Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World
This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in
the world byJSTOR.
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries.
We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial
Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.istor.org/participate-istor/individuals/early-
JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please
PIONEER AND HISTORICAL SOCIETIES OF THE STATE OF
As announced in the January, 1915, number of the Quarterly, a
survey of the pioneer and historical societies of the State of Wash-
ington will be given each year. Co-operation is desired with these or-
ganizations. Any news of historical work, of publications, the marking
of historic sites, or the celebration of historical events, as well as
changes in the ofiicers of the societies listed will be welcomed by the
Washington Historical Quarterly.
The societies which have come to the notice of the Quarterly are
Pioneer Association of the State of Washington. The head-
quarters are at Pioneer Hall, Seattle. The officers for 1916 were:
Edmond S. Meany, president, Seattle; George H. Foster, vice-presi-
dent, Colby; W. V. Rinehart, Sr., secretary, Seattle; W. M. Calhoun,
treasurer, Seattle; trustees: F. H. Winslow, M. R. Maddocks, James
McCombs, W. H. Pumphrey, Leander Miller. This society was
founded on October 23, 1883, at Olympia. The annual meeting is
held during the first week in June at the Pioneer Hall building at
Madison Park, Seattle. The original membership requirements were
residence on the Pacific Coast prior to the year 1870; at present a
person to become a member must have lived in the territory forty years
prior to date of application for membership. The society has about
800 members, but the records, however, include as many more, as
many of the older pioneers have neglected to keep up their dues. The
society invites all local associations to send a delegate to the annual
Washington State Historical Society. The headquarters are
at 401 North Cliff Avenue, Tacoma. The officers for 1916 were:
Henry Hewitt, Jr., president, Tacoma ; Hazard Stevens, vice-president,
Olympia; W. P. Bonney, secretary, Tacoma; William H. Dickson,
treasurer, Tacoma; curators: P. G. Hubbell, Tacoma; L. L. Benbow,
Sumner; W. J. Bowman, Puyallup; John Arthur, Seattle; Walter S.
Davis, Tacoma; Walter N. Granger, Zillah; Harry M. Painter, Se-
attle; Thomas Huggins, Tacoma; L. F. Jackson, Pullman; W. D. Ly-
man, Walla Walla; Sarah S. McMillan-Patton, Hoquiam. For two
years the society published the "Washington Historical Magazine,"
now discontinued. It has published two volumes of its "Proceedings."
8 Victor J. Farrar
The society was founded on October 8, 1891, and any citizen of the
state may become a member.
Washington University State Histomcal Society. The head-
quarters are at the University of Washington, Seattle. The officers
for 1916 were: Clarence B. Bagley, president, Seattle; Edmond S.
Meany, secretary and managing editor, Seattle; Roger S. Greene,
treasurer, Seattle. Since October, 1906, the society has published
the Washington Historical Quarterly. The society was founded at the
University on January 1, 1903. Any person may become a member.
Native Daughters of Washington. The headquarters are at
Seattle. The officers for 1915 were: Nellie Russell, president; Julia
N. Harris, vice-president. Any native daughter over sixteen years of
age may become a member.
Native Daughters of Washington Pioneers. The headquar-
ters are at Seattle. The officers for 191 ■'5 were: Mrs. Rena Bagley
Griffith, president; Miss Hilda Gaches, secretary. Any daughter of
a pioneer who resided on the coast prior to 1870 is eligible to mem-
Native Sons of Washington. This is a state organization with
camps located in the larger cities. Alki Camp, No. 2, located at Se-
attle, had the following officers for 1915: T. C. Naylor, captain;
Clare White, financial secretary and treasurer.
Women's Pioneer Auxiliary of the State of Washington.
The headquarters are at Seattle. The officers for 1916 were: Mrs.
John P. Soule, president; Mrs. H. A. Hunt, vice-president; Mrs.
Rosamond Densmore, secretary; Mrs. Eugene Thurlow, treasurer.
This society was formed in August, 1911, to serve as an auxiliary to
the Washington Pioneer Association. It meets four times each year.
Membership is restricted to women who have resided in the state prior
to 1889, the year of statehood.
Adams County. See Lincoln and Adams Counties.
Benton County. Old Settlers' Union. The headquarters are
at Prosser. The officers for 1916 were: G. W. Wilgus, president; A.
G. McNeill, vice-president; M. Henry, secretary. The society has an
annual meeting. Membership is restricted to those having a residence
of twenty years in the county.
Chehalis County. See Grays Harbor County.
Garfield County Pioneer Association. The headquarters are
at the postoffice address of the secretary. The officers for 1916 were:
Pioneer and Historical Societies 9
W. L. Howell, president; G. B. Kuykendall, secretary; L. F. Koenig,
treasurer and financial secretary. This society was founded on July
19, 1909. Membership is restricted to persons who have resided in
Garfield or an adjoining county for twenty-five years.
Grays Harbor County. Pioneer association of Grays Harbor
County. The headquarters are at Montesano. The officers for 1916
were: George Scammon, president, Westport; Mrs. Edwin May, first
vice-president, Porter; Mrs. Joe Redman, second vice-president, Mel-
bourne; J. W. Himes, third vice-president, Elma; Mrs. J. E. Calder,
secretary, Montesano; Mrs. E. Belle Marcy, treasurer, Montesano.
The association collects and preserves local historical documents. Mem-
bership is restricted to those resident in the county prior to January
Aberdeen Pioneer Association. The headquarters are at Aber-
deen. The officers for 1916 were: Mrs. J. G. Lewis, president; Lewis
F. Kolts, vice-president; Mrs. William Irvine, secretary; Mrs. Charles
Pinckney, treasurer; Mrs. A. D. Wood, historian; trustees: Mrs. Jean
B. Stewart, J. B. Haynes, J. G. Lewis, E. C. Finch, J. G. Smith. The
society has four meetings each year, the annual meeting occurring in
January and the memorial meeting in memory of those who have died
occurring on the first Sunday in March.
King County. Seattle Historical Society. The headquarters are
at Seattle. The officers for 1916 were: Mrs. Morgan J. Carkeek, pres-
ident; Mrs. William P. Trimble, vice-president; Mrs. Redick H. Mc-
Kee, secretary ; Mrs. William F. Prosser, treasurer ; Mrs. Frederick E.
Swanstrom, historian. The society has been very active in collecting
Kitsap County. Kitsap County Pioneers' Association. The
headquarters are at Charleston. The officers for 1916 were: H. M.
Williams, president, Tracyton; Lillie L. Crawford, secretary, Charles-
ton; Paul Mehner, treasurer, Bremerton. This society was organized
at the Kitsap County Fair on October 10, 1914. Membership is re-
stricted to those who have resided in the county prior to the year 1893.
The annual meeting for the election of ofl[icers is. held on the third Wed-
nesday in June at Bremerton.
Lincoln and Adams Counties. Lincoln and Adams County
Pioneer and Historical Association. The headquarters are at the office
of the secretary and the annual meeting and outing is held at the
society's grounds on Crab Creek. The officers for 1916 were: J. W.
Sawyer, president, Davenport; F. R. Burroughs, vice-president, Ritz-
10 Victor J. Farrar
ville; C. E. Ivy, secretary-treasurer, Davenport; Matt Brislawn, his-
torian, Sprague; directors: M. C. Lavender, Espanola; H. K. Rosenoff,
Sr., Ritzville; C. A. Harris, Ritzville; Henry W. Thiel, Ritzville;
George N. Lowe, Lamona.
Okanogan County. Okanogan County Pioneer Association. The
headquarters are at ConconuUy. The officers for 1916 were: P. H.
Pinkston, president, ConconuUy; George Hurley, vice-president,
Loomis; David Gubser, secretary, ConconuUy; WiUiam C. Brown, his-
Pierce County. Pierce County Pioneers' Association. The
headquarters are at the State Historical Building, 401 North Clifi
Avenue, Tacoma. The officers for 1916 were: Mrs. Addie G. Hill,
president; James Sales, vice-president; Mrs. Mary F. Bean, secretary;
Mrs. Celia P. Grass, treasurer. Meetings are held in January, April,
July and October. Local historical documents are deposited in the
society's rooms in the State Historical Building. The society has
erected monuments on historic spots. Membership is restricted to those
who have resided on the Pacific Coast prior to the year 1870.
San Juan County. San Juan County Pioneer Association. The
headquarters are at Richardson. The officers for 1916 were: Charles
McKay, president, Friday Harbor; Ervin Eaton, vice-president, Islan-
dale; R. J. Hummel, secretary-treasurer. Port Stanley; directors: C.
A. Kent, Lopez; Stanley Kepler, West Sound; Bert Fowler, Shaw
Island; William Reed, Decatur. The society was organized on Oc-
tober 31, 1915, at Bloor Grove, Richardson. Membership is restricted
to those who have resided in the state for twenty-five years. The an-
nual meeting is held in June.
Skagit County. Skagit County Pioneer Association. The head-
quarters are at Sedro-WooUey, where the society has extensive build-
ings, but the annual meeting and gathering is held at different places
in the county as may be determined by the committee. The officers
for 1916 were: Nick Beesner, president, Anacortes; Mrs. R. O. Welts,
vice-president; Mount Vernon; Frank A. Hall, secretary. Mount Ver-
non ; P. Halloran, treasurer, Edison. This association was organized
at Sedro-WooUey on August 13, 1904<. Two classes of members are
admitted. Those who have resided in the county prior to January 1,
1886, are admitted as "Pioneers"; persons who have resided in the
county for twenty years may be admitted as "Old Settlers."
Snohomish County. Stillaguamish Valley Association of Wash-
ington Pioneers. The headquarters are at Arlington. The officers for
Pioneer and Historical Societies 1 1
1916 were: W. F. Oliver, president; Thomas Moran, vice-president;
M. M. McCauUey, secretary; Charles H. Tracy, treasurer. The an-
nual meeting occurs on the second Thursday in August. The society
has three grades of membership. Persons resident in the state for
twenty-five years are "Pioneers"; those resident for twenty years are
"Early Settlers" ; those resident for fifteen years are "Honorary Mem-
bers." The society reports that Mr. M. Birckenmeier, who settled in
the county over thirty-three years ago, has donated an eight-acre tract
near Arlington for a park. The site was promptly christened "Bircken-
meier Pioneer Park." The deed has been placed in escrow with the
stipulation that it be recorded when the sum of $1,500 has been ex-
pended in improvements.
Spokane County. Spokane County Pioneer Society. The head-
quarters are at Spokone. The officers for 1915 were: R. A. Hutchin-
son, president; S. A. Eslick, vice-president; Joseph S. Willson, secre-
tary ; W. W. Waltman, treasurer ; the above, with John I. Daniels, make
up the board of directors. There are four meetings a year, including
the annual outing. Membership is restricted to those who have re-
sided in Spokane County prior to November 29, 1884.
Spokane Historical Society. The headquarters are in the
Spokane Public Library Building. The ofiicers for 1916 were: N. W.
Durham, president; W. D. Vincent, first vice-president; Mrs. E. F.
Rue, second vice-president; William S. Lewis, corresponding secretary;
George W. Fuller, recording secretary ; B. L. Gordon, treasurer ; trus-
tees: Jonathan Edwards, B. L. Gordon, J. Neilson Barry, Harl J.
Cook, William S. Lewis, N. W. Durham, W. D. Vincent, Mrs. E. F.
Rue, E. I. Seehorn, R. D. Gwyder, Garrett B. Hunt. The society is
actively engaged in collecting manuscripts.
Stevens County. Stevens County Pioneer Association. The
headquarters are at Colville. The officers for 1915 were: C. R. Mc-
Millan, president, Orin; Frank Habein, vice-president, Colville; Mrs.
Clara Shaver, secretary, Colville; John G. Kulzer, treasurer. Valley;
John B. Slater, historian, Colville. The annual meeting is held on
June 80 of each year. Membership is restricted to those who have re-
sided in the state prior to June SO, 1895.
Thurston County. Pioneer and Historical Society of Thurston
County. The headquarters are at Olympia. The ofiicers for 1916
were: Hazard Stevens, president; George N. Talcot, first vice-presi-
dent; F. W. Stocking, secretary and treasurer; trustees: W, Scott
Shaser, P. M. Troy, M. D. Abbott. There is an annual gathering at
12 Victor J. Farrar
Priest Point Park in summer and a meeting for the election of officers,
etc., in March. Membership is restricted to those who have resided
in the county prior to 1870.
South-West Washington Pioneer Day Association. The
headquarters are at Rochester. The officers for 1916 were: J. W.
LieuUen, president, Rochester; J. B. Stanley, secretary-treasurer, Ro-
chester; trustees: L. L. Hunter, Aberdeen; W. S. Shaser, Olympia;
C. C. Seates, Oakville; F. G. Titus, Centralia.
Walla Walla County. Inland Empire Pioneer Association.
The headquarters are at Walla Walla. The officers for 1915 were:
Ben Burgunder, president, Colfax; Martin Evans, secretary, Walla
Walla; Levi Ankeny, treasurer, Walla Walla; W. D. Lyman, historian,
Walla Walla. The society has an annual meeting. Documents are col-
lected and deposited in the Whitman College Library. Membership
is restricted to persons who arrived in the Inland Empire or on the
Pacific Coast prior to the year 1885.
Whatcom County. Old Settlers' Association of Whatcom
County. The headquarters of the society are at Pioneer Park, Fern-
dale. The officers for 1916 were: J. B. Wilson, president; T. B.
Wynn, vice-president; Edith M. Thornton, secretary; W. E. Camp-
bell, treasurer ; trustees : Charles Tawes, John Slater, John Tarte, God-
frey Schneider, Porter Felmley, George Baer. The annual gathering,
election of officers, etc., is held in August at Pioneer Park, Ferndale.
The society has a graduated system of membership. Persons who
have resided in the county for ten years are admitted and are known
as "Chechacoes" ; the older members in point of residence are known by
other Chinook jargon titles; the oldest living member in point of resi-
dence is given a special honor badge which remains in his possession
until his death, when it passes to the next oldest pioneer.
Whitman County. Whitman County Pioneers' Association. The
headquarters are at Garfield. The officers for 1916 were: William
Duling, president, Garfield; P. W. Cox, vice-president, Colfax; S. A.
Manring, secretary, Garfield ; William Lippitt, treasurer, Colfax. The
annual meeting is held in June. Membership is restricted to those who
were residents of Washington prior to October, 1886.
Yakima County. Yakima Pioneers' Association. The headquar-
ters are at North Yakima. The officers for 1917, elected on Novem-
ber 4, 1916, are: A. J. Splawn, president; David Longmire, first vice-
president; James Beck, second vice-president; John H. Lynch, secre-
Pioneer and Historical Societies IS
tary ; Mrs. Zona H. Cameron, treasurer ; Mrs. A. J. Splawn, historian ;
directors: Mrs. D. D. Reynolds, Elmer B. Marks, Fred Parker, E. A.
Clemen. The annual meeting is held on the iirst Saturday in Novem-
ber. Regular members.hip in the association is restricted to citizens of
white or Indian blood who were residents in the original County of
Yakima prior to November 9, 1889, and their descendants. Persons
not eligible to membership may become associate members. All docu-
ments are kept in the custody of the historian. The society has worked
in conjunction with the Sons of the American Revolution and Daugh-
ters of the American Revolution to erect monuments on historic sites.
Yakima Columbian Association. This is a Catholic organiza-
tion with headquarters at North Yakima. It has for its object the
care and preservation of the old St. Joseph's Mission in the Ahtanum
Valley. Since 1915 the association has employed a caretaker who
resides on the premises. The present officers are: John Ditter, presi-
dent; R. E. Allingham, vice-president; John H. Lynch, secretary;
H. A. La Berge, treasurer; Pat Jordan, general manager.
Victor J. Farrar.