Skip to main content

Full text of "Kent's part in the war, 1812-1814; "The battle of Caulk's Field.""

See other formats

^ ^^ y^iM "^- ^"^ *-' 





-^^ V 

^^^^ :^#^»^ ^^" : 



^v.^^ -'#IC€: ^-..^^ .'. 

" h 

0* ^^ 


^V „ ^ o "^^ 

/ '3.^' ^^ 



^ -^^ 0^ ! 

1^ « c . *>, .<\ lie •<<> 



^^..^^ .^MC^^o "-....^-^ /jife\ \^^^ 



0^ CO-..V, -J.^ 


< o 

^^c^ oV^^^i.^''- ^^ .-^ 

■- \..y:'M 

''^- -^ •1' A V ■<► 





'^-v^^ .^'^^- 



■i^ ^^^ 

" o 


^- ^<y :<; 



lA \^ 

.* ^ 



















j;^NTS_PART IN T HE WAR 1812-1814 

"the Battle of Caulks Field." 

August 31st. 1814. 






OCTOBER 21ST 1914. 




The Eastern Shore Society 



August 31st, 1814. 


Delivered at the meeting of the Kent County Section 


October twenty-first, nineteen fourteen. 

Mr. President and Gentlemen: — 

It gives me pleasure to comply with the request to relate to you tonight the 
principal facts connected with the battle of Caulk' s Field, which battle was fought 
in the early morning hours of August 31st, 1814, on the soil of historic old Kent. 

Of the land battles of the war with Great Britain, 1812-1814, this one was 
of signal importance upon the result of the Battle of North Point, and the defence 
of the City of Baltimore, (September 12th, 1814). 

The war had been in progress nearly two years and neither country had been 
able to force its conclusion. 

Wearying of the rather desultory fighting at last Great Britain determined to 
make a final effort to terminate the struggle with the United States. In August, 
1814, she directed her war vessels to again enter the Chesapeake Bay. The "Annual 
Register" of 1814, a British publication, says: "The operations of the British Arm- 
aments on the coast of the southern American States had hitherto been on a small 
scale and calculated rather to alarm and irritate than to produce any considerable 
effect, - but in this year the resolution was taken of striking some important blow in 
these quarters." Tactics in that war were similar to those of earlier date and Eng- 
land's policy of burning the defenceless shore towns and villages, as well as the pil- 
'aging of farms that laid along the water courses, was expected by the American 
citizens and soldiers at that time. 

The previous year the British had burned Havre-de-Grace and Frenchtown 
at the bead of Chesapeake Bay. They then went into the Sassafras River and burned 
both Georgetown and Fredericktown - incidentally bringing to light the heroism of 
Kitty Knight. 

The success attending the operations of the British during the early part of_ 
1814 encouraged them to carry out the determination of the Admiralty to strike some 
formidable blow. The army under Maj. Gen. Sir Robert Ross consisted of 4000 
picked troops and these were landed in the Patuxent River about the middle of August. 
They marched upon Washington, burned Bladensburg as they went, and, meeting 
with only a feeble resistance from the American army who were supposed to be 
defending the national capital, the British entered the city, burned the President's house, 
the Capitol, the Navy Yard and the vessels therein. This was on the 24th of August, 
1814. They returned to the fleet in the Patuxent and under the immediate com- 
mand of Vice Admiral Sir Alexander Cochrane proceeded up the Bay to attack 

The city was then the home of the famous "clipper ships" and "privateers" 
that were the persistent foe of the British navy and it was determined if possible to 
capture the city and destroy her shipping. That was the "important blow" spoken 
of in the "Annual Register." 

The Maryland forces were preparing to defend the city and soldiers were being 
drilled throughout the state with the expectation of going to the aid of Baltimore's de- 
fenders when they were needed. Across the Chesapeake on the Eastern Shore, bod- 
ies of volunteers were camped ready to move at a moment's notice. In Kent the 
Twenty-first Regiment of Maryland Militia under Col. Philip A. Reed was encamped 
at Bellair, now known as Fairlee, a little village about five miles from the Bay shore 
and about seven miles west of Chestertown. The regiment consisted of five com- 
panies of infantry, one cavalry and one artillery company, in all just 174 men. They 
had five pieces of artillery and were fairly well equipped with guns, pistols and swords, 
but had only twenty rounds of ammunition for each man. It is needless to say that 
Col. Reed was kept posted by the citizens of the County and he quickly received 
news from the bay-shore farms whenever a strange sail was seen out on the waters 
of the Chesapeake. 

Late Saturday afternoon, August the twenty-seventh, news reached Col. Reed 
that a frigate was headed up the bay about abreast of Swan Point and with her were 
two smaller vessels. A strong southerly breeze filled their sails and they came bound- 
ing up the Chesapeake over the white caps presenting a beautiful sight. This ship 
was the Menelaus" commanded by Captain Sir Peter Parker, Bart. She carried in 
addition to her regular crew about one hundred and twenty soldiers. She was armed 
with thirty-eight guns - only six less than our then famous war ship "Constitution." 

That Sir Peter Parker was ordered to make a "diversion" on the Eastern Shore 
is verified by the following extract from a letter to the Admiralty written September 
1st, 1814, by Vice Admiral Cochrane then on board the Flagship "Tonnant" in the 
Patuxent River. "Captain Sir Peter Parker on the Menelaus with some small ves- 
sels was sent up the Chesapeake above Baltimore to divert the attention of the en- 
emy in that quarter." (Annual Register 1814 page 223). 

The most important part of "diverting the attention of the enemy" was to 

prevent the troops from crossing the Bay to the assistance of Baltimore. Captain 
Sir Peter Parker was ordered to capture when possible the small bodies of Amer- 
ican soldiers, to burn the farm houses along the Bay shore and to harass the people in 
every possible way. 

Following the instructions of his superior officer he brought his vessels to anchor 
late Saturday night off the mouth of Fairlee Creek. Sunday morning, August 28th, 
Captain Parker landed about one hundred men on the farm known as "Skidmore," 
then owned by Mr. John Waltham, where they burned every building on the farm to- 
gether with all the wheat in the granary, as well as in the stacks in the fields. Accord- 
ing to a letter written from Chestertown on September 6th, 1814 to the "Weekly 
Star" published in Easton, Talbot County, Maryland (a copy of this old paper can 
be seen in the library of the Maryland Historical Society) Mr. Waltham sustained 
a loss of eight thousand dollars. On the following Tuesday morning, August 30th, 
the farm belonging to Richard Frisby, Esq., then living in Baltimore, was raided 
and buildings burned. His farm of 422 acres in Kent County just north of Fairlee 
Creek was part of the grant known as "Great Oak Manor." He sustained a loss 
of not less than six thousand dollars. 

That night the "Menelaus" dropped down the Bay and anchored off the 
shore about a mile to the north of the farm on which Tolchester Beach is now lo- 
cated, abreast of "Chantilly" the farm recently owned by Captain William I. Rasin. 
The day had been hot and sultry and the ship's crew as well as the marines wel- 
comed the cool evening breezes off the bay as the vessels swung to their anchors. 

Captain Parker had watched from the deck of the "Menelaus" the golden 
path on the waters of the Chesapeake that led straight out to the great red orb - 
had watched with thoughtful gaze the great red sun set behind the hills of the West- 
ern Shore. His thoughts were of home and loved ones. Far away in his home in 
England his wife and his three little sons, Peter, Charles and George were looking 
forward to his return to them. When Sir Peter was twenty-two years of age (in 
1809) he had courted and married Marianne, second daughter of Sir George Dallas, 
Bart. To her he now sat down and wrote: - 

"H. M. S. Menelaus, 

August 30, 1814. 
My darling Marianne: 

I am just going on desperate service, and en- 
tirely depend upon valor and example for its successful issue. If any 
thing befalls me, I have made a sort of will. My country will be good 
to you and our adored children. God Almighty bless and protect you 
all!-- Adieu, most beloved Marianne, Adieu! 

Peter Parker. 
P. S. I am in high health and spirits." 

That he had a premonition that his end was near is borne out by this very 
touching letter to his wife. Certain are we that he reahzed the risk he was taking 
and as certain are we that he did not shirk what he regarded as his duty. He had 
been told by one of the negroes on Mr. Frisby's farm that morning that about two 
hundred militia were encamped behind a woods about a half mile inland from where 
his vessel lay at anchor. The negro intentionally misled them as the troops under Col. 
Reed were five miles away! Sir Peter Parker determined to surprise and capture this 
body of soldiers later in the night. It has recently been stated in one of the weekly 
papers printed in Chestertown that Sir Peter Parker made the statement on leaving 
the vessel that night that he would eat his breakfast in "Chestertown or h ell " This 
statement is entirely without foundation and is an unwarranted aspersion on the char- 
acter of the man. There is no historical evidence that he even thought of attack- 
ing Chestertown. Captain Sir Peter Parker, his chief officer Henry Crease and his 
Lieutenant Pearce together discussed that evening the proposed attack on the American 
camp. They formed their plans and determined to wait until after midnight to land 
the soldiers and seamen on the shores of historic old Kent. 

The night was hot; the breeze had died out and the mist hung over the water 
almost shutting out the shore along which the little waves chased one another on the 
pebbles. The "lap" of the waves and an occasional plaintive call of a whipporwill in 
the woodland bordering the shore were sounds that added to the oppressiveness of 
the night. 

At Bellair, out in the country about five miles from where the vessels lay at 
anchor, Col. Reed, who had fought the British in the War of the Revolution, dis- 
cussed with his officers and a few of the leading citizens of the County, the plans to 
meet the threatened attack of the British. He had sent pickets to the Bay shore to 
give warning when there was a landing made by Sir Peter Parker. 

About twelve o'clock at night, one of those pickets brought word to Col. Reed 
that Captain Parker "had landed about one hundred and fifty men" and was marching 
eastward out the road past the north end of the "Big Swamp." The moon had risen 
and threw long shadows over the fields, making objects in the mist less distinguishable 
than they otherwise would be. Col. Reed lost no time but ordered the militia to ad- 
vance at once. They proceeded toward the Chesapeake Bay, crossing the "Tulip 
Forest," "Eccleston" and the "Everest" farms and reached the ridge on the high 
ground on Mr. Isaac Caulk' s farm just to the south of his house, at about half past 

To the left of the ridge the main road ran down towards the Bay. To the 
to the right of this road a strip of heavy timber stretched away to the west. Imme- 
diately in front of his position Col. Reed could see the open low land of iVIoore's 
Field" - fifty acres perhaps of cleared land. Here Col. Reed halted his men, forming 
in position to cover the probable advance of the enemy. 

The following letter written by Col. Reed to Brig. Gen. Benj. Chambers gives 
a very excellent description of the arrangement of the troops as well as a fair account 

of the eng-agement and result: 

"Camp at Belle Air. 
3rd Sept., 1814. 

I avail myself of the first moment I have been able to seize 
from incessant labor, to inform you that about half past eleven o'clock 
in the night of the 30th ult. , I received information that barges of the 
enemy, then laying off Waltham's farm were moving in shore. I con- 
cluded their object was to land and burn houses, etc., at Waltham's and 
made the necessary arrangements to prevent them and to be prepared for 
an opportunity which I had sought for several days, to strike the enemy. 
During our march to the point threatened it was discovered that the blow 
was aimed at our camp. 

Orders were immediately given to the Quarter Master to re- 
move the camp and baggage, and to the troops to countermarch, pass the 
road by the right of our camp, and form on the rising ground about three 
hundred paces to the rear - the right towards Caulk' s House, and the left 
retiring on the road, the artillery in the centre, supported by the infantry 
on the right and left. 

I directed Captain Wickes and his Second Lieutenant Beck with 
a part of the rifle company to be formed so as to cover the road by which 
the enemy marched, and with this section I determined to post myself, 
leaving the line to be formed under the direction of Major Wickes and 
Captain Chambers. 

The head of the enemy's column soon presented itself, and re- 
ceived the fire of our advance party at seventy paces distance, and being 
pressed by numbers vastly superior, I repaired to my post on the line, 
having ordered the riflemen to return and form on the right of the line. 
The fire now became general along the whole line and was 
sustained by our troops with the most determined valor. The enemy 
pressed our front; foiled in this he threw himself upon our left flank 
which was occupied by Capt. Chambers' company. Here, too, his ef- 
forts were unavailing. His fire had nearly ceased when I was informed 
that in some parts of our line the cartridges were entirely expended, nor 
did any of the boxes contain more than a fevi' rounds, although each 
man brought about twenty into the fie'd. The artillery cartridges were 
entirely expended. 

Under these circumstances, I ordered the line to fall back to a 
convenient spot where a part of the line fortified when the fev remain- 
ing cartridges were distributed amongst a part of the line, which was 
again brought into the field, where it remained for a considerable time, 
the night preventing pursuit. The artillery and infantry for whom 

there were no cartridges, were ordered to this place (Belle Air). 

The enemy having made every effort in his power, although ap- 
prized of our falling back manifested no disposition to follow us up but 
retreated about the time our ammunition was exhausted. When it is 
recollected that very few of our officers or men had ever heard the 
whistling of a ball; that the force of the enemy, as the most accurate 
information enables us to estimate, was double ours; that it was com- 
manded by Sir Peter Parker of the "Menelaus" one of the most distin- 
guished officers of the British navy and composed (as their officers ad- 
mitted in subsequent conversation) of as fine men as could be selected 
from the British service, I feel justified in the assertion that the gallantry 
of the officers and men engaged on this occasion could not be excelled 
by any troops. 

The officers and men performed their duty. It is however but 
an act of justice to notice those officers who seemed to display more 
than a common degree of gallantry. Major Wickes and Captain Cham- 
bers were conspicuous; Capt. Wickes and his Lieutenant John Beck 
of the rifle corps, Lieutenant Enneck (Everest.?) and Ensign Wm. 
Skirven of Capt. Chambers' company exerted themselves, as did Capt. 
Hynson and his Lieutenant Grant, Captain L^sselton of the brigade ar- 
tillery and his Lieutenant John Reed and Adorgan Brown. Lieutenant 
Tilghman, who commanded the guns of the volunteer artillery in the 
absence of Captain Hands, who is in ill health and from home, was con- 
spicuous for his gallantry; his ensign Thomas also manifested much firm- 
ness. I am indebted to Captain Wilson of the Cavalry who was with 
me for his exertions and also to Adjutant Hynson who displayed much 
zeal and firmness throughout. To Dr. Blake, Dr. Gordon and to Isaac 
Spencer, Esq., who were accidentally in camp I am indebted for their 
assistance in reconnoitering the enemy on his advance. 

You will be surprised. Sir, when I inform you that in an engage- 
ment of so long continuance, in an open field, when the moon shone 
brilliantly on the rising ground occupied by our troops, while the shade 
of the neighboring woods under the protection of which the enemy 
fought gave us but an indistinct view of anything but the fiash of his 
guns, that under the disparity of numbers against us, and the advantage 
of regular discipline on the side of the enemy we had not one man killed, 
and only one sergeant, one corporal and one private wounded, and those 

The enemy left one midshipman and eight men dead on the 
field and nine wounded, six of whom died in the course of a few hours. 
Sir Peter Parker was amongst the slain; he was mortally wounded by 
a buck-.shot, and died before he reached the barges to which he was 

conveyed by his men. The enemy's force consisted of marines and 
musketeers, was in part armed with hoarding pikes, swords and pistols, 
no doubt intended for our tents, as orders had been given by Sir Peter 
Parker not to fire. 

Many of these arms, with rockets, muskets, etc., have fallen into 
our hands, found by the picket guard, under Ensign William Skirven 
which was posted on the battle-ground for the remainder of the night. 
Nothing but the want of ammunition saved the enemy from destruction. 
Attached are the names of the wounded ; and as an act of justice to those 
concerned, I enclose you a list of every officer and soldier engaged in 
this affair. Certain information from the enemy assures us that his to- 
tal loss in killed and wounded was forty-two or forty-three, including 
two wounded lieutenants. 

I am, sir, your most obedient humble servant, 

Phil. Reed, 
Lieut. Col. Commanding." 

"Names of the wounded of Captain Chambers' Company. 

John Magnor, Sergeant, slightly in the thigh; 

Philip Crane, Corporal, a ball between the tendons and the 

bone of the thigh, near the knee. 
Of Captain Page's Company. 

John Glanville, a private, shot in the arm." 

The "Menelaus" and her two companion vessels were withdrawn on Wed- 
nesday night August 31st, after taking aboard the body of Sir Peter Parker and the 
wounded men and an anchorage made across the Bay off Pool's Island. Her Acting 
Commander Henry Crease reported the Caulk' s Field engagement to his superior offi- 
cer, Vice-Admiral Sir Alexander Cochrane. 

Under date of September 1st, 1814, he says in part: "With grief the deepest, 
it becomes my duty to communicate the death of Sir Peter Parker, Bart., late Com- 
mander of His Majesty's Ship "Menelaus" and the occurrence attending an attack on 
the enemy's troops on the night of the 30th ult. , encamped at Bellair. " 

"The previous and accompanying letters of Sir Peter Parker will I presume fully 
point out the respect the enemy on all occasions evince at the approach of our arms." 

"An intelligent black man gave us information of two hundred militia being en- 
camped behind a woods, distant half a mile from the beach, and described their situa- 
tion so as to give us the strongest hopes of cutting them off and securing the largest 
part as our prisoners, destroying the camp, field pieces, &c., and possessing also certain 
information that one man out of every five had been levied as a repuisition on the 


Eastern Shore for the purpose of being sent ove r for the protection of Baltimore 
and who are now only prevente d from crossing the Bay by the activity and vigilance 
of the tender and ship's boats." 

"One hundred and four bayonets with twenty pikes were landed at eleven 
o'clock at night under the immediate direction of Sir Peter Parker, Bart., Captain, the 
first division headed by myself and the second by Lieutenant Pearce. On arriving 
at the ground we discovered the enemy had shifted his position as we were then in- 
formed at the distance of a mile farther. Having taken the lookout picquet (picket) 
immediately on our landing we were in assurance our motions had not been discovered 
and with the deepest silence followed on for the camp. After a march of between 
four or five miles in the country we found the enemy posted on a plain surrounded by 
woods v.ith the camp in their rear; they were drawn up in line and perfectly ready to 
receive us; a single moment was not to be lost, by a smart lire and instant charge we 
comm.enced the attack, forced them from their position, putting them before us in full 
retreat to the rear of their artillery, where they again made a stand showing a disposi- 
tion to outflank us on the right, a movement was instantly made by Lieutenant Pearce' s 
division to force them from that quarter and it was at this time while animating his 
men in the most heroic manner that Sir Peter Parker received his mortal wound which 
obliged him to quit the field and he expired in a few minutes. Lieutenant Pearce, 
with his division soon routed the enemy while that under my command gained and 
passed the Camp. One of the field pieces was momentarily in our possession but 
obliged to quit it from superior numbers. The marines under Lieutenant Beynon and 
Lieutenaut Poe formed our centre and never was bravery more conspicuous." 

'Finding it impossible to close on the enemy from the rapidity of their retreat, 
having pressed them upwards of a mile, I deemed it prudent to retire towards the 
beach which was effected in the best possible order, taking with us from the field 
twenty-five of our wounded, the whole we could find, the enemy not even attempting 
to regain the ground they had lost. From three prisoners (Cavalry) taken by us, 
we learnt their force amounted to five hundred militia, a troop of horse, and five 
pieces of artillery, and since, by fiags of truce, I am led to believe their numbers much 
greater. Repelling a force of such magnitude with so small a body as we opposed 
to them, will, I trust, speak for itself, and although our loss has been severe I hope 
the lustre acquired to our arms will compensate for it." 

This engagement upon the soil of old Kent though participated in by few men 
on either side was hotly contested and no one can accuse either side of being cowardly. 
It is reasonable to suppose that the American forces expected to find at least two 
hundred men on the British vessels under Sir Peter Parker. On the other hand the 
British Captain had been purposely misinformed as to the number of the American 
force opposing them. 

Col. Philip A. P.eed, who commanded the Maryland Militia at this battle of 
"Caulk' s Field" was a native of Kent County and at the time of the Battle was in 
his fifty fourth year. At the age of sixteen he had joined a volunteer company enlisted 


in Kent County by Nathaniel Kennard, Jr. This company was inspected and passed 
for service in the Continental Army by William Henry on July 22nd, 1776, just six- 
teen days after the signing of the Declaration of Independence at Philadelphia. 

Having seen hard service in the Revolutionary War - having risen from private 
to the rank of Captain, Philip Reed returned to his home in Kent at the close of 
the War where he entered in the public life of his county. He was a member of 
the "I. U." Parish of the Protestant Episcopal Church and attended , services in the 
little brick parish church at "I. U." In 1806 he was elected to the United States 
Senate. He served that time one year and was re-elected and served until 1813. 
In that year he was made a Lieutenant-Colonel of the volunteers of the State of 
Maryland, and as previously stated, commanded the 21st Maryland Militia until peace 
was restored with Great Britain. Col. Reed became a charter member of the Mary- 
land Society of the Cincinnati and was elected Vice-president of the Society in 1828. 
He lived to be 69 years old, dying on November 2nd, 1829. He was buried in 
Christ Church Cemetery at "I. U." and a memorial slab marks the grave of this 
one of Kent's most distinguished citizens. 

Captain, afterwards known as Judge, Ezekiel F. Chambers commanded the first 
company of the regiment under Col. Reed. He was born in Chestertown on the 28th 
of February, 1788, acquired his collegiate education at the famous old Washington 
College, where he received his degree. In 1808 he was admitted to the bar, and soon 
developed into an able advocate. He became identified with the local military organi- 
zation and was a loyal and capable soldier, rising, as I have already stated, to be captain 
of his company at the age of twenty-six. 

At the eleilion of 1824 he was sent to the upper house of the Maryland As- 
sembly. The legislature of 1828 eleded him United States Senator, to which office 
he was re-elected in 1832. The following year Yale University conferred upon him 
the degree of L. L. D. To fill a vacancy occurring upon the bench of the Court of 
Appeals, he was appointed Chief Judge of that body in 1834, which place he retained 
until 1857. Owing to ill health he was forced to decline the portfolio of Secretary of 
the Navy, offered to him by President Fillmore at that time. The famous old Beding- 
lield Hands Mansion, facing the Chester River, in Chestertown, became the home of 
Judge Chambers. Here he died in 1866. This beautiful example of Colonial archi- 
te6ture is now the home of W. W. Hubbard, Esq., a member of this society. 

Joseph Wickes was second in command, with the rank of Major. He was a 
brother-in-law to Captain Chambers, and from him is descended two of Kent's prom- 
inent men. Judge Joseph A. Wickes, now in his ninetieth year, and his brother. Judge 
Pere L. Wickes of Baltimore. Col. Joseph L. Wickes of Baltimore and Levvin W. 
Wickes of the State Tax Commission are also descendants. 

Time will not permit reference to the other men who took part in the defence 
of old Kent; we will let this suffice at this time. It is, however, proper to speak of 
the distinguished British officer who was killed in the Battle of Caulk' s Field. As has 
been stated, his body was taken aboard the " Menelaus," and as soon as possible taken 

to Bermuda, and there buried with military honors on October 14th, 1814. The fol- 
lowing Spring his body was taken up and carried to England, where on the 14th of 
May, 1815, it was placed in the Parker family vault at St. Margaret's Church, West- 
minster. While the ceremonies took place at the early hour of six in the morning, 
many notables of the British government were there, to show their respect for the 
memory of this distinguished citizen and soldier. 

Caulk' s Field farm was in possession of Mr. Isaac Caulk at the time of the 
battle. He had inherited the property. It was part of a tract known as "Arcadia," 
which was granted as 1600 acres to Michael Miller, one of the first vestrymen of old 
St. Paul's Church, Kent County. This particular part of "Arcadia" had belonged 
to Isaac Caulk's uncle, John Moore, and upon the death of Mr. Moore, in August, 
1812, the property became Isaac Caulk's. The War Department records at Wash- 
ington call the engagement the Battle of Moorefield '^ or Caulk's Field/' It is also 
thus spoken of in "Niles' Register". The bricks in the gable of the old Caulk's 
Field House show that it was built in 1743. It is one of the oldest buildings now 
standing in Kent, and is now owned by Mr. E. J. Watson. 

On the initiative of the late Rev. Chris. T. Denroche, in 1902, then rector of 
St. Paul's Parish in Kent, a handsome granite battle-marker was placed beside the 
main road that leads from Chestertown to Tolchester, on "Caulk's Field." Assist- 
ing Mr. Denroche in raising the necessary funds to erect the marker were Capt. Col- 
umbus A. Leary, Charles C. Hopper of Kent, Col. Wm. M. Marine, James. E. Carr, 
Jr., Mr. Thomas Hill and W\ H. Gill of Baltimore. 

That there can never be oflFence given to those who by chance should pass that 
way the monument bears the following inscription: 




Among the old papers now in the Hbrary of the Maryland Historical Society 
we find a list of officers and men who were in the adion at Caulk's Field on the 
night of the thirtieth of August last under Col. Reed," in the issue of October 4th, 
1814, of the Republican Star or General Advertiser, published at Easton, Talbot County, 
Maryland. The names of the companies and the men in each company are as follows: 

Of Capt. Chambers' Company: 

Ezekiel F. Chambers, Captain 
Thomas Eunick, Lieutenant 
William Skirven, Ensign 

Alford, Aaron 

Bordley, Thomas 

Benton, Benjamin 

Chambers, David 

Chambers, Benjamin Lee 
Crane, Philip 

Coleman, Isaiah 

Coleman, James 

Comegys, Jvcmuel 

Constable, Robert 

Coleby, Edward 

Dugan, Thomas 

Dunk, Alexander 

Deal, Samuel 

Elliott, William 

Falls, David 

Floyd, Samuel 

Gooding, James 

Griffith, Samuel 

Haltzman, George 

Hickenbottom, James 

Herbert, Zabedel 

Haley, James 

Jones, John 

Kennard, Richard 

Kennard, Thomas J. 

Kemp, John (drummer) 
Lassell, William S. 

Lasell, William C. 

Magnor, John (sergeant) 

Mansfield, James 

Miller, James D. 

Notts, William 

Rumney, Samuel 

Russell, Theophelus 

Robinson, James 

Toulson, Andrea 

Usselton, John 

Vickers, James 

Vickers, Jesse 

Watts, George 

Wickes, Joseph (4th) 

Wickes, Thomas 

Of Capt. Hand's Company: (Capt. Hand was too ill to serve). 

(Volunteer Artillery). 
Henry Tilghman, Lieutenant 
Richard S. Thomas, Ensign 
Barnes, Robert Nichols, Jeremiah 

Brown, James F. Parsley, Arthur 

Copper, Henry Ringgold, James, Jr. 

Eccleston, John B. Redue, Joseph 

Edwards, James Robertson, Henry 


Elbert, Samuel 
Gibbs, Joseph 
Hyland, William 
Hague, William 
James, Thomas J. 
Maslin, James 
Middleton, James 
Martin, William 
McGuire, Robert 

Staveley, Wilson 
Seymour, Richard 
Tonson, Nathaniel 
Taylor, Thomas 
Vickers, Thomas 
Wilcox, James 
Wilmer, Lemuel 
Wilmer, John R. 

Of Capt. Wickes' Rifle Corps: 

Simon Wickes, Jr., Captain 
Joseph Brown, First Lieutenant 

John Beck, Second Lieutenant 

Airy, John Pearce, John 

Beck, Peregrine Rolinson, Levin 

Beck, John Sparks, Bazilla 

Coleman, Samuel Stokes, Horatio 

Dowling, Eliphar Smith, James 

Fricks, Richard Smith, Richard 

Fellingham, Robert Swift, Elisha 

Hartley, Thomas Tharp, James 

Hyland, John Urie, Henry 

Jones, John Wickes, Samuel C. 

Kennard, Richard Yates, James 
Lamb, William 

Of Capt. Griffith's Company: 

Samuel Griffith, Captain 
Joseph Thomas, Lieutenant 
Baker, Samuel De Course, Barney 

Brown, Hiram Harriss, Jonathan 

Crouch, John Jones, David 

Crouch, James Kendall, William 

Dank, Henry Simmonds, George G. 

Of Capt. Hynson's Company: 

Thomas B. Hynson, Captain 
Richard Grant, Lieutenant 
Hague, William Shaw, James 

Love, Robert Warum, John 

Whaland, Peregrine 


Of Capt. Pace's Company: 


Ashley, George 

Alloway, Gabriel 

Beck, Elisha 

Benton, Benjamin 

Benton, Thomas 

Bryan, Stephen 

Coving:ton, Thomas 

Covington, Jesse 

Coleman, Ezekiel 

Clark, Jesse 

Cleaves, Nathan 

Crouch, Thomas 

Collin, Robert 

Downey, James 

Dudley, Nicholas 

Wickes, Lieutenant 
Miller, Ensign 

Dunn, John 
Eagle, James 
Frisby, William 
Glanville, John 
Hynson, Benjamin 
Humphrey, John 
Hudson, James 
Ivry, William 
Legg, James 
Miller, William 
Simons, William 
Spencer, Thomas 
Warum, Abraham 
Wickes, William, Jr. 
Yearley, John, Jr. 

Artillery Company 
Aquilla M. Ussleton, Captain 
John Reed, Lieutenant 
Morgan Brown, Lieutenant 
Apsley, William, Jr. Nicholson, Edward 

Apsley, Dulaney Pennington, Benedict 

Carroll, Philip Rasin, Siras 

Cannon, Edward Rasin, Philip, Jr. 

Dugan, John Stewart, Henry H. 

Forman, Ezekiel LTssleton, James 

Gedley, Joseph Ussleton, William T. 

Hatcherson, James W^ickes, Mathias 

Leatherberry, Charles W^eaver, William 







^-^ A^ *jr • <tp <i'^ » 







V "^ ^r 

* .^"^ -^ 









/ -^^ ^<^ ^^«^i^.* ^ 

y ^ - 

^^ ^oV^ r 


c\ aO .''*°- '^> V *i.VL% <^ aO *\'°' 

v^ *rt 

•^^ '°* ' " A^ <^ *' •• ^' A 

o xOr.. '^^^^^i^^: .40^ \ 





s " 


O. 'o . . * A <v . . . . 




'. ^-,.^^ z,^--. \./ .%m, %/ .-^'^ \/ ••' 


>!• "^ 



V .1 

•' '5'j, 



%:^f;^ ..^ 

^* ^^ ^^. 



.< O.