FOURTH ANNUAL REPORT
AlAMEDA COUNTY DEPARTMENT
OAEAND FREE LIBRARY
FOR THE FISCAL YEAR 1913-1914
FOURTH ANNUAL REPORT
ALAMEDA COUNTY DEPARTMENT
OAKLAND FREE LIBRARY
FOR THE FISCAL YEAR 1913-1914
OAKLAND, - CALIFORNIA
ALAMEDA COUNTY DEPARTMENT
OAKLAND FREE LIBRARY
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS OF ALAMEDA COUNTY
JOHN F. MULLINS F. W. FOSS
W. B. BRIDGE J. M. KELLEY
DANIEL J. MURPHY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
OF THE OAKLAND FREE LIBRARY
FRANK M. PARCELLS 318 Lee St 1919
SAMUEL HUBBARD 244 Montecito Ave 1920
JOHN W. EVANS 604 E. 14th St 1915
GARY HOWARD 328 29th St 1916
SAM BELL McKEE 225 Vernon St 1917
GHARLES S. GREENE, Librarian and Secretary of the Board.
MARY BARMBY, Ghief of Department.
STAFF OF COUNTY DEPARTMENT
JULY 1, 1914
Mary Barmby _ , Chief
Jean D. Baird First Assistant
Ethel'bert Jerome _ Assistant
Albany E. S. Hamilton, Attendant
Rosa E. Diehl, Janitor
Altamont _ T. M. E^ran, Attendant
Alvarado Albert Norris, Attendant
Alviso - F. M. George, Attendant
Centerville Mabel Yates, Attendent
Decoto Elizabeth Williams, Attendant
Dublin W. S. Lawrence, Attendant
Hayward - Elizabeth Creelman, Attendant
Irvington Josephine Blacow, Attendant
Livermore Myrtle Harp, Attendant
Mission San Jose Dr. T. A. Nichols, Attendant
Mt. Eden Sophie Engelund, Attendant
Newark _ Mabel Fowler, Attendant
Niles E. M. Nichols, Attendant
Pleasanton S. A. Young, Attendant
San Lorenzo M. E. Brommage, Attendant
Sunol - Mary Buttner, Attendant
Warm Springs Joseph Brown, Attendant
Balance, of which $197.77 was held in trust for schools $ 299.15
Received from County Treasurer, July 1, 1913, to June 30, 1914, at
$1250.00 per month for 5 months and $1500.00 for 7 months $16,750.00
Received from Albany 30.00
Overdraft due Oakland Free Library 4.24
Salaries $ 6,801.31
Office Supplies 128.62
Views and Pictures 374.20
Building and Repair 119.62
Light and Heat 102.51
For Use of Oakland Library 2.000.00
REPORT OF THE ALAMEDA COUNTY
DEPARTMENT OF THE OAKLAND
To the Honorable Board of Directors of the Oakland Free Library —
Gentlemen: The fourth annual report of the County Library work in
Alameda County, is hereby presented.
Library work has been carried on in Alameda County since November,
1910, under a contract entered into between the County of Alameda through
its Board of Supervisors, and the Oakland Free Library through its Board
of Library Directors, to establish a County Library system and to work
under Section 12 of the County Library Law, the Legislature of the State
of California having passed a law April, 1909, permitting such co-operation.
Twelve thousand dollars was given for the first year's work. In November,
1911, a new contract was agreed upon whereby the work would be enlarged
and the added sum of $250 a month was given, making $15,000 a year. The
same contract was continued in 1912. The work was carried on, but not much
new work was started, as it took up all funds to keep up the standard of
the year before. Again in November, 1913, a new contract was agreed upon,
and $18,000 was given for the year. New branches were started and the
service to the older branches much improved.
In 1911, the County Free Library Law was amended, and we are now
working under Section 16 of this law. The only important change was the
adding of the phrase "Including incorporated cities and towns therein."
We have now eighteen branches with reading rooms. These include the
libraries placed in Livermore, Hayward, and Pleasanton town libraries. The
reading rooms are well supplied with the current magazines and daily papers,
and are open, in most cases, every afternoon and evening but one. En-
cyclopedias have been placed in the larger branches, also other reference
books. The farmers' bulletins from the Government and important docu-
ments from the University of California are received.
There are two or three prints on the walls of even our smallest branches.
Labels have been made for the frames of these pictures, to hold a slip, ex-
plaining the pictures and giving the artist's name and title of picture. There
are between three and four thousand stereographic views in the County
system and these are all in each of the branches at some time during the
year. Two stereoscopes to be used with these views remain in each branch.
The stereographs are an important feature of the library work, the subjects
being so varied. All important countries of the world are represented by sets
of about one hundred views. Then there are sets on the industries of the coun-
tries, sets on natural history, and one on battleships. The people who do not care
to read, come to the branch to look at these stereographs. Teachers use
them in connection with their geography work in the schools. Panama and
Mexico are in the greatest demand at present.
We found the radioptican purchased the year before had proved so sat-
isfactory that we decided to add to this department. So a balopticon was
purchased. This is much like the radioptican, but we felt possibly a little
in advance in results.
These machines with instructions for their use are sent out to the branches
to remain for a few weelis. Post cards in sets are sent also, which the ma-
cliines reflect and enlarge. Someone in the community is always found
who is willing to explain the cards and make the evenings enjoyable. These
picture-evening entertainments are open to every one, though they are almost
too modest to be called entertainments.
Some fourteen colored Berlin prints have been purchased for the County.
These will be sent from branch to branch so the entire County may enjoy
A branch was established at Albany in Decemlser. The people of the
community rented the room on Main Street and furnished the tables, chairs
and book cases. The room is very attractive, the attendance and circulation
satisfactory. Mrs. Elizabeth SI Hanxllton is the efficient attendant. Her
knowledge of people and books makes her a valuable addition to our County
staff. The town trustees pay $5 a month toward buying books, and show
in many ways their interest in their new library.
A branch was opened in Dublin, May 21st. The library occupies a room
in the store facing the main road. Mr. Green, the owner of the 'building, had
burlap put on the walls and a window and door put in so that the library
is quite an attractive place. MJrs. Lawrence is the attendant. Here, as in
every library we have started, we had a public opening. The people came
from all about in numbers, until we wondered where they had all come
For some time we had a deposit of books at Alviso school attended to
by the principal. This did very well, but we decided in June to make it a
regular branch library, so we have a room in the home of Mrs. Frank
George. This room is open to the street and is used only for the library.
Mrs. George is the attendant. The district is quite thickly settled and we
expect will make good use of the books and the reading room. Mr.
Greene spoke at the opening here, as he did at the opening at Albany.
Mrs. Runckel, the attendant at Niles, resigned in July and Mrs. Nichols
was appointed to fill the place. Mrs. Nichols' work has been most satis-
factory, as the steady growth of the Niles library shows.
The library at Irvington moved into new rooms in March. Formerly we
had one large room, too large to heat or light properly. The present place is
next door and is better adapted to the library needs. We have two rooms
and better lighting. The quarters at San Lorenzo became so crowded that
it was necessary to move to a larger room in the same building, the village
hall. The reading room is generally well filled with magazine and news-
paper readers both afternoons and evenings. The circulation from here is
larger than any other branch of its size in the County.
In Alvarado we were fortunate in having a vacant room next to our
library room. The partition was taken down, making it one large room.
Meetings of the attendants have been held in the County Library office
in Oakland. At these meetings we talk over and work out the problems
that are always present. We plan new work and criticise the work done.
The work with the County Jail has grrown during the past year. We
have a messenger service twice a week. The prisoners make their requests
and the boy fills them from the Oakland Library. There is no collection of
books in the jail. We continue to borrow books from the State Library for
the Law Library, whenever lawyers of Alameda County require material
not in the County. Books ready for discard have been sent out every month
to the County Infirmary, to be read there and then burned at the discretion
of the attending doctor. A few phonograph records have been sent to Alta-
mont on their request, as they had a machine in the community which
they could use. Altamont has no electricity, so could not have the benefit
of the radioptican and the records were sent to make up for this loss.
Some work has been done with Alameda and Berkeley in the way of
supplying special books, and in Alameda in the loaning of pictures.
Post cards with the map of Alameda County on the back have been
printed for use in correspondence. The map shows the location of the
libraries and gives a few figures.
The County Library had a booth at the Alameda County fair last year
and this year plans to be represented.
The circulation of books in the County has been steadily increasing,
amounting to about one thousand a month more than last year. The special
requests coming from our people and from other libraries in the State, have
been very large. We have been able to fill these requests from our library,
the Oakland Library, and the State Library.
The problem of properly housing our libraries will need to be considered
in the near future. The present rooms in many cases are too small. With
larger space better work can be done. We hope to find the people of the
towns ready to help when the time comes.
The County Library in California has well passed the experimental
stage, and has become a strong factor in the twenty- six counties in which
it is working, many of the counties growing in a remarkable way. Los
Angeles, for instance, last year received $40,000 for the county work and this
year expects to nearly double that amount.
Chief of Department.
Number of borrowers — established branches
Number of borrowers — County at large
Total number of books sent to stations
Circulation of stations
Total number of books sent to schools
Total number of books in office
Count of bound volumes, July 6, 1913.
Borrowed from Teachers' Library. . .
Total bound volumes, July, 1914.
Branches — Date of Opening.
Albany Dec. 4, 1913
Altamont April 2, 1912
Alvarado Dec. 7, 1910
Centerville Dec. 2, 1910
Decoto Dec. 11, 1910
Dublin May 21. 1914
Irvington April 4. 1911
Mission San Jose. Dec. 10,1910
Mt. Eden Feb. 1, 1911
Newark Sept. 4, 1911
Niles Feb. 2. 1911
San Lorenzo Dec. 1. 1910
Sunol Dec. 9, 1910
Warm Springs Feb. 20, 1912
Deposit Stations —
Alviso Feb. 27. 1911
Hayward April 12, 1911
Liverm.ore Sept.. 1911
Pleasanton May 29, 1911
Request Books —
County Jail July, 1911
Borrowers — County at large.
Books in office and schools.
Gaylord Bros., Inc.
T.M. Reg. U.S. Pat. Off.
THE UNIVERSITY OF CAUFORNIA UBRARY