Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World
This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in
the world by JSTOR.
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries.
We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial
Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.istor.org/participate-istor/individuals/early-
JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please
WILLIAM HENRY EDGAR.
William H. Edgar was born September 10, 1839, at Bur-
lington, Iowa. His father, Dr. William S. Edgar, was the son
of William Edgar of Eahway, New Jersey. His mother,
Lavinia Janes Edgar, was the daughter of Judge Janes of
Pittsford, New York. Dr. Edgar was for many years a
prominent physician in St. Louis, Missouri, later moving to
William H. Edgar attended the public schools of Jack-
sonville, Illinois, and was a graduate of Illinois College of
that city, class of 1860-61.
In the summer of 1861 he enlisted as a private in the
Thirty-third Illinois Volunteers, and was, after some months,
transferred to the Thirty-second Illinois Volunteers as second
lieutenant. In 1867 he was admitted to the bar at Aurora,
Illinois, but never practiced law, preferring journalism to
the law. In 1868 he was city editor of the Daily Journal at
Jacksonville, Illinois, and remained such until 1870, when he
took charge of the Jerseyville (HI.) Eepublican, which he
afterwards purchased and conducted until 1890.
Mr. Edgar was well and favorably known in Jerseyville
and throughout Jersey County. He was a brilliant scholar,
a splendid writer, especially upon political topics, and was
what would be termed one of the leaders of the Eepublican
party in that section. He filled many places of honor and
was always interested in the upbuilding of the communities
in which he lived. In 1876 he was made a colonel on the staff
of Governor CuUom.
In 1880 he ran for Congress in the Twelfth Illinois dis-
trict against General Singleton of Quincy, but the district
being overwhelmingly Democratic, he was defeated.
In 1881 he was appointed postmaster of Jerseyville by
President Arthur and served four years, being succeeded by
In 1890 he leased the Pike Comity News at Louisiana,
Missouri, and edited same for two years. In 1892 he moved
to Beatrice, Nebraska, to take charge of the editorial depart-
ment of the Beatrice (Neb.) Daily Express, and continued as
editor until 1902.
In 1900 he was elected State Senator from the Twenty-
first Nebraska district and served two years. In 1902 he was
commissioned postmaster of Beatrice, Nebraska, by President
Roosevelt and served four years. In 1906 he moved to
Chicago, where he was a member of George Meade Post
No. 444, G. A. R.
In 1890 he married Mrs. Mary E. Davis of Jerseyville,
Illinois, daughter of Henry Beekman and Margaret Van
Deventer Beekman, who were early Jersey County settlers.
He was a gentleman of the old school, courteous, genial,
of a happy disposition, a great lover of his home, a musician
of rare ability, a scholar, and was deeply interested in the
betterment of humanity.
His death occurred at his home in Chicago, HI., December
14, 1917, after an illness of fifteen months' duration.
Colonel W. H. Edgar, for twenty-six years publisher
of the Jerseyville Republican, died at his residence, 6417 Har-
vard Avenue, Chicago, Friday at the age of 78 years.
The remains were brought to Jerseyville by Mrs. Edgar
and daughter, Mrs. C. A. Bowman, and husband, and the
funeral services were held Monday at the home of Elias Cock-
rell, conducted by Rev. Mr. Neely of the Presbyterian Church.
The pallbearers were Elias Cockrell, S. H. Bowman, M. A.
Warren, Jett Kirby, L. M. Cutting and Ed. Cross. Music was
furnished by a quartet composed of Rev. Mr. Neely, Dr. J. G.
Schwarz, Dr. J. 0. Rice and Paul Hamilton.
A friend contributed the following sketch:
*^ Another gentleman of the old school has passed from
our midst. The group of friends that gathered around the
bier of Colonel Edgar to pay their last tribute of appreciation
could truthfully say * another gentleman of the old school has
passed on.' ^ , , -, . . , i.
**In days gone by the courtly demeanor and jovial greet-
ing of Colonel Edgar added to the good fellowship in the
community. Good fellowship lived in his heart to the very
end. The colonel always loved the Jerseyville people.
** While the activities of this man^s successful life form a
long list containing many honors, the quality that brought the
most joy to the community was a gift for music. The melo-
dies that flowed from his fingers were as natural as bird notes.
The melodies from the piano blended into other songs until
many hours quickly passed. Thus will Colonel Edgar be
remembered in Jerseyville. At his residence in Chicago he
extended a cordial welcome to friends of earlier years, a
welcome repeated by his wife, daughter and son-in-law, Mr.
and Mrs. C. A. Bowman, all of whom eased his declining
years and gladdened his life by their loving service.''