(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "The French Protestant (Huguenot) Church in the city of Charleston, South Carolina"

'02 

^ 1 

;76 I 

GENEALOGY COLlJECTIOT^ I 



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY 




3 1833 02301 0652 



Digitized by the Internet Arciiive 

in 2010 with funding from 

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center 



http://www.archive.org/details/frenchprotestantOOinchar 



THE 



o 



FRENCH PROTESTANT. 

(HUGUENOT) 

CHURCH IN THE CITY OF CHARLESTON , 



SOUTH CAROLINA. 



1510676 

APPEAL 

OF 

^\]Q prench Profesfant (^^^u^uenot) (;l7arcl7, 

IN THE GITY OF CHARLESTON, S. G. 



The French Protestant Church, of Cliarleston, South Caro- 
lina, a sketch of which accompanies this paper, was founded 
more than two centuries ago by emigrants to South Carolina, 
driven from their homes by persecution for their faith and 
later bj the revocation of the Edict of Xantes. 

Its sister Churches, established by their fellow refugees in 
various portions of the Colony gradually succumbed to the 
wasting force of time, and the formation of new ties and asso- 
ciations, and have ceased to exist. The Congregations founded 
by their co-religionists in the other Colonies of America have 
also become scattered and have passed away. So this Chm-cli 
remains the only distinctive Huguenot Congregation in all 
this broad land. During these centuries of its existence, the 
Huguenot Church in Charleston experienced all forms of dis- 
aster — flood, fire, invasion, earthquake. By the blessing of 
Clod and the earnest, faithful devotion of its founders and their 
descendants, it has preserved its existence. The tablets upon 
its walls, the tombs and graves in the cemetery around it com- 
memorate the names, and embalm the merits of the first em- 
igrants and of their descendants, who sleep within its shadow. 
Sunday after Sunday within its sacred walls is repeated the 
simple and beautiful liturgy brought by their fathers from 
the vine clad hills and fertile valleys of France, and the songs 
of Zion which gave hope, confidence and endurance to Hugue- 
not Martyrs, resound within its walls. The struggle for its 
life was hard, earnest, sustained by undying faith and sup- 



ported bv uiifailiiiir couraije. But these years of endurance 
and sufferiuiT liave made their mark. Tlie funds which 
sustained tlie Church have grown smaller. The fortunes 
of its supporters have been impaired or wrecked. The 
necessities of tlie times have prevented the congregation 
from giving the pecuniary aid which it needs, and they are 
now threatened with the sad necessity of closing their Church 
forever. To prevent this calamity, they have determined to 
make one last effort. They seek to estal)lisli a permanent 
fund by means of which their Church may be preserved through 
all time, as the memorial of the virtues, the suffering, the 
heroism and the martvi'dom of their Huo^uenot fathers. A 
memorial, not in stone and bronze, but a living temple of God, 
in which shall sound ever praise and prayers to the great Father 
who lias so miraculously preserved their ancestors and them- 
selves, in which shall be preserved and taught the simple tenets 
and the holy faith, which nerved the arms and strengthened 
the hearts of Huguenots in time of disaster, famine, perse- 
cution, rapine and ruin. A living memorial of the truth of 
the Gospel, shedding its light, and extending its beneficial 
influence abroad. 

To this end they cordially and affectionately invite the aid of 
all descendants of Huguenots in this and in other lands, 
asking their liberal co-operation and assistance in this holy 
work, sacred and dear to them as well as to tliemselves. The 
fund will be carefully invested and religiously preserved. The 
Church can thus be made a monument in all the coming years 
to the children of Protestant France, of the grand endurance, 
and sublime courage of their forefathers. 

HENRY A. DeSAUSSURE. 

CHARLES H. SIMONTON. 

WM. C. RAYEiSTEL, M. D., 

ISAAC HAMMOND, 

JAS. S. MAZYCK, 

Committee. 



THE HUGUENOT CHURCH, 

CHARLESTON, S. C. 

FOUNDED 1681-.2 



Huguenots were strangely a part of the very beginning 
of American history. The first Protestant settlement npon 
this Continent was that of Jean Ribaut, within the present 
limits of South Carolina. When the colony failed, from Provi- 
dential canses, and the permanent occupation of the State 
was adjourned for more than a century, we find Huguenot 
names among the immigrants who came in 16T0, with the 
first English Governor, William Sayle. 

The first child born in New York City was Jean 
Yigne, and the first born in Albany, 'New York, was Sarah 
Pappelyea — children of Huguenot parents. Peter Stuyvesant, 
the famous Dutch Governor of New York, married Judith 
Bayard, the daughter of a Huguenot minister, and the Gover- 
nor's sister, in turn, married a Bayard. The Yice- Governor 
of New York, DeLille, was a Huguenot. In 1670, one- 
fourth of the population of New York City were Huguenots. 

The Pilgrim Colony of Plymouth, Massachusets, was of date 
1620, and among the passengers of the Mayflower, who formed 
that colony, was one who has been regarded as the typical 
Puritan Maiden — Priscilla, the heroine of history, romance, 
poetry and art; the Priscilla of Miles Standish, John Alden 
and the poet Longfellow — Priscilla Molines, the daughter of 
William Molines, a Huguenot. 

John Esten Cooke, the historian of Yirginia, says of the 
Huguenot colony which came to that State in 1699 — "They 
infused a stream of rich and pure blood into Yirginia society. ' ' 

In 16 80, the date of the settlement of the present City of 



riiarleston, Smith Carolina, a colony of Ilngnenots arrived 
there, having been sent out by tlie English Government to 
enltivate oil, wine and silk. But the larger immigration came 
in 1085-6, when French Protestants flocked to the State in 
irwixt iinnil)ers. Thev formed four settlements, one in the 
City of Charleston, and the other three in the country. Each 
of these settlements had its Church. The people were remark- 
al)le for their piety, industry and probity, and for the harmony 
and identity of feeling and interest in which they lived. 

The three Churches of French Protestants outside of the 
city were, after a time, merged in the established Church of 
the colony. The Church of England became established in 
1706. Too poor to sustain, uninterrupted, by their own reli- 
gious ordinances, subject to great disabilities had they been 
able; offered support for their Church and minister by the 
established Church, they gradually yielded. Practically, they 
did not conform to Episcopal authority until after the decease 



of their Huguenot ministers. 



The Huguenot Church established in the City of Charles- 
ton, however, retained its autonomy and identity, and continues 
to this day. Its first recognized Pastor was Elias Prioleau, 
who fled from France at the Revocation of the Edict of Xantes, 
in 1685; bnt there is the strongest reason for believing that 
the Church in Charleston was in full existence at tlie time of 
his ari-ival, and that it was served by a pastor who had come 
out with the colony in 1680, or soon thereafter. Fleeing to 
the new W(jrld for the privilege of free worship, it is scarcely 
necessary to have documentary proof of the fact that they 
organized themselvx^s into congenial Church relations without 
a moment's needless delay. The will of Ciesar Moze, made 
in 168", bt'(jneatlisa sum of money to the "Church of French 
Protestant Refugees," then existing, and the purpose of the 
bequest is to aid in tlie establishment of another Church in 
the country. Since that early period, the Huguenot Church 
of Charleston has continued, under a long succession of Pastors, 
until it is now — 181^8 — the onlv Church on this Continent 



7 

which retains the distinctive features of the Huguenot service. 
The Spiritual concerns of the Church are managed by a Consis- 
tory, composed of the Pastor, and a bench of Elders, elected 
by members of the Corporation. Its temporal concerns are 
controlled by the Corporation. The Confession of Faith was 
composed by John Calvin, and is that adopted by the Reform- 
ed Church of France in 1659. A liturgical form has always 
been used in the Church. The liturgical form first adopted 
is believed to have been that of the Church at Geneva. After 
the fii'e of 1740, which destroyed all the records of the Church, 
the Liturgy of Xeufchatel and Yallangin Avas adopted, and 
is still in use. From the year 1816 to 1819, the French lan- 
guage was partially disused — preaching alternating between 
this and the English. This gave much dissatisfaction, and 
a return to the exclusive use of French was made. But that 
tongue had largely ceased to be spoken or understood, espec- 
ially by the young, and, therefore, in 1828, it was determmed 
to employ only the English tongue in the service. 

The French Liturgy was referred to a committee of eminent 
gentlemen for translation. This translation is that which has 
ever since been used in the Church. Some changes were 
made in the order and aranagement of the liturgy of Xeufchatel 
and Yallangin, and some additions, copied from the book of 
the French Church in London and kindi'ed sources. Some 
occasioanl and concluding prayers were supplied. The sources 
from which the Book of Common Prayer was furnished were 
laid under tribute. As the Reformed Church of France 
had no burial service — their funerals being in silence, and at 
night, because otherwise prohibited by the Government, the 
committee had either to prepare one entirely nevr, or adopt 
one already in use. They chose the Scriptural and impressive 
burial service of the Protestant Episcopal Church. Following 
the example of the Church of France, this Church has always 
kept Christmas, Good Friday and Easter. 

The present beautiful and chaste Church edifice is believed 
to be the f oui*th upon the present site — the others having 



crivt'ii way, in nirii. To new ones, and one being swept away 
in a great tire wliicli visited Cliarleston. .Tlie Clmrcli now 
used for worship is ])nrely Gotliic in architecture, and chaste 
and classic in all its appointments. It was competed and occu- 
pied in ^favjl^irl-r). Its interior is adorned with mural tablets 
of great beauty and interest. One to a generous benefactor 
of the Chun-h in later days, ^fr. J. F. D. Lanier, of Xew York 
Citv. and this stone also records the nmnificent gift of his son, 
^[r. Charles Lanier, for the restoration of the Church building 
after the cartlupiake of 188G. An elaborate and beautiful 
stained window, also erected by the Hon. Elihu I>. AVashlnirne, 
our embassador at Paris during the horrors of the French Com- 
mune, connnemorates the name of his wife, the grand daughter 
of General Gratiot, the companion in arms of the illustrious 
Huguenot, Francis ]\rarion. 



MURAL TABLETS IN THE HUGUENOT CHURCH, 
CHARLESTON, S. C. 

1699— Rev. ELIAS PRIOLEAU. Dedicated to the memory of Elias 
Prioleau, Minister of the Gospel according to the doctrines 
of the Reformed Church of France. A native of Pons in 
Saintonge. He was one of the Emigrants, who, on the Rev- 
ocation of the Edict of Nantes, sought freedom of conscience 
in South Carolina. When he commenced his Ministerial 
labors in France is not known ; but some of his Manuscript 
addresses, still preserved, show that he was engaged in them 
in 1677. In this country he continued those labors as Minister 
of this Church. His father, Samuel Prioleau, son of Antonio 
Prioli, was born in Venice about 1618 ; was educated in France, 
where he embraced the doctrines of the Reformation, and 
became a Minister of Christ, first at Rochelle, and afterwards 
at Pons, at tvhich place he died in 1683. The Rev. Elias Prio- 
leau died in the autumn of 1699, at his farm on Midway, now 
Back River, in St. James Goose Creek; and there, his remains 
repose. This tablet is erected by several of his descendants, 
worshippers in this edifice, built on the site of that in which 
he preached. 1850. 

1735-1770-1835— ISAAC MAZYCK, axd his sons, ISAAC AND PAUL 
MAZ YCK. In memory of Isaac Mazyck ; born at St. Martin, 
in the Isle of Rhe, 11th of June, 1661, left France in 1685, in 
consequence of the Revocation of the Edict of Nantz, settled 
in South Carolina in 1686, and died 7th of March, 1735; and of 
his eldest son, Isaac Mazyck ; bom in Charleston, 6th of 
March, 1700, died 25th of July, 1770. He was many years a 
leading member of the Provincial Assembly, and was appointed 
one of the Assistant Judges of the Province in 1740. Their 
remains were interred at the East end of the old French Pro- 
testant Church, and are now covered by this building. This 
monument is erected in obedience to the testamentary direc- 
tions of Paul Mazyck, sixth son of the latter, who was bom 
4th January, 1744, and died 6th June, 1835. His remains are 
deposited in the cemetery of this church, 

1716— LOUIS GOURDIN. Louis Gourdin, the ancestor of the family 
of Gourdin in South Carolina, was born in the Province of 
Artois, France, a Huguenot, and on the Revocation of the 
Edict of Nantz in ] 685, a refugee, he came to the Province of 
Carolina, settled on the Echaw, near the Santee River, and died 



10 

in IT 16. Time has consigned to oblivion liis rirtues and his 
frailties; nevertheless, venerating his steadfastness to prin- 
ciple, and grateful that, under the Divine guidance. he has given 
them an inheritance in a land blessed with civil and religious 
liberty, the fourth and fifth generations of his descendants 
dedicate this tablet to his name and memory. "The lines have 
fallen unto me in X)leasant places." 1860. 

IT'26- 1727— ISAAC PORCHER, M. D., and his wife, CLAUDE 
CHERIGNY. In memory of Isaac Porcher, M. D., a native 
of Severe, Province of Berry, in France; and of his wife, 
Claude Cherigny, a native of La Roche Posay, Touralne. 
Attached to the faith professed by the French Protestant 
Church, they sought a refuge from persecution after the Rev- 
ocation of the Edict of Nantes, first in England, and afterwards 
in the Province of Carolina, w^here they found a home in the 
Parish of St. James, Berkeley County. After a union of forty- 
four years and eleven months, she died September 10th, 1726, 
aged sixty-five years and four months; he died March, 1727. 
This tablet is erected in iKirsuance of the Intention of Samuel 
Porcher,_of St. Stephens, their great grandson. 1859. 

PETER CHARLES GAILLARD— Fifth in descent from Pierre 
Gaillahi). the Huguenot, of Poltou, France. Born December 
29th, 1S12, died January 11th, 1889. An Elder of this Church. 
1861-1865, Colonel 27th Regt., S. C. V. C. S. A. 1866, Mayor 
of Charleston. "The memory of the just is blessed." 

1761— ANTOINE de SAUSSURE and HENRI de SAUSSURE. Ax- 
TOINE DE Saussure, Selgneur de Dommartin, et de Monteull, 
near Amance. France, having embraced the principles of the 
Reformation. al)undoiied his dignities and estates In Lorraine, 
and fled witli liis family from persecution into Switzerland in 
1551, where he was an influential advocate of the Protestant 
faith. He took a b(jld and active part in the cause of the Refor- 
mation at Metz, Strasbourg, Geneva and Neufchatel; from 
the latter of whit-h this church derives its Liturgical Ssrvlces, 
Between John Calvin and himself there existed a close friend- 
Hhijj, as evinced by their reciprocal letters still preserved by 
the })rancli of the family residing at Geneva. His descendants 
continue true to the Reformed Faith: one of them, Henri de 
Saussure, removed from Lausanne, Switzerland, to South 
Carfilina, in 1 780, and settled as a planter in Beaufort District, 
where he died in 1761, highly esteemed and respected. A 
monumental stone near Coosawatchie, marks the place of his 
sepulture, and attests the filial piety of his children. In the 



11 

war of the Revolution his four sons, and a grandson, took an 
active part. In the cause of Independence, Louis and Thomas 
died on battle-fields : Henry from disease caused by exposures 
of the camp; Daniel, the eldest son, was a member of the 
Provincial Congress of South Carolina, and was one of the 
exiles to St. Augustine after the Capitulation of Charleston, 
in 1780; while his son, then a youth of seventeen years, after- 
wards Chancellor Henry Wm. deSaussure, was at the same time 
confined on board a British Prison Ship in Charleston Harbour. 
In veneration of men thus devoted to civil ana religious liberty, 
their descendants and relatives have erected this monument. 
1859. 

1736_ELIAS HORRY. To the memory of Elias Horry, the vener- 
able ancestor of the Horrys of South Carolina. He was born 
in France in the year 1664, and was the son of an Elder of a 
church in Paris, who died a martyr, for the Protestant faith, 
when the Edict of Nantes was Revoked by Louis XIV in 1685. 
Escaping the persecution, he fled to Holland, thence to En- 
gland, and came to South Carolina about the year ] 690, and 
settled near the Santee, in the Parish of St. George Winyaw, 
where he resided forty-six years. He died in Charleston on 
the 25th of September, 1736, aged seventy-two years, and was 
buried in the cemetery of the French Church. ''The South 
Carolina Gazette,^^ which records his death, states that he was 
"one of the oldest settlers in thePro\'ince, and who, by his 
merits and services to the country, had left behind him a very 
good character." Elias, the son of Thomas, and grandson of 
Col. Elias Horry, erects this monument to the memory of his 
great grandfather. 1825. 

1 799— DANIEL HUGER. In memory of Daxiel Huger, bora in South 
Carolina February 20th, J 741 ; died July 6th, 1799. 

1873— DANIEL RAVENEL. Damel Ravenel, son of Daniel Rav- 
enel, of Wantoot, in St. John's Parish, Berkeley, and Cath- 
erine Prioleau, his wife, was born the 26th October, 1789, and 
died in this city the 7th September, 1873, in his 84th year. 
From early youth to latest age he obeyed the Commandments 
of God and the precepts of, Jesus. Religion assimilated his 
spiritual nature, sanctifjdng the passions, the affections, 
the intellect, and he was righteous, pure and holy amid 
the trials and temptations of life. He walked humbly with 
God. His Christianity was catholic, and the charities of his 
heart widened and deepened as he grew in years. The moral 
and material interests of his native State and City had always 
his enlightened support. In manners grave, yet genial in 
■ temper, warm anvl steadfast in friendship, sincerely courteous, 
his influence refined and elevated society. Of Huguenot 



12 

lineage, descended (through the emigrant Rene Ravenel, of 
Bretagne. and the Rev. Elias Prioleau, in 1 686, Pastor at Pons, 
in Siuntonge. and i»r()l)ably the first Minister of this Church) 
from Pastors and Eklers of the Reformed Church of France, 
the stem adherence of his ancestors to their Protestant faith 
stirred the chivah-y of his soul ; he venerated the Church for 
which they suffered; its tenets satisfied his judgment; the 
spirituality of its simple worship was in harmony with his 
religious nature; the solemnity of its quiet Ritual, with his 
deej) reverence when communing with God. The re\'ival of 
this ancient Church was a fixed purpose of his life ; his intellect, 
his theological and ecclesiastical learning, his force, when heart 
and judgment concentrated their strength, fitted him for the 
work, and when the time for its accomplishment had come, he 
was, under Providence, the chiefest human instrument through 
which prayer, thanksgiving and praise ascend once more from 
this Church of our fathers to their and to our God. He assisted 
in the translation of the Liturgy. Thirty-eight years an Elder, 
and. for the last twenty-seven, President of the Church, his 
wisdom guided its councils, in difficulties of organization, his 
piety and moderation bound it together in harmony. To per- 
petuate the remembrance of this life, vnth gratitude to God 
that it was largely dedicated to its service, the Church lovingly 
erects this monument. 1880, 

J882— ST. JULIEN RAVENEL, M. D., Aetat LXII. Chemist, 
Naturalist, Philosopher. His delight was in Science ; Know- 
edge was more to him than Fame and Fortune. His labois en- 
riched the community. His discoveries were free to mankind. 
The Agricultural Society of South Carolina, grateful for his 
work and example, erect this memorial of his genius and worth, 

JAMES F. D. LANIER, of New York. Bom November 22, 1800, 
at Washington, Beaufort County, No. Ca. Died August 27th, 
IHHl . Tliis tablet commemorates a generous benefactor of this 
Church, and peri)etuates vWthin its walls the name of his son, 
Charles Lanier, also of New York, who gave munificently 
to its restoration after the destructive earthquake of 31st 
August, 1886. 1H87. 

Stained Glass Window. 

In Memtiriam. GRATIOT WASHBURNE. Born at Galena, Illinois, 
May 6, 1849. Died at Louisville, Ky., Dec. 17, 1886. 

In Memoriam. ADELE GRATIOT WASHBURNE. Born at Galena, 
Illinois, Nov. 12, 1826. Died at Chicago, Illinois, March 
18, 1887. 



RULES 



OF THE 



FEENGH PROTESTANT GHDECH 



IN THE CITY OF 



CHARLESTON, S. C. 



ADOPTED AFTER REVISION, 



March 7th, 1869. 



Press of 

WALKER, EVANS & COGSWELL COMPANY, 

Charleston, S. C. 

1898. 



1510676 



RULES 



OF THE 



^rencl? Protestant (£F?urcl?, 

IN THE CITY OF 

CHAKLESTO^^, SOUTH CAEOLIXA. 



PEE AMBLE 



The cliiircli now recognized in law, by the corporate name of 
' ' The French Protestant Chnrch in the city of Charleston, ' ' was 
founded by French Protestant Christians, who having left 
France to avoid the persecution which followed the Revocation 
of the Edict of ]S"antz, in the year 1685, sought civil and reh- 
gious liberty in South Carolina • Its tenets are contained in the 
articles entitled ^^ Confession de Foi^ faite d\in commun 
accord j^ar les Eglises reformees du Boycmme de France. ' ' 
And its government and discipline were, as far as local circum- 
stances permitted, in accordance with the principles laid down 
and explained in the book entitled "" Le discijpline Ecclesi- 
astiqiie des Eglises Beformees de France-''^ Its worship 
was liturgical • The book used, as far back as memory extends, 
is an edition in quarto, entitled ^' La Littirgie oti la Maniere 
de Gelebrer le Service Divin ^que est etahlie dans les Eglises 
dc la Principatde de Neiifcliatel et Yallangin. Scconde Edi- 
tion. Revue et a Corrigee a Neafchatel^ chez Jonas Gallandre 
<& Convpagnie, 17 37-''^ The psalmody of the church was con- 
ducted according to the book entitled Zes Pseaumes de David ^ 
mis en rime Francoise^ par Clement 2farot et Theodore de 
Beze: in which Book the Psalms are set to music. But the 
worship of the church, for a long time subject to interruptions, 



16 

in ooii>ieqnenco of tlie necessity of procuring Ministers from 
Europe, had for years been suspended, partly for the reason 
jnst stated, but cliieHy on account of a gradual dispersion of 
tlie families of members among churches in which the ser- 
vices were conducted in English. This being the language 
of the country, liad become the language of the descendants 
«»f tlie Ki-('iu'h. A corresponding change in the services of 
tlie church was not made in due time. Its necessity, slowly 
a<lniitted, eventually led to measures for effecting a translation 
<»f the Liturgies into English; which work having been accom- 
plished, an edition was printed, by order of the Corporation, 
in is-m- 

The church owns an ancient endowment from the Lords 
Proprietors of the Province of Carolina, of two lots on the 
East side nf King street in Charleston, designated in the Plan 
<tf the town by numbers 92 and 93 ;i also the lots at the South 
east corner of Church and Queen streets, supposed to form the 
original site of the church, and to have been acquired by 
])nrcliase. 

( )n part of the latter, a new and more commodious House of 
Worship, on the original site and partly on the foundation 
of tlie former house, was commenced in 1844, completed in 
1S4.') and dedicated to the service of God on the 11th of 
May. ill tli(.' latter year. 

Tim- ]>i-o\ idt'd with means, with a pure and scriptural liturgy 
in a language familiar to us, and with a convenient edifice, 
this ancient church again gathered a congregation deeply 
interestccl in its history and prospects, to whom di\dne wor- 
shij) and sacred instrnction, according to the forms and prin- 
ciples oi' its founders, have been afforded. 

\\u\ <'\|»eri('nce has sliown that some changes are necessary 
and j»r(.|M'i- in tlic system iiiidt'i- which the revival of our ser- 
vices was comiiH'iH'cd. 

In hund)lr trust, therefore that the blessing of God will 

' The necessities (>f tlie Chnrch forced the sale of these lots about 



17 

rest on the right use of the means and privileges vouchsafed 
to us, the following rules are adopted. 

AETICLE I. 

The services of this Chiu'ch shall, in accordance with former Liturgies to 

-TT-r ^^ used. 

usage, be conducted with an established Liturgy When 
conducted in the French language, the Liturgies of the Churches 
of Xeufchatel and Yallangin shall be used as heretofore, 
with the omission or alteration of such parts as are inapplica- 
ble to our local and civil relations. When conducted in the 
Enghsh language, the Liturgies used shall be those contained 
in the book prepared bj a Committee of the Corporation, 
entitled ^^The Liturgy of the French Protestant Churchy 
translated from the editions of 17 37 and 1772, jyiiblished at 
J^eufchatel^ vnth additional prayers car ef idly selected^ and 
some alterations j arranged for the use of the Congregation in 
the City of Charleston^ S. C, printed at Charleston^ hy Jarties 
S. Purges, 1836 "or in such new and amended edition of the 
same as shall have been approved and authorized bj the Con- 
sistory of this Church, and also bv the Corporation. 

The several services of tliis book may be used on any occasions 
of public worship, ^^dthout regard to the day of the week for 
which they are designed, provided the Consistory authorize such 
use of them. 

AETICLE II. 

There shall be two stated meetings of the Corporation an- Meetings of 
nually viz. on the second Mondays of January and July. 

Special meetings may be called by order of the President, 
or by the Secretary at request of any seven members of the 
Corporation, expressed to him in wi'iting. The business for 
which special meetings are called must be stated in general 
terms in the notice; and at such meeting no other business 
shall be transacted. 

iTen members of the Corporation shall constitute a quorum. Quorum and 

^ -*- adjournments 

^ "Seven " now. 



IS 

U tlii'iv Ik.' not a (iiioniin, tlie lllelnl)er^; may adjourn to some 
uthcr tinit.', and from time to time, nntil there be a quorum. 

Everv adjonrniiKMit sliall l>e considered a continuance of 
tlic mcctinir licld. or intended to be held. 
Notices. Notice of tlic stated meetings sliall be given in two news- 

papers of tlic citv. not less tlian three times in each. 

Special meetings shall be called by notice in two newspapers 
uf the citv, three times in each, or bv immediate written 
notice from the Secretary to each member. 

One (lavs notice in two newspapers shall be sufhcient for 
anv adjijurned meeting. But if the adjournment be made 
bv a meetino^ with a (piormn for business, then the mode and 
leuirth of notice mav l)e determined bv the meeting. 

AETICLE III. 
Election by At the stated meeting in January, in every year, or if the 

' orp<jralioD. " • i i i • 

election be not then made, at any sul)sequent meeting held m 
accordance with Article II., a President, who shall be ex- 
ojfirio an Elder, and Chairman of the Elders, and four other 
elders, a Treasurer, a Secretary, and an executive Committee 
of three members, shall Ije elected by ballot. They shall 
coiitinne in (jftice until the ammal election in January, or if it 
be not then made, until another election. 

ARTICLE IV. 

Temporal... ri- 'pi,(j temporal affairs of the Church shall continue under the 
control of tlie ('or])oration, who shall liave authority to direct 
in the management <jf the property, fix tlie pew rents, the 
Pastor's salary, and all other salaries, the term of services of 
the l*a>tor. and of all otlicer> and determine the general expen- 
<iitures. 
'uai ton- The spiritual concerns of the Church shall be manasred bv the 
I*a>tor and Elder.-, who >iiall form the Consistory. 

AirncLE V. 

Mii.iht.r. Tlic Minister of tlii> Chui-ch >hall he one ordained in con- 

iioiiiitiittion of. 

formity with the pi-inciples thereof. It shall be the oftice of 



19 

the Elders to select and nominate a Minister approved for 
piety and doctrine, to the Corporators who shall have anthoritv 
to approve or reject such nomination by ballot. 

ARTICLE YL 

Wlien the nomination of a Minister is to be submitted to Minister, 

election or. 

the Corporators a meeting shall be called for the purpose by 
the President, or by the Elders, within 15 days after the 
nomination shall have been made. Such meetings may be 
adjourned from time to time. 

ARTICLE YII. 



In order that the holy influence of the pastoral office may Minister 
not be impaired by the collisions which sometimes arise in the meetings, 
transactions of business, but that it may be reserved to promote 
harmony and brotherly love, the Minister shall not be present 
at any meetings of the Corporation. 

ARTICLE YIII. 

During a vacancy of the pulpit, the Elders may make such Temporary 
temporary arrangements for Divine Service, as they shall ap- pit. 
prove, not to extend beyond the first meeting of the Corpor- 
ation thereafter. 

ARTICLE IX. 

1^0 collection shall be made, but by consent of the Elders coUection. 
except the alms of the Holy Communion. 

ARTICLE X. 

The Minister for the time being, shall keep a Register of Register and 
Marriages, Births, Baptisms, Deaths and Burials, and give 
certificates therefrom when required. 

This Register shall be kept in a book provided for the pur- 
pose, as the property of the Chm'ch. During a vacancy of 
the pastoral office, the Register shall be kept by the Treasurer, 



nittef. 



20 

who in such case aiul chiriii^r tlic absence of the Minister shaU 
be authitri/.iMl to orive certificates tlierefroin. 

AKTICLE XL 

;;;^* The Executive Connnittee to be elected imcler Article III, 
^hall be charired witli the general supervision of the Church 
edifice and nrher i)r(>]H'rty, real and personal of the Clmrch; 
and sliall counsel and direct the Treasurer and other temporal 
(itficers in all matters with which tliej may be respectively 
charired un<lcr our rules, subject always to the direction of 
the ( 'orporation. 

ARTICLE XII. 

The TreasuiHT >liall let the pews or parts of pews wdien 
vacant. In case of dispute between two or more apj^licants, 
he shall refer the matter to the Executive Committee. He 
shall let the Houses and Lands, and shall always do so by 
written lease He shall not make a lease for more than one 
year, but bv the consent of the Executive Committee, p-iven 
in writing. lie .shall invest moneys, but only with the appro- 
bation of the Executive Conmiittee, first obtained. He shall 
collect and dep(jsit all moneys in bank, in the corporate name 
of the Chui'ch, and shall draw the same under power of attor- 
ney from the Executive Committee, revocable by a majority 
of them at pleasure; and all payments shall be made by checks. 
He shall take charge of all the deeds, securities for money, 
certificates of stock and other property, of which he shall 
exhil>it a schedule at the stated meetings, and whensoever 
retjuirecl by the Executive Committee or Corporation. 

He shall at those meetings, and also when required as above, 
exhibit an account of his rec^eipts and payments, a list of the 
tenants of houses, and of ])ews and parts of pews, and the 
rents in arrear. He shall keep >iicli books as the Executive 
Committee may direct and ali the books kept by him are to 
ni»»)ond. be considered as Church ,])ro])erty. He shall, before he shall 
enter upon tin- duties of his offi-ce, give bond to the Corpor- 



21 

ation in the sum of $2000, with such security and condition 
as the Executive Committee shall approve. The bond to con- 
tinue in force so long as he shall continue in office under these 
rules and bv virtue of his first or any succeeding elections, 
and until he shall have finally and fully accounted and settled, 
and fulfilled his trust. The Executive Committee may require 
additional security at any time. The compensation of the Compensation 
Treasurer for his services, shall be fixed by the Executive 
Committee. 

AETICLE XIII, 

Pew-rents shall be paid semi-annually. The pews may be Pew Rents, 
rented to persons not members of the Corporation; provided 
that if there be any application for a pew by a member, such 
application shall always be preferred. 

AETICLE XIY. 

The Elders shall have chare^e of the Communion Plate, and Communion 

^ ' plate. 

direct by whom it shall be kept. 

AETICLE XY. 

The Secretary shall attend the meetings and keep a fair Secretary, 
journal of all proceedings of the Corporation, give notices of 
meetings in accordance mth Article II, and record their pro- 
ceedings. 

AETICLE XYI. 

A Clerk, Organist and Sexton maybe appointed by thccierk, organ- 
Elders. The offices of Clerk and Sexton may be united, in ^^^'^^^t^^- 
the discretion of the Elders. 

AETICLE XYIL 

Every white man of the age of twenty-one years, being a Membership 
citizen of South Carolina, a Protestant Christian, and a descen- ° °^p*^^^*io^ 
dant of the Huguenots, or a descendant of present or former 
members of this Corporation, or a Pew-holder in this Church 



22 

fihall be elitri^lo }^> Ji member of this Corporation. He shall 
applv h\ letter, read at one meeting and be ballotted for at 
any sn]).<t.MHU'nt meeting; and if two-thirds of the members 
present, l»allnt in liis favor, he shall on paying to the Treas- 
iiriT, t]ie sniii of ST) ])v a member. 

And every wliite man of the age of twenty-one years, who 
is a Pew-]i(tlder in tliis Clmrcli, shall so long as he holds a pew 
in thf sjiid Churcli, be considered a Corporator, and entitled 
tn all the Kights and privileges of the other Corporators under 
till' preeeeding part of this Ilule. 

Any member may l)e expelled upon motion made at one 
mi'C'ting. and determined at a subsequent meeting not less 
tlian a fiu'tnight thereafter, by a vote of three-fourths of the 
members present. 

No meml)er shall be entitled to a vote, who shall be in 
arrears, for one year, for pew rent. 



Sexton. 



Monuments. 



AKTICLE XYIII. 

The Sexton shall have charge of the Church and Churchyard 
and the opening of graves. No horse or other animal shall 
be suffered to remain in the Churchyard. 

No monument of any description, except Head and Foot 
stones, shall be erected in the vard. 



AKTICLE XIX. 

Interment*. M(iiilK'r> of tlic Corporation and their families, may be 

intcrrecl in tin- ( 'hurcliyard ; but in every case, Twenty Dollars 
hliall he ))ai<l the Treasurer. The Addows and descendants 
of formci- mcmhers interred therein, who are not worshippers 
in thi^ (hill-ell, and j)ersons who are not members, who shall 
have worshipjK'd in this Clmrch, one year immediately pre- 
eeeding their death, may he hiiried in the yard on the pay- 
ment of Tliirty Dollars to the Treasurer on a written order 
from one of the Executive Committee. Worshippers in this 
Churcli, being the widows and descendants of members, may 



23 

be buried upon the same terms as members. ^o other 
persons, but those above shall be buried in the yard. 

AKTICLE XX. 

Such fees shall be paid as are prescribed in the following Fees, 
table, ^dz: 

To the Minister^ 

For searching the Register $0 50 

For a certified copy from the same 1 00 

To the Clerh and Sexton^ 

For a Horse and Hearse 3 00 

To the Clerk for attendance at funerals, when required 1 00 
To the Sexton for opening a grave 2 00 

For attendance and opening yard for the purpose of 
having a monument erected therein, per dav 1 00 

ARTICLE XXI. 

IS"© part of this Constitution shall be altered or amended ; t]i^^ e^ffu{°" °* 
unless the pro^josed alteration or amendment, shall have been 
proposed and read a fii-st time at one meeting, and ordered to 
a second reading at a subsequent meeting and then adopted; 
provided, that the votes of two-thirds of the members present 
shall be necessary to such alteration or amendment. 

ARTICLE XXII. 

This Constitution shall be recorded in the book already pro- constitution 
vided for that purpose, and in the same book shall be kept a 
register of the names of all persons who now are or who shall 
hereafter become members of the Corporation, in their proper 
signatures, if practicable; those hereafter to be admitted, 
setting the date of admission opposite their names. 



6151 



:>■;;■: r-iB! 



i