(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "A history of the towns of Haddam and East-Haddam"

974.602 

Hllf 

1889124 



REYNOLDS HISTORICAL 
GENEALOGY COLLECTION 



ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY 



3 1833 01148 7490 









HISTORY, 



c olryyvt 






TOWNS 



,?* 



v • j 



H ADD AM and EAST-HADDAM, 



i'Y DA VIP l)J)mm t A>iB 

- »^9r-i. - *«iTOR OP f HE CHUUC'I IN II ADD AM. 



#J 



'V 



' 


MIDDLETOWN: 

PBIHTKP BY tOO MIS AND RICHARDS 


'V 


1J514. 



\ ~ 



1883124 



from its mouth, or perhaps from tlie bar. TI1C6C lands were owned 
aud inhabited by Indians, excepting Twenty -miles-island, now Lord'3 
island, and some lands on the adjacent banks of the river eastward, 
to which Capt. John Cullick had acquired a title. This title was 
afterwards alienated to the grandfather of Col. Jabez Chapman. 

The Indians were numerous. A largo tribe inhabited Eaat- 
Haddara, which they called Machemoodus, or the place of noises, 
from the noises or earthquakes which had been heard there, and 
which have continued to the present time. These were of a fierce 
and wretched character, remarkable for pawaws and the worship of 
evil spirits. The noisea from the earth regarded as the voice of 
their god, confirmed them in their monstrous notions of religion. An 
old Indian being asked the reason of the noises, said, " The Indian's 
god was very angry, because the Englishmen's God came here." 
As the lands above mentioned were purchased of four Indian kings, 
Sachusquatevemapid, Keawaytahue, Turramuggus and Nabahuett, 
and two Indian queens, Sepuunemo-pampcossame aud Towkishe, 
other tribes doubtless inhabited other parts of them. 

The purchase was made May 20, 1002, by Matthew Allyn, aud 
Samuel Willys for thirty coats. For these, not exceediug probably 
100 dollars in value, a deed was given of all the lands from Matta- 
beseck mill river, which is supposed to be the rise of the stream at I tad- 
dam Quarter called Miller's brook, or Summer's creek, and from 
the Straits on the east side of Connecticut river, which in a lax sence 
may be considered as reaching down as far as where the dividing 
line between Chatham and Iladdam is now run; to the lower end of 
Pattaquoiink meadow at the crooks, which is the cove meadow in 
Chester at a large bend in the river eastward from it ; extending 
six miles easterly and westerly from the river. These lauds 
were deeded to Matthew Allyn and Samuel Wyllys, their heirs 
and assigns forever, excepting Capt. Cullick's land already sold^ 
Thiriy-miles-islaod aud 40 acres at Paltaquounk, which the 
Indians reserved for themselves; together with a right to hunt and 
fish where they pleased, provided they did not wrong or abuse the 
English. 

The purchase thus made was taken up by twenty-eight per- 
sons, who moved here cither iu 1062, or very soon after, viz. Nich- 



oliis Ackley, Joseph Arnold, Joho Bailey, James Bates, Daniel 
Brainerd, Thomas Brooks, Samuel Butler, William Clarke, Daniel 
Cone, William Corbee, Abram Dibble, Samuel Gaues, George 
Galea, Johu Hanuison, Richard Jones, Stephen Luxford, Johu Pa- 
rents, Richard Piper, Thomas Sliayler, Simon Smith, Thomas Smith, 
Gerrard Speueer, John Spencer, Joseph Staqoardj William Ventres, 
James Wells, John Webb, and John Wiat. These were generally 
young men, who married about the time of the settlement. Several 
are known to have come immediately from Hartford, and probably 
most were from that place or its vicinity. They settled on 
the west side of the river, the greater part in the town meadow, 
from the easternmost point of Walkley hill down to the town grave 
yard, where, at the rise of the ground on the west side of the mead- 
ow, several of their cellars Pre still visible. Others spread them- 
selves on the plain below Mill creek, and were called the Lower 
Plantation. 

John Bates, Richard Walkley and some others, soon united with 
the first settlers, and iu October 1063, the people were invested 
with town privileges, and the place was called Haddam, probably 
from Haddam, or Hadham in England. Previously to this time, 
about tweuty towns were formed in the whole of Connecticut ; I 
say in the whole of Connecticut, because .New-Haven Colony unit- 
ed with Connecticut three years belore this, according to the char- 
ter obtained from Charles II. in 1UU2. 

Soon after the settlement of Haddam, a controversy arose between 
the inhabitants and the people of Saybrook and Lyme (for the latter 
town was settled before the controversy was issued) respecting the 
dividing line between them. Saybrook originally extended back 
eight miles from the sea or sound, and Lyme six. To them a grant 
wac made of a strip of land, four miles in width on the north, which 
the deed from the Indians, held by the people of Haddam, covered. 
Much dissatisfaction existed respecting it. Saybrook proposed that 
the contested land should be divided equally, one half to Haddam, 
and the other to themselves and Lyme. Iu 1(309, the Legislature 
ordered that such a division should be made. Since that time no 
very material alteration has taken place in the bounds of Haddam 
on the west side of the river, excepting that the tract of land at tin 



HISTORY, &c. 



PERSECUTED for their religious tenets in their own 
.country, the Puritans at length sought an asylum in the American 
wilderness. In the year 1020, a part of the church and congrega- 
tion under the venerable John Robinson arrived at Plymouth, and 
began the settlement of the old colouy of that name. In 1629, a 
company arrived under Mr. John Endicott aud settled Salem and 
Charleslown. The year following several other towns were settled 
in Massachusetts. In 1635 aud 6 people removed from Dorchester, 
Waiertown, and Newtoun in Massachusetts, and planted themselves 
in Wethersfield, Hartford, and Windsor on Connecticut river ; which 
places then included the present towns of Glastenbnry, East -Hartford, 
and East-Windsor. The Inhabitants of these towns soon agreed uporj 
a constitution of civil government for themselves, and such as should 
be afterwards joined to them. This w as the beginning of the govern- 
ment of Connecticut. About the time of the settlement of the above 
towns, a fort was erected at Saybrook under Gov. John Winthrop, and 
a settlement begun there. This town originally included Killingworth 
and most of the town of Lyme, and was a distinct government from 
Connecticut until 1 644. Seven years after this, a few families settled 
at Mattabescclc, and in lti£3 the place was incorporated by the Gen- 
eral Court of Connecticut, aud called Middlctown. This town then 
included Chatham. 

The lands betweeu Middle town and Saybrook, were called 
laods at Thirty-miles-island, from the island north of the centre of 
the tract in Connecticut river, winch was thought to be thirty mile? 



uortliwest comer called Haddam Quarter, was annexed to Durham 
ia Oct. 1773 : but on the east side of the river instead of the line'p 
being run on the north six miles easterly from the river, it is run 
eight miles from Salmon river, and 6 1-4 from the river on 
the south, increasing the limits of the original purchase con- 
siderably more than the extent of Haddam JNeck. The mean 
length of Haddam is about 7 miles, and of East Haddam 8 3-4. Had- 
dam Neck is 4 miles across on the north, and runs 4 miles south 
■where it terminates in a point between Connecticut and Salmon 
livers. 

About the year IG85, a settlement was begun in Easl-Haddam at 
the Creek row. Thither all the Gates removed, most of the Cones, 
and some of the Bates's aud Brainerds. The Ackleys settled a lit- 
tle further east, and some of the Spencers in the edge of Had- 
lyme. The first settler in Millingtoii was Jonathan Beebe, about 
1704. He settled near the north-east corner, by the Long Pond, a 
pond of upwards two miles in length, and half a mile in breadth, the 
source of Eight-mile river, which empties itself into Connecticut 
river in Lyme. A few persons soon united with him who have no 
descendants in East Haddam. The first settlers on the east side of 
the river were s?on joined by the ancestors of the Booges, Fullers, 
Percivals, Holmes's Chapmsns, Willeys, die. but excepting at the 
Long Pond, none settled in Millington till about 1732, 3 aud 4, 
* hen its numbers increased rapidly. With the early settlers in 
Haddam were united the Dickinsons, Hubbards Tylers, Burrs, 
Kuowles's, fliggins's, &c. 

All the inhabitants on both sides the river, were one society until 
1700, when the people living on the east side of the river, and south 
and east of Salmon river, were permitted to act as a society by them- 
selves. In 1 70 1, the s-ocieties did town business separately, and 
distinct recoids were kept of their proceedings. But apprehensions 
arising that this mode of doing business was illegal, and other diffi- 
culties prevailing among the people, the town adopted in 1710 new 
articles of agreement, in which it was provided that the societies might 
manage all civil affairs by themselves, elect one representative each 
to the general assembly, &c. To these articles the sanction of the 
Legislature was obtained. According to them the people appear to 



have acted until May 1734, when the town was divided agreeably 
to the division of the societies j and to the west society, the name o! 
Haddam was continued, while to the east, the name of East-Had- 
dam was given. At first the towns respectively were allowed to 
send but one deputy to the assembly at public cost, but by au acl 
passed about 176G, they were allowed to send two. 

The original township of Haddam, and of course the towns into 
which it was divided lay within the county of Hartford, and the 
inhabitants repaired thither in civil suits. At the formation of 
Middlesex County in May ] 785, both towns were included in the 
new county, and as Haddam was the central town it was fixed upon 
saa half-shire, while Mid die town being a place of considerable busi- 
ness and population was selected as the other half shire. In both 
these towns, court houses and goals were subsequently erected. 
The court house in Haddam is 44 feet loug and 23 broad, 
and two stories high, but indifferently built. The goals have both, 
been condemned, and for two years past there has been no goal in 
the county. , 

The Indians who reserved to themselves Thirty miles-island, and 
40 acres at Pattaquounk, with the right of hunting and fishing 
where they pleased; remained in the town for many years 
and Mere troublesome to the English. For 40 or 45 yean 
from the settlement, the people were accustomed to carry arms with 
(hem to the place of public worship, that they might be able to de- 
fend themselves in case of a sudden attack. In I704,a time of general 
alarm in the 6tate, guards were kept in three houses in East-Had- 
datn. No account however is transmitted to us of their having 
done any serious mischief to the first settlers or their immediate; 
descendants. In 1734, Haddam voted they would attempt to pur- 
chase Thirty-miles island for the benefit of the town, but no pur- 
chase was made. Within the remembrance of persons now iivmjr, 
several Indians dwelt upou it, but they arc now extinct. 

Those noises in EastHaddam which caught the attention of the 
natives were not disregarded by the first settlers and their assopiates, 
nor have they been disregarded by later generations. Seventy or 
eighty years ago, in consequence of their greater frequency and 
violence, they gained the attention of the neighbouring towns, and 



became the subject of inquiry and discussion among the learned and 
inquisitive throughout the slate. They have often been perceived 
in a small circle, producing a slight motion iu the earth and in the 
river, and have been called Moodus' uoiscs, but when they have 
extended 30 or 40 miles they have been denominated earthquakes. 
The earthquakes felt in Connecticut for more than forty years, 
have been observed to be more violent in East-Haddam, than in 
any other place. The most violent of all was on the 18th of May, 
1791, which so agitated the earth as to untop many chimnies, and 
excite consternation iu every family. There were many shock:., 
some of which were noticed at New- York, Boston, and North- 
hampton. The next day. apertures and fissures were found in 
the northeast part of East-Haddam first society, -which ascertain- 
ed the spot where the explosion took place. Since that time 
the noises have been less frequent and violent : but as the 
mineral substances producing them, remain iu the bowels of thf- 
earth, they may be expected iu future. 

The lands in the pres'eut township of Iladdam taken together 
cannot be considered as good. Nigh Connecticut river there arc 
some good lands, easy of cultivation, and producing valuable 
crops of rye, corn and grass. The lands back, excepting in the in- 
tervals on Higganum middle and south branches, and on Beaver' 
brook, are hard and gravelly, and in most cases too rough and hilly 
for ploughing. The rough lauds however, bear a heavy growth of 
wood, of the various kinds common iu this part of the country ; and 
where they are cleared yield considerable pasture. East-Haddam 
is a good grazing township, less hilly and rocky than Haddam, though 
of a soil rather hard, especially in Millington. Very little wheat 
has been raised in either town for many years, nor are rye and corn 
raised to any great extent. The price of good land for plowing 
and mowing in Haddam, near the river, is from one to two hundred 
and fifty dollars per acre. Other lands bear a proportionable price 
according to their goodness and proximity to market. The price of 
land in Haddam, has doubled within twenty years. Land is not so 
high in East-Haddam, nor has it had such a rapid rise. 

For 80 years after the settlement began here, the inhabitants were 
employed almost wholly iu husbandry. Their farms furnished them 



with most of the necessaries of life, and money for the purchase of 
others, and for the payment of taxes, was obtained by fattening cat- 
tle for the Boston market. 

In 1743 a dwelling house was erected at East-Haddam Landing, 
and a market opened there for produce ; from which time other 
branches of business began to be introduced. The Landing at 
Iligganum was begun not long after. 

For GO or 70 years the towns have been moderately concerned iu 
the West-India trade ; to a greater extent in the coasting trade. 
There arc now belonging to lladdam, one ship, three brigs, three 
sloops and five schooners, amounting to 1597 tons: to East-Had* 
dam, one ship, two brigs and one sloop, amounting to C05 tons. 

Fishing must have been pursued in a degree from the settlement 
as the inhabitants wished for fish for their own use ; but there was 
scarcely any call for them from abroad, till within 50 or GO years. 
Connecticut river and the streams emptying in it, originally abound- 
ed with Salmon, shad, and various kinds of smaller fish. The Sal- 
mon were so common in tlie river dividing East Haddam from llad- 
dam Neck, that it was called Salmon river from that circumstance. 
This fish has scarcely been fouud in the river for several years. Its 
failure has been commonly ascribed to the Locks on the river iu 
Massachusetts and the numerous saw-mills on the streams empty- 
ing into it; but it is very questionable whether it is owing wholly 
or principally to this cause, as it is found in other streams where 
similar obstructions exist. The shad are the only fish which render 
fishing an important business, though small fish remain in the river. 
These used to be considered as hardly eatable, but they have grad- 
ually risen into estimation, and are now a fashionable dish, and com- 
mand a ready and profitable market. There arc 10 or 17 places in 
lladdam where they are caught to considerable extent, and 6 in East- 
Haddam, including Lord's Island. In the former town there were 
taken the last season as near as I have beeu able to ascertain 130, 
000 ; and in the latter 32,000. The season was much less favora- 
ble than usual, and 200,000 may be fairly estimated as an average 
quantity for Haddam, and 50,000 for East-Haddam. The largest 
draught of which I have heard in these towns was taken at the Peer 



10 

in 1802, containing 2300 or nearly. At the next draught between 
180O and 1900 were taken. 

Ship -building has been regularly carried on at Higganum Land- 
ing for bill a century, and occasionally at other places on the river, 
particular!) at Last lladdam Landing aid Chapman's ferry. This 
business has furnished employment to many hands, and a call to 
farmers for materials for building. It is to be lamented however 
thai the practice of giving ardent spirits daily to workmen, which 
has prcmincntly prevailed in this business, has led some to intem- 
perance and ruin. The practice has no necessary connection with 
the employment, and it is hoped that the time is not far distant when 
this liquid poison will be excluded from shipyards, and all other 
places, and nutricious, and wholesome drinks substituted in its 
stead. 

Much wood is exported from these towns annually, the 
greater part to New-York. From Higganum Lauding, which is 
the greatest wood market, 2000 cords were carried in 1807. Hick- 
ory for several years has been sold from /) to (i dollars per cord, 
and oak from 3 to 4 dollars. 

The stone quarries in Iladdnm bid fair to be a permanent and 
extensive source of wealth. The quarry on lladdam JNeck began 
to be improved In 1702, and was improved more and more until the 
commencement of the present war, or rather of the restrictive system. 
The principal openings are from 50 to 70 rods from the river, on a 
hill of considerable height, from which the descent is difficult. The 
quarry on the west side of the river below lladdam street was 
opened about the ) ear 1704. It is 00 or 100 rods from the river, 
and on a hill less high and steep than that on the east side. The 
stone in both lie in the same direction, which has lead some to an 
opinion that the quarries extend under die bed of the river. They 
are usually a little below the surface, and of an iron grey colour, 
and the seams run perpendicular. Long slabs are split off, and then 
split or hrokon into any smaller tdze which is wished. They are ve- 
ry' excellent for building, curbing ami paving. The stone in both 
quarries, and in various other places in the hills where the princi- 
pal openings have been made, are immense. Some years, GO or 90 



n 

Lands have bccu employed in them. The stone have been carried to 
various parts of this state and Rhode-Island, to Boston, New-York, 
Albany, and Baltimore, and application has been made for them as 
far south as Petersburgh in Virginia. They are sold by the foot, 
for curbing of 4 inches thickness from 17 to 21 cents, for paving 2 
inches thick from 10 to 14 cents. 

The numerous Mater-falls in Haddam and East-IIaddam, together 
with the circumstances of the towns lying upon a navigable river, 
and of the spirit lately excited in the country, render it probable 
that at uo far distant period they will become manufacturing towns. 
The establishment at Lord's Mills is begun with very favorable 
prospects. This is on Salmon river nearly 4 miles from its en- 
trance into Connecticut river through the Cove. The dam is 7 feet 
high, and gives a head of water of ! 2 feet, which is equal in the driest 
season to two grist-mill powers. The water is takeii from the dam 
in one place, and is conveyed to a cotion factory, an oil and bark 
mill, a woollen factory, clothier's works, and to a saw-mill which 
carries eight saws, and 'saws a length of 70 feet. Au oil mill has 
stood here fifty years. The cotton factory is not completed. The 
woollen factory has just begun its operations, and consumes wool at 
the rate of 10.000/. yearly, which the clothier's works will be 
more than sufficient to full and. dress. To this establishment belong 
5 spinning machines. The tide flows up to the mills, and thus far 
the river is navigable for scows which can come up in Gluices trader 
the mills.— -The stand at Usher's Mills in Haddam is favorable for 
a large manufacturing establishment. Thin is situated 1-4 of a mile 
west from Higganum Lauding, on Iligganum river, just below the 
junction of its three branches, and fifty rods distant from its entrance 
into Connecticut river. In 25 rods there is a fall of water of 31 
feet, which might be considerably increased by raising the dam. In 
this distance, all the water may be used three times over, in the last 
instance in which the fall would be the greatest, there would be a 
sufficiency of water to carry two run of stones the year round. To 
this spot or very nearly the 'river admits boats. At this stand there 
are now only a clothier's works, and carding machine. The cloth- 
oi's works full and dress 4,500 yards of woollen cloth annually, and 



J>2 

dress 1000 yards of women's wear. The carding machine, cards 
3000 lbs of wool annually. With these is connected one spinning 
machine. Iliggamim middle and south branches, and Beaver brook, 
also Pine-brook in Middle Haddam, furnish a number of mill seats, 
which arc partly or wholly unimproved. Moodus river, Eight-mile 
river, and Bog. meadow brook in East-Had dam have several mill seats. 
The two first pass over falls. The second rises in the Round Pond 
(which covers an area of 1000 acres) in the uortli east part of East- 
Haddam, 1st Society. About two miles from the pond is the fall, 
where the water is precipitated down the rocks with great violence 
70 feet, producing a noise sometimes heard several miles. About 
these falls the Moodus' noises have been most violent. 

Besides the manufactures above mentioned, there are in Haddam 
the following manufactures, mills, &c. viz. 1 clothier's works, 2 card- 
ing machines, 5 grist mills, 9 saw mills, 7 tanneries, 1 gin distille- 
ry, 2 cider distilleries, 1 brick yard, and 1 machine for welding 
gun barrels. The gin distillery is calculated to consume 30 bush- 
els of rye and corn, and make 90 gallons of liquor in 24 hours. It 
lias hitherto failed of consuming so rruch as it has not been wrought 
through the night, and the liquor has hardly equalled this proportion. 
The brick yard is 1-2 mile above Higganum Lauding. The brick 
are burnt on a wharf extended into the river, so near to which ves- 
sels and boats may come as to load from it. The clay is taken from 
the bank and appears to be abundant. The brick are considered to 
be of a'superior quality. The machinery for welding gun barrels, is 
connected with the gun factory at New-Haven. In East-Haddam 
there are 3 clothier's works, 2 carding machines, 1 spinning 
machine, C grist-mills, 19 saw-mills, 13 tanneries, 3 cider distilleries 
and 1 nail factory. In the former town there are 7 merchants' stores 
and ti taverns; in the latter 10 stores and 2 taverns. 

The listol Haddam in 1718 was L.3,007-14-8, in 1813, 3 7,. r >30 dol- 
lars and cents; for Haddam Society 32,107 73, and for Haddam 
Neck 6,422 33. The list of East Haddam in 1718 was £.4,2^6-4-0, 
in 1813, 59.974 dollars 14 cents, for East-Haddam society 25,953, 
11, for Millingtou 20,347 71 aud for Hadlj me 7,G73 32. The 



13 

expenses of supporting the pooriu Haddam last year were 320 dol- 
lars, aDd iu Eabt Haddam 032 dollars. 

In these towns there are lour Terries across Connecticut river, two 
between the towns, and two between Haddam and Haddam Neck. 
Chapman's ferry is much the oldest aud has been uniformly private 
property. East-Haddam ferry has been improved with tome inter- 
ruptions 65 years. Id 1811, it was granted by the Assembly to 
George Lord and Eber Rutty. It now belongs to Mr. Lord. Hig- 
ganum ferry was granted to Haddam town in May 1763. Haddam 
ferry was granted to Calvin Br ai nerd aud Roswel Braiuerd at tlic 
last session. 

At what time the first military company was forme'd in Haddam 
I have not had the means of ascertaining. The first captain so far 
as I can learn, was George Gates, Esq. one of the proprietors. 
About the time of the formation of East-Haddam society a company 
•was formed there, aud commanded by Joshua Braiuerd, one of the 
first settlers of that town. From Haddam company a uew company 
was formed about the year 1730 at Higganum, and from this in 
May 1771 Puucet company was formed. The people on Haddam 
Neck were probably detached from the first or town company iu 
Haddam, when Middle Haddam society was formed in 1740 ; and 
the people at Haddam Quarter from Higganum company, wheu they 
were united to Durham in 1773. 

The lists below contain the names of those who have successively 
commanded these companies. 

H. Town Company. Joseph Selden, 

George Gates, Esq. James Hazelton, 

James Wells, Esq. Dea. Eliakim Braiuerd, 

Dea. James Braiuerd, John Ventres. 

Caleb Cone, Oliver Wells, Esq. 

Thomas Shayler, Joshua Smith, 

John Fisk, David Dickiuson, 

Gideon Braiuerd, Samuel Shayler, 

James Wells, Mnj. Huntington May, 

Thomas Shayler, Arnold Tyler, 



14 



Cul. John Braiueid, 
Stephen Dickinson, 
Gideon Higgins. 
UigS ttnum Company, 
Nathaniel Sutliff. 
Abraham 'Brooks, 
.Tabez Brainerd, Esq. 
Charles Seers, 
John Smith, 
David Brainerd, 
Col. Daniel Brainerd, Esq. 
litman Brainerd, 
John Brainerd, 
Noadiah Cone, 
Johu Clarke, 
Curtis Smith, 



Daniel Brainerd. 
James Walk ley, 
Amos Smith, 
Puncet Company. 
Stephen Smith, 
Aimer Smith, 
Samuel Hubbard, 
Edmund Porter, 
Jeremiah Hubbard, 
Jonathan Burr, 
Samuel Slannard, 
James Thoriias, 
David Spencer, 
Samuel Hubbard, 
Abraham Hubbard, 
Sylvester Brainerd. 

The regiment to wlw'ch the above companies belong, has been uri- 
iier the command of Hezekiah Brainerd, Esq. and Abraham T)ler« 

Middlt -Ilad.lam Compau} has been commanded by 17 difler- 
ent captains, of whom Dea. Ebenezer Smith, Thomas Selden, Ansel 
Brainerd, KHas Selden, and Daniel Brooks belonged to Uadriam 
Neck. Abner Porter nud Arnold Hazel ton have commanded 
companies of cavalry. A company of volunteers was formed in J lad- 
dam in the last war, and commanded by Samuel Brooks and Dea. 
Nehemiall Brainerd, Esq. 

The military Company formed at East Haddam and commanded 
by Joshua Brainerd, at his resignation was divided into two ; from 
these two a company was formed at Millington in 1737 or 8 and 
commanded by Samuel Olmsted, which was also divided imo two 
at his resignation, though he was re-elected captain of the 1st of them. 
Hadlyme company, belonging to East-Haddam part of Hadlyme, 
was formed from East Haddam 1st company, about 1740 or 50. 
A company of cavalry has long existed, composed partly from bast- 
Haddam, and partly from Colchester. This compan) in 1812 vol- 
unteered to the State. The commanders of the above companies 
have been as follows— 



15 



E. II. lit or South Company. 
John Chapman, 
John Holmes, 
Matthew Smith, 
Jabez Chapman, Esq. 
Daniel Cone, Esq. 
Bezaliel Brainerd, 
Dea. James Gates, 
Matthew Smith, 
Maj. Daniel Cone, 
Col. David D. Spencer, 
Elijah Ackley, 
Gen. E. Champion, M. C. 
Jeremiah Smith, 
Robert Cone, 
Samuel P. Lord, 
Richard Green, 
Joseph Church, 
Samuel Crowe!, 
E. II. North Company. 
Samuel Olmsted, 
Stephen Cone, 
Thomas Gates, 
Daniel Gates, 
Caleb Chapman, 
John Percival, Esq. 
Joshua Braincrd, 
Gen. Dyer Throop, Esq. 
Jonathan Olmsted, 
Jonathan Kilbonrn, 
Jehiel Fuller, 

Levi Palmei-, 

Abncr Hall, Esq. 

Dea. Caleb Gates, 

Elisha Cone, 

Darius Gates, 

Col. Jonah Gates, 

Darius Braincrd, 



William Palmer. 
Millington, 1st or N. Company. 
Samuel Olmsted, 
Joseph Arnold, 
William Clmrcli, 
John Willey, 

Enoch Brainerd, 

Aruasa Duttun, 
John Arnold, 
Noadiah Emmons, 
Nathaniel Lord, 

Maj. Nathaniel Emmons, 

Aaron Fox, 

Oliver Church, 

Diodate Lord, 

Hezekiah Loomis, 

Manly Bcebe. 
Milling ton South Company. 

Jared Spencer, 

John Mc. Call, 

Aaron Cleaveland, 

Jonah Cone, 

William Cone, 

Ebenezer Duttou, 

Nathan Jewett, 

John Chapman, Esq. 

Joseph Gates, 

Robert Anderson, ■ 

Amos Randal, 

Col. Josifih Griifio, 

Diodate Jones, 

Samuel Morgan, 
Gardner Gallop,, 

Uriah Spencer, 

David G. Otis, 

Maj. Jonathan Eeckwitk, 

Barali Bcckwitb. 



10' 



Madlymc Company. 

Dea. Christopher Holmes, 

Ephraim Fuller, 

Ebenezer Spencer, 

John Shaw, 

Col. Eliphulet Holmes, Esq. 
Zachariuh Hungcrford, 
Abraham Willey, 
Ebenezer Holmes, Esq. 
Jabez Comstock, 
Charles Spencer, 
Neuton Marsh, 
Benjamin Crosby, 
Robert Hunger ford, 
Cliauncey Beckwith, 
Calvin Comstock, 
Ozias Holmes. 
Cavalry Company. ' 
Daniel Brainerd, 



Samuel Gales, 
Ichabod Olmsted, 

Chamberlain,! 

James Green, 
Jonathan Deming, 
Daniel Bulkley,f 
Ephraim Ackley, 
Roger Bulklcy,f 
Col. Uriah Carrier,! 
Solomon Spencer, 

Judd, 

Nathaniel Ackley,-| 
David Deming,f 
William Wright, 
George Bulklcy,f 
Richard Lord, 
Nathan Williams.f 



The persons marked(f) in the list of captains of cavalry did not be- 
long to East Haddam. A volunteer company here in the last 
war was commanded by William Cone and Ebenezer Emmons. 

There belonged to the companies in Haddam according to returns 
made the last fall, including officers, the following numbers, viz. to 
Haddam town company 63, to Higganum 64, Puucet 40, and to that 
part of Middlelladdam company living on Haddam Neck, 26. 
To these may be added 24 blonging to a state corps, and 8 to a company 
of cavalry, making in all 234. Eor East-Haddam South company 
there were returned at the same time 20, for 2d or North do. 54, 
Millington North 20, South 24, lladlyme 31. The company of 
horse belonging half to East-Haddam had a little time since 45 
members, and the number probably does not differ much from this 
now. About 20 privates belong to a state corps. Besides these 
there is a volunteer company commanded by Jeremiah Smith of 
33 members, making in the whole 29J or 5. 



17 

In all the wars which have agitated this country for a century 
and an half, the inhabitants of these towas must have been concern- 
ed. The fears which they entertained of the Indians, were 
doubtless increased by the wars which were carried on between them 
and the English from time to time. The last French war is in the 
remembrance of individuals now living ; in which great alarm was 
excited in the colonies, not only from the power, but the religious 
character of our enemies. Numbers from Haddam, and East-Haddam 
were called into actual service, and several died by sickness in 
camp, or fell in battle. The war of the Revolution is in the remem- 
brance of many more. Its justice and importance were generally ac- 
knowledged, and the people improved opportunities of taking oaths of 
fidelity to the United States; but the privations and sufferings occa- 
sioned by it are indescribable. Continuing nearly eight years a 
large portion of the inhabitants capable of beariug arms, were called 
into the service of their country ; some endured the greatest distress 
from want and fatigue in the army, others from the treatment receiv- 
ed in captivity and prison ships, and others lost their lives 5 while the 
people at large felt the evils arising from the suspension of regular 
business, and the imposition of heavy taxes. The present Avar ope- 
rates greatly against the interest of these towus, as their employ- 
ments are directly connected with navigation. Of its justice many 
arc not satisfied, and few if any advocate its expediency, while the 
cry of all the righteous ascends to God for the speedy restoration 
of peace. 

It is not possible to ascertain precisely the number of inhabitants 
iu Haddam for mauy years after the settlement, nor indeed of Had-" 
daai and East-Haddam after the division of the original township. 
There may have been 30 families at the incorporation in 1G68. If 
we suppose these to have thribled iu 30 years by natural iucreuse 
and the accession of settlers from abroad, and that one third of the 
whole at the close of this period lived in East-Haddam, it will give 
60 families for Haddam society in 1700, and 30 for East-Haddam. 
Iu a tax bill for the former society in 1718, 62 uames are mention- 
ed, aud at the call of a minister in 1739, there were 71 voters; in 
both which cases the families were probably somewhat more mime* 
*3 



18 

reus. In the present society of Haddam, Hie number of deaths au- 
uually from 1 756to 60 wasbut n small fraction over 8; for 10 years 
past it has been nearly 29. From this it may be fairly calculated, 
admitting that more die in proportion than formerly, (hat the popu- 
lation of Haddam Society is thrice as great as it was 50 years ago, 
and the same is doubtless true of Haddam Keek. The fact has 
been very different in Easl-Haddam. As that was more suitable 
for farming than Haddam, it peopled much faster after the settlement 
began. There were 71 taxable persons there in 1718. For 
40 or 50 years its inhabitants have not greatly varied. There 
were in Haddam according to the census in 1800, 2307 in- 
habitants, in 1S10, 2205; there are now in the town 2300, 1111 
males and 1159 females. In East-Hnddam there were in lbOO, 
2805, in 1810, 2537. In this town there are now 2283 inhabitants, 
1087 males and 1196 females. The following table will show the 
number of dwelling-houses, families, and inhabitants, males and 
females, in the different societies, or parts of societies in these towns. 



Haddam Society, 

Ifaddam Neck, 

E. Haddam, 1st Society 

Millington, 

Hadlymc, E. H. part, 

Total, 



J). H. [Famines IiiU-.b. 


Male, 


F malesj 


340 


390 


1951 


967 


984 


47 


62 


349 


174 


175 


167 | 196 


1017 


472 


545 
503 


172 j 190 


991 


4S8 


53 


55 


275 


127 


148 


779 1 893 4583 

l 1 1 


2228 


2355 



19 

These towns are healthy. The ah- and water arc uncommonly 
pure. Such diseases as are incident to children have often prevail- 
ed, but the cases have been few in which diseases have spread to 
any considerable exteut among the people at large. In the " Life 
of David Brainerd" mention is made of the prevalence of a mortal 
sickness in Iladdam in 1732. The dysentery raged here in 1758, 
on Haddara Neck in 1760, in the town district in 1800; the typhus 
fever prevailed here the last year in June, and in 21 days carried 
off W persons, most of whom were heads of families. In East-IIad- 
dam 1st Society, (he throat distemper prevailed in 1775 and 6, at- 
tended with the dysentery, in the former year more than 40 died, 
and in the latter more than 50, including those who died in the army. 
The typhus fever raged there the last spring, especially about the 
Landing. With these exceptions, and perhaps a few more of which 
I have not been informed, the towns have been healthy. 

The number of deaths in Iladdam society for ten years, counting 
back from the 1 V_j.li of April last was 286; the number of deaths on 
Iladdam Neck for 10 years past, counting back from 1st of January 
was 38, in East-Haddam, 1st Society 125, in Millington 131, in 
Hadlyme E. H. part 34: in all 014 ; in Iladdam 324, in East- 
Haddam 290. These sums give 01 4-10 as the average number of 
deaths annually iu these towns, which is not 1 to 74 persons. 
Among the 236 who have died iu Iladdam Society there were 12 
above 00, 15 others above 80, and 31 above 70. Iladdam Neck 
and East-Haddam could probably produce a proportional number 
of aged persons among those who have died in them. 

For many years all the people from the original township of 
Iladdam brought their dead to Iladdam town grave-yard for inter- 
ment. The people from the cast side in attempting to bring across 
a corpse were prevented by the state of the ice, and they dug a 
grave and buried it at the plare, which from that circumstance be- 
came a burying yard for East-IIaddain, and is known by the name 
of the Cove grave-yard. In 1734, the burying ground was laid 
out near the Rock Landing for the people of Haddam Neck ; the 
burying ground at Higganum in 17 41, that at Puncet iu 1761, and 
that at the Lower part of town in 1782. Iu 1705 the people of 



20 

East-IIaddam voted to continue the improvement of the Cove-bury- 
u*>. around. The grave-yard in the upper part of Iiadlyme was 
laid out in ] 723, that at the Lous Fond Hi 1 720, lhat at Bashan about 
17G0, that near Green Hungerford's do. that in the upper part of 
the town in 17 18, tliat at Iiadlyme Meeting-House in 1750, that at 
Sain'i Beckwith'sdo.thatnear Millingloa Mceling-House about 1 764, 
lhat near Eight-mile river in 1 7G0, that near Capt. Jeremiah Smith's 
in 1774, lhat at East-IIaddam Meeting-House in 1783. A burying 
ground began to be improved at East-IIaddam Landing in 1773, 
one near Oliver Warner's in 1793, and that by Simeon Chapman's 
in 1802. 

There was but one school Kept in the present limits of Haddam 
for 70 years. Until 1709 what schooling there was, was kept in a 
private house. At that time the inhabitants voted to build a school 
house 18 feet by 16 which was erected near the dwelling house of 
Capt. Samuel Clark. In 1 723 a new school house was built near 
the town grave-) aid. In 1732 a vote was passed that the school 
should be kept three months at the school-house, and theu moved 
successively into different parts of the town. There are now ia 
Haddam 13 district schools, 12 In Haddam society, and 1 on Had- 
dam Neck. There was but one school iu East-IIaddam, till 
about 1729 or 30. There are now 19, S in the 1st Society, 7 in 
IMillington, and 4 iu Iiadlyme north of Lyme line, though two of 
these arc furnished in part with scholars from Lyme. The names 
of these schools and the number of scholars sent to them the last 
winter are as follows, in Haddam, the town school 94, Higganutn 
83, Puncet 40, Lower-part of town 75, Candle .wood hill 35, south 
school id Lower-part of town 07, Turkey hill 33, YYalkley hill 19, 
Beaver meadow 20, Little-city 30, South-western 41, North-western 
27, Haddam Nerk 72, total of Haddam 047. In East-Haddam, 
1st Society, are Middle-district school 02, Landing 78, South 43, 
South-east 45, Bashan 43, Upper district 48. North-west GO, and 
the factorydistrict school, which was formed the last winter from the ' 
north west, making in all 379. In MMIington there arc, Middle dis- 
trict school 09, North western 32* Western 51. South western 40.* 



21 

South 50,* East 45 * North-east 32,* total 319. In Hadlymc there 
are, 'the Center school 31, North east 16, South-east 7, K. H. part, 
west 15 do. making G9. The whole number of children belonging 
to East-Haddam, instructed iu the district schools the last winter, 
is 767. 

The above schools excepting two or three in Haddam and one in 
East-Haddam 1st society are usually taught by men in the winter, 
and by women iu the summer. In some instances districts have in- 
quired after cheap instructors rather than good ones, while in others 
a wiser course has been pursued ; and it is but justice to acknowledge 
that schooling in both towns, is iu a state of improvement. 

A Library company was formed in Haddam in 1 701, and a collec- 
tion of books procured : but through delects in the constitution, the li- 
brary was soon neglected, and in 1808 the company was dissolved. 
The literary society owns 80 volumes, which may be the beginning of 
a good library. The company in Middle-Haddam was formed in 
December 1793 and possesses 238 volumes. East-Haddam company 
was formed in 1794, and has now 206 volumes. Millingtoa 
library company is dissolved. The company iu HiTtllyme formed 
in 1790, has 117 volumes. 

About 17 persons in Haddam and 24 in East-Haddam have been 
publicly educated ; a large proportion of whom have gone into the 
ministry, and some have attained to eminence. 

George Gates and Daniel Brainerd were probably magistrates be- 
fore the formation of East-Haddam society. The following lists 
contain the names ofahosc who have been justices since that period. 
How many of these had their commissions before the. division of the 
original towu is not exactly known. 

Justices in Haddam. Jabez Brainerd, 

James Wells, Joseph Brooks, 

Hezekiah Brainerd Assistant Dca. Nehemiah Erainevd, 

Col. Hezekiah Brainerd, Dr. Hezekiah Brainerd, a 
Joseph Wells, judge of County Court. 

* These numbers are given according' to the judgement of on» of the 
Overseers. 



22 



Cornelius Higgles, 

Den. Fzra Brainerd, 

Col. Daniel Brainerd, 

Edward Selden, 

Dr. Srnilh Clark, 

Stepheu Tibhils, 

Oliver Wells, 

Dr. Levi Ward, 

Dea. Jonathan Huntington, 

Reuben R. Chapman, 

Linus Parmalee, jun. 

Justices in East-IIaddam. 

Thomas Gates, 

Samuel Olmsted, 

Jabez Chapman, 

Stephen Hosmer, 

Dea. Daniel Cone, 

Dr. Thomas Adams, 

Gen. J. Spencer, Assistant. 

DaDiel Brainerd, 

Gen. D. Throop, first judge 
of the County Court for 
the County of Middlesex. 

Col. Jabez Chapman, a judge 



of County Court. 
Samuel Estabroolt, 
Dea. Israel Spencer, 
Dea. Samuel Huntington, 
Timothy Gates, 
John Chapman, 
Dea. John Percival, 
Isaac Spencer, jun. J. P. 
Col. Eliphalet Holmes, s 

judge of County Court. 
Thomas Mosely, M. D. 
Col. Jonathan O. Moseley 

Member of Congress. 
Timothy Gates, jun. 
Ebenezer Holmes, ** 
Abner Hall, 
Jared Spencer, 
John Brainerd, 
Col. Josiah Griffin, 
Israel Cone, 
William Cone, 
Sylvester Chapman, 
Isaac Chapman. 



While delicaey forbids any remarks upon the living, it is pleas- 
ing to observe concerning the justices who have deceased, and who 
had in their day no inconsiderable share of business iu these towns, 
and of influence in (he state ; that many of them were no less dis- 
tinguished for their piety than for their good sense, and general reg- 
ularity of conduct. The first Hezekiah Brainerd, under the dis- 
advantages of education commou iu his day, acquired extensive 
knowledge. Early called also by divine grace, he gave himself up 
to the practice of religion. He used to keep days of private fas- 
ting to promote his spiritual welfare, was much in prayer and had 
particular evidence that his prayers wore heard, and enjoyed strong 



23 

and abiding consolation and hope. His mental and moral worth 
soou attracted public notice, and he was raised to the station of an 
assistant in the colony of Connecticut, which station he held till his 
death. On a proposition to establish a court of Chancery in the state, 
he was selected as the Judge, though the court was never organized. 
He died at Hartford, during a session of the Assembly, May 24, 
1727, aged 40, and was buried in the old burying ground in that 
place. Happy effects of his prayers and labors were left upon his 
children. His third son was the celebrated David Brainerd, mis- 
sionary to the Indians from the Honorable society in Scotland for 
the propagation of christian knowledge, and pastor of a congrega- 
tion of christian Indians in New Jersey, whose life as drawn by the. 
elder President Edwards has excited the admiration of the pious 
both in Europe and America. With superior intellect, it discov- % 
ers the greatest humility, self-denial, zeal and benevolence. His 
fourth sou was John Brainerd, the successor of David in the pasto- 
ral office, who was considered by his acquaintance as equally pious, 
though not so much distinguished for talents. Others of the family 
were respectable both for their piety and abilities. 

Gen. Joseph Spencer married a daughter of the Worshipful Mr. 
Brainerd, and in several respects resembled his father-in-law. 
From the native strength of his mind, and diligent improvement 
of the means of information in his power, he became well versed 
in those branches of knowledge which were important in the stations 
• he was called to fill. For 35 years he was Judge of Probate fm 
the district of East-Haddam and Colchester. In 1758, he went 
into the northern army in the capacityof a Major under. Col. Nathan 
Whiting, and the two following years as a Lieutenant Colonel, iu 
the last French war ; and acquired the character of a brave and 
good officer. Iu 177J>, in the war of the revolution, he was ap- 
pointed a Brigadier, and in 1776 a Major General, in the army of 
the Uuitcd States. He resigned his commission two years after. 
In 1779 he was a member of Congress. In 1700 he was elected 
into the Council, and held a seat iu it, excepting when a member 
of Congress, till his death. His civil and military offices were an 
honorable testimony to his abilities. These however, did not con- 



24 

siitutc Ms greatest glory, lie loved the pure doctrines and obeyed 
the pure precepts of the gospel, Few have given clearer evidence 
of a change of heart. He early made a public profession of reli- 
gion, and served many years as a deacon in the church iu Milling, 
lou. He died as might be expected iu the full faith of a blessed 
insurrection. 

Happy will it be if such men are raised to office in future; able 
men, who fear God, men of truth, hating covteousness. 

Tm? jfiist Setiw£B8 of those towns possessed the common 
*p'uit of the puritans, and were careful to transmit it to their de- 
scendants. iVluch of the industry, frugality, simplicity and pie- 
iy, which have characterized preceding generations, were the effect 
of their exertions, prayers, and examples. Within the memory of 
persons living, an individual could scarcely be found who habitually 
neglected public worship, or a family which neglected morning 
and evening devotion. And though there is occasion to lament 
lltat iniquity now abounds and the love of many waxes cold, what 
religion remains, has been communicated through the'same instru- 
mentality. No person in either town has ever been convicted of 
a capital crime ; but three persons iu Haddam have been left to 
commit suicide, and but two in Easl-IIaddam. 

In dividing the laud the proprietors of the original township 
reserved one right for him who should be their first minister, and 
one right for the support of the ministry forever, the benefits of 
which last appropriation are experienced iu both towns at the 
prcseut time, though a part of it either by the depreciation of cur- 
rency, or imprudent management, has been lost. 

Public worship appears to have been observed on the Lord's day 
from the first settlement. For a time (lie people met in a private 
house. In 1073 and 4 they built a meeting house 28 feet long uud 
24 broad, not far from the spot where the dwelling house of Capt. 
Samuel Clark now stands. In 1700, it has been mentioned, a so- 
ciety was formed in East-IIaddam. A new meeting house was erec- 
ted in Ilmldaro in 1721, where the court house stands, 44 feet long 
and 3(j broad. The present meeting house after much difficulty 
about the spot where it should be set. was built iu 1770 and 71, 05 



25 

feet by 45, and was dedicated Oct. 24 of the latter year. Ou that 
occasion the late pastor delivered a sermon (which was published) 
from Haggai 2. 9. The glory of this latter house shall be greater 
than of the former, sailh the Lord of hosts ; and in this place 
will I give peace, saith the Lord of hosts. 

As no church records exist in Haddam earlier than 1756, it is 
impossible to determine with certainty, when the church was orgau- 
ized. It has been spoken of as organized at the ordination of Mr. 
Hobart in 1 700. But it is scarcely credible that a christian people 
should have remained so long without the enjoyment of gospel or- 
dinances. Several circumstances incline me to believe that it was 
organized at a much earlier period. 

The first preacher here of whom any mentiou is made in the old 
records of the towu was Mr. Jonathan Willaube. He continued but 
a little time. 

In 1 008, Mr. Nicholas Noyes was improved as a candidate, and 
continued with the people 13 or 14 years, though it is said he was 
not ordained. He belonged to a family which came from Wiltshire 
in England, and was uephew to the Hev. James Noyes fust minis- 
ter in Newbury Mass. and cousin to the Rev. Mose3 Noyes of 
Lyme, and the Rev. James Noyes of Slonington, the first ministers 
of those two towns. He graduated at Cambridge in 1007. During 
his continuance in Haddain it is reported that the difficulty arose 
iu the church, (which if true proves that a church then existed here) 
that led the brethren to apply to Mr. Noyes of Lyme for advice ; 
to whom by mistake he superscribed a loiter intended for his tenant. 
After leaving lladdam Mr. Noyes was ordained with the greatest 
unanimity at Salem Mass. November 16, 1683. He was there du- 
ring the prosecutions for witchcraft and was very instrumental in 
carrying them forward, au error which he afterwards frankly and 
justly acknowledged. He preached the election sermon iu 1698, 
and was greatly distinguished for learning, religion, aud usefulness. 
The following character was giveu of him in the Boston news-paper 
after his decease, and is preserved in (lip; Massachusetts Historical 
Collections, vol. 6. p. 280. 
*.1 



2e> 

"Salem Dec. 13, 1 707 died the very reverend and famous Mr, 
Nicholas Noyes near 70 years of age, and in the 35th of his or- 
dained ministry at Salem. He was extraordinarily accomplished 
for the work of the ministry whereunto he was called, and wherein 
he found mercy to be faithful, and was made a rich, extensive and 
long continued blessing. Considering hi* superior genius, his preg- 
nant wit, strong memory, solid judgment, his great acquaintance in 
human learning and knowledge; his conversation among his friends 
so very entertaining and profitable ; his uncommon attainments in 
the study of divinit}, bis eminent sanctity, gravity mid virtue, 
his serious, learned and pious performances in the pnlpit, his more 
than ordinary skill in the prophetical parts of scripture, his wisdom 
and usefulness in human affairs, and his constant solicitude for the 
public good : it is no wonder that Salem, and the adjacent part of 
the country, as also the churches university and people of New- 
England justly esteem him as a principal part of their glory. He 
was born at Newbuiy_, December 22d, 1 017 and died a Bachelor." 

Mr. John James preached here as early as lbS6; how long he 
continued is not known. It is supposed that he was from Wales. 
He had no inconsiderable share of learning, and sustained a fair 
reputation for piety ; but was distinguished for the greatest singu- 
larities. Some very ludicrous anecdotes ftre transmitted concerning 
lnm, and are widely circulated in the country. He settled in the 
ministry at Derby. 

The Hev. Jeremiah ITobnrt came to Iladdam in 1690, or 91. 
"He was the son of lite Rev. Peter Ilobart. who was first minis- 
ter at llingham in the county of Norfolk in England, and by rea- 
son of the persecution of the puritans, removed with his family to fc 
New-England, and was settled in the ministry at llingham in Mas- 
sachusetts." He received his education at Harvard College, where 
he graduated in 1050. He was settled a while at Topsfield Mass. 
and then at Hempstcd, Long-Island, " which place he left in conse- 
quence of numbers turning quakers, and others becom'ng so irreli- 
gious that they would do nothing to the support of the ministry." 
The people here made proposals to him Aug. 24, 1691 ; which he 
accepted. As he had been consecrated to the ministry before, the 



27 

people appear to have recognized him as (heir minister without & 
formal installation. But difficulties arising afterwards, ihey voted 
in April 1695, that they did not consider themselves asunder the 
charge of Mr. Hobart as pastor ; and that with consent of the Gen- 
eral Assembly and approbation hf neighbouring chinches they would 
embody in church way and order according to the gospel." At the 
request of Mr. Hobart and bf the inhabitants, a committee was ap- 
pointed by the Assembly to inspect the difficulties in lladdam. Iu 
conformity with this appointment, Robert Treat, Depot) Governor, 
Daniel Wiiheral and John Hamlin, Assistants, and the Rev. Messrs. 
Timothy Woodbridgo, Noadiah Russel, and Gurdou Saltonstall 
met here, Nov. 25, 1093. After passing various resolves with a 
view to restore harmony, they declared, " That upon their delibe- 
vate consideration the agreement between Mr. Hobart and them 
was both in point of taw and equity valid, and binding to each par- 
ty." They advised the people to call Mr. Hobart to the full execu- 
tion of the office of a pastor among them ; which affivice seems at 
length to have been accepted, as he was installed Nov. 14, 1700. 
Of his character very little is known He became the subject of 
infirmities several years before his death ; but was able to attend 
public worship in the fore-noon, Lord's day, Nov. 0, 1715, and re- 
ceived the sacrament, and died at the intermission, sitting in his 
chair, in the 85th year of his age. His wife was a daughter of the 
" Rev. Timothy Whiting, minister of the gospel, first at Boston in 
Lincolnshire, and afterwards at Lynn in Massachusetts." She died 
at Hartford. By her he had three daughters, one of whom was 
married to a Mr. Wade of Lynn, Elizabeth was married to Heze- 
kiah VVyllys the first secretary of the Wyllys family, and died 
aged 88, having sustained a very pious and benevolent character : 
Dorothy was married first to Mr. Daniel Mason of Lebanon, by 
whom she had one child Jeremiah, and then to Hezekiah Brainerd 
the Assistant. She died March 11, 1732, aged 55. 

Mr. Phineas Fisk, was the colleague and successor of Mr. Hobart. 
He was the son of Dr. John Fisk of Milford, and graduated at 
Yale College in 1704, being of the third class which received the 
honours of that institution. In 1700 he was elected a tutor, and 



23 

discharged the duties of the tutorship seven years. In March foL 
lowing his eleclion, the venerable Rector Pierson, miuister of KiN 
lingworth, died ; the senior class was removed to Milford and placed 
under the tuition of the Rev. Samuel Andrew, Rector pro tempore ; 
while the other classes were removed to Saj brook, and put under 
the special care of Mr. Fisk, who in connection with a fellow tutor, 
instructed and governed them with the greatest wisdom and fidelity. 
Fart of a manuscript volume written by him is in my possession, 
containing a general view of the sciences, which he probat I) u>ed 
for the purpose of refreshing his mind while au instructor at College, 
While the churches in the stale were looking to this institution for 
pastors, he was the happy and hououred instrument of preparing a 
rjumbi r in part for their work, aud rendered immense service lo 
the cause of literature and religion in the rising colony of Connecti- 
cut. President Stiles in a sermon at the interment of the Rev. 
Chauucey Whittlesey of New-Haven, who had been a distinguish- 
ed tutor, speaks of I\Jr. Fisk in high terms as^n instructor, and 
declares him to have been a pillar of the College and to have had 
great renown in his day. Dr. Trumbnll also speaks of him as au 
excellent tutor and as having made fine scholars. He became a 
licentiate before he left the tutorship, and preached in Had^ 
dam. He was ordained September 16th, 1714. His talents were 
solid rather than brilliant, and he was regarded as a sound, rather 
than a popular preacher. The election sermon, which he delivered 
in 1726, discovers good sense and a thorough acquaintance with 
scripture. He was a man of piety and wisdom, sound in faith, 
pleasant and familiar iu his intercourse with his people, and plain in 
reproof. He was beloved and respected in life, and his memory ia 
blessed in this place and its vicinity to this day. He died October 
17th, 1738, in the 56th year of his age, and 24th of his ministry, and 
richly deserved the character given on his monument of a 
"learned, faithful and zealous minister." His wife wasLydia Pratt 
of Saybrook, who died iu the triumphs of faith, July 14th, 1765, 
aged 33. By her, he had seven children : Lydia, who was married 
to the Rev. Moses Barilcit of Chatham, and died November 1777 
ear .70 ; Mary, who was nrarried to Colonel Hezekiah Braiuerd, 



and died March 3d, 1708, aged 85 ; Anna, who died young \ Abigail, 
who was married lo the llcv. Chiliab Brainerd of Easlbury, and after 
his decease, to ihe Kev. Mr. Merrick ol Wilbrahaui, Mass. and 
died in 1807 aged 89; Elizabeth, who was married to the Rev. 
Nehemiah Brainerd of Easupury, and died December 4th, 1793, 
aged 73; Jemima, who died young; and Samuel, who was pub- 
iickly educated, and was a tutor of eminence. The following auec- 
dote may serve as a specimen of his accuracy as a scholar. While 
he was tutor, President Clap, whose reputation as a mathematician 
and an astrouomer, was deservedly very high, in calculating the 
course of a comet, drew the conclusion that it would strike the earth, 
and was filled with fearful apprehension of the consequences. He 
repaired to Mr. Fisk, who by showing him the calculations he had 
niade, at once detected his error, and relieved his mind. He be- 
came a candidate for the ministry, but never settled, being cut off 
by death July 13th, 1740, aged 25. 

In July, 1739, Mr. Aarou Cleaveland was orcein ed over the 
church and people of Hadilam. He was a native of Mystic, now 
Mcdford, Mass. and graduated at Cambridge 1735. At his settle- 
ment little opposition was made to him ; but difficulties arose af- 
terwards, partly oa the subject of support, and partly from the 
Zeal and fervency with which he preached fiom impressions 
received under the instructions of the celebrated George Whit- 
field ; and he was dismissed in 1746. He possessed popular 
talents, was engaging in conversation, and persuasive in his pub- 
lic addresses. A large portico of the people very much lamented 
his dismission and an attempt was made to re-settle him. After hie 
departure from Haddam, he was minister successively at Maiden, 
Mass. Halifax Nova-Scotia, and at Lewistowu, in Delaware, at the 
last place as an Episcopalian. In a journey to visit his family, re- 
Biding in New-England, he was taken sick and died at Philadel- 
phia, at the house of his old friend and acquaintance Dr. Franklin, 
and his body Mas carried back to Lewistowu and buried. 

After Mr. Cleavelaud's dismission several candidates were im- 
proved in Haddam ; but none was settled until June 1749, when 
Mr. Joshua Elderkin of Windham was ordained. He graduated 



30 

at Yale College only the year before, and waa not probably very 
well studied in Divinit) ; his lieallb was poor, which together with 
low spirits. prevented his discharging fully the duties of his office. 
The people became dissatisfied, and it was mutually agreed between 
him and them, to submit their difficulties 10 the South Consociation 
of Hartford County, to which lladdam then belonged; and he was 
d it missed in 1753. He returned to Windham, and went into other 
business, though it is said he resumed preaching before his death. 

The late pastor of this people, the Rev. Eleazer May, was the 
son of Deacon llozekiah May, of Wethersfield. He took his first 
degree at Yale College, 1752, and was ordained June 30ih, 1756. 
His gifts and labours are fresh in the minds of the inhabitants. He 
died, respected by his people, April 14th, 1803, in the 7 1st year of 
his age, and 47th of his ministry. His worthy consort, who was 
Miss Svbbil Huntington of Lebanon, died October 6th, 1798, aged 
63. They had ten children, all of whom excepting Captain John 
May are still living, »ud are widely dispersed over the country. 

The present pastor was ordained April 12. 1804. 

Some of the deacons of this church were ordained. Their names, 
time of election, deaths, and ages, so far as ascertained, were as 
follows ; 









Elected. 


Died. 


Aaged. 


Daniel Brainerd, 


Esq, 







April 1, 1715. 


74- 


Thomas lsrouks, 









April 6, 1734. 


79. 


Joseph Arnold, 









April 8, 1752. 


86. 


James Brainerd, 









Feb. 10, 1742. 


73. 


Thomas Bsooks, 






about 1742. 




82. 




Elisha Cone, 






Do. 


March 6, 1809. 


99. 


Elijah Brainerd, 






July 12. 1759. 


May 9, 1764. 


58. 


Col. Hcz. Brainei 


d, Es 


:q. 


t-\b. 14, 1761, 


Dec. 14, 1774. 


67. 


Joseph Smith, 






Nov. 27, 1771. 


April. 22, 1790. 


79. 


Nehemiah Itraiuerd, Esq. 


about 1784. 


Nov. 8, 1807. 


66. 


Elkkim liraiiH-ii 


1, 




Do. 






Jonathan 1 hint mu ton, 


E:,q 


. April 1806. 






David Hubbttml, 






May louG. 







Dea. Cone officiated steadily 40 years, and was very faithful, 
particular!} in his efforts to maintain public worship after I he dis- 
cission of Mr. Cleavelaud, and agaiu after that of Mr. Eldeikio. 



Greatly esteemed by others for his simplicity, integrity and piety ;. 
lie enjoyed himself the consolation ol a good conscience, and closed a 
good old age iu peace. 

Previously to Mr. May's ordination it is uot known how many 
belonged to the church. At that lime there were 103 members, 37 
nudes and GO females. He admitted 234 persons and baptized 077. 
At my ordination there were 107 members, 38 males and 09 females : 
since that time 120 have been admitted, and 270 baptized. The 
present number of communicants is 102, 50 males and 1 12 females. 
Iu 53 years 463 different persons have belonged to the church. 

The fund belonging to lladdam society is 1 1 I 7 dollars 22-100 
money at interest, and parsonage lands, which at a moderate esti- 
mate, are worth 2000 dollars. The Tate Airs. Elizabeth Braiuerd 
relict ol* Dr. Hezekiah Brainerd Esq. willed to the Society 500 dol- 
lars more. 

The inhabitants gave to Mr. Noyes a house built for Mr. Willaubc, 

the right of laud reserved for the first minister, and 40/. as a sala- 

C 
ary, payable in produce. They assisted Mr. HoWart m building a 

house, allowed him Go/, salary, and for a part of the time at least, 
furnished him with wood. They did the greater part towards the 
building of a house for Mr. Fish, and the purchase of a homester] : 
gave him a right of 50/. in the commons, and several lots of land; 
the use of the parsonage, 35/. salary for the first year and 45 for the 
two next, which was afterwards increased till it arrived to 70/. 
* They sometimes gave him more. Mr. Cleaveland's settlement was 
500/. in bills of credit, and 150/. salary for the first year, which 
was increased 10/. yearly till it arrived to 200/. Ail ounce of 
silver was then reckoned at 24 shillings. The people voted to give 
Mr. Elderkin 1G00/. settlement, silver to be reckoned at 31. an ounce, 
and 500/. salary, to be increasing 20/. a year till it amounted to COO/. 
There was a new proposal about the salary. Mr. May's support 
was 1G0/. settlement, and 50/. salary for the (irsi year, increasing 
4/. a year till it became 70/. with the use of the parsonage. II<. 
finally received 90/. with the parsonage. The stipend of the pres- 
ent minister is 500 dollars yearly. 

The church in Midule-IIaddam is composed partly from 
lladdam, and may be properly considered in this place. This wo 



3*2 

formed Sept. 24. 1740. The people met for public worship at first 
iu the dwelling house of Esq. Dart. The old meeting house stood 
within Chatham bounds. Their new and convenient house is also, 
in Chatham. At the time of forming that church, Benjamin Bow- 
ere a native of Billeriea and graduate of Harvard College 1733. 
was set over it in the Lord. He was a serious, exemplary, and 
useful minister. He died May 11, 1761 in the 46th year of his 
age and 21st of his ministry. His first wife was Miss Sarah New- 
ell of Maiden Mass. by uhom he had 8 children, 1 of whom sare 
living. His second wife was the widow of Stepheu Hosmer Esq. 
of East-Haddam. 

Mr. Benjamin Boardman succeeded him Jan. 5. 1762. He was 
born at Middletown, and educated at New-Haven where he gradua- 
ted in 1758 and was afterwards a tutor. He had more taleuts than 
prudence. Rash and violent in his temper, he was ill qualified to 
preach the gospel of Christ. Much difficulty arose betweeu him 
and his people, and he. wan dismissed in Sept. 1 763. He was installed 
iu the south church in Hartford. 

Mr. David Selden, the existing pastor, was ordained Oct. 19. 
1785. 

The following is a list of the deacons in this church; those prin- 
ted iu italics belonged to Haddam Neck : 





Elected. 


Died. 


Aged 


Ebenezer Smitlt, 


Nov. 18, 1740. 


Feb. 11, 1752. 


81. 


Gideon Arnold, 


Do. 


March 1772. 


— 


Benjamin Harris, 


March 14, 1748. 


April 11, 1775. 


75. 


Darnel Arnold, 


Nov. 27, 1771. 


May 27, 1774. 


43. 


Ezm Rrainerd, Esq. 


Do. 






David Smith, 


June 1, 1774. 


Nov. 25, 1795. 


$2. 


Dr. Tliomus llrunicrd, 


Dec. 10, 1795. 






Selden Gates, 


July 27, 1810. 







The male members at the formation of this church were 13, of 
whom 7 belonged to the Neck. The whole number of members 
now is 92, 34 males and 53 females. Of these 12 males and 20 
females live in the bounds of Haddam. 

Mr. Bowers' support wag 40/. salsry, his settlement is not gsrer- 



33 

tained. Mr. Boardman's settlement was 200/. and his salary 
at first 65/. then 73/. and 20 cords of wood, aud at length 95/. 
without wood. Mr. Sehlen's settlement was 200/. his salary was for 
two years 50/. for two more 70/. and since has been 80/. 

It has bf.fn ALREADY noticed that East lladdam was formed into a 
separate society from lladdam in 1700. The first meeting house 
there was prepared for use about five years after ; it stood in 
the middle of the street near the dweHingdiou.se of Isaac C. Ackley, 
and was 32 feet square. The second meeting house was finished ia 
June 1723; it stood on a rise of ground about 80 rods south of the 
present meetingdiouse aud was 55 feet by 40. The present commo- 
dious aud well constructed edifice was opened Thanksgiving day, 
Nov. 27, 1794. It is 64 feet long and 44 broad, with a projection 
of 18 feet by 4, and cost about 0000 dollars. 

- On January 6, 1704, East-IIaddam church was formed, and Mr. 
Stephen llosmer was chosen to be their pastor. He was ordained 
the 3d of May following... He belonged to Hartford, and graduated 
at Cambridge 1099. He was respectable for talents, excelled in 
prayer, aud was exemplary in all his conduct. He preached the 
election sermon in 1720. He died June 16, 1749, aged 70; having 
faithfully served his people 45 years. His wife who was Miss Sa- 
rah Long of Boston, died September 30th of the same year. They 
had three sons aud two daughters, who are all gone to the grave. 

Mr. Joseph Fowler succeeded Mr. Hosmcr, May Hi, 1751. He 
was born at Lebanon, and graduated at New-Haven 1743. He 
was a respectable and godly minister. He died June 10, 1771, in 
the 49th year of his age, and 20th of his ministry. His wife wa3 
Miss Sarah Metcalf of Lebanon, who departed this life June 1, 1779., 
aged 61. They had eight children, 4 of whom are living. 
Mr. Elijah Parsons was ordained October 28th, 1772. 
Some of the deacons in East-Haddam as well as lladdam were 
ordained. Their names, time of election, &c. were as follows : 





Elected. 


Died. 


Ago*. 


Thomas Gate. - ;, 


1704, 


April 20, 1734, 


70. 


Daniel Cone, 


do. 


June 15, 1725, 


CO. 


Daniel Brainerd, 


1725, 


Feb. ?.K, 1743, 


/ 1 



M 



Isaac Spencer, 


173-1, 


Ecb. 10, 1751, 


72. 


Jeremiah Gates, 


1741, 


Nov. 1, 1761, 


65. 


Ifbadiah Bfaineruj 


174.3, 


Sept. 30, 1746, 


50. 


Daniel Cone, Esq. 


1746, 


May, 27, 1776, 


83. 


James Gates, 


1762, 


moved to Richmond, Mass 




Samuel Huntington, Esq, 


' 1770, 


March 20, 1707, 


71. 


Thorn h Fuller, 


yOo. 


moved to Hartford. 




Jo* j 1 1 IVrcival, Esq. 


1782, 


Jan. 22, 1813, 


80. 


Caleb Gates, 


1795, 






Epliraitn Gates, 


1806. 







At the formation of the church there were eight male members. 
The whole number who have belonged to the chinch from the be- 
ginning is 530. The members at this time are 77, 27 males and 50 
females. 

The settlement of Mr. Hosmer is not ascertained ; his salary was 
a part of the time 70/. and a part of the time 90/. Mr. Fowler's 
settlement was 2000/ old tenor bills, and his salary 193 1-2 ounces 
of silver, or bills of equal value, with the interest^ the parsonage 
money, 15 cords of wood, and the use of the parsonage lot. Mr. 
Parson's support is 200/. settlement, 100/. salary, with the use of 
the parsonage. 

The fund of East-IIaddam is 400 dollars in money at interest, 
3,000 dollars in Hartford Bank, and a parsonage of 300 dollars 
value. Capt. Jonathan Olmsted has willed 500 dollars to the socie- 
ty, to be given at his decease. 

An Ecclesiastical Society was formed in the east part of East- 
Haddam in October 1733, and called Millingtoo. The people 
met lor religions worship in the dwelling house of Jonathan Chap- 
man until some time in 1713, when their meeting house was prepar- 
ed for use. This is 50 feet by 40. 

Mr. Timothy Symmcs of Scituate Mass. was ordained Hoc. 2, 
1730, and the church not improbably organized at the same time; 
He took his first degree at Cambridge, 1733. In the great revival 
of religion which spread in New -PJngland a few years after his or- 
dination, his feelings were extravagantly raised, and he prosecuted 
his work with a zeal not according to knowledge. This gave rise 
to difficulties which ended in his dismission in the close of 1743. 



35 



1889124 



Mr. Hobait Estabrook, a son of the Rev. Mr. Estabrook oi 
Canterbury, who graduated at New-Haven 1730, was ordained in 
Midingtou, Nov. 20. 17-15. He was a steady, judicious and faith- 
ful minister, and is remembered with respect aDd affection by bin 
people. He died Jan. 28, 1766, in the 50th year of his age and 
20th of his ministry. His first wife was Miss Hannah Williams, of 
Manslield, by whom he had two daughters that died young. His 
second wife was Jerusha Chauncey, daughter of the Rev. Isaac 
Chauucey of Hadley, Mass. by whom be bad four children : two 
of them are living. She died June 17, 1770 aged 62. 

Mr. Diodate Johnson received ordination, July 2, 1767. He 
was a son of the Rev. Stephen Johnson of Lyme, was educated at 
Yale College where he took his first decree in 176-1, and was a 
tutor. Endowed with superior genius and learning, and animated 
with fervent love to the souls of men, he entered iheMninistry with 
the fairest prospects of usefulness. These prospects, however, were 
soon eclipsed in the mysterious providence of God. A consumption 
closed his life, Jan. 15, 1773, at the age of 23. lie was sitting 
in his chair reading the prayer to Doddrige's Rise and Progress, 
entitled " A Meditation and Prayer, suited to the case of a dying 
Christian," when struck with death. 

Mr. Eleazer Sweetland was ordained, May 21, 1777. He was 
a native of Hebron, and graduated at Dartmouth College, 1774. 
He died, March 25, 1787, aged 36, having sustaiued the character 
of a serious and good man, leaving a wife and three children, who 
removed soon after from Millington. 

Mr. William Lyman was ordained Dec. 13, 1787. 

The deacous in this church have been as follows : 

Elected. Died. Jived. 



Samuel Emmons, 










Daniel Gates, 





. 




Gen. Jos. Spencer, Esq. 


Nov. 20, 1767, 


Jan. 13, 1789, 


75. 


Samuel Dutton, 


July 4, 1771, 


Dec. 30, 1790, 


87. 


Ebenezer Dutton, 


Feb. 26, 1778, 


moved to Lebanon 




Benjamin Fuller, 


do. 






Nathaniel Cone, 


May — , 1789, 


April 15, 1790, 


7* 


Barzillai Beckwitb, 


June 4, 1790, 






Isaac Spencer, 


April 1, 1796, 







3G 

As Mr. Symmes carried away the records of the cliurch, it can. 
not be ascertained how many members there were at his settlement, 
nor how many he admitted. Mr. Estabrook admitted 44, Mr. 
Johnson 20, and Mr. Swcetland 45. Dr. Lyman has admitted 106. 
There belong to the church now 70 persons, 13 males and 53 fe- 
males. 

The society pave Mr. Symmes 300/. settlement, and 100/. salary, 
aud his wood. His salary was afterwards increased. Mr. Esta- 
brook's support was 300/. settlement and 200/. salary, silver being 
computed at 32 shillings per ounce. Mr. Johnson's settlement wa» 
200/. and his salary 00, which was to be increased to 80/. He gave 
back his settlement to the society. This the society gave as a set- 
tlement to Mr. Sweetland, whose salary was 90/. Dr. Lyman receiv- 
ed a settlement of 200/. and at first a salary of 90/. aud 20 cords of 
wood. His salary is now 500 dollars and 25 cords of wood. 

The fund of Millington is 526 dollars 53-100 parsonage money, 
and 200 dollars a donation from Mr. Samuel Gates. Mr. Simeon 
Chapman has willed a farm to the society, which is to go into their 
hands upon the death of his children. 

A Society was formed, from East Haddam society and Lyme 
3d society in Oct. 1742, and called Hadlyme. About two-thirds 
of this society are in East Haddam. Their meeting-house was 
erected the year after, and is 40 feet by 35. 

The church was gathered June 26, 1745, aud on the 18th of 
September following, the llev. Grindall llawsou was installed their 
pastor. He was born at Mendon, Mass. received the degree of 
bachelor at Harvard 1728, and was settled several years at South- 
Hadley, Mass. He Avas a plain preacher, gifted in prayer, re- 
markably sociable, aud had an uncommon talent in reconciling 
parties at variance.. He died March 29, 1777, in the 70th year of 
his age aud ]/2d of his ministry in Hadlyme. His wife was Doro- 
thy Cbauncey, daughter of the Rev. Isaac Chauncey of Iladley. 
She died Nov. 15, 1780, aged 70 years. They had seven child- 
ren, all of whom died before them, excepting one who is still liv- 
ing- 
Mr. Joseph Vail was ordained, February 9th, 1780. 



37 

The following persons have # been deacons in this church. Those 
iu Italic characters, lived iu East Haddam. 



Samuel Button, 


movei 


1 to Mrllington, where 
re-elected. 


; he was 


Samuel Crosby, 











Christopher Holmes, 


Jan. 18, 1750, 


April 12, 1792, 


77. 


Col. Samuel Selden, 


March 19, 1756, 


Nov. — , 1776, 


— 


Israel Spencer, Esq. 


March 29, 1780, 


Nov. 18, 1813, 


81. 


Jabez Comstock, 


April 3, 1792, 


Oct. 10, 1807, 


84. 


Israel S. Spencer, 


Oct. 1, 1801, 






Israel Dewey, 


June 3, 1803, 


May 19, 1806, 


52. 



Col. Selden commanded a body of men iu 1 77G called six months' 
men, was taken, and died in captivity at New-York. He was a 
worthy man and good officer. 

There were ten male members iu this church at its formation. 
From the beginning 218 persons have been members of it, 77 liave 
been admitted by the present paslor. The commuuicants at this 
time are 38, 9 males aod 29 females; four of the males and 15 of 
the females live in East-IIaddam. 

Mr. Rawson's support was 300/. old tenor for settlement, and 
150/. salary for the first year, which was increased 5/. yearly till it 
amounted to 170/. The people gave him 100/. also in labor towards 
building him a house. Mr. Vail's support is 200/. settlement, 70/. 
salary and 12 cords of wood. 

The people living in East-IIaddam part of the society have a fund 
to the amount of about 340 dollars. 

The churches in Connecticut were regulated in their discipline 
by the Cambridge Platform before Haddam was setlled. This con- 
tinued as a directory until the adoption of Say brook Platform iu 
1708. At this time Haddam church, and East Haddam church, 
with other sister churches iu the state, became consociated. Middle- 
Haddam, Milliugton, aod Hadlyme churches were either consociat- 
ed at their formation, or shortly after. These churches all belonged 
to the south consociation of Hartford county until two or three 
years after the formation of Middlesex county, wheu with the 
churches in Saybrook, Lyme, Killiogworlh, aud the societies of 



38 

X'.ast-ilaiiipfon and Wcst-Chcatcr, they became u new consociation. 
The ministers of these various churches, are the Middlesex associa- 
tion. 

" Tlu: Confession of faith" which the Platform contains is the 
same with the Westminster confession, which is adopted by the pres* 
byteriau churches m Scotland, and those which are distinctively 
culled prcsbyterian in the United States, exception; that some 
things respecting church discipline and divorce are omitted, and a 
few expressions amended. Tluis altered it was adopted by a gene- 
ral synod of the chinches in New-England at Boston in 1 680. 
"The Heads of agreement" are the same that were entered into at 
a meeting of prcsbyterian and congregational ministers at the Savoy 
in London in 1G0O, and contain some happy concessions on points 
of minor importance, for the purpose of harmony among the friends of 
Christ. " The Articles of church discipline" were drawn up at 
Say brook. The principal thing wherein these differ from what had 
been before generally received and practised was this, says Presi- 
dent Clap, " That whereas the Cambridge Platform bad said in gene- 
ral terms, that councils should consist of the neighbouring churches ; 
and some question had arisen who should be esteemed the neigh- 
bouring churches, and what number should be called in particular 
cases; these reduced it to greater certainty, that councils should 
consist of neighbouring churches in the county, they forming them- 
selves into one or more consociations for that purpose." They are 
not considered as altering the relative powers of ministers and 
churches, nor as giving any novel or dangerous power to one church 
or body of churches over another; but as pointing out what the 
powers of ministers and churches are, or rather as showing how 
these powers may be discreetly and profitably exercised. So at 
least they have been explained. At the fust meeting of the conso- 
ciation of New-Haven county at Bradford in 1709, at which some 
of the compiles of the articles were present; it was declared as 
their sense, " That the articles were no more than a recognition of 
the obligations which the Gospel of Christ brings distinct societies 
of christians under, to afford each other mutual advice and assis- 
tance, when desired." 

The ha?f-way covenant, as it is usually styled, was once introduced 



39 

into the church io Haddam : but it was soon rejected. It has bees 
laid aside several years in practice in Middle-lladdam. It was 
never introduced iuto East-Haddtfm, nor into Millington chinch. 
Iu Hadlyme it was rejected at the call of Mr. Vail. This cove- 
nant was at first introduced under the idea of favouring such weak 
christians as had conscientious scruples about their fitness to approach 
the Lord's table, but it has been found by experience to have opeu- 
ed the door for many to profess religion and get their children bap- 
tized, who have felt themselves under no increased obligations to 
perfect holiness, and to train up their children for God. It is now 
very general!)' viewed by serious people as unscriptural. 

At an early period children were taught the catechism on the 
Lord's day in Haddam, and probably in East-IIaddam, as the prac- 
tice was not only approved by christians, but recommended by the 
Legislature. This laudable practice is recently introduced iuto many 
places. 

There was but one religious denomination in Haddam, till about 50 
or 60 years ago, and but one in East-IIaddam till a period much later. 

At the first mentioned period a few persons began to hold meet- 
ings by themselves in the Lower part of the town, who were called new- 
lights or separates. In 1785 they formed themselves into a congre- 
gational society ; and iu 1792, they professed themselves baptists. 
They built their meeting house the year following, which is 32 feet 
by 25, one story. The communicants here, with the communicants 
of the same denomination in East-Hampton, constitute one church. 
This is the largest branch, and consists of CI members, 18 males 
and 43 females. Of these, 3 males and 5 females live in Chester. 

The methodists in the western part of the town arose in 1 791, 2, 
and 3, built their meeting house in 1795, which is 41 feet by 29. 
The number of communicants among them is 30, of whom 23 live 
in Haddam, 10 males and 18 females; the rest in North KiTlingwbrtli 
There are some of this denomination in other parts of the town. 

A disagreement about the spot where the new meeting-house should 
beset produced a separation in East-IIaddam society. The people 
who left the society were organized as an episcopal society, April 
27,1791. Their house of worsnip, was erected iu 1792,51 !(.<■». 
long and 37 broad, with an end gallery. It is well built, and stsm !- 



40 

ing on an eminence commands an extensive prospect. Mr. Solo 
mou Blakesley was set over this people as a deacon in 1792, and in 
full orders the year succeeding. The communicants are 20, 9 males 
and 1 1 females. 

About 1739 or 90, a few baptists arose in Millington; there are 
also in that society a few people of the methodist persuasion. 

There has never been in Iladdam nor East -Haddam so far as I 
can learn, a general revival of religion. The great revival of religion 
in JN"ew-Engl;uid 70 years ago reached the towns, but produced no ex- 
tensive effects. God has usually taken his elect here and brought 
them singly unto Zion. In 1802 there was some awakening in East- 
Haddam, in 1806 about 40 persons were thought to experience the 
special grace of God in Haddam. In Middle-Haddam and Milling- 
ton there have been gentle refreshings from the presence of the 
Lord. In Iladlyme there have been several seasons of more than 
common attention to religion within a few years, and a seriousness 
there is at this time happily progressing ; the young especially are 
remembering their Creator, and giving to God the dew of their 
youth. While the saints in these towns have never seen such Peu- 
tacostal days as have been wituessed in some places, they have seen 
enough to lead them to bless God and take courage. 

A review of the circumstances of our fathers is calculated to ex- 
cite solemn and pious emotions in the mind. God cast out the hea- 
then before them and planted them, that they might keep his statutes. 
The mercies and corrections visited upon them, teach us his good- 
ness, truth and faithfulness. Their fear of his name, their observ- 
ance of public and family worship, and various good works, call up 
on us to imitate their example ; while'their sepulchres remaining with 
us to tins day, admonish us of our approaching dissolution. It is 
all-important that we should not forget the great and good things 
done for those who have gone before us, nor suffer the privileges 
transmitted to us to perish iu our hands, but give them with large 
increase to our descendants. By gi eater attention to agriculture 
our farms may be rendered more productive ; by pursuing more ex- 
tensively other branches of business already introduced (should the 
times become favourable) and by an increase of manufactures, the 
wealth of the towns may be greatly promoted, and abundant employ- 



4i 

Went and comfortable support furnished to all. For the great masa 
of children, the district schools must ever be the principal means of 
education. That the full benefit of these may be experienced it is 
indispensable that school societies should not only select suitable 
persons for overseers, but for committees; men who will introduce 
instructors of competent abilities and virtuous characters, able and 
disposed to imbue the tender minds of children with the rudiments 
x f human science and of the oracles of God. To such it is the in- 
terest as well as duly of the districts to give honorable wages. 
Were new libraries to be established in some instances, and old ones 
increased in others, a happy effect might be expected. Of all 
the means of good to society, and to individuals however, the Sab- 
bath with its attendant ordinances, is unquestionably the greatest. 
Jts influence in informing the mind, softening ihe manners, introducing 
order into all the concerns of life, ami in preparing the soul lor hea- 
ven, is beyond calculation. It is not supposed indeed but men may 
externally regard the Sabbath without being christians. This is 
evinced by many and lamentable examples. To enter the kingdom 
of heaven we must be born again ; exercise repentance towards God 
and faith towards our Lord Jesus Christ ; deny ungodliness and 
worldly lusts, and live soberly, righteously, and godly in this pres- 
ent world. But God is pleased to sanctify his people through (lie 
truth; and by keeping Sabbaths on the earth, he mecteus them for 
the rest reserved for them in heaven. It will not do to neg- 
lect the Sabbath; nor can we with any reason complaiu of the ex- 
penses occasioned by its institutions, or labors in attending them, 
when these things have been borne and done by those who have 
gone before us, in worse circumstances than our own. liut it is 
not for ourselves only that we act. Our children are intrusted to 
our care; and unless we speak to them of the things of the kingdom of 
God, when we sit in our houses, and when we walk by the w iy, when we 
Jie down and when we rise up, pray with and for them to God, aud 
sat before them good examples; we cannot rationally expect that 
they will fill our places with wisdom and dignity, when we shall be 
cold in death. Amazing and solemn are our obligations. As men 
sucl citizens, as ministers and magistrates, as churches and societies, 



,;>'. 



AN APPENDIX, 



CONTAINING THE GENEALOGIES OF THE FAMILIES IN 1IADDAM 

AND EAST-HADDAM : TAKEN PARTLY FROM THE OLD 

RECORDS OF THE TOWNS, AND PARTLY FROM 

THE INFORMATION OF AGED PEOPLE. 



jf\.LL that is attempted in these is to bring them down to the re- 
collection of persons living, who may if they see cause, continue them. 

The names of the first settlers are printed in capitals, the names 
of their sons and later settlers, in Italics. Where persons are known 
io have died young, or lo have died unmarried, the figure 1 is 
annexed to their names ; figure 2 is aun< xed to those who are known to 
have; moved to other places ; figure 3 to such as married and died 
"without issue; and figure 4 to such as have no male descendants 
here, or male descendants from sons. The letter f. is frequently 
used as an abbreviation for father. 

The families ol one half of the first settlers are extinct, or gone 
from these towns. The genealogies of the others will now be given. 

Nicholas Ackley died in liaddam. His sons moved to the 
east side of the river, who were Nicholas, John, Samuel, Benjamin, 
James, Nathaniel and Thomas. Nicholas was the father of Nicho- 
las; John ol Jolm2 and Benjamin ;2 Samuel of Samuel. 1 Simeon, 
Stephen,! Elijah, Isaac, Bezaleel2 and Nathaniel ; Benjamin of 
Hezekiah, Benjamin, Joel and John; James of Jamcs,2 iN"icholas,2 
Nathaniel, Gideon 4 an. I Bcnajah ; Nathaniel of Nathaniel], Hen- 
ry, Ephraim and Warren ; and Thomas of Job and Thomas. 

Joseph Aunoijj was the father of Joseph Arnold a deacon, of Jo- 
siah, Jonathan, John and Samuel. Joseph was f. of Joseph 1 and 
Simon, and Simon of the late Joseph ; Josiuh was, father of Samu- 
uel,4 Josiah.4 David and J.unes;4 and David of David,2 
Francis,! Seth, Samuel, Josiahl and Jamcs2. Jonathan was f. of 
Samuel who was lost when three years old in the vroods west of Tur- 
key hill, of Jonathan who settled in the ministry in New Jersey, 
and of another Samuel, f. of Jonathan, 1 Samuel and James. John 
was the f. of Dr. John who settled in IMiddlelowu ; of Joshua a phy- 
sician on liaddam Neck, and f. of John, Joshua,! Jucobl.nnd Jo- 
seph ; of Gideon a deacon in Middle-Haddam church and f. of Dan- 
iel a deacon in said church, of Gideon a deacon in East Hampton, 
ofJabez and Jacob: of Ebenezer f. of the late Col. Arnold of 
Durham. Samuel settled in Easl-Haddani and was lather of Jo- 
seph, Samuel a candidate, Enoch,2 Josiah,2 and John. 4 Joseph was 
f. of Joseph, Ephraim, <\.c. 

John Bailey was the father of Benjamin and John. Benjamin 
was f. ofJolin,4 Benjamin4 and Nathaniel, the two first of whom 
were deaf and dumb, but able to do business and had families; Na- 
thaniel was f. of Daniel2 and Ezekiel.4 John was the f. of 
John, Ephraim, Jonathan-! and David.! John was the f. of John, 
Nathau : 2 Jeremiah,4 Amos ; l James2 and William; Ephraim of 



44 * 

feplnaini,.] Jacob, Gideon, Stephen,. Jabcz, Caleb, Abljali, 1 William*, 
01iver2 and Ephraim. 

Danifl Braineki) a deacon and justice, was born at Braintree 
iu the county of Essex in England, and brought when eight years 
old to Hartford, where lie lived in the Wyllys family till of age. 
After he settled in Haddara, his mother, at that time a widow, wrote 
to him, and spelt her name Brainweod, which renders it probable 
that that was the original name. His sons were Daniel who settled 
in East-Haddam, and was a deacon there. James a deacon, Joshua 
who settled iu East-Haddam, William who settled on iiaddam Neck, 
Cakb.Elijah and Hcsekiah, the Assistant. Daniel was the f. ol Daniel, 
Noadiah a deacon, Stephen 2 and Bezuleel. Daniel was the 1. of 
Daniel, Esq ; Noadiah of Noadiah 1 and Jared ; and Bezaliel of 
Daniel,2 Bezaliel ami Epoch. James was the f. of James, Gideon, 
Altijah, Daniel, 2 Zecliarinh,! J»phlhah,l Othniell and lieber. 
James was the I. of Benjamin, 4 Jedediah Ac. ; Gideon of Gideon, 
Dea, Eliakim, Arc. ; Abqah of Utliniel.2 Simon, Ax. Joshua was 
f. of Joshua, Daniel, 2 Eleanor, Jeremiah and Timothy. Joshua was 
f. of Joshua, Amasa, &c. ; Eltazer of Adonijah and Asa ; Jeremiah 
of jeremian ;1 and Timothy of Timothy .2 IVWium was f. of Wil- 
liam, Samuel, Chiliab a minhter at Eastbury, Josiah and .Nathan. 
William was f. of Jonathan and William :1 Samuel of Samuel,] 
\VilUu<n,3 Jeremiah, Ax.; Josiah of Josiah, Chiliab,] Ac ; and Na- 
than of Nathan, John, Ax. Caleb was the I. of Caleb,4 Jacob, 
joshua,2 Obadiah2 au.l Naihanicl.3 Jacob was f. of Bushuel,l Ac. 
Elijah was f. of Joseph, Elijah, a deacon, Jabez, Esq. and Phiuehas. 
Joseph wa* f. of Increase, Joseph,] and Josiah ;2 Elijah of Elisha,4 
Elijah, Ac. Hczekiah was f. of Col. Ilezekiah, Esq. Nehemiah 
minister at Eastbury, David the missionary, John bis ^accessor, and 
Israel.! 

Thomas Brooks had an only son Thomas, a deacon, who was f. 
of Thomas also a deacon, of Abraham, Jabez and Joseph, Esq. Tho- 
mas was f of Charles, Thomasl and David. 4 

William Clakkk was father of Daniel and Thomas. Daniel 
was the f. of William, Joseph, Daniel and John, William was 
f. of Pelatiah, Benajah and Uriah ;1 Daniel of Daniel,4 lleze- 
kiah4 and James ; and John of John. 4 Thomas was f. of 
Thomas,2 Jooalhau,4 Davidl and Israel. 

Daniel Conk was father of Daniel a deacon, Jared, SlephcnmA 
Caleb ; the three first of whom settled iu East-Haddam. Daniel 
Cone was f. of Dea. Daniel Esq. George, Joseph and Jared. Dan- 
iel was f. of Jeremiah,! Jonah, William, Maj. Daniel and Oliver ;1 
George of Syjyamis,2 George, Elieyxrl and Zachariah ; Joseph of 
Joseph,/! B.ujaminl, Solomon,4 Martin,2 Asl*bel2 and Jeremiah ;2 
and Jared of Matthew,2 Nehemiah and Daniel.2 Jared was the 
f. of Stephen and Thomas : the former of whom was the f. of 
Elisha and Tboraa9,2 and the latter of Joel, Noadiah, Josdma and 



Obadiah.4 Stephen, was f. of Stephen, 2 John! and Reuben. 2 Ca- 
leb vrsuf. of Caleb,4 Joseph, JNoah,! Elisha a deacon, Simon 1, Dau- 
ie!2 and Bariah.4 

Geo. Gates, Esq. removed in his old aj»e to East Iladdam and 
lived with Ids sons. These were Joseph, Thomas, Esq. John,\ 
George,'] Daniel, and Samuel. Joseph was t. of Joseph, deacon 
John, 2 Jonathan^ Jacob and Samuel. 4 Thomas was 1. of Thomas 
Daniel, 4 Jenmiah,4 George and Joshua. Daniel was I. of deacon 
Dauiel of Millingtou, David,4 Joseph, 1 Ephraiml and Julah. 
Samuel was f. of Samuel, 3 James, 2 Stephen and Jonah. 1 

Thomas SiiAVLta was father of Thomas and Abel 4 Thomas 
was f. ol Hczekiah, Joseph, Thomas and Samuel. Ilezekiah was 
f. of Timothy, Reuben, Ac. ; Joseph of Bezaiiel, &c; Samuel of 
Asa ; and Thomas of Thomas. 

Gerrard Spencer was laiher of Nathaniel, ThomasA Samtul 
and William* the two last settled in East -Iladdam. Nathaniel 
was f. of Nathaniel, Johu.4 Daniel and Phinehas.4 .Nathaniel was 
f. of Elisha, &c. ; Daniel of Dauiel, &c. 1 Samuel was f. of John, 
and Isaac a deacon. John was f. of Peter,4 Joim2 and Ebeiiezir; 
Isaac of Samuel. Gen. Joseph, assistant, Jaied.l Elihn, D. D. minis-, 
ter at Trenton, N. Jersey, Isaac'.i and Isne!, Esq. William wasf. 
of Joseph, Hezekiah, William. Jam<s,4 Micajah,4 Jonadiani and 
Ichabod.4 Joseph wash of Joseph, deacon Isaac and Icbanod ; 
Hezekiah of Simeon, Silas ami Solomon; William of Alexander, 
William, Matthias and Jeremiah. 

Thomas Spencer was father of J and one of the: first settlers at 
Puncet. lie was f. of John, I John,2 Jared,2 Benjamin, Ephraiml 
and Daniel. Benjamin was f. of Benjamin,2 David2 and Elizur ; 
Daniel of Daniel and Abner. 

Simok Smith was father of Benjamin, Simon, Joseph and John. 
Benjamin was f. of Benjamin,! Jacob, 4 deacon Joseph 4 and Daniel; 
Simon of Simon, 4 James,! Jonathan! and David;! John was f. of 
Joseph and William,* Joseph was f. of Joseph, William of John, 
Sic. 

William Ventres was father of Moses and JohnA Moses was 
f. of Daniel, John4 and Ebenezer.4 Daniel was f. of Daniel, I Eli- 
aul and John. 

James Wells had a son of the same name who was a justice, 
and father of Jamcsl and Joseph, Esq. 

The persons who joined the first settlers or their drcendants in 
these towns, and who have defendants themselves here at this 
time, have been as follows— to bc^in with Iladdam : 

John Bates came here within eight* or nine years after the first 
settlement, and was the father of John and Solomon. John was the 
f. of John.4 Solomon of Solomon,4 Joseph and David. 

Richard Walkley came here equally early, and was f. of 
Richard J he f. of Richard, Ebenezer and Joiiathoo.4 



46 ' 

TheScuvils are from William Scovil, the f. of William and John. 

As early as 1700 Daniel Hubbard moved here from JYliddletown,' 
ami was I. of Daniel, Thomas and Jeremiah. Daniel was f. of Joel* 
Daniel, 2 Samuel, &c. Thomas of Thomas and Daniel ;1 Jeremiah 
of Asa, &c. * 

JNof tar from the same time Asariah Dickinson settled here from 
Deci field. He was the f. of Azanah.4 Nehemiah and Stephen. 

About 1710 James, Peter] and Joseph Ray, three brothers, Por- 
tuguese, settled here, immediately horn Narragansett. James (who 
died over 100 years of age) was f. of James, Benjaminl and Joseph ; 
Joseph was f. of Isaac, Nathaniel, Jeremiah, 4 Joseph, 1 Timothy, 1 
Eiisha,3 Danicl,2 and Jacob. 1 

In 1723 Zcbuion Lewis from Salem became an inhabitant of the 
town. He was f. of 2ebulpn, Nathan, Eliezur,4 Levi,2 Eli- 
sha,2 and Thomas.2 

The same year John, Nathaniel'^ and Joseph* Sutl/'fT became in- 
habitants ; they were from Deerfield, where their father was burnt 
by the Indians. 

At the same time Stephen Smith from West-Haven became an in- 
habitant. He was the I. of Stephen, William, Samuel, John, Nathan 
and David. 

James Hnselton became an inhabitant in 1 726, and was f. of 
Charlesj James and Arnold. 

The Tyler* are descended from Nathaniel and Abraham, two 
distant relatives from Bran ford. The former was the f. of Nathan- 
iel, Nathan, Joseph,^ Samuel, James 1 and Simon ; the latter of 
Col. Abraham, Timothy ,3 and Rzra.8 

._; Richard Skinner, f. of Ebenezer ; Thomas Crook, f. of Shubael ; 
Richard Bonjoey, f. of Beuauuel ; are the ancestors of the existing 
families of these names. 

Thomas Seidell, fiom ITadley was f. of Thomas and Joseph. 4 

About 1741,2, or 3, Cornelius Higgins, Esq, John Knowles and 
'Roger Thomas, settled in this town from East ham, Mass. John 
]\uon''cs wan f. of John,l Elibha, Bichard and William : Roger 
Thomas of Ebenezer, Evan, Aaron, Prince! and Isaac. 4 

Thomas Church fiom Plain field in 1 74 1 ; Nathaniel Burr from 
Chatham in 17 12 ; Jacob Ely and Samuel Tinker from Lyme ; Ab- 
ner TiiiHls and James Mcnvin from Durham ; BarziUai Dudley 
from Sa^ brook ; Jonathan Boardman, Stephen Johnson and Nathan- 
iel U'elinorc Uon\ Middletown ; Robert Bradford from New-Lon- 
'don ; anil James- Child from Warren, Rhode-Island, about 1764 $ 
are the ancestors of the vaiie.-is families of these names in Haddani. 

The Kussels are hom East-Hampton, Long-Island ; the Kelseys 
tluttys, W'ilcox'cs and Steveuses, are from Killing worth ; tin: Stan* 
nnrfls Gladdtngs, Shermans and Wheelers are from Sajbrook; the 
JJnans are from Chatham. 

The remaining a re genealogies of families in East-Haddam. ' 

The ancestors of the Chapmaus, Bootes, Hungerfords and Ftd- 



Dea. 

l 



, prfi -ettjAr in East-Hadnrob. ice the year 1700. 

Rob Chapman, from So btf% was the f. o Davu . 4 ru,W 
fJStan, Caleb and Pencil Robert «• C of Robert .Jedad.ah 
Ker at Geneva, ImhfiV 2 and Aaron ;4 Jonathan o Ja- 
g 2 &c. ; Caleb of Calrb, Tv -my, to. ; fcraucis of ba.m.«d,4 &e.- 
Jol. J .bez Cbapn.au is .»- "' llora anolher branch °' lhc ba ^" 

{tephen,! aTnl Ebe..ei^»»»»«* *» Northtngtington m Faraio*. 

on John was f. of— ^ a '"' p^ 1 ; , \f 1 "! of , V JS £ " '? 
Lathon,2 TimoUi Jf ^™*™2«nd Rici.*rdj2 Daniel o Eheze, 3 
EHashih, Daniel, jS«iah. Job.,, Richard ,4 Joshua and Ichabod.2 
Th.vnn* Ih.J^'yl «as the t. ol John, Green, lhomasl .mil 

J,j3m4 "«» '»* »'• ot Jo,,ri ' Robevt m,d r,, ° ma85 '^ 

<"•'•- en s^ben, Lemuel and Nathaniel. _ 

k. VAowaa andS/n/6a«* Fi/lter were three brothers from Barn- 

-John was the f. of John2, William and Andrew ;2 1 horaas of 

,er,2of Thomas f. of Jehiel, Daniel minister at Mendon, Mass 

Oliver, of Nathan 2 Jabez,4 and Jonathan \\ Shubael ol 

hraim,4 Shnbael,2 and Jonathan.! 

Timothy Fuller wast of Matthias, Samuel,2 Timothy, and De- 
'lhunias.2 Matthias was f. of Matthias, E|isha,8 Noadiah, Dam. 
v d Ezra.i ..,..,. 

Jonathan Beehe from New-London was f. of Jonathan, \\ ilham, 
•oslma and Caleb. Jonathan was f. ol Jonathan, David, Samuel, 
lauiel am* Ebenezer: William of Abner, Silas, Asa a candidate, 
Tilliain^n ,7 ?, U»; Joshua. uLRrockway. J ° shua r BD 1 d I 0,,,ecll! 
(| v , ol Caleb, JNjJa..., R eu ben, Levi, Robert and Judah. 
John Holmes moved from Neu -Loudon to Enst-Haddam about 
;710. Ilis aped father of the same, name came with him W •«?* 

Oct 19. 1723 ajw-H op ... r<s ou uuned where the 

old burying ground in Hadlyme was afterwards laid out. John 
Holmes was f. of Thomns,4 John,-! Dea. Christopher and Eliphalef.4 
Samuel Emmons was from Cambridge and died at the ape of 00. 
hjc iaua. jaerfi Samuel a deacon, Nathaniel and Jonathan. Sam- 
lel was the f. of Ebenezer, Samuel, Daniel and Nathaniel D. D. ; 
Nathaniel of Thomas ; Jonathan 2 of Jouaihan 3 Joseph, Benjamiu,4 
and Jeremiah. 2 

Samuel Olmsted, Esq. and John his brother, were frofl Hartford. 
Samuel was the f. ol Samuel,4 William4 and Ichabod; Johu of 
John,2 Daniel, Jaraes,3 Stephen2 an^ Jonathan. 

Samuel DiUton a deacon was f. of Samuel, 1 Joseph, Dea. Ebene 
>.cr,2 Timotbj2 and Jeremiah.2 

Henry Champion from Lyme was f. of JLbenezer,l Col. Henry,2 
israel and Judah minister at Litchfield, 
Mallhcw Smith fiom Lyme was f. of Thomas and Matthew. 
Baiiiel Smtlft from the Cape was f. of Ipnafius and Policarp.i 
ignatiiuof Abnrr. Enoch, John Rowland and Elijah 



lis i