Skip to main content
Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World
This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in
the world byJSTOR.
Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries.
We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial
Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.istor.org/participate-istor/individuals/early-
JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please
Ahseni for Work at Harvard
Charles W. David, Instructor in European History in the Univer-
sity of Washington, is absent on leave for the third quarter and will
return for full work during the fourth or summer quarter. He will
devote the third quarter to research work at Harvard University,
where he will complete his examinations for the Doctor of Philosophy
degree. His thesis on Robert of Normandy has been accepted and
will be published in the Harvard Series.
Joins the Colors
Victor J. Farrar, Research Assistant in the University of Wash-
ington, has enlisted in the Base Hospital Number 50 under Dr. James
B. Eagleson, major in command. Mr. Farrar is to serve as Registrar
of the base hospital. He was born in the State of Maine on January
1, 1886. His university training was obtained at the University of
Wisconsin, where he obtained the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1911, the
Master of Arts degree in 1912 and then spent two years there as
graduate assistant while doing work toward the Doctor of Philosophy
degree. His position at the University of Washington is saved for
him while "detached on military service." Readers of the Washington
Historical Quarterly are familiar with some of Mr. Farrar's painstak-
ing work. They will all wish him well as he enters this patriotic
service of his country. The history staff now has three men in service.
The other two are Assistant Professor Ralph H. Lutz, a lieutenant
at headquarters. Camp Kearny, California, and Graduate Assistant
H. E. Brown, a yeoman in the United States Navy.
Illustrated Talks in the Training Camps
In the last issue of this Quarterly mention was made of a course
of lectures prepared by the National Board for Historic Service under
the auspices of the Educational Committee of the War Department's
Commission on Training Camp Activities. That work is now in full
swing at all the cantonments in America. Professor Norman F. Cole-
man has been promoted in the Y. M. C. A. work and has headquarters
at San Francisco. His work at Camp Lewis has been divided and the
educational portion goes to Professor Brewer from the Montana Agri-
At the Statue of Washington 159
cultural College. He is now directing the new coarse of illustrated
history lectures. The series is entitled: "The Story Behind the War:
What It Is All About" The titles of the six lectures are as follows:
"The Warring Countries and their Geography; The Growth of Ger-
many and of German Ambitions; The French Republic and What It
Stands For; The British Empire and What It Stands For; How the
War Came About, and How It Developed; The American Democracy
and the War." Each lecture is illustrated with from ten to twenty or
more slides. The four volunteer lecturers are Professor J. N. Bowman,
of the University of Washington; Professor Walter S. Davis, of the
College of Puget Sound, Tacoma; Mr. S. E. Fleming, of the Franklin
High School, Seattle, and Mr. O. B. Sperlin of the Stadium High
School, Tacoma. General H. A. Greene, in chief command at Camp
Lewis, has given his co-operation, which insures success for the plan
so earnestly and carefully matured.
At the Statue of Washington
The Daughters of the American Revolution, under the lead of
Rainier Chapter, of whose committee Mrs. Eliza Ferry Leary was
chairman, the tenth annual celebration was held at the Lorado Taft
Statue of Washington on the campus of the University of Washington
on Washington's birthday. The principal address was delivered by
General Hazard Stevens, son of the first Governor of Washington
Territory, General Isaac I. Stevens. As usual, the exercises were
participated in by the Sons of the American Revolution, the Boy Scouts,
Cadets of the Reserve Officers Training Corps and the Band of the
University of Washington. On account of the Nation being at war
the exercises this year were given an international flavor by the pres-
ence of consuls representing the friendly powers, each of whom brought
a wreath in honor of America's national hero. The countries were
represented as follows:
Belgium, by Samuel Hill, Honorary Consul, and Joseph A. Her-
togs, Vice Consul.
Chile, by Luis A. Santandar, Consul, who also represented Vene-
zuela as Honorary Consul.
Denmark, by M. J. Lehman, Vice Consul.
France, by Pierre D'Humilly de Chevilly, Vice Consul.
Great Britain, by Bernard Pelly, Consul.
Greece, by C. Liliopoulis, Consul.
Norway, by T. H. Kolderup, Vice Consul.
Peru, by J. M. Macedo, Consul.
160 News Department
Russia, by Mr. Kohanowski, representing Nicolas Bogoiavlensky,
Spain, by John Wesley Dolby, Vice Consul.
Sweden, by Carl G. Benson, representing Andrew Chilberg, Vice
The occasion was a memorable one fraught with a feeling of in-
tense patriotism. The invocation was pronounced by Rev. J. O. Foster,
Chaplain General of the Sons of the American Revolution, who had
passed his eighty-fourth birthday.
University Item Presented
Hon. Cornelius H. Hanford has presented to the University of
Washington a small cash book and stubs of checks drawn on Dexter
Horton & Company by Charles H. Larrabee while Treasurer of the
Board of Regents of the Territorial University of Washington, 1878-
1879. The sums of money are relatively small, but the names of
the pioneer men and firms who received them are of great interest.
Most of them, like Henry L. Yesler, J. M. Colman, Crawford &
Harrington, have been dead for many years. The record is an
interesting chapter of the past.