(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Children's Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Historical markers erected by Massachusetts Bay Colony"

RD^inW PIIRI IP I IDDADV 







The First Capital of the Colony 
( A Marker in a City Street ) 



Historical Markers 

Crected by 

Massachusetts Bay Colony 
Tercentenary Commission 



TEXT OF INSCRIPTIONS 
AS REVISED BY 

SAMUEL ELIOT MORISON 

Professor of History in Harvard 
University 

WITH A FOREWORD BY 

CHARLES KNOWLES BOLTON 

Librarian of Boston Athenaeum 




THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS 
BOSTON • MCMXXX 



-^oSTd;^ 






COPYRIGHT 1930 
BY 

THE SECRETARY OF THE COMMONWEALTH 
OF MASSACHUSETTS 



"No labor of historian^ no eloquence of 
orator^ will stir the heart of youth to the love 
of country^ and a desire to emulate the great 
deeds of the past^ like a visit to the spot which 
has been familiar with the presence of great 
men, or the scene where great deeds have been 
enacted. ^^ 

George Frisbie Hoar. 



MASSACHUSETTS BAY COLONY 
TERCENTENARY COMMISSION 

appointed by 

His Excellency Frank G. Allen 

Governor of the Commonwealth 



Herbert Parker, Lancaster 
Chairman 

Frank Roe Batchelder, Worcester 
Vice Chairman 

Sybil H. Holmes, Brookline 
Secretary 

*Robert B. Choate, Boston 

tJoHN Cifrino, Boston 

Henry Colt, Pittsfield 

Allan Forbes, Boston 
tEowARD A. McLaughlin, Jr., Newton 

Frederic Winthrop, Boston 



* Appointed June 27, 1930 vice Wellington Wells, resigned 

t Appointed March 5, 1930 vice Henry V. Cunningham, deceased 

J Appointed March 19, 1930 vice A. C. Ratshesky, resigned 



^An Introduction 



The travellers who shall pass by the many storied ways through the 
lands of the Puritan occupations in the ancient days of the Massachu- 
setts Bay Colony, may now read on tablets set by roadsides or in city 
streets the tales which the ocean shores, the hills, the fields, the churches, 
the garrison houses and the old hearthstones, have to tell of the heroism, of 
the romance and of the tragedies, and of the unfaltering faith, of the 
ancestors of our Commonwealth. 

These waymarks of our history, as the following pages of this book 
disclose, ha-ce been provided for, by enactment of the Massachusetts 
General Court, with the sympathetic approval of His Excellency the 
Governor, directing the State Department of Public Works to procure, 
erect and maintain, the permanent monuments, which are now estab- 
lished in form, and in place, as determined by the Massachusetts Bay 
Colony Tercentenary Commission. 

To Frank Roe Batchelder, a member and Vice-Chairman of that 
Commission, is to be accorded the commendation which the consumma- 
tion of this very interesting, appropriate and lasting feature of the 
State's Tercentenary commemoration, has so well merited. Every 
detail of the design, manufacture and erection of the existing tablets 
has, with the generous cooperation of the Department of Public Works, 
been carried forward, under his constant oversight. 

His colleagues in a common public service with him, commend this 
excellent example of his efficiency in that service, to the favorable judg- 
ment of his fellow citizens and to the interested readers of this memorial 

publication. 

Herbert Parker, 

Chairman, Massachusetts Bay Colony 

Tercentenary Commissio?j. 



Resolves of 1930, Chapter 10 

Resolve Authorizing the Department of Public Works 
TO Erect Signs and Markers at Historic Places 

Resolved^ The department of public works is hereby authorized 
to prepare and erect suitable signs and markers, including such as 
may be submitted by the Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary 
Commission, with suitable inscriptions thereon, indicating the 
ancient ways of the Puritan times and the structures or places 
relating to or associated with the early settlements within the 
commonwealth. After erection, these signs and markers shall be 
maintained by said department from appropriations made for the 
maintenance of highways. For such purpose said department may 
expend a sum not exceeding fifteen thousand dollars to be paid from 
item six hundred and eighty-eight of the general appropriation 
act of the current year. 

Approved March 26, jgjo 



yU)reliVord 



The historic spots of the Commonwealth which the Massachusetts 
Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission has marked by inscriptions, 
are associated with events in the lives of our people. They are silent 
witnesses, and only as they rekindle in us a veneration for the pioneers 
of a new country are they worthy of our attention. 

The reader will find in the pages of this book tales of adventure, 
stories of suffering, and records of death nobly met. But these are not 
the only chronicles to be found within. Here are reminders of labor 
that made a tree-clad land a vista of plowed fields, green meadows, and 
cultivated lawns and flowers; reminders of home life and domestic 
virtues, of industry, of public service, and of faith in God. The happi- 
ness of a people finds expression in brick, in clapboard, and in stone, 
as well as in literature and in art. 

On the tomb of Sir Christopher Wren, in St. P aid's Cathedral, is the 
admonition— If you would see his monument look about you. In 
much the same spirit the visitor to New England is now urged to make 
real to himself the heroism and self-sacrifice of the founders of our 
Commonwealth by a sympathetic and understanding study of the 
visible memorials which they have left to us. But let us refnember that 
the glory of past achievement is no better than ashes unless it lights the 
fire of patriotic endeavor. 

Charles Knowles Bolton. 



Illustrations 



The First Capital of the Colony 

(A Marker in a City Street) Frontispiece 

The Rooftree of the Bradstreets, 

North Andover Facing Page 9 

The First Landing, Beverly 10 

Harried by Tomahawk and Torch, Deerfield 15 

Still Defying the Tooth of Time, Bedham 17 

Where the Regicides Dwelt 

(A Marker at the Entrance to a Town) 18 

Before the Days of Bridges, Medford 23 

The Refuge OF THE Exiles FROM France, 0;c/"or^ 27 

The Captive of King Philip, Princeton 28 

The Famous Maypole, ^uincy 30 

The Seat of Chickatawbut, ^uincy 23 

A Praying Indian Town, Webster 2^ 



The illustrations are from photographs made 
expressly for this book by the Vice Chairman of the 
Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission. 




^ > 



Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary 

MARKERS of PLACES WHICH PLAYED A LEADING PART 
IN THE HISTORY OF THE COLONY 



ACTON 

Captain Thomas Wheeler House 

Site of first house in Acton, built 
by Captain Thomas Wheeler in 
1668. He was commissioned to 
keep fifty cattle for the inhabitants 
and at night protect them in a 
yard from wild beasts. He was 
wounded by the Indians in King 
Philip's War. 

{Concord Street near Route 2, North Acton) 

Faulkner Homestead 

Site of garrison house built before 
1700. Opposite, Ammi Ruhamah 
Faulkner had his saw and grist 
mill and woolen mill in 1735. 

{Main and High Streets, South Acton) 

Captain John Heald 

Here was the home of Captain 
John Heald, first selectman of 
Acton, who on April 19, 1689, 
marched to Boston with a military 
company to assist in the overthrow 
of Sir Edmund Andros. 

{Road of Main Street, North Acton) 

AMESBURY 

Macy-Colby House 

Thomas Macy, first town clerk of 
Amesbury, erected this house prior 



to 1654. Persecuted for harboring 
Quakers he sold the house and fled 
to Nantucket, becoming the first 
white settler as related in Whittier's 
poem "The Exiles." 

{Main Street) 

ANDOVER 

Andover 

Indian region called Cochichawick, 
settled 1643, named after Andover 
in Hampshire in 1646. The home 
of two famous American women, 
Anne Bradstreet and Harriet 
Beecher Stowe. Seat of Phillips 
Andover Academy. 

(/. Route 2S, Main Street, Andover-North Reading 
line) 

{2. Route 12^ — Andover-North Andover line) 

ARLINGTON 

Captain Cooke's Mill Lane 

The road to Captain Cooke's grist 
mill, built in 1638; the first water 
mill in this vicinity. 

{Massachusetts Avenue corner Water Street) 

Jason Russell House 

Built by Martha, widow of William 
Russell, about 1680. Occupied 
until 1890 by her descendants, of 
whom Jason Russell lost his life 
in the conflict of April 19, 1775. 

{Jason Street near Massachusetts Avenue) 



■{9}- 



Historical Markers of the 



ASHLAND 

The Bay Path 

An Indian trail before 1630. Path- 
way of the Pioneers. 

{Route IJS {Union Street) and Frankland Road) 

BERNARDSTON 

Burke Fort 

Six rods easterly stood Burke Fort 
the first and largest, and also the 
first building in Fall Town. Built 
in 1738/39 by John Burke it was 
six rods square and contained eight 
houses. Fifty persons took shelter 
here during the old French and 
Indian War. 

{Route 5) 

Connable Port 

Site of the second fort and building 
in Fall Town, erected in 1739 by 
Samuel Connable. Its original 
timbers are still in the house on a 
knoll to the northwest. 

{Route 5) 

Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort 
The Lieutenant's son Ebenezer, 
later deacon of the church and 
first town treasurer, built a fort 
ten rods east of here in 1740/41. 
It was unsuccessfully attacked by 
Indians in 1746 during King 
George's War. 

{Road to Huckle Hill) 

Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort 

Built in 1 740 on this site. The 
first Proprietor's Meeting in Fall 



Town was held here in 1741. The 
Lieutenant's son Eliakim was shot 
by Indians in 1747 while working 
west of the fort walls. 

{On road to Northfield) 

BEVERLY 

Coming of the Arbella 

This walk of half a mile leads to a 
beach off which the "Arbella" 
anchored on June 12, 1630. Her 
passengers landed near by, for the 
first time in two months, and 
gathered wild strawberries. 

{Route I2J — Corner Loring Avenue) 

Pride's Crossing 

Four acres granted in 1636 to 
John Pride, said to have been a 
nephew of Colonel Thomas Pride 
the regicide. 

{Route I2J — near Pride's Crossing Railroad Station') 

Balch House 

Built in 1638 by John Balch, who 
came over in 162,3 with Captain 
Robert Gorges. The "old planters" 
received this land in exchange for 
their settlement at Salem. 

{Route I A — Cabot Street corner Balch Street) 

Planters Path to Their Landing 
Place 

The Old Planters, Roger Conant, 
John Woodbery and John Balch 
used this path from their home- 
steads to the cove at the head of 
Bass River. 

{McKay Street) 



-{lo}- 




-A '7 

The First Laxdixg 
( Beverh ) 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



Hale Farm 

This house was built in 1694 by 
the Reverend John Hale, first 
minister of the First Church in 
Beverly. A charge of witchcraft 
made against his wife convinced 
the minister of the folly and wicked- 
ness of the crusade and ended all 
witchhunting in Beverly. 

(J9 Hale Street) 

Conayit House 

Roger Conant was a prudent and 
religious man who led the Old 
Planters from Gloucester to Salem 
in 1626, and held them together 
until the Bay Colony was founded. 
This house was built on land given 
by him to his son Exercise Conant 
in 1666. 

{634 Cabot Street) 

BILLERICA 

John Rogers Homestead 

Near this spot stood the John 
Rogers homestead, which was de- 
stroyed in the Indian massacre of 
1695, and the entire family killed. 

{Billerica Avenue) 

Danforth Homestead 

Site of homestead of Captain Jona- 
than Danforth, pioneer of Billerica 
and famous surveyor. "He rode 
the circuit, chain'd great towns and 
farms to good behavior; and by 
well-worked stations he fixed their 
bounds for many generations. " 

{Route J near Billerica Town Center) 



Billerica 

Early name Shawshin, originally a 
part of Cambridge, set off as a 
town in 1655. Named after Bil- 
lerica in Essex. 

(/. Concord Road at Billerica-Bedford line) 
{2. Route J at Billerica-ChelmsJ ord line) 

BRAINTREE 

Braintree 

This region, settled in 1625, was 
granted to Boston in 1634 and in 
1640 was set off as the town of 
Braintree. 

(/. Route jj at Braintree-Holbrook line) 
{2. Independence Avenue and Holmes Street, 
Braintree-^uincy line) 

BRIMFIELD 

Steerage Rock 

Four miles distant on the summit 
of East Waddaquodduck Moun- 
tain is Steerage Rock, a landmark 
on the Indian trail which became 
known as the Bay Path and a 
guidepost to the pioneer settlers 
of the Connecticut Valley from 
Massachusetts Bay in 1636. 

{Brimfield Center, Route iji) 

Indian Hill 

Two miles distant on Indian Hill 
is the site of an Indian stronghold 
and storehouse for corn, Quaboag 
Old Fort, and of the Indian village 
of Ashquoach. 

{Brimfield Center, Route /ji) 



in}- 



Historical Markers of the 



BROOKFIELD 

Brookfield 

Settled in 1660 by men from Ips- 
wich on Indian lands called Qua- 
boag. Attacked by Indians in 
1675, one garrison house defended 
to the last, reoccupied twelve years 
later. 

(/. Route 20, Brookfidd-West Brookfield line) 
(2. Route 20, Brookfield-East Brookfield line) 

BROOKLINE 

House of Edward Devotion 

Built by him in 1680 and occupied 
until 1685. He served for Muddy 
River (which became the town of 
Brookline in 1705) as perambulator, 
constable, fence viewer and tyth- 
ing man. House owned in suc- 
cession by his sons John and 
Edward until 1744. 

{Harvard Street) 

Zabdiel Boy Is ton 

House built in 1736 by Zabdiel 
Boylston, the first physician in 
America to inoculate for smallpox. 
In 1721 he inoculated his own son 
and two slaves. Despite popular 
prejudice the result was decisive 
and the courage of Dr. Boylston 
saved untold life and suffering. 

{617 Boylston Street) 

CAMBRIDGE 

Way to Charlestown 

Washington Street, Somerville, and 
Kirkland and Brattle Streets, Cam- 



bridge, "skirting marshes and river" 
follow the old Indian trail from 
Charlestown to Watertown. Along 
this way in 1636 went the Reverend 
Thomas Hooker and his congrega- 
tion on their exodus from Cam- 
bridge to Hartford in Connecticut. 

{Cambridge Common, Massachusetts Avenue) 

Oldest House in Cambridge 

At number 21 Linnaean Street is 
the Cooper-Austin house built in 
1657, at what was then the north- 
ern end of the Cambridge Cow 
Common, by John Cooper, select- 
man, town clerk, and deacon of the 
church. 

{Massachusetts Avenue and Linnaean Street) 

Early Buildings 

Two blocks south stood the house 
built in 1 63 1 by Governor Thomas 
Dudley and later occupied by 
Herbert Pelham, first treasurer of 
Harvard College. At the corner of 
Dunster and Mount Auburn Streets 
stood the first meetinghouse, where 
Thomas Hooker and Thomas Shep- 
ard preached. 

{Massachusetts Avenue and Dunster Street) 

First Settlement 

Site of first settlement of Water- 
town in 1630. Here at the first 
meetinghouse the Reverend George 
Phillips protested against taxation 
without representation in 1632, 



-{12}- 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



which resulted in the people par- 
ticipating in the law-making power. 

{Mt. Auburn Street) 

Sir Richard's Landing 

Here at the river's edge the settlers 
of Watertown led by Sir Richard 
Saltonstall landed in June 1630. 
Later this spot became known as 
Gerry's Landing, for Elbridge 
Gerry, signer of the Declaration of 
Independence and Governor of 
Massachusetts who lived in "Elm- 
wood" nearby. 

(Mt. Auburn Street and Gerry's Landing) 

Cambridge 

Location chosen in 1630 to be the 
capital of the Massachusetts Bay 
Colony. Settled in 1631 under 
leadership of Thomas Dudley and 
called the New Town. The College 
ordered to be here, 1637. Name 
changed to Cambridge after the 
English University Town, 1638. 

(/. Massachusetts Avenue near Harvard Bridge) 
{2. Mt. Auburn Street at Cambridge-Watertown 
line) 

CANTON 

Ponkapoag Plantation 

The north line of Ponkapoag Plan- 
tation second of the Apostle Eliot's 
Praying Indian towns, set apart by 
the Dorchester Proprietors in 1657. 

{Washington Street) 

Roger Sherman 

In this town Roger Sherman, signer 
of the Declaration of Independence 



from Connecticut, and framer of 
the Federal Constitution, passed 
his childhood and youth in a house 
on Pleasant Street, and there was 
taught by his father the shoe- 
maker's trade. 

{Route ijS and Washington Street) 

CHELMSFORD 

Chelmsford 

Settled in 1653 by people from 
Concord and Woburn. Named 
after Chelmsford in Essex. 

(/. Junction of Route 4 and Route no) 
{2. Route J, Princeton Boulevard and Middlesex 
Street) 

CHELSEA 

Bellingham-Cary Mansion 

Six hundred feet from this point 
is the mansion built by Governor 
Richard Bellingham in 1659, re- 
built and enlarged by Samuel Cary 
in 1 79 1. Here Washington sta- 
tioned the last outpost of the left 
wing of the Continental Army 
besieging Boston. 

{Broadway and Parker Street) 

Thomas Pratt House 

One hundred twenty-four rods east 
is the Thomas Pratt House erected 
in 1652. The land on which it 
stands was once owned by Gover- 
nor Sir Henry Vane, exponent of 
toleration and free speech in Eng- 
land, and subject of a sonnet by 
John Milton. 

{Washington Avenue and Revere Beach Blvd.) 



•i^zY 



Historical Markers of the 



Chelsea 
The Indian region called Win- 
nisimmet. Samuel Maverick erect- 
ed a trading house and palisade 
about 1625. Settled by the Puri- 
tans 1630. 

(/. Broadway opposite U. S. Naval Hospital) 
{2. Broadway at the Chelsea-Revere line) 

CONCORD 

Musketaquid-Concord 
"It is ordered, that there shalbe 
a plantacion att Musketequid, . . . 
& the name of the place is changed, 
& hereafter to be called Concord. " 
Order of the General Court Sep- 
tember 12, 1635. This plantation 
was the first inland settlement in 
New England. 

{Route 2 at Concord-Lincoln line) 

The First Settlement— 163s 
Westward to the meetinghouse 
along the sunny slope of this ridge 
the settlers of Concord built their 
first dwellings. 

{Route 2 near Meriam's Corner) 

The Milldam 
This short stretch of street still 
known as the Milldam was the site 
of an Indian fishing weir and was 
laid out along the dam built soon 
after the settlement of the town in 

{Routes 2 and 126, Monument Square) 

Jethro's Tree 
Near this spot stood the ancient 
oak known as Jethro's Tree beneath 



which Major Simon Willard and 
his associates bought from the 
Indians the "6 myles of land 
square" ordered by the General 
Court for the plantation of Concord 
September 12, 1635. 

{Routes 2 and 126, Monument Square) 

DANVERS 

Endecott Pear Tree 

One-eighth of a mile distant, on a 
part of the 300 acres granted to 
Governor John Endecott, is the 
Pear Tree planted by the Governor 
in 1632. This tree still bears fruit. 

{Water and Endicott Streets) 

The Church in Salem Village 

To this church, rent by the witch- 
craft frenzy, came in 1697 the 
Reverend Joseph Green, aged 
twenty-two. He induced the mis- 
chief makers to confess, reconciled 
the factions, established the first 
public school, and became noted 
for his skill at hunting game and his 
generous hospitality. 

{Centre and Hobart Streets) 

Home of George Jacobs 

Convicted of witchcraft in 1692, 
George Jacobs was hanged at 
Salem and buried on this farm, 
where he had lived for thirty-five 
years. It is still in possession of 
the Jacobs family. 

{Water Street) 



■{h\ 




■i=^ 



S 

< 
X 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



DEDHAM 

Fairbanks House 

Oldest house in Dedham, a part of 
it built about 1636. Homestead of 
Jonathan Fairbanks, who, with his 
sons John, George, and Jonathan, 
Junior, signed the Dedham Cove- 
nant September 10, 1636. Ancestral 
home of the late Vice-President 
Fairbanks. 

{Eastern Avenue and East Street) 

Dedham 

Settled in 1636 by people from 
Watertown and Roxbury. In early 
years the town extended to the 
Rhode Island line. 

(/. Route I at Dedham-Westwood line) 
{2. Route IJJ at Dedham-Westwood line) 

DEERFIELD 

Old Deerfield 

Indian land called Pocomtuck, 
settled by men from Dedham in 
1671. Attacked by Indians, burnt, 
and abandoned in 1675. ^^" 
occupied and attacked in 1704 by 
French and Indians, who took 
47 lives, and carried off 112 cap- 
tives to Canada, of whom 60 were 
later redeemed. 



Route J near northern entrance to Old Deerfield^ 
Route 5 near southern entrance to 014 Deerfield) 



DORCHESTER 

Bird-Sawyer Homestead 

Homestead occupied since 1637 
by Thomas Bird and his descend- 



ants, soldiers and public servants. 
It served as American Army head- 
quarters during the fortifying of 
Dorchester Heights in March, 
1776. 

{Humphreys Street) 

DUNSTABLE 

Dunstable 

Settled before 1673, a town in 
1680, divided by the New Hamp- 
shire-Massachusetts boundary, the 
northern part becoming Nashua, 
New Hampshire in 1741. 

(/. Route //J, Dunstable-Pepperell line) 
{2. Route If J, Dunstable-Tyngsborough line) 

ESSEX 

Shipyard of 1668 

In 1668 the town granted the 
adjacent acre of land "to the 
inhabitants of Ipswich for a yard to 
build vessels and to employ work- 
men for that end. " The ship- 
building industry has continued 
uninterruptedly in Essex since that 
date. 

{Route 121, Main Street and Route 22) 

Free School 

A free school for Chebacco Parish 
was opened in an upper room of this 
house in 1695 by the appointed 
master, Nathaniel Rust, Junior. 
The town gave "six acres of 
pasture land for the benefit of the 
school and one-quarter acre for 
Mr. Rust's house." 

{Route 121, Northern Avenue) 



-{15}- 



Historical Markers of the 



John Wise House 

Erected in 1701 by John Wise, 
pastor of the Chebacco Parish of 
Ipswich, now Essex. Son of a 
laborer, Harvard graduate, army 
chaplain, protestant against taxa- 
tion without representation and 
against the witchcraft delusion, 
defender of democracy in the 
church, and a brilliant prose writer. 

{Route 121, Northern Avenue) 

FRAMINGHAM 

Thomas Eames 

While Thomas Eames sought help 
from Boston February i, 1676, the 
Indians attacked his house which 
stood near by. His wife and five 
children were slain and four chil- 
dren captured. 

{Mt. Wayte Avetiue) 

Pike-Haven Homestead 

Built in 1693 by Jeremiah Pike. 
He and his descendants were town 
and militia officers, yeomen and 
makers of spinning wheels, in the 
colonial period. This house has 
been occupied by the same family 
for eight generations. 

[Grove and Belknap Streets) 



setts, President of the District of 
Maine and Treasurer of Harvard 
College. Named after Framing- 
ham, Suffolk, in 1675. 

(/. Route /J5, Framingham-Natick line) 
{2. Route 126, Hollis Street Framingham-Ashland 
line) 

GEORGETOWN 

Goodrich Massacre 

Ten rods east stood the house of 
Benjamin Goodrich who, with his 
wife and two children, was slain by 
the Indians on October 23, 1692. 

{North Street off Route 97) 

GLOUCESTER 

Samuel de Cham^plain 

In September, 1606, Samuel de 
Champlain landed at Rocky Neck 
in what is now Gloucester Harbor, 
to caulk his shallop, and made an 
accurate chart of the harbor which 
he called Le Beauport. 

{Eastern Port Road and Rocky Neck Avenue) 

First House 

Site of first house, erected in 1623, 
taken down and rebuilt in Salem 
in 1628 as the "great house" of 
Governor Endecott. 

{Stage Fort Park) 



Framinghayn Settlement of Cape Ann 

In 1660 and 1662 a large part of the On this site in 1623 the Dorchester 

present town was granted to Adventurers founded the nucleus 

Thomas Danforth of Cambridge, of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 

Deputy Governor of Massachu- and the fishing industry. Here 

-li6}- 




w 

Q 






Massachusetts Bay Colony 



Roger Conant averted bloodshed 
between two factions contending 
for a fishing stage, a notable ex- 
ample of arbitration in the begin- 
ning of New England. 

{Route I2J at entrance to Stage Fort Park) 

Planters Neck 

Here in 1630-31 a company from 
Plymouth, under Abraham Robin- 
son, established a fishing station 
and built curing stages. For nearly 
two centuries and a half Annis- 
quam was a fishing and ship- 
building center. 

{River Road, Annisquam) 

GRAFTON 

Hassanamesit 

John Eliot established here in 1651 
a village of Christian Indians called 
Hassanamesit — " at a place of small 
stones." It was the home of 
James the Printer who helped 
Eliot to print the Indian Bible. 

{Route 140, Grafton Common) 

Tho?nas Hooker Trail 

Crossing the highway at this point 
is the Indian trail followed by the 
Reverend Thomas Hooker in 1636 
when, with his invalid wife borne 
on a litter, he led a company of 
Massachusetts settlers to found 
Hartford, Connecticut. 

{Route 122 and Pullard Road) 



Indian Reservation 

These four and one-half acres have 
never belonged to the white man, 
having been set aside in 1728 as 
an Indian Reservation by the forty 
proprietors who purchased the Pray- 
ing Indian town of Hassanamesit. 

{Brigham Hill Road off Route 122) 

GREENFIELD 

Eunice Williams 

Eunice Williams, wife of the Rev- 
erend John Williams "^'the redeemed 
captive," was killed at this place 
on March i, 1704, during the 
Deerfield massacre. 

{Meadows Road) 

GROTON 

Grot on 

Settled as a frontier town in 1655 
in the Indian region called Petapa- 
wag. When attacked by Indians 
of King Philip in 1676 all houses 
but four were burned, and the 
town was temporarily abandoned. 
Again attacked in 1689, 1704 and 
1723. 

{Route iig in front of High School) 

Parker House 

Near by stood a garrison house, 
residence of Captain James Parker, 
Commander of the town forces in 
King Philip's War. Here Captain 
Parker parleyed with the Indian 
Chief John Monoco regarding his 



-{17}- 



Historical Markers of the 



threat to burn Groton and Boston, 
March 13, 1676. 

{Route iig and Mollis Street) 

HADLEY 

Hadley 

Indian land called Norwottock. 
Settled in 1650 by families from 
Hartford. The Regicides Generals 
Goffe and Whalley were concealed 
for fifteen years in the Pastor's 
house. 

(/. Route log at Hadley-Amherst line) 

{2. Route log at Hadley -Northampton line) 

HAMILTON 

The Covered Wagon 

On December 3, 1787, the first 
covered wagon to leave Massa- 
chusetts for the West set forth from 
this spot arriving the next Spring 
in the Northwest Territory and 
founding Marietta, Ohio. 

{Route I A and Farms Road) 

HATFIELD 

Hatfield 

Before 1 670 part of Hadley. Thrice 
attacked by Indians during King 
Philip's War. 

(/. Road from Route J to Hatfield Center) 
{2. Route S at Hatfield-Whately line) 

HAVERHILL 

Rowley Village 

Rowley Village on the Merrimack, 
named Bradford in 1672, was 
settled about 1650 by residents of 
Rowley. The first burying ground 



and site of the first meetinghouse 
are about one mile to the right on 
Salem Street. 

{Route 12^ and Salem Street) 

Pentucket-Haverhill 

On this spot the Indians signed a 
deed granting Pentucket, now 
Haverhill, to the white settlers 
for three pounds ten shillings. The 
original deed dated November 15, 
1642, is now in possession of the 
Haverhill Historical Society. 

{24-26 Mill Street) 

John Ward House 

This house built about 1645 by the 
settlers for their first minister, 
John Ward, was the first framed 
house in Haverhill. 

{Water Street) 

Haverhill 

Indian region called Pentucket, 
settled 1641 by men from Ipswich 
and Newbury under leadership of 
the Puritan clergyman John Ward 
of Haverhill, England. 

(/. Route I/O at Haverhill-Merrimac line) 

{2. Route 12s at Haverhill-North Andover line) 

HINGHAM 

Old Ship Church 

The Old Ship Church, built in 
1 68 1, is one of the oldest meeting- 
houses in New England which has 
been used continuously for the 
worship of God. 

{Main and Elm Streets) 



-ii8}- 




Where the Regicides Dwelt 
( A Marker at the F.ntrance to a Town ) 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



Lincoln House 

This dwelling was once a garrison 
house 1 638-1 640. Nine generations 
of the Perez Lincoln family, who 
settled inHinghami633-i635,have 
lived under its roof. 

{North Street) 

Samuel Lincoln House 

Samuel Lincoln, ancestor of Presi- 
dent Abraham Lincoln, and one of 
the eight early settlers of Hingham 
bearing that name, purchased this 
land in 1649. Seven generations of 
Lincoln descendants lived here. 

{Lincoln and North Streets) 

Hingham 

Early name Barecove, settled 1634 
under leadership of the Puritan 
clergyman Peter Hobart of Hing- 
ham, England. Name changed to 
Hingham 1635. 

(/. Route 18 at Hingham-Norwell line) 

{2. Route 3 A and Road to Hingham Center) 

HOPKINTON 

The Bay Path 

An Indian trail before 1630. Path- 
way of the Pioneers. 

{Route fjj in front of Town Hall) 

HULL 

Hull 

Indian region called Natascot, a 
fishing station as early as 1622 



settled by the Puritans 1630. 
Name changed to Hull 1644. 

(/. Atlantic Avenue) 

{2. Main Street and Highland Avenue) 

IPSWICH 

Agawam-Ipswich 

Among the founders and early resi- 
dents of Ipswich — 1 630— were John 
Winthrop, Junior, scientist and in- 
dustrial pioneer; Nathaniel Ward, 
lawmaker and wit; Richard Bel- 
lingham and Richard Saltonstall, 
magistrates who defended popular 
rights; Simon Bradstreet and his 
wife Anne, who wrote poetry of 
enduring beauty. 

{Route I A and Ward Street) 

Pillow Lace 

From the date of its settlement 
by John Winthrop and twelve 
associates, 1630, Agawam (Ipswich) 
was the seat of pillow lace making. 
By 1790 the annual production 
was 41,979 yards. This craft 
continued until the introduction 
of lace machinery. 

{High Street) 

Revolution of i68q 

Here on August 23, 1687, the citi- 
zens of Ipswich, led by the Rever- 
end John Wise, denounced the 
levy of taxes by the arbitrary 
government of Sir Edmund Andros, 
and from their protest sprang the 
American Revolution of 1689. 

{North Main Street near Route I A) 



19}- 



Historical Markers of the 



LANCASTER 

Rowlandson Rock 

On the crest of George Hill, near 
by, is situated Rowlandson Rock 
where the captives from the Row- 
landson Garrison House passed their 
first night after the burning of 
Lancaster by the Indians February 
lo, 1675-76. 

{Main Street and Narrow Lane) 

Lancaster 

The Plantation of Nasheway em- 
bracing this and several adjoining 
towns was granted to a group of 
"Undertakers" in search of iron 
deposits, in 1644. John Prescott 
the first settler made a success of 
frontier farming under great 
difficulties. 

(/. Route iiy at Lancaster-Bolton line) 
(2. Sterling Road at Lancaster-Sterling line) 

LEXINGTON 

Lexington Battle Green 
The birthplace of American liberty. 

(/. Route 2, Marrett Road and Massachusetts 
Avenue) 

{2. Waltham Street and Marrett Road) 

Lexington Battle Green 
Historic route to Concord. 

{Route 4. and Route 2) 

LITTLETON 

Praying Indian Town 

A stone post on the near-by 
hillside is the northwest corner 



of Nashobah, one of the Praying 
Indian towns established by John 
Eliot, in 1654. 

{Route 2 at Littleton-Ayer line) 

LOWELL 

Meetinghouse Hill 

Site of chapel erected in 1653 for 
John Eliot, the Apostle to the 
Indians. Here he preached to the 
Wamesit and Pennacook Indians, 
converting many and establishing 
a village of Christian Indians called 
Wamesit. 

{Summer and Haver Streets) 

Merrimack Canal 

Site of canal around Pawtucket 
Falls, built by "Proprietors of the 
Locks and Canals on Merrimack 
River," 1793-96 for the floating 
of loss down the Merrimack River 
to Newburyport shipyards. In 
1822 Merrimack Canal was tapped 
from it, furnishing power to the 
Lowell cotton mills. 

{School Street at Pawtucket Bridge) 

Wannalancet 

On Wickasee Island (now Tyng's 
Island) in the Merrimac dwelt 
Wannalancet, last sachem of the 
Pennacook Confederacy, and like 
his father Passaconaway, a faithful 
friend to the English. 

{Pawtucket Boulevard at Vesper Country Club) 



-{20}- 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



LYNN 

Lynn 

The Indian region called Saugus, 
settled 1629 by people from the 
Puritan colony at Salem, named 
for Lynn Regis in England, 1637. 
First place in North America to 
make boots and shoes for export. 

(/. Washington Square) 
(2. Breed Square) 
{j. Broadway) 

Lynn Public Market 

Opened as early as 1633 by order 
of the General Court. 

{Lynn Cotnmon on Route I2g) 

Saugus Bridge 

The town of Lynn built a bridge 
over Saugus River at this site on the 
old Boston road, the General Court 
allowing £50 for its construction, 
1639. 

{Boston Street) 

MALDEN 

Old Indian Trail 

The milestone near this tablet 
marks the Old Indian Trail over 
which by tradition William, Rich- 
ard and Ralph Sprague journeyed 
on their way from Salem (Naum- 
keag) to Charlestown (Mishawam) 
in 1629. They were the first white 
men known to have passed through 
this region. 

{Route I near Broadway) 



MARBLEHEAD 

Fort Sewall 

Built in 1742 for defence against 
French cruisers. U.S.S. "Con- 
stitution" sought shelter under the 
fort's guns when chased by H.M.S. 
"Tenedos " and " Endymion " April 
3, 1 8 14. Named after Samuel 
Sewall of Marblehead, Chief Justice 
of Massachusetts in 18 14. 

{Front Street) 

Agnes Surriage Well 

Belonging to the Fountain Inn, 
where Sir Harry Frankland, col- 
lector of the Port of Boston, while 
supervising the erection of Fort 
Sewall, met Agnes Surriage in 
1742. Agnes, a poor fisherman's 
daughter, later becameLady Frank- 
land and returned with her husband 
to England. 

{Orne, Street) 

Old Burial Hill 

Established in 1638, one of the 
oldest graveyards in New England. 
Site of first meetinghouse. Six 
hundred Revolutionary heroes and 
several early pastors were interred 
at the top of the hill. 

{Orne Street and Pond Lane) 

Indian Village 

One of the largest Indian villages 
in Essex County stood on this 



■{liY 



Historical Markers of the 



tract, which was owned by Wine- Historic Winslow House is open 

poykin, son of Nanepashemet, Sa- to visitors in the summer months, 
chem of the Nipmuc Indians. {RQutejA at Training Field) 

{Ocean Street) 



MARLBOROUGH 

Williams Tavern 

The first tavern was erected on 
this site by Lieutenant Abraham 
WiUiams in 1665. Destroyed by 
Indians in 1676, it was promptly 
rebuilt and managed by the 
Williams family until 1829. Here 
the early circuit courts convened, 
stage coaches changed horses, and 
historic personages tarried. 

{Route 20, West Main Street and fVilliams Street) 

Marlborough 

Settled by Sudbury people in 1655 
and first called WhipsuflFerage. A 
fur trading center in early days, an 
important industrial town during 
the last century. 

(/. Route 20 at Marlborough-Northborough line) 
{2. Route 20 at Marlborough-Sudbury line) 

MARSHFIELD 

Old Marshfield Training Field 

The Old Marshfield Training Field 
and Meetinghouse of the First 
Parish where Daniel Webster at- 
tended church. 
Home of Daniel Webster. 
Home of Governor Edward Win- 
slow. 



Marshfield 

Residence of Daniel Webster. Win- 
slow Cemetery and Webster Tomb. 
Site of Meetinghouse of the First 
Church. 

{Webster Street) 



Marshfield 

Home of Edward Winslow 1636- 

1646 Governor of Plymouth 

Colony. 

The historic Winslow House is 

open to visitors in the summer 

months. 

Home of Daniel Webster 1831- 

1852. 

(/. Route 3, Pembroke at Road to Marshfield) 
{2. Route J A, Buxbury at Road to Marshfield) 
Ij. Route J A near Spring Street) 



MEDFIELD 

Peak House 

The original house, built in 1651, 
was burned when King Philip's 
Indians burnt the town of Medfield 
in 1676. Seth Clark, the owner, 
received indemnity from the colo- 
nial government and in 1680 rebuilt 
the present Peak house, so called 
because of its architecture. 

{Route ijj, Main Street and Pound Street) 



422}- 



W'Vftf' 




Massachusetts Bay Colony 



MEDFORD 

Roy all House 

Mansion built by Isaac Royall 
who came here from Antigua with 
his slaves in 1737. His son Isaac 
Royall, a loyalist, founded at 
Harvard the oldest law professor- 
ship in the United States. Head- 
quarters of General John Stark 
during the siege of Boston. 

{Main and Royall Streets) 

Old Ford — Mystic River 

Site of old ford over the Mystic 
River used until the building of the 
bridge at Medford Center by Gov- 
ernor Matthew Cradock in 1637. 

{Mystic Valley Parkway near Main Street) 

Rock Hill 

Site of lodge and lookout of Nane- 
pashemit. Sachem of the Nipmuc 
Indians. Mystic, his stockaded 
village, was about half a mile to 
the westward near High and Grove 
Streets, West Medford. He was 
killed in 161 9 and succeeded by 
his widow, the Squaw Sachem. 

{Mystic Valley Parkway near Winthrop Street) 

Medford . 

Settled 1630 by employees of 
Matthew Cradock, Merchant of 
London, first Governor of the 
Massachusetts Bay Company. He 
remained in England but con- 



tributed largely to the expense of 
the Puritan migration. 

(/. High Street near Mystic Valley Parkway) 
{2. Fellsway near Revere Beach Parkway) 

MELROSE 

Ensign Thomas Lynde House 

Erected in 1670 by Ensign Thomas 
Lynde the first settler in Melrose, 
son of Deacon Lynde who came 
to Charlestown in 1634. This 
house was occupied by his direct 
descendants until 1881. 

{86 Main Street) 

MENDON 

First Meetinghouse 

Here stood Mendon's first meet- 
inghouse, built in 1668 and de- 
stroyed by Indians in 1676. Joseph 
Emerson, the minister, was an 
ancestor of Ralph Waldo Emerson. 

{Route 126 and Main Street) 

Mendon 

The plantation of Qunshapage set- 
tled in 1663. Named Mendon in 
1667. Burned and abandoned dur- 
ing King Philip's War, resettled 
about 1677. 

(/. Route 126 at Mendon-Uxbridge line) 
{2. Route 126 at Mendon-Hopedale line) 

MIDDLEBOROUGH 

The Wading Place 

Site of the ford or wading place 
where the Indian trail from Ply- 



\n\ 



Historical Markers of the 



mouth to "Middleberry" (Middle- 
borough) crossed the Nemasket 
River. When the town was estab- 
lished, 1669, its southern boundary- 
was described as extending "Six 
mile from the wadeing place." 

{Route joi. East Main Street at Montello Street) 

Old Fort 

Fifty rods east is the site of the 
Old Fort built about 1670 as a 
place of defense and refuge in time 
of need. During King Philip's 
War an Indian making insulting 
gestures on Indian Rock across the 
Nemasket River was shot from 
the fort. 

{Route 101, North Main Street at High School) 

MILTON 

Indian Trail 

Churchill's Lane. When the In- 
dians sold their land near the mouth 
of the Neponset River they removed 
to the territory south of the Blue 
Hills, which they called Ponkapoag, 
sweet water. 

{Adams Street and Churchills Lane) 

Bridge and Grist Mill 

The Neponset River was first 
bridged at this point, and a grist 
mill erected in 1634 by Israel 
Stoughton, a deputy of Dorchester 
who was censured by Governor 
Winthrop for defending popular 
rights. 

{Adams Street and Baker's Court) 



Country Highway 

The "country heigh weye" pro- 
vided for by the General Court 
in 1639 to connect the Plymouth 
and Bay Colonies. This portion 
was laid out in 1654 on the line of 
an old Indian trail. 

{Adams Street) 

First Powder Mill 

Near this site stood the "mill for 
making of powder ... at 
Unkety or Dorchester Mill" where 
gunpowder was manufactured for 
carrying on King Philip's War in 
1675. After serving in several 
colonial wars it blew up in 1744. 

{Adams and Eliot Streets) 

NATICK 

Indian Meetinghouse 

On this site John Eliot helped his 
Indian converts to build their 
first meetinghouse in 1651, with 
a "prophet's chamber" where he 
lodged on his fortnightly visits 
to preach to them in their language. 
His disciple Daniel Takawambait 
succeeded to the pastoral office 
in 1698. 

{Route 16, Pleasant Street, South Natick) 

Natick 

'A place of God's providing.' 
Estabhshed 1651 by the Apostle 
Eliot as a village for the Christian 
Indians from Nonantum, and gov- 



A^aY 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



erned by them and their descend- 
ants for almost a century. 

(/. Route 16 at the Natick-Wellesley line) 
{2. Route ijs "t 'fif Natick-Wellesley line) 

NEW BRAINTREE 

Wheeler s Surprise 

One mile to the southwest, off the 
North Brookfield road, Edward 
Hutchinson's company seeking a 
parley with the Nipmucs was 
ambushed by Indians August 2, 
1675, ^^^ more than half were 
slain. Captain Hutchinson died 
from his wounds. Captain Thomas 
Wheeler was wounded but escaped. 

{Route 67 at Road to North Brookfield) 

NEWBURY 

Landing Place of First Settlers 

Landing place on River Parker of 
the men and women who settled 
in Newbury between 1635 ^^^ 
1650. 

{Route lA and Cottage Road) 

Newbury 

Indian region called Quascacun- 
quen, settled 1635 under leadership 
of the Puritan clergyman Thomas 
Parker. 

(/. Route I A at Newbury-Rowley line) 
{2. Route I at Newbury-Newburyport line) 

NEWBURYPORT 

Watts' Cellar 

Near this spot was "Watts' Cellar, " 
a landmark before the settlement 



of Newbury in 1635. ^^ excava- 
tion, used for the storage of fish 
by fishermen who visited the New 
England coast. 

{Merrimac Street at Market Square) 

Goody Morse House 

Near this spot lived Goody Morse, 
condemned for witchcraft in 1679, 
but reprieved by Governor Brad- 
street. She was allowed to return 
to her home, "provided she goe 
not above sixteen rods from her 
owne house and land at any time 
except to the meetinghouse. " 

{Water Street at Market Square) 

Dal ton House 

Built in 1746 by Michael Dalton, 
later the residence of his son, 
Tristram Dalton, one of the first 
two United States Senators from 
Massachusetts. Here were enter- 
tained George Washington and 
other distinguished men. 

{State Street) 

Approach to Carrs Ferry 

First ferry across the Merrimack 
River from Newbury to Salisbury, 
established about 1639, and the 
only route from Boston to the 
eastern frontier. In 1641 George 
Carr was appointed ferryman with 
rights which continued in his family 
for generations. 

{Jefferson and High Streets) 



-i^sY 



Historical Markers of the 



Edward Rawson 

On this site dwelt Edward Rawson, 
Secretary of the Bay Colony for 
thirty-six years, Deputy to the 
General Court for twelve years, 
elected Clerk of the House of 
Deputies in 1645. He died in 
Boston 1693. 

{High Street) 

NEWTON 

Site of Early Meetinghouse 

The original meetinghouse of the 
First Church in Newton was built 
in this burying ground in 1660. 
The first pastor was John Eliot, Jr., 
son of the Apostle to the Indians. 

{Cotton and Centre Streets) 



NORTHAMPTON 

Northam-pton 

land called Nonotuck, 
1653, the home of 



m 



Indian 

bought 

Jonathan Edwards, Joseph Hawley 

and Timothy Dwight. Seat of 

Smith College. 



{2. 



Route log at Northampto7t-WilUamsburg line) 
Route 5 at Northampton-Easthampton line) 



NORTH ANDOVER 

Simon and Anne Br ad street 

Simon Bradstreet and his wife 
Anne, aged 18, came over in the 
"Arbella," and built this house in 
1667. Simon served the Colony 
for nigh sixty years as Assistant 
and Governor. Anne wrote poetry 



of enduring beauty while bringing 
up her eight children. 

{Route 125 and Academy Road) 

NORTHBOROUGH 

Mary Goodnow s Grave 

Mary Goodnow who lived here with 
her parents was lame and unable to 
run to the garrison house for safety 
when the Indians attacked North- 
borough on August 18, 1707. A 
short path leads through the woods 
to her grave near the place where 
she fell. 

{Route 20 near Northborough-Marlborough line) 

NORTHFIELD 

Captain Richard Beers 

Grave of Captain Richard Beers, 
killed by Indians on September 4, 
1675. His monument is on the 
mountain-side above. 

{Route Sj) 

First Settlement 

Here, enclosed by a stockade, the 
first settlement was made in 1673. 
Nine rods to the westward a fort 
was built in 1685 and eight rods 
southeast stood the Indians' Coun- 
cil Rock. 

{Route 10) 

Nathaniel 'Dickinson House 

Nathaniel Dickinson lived here 
nineteen years in a fortified house 



-{26}- 




y. -y: 






Massachusetts Bay Colony 



but was scalped and killed by the 
Indians on April 15, 1747, at 
Pachaug Hill. 

{Route 10) 



King Philip's Hill 

Philip, second son and successor of 
Massasoit, Sachem of the Wam- 
panoag, camped on this hill during 
the winter of 1675-6. The stump 
of a large look-out tree together 
with defence trenches are to be 
seen on top. 

{Route 10) 

Indian Council Fires 

Two hundred and fifty yards east- 
ward are the sites of three large 
Indian council fires. The Beers 
Massacre of September 4, 1675, 
took place in a gorge one-quarter 
mile to the northeast. 

{Route 63) 



OXFORD 

Huguenot Settlement 

Up this road on Mayo's Hill, are the 
remains of a bastioned fort built 
by Huguenots driven from France 
by the Revocation of the Edict of 
Nantes. Their prosperous settle- 
ment was interrupted by Indian 
attacks in 1696, and finally aban- 
doned in 1 704. 

{Route 12 and Huguenot Road) 



The Johnson Massacre 

John Johnson and three children 
were killed by Indians in his house 
on this spot August 25, 1696. His 
wife was saved by her brother. 

{Route 12) 

Old Maanexit Ford 

From this ford branched trails to 
Woodstock, Brookfield and Stur- 
bridge. This way ran the Post 
Route established in 1672 "to 
goe monthly" from New York to 
Boston. Here, June 5, 1676, Major 
Talcott's Connecticut troops passed 
to join the final campaign against 
King Philip. 

{Country Road from Webster to Oxford) 

Clara Barton s Birthplace 

One mile westward Clara Barton, 
"The Angel of the Battlefield," 
was born in 1821. A volunteer 
nurse in the Civil War, she served 
the International Red Cross in 
the Franco-Prussian War, founded 
the American Red Cross and served 
as its President for 23 years. 

{Route 12) 

PEABODY 

Downing Farm 

One and one-quarter miles west- 
ward is Downing Farm where lived 
John Proctor who was granted a 
license by the selectmen of Salem 



-{27}- 



Historical Markers of the 



in 1666 "to entertain travelers." 
He was condemned and executed 
during the witchcraft frenzy of 
1692. 

{Peabody Square) 

PRINCETON 

Redemption Rock 

Upon the rock 50 feet west of this 
spot Mary Rowlandson, wife of 
the first minister of Lancaster, was 
redeemed from captivity under 
King Philip. The narrative of her 
experience is one of the classics 
of colonial literature. 

{Route 64, near East Princeton) 

OUINCY 

William Hutchinson s Grant 

In William Hutchinson's house 
near this spot his wife Anne tarried 
on her way to Rhode Island, exiled 
from Massachusetts by the General 
Court in i\pril, 1638. 

{Beak Street) 

Moswetuset Hummock 

Moswetuset Hummock was the 
seat of Chickatawbut, Sagamore 
of the Massachusetts Indians; ad- 
joining were their planting grounds. 
"Massachusetts" means "at the 
Great (Blue) Hills. " With Chicka- 
tawbut Governor Winthrop made 
a treaty which was never broken. 

{^uincy Shore Reservation and Squantum Street) 



Merrymount 

Thomas Morton, a merry English- 
man, set up an eighty-foot maypole 
here in 1627, named the place 
Ma-re Mount, and dispensed good 
cheer. The Puritans, scandalized 
by his revels and endangered by 
his arms traffic with the Indians, 
deported him and cut the maypole 
down. 

{Pilgrim Boulevard) 

^uincy 

Site of Thomas Morton's " Merry- 
mount," 1625. Set off from Brain- 
tree in 1792. Birthplace of two 
presidents of the United States. 

(/. Furnace Brook Parkway and Southern Artery) 
{2. Old Colony Parkway) 

READING 

The Old Parker Tavern — 1680 

One-eighth of a mile to "the 
simple home of an ordinary man, 
not wealthy, not particularly dis- 
tinguished, but a type of the God- 
fearing yeomanry. ... As 
Ephraim Parker left it, it remains 
today an unchanged relic in the 
midst of a changing world." 

{Route 28 and IVashington Street) 

Reading 

Formerly part of Lynn, called 
Lynn Village, set off as a separate 
town 1644. 



(/. Route 28 at Reading-Stoneham line) 

{2. Route 28 at Reading-North Reading line) 



■{ 28 }- 




The Captive of KixNg Philip 
( Princeton ) 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



REVERE 

Tidewater Grist Mill 

The Slade Mill near by stands on 
the site of a grist mill built by 
Lieutenant Thomas Pratt in 1734, 
and operated by the rise and fall 
of tides. 

{Route I A) 

Church of Christ — lyio 

Meetinghouse of the Church of 
Christ in Rumney Marsh, erected 
in 1 7 10. Thomas Cheever, the 
first settled minister, died Decem- 
ber 27, 1749, aged ninety-one years. 

{Beach Street) 

Rumney Marsh Burying Ground 

Two hundred yards north, off 
Harris Street, is the Rumney Marsh 
Burying Ground. The oldest stone 
standing is dated 1694. 

{Route I A and Harris Street) 



ROCKPORT 

Old First Parish Burying Ground 

Original plot given by the first 
settler, Richard Tarr, who was 
buried here in 1732. Here lie 
most of the early settlers and many 
of the officers and soldiers of the 
French and Indian, Revolutionary 
and 1 8 12 Wars. 

{Beach Street) 



First Settler 

Here stood the cabin of Richard 
Tarr, founder of the Tarr family on 
Cape Ann. He came to Marble- 
head in 1680, then settled in Saco, 
Maine. Driven thence by Indians, 
he became the first settler of Sandy 
Bay (Rockport) in 1690. 

{Main Street) 

John Pool 

Here stood the first framed house 
in Sandy Bay (Rockport) built in 
1700 by the second settler John 
Pool. He built the first sawmill, 
bridge and vessel in this settlement, 
and furnished the lumber used in 
building Long Wharf, Boston, in 
1710. 

{King and Smith Streets) 

Old Stone Fort 

Site of the stone fort erected by 
public subscription as a protection 
against British warships during the 
War of 1812. 

{Bear Skin Neck) 

Bear Skin Neck 

Named from a bear caught by the 
tide and killed in 1700. Com- 
mercial and shipbuilding center of 
Rockport for 150 years. First 
dock built here 1743, Sandy Bay 
Pier Company organized 1809. 
Site of stone fort and Sea Fencibles 
Barrack during War of 181 2. 

{Dock Square) 



-{29}- 



Historical Markers of the 



Samuel de Cham-plain 

Due east from here on July i6, 
1605, the Sieur de Monts sent 
Samuel de Champlain.^ ashore to 
parley with some Indians. They 
danced for him and i traced an 
outline map of Massachusetts Bay. 
These French explorers named this 
promontory "The Cape of Islands. " 

{South Street) 

Benjamin Tarr House 

Answering a sudden alarm to 
meet at the house of Lieutenant 
Benjamin Tarr, grandson of Rich- 
ard Tarr the first settler, sixty-six 
men from this village under Captain 
John Rowe, marched to Charles- 
town and fought in the Battle of 
Bunker Hill. 

{South Street) 

ROWLEY 

First Fulling Mill 
Ten rods west is the site of the 



diah Jewett, the earliest ministers 
of the town, and nearly all the 
original settlers. 

{Route I A near Route /jj) 

Rowley 

Settled 1639 under leadership of 
the Puritan clergyman Ezekiel 
Rogers of Rowley, England, with 
a company of cloth workers from 
the West Riding of Yorkshire. 

(/. Route I at Rowley -N ewbury line) 
{2. Route I A at Rowley-Ipswich line) 

SALEM 

Witch Jail 

This house contains the frame and 
timbers of the jail where those 
accused of witchcraft were im- 
prisoned in 1692. 

{Federal Street) 



Witch House 

Take this road to the Old Witch 
House, 310 Essex Street 
owned in 1692 by 



one 



It was 
of the 



first fulling mill in the English trial judges, Jonathan Corwin, and 

colonies, built about the year 1643 there some of the witnesses were 

by John Pearson. examined. 

{Route I and Glen Road) {Route I2() and Loring Avenue) 



Rowley Burial Ground 

The Burial Ground set apart at the 
settlement of the Town of Rowley 
in 1639. Here are buried Ezekiel 
Rogers, Samuel Phillips, Samuel 
Shepard, Edward Payson and Jede- 



Hugh Peter 

On this site lived from 1635 to 1642 
Reverend Hugh Peter, minister of 
the First Church, friend of the 
fishing industry, patron of ship- 
building and overseer of Harvard 



-{30 





The Famous Maypole 

( ^uincy ) 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



College. Later a chaplain and 
adviser to Oliver Cromwell, he 
was executed by order of Charles II. 

{IVashington and Essex Streets) 

Simon Bradstreet 

On this site Simon Bradstreet, 
Governor, Deputy-Governor, and 
Assistant of Massachusetts Bay 
for nearly sixty years, dwelt from 
1676 to his death in 1697. The 
house belonged to his second wife, 
a niece of Governor Winthrop. 

{Essex Street) 

Salem 

The Indian region called Naum- 
keag. First settled by "Old Plant- 
ers" from Cape Ann under Roger 
Conant 1626. Seat of London's 
Plantation in the Massachusetts 
Bay under Governor John Ende- 
cott, 1628. Governor John Win- 
throp landed here in the Arbella 
June 12, 1630, bringing the Massa- 
chusetts Bay Charter. 

(/. Route I A) 
{2. Route loj) 

SALISBURY 

Robert Pike Homestead 

Near by stood the house built in 
1639 by Robert Pike, a leader in 
civil and military affairs who rep- 
resented Salisbury for thirty-seven 
years in the General Court. 

{Route I and Elm Street) 



First Meetinghouse 

Site of the first meetinghouse built 
on the open green in 1640. The 
bell, hung in 1642, is said to have 
been brought from England by 
order of the Reverend William 
Worcester, who settled here in 
1639. 

{Elm Street and Mudnork Road) 

Garrison House and Court House 

Near by, built in 1640, stood the 
Garrison House and Court House. 
Christopher Batt, who named this 
town for Salisbury, England, 
whence he came, trained soldiers 
in this field. 

{Elm Street) 

Salisbury 

Early name Colechester settled 
1638. Name changed to Salisbury 
1 640 in compliment to its Puritan 
clergyman William Worcester of 
Salisbury, England. 

(/. Route I at Salisbury-Seabrook line) 
{2. Route I at Salisbury-Newburyport line) 

SAUGUS 

Adam Hawkes 

Adam Hawkes, the first white 
settler in Saugus, built on this site 
about 1 630. President John Adams 
was his great-grandson. 

{Route I and Walnut Street) 

Appletons Pulpit 

In 1687 Major Appleton of Ipswich 
made a speech on this rock denounc- 



-{31}- 



Historical Markers of the 



ing the tyranny of the Royal 
Governor, Sir Edmund Andros. A 
watch was stationed on the hill 
to give warning of any approach 
of the Crown Officers. 

{Appleton Street near Central Street) 



Stockade 

On this site stood a stockade 
erected about 1642, enclosing two 
buildings, one for soldiers and the 
other for women and children. 

{Woods off Fahens Street) 

Stockade 

One-quarter of a mile southwesterly 
is the site of a stockade erected 
about 1642, enclosing two build- 
ings, one for soldiers and the other 
for women and children. 

{Route 12^ and Edison Street) 

The Scotch House 

Erected in 161 5 or 1651 by The 
Undertakers of the Iron Works in 
Lyn (Saugus) to house Scotch 
prisoners captured by Cromwell 
at the Battle of Dunbar and sold 
into seven years' service in New 
England as indentured servants. 

{Howard Street) 

Tide-Mill 

Benjamin Potter, Jacob Newhall 
and WiUiam Curtis were granted 
the privilege of conducting a tide 



mill at the bridge at East Saugus 
1721. On this site in 1722 Thomas 
Cheever and Ebenezer Merriam 
built a mill for grinding corn. 

{Lincoln Avenue) 

Iron Works 

"The Company of Undertakers for 
the Iron Works," consisting of 
English gentlemen and colonists, 
erected a furnace on this site in 
1 643. Joseph Jenks, their employe, 
built a forge here in 1647, invented 
the modern type of scythe, and 
built Boston's first fire engine. 

{Cabot Street) 

Saugus 

Before 1615 headquarters of Nane- 
pashemet, Chief of the Nipmuc 
tribes. Here were established in 
1643 the first Ironworks in New 
England, called Hammersmith, or- 
ganized by John Winthrop, Junior 
and managed by Richard Leader 
an ironmaster of Ireland. 

(/. Route I at Saugus-Lynnfield line) 
{2. Route I at Saugus-Melrose line) 

SCITUATE 

Early Boundary Line 

Boundary line between Norfolk 
and Plymouth Counties, originally 
established in 1640 as the boundary 
between the colonies of Massa- 
chusetts Bay and New Plymouth. 

{Route J A at Scituate-Cohasset line) 



-ir-Y 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



Third Cliff 

The first plantations at "Satuit" 
were laid out by the Men of Kent 
before 1628 on this cliff, which was 
then much more extensive. 

{Collier Road) 

North River 

In more than twenty shipyards 
on the banks of this river between 
1640 and 1872 many famous vessels 
were built. 

This bridge marks site of ferry 
established in 1637 by William 
Vassallj an early exponent of reli- 
gious liberty. 

{Route 3 A at Scituate-Marshfield line) 

Site of Stockbridge Mansion 

The Stockbridge mansion, built 
before 1660, stood on this site. It 
was a garrison house in King 
Philip's War for protection of 
the mills, and was successfully 
defended. 

The pond and mill were made 
famous by Woodworth's poem 
"The Old Oaken Bucket." 

{Route J A near Route /2j) 

Kent Street 

Laid out by the Men of Kent 
in 1633. Six house lots of four 
acres, extending eight rods along 
the street, and eighty rods "up 
into the woods." 

{Kent Street and Edward Foster Road) 



Williams-Barker House 

A portion of the house built by 
John Williams in 1634 is incor- 
porated in the present house. It 
was a "garrison" or place of 
refuge and defense during King 
Philip's War. 

{Wellesley Road) 

Gannetf s Corner 

Settled by Mathew Gannett in 
1651. 

{Route 3 A and Booth Hill Road) 

Satuit Brook 

From which the town derived its 
name. The Indian word, first 
written Satuit or Seteat, meaning 
cold brook, was changed in 1640 
to Scituate. 

{Front Street and Edward Foster Road) 

The Old Oaken Bucket 

Homestead and well made famous 
by Samuel Woodworth in' his poem 
"The Old Oaken Bucket. " Home- 
stead erected by John Northey 
in 1675; poet born in Scituate 
January 13, 1785. 

{Old Oaken Bucket Road) 

SHERBORN 

Sherborn 

Settled in 1652 and called Bog- 
gastow, became a town in 1674. 

(/. Junction Routes 15 and 16) 
{2. Route 15 and Main Street) 



33}- 



Historical Markers of the 



SHIRLEY 

The Revolutionary Tavern 

Built before 1747 and kept from 
1758 to 1790 by Obadiah Sawtell, 
"the old landlord." He was a 
delegate to the Provincial Congress. 
Here the men gathered at the alarm 
on April 19, 1775. 

{Route 2 and Barrett Hill) 

Old Parsonage 

The house of the first minister of 
Shirley, Phinehas Whitney. Doro- 
thy Quincy and Madam Lydia 
Hancock visited here; and here 
also in 1773 came John Hancock 
to accompany them home. Moved 
to this site in 1906 it became the 
Rectory of St. Anthony's Church. 

{Phoenix Street) 

SOMERVILLE 

Powder House 

This stone windmill built by John 
Mallet about 1703 was sold to the 
Province for a gun powder maga- 
zine in 1747. Rifled by General 
Gage of the Colony's powder on 
I September 1774, it became a 
magazine of the American Army in 
1775-76. 

{Broadway and College Avenue) 

Blessing of the Bay 

Here Governor John Winthrop 
built a bark of thirty-six tons, 
named the "Blessing of the Bay," 
which was launched July 4, 1631. 



This was probably the first vessel 
built in Massachusetts. 

{Mystic Avenue) 

Governor Winthrop House 

On Governor Winthrop Road is 
the site of the house on Governor 
John Winthrop's "Ten Hills 
Farm. " This estate included six 
hundred acres, and was granted to 
the Governor by the General Court 
of Massachusetts Bay. 

{Fellsway) 

SOUTHBOROUGH 

John Matthews' Garrison 

On Gilmore Road near this spot the 
John Matthews' Garrison was 
erected prior to 171 1. A garrison 
in colonial New England was a 
private house designated as a 
place of refuge and defense in case 
of Indian attack. 

{Route 11^ and Parkerville Road) 

STOW 

Stow 

The plantation called Pompositti- 
cut, settled about 1660, became a 
town and received its present 
name, 1685. 

(/. Routes 62 and /// at Stow-Maynard line) 

{2. Route 62 and High Street at Stow-Hudson line) 

STURBRIDGE 

Tantiusques 

The graphite or black lead deposit 
near by was valued by the Indians 



■{34}- 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



for face paint, and by the white 
men for pencils and other uses. 
John Winthrop, Jr., was "granted 
the hill at Tantousq" in 1644, and 
began to exploit the mine in 1658. 

{Route 12^ and Road to Lead Mine Pond) 

SUDBURY 

Hop Brook Mill 

To the right is the site of Hop Brook 
Mill, erected in 1659 by virtue of 
a town grant to Thomas and Peter 
Noyes, "to build and maintain 
a mill to grind the corn of the 
settlers." It is now the property 
of Henry Ford. 

{Route 20 and Concord Road) 

Sudbury Fight 

One-quarter mile north took place 
the Sudbury Fight with King 
Philip's Indians on April 21, 1676. 
Captain Samuel Wadsworth fell 
with twenty-eight of his men; 
their monument stands in the 
burying ground. 

{Route 20 and Concord Road) 

The Goodenow Garrison House 

Portion of the Goodenow Garrison 
House in which the settlers took 
refuge from King Philip's Indians 
during the battle of April 18-21, 
1676. 

{Route 20, East Sudbury) 

Haynes Garrison House 

One-eighth of a mile north is the 
site of the Haynes Garrison House 



the home of Deacon John Haynes. 
Here the settlers by their brave 
defense saved the town when King 
Philip and his Indian warriors 
attacked Sudbury in April, 1676. 

{Wayland Road and Water Row) 

Sudbury 

Settled 1638 by a company of 
Puritans who arrived in the ship 
"Confidence" and were attracted 
by the meadows on the Musketa- 
quid River. Named after Sudbury 
in Suffolk. 

(/. Route 20 at Sudbury-lVayland line) 
{2. Route 20 at Sudbury -Framingham line) 

TOPSFIELD 

Parson Capen House 

One-half mile west of here is the 
Parson Capen House. Built in 
1683 for the minister, and a fine 
specimen of domestic architecture 
of the Puritan century. Now the 
home of the Topsfield Historical 
Society. 

{Routes I and 97) 

TYNGSBOROUGH 

Mansion House 

This mansion was built in 1675 
by Colonel Jonathan Tyng for 
whom this town was named. It 
was the northerly outpost to the 
garrison house which stood a 
quarter-mile down stream opposite 
Wicassee Falls and Island where 
the Pawtucket Indians were settled. 

{Routes) 



-i^S\ 



Historical Markers of the 



WALTHAM 

First Cotton Cloth Mill 
Here stands the original factory 
built by the Boston Manufacturing 
Company in 1813, the first mill 
in which all the operations for 
making cotton cloth were carried 
on in one place, and by power. 

{Moody Street) 

WATERTOWN 

Roger Clap's Layiding 
Near this spot Roger Clap and 
other passengers of the "Mary and 
John," coming by boat from Nan- 
tasket landed their goods "with 
much labor and toil" in June, 
1630. They shortly rejoined 
their companions at Mattapan 
who had founded there the town 
of Dorchester. 

{Charles River Road and Beechwood Avenue) 

Watertown 
Settled by Puritans in 1630 under 
the leadership of Sir Richard Sal ton- 
stall and the Rev. George Phillips 
who stood firmly for religious 
toleration and the right of the 
people to a representative govern- 
ment. 

(/. Watertown Square) 

{2. Route 20 at Watertovon-Waltham line) 

WAYLAND 

First Town Center 
Site of first meetinghouse and 
center of settlement of the Sudbury 
Plantation, 1638. 

{Old Sudbury Road) 



WEBSTER 

Chaubunagu ngamaug 

Site of Praying Indian town estab- 
lished by John Eliot and Daniel 
Gookin in 1674 and known as 
Chaubunagungamaug. 

{Thompson Road near Lake Street) 

WENHAM 

Wenham 

Settled about 1636, called Enon, 
"because there was much water 
there" (St. John iii, 23). Set off 
from Salem and name changed to 
Wenham 1643. 

(/. Route I A at W enham-Beverly line) 

{2. Route I A near Wenham-Hamilton line) 

Wenham Lake 

Early called The Great Pond. 
Favorite resort of the Indians. 
Hugh Peter preached on its shores 
in 1638. 

{Route J A) 

WESTBOROUGH 

The Old Connecticut Path 

An Indian trail before 1630 left 
the road here to go over Fay 
Mountain. 

{Ruggles and Mt. Pleasant Streets) 

WEST BROOKFIELD 

Fort Gilbert 

Here stood Fort Gilbert, built 
about 1688 to protect the second 
settlement of Brookfield from In- 
dian raids. 

{North Main Street) 



•i3^y 



^ 



> 



> 

Z 

H 
o 




Massachusetts Bay Colony 



WEYMOUTH 

Weymouth 

Indian region called Wessagusset. 
Site of Thomas Weston's Colony, 
1623. Attacked by Indians and 
rescued by Captain Miles Standish. 
Named after Weymouth in Dorset, 
from which many of its settlers 
came in 1635. 

(/. Route 3 A) 

(2. Route J at Weymouth-Braintree line) 

WILBRAHAM 

The Bay Path 

An Indian trail before 1630 left the 
road here to go over Steerage 
Rock Mountain. 

{Route 20 and River Knoll) 

WINCHESTER 

The Symmes Farm 

Farm of about three hundred acres 
granted to the Reverend Zachariah 
Symmes, first minister of Charles- 
town, in 1634. This portion of the 
farm is still owned by his descend- 
ants. 

{Main Street) 

The Squaw Sachem's Reservation 

The Squaw Sachem of the Nipmucs 
sold (1639) all her people's land 
excepting "the ground we^t of the 
two great ponds called theMysticke 
Ponds, for the Indians to plant and 
hunt upon, and the weare above the 
ponds for the Indians to fish at. " 

{Route J at Winchester-Arlington line) 



John Harvard's Land 

In 1638 this tract of about one 
hundred and twenty acres was 
granted by the town of Charles- 
town to its Teaching Elder John 
Harvard. He died the same year, 
aged thirty-one, leaving half his 
property to the College which was 
then named after him. 

{Washington and Forest Streets) 

Site of First House 

Built in 1640 by Edward Converse, 
who led the party sent out by 
Charlestown to explore "Water- 
field." Selectman twenty-four 
years, deacon nineteen years, 
arrested in 1662 for speaking dis- 
respectfully of the King's letter. 

{Route jB, Main Street and Converse Place) 

Increase NowelVs Farm 

Increase Nowell, nephew to a Dean 
of St. Paul's Cathedral, and an 
original officer of the Massachusetts 
Bay Company, emigrated with 
Winthrop, settled in Charlestown 
and served as Assistant of the 
Colony until his death in 1655. 
This farm was granted to him 
in 1638. 

{Route 3 and High Street) 

WINTHROP 

Deane Winthrop House 

In 1637 WiUiam Peirce, Captain 
of the ship "Lion" erected this 



\Zl\ 



Historical Markers of the 



house which was occupied from 
1647 to 1703 by Deane Winthrop, 
younger son of Governor Winthrop. 

(Shirley Street) 

Governor Winthrop House 

Site of house erected by Governor 
Winthrop about 1634 and occupied 
for a time previous to 1647 by his 
son Deane who estabHshed on the 
nearby hill a ship signaling station 
by hoisting a bush to the top of a 
pole. 

{Shirley Street) 

WOBURN 

Woburn 

Settled by men from Charlestown 
under Captain Edward Johnson. 
Named in 1642 after Woburn, 
Bedfordshire. Here were born 
and grew up together Colonel 
Loammi Baldwin, the Engineer, 
and Benjamin Thompson (Count 
Rumford), Philanthropist and 
Scientist. 

(/. Routes 128 and J B) 
{2. Routes J and 128) 

WORCESTER 

Worcester 

The first settlement of this lonely 
region called Quinsigamond was 
attempted in 1673, but abandoned 
during King PhiHp's War. A 
second settlement, attempted in 
1684, soon named Worcester, was 



also temporarily abandoned be- 
cause of Indian hostility. Perma- 
nent occupation was effected in 
1713- 

(/. Route 20, Belmont Street and Shrewsbury Street) 

(2. Route 20, Lincoln Square) 

(j. Route 20, Main and Stafford Streets) 

First Attempted Settlement 

Here Ephraim Curtis white settler 
built in 1673 ^^'i lived until 
driven off by the Indians. 

{Lincoln Street) 

Second Attempted Settlement 

One-half mile westward stood the 
home of Digory Sergent, one of 
the second group of pioneers, whose 
attempted settlement was broken 
up by the natives. The name 
Worcester replaced the Indian 
Quinsigamond, pickerel lake, at 
the time of this settlement on 
October 15, 1684. 

{Rice Square) 

Jonas Rice 

On the slope of the hill one-half 
mile west stood the house of Jonas 
Rice, the first permanent dwelling 
in Worcester, built in 17 13. He 
served as schoolmaster and his 
son, Adonijah, was the first white 
child born in Worcester. 

{Rice Square) 

Samuel Leonards on 

At the end of Hamilton Street is the 
site of the Leonardson house from 



-{38}- 



Massachusetts Bay Colony 



which in 1695 Samuel, aged twelve, 
was taken captive. Two years 
later he was with his Indian 
master at the burning of Haverhill 
and helped Hannah Dustin to 
make her escape. 

{Hamilton and Graf Ion Streets) 



First Mill 

A few rods east stood the house 
and mill of John Wing built in 
1684. This was the only house 
left standing after the breaking of 
the second settlement of Worcester. 

{Route 122 A, at Armory) 



Wigwam Hill 

One mile north on Wigwam Hill 
was one of the three Indian villages 
on Worcester ground. The heirs 
of Sagamore Pennasanet sold their 
rights to Captains Gookin, Hench- 
man and Prentice on December 6, 
1677. 

{Route 20 and Lake Avenue) 



Indian Village Pakachoag 

One-half mile up Malvern Road 
is the Indian spring and the site 
of the Indian village Pakachoag, 
clear spring, one of the three 
Indian villages on Worcester 
ground. John EHot preached here 
in 1674. 

{Malvern Road and Southbridge Street) 



\Z9\ 



1 HE Historical Markers erected by the Massachusetts 

Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission during the year igjo are oj cast iron, both 
the post and the tablet. They were made by the Carlisle Foundry Company, 
Carlisle, Pennsylvania. 

The tablet and post were designed by Charles R. Greco, Chairman of the 
Art Cofnmission of the Commonwealth. 

The legend is the same on both sides of the tablet which is erected perpendicu- 
lar to the road in order that a passer-by from either direction may read the in- 
scription without descending from his car. 

All the tablets are thirty-six inches in width; those bearing the longer in- 
scriptions are forty-Jive inches high to the top of the coat of arms; those with the 
shorter inscriptions are thirty-five inches high to the top of the coat of arms. 

The background of the tablet is painted with alu77iinum; the letters and the 
trim in black; the coat of arms of the Commonwealth in blue and gold. The post 
is painted with aluminum. 

Those tablets erected in the country or in less crowded thoroughfares are on 
shorter posts, the bottom of the tablet being sixty inches from the ground — this 
position bringing the center of the tablet on a level with the eyes of the passing 
motorist. In city streets and places where many pedestrians pass, the tablets are 
erected on longer posts to bring the bottom of the tablet seven feet above the 
ground and thus give head room. 

The weight of the larger tablet is about 200 pounds; the weight of the 
smaller tablet is about j6^ pounds. 



^chnd^pledgment 



As a feature of the observance of the Tercentenary of the founding 
of the Massachusetts Bay Colony^ the Commission appointed by His 
Excellency the Governor to initiate and promote such observance on the 
part of the Commonivealth provided for the erection of nearly three 
hundred Historical Markers within the territory of the original Bay 
Colony. 

The Legislature appropriated $i^fiOO to enable the Department 
of Public Works to erect the Markers^ under the direction of the Ter- 
centenary Commission. 

Because of the comparatively short time available for the searching 
out of the most important of the eligible sites to be marked^ the difficult 
and arduous work of preparing arid revising the text of inscriptions^ the 
manufacture and the erection of the Markers themselves^ it was deemed 
necessary to limit the number of Markers to be set up to a maximum 
of three hundred^ and^ with a few exceptions^ to confine these to the 
territory of the original Bay Colony and to the period preceding I'/S'^- 
The City of Boston having undertaken to erect Markers within the 
municipality^ the Commission placed only one therein. 

This book reproduces the text of the inscriptions which appear on 
the tablets^ as well as photographs of a number of the Markers as 
erected. 

The Commission desires to make grateful acknowledgment of the 
cordial cooperation and assistance it has received in connection with 
this work from His Excellency Governor Frank G. Allen, the Legisla- 
ture, the Administrative Departments, the officials and public-spirited 
citizens of the cities and towns in which Markers have been erected, 
and to the following named individuals: 

To Professor Samuel E. Morison of Harvard University, the eminent 
historian, who revised and edited the text of the inscriptions, at great 
personal sacrifice of time and labor; 



To Charles Knowles Bolton, Librarian of the Boston Athenaeum, 
for invaluable counsel and advice throughout the Tercentenary year; 

To Albert H. Hall, Chief Archivist in the office of the Secretary of 
the Commonwealth, Professor U. Waldo Cutler, Librarian of the 
Worcester Historical Society, and J. Pearl Spears of Worcester, for 
their assistance in research and in the preparation of text; 

To Charles R. Greco, Chairman of the Art Commission of the 
Commonwealth, who designed the tablet and post for the Markers; 

To Commissioner Frank E. Lyman of the Department of Public 
Works, George H. Delano, Maintenance Engineer, Edgar F. Copell, 
Assistant Civil Engineer, James Bain, Superintendent " D" Street 
Garage, Bernard B. Twombly, Engineer and others of that Department 
who contributed in many ways to the success of the Commission s 
work; 

To Dr. H. J. Eckenrode and E. 0. Fippin of the Conservation and 
Development Commission of the Commonwealth of Virginia, who gave 
valuable information and advice in the early stages of the Commission s 
program; 

To Frederick W. Benker, Recording Secretary, Albert R. Rogers, 
Executive Secretary, Mrs. N. S. Bell and Miss Ethel M. Haigh of the 
Commission s staff, for enthusiastic and effective support of the Com- 
mission s program; 

And to other individuals whose suggestions and contributions were 
important and useful. 



Index 



Captions of Towns in Small Capitals (Acton) 
Title of Markers in Italics {Dunstable) 



Acton 9 

Adam Hawkes (Salisbury) . . . .31 

Adams, President John . . . • 31 
Adventurers, Dorchester ... .16 

Agawam-Ipswich (Ipswich) . . . 19 

Agnes Surriage Well (Marblehead) . 21 

American Army 34 

Liberty, Birthplace of . . 20 

Amesburv 9 

Andover 9 

Andover (Title of Marker) ... 9 

Andros, Sir Edmund . . . 9, 19, 32 

"Angel of the Battlefield" ... 27 

Annisquam . 17 

Antigua 23 

Appleton, Major 31 

Appletons Pulpit (Saugus) . . .31 
Approach to Carr's Ferry (Newbury- 

port) 25 

"Arbella," Ship .... 10, 26, 31 

Arlington 9 

Army, American 34 

Continental 13 

Headquarters, American . . 15 

Ashland 10 

Ashquoach 11 

Balch House (Beverly) 10 

Balch, John 10 

Baldwin, Colonel Loammi ... 38 

Barecove (Hingham) 19 

Barton, Clara ^ . . 27 

Bass River 10 

Batt, Christopher 31 

Battle of Bunker Hill 30 

Dunbar 32 

Lexington 20 

Green, Lexington .... 20 
Bay Colony, Massachusetts 

II, 16,24,26,32 



Bay Path, The .... 
Bay Path, The (Ashland) . 
(Hopkinton) 
(Wilbraham) 
Bear Skin Neck (Rockport) 
Beauport, Le (Gloucester) 
Beers, Captain Richard 

Massacre 
Bellingham-Cary Mansion (Chelsea) 
Bellingham, Governor Sir Richard i 
Benjamin Tarr House (Rockport) 

Bernardston 

Beverly 

BiLLERICA 

Billerica (Title of Marker) 
Bird-Sawyer Homestead (Dorchester) 

Bird, Thomas 

Birthplace of American Liberty . 

Presidents 
Blessing of the Bay (Somerville) 
Blue Hills . . . . . 
Boggastow (Sherborn) 
Boston, First Fire Engine 
Long Wharf 

Manufacturing Company 
mentioned . . 11, 16, i 

Port of 

Road 

Siege of 13,23 

Boundary Line, Norfolk and Ply- 
mouth 32 

Boylston, Zabdiel 12 

Bradford (Haverhill) 18 

Bradstreet, Anne . . . . 9, 19, 26 
Governor Simon 19, 25, 26, 31 

Braintree II 

5r«/«/r^^ (Title of Marker) . . .11 

Braintree mentioned 28 

Bridge and Grist Mill (Milton) . . 24 
Bridge, Saugus 21 



[8, 2 



II 
10 
19 
37 
29 
16 
26 
27 

13 
3> 19 
30 
10 
10 
II 
II 
15 

15 
20 

28 

34 
24, 28 

33 

32 
29 

3^ 

5,26 
21 
21 



Index 



Brimfield II 

British Warships 29 

Brookfield 12 

5roo/t/^/^ (Title of Marker) ... 12 

Brookfield mentioned 27 

Brookline 12 

Bunker Hill, Battle of 3° 

Burial Grounds, Old . 18, 21, 22, 29, 30 

Burke Fort (Bernardston) .... 10 

Burke, John 10 

Cambridge 12 

Cambridge (Title of Marker) ... 13 

Cambridge Cow Common .... 12 

mentioned n 

Canada, captives carried to . 15 

Canton 13 

Cape Ann 29, 31 

Settlement of .... 16 

of Islands 30 

Capen, Parson 35 

Capital of the Colony 13 

Captain Cooke's Mill Lane (Arlington) 9 
Captain Richard Beers (Northfield) . 26 
Captain John Heald (Acton) ... 9 
Captain Thomas Wheeler House (Ac- 
ton) 9 

Carr, George 25 

Cary, Samuel 13 

Cellar, Watts' 25 

Champlain, Samuel de . . . . 16, 30 

Charles II 3^ 

Charlestown, mentioned 21, 23, 30, 37, 38 

Way to 12 

Charter of the Colony 31 

Chaubunagungamaug (Webster) . . 36 
Chebacco Parish (Essex) . . . 15, 16 

Cheever, Reverend Thomas ... 29 

Thomas 32 

Chelmsford 13 

Chelmsford (Title of Marker) ... 13 

Chelsea 13 

Chelsea (Title of Marker) .... 14 

Chickatawbut (Sagamore) Seat of . 28 
Church in Salem Village, The (Dan- 

vers) 14 

Church of Christ — ijio (Revere) . . 29 

Church, Old Ship 18 

St. Anthony's 34 



Churchill's Lane 24 

Civil War 27 

Clap, Roger 36 

Clara Barton's Birthplace (Oxford) . 27 

Clark, Seth 22 

Cloth Workers 30 

Cochichawick 9 

Colechester (Salisbury) 31 

College, Harvard . 12, 13, 16, 23, 30, 37 

Smith 26 

Colony, Massachusetts Bay 

II, 16, 24, 26, 32 

Plymouth . . 17, 22, 24, 32 

Coming of the Arbella {^t\&r\y) . . 10 

Conant, Exercise n 

Roger . . . . 10, II, 17, 31 
Conant House (Beverly) ....11 

Concord 14 

mentioned . . . 13, 20 

"Confidence," Ship 35 

Congress, Provincial 34 

Connable Fort (Bernardston) ... 10 

Connable, Samuel lO 

Connecticut Path, The Old ... 36 

Connecticut Valley n 

"Constitution," U. S. S 21 

Converse, Edward 37 

Cooper-Austin House 12 

Cooper, John 12 

Corwin, Jonathan 30 

Cotton cloth, first mill for making . 36 
Council Rock, Indians' .... 26 
Country Highway (Milton) ... 24 

Covenant, Dedham 15 

Covered Wagon, The ^^-mXtorC) . . 18 
Cow Common, Cambridge . . .12 
Cradock, Governor Matthew ... 23 

Cromwell, Oliver 3i> 32 

Crown Officers 3^ 

Curtis, Ephraim 38 

William 3^ 

Dalton House (Newburyport) . . 25 

Dalton, Michael 25 

Tristram 25 

Danforth Homestead (Billerica) . . 1 1 
Danforth, Captain Jonathan . . .11 

Thomas 16 

Danvers 14 



Index 



Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (Ber- 

nardston) lo 

Deane Winthrop House (Winthrop) . 37 
Declaration of Independence, Signers 

of 13 

Dedham 15 

Dfd'/^flOT (Title of Marker) . . .15 

Dedham Covenant 15 

Deerfield 15 

Deerfield mentioned 17 

Deputies, House of 26 

Devotion, Edward 12 

John 12 

Dickinson, Nathaniel 26 

Dorchester 15 

Dorchester Adventurers . . . . 16 
mentioned . . . . 24, 36 

Mill 24 

Proprietors . . . . 13 

Dorset, England 37 

Downing Farm (Peabody) .... 27 
Dudley, Governor Thomas . . 12,13 

Dunbar, Battle of 32 

Dunstable 15 

D«wj/(2^/^ (Title of Marker) . . .15 

Dustin, Hannah 39 

Dwight, Timothy 26 

Eames, Thomas 16 

Early Boundary Line (Scituate) . . 32 
Early Buildings (Cambridge) . . .12 

East Saugus 32 

Waddaquodduck Mountain . . 11 
Edict of Nantes, Revocation of . .27 
Edward Rawson (Newburyport) . . 26 

Edwards, Jonathan 26 

Eliot, Reverend John 13, 17, 20, 24, 2,'^^ 39 

Jr 26 

Elmwood 13 

Emerson, Ralph Waldo .... 23 

Reverend Joseph ... 23 

Endecott, Governor John . . 14,16,31 

Endecott Pear Tree (Danvers) . -, . . 14 

"Endymion," H. M. S 21 

Enon (Wenham) ijo 

Ensign Thomas Lynde House (Melrose) 23 

Essex 15 

Essex 16 

County 21 

Eunice Williams (Greenfield) . . .17 



oncord) 



Fairbanks House (Dedham) 
Fairbanks, George . 

John . . 

Jonathan 

Vice President 
Fall Town (Bernardston) 
Faulkner Homestead (Acton) 
Faulkner, Ammi Ruhamah 
Fay Mountain .... 
Ferry, Carr's .... 

North River 
Fire Engine, Boston's First 
First Attempted Settlement (Worcester) 
First Cotton Cloth Mill (Waltham) 
First Fulling Mill (Rowley) 
First House (Gloucester) . 
First Meetinghouse (Mendon) 
First Meetinghouse (Salisbury) 
First Mill (Worcester) 
First Powder Mill (Milton) 
First Settlement (Cambridge) 
First Settlement (Northfield) 
First Settlement — i6j^. The (C 
First Settler (Rockport) 
First Town Center (Wayland) 
Fishing Industry 
Ford, Henry 

Maanexit . 

Old (Medford) 
Fort, Burke . 

Connable . 

Gilbert . . 

Huguenot . 

Old (Middleborough) 

Old Stone (Rockport) 

Quaboag Old 

Sewall 

Fort Gilbert (West Brookfield) 
Fort Sewall (Marblehead) . 
Fountain Inn .... 
Framingham .... 
Framingham (Title of Marker) 
Franco-Prussian War . 
Frankland, Sir Harry . 
Free School (Essex) . 
French and Indian War 

Explorers 
Fulling Mill, First . . 



6,1 



15 
15 
15 
15 
15 
15 
10 

9 
9 
36 
25 
ZZ 
32 
38 
36 

30 
16 

23 
31 

39 

24 

12 
26 

14 
29 

36 

25 
35 
27 
23 
10 
10 

27 

24 
29 
II 
21 

36 
21 
21 
16 
16 
27 
21 

15 

o, 15 

30 
30 



Index 



Gage, General 34 

Gannett, Mathew 23 

Gannett' s Corner (Scituate) ■ ■ ■ 22 
Garrison House and Court House (Salis- 
bury) 31 

General Court . 14, 21, 24, 26, 28, 31, 34 

George Hill 20 

Georgetown 16 

Gerry, Elbridge 13 

Gerry's Landing 13 

Gilbert, Fort 36 

Gloucester 16 

Gloucester mentioned 11 

Goffe, General (Regicide) . . . . 18 
Goodenow Garrison House^ The (Sud- 
bury) 35 

Goodnow, Mary 26 

Goodrich, Benjamin 16 

Goodrich Massacre (Georgetown) . . 16 

Goody Morse House (Newburyport) . 25 

Gookin, Captain Daniel ... 36, 39 

Gorges, Captain Robert .... 10 

Governor Winthrop House (Somerville) 34 

Governor Winthrop House (Winthrop) 38 

Governor Sir Richard Bellingham 13, 19 

Simon Bradstreet 19, 25, 26, 31 

Matthew Cradock ... 23 

Thomas Dudley . . 12, 13 

John Endecott . . 14,16,31 

Elbridge Gerry .... 13 

Sir Henry Vane .... 13 

Edward Winslow ... 22 

John Winthrop 

19. 24, 28, 31, 34, 37, 38 

Grafton 17 

Graphite Mine 34 

Great Pond, The 36 

Green, Reverend Joseph .... 14 

Greenfield 17 

Groton 17 

Groton (Title of Marker) .... 17 
Gunpowder, Manufacture of . . -24 



Hancock, John 34 

Madam Lydia .... 34 

Hartford, Conn 12, 17, 18 

Harvard College . 12, 13, 16, 23, 30, 37 

John 37 

Hassanamesit (Grafton) . . . . 17 

Hatfield 18 

///z//^/^ (Title of Marker) . ... 18 

Haverhill 18 

//fly^rA/V/ (Title of Marker) ... 18 

Haverhill, Burning of 39 

Historical Society . . .18 

Hawkes, Adam 2^ 

Hawley, Joseph 26 

Haynes, Deacon John 35 

Haynes Garrison House (Sudbury) . 35 

Heald, Captain John 9 

Henchman, Captain 39 

Hill, George 20 

Indian . . ll 

King Philip's 27 

Mayo's 27 

Pachaug 27 

Rock 23 

HiNGHAM 18 

^/w^/zflw (Title of Marker) ... 19 

Historical Society, Haverhill ... 18 

Topsfield ■ ■ • 2^ 

Hobart, Reverend Peter . . 19 

Home oj George Jacobs {T>3invQTs) . 14 
Hooker, Reverend Thomas . 12, 17 

Hop Brook Mill (Sudbury) ... 35 

HOPKINTON 19 

House of Deputies 26 

House of Edward Devotion (Brookline) 12 

Hugh Peter (Salem) 30 

Huguenot Settlement (Oxford) ... 27 

Hull 19 

Hull (Title of Marker) .... 19 

Hutchinson, Captain Edward . . 25 

Anne 28 

William 28 



Hadley 18 

//«^/0' (Title of Marker) .... 18 

Hale Farm (Beverly) 11 

Hale, Reverend John 11 

Hamilton 18 

Hammersmith (ironworks) .... 32 



Increase Nowell's Farm (Winchester) 37 
Indian Attacks 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 
22, 23, 25, 26, 27, 35, 37, 38, 39 
Bible, printer of .... 17 
Indian Council Fires (Northfield) . . 27 
Indian Hill (Bnmfield) .... 11 
Indian Meetinghouse (Natick) . . 24 



Index 



Indian Reservation (Grafton) . . .17 

Indian Rock 24 

Indian Trail (Milton) 24 

Indian Trails 11, 12, 17, 21, 23, 24, 36, 37 
Indian Village (Marblehead) ... 21 
Indian Village Pakachoag (Worcester) 39 

Indians' Council Rock 26 

Indians, Nipmuc . . 22, 23, 25, 32, 37 

Pawtucket 35 

Pennacook 20 

Wamesit 20 

Wampanoag 27 

Ipswich 19 

Ipswich mentioned . 12, 15, 16, 18, 31 
Ireland, An ironmaster of . . . • 3- 

Iron Deposits 20 

Works 32 

Iron Works (Saugus) 32 

Island, Tyng's 20 

Wicassee . . . . . 20, 35 



Jacobs, George 

James the Printer .... 
Jason Russell House (Arlington) 

Jenks, Joseph 

Jethro's Tree (Concord) 

Jewett, Reverend Jedediah 

John Harvard's Land (Winchester) 

John Matthews' Garrison (Southbor 

ough) 

John Pool (Rockport) . 
John Rogers Homestead (Billerica) 
John Ward House (Haverhill) 
John Wise House (Essex) . 
Johnson, Captain Edward 

John 

Johnson Massacre, The (Oxford) 
Jonas Rice (Worcester) 



14 
17 
9 
32 
14 
30 
37 

34 

29 

II 

18 
16 

38 

27 
27 

38 



Kent, Men of 2)2 

Kent Street (Scituate) 1,1, 

King Philip's Hill (Northfield) . . 27 

King Philip's War 9, 17, 18, 2i, 23, 24, 27, 

28, ZZ^ zs^ 38 

Lace, Pillow 19 

Lancaster 20 

Lancaster (Title of Marker) ... 20 

Lancaster mentioned 28 



Landing Place of First Settlers (New- 
bury) 25 

Leader, Richard 32 

Leonardson, Samuel 38 

Lexington 20 

Lexington Battle Green (Lexington) . 20 

Lexington, Battle of 20 

Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (Ber- 

nardston) 10 

Lincoln, Abraham 19 

Perez 19 

Samuel 19 

Lincoln House (Hingham) . . . . 19 

"Lion," Ship 3-7 

Littleton 20 

London's Plantation 31 

Long Wharf, Boston 29 

Lowell 20 

Lynde, Deacon 23 

Ensign Thomas .... 23 

Lynn 21 

Ljyww (Title of Marker) .... 21 
Lynn Public Market (Lynn) . . .21 

Lynn Regis 21 

Village 28 

Maanexit Ford 27 

River 27 

Macy-Colby House (Amesbury) . . 9 

Macy, Thomas 9 

Maine, District of 16 

Malden . . : 21 

Mallett, John 34 

Mansion House (Tyngsborough) . . 35 

Marblehead 21 

Marblehead mentioned .... 29 

Ma-re Mount 28 

Marietta, Ohio 18 

Marlborough 22 

Marlborough (Title of Marker) . . 22 

Marshfield 22 

Marshfield (Title of Marker) ... 22 

"Mary and John," Ship .... 36 

Mary Goodnow's Grave (Northborough) 26 

Massachusetts Bay 11 

Charter . . .31 

Colony 

II, 16, 24, 26, 32 

Company . 23, 37 

Map of ... 30 



Index 



"Massachusetts," meaning of . . 28 

Massasoit (Sachem) 27 

Mattapan 36 

Maverick, Samuel 14 

Mayo's Hill 27 

Maypole, Thomas Morton's ... 28 

Medfield 22 

Medford 23 

M^^or^ (Title of Marker) ... 23 

Meetinghouse Hill (Lowell) ... 20 

Melrose 23 

Mendon 23 

Mendon (Title of Marker) ... 23 

Men of Kent 23 

Merriam, Ebenezer 32 

Merrimack Canal (Lowell) ... 20 

Merrimack River 18, 25 

Merrymount (Quincy) 28 

"Middleberry" (Middleborough) . 24 

MiDDLEBOROUGH 23 

Milldam, The (Concord) .... 14 

Mill Lane, Captain Cooke's ... 9 

Milton ; ... 24 

Milton, John 13 

Mine, Black Lead 34 

Mishawam (Charlestown) .... 21 

Monoco, Chief John 17 

Monts, Sieur de 30 

Morse, Goody 25 

Morton, Thomas 28 

Moswetuset Hummock (Quincy) . . 28 

Mountain, East Waddaquodduck . 1 1 

Fay 36 

Steerage Rock .... 37 

Muddy River (Brookline) .... 12 

Musketaquid-Concord (Concord) . . 14 

Musketaquid River 35 

Mystic River 23 

(Village) 23 

Mysticke Ponds 37 

Nanepashemet (Sachem) . . 22, 23, 32 

Nantasket 36 

Nantucket 9 

Nasheway, Plantation of (Lancaster) 20 

Nashobah (Littleton) 20 

Nashua, New Hampshire . . . . 15 

Natascot (Hull) 19 

Nathaniel Dickinson House (North- 
field) 26 



Natick 24 

Natick (Title of Marker) .... 24 

Naumkeag (Salem) . . . . 21, 31 

Nemasket River 24 

Neponset River 24 

New Braintree 25 

Newbury 25 

Newbury (Title of Marker) ... 25 

Newbury mentioned 18 

Newburyport 25 

Newburyport mentioned .... 20 

Newhall, Jacob 32 

New Hampshire line 15 

Newton 26 

New York 27 

Nipmuc Indians . . 22, 23, 25, 32, 37 

Nonantum 24 

Nonotuck (Northampton) ... 26 

Norfolk County 32 

Northampton 26 

Northampton (Title of Marker) . . 26 

North Andover 26 

northborough 26 

Northey, John 22 

NORTHFIELD 26 

North River (Scituate) 23 

Northwest Territory i8 

Norwottuck (Hadley) i8 

Nowell, Increase 37 

Noyes, Thomas and Peter • • • 35 

Old Burial Hill (Marhlehead) . .21 
Old Connecticut Path, The (West- 
borough) 36 

Old Deerjield (DecrMd) .... 15 
Old First Parish Burying Ground 

(Rockport) 29 

Old Ford— Mystic River (Medford) . 23 
Old Fort (Middleborough) .... 24 
Old Indian Trail (Maiden) ... 21 
Old Maanexit Ford (Oxford) . . . l-j 
Old Marshfield Training Field (Marsh- 
field) 22 

Old Oaken Bucket, The (Scituate) . 23 
Old Parker Tavern— 1680, The (Read- 
ing) 28 

Old Parsonage (Shirley) .... 34 
Old Planters, The . . . .10,11,31 

Old Ship Church {l\:\ng\viLm) ... 18 

Old Stone Fort (Rockport) .... 29 



Index 



Oldest House in Cambridge (Cam- 
bridge) 12 

Oxford 27 

Pachaug Hill 27 

Pakachoag 39 

Parker, Captain James . . . . 17 

Ephraim 28 

Parker House (Groton) . . . . 17 

Parker, Reverend Thomas ... 25 

River 25 

Parson Capen House (Topsfield) . 2S 

Passaconaway (Sachem) .... 20 

Path, Planters 10 

The Bay .... 10, 11, 19,37 

The Old Connecticut . . . 2^ 

Payson, Reverend Edward ... 30 

Pawtucket Falls 20 

Indians 35 

Peabody 27 

Peak House (Medfield) .... 22 

Pear Tree, Endecott 14 

Pearson, John 30 

Peirce, Captain William .... 37 

Pelham, Herbert 12 

Pennacook Indians 20 

Pennasanet (Sagamore) . . . • 39 

Pentucket-Haverhill (Title of Marker) 18 

Pen tucket (Haverhill) 18 

Petapawag (Groton) 17 

Peter, Reverend Hugh . . . ■ 30, 36 
Philip, King {See King) 

Phillips Andover Academy ... 9 
Phillips, Reverend George 12,36 

Samuel ... 30 

Pike-Haven Homestead (Framingham) 16 

Pike, Jeremiah 16 

Robert 31 

Pillow Lace (Ipswich) 19 

Planters Neck (Gloucester) . . -17 
Planters Path to Their Landing Place 

(Beverly) 10 

Plymouth . . . .17, 22, 23, 24, 32 

County 32 

Pocumtuck (Deerfield) . . . . 15 

Pompositticut (Stow) 34 

Ponkapoag I3> 24 

Ponkapoag Plantation (Canton) . 13 

Pool, John 29 

Post Route 27 



Potter, Benjamin 32 

Powder House (Somerville) ... 34 

Powder Mill, First 24 

Pratt, Thomas 13 

Lieut. Thomas 29 

Praying Indian Town (Littleton) . 20 

Praying Indian Towns . 13, 17, 20, 24, 36 

Prentice, Captain 39 

Prescott, John 20 

Presidents, Birthplace of . . . .28 

Pride, Colonel Thomas . . . 10 

John 10 

Pride^s Crossing (Beverly) . . . 10 

Princeton 28 

Printer, James the 17 

Proctor, John 27 

Proprietors, Dorchester . . . . 13 

Provincial Congress 34 

Public Market (Lynn) 21 

Puritans 14, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28, 30, 31, 35, 36 

Quaboag 12 

Old Fort n 

Quakers, Harboring 9 

Quascacunquen (Newbury) ... 25 

QuiNCY 28 

^uincy (Title of Marker) .... 28 

Quincy, Dorothy 34 

Quinsigamond (Worcester) ... 38 

Qunshapage (Mendon) .... 23 

Rawson, Edward 26 

Reading 28 

Reading (Title of Marker) ... 28 

Red Cross 27 

Redeemed Captive, The . . . 17 

Redemption Rock (Princeton) ... 28 

Regicides 10, 18 

Revere 29 

Revocation of the Edict of Nantes . 27 

Revolution, American 19 

Revolution 0/ i68g (Ipswich) . . .19 

Revolutionary Tavern, The (Shirley) . 34 

Rhode Island 15, 28 

Rice, Adonijah 38 

Jonas 38 

River, Bass 10 

Maanexit 27 

Merrimack 18,25 

Muddy 12 



Index 



Musketaquid 35 

Mystic 23 

Nemasket 24 

Neponset 24 

North 22 

Parker 25 

Robert Pike Homestead (Salisbury) . 31 

Robinson, Abraham 17 

Rock Hill {Mtdiord) 23 

Rock, Indian 24 

Indians' Council .... 26 

Redemption 28 

Rowlandson 20 

Steerage n 

RocKPORT 29 

Rocky Neck (Gloucester) .... 16 

Roger Clap's Landing (Watertown) . 36 

Roger Sherman {Canton) . . . 13 

Rogers, Reverend Ezekiel ... 30 

Rowe, Captain John 30 

Rowlandson Rock (Lancaster) ... 20 

Rowlandson, Mary 28 

Rowley 3° 

/^ow/^j- (Title of Marker) .... 30 

Rowley Burial Ground (Rowley) . . 30 

Rowley Village (Haverhill) ... 18 

Roxbury mentioned 15 

Roy all House (Medford) .... 23 

Royall, Isaac 23 

Rumford, Count (Benjamin Thomp- 
son) 38 

Rumney Marsh 29 

Rumney Marsh Burying Ground 

(Revere) _ . . 29 

Russell, Jason, Martha and William . 9 

Rust, Nathaniel, Jr 15 

Sachem, Squaw 23, 37 

Saco, Maine 29 

St. Anthony's Church, Rectory of . 34 

St. Paul's Cathedral, Dean of • ■ 37 

Salem 3° 

5a/fw (Title of Marker) .... 31 
Salem mentioned 10, 11, 14, 16, 21, 27, 2^ 

Salisbury 3^ 

^a//j^«r>' (Title of Marker) ... 31 

Salisbury mentioned 25 

Saltonstall, Sir Richard . . 13, 19, 36 

Samuel de Champlain {GXoMCtsttt) . 16 

Samuel de Champlain (Rockport) . 30 



Samuel Leonardson (Worcester) . . 38 

Samuel Lincoln House {Hmgham) . 19 

Sandy Bay (Rockport) .... 29 

Satuit (Scituate) 22 

Satuit Brook (Scituate) . ... 22 

Saugus 31 

Saugus (Title of Marker) .... 32 

Saugus Bridge (Lynn) 21 

Saugus (Lynn) 21 

Sawtell, Obadiah 34 

Scituate 32 

Scotch House, The (Saugus) . -32 

Scythe, modern type, invented at 

Saugus 3^ 

Sea Fencibles 29 

Second Attempted Settlement (Wor- 
cester) 38 

Sergent, Digory 38 

Servants, Indentured 32 

Seteat (Scituate) 22 

Settlement of Cape Ann (Gloucester) . 16 

Sewall, Chief Justice Samuel ... 21 

Fort 21 

Shawshin (Billerica) ii 

Sheldon, Deacon Ebenezer ... 10 

Eliakim 10 

Lieut. Ebenezer .... 10 

Shepard, Reverend Samuel • • • 30 

Thomas 12 

Sherborn 22 

Sherborn (Title of Marker) ■ ■ • 22 

Sherman, Roger 13 

Shipbuilding .... 15,29,33,34 

Shipyard of 1668 {Essty.) .... 15 

Shirley 34 

Simon and Anne Bradstreet (North 

Andover) 26 

Simon Bradstreet (Salem) . . . ■2'^ 

Sir Richard's Landing (Cambridge) . 13 

Site of Early Meetinghouse (Newton) 26 

Site of First House (Winchester) . . 37 

Site of Stockbridge Mansion (Scituate) 22 

SladeMill 29 

Slaves, Inoculated for Smallpox . . 12 

Isaac Royall's 23 

Smallpox, First Inoculation for . . 12 

Smith College 26 

Somerville 34 

southborough 34 

Spinning wheels manufactured . . i6 



Index 



Sprague, William, Richard and Ralph 21 

Squaw Sachem 23 

Squaw Sachem's Reservation, The 

(Winchester) . 
Standish, Captain Miles 
Stark, General John 
Steerage Rock (Brimfield) 
Steerage Rock Mountain 
Stockade (Saugus) 
Stockbridge Mansion . 
Stoughton, Israel 

Stow 

Stow (Title of Marker) 
Stowe, Harriet Beecher 
Sturbridge .... 
Sturbridge mentioned . 
Sudbury .... 
Sudbury (Title of Marker) 
Sudbury mentioned 
Sudbury Fight (Sudbury) 
Sudbury Plantation. 
Surriage, Agnes . 
Symmes Farm, The (Winchester) 
Symmes, Reverend Zachariah 



37 
37 
23 
II 

37 
32 

2Z 

24 

34 

34 

9 

34 

27 

35 
35 

11 

2S 
36 
11 

37 
37 



Takawambait, Daniel 24 

Talcott, Major 27 

Tantiusques (Sturbridge) .... 34 

Tantousq 35 

Tarr, Lieut. Benjamin ... 30 

Richard 29, 30 

Taxation without Representation, pro- 
test against 12 

"Tenedos,"H. M. S 21 

Ten Hills Farm 34 

Third Cliff (Scituate) 22 

Thomas Fames (Framingham) . . 16 
Thomas Hooker Trail (Grafton) . . 17 
Thomas Pratt House (Chelsea) . . 13 
Thompson, Benjamin (Count Rum- 
ford) 38 

Tide-Mill (Saugus) 32 

Tidewater Grist Mill (Revere) - . . 29 

TopsFiELD 35 

Topsfield Historical Society ■ ■ ■ 3S 

Training Field, Old Marshfield . . 22 

Treaty with Chickatawbut ... 28 

Tyng, Colonel Jonathan ■ ■ ■ ■ 3S 

Tyngsborough 35 

Tyng's Island 20 



Undertakers 20, 32 

Unkety Mill 24 

Vane, Governor Sir Henry -13 
Vassall, William ^3 



Wading Place, The (Middleborough) 23 
Wadsworth, Captain Samuel • • • 35 

Waltham 36 

Wamesit Indians 20 

Wampanoag (Indians) 27 

Wannalancet (Lowell) 20 

War, Civil 27 

Franco-Prussian 27 

French and Indian ... 10, 29 

King George's 10 

Philip's 9, 17, 18, 23, 24, 27, 28 

33. 35. 38 
ofi8i2 29 

Revolutionary 29 

Ward, Nathaniel 19 

Reverend John 18 

Washington, George . . . . 13, 25 

Waterfield 37 

Watertown 36 

Watertown (Title of Marker) ... 36 

Watertown mentioned . . . 12, 15 

Watts' Cellar (Newburyport) ... 25 

Way to Charles town (Cambridge) . . 12 

Wayland 2(> 

Webster 36 

Webster, Daniel 22 

Wenham 2(> 

Wenham (Title of Marker) ... 36 

Wenham Lake (Wenham) . . . . '^d 

Wessagusset (Weymouth) .... 37 

Westborough 36 

West Brookfield 36 

West Medford 23 

Weston, Thomas 37 

Weymouth 37 

Weymouth (Title of Marker) ... 37 

Whalley, General (Regicide) . . .18 

Wheeler, Captain Thomas . . 9) 25 

Wheeler s Surprise (New Brain tree) . 25 

Whipsufferage (Marlborough) . . 22 

Whitney, Reverend Phinehas ... 34 

Whittier, John Greenleaf .... 9 



Index 



Wicassee Falls 35 

Island 20, 35 

Wigwam Hill (Worcester) • • • 39 

WiLBRAHAM 37 

Willard, Major Simon H 

William Hutchinson s Grant (Quincy) 28 

Williams-Barker House (Scituate) . 22 

Williams, Eunice i? 

John 22) 

Lieut. Abraham ... 22 

Reverend John .... 17 

Williams Tavern (Marlborough) . . 22 

Winchester 21 

Winepoykin 22, 

Wing, John 39 

Winnisimmet (Chelsea) .... 14 

Winslow, Governor Edward ... 22 

WiNTHROP 37 

Winthrop, Deane 3^ 

Governor John 19, 24, 28, 31, 

34, 37, 38 
John, Jr. . . .19,3^,35 



Wise, Reverend John . . . 16, 19 

Witchcraft . . . 11, 14, 16, 25, 28, 30 

Witch House (Salem) 30 

Witch Jail (Salem) 30 

WOBURN 38 

Woburn (Title of Marker) .... 38 

Woburn mentioned 13 

Woodbery, John 10 

Woodstock, Connecticut .... 27 

Woodworth, Samuel 23 

Worcester 3^ 

Worcester (Title of Marker) ... 38 

Worcester, Reverend William . . 31 



Yorkshire, West Riding of 



Zabdiel Boylston (Brookline) 



30 



12 



This is Copy 77umber 

of Three Thousand Copies of the book of 
Historical Markers of the Massachusetts 
Bay Colony^ published by the Massachu- 
setts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commis- 
sion in the Tercentenary Year Nineteen 
Hundred and Thirty. 



The readers of this volume may be interested in consulting an 
excellent map, fully annotated, and embracing a large por- 
tion of the territory in Eastern Massachusetts oj the early 
Puritan occupations. This map was prepared and contribut- 
ed by the Trustees of Public Reservations, a Massachusetts 
corporation, and was furnished without cost to the State for 
distribution with the State publication entitled Pathways of 
the Puritans. 




1676 



Designed and Printed by 

The Commonwealth Press 

Worcester, Massachusetts 



BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY 



3 9999 05060 528 4