'. , ****
Saturday, May 14
8:00 a.m.— Senior Class Chapel Service.
8:15 p.m.— Commencement Play— 'Wuther-
ing Heights" in High School
Sunday, May 15
10:30 a.m.— Baccalaureate Service— Sermon by
4:00 p.m.— Senior Music Hour in New
7:00 p.m.— Commencement Vespers— Sermon
by M. le pasteur Marcel Prader-
vand. Executive Secretary, World
Monday, May 16
8:00 a.m.— Chapel Service— Distribution of
2:30 p.m.— Tennis Match— Maryville vs.
8:15 p.m.— Commencement Play — "Wuther-
ing Heights" in High School
Tuesday, May 1 7
8:00 a.m.— Chapel Service— Musical Program.
3:00 p.m.— Reception for Alumni, Seniors,
to Parents of Students, Faculty,
5:00 p.m. Other Guests by President and
Mrs. Lloyd at the President's
7:00 p.m.— Annual Alumni Dinner in Col-
lege Dining Hall.
9:00 p.m.— Band Concert on the Campus.
Wednesday, May 18
8:30 a.m.— Spring Meeting of the Directors
of Maryville College.
10:30 a.m.— Graduation Exercises, 130th
Year— Conferring of Degrees and
Certificates; Address to the Grad-
uates by Rev. Dr. E. Fay Camp-
bell, Secretary, Division of High-
er Education, Presbyterian Board
of Christian Education.
OFFICERS OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
1948 - 1949
President Earl W. Blazer, '30
Vice-President A.B. Waggoner, '14
Recording Secretary Winifred Painter, '15
Class of 1949: Mrs. Earl Blazer, '31; Mrs. Ray Foster, '20; Mr. Marvin Minear, '39.
Class of 1950: Mrs. Arthur Bushing, '42; Mrs. John Carson. '17; Mr. Leslie Webb Jr.. '33.
Class of 1951: Mr. Arnold Kramer, '40; Mr. Joe L. Marshall, '28; Mrs. Clyde Murray, '13.
Published by Maryvil]
Ralph Waldo Lloyd
ond-class mail matter.
Act of October 3, 1917
by Maryville College.
Acceptance for mailing a
authorized February 10,
May 24, 1904, a
rate of postage
3, Tennessee, as sec-
for in Section 1103,
ullj? Alumni |!r?aft?nt'H iltefiag?
Dear Fellow Alumni: . ntion has been active
be brought together, i together ? ormer *;.„ Hater. Some of
H hei pful. " Ho rea^ interest in our AgJ^^ and plans
= SHSlirsr.;rr;s.s i— — - -
touch "Uh the College. M^ville College Clubs
throughout the unx dertalcin g Won t yo
suggestions in ^advisable in youi area.
?hlt a club would be on the Hill
T ,e campaign to raise funds to build ^ne t he
has b een in V^iV^mlSi College througout the ^^
campaign to ^^f this bulletin Pr e si dent £0^ Svery one
States, Elsewhere in tni pha3e of the prog gen erously.
our plans for approach ng J urge y0 u to re y cnape l
b ecause you have .« _ *SSSfof
or j^tiv VS^^^^hx^^€
l\TJ^ff^3V^ll fhofe^ch^sheu ueys ana hy
r.-llvln. ,-g ^associations an* plans,
sharing lu the ue 0or<Jla lly yours,
Jtoattont Sllngin |Jag?
A letter went out from the College in April over the names of the Presidents of the College and the Alumni Associa-
tion. It and the enclosure gave the Commencement schedule. As this is written Commencement is still ahead of us, hut
when it is read Commencement will be over. This magazine gathers up some of the news of the year and I am permitted
to include this personal communication.
The number of seniors receiving degrees on Commencement Day is expected to be 111. There are eleven others
who received their degrees at the end of the first semester (December 22, 1948), and there are eleven who expect to
complete their graduation requirements in some summer school during the next few months. If these numbers ma-
terialize the Class of 1949 will total 133. The average during ten years before World War II was 120.
This will bring the total number of living graduates of Maryville College to 3360. They live in every State in the
Union with the possible exception of one and in many foreign countries. Approximately six hundred live in Blount
and Knox Counties near the College, and eight hundred in the eastern Adantic seaboard States. More than half of you
have graduated since I came to the presidency in 1930. We are indeed a growing family.
Alumni Chapel Campaign
May I call the serious attention of the "family" to the statement on the opposite page concerning plans for extending
the chapel rebuilding campaign to all alumni. I sincerely trust that every one of you will make a subscription when the
request comes in these next weeks. Such a trust, even such an expectation, is reasonable. It is difficult to imagine a
living graduate of Maryville College who would not wish to contribute to the building of a Chapel now.
Fine Arts Center
As indicated in a special article on another page, we hope to begin construction of the new Fine Arts Center before
fall. Of course, exorbitant building costs may cause delay but we are hoping it will not be so. As we approach the times
when we may be able to rebuild the Chapel and construct a Fine Arts Center, we should realize with deep gratitude
this fact: that to replace the cherished Voorhees Chapel we are planning not only a new and larger chapel building
but also an entirely new Fine Arts Center. The two will multiply the facilities we had before the fire. The total cost
will be more than $700,000, of which, in the providence of God, we have $500,000 in sight.
Aluminum Company of America
We have been gratified and helped by the magnificent gift of the Aluminum Company of America to endow a Pro-
fessorship in Chemistry. Elsewhere in this issue is a more detailed report of this gift. We desire that an increasingly
significant cooperative program will result from this generous support given by our great industrial neighbor.
As the Year Closes
It is a startling fact that four college years have passed since V-J Day. Some of the things Maryville hopeo. to ao soon
after the war have been done. But some yet remain. We constantly plan for the future, but plans sometimes are elbowed
aside by the urgencies of each day. Life and work with our 916 students this year is interesting and challenging but
it is demanding also. And it is for them we are here. It is for others like them that we plan and ask alumni around the
world to plan.
fyulpt /CinL^Lc ^t^-
ALUMNI AND THE CHAPEL
The time has come when all graduates and former students
everywhere must be asked to contribute toward rebuilding the
Chapel. Those who live in the Maryville and Knoxville communi-
ties had opportunity last fall to make subscriptions and many did
so. A few who live at a distance have sent gifts but until now
there has been no general appeal to the three thousand graduates
or to others who live beyond our local communities.
An Alumni Campaign Soon
A campaign to secure contributions from every graduate and
every former student will start in June and will continue through
October. It has been approved by the Directors of the College
and the Executive Committee of the Alumni Association.
In due time all who read this will receive a brochure contain-
ing the plan of giving. In areas where there is a sufficient concen-
tration of alumni, a program of personal contact will be organized
by fellow alumni with the help of some of us from the campus.
Alumni who cannot be reached in this way will receive pledge
cards by mail to be returnedby mail.
The Chapel Fund Passes $200,000
The building cost of the Elizabeth R. Voorhees Chapel forty-
three years ago was the unbelievably small sum of $34,000. When
it burned in 1947 the College received approximately $75,000
from insurance. That is more than twice the original cost, but is
of course far below the estimated cost of $400,000 for the new
Samuel Tyndale Wilson Chapel. The new building must be fire-
proof, should be a third larger than the old Chapel, and if
built anytime in this generation it cannot escape inflated prices.
During the months following the fire about $25,000 in
pledges and gifts was received from various friends. Last fall
campaigns were conducted in the Maryville and Knoxville Com-
munities from which came gifts and pledges totaling nearly
$100,000. Thus, with the insurance the grand total on hand in
money and pledges is approximately $200,000.
The Share of the Alumni
It is now necessary to ask alumni and former students all over
the world to provide the other $200,000 which we must have in
After the Chapel burned and before the walls fell.
sight before the Chapel can be built. A considerable number of
alumni who live in the Maryville and Knoxville areas have al-
ready given through the community campaigns, but most of those
living elsewhere have not been asked to give to the Chapel until
now. In this article we are not asking for gifts but are announcing
that such an appeal will be sent forth soon.
A Noble Memorial
As stated in the April, 1948 issue of this Bulletin, the new
Chapel will be named for Dr. Samuel Tyndale Wilson, fifth
President of the College (1901-1930). Dr. Wilson graduated
from the College in 1878, was a professor here for seventeen
years before becoming President, and was fourteen years President
Emeritus before his death in 1946. His life was closely bound up
to that of Maryville College for sixty-five years. The Samuel
Tyndale Wilson Chapel will be an exceedingly appropriate and
worthy memorial, and will help to perpetuate the name of the
man who in fact, more than any other person, has made the
Maryville College which we know. And it will be a memorial
of maximum usefulness throughout the coming generations.
It is sincerely hoped that every person who reads these words
will give the utmost amount possible. This is necessary if the
Chapel is to be rebuilt.
-Ralph W. Lloyd
Ruins of Fine Arts Studio
THE FINE ARTS CENTER
Preliminary plans for the Fine Arts Center have been ap-
proved and working drawings are being prepared by Schweikher
and Elting, Architects, Chicago. The time schedule now calls
for completion of the working drawings by early June and the
submission of bids about July. If building conditions are not
too unsatisfactory we hope that construction can be started in
late summer. There is still considerable economic uncertainty in
our country and no one can foresee conditions of materials and
labor, but we are aiming at this schedule.
The Fine Arts Center will be located on the open ground
which now constitutes part of the golf course at the north
corner of the campus, across the roads from Baldwin Hall and
the Chapel site, toward the Southern R.R. station. The building
will be of brick with extensive use of plate glass on the north
and east sides and in the foyer of the auditorium. Selected woods
will appear in several interior uses.
The design is distinctively contemporary and functional. Over-
all length of the building from southwest to northeast is about
three hundred feet (the length of a football field) and there
are three perpendicular wings. The height will be one and two
The plans provide teaching studios for Music and Art, class-
rooms, music practice rooms, an art gallery, art work rooms, a
fine arts library, offices, a lounge with kitchenette, radio control
room, band and orchestra rehearsal rooms, an auditorium seating
about 275 for music recitals and concerts, and an outdoor theater.
The facilities for dramatic art and choir rehearsal will be on the
ground floor of the Chapel, which is to be a separate building.
The Fine Arts Center will be a memorial to Ann Baldwin
Lloyd, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Glen A. Lloyd of Chicago,
who died suddenly the day after our Chapel burned two years
The 1949 February Meetings were very successful and brought
true blessing to the campus. Pictured in the Alumni Gymnasium
where, of course, the morning services were held, are President
Lloyd, Dr. S. E. Stringham, the song leader, Dr. Howard Moody
Morgan, the leader of the Meetings, and Dr. Henry Barraclough,
Five new Maryville College clubs have been organized since
the last issue of the Alumni Bulletin. President Lloyd was present
at each place to speak concerning the College and to help with
the organization, and at two of the places, Cincinnati and Louis-
ville, Earl W. Blazer, '30, president of the Alumni Association,
and Mrs. Blazer were also present.
The Metropolitan Maryville College Club was organized in
New York City on November 5. Fifty-three persons gathered at
the Hotel New Yorker for dinner. The following officers were
elected: Ralph B. Teffeteller, '32, chairman; William S. Quig-
ley, '36, vice chairman; and J. O. Henderson, '22, secretary-
treasurer. The second meeting of the Club is being held in May.
If you live in the New York area and are not in touch with this
group, send your name and address to Mr. Henderson, whose
address is 30 Pierce Street, New Rochelle, New York.
The Ohio Valley Maryville College Club is the name under
which alumni of Cincinnati and southern Ohio and northern
Kentucky reorganized on December 2. A dinner meeting was
held at the University of Cincinnati YMCA. Officers elected
were: Robert W. Bishop, '26, chairman; Robert C. Borcer,
'36, vice chairman; Alfred H. Davies, '41, secretary-treasurer,
whose address is 2441 Malvern Avenue, Dayton, Ohio.
The Louisville Maryville College Club was formed at a
meeting held at the central YMCA in Louisville on December
3. An enthusiastic group of alumni from as far away as Frank-
fort, Kentucky, gathered for dinner and a program. James M.
Brown, '26, was elected chairman; Irvin K. McArthur, '47, vice
chairman; Peggy Caldwell Smith, '45, secretary-treasurer. Mrs.
Smith may be addressed: Mrs. Charles C. Smith, 1926 Win-
ston Avenue, Louisville, Kentucky.
Northern Ohio Maryville College Club came into being at
a meeting of thirty-five alumni in Cleveland on April 8. The
meeting was held at Old Stone Church on the Public Square,
where dinner was served by women of the church. The officers
are: chairman, Arthur R. Kinsler, Jr., '24; vice chairman,
Robert W. Tripp, '34; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. Albert Slawson,
'37 (Jeanne Fenn), whose address is 3198 West 71st Street,
Cleveland 2, Ohio.
The Michigan Maryville College Club is the youngest of the
fourteen now active. It was organized at a dinner meeting in
the Women's League on the campus of the University of
Michigan, Ann Arbor, April 9. As the accompanying picture
will show, there had been a planning meeting in Detroit some-
time before. The following are the officers who were elected:
Paul Armstrong, '24, chairman; Mrs. Edward T. Raney, ex '33
(Margaret Melody), vice chairman: Phyllis Irshay, ex '45,
secretary-treasurer. Miss Irshay's address is 11611 Nardin. De-
troit 4, Michigan.
The Fourteen Clubs
There are about fourteen active Maryville College Clubs in the
United States; the club names and chairmen are listed below.
In at least two other centers organization plans are afoot at this
writing. In addition to these there are a few other areas where
there are sufficient concentrations of alumni for clubs and steps
toward organization are to be taken. Membership in Maryville
College clubs is open not only to graduates but to all who have
at any time attended the College.
Duncan J. Crowley. '36. chairman
Alumni in Detroit laying plans for the Michigan meeting. Left to
right: Wilson McTeer, '25, R. A. N. Wilson, Jr., '23, John K. Tope,
'33, President Lloyd, Margaret Melody Raney, '33, Allan W.
Herdman, '30, and Edward T. Raney, '31. Paul Armstrong, '24,
took the picture.
Chattanooga Maryville College Club
Joe B. Hacker, '32, chairman
Golden Gate Maryville College Club
Andrew Wade Morton, '01, chairman
Louisville Maryville College Club
James M. Brown, '26, chairman
Maryville Highlanders oF Atlanta
William F. Buchanan, '11, chairman
Maryville College Club of Birmingham
David M. Hall, '42, chairman
Maryville College Club of Southern California
Robert C. Butts, '48, chairman
Metropolitan Maryville College Club
Ralph B. Teffeteller, '32, chairman
Michigan Maryville College Club
Paul Armstrong, '24, chairman
National Capital Maryville College Club
Homer E. McCann, '32, chairman
North Carolina Maryville College Club
Hiram S. Balch, '15, chairman
Northern Ohio Maryville College Club
Arthur R. Kinsler, '24, chairman
Ohio Valley Maryville College Club
Robert W. Bishop, '26, chairman
Western Pennsylvania Maryville College Club
H. Gordon Harold, '27, chairman
Rebecca Bigger, '25, to Dr. John B. Haskins, December 31, 1948.
Weldon Hina, ex '33, to Naomi Woods, '34, October 30, 1948.
Elizabeth Hope, ex '36, to Robert Munn, June 19, 1948.
Harriet Huffstetler, '36, to Robert Gillespie, '38, April 30, 1949.
Grace Jarnagin, '43, to Dr. Robert N. Cooley, July 1, 1948.
Edith Monroe, '43, to Charles Vernon Landis, October 21, 1948.
Kathleen Rainwater, '43, to Milton Carter Edwards, December 24,
Jeanne Scheibell, '43, to John Kendall Cousens, October 15,
Lenore Mae Wise, '44, to H.B. Shearer, August 15, 1948.
Charles Colville, Jr., ex!,45, to Freida Jane Lutz.
Virginia Gillette, '45, to R. William Gorton, June 22, 1948.
Mary Batchelor, '46, to Dr. David John Seel, ex '46, May 18,
Estelle Edmison Bryan, ex '46, to Harold Hill, December 7, 1948.
Carl Best, ex '47, to Gladys* Browning, September 11, 1948.
Robert Hunter, '47, to Lora C. Nesbitt, January 14, 1949.
Dorothy Louise Justus, '47, to Andy Letus Sprinkle, October 15,
Edward A. Voorhees, Jr., '47, to Loretta Nunn, '48, August 27,
Barbara Wells, '47, to Walter McMurray Pate, ex '50. Feb-
ruary 22, 1949.
Ardeth Christine Wilson, '47, to Louis R. Renison, November 5,
Julia Pancoast, '48, to James A. Householder, ex '50, December 28,
Martha Lois Scanlon, '48, to Warren Nelson Ernest, '48, October
Marguerite Priest, '49, to Robert Rosensteel, December 27. 1948.
Myrtle Lawyer, ex '50, to Robert S. Williamson, August 28, 1948.
Sarah Margaret Vawter, ex' 50, to Charles Prescott Barnes,
August 30, 1948.
Betty Lou Walker, ex '50, to Nevin D. Wherrell, December 18,
Kenneth Boram, '51, to Anne Schwarzkopt, December 28, 1948.
Frances James, ex '5 1 , to Robert E. Miller, December 25, 1948.
MARRYVILLE COLLEGE IN GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
Maryville College is one of fifty colleges listed in an out-
standing article entitled, "Is the Small College Your Answer,"
written by James W. Hampton of Bloomfield, New Jersev. and
published in the April, 1949 number of Good Housekeeping.
The article is well written around the thesis that youth and
parents will find in a large number of highly accredited colleges
which do not enroll more than 1500 students and do not charge
more than $1,000 a year, an answer to the higher education
problem which has come from large enrolments and high fees.
Fifty "good, small colleges" of the kind recommended are
selected for illustration and description. Maryville is one of
these. The author calls Maryville "a topnotch small college."
It is impressive to discover that only one college in the list
announces the annual cost to the student as less than that at
Alumni will find it profitable to read this article.
ALPHA GAMMA SIGMA
Thirteen seniors were elected to membership in Alpha Gamma
Sigma, Maryville's honor scholarship society, this year. Two of the
thirteen graduated a t Christmas— Irma Jean Benedict and
David Park Hostettler. The others are as follows: Grace Ellen
Cross. Barbara Leigh Eggleston, William Joseph Elzey, William
Harold Hunter, Juanita Jeane Johnson, Edwin C. Pancoast, Ches-
ter William Phillips, John Morris Poland, Charles Nelson Robin-
son, Richard Howard Sprague, and Sara Kiger Wilson.
The Aluminum Company of America presented a check for
$100,000 to Maryville College in February. It is being used to
endow a Professorship in Chemistry "on the Aluminum Com-
pany of America Foundation."
This is a truly magnificent investment in the Christian
education program of the College by the world's pioneer and
present largest manufacturers of aluminum; the Alcoa, Tennes-
see, operations of the Company, within sight of the College,
constitute the world's largest aluminum works.
In his letter transmitting the gift, President Roy A. Hunt
of the Company wrote from Pittsburgh to President Lloyd of
the College in part as follows:
"We have always been impressed with the soundness of edu-
cational policies practiced by Maryville College in the prep-
aration of its students for citizenship; more so because not all
educational institutions have seen their objectives as clearly nor
adhered as closely to their ideals in the achievement of these
objectives. . . .
"We hope that, not only through this grant but by reason of
our long established confidence and understanding, our relation-
ships will continue to be mutually beneficial to your fine college
and our organization."
In acknowledging the gift President Lloyd wrote in part as
"Maryville College is profoundly grateful for this magnificent
gift of $100,000 by the Aluminum Company of America. It
helps to meet an essential need of the College. Also it indicates a
confidence in the work of the College on the part of the Com-
pany, which is a near neighbor, that is very encouraging. . .
"We at Maryville College have long held the Aluminum
Company of America in great respect not only because it makes
these great contributions (employment, business advance, com-
munity welfare) to all this area, but also because in its operations
it has consistently maintained high ethical standards. Its deal-
ings are fair dealings. Its support of community ideals has
been widely marked.
Dr. Lloyd and Dr. McCreery and the Check.
"Church colleges, like Maryville, can be great community
assets and have helped to make America great only when sup-
ported by gifts of people and business firms that believe in the
freedom and the necessity of Christian education."
Public announcement of the gift was made on March 3 and
the next morning Mr. Ralph M. Ferry, Manager of Tennessee
Operations, and Mr. Albert D. Huddleston (a Maryville
College man). Regional Manager of Public Relations, spoke
at chapel. The accompanying pictures were taken in February
when the check was presented and plans for the Professorship
were discussed. Dr. O. C. McCreery, Chairman of the Com-
pany's College Relations Committee, and Dr. Francis C. Frary,
Director of Research, came from Pittsburgh to bring the gift,
and with Mr. Huddleston and Mr. Ferry represented the Com-
pany in talking over plans with officers of the College.
Roy A. Hunt, President, Aluminum Company of America. After
graduating from Yale University he began with the Company as
a mill clerk at the New Kensington, Pa., works and rose steadily
through various positions until he became President in 1928.
Pictured in the President's office at the College are, left to right,
President Lloyd, Dean Hunter, Dean McClelland, Judge John C.
Crawford, Recorder of the College's Board of Directors, Mr. A. D.
Huddleston, Regional Manager of Public Relations, Dr. Francis C.
FACULTY NEWS AND NOTES
Miss Jessie K. Johnson, Assistant Professor of English, is on
Sabbatical leave this semester to study at Columbia University.
She will be back on the campus in the fall.
Dr. Griffitts, Professor of Chemistry, has been serving this
year as president of the East Tennessee Section of the American
Chemical Society. In June the East Tennessee Section will be
host to a large regional convention in Oak Ridge.
The Tennessee Philological Association, at the invitation
of the faculty of the Division of Languages and Literature, held
its annual meeting here in March. One feature of the meeting
was a delightful presentation of scenes from "The Beggar's
Opera" arranged and presented by Professor Lindsey of the
University of Chattanooga with the assistance of the Maryville
College music department. Miss Catharine Wilkinson, Associate
Professor of French, was elected president for the ensuing year.
Many faculty members have attended meetings of national
organizations. President Lloyd attended the meetings of the
Presbyterian College Union and the Association of American
Colleges in January; he and Dean McClelland attended the
Southern Association of Colleges meeting, and he, Dean Mc-
Clelland, Miss Massey, Dean of Women, and Mr. Henry, Acting
Treasurer, attended the Tennessee College Association meeting
in Nashville. Mr. Henry also attended the Southern Association
of University and College Business Officers meeting in Berea,
Kentucky. Mrs. Kramer and Miss Davies also went to Nashville
to the Tennessee College Association and to meetings in ele-
mentary education and music respectively. Last fall Dr. Briggs
attended a meeting of all directors of Teachers' Workshops in
Tennessee. During the Christmas vacation Dr. Queener went
to the American Historical Association meeting in Washington,
Miss Davies to the National Association of Schools of Music in
Chicago, and Mr. Ainsworth to the American Political Science
Association in Chicago. In April Miss Lightfoot attended the
national convention of the American Association of Collegiate
Registrars in Columbus, Ohio, and Miss Henry attended the '
D.A.R. Congress in Washington. Miss Grierson went to the
Tennessee Library Association meeting in Gatlinburg. Dr. Case,
Mrs. Pieper, and six of their sociology students attended the
Southern Sociological Society, which met in Knoxville this
Other activities of the faculty have been varied. Mr. Hughes
gave an organ recital at Clinton, Tennessee; the ministers on
the faculty are in constant demand as preachers in the churches
of this area; under the direction of Mr. Engelhardt, students in
Frary, Director of Research, Dr. O. C. McCreery, Chairman of
the College Relations Committee, and Mr. R. M. Ferry, Manager
of Tennessee Operations.
one of his classes have organized the first chartered Negro Boy
Scout troop in Blount County. Dr. Queener wrote an article,
published in the East Tennessee Historical Publication, on the
change of sentiment on secession in Tennessee between February
and June, 1861; The School Musician carried an article by Mr.
Hughes entitled "The Business of Conducting."
Mrs. West, who retired in 1947, had a serious operation in
March but is now up and about again.
Dr. Ralph S. Collins, who formerly taught modem languages
at Maryville, and Mrs. Collins were recent visitors. After a term
of service as a vice-consul in Germany, Dr. Collins is at Colum-
bia University this year studying Russia and the Russian lang-
uage. He and Mrs. Collins and their three children expect to
leave for Russia in July.
Miss Rachel Armstrong, on the Home Economics faculty
from 1934 to 1943, is now in Chattanooga working in the
Federal School Lunch Program.
HIGH SCHOOL DAY
High School Day for the seniors of the Blount County high
schools was held on the campus April 29. The project was
sponsored by the Blount County Chamber of Commerce in
cooperation with the College and the high school principals.
Approximately four hundred seniors were present at the
opening meeting at 9; 45 in the Alumni Gymnasium. After a
brief program of introductions, music, and explanation, the
assembly was divided into vocational-interest groups in which
discussions were conducted by leading business, industrial, and
professional men of the community. Ten separate group dis-
cussions were held, each covering a group of related vocations.
Following the discussions a barbecue lunch was served by
members of the Chamber of Commerce, with "seconds" and
"thirds" available for all. A tour was conducted to points of in-
terest on the campus. Unfortunately, a tennis match with Milli-
gan College, and a baseball game with Emory and Henry Col-
lege, which had been planned to round out the day's activities,
could not be played because of rain.
Reaction to High School Day was favorable, both from the
high schools and the community. The fact that the vocational
discussions were gauged to meet the needs of all seniors, regard-
less of their further educational plans, created additional interest
and comment. Consideration is being given to the idea of making
High School Day an annual event and enlarging its scope.
Here And There
Andrew Wade Morton of California visited the College
recently. He was enroute to Africa for a two month's stay. Dr.
Morton is eighty-one years old and is still a practicing physician.
O. H. Logan and his wife (George Ella Simpson) visited the
College campus in January. They are now living in Belle, West
D. W. Proffitt was a delegate to the first annual National
Council of Presbyterian Men in Chicago, February 11-13, and
was elected vice-president for the area which includes Tennessee,
North and South Carolina. Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Missis-
sippi and Louisiana.
Mrs. D. W. Proffitt (Gray Webb), who has held many
positions of responsibility in the women's organizations of the
Presbyterian Church, has recently been appointed a member
of the Board of Christian Education of the Presbyterian Church,
U. S. A.
Catharine Wilkinson, Associate Professor of French at Mary-
ville College, was elected President of the Tennessee Philolo-
gical Association at the annual meeting of the group held at the
College March 4 and 5.
Mrs. Jancer Lawrence Tweed (Ashton Clayton, ex'20) has
been for the past two years editor of the Ohio DAR News. The
Tweeds live in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Mr. Tweed is a member
of the law firm of Hammond and Tweed in Akron.
Mrs. T. A. Askew (Jeannette Hibbert) is now living in Rich-
G. Hurst Paul, ex '21, is Business Manager of Green Mountain
Junior College in Poultney, Vermont.
Percy Buchanan is Professor of Oriental History at the Uni-
versity of Oklahoma. In December he was the speaker at the
Founder's Day dinner of Phi Beta Kappa, speaking on the sub-
ject "East is East."
Lee R. Herndon is head of the Chemical Laboratory of the
North America Rayon Company in Elizabethton, Tennessee.
The following is from a recent issue of The Branched Chain,
publication of the East Tennessee Section of The American
Chemical Society: "Dr. Hemdon has several patents to his
credit among which are patents on prevention of shrinkage of
cellophane during drying and adhesion of cellulose fibers to
rubber. The later was a secret process used during the last war
and has only recently been issued."
Charles N. Sharpe, who was pastor of the Presbyterian Church
in Milan, Tennessee, has accepted a call to the First Presby-
terian Church in Cookeville, Tennessee.
Mark Comett (Prep. '23), according to information received
in March, has been for several months a patient at the University
Hospital in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He is suffering from a rare
disease, his being the third case on record at the hospital. Mark's
wife and children, Francis, 13 and Julia Ann, 9, live in nearby
Willow Village. Mark would greatly appreciate hearing from
Ethel DeHaven is doing secretarial work at a government air-
field in Fairfield. Ohio.
Mrs. Edward Jandy (Lorene Smith), in a letter to the
Alumni Office in which she brought us up to date on several
of her classmates, stated that she and her husband and fourteen
year old daughter, Gail, visited the campus last August when
they were enroute to Miami, Florida for their vacation.
Mts. Howard W. Newton (Winona Wade Johnston) is teach-
ing English in Conniston Junior High School in West Palm
Beach, Florida. Her husband's work is with the Social Security
Office. The Newtons have two daughters; the older one will enter
Maryville next fall.
Mrs. Chester C. Cook (Virginia Clark) and her husband are
building a new home in Dawson Springs, Kentucky, where
both are employed in the Veterans Hospital.
Edward G. Cornelius and his wife (Annie M. Fisher ,'27)
are living in Ruston, Louisiana, where Dr. Cornelius is Chair-
man of the Marketing and Management Division at Louis-
iana Polytechnic Institute.
J. E. Fawcett is on the staff of the Presbytery of Pittsburgh.
He is Assistant to the Superintendent as Director of Missions.
Garnet Leader of Birmingham. Alabama, is national Vice-
president of Kappa Pi, honorary art fraternity. In December she
installed and presented the charter to the newly organized
chapter at State Teachers College at Jonesboro, Arkansas.
George K. Neff is now pastor of the Columbia Avenue Pres-
byterian Church in Sheffield, Alabama.
Robert W. Bishop, who is Dean of Men at the University of
Cincinnati, has recently been elected President of the National
Association of College Honor Societies.
Maryann Ilasz is still in Y.W.C.A. work, but has transferred
from New Haven. Conn, to Cincinnati, Ohio.
Miser Richmond is a member of the faculty of Tennessee
Polytechnic Institute at Cookeville, Tennessee. Mrs. Richmond
(Christine Painter, '24) is teaching home economics in the
W. C. Burris writes that he is teaching a class of twenty
veterans On-the- Farm-Training at Doak High School at Tus-
culum, Tennessee. He says also that he has a daughter who
will be ready to enter Maryville next fall.
Wallace C. Merwin, ex '27. and his family were evacuated
by air from Peiping to Shanghai on December 1 2th. The three
older children came to the United States and the two younger
are staying with their parents. Wallace is giving half time to
the National Christian Council and half time to the Associated
Mission Treasurer's office.
Mrs. Joe Phillips (Elizabeth Crow) is doing graduate work
at the University of Tennessee. She is state president-elect of
the American Association of University Women.
Mrs. P. J. Stokes (Imogene Crowley) has recently left Mary-
ville to make her home in Tampa, Florida.
William T. Swaim, Jr., ex '28, of Mount Holly Springs,
Pennsylvania, is a candidate for Governor of the 181st District
of Rotary International.
Inez Burns was a member of the House Committee of the
Fifty-eighth Continental Congress of DAR which met in Wash-
ington, D. C. in April.
Russell Gilmore, pastor of Warren Memorial Presbyterian
Church in Louisville, Kentucky, was the Vespers' speaker at
the College on April 24.
F. Alvin McCann and his wife (Barbara Lyle, '32) and
family have moved to Millersville. Pennsylvania, where Alvin is
Assistant Professor of Biology at Millersville State Teachers
Merle Beebe writes from Great Falls, Montana: "I have
specialized in child welfare work in the general field of social
work and have been in Montana for the past five years. The
work continues to be stimulating and satisfying."
Ralph Teffeteller, who for the past two years has been Di-
rector of the Henry Street Settlement, in New York City, is
continuing his work there. He visited the College last fall and
was quite impressed with the added attraction on the "hill"-
the Student Center.
Hugh H. Hannah and his wife (Anne Trewhitt) are living
in Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania. Hugh has recently been
transferred by the Aluminum Company of America to its plant
in Cressona, Pennsylvania, where he is Personnel Manager.
Clifton E. Moore is radio pastor of the First Congregational
Church in Los Angeles, California.
Mrs. Ella K. Booker (Ella Martin Kilgore) is working as
cashier for the Western Kentucky Gas Company in Danville,
Madison Byar and his wife (Ruth Peery, '33) and two sons
have recently come to Maryville to make their home.
Malvern Clopton and his wife (Carrie Lou Tweed) are living
in Nashville, Tennessee, where Malvern is Assistant Manager of
the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company's office.
John E. Phay is now Director of the Bureau of Educational
Research and Associate Professor of Education at the University
of Mississippi. He received the degree of Doctor of Education
from Teachers College, Columbia University, in 1946.
Hugh E. Powel, who has been Regional Director of Religious
Education for the Synod of Florida, is now pastor of the First
Presbyterian Church in Oakland, Florida.
Randolph Shields and his wife (Arta Grace Hope) are living
in Emory, Virginia. Randolph is Associate Professor of Biology
at Emory and Henry College.
Michael P. Testa and his wife (Christine Holscher, ex '44)
are in Portugal, having been appointed by the Board of Foreign
Alma J. Whiffen, '37, in her research laboratory at the Upjohn
Company, Kalamazoo, Michigan.
RESEARCH DISCOVERY BY ALUMNA
The November 22nd issue of Time magazine and other period-
icals carried articles concerning a new antibiotic, Actidione,
discovered by Dr. Alma J. Whiffen, of the Upjohn Company
research staff. This antifungal antibiotic was discovered by Dr.
Whiffen in her search for an antibiotic effective against fungi
responsible for human disease. In preliminary experiments with
Actidione, prevention and cures within 48 hours of powdery mil-
dew of bean plants, roses, and tomato leaf have already been re-
ported, and investigation is now under way on a large scale to
define the antifungal range of Actidione against many fungus
diseases of plants and to delineate methods of use in control
After graduation from Maryville in 1937, Miss Whiffen studied
at the University of North Carolina, receiving both her master's
and her doctor's degrees there. In 1942 she was granted a fel-
lowship by the National Research Council for a year's study
at Harvard University.
Missions of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. to work in co-
operation with the Joint Committee on Evangelical Co-operation.
Their address is Avenida Almirante Reis, 260 R/C Esq., Lisbon
Douglas M. Carhart has accepted a call to be pastor of the
Presbyterian churches of Horicon and Hustisford, Wisconsin.
He will begin his work there on June 1, 1949. He and his
wife (Estelle Green, '36) and family will live in Horicon,
which is about fifty miles northwest of Milwaukee.
Phyllis Dexter will receive her Master's degree in English
from the University of Tennessee in June.
William C. Frishe and his wife (Eleanor Pflanze, '36) are
now living in Potsdam, New York, where Bill has recendy taken
up his duties as Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
in Clarkson College of Technology.
Edward V. Lodwick is with the Wm. S. Merrell Company,
Pharmaceutical Manufacturers, working in the Cleveland area.
He lives in Bay Village, Ohio.
Mrs. Morris Muskat (Fern Metzger) visited Maryville friends
in April, while her husband was attending a meeting at Oak
Mrs. Jose del Nero (Elizabeth Peterson) in a letter to Mrs.
Hugh Crawford, Jr. (Dorothy Nethery) says that her two-
year-old daughter speaks Portuguese more fluently than English.
James R. Smith, his wife and two children were severely in-
jured in an automobile accident on October 16, as they were on
their way back to Knoxville from the College. We are glad
to be able to report that all have now recovered. "Jimmy" and
his vounger daughter paid a visit to the CoDege and to the
Alumni Office recently.
Mrs. Troy Organ (Lorena Mae Dunlap), her husband and
two children spent several days in the Smoky Mountains this
William S. Quigley and his wife (Elinor Ackerman, ex '39)
are living in Nyack, New York, where Bill is pastor of the Re-
Mr. and Mrs. M.H. Gamble have an adopted daughter. Gale
is four and a half years old and has been living with the Gambles
since August, 1947.
Mrs. Richard S. Glidden (Joan Dexter) is now living in Los
When you are in Lewistown, Pennsylvania, visit Fahne-
stocks' Restaurant at 1010 South Main Street, where Bill
Fahnestock, ex '38 and his brother are proprietors.
Paul H. Fox is Assistant General Sales Manager (Aluminum
Division) of the Reynolds Metal Company in Louisville,
Edward H. Gillingham is employed by the William S.
Scull Co., Camden, New Jersey, as Chief Chemist in the
Research and Development department.
Gus Hernandez will be at Duke University this summer as
a visiting associate professor of Spanish.
John Knox Coit has been appointed Head of the Philoso-
phy and Psychology Department of the Associated Colleges of
Upper New York for 1949-50. He will be located at Champlain
College in Plattsburg, New York. At present Knox is at Sampson
College in Geneva, New York.
Mrs. Nathan F. Drake (Edith Gillette) is attending San
Francisco Theological Seminary at San Anselmo, California.
Edward Armstrong Jussely, Jr. has been awarded the Whitner
Memorial Fellowship at Columbia Theological Seminary. The
fellowship provides for a year of advanced study at an ap-
proved American or European University.
Mr. and Mrs. Gale Hedrick, ex '40, visited the campus in
March. Their home is in Riverside, Illinois. They have three
children— a daughter, Penelope, and twin boys, Brook and Brad.
Elsie Klingman has transferred from the Dwight Indian
Training School at Vian, Oklahoma to Government Indian
School in Tuba City, Arizona.
James Howard Thompson was awarded the Ph.D. degree by
the University of Pittsburgh on January 27, 1949. He is at
present Assistant Professor of Economics and Business at West
John B. Astlcs was the author of an article about W. A. Scott,
founder of San Francisco Theological Seminary, which appeared
in the June issue of the California Historical Quarterly. John
is pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Gridley, California.
Kenneth Leroy Duncan is now pastor of the Presbyterian
Church in Alexandria, Pennsylvania.
Phil Evaul and his wife (Margaret Cloud, '39), after a year
of language study in Colombia, (South America), were assigned
to their first charge in January. They are in Rancagua, Chile,
which is in the province of O'Higgins and south of Santiago. Phil
writes that he is "thrilled with the field and its possibilities."
His work is in the camps of the Braden Copper Mining Com-
pany, which are in the Andes mountains. He says "it requires
a good heart and good legs" since all travel is on foot because
there is no level ground and there are no streets, but long
flights of stairs to reach the houses constructed on the sides
of the mountains.
Marion Adele Kelly is teaching commercial science at Louis-
burg College, Louisburg, North Carolina.
J. D. Hughes (Lieutenant) was a visitor on the campus in
April. He is in the Aviation Branch of the Navy.
Vernon Lloyd received his degree from the School of Law
of Yale University in February.
John Melvin Magee and his wife (Margaret Sisk, '40) are
living in Decatur, Georgia. John is pastor of the Panthersville
Presbyterian Church and is doing graduate work at Columbia
Joseph B. Magill is with Sears, Roebuck and Co. in Lima,
Ohio, training to be a store manager.
Arthur Peterson, in a Christmas greeting to Ted Pratt, '43,
wrote that he and his wife (Marianna Allen) were eagerly
anticipating the beginning of their work in Brazil. After a period
of language study they were expecting to be appointed to their
first charge in February. By way of a letter from his sister
Elizabeth (see 1935) we have learned that the Petersons are
now in Vitoria, Brazil. They were formerly in Juiz de Fora, Minas.
Eldon Seamans has moved to Waterloo, Iowa, where he is
pastor of the Northminster Presbyterian Church.
Mrs. J. Brookes Smith (Bemeice Tontz) is studying Pub-
lic Health at the University of Michigan.
Jack Zcrwas and his wife (Helen Cone, '42) are in Minot,
North Dakota. Jack is pastor of the First Presbyterian Church,
which is host to the meeting of the Synod of North Dakota
Elizabeth Pascoe is now employed as Home Economics Ad-
viser for the Public Service Electric and Gas Company in West
New York, New Jersey.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Prewett (Ruth Lane, '42) have adopted
a baby girl. Cynthia Ann was bom October 2, 1948 and came
to live with the Prewetts on February 5. 1949.
Robert E. Schwenk. Jr. ex '42, is a field executive of Boy
Scouts of America. He is located in Schenectady. New \ork.
Paul J. Sieber (Major) and his wife were visiting on the
campus recently. Paul is in the Army Medical Corps and is
stationed at Fort Mead, Maryland.
Henry Wick was graduated from the University of Pennsyl-
vania School of Law in February.
Clyde R. Brown was installed as pastor of the Presbyterian
Church of Gettysburg. Pennsylvania on January 19, 1949
The charge to the pastor was given by the Reverend William
T. Swaim, Jr. ex '28.
Arthur Bushing and his wife (Dorothy Barber, '42) plan to
be in Iowa City, Iowa again this summer, where Art will con-
tinue his graduate study at the Universitv of Iowa.
Katherine Crews, who is at Eastman School of Music, working
toward her Master's degree, has received a fellowship for the
year 1949-50. She will be an assistant in the orchestral depart-
Sydney Duke, ex '43, has recently been discharged from the
Army. He and his wife (Aura Santiago) are visiting his family
in Arlington, Texas at the present time.
Cecil O. Eanes is now pastor of the Presbyterian Church at
Kenova, West Virginia.
Charles Foreman, (1st Lt.) is taking a course in Industrial
Administration at the USAF Institute of Technology, Wright-
Patterson AF base, Dayton, Ohio.
Mrs. Jonathan Hamersley (Janet Brown) is working in the
Released Time Program of the New York City public schools.
William J. R. Hargrave is working for the Perkins-Elmer
Corporation. He does testing and research with electrical
Mrs. Earl H. Lamken (Nola Pauline Johnson) and her
husband received their Master's degrees from San Francisco
Theological Seminary in May, 1948.
Hal Lloyd wrote from the Philippines in November of a
trip to Catubig in northern Samar, which was accomplished by
plane, boat, launch, and finally, on foot. Hal's address is now
Tacloban, Leyte, Philippine Islands.
Robert K. Lockwood received the LL.B degree from George
Washington University on November 11, 1948. He is now
working as a lawyer for the American Surety Co. in Washing-
ton, D. C.
Olson Pemberton and his wife (Jean Patterson), in a letter
to their friends, presented an over-all picture of their work in
Brazil (Xanxero, Santa Catarina). They would greatly appre-
ciate any used sports equipment (for baseball, Softball, basket-
ball, volleyball, football), no matter how old. Send it to the
Shipping Department, Board of Foreign Missions of the Presby-
terian Church, U.S.A., 156 Fifth Ave., New York, New York,
with a note indicating that it is to be sent to the Pembertons.
Willa A. Reed is Staff Dietitian at the Veterans Hospital in
Mrs. D. E. Rowan, Jr. (Mary Morgan, ex '43) is now living
in Dallas, Texas.
Gabriel G. Williamson is pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church in Seward, Nebraska.
Bruce Wilds, ex-'43 is working on a Master's degree in
psychology, and, since March 1948, serving as a Vocational
Counselor in the YMCA of Pittsburgh. Prior to that he was
for eight months a Junior Psychologist in the Western State
Jefferson I. Breazeale was graduated from the University of
Tennessee College of Medicine with a B.S. in Pharmacy, in
December, 1948. He is now employed at Byrne Drug Co. in
William P. Clear received the D.D.S. degree from the
University of Tennessee College of Medicine in December. He
is now practicing dentistry in Jefferson City, Tennessee.
Dana Dering Cox, ex '44 is attending medical school at the
University of Pittsburgh.
Elizabeth McConnell'is Staff Dietitian at the Veterans Ad-
ministration Hospital in Butler, Pennsylvania.
John Cameron Taylor and his wife (Aldyn Graham, ex '47)
are living in Frostburg, Maryland, where John is in his third
year as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church. He is also
active in various civic organizations such as the Rotary Club
and the Junior Chamber of Commerce. Mrs. Taylor is soprano
soloist in churches in the area.
Lois Collett is Y. W. C. A. Associate at the Tiffin, Ohio
Y.M.-Y.W.C.A. She is in charge of women's activities and co-ed
Jessie L. Fowler, ex '45, is doing private duty nursing in her
home town of Nanty-Glo, Pennsylvania.
The news was received last fall that Mrs. Glenn Griffin (Betty
Hoagland, ex '45) was suffering from tuberculosis and would
have to be hospitalized for at least a year. Her friends can write
to her at 187-08 Nashville Blvd., Springfield Gardens 13,
James P. Hodges, ex '45, and his wife, (Catherine Crothers,
'46) are living in Dixiana, Alabama. Jim is physician for a mining
company there and does private practice also.
Robert E. Seel is pastor of the Whitestone Presbyterian Church
in New York.
Madeline Cooke, ex '46, was a recent campus visitor. She
received her B.Sc. in Education from Ohio State University, and
has been teaching Latin, Spanish and English at Bellevue High
School in Bellevue, Ohio.
Mr. and Mrs. George Hipkins, ex '49, (Nellie Cuellas, '46)
brought their small daughter to visit Maryville recently.
Mrs. Richard F. Scruggs (Margaret Cross) is studying religious
education at Presbyterian College of Christian Education in Chi-
cago, while Dick, '48, is doing graduate study in hospital ad-
ministration at Northwestern University. They are living at
The 1949 May Queen, Virginia Lee Hand, senior from Alcoa. The
theme this year was Uncle Remus on the old southern plantation.
Curtis Wright will attend tie University of North Carolina
this summer. He is beginning work toward the Ph. D. degree
Mary Elizabeth Barnwell is teaching at Judson College in
Lilybel Gunn writes from Cleveland, Mississippi, that she
plans to attend Union Seminary in New York for six weeks
this summer. She is interested in becoming a director of religious
Frank Kramer received his Master's degree in Business Ad-
ministration from the Wharton School of the University of
Pennsylvania in February. He and his wife (Ruth Lloyd) took
a trip to the west coast, during which they visited several former
Maryvillians. While in California they visited Dr. and Mrs.
Paul Wendt (former faculty) in Oakland, Mr. and Mrs. John
Griffiths (Doris Murray, '43) in Attadena, and Rev. and Mis.
Lester Bond, '15, in San Diego. Enroute home they were guests
of Rev. and Mrs. John McQueen, '34 (Lillian Crawford, '37)
in Meridian, Mississippi.
Pauline Lickteig will receive her M.S. in Home Economics
from the University of Tennessee in June. She has accepted a
position as Assistant Professor of Home Management and Director
of the Home Management House at Louisiana Polytechnic
Institute in Ruston, Louisiana.
Owen McGarity is pastor of the First Presbyterian Church
in Ashmore, Illinois.
Edward A. Voorhees is working toward his Ph. D. in mathe-
matics at Vanderbilt University and teaching two classes in
mathematics. His wife (Loretta Nunn, '48) is teaching in the
Junior High School in Nashville.
Rella Anderson will receive her Bachelor of Music degree
from Converse College in May.
Donald Conkle is Principal of the Green School District in
Monroe County, Ohio.
Elsie Jean Cotton was a recent visitor at the College. She
was taking a brief vacation from her job as Assistant Librarian
in the School of Social Work at the University of Pittsburgh.
George Gillette took advantage of the spring vacation at
Princeton Seminary to return to Maryville.
Harold Kidder, ex '48, and his wife (Catherine Sisk, '46) are
living in Dexter, New Mexico, where Harold is teaching. He
received his Master's degree in music from Peabody College in
William O. Largen expects to receive his Master's degree in
physical education from the University of Michigan in June.
Sam Pemberton and his wife (Lissette Gessert, '45) are
living in Maryville. Sam is employed by the State Health
Mary Edna Smith, according to the latest information we have,
is teaching in the True Light Middle School in Canton, China.
She was formerly in the Fuhsiang Girls School in Changsha,
Hunan, from which area it has been necessary for most
Americans to be evacuated.
Marion Swift called at the Alumni Office recently. She has
just finished a business course and is waiting an appointment
from the Presbyterian Board of National Missions.
This year's activities in public speaking have been the best
since the wartime period.
A large number of applicants for both the freshman and tie
varsity teams were interested and tried for a place in the pro-
gram this year. Nine persons were admitted into the freshman
group. These persons were given the opportunity to participate
in one forensic meet and each participated in at least one con-
test in a freshman tournament which was sponsored by Mary-
ville College again this year.
The varsity teams were composed of thirteen people chosen
by means of contests among the applicants. The contestants
took part in six college and university forensic tournaments
this year. Debate teams and individual orators, extem-
pore, impromptu, and after dinner speakers were sent to
Tennessee State and the South Atlantic Regional tournaments.
The highlight of the year's events was the National Pi Kappa
Delta convention at Peoria, Illinois. One debate team and two
individual speakers attended from Maryville. A "superior rating"
ind a "good rating" were brought home.
An increased interest in forensic activities was noticeable
this year, probably due to some debates held on the campus as
well as to the attractive program of tournaments to be attended.
George Dewey Howell, Pro-
fessor of Chemistry, began his
twenty-sixth year of service on
the Maryville College faculty last
September. At the 1949 Com-
mencement, therefore, he is com-
Jf' pleting his twenty-sixth year. He
^g^^« -^m -~ graduated at Maryville in 1^22.
' ; R \ I taught here two years, spent a
fHE ^B> ^B ASfc year at Vanderbilt University
and received his Master's degree, and returned to the faculty of his
Alma Mater to stay.
John Herbert Kiger, Assistant
Professor of History, completed
twenty-Five years of service in
January, 1949. He graduated at
Maryville in 1919, received a
Master's degree from the Univer-
sity of Cincinnati in English and
A ~*~W±' ^_ one f rorn Ohio State University
^^ iH§ ^ I at Lane Theological Seminary.
At Maryville he taught Bible during the first half of his twenty-
five years and has taught History during the last half.
Mr. Kiger is the thirtieth person in Maryville College history
to serve as long as twenty-five years. Of these, fifteen are still
active full-time members of the faculty and staff - Mrs. Black.
Mr. Walker, "Brownie" Brown, Dr. Davis. Mrs. Wrinkle. Ralph
Irwin, Miss Henry, Dr. Hunter. Miss Heron, Miss Wilkinson. Dr.
Orr, Mr. McCurty, Coach Honaker, Mr. Howell. Mr. Kiger.
Rev. John Baxter Creswell, '87. (see page 16)
Charles E. Ellis (Prep. 1880-85) died February -24, 1949 at
Vunore, Tennessee. He was a brother of the late Prof. Horace L.
Ellis, College Librarian.
Roe Fulkerson (Prep. 1885-86) died January 11, 1949. Mr.
Fulkerson was a native of Blount County, but moved with his
familv to Washington, D. C.-when a young man. He became a
noted writer and speaker. He was one of the Founders of
Kiwanis International and an editorial writer for the Kiwanis
Mrs. John Huffstetler (Florence Jane Henry, Prep. '82-'88)
died February 4, 1949 at the Brakebill Clinic in Knoxville,
Tennessee. She is survived by two sons, Frank, of New Mexico,
and Irl, of Maryville, both of whom attended Maryville's
John Huffstetler, (Prep. '83-'88) died April 1, 1949, only
eight weeks after the death of his wife (see above). Mr. Huff-
stetler was in the lumber business in Maryville for many years.
He was a trustee of the First Methodist Church.
Samuel Henry Tulloch (Prep. '88-'91) died March 16, 1949 at
Blount Memorial Hospital in Maryville, Tennessee. Mr. Tul-
loch leaves behind him an enviable record of service to his county.
For many years he taught in the Blount County schools and
later served on the school board. From 1936 to 1942 he was a
member of the county court. He is survived by his wife, one
son, and a daughter, Mrs. Duncan Crowley (Helen Tulloch, '36).
William Alexander Woods (enrolled in second year Teachers'
Course 1889-91) died December 8, 1948 at his home in Green-
back, Tennessee. He is survived by his wife and three daughters,
Mrs. Lawrence Smith (Edith Woods, '34), Mrs. Weldon Hina
(Naomi Woods, '34) and Mrs. Eldon Pearson (Ruth Woods,
Mrs. Arthur Kirk (Etta lies, Prep. 1890) died December 16,
1948, in Fort Sanders Hospital, Knoxville, Tennessee. She is
survived by one son, lies, of Cincinnati, a brother, John B.
lies, of Chattanooga, and a sister, Mrs. William Barr, of Knox-
Mrs. J. N. Henry (Lou Goddard, '94) died July 23, 1948
at the home of her daughter, in Maryville, Tennessee. She
taught in the Blount County Schools until her marriage in
1897 to Mr. Henry. For a number of years she taught a class
of College girls in the New Providence Presbyterian Sunday
School. She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Bessie Henry
Oirn, who graduated from the College in 1920 and taught in
the Biology Department from 1926 to 1931.
Francis A. Penland, '95, died October 14, 1948, at his home
in Asheville, North Carolina. Dr. W.T. Bartlett, '01, officiated
at the funeral services. Mi. Penland had spent fifty-one years
in the teaching profession. In 1941 he retired as a high school
principal but because of the wartime shortage of teachers con-
tinued to teach for several years.
Lindsay Brassfield Phillips (Prep. '97-'99) died February 26,
1949 at Methodist Hospital, Memphis. Tennessee. Mr. Phillips
was United States District Attorney for West Tennessee from
1926 to 1931. He was also a past grand master of the Grand
Masonic Lodge of Tennessee.
Baxter Tedford. ex '97, died December 10, 1948, in Mary-
ville, Tennessee. His wife (Augusta Muecke, '97) survives him.
Roscoe N. Goddard (Prep.'98-1900) died January 11, 1949,
in Maryville, Tennessee. He was the father of Carrie Lou God-
dard, '33 and Edwin Goddard, '39. He was also the brother of
Mrs. Lou Goddard Heniy (see above) and Volta F. Goddard, '13.
Rev. Thomas Worsley Maguire, '01, died October 20, 1948
at St. John's Manse, Cowes, Phillip Island, Victoria, Australia.
His death at the age of 81 ended almost half a century of service
in the ministry, eight years of which were in the United States
and the remainder in Australia.
William White Rate (Prep. 1903-'05) died in February, 1949,
at his home in Manilla, St. Thomas, Philippine Islands. Mr.
Pate was a native of Maryville. He had served forty years in
the Civil Service department of the Navy in the Islands and was
taken prisoner by the Japanese at the fall of Bataan. He is
survived by two brothers, Walter of Maryville and Col. J. B.
Pate, '04, of Atlanta.
Rev. Harry O. Bush, '15, died January 7, 1949, of coronary
occlusion, at Uhrichsville, Ohio, where he had been pastor of
the Presbyterian Church for eighteen years. Surviving are
his wife (Eva Ogilvie, ex T8), and two children.
Judge C. F. (Pat) Quinn, ex '17, died February 13, 1949, at
his home in Maryville. Judge Quinn was a native of Morgan
County. He attended the Preparatory Department from
1903 to 1913, and the College from 1913 to 1916. He com-
pleted his education at Cumberland University in Lebanon,
Tennessee. He was engaged in the practice of law until 1926
when he was elected circuit judge of the Fourth Judicial District
of Tennessee in which office he continued until his death. He
is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. Thomas Kirk
and Mrs. James Hauke (Nancy Quinn, ex '40). He was a
brother of Mrs. F. A. Greene (Ruth Kate Quinn, '22) and
of Coile Quinn, '32.
John W. Sherrod (Prep. '22) died November 19, 1948 at his
home in Maryville. Mr. Sherrod was, for several years, cashier
of the Blount National Bank. At the time of his death he was
with the Security Finance Corporation in Maryville.
Mrs. C. F. Roberts (Georgia Belle Kuhn, '25) died February
15, 1949 in Knoxville, Tennessee. She had been a teacher at
Knoxville High School for the past sixteen years.
Lora Hibbert, ex '27, died September 26, 1948 in Fort San-
ders Hospital in Knoxville, Tennessee. Miss Hibbert was a Red
Cross worker during World War II, serving in Hawaii and
Korea. She became ill while in Korea and was returned to the
Jnited States where she received treatment at the Walter
Reed Hospital. She is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs.
Alfred Hibbert of Maryville, and a sister, Mrs. Thomas Askew
(Jeannette Hibbert, '21).
Leon West Brown, '33, died April 22, 1949, in a Washington,
D.C. hospital, of a brain tumor. Funeral services and interment
were in Sweetwater, Tennessee, his former home. He is survived
by his wife (Iris Russell, ex '35) and one son, Tommy.
Rev. Robert J. Beyer, '34, died in November, 1948 at his
home in Cleveland, Ohio, where he was pastor of Bethany
Presbyterian Church. His death was due to a heart attack.
After graduation from Princeton Seminary in 19(37, Mr. Beyer
went abroad for a year on a fellowship and studied in Basel,
Switzerland. Previous to becoming pastor of the Bethany
Church in 1942, he had been assistant pastor of the First Presby-
terian church at Norristown, Pennsylvania, and pastor of the
Presbyterian Church of Potts Grove, Pennsylvania. He is survived
by his wife and three children.
Mrs. R. T. Courtney (Mary Grace Hall, ex '46) died May 4,
1949, at East Tennessee Baptist Hospital in Knoxville, after an
extended illness. She is survived by her husband and one son,
also by her mother, one sister and two brothers, one of whom is
a student at the College.
DEATH OF MRS. McMURRAY
Kathryn Romig McMurray
died at the home of her daugh-
ter Claire McMurray Howard, in
Cleveland, Ohio, on March 11,
1949, and was buried at Mary-
ville on March 14. In the ab-
sence of President Lloyd, Dr.
Horace E. Orr prepared and read
at the funeral service the fol-
lowing statement which alumni
will wish to read.
"Mrs. Kathryn Romig McMurray joined the faculty of Mary-
ville College in September 1920. She came as head of the de-
partment of Home Economics at the same time her husband,
Dr. James H. McMurray, joined the faculty as Professor of
Political and Social Science. She and her husband served side by
side, as the respective heads of these two departments, until
pressure of other duties led Mrs. McMurray to give up her
teaching in order to give more time to the College Maid Shop.
Dr. McMurray served as Professor of Political and Social Science
until his death on April 6, 1938.
"Mrs. McMurray had been in college work before coming
to Maryville, first at Lincoln College, in Illinois, where her
husband was President of the College, where she was elected as
Director of Home Economics, but resigned to accept a position as
Director and Teacher of Food Conservation courses at Oberlin
College. She served at Oberlin while her husband was engaged
in war work with the Red Cross during the first World War.
"Soon after coming to Maryville College, Mrs. McMurray,
in connection with the Home Economics Department, began to
develop a program of making and marketing of clothing articles.
Her purposes here were basically two— to give students experience
and to provide for them a means of earning money toward the pay-
ment of their college expenses.
"The College Maid Shop was the result. Its growth and
expansion were very rapid, and Mrs. McMurray, in the tireless
fashion in which all who knew her are accustomed to think of
her, served as production manager, sales manager and general
manager. When one method did not pay she would devise
another. It was in order to be able to carry these heavy responsi-
bilities that she resigned her teaching work in 1927.
"The name College Maid became famous largely because of
her skill and enterprise. It grew and expanded to impressive
proportions. Through years of economic boom and depression,
through years of peace and war, it has operated steadily and with
increasing demands which always seemed to outrun supply.
Uniforms for factory workers, choir gowns, gym suits, nurses'
uniforms, have been the products of the more recent years.
"The College Maid Shop has been a means of help to worthy
young women which in terms of encouragement and growing
self confidence is incalculably great. And Mrs. McMurray's
energy, ingenuity, and especially her unfailing personal kindliness
and sympathy, have always been the center around which the
College Maid Shop has revolved.
"The loss the College experienced in the termination of Mrs.
McMurray's work was expressed in a letter from President
Lloyd to her after she became too ill to continue. I quote
briefly from the President's letter: 'There never was and
probably never would have been a College Maid Shop without
you. To go ahead even temporarily without your efficient and
happv presence and direction is difficult and seems strange and
unnatural. When you have been away temporarily we have
always counted on your being back in charge soon.' It can be
truly said of Mrs. McMurray that with her the processes by
which worthy young persons acquire an education became Christ-
DEATH OF MR. CRESWELL
Rev. John Baxter Creswell, '87, of Bearden, a suburb of Knox-
ville, Tennessee, died on April 1, 1949, at the age of 88. He
was buried at Eusebia near his birthplace about twelve miles
from Maryville. For 49 years he was a Director of Maryville
College. He graduated from Lane Theological Seminary, Cin-
cinnati, in 1890, and was pastor of Erin Presbyterian Church,
Bearden, fof' the . twenty-five years from 1892 to 1917. After his
retirement, Mr. Creswell, who never married, continued to make
his home a mile away from the Erin Church. He was instru-
mental in encouraging many young people of small means to
secure a college education.
The Class of 1948 has contributed $50.75 to the Chapel
Fund. This represents the money which was left as a secur-
ity deposit for the Chilhowean, and which was not needed
for that purpose. The decision to use the money in this way
was made by the class officers. Appreciation of the College
for the gift was expressed to the Class president, Charles
W. Hoglan, who has requested that this word be passed on
to all members of the class bv means of this notice.
A view of one end of the Student Center building during a rush
hour at the Y-Store. Since it was opened last September, the Cen-
ter has been one of the most used buildings on the campus. It
has helped to meet a long-felt need.
Mr. and Mrs. Glen A. Lloyd, '18, a son, John Musser, January
Dr. and Mrs. C. B. Lequire, '27, their fourth child, a daughter,
Elise, September 22, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Loring (Bess Mitchell, '31), a daughter,
Jane Trigg, in January, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph L. Evins (Anne Smartt, '32), a daughter,
Mary, February 24, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Jones, '32, their first child, a daughter,
Linda Carol, December 20, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Gordon R. Lyle, '32, their second child, a daughter,
Kathryn Louise, November 13, 1948.
Dr. and Mrs. Lowell Vinsant, '33, their second child, a daughter,
March 8, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. Robert Brown, '35, their first child, a son, Stephen
Craig, November 15, 1948.
Dr. and Mrs. William O. Frishe, '35, (Eleanor Pflanze, '36),
their fourth child, a son, James Christopher, April 5, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Ernest B. Lowe, '35, their second child, a son,
Ernest Broyles, Jr., December 4, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. J. P. Murphy (Nina Gamble, '35), their second
child, a son, John Pennington, Jr., November 24„ 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Amelio Rueda (Sarita Casseres, ex '35), a
daughter, Julia Anne, January 12, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Elmore (Mary Rose Atchley, '36), their
first child, a son, Gary Lynn, November 2, 1948.
Rev. and Mrs. Willis E. Garrett, '36, a daughter, Wynn Ann,
September 29, 1948.
Rev. and Mrs. Robert E. Lodwick, '36, their second child, a
daughter, Mary Kimball, February 23, 1948.
Rev. and Mrs. William S. Quigley, '36, (Elinor Ackerman,
ex '39) a son, Lincoln Walter, January 19, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. Wesley H. Kraay (Charlotte King, '37), their
third child, a son, Robert Wayne, March 22, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Lamar Blazer, ex '38 (Eva Jean Blake, ex '42)
their third child, a daughter, March 9, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Steven T. Briggs (Lilian Borgquist, '38), their
second child, a daughter, Nita Catherine, January 21, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward C. Gillingham, '38, their second child, a
son, Bruce Edward, February 12, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Pflanze, '38, their first child, a son,
Charles Walter, November 17, 1948.
Dr. and Mrs. James N. Proffitt, '38, their second child, a
daughter, January 1, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Leland Waggoner, '38, a son, Frederick Charles,
October 5, 1947.
Dr. and Mrs. William L. Wood, '39 (Polly Hurspeth, ex '41),
their third child, a son, Leonard Leas, March 27, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. George E. Felknor, Jr., '39, a daughter, Marion
Carolyn, April 3, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Orr, '39, their first child, a son, William
Edward, September 3, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Eldon Pearson, ex '39 (Ruth Woods, '40), their
second child, a son, Joseph Franklin, October 17, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward K. Pearson, ex '39, their first child, a
son, Edward Kelly, II, March 19, 1949.
Rev. and Mrs. Hugh L. Smith, '39, a daughter, Christina Deane,
November 22, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. J. N. Badgett, '40, their second child, a daughter,
Susan Rebecca, January 11, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Haviland (Louise Proffitt, ex '40), their
second child, a daughter, Estelle Gaynor, April 3, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. E. Vaughn Lyons, Jr. '40, a son, Earle Vaughn,
III, January 22, 1949?
Rev. and Mrs. John M. Magee, '40 (Margaret Sisk, '41),
their third child, a daughter, Nancy Christine, November 1,
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Tulloch, ex '40, a son, December 26, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Harold N. Banks, (Virginia Wheeler, '41), a
son, Kenneth, in November, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Cragan, '41, (Mary Darden, '41), their
first child, a son, Paul Humes, August 28, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Hulse, ex '41, (Mary Margaret Smith, '39),
a daughter, Sandra Smith, May 26, 1948.
Rev. and Mrs. Arthur Peterson, '41, (Marianna Allen, '41),
their second child, a daughter, Peggy, in January, 1949.
Dr. and Mis. Walter Thomas Smith, Jr., (Miriam Nethery, '41),
their first child, a son, Gary Thomas, January 25, 1949.
Major and Mrs. Douglas Steakley, '41 (Helen Williams, '41),
their third child, a son, October 15, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Ralph N. Harder (Phyllis Overton, '42), a son,
Alan Nisbet, October 31, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. David Kidder, '42, (Mary Orr, '41), their second
child, a son, Samuel Henry, November 29, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Kramer, '42 (Margaret Clippinger, '43), their
first child, a daughter, Margaret Ann, December 10, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. Charles McCammon, '42, a daughter, Laura Ann,
November 27, 1948. '
Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Olsen (Margaret Ruth Whaley, '42),
a daughter, Linda Katherine, December 27, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. D. K. Taggart (Mary Elizabeth Cruze, '42), a son,
April 11, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Sydney Duke, ex '43 (Aura Santiago, '43),. a
daughter, Leslie Jane, August 13, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert J. Glynn (Alice Marstiller, ex '43),
their first child, a son, Allen Michael, January 2, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Earl H. Lamken (Nola Pauline Johnson, '43),
a daughter, Nola Etta, January 21, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert K. Lockwood, '43, a son, Daniel Gilbert,
October 21, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Lowther (Betty Winter, '43), their
first child, a daughter, Barbara Ann, March 11, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Dean P. Stiles, '43, a son, Roger Dean, January
Mr. and Mrs. Mack Breazeale (Virginia Montgomery, ex '44),
a daughter, December 21, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank V. Crawford (Lucile Gaultney, '44), twin
sons, in November, 1948 (one child died).
Lieut, and Mrs. Robert W. Bayless, ex '45 (Carol McCutcheon,
'45), a son, Robert Vance, October 4, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Horace Cobum (Hope Pleyl, '45), a daughter,
Lynn Louise, February 27, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. John T. DeForest, ex '45, (Anne Gammon, '42),
a daughter, Carol, December 25, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Griffin (Betty Hoagland, ex '45), a son,
September 6, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Jamieson (Betty Ballard, '45), a daughter,
Elizabeth Ann, May 1, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Rosenfeld (Ethel H, Beall, '45), their
first child, a daughter, Rachel Ann, November 15, 1948.
Rev. and Mrs. John Hardison Scott, '45, a daughter, Caroline
Radcliffe, December 29, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. J. V. Blalock (Kathleen Glymph, '46), their
first child, a daughter, Kathy Anne, January 14, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Kilpatrick (Betty Lou McCoy, '46), their
first child, a son, Alan Hugh, March 21, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Owen McGarity, '46, (Lois Thomas, '48), their
first child, a son, Thomas Owen, April 15, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Miniard (Frances Bradshaw, '46), a son,
Ralph Wayne, October 5, 1948.
Lieut, and Mrs. Charles Henry Dean, Jr. (Lottie Lavender '47),
their first child, a daughter, Helen Ford, January 4, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Donald Conkle, '48, their first child, a son,
Donald Steven, November 26, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Garner, '48, (Janet Rich, '48) their
first child, a daughter, Lucinda Jane, February 27, 1949
Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Paxton, '48, (Charlotte Proffitt, '47),
their first child, a daughter, Cynthia Lee, November 11, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. Winton Enloe, ex '49, (Mary'Katherine Stidham,
ex '48) their first child, a son, Walter Winton, III, in January,
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas D. Rose. Jr., ex '49, a daughter, Nancy
Jane, April 19. 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Spears, '49, (Ruth R. Thompson, ex '50)
their first child, a son, John Arthur, Jr., January 9, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Leslie R. Webb, '49, a son, Robert Terrell, October
Mr. and Mrs. Max Willocks, '49, (Neysa Ferguson, '46) their
first child, a daughter, Margaret Sharon, April 9, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Sam Pickens, ex '50, a son, Steven Robert,
March 6, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Thomson, ex '50, a son, Andrew Gale,
In March Mr. Gabriel Fenyves, head of the piano depart-
ment at Macalester College, Minnesota, visited the campus under
the auspices of the Arts Program of the Association of American
Colleges for a two-day music seminar. He played at "long
chapel" on Thursday morning and then went to various classes
for lecture and discussion. On Thursday afternoon the Division
of Fine Arts invited all local music teachers to bring their pupils
to a piano clinic. On Friday evening Mr. Fenyves gave a formal
recital in the Alumni Gym.
This program was presented by the Artists Series, the first
since the Chapel burned. It has not been considered possible
to have the regular Artists Series concerts in the Gymnasium,
so this plan of a two-day visit and recital was tried and was
thought by all to be very successful.
On March 25. Rosa Page Welch, noted Negro mezzo-soprano,
gave a concert in the Alumni Gymnasium. She came to the
campus with Miss Elisabeth E. Turner, of the Presbyterian
Board of Foreign Missions, who spoke at chapel on Thursday,
March 24. Mrs. Welch for the past ten years has used her art
for church work and she made a deep impression here by her
combination of musical ability and spiritual insight.
Dues of the Alumni Association are $2.00 per year. Out
of this money the Association pays for the two issues of the
magazine and for postage, office supplies, and some of the
other office expenses. The fiscal year ends in June so if you
have not sent in your dues for 1948-1949, please do so at
once, and help keep your Alumni Office going.
The 1948 football season, under the direction of Director of
Athletics Lombe Honaker and Coach J. A. Davis, was more
successful than the record of four games won and four lost
would indicate. After winning over Hiwassee, Emory and Henry,
and Western Carolina State, and losing to Middle Tennessee
State, Sewanee, East Tennessee State, and Tennessee Polytech, a
thrilling victory over Carson-Newman 20-18 at Jefferson City
brought the season to a happy climax.
Spring football practice, directed by Coach Davis, revealed some
good new material, both among our present students and among
seniors from nearby high schools who came out for the afternoon
practices. Prospects are encouraging for a good team next fall.
The 1949 team will be led by captain Howard Davis and co-
captain D. M. Miller.
The cross-country team ran four meets last fall, winning two
with Sewanee and losing two to the University of Tennessee. The
team was directed by Coach Kenneth Johnson.
Out of a full schedule of seventeen intercollegiate games,
Coach Honaker's basketball team lost only five games, two to
Lincoln Memorial University by one point each, one to Carson-
Newman at Maryville, one to the University of Chattanooga,
and one to Emory and Henry. The biggest upset of the season
was Maryville's 67-49 victory over Chattanooga on our home
court. Our team won over Carson-Newman 67-39 at Jefferson
City. The 1949 captain was Bob Boring.
The wrestling team, coached by "J. D." Davis, won four out
of seven matches, winning over Knoxville YMCA twice, Uni-
versity of Chattanooga at Chattanooga, and Georgia Tech, and
losing to Arkansas State College, Alabama Tech. and University
of Chattanooga at Maryville. At the Southeastern AAU tourna-
ment Maryville won third place with a total of 27 points, tying
Georgia Tech. Two of our men wresded for first place in
the finals. This year's wrestling captain was Henry Callaway, Jr.,
son of Dr. Henry A. Callaway, ex '17. Captain-elect is Her-
Maryville's first swimming team since 1942 completed a very
acceptable season, under the leadership of Coach Kenneth John-
son. Although they did not win any of their five meets, two with
Vanderbilt, two with the University of Tennessee, and one with
Berea College, the scores were by no means one-sided, and some
promising swimmers were discovered and developed for next
year. A freshman, Donald Macdonald, broke Maryville's pre-
vious record of 2:02 for the 150 yards backstroke with his time
of 1:59. Maryville divers took first and second places against
University of Tennessee and Vanderbilt and first place against
As this article is written, the baseball, track, and tennis teams,
directed respectively by Coaches Honaker, Davis, and Johnson,
are in the midst of successful seasons. The baseball team thus
far has won ten and lost five games. In its first regular meet
since 1941, our track team beat Tennessee Polytech 120Vi to
19Vi. At the Milligan Relays our team, with 56 points, tied for
first place with Wofford College, and won the cup for the mile
relay. The tennis team has won all of the seven matches played
thus far, with a total of 47 games won and 7 lost.
Extensive intramural athletic programs have been carried on
continuously through the year. The women's intramural pro-
gram is directed by Mrs. Verton Queener, the men's program by
Coach Kenneth Johnson.
OLDEST LIVING GRADUATE
The oldest living graduate of Maryville College (in terms
of date of graduation) is Nellie Eugenia Bartlett Cort, who
lives at Hollister, Missouri.
Mrs. Cort graduated with the B.A. degree seventy-one years ago
in the Class of 1878. She taught a year in the Preparatory De-
partment of Maryville College and then in Utah under the
Preshvterian Board of National Missions until her marriage in
1882 to Rev. Arthur B. Cort, whom she survives. She and her
husband went to the State of Washington in 1887 under the
Board of National Missions, traveling by covered wagon with
their two children.
The first teacher to join Professor Lamar in reopening the
College after the Civil War was Rev. Alexander Bartlett of
New England, who was Professor of Latin from 1867 until
his death in 1883. His home, which burned after his death, was
the first house built on the present campus where Dean Mc-
Clelland's house (formerly occupied variously by Treasurer
Proffitt, Dr. Gillingham, Dr. Bassett, Professor Mathes, and
others) now stands. Mrs. Cort was the second daughter of
Professor Bartlett. Her uncle. Dr. Peter Mason Bartlett, was
third President of theCollege from 1869 to 1887.
All members of the classes earlier than 1878 have passed
away, and likewise the other three members of that class (James
Elcana Rogers, William Henry Naff Taylor, and Samuel
Tyndale Wilson). There were no graduates in 1879. All five
members of the Class of 1880 have died and Horace McBath
is the only member of the Class of 1881 now living. When
Mrs. Cort returned her information questionnaire last year she
asked whether she might be the oldest living graduate.
The Alumni Bulletin extends greetings and good wishes to
On January 28 an Opera Workshop presented "Hansel and
Gretel" in the Alumni Gymnasium. It was given in the after-
noon for grammar school children and in the evening for the
college and general public, and was very successful. The pro-
duction was the work of all departments in the Division of Fine
Arts. The art classes painted the scenery, the drama classes pro-
vided costumes, make-up, and stage direction, the music classes
provided the singers and accompanists. Each of the three acts
was directed by a different drama student, the accompaniment
was played by a different piano student, and the two main
parts of Hansel and Gretel were sung by different voice students.
Thus a large number of students took part and for each individual
the amount of work was limited.
Other campus activities during the second semester included
the annual orchestra concert, the "Springtime Serenade" given
by the Girls' Choir and the Men's Glee Club, the play
"Papa is All," May Day and the Spring Formal, the Fashion
Parade of the Home Economics Department, the Easter Sunrise
Service, the Vesper Choir Concert, the YW and YM Retreat,
open house in all the dormitories, the Experimental Theater's
one-act plays, several art exhibits hung in Thaw Hall Library,
and the Commencement events.
WHO'S WHO AMONG STUDENTS
Nine seniors were elected last fall to Wlio's Who Among
Students in American* Universities and Colleges.
Jim Black, Baltimore, Maryland, is president of the Student
Council and last year was president of the YMCA. He has
been active also in dramatics.
Dave Campbell, Mars, Pennsylvania, has been YMCA secre-
tary for two years, is president of the Pre-Ministerial Association,
is a member of Writers Workshop and of Pi Kappa Delta, national
honorary forensic society.
Barbara Eggleston, Marinette, Wisconsin, is president of the
Women's Student-Government Association, a member of Student
Council, of Writers Workshop, and of the M Club.
Vera Lusk, Scotch Plains, New Jersey, is a member of
Student Council, a YWCA cabinet officer, president of Bainon-
ian, and has been in the Vesper Choir two years. She was the
1948 Homecoming Queen.
Mildred Miller, Dallas, Texas, has been on the YWCA
cabinet two years, was house chairman of Baldwin Hall in her
sophomore year, was co-chairman of Bamwarming last Thanks-
Ilda Mosby, Massilon, Ohio, is editor of the Highland Echo
this year, and is a member of Writers Workshop and on Student
John Poland, Beverly Shores, Indiana, is vice president of
Student Council this year and has been a member for three
years. He has been manager of the Y-Store for two years.
Bill Proffitt, Maryville, is a two-year letterman in football and
also earned a letter in track in his sophomore year. He is on the
Student Council, was president of his class and of the Athletic
Board of Control last year.
Margaret Rock, Ontario, Oregon, is president of the YWCA.
She is also a member of Student Council, the Social Board, and
At Maryville election to Who's Who is by the Student Coun-
cil and the Executive Council of the Faculty and is on the basis
of scholarship, cooperation and leadership in academic and extra-
curricular activities, and general citizenship.
Front row: Ilda Mosby, Barbara Eggleston, Margaret Rock.
Back row: lim Black, John Poland, Bill Proffitt, Vera Lusk,
Mildred Miller, Dave Campbell.