(navigation image)
Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Children's Library | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Additional Collections
Search: Advanced Search
Anonymous User (login or join us)
Upload
See other formats

Full text of "Origin of Washington Geographic Names (Continued)"

STOP 



Early Journal Content on JSTOR, Free to Anyone in the World 

This article is one of nearly 500,000 scholarly works digitized and made freely available to everyone in 
the world byJSTOR. 

Known as the Early Journal Content, this set of works include research articles, news, letters, and other 
writings published in more than 200 of the oldest leading academic journals. The works date from the 
mid-seventeenth to the early twentieth centuries. 

We encourage people to read and share the Early Journal Content openly and to tell others that this 
resource exists. People may post this content online or redistribute in any way for non-commercial 
purposes. 

Read more about Early Journal Content at http://about.istor.org/participate-istor/individuals/early- 
journal-content . 



JSTOR is a digital library of academic journals, books, and primary source objects. JSTOR helps people 
discover, use, and build upon a wide range of content through a powerful research and teaching 
platform, and preserves this content for future generations. JSTOR is part of ITHAKA, a not-for-profit 
organization that also includes Ithaka S+R and Portico. For more information about JSTOR, please 
contact support@jstor.org. 



ORIGIN OF WASHINGTON GEOGRAPHIC NAMES 
[Continued from Volume XL, page 135] 

Mentor, a former town three miles from Pataha in Garfield 
County. It was at one time a candidate for the county seat. Known 
first as Rafferty's Ranch, the town was later named Belfast and in 
1881 the name was changed to Mentor in honor of President 
Garfield's home town in Ohio. (History of Southeastern Washing- 
ton, pages 504-505 and 549.) 

Menzies Island, a former name of the island in the Columbia 
River opposite Fort Vancouver, and on the Oregon side of the pres- 
ent boundry. The name was an honor for Archibald Menzies, 
surgeon and naturalist with the Vancouver Expedition, 1792. On 
May 2, 1825, the botanist Douglas wrote : "Made a visit to Menzies 
Island, in the Columbia River opposite the Hudson Bay Company's 
establishment at Point Vancouver, seventy-five miles from Cape 
Disappointment." (Journal of David Douglas, 1823-1827, page 115.) 
Wilkes in 1841 charted it as "Barclay Island" (United States 
Exploring Expedition, Hydrography, Volume XXIII., Atlas, chart 
72). The United States Government now uses the name Hayden 
Island (Coast and Geodetic Survey chart 6154.) 

Mercer Island, along the Eastern shore of Lake Washington, 
in King County. It was named in honor of Asa Shinn Mercer who 
once owned land there. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, June 30, 1909). 
By the Duwamish Indians the place was called "Klut-use." (J. A. 
Costello, The Siwash.) 

Meredith, a station three miles south of Kent, in King County. 
It was named for some noted man or place in West Virginia by the 
Puget Sound Electric Railway officials in 1905. (Postmaster at 
Christopher, in Names MSS. Letter 73.) 

MerrifiELD Cove, in Griffin Bay, San Juan Island, in San Juan 
County. The name is in honor of Stafford Merrifield, an early 
settler. 

Mesa, a town on the Northern Pacific Railway in the central 
part of Franklin County. The word in Spanish means "table-land." 

Meskill, a town on the Northern Pacific Railway in the west 
central part of Lews County. It was formerly called "Donahue" 
or "Donahue Spur" in honor of Francis Donahue, of Chehalis, who 
owned the land. 

(203) 



204 Bdtnond S. Meany 

Metaune Fai<i,s, a town on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. 
Paul Railway in the south central part of Pend Oreille County. 
The original town was across the Pend Oreille River and was named 
by miners in the golden days of 1849 because they thought the 
entire district was covered with minerals. The noise of the falls 
in the river can be heard in the town which is some distance south of 
the falls. (E. O. Dressel, in Names MSS. Letter 51.) 

Methow, the name of a town in Okanog2m County, of a river 
flowing through that county into the Columbia River, and of rapids 
in the latter river below the mouth of Methow River. The tribe 
of Indians known as Methow formerly living on lands between that 
river and Lake Chelan now has some survivors on the Colville Res- 
ervation. (Bureau of American Ethnology, Handbook of American 
Indians, Volume I., page 85O.) The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, gave 
the name "Barrier River." (Hydrography, Volume XXIIL, Atlas, 
chart 67.) Alexander Ross says the Indian name for the river was 
"Buttle-mule-emauch." (Oregon Settlers, page 150.) As early as 
July 6, 1811, David Thompson wrote the name "Smeetheowe" for 
the tribe he met there. (Oregon Historical Society Quarterly, Vol- 
ume XV., page 51.) In 1853, George Gibbs called the stream Met- 
how or Barrier River. (Pacific Railroad Reports, Volume I., page 
412.) The name as now used has passed through many forms of 
spelling. 

Meyers Fahs, a town on the Great Northern Railway in the 
west central part of Stevens County. It was named for Louther 
Walden Meyers, the pioneer who took possession in June 1866, 
having leased the Hudson's Bay Company mill property. The 
name was applied to the vicinity about 1880 and to the townsite 
in 1890. David Thompson in 1811 called it "Root Rivulet" on ac- 
count of the camas root lands at the head of the river. Later the 
name was "Falls on Mill Creek," or "Hudson's Bay Mills." The 
Wilkes Expedition, 1841, called it "Mill River." Mr. Meyers died 
in I9O9. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, March 3I, I9O9.) His family 
still live in the old home at Meyers Falls. (Jacob A. Meyers, in 
Nafkes MSS. Letter 86.) 

MiCHEi< River, see Mashel Creek. 

MiDCHANNEt Bank, in Admiralty Inlet, probably the same as 
i^Ilen's Bank. 

Middle Bank. One feature by this name is a shoal in the 
Columbia River named by Belcher in 1839 (Report of the Superin- 
tendent of the United States Coast Survey, 1858, appendix 44, page 



Origin of Washington Geographic Names 205 

394). Another is in the Strait of Juan de Fuca near the entrance 
to the Canal de Haro. (Report of the Superintendent of the United 
States Coast Survey, 1862, page %.) 

Middle Channei<, see San Juan Channel. 

Middle Oregon, a name used by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, 
for the Okanogan country. (United States Exploring Expedition, 
Narrative, Volume IV., page 433.) 

Middle Point, on Quimper Peninsula between Cape George 
and Point Wilson, near Port Townsend, Jefferson County. It was 
named by the United States Coast Survey in 1854. United states 
Public Documents Serial No. 784, chart 51.) 

MidvalE, a town in the southeastern part of Yakima County, 
named by the Oregon- Washington Railway and Navigation officials. 
(Postmaster at Sunnyside in Names MSS. Letter 402.) 

Midway, a town north of Cheney in Spokane County named by 
the electric railway about 1906. (C. Selvidge, of Four Lakes, in 
Names MSS. Letter 168.) 

Miles, a town in the north central part of Lincoln County 
named in honor of General Nelson A. Miles who located Fort 
Spokane at the junction of the Spokane and Columbia Rivers. 

(A. E. Lewis in Names MSS. Letter 237.) 

Mill Creek, eleven counties iri the State of Washington have 
streams bearing this name. The most historic one is the tributary 
of the Walla Walla River. Rev. Myron Eells says that the mis- 
sionary. Dr. Marcus Whitman, rebuilt his flowing mill in 1844 and 
the next year went up the stream twenty miles to the Blue Moun- 
tains and there built a sawmill which caused the stream to be called 
Mill Creek. (Myron Uells: Marcus Whitman, page 135.) The Mill 
Creek in Skagit County was named by B. D. Minkler in 1878 when 
he built on that stream the first sawmill in what is now Skagit 
County. (Postmaster at Birdsview, in Names MSS. Letter 130.) 

Mill River, see Meyers Falls. 

Miller Point, see Point Polnell. 

MillerTon, a town in the northern part of Whatcom County, 
named for W. L. Miller, a veteran of the Civil War, who came to 
Whatcom County from Nebraska and engaged in the lumber and 
real estate business. He was mayor of New Whatcom in 1892 and 
owned the townsite of Millerton. 

Mills Creek, near Branham in Thurston County named for 
Charles Mills who proved up on a homestead at the mouth of the 
stream. (Noble G. Rice, in Names MSS. Letter 48.) 

Milton Mills, see Longs. 



206 Edmond S. Meany 

MiNA, a town on the Northern Pacific Railway in the south- 
western part of Thurston County. In that locaUty there are a 
prairie and a creek with the same name. The name is said to 
be an Indian word meaning "a little further along." (Dora E. 
Webb, in Names MSS. Letter 35.) 

Mineral, a town, creek and lake in the northeastern part of 
Lewis County. The town is on the south shore from the lake 
from which it derived its name. (Postmaster at Mineral, in Names 
MSS. Letter 397.) The Surveyor General of Washington Ter- 
ritory in 1857 charted the lake as "Goldsboro Lake." (United States 
Public Documents, Serial No. 877.) 

MiNKLER, a town in the western part of Skagit County. It was 
named in 1897 in honor of the pioneer B. 0. Minkler by members 
of his family. (Matie F. Prenedue, in Names MSS. Letter 34.) 

Minnesota Reef, a ledge of rocks partly uncovered at low tide 
on the eastern extremity of Madrona Peninsula, opposite Turn 
Island, on San Juan Island, San Juan County. The name was given 
in 1898 by Professor Josephine E. Tilden of the University of 
Minnesota. (Walter L. C. Muenscher, in Puget Sound Marint 
Station Publications, Volume I., Number 9, pages 59-84.) 

Minor Island, "a very small, low islet called Minor exists one 
mile northeast of Smith's Island and at low tides is connected with 
it by a narrow ridge of boulders and rocks." (George Davidson in 
Report of the Superintendent of the United States Coast Survey, 
1858, page 429.) 

MiNTER, see Elgin. 

Minter River, see Owl Creek. 

Mis CHIN Rocks. "There are two large rocks near the south 
head of Long Island in the Bay [Willapa Harbor], called Mis chin, 
or Louse Rocks, and the legend is that they were formerly a chief 
and his wife, who were very bad people, and by their magic first in- 
troduced lice among the Indians ; and one day, while bathing, they 
were, by a superior medicine man, turned into stones as a punish- 
ment." (James G. Swain. Northwest Coast, page 174.) 

Mission, a town in the central part of Okanogan County. A 
Catholic mission was established there in 1887. The town now 
supports a high school. (Postmaster at Mission, in Names MSS. 
Letter 299.) Cashmere in Chelan County was formerly called 
"Mission" and a small stream in that locality is still known as 
Mission Creek. The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, placed four missions 
on the map — one at Fort Vancouver, one on Cowlitz Prairie, a 
Methodist mission at Fort Nisqually and a Presbyterian mission at 



Origin of Washington Geographic Names 207 

Walla Walla. (United States Exploring Expedition. Hydro- 
graphy, Volume XXIII., Atlas, chart 67.) 

Mitchell, see Arrowsmith. 

Mitchell's Peak, in Cowlitz County, named for a member 
of the party which climbed the peak in 1887. During the Indian 
war the government maintained a station on the summit, signalling 
to Davis Peak near Woodland and thence to Vancouver. (John 
Beavers, of Congar, in Names MSS. Letter 201.) 

Mnas-a-tas, see Manastash Creek. - 

Mock, a station on the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway 
in the southwestern part of Spokane County. It was named for 
W. C. Mock, chief draftsman in the Principal Assistant Engineer's 
office. (L. C. Oilman in Names MSS. Letter 590.) 

MocuPS, a town near the mouth of a creek bearing the same 
name, on the sea coast in the west central part of Grays Harbor 
County. The word in the Quinault Indian language means a place 
where girls were sent as they were approaching puberty. 

MoH-HA-NA-SHE, See Palouse River. 

Mold, a town in the eastern part of Douglas County. On April 
11, 1899, the postmaster Marshall McLean, chose that name as being 
different from any other in the State and as being descriptive of 
the rich soil in that vicinity. (Marshall McLean, in Names MSS. 
Letter 107.) 

MoNAGHAN Rapids, in the Columbia River near the mouth of 
Nespelem River. The name was given in 1881 by Lieutenant 
Thomas William Symons of the United States Army, while sur- 
veying the Columbia River, in honor of James Monaghan, pioneer 
of Eastern Washington and prominent business man of Spokane. 
(Clinton A. Snowden: History of Washington, Volume V., page 
145.) 

Money Creek, a tributary of the Skykomish River, in the 
northwestern part of King County. It was named because of a large 
sum of money sent by eastern stockholders to develop a mine and 
other resources of the stream. (Postmaster at Berlin, in Names 
MSS. Letter 447.) 

MoNOHAN, a town on the eastern shore of Lake Sammamish, 
in the northwestern part of King County. It was named in honor 
of Martin Monohan, a native of Ohio who migrated to Oregon in 
1853 and later lived four years in Idaho. He came to Seattle in 
1871 and in 1877 took up a homestead where the town bearing his 
name has developed. (Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 25, 1909.) 



208 Edmond S. Meany 

Monroe, a town in the southwestern part of Snohomish Coun- 
ty. In 1878, Salem Woods made efforts to iCstablish a town at Park 
Place, so named on account of the beautiful scenery. John A. Van- 
asdlen arrived in October, 1889, and started a store. The next 
year he secured a postoffice but the Postoffice Department in- 
f onned him that another name would have to be chosen. He prompt- 
ly selected Monroe which was adopted. His widow says so far as 
she knows the name chosen had no speccial meaning or local ap- 
plication. (Arthur Bailey, in Names MSS. Letter 504.) When the 
Great Northern Railway was being built through that valley Mr. 
Vanasdlen and J. F. Stretch platted a town one mile east of Park 
Place and called it "Tye" after a locating engineer of the railorad. 
A station was built there which the railroad officials named "Wales" 
(History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, pages 362-364.) Mr. 
Vanasdlen moved his Monroe postoffice to the new settlement. Mr. 
Stretch persuaded the railroad officials to change the name of their 
station from "Wales" to Monroe. (J. F. Stretch, in Names MSS. 
Letter 578.) The old settlement is still known as Park Place, a 
suburb on the west, under the walls of the State Reformatory. 

MoNTBORNE, a town on the Northern Pacific Railway, in the 
southwestern part of Skagit County. The site was settled upon 
in 1884 by Dr. H. P. Montbome of Mount Vernon. (History of 
Skagit and Snohomish Counties, page 242.) On Kroll's map of 
Skagit County the spelling is "Mt. Bourne." 

Monte Cristo, a mining district and town in the east central 
part of Snohomish County. It was named in dramatic fashion on 
July 4, 1889, by Joseph Pearsall, a prospector who was climbing 
over the hills and saw evidences of minerals. Through his field 
glasses he saw what he believed to be a long and broad streak of 
galena. Waving his arms he shouted : "It is rich as Monte Cristo !" 
From that hour the name was established. (L. K. "Rodgcs -Mining 
in the Pacific Northwest, published in 1897, and quoted in The 
Mountaineer, Volume XL, 1918, page 32.) L. W. Getchell organ- 
ized the Silver Queen Mining and Smelting Company with a cap- 
ital stock of $5,000,000 and became general manager in 1890. A 
railroad was built between the new town of Monte Cristo and 
Everett. (Julian Hawthorne: History of Washington, Volume I., 
pages 437-438.) When the mining interests declined the region re- 
mained famous as a resort for fishermen, hunters and campers. 

MoNTESANO, the county seat of Grays Harbor County. The 
first settler was Isaiah L. Scammon, who came from Maine by way 



Origin of Washington Geographic Names 209 

of California, arriving in 1852. (H. H. Bancroff: Works; Vol- 
ume XXXI., pages 36-37.) When the county of Chehalis (name 
later changed to Grays Harbor) was created on April 14, 1854, 
the Washington Territorial Legislature located the county seat 
"at the house of D. K. Welden (Laws of Washington, 1854, page 
476.) On January 28, 1860, it was relocated "at the place of J. L. 
Scammons." Mrs. Lorinda Scammon, wife of the pioneer was very 
religious and wished to call the place "Mount Zion." At a little fire- 
side council Samuel James, pioneer of Mound Prairie, suggested 
that Montesano had a more pleasant sound and about the same 
meaning. The suggestion was approved and soon afterwards a 
postoflfice was secured with the same name. A few years later, 
S. H. Williams, son-in-law of S. S. Ford, and one of the party 
shipwrecked on Queen Charlotte Island, enslaved by the Haidah In- 
dians, ransomed and rescued by other pioneers, bought sixteen 
acres on Medcalf Prairie and recorded his plat of "Montesano." 
The Chehalis River and a mile and a half of swampy road lay 
between the two places. A town-site war resulted. The county 
seat remained at the Scammon place but population and business 
flowed to the prairie town. The people of the county voted in 
1886 to move the county seat and the Scammon place became known 
as South Montesano. (M. J. Luark, in Names MSS., Letter 548.) 
One of those who platted and helped to build the new town was 
Charles N. Byles. (History of the Pacific Northwest: Oregon and 
Washington, Volume II., pages 239.) The new town had been in- 
corporated by the Legislature on November 26, 1883. 

MoNTicELLO, a former town on the west bank of the Cowlitz 
River, about a mile from its mouth, in the southern part of Cowlitz 
County. It had been a landing place for some years before H. D. 
Huntington in 1849 affixed the name of Monticello in honor of 
Thomas Jefferson's home. The pioneers held a convention there 
in November, 1852, and succesfuUy petitioned Congress for the 
creation of a new territorial government, which received the name 
of Washington. The old town is gone and the property belongs 
to Wallace Huntington. (John L. Harris, of Kelso, in Names 
MSS., Letter 473.) 

Monument, a station on the Spokane, Portland and Seattle 
Railway, in the southeastern part of Franklin County. It is named 
for a rock formation known as Devil's Pulpit and Monument in 
Devil's Canyon. (L. C. Oilman, in Names MSS. Letter 590.) 

Moody Point, see Johnson Point, page 125. 



210 Bdmond S. Meany 

MooHOOi, River, see Grays River, page 103. 

MooNAX, a town on the Columbia River in the southeastern 
part of Klickitat County. Lewis and Clark in 1805 found the 
Indians there had a pet woodchuck and Moonax is the Indian name 
for woodchuck. (L. C. Oilman, in Names MSS., Letter 590.) 

Moore, a postoffice on the east shore of Lake Chelan in the 
north central part of Chelan County. It was named for J. Robert 
Moore who homesteaded Moore's Point and operated a summer 
hotel there for more than twenty years. He was also postmaster 
until his death on August 31, 1909. The entire property was sold 
to H. Frank Hubbard on June 17, 1912. (Postmaster at Moore, 
in Names MSS., Letter 293.) 

Moore's Bluff, see Devil's Head, page 68. 

Mora, a postoffice at the mouth of the Quillayute River in 
the southwestern part of Clallam County. Mr. and Mrs. Frank T. 
Balch named the place Boston but so many letters for Boston, 
Massachusetts, were sent to the little office near the Pacific Ocean 
that K. O. Erickson, the next postmaster, had the ner,' name sub- 
stituted and thus honored his home town in Sweden. (Mrs. Frank 
T. Balch, in Names MSS., Letter 553.) 

Morse Island, north of Henry Island, in the west central 
United States brig Porpoise. (United States Exploring Expedi- 
tion, 1841, in honor of William H. Morse, purser's steward on the 
United States brig Porpoise. (United States Exploring Expedi- 
tion, Hydrography, Volume XXIIL, Atlas, chart 77.) 

Morton, a town in the central part of Lewis County. When 
the postoffice was established it was named in honor of Vice Pres- 
ident Levi P. Morton. (John M. Jones, in Names MSS., Letter 
479.) 

Moses Coulee, extending from the central part of Douglas 
County to the Columbia River. It was named for Chief Moses 
whose tribe made winter headquarters in the coulee near the mouth 
of Douglas Canyon. (Irving B. Vestal, of Palisades, in Names 
MSS. Letter 80.) A stream in the coulee is called Moses Creek. 

MosEs Lake, in the central part of Grant County. It was 
named from the fact that the tribe of Chief Moses used the shores 
of the lake for camping grounds. A postoffice on the shore of the 
lake was named on April 16, 1906, Moseslake. (Jessie MacDonald, 
postmistress, in Names MSS. Letter 37.) 

Mosquito Lake, in the west central part of Whatcom County. 
It was named by surveyors on account of insect pests they there 



Origin of Washington Geographic Names 211 

encountered. (Frank B. Garrie, postmaster at Welcome, in Names 
MSS. Letter 145.) 

Mossy Rock, a town on the Cowlitz River in the central part 
of Lewis County. It was named in 1852 by Mr. Halland after a 
point of moss-covered rock about 200 feet high at the east end of 
Klickitat Prairie. The local Indians had called the prairie "Coulph" 
but the Klickitat Indians came and drove out the white settlers 
one of whom, Henry Busie, killed himself. Since then the prairie 
is called Klickhitat. (N. M. Kjesbin, in Names MSS. Letter 22.) 

MoTTiNGER, a station on the Spokane, Portland and Seattle 
Railway in the southern part of Benton County. When the rail- 
road was built in 1906-1907 the officials named the station out of 
courtesy to the homesteaders there, G. H. and Martha Mottinger. 
(G. H. Mottinger, in Names MSS. Letter, 7.) 

MouATT Reef, in Cowlitz Bay, Waldron Island, in the north 
central part of San Juan County. The name appears on the British 
Admiralty Chart 2840, Richards, 1858-1860. See also Cowlitz Bay. 
This honor was for Captain William Alexander Mouatt, who served 
on various boats for the Hudson's Bay Company. (Lewis and 
Dyden's Marine History of the Pacific Northwest, page 21.) 

Mound Prairie, in the southeastern part of Thurston County. 
Many geologists have given differing theories about the origin of 
the mounds which caused the name of this prairie. One of the 
early references is by the Wilkes Expedition, 1841, as follows: 
"We soon reached the Bute Prairies, which are extensive and cov- 
ered with tumuli or small mounds, at regular distances asunder. 
/ s far as I could learn there is no tradition among the natives rela- 
tive to them. They are conical mounds, thirty feet in diameter, 
about six or seven feet high above the level, and many thoussmds in 
number. Being anxious to ascertain if they contained any relics, 
I subsequently visited these prairies and opened three of the 
mounds, but nothing was found in them but a pavement of round 
stones. (United States Exploring Expedition, Narrative, Volume 
IV., page 313.) 

Mount Adams, in the southeastern part of Yakima County. 
Elevation, 12,307 feet. (Henry Landes : A Geogr aphis Dictionary 
of Washington, page 60.) The first mention of this mountain was 
by Lewis and Clark on April 3, 1806, who refer to it as a "very high 
humped mountain," but do not give it a name. (Elliott Coues' 
edition of Lewis and Clark Journals Volume III., page 923. See 
also The Mountaineer, Volume X., 1917, pages 23-24.) Hall J. 



212 Edmond S. Meany 

Kelley in 1839 undertook to call the Cascades the "Presidents' 
Range" and to rename the peaks for individual presidents. In 
his scheme Mount St. Helens was to be "Mount Washington" and 
Mount Hood was to be "Mount Adams" after John Adams as he 
proposed to call Mount McLoughlin "Mount J. Q. Adams." 
{United States Public Documents, Serial Number 351, House Re- 
port 101, pages 53-54.) The Wilkes Expedition, 1841, on chart 67 
in the Atlas accompanying the volume on Hydrography shows most 
of the peaks but does not include Mount Adams. The Pacific Rail- 
road Reports, 1853 chart the mountain and refer to it frequently by 
the name now in common use. Its confusion with the nearby Mount 
St. Helens, on nearly the same latitude, was at and end. In this in- 
direct way. Hall J. Kelley's plan to honor a president has been ac- 
complished. The author who proposed "Tacoma" as the name for 
Mount Rainier proposed the same name for Mount Adams as 
follows: "Tacoma the second, which Yankees call Mt. Adams, 
is a clumsier repetition of its greater brother, but noble enough to 
be the pride of a continent." (Theodore Winthrop: The Canoe and 
the Saddle, J. H. Williams edition, page 39.) 

Mount Baker, in the central part of Whatcom County. Ele- 
vation, 10,750 feet. (United States Geological Survey.) The In- 
dian name is said to be "Kulshan." The Spaniards called it 
"Montana del Carmelo." The explorer, Vancouver, wrote on April 
30, 1792 : "The high distant land formed, as already observed, like 
detached islands, amongst which the lofty mountain, discovered in 
the afternoon by the third lieutenant, and in compliment to him 
called Mount Baker, rose a yery conspicuous object." (Captain 
George Vancouver: A Voyage of Discovery, second edition. Vol- 
ume II., page 56.) The third lieutenant was Joseph Baker for a 
biography of whom see Edmond S. Meany's Vancouver's Dis- 
covery of Puget Sound, pages 82-83. 

Mount Booker, in Chelan County at the mouth of Stehekin 
River. Mrs. Frank R. Hill of Tacoma, a landscape painter, engaged 
by the Great Northern Railway Company to paint for them some 
pictures to exhibit at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, 1904, 
painted this mountain, which newspaper critics called "No Name 
Mountain." Mrs. Hill then appealed to the proper authorities and 
had the name Mount Booker adopted. She said she wanted to 
honor Booker T. Washington, adding "because the peak itself sug- 
gested the name to me. It is high and lifted up, towering above the 
other mountains surrounding it and inspiring me with its massive 



Origin of Washington Geographic Names 213 

slopes and lofty peaks." {Seattle Post-Intelligencer, April 22, 1904.) 
The elevation is estimated at 7,500 feet. 

Mount Chatham, in the northeastern part of Jefferson 
County, southwest of Port Discovery Bay. The bay had been 
named by Vancouver in 1792 after his vessel and the United States 
Coast Survey named the mountain after Vancouver's armed tender 
Chatham. (Edmond S. Meany's Vancouver's Discovery of Puget 
Sound, page 3.) The Indian name for the peak is O-oo-quah mean- 
ing "crying baby," because, they say, if you point your finger at 
that mountain rain will fall. The elevation is 2,000 feet. {Re- 
port of the Superintendent of the United States Coast Survey, 1858, 
page 422.) 

Mount Cleveland, in the northeastern part of King County, 
south of Berlin. Elevation, 5,301 feet. "Our most conspicuous and 
highest mountain, named when Cleveland was elected, would have 
been named for his opponent if he had been successful." (Postmas- 
ter at Berlin, in Names MSS. Letter 447.) 

Mount Coffin, on the north bank of the Columbia River in 
the southwestern part of Cowlitz County. Elevation, 240 feet. It was 
mentioned by its present name by Alexander Henry on January 11, 
1814. (Alexander Henry and David Thompson, Journals, Elliott 
Coues, editor Vol. II., page 796.) Wilkes described the Indian 
canoes used as coffins and tells of a fire accidentally started by his 
men in 1841. (United States Exploring Expedition, Narrative, 
Volume v., 121.) 

Mount Colville, about eight miles northeast of Colville, in 
the central part of Stevens County. Elevation, 5,667 feet. It was- 
named from the Hudson's Bay Company's Fort Colville. It is 
sometimes called "Old Dominion Mountain." 

Mount Constance, above Hood Canal, in the east central part 
of Jefferson County. Elevation, 7,777 feet. (United States Geo- 
logical Survey, Dictionary of Altitudes, page 1015.) Captain George 
Davidson of the United States Coast Survey named it in 1856 for 
Constance Fauntleroy, later Mrs. James Runcie. She was a woman 
of much talent in literature and music. She died in Illinois on 
May 17, 1911, aged 75 years. (Edmond S. Meany: The Story of 
Three Olympic Peaks, in the Washington Historical Quarterly, 
Volume IV., pages 182-186.) 

Mount Constitution, on Orcas Island in San Juan County. 
Elevation 2,409 feet. Wilkes in 1841 named the island in honor of 
Commodore Issac Hull, who had command of the famous Amer- 



214 Bdmond S. Meany 

ican ship Constitution. To intensify the honor he named the high- 
est point on his "Hulls Island" after the ship and to East Sound 
he gave the ship's pet name — "Old Ironsides Inlet." (United States 
Exploring Expedition, Hydrography, Volume XXIII., Atlas, chart 
77.) 

Mount Dali^as, near the west coast of San Juan Island in San 
Juan County. Elevation, 1,086 feet. It was named by Captain 
Richards of the British ship Plumper, in 1858, in honor of Alex- 
ander Grant Dallas, of the Hudson's Bay Company. (Captain John 
T. Walbran : British Columbia Coast Names ^ page 129.^) 

Mount EtUNOR, two miles northeast of Lake Cushman in 
the northeastern part of Mason County. Elevation, 6,500 feet. It 
was named in 1856 by Captain George Davidson in honor of 
Ellinor Fauntleroy, who later became his wife. (Edmond S. 
Meany: The Story of Three Olympic Peaks, in the Washington 
Historical Quarterly, Volume IV., pages 182-186.) 

Mount Erie, on Fidalgo Island, in the west central part of 
Skagit County. Elevation, 1300. Wilkes in 1841 honored Commo- 
dore Oliver Hazard Perry by giving the name "Perry Island" to 
what is now known as Fidalgo Island. To intensify the honor he 
named the peak after Perry's famous Battle of Lake Erie. (United 
States Exploring Expedition, Hydrography, Volume XXIII., Atlas, 
chart 77.) The name of Perry has been supplanted but the name 
of the mountain persists as in the case of Mount Constitution. 

Mount Finlayson, near Cattle Point, on the southeastern por- 
tion of San Juan Island, San Juan County. It appears on the 
British Admiralty Chart 2689, Richards 1858-1859, where the height 
is indicated as 550 feet. It does not appear whether the honor was 
intended for Duncan Finlayson or Roderick Finlayson, both of 
whom, in the Hudson's Bay Company service, were honored with 
place names in British Columbia. Mount Finlayson does not ap- 
pear on present day charts. 

Mount Fitzhugh, about four miles due east of Snoqualmie 
Falls, in King County. The name appears on the 1857 map of the 
Surveyor General of Washington Territory. ( United States Public 
Documents, serial number 877.) It is probable that Captain Rich- 
ards sought to honor Colonel, afterwards judge, Edmond C. Fitz- 
hugh, who was manager of the Bellingham Bay Coal Company. 

Mount Gladys, near Lake Cushman, Mason County. Eleva- 
tion, 5,700 feet. It was named by a company of campers in the 
summer of 1913, in honor of Gladys, daughter of Chaplain Edmund 



Origin of Washington Geographic Names 215 

P. Easterbrook, of the United States Army. (Seattle Post-Intelli- 
gencer, August 17, 1913.) 

Mount Ikes, in the Cascade Range, just north of Naches Pass. 
The name, while not carried on present day charts, appears on the 
1857 map of the Surveyor General of Washington Territory. 
( United States Public Documents, serial number 877. ) 

Mount Little, see Little Mountain. 

Mount McKay, in Okanogan County, named by the Tiffany 
Boys after one of their associates. (C. H. Lovejoy to Frank Put- 
man, April 6, 1916,in Names MSS. Letter 345.) 

Mount Olympus, highest peak in the Olympic Range, in the 
north central portion of Jefferson County. Elevation, 8,150 feet. 
(United States Geological Survey: A Dictionary of Altitudes, page 
1022.) The mountain was discovered by the Spanish Captain, 
Juan Perez, in 1774 and named by him "El Cero de la Santa Rosa- 
lia." {Pacific Railroad Reports, Volume XII., Part I., page 262.) 
The Spanish chart was not published until years, had elapsed. On 
July 4, 1788, the British Captain, John Meares, saw the mountain 
and named it Mount Olympus. Captain George Vancouver saw the 
mountain in 1792 and charted the name as given by Captain Meares. 
(yoycage of Discovery, second edition, Volume II., pages 41-42.) 
The name has remained on all subsequent maps. 

Mount Pilchuck, ten miles east of Granite Falls, in the cen- 
tral portion of Snohomish County. Elevation, 5,334 feet. (United 
States Geological Survey: A Dictionary of Altitudes, page 1023.) 
The name comes from a nearby creek which the Indians had called 
Pilchuck, meaning "red water." 

Mount Pleasant, a station on the Spokane, Portland and 
Seattle Railway, in the southwestern part of Skamania County. 
It is an old settlement deriving its name from the nearby hills. 
(L. C. Gilman, in Names MSS. Letter 590.) 

Mount Polk, see Mount Baker. 

Mount Rainier, the highest mountain in the State of Wash- 
ington, in the southeastern part of Pierce County. Elevation, 14,- 
408 feet. (United States Geological Survey in Edmond S. Meany's 
Mount Rainier, A Record of Exploration, pages 297-301.) The 
mountain was discovered on Tuesday, May 8, 1792, by Captain 
George Vancouver and named by him in honor of Rear Admiral 
Peter Rainier of the British Navy. {Voyage of Discovery, second 
edition. Volume II., page 79.) As related above, see Mount Adams, 
Hall J. Kelley sought to name the peaks for Presidents of the 



216 Bdtnond S. Meany 

United States. He did not disturb the name of Mount Rainier but 
his scheme was expanded by J. Quinn Thornton who proposed to 
place the name of President William Henry Harrison on that moun- 
tain. (Oregon and California, 1849. Volume I., page 316.) In 
1853 Theodore Winthrop declared the Indian name of the mountain 
to be "Tacoma." {The Canoe and the Saddle, 1862. Pages 43-45 
and 123-176.) The author there frequently mentions "Tacoma," 
which he says was a generic name among the Indians for all snow 
mountains. For that reason he called Mount Adams "Tacoma the 
Second." Later, a city developed on Commencement Bay with the 
name of Tacoma. As that city grew and became 2mibitious there 
arose an agitation to change the name of Mount Rainier to the 
Winthrop name of "Mount Tacoma." That controversy was con- 
tinued for many years with much spirit and some bitterness. The 
United States Geographic Board has rendered two decisions in the 
case, both in favor of Mount Rainier. The first decision was in 
1890 and the second in 1917. On the latter occasion a public hear- 
ing was granted and much information was assembled by both sides. 
It was shown that the agitation had gone so far as to propose the 
name "Tacoma" for the State when it was about to be admitted into 
the Union in 1889. It was further shown that a number of names 
had been used by Indians for the mountain. Dr. William Fraser 
Tolmie, of the Hudson's Bay Company had written in his diary 
May 31, 1833, that the Indians called the mountain "Puskehouse." 
Peter C. Stanup, son of Jonas Stanup, sub-Chief of the Puyallup 
Indians, told Samuel L. Crawford that the name among his people 
was "Tiswauk." This was confirmed by F. H. Whitworth who had 
served as interpreter for the Superintendent of Indian Affairs in 
Washington Territory. Father Boulet, a missionary among Puget 
Sound Indians for many years was authority for the Indian name of 
"Tu-ah-ku" for the mountain. (In the Matter of the Proposal to 
Change the Name of Mount Rainier, by Charles Tallmadge Conover 
and Victor J. Farrar.) As the controversy over the name has con- 
tinued a number of compromise names have been suggested. While 
this is being written (July, 1920,) members of the Grand Army 
of the Republic are framing a campaign to change the name to 
"Mount Lincoln," as an honor for the President, under whom they 
fought in the Civil War. 

Mount Rainier National Park, including Mount Rainier, 
in the southeastern part of Pierce County, created by an act of 
Congress on March 2, 1899. Within the park there are many 
named features. The origins of those names have been published 



Origin of IVashington Geographic Names 217 

so far as known in Edmond S. Meany's Mount Rainier, A Rec\prd 
of Exploration, pages 302-325. 

Mount Saint Helens, in the northeastern part of Skamania 
County. Elevation, 9,671 feet. (Henry Landes: A Geographic 
Dictionary of Washington, page 244.) In May, 1792, Captain 
George Vancouver saw the mountain from Puget Sound. In the 
Tollowing October, while oflF the shore near the mouth of the 
Columbia River he saw it again and named it "in honor of His 
Britannic Majesty's Ambassador at the Court of Madrid. {Voy- 
age of Discovery, second edition. Volume II., page 399.) In the 
Hall J. Kelley scheme for names in the "Presidents' Range," Mount 
Saint Helens was to have been "Mount Washington." It was for 
a time confused with Mount Adams in the same latitude. The 
Indian name is said to have been Louwala — clough meaning 
"smoking mountain." (Oregon Native Son in The Washington 
Historian, September, 1899, page 52.) The volcano is said to have 
been in eruption as late as 1842. (James G. Swan : The Northwest 
Coast, 1857, page 395.) 

[To be continued."]