mackinack County, St. Ignace, Michigan. 

11-L. Mariana Frances Brown, b. July 28, 1917, St. Ignace. 


Carlton Ward Moore (Emma Elizabeth Smith 9-V, 
Ralph Church Smith 8-G, Abigail Church 7-B, Capt. Sam- 
uel Church 6), born June 29, 1872, Detroit, Michigan, 
married, April 21, 1898, Katherine Richards. 



11-M. Lucile Moore, b. April 23, 1903. 
11-N. Richard Moore, b. Dec. 19, 1904. 


Louise Hurd Moore (Emma Elizabeth Smith 9-V, 
Ralph Church Smith 8-G, Abigail Church 7-B, Capt. Sam- 
uel Church 6) , born January 19, 1886, married, October 
22, 1914, Charles Locke Scripps. 


11-0. Mary Elizabeth Scripps, b. Dec. 4, 1915. 



No. Page 

Barnards, Elisabeth 6 14 

Broughton, Margaret 4 13 

Church, Alice 7 14 

Arnold 7 14 

Bartholomew 5 13 

Catherine 1 n 

Catherine 2 12 

Charles 6 14 

Edmund 4 13 

Henry 7 14 

Henry 7 14 

Isabella 4 12 

Joan 1 11 

John at 1 11 

John 2 11 

John 3 12 

John 4 12 

John 4 13 

John 5 14 

John 6 14 

John 6 14 

John 7 14 

Percy 4 13 

Randle 4 13 

Randolph 4 13 

Reynold 4 12 

Richard 4 13 

Richard 6 14 

Richard 8 15 

Richard 9 15 

Robert 1 11 

Robert 2 12 

Robert 5 13 

Robert 5 13 

Robert 6 14 

Rooke 4 13 

Ruke 7 14 

Sampson 7 14 



No. Page 

Thomas the Sculptor 2 12 

Thomas 6 14 

Thomas 6 14 

William 4 12 

William 4 13 

Dewell, Jane 7 14 

Greene, Margaret 4 12 

Margaret 4 13 

Robert 4 12 

Rooke 4 13 

Green, Dorothy 4 13 

Thomas 8 15 

Henkyn, Joan 4 13 

Jarvis, John 7 14 

Maistor, Richard 1 11 

McBride, Isabella 4 13 

James 4 13 

Marsh, Anne 9 15 

Edward 9 15 

Elizabeth 8 15 

Robert 8 15 

Ronner, Alice 5 13 

Sapcott, Constant 6 14 

Swan, Catherine 6 14 

Tey, Elinor 7 14 

Titerell, Joan 7 14 

Tyrrell, Edmund 4 13 

Mary 4 13 

Vassell, Elizabeth 7 14 

John 7 14 

Ward, Margaret 8 15 

Nathaniel 8 15 

Winchester, Catherine 1 11 

Richard 1 11 

Wright, Elizabeth 4 13 

Margaret 4 13 

Roger 4 13 



Ailing, Henry 54 

Fagg, David 31 

Baker, Aaron 22 

Apollos 22 

Bangs, Mary Hall 33 

Ruth (Hall) 33 

Zenos 33 

Belden, Lucina 22 

Bell, Annie Amelia 67 

Cornelia Elizabeth 67 

Frank Fort 67 

James Irwin 67 

John William 67 

Mary Frances 67 

William Fort 67 

Billings, Ebenezer 20 

Bradshaw, Lillian Claire 65 

Brown, Fidelia E 62 

James John 63 

John 4g 

Mariana Frances 69 

Prentiss M 69 

Ralph Robinson 48 

Burr, Sarah Bryan 65 

Carver, Abigail A 35 

Irving W 35 

Isador M 35 

Shubael 35 

Casey, Carl 48 

Frank 48 

Harry 48 

Lyman 30 

Lyman R 47 

Theodora 48 

Chandler, Eliza Noble 43 

Cherry, Annie 1 66 

Frances Louise 66 

Frank 1 66 

Rev. J. W 66 





Church, Abigail 30 

Adaline Sophronia 50 

Almira 34 

Amanda 35 

Amanda Louise 45 

Anna Munson 30 

Charles C 45 

Charles C 50 

Charles Titus 52 

Clarissa 23 

Church, Edward 19 

Edward 20 

Edward 21 

Elihu 22 

Fidelia 39 

Fidelia 54 

Frances Cazenovia 58 

Hannah 20 

Hannah 20 

Hannah 21 

Hannah 22 

Hepzibah 20 

Horace 23 

Jared 42 

Jesse 22 

John 19 

John 20 

John 21 

John 22 

Laura Belle 59 

Lemuel 22 

Lillie Minnie 50 

Lucy 22 

Maria 35 

Maria Elinor 50 

Maria Fidelia 45 

Mary 19 

Mary 20 

Mary 20 

Mary 21 

Mary Baker 34 

Mary Whaley 50 

Miriam 22 

Naomi 20 

Ralph 29 



Rebecca 20 

Richard 19 

Richard 20 

Richard 20 

Richard 21 

Richard 22 

Samuel 19 

Samuel 20 

Samuel 20 

Samuel 21 

Capt. Samuel 27 

Samuel Clemon 31 

Sarah 20 

Simeon 20 

Simeon 21 

Susanna 21 

Wesley Brainard 49 

Clark, Almira Eunice 35 

Annie Laura 48 

Charles William 35 

Frederick Loren 56 

Guy Frederick 56 

Henry Oscar 55 

Loren 34 

Loren 55 

Loren Fred 56 

Maria Fidelia 35 

Marion U 56 

Nellie Sue 64 

Samuel Church 55 

Coan, Hamilton M 58 

Harold Latimer 58 

Harriet Fidelia 42 

Leonie Matilda 65 

Philip Burr 65 

Philip Munson 65 

Raymond Church 58 

Samuel Latimer 58 

Sarah Eliza 42 

Titus 39 

Titus Munson 57 

Cole, Luther A 56 

Mary Jane 56 

Uranah B 56 

Condon, John T 56 

Darling, Alden 22 



Dimock, Edward L 35 

Deets, Elsie Tern 55 

Drury, Abbie Wilson 63 

Carrie Elizabeth 69 

Charles Worden 63 

Edward A 63 

Dye, Anna Hale 62 

E. B 62 

Elizabeth 68 

Elizabeth Walter 62 

Gertrude 68 

Munson Thomas 68 

Sparrel 68 

Elder, Annie 61 

Engle, Bunetta Clydevista 48 

Esque, Sarah M 47 

Evans, . . . . : 46 

Ezell, William Samuel 66 

Fitch, Charlotte Phelps 22 

Matthew 22 

Gagnon, Minnie 63 

Gates, C. Bailey 69 

Jack 69 

Marietta 69 

Grandy, 47 

Griffith, Gertrude E 64 

Guffin, Paty Lillard 66 

Hatchett, Emma 46 

Hale, Elizabeth 46 

Hill, Abigail Anna 46 

Annie 46 

Annie Egbert 62 

Annie Munson 61 

Bettie 62 

Church 46 

Clemon Church 46 

Egbert Grandin 47 

Frederick Clemon 47 

Frederick Lyman 30 

Lois Eliza 47 

Lucy Hale 61 



Margaretta Naomi 47 

Minnie 46 

Munson Rufus 46 

Rufus 30 

Rufus Cromwell 46 

Rufus Munson 30 

Samuel Esque R 47 

Sparrel 61 

Thomas 46 

Wallace Egbert 47 

Walter Hale 46 

Hinkle, Adrienne 66 

Housley, Elza T 67 

Hungerford, Susannah 20 

Thomas 20 

Irwin, Annie Laura Church 66 

Douglas H 66 

James Orin 66 

John Sevier 58 

Nancy Eliza 66 

Janeway, Hugh 69 

Johnson, Augustus 49 

Elizabeth ( Sharp) 49 

Jane 49 

Keveny, Anna 49 

Lawrence, Dannie Church 67 

Lila Irwin 67 

Oscar Jerome 59 

Leavens, Eliza Elletta 46 

Marsh, Anne 19 

Edward 19 

McClerkin, Annie Hill 68 

Floy Esque 68 

J. D 68 

Merritt, Wesley S 54 

Miller, Lily Alexander 56 

Moore, Carlton Ward 69 

Ella Florine 64 

Floye Anna 69 

George Albert 64 



George Henry 64 

Guy Weston 68 

Irene Hunt 64 

Laida Hill 69 

Louise Hurd 70 

Lucile 70 

Marjorie McClerkin 69 

Richard 70 

Sarah Esque 69 

William Warren 64 

Morel, Leonie Pauline 57 

Munson, Abigail 22 

Abigail 27 

Margery 22 

Moses 22 

Phipps, Addison Burris 64 

Piatt, Harriet Mary 47 

Harriet (Hemingway) 47 

Landra Beach 47 

Porter, William 20 

Richards, Katherine 69 

Robinson, Anna < 39 

Charles 36 

Charles . 39 

Charles Church 39 

Clara Walton 57 

Frederick Benham 39 

Frederick Church 65 

Henry Manning 64 

John Clark 56 

John Walton 57 

Maggie Cole 35 

Prescott Whitney 65 

Prescott Whitney, Jr 65 

Rufus Hill 39 

Susan Whitney 57 

Walton Simmons 65 

Rodman, Joseph 20 

Rowley, Ebenezer 20 

Russell, Barbara 23 

Philip 20 

Scott, Eugene 68 

James Eugene 68 



Raymond Hill 68 

Roy Anderson 68 

Scripps, Charles Locke 70 

Mabel 64 

Mary Elizabeth 70 

Shay, Anson 22 

Sibley, Joseph 23 

Simmons, Sara Elizabeth 64 

Simpson, Charles Leslie 67 

Harriet Belle 67 

John L 67 

John Randolph 67 

Lawrence Absalom 67 

Lila Noble 67 

Smith, Abigail 49 

Emma 48 

Emma Elizabeth 63 

Florine Tefft 49 

Jennie Church 49 

Ralph Charles 49 

Ralph Church 48 

Spencer 31 

Spear, Jerusha Biggs 58 

Stoddard, Edward Walton 49 

Stotts, Charles A 67 

Frances Belle 67 

Leslie Mayfield 67 

Topliffe, William Atwood 48 

True, Elijah 56 

Martha 56 

Susan Olivia 56 

Van Valkenburgh, Adelaide Augusta 63 

Van Zandt, Beekman 52 

Frances Ann 52 

Frances Susanna 52 

Walker, Marion Elizabeth 69 

Walton, Elizabeth C 56 

Hannah (Whitney) 57 

Robert 57 

Warner, Anna 22 

David 22 

Polly (Russell) 22 



Rebecca 21 

Whaley, Christopher 49 

Mary Jane 49 

White, Thelma Fern 67 

Wilson, Nellie Isabelle 64 

Robert Arthur . 64