Skip to main content

Full text of "The genealogy"

See other formats

Presented to 

of tbe 

of {Toronto 


1 / / 







The following pages contain all the information I have 
been able to get about the genealogy of the families from whom 
my wife and I are descended, and I have put my information 
into its present form for the benefit of my children, so that they 
may have a record of their descent. 

I obtained the particulars as to my father's family from an 
extract got by my uncle, Robert Abercrombie Pringle, from the 
Herald's College, Edinburgh, in 1812, and from a writing got by 
my brother George from Mary, Margaret and Grace, daughters 
of my uncle, John Pringle, Sheriff of Banffshire, when he was 
in Scotland in 1856, to which I have added some particulars 
given to me by A. Dingwall Fordyce, of Fergus, Esquire, and 
some from family tradition. The information about my mother's 
family is partly from family tradition, partly from a statement 
written by my grand-uncle, Thomas G. Anderson, and partly 
from public records of names of U. E. Loyalists and officers 
who served the King in the Revolutionary war. 

The particulars of my wife's family are derived in part 
from family tradition, but principally from written information 
given me by Geo. H. Macgillivray, of Charlottenburgh, Esquire. 

Cornwall, igth October, 1892. 



PRINGLE, a surname prevalent in the south of Scotland, a 
corruption, as Sir George Mackenzie conjectures, of the word 
" Pelerin" or " Pilgrim. " The account of the Pringles states that 
one Pelerin, who had gone on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, 
having settled in Teviotdale, his descendants were called from 
him " Hop Pringle," the prefix " Hop" being synonymous with 
the British "Ap" or the Irish " O," signifying a son or descend- 
ant. " Hop Pringle" is, therefore, supposed to have meant the 
son of the pilgrim. (Note I A.) 

The most ancient family of the name is in Teviotdale, 
where the name is numerous, and is " Hop Pringle" of that 
" Ilk," now designed of Torsonce. 

Escallops are the proper figures of those of the surname of 
Pringle. The arms of Pringle of Torsonce are ARGENT, a bend 
SABLE charged with three escallops OR, crest an escallop as the 
former, motto "Amicitia Reddit Honores," and supported on 
the dexter by a deer, sinister by a greyhound ARGENT with 
collars about their necks, SABLE charged with escallops OR, 
and upon the compartment are the words, " Pressa est insignis 
gloria facti." (Note I B.) 

The Torsonce estate (lying in the vale of Gala Water) went 
into the family of Pringle of Stitchell on the death of John 
Pringle, the last Laird of Torsonce, in 1738, without male issue, 
his only daughter, Margaret, having married Gilbert Pringle, of 
Stitchell. Torsonce afterwards got into the hands of Inglis, 
one of the directors of the unfortunate City of Glasgow Bank, 
and was sold in 1879. 

There is a charter of Robert de Lauder, Miles Dominus de 
Quarlewood, (see Note 13) to Thomas Borthwick, of some lands 

about Lauder, to which charter Thomas de Hop Pringle is one 
of the witnesses. 

There is an evident in the Haddington collection where 
King David the Bruce gives nil the lands belonging to Walter 
de Pringle, forfeited, lying in Teviotdale and Berwick, to John 
Pettilock, brother to William Pettilock Miles. (See Note I c.) 

The principal families of the Torsonce branch were the 
Pringles of Burnhouse, Hawtree, Glengyle, Rowchester and 
Lees in the Merse. 

Another branch of the Pringles were the descendants of 
the family of Whitsome, Berwickshire, afterwards designed of 
Smailholm and Galashiels. Robert Pringle, of Whitsome, was 
at the battle of Otterbourne in 1388. He built or repaired the 
tower of Smailholm on an eminence on the farm of Sandy 
Knowe, where Sir Walter Scott spent some years of his boyhood. 
The son and successor of this Robert Pringle built a draw-bridge 
over the Tweed, with a tower in the centre. A stone taken 
from the Tweed bore this inscription : 

" I, Robert Pringle, of Pilmore Stede, 
Gie a hundred nobles of gowd sae md, 
To help to bigg my brigg ower Tweed." 
(See Note 2.) 

There are also the Pringles of Torwoodlee, Whytbankj 
Clifton, Haining, Blyndlee, Stitchell, etc. (See Vol. in. of 
"The Scottish Nation," pages 305, 306, 307, 308, 309.) 

The Pringles of Stitchell have added the crtst and motto of 
the Pringles of Torsonce (as already given) to their own, which 
are as follows : CREST, a Saint Andrew's cross or saltire, 
surrounded by a wreath ; MOTTO, " Coronal Fides." (See De 
Brett's Baronetage, 1885.) 


Abercrombie, or Abercromby, a surname derived from a 
barony of that name in Fifeshire "Aber" meaning " beyond," 
" Crombie" the crook in allusion to the bend or crook of Fife- 


ness. The parish was known by the name of Abercrombie so 
far back as 1174. 

In the 1 7th century Abercrombie of Birkenbog, Banffshire, 
became the head of the clan of Abercrombie. In 1637 Alex- 
ander Abercrombie, of Birkenbog, was created a baronet of 
Scotland and Nova Scotia, and distinguished himself as a 
Royalist during the Civil wars. The baronetcy is still in the 
family. (See De Brett, 1885.) The famous General Sir Ralph 
Abercrombie, who was killed at the battle of Alexandria, in 
Egypt, in March, 1801, was a great grandson of Sir Alexander 
Abercrombie, the first baronet. 


Baird, a surname of ancient standing in Scotland. The 
family of this name have for arms GULES, a boar passant OR. 
Tradition states that while William the Lion was hunting in one 
of the south-west counties he happened to straggle from his 
attendants and was alarmed by the approach of a wild boar, 
which was slain by one of his retinue of the name of Baird, 
who hastened to his assistance. For this service the King con- 
ferred upon him large grants of land and assigned to him the 
above coat of arms, with the motto, " Dominus fecit." There 
is a charter of King Robert the Bruce of the barony of Cambus- 
nethan to Robert Baird. 

From the Bairds of Ordinhivas, in Banffshire, descendants 
of the family of Cambusnethan, came the Bairds of Auch- 
medden, in Aberdeenshire, who were long the principal family 
of the name and for several generations sheriffs of that county. 

George Baird, of Auchmedden, who was alive in 1568, 
married Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander Keith, of Troup, 
brother of the Earl Marischall. (See Note 3.) 

The celebrated General Sir David Baird was descended 
from a junior branch of the Bairds of Auchmedden. 

The estate of Auchmedden was purchased by the third Earl 
of Aberdeen from the Bairds, on which, according to a local 


tradition, a pair of eagles which had regularly nested and 
brought forth their young in the neighboring rocks of Pennan, 
disappeared, in fulfilment of an ancient prophecy by Thomas 
the Rhymer, that there should be an eagle in the crags while 
there was a Baird in Auchmedden. It is stated that when Lord 
Iladdo, eldest son of the Earl, married Christian, youngest 
daughter of William Baird, of Newbyth, and sister of General 
Sir David Baird, the eagles returned to the rocks and remained 
till the estate passed into the hands of the Honorable William 
Gordon, when they again fled. 


The surname of Ogilvy is derived from a barony in the parish 
of Glammis, Forfarshire, which about 1163 was conferred by 
William the Lion on Gilbert, ancestor of the noble family of 
Airlie. He was the third son of Gillibrede Maormor, of Angus, 
who fought at the battle of the Standard in 1138. The barony 
of Cortachy was acquired by the Ogilvies in 1369-70. 

In 1392 Sir Walter Ogilvy, of Wester Powrie and Auchter- 
house, sheriff of Angus, was slain with sixty of his followers at 
Gasklune, near Blairgowrie, in endeavoring to repel an incursion 
of the Clan Donachy (the clan now called Robertson. ) Among 
the slain at the battle of Harlaw in 1411 was his eldest son 
"The brave Lord Ogilvy of Angus, sheriff principal," of the 
old ballad of the "Battle of Harlaw. " Sir Walter Ogilvy, the 
second son of Sir Walter Ogilvy, of Wester Powrie and Auchter- 
house, was in 1425 constituted Lord High Treasurer of Scotland, 
and in 1434 he attended the Princess Margaret into France on 
her marriage with the Dauphin. By an order from the King he 
erected the tower or fortalice of Eroly, or Airly, in Forfarshire, 
into a Royal castle. He married Isabel de Durward, heiress of 
Lintrathen, leaving two sons, from the elder of whom, Sir John 
Ogilvy, of Lintrathen, sprang the Earls of Airly. The Earls of 
Findlater and Seafield and the Lords of Banff sprang from the 


second son, Sir Walter Ogilvy, of Auchleven, who in 1437 by 
his marriage with the daughter and heiress of Sir John Sinclair, 
of Deskford and Findlater, (killed at the battle of Harlaw), 
acquired these lands, which became the distinctive possessions 
of his family. 

The title of Earl of Findlater was first conferred on James, 
second Lord Ogilvy, of Deskford, Banffshire, 2Oth February, 
1638. He was the son of Sir Walter Ogilvy, of Deskford and 
Findlater, (created Lord Ogilvy October, 1616), and his 
second wife, Lady Mary Douglas, third daughter of the Earl of 
Morton, being sixth in descent from Sir Walter Ogilvy, of 
Auchleven, who married the daughter and heiress of Sir John 
Sinclair, as above mentioned. 

James, the third Earl of Findlater, had three sons ist, 
Walter, who died before his father ; 2nd, James, the Chancellor 
and the first Earl of Seafield and fourth Earl of Findlater ; and, 
3rd, Colonel the Honorable Patrick Ogilvy, of Lounmay, who 
married, first, Elizabeth Baird, daughter of William Baird, of 
Auchmedden, and widow of Sir Alexander Abercrombie, of 
Birkenbog. (See Note 4.) 

The Earldom of Findlater became extinct in 1811. Those 
of Airly and Seafield are still in existence. 




Sir Alexander Abercrombie, of Birkenbog, Banffshire, (the 
first baronet), married Elizabeth Baird, daughter of William 
Baird, of Auchmedden (Aberdeenshire), by whom he had issue, 
1st, Sir James, who succeeded his father, and whose descendants 
have the title and estates. 2nd, Alexander, who was bred to 
the Scottish bar He acquired the estate of Tulliebody, and 
was father to George, who was father to the famous General Sir 
Ralph Abercrombie, who was killed at the battle of Alexandria, 


in Egypt, in 1801. 3rd, a daughter named Anne, who was 
married to Thomas Cargill, of Auchtidonald, (see Note 5), by 
whom she had four children 1st, a son, who died young ; 2nd, 
a daughter, Elizabeth, who died unmarried ; 3rd, a daughter 
named Anne, who married a rich old man belonging to the 
University of Edinburgh, by whom she had a son, who died 
young, and his mother did not long survive him ; 4th, another 
daughter, who married Dr. Godderar, a physician, by whom she 
had a daughter, Mary, who was married to John Robertson (see 
Note 6), an accountant in Edinburgh, and another daughter, 
Jean, who married Mr. Robert Pringle, a gentleman of Peebles- 
shire, (of the family of Pringle of Torsonce), by whom she had 
a son named Dunbar, who married Margaret Cowan. 

Colonel the Honorable Patrick Ogilvy, of Lounmay, 
brother of the Chancellor, Lord Seafield, and third son of the 
third Earl of Findlater, married, first, Elizabeth "Baird, daughter 
of William Baird, of Auchmedden, and widow of Sir Alexander 
Abercrombie, of Birkenbog, and who was the mother to Sir 
James, Alexander, of Tulliebody, and Anne, who married 
Thomas Cargill, of Auchtidonald, (as above mentioned), by 
whom he had a daughter, Anne Ogilvy, who married John 
Eraser, of Fyvie. (see Note 7), and who was by him the mother 
to Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Cowan and Mrs. Forest. Mrs. Cowan 
had a daughter named Margaret, who married Dunbar Pringle, 
son of Robert Pringle, and his wife, Jean Godderar, as above 

Dunbar Pringle was a merchant in Edinburgh and owned 
property in that city, and at Cannon Mills, in the immediate 
vicinity. He and his wife, Margaret Cowan, died within a few 
days of each other about the year 1791. They had issue, 1st, 
Robert Abercrombie, born 7th August, 1775. He went into 
mercantile life and was at various times in business in London, 
Messina in Sicily, (where he married a Sicilian lady of rank, 
who died young, without issue), Genoa, Kingston in Jamaica, 
and Santa Fee de Bogota in South America. He was for a 


time in Canada in the employment of the Canada Company. 
He was in France when war broke out in 1803 after the peace of 
Amiens, and was detained (with many other British subjects) by 
Napoleon and imprisoned at Verdun, whence he made his escape 
to the sea coast, got on board an American vessel and disguised 
as one of the crew eluded the vigilance of the French Gendarmes 
and returned safely to England. He married a second time late 
in life and died without issue at St.Omer, in France, in 1840. He 
visited his brother James in Canada in 1825 and in 1830. 2nd, 
Margaret, born iQth April, 1777, married Trophimus Full- 
james, a civil engineer, and died in England 3ist January, 1820. 
Her eldest son, Thomas Fulljames, succeeded to the estate of 
Hasfield Court, near the city of Gloucester, England, (see Note 
8.) 3rd, George, born roth December, 1778. He went into 
the Royal navy, served in the Amaranth frigate as lieutenant, 
was first lieutenant of the Jason frigate, rose to the rank of post 
captain, and was in command of the " Venerable" 74, Admiral 
Durham's flagship, on the Leeward Island station, in 1814. 
He died without issue at Banff, in Scotland, 2ist September, 
1834. 4th, Dunbar, born I2th May, 1782, went into the Royal 
navy as midshipman and died at Port Royal, Jamaica, in 1805. 
5th, James, born i6th February, 1784. 6th, John, born 2ist 
February, 1785, who was bred to the legal profession, practised 
in Edinburgh for some years, and was appointed to the office of 
sheriff depute of Banffshire. He died in Banff in January, 1853. 
He married Miss Wallace, and had issue John, a surgeon in the 
Honorable East India Company's service, and now (1892) 
practising in Edinburgh ; George, who went into the East India 
Company's service as a lieutenant in the Madras Artillery, and 
who is now a general and is living with his family at Chelten- 
ham, in England ; Robert, who went into the banking business ; 
Mary, the eldest of the family, married Mr. Stark ; Margaret 
married the Rev. Mr. Manson, of Fyvie ; and Grace, who 
married the Rev. Mr. Rose. 

James Pringle (my father) and his brother, John, were 


educated at Watson's Hospital, in Edinburgh, (a school founded 
in 1723 by George Watson for the education of orphan sons of 
Edinburgh merchants.) James left Edinburgh about 1805 for 
England. He was so much enamoured with the drama and 
theatrical life that he joined a company of actors and spent 
several months with them in the north of England. He was 
rising in the profession and had attracted the notice of a London 
manager, when his friends found out what he was doing, and 
having got his name on Lord Moira's list for a commission in 
the 25th Regiment, induced him to leave his dramatic friends 
and continue his journey to London, where he remained for 
some time with his brother Robert, who was in business in that 
city. My father becoming tired of London, went with Lieut. 
Henderson, who had been ordered on recruiting service to 
Yeovil, in Somersetshire, where he became very intimate with 
John Goodford, the owner of an estate in the neighborhood. 
Goodford got him an ensign's commission in the Dorset militia, 
commanded by Col. Bingham, and from the militia regiment he 
was appointed ensign in the 8ist Regiment of Foot early in 
1809. The 8 1 si was stationed at Shorucliffe, Blatchington, 
Bexhill and Eastbourne, and in 1812 was sent to the Island of 
Jersey, whence they were ordered to Spain in 1813, where they 
joined the army of observation on the east coast, under the 
command, first, of General Murray, and afterwards of Lord 
William Bentinck. They were employed in watching the 
movements of the French forces, were engaged in several minor 
actions and skirmishes, and were at the seige of Tarragona, 
from which the French garrison withdrew (having first blown 
up the magazine) the night before the place was to have been 
stormed. The 8ist was then marched with the rest of the 
British force to the frontier of France and thence to Bordeaux, 
where they embarked and sailed for Quebec on the I5th of June, 
1814. They arrived at Quebec on the 3rd of August, and 
marched en route for Montreal on the 8th ; got to Three Rivers 
on the nth, where they lost an officer and thirty men by the 


upsetting of the scow in which the troops were being ferried in 
squads of fifty-four at a trip across the St. Maurice river. The 
regiment got to the Tanneries, near Montreal, on the 1 8th of 
August, marched thence on the loth of September and got to 
Cornwall by batteaux from Coteau du Lac on the 22nd. My 
father was billeted with two other officers at Smith's, west of 
the town, and the three were invited by Major Anderson (who 
lived on lot No. 18 in the first concession of Cornwall) to break- 
fast with him on the morning of the 23rd. There my father 
met the major's two daughters, fell in love with Ann Margaret, 
the elder of them, and married her on the 3rd of the following 
month. The company of the 8ist to which my father belonged 
was stationed at Gananoque, where he was joined by his wife. 
In January, 1815, this company was ordered to join the regiment 
at Kingston. On the 26th of May the regiment was ordered to 
embark in Durham boats for Lower Canada. They left Quebec 
on the 23rd of June and arrived at Spithead on the 2nd of 
August, sailed thence on the 6th, landed at Ostend on the 8th, 
and marched to Paris (a march of twenty-one days, including 
halts.) My father and mother travelled with the regiment an 
expensive proceeding, as they had to hire a carriage for each 
day's march. They were billeted near Paris until December, 
1815, when they went with the regiment to Valenciennes, in the 
north of France, where they were quartered until my father was 
sent on half pay in February, 1817. They then returned to 
England, and after remaining some time in London sailed for 
Canada. They were three months at sea, and arrived at Quebec 
in the autumn of 1817, and thence came up to my maternal 
grandfather's place near Cornwall, where they lived until the 
autumn of 1826, when they removed to a house my father had 
built in Cornwall, in which they lived until his death in October, 

In 1820 or 1821 he was appointed Deputy Clerk of the 
Peace and Deputy Registrar by Archibald McLean (afterwards 
Chief Justice.) My father held these positions until June, 1837, 


when Mr. McLean was raised to the Bench, and my father was 
appointed Clerk of the Peace, which office he held until 1858, 
when on account of failing health he resigned it. He was also 
Clerk of the District and County Council from 1842 until the 
close of 1851. He died in October, 1860. He never parted 
with his half pay, and after his death my mother got a yearly 
pension of .50.0.0 sterling from the British Government as the 
widow of a lieutenant during the remainder of her life. She 
died on the 26th of August, 1870. My father was an elder of 
St. John's Church congregation from July, 1827, until his death. 
(See Note 9.) 

My father and mother had nine children, of whom only 
four survived beyond infancy, viz. : myself, Jacob Farrand 
Pringle, born at Valenciennes, Department du Nord, France, 
on the 27th of June, 1816 ; James Dunbar, born 8th of May, 
1820; Margaret, born 1 3th of December, 1824; and George, 
born 26th of November, 1834. 





Mr. Prevost and his family emigrated from Holland and 
settled in the Province of New Jersey about the latter part of 
the 1 7th century. Mr. Low, of Little Falls, in that province, 
married a daughter of the Prevosts, by whom he had six 
daughters, one of whom married Colonel Franklin, of the British 
army, and went to the East Indies. Another married Van 
Ransellaer, the then patroon of Albany. Another, named 
Margaret, married Dr. Farrand, a physician of Orange County, 
in the Province of New York, about 1752. Another, named 
Elizabeth, married James Gray, a retired captain of the 42nd 
Regiment, the famous Black Watch. (See Note 10.) Dr. 


Farrand had issue by his wife, Margaret Low : John Farrand, 
born I5th August, 1754; Catherine, born 4th May, 1756; 
Johanna, born June, 1759; Jacob, born 6th November, 1763. 
(See Note 10.) Dr. Farrand died in 1764, and his widow 
married Elijah Hedden, of Newark, New Jersey, by whom she 
had four children. Catherine Farrand married John Valentine, 
the adjutant of the first battalion of the King's Royal Regiment 
of New York ; and Johanna Farrand married Joseph Anderson, 
who was a lieutenant in the same corps. I do not know the 
dates of these marriages, but they probably took place in 1784 
or 1785. 


Benjamin Anderson was born in the year 1699 at Bush 
Mills, County of Antrim, Ireland. He emigrated to North 
America in 1720, and was engaged in the fishing trade until 
1734, when he married Hannah Wilson, a native of County 
Down, Ireland, and settled on a farm near Boston. He came 
to Cornwall in 1786 and died in 1792. His wife was born in 
1709 and died in 1793. They had a family of nine or ten 
children, of whom Samuel was the eldest son. He is said to 
have been born in 1736. In 1761 he married Deliverance Butts, 
who was born in 1743 and died in 1824. He went to the West 
Indies early in life for the benefit of his health. On his return 
he joined the King's forces, probably as one of the contingent 
furnished by the New England Provinces after the breaking out 
of the war with France in 1756. He served under General 
Abercrombie in 1758 and under General Amherst in 1759, 1760 
and 1761. In 1759 he was at the taking of Ticonderoga and 
Crown Point. In 1760 he went with the army under General 
Amherst from Lake George to Oswego, on Lake Ontario, by the 
route of the rivers Mohawk and Onondaga. He was put in 
command of a small vessel and a crew of thirty men, and went 
with the army of General Amherst down Lake Ontario and the 
River St. Lawrence to Isle de Fort Levy, (now called Chimney 
Island), below Prescott, where the French were so strongly 


posted that it took two days' heavy firing to dislodge them. 
After the bombardment Anderson and his boat's crew took 
possession of the place. He was with the army at the capitula- 
tion of Montreal, and was then sent to Albany in charge of the 
sick and wounded, and in 1761 he was placed in charge of the 
workmen in the engineer's department at Crown Point. After 
the close of the war he settled on a farm, where he lived until the 
breaking out of the Rebellion in 1775. He was offered a company 
in the Continental service, which he refused. Some time after- 
wards he was offered the command of a regiment in the same 
service, which he also refused. This caused him to be looked 
upon as too friendly to the King, and led to an attempt on the 
part of some of his neighbors to convert him from the error of 
his ways by one or other of the gentle means of carting, flogging 
or tarring and feathering then in vogue among the Revolutionary 
party, and five or six of them started to try the experiment. They 
found him on his farm splitting rails. He asked them what 
they wanted, and on being told that they intended to teach him 
a lesson, he invited them to come on and try. They looked at 
him and at the axe on his shoulder and slunk away, evidently 
considering "discretion the better -part of valor." The next 
move was to arrest him, and he and many other Loyalists were 
confined in Litchfield jail, where he suffered all but death until 
the beginning of 1777, when having been told that all the 
prisoners were to be shot the next day, he wrenched the iron 
bars from a window and with his companions escaped to Canada, 
where he was appointed a captain in the first battalion of Sir 
John Johnson's corps, " The King's Royal Regiment of New 
York." (See Note 11.) 

When General Burgoyne's unfortunate expedition was pre- 
paring to advance from Ticonderoga, Captain Anderson was 
placed in charge of the workmen who were employed in making 
the corduroy road through the forest from the head of Lake 
Champlain towards Fort Edward. (See Note II.) 

Captain Anderson served in the first battalion of the Royal 


Yorkers until they were disbanded in the spring of 1784, when he 
settled on the land allotted to him lots I and 2 in the ist, 2nd 
and 3rd concessions of the township of Cornwall and built his 
house on the front of lot No. I in the 1st con. He was appointed 
a magistrate in 1785, previous to the division of the Province of 
Quebec into Upper and Lower Canada, and continued in the 
commission of the peace until his death. He was Judge of the 
Eastern District Court from 1794 to 1814, and of the Surrogate 
Court for the same district from 1794 to 1812. He drew half 
pay as a captain from 1784 until his death, which occurred in 
June, 1836. . He had issue by his wife six sons Joseph, 
Ebenezer, James, Cyrus, Thomas Gummersal and George and 
one daughter, Anne. Joseph was a lieutenant and Ebenezer an 
ensign in the Royal Yorkers. Cyrus was assistant surgeon in 
the second battalion of the Royal Canadian Volunteers from 
1796 till they were disbanded in 1802. Thomas G. was a captain 
in the Indian Department. He was born I2th November, 1779, 
and died i6th February, 1875. George was clerk of the District 
and County Courts from 1810 to 1850. His son Thomas G. 
now has the old homestead. James settled on lot No. 3 in the 
3rd concession, which is now owned by his sons. Ebenezer and 
Cyrus died before their father. Anne, or Nancy as she was 
called, married Lawrence McKay and died without issue. 

Joseph Anderson, the eldest son of Samuel Anderson, was 
born in 1763. He came to Canada with his mother early in 
1778 and joined his father at Sorel. He got a commission as 
ensign in the first battalion of the Royal Yorkers, and was 
afterwards promoted to a lieutenancy. He served with the 
regiment until it was disbanded in 1784, when he settled on his 
land, lot 18 and west half of 17 in the 1st and 2nd concessions 
of the township of Cornwall, and built his house on lot 18 in 
the ist. He married Johanna Farrand (above mentioned.) He 
was a Justice of the Peace from 1793 un *il his death ; registrar 
df the Surrogate Court from 1800 to 1811 ; major and subse- 
quently colonel of the 2nd Regiment of Stormont Militia, and 


served in the war of 1812. He was appointed a trustee under 
the Public School Act of 1807, and was one of the commissioners 
for holding the Courts of Requests in Cornwall from 1833 to 
1841. He drew half pay as a lieutenant from 1784 until his 
death in 1853. He had issue by his wife, Johanna Farrand : 
Robert Isaac Dey Gray, born 1792, died i6th April, 1874; 
Anne Margaret, born igth April, 1796, married James Pringle 
3rd October, 1814, and died August, 1870 ; Delia, born in 1800, 
married James Clowes, and died in the spring of 1882. She 
had three children by her marriage with Clowes Johanna, 
Mary and Samuel. Johanna married Benjamin Hills, and now 
owns the centre third of lot 18 in the 1st. Mary married James 
Shearer ; she is dead, and her two children own the west third 
of lot 1 8. Samuel went to the west many years ago and has 
not been heard of since. 

I, Jacob Farrand Pringle, (so named after my maternal 
grand-uncle, Jacob Farrand), am the eldest son of James Pringle 
and Anne Margaret Anderson, his wife. I was educated at the 
Cornwall District School (now called the High School), for the 
first few months under the Rev. Harry Leith, and for the last 
six years, up to January, 1833, by the Rev. Hugh Urquhart, 
both of whom were ministers of the Kirk of Scotland. I passed 
as a law student on the I2th of February, 1833, and in Novem- 
ber, 1838, I was called to the bar and admitted as attorney. I 
practised in Cornwall in partnership with George S. Jarvis, under 
whom I had studied, until the end of 1840, when I opened an 
office for myself. In 1844 I took my brother, James Dunbar, 
into partnership, which was dissolved in 1850, when he went to 
Hamilton and I continued my business in Cornwall and practised 
there until I was appointed Junior Judge in November, 1 866. I 
was elected a member of the Town Council for five years con- 
secutively, during the last two of which, 1855 an ^ ^56, * was 
Mayor. In November, 1857, I was appointed Clerk of the 
County Council, and in January, 1858, Clerk of the Peace and 
County Crown Attorney, which offices I held till I was appointed 


Junior Judge in November, 1866. After the death of Judge 
Jarvis in April, 1878, I was appointed Judge of the County 
Court in June of that year. In December, 1870, 1 was appointed 
Local Master of the Court of Chancery, and in 1878 I was 
appointed Surrogate Judge of the Maritime Court. 

On the breaking out of the Rebellion in November, 1837, 
I went as a full private, with some fifty other volunteers, to 
occupy the old fort at Coteau du Lac, and remained there a few 
weeks until we were relieved by another company. In Decem- 
ber, 1838, I joined a company of artillery which my father kad 
been authorised to raise, and served in it as private, corporal 
and sergeant, until it was disbanded in May, 1839. In the 
autumn of 1862 I raised the " Cornwall Volunteer Infantry 
Company," and was captain of it until I retired, retaining my 
rank, on being appointed Junior Judge. During the Fenian 
excitement from 8th March, 1866, until the 23rd of the following 
July, I and my company were on duty and under pay in Cornwall. 

On the loth of September, 1844, I married Isabella Fraser, 
third daughter of Colonel the Honorable Alexander Fraser, of 
Fraserfield, in the Township of Charlottenburgh and County of 
Glengarry. My wife and I have had ten children, five daughters 
and five sons : 1st, Anne, who married Arthur Moren, of 
Halifax, Nova Scotia, M. D., son of James A. Moren, of the 
same place, merchant, by whom she had two sons, the younger 
of whom died in infancy; the elder, Arthur Fraser Stirling, 
married Johanna Rubidge Hazen, of St. John, New Brunswick. 
Arthur Moren died in 1883, and Anne married Frederick 
D. Corbett, of Halifax, merchant and shipowner, 2nd, 
Margaret, who married Francis J. Hall, son of James Hall, 
of Peterborough, Ontario, sheriff, by whom she had four 
sons George Russell, Francis James, John Leslie and Farrand. 
Her husband is dead. 3rd, Isabella, who married Thomas 
Ritchie, of Halifax, barrister, son of the Honorable John 
William Ritchie, Judge in Equity of the Supreme Court of 
Nova Scotia, by whom she has three sons : Thomas Fraser, 


John William Pringle and Lewis Farrand ; and four daughters : 
Mary Christine, Beatrice Lichtenstein, Edith Isabella and 
Ella Almon. 4th, James Farrand. 5th, Alexander Fraser, 
M, D., who married Clara Allen, daughter of Seymour 
Allen, of Northfield, Minnesota, merchant. 6th, Robert 
Abercrombie, barrister, who married Emma Ada VanArsdale, 
daughter of I. H. VanArsdale, of Cornwall, manufacturer, by 
whom he has issue : James Farrand and Robert Hatfield, a 
daughter, Isabel Edna Emily, who died shortly after her birth. 
7th, George Urquhart. 8th, Mary Christine, who married John 
Athelmer Aylmer, son of the Honorable Henry Aylmer and 
nephew of Lord Aylmer, of Melbourne, Quebec, by whom she 
has issue Edith Christine and Dorothea, pth, William Rodger 
Mclntyre Pringle, M.D. (see Note 12.) loth, Charlotte Edith, 
who died in the iQth year, of her age. 

My brother, James Dunbar, was a barrister and solicitor. 
He married, first, Mary, fourth daughter of Colonel the Honor- 
able Alexander Fraser, on the I2th of September, 1848, by 
whom he had Gertrude, who married Edward H. Tiffany, a 
barrister, by whom she had Gertrude and George. James 
Dunbar's wife, Mary Fraser, died in the beginning of 1854 and 
he married Phoebe Emma, sister of Colonel Thomas Wily, in 
the latter part of 1855, by whom he had issue Arthur Dunbar, 
Robert Anderson, May (who is dead) and Daisy. He died in 
the autumn of 1882 and his widow died in the autumn of 1891. 
Arthur Dunbar married Alice Naomi, daughter of Judge Kings- 
mill, of Walkerton, by whom he has one daughter, Julia 
Dunbar. Robert Anderson married Mary Robina Bedell, by 
whom he has a son, Frank Dunbar, and a daughter, Marjorie. 

My sister married Henry Jones Ruttan, son of Henry Ruttan, 
of Cobourg, sheriff, 3rd of July, 1847. They had issue Henry 
Norland, James Farrand, Ann Margaret (died October, 1892), 
Charles Dunbar (who died in 1882), Robert Anderson, Mary 
Isabella, Catherine Corrigal, Edith (who is dead), Shanley and 
Isabella May. Mary Isabella married Douglas Ponton, and is 


dead, leaving one child, James Douglas* Catherine Corrigal 
married William McDougall ; both she and her husband are 
dead, without issue. Henry Norland married Andrina Barberie, 
of Dalhousie, New Brunswick, by whom he has three daughters 
and four sons. Robert Anderson married Ninon Armstrong. 
Henry Jones Ruttan died in February, 1879, and my sister 
married John Wallace in 1892. 

My brother George is a physician and surgeon. He 
married in September, 1860, Catherine Sophia, daughter of 
Benjamin Gordon French, who was son of Albert French, who 
was son of Jeremiah French, who was a lieutenant in the second 
battalion of the Royal Yorkers, and was the first member elected 
by the County of Stormont to serve in the first Provincial 
Parliament for Upper Canada that met on the 1 7th of Septem- 
ber, 1792, at Newark, now Niagara. My brother and his wife 
have issue : Edith, Leila Gordon, Elsie Small, Harold Dunbar 
and Edwin Corydon. Edith married R. F. Tate, civil engineer, 
by whom she has now living Edith Maud, Lillian Georgina 
Hall, Lucia Roberta Beatrix and John Frederick Percy. 


Macdonell is the surname adopted by the Glengarry branch 
of the Macdonalds. The family of Glengarry are descended 
from Alister, second son of Donald, who was eldest son of 
Reginald, or Ranald, (progenitor also of the Clan Ranald), 
youngest son of John, Lord of the Isles, by Anne, heiress of 
Mac Ruari, born about the beginning of the I4th century. 

John Macdonell, of Lick, held the farm called Lick (and 
still known by that name) on the Glengarry estate in Inverness- 
shire, Scotland, under the chief of the Clan Macdonell, of 
Glengarry, as a tacksman or leaseholder, or on a wadset (the 
old Scottish term for a mortgage.) He was a member of a 
Cadet family of Glengarry, settled for many generations at Lick 
as tacksmen and probably kinsmen of the successive chiefs. He 
married Jane Chisholm, daughter of Alexander Chisholm, of 
Muckerach, and grand-daughter of John Chisholm, of Chisholm, 


(who was chief about A. D. 1699.) He came to North America 
i 1 773 w ^h his wife and family and several of his relatives, and 
settled in Tryon County, in the Mohawk Valley. When the 
Revolutionary war broke out he and his family adhered to the 
Loyalist side. He was too old to take up arms, but he came to 
Canada and died in Montreal before the movement of the 
Loyalists to the upper country, and was buried under the old 
parish church within the space which is now partly Notre Dame 
street and Place D'Armes Square. He and his wife had five 
sons and four daughters. Archibald was the eldest son. He 
married in Scotland Miss Fraser, daughter of Fraser of Balvain, 
and came to North America before his father and the rest 
of the family. He was a merchant in New York. When 
the Revolutionary war broke out he got the command of a com- 
pany in the first battalion of the King's Royal Regiment of New 
York, served through the wnr, and when the regiment was 
disbanded settled on the lands allotted to him lots I and 2 in 
the 1st and 2nd concessions of Osnabruck. He and his wife 
had two sons and five daughters : JOHN, who was senior partner 
of the firm of Macdonell, Holmes & Co., of Montreal, and 
JAMES, who was a captain in the army and died in Jamaica. 
MARY, who married Donald tineas Macdonell, who was sheriff 
of the Eastern District and afterwards warden of the Provincial 
Penitentiary. He was son of Miles Macdonell, who was son 
ot John Macdonell, Scotus. John was a captain and Miles an 
ensign in the first battalion of the Royal Yorkers. HARRIET, 
who married Colonel Duncan Macdonell, Greenfield. ELLEN, 
who married Charles P. Tread well, sheriff of the counties of 
Prescott and Russell. ANNE, who married Colonel the Honor- 
able Alexander Fraser. MADELINE, who married Mr. McCann, 
a merchant. (For the other children of John Macdonell, of 
Lick, see Note 13.) 


The first of the name in Scotland is understood to have 
settled there in the reign of Malcolm Canmore, and although 


the Erasers afterwards became a numerous and powerful clan in 
Inverness-shire, their first settlements were in East Lothian and 
Tweedale. The ancient family of the Frasers of Philorth, who 
have enjoyed since 1669 the title of Lord Saltoun, is immediately 
descended from William, son of an Alexander Fraser who flourished 
in the early part of the I4th century, and inherited the estate of 
Cowrie and Duris in Kincardineshire. Sir Alexander Fraser, of 
Cowrie, son of William Fraser, received from David the Second 
the office of sheriff of Aberdeenshire, His wife was Lady Jane 
Ross, second daughter and co-heiress of William, Earl of Ross, 
and from her sister, Euphemia, Countess of Ross, and her 
husband, Walter de Lesley, he had charters of various lands in 
the Earldom of Ross, the whole being called the Barony of 
Philorth, which thenceforth became the chief designation of the 
family. (See Note 7. ) 

I cannot ascertain whether the Frasers of Balvain were 
scions of the Philorth or Lovat branches of the Frasers. If they 
were of the latter, they had branched off long before the time 
of the celebrated Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat, who was executed 
in 1747 for the part he took in the Rebellion of 1745. 


The family who first bore this name in Scotland possessed 
lands in Roxboroughshire and Berwickshire as early as the reign 
of Alexander the Third (the 13th century.) The chief of the 
name wasChisholm of Chisholm. In 1335 Sir John de Chisholm 
married Ann, daughter of Sir Robert Lauder, of Quarrelwood, 
Nainshire, (see under head Pringle), constable of the Royal 
castle of Urquhart, Inverness-shire. Alexander, second son of 
Sir Robert de Chisholm, married Margaret de la Ard, heiress of 
Erchless, and founded the family of Erchless and Strathglass in 
Inverness-shire. This family failed for lack of heirs, male. 

The modern Clan Chisholm of Inverness-shire are, it is 
probable, descended from one of the northern collaterals of the 
original family of Chisholm of Chisholm, in Roxboroughshire, 

and cannot be traced further back than the reign of James the 
Fourth, when Wiland de Chisholm obtained a charter of the 
lands of Comer, dated 9th April, 1513. At a later period they 
obtained a gift of the lands of Erchless and others. After the 
battle of Killiecrankie in 1689, Erchless, the seat of the chief, 
Was garrisoned for King James. John Chisholm was chief 
about 1699. He had two sons. The elder one was Ruari, or 
Roderick, (called Mac Ian.) The younger was Alexander. 
Early in 1715 Ruari (or Roderick), who had inherited the estates 
from his father, John Chisholm, signed the address of one 
hundred and two chiefs and heads of houses to George the First, 
expressive of their attachment and loyalty. No notice being 
taken of it, he engaged actively in the rising under the Earl of 
Mar, and at the battle of Dumblane the clan was headed by 
Chisholm of Crocfin, an aged veteran, for which the estates of 
Roderick were forfeited and sold, and came into the hands of 
Roderick's brother, Alexander, who was the father of Jane 
Chisholm, who married John Macdonell, of Lick. (See Note 14.) 
President Forbes, in his report upon the Highlands early 
last century, states that "the strength of the Clan Chisholm is 
two hundred men," and that " the chief is Chisholm of Strath- 




Isabella Fraser is third daughter of Colonel the Honorable 
Alexander Fraser, of Fraserfield, in the Township of Chariot- 
tenburgh and County of Glengarry, and of his wife, Anne 
Macdonell. Colonel Fraser was born near Fort Augustus, 
Inverness-shire, Scotland, and came with his father, mother, 
brothers and sisters to Canada early in the present century. The 
family settled in the township of Charlottenburgh. On the 
breaking out of the war with the United States in 1812, Alex- 
ander Fraser was appointed quartermaster of the Canadian 

Fencible Infantry Regiment, commanded by Colonel Peters. 
When the regiment was disbanded at the close of the war, he 
settled on a farm, lots 39 and 40 in the 1st concession of Char- 
lottenburgh, north of the River aux Raisin, to which he added 
by purchase adjoining lands, till the whole property comprised 
about twelve hundred acres. He was colonel of the 1st Regiment 
of Glengarry Militia from 1822 until his death. He represented 
the county of Glengarry in the Provincial Parliament of Upper 
Canada for about eight years. He was warden of the District 
and County Council from 1842 to 1850, registrar of the county 
of Glengarry for ten or twelve years prior to his death, and was 
for several years a member of the Legislative Council of Canada, 
During the Rebellion of 1837 his regiment of militia was on duty 
under his command during the winters of 1838 and 1839, a 
portion of the time in Lower Canada. He died in 1853 at the 
age of 68. His wife, Anne Macdonell, survived him until 1 86 1, 
when she died at the age of 64. His brother Paul was in the 
Hudson Bay Company ; his brother Donald was in business in 
Williamstown, and his brother Malcolm got their father's farm, 
One of his sisters married Mr. Waters, of the Cedars ; another 
married John Fraser, of Lachine. Their son, John Fraser, now 
owns the homestead there (which is believed to have been owned 
more than 200 years ago by the famous explorer, the Sieur de la 
Salle)and their son Hugh founded the Fraser Institute in Montreal. 

Anne Macdonell, the wife of Colonel Alexander Fraser, 
was a daughter of Archibald Macdonell (see under head Mac- 
donell) and his wife, who was of the family of Fraser of Bahrain 
(see under head Fraser.) Archibald Macdonell was son of John 
Macdonell, of Lick, (see under head Macdonell), and his wife 
Jane Chisholm, daughter of Alexander Chisholrn, of Muckerach, 
and grand -daughter of John Chisholm, of Chisholm, (see under 
head Chisholm.) 

Colonel Fraser had by his wife, Anne Macdonell, four 
daughters : Anne, Catherine, Isabella and Mary j and two sons, 
Archibald and Alexander. 

Anne Fraser married Daniel Eugene Mclntyre, M. D., 
sheriff of the united counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glen- 
garry. They had several children, of whom only two a daughter* 
Anne, and a son, Alexander F. Mclntyre are now living ; the 
others died young. Anne married George S. Jarvis, of Cornwall, 
Esquire, son of the late Judge Jarvis, and Alexander F. married 
Helen Macdonald, daughter of Ranald Sandfield Macdonald, of 
Lancaster, Esquire, by whom he has three daughters : Christine, 
Gwendoline and Janet ; and two sons, Donald and Ranald 

Catherine Fraser married the Honorable Donald Alexander 
Macdonald, who represented the county of Glengarry in the 
Provincial Parliament from 1858 till 1867, and in the Dominion 
Parliament from 1868 till 1875. He was Postmaster-General 
from 1873 till 1875, when he was appointed Lieutenant-Governor 
of Ontario, which office he held until the summer of 1880. His 
wife Catherine died some years ago, leaving a family of four 
daughters: Anne, Margaret, Ida and Mary; and one son, Alexander 
George Fraser. Margaret married William Kingston, of Montreal, 
M. D., and has a family of four sons: William, Donald, Basil 
and Harold ; and one daughter, Eileen. Ida married Thomas Mc- 
Carthy, merchant, who is dead. Mary married George Campbell 
McDougall, of Montreal, broker, by whom she has a daughter, 
Beatrice. G. C. McDougall died in 1892. Alexander George 
Fraser Macdonald married Eugenie Hebert, by whom he has a 
son, Donald Alexander. 

Isabella Fraser married Jacob Farrand Pringle (for their 
issue see post), and Mary Fraser married James Dunbar Pringle, 
as already stated. 

Archibald Fraser married Mary Scott, daughter of Thomas 
Scott, of Prescott, M. D., and his wife, Sarah Macdonell, 
daughter of Allan Maedonell, (see Note 13), and died, leaving 
issue four daughters : Sarah, Harriet Isabella, Catherine and 
Anne; and two sons, Alexander and Chisholm. Alexander 

married Miss Lillie Shaw, by whom he has one son, Berford 
Archibald. Harriet Isabella married F. A. Anglin, of Toronto, 

Alexander Fraser, second son of Colonel Alexander Fraser, 
married Maria Paul, and died without issue. 


NOTE i. 

A. It is stated in the Masonic paper, " The Craftsman," of 
June, 1874, page 170, that "John Hop Pringle, of that ilk, the 
then Laird of Torsonce, was master of the Masonic lodge of 
Haughfoot and Galashiels in 1705." This shows that the prefix 
<f Hop" was used as late as the beginning of the i8th century. 

B. My father had an old-fashioned seal (now in the posses- 
sion of my brother George) which he brought from Scotland 
and used whenever he sealed a letter with wax. It is a large 
Scottish pebble set in gold, with the initials J. P. and the Torsonce 
crest and motto, the escallop shell and " Amicitia Reddit 
Honores " cut on it. His brothers Robert, George and John 
each used a seal with the same crest and motto, and on the seals 
of some old letters of theirs now in my possession the impression 
of the crest and motto can be seen. 

c. I do not know what Walter de Pringle had done to cause 
so severe a punishment. Probably he had joined the insurrection 


of the Borderers against David the Bruce, who had (about 1363) 
proposed to hand over the Crown of Scotland to an English 

NOTE 2. 

Sir Walter Scott, in a note to chapter 5 of "The Monastery," 
mentions this bridge and the stone, but gives the inscription 

" I, Sir John Pringle, of Palmer Stede, 
Give one hundred marks of gowd sae reid, 
To help to bigg my brigg ower Tweed." 

NOTE 3. 

William Keith, the third Earl Marischal of Scotland, who 
died about 1530, had four sons. Robert Lord Keith, and 
William, the two eldest sons, fell at the battle of Flodden, I3th 
September, 1513. Lord Keith had two sons; the elder, William, 
succeeded as fourth Earl Marischal in 1530. From Alexander, 
the second son, descended Bishop Robert Keith. It would 
appear from the dates that this Alexander, second son of Lord 
Keith and brother of the fourth Earl Marischal, was the father 
of Elizabeth Keith, who married George Baird of Auchmedden. 

NOTE 4. 

An anecdote is told by Sir Walter Scott in his " Tales of a 
Grandfather " (page 101 of the 4th volume of the Edinburgh 
edition published by A. & C. Black) of Colonel Ogilvy and his 
brother the Chancellor (created Earl of Seafield in 1701) who 
had taken a very active part in bringing about the union between 
England and Scotland in 1707. The Chancellor objected to his 
brother, Colonel Ogilvy, that he derogated from his rank by 
traficking in cattle to some extent. " Tak your ain tale hame, 
my lord and brither," answered the Colonel in his broad Angus- 
shire dialect, " I only sell Nowt, (Nolt Anglice cattle), but you 
sell nations 1" The same anecdote is told in the 1st volume of 
Hogg's Jacobite Relics r page 244. 


NOTE 5. 

I am informed by my friend, A. Dingwall Fordyce, of 
Fergus, Ontario, in a letter dated iQth December, 1891, that 
Thomas Cargill, of Auchtidonald, is mentioned in the poll tax 
book of Aberdeenshire for the year 1696, with the valuation of 
his property and the rates imposed on his lady, Anne Abercrom- 
bie, a brother, two sisters, one male and two female servants. 

NOTE 6. 

I have often heard my father speak of Mrs. Robertson, and 
of his going to see her and read a sermon to her every Sunday 

NOTE 7. 

Mr. Fordyce states in the letter above alluded to that there 
appears in the poll tax book, 1696, " Lady Wester Fyvie, her 
eldest son, John Fraser ; her second son, James Fraser ; her 
daughter, Elizabeth Fraser ; her footman, groom, male took, 
waiting woman, and another female servant," and that it is his 
idea that the Lady Wester Fyvie was Anne Ogilvy. I think that if 
Anne Ogilvy was not Lady Wester Fyvie, she was no doubt the 
wife of Lady Wester Fyvie's eldest son, John Fraser. Mr. 
Fordyce also says in the same letter : "I observe a notice of 
Fyvie in an account of Aberdeenshire attributed to Sir Samuel 
Forbes, of Foveran, and dating probably some time in the first 
quarter of the last century, say 1725 or so, 'Fyvie, a great 
house, built fancifully after a foreign model, but never quite 
finished and now ruinous, for the last hundred years. The estate 
has been possessed by the Frasers of Fyvie (the first of whom 
was a son of Alexander Fraser, of Philorth), tho' just now 
purchased by Lesly of Iden, tho' the house was built by one of 
the Frasers. ' " Judging from this extract it may be taken for 
granted that John Fraser, of Fyvie, who married Anne Ogilvy, 
was a descendant of Sir Alexander Fraser, of Philorth. (See 
under head Fraser post.) 

NOTE 8. 

Trophimus Fulljames and his wife, Margaret Pringle, had 
several other sons and some daughters. A son, Robert, and two 
daughters are now living at Ashleworth, near Gloucester ; John 
Pringle Fulljames is living at Barrie, Ontario ; another son (now 
dead), who lived in Toronto ; and a daughter, Margaret, (now 
dead), who married Captain Balfour, of the Merchant service. 

NOTE 9. 

My father often told me that his father's family belonged 
to the Scottish Episcopal Church and attended the chapel in 
Edinburgh, where they had a pew in the gallery, to which they 
could get access only by a way they were entitled to through a 
private house. While being educated at Watson's Hospital he 
had to attend the Presbyterian Church and he became attached 
to that form of worship. He has told me more than once of 
having had his fortune told when he was about six years of 
age. The nurse who had charge of him took him to one of 
the closes in the old town of Edinburgh, and to the uppermost 
story of one of the tall houses, where an old woman told the 
girl her fortune, and having finished her predictions to the lassie, 
said: "NooI'll tell the laddie's fortune." No objection was 
made, and after going through certain manipulations whether 
of cards or tea-cup I do not know the auld spae wife said : 
"The laddie will be a sodger; he will gangawa to afar countrie 
and marry a wife there, and he'll neer return to Scotland ony 
mair." I know not whether the auld wife had any insight into 
the future, in fact I do not think she had, but she certainly made 
a good guess, for her prediction was literally fulfilled. 

NOTE 10. 

Captain James Gray entered the army as ensign in Lord 
Loudon's regiment in 1745. He went into the 42nd, (the 
Black Watch), in which he was captain, and was at the 

taking of the " Havannah " in 1762, after which he retired. 
On the breaking out of the Revolutionary war, he with 
his wife and son Robert, and their negro servant, Dorinda, 
(mother of John Baker), left the Province of New York and 
came to Canada. They were accompanied by Mrs. Gray's 
nephew, Jacob Farrand, and her neices, Catherine and Johanna 
Farrand. The captain was appointed major of the first 
battalion of the King's Royal Regiment of New York, com- 
manded by Sir John Johnson. Jacob Farrand was appointed 
lieutenant in the same corps. Catherine Farrand married John 
Valentine the adjutant, and Johanna Farrand married Joseph 
Anderson, a lieutenant, of the regiment. On the disbanding of 
the corps in 1784, Major Gray settled on the lands granted to 
him lots D, C, B, and half of E, in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th 
concessions of the township of Cornwall. He built a house on 
the front near the creek still called after him, " Gray's Creek." 
He died in 1795 an( ^ h* 5 w ^ e died in 1800. Their only child was 
Robert Isaac Dey Gray. He was the first Registrar of the Surrogate 
Court of the Eastern District, and held the office from 1793 till 
1800. He was also the first Solicitor-General of Upper Canada ; 
he was appointed in 1 797 and held the office until his death in 
November, 1804. In the beginning of that year a man named 
Cozens had killed an Indian, whose brother, failing to find 
Cozens, killed one John Sharpe in revenge. Lieutenant-Governor 
Hunter ordered the trial of the Indian to be held at Presque 
Isle, near Brighton. The Government schooner "Speedy," 
Captain Paxton, was ordered to take the Court party from York 
to the place of trial. It was late in the autumn, the weather 
was stormy, the " Speedy," never a strong craft, was unsea- 
worthy, hull, spars and sails were out of order, and the captain 
remonstrated strongly against venturing out at that season of the 
year ; but the Lieutenant-Governor was peremptory, and the 
vessel sailed, having on board besides her captain and crew : 
Judge Cochrane, Solicitor-General Gray, Angus Macdbnell, the 
Indian prisoner, two interpreters, several witnesses, Mr. Herch- 


mer, a merchant, in all 39 persons. She had nearly reached 
her destination when a squall struck her and she foundered with 
all on board. Nothing was ever seen again of the " Speedy," 
or of those who had sailed in her. Solicitor-General Gray 
dreaded the voyage and had made arrangements to go down 
on horseback with Mr. Weeks, a barrister, who was going to 
the Court, but Judge Cochrane urged him so strongly to make 
the voyage with him that he consented. 

Jacob Farrand, lieutenant in the first battalion Royal 
Yorkers, was Clerk of the Peace of the Eastern District and 
Registrar of Deeds for the counties of Stormont and Glengarry 
from 1795, and of Dundas from 1801 until his death in 1803. 
He was succeeded in these offices by his nephew, John Low 
Farrand, son of John Farrand, who held them until his death 
in 1814. 

NOTE ii. 

From the time of Samuel Anderson's imprisonment in 
Litchfield gaol his wife and family saw nothing of him until late 
in 1778, when Mrs. Anderson, who had suffered terribly from 
the cruelty of the Continentals, abandoned all her property, paid 
the Yankee governor two shillings and sixpence for a pass, and 
went with her children to Sorel, where her husband was then 
stationed with his company of the Royal Yorkers. All the 
information she had of her husband during the long interval was 
from hearing a sergeant (who with a party of Continental soldiers 
had billeted himself in her house) read a proclamation offering 
a reward of five hundred pounds for the capture of Samuel 
Anderson, dead or alive. 

NOTE 12. 

W. R. Pringle served on the medical staff during the 
Rebellion in the North-west in 1885. He came down the 
South Saskatchewin on the " Northcote " with the Midland 
Battalion, and was on board of her when she went down the 
river on the 9th of May with a detachment of C Company of 


Infantry past Batoche under a heavy fire from the rebels. At 
the second or third shot from the rebel force he was hit by a 
bullet in the left shoulder, and was in hospital at Prince Albert 
till near the end of June. His name is mentioned in Major 
Smith's despatch published in the " Canada Gazette " of soth 
October, 1885. He received the medal and clasp, and his pay 
was continued to the 1st of March, 1886, in consideration of the 

NOTE 13. 

John M.acdonell of Lick's second son was Allan. He was 
captain-lieutenant in the first battalion of the Royal Yorkers. 
He was twice married, first to Miss Macdonald, aunt of Colonel 
James Macdonald, of the Glen ; secondly to a sister of Miles 
Macdonell. Allan was father of, ist, James Macdonell, of 
Beverley ; 2nd, John Macdonell, who lost an arm at the taking 
of Ogdensburgh ; 3rd, Mrs. Scott, of Prescott, wife of Dr. 
Thomas Scott, and mother of the Honorable R. W. Scott and 
Mrs. Archibald Fraser ; 4th, Mrs. Simon Eraser, of St. Andrews, 
(whose husband discovered the Fraser River in British Columbia); 
5th, Mrs. Grant, of L'Orignal. 

Alexander was another son of John of Lick. He married 
a sister of the Honorable Alexander Grant, of L'Orignal, and 
left a large family, among whom were the late Archy Macdonell, 
Lick, of St. Andrews ; Mrs. Chisholm, wife of Colonel Chisholm, 
of Alexandria ; and John, who was the eldest, and who died of 
wounds received at the battle of Queenston Heights. The 
grandchildren of Alexander own and occupy the land near St. 
Andrews which he received as a U. E. Loyalist. 

Ranald Macdonell was another son of John of Lick. He 
was a lieutenant in the 2nd battalion of the Royal Yorkers. He 
married a Miss Robertson, and was the father of Mrs. Donald 
Macdonell, Greenfield, Mrs. Ambrose Blacklock and Mrs, 

Roderick Macdonell was another son of John of Lick. He 
was educated at Douay, in France, and was priest at St. Regis. 


Catherine, the eldest of John of Lick's daughters, married 
William McLeod, of the Front of Charlottenburgh, and was 
grandmother to Mrs. James Craig. Harriet, the second daughter, 
married Macdonald, Balnavane. Mary, the third daughter, 
married Colonel Thomas Fraser, and died childless. 

Isabella, the fourth daughter, married Colonel the Honor- 
able Neil McLean. He had served in the Revolutionary war as 
an officer in the first battalion of the Royal Highland Emigrants, 
afterwards the old 84th. He was also a captain in the second 
battalion of the Royal Canadian Volunteers, raised in 1796 and 
Disbanded in 1,802, and he served in the war of 1812. He and 
bis wife had a large family : Archibald, who served in the war 
of 1812, was made Judge in 1837 and Chief Justice in 1862 ; 
Alexander, who served in the war of 1812, and was for many 
years Treasurer of the Eastern District ; John, who was at one 
time Sheriff of Frontenac ; Mrs. Fraser, Mrs. Hopper, Mrs. 
McGillivray, Mrs. Trew and Miss Jessie. Both Archibald and 
Alexander represented the county of Stormont in Parliament 
several times. 

NOTE 14. 

Connected with Alexander Chisholm, of Muckerach, (son 
of John Chisholm, of Chisholm, and father of Jane Chisholm; 
who married John Macdonell, of Lick), there is an interesting 
and well authenticated story, which his numerous descendants 
may recall with satisfaction and pride. His brother Roderick, 
who had inherited the Chisholm estate, took part in the rising 
of 1715, under the Earl of Mar, in favor of the exiled Stuarts. 
The Chisholms under the young chief distinguished themselves 
at Sheriffmuir, but the rebellion was soon put down and Roderick 
Chisholm was attainted and his estate sequestered. By the 
a.droit intervention and management of prudent and influential 
friends, the confiscated estate was conveyed, through several 
persons to Alexander Chisholm, of Muckerach, brother of 
Roderick, the. attainted and dispossessed chief. Thus Alexander 
was absolute owner of the property, and there was .nothing 


except his integrity and loyalty to his brother to prevent his 
keeping and handing it over to his direct descendants. lie 
held the estate from about 1719 till 1742, and then conveyed it 
to Alexander, eldest son of his brother Roderick. It was 
well that the conveyance was made to Alexander, Roderick's 
eldest son, instead of being made to Roderick himself, for 
three years after, on the landing of Prince Charles, the 
attachment of Roderick to the Stuarts could not be restrained, 
and he with the clan took the field. At Culloden the Chisholms 
suffered severely. As Roderick had no estate nothing could be 
done to him, and after some time he was left undisturbed ; but 
part of the castle of Erchless was destroyed and the whole of 
Strathglass was ravaged by the Duke of Cumberland's soldiers. 

Alexander Chisholm, the eldest son of Roderick, in the 
year 1777 executed an entail of the estates, limited to the heirs 
male of his body, whom failing, to the heirs male of his uncle, 
Alexander Chisholm, of Muckerach. He died in 1786. 

Duncan Macdonell Chisholm,* his last male descendant, 
(and the last male descendant of Roderick Chisholm, who was 
deprived of the estate in 1715), died in 1858, and the succession 
opened to the nearest heir male of Alexander Chisholm, of 
Muckerach, James Sutherland Chisholm, eldest son of Roderick 
Chisholm, (who had come to Canada about 1785), who was the 
eldest son of Archibald Chisholm, eldest son of Alexander Chish- 
olm, of Muckerach. James Sutherland Chisholm was residing 
in Montreal in 1858. He had some difficulty in proving the 
identity of his father, Roderick. There were only five persons 
living who had known him in his youth. Two of the five were 
Mrs. Fraser and Mrs. Hopper, daughters of Col. Neil McLean, 
(see Note 13), who had recollections of a visit he had made to 
his aunt, their grandmother Jane Chisholm, wife of John 
Macdonell, of Lick. 

* Duncan Macdonell Chisholm was a captain in the Cold- 
stream Guards, and was in Montreal with the regiment in 1839. 

University of Toronti 





3J S< 





/ 1 





! : 



H g 
GO h 
;~H QJ 


.0 "** i 

10 ,O 









i >* 

<D= tkff 

d 5i 



5 Si 

JH f 31 
i. 0i 

s ! 

X a> 

Acme Library Card Pocket 

1 g 



- - ^