ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBBARY
3 1833 01417 1307
Digitized by tine Internet Arcinive
in 2010 witii funding from
Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center
Family of David Mitchell
KILMARNOCK, SCOTLAND j
I. DAVID, b. in Sorn, March 2, 1755; son of
William, who was a keeper of tolls at Sorn; m.
Agnes Kilpatrick, dau. of Alexander, b. in Kil-
marnock, Sept. 16, i-j68. He died in Kilmarnock,
in 1835. A carpet weaver by trade. There were
two sisters, Sarah, who m. John Templeton, and
Jean, who m. John Gait, a gardener.
2. David, b. July II, 1792. +
3. John, b. July 14, 1794- +
4. Twins, b. in Kilmarnock, Aug. 18, 1795 ; d. 1795.
5. Janet, b. in Kilmarnock, Aug. 20, 1797 ; d. in Kilmar-
6. James Washington, b. Dec. 20, 1799. +
7. Alexander, b. in Kilmarnock, Jan. 23, 1S02 ; d. 1802.
8. William Wallace, b. Sept. 16, 1803. +
g. Alexander, b. in Kilmarnock, July 22, 1805 ; d. unm.
in West Farms, N. Y. in 1S39.
ID. George, b. July 2, 1S07. +
2. DAVID' David,' b.
1792; m. ist, Janet Kell
in Kilmarnock, July 11
ly, dan. James, b. in Kil-
marnock in 1S04; d. in West Farms, N. Y., Oct. 9,
1833. 2d wife, Mary Lake, widow of James, d. in
New Haven, Conn., Aug. 12, 1S62, aged 62 years.
3d wife, Maria Cleveland, dau. Orrin and widow
of Gra-nt Thorbiirn, b. in -Litchfield, Conn., Oct.
18, 1810. He came to ll.c United States in March,
183a, ■wa.s a TieTvsdealer in New Haven for nearly
foTty years, where he d. Dec. -lo, 187-2.
31.. Agnes, h. in Sicwarton, Scotland, March 59, iS^^ ; "m.
in New Haven, Aug. 25, 3S69, XVilliam Kimbtrl)-, s. of £ras-
tas and "Wealthy Ann (Chapnvan), h. in Guilford, Conn., ^ar.
28, 1S30. Engag-cd in the wiamafaturre of " Sash and Slinds."
Resides in New Haven, Conn. No ch.
12. David, b. in Stewarton, Scotland, July iC, 1828 ; m. in
New Haven, July 23, 1S62, Fannie M. Hoadley, dau. Marshall,
b. in Naugatuck, Conn., May 2, 1S41. Dealer in newspapers
and periodicals in New Haven, Conn. No ch.
13. Jane Elizabeth, b. Sept. 24, 1829.+
14. Janet, b. in West Farms, N. Y., 1832 ; d. in West
Farms,' Oct. 1833.
3. JOHN" David," b. in Kilmarnock, July 14,
1794; m. Janet Urquhart, dau. John ahd A^nes
(Hamilton),* b. in Paisley, Nov. 14, 1799, d. in
Glasgow, Nov. iS, 1S70. He d. in Kilmarnock,
March 2, 1829.
15. David, b. Jan. fi, 1S20.+
16. James Urquhart, b. April 2, 1822.+
17. Agnes, b. in Kilmarnock, Feb. 12, 1824; d.in Glasgow,
Nov. 6, 1840.
18. William Urquhart, b. Jan. 15, 1S26. +
19. Janet, b. in Kilmarnock, March 3, 1828 ; d. in Glasgow,
Nov. 16, 1S38.
* The father and mother of Agnes Hamilton, were John
and Christina (Forrest), both natives of Hntnilton, Scotland.
William Urquhart was the father of Joiin.
6. JAMES WASHINGTON' David,' b. in Kil-
marnock, Dec. 3o, 1700: he c^me to the United
States in 1820, when he started the first ingrain
carpet manufactory in America, at or near New
York city, Avhere he remained fourteen years.
Removed to West Farms, Westchester Co., N. Y.,
in 1834, and engaged in carpet manufacturing
there. In 1836 went to New Haven to succeed his
brother Wm. W. as manager and superintendent
of the extensive carpet works of Galpin & Robert-
son, at the same time, continuing as partner in tlie
factory belonging to himself and brother at West
Farms. In 1845 removed to Yonkers, where, in
company with John Hutchison, he continued to
manufacture carpets till 1852, when he retired
from business. m. Sarah E. Newman, dau. of
Benjamin, b. in West Farms, N. Y., May 31, 1814;
d. in Yonkers, Sept. 2^, 1S78. He d. in Yonkers,
Nov. 29, 1866.
20. Newman Kilpatrick, b. in West Farms, N. Y., Nov. 22,
1834 ; d. in New Haven, Sept. 15, 1844.
21. George, b. in West Farms, N. Y., April 9. 1836; d. in
West Farms, July 1, 1S37.
22. George Alexander, b. June 6, 1838.+
23. James Washington, b. in New Haven, Conn., Aug. 11,
1840; m. in Yonkers. N. Y.. Aug. 13, 1879. Ida Josephine
Kinney, dau. Nathan C, b. in Owego, N. Y., Oct. 19. 1S57.
Reside in Yonkers.
24. William Fowler, b. in New Haven, Conn., Sef)t. 24,
1842 ; d. in Yonkers, N. Y., Feb. 23. 1S56.
25. Benjamin Nev%-inan, b. in New Haven, Conn., March
24, 1845; m. in Jersey Citv. N. T.. May 28, 1872, Ellen
Dckhanty, dnu. Michael and Eliza (Lines), b. in Hastings,
N. Y., March 17, 1852.
26. Samuel Peat, b. March 26, 1847.+
27. Alice Jane, b. in Yonkers, X. Y., March 8, 1S49 ; m. in
Yonkers, Sept. 3, 1S79, Thomas Adam, s. of Andrew, b. in
Glasgow, Scotland, April 30, 1S44. A dealer in boots and
shoes in New York. Reside in Yonkers.
28. Agnes, b. in Yonkers, X. Y., Feb. 18, 1S51.
29. Sarah E., b. in Yonkers, X. Y., May 19, 1854; m. in
Yonkers, Sept. 12, 18S1, Charles E. Back, s. of Frederic and
Rebecca J. (Brown), b. in Yonkers, April 3, 1S52. Fire
Insurance Agent in Yonkers.
30. Eliza Jane. b. in Yonkers, N. Y., June 7, 1858; d. in
Yonkers, Feb. 14, 1S63.
8. WILLIAM WALLACE^ David,' b. in KiU
niarnock, Scotland, Sept. 16, 1S03. In 1813 was
apprenticed to a tin smith, at which trade he
worked between three and four years, but was at
last driven from it by an affection of the eyes. In
1817 was apprenticed for five years to a cabinet
maker, in which business he continued till 1823;
at this time he made an engagement with Thomas
Morton, a machinist; after working several years
with Mr, Morton, he commenced business as a
general machinist on his own account. In 1828
came to the United States to manufacture Jacquard
machines for the Thompsonville (now Hartford)
carpet factory. Remained in Thompsonville till
1830, where he and his brother Alexander started
the West Farms carpet factory, in which he con-
tinued to be a partner tiii its dissolution in 1852.
In 1831 he assumed the superintendence of the
new carpet manufacturing company of Galpin &
Robertson, in New Haven, in which he continued
till 1836, when he returned to Scotland to assist
his brother George in the management of a cot-
ton spinning and weaving mill. Retired from
business in 1847 ; continued to reside in Glasgow
till 1869, when he removed to Millport, where, in
1882, he still lives, m. Agnes Dunlop, dau. of
James and Ann* (Gilmour) b. in Paisly, Sept. 16,
1808; d. in Germantown, Penn., June 16, 1835.
m. 2d, Margaret Paterson, b. in 1797; d. in Mill-
port, Jan. 6, 1S7S.
31. Janet Dunlop, b. March 2S, 1826.4- See No. 15.
32. William Gait, b. Dec. 3, 1827. +
33. Agnes Dunlop, b. in Enfield, Conn., Aug. 7, 1S30 ; d.
in Glasgow in 1838.
10. GEORGE' David,' b. in Kilmarnock, July
2, 1S07; was a cotton mill owner at Blackfaulds,
Calton, Glasgow, the business being carried on
under the firm name of Macleroy, Hamilton &
Co., in whose employment he commenced as a lad,
and whose firm name he maintained for a quarter
of a century after their death. He was elected a
Magistrate of the city of Glasgow, and was fre-
*Ann Gilmour was dau. of Wm. Gilmour, Precentor in Mid-
dle Church, Paisley, a fine looking, fair haired man.
quently chosen to represent his fellow citizens in
honorable positions. :r.. ist, Ellen Shaw, b. in
Glasgow, June 13, 1S14; d. in Glasgow, Feb. 7,
1840. m. 2d, Margaret Winter, dau. of Francis
and Janet (Brown), b. May 30, 1827. He d. in
Larkhall, Aug. 10, 1S75.
By 1st wife —
34. Ellen Shaw, b. Jan. 26, 1840.-1-
By 2d wife —
35. Jessie Winter, b. in Glasgow, March 24, 1851 ; d. in
Glasgow, Jan. 5, 1859.
36. Agnes Kilpatrick, b. Dec. 27, 1852. -1-
37. George, b. in Glasgow, Dec. 10, 1854. Came to the
United States in Feb., iSSo. Employed by C. R. Mabley, Dry
Goods House in Toledo, Ohio, in iS32.
38. Elizabeth Gordon, b. in Glasgow, June 24, 1S56 ; m.
Nov. 4, 1879, David Crawford Miller, whose Bleachworks at
Avonbank are quite extensive.
39. Frank Winter, b. in Glasgow, Aug. 12, 1858. Came to
the United States in April, iSSi.
40. Margaret Winter, b. in Glasgow, March iS, 1S60.
41. Walter Buchanan, b. in Glasgow. Jan. 13, 1S62 ; d. in
Larkhall, June 10, 1871.
42. David Kilpatrick, b. in Glasgow, Dec. 27, 1863; d.
Aug. 23, 1S64.
43. James Winter, b. in Glasgow, June 24, 1S65.
44. William, b. in Helensburgh, March 30, 1868 ; d. March
45. Alexander Brown, b. in Larkhall, July 2, 1871.
13. JANE ELIZABETH' David^ David,' b. in
Kilmarnock, Sept. 24, 1S29. Came to the United
States in 1830. m. in Jacksonville, Ky., Nov. 9
1857, Charles F. Root, s. of Joseph, b. in Westfield,
Mass., Jan. 27, 1829. Iron Founder. Settled in
New Haven, Conn., in 1S58.
46. Elizabeth Agnes, b. in Alton, III., Aug. 10, 1858; d. in
New Haven, July 21, i860.
15. DAVID' John' David,' b. in Kilmarnock,
Jan. 6, 1820; m. Janet Dunlop Mitchell, dau. Wm.
W. and Agnes (Gilmoiir), b. March 28, 1826.
Manager of Calender and Bleachery, No. 4 Mon-
trose St., Glasgow.
47. Margaret Paterson, b. Feb. 13, 1S47.+
48. Janet Urquhart, b. in Glasgow, Sept. 19, 1850
49. Agnes Dunlop, b. in Glasgow, July 23, 1852 ; d. in
Glasgow, Sept. 15, 1S53.
50. John Templeton, b. in Glasgow, April 3, 1854. Came
to the United States, Feb., 1875.
51. William Alexander, b. in Glasgow, Oct. 27, 1856. In
1882 in Commission House, Manchester, England.
52. Ellen Gait, b. in Glasgow, June 19, 1858.
53. Agnes Campbell, b. in Glasgow, April 22, i860.
54. Hugh Ferguson, b. in Glasgow, Oct. 2, 1862.
55. George Winter, b. in Glasgow, March 14, 1865. En-
tered Queen's University, Kingston, Canada, Sept., 1881.
16. JAMES URQUHART' John' David,' b. in
Kilmarnock, April 2, 1S22. m. Agnes, dau. of
David Gait, and widow of Samuel Peat, b. Sept. 2,
1817. Machinist. Settled in Milford, Conn., in
56. Annie Isabella, b. in Astoria, L. I., Feb. 9, 1S58 ; d. in
Milford. Feb. i, 18S1.
i8. WILLIxVM UROTTHART' Jolin' David,' b.
in Kilmarnock, Jan. 15, iw26; m. ist, Mary Sim,
dau. of John, b. in Kilmarnock, Oct., 1S25 ; d. in
Glasgow, June, 1858. m. 2d, Ellen Noble, dau.
of Duncan and Isabella (McKenzie), b. in Glasgow,
By 1st wife— . . ,;
57. Mary Sim, b. Sept. 8, 1855. +
By 2d wife —
58. Janet Urquhart, b. in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia,
59. Ellen, b. in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, in 1S75.
22. GEORGE ALEXANDER' James^ David,'
b. in New Haven, Conn, June 6, 1838; m. in
Yonkers, N. Y., Sept. 21, 1S64, Sarah Elizabeth
Archer, dau. of Anthony Benjamin, b. in Yonkers,
June II, 1840. Engineer in Smith's carpet factory,
60. Angeline Kate, b. in Yonkers, July 28, 1865 ; d. in
Yonkers, Jan. it, 1S67.
61. James Anthony, b. in Yonkers. April i, 1868 ; d. in
Yonkers, June i, 1S70.
62. George Alexander, b. in Yonkers, Dec. 9, 1S71.
63. Arthur Franklin, b. in Yonkers, May iq, 1874.
64. Benjamin Newman, b. in Yonkers, Sept. 7, 1878.
26. SAMUEL PEAT' James' David,' b. in Yon-
kers, N. Y., March 26, 1847; '"• in Yonkers, July
29. 1873, Josephine Jerolamon, dau. of Joseph S.
and Amanda M. (Trimper), b, in Nyack-on-Hud-
son, Jan. lo, 1850. Superintendent of packing in
Baldwin & Flagg's Hat Works, Yonkers.
65. Am)' Eliza, b. in Yonkers, July 24, 1874.
66. William Denikc, b. in Yonkers, March 8, 1877.
67. Fannie, b. in Yonkers, Jan. 23, 1879.
32. WILLIAM GALT' William' David,' b. in
Paisley, Scotland, Dec. 3, 1827; m. Harriette A.
Kasson, dan. of Thomas and Amelia (Holcomb),
b. in Granby, Conn,, July 4, 1830. Superintend-
ent Hat Factory, Milford, Conn.
68. Janet Kasson, b. in New Haven, Conn., Aug. 21, 1S54;
d. May 22, 1855.
69. Harriet Maria, b. in New Haven, Conn., Sept. 16, 1S35.
70. William Wallace, b. in Milford, Conn., March 12, 1861;
d. Nov. 5, i86i.
71. Amelia Whilcomb, b. in Milford, Conn., Aug. 31, 1866.
34. ELLEN SFIAW' George^ David,' b. in
Glasgow, Jan. 26, 1840; m. in Helensburgh, Nov.
5, 1868, William Pettigrew, s. of William, b. in
Bothwell, Scotland, Aug. 31, 1834. Partner of the
firm of Black & Wingate, manufacturers and
printers of muslins and linens, Glasgow.
72. Ellen Shaw, b. in " Rosebank " Blantyre, Nov. 9, 1869.
73. William Clark, b. in " Rosebank" Blantyre, March 17,
74. George Alexander, b. in "Rosebank" Blantyre, June
10, 1874; d. in Blantyre, Aug. 31, 1079.
o b *^ ^ -
36. AGNES KILPATRICK^ George'^ David/
b. in Glasgow, Dec. 27, 1852; m. William Frew of
Larkhall, Feb. 27, 1879. Colliery proprietor.
75. James Forrest, b. in Larkhall, Dec. 20, 1879.
76. Twins — Fannie and Mary, b. in Larkhall, Dec. 9, i83o.
47. MARGARET PATERSON* David' John^
David,' b. in Glasgow, Feb. 13, 1847; m. Aug. 18,
1874, John Watson, s. of John, b. in Glasgow, Feb.
25, 1847, Prof, of Ethics and Logic, Queen's Uni-
versity, Kingston, Canada.
77. Edward Caird, b. in Kingston. Ca., May 24, 1875.
78. Alice Robertson, b. in Kingston, Ca., Feb. 22, 1877.
7g. Ellen Mitchell, b. in Kingston, Ca., May 13, 1879.
57. MARY SIM* William^ John' David,' b. in
Glasgow, Sept. 8, 1855 ; ni. June 7, 1876, James
Bilsland, b. in Glasgow, Dec. 17, 1853.
80. James, b. in Glasgow, May 4, 1877.
8i. William Mitchell, b. in Glasgow, April 24, 1879.
82. Sarah, b. in Glasgow, July ro, 1881.
NDEX OF MITCHELLS.
Agnes' David 4
Agnes^ James ....... 8
Agnes^ John 4
Agnes C* David 14
Agnes D.nVm. \V. .10
Agues K.^ George 20
AJ^xander- David 2
.4J<:»ander''' David 2
Alr.xander B.^ George . . . . .12
Alice J.3 J.Tmes 8
AHieli.i VV.-» Wm. G 18
Amy E.* Samuel P 18
Angeliiie K.'* George A 16
Afuiie I.^ James U 14
Ariluir F* George A 16
Iknj.iinin N.' James 8
Benjamin N.* George A 16
David* David 2
David^ David 4
David' Jolin i_l
David K.' George ,2
£liza J. flames 8
Eiuafieth G.' George 12
Ellen* Wm. U. . ..... i',
Ellen G.* David 14
Ellen S.3 George . 18
Fannie-» .Saml. P. . . i3
Ftank W.:" George . ..... 12
George^ David 2
Geor^c^ George 12
Gvuti^c" James ....... ^
ijp^i^c A.3 Jame.> 16
^ty?^? ^^•♦ Qepfjje A ,6
George W.^ D;ivid
Harriet M.-" Wm. G
Hugh F.^ David
James A.* George A
James U.^ John
James W.' David
James W.^ [ames
James W.^ George
Jane E.^ David
Janet' David .
Janet D.^ Wm. W.
Janet K* Wnu G.
Janet U.* David
Janet U." Wm. U.
John' David .
John T.* David .
Jessie W.' George
Margaret P.* David
Margaret W.^ George
Mary S." Wm. U.
Samuel P.-' James
Sarah E.^ James
Waller B.' George
William A.-" David
William D.* Saml. P.
William F.' Jaines
William G.' Wm. W.
William U.' John
William W.'' David
William W.* Wm. G.
Adam— Alice J.
Archer — Sarah E.
Back— Charles E.
Brown — Janet
Chapman — Wealthy A
Delehanty — Ellen
DuNLOP — Agnes
Frew — Agnes K. .
Galt — Agnes
HoADLEY — Fannie M
HoLCOMB — Amelia
Jerolamon — Josephi n
Kasson— Harriette A
Kinney — Ida J. .
Kelly— Janet 2
Lake — Mary ...'.... 2
Lines— Eliza 8
McKenzie — Isabella 16
Miller— David C. 12
Elizabeth G. 12
Newman — Sarah E 6
Noble— Ellen 16
Paterson — Margaret 10
Peat — Agnes . . . . . . . 14
PETTKiKEW— Ellen S 18
George A. 18
William C 18
Root — Charles F 14
Elizabeth A 14
Jane A 12
Shaw — Ellen 12
Sim— Mary 16
Templeton — John 2
Thorburn— Maria C 2
Trimper — Amanda M 16
Urquhart— Janet 4
Watson — Alice 20
Edward C 20
Ellen M 20
Margaret P 20
Winter — Margaret 12