(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "The International Terminal, Chicago-O'Hare International Airport, Chicago, Illinois"

^ C&< 




THE INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL 

CHICAGO-O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 



THE CITY OF CHICAGO 

RICHARD J. DALEY, MAYOR 



CITY COUNCIL AVIATION COMMITTEE 

Vito Marzullo, Chairman 

Casimir C. Laskowski, Vice Chairman 

Robert H. Miller 

Nicholas J. Bohling 

Paul M. Sheridan 

George J. Tourek 

Alphonse R. Tomaso 

Daniel J. Ronan 

Rex Sande 

William J. Cullerton 

Mathias Bauler 

John J. Hoellen 

Jack I. Sperling 



DEPARTMENT OF AVIATION 

William E. Downes, Jr. 

Commissioner 

DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS 

Milton Pikarsky 

Acting Commissioner 

CHARLES F. MURPHY ASSOCIATES— ARCHITECT 

MILLER-DAVIS CONSTRUCTION CO. — BUILDER 

METRO NEWS SERVICE — PHOTOGRAPHY 




Chicago has a new gateway to the world! It is fitting that Columbus 
Day was selected as the date for the formal opening of the new Inter- 
national Terminal at Chicago-O'Hare International Airport, for the 
parallel in ideas — widened aspects and broader horizons — applies 
today, just as it did in 1492. 

The formal opening of the new International Terminal has a dual 
purpose: to mark the completion of the final phase of the $150,000,000 
revenue-bond development program under which completely new ter- 
minal facilities have been developed at O'Hare Field, and to mark the 
opening of new facilities to serve International flights. Opening cere- 
monies serve to focus attention on Chicago's ever-increasing im- 
portance as a gateway to foreign lands. 

The new domestic terminals at O'Hare Field were placed in opera- 
tion in early 1962 and were dedicated by President Kennedy on 



^■M-^ ■ 




March 23, 1963, prior to the completion of the International Terminal. 
The new international facilities utilize the original domestic terminal 
opened in 1955, vacated in 1962, now completely remodeled and 
supplemented by a new structure that houses Federal inspection 
agencies, plus the complete reconstruction of the old finger concourses. 

The resulting terminal consists of 185,000 square feet of space. The 
architecture is in harmony with the remainder of the terminal com- 
plex. The cost is in excess of $3,000,000, not counting the original cost 
of the structures which were remodeled and reconstructed. 

The terminal has been planned so that there is separation between 
the arriving passenger and the departing passenger. The building is 
two-level in plan. Departures are handled from the upper level and 
arrivals on the lower level. 

The departing passenger comes to the terminal by way of the ele- 
vated roadway, or parks in the parking lot and takes an escalator up 
to the ticketing level. Within the ticketing area, there are waiting 
room, concessions and airline ticket counters. When ticketed, the 
passenger proceeds to the departure lounge that serves the flight upon 
which he is departing. 

There are five departure lounges provided, one in the upper portion 
of the old terminal building. Escalators take departing passengers to 
the four departure lounges on the lower level. 

Arriving passengers use a corridor to reach Federal inspection 
agencies. Passengers first enter one of two public health areas, each of 
which has lounge and rest room facilities, together with examination 
rooms. Passengers proceed through immigration inspection and into 
the customs inspection area. Here rotating carousel baggage dispensers 



deliver their baggage and the super-market customs inspection 
counters are nearby. Having cleared through the customs area, pas- 
sengers proceed into a lobby where they meet family or friends, find 
transportation to town, or rent automobiles. Passengers can escalate 
up to the second level of the International Terminal and connect 
directly with domestic terminals. 

Sight-seers and those meeting arriving passengers go to the upper 
level of the terminal. There is a public observation deck from which 
airport operations can be observed. In the upper vestibule a glass- 
enclosed interior court overlooks the customs inspection area and 
permits the observation of this passenger-clearance procedure. 

International aviation activity started in 1953 at Chicago Midway 
Airport. During that year a total of 490 people were flown to and 
from European points on direct flights from Chicago. Flights to Mex- 
ico City were inaugurated in 1957. During 1958 nearly 90,000 passen- 
gers flew to and from Chicago in international flights. This has grown 
over the years until, in 1962, 170,000 international passengers flew to 
and from Chicago. These figures do not count passengers of Trans- 
Canada Airlines, which operates essentially as a domestic carrier be- 
tween Chicago and Toronto, with passengers pre-cleared through 
Federal inspection agencies in Toronto. Thus there is no requirement 
to clear customs in Chicago. 

Based on traffic during the first eight months of 1963, international 
passenger activity will increase 50 per cent over 1962. It is expected 
that the 170,000 passengers of 1962 will increase to 250,000 in 1963. 

The opening of the International Terminal facilities, replacing 
wholly inadequate temporary facilities, will enhance the passenger 
generation of International carriers serving Chicago. It is forecast 



that the 250,000 passengers arriving and departing in 1963 will in- 
crease to over a million within the next five years, and that by 1970, 
Chicago will be handling nearly one and one-half million international 
passengers per year, in addition to those carried by Trans-Canada 
Airlines. 

All of the new facilities at Chicago-O'Hare International Airport 
have been financed with self-liquidating revenue bonds without any 
burden on the taxpayers. Leases provide fees and rental which wholly 
amortize the cost of the facilities. Airlines pay rent, ramp rentals, and 
landing fees which vary as other revenues are developed. 

Ten international carriers serve Chicago through O'Hare Field. In 
addition to Trans-Canada Airlines, which uses the domestic terminal 
facilities, the nine that provide service through the new International 
Building are Air France, Alitalia, American, BOAC, Lufthansa, Mexi- 
cana, Pan American, Swissair and TWA. American and TWA use 
the International Terminal only for arriving International flights where 
clearance through Federal Inspection agencies is required. Departing 
flights are handled from their facilities in the domestic terminals. 

Approximately two thirds of Chicago's International passengers are 
on European flights and one-third on flights to and from Mexico. The 
percentage of European passengers is increasing as better and more 
frequent service is provided. Passenger counts do not include Inter- 
national passengers who use domestic flights prior to boarding an In- 
ternational flight at some other U. S. point. 

With Jet all-cargo flights now operating to Europe, all types of 
foreign activity are setting new records. Passenger volumes are in- 
creasing, cargo is booming, and tariff collections are reaching new 
highs. Chicago's International outlook for the future is truly bright. 



THE SCHEDULED AIR CARRIERS SERVING CHICAGO 



DOMESTIC AIRLINES 

American- Lake Central 

Braniff North Central 

Continental Northwest Orient 

Chicago Helicopter Ozark 

Delta Trans World* 

Eastern United 

Flying Tiger 



'Domestic Airlines With International 
Flights From Chicago 



INTERNATIONAL AIRLINES 

Air France Mexicana 

Alitalia Pan American 

BOAC Trans-Canada 

Lufthansa Swissair 



-mm:: 






3 5556 038 784823 



/