Skip to main content

Full text of "Historical notices of Connecticut;"

See other formats


.JSIEVELAND, 0. y^f, ^zf^ 


Copy 2 

^^a '^^r^* 


After the settlements of Plymouth and Massachu- 
setts Bay, the violent persecution of the Puritans in 
England, made great numbers look towards America 
as the only safe retreat from the impending storm. 

In 1630, Rev. Thomas Hooker, a man of great 
learning and abilities and a famous preacher, at 
Chelmsford, Essex, England, was silenced for non- 
conformity. To escape fines and imprisonment, he 
fled to Holland. He was held in such high and uni- 
versal esteem among his acquaintance, that forty- 
seven ministers in his vicinity, and all conformists, 
petitioned the bishop of London in his favor. They 
witnessed for Mr. Hooker, that they esteemed him, 
and knew him "to be, for doctrine orthodox, for life 
and conversation honest, for disposition peaceable, 
and no wise turbulent or factious." However, as he 
was a non-conformist, no personal or acquired excel- 
lencies, no testimonials of his good conduct, nor 
prayers of his friends, could save him from prosecu- 
tion and deposition. He was so esteemed as a 
preacher, that not only his own people, but others 
from all parts of the country, flocked to hear him. 
The noble earl of Warwick, though he resided at a 
great distance from Chelmsford, was so delighted 
with his public performances, that he frequently 
attended them. Great numbers who attended his 
ministry, and experienced its salutary effects, were 
wifling to emigrate to any part of the world, to enjoy 
the happiness of such a pastor. 


No sooner, iheretorer was Mr. Hooker driven from 
them, than theVtiirnG^I their eyes towards New 
land They helped nl??rt if comforiable settlements 
conld be made in this part of America, they might 
obtain him for their pn'stor. Therefore in 16.2, a 
laroe body of them came over, and settled at JNew- 
town, since called Cambridge, in Massachusetts. 
Tho'^e who before had arrived and commenced a 
settlement at Weymoutb, all removed to Newtown 
ancf settled with their brethren. 

They had- e-cpresscd their earnest desires to Mr. 
Hook«r;Shaf fee woiild b5nfe c^'er into New England 
and take the pastoral charge of them. At their desire 
he left Holland, and having obtained Mr. oamuel 
Stone, a lecturer at Towcester, Northamptonshire, tor 
an assistant in the ministry, took his passage k>r New 
England, and arrived in Boston, September 4th, Ib^--^. 
With hirfi came the famous Mr. John Cotton, Mr. 
John Haynes, afterwards governor of Connecticut, 
Mr. Goft;'and two hundred other passengers ot im- 
portance to the colony. Mr. Hooker proceeded to 
Newtown, where he found himself in tlie i^^^^lst ot a 
ioyful and affeciionate people, and was himselt hiled 
with joy. He embraced them with open arms, say- 
in^ in the lanounge of the apostle, " Now I live, if ye 
stand fast in the Lord." He was soon chosen pastor 
and Mr. Stone teacher. The church was gathered al 
Newtown, October 11th; and after solemn fasting 
and prayer, the pastor and teacher were ordained to 
their respective ollices. This was the pious band 
who afterwards transported themselves in their 
associated capacity to Hartford, which they hrst 
named Newtown. at •> 

Jn 1634, by the continued emigration to New Eng- 
land, the people at Watertown, Dorchester and New- 
town began to be much straitened ; and receiving 
from those who had been to Connecticut, intelligence 
of the excellent meadows upon the river, they deter- 
mined to remove thither, and once more brave the 
dangers and hardships of making settlements m a 
dreary wilderness. This occasioned great excitement 


JAN 5 » 1915 


and opposition in MiLSsachusetts. But after a pro- 
tracted discussion, the General Court, in 1635, finally 
granted permission to remove thither. A commence- 
ment ot the settlement was made in 1635. Their 
suflerinfrs and trials while on their journey through 
the wilderness, and during the long and severe winter 
which followed, are well known. In 1636, Mr. Hooker, 
and Mr. Stone, and a company of one hundreil men, 
women and children, took their departure from Cam- 
bridge, and traveled more than 3. hundred miles, 
through a hideous and trackless wilderness to Hart- 
ford. ^ They had no guide but their compass; and 
made their"^ way over mountains, through swamps, 
thickets and rivers, which were passable with great 
difhcuky. They had no cover but the heavens, and 
no lodgings but such as nature afforded them. They 
drove with them one hundred and sixty head of cattle, 
and subsisted by the way on the milk of their cows. 
Mrs. Hooker w*as borne through the wilderness on a 
litter. The people generally carried their pack?, arms 
and some utensils. They were nearly a fortnight on 
their journey. This adventure was the more remark- 
able, as many of this company were persons of figure, 
who in England had lived in honor, affluence and 
delicacy, and were strangers to fatigue and danger. 
Gov. Haynes and some others did not appear in the 
colony until 1637. 


The Indian name of Hartford was Suckiage. The 
settlers first named it Newtown from the place of their 
residence in Massachusetts ; but in February, 1637, 
thev «^ave it the present name of Hartford. The 
place ""was originally purchased by Mr. Stone, Mr. 
WiUiam Goodwin and others, for the proprietors, of 
Sunckquasson, the Indian chief and proprietor of the 
soil. The original treaty was lost or carried away, 
and was renewed by his"^ heirs and successors m 1670. 
The following is a true copy from the records ; 



"Whereas our predecessor Sunckquasson, sachem 
of Suckiage, alias Hartford, did about the yeare six- 
teen hundred thirty six, by a writeing under his hand, 
pass over unto Mr. Samuel Stone and Mr. Wm. 
Goodwin, in the behalfe of the present proprietors and 
owners of the lands belonging to the township oi' 
Hartford, all that part of his country from a tree 
marked N. F. which is the divident between Hartfcrd 
and Wethersfield — we say from the afoarsayd tree 
on the south, till it meet with Windsor bounds on the 
north, and from the great river on the east, the whole " 
bredth to run into the wilderness towards the west 
full six miles, which is to the place where Hartford 
and Farmington bounds meet ; which grant of Sunck- 
quasson, as occasion hath been, was by him renewed 
to the honoured John Haines, Esqr. and other the first 
magistrates of this place, and enlarged to the west- 
w^ard so far as his country went ; which enlargement 
as well as his former grant was made in presence of 
many of the natives olthe place and English inhabit- 
ants ; and severall yeares after, about the time (jf the 
planting of Farmington in the yeare one thousand six 
hundred and forty, in a writeing made between the 
English and Fethus the sachem or gentleman of that 
place, there is a full mention of the afoarsayd Sunck- 
quasson his grant of his country to the magistrates of 
this place, which grant we are privy too ; and we 
being the onely successors of Sunckquasson and pro- 
prietors (before the forementioned sale) of the lands 
belonging to the township of Hartford on the west 
side of the great river, being desired to confirm and 
pass over all our right and interest in the afoarsayd 
lands to the present possessors of them, they infbrme- 
ing us that those writcings made by Sunckquasson 
before recited are at present out of the way, knowing 
what our predecessor hath done, and what considera- 
tion he hath received for the same, — » 


We, Masseeckcup and William squa in behalf of 
ourselves and Wawarme the sister and onely heire of 
Sunckquasson, and Keepequam, Seacutt, Jack Spiner, 
Currecombe, Wehassatuck s({ua and Seacunck squa, 
the onely inhabitants that are surviveing of the afoar- 
sayd lands, doe by these presents owne, acknowledge 
and declare, that Sunckquasson whoe was the sachem 
of Suckiage alias Han lord, and grand proprietor of 
the lands adjacent, did with the consent of those of 
us whoe were of age to declare our consent, and with 
the consent of the rest of the inhabitants of this place, 
about the year 1636, pass over unto Mr. Samuel Stone 
and Mr. Wm. Goodwine, in behalfe and for the use of 
themselves and their company, all the land from 
Wethersiield bounds on the south, to Windsor bounds 
on the north, and the whole bredth from Conecticutt 
river on the east six large miles into the wilderness on 
the west, which sayd grant was afterwards upon 
further consideration renewed and enlarged by the 
sayd Sunck(|uasson, upon the desire of the honoured 
Mr. Haines and the rest of the magistrates of this 
place : but we being informed that on the removeall 
of some of ihe gentlemen afoarmentioned, the papers 
and writeings before specifyed are out of the way, 
and haveinof now received of Mr. Samuel Willvs, 
Capt. John Tallcott, Mr. John Allyn and Mr. James 
Richards, a farther grattification of near the value the 
land was esteemed at bef)re the English came into 
these parts — to prevent all farther trouble between 
ourselves and the inhabitants of Hartford, we the 
sayd Masseeckcup, Wm squa as afoarsayd, and Sea- 
cutt, Keepequam, Jack Spiner, Currecombe, Wehas- 
satuck squa and Seacunck squa, upon the considera- 
tion forementioned, by these presents have and doe 
fully, clearly and absolutely give, gnint, bargain, sell, 
alien, enteofe and conhrme unto Mr. Samuel Willys, 
Capt. John Tallcott, Mr. John Allyn, and Mr. James 
Ricliards, in behalfe of iho rest of the proprietors of 
the land belonging to the township of Hirtford, their 
heires and assignes f )rever, all that parcell of land 
from a tree marketl N. F. being a boundary between 


Wethersfield and Hartford on the south, to Windsor 
bounds on the north, and the whole bredth of land 
from Wethersfield to Windsor bounds from the great 
river on the east to runn into the wilderness westward 
full six miles, which is to the place where Hartford 
and Farmino-ton bounds meet, — To have and to hold all 
the afoarsa3^d parcell of land as it is bounded, with 
all the meadowes, pastures, woodes, underwood, 
stones, quarries, brookes, ponds, rivers, profitts, 
comodities and appurtenances whatsoever belonging 
thereto, unto the sayd Mr. Samuel Willys, Capt. John 
Tallcott, Mr. James Richards and Mr. John Allyn, in 
behalfe of themselves and the rest of the inhabitants of 
the towne of Hartford, whoe are stated proprietors in 
the undivided lands, their heires and assignes, to the 
onely proper use and behoofe of the sayd Mr. Samuel 
Willys, Capt. John Tallcott, Mr. John Allyn and Mr. 
James Richards as afoarsayd, their heires and assignes 
forever; and the sayd Massecup and Wm squa in 
behalf of themselves and Wawarme the sister of 
Sunckquasson and Seacutt, Keepequam, Jack Spiner, 
Currecombe, Wehassatuck squa, and Secunck squa, 
doe covenant to and with the sayd Mr. Samuel Willi's, 
Mr. John Talcott, Mr. James Richards and Mr. John 
Allyn, that after and next unto the afoarsayd Sunck- 
quasson, they the said Masseeckcup, Wm squa, 
Seaeutt, Keepequam, &c. have onely full power, good 
right, and lawfull authority to grant, bargain, sell and 
convey all and singular the before hereby granted or 
mentioned to be granted premises with their and 
every of their appurtenances, unto the sayd Mr. 
Samuel Willys, Mr. John Tallcott, Mr. John Allyn 
and Mr. James Richards as afoarsayd, their heires 
and assignes forever, and that they the sayd Mr. 
Samuel Willys, Mr. John Tallcott, Mr. John Allyn 
and Mr. James Richards, and the rest of the proprie- 
tors of the undivided lands within the bounds of the 
township of Hartford, their heires and assignes, shall 
and may by force and vertue of these presents, from 
time to time and all times forever hereafter, lawfully 
have, receive and take the rents issues and profitts 


thereof to their owne proper use and behooffe forever, 
without any lett, suit, trouble or disturbance whatso- 
ever of the heires of Suackquasson or of us the sayd 
Massecup, Wm Squa, Seacutt, Keepequam, Jack 
Spiner, Currecombe, Wehassatuck squa, and Sea- 
cunck squa, our heires or assignes, or of any other 
person or persons whatsoever clayming by, from or 
under us or any of us or by our meanes, act, consent, 
j)riority or procurement, and that free and clear and 
freely and clearly acquitted, exonerated and dis- 
charged or otherwise from time ta time, well and 
sufficiently saved and kept harmless by the sayd 
Massecup, William — squa, Seacutt and Keepequam, 
&c. their heires, executors and administrators from 
all former and other grants, guifts, bargains, sales, 
titles, troubles, demands, and incumbrances whatso- 
ever had, made, committed, suffered or done by the 
afoarsayd Massecup, WiUiam squa, Keepequam, Sea- 
cutt, &c. 

"In witness whereof, they have signed, sealed and 
delivered this writeing with their own hands, this 
fifih'of July, one thousand six hundred and seventy. 

Signed, sealed and delivered 

in presence of 
Arramamatt, his mark, 
Mamanto,\\\s mark, 
Ncschegcn, his mark, 
A^tumtoha, his mark, 
Wemwc, his mark, 
Will Wads worth, 
John Addavis, 
John Strickland , 
Giles Hamlin. 

Masseeckcup, his mark, l. a. 
Seacutt, his mark, l. s. 

Jack Spiner, his mark, l. s. 

Seacunck squa's mark, l. s. 

Currecombe, his mark, l. s. 
Keepequam, his mark, l. s. 

William squa's mark, l. s. 

Wehassatuck squa's mark, l. s. 
Nesacanett gives consent to this 

grant and bargain, as hewitness- 

eth by subscrit)ing 
Nesacanett, his mark, l. s. 

The original marks or signatures of the Indians are 
singular and grotesque. Some represent implements 
of war, some wild beasts, &cc. 



The following list of names is found in connection 
with two divisions of lands distributed to the said pro- 
prietors, in the proportions of the number or numbers 
annexed to each. The orthography is that of John 
Ailvn who transcribed the names from the old Town 
Book on to the Ptecords in 16G5. The true orthogra- 
phy will be found on the subsequent pages. John 
Allyn's entry is as follows : 

"The proprietors of the undivided lands in Hart- 
ford, with each of their proportions in one division as 
foUoweth, according to which proportions they payd 
for the purchass of sayd lands :" 

[The ' Mr.' prefixed to the names was a high honor, 
and was only bestowed on clergymen and men of the 
highest distinction.] 

Mr. John Haines, 200, William Lewis, 40, 33, 

Mr. George WiUis, 200, WiUiam Spencer, 30, 40, 
Mr. Edward Hopkins, 120, William Andrewes, 3-3, 30, 

Mr. Thomas Wells, 100, Steven Heart. 40, 

Mr. John W^ebster, 100, Bartholomew Greene, for- 
Mr. Thomas Hooker, SO, feited and settled b}^ the 
Mr. Samuel Stone, 40, town on 

Mr. Wm. Good wine, 56, John Crow, 40, 20, 

Mr. Wm. Whiitinge, 100, John Moodey, 40, 

Mr. Mathew Allyn", 110, Thomas Standley, 42, 

Mr. .lohn Tallcott, 90, Timothy Standley, 36, 32, 

James Olmsteed, 75, 70, Edward Stebbing, 2S, 24, 

William Westwood, 80, Andrew Bacon, 28, 

WiUiam Pantrey, 85,80, John Bernard, 21, 

Andrew Warner, 84, Gregory VViuterton, 28, 

John Steele, 50, 48, Samuel Wakeman, 35, 30, 

Nathaniel Warde, 56, 60, WiUiam Gibbons, 22, 20, 

John White, 50, John Pratt, 26, 

WiUiam Wadsworth, 52, Richard Goodman, 26, 

Thomas Hosmore, 5S, 60, Nathaniel EUy, 20, 18, 

Thomas Scott, 42, WiUiam Ituscoe, 35, 32, 


James Ensigne, 24, 
John Hopkins, 26, 24, 
George Steele, 26, 
Steven Post, 30, 24, 
Thomas Judd, 2o, 20, 
Thomas Birch wood, 26, 
John Clarke, 28, 22, 
Mathew Marvill, 30, 28, 
WiUiam Butler, 28, 
Thomas Lord, 28, 
John Skinner, 22, 10, 
John Stone, removed or 

died, and left to 
John Marsh, 24, 12, 
Richard Lord, IS, 
Richard Webb, 30, 
John Maynard, 14, 
William Kellsey, 16, 
Jeramy Addams, 30, this 
includes the share of 
Sam. Greenhill, deceased, 
Robert Daye, 14, 
Thomas Spencer, 15, 14, 
Nathaniel Richards, 26, 
Richard Lyman, 30, 
Joseph Mygatt, 20, 
William Blumfield, 16. 
Richard Butter, 16, 
George Graves, 24, 
Arthur Smith, 14, 
WiUiam Hill, 20, 
Thomas Olcok, 32, 8, 
James Coale, 12, 10, 
John Arnold, 16, 

Thomas Bull, 14, 12, 
George Stocking, 20, 
William Heyden, 14, 
Nicholas Clarke, 13, 12, 
Thomas Stanton, 16, 14, 
Thomas Hales, 10, 
Zachary Field, 10, 
Thomas Roote, 8, 6, 
William Parker, 13, 12, 
Seth Grant, 14, 
William Pratt, 8, 6, 
Samuel Hales, S, 
Richard Olmsteed, 10, 8, 
John Baysey, 14. 
Joseph Easton, 10, 
Thomas Selden, 6, 
Francis Andrews, 10, 12, 
Richard Church, 20, 12, 
Wilham Hide, 20, 18, 
Richard Wrisley, 8, 
William Holton, 12, 
Robert Bartlett, 8, 
Edward Elmer, 14, 12, 
Jonathan Ince,died in Bos- 
ton, and his right settled 
by the town on 
John CuUick, 58, 30, 
John Willcox, 36, 13, 
John Higginson, 12, not a 

Clement Chapling, 20, 
Dorothy Chester, probably 
did not settle in Hartford, 
or soon removed. 

There was another large class of original settlers, 
who were not original purchasers. They had shares 
in some of the undivided lands, by votes of the original 
proprietors, according to the proportions indicated by 
the figures annexed to their names. Mr. Allyn's entry 
is as follows : 



"The names of such inhabitants as were granted 
lotts to have onely at the towne's courtesie, with libt rty 
to fetch woode and keepe swine or cowes on the 

John Branson, 10, 3, 
John Warner, 6, 
William Cornwell, 8, 
Thomas Woodford, 8, 6, 
John Bid dell, 6, 4, 
Ralph Keylor, 6, 
Thomas Lord, Jun. 6, 
John Hallaway, 6, 
Nathaniel Kellog, 6, 4, 
Thomas Barnes, 6, 
Richard Seymore, 
John Purcasse, 6, 
William Phillips, 8, 6, 
Nicholas Disbroe, 6, 
Benjamin Burre, 6, 
Hosea Goodwin, 10, 6, 
Robert Wade, 6, 4, 
John Olmsteed, 4, 3, 
Benjamin Munn, 8, 
Daniel Garwood, 6, 
John Hall, 6, 

John Morrice, 8, 6, 
Nathaniel Barding, 6, 
John Ginnings, 6, 
PaulPecke, 8, 
George Hubbard, 6, 
Thomas Blisse, 6, 
Thomas Blisse, Jun. 4, 
Edward Lay, G, 
Thomns Gridley, 6, 
John Sables, 6, 
John Pierco, 4, 3, 
Giles Smith, 8, 
Richard Watts, 8, 6, 
William Westley, 8, 6, 
Tho!n?is Richards, 8, 
Henry Walkeley, 6, 4, 
James Walkeley, 4, 
Thomas Upson, 4 
Widdoe Betts, 4, 
Thomas Bunce, 13, 
WiUiam W^atts, 4. 

In addition to the above, the following persons had 
been owners of lots previous to 1G39, and had either 
sold them, or forfeited them to the town, by not settling 
or removing, contrary to the conditions of their grant. 

Thomas Beale, 3, 
Thomns Fisher, 
John Friend, 
Thomas Goodfellow, 
Thomas Hongerfortt, 

Reynold Marvin, 
Thomas Munson, 
Abram Pratt, 
Samuel Whitehead. 

The names of subsequent settlers we shall give in 
future numbers. 



No sooner hnd the first settlers arrived in 1615, 
than they united themselves in a corporate capacity ; 
or perhaps coi-thlined the previous organization which 
they had in Massachusetts. The following are the 
first votes on record : 

"Hartford, 1635." 

" It is ordered, that whoesoever hath a lott oranted 
in this towne, and removes from the same to dwell, 
within lower years after the granting of such lotts, 
then the sayd lott or lotts is to returne unto the hands 
of the towne agayne, they paying for the worth of the 
labor done upon it : or if any person shall desire to 
sell his lott or lotts within that tyme, they shall first 
offer the same unto the towne, whoe shall either give 
the worth of the labor done upon it, or else have liberty 
to sell it to any other that the towne shall approve of, 
for the same value: and for default thereon, to return 
to the towne. 

"It is ordered, that for anny tyme hereafter, untill 
it bee rcstreyned, the towne shall have liberty to lay 
out any highwayes through any men's ground, if 
it be found needfull, provided they give the party 
resonable satisfaction. 

" It is ordered, that whoesoever doth not improve 
his house lott, by building upon it in twelve months 
after it is granted, then sayd lott to returne to the 
towne agayne. 

"Upon these three condycions, all the land that is 
given in the towne, is granted upon." 

The next order required every hoascholder to have 
a ladder or tree to reach within two feet of the top of 
the house. 

" It is ordered that there shall be a guard of 

men to attend with their arms fixed, and 2 shote of 
powder and shott at least, upon every publique meet- 
ing ibr religious use, with two seriants to oversee the 


same, and keepeoutoneof them sentenall every meet- 
ing ; and the sayd guard to be free from wardings, 
and to have seats provided near the meeting-house 
door; and the seriants to repay re to the magistrate for 
a warrant for due execution thereof." 

Town Book. No regular records of town votes, 
&c. were kept until 1()39, when the above orders 
appear to have been recorded. From that time for- 
ward, the records are regular and pretty full and 
complete. They appear to have been kept by the 
townsmen themselves, and not by the Register or the 
le2:al officer who made the entries of lands and anv other 
important matters which he was instructed to record. 
The entries on the Town Book are in a great variety 
of hand writing, more like a memorandum book than 
an authorized record. The book is much worn and 
defaced, and much of the writing obliterated, or torn 
or worn off the edges. 

The original organization of the town was purely 
democratic ; all were not only permitted but required 
to take a part in all public proceedings. The only 
limitation resulted from the fundarhental principle of 
their organization, that no one could reside among 
them who had not been admitted an inhabitant ; and 
no one could be admitted an inhabitant, except by a 
public vote of the freemen 

Town Officers. The first town officers were 
cf)nstables and townsmen. The constables were 
representatives of the executive power, and as such 
were oreatlv feared and reverenced. The townsmen 
had similar powers to those of our select-men. The 
followins: were their duties, as thev were voted at a 
general meeting, January 1, 1638, or 1G39 as we now 
reckon, they commencing their year in March. 
"January 1, 1638." 

*' It is agreed that the townsmen for the time being 
shall have the power of the whole town, to order the 
common occasions of the town, except in the cases 


1. That they receive no new inhabitant into the 
town without approbation of the body. 

2. That they make no levies except it be for charges 
expended or to be expended about guarding or order- 
ing off cattle. 

3. That the}^ neither give nor grant any lands be- 
longing to the town, except an acre or two at most, to 
any inhabitant, and that in case of present necessity. 

4. That they do not alter any highway already 
settled and laid out. 

5. Although they may, according to the liberty 
given them by the body, at a public meeting, call out 
the persons and cattle belonging to any inhabitant for 
the service of the whole, and increase the wages of 
any above the ordinary rates allowed in the town, as 
they shall see just cause, provided they exceed not 
6d.a day to any, yet they shall not require, by virtue 
of said order, the cattle of any to be employed in any 
service belonging to the whole, without the liberties of 
the town, except they undertake in the name of the 
body to return the cattle so employed in safety to the 
owfier, besides a reasonable allowance for the hire of 
the same. 

6. The townsmen shall not be longer than fourteen 
days at most, without a set and joint meeting of them 
altogether, to consider of and order the occasions of 
the town committed to them, and to agree upon a time 
or times to call the body together to consult, and con- 
clude of other cases that shall occur, not left within 
their power ; and if any of them fail to meet at the 
time appointed, he shall not refuse to pay two shiUings 
six pence for every such defliult. 

7. No one townsman shall require the service of 
any person or cattle, without the knowledge and con- 
sent of some of the rest." 

The preceding are all the votes of the town preserved 
on record previous to the fall of 1639 ; during which 
year, the government of Connecticut was constituted 
and organized, and an act passed by them, authorizing 
the towns to organize themselves in a corporate capa- 
city, and requiring them to choose registers and enter 



their lands and record important votes. From this 
time the records are regular and full. 

At the first regular meeting of the town, November 
16, 1639, John Steele was chosen register or town 
clerk, which office he held until 1651, when he removed 
to Farmina:ton. Some of the doinos at this annual 
meeting are as follows : 

" At a general meeting of the whole town, the 23d 
of December, 1639, 

" There was then chosen to order the affairs of the 
town lor one year, William Westwood, William 
Spencer, Nathaniel Ward, John Moody. There was 
also chosen constables, Nathaniel Ely, Thomas Hos- 

" It was then ordered as follows : 

1. That the said townsmen should have the same 
power that those had the year before. 

2. That they should be exempted from training, 
watchings and wardings. 

3. That they should have liberty to choose two 
men for either side of the river, who shall attend them 
in such things as they appoint about the town affairs, 
and be at a public charge." 

At a meeting in February following, 

" Arthur Smith and Thomas Woodford were then 
chosen to attend the townsmen in such things as they 
appoint, and their principal work to be as Iblloweth: 

1. To view the fences about common lield so often 
as they shall be appointed by the townsmen, and to 
have 3d. an hour for the time they spend about the 
same. And if either of ihem find any [down or 
broken,] they shall sufficiently mend up the same, and 
shall have 4d. an hour ibr all the time they spend 
about the same, to be paid by the parties whose pales 
they mend. 

2. To view the common fields so often as they 
shall be appointed by the tov/nsmen, and to have 3d. 
an hour for the same ; and if they or either of them 
take any cattle or swine in the same, then to do their 
best to bring them to the pound, either by themselves 
or any help they shall need ; and shall have 3d. an 


hour for himself and the help he shall need, and 2d. a 
head for the same, to be paid by the parties which 
own the cattle or swine : also if at any other times, 
they or either of them see or know of any beast or 
swine, in any common corn field, on this side the great, 
river, they shall do their best to pound thern, and 
shall have for their pounding a piece, also they 

shall take for the damage which the cattle or swine 
shall do, before they shall be released, or pay it them- 
selves, and shall repay the same to the parties who 
hath been [the sufferers] according to an order for that 

3. [The old record is here so mutilated and partly 
torn off, that their next duty cannot be learned.] 

4. [This duty appears to relate to giving notice of 

5. To do their best to search into the breach of any 
such order as shall be given them in charge by the 
townsmen, and to return truth of the same so near as 
they can, and to have 3d. an hour for the same. 

6. Whosoever else shall at any time bring any 
cattle or swine to the pound, they shall severally 
attend to help pound the same, and shall receive the 
pay due to the party for pounding, according to an 
order for that purpose, and for the damage which shall 
be done by them, and shall repay it to the several 
persons, and shall have 2d. a head for themselves. 

7. They shall give notice to the parties whose com 
or grass the damage is done in, that so they may have 
it prized according to an order for that purpose. 

8. They shall do any other special public service 
which is within their power to do, being required by 
the townsmen — as to warn men to public employment, 
or to gather some particular rates or the like ; and to 
have 3d. an hour for the same." 

The followino' are the orders referred to o.bove : 
" It is ordered that whatsoever damage is done in 
any man's corn or meadow by any cattle or swine, it 
shall be prized by two indifferent men, and the owner 
of the cattle or swine shall pay for the damage, and 
for the time which is spent in viewing. 


*'Itis also ordered, that whosoever finds any cattle 
or swine in any corn field, and brings them to the 
pound, shall have 2d. a head for the same ; and if the 
premium be little, by reason of the small number, 
then to be farther recompensed according to their 
desert, to be set down by the townsmen. 

"It is further ordered, that all common fences about 
corn fields, shall be sufhciently made up as shall be 
judged by two men, before the 2d of April if the flood 
do not hinder, and also set a. stake with the two first 
letters of their name on the further side from the town, 
upon the forfeiture of 2s. by the rod, 12d. a stake, and 
6d. a week, so long as it shall remain so, and pay 
double for mending the pales if they do not. 

*' It is further ordered, that whosoever breaks open 
the pound, or shall use any unlawful means to take 
his beast or swine, or shall oppose any that shall be 
driving them to the pound, shall forfeit for every such 
fault 10s. and be otherwise dealt withal as the nature 
of the offence shall require." 

Prices of Labor. The prices of labor were regu- 
lated by votes of the town. After speaking of some 
public officers, it is added : 

" Nor any day laborer above ISd. in the winter, and 
2s. in the summer, except planting time, and then not 
above 2s. 6d. a day ; and the inferior sort under : also 
for draft cattle, not above 14d. a pair a day the best, 
in winter, and ISd. in the summer, and the inferior 
sort under, to be ranked in the several sorts by the 
town : and for the cart, if four cattle or above, 6d. a 
day ; if but three, then 4d. a day ; but if but two, 
then 8d. a day. 

And the winter to be accounted from the first of 
November to the first of March, and the planting time 
from the 15th April to the 15di July. Also, all day 
laborers,which work without doors, in the winter shall 
work nine hours for one day ; and in the summer, 
eleven hours; and the draft to work eight hours from 
the fifteenth of May to the first of November, and 
six hours from the first of November to the fifteenth 
of May. 


" And whosoever takes any work by the great, 
when it is ended, if either party have cause to com- 
plain, he may make the case known to the townsmen; 
and if they judge either party to have oppressed the 
other in the work, to have it viewed by indifferent 
men, and to compel the parties to stand to the arbiter- 

" Also, no man shall take above 4s. 6d. for sawing 
of boards, and 5s. 6d. for slit work, the timber being 
squared and laid at the pit ; nor above Sd. a C. for 
riving six loot pales or clapboards, and 6d. a C. for 
three foot: nor above 7s. lor boards, and 2s. 6d. for 
three foot clapboards; and -3s. 6d. for six foot pales, 
and 4s. Gd. lor six loot clapboards : and whosoever 
gives or takes more, directly or indirectly, shall for- 
leit lor every time 5s. 

[Sawing was then done by hand. A pit was dug 
in the ground, in which one of the sawmen stood, over 
whom the timber to be sawed was placed on a frame, 
on which stood the other sawman.] 

*' Also, whosoever sells any commodity, and takes 
unreasonable fair or work in men's necessity, shall be 
liable to be fined by the townsmen, according to the 

Entertaining Strangers. "It is further or- 
dered, that whosoever entertains any person or family 
in his house which is not admitted an inhabitant in 
the town, above one month, without leave from the 
town, shall discharge the town from any cost or 
trouble that may come thereby, and be liable to be 
called in question for the same." 

Shade Trees. " It is further ordered, that whoso- 
ever hath any trees planted upon any lot which was 
given him for planting ground, and they be prejudicial 
to those w^hich lie next, he shall fall the same ; or if 
he either neglect or refuse, he who lies next may do it, 
and to be either paid in [money] the worth of the 
same work, or in work again. Jf the party be not 
able to do it presently, then the townsmen have 
power to give him some time for the [same.]" 


The following orders were passed in Jan. 1639, 

Meetings. "It is ordered that every inhabitant 
which hath not freedom from the whole to be absent, 
shall make his personal appearance at every general 
meeting of the whole town, having sufficient warn- 
ing ; and whosoever fails to appear at the time and 
place appointed, shall pay six pence for every such 
default: but if he shall have a lawful excuse, it shall 
be repaid him again : or whosoever departs away 
from the meeting before it be ended, without liberty 
from the whole, shall pay the like [tine]. 

"It is ordered that there shall be a set meeting of 
all the townsmen together, the first Thursday in every 
month, by nine of the clock in the forenoon, that so if 
any inhabitant have any business with them, he may 
repair unto them: and whosoever of them do not 
meet at the place and time set, to forfeit two shillings 
six pence for every such fault. 

"It is ordered, that hereafter no order to stand in 
force, until it hath been published at some general 
meeting, or sent from house to house. To that end, 
whensoever the townsmen shall give notice to stay 
after lecture, whosoever shall neglect so to do, shall 
be liable for the breach of any order as if he staid and 
heard the same." 

The town kept a surveyor'' s cliain for the use of the 
inhabitants, subject to the following regulation : — 

"It is ordered, that whosoever borrows the town 
chain, shall pay two pence a day for every day they 
keep the same, and pay for mending it, if it be broken 
in their use." 


The original town plot occupied nearly the same the present city. The central part was di- 
vided into house lots, called two acres each, and dis- 
tributed among the original purchasers ; and on the 
boj'ders of these were half acre house lots granted to 


Other settlers. The names and locations of the ori- 
ginal streets are given below. The present names of 
the streets are prefixed in brackets. 
[Main, north of the bridge.] "Road from the Cen- 

tinel Hill to the Palisado." 
[Front.] " Little River to North Meadow." 
[State, to Front.] " Meeting House to Little Mead- 
[KilboLirn.] " Road to the Ferry." 
Another "Road to the River," extended from Front 
street to the Connecticut river, between State 
street and Potters' lane; and another "In the 
Little Meadow," extended north and south 
from the above to Kilbourn street ; both which 
were subsequently closed. 
*'Road to the Neck," and " to the Soldiers Field," 
lay on the west side of the North Meadow 
creek, and probably extended to Windsor ; an- 
" Road to the Neck," on which Matthew Allyn's 
house lot lay, extended from the bend in the 
" present Village street, bearing a little west of 
north, obliquely to and over the hill, which has 
been entirely closed within a few years. 
[Burr.] " Centinel Hill to the Cow Pasture." 
[Trumbull.] " Centinel Hill to Seth Grant's house." 
[Pearl.] " Meeting House to the Mill." This street 
originally extended to the front of the pres- 
ent jail, then turned south to the river, and con- 
tinued northwesterly on the bank of the river to 
the mill which stood near the foot of West Pearl 
street ; thence continued nearly the same course, 
up the hill and onward in front of the Asylum to 
the Commons, and was called the 
*' Road from the Mill to the Country." [The street 
commonly called Work-house lane, was laid out 
about A. D. 17:35; and was the only new street 
laid out in the limits of the present city, from the 
settlement of the town to the close of the Revolu- 
tion and the incorporation of the city.] 
[High, north of Church street.] "Cow Pasture to 
Mr. Allen's land." 


[School and Mill.] *' Highway by the Litlle river." 

[Sheldon.] " Highway by Little river." 

[Part of Bliss, Elm, '&€.] "Mill to the South 

[Bhss.] " George Steele's to Mill." 
[Washington.] ''George Steele's to Great Swamp." 
[Buckingham, as it was, Charter, &c.] " George 

Steele's to South Meadow." 
[Charter.] " Giles Smith's to Wm. Gibbons's." 
[Main, south of bridge.] "Town" or "Bridge" 
or " Moody's to Wethersfield ;" also "Itoad to 
the Ox Pasture." 
[Cole.] " Road to Wethersfield," " to Ox Pasture," 
" Wm. Hill's to Ox Pasture," and parts of it 
were called, " Wm. Gibbons's to Thomas Judd's" 
and " Thomas Hosmer's to Country." 
[Meadow lane.] " Road to the Indians' land." 
[Oil Mill lane.] "Road from George Steele's to 
Thomas Richards's," or "John Biddell's." — 
Another east and west highway lay south of this, 
probably where Russ's lane now is ; which 
met another 
" Road from Helton's to Savell's," or " to John Bar- 
nard's land," that extended south from the riv- 
er west of the College lot, in the rear of the 
present house lots, now closed. 


The most distinguished families among the first 
settlers, were located on the east side of Cole street ; 
on the two sides of the Little river, and on Main street 
in front of the State House, and south to the river. 

^ For the convenience of future reference, I shall di- 
vide these house lots into tiers on each side of the rivers 
and number the several lots, as follows: — 

• On the North Side, the 

Vst Tier lies on the north side of Little river, and is 
numbered 1 to 4, from Front to Main street. 


2d Tier lies on the norrb side of Little river, and is 

numbered 5 to 8, west from Main street. 
'3d Tier lies on the east side of Main street, and is 

numbered 9, 10, from the 1st Tier to the original 

Meeting House yard. 
^th Tier lies on the west side of Front street, and is 

numbered 11 to 13, from Isl Tier to State street. 
^th Tier hes on the west side of Front street, and is 

numbered 14 to 21, from State to Village street. 
Qth Tier lies on the east side of Main street, and is 

numbered 22 to 28, from the original Meeting 

House lot to Villcige street. 
1th Tier lies between Main and Trumbull streets, and 

is numbered 29 to 34, from Pearl to Burr street. 
Qth Tier lies on the west side of Trumbull street, and 

is numbered 35 to 43, from Burr street to the 

^th Tier lies on the east side of Mill or Trumbull 

street, and is numbered 44 to 46, south from 

Pearl street. 
lOth Tier lies on the west side of Main street, and is 

numbered 47 to 49, south from Pearl street. 
1 \-th Tier lay on a street now closed, which extended 

from Villaoe street to tlie Neck, and io numborod 

50 to 54, North from Village street, and ^^ on the 
West side of the street. 

\2th Tier lies on the east side of Burr street; and is 
numbered 56 to 70, northerly from Village 

13t?t Tier lies on the west side of Burr street and Al- 
bany turnpike, and is numbered 71 to 76, north- 
erly from Trumbull street. 

14^A Tier lies on Tower hill, and is numbered 77 to 
80, from the Little river northward. 
On the South Side, the 

1st Tier lies east of Cole street, and is numbered 1 to 
7, from the Little river, south. 

2d Tier commences at the junction of Main and Cole 
streets, and extends north to Charter street, 
numbered 8 to 11. 

Zd Tier lies between Charter and Sheldon streets, and 
is numbered 12 to 16, from Cole to Main street. 


Ath Tier lies between Elm and old Bucldngham 

streets, and is numbered 17 to 2G from Main to 

Bliss street. 
6th Tier lies on the south side of old Backingham 

street, and is numbered 27 to 36 from Main to 

Washington street. 
6?7i Tier lies on the west side of Bliss street, and is 

numbered 37 to 41, from the south end of the 

street to the river. 
^th Tier lies north of Elm street, and is numbered 42 

to 46, East from Bliss street. 
Sth Tier lies on the west side of West street, and is 

numbered 47 to 51, south from Oil Mill lane to 

Russ's lane. 
^th Tier lies on the west side of West street, and is 

numbered 52 to 56, south from the lane. 
lOth Tier lay on a north and south street, west of Tier 

Sth, now closed, numbered 57 to 59, south from 

Oil Mill lane. 
11th Tier lay west of the above street, now closed, and 

is numbered 60 to 63, south from Oil Mill lane. 
The original proprietors of the above lots, and the 
settlers on them, are given below. The original pro- 
prietors who did not settle on their respective lots, or 
who deceased or removed from town before 1640, are 
included in brackets. 

North Side. South Side. 

1 [Richard Webb,] 1 Edward Hopkins, 

1 John Hayncs, 2 John White, 

2 Thomas Hooker, 3 Wm. Gibbons, 

3 Samuel Stone, 4 Wm. Whiting, 

4 Wm. Goodwin, 5 John Webster, 

5 Thomas Standley, 6 Thomas Welles, 

6 Thomas Lord, 7 Thomas Hosmer, 

7 Richard Lord, 8 James Cole, 

9 John Steele, 9 Thomas Judd, 

10 Clement Chaplain, 10 George Wyllys, 

11 James Olmsted, 12 Wm. Hills, 

12 Wm. Pantry, 13 Samuel Wakeman, 

13 Thomas Scott, 14 Andrew Warner, 

14 Edward Stebbins, 15 Nathaniel Ward, 



























Timothy Slandley, 
[John Stone,] 
John Marsh, 
Win. Butler, 
[John Barnard,] 
[Matthew Allen,] 
Wm. We St wood, 
[Stephen Hart,] 
Matthew Marvin, 
Richard Goodman, 
Wm. Lewis, 
John Talcott, 
Edward Elmer, 
Nathaniel Ely, 
Robert Day, 
Wm. Kelsey, 
[Edward Hopkins,] 
Thomas Olcott, 
[John Haynes,] 
31, John Pratt, 
John Maynard, 
Richard Webb, 
Dorothy Chester, 
Thomas Hale, 
Thomas Birchwood, 
John Clark, 
Wm. Parker, 
Wm. Ruscoe, 
Wm. Wads worth, 
Thomas Stanton, 
Nathaniel Richards, 
Seth Grant, 
[Samuel Whitehead,] 
Richard Lord, 
John Skinner, 
Richard Olmsted, 
Nicholas Clarke, 
Matthew Allen, 
Wm. Hay den, 
Stephen Hart, 
Thomas Spencer, 







Andrew Bacon, 
Samuel Greenhill, 
Gregory Wolterton, 
John Barnard, 
Arthur Smith, 
George Graves, 
James Ensign, 
Jeremy Adams, 
Joseph Easton, 
John Baysee, 
Richard Butler, 
John Moody, 
Wm. Hyde, 
John Arnold, 
Richard Lyman, 
Thomas Bull, 
[Even Davie,] 
Stephen Post, 
George Stocking, 
George Steele, 
Joseph Mygatt, • 
Wm. Blumfield, 
[John Friend,] 
John Wilcock, 
Wilham Andrews, 
John Hopkins, 
[Jonathan Ince, for- 
feited and granted to] 
John CuUick, 
Wilham Holton, 
Richard Rizley, 
Thomas Selden, 
Robert Bartlett, 



68 Richard Church, 62 Samuel Hale, 

59 Zacharinh Field, 65 Win. Pratt, 

60 Thomas Root, 77 Wm. Spencer, 

The following are the house lots of those first set- 
tlers, who were not the original proprietors. 

North Side. South Side. 

8 Thomas Lord, Jun., 11 Giles Smith, 
IS Thomas Woodford, 28 Thomas Gridley, 

36 Ozias Goodwin, 

45 John Bidden, 

46 Mary Betts, 

53 John Bronson, 

54 W^illiam Cornwcll, 

40 Ralph Keeler, 

48 Paul Peck, 

49 Henry Walkley, 

50 Richard Watts, 

51 WiUiam Watts, 

56 [Thos. Fisher, forfeit.]52 Wilham Westley, 

53 Edward Lay, 

54 John Olmsted, 
5C- John Pierce, 

58 Thomas Bhss, 

59 Thomas Bliss, Jun., 

60 Thomas Bunco, 

61 John Savell, 

62 Thomas Richards. 

56 .John Hallawa}^ 
61 Benjamin Munn, 

63 Benjamin Burr, 

64 John Warner, 

66 Nicholas Ginnings, 

67 John Pierce, 
67* Robert Wade, 

68 Daniel Gappad, 

69 Nicholas Disbro, 

70 Richard Seymor, 

71 John Purchas, 

72 Wilham Phillips, 
72 Nat. Kellogg, 

74 Thomas Hungerford, 

75 Thomas Barnes, 

76 Thomas Upson, 

77 [John Hall,] 

78 John Morrice, 

79 Nathaniel Barding, 

80 .John Ginnings, 

Thus it appears that on the first of Jan. 1640, 
there were nearly 150 families settled on so many 
house lots in Hartford, which must have contained 600 
or 800 people. 

The inhabitants on the North and South sides of the 
Little river, constituted, in many respects, two distinct 
communities, from the first settlement of the town. 










]^nTK. — The names of heads of families arc printed in small capitals, 
and those of their children immediately follow. The numbers at the 
left hand refer to the snccecdiug heads^ of famihes, and to the cnrres- 
pondinjr notices. The dates preceding and follovvinor the names denote 
the tini'^-s of birth and death, m. stands for married, d., died, and b., 

1 ADAMS, Jeremy, 1 Jeremy was in Cam- 

2 Ann, bridge. Mass., in 1632, 

3 John 1669, and nn original proprietor 

5 Ek'iior, and settler of Hartford. 

3 1643 Samuel. He married Rebekah, the 

6 John, widow of Sanmel Green- 

7 165S Rebekah, hill, and came into pos- 

8 60 Abigail, session of the Greenhill 

4 62 Sarah, estate, by entering into a 

9 64 Jeremy, bond to pay over a stipu- 
10 66 John, lated sum to the two mi- 
ll 63 Jonathan, nor children when of age. 
12 70 , He sold his house lot to 
Thomns Catlin, and removed to the Greenhill house, 
on the west side of Main street, next south of the 
bridge. But about 16-51, he purchased the John 
Steele lot, on the east side of Main street, about half 
way from the bridge to the State house, where he^ 
kept tavern many years. He was an active man of 
some note, and received the appointment of harbor- 
master from the General Court. He became eni- 
barrassed, and the colony came into possession of his 
house and lot; which were redeemed in 1635 by his 
grandson Zechary Santord. He died in 1633. . 

2 Ann, married Robert Sanfjrd. 

3 1 


3 John died young, and his descendants became 
scattered. Jerenij hved in Huntington, L. I. John 
lived m Great Egg Harbor, N. J., and had a son Jo- 
nas in Trenfon, in 1753. 

4 Elennr married xNathaniel Willett. 
BAYSEY, .John, an original proprietor and set- 

.tier. His house lot was No. 25, between Buckin-- 
ham now College and Elm Streets. He wa^ by 
trade a weaver. ETe died in 1371 and his wife Eliz- 
abeth in 1673. He had nos( ns ; his daughters were, 

Lydia, m. John Baker, 

Mary, m. Samuel Burr, 

Elizabeth, b. 1645, m. Paul Peck. 

John Baker had a son, and Samuel Burr a orand- 
soii,^ named Baysey, lo preserve the name. 
• Vv!'"^'l"^^f^/^' C'^EME-^^T, was elder of the church 
in Wethersheld, and probablv never resided in Hart- 
lord, though he was one of fhe original purchasers. 
He was admitled freeman in Cambridge, in 1635, 
and elected representative in Massachuseits, in 1636. 
iri 16.^7, he was a member of the Committee of the 
Colony of Connecticut, and chosen Treasurer. He 
also represented Wetliersiic4d in the General Court 
in 164o' and 1643, when he died. 
1 CHURCH, PicHARD, 1 Richard was an ori- 


2 John, 


John, 1691. 

Richard 1730, 


John 1735, 



Samuel 1719, 
1673 Ann, 
74 Elizabeth, 
76 Joseph, 
79 Dehverance, 
3 Richard, Colchester, 

13 James 1751. 
5 John, Mr. 

14 1701 John, 








gina! proprietor and set- 
tler, and lived on the east 
side of Buir Street. He 
removed to Hadley. 

2 John m.Sarah(huigh- 
ter of Richard Beckley of 
New Haven in 1657. 

3 Itichard of Colches- 
ter may have had other 

4 Sarah m. Georo-e 
Jinight, and Samuel Hub- 

^ John m. Abigail Cad- 
well in 1699. 

6 Mary m. Standish. 


1703 Caleb 1760, 
4 Abigail, 
6 Mary 1667, 

8 Joseph, 
10 Daniel. 
8 Samuel, 
20 1699 Joseph, 

13 James, East Hartford, 
25 1724 Joseph, 
172S Abigail, 
30 Jerusha. 
15 Caleb, 








8 Samuel married wd. 
Elizabeth CI. irk in 1710, 
his second wile. 

9 Ann m. Benj. Cleve- 
land, Canterbury. 

10 Elizabeth m. Jona. 

11 Jos. probably had 
no children. 

12 Deliverance lived in 

13 James from Col- 
chester owned slaves and 
an estate in Bedford, 
Mass., and had a family 
of noie. He married Ab- 
igail, daughter of Caleb 
Standley, Esq. in 1722. 

19 Daniel lived in New- 

21 Samuel lived in 

22 Ebenezer, Norwalk. 

1754 Asher, 

.^Russell 1778. 
2^ Joseph, 
33 Joseph 1777. 

23 Elizabeth m. Henry Bass, Windham. 

24 Sarah m. John Paine, Plainfield. 
26 James graduated at Yale 1756. 
28 Abigail m. Wm. Pitkin. 

33 Joseph, jun. graduated at Yale, 1768. He left 
no children. His wife Mary m. Wm. Imlay. 

1 CROW, JoHx, Mr. 

2 John 1667, 

3 Esther, 

4 1646 Sarah, 

5 49 Anna, 

6 50 Elizabethl727, 

7 (daughter,) 

8 Marv, 

9 Nathaniel 1695, 

10 Daniel 1693. 

9 Nathaniel, E. Hart, 

11 1685 Eli?, in 1710, 

1 John Crow became 
possessed, by vote of the 
town, of theoriofinal ri2:ht 
of Bartholomew Greene, 
which was forfeited by 
his removal from the town. 
This, together with the 
property of Elder Wm. 
Goodwin, whose daugh- 
ter and only child Eliza- 
beth he married, render- 
ed Mr. Crow the greatest 


12 1687 John 1714, landholder in Hartford. 

13 94 Deborah. He was one of the first 
12 John, East Hartibrd, settlers in East Hartford^ 

14 1711 Nathaniel. but afterwards removed 

14 Nathaniel, to Hadley, and died in 

15 Nathaniel. 16S5. His surviving sons 
in Hartford became extravagant and dissipated, and 
squandered the propert}^ ; but the daughters married 
some of the first men of Connecticut, and on the riv- 
er in Massachusetts, whose descendants are numer- 

2 John was a wealthy West India merchant, and 
had an establishment in Fairfield. He died at sea 
without children. 

3 Esther m. Giles Hamlin, Esq. of Middletown. 

8 Mary m. Samuel Partridge of Hntfield- 

6 Ehz. m. (I) William Warren, who died in 1689 ; 
and (2) Phineas Willson a wealthy merchant from 
Dubhn. On his death in 1691, she continued her 
husband's business, and became the most extensive 
banker in the slate. She was accustomed to loan 
money on mortgage, not only to citizens of Hartford, 
but in the adjacent towns. Her daughters married 
some of the first men in New EnMand. 

4, 5 and 7 m. Thomas Dickinson, Noah Coleman, 
and Daniel V\ hite of Hatfield. 

9 Nathaniel's widow,De]>orah, m. Andrew Warner 
of Windham, and died in 1697. 

10 Daniel left a widow but no children. 

11 Elizabeth m. Daniel Dickinson. 

12 John left a widow Hannah, and an only child. 
CULLICK, JoHiv, Capt. one of the most noted men 

in the colony, had, by vote of the town, conferred on 
him the estate assigned to Jona. Ince. He lived on 
the north side of Ehn street. He married Elizabeth, 
daughter of Hon. George Fenwick in 1648. He 
represented Hartford in the General Court from 1644 
to 47, when he was chosen assistant and secretary of 
state, which offices he filled for ten years. He was one 
of the commissioners to the united colonies from 1652 
to 54. He removed to and died in Boston in 1663, and 


Gen. John Leverett possessed his estate in Hartford. 
His children were, — 

1649 John, Graduated at Harvard Colles^e in 1663. 
52 Elizabeth m. Benj. Batten, Boston. 

DISBRO, Nk riOLAS, an original settler, lived near 
the north end oi Burr Street. He was born 1612 ; 
m» Mary Bronsoi) in 1640, and Elizabeth, widow of 
Thwaite Strickliiud after 1669. He died in 1683 and 
left four daughters, 

Daughter m. Obadlah Spencer, 

Daughter m. Samuel E2:gleston, 

1646 Phebe? m. John Kelsey, 

1649 Abigail? m. Robert Flood. 

Mr. Spencer had a son Disbro, to perpetuate the 

ELY, Nathaniel, an original proprietor and set- 
tler, was in Cambridge in 1635. His house lor, where 
the north church stands, he sold to J.)ha Talcott, 
Esq. and became one of the leaders in the settlement 
of Norwalk. He aiterwaixls lemoved to S[)ringiield. 
„ GOOD WIN, Wm, Elder, was admitted a freeman 
in Cambridge in 1632, and was a member of the first 
General Court of Massachusetts. He was at first 
one of the most prominent men in the colony of Con- 
necticut. He was very active in the originnJ pur- 
chase of Haitf)rd of the Indians; and likewise in 
the purchase of Farmington, and of the region inclu- 
ding- Hadlev and the adiacent towns. He was rulinsr 
Elder in Rev. Mr. Hooker's church ; but left it at the 
tim:^ of the dissentions in that church, and removed 
to Had ley where he was also a ruhng Elder. He 
subsequently removed to Farmington, where he lived 
in comparative obscurity and died in 1. o73, and his 
wife, Susanna, in 1676. He was a man of great 
wealth, which he gave to his daughter and only child, 

Elizabeth, married John Crow, who lived in 
East H.artt()rd. Mr. Crow was in 1659, next to Mr, 
Welles, the wealthiest man in the town. 

Mr. Goodwin's house lot in Hartford was on the 
east side of Main street, north of Little river. 







2 Robert, 

3 Hezekiah, 

4 John, 

1G43 Mary, 1702, 
1641 Josej)h, 1679, 

1645 Mabel. 
7 JosRPH, Rev. 

10 1669 John, 1713, 

11 Mabel (lied, 

12 Sarah 1697, 

13 Mary died. 
10 John, Esq. 

14 1694 Joseph 1717, 

15 97 Sarah 1724, 

16 1704 Mary, 

17 5 John died, 
iiate year until his deciih. 

1 John, Esq. was a gen- 
tleman from Essex, Eno-- 
land, where he had an 
elegant seat called Cop- 
ford HdU, worth a thou- 
sand pounds a year. He 
came into New England 
with Mr. Hooker in f632; 
and was chosen "overcor 
of Mass. in 1635. He 
appears in Connecticut in 
the fall of 1637, when he 
was chosen a member of 
the General Court, and 
also in 163S. On the or- 
ganization of the govern- 
ment in 1639, he was 
chosen governor, which 
office he held every alter- 
He was inferior in talents 

and acquirements to no settler of New England, and 
moreover a man of eminent piety. His first house 
lot was m front of the State house, but he purchased 
and built on the corner of Front and Arch streets 
He had five children by his first wife and three by hij 
second, Mabel, who in 1654 married Samuel Eaton of 
New Haven. 

2 Robert remained in England, and espoused the 
cause of the king, for which he was imprisoned, and 
died without children. 

3 Hezekiah remained in England, and espoused 
the cause ot Cromwell, and bv him was raised to the 
office of Mjijor general. On the death of his father, 
he inherited ihe family seat, which descended to his 

4 John, Rev. graduated at Harvard in 1656, re- 
turned to England, and v/as setded in the ministry in 
llemmgston, Suffolk. 

5 Roger returned to England, and died about the 
lime of his arrival. 

6 Mary m. Joseph Cook of England, according to 


Trimibull, but Mary m. Richard Lonl, Esq. and at 
his death, Dr. Thomas Hooker from Farmington, and 
died 1702 aged ^^. 

7 Joseph, Rev. grad. at Harvard in 1658, and 
succeeded Mr. Stone as pastor of the church in Hart- 
ford, which office he held until his de;ilh. He m. 
Sarah, daughter of Richard Lord, who d. in 1705. 

8 Ruth m. Samuel Wyllys, Esq. 

6 Mabel m. James Russell of Charlestown. 

10 John, Esq. graduated at Harvard in 1GS9. He 
was chosen assistant in 1708, which office he held 
until his death. He was also judge of the court. 
He left a large estate at his death. He m. Mary 
Gltn'er of Springfield in 1693, who died in 1727. 

V2 Sarah m. Re v. James Pierpont of New Haven 
in 16;)4, but died in 1697 leaving a daughter Abigail. 

14 Joseph graduated at Yale in 1714, but died 
without issue. 

16 Mary, sole survivor and heir of the Haynes 
family, m. (1) Elisha Lord in 1723, who died in 1725, 
leaving one son, John Haynes. She m (2) Roswell 
Saltonstall, Esq. who tiir a while lived on the Lord 
corner, in Hartford, but subsequently removed to 
Branford, where he died, leaving three children, 
Mary, Catharine, and Rosv/ell. Mary m. CdJ. Nathan 
Whiting of New Haven, whose son Nathan Haynes 
m. Ruth only child of Rev. Nat. Hooker, and lived 
on the Haynes farm in West Hartford . Catharine 
m. Jona. Welles, Esq. of Glastonbury. Roswell 
lived in Branford. After the death of Mr. Saltonstall, 
Mrs. Mary m. (3) Rev. Pres. Clap of Yale College, who 
died in 1767. She died in 1769, leaving a great 
estate to her children. John Haynes Lord had, be- 
sides other property, the " Haynes pasture," of 20 
acres, on the east side of Front street. Mr. Whiting 
and Mr. Saltonstall had the Haynes farm In West 
Hartford, &c. Mr. Welles had the Haynes farm in 
Farmino^ton, &c. 

INCE, Jonathan, an original proprietor, and a 
man of distinction, was drowned at sea, before his 
removal to Hartford ; and his right was granted by the 
town to John CuUick, Esq. 



1 LORD, Thomas, 

2 TliDs. in 1667, 

3 1611 Richard 1664, 

4 William, 

5 Dorothy, 

6 Robert, Capt. 

7 John, 

8 , Amy, 

9 (Daughter.) 

2 Thomas, Wethersfield, 

10 Mary, 

11 Hannah, 

12 1653 Dorothy. 

3 Richard, 

13 1636 Richard 1685, 

14 38 Sarah 1705, 

15 Dorothy. 

4 William, Say brook, 

16 WilHam, 1696, 

17 Beiijamin, 

18 James. 

13 Richard, Merchant, 

19 1669 Richard 1712. 
16 William, Haddam, 

20 1678 Mary, 

21 so' William 1736, 

22 82 Sarah, 

23 85 Jonathan, 

24 87 Nathaniel 1740, 

25 89 Hannah, 

26 93 John in 1746, 

27 96 Dorothy. 

17 Benjamin, Savbrook, 

28 Benj. 1784. 

29 Hezekiah 1763. 

30 RtCHARD. 

31 Andrew. 

19 Richard, Esq. 

32 1694 Abigail 1694, 

33 95 Riciiard 1699, 

34 98 Abigail 1698, 

I Thomas, an original 
proprietor and settler, liv- 
ed on Mill street, as did 
his sons Thomas and 
Richard. He died early, 
leaving a widow Dorothy, 
a woman of some note, 
who died in 1675. 

2 Thomas, Jun. was an 
original settler and a phy- 
sician. He removed to 
Wethersfield. His widow 
Mary m. Olmsted. 

3 Richard, an original 
proprietor and settler, was 
one of the most energetic 
and efficient men in" the 
colony. When the troop 
was formed in 1657, he 
was chosen as its com- 
mander, and signalized 
himself in the Indian wars. 
He died in New London, 
where a monument to his 
memory remains. He 
purchased the corner of 
Main and Pearl streets, 
where his descendants 
lived till within a few 
years. His wichnv Sarah 
d. in 1676. He repre- 
sented Hartford in the 
General Court from 1656 
to his death. 

4 W^illiam removed to 
Say brook, and he or his 
sons into Lyme, where 
his descendants have been 

5 Dorothy m. an Inger- 
soll who had three dauQ-h- 


35 1699Jeru5ha, 

S6 1701 Elisha 1725, 

37 3 Marv, 

38 5 Richard 1710, 

39 7 Elizabeth, 

40 9 Epaphras, 

41 12 Ichabod. 

21 William, E. Haddam, 

42 William, 

43 Mary, 

44 Hannah, 

45 Sarah, 

46 Hepsibah, 

47 Mehetabel, 

48 Susanna. 

23 Jonathan, Colchester. 

24 Nathan, E. Haddam. 
26 JoHx\, Hebron, 

49 Delight, 

50 1786 .lane, 

51 39 John. 

36 Elisha, 

52 1725 J.Haynesl796. 
38 Richard, Wethersfteld 

53 1725 Ehzabeth, died, 

54 27 Ehsha 1727, 

55 28 Ehsha 1729, 

56 29 Ruih, died, 

57 31 Richard, died, 

58 34 Mary, 

59 36 S'l. Wyllvs, d, 
69 37 George' 1765. 
40 Epaphras, Colchester, 

61 1731 Epaph. 1738, 

62 1714 Saml. Philhps, 

63 Hope, m. Jones, 
52 John Haynes, 

64 Ehsha, 

65 1747 Marv 1748, 

66 J. Haynes 1834, 

67 Richard 1766, 

ters, Dorothy m. a Phelps, 
Hannah in. Stephen Kell- 
sey, and Margaret. 

7 J(;hn m. Adrean 
Baye, and removed to 
Appomatox, Va. before 
1648. (See p. 11.) 

8 Amy m. John Gil- 
bert in 1647. 

9 m. 'I'homas Stanton. 

13 Richard m. Mary 
Haynes, was lost at sea 
in 16S5, and left an im- 
mense estate to his child 
and widow who m. Dr. 
ThoTjas Hooker in 1636. 
The inventory of his es- 
tate amounted to six thou- 
sand pounds, and with 
the exception of that of 
James Richards, Esq. it 
was the greatest of any 
man who had died in 
Hartford. He was an 
eminent man, and manv 
years represented Hart- 
ford in the General Court. 

14 Sarah m. Rev. Jos. 

16 William m. Sarali 
Sha vler, who at his death 
m. S imuel Insfram. 

17 and 18 resided in 
Say brook. William may 
have had other children. 

19 Richard m. Abigail 
d. of Wm. Warren. Her 
mother Eliz. was after- 
wards Mrs. Eliz. Wilson. 
Mrs. Lord m. Rev. Tim. 
Woodbridge, and died 













60 George, Mercliant, 

74 1761 Daniel 176:3, 

75 Dan. Edwards 


76 George 1777, 
64 John Hay.xes, 

77 John, 

78 Emilv. 

very aged in 1753. Mr. 
Lord left a greater estate 
than his father, including 
eight negroes [they were 
never called slaves.] 

21 William left a wid- 
ow Hannah. 

24 Nathaniel left a 
widow Hannah. 

26 John removed from 
Glastenbury to Hebron. 

28 Benjamin, Rev. Dr. 
graduated at Yale in 1714, 
and was pastor of the 

church in Norw^ich from 1717 to his death in 1784. 

29 Hezekiah, Rev. graduated at Yale in 1717, and 
was pastor of the church in Griswold from 1720 to 
61. He died in 1763. 

30 Richard represented Lyme in the Leoi^ature 
from 1719 to 1748, and "" 

31 Andrew represented Lyme from 1733 to 43. 

35 Jerusha m. John Whiting. 

36 Ehsha graduated at Yale in 1718, and m. Mary 
d. of John Haynes, Esq, and the only survivor of the 
Haynes family in this country. He gave the church 
a silver cup. His widow m. Roswell Saltonstall of 
Bran lord ; and Rev. Pres. Clap. 

37 Mary m. Joseph Pitkin, Esq. 

38 Richard graduated at Yale in 1724, and m. Ruth 
Wyllys in 1725. At his death, she married a Beld- 

39 Elizabeth, advanced in Hfe, m. John Curtiss, 
New Haven. 

40 Epaphras, Esq. graduated at Yale in 1729, and 
married Hope d. of Capt. George Phillips of Middle- 
town. He represented Colchester in the Legislature 
from 1743 to 5. 

41 Ichabod, graduated at Yale in 1729, and settled 
in Colchester. 

44 Hannah m. Joseph Crouch. 

46 Hepzibah m. John Shepperson. 


52 John H. grruluoted at Yale in 1745, and m. Ra- 
chel Knowles. He lived on the Lord corner, and had 
a large estate bordering on Front street and the Little 
river, and in oiher parts of the town. 

58 Mary m. Chnrles Caldwell, who on the death 
of George Lord, Jan. inherited all tlie estate both of 
her father, and of Hon. Daniel Edwards. 

60 George, a merchant m. Sarah only child of Hon. 
Daniel Edwards. Tlit^y both died and left their 
property to their only child, who was to have a colle- 
giate education. 

66 Riehard was blown up in a school house. 

71 Hellen m. Asa Allen. 

72 Elizabeth m. Joshua Hathaway, Rome, N. Y. 

73 Abigail m. D.ivid Porter. 

76 George Lord inherited immense wealth, and 
was by his friends, in consequence of his frovvord- 
ness, placed under the care of Rev. Mr. Whitman ; 
but his vices soon terminated his life, and his whole 
estate reverted to his aunt, Mary Caldwell, which was 
soon wasted by prodigality. 

*' A cop3^ of a letter from Mr. John Lord, to lils 
cousin, Mr. Rich. Lord. 

Afiaimitixe, the 20fh of Feb. 1663. 

'■'Loving Cousin., — Yours by Mr. Parker came to 
hand, wherein I understand that you are not sattislyed 
with the propositions that J made to you. If you were 
acquaint with Virginia as well as I, you w^ould not 
thinke that getting in of debts in such remote partes 
of the countrey is soe easy a matter : but to avoyde 
all futui-e trouble betwixt soe neer relations as we are, 
I shall be content to paye you (9000 lb) of tobaccoe 
the next yeare, if tobaccoe be made, or as sone as pos- 
sible may be. I should have complyed with my for- 
mer engagement the last yearo, but that tobaccoe was 
not made. Of all the time that I have knowne Vir- 
ginia, 1 never sawe the like. Cousin, I hope to see 
you here next yeare, and then doubt not but a fayre 
comply ance : but however it shall not be my faulte, if 
we doe not agree ; because I would not trouble the 
spirits of so neer relations as our mothers. And, 

12 HARTFORD. ■;.,«-/■ aaa oeo o 

014 111 869 9 

cousin, if you are not too much discouraged in Vir- 
ginia trade, pray bring or send me ten or twelve 
bushels of your best winter wlient ibr seed, (for lam 
going to be a good husbnnd, and get good bread and 
beare,) and fower oi* five bushels oi'ihe best bnreley, 
and 1 shall endeavoure to make you good and honest 

" I shall not enlarge, being in great hnsie. But my 
duty to my moiher and love to all my freinds in gen- 
erall. I have sent your moiher a small pei-cell of 
sweet-sented tobaccoe ; I would have sent more, but 
it was inconvenient for Mr. I'arker lo convay it to his 
vessell, and a small token to your sisters, but that I 
was disapo3aited, not els. 

But your loveing unckell to commrmd to mv power. 
Superscribed J hn Lord." 

" These to his loveing cousin, Mr. llichard Lord, at 
his house at Hartford, in New England, Present." 

[The word " cousin" in ancient records, means 
what we now designate by "nephew" or *' neice."] 

MARVIN : There appears to have been a family 
of brothers and sisters of this name, amons the first 
settlrrs of Hurlford : — 

1 Mathew, an original proprietor and settler, lived 
on the corner of Village and Front streets. His 
daughte?-, Lydia in 1648, and Rnchel in 1619, were 
born in Hartford. He was among the pioneers in the 
settlement of Norwalk, which he represented in the 
General Court in 1654. Mathew, probably his son, 
represented that town in 1694 and 97; Samuel in 
1718; and John in 1734 and 38. 

2 Renold, an original settler, removed to Say- 
brook before 1639, where he died in 1662, leavinsf two 
children, Reinold and Mary. Reinold represented 
Lyme in the General Court from 1670 to 1676 ; and 
he or his son, Capt. Reinold, sometimes spelled 
Reignold, represented Lyme from 1701 to 1728. 
Samuel represented Lyme in 1711 and 1722. 

3 Hannah m. Francis Barnard in 1644. 

4 Mary m. Richard Bushnellof Saybrook in 1648. 

5 Sarah m. Wm. Goodridge of Wethersfield in 



014 111 869 9 

cousin, if you are not too njuch discouraged in Vir- 
ginia trade, pray bring or send me ten or twelve 
bushels of your best winter wfieat ibr seed, (for lam 
going to be a good husband, and get good bread and 
beare,) and fower oi- live bushels of the best bareley, 
and 1 shall endeavoure to make you good and honest 

" I shall not enlarge, being in great hasle. But my 
duty to my molher and love to all my freinds in gen- 
erall. I have sent your molher a small percell of 
sweet-sented tobaccoe ; I would have sent more, but 
it was inconvenient for Mr. Parker to convay it to his 
vessell, and a small token to your sisters, but that I 
was disapoynted, not els. 

But your loveing unekell to command to mv power. 
Superscribed J hn Lord." 

" These to his loveing cousin, Mr. Richard Lord, at 
his house at Hartford, in New England, Present." 

[The word "cousin" in ancietit records, means 
what we now designate by "nephew" or " neice."] 

MARVIN : There appears to have been a family 
of brothers and sisters of this name, amons the first 
settlers of Hartford : — 

1 Mathew, an original proprietor and settler, lived 
on the corner of Vjllage and FVont streets. His 
daughter, Lydia in 1648, and Rachel in 16 i9, were 
born in Hartford. He was among the pioneers in the 
settlement of Norwalk, which he represented in the 
General Court in 1654. Mathew, probably his son, 
represented that town in 1694 and 97; Samuel in 
1718; and John in 1734 and 38. 

2 Renold, an original settler, removed to Say- 
brook before 1639, where he died in 1662, leavins: two 
children, Reinold and Mary. Reinold represented 
Lyme in the General Court from 1670 to 1676 ; and 
he or his eon, Capt. Reinold, sometimes spelled 
Reignold, represented Lyme from 1701 to 172S. 
Samuel represented Lyme in 171 1 and 1122. 

3 Hannah m. Francis Barnard in 1644. 

4 Mary m. Richard Bushnell of Saybrook in 1648. 

5 Sarah m. Wm. Goodridge of Wethersfield in