Skip to main content
FRIDAY, MAY 12
8:00 p.m. -Commencement Play-"Joan of Lorraine" (first performance)
SATURDAY, MAY 13
8:00 a.m.— Senior Class Chapel Service
Noon— Class luncheons as arranged
7:00" p.m.— Annual Alumni Dinner
9:00 p.m.— Band Concert
SUNDAY, MAY 14
10:30 a.m.— Baccalaureate Service— Sermon by President Lloyd
4:00 p.m.— Senior Music Hour
":00 p.m.— Commencement Vespers
MONDAY, MAY 15
8:00 a.m.— Chapel Service— Distribution of Prizes
3:00 p.m.— Baseball Game— Maryville vs. Carson-Newman
TUESDAY, MAY 16
8:00 a.m.— Chapel Service— Musical and Dramatic Program
3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p. m— Reception for Alumni, Seniors, Parents of Students, Faculty,
and Other Guests by President and Mrs. Lloyd at the President's
3:00 p.m.— Commencement Play— "Joan of Lorraine" (second performance)
WEDNESDAY, MAY 17
8:30 a.m.— Spring Meeting cf the Directors of Maryville College
!0:30 a.m.— Graduation Exercises, 132nd Year. Address by Rev. Dr. Dunbar H.
Ogden, Napoleon Avenue Presbyterian Church, New Orleans
OFFICERS OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
1949 - 1950
President Earl W. Blazer, '30
Vice-President A. B. Waggoner, '14
Recording Secretary Winifred Painter, '15
Class of 1950: Mrs. Arthur Bushing, '42; Mrs. John Carson, '17; Mr. Leslie Webb Jr., '33.
Class of 1951: Mr. Arnold Kramer '40; Mr. Joe L. Marshall, '28; Mrs. Clyde Murray, '13.
Class of 1952: Mrs. Fred DeLozier. '37; Mrs. John A. Kerr, '44; Mr. Rollo W. King, '41.
MARYVILLE COLLEGE BULLETIN
Published by Maryville College, Maryville. Tennessee
Ralph Waldo Lloyd, President
VOL. XLVIII April, 1950 No. 5
Publishd quarterly by Maryville Collnge. Entered May 24, 1904, at Maryville, Tennessee, as second-class
mail matter. Acceptance for mailing at special rate of postage provided for in Section 1103, Act of October
3, 1917, authorized February 10. 1919.
£51tp Alumni •prrHtiiPttt'H ffl?saa$t
STSJ55 Ss*- -5&-S*— " M g
ive yourself yy interest m ner let ters asking
lain a deep ng I ,-* ,- x ~y~^ ss^s- -*r^\
interested. I » iate the interest, j ^
largest ^^ o^^nt. J ^easing numbers.
great occasion at d in ever mcr Arts bnlld -
Rents because you ^ Hill „ The F Cam-
, ^on^io^.-tolfntS^toWor^d and
each of yon t. ^ omMnE e M nt i if *» 3j£ S «*«*
you happen to .^f shall lo ok forward
then write us .
tytmbmt ffitogfc 'b iJag*
Dear Maryville College Family:
The Spring of 1950 will be half gone when you read this page but is only six days old as I write. It takes more
time now than formerly for a publication like this to get through the press and the mails. There will be some develop-
ments, I hope, in some of the following matters, but substantially the facts should be much the same.
Before this arrives each Maryville College alumnus will have received an urgent letter of appeal for the Chapel
Fund. The letter is published on another page. It has gone to all alumni, those who had subscribed and those who
had not. We hope all, without exception, with a deep sense of indebtedness to their Alma Mater, will give. There is no
first rank college in America, open to all qualified students, where the charges to students are as low as those at Mary-
ville. The February Good Housekeeping article on the Small College shows Maryville's unique position. The value per
dollar which we alumni received here is unsurpassed, perhaps unmatched, anywhere in the United States. That policy
should develop a high proportion of reciprocal giving by alumni. It has not worked that way in the past. But we hope
that in response to this Chapel appeal alumni will start a new and noble tradition. Its goal— every graduate an investor
in the College of the future.
The Fine Arts Center
On another page there is an account of the ground-breaking ceremony on last Founders Day. In it there is given
a progress report on construction. We who are nearby watch each new development with genuine interest. The archi-
tects come down from Chicago from time to time. The photograph on another page shows the present appearance above
ground, but so far most of the work has been below or on the ground level. When you read this, the appearance will be
very different, and by Commencement the building will be well along.
A Music Hall Organ
We have known from the beginning that one of the essentials in the Music Hall of the Fine Arts Center would
be an organ of high quality and varied range for teaching and concert work. We did not know how it could be provided.
Now we are rejoicing in gifts which make it possible as soon as it can be built and installed. We are thoroughly explor-
ing the question with the leading organ builders and with leading organists. Probably before this is read a contract will
be let and an organ, whose building will take at least two-thirds of a year, will be in construction.
And College is in Session Daily
While these important advances in the Chapel and Fine Arts require much attention, they do not alter the College's
daily program and planning. There ar; a hundred things about which one could write. They add up to the fact that
another college year is in the home stretch. We will graduate' the largest class in Maryville history— probably about 182.
It is the big postwar class and is not expected to be equalled again unless the College decides to be larger. We have no
such plan, although our dormitories are already full for next September and many applicants will have to be turned
away. We could easily grow much larger, but it would be a different Maryville of a kind which most of us do not
desire. I hope we can remain small enough to be one "family" whose members know each other and do things as a
family, do them well, do them by Christian standards.
/(^Uf< y^^u ^^-7^
THIS LETTER WAS MAILED TO ALL ALUMNI IN
CALLING ALL ALUMNI TO THE CHAPEL:
THE TIME HAS COME! Adequate tunds must be assured
now if we are to have a new Chapel completed for the opening
of college in September, 1951. Even that will mean four years
without a Chapel. Surely no longer time must be allowed to
THIS LETTER IS A CALL to every Maryville College gradu-
ate and former student who has not given to the limit of his or
her ability to send a subscription at once on the enclosed card.
Alumni have subscribed to date $72,904.09. In Maryville and
a number of other communities where alumni are somewhat
concentrated, committees have conducted campaigns. But most
of you have not yet subscribed because you have not been
offered a clear-cut chance to do so. This letter offers that chance.
THE TOTAL IN MONEY AND PLEDGES received from
subscriptions and insurance up to this time is $251,797.13.
Since the fire $10,720.02 has been spent to clear away the
debris and to replace pianos and other essential equipment. We
have in hand $199,028.12 in cash and $42,048.99 in pledges, a
total of $241,077.11 for future use. The estimated minimum
cost of an adequate fireproof Chapel, without equipment, is
$400,000. Therefore we still need $160,000. Our graduates and
former students are asked to give it.
THE STORY OF THE FIRE which destroyed Voorhees Chapel
in 1947 and of the plans for the new "Samuel Tyndale Wilson
Chapel" is told in a brochure which most of you have seen or
will see. But your subscription should not wait for that. Every-
one by now knows of the loss and of the urgent need. The Fine
Arts Center is under construction; the Chapel must be started.
A PLEDGE CARD AND A RETURN ENVELOPE are en-
closed. If you have not subscribed or find you can increase your
subscription, won't you fill out the card and mail it at once,
with or without an initial payment.
PAYMENTS MAY BE SPREAD OVER TWO YEARS. Please
note that the card permits pledges through 1950 and 1951 if
desired. For most people this will allow the amount subscribed
to be much larger than could be given immediately. Two things
are of paramount importance: first, everyone should give; second,
everyone should give to the limit.
GIFTS OF ALL SIZES are welcome, but many must be large.
Memorials are possible— the organ is listed at $25,000, windows
at $1,000, seat endowments at $150, other memorials in between.
Such items as the organ and the furniture are above the building
estimate of $400,000.
WE WHO SIGN THIS LETTER are officials of the College
and Alumni Association, but all four of us are also alumni. We
have made our subscriptions to 'the Chapel Fund and have made
them as large as we could. Will you join us? If so— mail the
SAMUEL O. HOUSTON, '98, Chairman of the Board of
RALPH W. LLOYD, '15, President of the College
JOE C. GAMBLE, '26, Recorder of the Board of Directors
EARL W. BLAZER, '30, President of the Alumni Association
Have you sent in your pledge?
A L V M \I CUBS
The Nashville alumni had a meeting last fall at which
nineteen were present. Rev. Flynn G. Humphreys, ex '25, was
elected chairman. Dr. John A. Hyden, '14, vice chairman, Miss
Mabel I. Baker. '23, secretary, and Mrs Mary Trotter Shields,
ex '37, treasurer. Earl Blazer, president or the Alumni Associa-
tion, and Mrs. Blazer attended the meeting. The group expects
to have another meeting April 15.
On March 24 the Maryville College Club of Metropolitan
New York met at the Port Arthur Restaurant in the Chinese
section of Manhattan. About fifty attended. Rev. Robert E.
Seel, '45, was elected chairman to succeed Ralph B. Teffer-
teller, '32; James M. Rich, '39, vice chairman to succeed
William S. Quigley, '36; and Mrs. Marjorie Jones Spilatore,
'34, secretary-treasurer to succeed John O. Henderson, '22.
President Lloyd was present and gave a report on college
affairs. After the dinner and business meeting, a square dance
was held under the supervision of Ralph Tefferteller, an
expert in such group activities.
The Philadelphia Maryville College Club will hold its
spring meeting on April 29 at 7:00 p.m. at D. F. McCallister's
Caterers, 1811 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia. Norman H.
Beamer, '37, 406 Drexel Avenue. Drexei Hill. Pennsylvania,
is chairman and will be glad to take reservations from any
alumni who can attend.
The Northern Ohio alumni plan a meeting for the latter
part of April. Rev. Arthur R. Kinsler, Jr., '24, North Presbyter-
ian Church, Cleveland, Ohio, is chairman.
The alumni in the Boston area phn to have a meeting,
on Thursday. April 27. Get in touch with Leland T. Waggon-
er. '38, Mutual Life Insurance Company, 31 Milt Street,
Boston 9, or with Mrs. John C. Carr (Lois Black, '38),
30 Burnside Street, Medford, Massachussets.
THE FINE ARTS BUILDING
Ground was broken for the new Fine Arts Center on
Founders and Homecoming Day, October 29, 1949. In August
the drawings and specifications were completed by Schweikher
and Elting, architects, Chicago; in September several contractors
prepared bids; in October a contract was let to Johnson and Wil-
lard, Knoxville, and ground was broken; in November con-
struction began. Expectations are that the building will be
ready for occupancy by the middle of the summer.
There was naturally much interest in the ground-breaking
ceremony. At the chapel hour, at the call of trumpeters, students,
faculty, and visitors gathered before a large temporary platform
at the site selected for the building. The college band played
for the processional in which were the choir, those participating
in the program, seven of the Directors of the College, Mr. Elting
of the architect firm of Schweikher and Elting, and Mr. Johnson,
Mr. Willard and others of the firm of contractors. President
Lloyd presided and gave the address on the subject, "On This
Ground Let Us Build." Dean Hunter read the Scripture, Dean
McClelland offered the principal prayer. A telegram of good
will from the doners was read.
Each of the following persons then turned a shovel of
dirt: President Lloyd; Judge John C. Crawford, Recorder of the
Directors, representing Judge Samuel O. Houston, Chairman of
the Directors, who was ill; Mr. Earl W. Blazer, '30, President
of the Alumni Association; Miss Katharine C. Davies, Chairman
of the Division of Fine Arts; Mr. William W. Nish, President
of the Student Body and Student Council; and, impromptu and
fittingly, Ernest C. ("Brownie") Brown, Campus Engineer.
As this is written (which of necessity must be some weeks
before it is read), most of the concrete footings and walls have
been poured, the concrete floors are being poured, the brick
walls are starting up, and the structural steel is on the ground.
When these words are read doubtless steel and brick will be
well up. Record breaking rains in January and early February
have prevented regular work, but the contractor believes there
has been no permanent delay and that the original schedule,
which promises the building by July, will be met. This will
mean occupancy in time for the opening of the Fall Semester.
A detailed description of the building will be more
practicable in the next issue of the Alumni Magazine, but the
following general statements made by President Lloyd on Found-
ers Day will be of interest now: "Everything in the building
will have a purpose. There are no useless features or materials.
The best experience of others has been consulted. The plans
have been carefully analysed and simplified. The building will
be interesting as a total plan and in detail. There is nothing
drab or neutral about it. It will be distinctive. It is designed
President Lloyd, Dean Hunter. Dean McClelland, and Professor
Davie= at the Founders Day Service. Bill Nish. President oi the
Student Council, can be glimpsed back of Dr. Lloyd, and Miss
Clemmie Henry and Miss Nellie McCampbeli, two Directors, may
be glimpsed behind Miss Davies.
for Maryville College. It is not copied from any other building.
It is designed to fit the contour of the ground and will follow
and make use of the land as it is. There will be very little
excavation and practically no basement.
"The conception is contemporary. There are no buildings
in this part of the country of this particular kind and few on
college campuses anywhere. Perhaps all of us will have to
become acquainted with it as a new friend. Most of us under-
stand at first only the traditional people and clothes and
customs and architecture we know. This is to be a Fine Arts
Center and therefore one of its services will be to reflect creative
art of the period in which it was built, not some former period,
and to teach this and future generations of students and visitors
these ways of thinking."
The building is located on the north corner of the campus;
that is, the attractive open area beyond Baldwin Hall and the
site of the former Voorhees Chapel, the area through which
the "cinder path" for years and years has' run from the Chapel
to the Southern Railroad Station, an area which in recent years
has been part of the golf course.
It is an extensive building with an over-all length of 375
feet and a cross wing of 190 feet. When completed it will be
of one and two stories. Its materials will be chiefly brick,
concrete, steel, and glass, with some natural woods.
The main facilities provided are: five classrooms, 12 music
teaching studios. 35 music practice rooms, a band and orchestra
rehearsal roori. a wing of painting, ceramics, and sculpture stud-
an art gallery 60 feet long, a music and lecture hall seating
250 people, radio control room and broadcasting studio, a
library, record listening rooms, divisional offices, a lounge
and kitchenette, maintenance and caretakers' rooms, public
washrooms, spacious outdoor terraces. A pipe organ is being
provided for the music and lecture hall.
This Fine Arts Center, made possible by the generosity
of Mr. and Mrs. Glen A. Lloyd, will be a magnificent addition
to the equipment and program of the College.
Part of the crowd at the service.
The football, cross country, wrestling, and basketball
seasons are over for this college year and alumni may be interest-
ed in the results in each sport.
Maryville won second place, with 29 points, in the South-
eastern A. A. U. Tourney at Auburn. Henry Callaway, Jr.,
won the "Outstanding Wrestler" trophy of the tournament.
The cross country team had an undefeated season, winning
once over the University of Tennessee and twice over Tennessee
Polytechnic Institute and twice over the University of the South.
Middle Tenn. State
East Tenn. State
Emory & Henry
Jacksonville (Ala.) Teachers
Reliable Motor Co.
East Tenn. State
Emory & Henry
East Tenn. State
L. M. U.
L. M. U.
Emory & Henry
The Fine Arts Center under construction, March, 1950.
Last fall, after a year's study by ;i faculty-student com-
mittee, the Maryville College Playhouse was organized to
pioduce the major plays and the experimental plays. It is under
the supervision of the teacher of drama and membership is
open to all students, whether or not they are taking courses
in the drama department. This Playhouse replaces the old
Maryville College Players organization and the production of
a major play by each of the societies. A workshop has been
outfitted and the maintenance department of the College has
built a movable stage for use in the Alumni Gymnasium. "Laura,"
given last November, was the first play to be given in the
Gym with the new stage and equipment and was very success-
ful. The spring play, "Hedda Gabler" by Ibsen, was given
March 17 and 18. The Commencement Play will be Maxwell
Anderson's "Joan of Lorraine."
The short experimental plays continue to be given in
Bartlett auditorium. This year they have included a short
version of the Elizabethan farce, "Gammer Gurton's Needle,"
"The Happy Journey" by Thornton Wilder, E. E. Evrienov's
"Theatre of the Soul," an expressionistic play, and "Echo"
by Robert Kasper, an experiment in time.
GOOD HOUSEKEEPING REPORT
The February issue of "Good Housekeeping" carries its
annual Report on Small Colleges and again Maryville is in
this list of colleges of high academic standing, with an enroll-
ment of fewer than two thousand students, and in the "thousand
dollar range" (Maryville of course is much lower than that).
In the article Maryville is mentioned particularly in connection
with the $100,000 gift of the Aluminum Company of America
a year ago as an example of the increasing interest of business
and industry in the small college program.
The 1950 team opened the season with
a 14-3 win over
Miss Ellen E. Collins, of Montgomery, Ala., reigns as Homecoming
The pleasure and excitement of bieaking ground for a
major building (the first since Thaw Hali was built in 1921)
carried over into the rest of the day. In the afternoon the band
led a parade of floats and cars through town; Queen Ellen
and her court won much applause. About four hundred alumni
and their families came to the barbecuo, registering from as
far north as Philadelphia and as far soulh as Jacksonville. The
football game following the barbecue turned out to be the
most exciting of the season, Maryville defeating Western Carolina
Homecoming and Founders Day next fall will be on
October 21. Plan now to come.
THE ARTISTS SERIES
Last year the Artists Series were resumed in some measure
when Professor Gabriel Fenyres, Head of the Piano Department
at Macalester College, came to the campus for a two-day lecture
and recital period and when Mrs. Rosa Page Welch, mezzo-
soprano, gave a recital. The expenses of both of these visitors
were paid by the Artists Series.
Since the Chapel burned there has been no attempt at
regular concerts as there used to be, bul this year, after the
success of last year's ventures, it was decided to try a series in
the Gym. The first concert was by Earle Spicer, baritone, who
sang ballads and folk songs. The second event was a demon-
stration lecture by Professor Howard Thomas, Head of the
Art Department at the University of Georgia, and the third
was a concert by the University of Alabama String Quartet.
Professor Thomas, like Professor Fenyves last year, came under
the auspices of the Association of American Colleges Arts
Program and was on the campus for two days. He spoke at
Chapel and to various classes, and gave two evening lectures.
The Series has gone very well with our present limited
facilities and it is planned to have another series next year.
Mary Holly Webb, who will graduate in May, has been
awarded a SI, 500 Danforth Fellowship for next year. She is
the third Maryville graduate to win such a Fellowship in the
last four years. Only fifteen are given each year. The university
at which Mary Holly will work will be determined later.
DEATH OF TWO DIRECTORS
Mir. Thomas McCroskey, of Knoxville, died in Florida on
January 5. He had been a Director of the College since 1934
and had served on the Committee on .Finance for twelve years
and on the Committee on Administration for three and a half
years Mr. McCroskey was president :>f the American Limestone
Company for many years and was a well known businessman
Judge John Calvin Crawford, '97, a Director of the College
since 1907, died at his home in Maryville on November 7. He
served on the Finance Committee of the Directors for many
years and had been Recorder of the Directors for the past six
years. Judge Crawford was a civic and church leader of the
community and was widely known.
Mrs. Crawford (Maud Famham) also attended Maryville
College and their six sons were all graduated from Maryville:
John, Jr., '27, George, '28, Earle, '35, Lynn, '37, Ernest, '39,
and Roy, '43. He is survived also by three brothers and two
sisters, all of whom are Maryville alumni. His father was Rev.
Gideon S. W. Crawford, '71, who was Professor of Mathematics
at the College for sixteen years.
Judge Crawford taking his rhovelful of earth in the ground,
breaking ceremonies on Founders Day, just about a week before
Mr. and Mrs. Sam F. Broughton, ex '31, their first child, a
son, Sam Jr., June 10, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. William G. Perry (Eloise Garrett, '32), their
fourth child, a son, Stephen Greenwood, October 11, 1949.
Rev. and Mrs. Michael P. Testa, '34, (Christine Holscher Testa,
ex '44), their third child, a daughter, Elizaheth Louise,
October 27, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Munn (Elizabeth Hope, ex '36), a
daughter, Sandra Jo, May 10, 1949.
Rev. and Mrs. Ralph M. Llewellyn, '36, (Billie McCoy, '36),
their third child, a son, John Franklin II, March 18, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. R. S. Glidden (Joan Dexter, '37), their second
child, a son, Shelby Dexter, October 21 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Ben Gamble, ex '38, a daughter, Alice Jane,
March 11, 1950.
Major and Mrs. Harold Wicklund, ex '40, (Dorothy Armstrong,
'38), their third child, a son, John Wilbur, August 8, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Downer Minear, '39, (Catharine E.
Pond, '39), their fourth child, a son, Kenneth Edward,
November 28, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. H. M. Hunsicker (Neva Ingram, ex '39), a son,
H. Ray, August 4, 1948.
Mr. and Mrs. H. F. Lamon, '40, (Ruth Crawford, '40), their
third child, a daughter, Sharon Ruth, March 1, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Stirling Leitch (Edith Hitch, '41), their fourth
child, a son, Albert Stirling, October 14, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Howell (Eleanor Mae Long, '41),
twin girls, Priscilla Annette and Gwendolyn Eleanor, January
Mr. and Mrs. Williams D. Gehres, '41, (Aletta Sims, '43).
their first child, a son, Walter Edwin II, December 19, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. John W. Proffitt, ex '41, (Martha Sherer, ex '42),
their third child, a daughter, Mary Gray, March 15, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. John A. Kerr, '42, (Helen Louise Anderson, '44),
their second child, a daughter, Linda Jane, October 27, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry B. Andrews (Lucette deBarritt, '42), their
first child, a daughter, Renee deBarrit*. October 29, 1949.
Rev. and Mrs. George Tibbetts, '42, (Marjorie Orcutt, '40),
their second child, a son, George Allison, January 27, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Story Bushing, '43 (Dorothy Barber, '42),
their second child, a daughter, Barbera Ann, November 28,
Dr. and Mrs. A. E. Shorten (Mary Virginia Williams, '43),
their third child, a son, David Edward, August 2, 1949.
Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Gilpatrick, ex '44, (Eleanor Elizabeth
Williams, '43), their third child, a daughter, Mary Ann.
Mr. and Mrs. Lyle E. Schaller (Agnes Woods Peterson, '45),
a son, Walter Edwin, August 1, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Curtis W. Wright, '46, (Frances Sisk, '43),
their second child, a daughter, Barbara Anne, December 21
Mr. and Mrs. James Donald Kent, '46, (Mary Wintermute, ex
'44), their third child, a daughter, Rachel, January 19, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Andy L. Sprinkle (Dorothy Louise Justus, '46),
their first child, a son, Kenneth Lloyd, February 23, 1950.
Rev. and Mrs. Thomas E. Henderson, '46, (Dorothy Buchanan,
'42). their second child, a daughter, Deris Annette, Feburary
Capt. and Mrs. John D. Kilpatrick (Bette Lou McCoy, '46),
their second child, a daughter, Sally Ida, November 9, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank A. Kramer, '47, (Ruth Bell Lloyd, '47),
their first child, a son, Lloyd Stephen, December 13, 1949.
Rev. and Mrs. J. W. Mathews (Evelyn Johnston Mathews,
ex '47), a son, James Johnston, July 11, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Sam Pemberton, '48 (Laura Lisette Gessert, '45),
their first child, a son, Samuel Haywood, Jr., November 13,
Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Engel, '48, (Marian Lewis, '48), their
second child, a daughter, Karen Elisabeth, December 18, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs John A. Dillener, '48, (Jean Lehman, '44), their
first child, a son, Jan Eric, February 24, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. John Walker Massie, '48, (Florence Dillener, '48),
their first child, a daughter, Barbara Ruth, January 12, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Smilie, ex '48. (Alverta Fink, '48),
their first child, a son, Mark Thomas, January 20, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Wilson, '49, (Sara Jo Kiger, '49), their first
child, a daughter, Mary Linda, December 4, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Porterfield, '50, their first child, a son,
William Bruce, March 8, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Noble Pribble, '50 (Emily Leery, '48), their first
child, a daughter, Jo Ann, October 31, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Reid, '50, their first child, a daughter, Heather
Ann, January 1, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Peter Wilkerson have adopted a boy in the last
year. Mrs. Wilkerson (Jessie Wild) taught drama and speech
here in 1948-1949.
Cecil Vernon Marley, '32, to Martha Katherine Walker, ex '35,
March 22, 1950.
Betty Jean Brewer, '35, to Julius Whitney Boykin, November
Ruth Boast Finne, '39, to Robert M. Robertiello, Fall 1949.
Genevieve McCalmont, '40, to Byron Tevis, Fall 1949.
F. LeRoy McGaha, '42, to Phyllis L. Bingham, December 28,
Arthur Hubert Rust, '44, to Dorris Thompson, June 6, 1949.
Esther Firrow, '45, to Robert H. McGarey, May 7, 1949.
Catherine Payne, '46, to James Matthew Gary, May 5, 1949.
Norma Belle Burns, ex '47, to Robert Lee Cook, December 23,
Barbara Joyce Blair, '48, to Edward Gill Bennett, December 21,
Gelolo Iris Kell, '48, to Robert Charles Wilson, ex '49, February
Mary Gene Lawson, '48, to Charles William Roberts, '50,
October 14, 1949. '
Elizabeth J. Saint, '48, to Frederick Russell Wilson, '47, 1949.
Carolyn Winfrey, ex '48, to Madison B. Adams, Jr., January 26,
Elizabeth Alice McChesney, '49, to E. T. Browne, Jr., February
Mildred Grey Miller, '49, to James Steadman Black, '49, Decem-
ber 26, 1949.
(Continued on Next Page)
A scene from "Down in the Valley." one oi Kurt Weill's "Thirty-
Minute Operas." This is one based on folk sonq=;. It was produced
by the Opera Workshop, a cooperative project of the entire
Division of fine Arts. It was given twice in one evening in
the Alumni Gym with different leads and piano accompanists
for the two performances.
(Continued from previous page)
William Justice Miracle, ex '49, to Barbara Ann Emmons,
December 28, 1949.
John M. Poland, '49, to Giwneth Williams, '49, December 22,
Katharine E. Theda, ex '49, to Dr. James McNulty, September
Frederick Lowry Waggoner, ex '51, to Troy Belle Lane,
December 14, 1949.
WHO'S WHO AMONG STUDENTS
This year eight seniors were elected b' - the Student Council
and Executive Council of the Faculty to "Who's Who Among
Students in American Colleges and Universities."
Donald Robert Boring, Friendsville. has played varsity
football, basketball and baseball, and last year was president
of the Athletic Association. He has made the honor roll for
Henry Abbot Callaway, Jr., Maryville, is president of the
Senior Class and vice president of the YMCA, and last year
was president of Men's Student Organization. He has been
a member of the football team for thiee years and of the
wrestling team for four years. He is the son of Dr. Henry A.
Callaway, ex-' 17.
William Houston Chalker, Birmingham, Alabama, is presi-
dent of the YMCA. Last year he was president of his class
and he has been a member of the Student-Faculty Senate
for two years. He has been on the honor roll even' year.
Margaret Anne Cummings, Maryville, has been active in
the YWCA, being treasurer in her junior year and a Nu Gamma
leader her sophomore year. She is a member of Tau Kappa Chi,
women's musical organization, and of Pi Kappa Delta, national
forensics organization. She has been on the honor roll every
year. Peggy is the daughter of Mrs. John W. Cummings, of
the Bible and Religious Education faculty; her father was
Dr. Cummings. Dean of Students in 1935-1936.
James Raymond Holsey, Baltimore, Maryland, is president
of MSO and has been both president and vice president of
the Ministerial Association. He is a member of the YMCA
cabinet this year and was vice president last year. He has
been a member of the football team for four years.
Dorothy Louise Holverson, Monticello, Indiana, is president
of the YWCA and was editor of the 1949 Chilhowean. She
belongs to Theta Alpha Phi (dramatics} Writers' Workshop
and the Vesper Choir.
William Walter Nish, Santa Cruz, California, is president
of the Student Council and last year was president of the
YMCA. He is active in dramatics and is a member of Theta
Alpha Phi. He has made the honor roll every year.
Virginia Fisler Schwarz, Glenside, Pa., is president of the
Women's Student Government Association, secretary of the
Student-Faculty Senate, and a member of the YWCA cabinet.
She also belongs to the Writers' Workshop and All Girls Choir.
Four of the men are veterans— Bob Boring, Tubby Callaway,
Bill Chalker, and Ray Holsey.
The 1950 debate squad, composed of some twenty students,
had a successful season. Teams attended five tournaments:
one at Sewanee. the State Tournament held at Cookeville,
the South Atlantic at Hickory, North Carolina, the Pi Kappa
Delta Regional at Athens, Georgia, and the Blue Grass at Lex-
At the State Tournament, the Maryville women's team
took first place in debate; Maryville contestants won first place
in both men's and women's oratory, first in after-dinner speak-
ing, and second in women's impromptu. A Maryville speaker
won the annual peace oratorical trophy, while another Maryville
candidate placed third in this event.
At the South Atlantic Tournament, the Maryville men's
debate team tied for first place. Maryville took first and second
in women's oratory, first in men's oratory, first in men's after-
dinner speaking and first in women's impromptu.
Maryville men tied for first in debate at the Pi Kappa
Delta Tournament. The College also took first in men's oratory,
first in women's extempore, second in women's impromptu,
and second and third in women's oratory.
Five individual non-decision debates were held with
Waynesboro College of Waynesboro, Pennsylvania, Lincoln
Memorial University, and the University of Tennessee.
THE MARYVILLE COLLEGE PARISH
The Maryville College Parish is finishing its fourteenth
;ar of activity. During the year sixty-four college students
have participated in the program in some capacity. Thirty
were in the work both semesters, and the others for one semester
In the present semester fifty assignments are in effect,
distributed by classes as follows: seniors sixteen, juniors twenty-
two, and sophomores twenty-six. The Parish continues its
policy of using only members of the upper three classes. As
might be expected, students in the program this year come from
a large number of states seventeen to be exact, ranging from
Colorado and North Dakota to Florida and Massachussets. The
largest number come— yes, you guessed— from Pennsylvania (13)
with Tennessee next (10), then New Jersey (7) and New
Twelve students work in rural Sunday Schools, which
they reach by the College Station Wagon (in its fourth year, with
almost 30,000 miles behind it, but going strong!). Here they act
as superintendents, teachers of classes, leaders of music, and
pianists. This work is in cooperation with the Presbyterian
Sunday School missionary, the Rev. Wm B. MacCready, who
supervises and counsels in this work. Six students work in
two Maryville missions, supplementing the leadership which New
Providence Presbyterian Church provides. Five others are active
in other Maryville churches, in Sundav School teaching and
in choir work. Two students provide leadership for a young
people's program in a rural church.
Twenty-five go out to three rural elementary schools and
have a period of worship and Bible teaching once a week. Each
college student takes over a school grade for about forty minutes.
Reports from the principals of these schools tell of the interest
of the boys and girls in the program. Partly it is the singing;
partly the Bible stories that are used; partly the special features
which the parish teachers plan for their groups. Sometimes
the group prepares a special program. Or interesting handwork
has a new appeal to a class. And last fall, one parish teacher
took his group on an all-day hike as an extra special outing.
Before the program begins in the fall and after the Christmas
vacation, pupils in the rural schools are asking teachers, "When
are the college teachers coming?"
This program receives college credit, three hours for the
first year, and one hour for the second. A few students are so
interested in their projects that they stay on for a third year as
'emeritus' workers. Usually this longer stay means a more effective
work, for such students are much more completely accepted
by the Sunday School group; they are not outsiders, but interested
and understanding leaders.
For first-year workers there is a one-hour college class,
which takes up the problems and program of the small church
ichool. For week-day teachers, there are conferences with faculty
advisers, Mrs. John Cummings, Mr. D. L. Engelhardt, and
Dr. Ralph T. Case, for planning the week-day sessions.
Usually most of the college men are pre-ministerial students,
though a few others are interested in the Parish as a service
project because of interest in children or in helping small rural
churches as preparation for lay leadership. Some of the college
women are planning for church work as a vocation, though
many are working in the parish program for the good that
they can do and as preparation for later church work on a volun-
teer basis. Such interest continues in a lively fashion from year
to year; and this year, as in previous years, there is a waiting
list of applicants for openings in the Parish, hoping to be used
at least in the next semester.
Thanksgiving Day and Barnwarming, the Messiah, final
examinations, Christmas Vespers, even Christmas vacation, all
seem long ago but they were important events in the program
of the college year.
Since Christmas the main topic has been the weather.
January and February were extremely warm and rainy and then
in March came the coldest weather of the winter. The February
Meetings were outstanding and the rain seemed to have no
effect on the attendance. The Opera Wcrkship production and
the Experimental Theatre plays, the Artists Series the basketball
games and wrestling matches, the spring sports, the minstrel
show for the World Student Service Fund, choir concerts on the
campus and in the town and in churches in nearby towns,
debate trips, the Easter services, including the lovely sunrise
service in the Amphitheatre, comprehensive examinations, May
Day (the theme is to be "Alice in Wonderland"), —all these
are familiar to alumni and will remind them of how varied and
now numerous campus activities can be.
Commencement, of course, is the climax and this year with
the largest class in Maryville's history graduation should be
more exciting than ever. On the inside cover of this issue is
given a calendar of events. We hope a good many of you alumni
will come. If you write us at the Alumni Office in advance we
shall be glad to help with room reservations, banquet tickets,
play tickets, and the like. Remember how beautiful the campus
and the Smoky Mountains are in May.
Here And There
Mrs. Nellie Bartlett Cort writes that she was ninety-one
last August. She has been living in Hollister, Missouri, for
many years; her widowed daughter now lives with her.
Roy S. Hanna, whose home is in St. Petersburg, Florida,
writes that although he is totally blind he still enjoys all the
things young people do and is interested in all the affairs of
William W. Hastings is retired from the ministry and from
teaching and is living in Hancock, New Hampshire.
Consul-General Edwin S. Cunningham, who has been living
in Maryville since his retirement, is in Florida for the winter.
Rev. O. C. Wallace was honored at a reception on March
18, 1950, in observance of his twenty -third anniversary as
pastor of the Second Presbyterian Church of Maryville. It was
also his fiftieth anniversary as a minister.
Dr. Theron Alexander has retired from the active ministry
and is living in Tallahassee, Florida.
Dr. Edward W. Lodwick has moved from a pastorate at
Seville, Ohio, to one at Freeport, Ohio.
Ruth C. Newell is doing practical nursing in and around
Eugene D. Jackson Sr., well known Nashville attorney
and vice president of the Nashville Bar and Library Association,
has recently been named as a member of the Nashville Board
of Education. Mrs. Jackson is the former Jessie M. McReynolds
(Prep. Special Student, '10-'13).
Howard Wilson, who lives in Knoxville, has gone to Florida
for a few weeks after a month's illness.
Dr. A. B. Caldwell is working with the United States
Indian Service as Supervisor of Indian Education in Oklahoma,
North Carolina, and Mississippi. His home is in Muskogee,
R. W. Carver has for several years been Dean of the Cleven-
ger College of Business Administration in Hickory, North
Carolina. The school now has an enrollment of 726.
Commodore B. Fisher, '16 and Mrs. Fisher (Franfee Shed-
dan, '17) (in the center of the front rcnv~) with the other mem-
bers of the staff of the Community School, Teheran, Iran. The
Fishers are in charge of the school, which is for English speaking
children. Their son Craig will graduate f'om Maryville in May.
W. Wade Haggard, President of Western Washington
College, in Bellingham, was on the campus in March.. He had
been in Atlantic City for the National Educational Association
meetings and was visiting his sisters in Knoxville.
Mrs. Samuel W. McClary (Madrith Purdy) writes from
their home in Kent, Ohio, that she and Sam are well and happy.
Sam is still buiiding and remodeling houses. Mrs. McClary is
a substitute teacher in the local high school. Their son is in his
second year's work at Kent State University.
Mr. and Mrs. Virgil C. McClung (Margaret Walton, '24)
are now living in California. Mr. McClung is with the engineer-
ing department of North American Aviation, located in Los
Gene W. Stanbery is Chief Chemist of the Tannin Extract
Division of The Mead Corporation in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Theodore C. Purdy owns and operates a drug store known
as the Overstreet's Pharmacy in Louisville, Kentucky. He
married a Louisville girl in 1940, and they have three children.
He sends an invitation to his friends and acquaintances to
visit him when in Louisville.
Mrs. Roy E. Kyle (Sara Sheffield) is serving as president
of the Virginia Federation of Women's Clubs representing over
nineteen thousand women. She attributes much of her success
in leadership to her training at Maryville.
Rev. Merlin Fred Usner, who has been pastor of the
Bethel Presbyterian Church in New Orleans, Louisiana, is
now serving as pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Louis-
Dr. Julian Johnson has been made full Professor of Surgery
at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital.
Miss Panfila Babista has been a very welcome visitor on
the campus. She has been doing kindergarten work and since
1948 has been promotional secretary of the National Women's
Organization in the Philippines. She is now in the United
States on a Presbyterian Restoration Fund scholarship. Miss
Babista was a Special Student at Maryville College in 1927-28.
Dr. Dorothy Ferris, medical missionary to India since
1935, has been a visitor on the campus. Dr. Ferris is head of
the Frances Newton Hospital, Ferozepur, India.
Rev. Ernest Frei, missionary in Maniia, reports much damage
was done to mission property by the November typhoon. Mr.
Frei's daughter expects to enter Maryville next fall.
Rev. J. Hayden Laster is moving from French Camp, Mis-
iisippi, to a pastorate in Milan, Tennessee.
Evelyn H. Seedorf is Assistant Professor of Speech at the
University of Denver. She received her Ph. D. degree from the
University of Wisconsin in 1947.
Centre College of Kentucky conferred the honorary D. D.
degree upon the Rev. W. Russell Gilmoie last October. Since
1941 Dr. Gilmore has been pastor of the Warren Memorial
Church of Louisville, Kentucky. He is a member of the executive
committee and secretary of the Board of Directors of Louisville
Emmet E. Stidham, who has been a Board Field Represen-
tative with headquarters in Corinth, Mississippi, has moved to
Coffeeville, Mississippi, where he is pastor of a parish of five
churches. His daughter Barbara is a sophomore in Maryville
Sam Broughton writes ecstatically (see Births) and invites
all his friends to visit him at "The Sam Broughton Esso Station
and Battery Service" in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
Evelyn Roberts is commercial teachei at Fassifem school,
Hendersonville, North Carolina.
Ruth Guthrie is teaching first grade at Chagrin Falls, Ohio,
and is finding it very interesting.
The University of Chicago has given a National Award to
Clifton Moore lor his radio production "Faith for Tomorrow,"
which was broadcast over N. B. C. from coast to coast. Mr.
Moore has also written and produced seven half-hour radio
programs, four of which were sent around the world by the
Armed Forces Radio Series.
Mr. Philip Sorce has transferred from the Presbytery of
Cleveland to become pastor of the Olivet Church, Lima, Ohio.
Rev. Herbert H. Fuller is now pastor of the Presbyterian
Church at Independence, Ohio. He has written for literature
for several of the young people of his church who are interested
m Maryville College as have other alumni who are pastors.
W. Malcolm Gwaltney assisted at the dedication of the
Wasatch Presbyterian Church in Salt Lake City, Utah, last
October. Mr. Gwaltney is pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church in Salt Lake City.
For the first time a Protestant seminary has been organized
in Portugal, and Michael Testa, field secretary of the Presby-
terian committee on evangelical cooperation there, has been
made principal. We can be proud that Presbyterianism is
responsible for establishing this seminary. Mr. Testa served as
a chaplain during the war and then had a three-year pastorate
before going to Portugal. Mrs. Testa (Christine Holscher ex-'44)
besides her home duties, which include the care of their two
children, David and Susan, is seminary librarian and bookkeeper
for the mission.
Lillian Armstrong is General Supervisor for Lee County
schools, with headquarters at Ft. Myers, Florida.
Rev. Earle W. Crawford, associate pastor of the Second
Presbyterian Church in Knoxville, Tennessee, for the past
four years, has accepted a call to the First Presbyterian Church
in Wichita Falls, Texas.
Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Little (Edith Burns '30) have been
living in Edwardsville, Illinois, for eight years. Mr. Little is
teaching in the commercial department of the high school, and
for the past two years Mrs. Little has taught the home-bound
handicapped children in the local school system.
Ernest and Eula Sibcy Mathews, missionaires in Yucatan,
Mexico, are home this year on furlough and are now at Louisville
Presbyterian Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky.
Leland Shanor has been at the University of Illinois,
Department of Botany, for the past eight years. The Department's
Christmas Newsletter reported that Prolessor Shanor is the
newly-elected secretary of the Illinois State Academy of Science,
is on the editorial committee of the Illinois Biological Mono-
graphs, and is the Department's representative on the graduate
committee which administers the program in Plant Pathology.
Mention is made of six articles in current issues of scientific
magazines or in press of which Professor Shanor is author or
co-author. Among the distinguished botanists whom the News-
letter lists as visitors to the University is Dr. Alma J. Whiffen
(M. C. '37). Mycologist, Research Laboratories of the Upjohn
A news release from "Christian Missions" tells of the work
of Samuel W. Blizzard as Assistant Professor of Sociology and
Rural Sociology at Pennsylvania State College. Mr. and Mrs.
Blizzard (Harriet Barber '39) have purchased a new home
near Andrew E. Newcomer, Jr.. '32, in State College, Penn-
Harold J. Quigley has resigned from the pastorate of
Ninth Church. Troy, New York, to go to the Protestant Radio
Commission, New York City.
Dr. Edward J. Scott has accepted a position as Assistant
Professor of Mathematics at the University of Illinois, Cham-
paign, Illinois. He received a Ph. D. degree from Cornell in 1947.
Rev. and Mrs. Robert Smyrl (Marie Jensen '40) have
moved from Trenton to 92 Putnam Street, Tunkhannock,
Rev. James H. Wade, of Hopewell, Virginia, has accepted
a call to the Cradock Presbyterian Church, Portsmouth, Virginia,
effective April 1
Evan W. Renne is pastor of the Centre Presbyterian Church,
New Park,- Pennsylvania. In the same Presbytery are Howard
L. Davies and Everett D. Gray, both of the class of 1939.
Dr. James N. Proffitt who has been on the Surgical Staff
at Vanderbilt Hospital, Nashville, Tennessee, has returned to
Maryville to make his home. He is now on the staff of Blount
Memorial Hospital here in Maryville.
Leland T. Waggoner, manager of the Boston office of tie
Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York, has written
a sixty-page booklet entitled "A Road Map for the New Agent."
Ten thousand copies have already been sold.
Rev. Warren Ashby has accepted a position as head of
the Philosophy Department of the Woman's College of the
University of North Carolina, located at Greensboro, North
Carolina. He finds teaching very enjoyable and also likes the
administrative work. As extras he preacher and teaches at youth
conferences. Mrs. Ashby will be remembered as Helen Frances
In a letter written February 14 trom a British coastal
freighter, Bruce Morgan reports that after much consultation
and discussion it was decided that he and his family should
serve in the Siam mission until their furlough in 1951. They
have been assigned to Chiengmai where he is to divide his
time between teaching in the McGilvary Theological Seminary
and observation of and participation in a Christian rural
cooperative in the Chiengrai area, some one hundred miles to
the northeast near the Indo-China border.
Francis M. Seely, '42, and Mrs. Seely (Ruth West, '40)
are also stationed at Chiengmai.
John Newman Badgett, Jr., Maryville attorney, was chosen
"Young Man of the Year" for 1949, in the annual Jaycee-
Elsie Klingman has been working under the Board of Nat-
ional Missions of the Presbyterian Church since her graduation.
She is now executive at the Home of Neighborly Service in
Brighton, Colorado. This is work with Spanish children.
E. B. Smith received his Ph. D. degree from the University
of Chicago, December 16, 1949. He is now Associate Professor
of History at Youngstown College, Youngstown, Ohio.
Russ Stevenson has recently accepted a position as Area
Secretary for India and the Near East with the Foreign Missions
Conference of North America, an interdenominational agency
with offices in New York. Last July Russ, his wife, and three
children returned from Egypt where they had completed a five-
year term under the United Presbyterian Board of Foreign
Missions. Russ has spent this winter in graduate study at
Harold Wicklund (ex-'40) has been promoted to the rank
of Major and is in the Air Corps Division Training Program
at the University of Florida, Gainesville. Mrs. Wicklund was
Dorothy Armstrong, '38.
Rev. and Mrs. John Wintermute are now living in Las
Animas, Colorado, where he is pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church. Mr. Wintermute was pastor of the Waldensian Presby-
terian Church in Chicago for the past three years. Mrs. Winter-
mute was Miriam Berst, '40.
William Edgar Baird holds the rank of Major in the Marine
Corps and is now stationed in Washington, D. C.
Paul L. Brown is Assistant Professor of Religion and
Philosophy at the University of Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Philip Evaul, '41 and Margaret Cloud Evaul, '39, with Phyllis,
Billy, and Bobhy.
Sam Cornelius received his Ph. D. degree in English from
the University of Pittsburgh last summer and is now teaching
at Memphis State College, Memphis, Tennessee.
Christmas greetings and a newsletter came from the
Evauls, who are stationed in Rancagua, Chile. It is in a mining
section and Phil goes to the mining camps on weekends. Peggy
takes charge of the children's department in Rancagua and
helps with the Women's League, but they have made Vacation
Bible Schools their pet project. Besides the work in Spanish
they have started services in English for the Americans in the
town and in the camps. In March when the new school year
begins, Phyllis will start "going to school ' to her mother, who
will teach the children at home under the Calvert system.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard S. Howell (Eleanor Mae Long '41),
of Washington, D. C, are justly proud of their twin daughters.
(See births.) The girls were one of eleven sets of twins born
January 1 throughout the United States and will receive five
hundred dollars worth of gifts from the Toni Co.'s second
annual twin derby. Eleanor received a Master of Fine Arts
degree from Columbia University in 1943 and last year taught
art in Silver Spring, Maryland.
John Vernon Lloyd is located in Kansas City, Missouri,
where he is a member of the regional legal staff of Montgomery
Christmas greetings were received from Ray and Margaret
Pittman (Margaret Lodwick). They are in the mission field,
stationed at Caiaponia, Goiaz, Brazil.
George D. Webster, who was graduated from Harvard Law
School in 1948, is working in the Department of Justice in
Rev. Robert L. Wilcox has been appointed associate pastor
of the Church Street Methodist Church. Knoxville, Tennessee.
Mrs. Wilcox is also a graduate of Maryville, the former Margaret
Kern Hodges, '41.
Raymond Dewees, who is an army Captain, was in the
Mediterranean on maneuvers last fall.
LeRcy McGaha (see marriages) is employed as an Engineer
on the Cumberland Division of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
Edythe Persing is doing public health nursing with the
Calhoun County Health Department of Marshall, Michigan.
Mr. and Mrs. Herbert C nai 4 es Tuell (Johnye Sue Long)
have recently located in Denver, Colorado. Mr. Tuell graduated
from Georgia Tech. last September and is associated with the
American Rolling Mills. Mrs. Tuell transferred from the Atlanta
office of the General Insurance Companv to the Denver office.
Friends of Richard W. Watkins will be interested to hear
be has recently been named supervisor of the Census in the
Fourth District. His headquarters will be in Newman, Georgia,
and he will have active charge of the work in the fifteen
counties comprising this District. Dick has been practicing law
in Jackson, Georgia, since graduating from the University of
Georgia Law School.
Rev. James F. Garvin has moved from Chinquapin, North
Carolina, to Mineral Wells, Texas.
Elizabeth S. Hains is "enjoying teaching Bible and swim-
ming" at Miss Harris' private school in Miami, Florida.
Ted Kidder and his wife (Cordelia Dellinger, '44) are in
Paris this winter where Ted is studying oriental art. Ted received
his master's degree in this field at New York University. They
hope to return to the United States this summer via Japan.
Hal B. Lloyd completed his three-year term in the Philip-
pines and returned to the United State:, by air in January.
He was in Japan about ten days on his way home and while
there spent some time with Bob Barker, '46, and Mr. and Mrs.
Sam H. Franklin, Jr., '24 'Dorothy Winters, '25). Since his
return Hal has been serving as an Acting Secretary of Mission-
ary Personnel for the Board of Foreign Missions and is traveling
all over the United States speaking and interviewing candidates.
William J. Sweeney finished medical school in June, 1949,
and is doing intern work at the Xew York Hospital, specializing
in OBS-GYX. He is staying on next year as Assistant Resident
Rhoda Firor, Douglas MacMartin and Harold Henry, '49,
are back at the College this semester, taking courses in Education.
Ann Horton is working in the foods and nutrition depart-
ment of the Colegio Presbiteriano located at Caibarien, Cuba.
Ann's many friends will be sorry to hear that her father, mother,
and grandmother died in an automobile accident the latter part
nf August, 1949.
Classmates and friends of Arthur Hubert Rust will be
interested to know of his successful work as pastor of the First
Presbyterian Church of Live Oak, Florida. He has been there
Robert W. Bayless, ex '45, last Xovember wrote that he was
playing football in the Marine Corps, he was then at Cherry
Point, Xorth Carolina.
Joseph M. Brown is assistant pastor at the Presbyterian
Church in Glenshaw, a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Miss Jessie L. Fowler ? ex '45, is working with the Visiting
Xurse Service of Xew York.
Marian R. Garvin is employed by the Arabian American
Oil Company as an operating nurse in one of their three hospi-
tals for American employees located in Saudi, Arabia. She
will be there three years.
John Edward Gates is teaching in Gerard Institute, Sidon,
Lebanon. He sailed September first and wiil be gone three years.
Mrs. Lyle Schaller (Agnes Woods Peterson) writes that
every issue of the Bulletin is a treat and all work is neglected
until it is read. Mr. and Mrs. Schaller both received their M. S.
degrees from the University of Wisconsin last June.
Madeline Cooke, ex '46, writes from Mexico that she has
a graduate assistantship at Mexico City College. She teaches
two classes in English and is studying for her master's in Spanish.
She expects to be there until August, 1951.
Captain and Mrs. John D. Kilpatrick (Bette Lou McCoy)
have been transferred to Hill Air Force Base, Ogden, Utah.
Helen Marie Wilson is studying at the University of
Pennsylvania. She hopes to receive her M. A. in English in
Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Broadhead have announced the
engagement of their daughter Ruth to Lieut. Walter Zarnowski.
Miss Broadhead is assistant field directo' with the American
Red Cross stationed at Osaka. Japan, ana Lieut. Zarnowski is
stationed there with the 27th Infantry.
Mary Case received her master's degree in botany at the
University of Tennessee on March 18. Since February she has
been working in the biological laboratories at Oak Ridge, Tenn-
Tom Parkinson is working toward his Ph. D. in history at
the University of Maryland. He received his M. A. from the
University of Xorth Carolina.
Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Anderson (Jessie Lou Brunson, '47)
are living in Tampa. Lloyd is now Director of Safety Services
with the Tampa Chapter of the Red Cross. His sister Evelyn,
'49', has a temporary job with the Red Cross.
Elizabeth Crawford has accepted a position as secretary
to Mr. Alexander, Dean of Men at East Tennessee State College,
Johnson City, Tennessee.
Dorothy G. Crowson is teaching fourth, fifth, and sixth
grades in the elementary school in her home town of Loughman,
Florida, and says she loves it.
Paul Kolter received his master's degiee in botany at the
University of Tennessee on March 18.
Friends will be grieved to learn of the death of Mrs. Harold
Russell on Xcv ember 5, 1949. She leaves Harold and a five-
year-old daughter. The Maryville alumni at Princeton Seminary
have designated their Chapel Fund gift as a memorial to her.
Richard S. Smilie, ex '48, finished his college course at
the University cf Dubuque and is a student at Western Theo-
logical Seminary in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Sam Broyles is teaching Introductory Sociology on a
Fellowship this quarter at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
A very interesting and enthusiastic letter from Dorothea
Frederick tells of her work at Haines house, Haines, Alaska.
Her work is mostly in the office but she helps with the girls
in the school. There are about forty children, mostly Indian
with a few part Eskimo and a few Aleuts. Haines is a small
town in a beautiful location almost surrounded by snow-covered
John Keel\ is assistant to the director of the group practice
clinic in Xorth Carolina Baptist Hospital, Winston-Salem.
John Poland is attending Vanderbilt University where he
is working for his M. A. in Political Science.
Fourteen members of the Class of 1950 graduated at
Christmas and aie already far out in the "cold, cold world":
Kenneth C. Andes will work on the census in this area.
Robert C. Eastman is in Philadelphia at present and expects
to enter Dallas Theological Seminary, Texas, in the fall.
John C. Fouche, Jr., has taken Civil Service exams and
expects to hear from them soon.
Charles F. Keeler and William Earl Young are in the
University of Tennessee Graduate School.
Charles L. Krueger is in St. Louis and expects to enter
Louisville Presbyterian Seminary in the fall.
Dillon Moroney, Jr., is working for the Production and
Marketing Administration in Maryville.
P. Herbert Parsons is at Louisville Presbyterian Seminary.
Clifford E. Porterfield is taking some extra courses at the
College this semester.
Xoble F. Pribble expects to enter M. I. T. in June.
Arthur D. Santmier is in the Graduate School of the Uni-
versity of Iowa
Muriel Headrick Smith is at home now and expects to
teach next fall.
Carroll R. Stegall, Jr., is at Moody Bible Institute, Chicago.
Mary Mitchell Wooldridge is a hostess at Beaumont Inn
in her home town of Harrodsburg, Kentucky, and plans to
enter a graduate school next fall.
Mrs. Ocey Walker Welsh > '93, died at her home in Mary-
ville November 11, 1949, after a long illness. She was the wife
of Rev. Howard M. Welsh, '95, and the mother of Robert, '29,
Hubert, '30, and Mary Sloane, '34.
Mrs. W. J. Huffstetler (Cora Henry) died on January 22,
1950 Mrs. Huffstetler attended the Preparatory Department for
six years between 1891 and 1898. She is survived by a son,
W. J., Jr., and a daughter, Grace Huffstetler Rowan, ex '23.
Miss Clemmie J. Henry, Director of Studrnt-Help, is her sister.
Edward Montgomery, '97, of Knoxville Tennessee, died
February 9, He is survived by his wife, Mary Estella Crawford,
who also attended Maryville and by one sen and one daughter.
Mr. Montgomery was for thirty years a city mail carrier; he
retired some years ago. In 1947 he was present at Commence-
men. for the fiftieth anniversary of his graduation from college
and in 1948 he and Mrs. Montgomery celebrated their Golden
Stanley Hamilton Jewell, '07, died at his home in Barton,
Maryland, on March 23, 1950. He was pastor of the Presbyterian
Church of Barton, where he had served for many years. He is
survived by his wife and one sister, Ruth Jewell Bradford, '11,
of Benton, Tennessee.
Mrs. Thomas F. Broady (India Patton, ex '07) died Feb-
ruary 28, 1950, at her home in Maryville. She had been ill
since October. She is survived by her husband and one daughter.
Mark Blaine Crum, '17, prominent Maryville businessman,
died suddenly at his home February 27, 1950. His friends knew
him as "Major," the rank he attained during the first World
War. At the time of his death he headed an insurance agency
and mortgage loan business. He is survived by his wife and
Miss Mary L. Clemens, ex '17, died January 17. She
entered the Prep Department in 1906 at the age of twelve and
attended eight years. In 1915, at the end of her sophomore year
in college, she began teaching in the elementary schools of Mary-
ville. At the time of her death, she was the first-grade teacher at
Ft Craig School.
Jasper Morgan Cox, '21, died December 31, 1949. At the
time of his death he was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church,
Braddock, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Cox is the former Dexter Clayton - ,
'20. Their daughter Patricia is a junior m Maryville this year.
Betty Mc Arthur Millison, '41, died suddenly and unexpect-
edly on March 10. in Greenville, Pennsylvania, where her
husband Henry L. Millison, '41, is pastor of the United Presby-
terian Church. They have one son. Betty was the sister of Mary,
'31 David, '36. Donnell, '37, Irvin, '47, and Virginia. '48.
A very interesting and impressive service was held at
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Maryville, on October 30,
1949. when the new organ was dedicated to the "glory of God
and the memory of his servant, Ralph Colbert." Mr. Colbert
will be remembered as a member of the Maryville College music
faculty for six years beginning in 1936. He died August 3, 1943.
DONT FORGET YOUR DUES
There is still time to pay your 1949-1950 dues before
the close of the Alumni Association's fiscal year on June
30. This money is used for the magazine, and toward
other current expenses of the Alumni Office. If everyone
paid his dues regularly the Association would be able
to do more and would need to worry less about the
bills. So send your $2.00— and at the same time send
us a news item about vourself.
THE UNDEFEATED 1949 TENNIS TEAM
Last spring the tennis team won nine matches and lost
none, against L. M. U.. Tusculum, Milhgan, Carson-Newman,
and Tennessee Wesleyan. Their schedule this year is:
University of Tennessee
L. M. U.
East Tenn. State
T. P. I.
ALPHA GAMMA SIGMA
Eighteen seniors were elected to Alpha Gamma Sigma,
Maryville's honor scholarship society. This is ten per cent of
the class, which is the limit allowed by the rules of the Society.
Those elected are: Sue Althouse, Duncan Bennett (son of
Marion Henry Bennett, T9), Jack Buckley, William Chalker,
Margaret Cummings, Walter Dean (brother of Martha Dean
Hall, '45 and Kathryn Dean, '47), Helen Disbrow, Ruth
Heaps (sister of Jeanne Louise Heaps, '47 and Henry W. Heaps,
who was here before the war and is now back in college), Sarah
Heinekamp, Martha Kincaid, Charles Mabry, Eric Meadows
(brother of Georgia Meadows Woodward, '44), William Nish,
Mary Annis Beals Pearson (granddaughter of Annis Duncan
Beals. (92), Benjamin Sheldon, Caryl Stovell, Jo- Ann Stroud,
and Daniel Winter.
The annual recognition service was held March 29. The
speaker was Dr. Ralph T. Overman, Director of Special Studies,
Institute of Nuclear Studies, Oak Ridge.
Dr. Stringham, known to seven generations of college students,
leading the singing at one of the evening services in the church.
President Lloyd with Dr. Elliott and Dr. Stringham.
THE 1950 FEBRUARY MEETINGS
Rev. Dr. William M. Elliott, Jr., proved to be a most
effective and inspiring leader of the February Meetings. The
morning services were held in the Gym as regular chapel is, and
the evening services in New Providence Church. Every evening
the church was crowded in spite of the he-jvy rain several nights.
Dr. Stringham, song leader for the twenty-eighth time, was
a day late in arriving because of the death of his father on
January 29. Ed Hamilton, '26, voice teacher at Knoxville High
School and the University of Tennessee, led the singing the
Dr. Elliot' is pastor of the Highland Park Presbyterian
Church, Dallas, Texas, and Dr. Stringham i< pastor of the Caban-
ne Methodist Church, St. Louis.
Waiting for the Y Store in the Student Center to open
A Student Council meeting in the Student Center.
The 1949 Baseball Squad