Skip to main content

Full text of "History, genealogical-biographical, of the Danielson and allied families"

See other formats





3 1833 01220 0082 

Digitized by the Internet Archive 

in 2010 with funding from 

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center 




•OT ONE of us but is "the heir of all the ages, in the foremost files 
of time." We build upon the solid foundations laid by the stren- 
uous efforts of the fathers who have gone before us. Nothing is 
more fitting, and indeed more important, than that we should 
familiarize ourselves with their work and personality; for it is 
they who have lifted us up to the lofty positions from which we 
are working out our separate careers. "Lest we forget," it is 
important that we gather up the fleeting memories of the past 
and give them permanent record in well-chosen words of biography, and in such repro- 
ductions of the long lost faces as modern science makes possible. Samuel Hart. 

For Good is not a shapely mass of stone 

Hewn by man's hand, and worked by him alone; 

It is a seed God suffers him to sow — 

Others will reap, and when the harvests grow, 

He giveth increase through all coming years, 

And lets us reap in joy, seed that was sown in tears. 




Danielson Arms — Argent, a bend sable. 


!0 understand the meaning to a man of the honor of his family 
— to know the general status in a democracy of families of old 
and honorable lineage — is to know and understand the meaning 
and brightness of the national honor. For this can never be any 
brighter than the honor of the family. This statement is nowhere 
more clearly and conclusively proved than in the Roman civil- 
ization, in which the dominant unit was the family, and in which 
the parent was given the power to slay any of his sons who brought 
disgrace to the family name. To-day the weapon which the community uses to punish 
the crime of staining family honor is public opinion. Public opinion, the moral law, love 
of country, home, and God, are what have made the aristocracy of America, not an aristocracy 
of wealth or noble blood in the ordinary interpretation of the word, but an aristocracy 
of right and of noble deeds. 

In the foremost ranks of this aristocracy in the State of Connecticut is the Danielson 
family, which holds a place of honor and respect in the community eclipsed by none. The 
Danielson family is of Scotch origin, and was established in America in the middle part 
of the seventeenth century. Since the time of its founding the family has been prominent 
and active in the service of the country, and has furnished its sons liberally in times of peace 
and war. Its members have from time to time been distinguished in military service, and 
have rendered valuable services in official life. The borough of Danielson, in the State 
of Connecticut, the home of several generations of Danielsons, was named in their honor, 
and is to-day a silent monument to them, mute evidence of the high place which they have 
always held in the hearts and minds of the community. 



SERGEANT JAMES DANIELSON, progenitor of the family in America, was 
a native of Scotland, whence he emigrated to the New World, settling on Block 
Island, now the town of New Shoreham, Rhode Island, among the earliest resi- 
dents of that place. Early land records show him to have been a man of con- 
siderable fortune. He assumed a prominent place in the town. Between the years 
1688 and 1705 he purchased several large tracts of land in Block Island, and was 
admitted a freeman of the Rhode Island Colony at the May session of the General 
Assembly in 1696. In 1700 he was elected sergeant of the town of New Shoreham. In 
September, 1696, he agreed to raise £100 to pay for making a suitable harbor. In the 
same year he served as a soldier in the expedition against Quebec under General Wolfe, 
and participated in the engagement on the Heights of Abraham against the French under 
Montcalm. In early life he served almost continuously in the wars against the Indians, 
and in reward for heroic services received a grant of land in Voluntown, in the eastern part 
of Connecticut, from the General Assembly. His purchases of land were very extensive. 
In 1706 he bought eight hundred acres of land on the Quinebaug river, in what is now the 
town of Pomfret. This included a mansion house and barn. The following year he bought 
a tract of two thousand acres of land lying between the Quinebaug and Assawauga rivers. 
He is said to have been the first settler south of Lake Mashapaug, at the southern end of 
which he built a garrison house. This new settlement afterward became the present town 
of Killingly. James Danielson became one of the most prominent and influential citizens 
of the community. He presented the town with a burying ground, located between the 
two rivers above named, and was the first to be buried in it. He died January 22, 1728. 
He was twice married. The name of his first wife was Abigail. He married (second) 
Mary Rose, who died February 23, 1752, in her eighty-sixth year. 




SAMUEL DANIELSON, son of Sergeant James and Mary (Rose) Danielson, 
was born in 1701. He inherited a large part of his father's extensive property holdings, 
including his homestead in what is now the town of Killingly. He succeeded to his father's 
place in the community, which was much like that of the English country squire. He 
became a leader in the industrial affairs of the town. Part of the vast Danielson holdings 
on the Quinebaug river became the site of a manufacturing village named Danielsonville, 
now known as Danielson. Samuel Danielson married Sarah Douglas on March 26, 1725. 
She was born in Plainfield, Connecticut, December 7, 1704, daughter of Deacon William 
(3) and Sarah (Proctor) Douglas, and died March 29, 1774. (See Douglas IV.) He died 
in 1780, at the age of eighty-five years. 



COLONEL WILLIAM DANIELSON, son of Samuel and Sarah (Douglas) Danielson, 
was born August II, 1729, in the town of Killingly, Connecticut, and resided there all 
his life, becoming very prominent in the town's affairs. He was elected constable and 
collector of taxes in 1760. In the same year he was elected lieutenant of the local militia. 
In 1774 he was commissioned major of the Eleventh Militia Regiment; and in the following 
year took one hundred and forty-six men to Cambridge from Killingly. He became colonel 
in 1776, and after the close of the Revolutionary War a general of militia. In 1788 Colonel 
William Danielson was a member of the State Convention called to ratify the National 
Constitution. He married, October 29, 1758, Sarah Williams, who was born in 1737, and 
died January 10, 1809. He died in Killingly, August 19, 1798. 


GENERAL JAMES (2) DANIELSON, son of Colonel William and Sarah 
(Williams) Danielson, was born in Killingly, Connecticut, January 18, 1761, and died 
there October 25, 1827. He married, on December 3, 1788, Sarah Lord, of Abington, 
Connecticut. She was born June 17, 1769, and died April 28, 1852. 



HEZEKIAH LORD DANIELSON, son of General James (2) and Sarah (Lord) 
Danielson, was born in Danielson, Connecticut, December 16, 1802, and resided there all 
his life. He was prominent in local affairs in the town, and was a deacon of the Congre- 
gational church. He died in 188 1. He married Laura Weaver, of Brooklyn, Connecticut. 
Their children were: 

1. Charlotte Tiffany, born in 1827; married Orville M. Capron; died 1918. 

2. Lucy Storrs, born in 1829; married John Hutchins, and resides in Danielson. 

3. Elizabeth S., born in 1831; married Charles C. Cundall; died in Seattle, Washington, 
July, 1916. 

4. John Weaver, mentioned below. 

5. Joseph, born in April, 1835, died in 1898. 

6. Edward, born in 1837, died in 1882. 

7. Daniel, born in 1842; now a resident of Danielson. 

8. Henry M., born in 1845; resides in Danielson. 


etz & ?v it-isoc sej=^. vr 


-UMTS /fjJiMS <T0 


JOHN WEAVER DANIELSON, son of Hezekiah Lord and Laura (Weaver) 
Danielson, was born in Danielson, Connecticut, March 30, 1833. He received his early 
education in the public schools, and later attended the Woodstock Academy, after leaving 
which he entered the business world as a clerk in the establishment of Edwin Ely. Shortly 
afterward he was given the position of clerk in the mill office in his native town, of which 
Amos De Forest Lockwood was agent. 

In i860 he left Connecticut, and went to Lewiston, Maine, in company with Mr. 
Lockwood, who was superintending the construction and equipment of the Androscoggin 
Mills there. Mr. Danielson remained in Maine for thirteen years. In 1873 ne resigned 
as agent and went to Providence, Rhode Island, where in partnership with Mr. Lockwood 
he engaged in business. Mr. Lockwood died in 1884, and in the same year Mr. Danielson 
was elected treasurer of the Quinebaug Company of Danielson, and the Lockwood Com- 
pany of Waterville, Maine. He rapidly became a power in the line of industry in which 
he was engaged, and a leader in several enterprises of considerable magnitude. He was 
treasurer of the Wauregan Mills at Wauregan, Connecticut; the Lewiston Bleachery and 
Dye Works at Lewiston, Maine, and the Ponemah Mills at Taftsville, Connecticut. In 
addition to his huge cotton interests in the New England States, he was also a stockholder 
in several cotton mills of the South. Mr. Danielson was a well-known figure in the financial 
world. In 1877 he became a member of the corporation of the Providence Institute for 
Savings, and in 1884 was elected a director of the same institution. He was also a director 
of the Rhode Island Hospital Trust Company, and a member of its finance committee; 
from 1887 to 1908 he served as treasurer of the Rhode Island Hospital. He was a deacon 
of the Central Congregational Church at Providence. From 1886 until the time of his 
death, Mr. Danielson was a member of the Rhode Island Historical Society. 



John Weaver Danielson married, August 24, 1858, Sarah Deming Lockwood, born May 
30, 1836, at Slatersville, Rhode Island, the daughter of Amos De Forest and Sarah Fuller 
(Deming) Lockwood. Mrs. Danielson survives her husband. (See Lockwood, Deming, 
and allied families). Their children were: 

1. Edith Lockwood, married Elisha Harris Howard, of Providence. Children: i. John Daniel- 
son Howard, who married Mildred Grandstaff, and they have one daughter, Catherine Howard. 
ii. Elisha Harris Howard, Jr. iii. Alice Lockwood Howard, married Raymond E. Ostby. 

2. Alice Weaver, the wife of Theodore P. Bogert, of Providence, Rhode Island; has adopted 
two children, Alice, who died at the age of one and one-half years, and Edith. 

3. Amos Lockwood, died October 15, 1918; married Charlotte Ives Goddard, and had one 
child, Henry L. Danielson, who died at the age of fourteen years. 

4. John De Forest, died October 16, 1909; married Pauline Root, who now resides in Boston. 

Mr. Danielson was a member of the Hope and Art Clubs of Providence, of the Ark- 
wright Club of Boston, and of the Oquossoc Angling Association of the Rangley Lakes, 
Maine. He was a man of sterling worth, and greatly respected and loved in Providence. 
The following is an excerpt from the resolution passed by the Rhode Island Historical 
Society at the time of his death: "He was conspicuous for his wide activity and success in 
business and manufacturing interests, and his devotion to the mission of the Christian 
Church. He' was wise in counsel, upright in life, public spirited as a citizen, and greatly 
honored by all who knew him." 




•HE Douglases, a Scottish noble family of ancient date, have figured 
notably in the history of Scotland and England for over six hun- 
dred years. The first member of the family to emerge with any 
distinctness from traditional history was William de Douglas, or 
Dufglas, whose name appears frequently on charters from 1175 
to 1 21 3. The surname itself is derived from the Gaelic "dubh 
glas," which means literally "dark water." The family has 
figured in the history, the literature, and poetry of Scotland and 
England from time immemorial. 

The American Douglases descend from several unrelated progenitors, of whom one of 
the earliest to settle in New England was Deacon William Douglas, founder of the Con- 
necticut family herein under consideration. 



I. DEACON WILLIAM DOUGLAS, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, was born in 
1610, without doubt in Scotland, although in what part of Scotland there is no means of 
knowing. His wife was a resident of Ringstead, England. His father, Robert Douglas, 
was born about 1588. How and where William Douglas became acquainted with his wife 
Ann Mattle or Motley, is unknown. She was the only daughter of Thomas Mattle or 
Motley, of Ringstead, where she was born in 1610; of her two brothers one died young and 
the other without issue, and she was the sole heir of her father. William Douglas came 
to New England with his wife and two children, Ann and Robert, in 1640. The common 
tradition is that they landed at Cape Ann. He settled in Gloucester, near by, but removed 
to Boston in the same year. The first mention of him in the Boston records occurs on June 
30, 1640, when he was made a freeman. He did not remain in Boston, however, but re- 
moved to Ipswich the next year, where he had a share of the public land, February 28, 1641. 
He remained at Ipswich for about four years, returning to Boston in 1645. He was a cooper 
in Boston, and on May 1, 1646, purchased of Walter Merry and Thomas Anchor a dwell- 
ing house, shop, and land. 

Later he removed to New London, Connecticut, and obtained considerable property 
through purchase and grants from the town. One of his farms he bequeathed to his son 
William and it has remained in the family for over two centuries. In 1662-63 ne was a P~ 
pointed one of the appraisers of property for the town of New London. The appraisal was 
delivered to the General Court at Hartford, but the court was not satisfied, for it fined 
Douglas and others. The town was indignant and objected to the action, and the fine was 
subsequently withdrawn. William Douglas was a member of the committee to consider 
calling a new minister. The land for the new church was purchased by him. In 1670 
he was chosen one of the deacons. He and Mr. Willerby were appointed to deliver pro- 
visions to Commissary Tracy at Norwich, during King Philip's War. He was one of the 
most prominent citizens of New London. He was a man of liberal education, eminently 
fitted for the position of leadership which he attained. He was deputy to the Connecti- 
cut General Court in 1672, and once or twice later. In May, 1670, his wife, then sixty 
years old, made a journey to Boston to establish her claim as heir to her father's property. 
She died in New London about 1685. Deacon William Douglas died in 1682. 



II. DEACON WILLIAM (2) DOUGLAS, son of Deacon William (1) and Ann (Mattle) 
Douglas, was born in Boston, Massachusetts, April 1, 1645. He came to New London 
with his parents in 1660. On March 29, 1706, he received lands in Voluntown, which he 
afterward sold to his son William. He inherited land from his father, which he gave to 
his grandson William, son of Richard, on condition that his grandson live with him and 
take care of him until death. He and his wife Abiah were received into the Congrega- 
tional church in 1670, and his three sons were afterward admitted into the church at dif- 
ferent times. After the death of his father in 1682, he was chosen deacon, an office which 
he held for upward of fifty years until his death. In the ancient burial ground in New 
London may be seen a moss-covered tablet, with the inscription: ''Here lyeth ye body of 
Deacon William Douglas, who died Mar ye 9th 1724-5, Aged 80 years." He married (first) 
Abiah Hough, daughter of Edward Hough, and granddaughter of Edward Hough, of West- 
chester, Cheshire, England. She was born September 15, 1648, and died February 21, 
171 5. He married (second) July, 1715, Widow Mary Bushnell, who survived him. 



III. DEACON WILLIAM (3) DOUGLAS, son of Deacon William (2) and Abiah 
(Hough) Douglas, was born in New London, Connecticut, February 19, 1672-73. He was 
admitted to the church, July 24, 1698. The next year he removed with his wife and two 
children to "the new plantation on the Quinebaug, which was afterward named Plain- 
field." There lands were set off for him "on the east side of the river." He also owned 
lands in Voluntown, which he purchased of his father, August 18, 1715, for £13- He was 
of the little company that covenanted together and formed a church in Plainfield 
in 1705. He was chosen first deacon. Deacon William Douglas died in the prime of life; 
his will, dated July 6, 1717, and proved September 25th following, was one of the few docu- 
ments saved when Arnold burned the town of New London in 1781. In it he provides 
for his wife Sarah, and eleven children, all the latter under twenty-one years of age. His 
wife was Sarah Proctor, but no date of marriage can be found in the New London records. 
His two eldest children were born in New London, and all the others in Plainfield. His 
widow Sarah was living in 1729. 

IV. SARAH DOUGLAS, daughter of Deacon William (3) and Sarah (Proctor) Doug- 
las, was born in Plainfield, Connecticut, December 7, 1704. She married Samuel 
Danielson, of Killingly, Connecticut, and died March 29, 1774, aged seventy years. 
(See Danielson II.) 





Lockwood Arms — Argent a fesse between three martlets sable. 
Crest — On the stump of an oak tree erased proper a martlet sable. 
Motto — Tutus in undis. 


OCKWOOD is an English surname of very ancient origin, and is 
found in the Domesday Book, which dates back a period of eight 
hundred years. It is a place name, and the family has several 
branches in England — Staffordshire, Yorkshire, County Essex, 
and Northampton. The family is a very ancient and honorable 
one, and entitled to bear arms by a royal patent. The coat of 
arms of the Lockwoods is derived from the Rev. Richard Lockwood, 
Rector of Dingley, County Northampton, in the year 1530. 

I. ROBERT LOCKWOOD, the immigrant ancestor of the family in America, was 
a native of England, and emigrated to the Colonies in the year 1630. He came first to 
Watertown, Massachusetts, where he was admitted a freeman on March 9, 1636-37. He was 
the executor of the estate of one Edmund Lockwood, supposed to have been his brother. 
About 1646 he removed from Watertown, Massachusetts, to Fairfield, Connecticut, where 
he died (intestate) in 1658. Robert Lockwood was admitted a freeman at Fairfield, Con- 
necticut, May 20, 1652. He was appointed sergeant at Fairfield, in May, 1657, and is said 
to have lived for a time in Norwalk, Connecticut. In 1650 he deeded to Rev. John Bishop 
the house and lot which, he purchased of Elias Bayley, Rev. Mr. Denton's attorney. 

He married Susan— — — , who married (second) Jeffrey Ferris, and died at Green- 
wich, Connecticut, December 23, 1660. The inventory of the estate of Robert Lockwood, 
dated September 11, 1658, amounted to £467 13s, taken by Anthony Wilson and John 
Lockwood. On May 13, 1654, Susan Lockwood, wife of Robert Lockwood, gave evidence 
in a witch case at a court held at New Haven, Connecticut, and stated that she was pres- 
ent when Goodwife Knapp was hanged for a witch. (New Haven Colonial Records.) 



II. LIEUTENANT GERSHOM LOCKWOOD, son of Robert and Susan Lockwood, 
was born in Watertown, Massachusetts, September 6, 1643, and died in Greenwich, Fair- 
field county, Connecticut, March 12, 1718-19. He removed to Greenwich with his father 
when he was nine years of age. He became one of the twenty-seven proprietors of the 
town of Greenwich, and held many positions of public trust and importance in the town. 
By trade he was a carpenter, and was the principal builder in the town. In 1694-95 
Gershom Lockwood and his son were taxed on £153 15s. He made his will November 
22, 1692, and was called at that time Gershom Lockwood, Senior. Lieutenant Gershom 
Lockwood married Lady Ann Millington, a daughter of Lord Millington, of England. She 
came to New England in search of her lover, a British army officer. Failing to find him, 
she taught school, and subsequently married Gershom Lockwood, of Greenwich, Con- 
necticut. In 1660 her parents sent her from England a large oak chest, ingeniously carved 
on the outside, and strongly built; tradition says that the case contained half a bushel of 
guineas, and many fine silk dresses. The chest has been handed down through several 
generations and at last accounts was in the home of Mr. Samuel Ferris, in Greenwich, Con- 
necticut. Lieutenant Gershom Lockwood married (second) Elizabeth, daughter of John 
and Elizabeth (Montgomery) Townsend, and the widow of Gideon Wright. 



III. ABRAHAM LOCKWOOD, son of Lieutenant Gershom and Ann (Millington) 
Lockwood, was born about 1669, in Greenwich, Connecticut, and died in June, 1747, at 
the age of seventy-seven years. He was the first of the line to remove to Rhode Island, 
and there established the family. He was a resident of Old Warwick, Rhode Island, and 
a prosperous farmer and landowner there. He married, about 1693, Sarah Westcott, born 
in 1673, daughter of Amos and Deborah (Stafford) Westcott. (See Westcott III.) 

IV. CAPTAIN AMOS LOCKWOOD, son of Abraham and Sarah (Westcott) Lock- 
wood, was born in Warwick, Rhode Island, about 1695, and died there on March 11, 1772. 
He was admitted a freeman of the Colony of Rhode Island, April 30, 1723 (Rhode Island 
Colonial Records, vol. 4, p. 327). Captain Amos Lockwood was prominent in public life 
in the colony, and held the office of deputy from Warwick, May 1, 1749. He married Sarah 
Utter, December 23, 1725. She was the daughter of William and Anne (Stone) Utter, of 
Warwick, Rhode Island, and was born August 1, 1707, died January 4, 1780. (See Utter III.) 



V. CAPTAIN BENONI LOCKWOOD, son of Captain Amos and Sarah (Utter) 
Lockwood, was born November 26, 1733, in Warwick, Rhode Island. He removed from 
Warwick to Cranston, Rhode Island, where he became a leading citizen and active in 
military affairs. He married, April 5, 1772, Phebe Waterman, born April n, 1748, died 
October 19, 1808, daughter of Resolved (2) and Sarah (Carr) Waterman. She married, 
after the death of Captain Lockwood, Moses Brown, who died in 1836. Captain Benoni 
Lockwood died in Cranston, Rhode Island, February 19, 1781, aged forty-eight. 

VI. BENONI (2) LOCKWOOD, son of Captain Benoni (1) and Phebe (Waterman) 
Lockwood, was born in Cranston, Rhode Island, April 2, 1777. During the early years 
of his life he followed the sea, ranking as captain. He later entered the profession of civil 
engineering, in which he engaged for the remaining years of his life. He died in Cranston, 
April 26, 1852. The following mention of him is found in the "History of Warwick, R. I. " 
p. 311: "Dan'l Arnold left legacies to the Shawomet Baptist Church, which has brought to 
light the existence of a few members who claimed to be the church; their names are Benoni 
Lockwood, Amelia Weaver, Lucy A. Lockwood, and Eliza T. Lockwood." Captain 
Benoni (2) Lockwood married, April 29, 1798, Phebe Greene, daughter of Rhodes and 
Phebe (Vaughan) Greene. (See Greene VII.) 


yW i mi Mt^yx n ^ i Wl WW ^ ^^ ' S Wipi*''^^?^ ^ ^ a.iy i imnp i lnwijBt. ..« i ~ J» WKiJ >iaj 



> .i»hmi> if ■ f-lrttft'THrirrfril : > „a.. Ji t^f J jt ! .^ur.,^.^..; J ~^/a^j.., f - rft ^^.^. l ^.. n .f.,!)] 

C^^t^ty^^y^^ C^C>t 


VII. AMOS DE FOREST LOCKWOOD, son of Captain Benoni (2) and Phebe 
(Greene) Lockwood, was born at Pawtuxet, Rhode Island, October 30, 181 1. His educa- 
tion was terminated in his sixteenth year, and at that age he entered the business world 
in the employ of the firm of Peck & Wilkinson, merchants and manufacturers, of the town 
of Rehoboth, ten miles from his home, and his occasional visits to his home were made on 
foot. For two years he served as clerk in the store, and for two years was a mill hand, 
acquiring a knowledge of the manufacture of cotton fabrics. Thence he became an operative 
in the employ of Almy, Brown & Slater, at Slatersville, Rhode Island. He found this work 
congenial and put all his energy into an exhaustive study of its every phase, familiarizing 
himself with all the details of the work, and making himself in a short time one of the firm's 
most valued employees. He later became superintendent of the mill before he had attained 
his majority, and three years later was made resident agent. After eight years of faithful 
service in this capacity he became one of a company formed to rent and operate the prop- 
erty, which was successfully carried forward for a period of ten years. 



Mr. Lockwood remained a resident of Slatersville twenty-one years, and his influence 
upon the community was most salutary. He had early formed religious connections under 
the care of Rev. Thomas Vernon, at Rehoboth, and his life and conduct were calculated 
to inspire noble motives in others. When the lease of the Slatersville property expired, 
Mr. Lockwood became interested in the Quinebaugh Mills of Danielson, Connecticut, and 
was one of the original proprietors of the Wauregan Mills in Plainfield, same State, which 
were begun under his supervision and managed by him for several years. After residing 
in Danielson five years he went to Lawrence, Massachusetts, in 1855, and rearranged the 
Pacific Mills of that State. Three years later, in 1858, as mechanical engineer, he took 
charge of extensive operations for Boston capitalists at Lewiston, Maine, and in other places 
in the State and Northeastern Massachusetts; he still resided in Danielson until i860. 
Under his supervision the Androscoggin Mills at Lewiston were built, equipped, and put in 
operation, and for several years he was resident agent. He resided twelve years in Lewis- 
ton, where the operations under his charge were very profitable, and he acquired a great 
variety of business interests. He was elected treasurer of Bowdoin College, and about the 
same time became a corporate member of the American Board of Commissioners for For- 
eign Missions, both of which positions he filled during his life. In the spring of 1874 a 
corporation was formed to engage in manufacturing at Waterville, Maine, and Mr. Lock- 
wood was chosen treasurer of the company, which took his name, and the Lockwood Mills, 
erected according to his plan, were operated with great success and profit. In 1873 he 
returned to Rhode Island, and continued thereafter to reside in Providence. At the time 
of his decease he was president of the Saco Water Power Machine Shop at Biddeford, Maine. 




The minutes of the directors relating to the death of Mr. Lockwood speak of him as 
"one who had been associated with them from the beginning of the enterprise, and one 
who was interested and active in its success, and whose loss cannot be measured," and 
"to the managers a personal loss which cannot be filled." The institutions, corporations, 
and associations of various kinds with which he was identified numbered nearly one 
hundred. His memorialist says: "It seems amazing that one man has done so much and 
done it so well, and yet, as one has said, 'was never in a hurry.'" Mr. Lockwood was one 
of the early presidents of the Congregational Club of Rhode Island, which passed appro- 
priate resolutions following his death, of which the following is the closing paragraph: 

Resolved, That in the death of Amos D. Lockwood we have suffered no common loss. He 
was identified with the industries of our State, with its soundest business enterprises, with its 
charitable institutions, and with its religious life. In all these departments his influence was felt 
in a marked degree, and always on the side of right. By his death we have lost a leader of in- 
dustry, who was an ornament to our community, a counselor whose advice was always wise, a 
man whose uprightness and integrity stood firm as the everlasting hills, a friend whose kindli- 
ness endeared him to all who knew him, a Christian whose daily life exemplified the faith which 
he professed. 



Mr. Lockwood lived in the times of the greatest development in the American 
industries, and he contributed no small share not only to the material development of 
the region in which he lived, but also to its moral and social uplifting. He assisted 
in planting the cotton industry in the South, where it has grown to large volume. The 
directors of the Pacelot Manufacturing Company at Spartanburg, South Carolina, 
passed proper resolutions upon his death, which follow: 

Resolved, That we have heard, with much regret, of the death of Amos D. Lockwood, for 
whom we had the highest respect and regard. 

Resolved, That in him was found a true friend not only of our company but also of the entire 
South. While his death will be a great loss to the many enterprises with which he was connected, 
the entire manufacturing interest of the South is no less a sufferer. By his works he showed great 
faith in the future of this country. Full of energy and experience he commanded our respect and 
confidence. Frank and candid, useful in every way, full of honors, a Christian gentleman, we 
saw in him a man as he should be. His life was worth living. 

A man of strong convictions, he was of most kindly nature, and to him the home circle 
was very dear. He was a child when among children; was very fond of music and gifted 
with a sweet voice, which retained its strength and purity to the last. He was never too 
busy nor too weary to listen to singing, or join in it. Particularly marked in his observance 
of the Sabbath "he could ill bear the presence in his family of any one who intruded themes 
of business on sacred time. He never would permit repairs on mills under his control on 
that day." Having been asked his opinion in regard to Sabbath work in manufacturing 
establishments, Mr. Lockwood closed his letter in reply with the following words: "My 
habit from the commencement of my business life has been to work only six days in a week, 
and to have those under me do the same; and never have I departed from this custom ex- 
cept when property has been in danger from fire or flood." Kind and charitable as he was 
in respect to the opinions and practices of others, his convictions were an abiding law to 
himself. This appears, also, in his staunch, abiding adherence to the cause of temperance. 



Mr. Lockwood was one of the early presidents of the Congregational Club of Rhode 
Island. As an expression of a sense of bereavement and an estimate of his character, at 
a meeting held February II, 1884, the following resolutions, offered by Hon. Rowland 
Hazard, were unanimously adopted: 

Whereas it has pleased Almighty God to remove from us, by sudden death, our well-beloved 
friend and associate, Amos D. Lockwood, a former President of the Club, a valued member of 
the Congregational Church, and a citizen of this Commonwealth, known and respected of all men 
for his sagacity, for his prudence, for his kindly courtesy, for his sterling integrity, and for his 
Christian character; and, 

Whereas we desire to give some expression, however inadequate, to the feelings which we 
share in common with this whole community, it is therefore 

Resolved, That in the death of Amos D. Lockwood we have suffered no common loss. He 
was identified with the industries of our State, with its soundest business institutions, and with 
its religious life. In all these departments his influence was felt in a marked degree, and always 
on the side of the right. By his death we have lost a leader of industry, who was an ornament 
to our community, a counselor whose advice was always wise, a man whose uprightness and in- 
tegrity stood firm as the everlasting hills, a friend whose kindliness endeared him to all who knew 
him, a Christian whose daily life exemplified the faith which he professed. 

Resolved, That when such a man dies it is the duty of the living to bear testimony to the 
worth of the dead. We perform this duty with no empty form of words; with true and earnest 
feeling we would say, here was a man of whom we were justly proud; here was a life rounded and 
filled with duties faithfully performed; here was an example to put to shame our own shortcom- 
ings, and to lead us upward to loftier heights of Christian living. 

Resolved, That we tender our heartfelt sympathies to the afflicted family of our deceased 
friend. Within the sacred circle of private grief we cannot intrude, but the memory of his noble 
life, the recollection of his kindly deeds, and the record of his Christian example form an heirloom 
in which we also have a part. We ask that those who were near and dear to him will permit us to 
lay our tribute of respect upon his tomb. Careful of his own reputation as a business man he 
would not speak ill of others. 

He married, May 27, 1835, Sarah Fuller Deming, of Boston, born August 24, 1812, 
daughter of Charles (2) and Mehitable (Fuller) Deming, of Needham, died May 23, 1889. 
(See Deming VI.) 




TUKELEY WESTCOTT, immigrant ancestor and founder of the 
Westcott family in America, was one of the twelve original 
grantees of the land bought by Roger Williams of the Indian 
Chiefs, Canonicus and Miantonomi. Removing from Salem, 
Massachusetts, to Providence, in 1638, he became the progenitor 
of a family which has figured actively and notably in Rhode 
Island history for over two and a half centuries. 

I. STUKELEY WESTCOTT, a native of England, where he 
was born in the year 1592, was received as an inhabitant in Salem, in the Massachusetts 
Bay Colony, in 1636. Of his parentage and his reasons for coming to the New World little 
is known. The Westcott family was one of ancient date in England, long established, and of 
honorable antiquity. The first entries of the name appear in the Hundred Rolls (1273), at 
which date there were Westcotts in counties Bucks, Somerset, and Oxford. The surname 
is of local origin, and signifies literally "of Westcott"; there are numerous parishes and 
hamlets of the name in counties Gloucester, Bucks, Berks, etc. The place name itself is 
a compound of West and cot, a hut, or small dwelling, and the meaning is obvious. 



Beyond doubt Stukeley Westcott was an Englishman of good birth and breeding. 
Shortly after settling in Salem, however, he fell into disrepute with the Puritan authori- 
ties there, and on March 12, 1638, was one of those who had license to depart the colony, 
before the session of the General Court in the following May. In October, 1638, he was 
in Providence, Rhode Island, and there with eleven others had from Roger Williams of 
the land the latter had purchased from Canonicus and Miantonomi. Soon after he had 
a lot granted him. In 1639 he was one of the twelve original members of the First Bap- 
tist Church. On July 27, 1640, he signed an agreement with thirty-eight others for a form 
of civil government. In 1648 he removed to Warwick, but still retained some of his prop- 
erty in Providence, for in 1650 he was taxed there. From 165 1 onward he took an active 
and important part in public affairs. In 1651-52-53-55-60 he held the office of commis- 
sioner. In 1652-53-54-55-56 he was surveyor of highways. In 1653 he was assistant, 
and in this year was on a committee to confer with the Indians about fencing, etc. The 
Town Council met at his house in 1654. In 1655 he was appointed to keep a place of en- 
tertainment; a sign was to be set out "at the most perspicuous place." On March 3, 1660, 
he was foreman of the Grand Inquest, his sons Amos and Jeremiah being also on the jury. 
In 1664 Stukeley W 7 estcott was authorized to keep an ordinary for the entertainment of 
strangers during the time the King's commissioners held court in Warwick. In 1671 he 
served Warwick as deputy to the General Assembly. He died on January 12, 1677. 



II. AMOS WESTCOTT, son of Stukeley Westcott, was born in 163 1, in England, 
and accompanied his father to Salem. On June 5, 1648, he was recorded an inhabitant 
of Warwick. In 1654-55-56 he was town sergeant, and also water bailie, and often jury- 
man. In 1655 he was made a freeman, and in the same year was appointed to go to each 
inhabitant for the votes for the General Court of Elections. In 1656 he was sent with two 
others to bring Pomham, the Indian sachem, before the court. In 1662 he had a lot in 
the division of the Potawomut lands, and also in the division of Toseunk lands. In 1666 
he was chosen to represent Warwick as deputy to the General Assembly, and in 1670-71- 
72 again filled the office. In 1671 he was authorized to make assessments for arrears of 
taxes due the Colony, and after this date retired from the public service because of ill health. 
He died in 1685. Amos Westcott married (first), July 13, 1667, Sarah Stafford, daughter 
of Thomas and Elizabeth Stafford; she died in 1669; and he married (second), June 9, 1670, 
Deborah Stafford, her sister, who survived him and died in 1706. 

III. SARAH WESTCOTT, daughter of Amos and Deborah (Stafford) Westcott, was 
born in Warwick, Rhode Island, in 1673. She became the wife of Abraham Lockwood, 
of Warwick. (See Lockwood III.) 




PINIONS concerning the origin of the surname Utter are merely 
conjectural. It is in all probability a derivative of the personal 
name Oughtred or Utred, which flourished in Northumberland 
and was popular as a font-name before the era of surnames. 
Another derivative is Utterson, found in Northumberland as early 
as the middle of the fourteenth century. 

The Utter family in America traces descent from Nicholas 
Utter, an Englishman of whose antecedents little is known, but 
who was evidently a man of some substance and wealth according to the standards of his 
time. He was of Westerly, and was taxed there as early as 1687. Nicholas Utter became 
the founder in Rhode Island of a family which, although not large, has played an active 
and prominent part in the affairs of the Colony and State. 



I. NICHOLAS UTTER, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, is first of record in West- 
erly, Rhode Island, in 1687, and was at different times a resident of Kings Town and Ston- 
ington. On November 6, 1687, he was taxed at Rochester (Kings Town), and on August 
28, 1709, he joined in the "Shannock Purchase," with several other residents of Kings Town. 
On April 28, 171 1, with about twenty others, he purchased two tracts of land in Westerly, one 
of two hundred and eighty-six acres and the other of one hundred and fifty-six acres. On 
July 29, 171 1, he sold his son Nicholas two hundred and eighty-six acres of land on the 
Pawcatuck river, for £200. He died at Stonington, or near there, in 1722. His will, 
dated July 5, 1722, was proved October 17th following. The executors were Peter Crandall, 
John Maxson, and John Richmond. Nicholas Utter was twice married; the name of his 
first wife is not known. He married (second) Elizabeth , a widow, who died in 1722. 

II. WILLIAM UTTER, son of Nicholas Utter, was born in 1679, and was a resident 
of Kings Town and Warwick, Rhode Island. On June 28, 1709, he was one of those who 
participated in the "Shannock Purchase." On February 26, 171 1, he bought one hundred 
acres in Warwick, for £60, of Thomas Greene. In 1716 he was made a freeman. In July, 
1722, he bought of W 7 illiam and Patience Smith, of Kings Town, twenty-five acres in War- 
wick, and in the following year removed to Warwick, where he subsequently made other 
extensive purchases of land. William Utter married, September 27, 1705, Anne Stone, 
who was born in 1682, and died in 1762, daughter of Hugh and Abigail (Busecot) Stone, 
of Warwick. (See Stone II.) He died in June, 1761. 

III. SARAH UTTER, daughter of William and Anne (Stone) Utter, was born in Kings 
Town, Rhode Island, August 1, 1707. She married, December 23, 1725, Captain Amos 
Lockwood, of Warwick. (See Lockwood IV.) 




HE surname Stone is of local origin, derived at the very outset of 
the surname period from the residence of early ancestors of the 
family near some remarkable roadside stone or rock. The Court 
Roll of the Manors of the Vovills and Piggotts in Ardleigh, 
England, contains an entry in Latin, dated in the reign of Henry 
V., 1416, "On the day of Mars next after the festival of the Holy 
Trinity," in which the names of various persons then living in the 
vicinity are mentioned, among them one designated as "Willelmatte 
Stone" (William at the stone), who is referred to as not being present at a "Court 
Baron," for which delinquency he is fined. The name was well established throughout 
England at the time of the compiling of the Hundred Rolls, 1273, and we find entries for 
the various counties at that date. 

Within the first quarter of a century following the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth 
there were no less than ten persons of the name John Stone settled in the immediate vicinity. 
Stone families, tracing from several unrelated progenitors, were established and prominent 
in several parts of New England before the middle of the seventeenth century. The Rhode 
Island family of the name was founded in the latter half of the century by Hugh Stone, a 
resident first of Warwick, whither he came under an agreement with Randall Holden, one 
of the first purchasers and original proprietors of Warwick. Hugh Stone became the founder 
of a family which, although not numerous, has figured honorably in Rhode Island life and 
affairs for over two hundred years. 



I. HUGH STONE, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, was born in England, in 1638. 
The date of his coming to the American Colonies is not known. For several years prior to 
his removal to Rhode Island he was employed by John Paine, a merchant of Boston. He 
came to Warwick under agreement with Randall Holden, in whose employ he remained 
for three years. In 1678 he was admitted a freeman of the Colony. He subsequently be- 
came the owner of property in Warwick, where he resided until his death in 1732. He mar- 
ried Abigail Busecot, who died about 1723, a daughter of Peter and Mary Busecot. 

II. ANNE STONE, daughter of Hugh and Abigail (Busecot) Stone, was born in War- 
wick, Rhode Island, in 1682. She married, September 27, 1705, William Utter, who was 
born in 1679, and died in June, 1761, son of Nicholas Utter. She died in 1762. (See Utter 




ROM the time of the founding of the Rhode Island Colony, the 
Watermans have occupied a conspicuous and honored place 
among those families whose history is inseparably bound up with 
the history of the early Colony and Commonwealth. Richard 
Waterman, one of the twelve men of substance and standing 
among whom Roger Williams divided the land which he had 
bought of Canonicus and Miantonomi, became the founder of a 
family which has never relinquished the prestige which accrued 
to it in the infancy of the Colony. The Watermans have figured notably in every phase 
of Colonial and State history for more than two and a half centuries. 



I. COLONEL RICHARD WATERMAN, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, was 
born in England about 1590, and came to the American Colonies in the fleet with Hicin- 
son in 1629, having been sent as an expert hunter by the governor and company. An erro- 
neous tradition exists that he came with Roger Williams. Settling first at Salem, Massa- 
chusetts, he became a member of the church there. In March, 1638, he was one of those 
who had license to depart the colony, and in October of the same year he was one of the 
twelve persons who had deeds from Roger Williams of the land which he had bought of the 
Indian sachems, Canonicus and Miantonomi. After a few years he joined with Randall 
Holden, Samuel Gorton, and others, in the purchase, from Miantonomi, of a large tract of 
land on the western shore of the Narragansett. Here the settlement of Shawomet was 
commenced, which was afterward known as Old Warwick. Richard Waterman did not 
remove there from Providence with his fellow purchasers, though he endured with his com- 
panions the losses and persecutions which fell upon the infant Colony through the unjust 
claims of Massachusetts to the position of the district. In 1643 a squad of Massachusetts 
soldiers arrested the leaders of the Colony, and carried them to Boston, where many of them 
were incarcerated for several months. Richard Waterman suffered the confiscation of 
some of his estate, by order of the court, in October, 1643, and was bound over to appear 
at the May term following. His companions barely escaped sentence of death, while the 
sentence pronounced against Waterman at the General Court was as follows: "Being found 
erroneous, heretical, and obstinate, it was agreed that he should be detained prisoner till 
the Quarter Court in the seventh month, unless five of the magistrates do find cause to 
send him away; which, if they do, it is ordered that he shall not return within this juris- 
diction upon pain of death." When released he took an important part in securing jus- 
tice for the Warwick settlers. The agitation was finally settled by a decision of the Eng- 
lish authorities in favor of the rightful owners who had purchased from the Indian sachems, 
and the controversy which had been urged so fiercely was forever set at rest. Waterman 
held possession of his valuable property, both in Providence and Warwick, and bequeathed 
it to his heirs, whose descendants have been numerous and influential. In 1655 he became 
a freeman of the colony. In the same year he was elected commissioner, and filled the office 
again in 1656 and 1658. In 1658 he was warden. He was a church officer, and colonel of 
the militia; a man of great force of character and distinguished ability. The name of his 
wife was Bethia, but no trace of her family has been found. Colonel Waterman died in 
October, 1673. A monument to his memory has been erected by some of his descendants, 
on the old family burying ground, at the corner of Benefit and Waterman streets, Providence. 
His wife died December 3, 1680. 



II. RESOLVED WATERMAN, son of Colonel Richard and Bethia Waterman, was 
born in New England, either at Salem or Providence in 1638. In 1667 he served as deputy 
to the General Assembly, and would undoubtedly have filled a prominent page in early 
Colonial history had not his life been terminated at the early age of thirty-two years. He 
married, in Providence, about 1659, Mercy Williams, who was born in July, 1640, and died 
in 1705, daughter of Roger and Mary Williams. She married (second) January 3, 1677, 
Samuel Winsor. Resolved Waterman died in Providence, in 1670. 

III. CAPTAIN JOHN WATERMAN, son of Resolved and Mercy (Williams) Water- 
man, was born in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1666. On February 1, 1680, he chose guar- 
dians, being sufficiently old to make the choice. He was a lifelong resident of Warwick, 
and active in official life there. In 1 706-07-08-1 1-16-1 8-20-23-24-25-26, he represented 
the town in the Rhode Island General Assembly. In 1721-22-26-27-28 he was assistant. 
John Waterman held the rank of captain in the militia. He married, in 1 691, Anne Olney, 
who was born January 13, 1669, and died in 1744, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Marsh) 
Olney, and granddaughter of Thomas Olney, founder of the family in Rhode Island, and 
one of the thirteen original proprietors of Providence. John Waterman died August 26, 
1728. The inventory of his estate, taken October 2nd following his death, amounted to 
£1,239 !4 S - 1 id., and shows him to have been a man of wealth according to the standards 
of his time. 

IV. RESOLVED (2) WATERMAN, son of Captain John and Anne (Olney) Waterman, 
was born in Warwick, Rhode Island, October 13, 1703. He was a large landowner and 
prosperous farmer there until his death, about 1752. On October 12, 1732, he married 
Sarah Carr, who was born December 28, 1708, daughter of Edward and Hannah (Stanton) 
Carr, of Jamestown, and a lineal descendant of Caleb Carr, founder of the family in Rhode 
Island. (See Carr III.) 

V. PHEBE WATERMAN, daughter of Resolved (2) and Sarah (Carr) Waterman, 
was born in Warwick, Rhode Island, April 11, 1748, and died October 19, 1808. She be- 
came the wife of Captain Benoni Lockwood, on April 5, 1772. (See Lockwood V.) 




HE surname Carr, though common in England and Ireland as well 
as in America, is distinctively Scotch in origin. The earliest 
record of the name is in the Domesday Book, compiled in the 
eleventh century. William Karre, who accompanied William the 
Conqueror into England, became the founder of the earliest 
families of Carr and Kerr, in England and Scotland. The pos- 
terity of this Norman ancestor settled in the North of England 
on the borderlands between England and Scotland; at a later date 
many went to the North of Ireland. In England the Norman-French Karre became 
Carr, just as Knut became Canute. In Scotland the surname has remained Karr, Kerr, 
and Ker. The names of four of the family appear on the Ragman's Roll, a list of the 
Scotch baronets who swore fealty to Edward I. at Berwick in 1291 and a few years later. 
They were: Andrew del Ker, of Stirlingshire; Henry Ker, of Edinburghshire; Nicholas 
Kerre, of Peebleshire, and William Ker, of Ayrshire. The Kerrs appear among the East 
Border clans in 1547; in the Middle Marches in 1587; in Berwick in 1590; in Roxburgh 
and Lauderdale in 1597. The family has been represented from time immemorial in 
Berwickshire, Roxburghshire, Edinburghshire, Wigtonshire, Ayrshire, all tracing authentic 
pedigrees from the beginning of the fourteenth century A. D. The Kerrs and Carrs pos- 
sess, or at different times have held, the Dukedom of Roxburgh; the Marquisates of 
Beumont, Cessford, Lothian, and Roxburgh; the Viscountcy of Boxmouth; the Lordships 
of Caverton, Ker, and New Battle. Many have been members of the Scotch Parliament. 
The surname signifies "stout," according to Hanna. 

The pioneers to America from Scotland, England, and Ireland during the colonizing 
period of our history were numerous. The first of the name to come to the shore of New 
England was George Carr, who with his wife Lucinda. was a passenger on the "Mayflower." 
At a later date came Caleb Carr, founder of the most notable branch of the family in 
America, a figure of note in the early affairs of the Rhode Island Colony, of which he 
was president in 1695. 



I. CALEB CARR, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, was born in London, Eng- 
land, December 9, 1616, the son of Benjamin and Martha (Hardington) Carr; he embarked 
in the ship "Elizabeth and Ann," at London, in 1635, coming to America with his older 
brother, Robert Carr, in whose family he remained until he reached his majority. At an 
early age he became active in public affairs in Newport, and in 1654-58-59-60-61-62 held 
the office of commissioner. In 1655 he was admitted a freeman of the Colony. In 1661- 
62 he served the Colony as general treasurer. On January 30, 1 671, he was allowed £4 for 
services done by him. On April 11, 1676, he was appointed one of the commissioners "to 
take care and order the several watches and wards on this island, and appoint the places." 
This year he bought the services of an Indian captive (taken by Providence men). In 1679- 
80-81-82-83-84-85-86^0-^1 he was assistant for Newport. In 1687-88 he was chosen 
justice of the General Quarter Session and Inferior Court of Common Pleas. In May, 
1695, he was elected governor to succeed Governor John Easton, who had been in office for 
the five preceding years. Up to this period, for most of the time, public service had been 
rendered gratuitously by civil officers. It was now enacted that the governor should have 
ten pounds a year, the deputy governor six pounds, and the assistants four pounds each. 
Governor Carr did not live long enough to reap much reward for the discharge of his duties 
as chief magistrate. He died in Newport, December 17, 1695, tne fourth governor who died 
while in office. He was buried in a small family burying ground on the north side of Mill 

street, between Thomas and Spring streets, Newport. Caleb Carr married (first) Mercy ; 

(second) Sarah Pinner, daughter of Jeremiah and Frances (Latham) Clarke, and widow 
of John Pinner; she was born in 1651, and died about 1706. 



II. EDWARD CARR, son of Governor Caleb and Mercy Carr, was born in Rhode 
Island, in June, 1667. In 1698 he was made a freeman, and thenceforward until his death 
took a prominent part in official life. In 1669 he was deputy to the General Assembly 
from Jamestown. He filled the office again in 1702-03-05-06-07-09 serving at the same 
time as clerk of the Assembly. From 1701 to 1707 he served as member of a committee 
appointed to audit the accounts of the colony. Edward Carr was a resident of James- 
town, and was a large landowner there. On October 6, 1686, he married Hannah Stanton, 
who was born November 7, 1670, and died in 171 2. She was the daughter of John and 
Mary (Harndel) Stanton, and granddaughter of Robert Stanton, founder of the family 
in Rhode Island. 

III. SARAH CARR, daughter of Edward and Hannah (Stanton) Carr, was born in 
Jamestown, Rhode Island, December 28, 1708. On October 12, 1732, she married Re- 
solved (2) Waterman, son of Captain John and Anne (Olney) Waterman. (See Water- 
man IV.) 






Greene Arms — Azure, three bucks trippant or. 
Crest — Out of a crown a buck's head or. 
Motto — Nee timeo nee sperno. 



'HE famous Rhode Island family known as the Warwick Greenes is 
a branch of the ancient English family of Greene of Greene's 
Norton, Northamptonshire, which flourished in that country from 
1 3 19 until the time of King Henry VIII. Sir Henry Greene, 
Knight, lord chief justice of England, was the head of this family 
in his time. His younger son, Sir Henry Greene, was beheaded 
in 1399 for his attachment to the cause of Richard II. Queen 
Catherine Parr, consort of King Henry VIII., was a member of 
this family, the daughter of Matilda Greene, who was the daughter and co-heiress of Sir 
Thomas Greene, of Greene's Norton. By the marriage of Matilda and her sister Anne, 
respectively, to Sir Thomas Parr and Baron Vaux, the Northampton estate passed into 
other families. 

A branch of this family, from which the American Greenes are descended, owned and 
occupied the estate of Bowridge Hill, in Gillingham parish, Dorsetshire, in the reign of 
Henry VIII. The ancient stone manor house is still standing. Surgeon John Greene, 
founder of the Greene family of Rhode Island, was a younger brother of the owner of Bow- 
ridge Hill, at the time of his emigration to America. The pedigree of the English Greenes, 
from the progenitor to the father of the American founder, extends over thirteen genera- 
tions, and covers a period of four centuries. 




I. LORD ALEXANDER de GREENE de BOKETON, a knight at the king's court, 
was the great-grandson of one of the Norman nobles who invaded England with William 
the Conqueror in 1066. In 1202 he received the estate of Boughton in Northampton, as 
a gift from King John. He is the earliest known ancestor of the Greene families of War- 
wick and Quidnesset in Rhode Island. Lord Alexander assumed the surname after his 
chief estate, de Greene de Boketon, and for centuries it was used in legal documents in the 
full form, signifying literally Lord of the Deer Enclosure. The name shows that Lord 
Alexander came to an estate named long before, and noted for its extensive parks and deer 
preserves. Boketon — a compound of buck — and ton, meaning enclosure — became Bucks, 
and Buckston, and later Boughton, its present name. The full name was eventually short- 
ened to de Greene, and following the reign of Henry VI., 1422-71, with its attendant French 
Wars, the family dropped the patrician "de" as savoring too highly of the French. 


II. SIR WALTER de GREENE de BOKETON, son of Sir Alexander de Greene de 
Boketon, succeeded his father to the title and estates, and was probably a crusading knight 
in the seventh crusade, which ended in 1240, as he was listed in the old rolls of the twen- 
tieth year of Henry III. (1236) and the forty-fifth era of the same king (1261). 

III. SIR JOHN de GREENE de BOKETON, son of Sir Walter de Greene de Boketon, 
accompanied King Edward III. to the Holy Land as a crusading knight and perished there, 
leaving an infant son. 

IV. SIR NOINAS de GREENE de BOKETON, only child of Sir John de Greene 
de Boketon, received the title of his ancestors in his infancy. He accompanied Edward I. 
against the Scots in 1296, and is mentioned in the records of 13 19 as then alive. He mar- 
ried Alice, daughter and co-heir of Sir Thomas Bottishane, of Brauston. 

V. SIR NOINAS (2) de GREENE de BOKETON, son of Sir Noinas (1) de Greene 
de Boketon, inherited his father's title and became the fifth Lord de Greene de Boketon. 
He was born in 1292. About 1332 he was made high sheriff of Northampton; "The office 
in those days was esteemed equal to the care of princes, a place of great trust and repu- 
tation." He married Lucie, daughter of Eudo de la Zouche and Millicent, one of the sis- 
ters and heirs of George de Canteloupe, Lord of Abergavenny. Lady Lucie de la Zouche was 
of the blood royal. 

VI. SIR HENRY de GREENE de BOKETON, son of Sir Noinas (2) de Greene de 
Boketon, was the foremost lawyer of his day in England, and was lord chief justice of the 
kingdom. He was speaker of the House of Lords in two parliaments (1363-64), and be- 
came at last the King's nearest counsel. He died in 1370, and was buried at Boughton. 
He left to his posterity one of the most considerable estates of the age. Sir Henry de Greene 
de Boketon married Katherine, daughter of Sir John Drayton, and only sister of Sir Simon 
Drayton, of Drayton. 



VII. SIR HENRY (2) de GREENE de BOKETON, son of Sir Henry (1) de Greene 
de Boketon, was made the heir of his father, despite the English law of primogeniture, by 
a special license given by the King. He was a very rich man, and the owner of many es- 
tates. He married Matilda, sole heiress of her father, Lord Thomas Mauduit, owner of 
five lordships and other possessions. Sir Henry de Greene was a man of parts, and be- 
came as prominent a statesman as his father had been. He was a member of the House 
of Commons, and one of its leaders, and subsequently was knighted and became one of the 
King's near counselors. As a favorite of the King, he received many more manors and 
estates. Sir Henry was one of a commission appointed over King Richard II., whose eccen- 
tricity amounted almost to insanity, and in this capacity counseled the King to confiscate 
the estates of the banished Henry Bolingbroke, Duke of Hereford and Lancaster. After 
the overthrow of Richard, Sir Henry was taken prisoner by Bolingbroke and beheaded 
in the market square in Bristol, September 2, 1399. Shakespeare devotes much of Acts I 
and II of his "Richard II." to Sir Henry Greene. 

VIII. THOMAS de GREENE de BOKETON, son of Sir Henry (2) de Greene de 
Boketon, was the only son of his father whose descendants remain to bear the name of 
Greene. From him came the Gillingham Greenes, and from them again the Warwick 
and Quidnesset Greenes of America. 

IX. The name of the son of Thomas de Greene de Boketon, who was the ninth of this 
line, has not been preserved. He was born about 1420, and came to manhood in the mid- 
dle of the "bloody century." This included the period of the Wars of the Roses, and but 
little authentic history of many families during this period is to be found. 

X. JOHN (2) GREENE, the next of the line, was born about 1450. According to 
Dickens, John Greene carried the message from King Richard III. to Sir Robert Bracken- 
bury, commissioning him to put to death the two princes then imprisoned in the Tower. 
Sir Robert refused to execute the command. After the death of Richard, John Greene, 
although innocent of guilt in the matter, lost no time in putting the seas between himself 
and Henry VII., the rival and successor of Richard. He returned to England, where he 
lived for a while, then fled again and died abroad. He is known in family records as "John 
the fugitive." 



XI. ROBERT GREENE, son of John (2) Greene, owned and resided on his estate 
at Bowridge Hill, in the parish of Gillingham, County Dorset (a locality noticed in the 
Ordnance Survey of England), when he was taxed on the Subsidy Rolls in the time of King 
Henry VIII. (1543), in the 1st of Edward VI. (1547), and in the 1st of Queen Elizabeth 
(1558). The name of his wife is not known. 

XII. RICHARD GREENE, son of Robert Greene, was his father's chief heir, and 
inherited the property of Bowridge Hill, as heir-at-law and residuary legatee of his brother, 
Peter Greene. He was taxed on the Subsidy Rolls of the 29th of Queen Elizabeth (1587). 
His will, dated May 10, 1606, was proved May 3, 1608. The name of his wife is not known. 

XIII. RICHARD (2) GREENE, son of Richard (1) Greene, succeeded to the estate 
of Bowridge Hill, 1608. He was appointed executor of his father's will. He married Mary, 
daughter of John Hooker (alias Vowell), who was chamberlain of the city of Exeter, Eng- 
land, September 12, 1534, and represented Exeter in Parliament; he was uncle of the cele- 
brated divine, Richard Hooker, rector of Bascombe, County Wilts, England, and prebendary of 
Salisbury. Mary (Hooker) Greene was the grandniece of Archbishop Grindal, of Canterbury. 




I. DR. JOHN GREENE, founder of the family in America, was born at Bowridge 
Hill, Gillingham Parish, County Dorset, England, about 1590. He resided at Salisbury 
for about sixteen years, following there his profession of surgeon. On April 6, 1635, ne 
was registered for embarkation at Hampton, England, with his wife and six children (one 
having probably died in England before this date) in the ship "James," William Cooper, 
master, for New England. After a voyage of fifty-eight days he arrived in Boston, Massa- 
chusetts, June 3, 1635. He first settled at Salem, Massachusetts, where he was associated 
with Roger Williams, purchasing or building a house there, but soon after Mr. Williams' 
flight from Salem (1636) he sold it and, joining Mr. Williams at Providence, received from 
him one-thirteenth share of the land which he had bought of Canonicus and Miantonomi. 
He received as his home lot No. 15 on the Main street in Providence. He was one of the 
eleven men baptized by Roger Williams, and in 1639 was one of the twelve original mem- 
bers of the First Baptist Church on this continent, organized in Providence. In 1642 he 
bought land called Occupassuatuxet of Miantonomi. In January, 1643, he was one of 
the purchasers of Warwick, and although involved in the trouble between Massachusetts 
and the Warwick settlers concerning the ownership of the property, escaped arrest and 
imprisonment. In 1644 he accompanied Samuel Gorton and Randall Holden to England 
to obtain redress for their wrongs, embarking at New York. Two years later they returned, 
successful in their mission, and landed at Boston. He was later a member of the com- 
mittee which organized the Colony of Rhode Island, under the charter obtained from 
Charles I., in 1647. Dr. John Greene was a prominent figure in the affairs of the town 
and colony, and his public career was long and active. In 1654-55-56-57, he held the 
office of commissioner. On August 8, 1647, he was appointed member of the first Town 
Council of Warwick; on February 26, 1648, he was elected commissioner. On May 7, 
1649, he was made magistrate in the Court of Trials at Warwick. 

Surgeon John Greene was the first professional medical man in Providence Plantations. 
He is alluded to in Goodwin's "Pilgrim Republic" (p. 407) as "one of the two local sur- 
geons" at Providence in 1638, though we are told "the people of Providence relied solely 
upon him for surgical aid long after his removal to Warwick in 1643." 



Dr. John Greene married (first) at St. Thomas' Church, November 4. 1619, Joanne 
Tatershall, or as was written on the church register, "Tatarsole." Nothing is definitely 
known of her English connections; the name is frequently found in early records among 
post-mortem examinations, parliamentary writs, and charters, and is variously spelled 
Tatersall, Tateshall, Tatashall, Tatershal, and Tatershall. The first of the family of whom 
record exists came to England in the train of William the Conqueror and obtained the lord- 
ship of Tatershall in Lincolnshire, where he seated himself and from which he took his sur- 
name. His descendants were seated in Berkshire and Norfolkshire and were held in high 
repute. Joanne (Tatershall) Greene died soon after the removal of the family to Rhode 
Island and is supposed to have been buried at Conimicut, Old Warwick. Dr. John Greene 
married (second) "Alisce Daniels, a widow." She died in October, 1643, and he married 

(third) in London, England, about 1644, Phillippa (always written Philip) , who 

returned with him to America, and died in Warwick, March II, 1687, aged about eighty- 
seven years. He died in January, 1659, and was buried at Conimicut. 


II. JAMES GREENE, fourth son of Dr. John and Joanne (Tatershall) Greene, was 
baptized June 21, 1626, at St. Thomas' Church, Salisbury, England, and accompanied his 
parents to America in 1635. He was made a freeman of Warwick in 1647. He resided at 
Potowomut, on the southerly side of Main street, and was town clerk in 1661. He was 
a member of the General Assembly in 1664-65-66-67-68-69-70-72-73-74-75-85-86-90. 
In 1670-71 he served as assistant and deputy under the second charter. He removed to 
Portsmouth with other inhabitants of Warwick to escape the Indians in King Philip's War, 
and resided for some years at "Hunting Swamp." In 1684 he purchased lands in War- 
wick at Potowomut, where he settled, and where his descendant, the distinguished Gen- 
eral Nathanael Greene, of the American Revolution, was born. James Greene married 
(first) about 1658, Deliverance Potter, daughter of Robert and Isabelle Potter, whose farm 
adjoined his own. She was born in 1637 and died in 1664. He married (second) on Au- 
gust 3, 1665, Elizabeth, daughter of John and Susanna Anthony, of Portsmouth. James 
Greene died April 27, 1698. 

III. PETER GREENE, son of James and Elizabeth (Anthony) Greene, was born 
at Warwick, Rhode Island, August 25, 1666. He was a life-long resident of Warwick, a 
large landowner and a prosperous farmer there until his death in 1708. He married, Feb- 
ruary 12, 1696, Elizabeth Slocum, who was born about 1678, and died June 5, 1728, daughter 
of Ebenezer S4ocum, of Jamestown, and granddaughter of Giles Slocum, of Portsmouth, 
founder of the family in America. 

IV. THOMAS GREENE, son of Peter and Elizabeth (Slocum) Greene, was born in 
Warwick, February 19, 1705. He was a resident of Warwick and East Greenwich. He 
married Sarah Berry, daughter of Joseph and Marcy Berry. 



V. STEPHEN GREENE, son of Thomas and Sarah (Berry) Greene, was born in 
1733, in Warwick, Rhode Island. He married, October 24, 1754, Mary Rhodes, born Jan- 
uary 29, 1732, died December 16, 1S27, daughter of Malachi and Deborah (Whitman) 
Rhodes, of Pawtuxet, and a lineal descendant of Zachariah Rhodes, founder of the family 
in America. Stephen Greene died October 1, 18 19. He was a prominent resident of Paw- 

VI. RHODES GREENE, son of Stephen and Mary (Rhodes) Greene, was born at 
Pawtuxet, Rhode Island, August 25, 1755, and died after a life-long residence there, on 
January 9, 1821. He was a prosperous farmer and large landowner there. On February 
7, 1780, he married Phebe Vaughan, who was born June 24, 1761, daughter of Christopher 
(3) and Wait Vaughan, of East Greenwich, and a lineal descendant of John Vaughan, of 
Newport, founder of the Rhode Island family of the name. (See Vaughan VI.) 

VII. PHEBE GREENE, daughter of Rhodes and Phebe (Vaughan) Greene, was born 
in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, January 2, 1781. She married, April 29, 1798, Cap- 
tain Benoni (2) Lockwood. (See Lockwood VI.) 




\ CHAN, a Welsh personal name of great antiquity, signifying 
literally "small in stature," was the source of the surname 
Vaughan. The first entry of the name in medieval English records 
occurs in the Hundred Rolls, 1273 — William Vachan; at this date 
the name was still in the transitional period. As early as the 
seventeenth century it had assumed its present form Vaughan. 
Vaughn is a comparatively modern Americanism. 

John Vaughan, founder of the family in America, was a resident 
of Massachusetts prior to 1634. He subsequently removed to Newport, Rhode Island, 
where he resided until his death. His descendants have resided in Rhode Island for over 
two hundred and seventy-five years. 



I. JOHN VAUGHAN, immigrant ancestor and progenitor, was a native of England. 
The date of his coming or the circumstances which attended it are not known. On May 
20, 1638, his name appears on a list of the inhabitants admitted at Newport. In 1639 he was 
granted a lot on condition that he would build on it within a year. He was to have forty- 
two acres at the place called "The Hermitage." In 1655 he became a freeman. On May 
22, 1662, he had seventy-nine and two-third acres laid out to him. In 1680 he was taxed 
£2 2s. 8d. After 1687, when he deeded to his son Daniel of Newport his farm, mansion 
house, fifty acres, orchard, etc., he disappears from the records. John Vaughan married 

II. GEORGE VAUGHAN, son of John and Gillian Vaughan, was born in Newport, 
Rhode Island, October 20, 1650, and died May 7, 1704. He lived in Newport during the 
early portion of his life, but later removed to East Greenwich, where on October 31, 1677, 
he was one of the forty-eight who received the grant of five thousand acres which com- 
prised the town. He took an active and prominent part in the affairs of East Greenwich, 
and in 1684-98-99-1704 represented the town in the Rhode Island General Assembly. 
In 1687 he was a member of the cavalry company. In 1688 he served on the grand jury. 
His will, dated April 11, 1699, and proved May 25, 1704, names his wife Margaret and 
son George as executors. On July 26, 1680, he married Margaret Spink, daughter of Rob- 
ert and Alice Spink, who died after 1704. 



III. CHRISTOPHER VAUGHAN, son of George and Margaret (Spink) Vaughan, 
was born in East Greenwich, Rhode Island, April 29, 1683, and was a lifelong resident of 
the town. In 1707 he became a freeman. His will, dated October 11, 1751, was proved 
August 29, 1752. On June 26, 1709, he married Deborah Nichols, who was born Feb- 
ruary 17, 1688, daughter of Thomas and Mercy (Reynolds) Nichols. Christopher Vaughan 
was a large landowner, prosperous and wealthy according to the standards of his time. 
The inventory of his estate amounted to £2,648 7s. 9d. He died at East Greenwich, August 
18, 1752. 

IV. CHRISTOPHER (2) VAUGHAN, son of Christopher (1) and Deborah (Nichols) 
Vaughan, was born in East Greenwich, July 6, 1710, and died there April 23, 1758. He 
inherited his father's house and homestead farm for life. He was active and prominent 
in East Greenwich affairs. He married (first) Hannah ; (second) Elizabeth . 

V. CHRISTOPHER (3) VAUGHAN, son of Christopher (2) Vaughan, was born in 
East Greenwich, Rhode Island, on April 22, 1735. He inherited the paternal estate, and 

made his home in East Greenwich until his death. He married Wait , and they 

were the parents of Phebe, mentioned below. 

VI. PHEBE VAUGHAN, daughter of Christopher (3) and Wait Vaughan, was born 
in East Greenwich, June 24, 176 1. She married, February 7, 1780, Rhodes Greene, of 
Pawtuxet. (See Greene VI.) 



:j^^4^^ r -^-M>^^ 



Deming Arms — Gules, between three bucks' heads couped at the neck argent, a crescent of 
the last for difference. 

Crest — A lion's head erased or. 



•0 positive proof of the origin of the surname Deming has ever been 
advanced. Different explanations of its source have been found, 
of which the most logical is that it is a corruption of the surname 
Damon, itself a corruption of D'Hammond, the name of "an 
ancient and illustrious family which has flourished in Surrey and 
Buckinghamshire, in England, and at Blois and Cherbourg in 
France." Careful search of English registers and records failed 
to reveal any mention of Deming, which shows that the surname 
as now spelled in this country is a distinctively American rendition of an early English 
surname. Deming, Demmon, Demon, Deman, Dement, Deminge, Demyng, and numerous 
other variations appear in New England Colonial records. The Demings in America trace 
from several progenitors, between whom no relationship has been discovered. John 
Deming, founder of the family herein under consideration, is of record in Wethersfield, 
Connecticut, in 1641. Other founders were Thomas Deman, of Hartford; Thomas 
Demond, of Fairfield; and John Demmon, of Killingsworth, Connecticut. The family 
has figured honorably in the history of several parts of New England, and the name is 
an honored one in this section of the country. 



I, JOHN DEMING, immigrant ancestor, was a native of England. The exact date 
of his coming to America is not known. Some authorities advance the belief that he was 
one of the pioneer settlers of Wethersfield, Connecticut, when the colony was founded in 
1635. Proof exists, however, that he was there in 1641, when he recorded his homestead 
as a house, a barn, and five acres of land, bounded by High street, west, the Great Meadow, 
east, Thomas Standish's homestead, north, and Richard Crabbe's homestead, south. John 
Deming became a man of much prominence in the community, and on March 2, 1642, was 
one of the jury of the "particular court." On December 1, 1645, he was among the depu- 
ties chosen to represent Wethersfield, as Jo. Demon. In 1656 he again filled the office, and 
his name this time is entered as John Dement. In the same year he was appointed one 
of a committee, "to give the best safe advice they can to the Indians." On May 21, 1657, 
he was a deputy to the General Court as John Deming, and the next year as John Dement. 
He was deputy at different courts until 1667, and was also a litigant in several lawsuits. 
He is one of those named in the famous charter granted by King Charles to the original 
founders and to those who should afterward become associated with them in the lands of 
Connecticut, "in free and common socage." He was among the first to obtain a lot across 
the river from Wethersfield, and within the boundaries of the town, on the "Naubuc Farms," 
afterward incorporated into the town of Glastonbury. He obtained it in the year 1640, 
when he appears in the records as John Demion. It is highly probable that he never lived 
there, for he had a house in Wethersfield in 1641, and sold the land on the east side of the 
river to Samuel Wyllis before 1668. John Deming also owned land in Eastbury, for which 
he was taxed in 1673. He became a freeman in 1669, with John Deming, Jr., and Jona- 
than Deming. He bought much land in Wethersfield at different times, and disposed of 
it largely by deed to his sons before his death. On February 3, 1692, he signed a codicil 
to his will, and this is the last recorded act of his life. He died soon afterward, though 
his will was not proved until November 21, 1705. There is no record of the dates of birth 
of his children, whose names have been taken from his will. His home lot with everything 
on it he bequeathed to his son Samuel. To his son David he left all the materials and tools 
in his shop. To other children he left money and movable property. He appointed his 
son Samuel executor. His will shows that John Deming was a man of considerable prop- 
erty and that he also had a trade. David Deming, who received his father's tools, was a 
rope maker, but it does not necessarily follow that the father pursued the same trade. Eu- 
nice and Sarah Standish, mentioned in his will as cousins, were the daughters of Thomas 
Standish, whose land adjoined Deming's. The connection of this family with that of Cap- 
tain Miles Standish has not been found. 



John Deming was undoubtedly a prominent figure in the affairs of the Connecticut 
Colony. Trumbull speaks of him as one of "the fathers of Connecticut," and Hinman 
says that "he held the office of constable in Wethersfield in 1654," which shows that he 
possessed the full confidence of the governor. His name appears on the records of the col- 
ony with the prefix Mr., a courtesy paid only to men of considerable prominence. It is 
said that he was a representative at fifty sessions of the General Court. John Deming 
married Honor Treat, daughter of Richard Treat. • 

II. JONATHAN DEMING, son of John and Honor (Treat) Deming, was born about 
1639, in Wethersfield, Connecticut, and there died after a lifelong residence in the town, 
on January 8, 1700, aged about sixty-one years. He was a prosperous farmer, and respected 
member of the community. Jonathan Deming married (first) November 21, 1660, Sarah 
Graves, daughter of George Graves, who died June 5, 1668, in Wethersfield. He married 
(second) December 25, 1673, in Wethersfield, Elizabeth Gilbert, daughter of Josiah and 
Elizabeth Gilbert, born March 28, 1654, and died September 8, 1714. 

III. CHARLES DEMING, son of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Gilbert) Deming, was 
born in Wethersfield, on January (or June) 10, 168 1. Captain Charles Deming was a ship- 
master, or "mariner," as he is called in the early records. His home was in Needham, 
near Boston, and he left a valuable estate. His will, dated February 1, 1740, names his 
children, with the exception of Elizabeth, who had perhaps died before that time. Cap- 
tain Deming married (first) September 5, 1706, in Wethersfield, Anna Wickham, daughter 
of Thomas and Mary Wickham; she was born January 2, 1684, and died in June, 171 1, in 
Wethersfield. He married (second) November 5, 1713, in Boston, Massachusetts, Sarah 

IV. JONATHAN (2) DEMING, son of Charles and Sarah (Meers) Deming, was 
born in Boston, Massachusetts, January 27, 1723, and died there May 26, 1791. He mar- 
ried, November 1, 1770, Esther Edes, who was born June 18, 1739, died August 30, 1792, 
daughter of Hon. Peter and Esther (Hall) Edes. (See Edes IX.) 




V. CHARLES (2) DEMING, son of Jonathan (2) and Esther (Edes) Deming, was 
born March 6, 1774, in Needham, Massachusetts. In early life he was a resident of Need- 
ham, later removing to Brighton, Massachusetts, where he conducted "The Bull's Head 
Tavern." In middle life he removed to Marlboro, New Hampshire, and at a later date 
to Fitzwilliam. He became a leader in the Masonic order in Fitzwilliam, and was one of 
the foremost citizens of the town in his day. He died in Needham, Massachusetts, De- 
cember 27, 18 17. 

On July 24, 1792, he married in Needham, Massachusetts, Mehitable Fuller, who was 
born June 5, 1777, and died September 5, 1867, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth (Newell) 
Fuller. Their children were: 

1. Jonathan Edes, born November n, 1793, died November 7, 1815, unmarried. 

2. Esther, born June 29, 1795, married Charles Dana, and died April 25, 1879. 

3. Charles, born August 21, 1796, died August 27, 1796. 

4. Anne, born February 17, 1798, married, January 31, 1830, Samuel Foss Barker, of Lubec, 
Maine, and died November 21, 1876. 

5. Charles, born June 13, 1799, married Elizabeth Sawyer, and died May 8, 1857. 

6. Mary, born December 18, 1800, married, November 19, 1826, John Gardiner Faxon, and 
died June II, 1883: 

7. Elizabeth Fuller, born May 23, 1802, died September 15, 1831, unmarried. 

8. William, born February 21, 1804. 

9. Isaac, born September 2, 1805. 

10. Adeline, born April 14, 1808, died August 30, 1809. 

11. Adeline Townsend, born July 5, 1810, married, September 8, 1824, Cyrus Balkam, and 
died March 8, 1883. 

12. Sarah Fuller, mentioned below. 

13. Francis, born April 20, 1814, married Elizabeth Noble, and died March 5, 1858, in Naples, 
Italy, leaving one daughter, Elizabeth Deming, who married Stephen Fuller, of Charlestown, 

VI. SARAH FULLER DEMING, daughter of Charles (2) and Mehitable (Fuller) 
Deming, was born in Needham, Massachusetts, August 24, 1812. She married, on May 
2 7> l8 35» Amos De Forest Lockwood. (See Lockwood VII, in "Americana," April, 1919.) 




HE surname Edes is of baptismal origin, signifying literally "Ede's 
son." Although the feminine font-name Ede is now obsolete, it 
has made a most remarkable impression on the directories of 
English speaking peoples. Until the seventeenth century it 
lingered in England as a personal name. Every imaginable 
variant of the surname is found. Beyond doubt the name occa- 
sionally had its source in a nickname of Edward or Edmund, but 
the first derivation must be looked upon as absolutely decisive 
in the case of the great majority. 

Edes families have flourished in England for six centuries. The American family of 
the name is a branch of an ancient English family of County Essex. John Edes, the immi- 
grant ancestor and progenitor, was a lineal descendant of Henry Edes, Gentleman, a large 
landowner of Bocking, County Essex. The family in America, though small, has figured 
honorably in the history of several towns of Massachusetts. 



I. HENRY EDES, of Booking, County Essex, England, must be regarded as the 
English progenitor, since it is not possible to trace beyond him accurately. 

II. HENRY (2) EDES, son of Henry (1) Edes, was the administrator of his father's 
estate. He was the grandfather of Rev. John Edes, mentioned below. 

IV. REV. JOHN EDES, great-grandson of Henry (1) Edes, was graduated at St. 
John's College, Cambridge, in 1610, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In 1614 he took 
his master's degree. For forty-one years he was rector of the church at Lawford, where 
he died April 12, 1658. A monument to his memory was erected by the town. 

V. JOHN (2) EDES, son of Rev. John (1) Edes, was the father of the American emi- 
grant. He was a resident of Lawford. 

VI. JOHN (3) EDES, son of John (2) Edes, was born in Lawford, County Essex, Eng- 
land, March 31, 1651. He came to America before 1674, when he married Mary Tufts, 
daughter of Peter Tufts; she was born June 15, 1655, and was the mother of John, men- 
tioned below. John Edes served in the Indian Wars of 1675. He was a resident of Cam- 
bridge, Massachusetts. 

VII. JOHN (4) EDES, son of John (3) and Mary (Tufts) Edes, was baptized at Cam- 
bridge, Massachusetts, June 26, 1680, and died of smallpox, January 16, 1721. He was a 
resident of Cambridge, and married there, April 13, 1698, Grace Lawrence, daughter of 
George and Elizabeth Lawrence, who was admitted to the Cambridge church, July 20, 
1718, and died August 9, 1758. Grace (Lawrence) Edes was born June 3, 1680. Her 
father, George Lawrence, was born about 1637, and settled in Watertown, Massachusetts, 
where he died March 21, 1709. He married (first) September 29, 1657, Elizabeth Crispe, 
daughter of Benjamin Crispe, founder of the family in America, who was born in 161 1, 
and came to America in 1629; he was one of the original proprietors of Watertown, Massa- 
chusetts; Elizabeth (Crispe) Edes died May 28, 1681, and George Lawrence married (sec- 
ond) August 16, 1691, Elizabeth Holland. 



VIII. PETER EDES, son of John (4) and Grace (Lawrence) Edes, was born Sep- 
tember 15, 1705, probably in Charlestown, Massachusetts, and lived there and in Cam- 
bridge, where he followed the occupation of hatter. On December 18, 1729, he married 
Esther Hall, who was born December 27, 1700, daughter of Stephen and Grace (Willis) 
Hall. Stephen Hall was the son of Widow Mary Hall, who came to this country with her 
two sons; he lived at Concord, Stowe, and Medford, Massachusetts, and later at "Queens- 
bucke," Connecticut. Stephen Hall, Sr., married on December 3, 1663, Ruth Davis, 
daughter of Dolor and Margery (Willard) Davis; her father was in Cambridge in 1634, 
and was one of the signers of the petition for the setting apart of the town of Groton in 
1656. He had previously resided at Barnstable, where he died in 1673. He married Mar- 
jory, sister of Major Simon Willard. Their eldest child became the wife of Stephen Hall, 
Sr., and mother of Stephen Hall, Jr., who was born in 1667, died November 7, 1749. He 
married (first) about 1692, Grace Willis, daughter of Thomas and Grace (Fay) Willis, who 
was admitted to the church at Watertown, February 8, 1713, and died of smallpox, No- 
vember 19, 1721. Their daughter, Esther Hall, became the wife of Peter Edes. Peter 
Edes was a prominent figure in the affairs of Massachusetts prior to the American Revo- 
lution, and was a member of the committee of correspondence at Harvard in 1773. Esther 
(Hall) Edes died June 14, 1756, and he married (second) November 26, 1761, Anna Haskell. 
He died at Harvard, January 25, 1787. 

IX. ESTHER EDES, daughter of Peter and Esther (Hall) Edes, was born June 18, 
1739. On November 1, 1770, she married Jonathan Deming. (See Deming IV.) 




HE American Fullers spring from several unrelated progenitors. 
Samuel Fuller, with his brother, Edward Fuller, was a passenger 
on the "Mayflower," and among the pioneer settlers of Plymouth. 
Matthew Fuller, their brother, followed at a later date. Still later 
came others of the name, among them Thomas Fuller, of Ded- 
ham, founder of the family herein under consideration, and 
Thomas Fuller, of Woburn. All of these early founders were 
Englishmen of substance, and a large proportion of them took 
active and prominent parts in the early affairs of the towns in which they settled. 

The surname Fuller is of the occupative class, and of very ancient date. It signifies 
literally "the fuller," i. e., the cloth-bleacher or felter, and appears in medieval English 
records first with the prefix le, which later fell into disuse. Various persons named Fuller 
have won distinction in England and in America. Nicholas Fuller, born in 1557, was a 
distinguished Oriental scholar; another Nicholas Fuller, a noted lawyer and member of 
Parliament, died in 1620; Isaac Fuller, noted painter, died in 1672; Andrew Fuller, born 
in 1754, was an eminent Baptist minister and writer; Thomas Fuller, English divine and 
author, born in 160S, was chaplain extraordinary to Charles II., and a prolific writer. 
It was said of him: "Fuller was incomparably the most sensible, the least prejudiced great 
man of an age that boasted a galaxy of great men." Sarah Margaret Fuller, marchioness 
of Ossobi, born in 1S10, was a prominent American teacher, editor, and author. Melville 
W. Fuller, born in 1S55, distinguished as a jurist, served as chief justice of the United States. 



I. THOMAS FULLER, immigrant ancestor and founder of the Needham family of 
the name, was born in England, but the exact date of his coming to America is not known. 
He was a resident of Dedham at an early date, and evidently was a man of considerable 
prominence in the early settlement. He represented Dedham in the Massachusetts Gen- 
eral Court in 1673, 1679 and 1686, and died September 28, 1690. Thomas Fuller mar- 
ried Hannah Flower, who was born in England. Among their children was John, men- 
tioned below. 

II. JOHN FULLER, son of Thomas and Hannah (Flower) Fuller, was born December 
28, 1645, and died October 10, 1718. He owned lands in what is now Needham, at Purch 
Plain and Purch Meadow. On January 18, 1672, he married Joanna Gay, who was born 
April 23, 1649, in Dedham, daughter of John and Joanna Gay, who came to America about 
1630, settling first at Watertown; John Gay was later one of the founders of Dedham. 

III. ROBERT FULLER, son of John and Joanna (Gay) Fuller, was born in Dedham, 
Massachusetts, August 11, 1685. He inherited lands in Needham from his father, and 
lived on what is now Forest street. In 1735 he built a new house on Forest street, which 
was the home of his grandson, Moses, and was among the oldest houses in the town. Robert 

Fuller married (first) Mary , who died March 7, 1719. He married (second) July 

6, 1721, Sarah Mills. • - 

IV. LIEUTENANT ROBERT (2) FULLER, son of Robert (1) and Mary Fuller, 
was born in Needham, Massachusetts, June 6, 1714. He was a life-long resident of the 
town, prominent in local affairs, and active in the militia, in which he held the rank of 
lieutenant. He married Sarah Eaton, who was born August 24, 1713, and died July 10, 
1797, daughter of William and Mary (Starr) Eaton. Lieutenant Robert Fuller died in 
Needham, May 12, 1788. 



V. MOSES FULLER, son of Lieutenant Robert (2) and Sarah (Eaton) Fuller, was 
born April 29, 1750, in Needham, Massachusetts, and lived there all his life in the house 
built by his grandfather, Captain Robert Fuller, in 1735. He was a well known citizen 
of Needham, active in public affairs in the town. 

On April 14, 1774, he married Elizabeth Newell, who was born February 22, 1754, 
daughter of Ebenezer and Elizabeth Newell. She died on November 29, 1834, in Weston, 
Massachusetts, aged eighty years. Their children were: 

1. Elizabeth, born 1775, died 1788. 

2. Mehitable, mentioned below. 

3. Elizabeth, born July 13, 1779. 

4. Moses, born March 21, 1785. 

5. Mary, born March 25, 1788. 

6. Hervey, born October 16, 1790. 

7. Stephen Palmer, born February 10, 1794. 

8. Louisa, born June 25, 1798. 

Moses Fuller died in Needham, February 13, 1823, aged seventy-two years. 

VI. MEHITABLE FULLER, daughter of Moses and Elizabeth (Newell) Fuller, was 
born June 5, 1777, at Needham, Massachusetts. On July 24, 1792, she married Charles 
Deming, of Needham, and died September 5, 1867. They were the parents of Sarah Fuller 
Deming, who became the wife of Amos De Forest Lockwood. (See Deming V and VI.)