Skip to main content
FOUNDERS AND HOMECOMING DAY
18th Annual Observance
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 21, 1950
9:45 a.m.— Founders Day Address (Alumni Gymnasium) By Dr. John A. Mackay,
President of Princeton Theological Seminary
2:00-5:00 p.m.— Conducted Tours through the new Fine Arts Center
5:45 p.m.— Homecoming Barbecue on the Baseball Field (in case of rain, in the
Alumni Gymnasium). Price 50 cents per "plate."
8:00 p.m.— Homecoming Football Game with Emory and Henrv College of Virginia,
on new Maryville College Football Field. (Get your special alumni ticket
at the Alumni Office or at the Barbecue; special reduced price, 75 cents)
1 951 COMMENCEMENT
May 12, Saturday— Alumni Day
May 13, Sunday— Baccalaureate Day
May 16, Wednesday— Commencement Day
OFFICERS OF THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
President . Dr. William C. Crowder, '28
Vice-President . Dr. Wilbur S.' Johnson, '34
Recording Secretary Miss Winifred L. Painter, '15
Class of 1951: Mr. Arnold Kramer, '40; Mr. Joe L. Marshall, '28; Mrs. Clyde Murray, '13.
Class of 1952: Mrs. Fred DeLozier, '37; Mrs. John A. Kerr, '44; Mr. Rollo W. King, '41.
Class of 1953: Mr. Guy W. Sneed, '24; Mrs. John Kenst, '31; Mrs. Hugh Crawford, Jr., '35.
MARYVILLE COLLEGE BULLETIN
Published by Maryville College, Maryville. Tennessee
Ralph Waldo Lloyd, President
VOL. XLIX October, 1950 No. 5
Published bi-monthly by Maryville College. Entered May 24, 1904, at Maryville, Tennessee, as second-class
mail matter. Acceptance for mailing at special rate of postage provided for in Section 1103, Act of October
3, 1917, authorized February 10, 1919.
WILLIAM CLAY CROWDER. PRESIDENT OF THE
Dr. Crowder, whose home is in Maryville, graduated
from Maryville College in 1928 and from (he University of
Tennessee Medical College. Memphis, in 1932. He interned
at Evangelical Hospital. Chicago, and in 1934 joined his
father in practice in Maryville and immediately became
"Dr. Bill." He and his father, known to many generations
of college students, worked together until his father's death
Dr. Crowder has done post-graduate study at Cook
County Hospital. Chicago, and af Harvard University Med-
ical School. His practice now is confined entirely to in-
ternal medicine. He is Chief of Staff at Blount Memorial
Hospital, a hospital of 125 beds and the only one in this
In 1933 he married Grace Wilson, of Memphis, and they
have three sons.
Dear Fellow Alumni :
I feel honored in being elected to the Presidency of our Alumni Association. I
appreciate this privilege and hope to maintain the standards of my predecessors in
the promotion of Marvville College's ideals and excellent reputation "to the utter-
most parts of the earth."
To many of vou, who have not visited the College in late years, "the Hill" would
look very different and much improved. The Fine Arts Center is being completed
and is being used this year for the first time. The building is contemporary in design,
in line with the architecture of new buildings being erected on campuses of a num-
ber of other colleges over the nation. It represents a notable addition to the facil-
ities of the College. All alumni are deeply grateful to the donors.
With war in Korea, and the general unrest, there is the possibility of many of
our voung men being called into service. Whether alumni or undergraduates, these
men will carrv with them, wherever they may be, the Christian courage and good
morals instilled into them at Maryville College.
Though there have been some changes made in student education, the high
ideals and moral standards are the same under the Presidency of Ralph W. Lloyd.
Students continue to come from all over the world.
The Chapel, to replace Voorhees Chapel, is still to be built. It will be a memorial
to Dr. Samuel Tvndale Wilson, whom so many of us loved and respected. Consider-
able monev has been pledged and given for this building, but more will be needed
before it can be started. As an alumnus, I appeal to you to consider this project in
vour planned giving this vear.
$rnrttont ffilngft a fag*
DEAR ALUMNI OF MARYVILLE COLLEGE:
TWENTY YEARS.' It was on June 5, 1930, that President Samuel Tyndale Wilson announced his retire-
ment and that the Board of Directors did me the high honor of extending a call to become his successor. It was on
September 28, 1930 that I wired the Directors my acceptance of the call and announced my decision to the Edge-
wood Presbyterian Church, Pittsburgh, of which I was then pastor. It was on November 29, 1930, that Mrs. Lloyd
and I were formally welcomed to Maryville in Elizabeth R. Voorhees Chapel. And now it is October, 1950, twenty
As I write this message I am beginning preparation of my twentieth annual report to the Directors of the
College, who will hold their Fall Meeting on November 21. It is my purpose to make the first section of the report
a general summary of these twenty years and to have it printed in a form which can be mailed to alumni. It is
startling to realize that more than half of all the graduates of Maryville College since it was founded in 1819 have
graduated during these last twenty years. Considerably more than half of you who see this page are part of this
What a twenty-year period it has been!— Depression, war, victory, hopes, disappointment, struggles for re-
covery, world conflict for control, yet steady advances at the College. But the story of those years at the College must
be told in the twentieth annual report, not here.
"THE CHRISTIAN COLLEGE IN AMERICA" is the title of a pamphlet which I have been writing and
which has just come from the printer. In it I have tried to sum up the case for the Christian college. The issue is a
crucial one, more crucial than most of us realize, and I hope you will read and find of some practical value this
pamphlet which will be sent to you later. If you wish additional copies please write us for them.
CURRENT EVENTS AT MARYVILLE. The fiscal year of 1949-1950 closed on May 31 with the budget
balanced by a small margin. The academic year of 1950-1951 opened on August 29 with an enrollment of 825,
which is approximately ten percent below the 905 enrolled at the opening a year ago, for reasons suggested in a re
port elsewhere in this magazine. The Fine Arts Center is full of music and art students each day even though it
will not be completely ready until after November 1, I think. The Chapel Fund grew a good deal this summer
and neared a figure which could justify asking for bids, only to have war conditions make that impracticable at the
Several of our most trusted and capable officers and faculty have retired in recent months, and we are miss-
ing them in the new year. Articles concerning them will be found on other pages. New persons who have come
to fill the vacancies are making a good start.
I rejoice in the excellent reports which come concerning the service and progress of so many of you and
solicit your continuous and increasing support and prayers.
Very cordially yours,
/\7^C /^^lc xU~
The Fall Semester began on August 29 with the usual flurry
of opening day. The routine may he the same each year but not
the people. The freshmen arrive with varying degrees of antici-
pation, poise, homesickness; everyone looks them over trying to
size up the new class; old students greet each other vociferously;
faculty and students alike try to catch up on the happenings of
the summer. But by the end of the first week things have quieted
down and by mid-September the serious work of the year is well
And so it is in the fall of 1950. There was a new under-
current in the opening days this year— a considerable number of
cancellations by students affected through the war. These came
too late to fill the places from those whose applications had been
refused earlier because of lack of room.
The chapel services appear as full as ever with the 825 stu-
dents enrolled. But actually that is 79 fewer than the 904 of a
FOUNDERS DAY SPEAKER
The Founders Day address on October 21 will be given by
President John A. Mackay of the Theological Seminary, Prince-
ton, New Jersey. Dr. Mackay is one of the most eminent church
leaders of our day. He was born in Inverness, Scotland; holds
'the Master's degree with first class honors in philosophy from
the University of Aberdeen, Scotland; the B.D. degree from
Princeton Theological Seminary; the Doctor of Letters degree
from the University of Lima, Peru, and the University of Bonn,
Germany; the Doctor of Divinity degree from Princeton Univer-
sity, Aberdeen University, Debrecen University, Hungary, and
Presbyterian College, Montreal; and other honorary degrees
from Ohio Wesleyan, Albright, Boston University, and Lafay-
ette. He was for many years a leading missionary and scholar in
South America and has given lectures in many countries of the
world. He is President of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign
Missions, on the Central Committee of the World Council of
Churches, is Chairman of the International Missionary Council,
and holds many other important positions, including the editor-
ship of "Theology Today." He has been President of Princeton
Seminary since 1936.
GIFTS TO THE COLLEGE
Today when so much of the nation's money is taken up in
taxes and spent by government, and when the appropriations out
of tax funds to State universities and other public institutions so
overshadow all other educational finance, we tend to forget that
most of America's oldest colleges are financed by private gifts.
They must depend on gifts and Maryville 'continues to receive
benefactions from alumni and friends who believe in its service.
Announcement is made by President Lloyd that on August
18, 1950, the College received $87,682 in cash and securities
from the estate of the late Callie Wood Ross, of Knoxville and
California, This noble gift will be placed in the Endowment
Funds in accord with Mrs. Ross's will. The income is to be
used for support of faculty graduate study and for support of the
student help program. Maryville College and the University of
Tennessee shared alike in the residue of her estate.
ALUMNI CLURS AND
On April 24 the Northern
Ohio Maryville College Club
held a dinner meeting at the
Church, in Akron. Bill Mac-
Calmont, '36, is pastor of
the church and he and his
wife, Ruth Proffitt MacCal-
mont, '37, acted as host and
hostess. Rev. Arthur R. Kins-
ler, Jr., '24, is chairman of
the Club and Mrs. Albert
Slawson (Jeanne Fenn, '37)
Dr. Johnson. Vice-President oi
the Alumni Association.
On April 27 the New Eng-
land Maryville College Club
was organized at a dinner
meeting in Boston. Leland T.
Waggoner, '38, was elected
chairman and Mrs. John
Can (Lois Black, '38) secre-
tary-treasurer. _ .
Miss Painter, Recording Sec-
retary oi the Alumni Asso-
On April 29 the Philadelphia Club held its annual dinner.
The following officers for the ensuing year were elected: Chair-
man, David S. Marston, '29; vice chairman, Luther M. Ham-
mond, '28; secretary-treasurer, Mrs. Clyde W. Powell (Kathryn
Reed, '38). President Lloyd attended all three of these meetings.
A group of alumni living in San Diego met at the home of
Rev. and Mrs. Lester E. Bond, '15, on the afternoon of June 4,
"had hamburgers in the patio and talked Maryville College for
three hours." They decided to have another meeting in the
The National Capital Club held its annual dinner in the
Berwyn Presbyterian Church, Berwyn, Maryland, on June 16.
There were twenty-three present from the Washington-Baltimore
area. J. Edward Kidder, '16, retiring chairman of the Club, is
pastor of the Berwyn Church. The following officers for trie
year 1950-1951 were elected: Chairman, William J. Marston,
'33; vice chairman, Clifford T. Morgan, '36; secretary-treasurer,
Mrs. C. E. Warner (Helen Horton, '21).
The Ohio Valley Club held a picnic on July 21 at Farm-
wood, the home of Rev. and Mrs. E. Philip Vogel, '30 (Eleanor
Kuhlman, '30), near Cincinnati.
A Maryville College picnic was held in Lincoln Park,
Seatde, on September 9. Twenty-seven people attended from the
Seattle-Portland area. They decided that because of the long
distances and the limited number of alumni in the area a formal
organization would not be set up but that they would hold
another picnic next summer. A committee, consisting of W. L.
Haley, '09, chairman, Frank E. Baker, '30, and Gilbert O. Rob-
inson, '16, was chosen to organize the 1951 picnio W. Wade
Haggard, '17, served as chairman of the informal committee
which arranged the meeting this September.
THE FINE ARTS CENTER
The accompanying pictures show The Fine Arts Center
(this is the name which will be on the building in aluminum let-
ters) is almost, but not quite, completed.
The pictures show that it is a graceful and artistically con-
ceived and substantially constructed building. But they do not
begin to show its full size, its varied wings, its remarkable func-
tional qualities, or the detailed beauties over which all visitors
exclaim. Sometime in the future there will be a brochure with
enough photographs, both exterior and interior, to show the main
features. And it is hoped that the Spring issue of this Bulletin
can carry some later pictures and a floor plan.
It was expected that construction would be completed in
the summer but there were delays which are holding up some
materials until October. The largest sections of plate glass are
those forming the east walls of the classrooms. These have not
yet been delivered. Painting, wiring, and plumbing are still in
But when music and art instruction began for the present
college year they began in the new building. Some twenty-five
or thirty pianos were moved in, and the art students set up
their equipment in the art wing. For more than a month pianos,
hammers and saws, soprano and tenor voices, water color sketches
and ceiling paints have made the building a place of great ac-
tivity and many sounds.
The first plan was to dedicate the Center on Founders Day,
October 21. But delivery of Music Hall seats, classroom chairs,
and other equipment is still uncertain because of strikes. There-
fore, the dedication has been set, provisionally, for Saturday,
November 18. The principal ceremony will be at 9:45 a.m. There
will be other features in the afternoon and evening.
The building is already attracting wide attention. The pro-
fessional magazine, Architectural Record, for June published four
pages of pictures and description. The magazine Time made ref-
erence to it. There have been many visitors. The Tennessee
Chapter of the American Institute of Architects used part of its
annual meeting, held in Knoxville October 7, for a group visi-
tation to the building as the "most outstanding and interesting"
in the area.
It will be recalled that the donors of the building are Mr.
and Mrs. Glen A. Lloyd, of Chicago; that the architects are Sch-
weikher and Elting, of Chicago; and that the contractors are
Johnson and Willard of Knoxville.
FINE ARTS FESTIVAL ANNOUNCED
It has been announced by President Lloyd that there will
be inaugurated next spring a Fine Arts Festival at Maryville Col-
lege which is expected to become one of the most notable events
in the Southeast.
This is made possible and is inspired by the new Fine Arts
Center. The details of the Festival have not been fully developed,
but the general plan calls for invitations to be sent to interested
teachers and students throughout the area. There will be sub-
stantial awards offered for successful competition in music, prob-
ably in art also, and perhaps in drama in a later year.
The dates set tentatively for the first Festival are May 4
and 5, 1951.
THE NEW CHAPEL
The total amount of money and pledges in the Chapel Fund
was about $275,000, President Lloyd announced near the end
of September. Five sixths of this is cash in the bank. It had
been hoped that when construction of the New Fine Arts Cen-
ter was completed, construction of the new Chapel might begin.
However, the sharp effects of the present, national rearma-
ment policy on building materials and costs make such procedure
impracticable just now. Also there is urgent need for more money
for the Chapel. The total cost is estimated at $400,000. Alumni
who have not subscribed or who feel they can increase their
subscriptions are urged to send pledges and subscriptions to the
Treasurer's Office, Maryville College.
FEBRUARY MEETINGS— 1951
The preacher at the 1951 February Meetings will be the
Rev. Luther E. Stein, D.D., Pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church, Oak Park (Chicago), Illinois. The song leader for the
twenty-ninth time will be the Rev. Sidney E. Stringham, D.D.,
Pastor of the Cabanne Methodist Church, St. Louis, Missouri.
Dr. Stein was leader of the Meetings once before, in 1946.
At that time he was a Secretary of the Presbyterian Board of
Christian Education, to which position he had gone from the
pastorate of a large church in California. He is a graduate of
Hastings College, Nebraska, and of the San Francisco Theological
I ? m
1 1 Ji fl.fi l
Seminary, San Anselmo, California.
The dates of the 1951 February Meetings will be January 31
to February 8, which is a week earlier than the dates announced
in the 1950 Catalog.
Joseph G. Brown, ex '31, to Jewelle Rhea, March, 1950.
Annie Mary Donnell, '35, to Lt. Cecil R. Tipton, June 18, 1950,
Edwina Lowe, ex '37, to Frederick J. Murphy, June. 1950.
Dorothea Rosalie Stadelmann, '37, to William Henry Trump,
July 21, 1950, in Auruba, Netherlands West Indies.
Alary Elizabeth Haines, '38, to Harry G. Priggemeier.
Kathleen Louise Cissna, '39, to James Earl Settle, June 10, 1950,
in Washington, D.C.
Jacob Thompson Bradsher, Jr., '41, to Shirley Viola Nunes, May
13, 1950, in. New Bedford, Massachusetts.
George Edward Haynes, '41, to Elizabeth Gillespie, May 30,
Rollo Wells King, '41, to Edith Rowland, July 28, 1950.
Elizabeth Francis, ex '42, to Rev. Robert Speight, September 1,
Hal Baldwin Lloyd, '43, to Mary Ellen Frazier, August 10, in
Jane Elizabeth Metcalf, '43, to John H. Sinclair, September,
Joanne Humann Morey, ex '44, to Kenneth Blanchard. January,
Rose Eva Wells, '45, to W. H. Bales, Jr.
Rebecca Ann Davis, '46, to George F. Clegg, July 23, 1950, in
Betty Mae Dunk, '46. to Robert F. Beverly, in California.
Williamina Ruth Broadhead, '47, to Lt. Walter J. Zamowski,
March 25, 1950, in Japan.
Mary Elizabeth Hunt, '47, to Ralph Perry, Jr., June 28, 1950,
in Elizabethton, Tennessee.
Elise Pauline Lickteig, '47, to Paul Landon Rawson, September
15, 1950, in Floydsburg, Kentucky.
James Payson Martin, '47, to Dorothy Rowland, May 26, 1950,
in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania.
Mary Jane Tedford, '47, to Edgar Fred Miller, June 17, 1950.
Elsie Jean Cotton, '48, to Rev. William Pierson Barker, June 28,
George Frederick Gillette, '48, to Jeannette Lagerfeldt, September
9, 1950, in Iron Mountain, Michigan.
Betty Ann Hall, '48, to Wilfred C. Taylor, September 15, 1950.
Marion Henderson, '48, to Paul Edward Miller, May 20, 1950,
Barbara Jean Bertholf, '49, to William Harold Hunter, '49, June
3, 1950, in Morris Plains. New Jersey.
Raymond Irving Brahams, Jr., '49, to Ellen Elizabeth Collins,
'50, May 17, 1950, in Maryville.
George David Campbell, '49, to Margaret Anne Cummings, '50,
June 2, 1950, in Maryville.
Juanita Anne Childress, '49, to Daniel James Ruggiero, ex '50,
September 30, 1950.
Grace Ellen Cross, '49, to Walter Bruce Pentz, '50, August 11,
1950, in Birmingham, Alabama.
Barbara Leigh Eggleston, '49, to Robert Franklin Smith, '48,
May 27, 1950, in Maryville.
Arthur Rudolph Haaf, '49, to Esther MacDonald, September 9,
Naomi Elizabeth Hoffman, '49, to Eric DeWitt Meadows, Jr.,
'50, May 17, 1950, in Maryville.
Carl Minnis Lazenby, '49, to Mildred Linnea Johnson, '50, June
Lois Jane Lehr, '49, to William Pfeffer, August 26. 1950, at
Vera Elizabeth Lusk, '49, to William Frederick Proffitt, '49,
May 5, 1950, in Scotch Plain, New Jersey,
llda Mosby, '49, to Duncan Campbell Bennett, '50, August 16,
Jeanette Wemmer, ex '49, to Leon Cecil Allen, August 5, 1950.
Ruth Helen Bird, '50, to Earl Stanley Smathers, ex '51, July 19,
Clare May Bolton, '50, to Thomas Edwin Lacy, '50, May 17,
Edna Mae Burkins, '50, to William J. Carroll, July 10, 1950.
Alice Davenport, '50, to Robert Donald Boring, '50, May 17,
Wilma Lucille Davis, '50, to Howard Duncan Cameron, '50,
July 1, 1950, in Eastman, Georgia.
Lois Jeanne Deobler, '50, to Charles Parvin, '51, June 17, 1950.
Anne Catherine Gates, '50, to George Benjamin Paxton, '50,
May 30, 1950.
Ruth Aileen Heaps, '50, to Charles Burkins, June 9, 1950.
Dorothy Louise Holverson, '50, to Roger Alan Cowan, '50, Sep-
tember 1, 1950.
Ruth Vendeda Huskey, '50, to Robert Lee Tullock, May 19,
Robert Lee Kay, '50, to Janice Landstrom, ex '51, September 8,
John B. Spratt, '50, to Louise Storey, '44, September 11, 1950.
Dorothy Lucy Stater, '50, to Arthur Dixon, ex '53, June 3, 1950.
Jo Ann Stroud, '50, to Donald Ray McCammon, '50.
Virginia Helen Wood, '50, to Robert Lee Frost, '50, July 29,
Mary Mitchell Wooldridge, '50, to William Woolfolk Gravely.
June 5, 1950.
Martha Alberta Ahler, '51, to William Davidson Ross, August
David H. Reeve, '51, to Charlotte Randall, July 1, 1950.
Peggy Jane Wakefield, ex '51, to Samuel Keener Shanton, June
9, 1950, in Knoxville, Tennessee.
William Marion Tarter, ex '53, to Bobbie Jean Raulston Septem-
ber 8, 1950.
Betty Jo Clemens, Instructor in Physical Education. Miss
Clemens, a member of last May's graduating class, has been ap-
pointed to serve during the absence of Edith Merle Largen, who
is on leave this year to do graduate study at the University of
Grace Collins, Assistant to the Head of Pearsons Hall. Miss
Collins' home is in Knoxville, Tennessee, although for the past
five years she has been employed in California.
Kathleen Craven, Instructor in Drama and Speech. Miss
Craven received her bachelor's degree at Greensboro College,
North Carolina, and her master's degree at Columbia University.
She has had business and teaching experience, and for two years
was a Red Cross Club Director in Europe.
Katherine Crews, Instructor in Music. Miss Crews gradu-
ated at Maryville College in 1943 and received her M.A. de-
gree from the Eastman School of Music, Rochester, New York.
She taught music in the public schools in Morristown. Tennessee.
At Maryville College she will teach School Music.
Anna O. Currie, Assistant to the Head of Baldwin Hall.
Mrs. Currie's home is in Newark, Ohio, where for several years
she has been a Home Service Director of the Red Cross.
Malcolm J. Dashiell. Instructor in Art. Mr. Dashiell holds
a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from John Herron Art Institute,
Indianapolis, and studied for a year at Academy Julian, Paris.
He was in military service for four years, serving in the Aleutian
Islands and in Italy. For the past year he has been working as
a commercial artist.
William Halcot Ford, Associate Professor of Economics. Mr.
Ford received both his bachelor's and master's degree from the
University of South Carolina. He comes to Maryville from the
faculty of Wofford College, South Carolina.
Anne S. Fordham, Head of McLain Memorial Hall. Mrs.
LeMaster, who has been Head of Memorial for the past two
years, is now Head of Pearsons Hall.
Evelyn G. Guss, Instructor in Greek and Latin. Miss Guss
did her bachelor's degree work at Gettysburg College and her
master's degree work at the University of Pittsburgh.
Paul C. Kolter, Instructor in Biology. Mr. Kolter graduated
at Maryville College in 1948 and received his master's degree at
the University of Tennessee.
Kathryn W. Martin, Assistant Professor of Spanish and
French. Miss Martin holds a bachelor's and a master's degree
from Vanderbilt University and has done additional graduate
study there toward her doctorate. She has traveled extensively in
Mexico and Guatemala. For three years she was on the faculty of
the College of Wooster.
Anne Gates Paxton, Assistant in the Library. Mrs. Paxton
graduated last May and is working while her husband (Ben
Paxton, '50) is studying for his master's degree at the University
Ella Mae Thompson, Assistant in the Library. Miss Thomp-
son, since her graduation from Maryville College in 1948, has
worked in a book shop and for the past year and a half in Law-
son McGhee Library, Knoxville. She is the daughter of Lcla
Beeler Thompson, '21, and Walter S. Thompson, ex '25.
FACULTY NEWS AND SUMMER ACTIVITIES
Miss Jackson, Assistant Professor of English, is on Sabbatical
Leave of Absence for graduate study. She spent the summer at
Leland Stanford University and is now at the University of Col-
orado. Etta Culbertson Kennedy, '39, is teaching in her place this
Mr. Phillips, Assistant Professor of Economics, is on leave
to do graduate study at Columbia University. In addition to
his study he is serving as Lecturer in Marketing in the School
of General Studies of Columbia.
Mr. Pieper, Associate Professor of Political Science, is back
this year after two years on leave, the first studying at the
University of Tennessee and the second at the University of
Mrs. Disbrow, formerly on the Personnel Office staff, is now
Editorial Supervisor of Special Studies and Assistant in the
Library, succeeding Esther Cornelius Swenson, who resigned to
go with her husband to McCormick Theological Seminary.
Many of the faculty attended summer schools. Among
them were Mr. Ainsworth (Political Science) at the Univer-
sity of Chicago; Mrs. Brown (Biology), Mr. Bushing (English),
Mr. Minear (Economics), Mr. Paxton (Physics), Mrs. Pieper
(Sociology), Miss Robertson (Home Economics), and Mrs.
Stepp (Home Economics), at the University of Tennessee; Mr.
Engelhardt ( Bible) at the University of Pittsburgh; Mr. Harter
(Music), Mr. Johnson (Physical Education), and Mr. Reber
(German) at Indiana University; Miss Home (Music) and Miss
Vawter (Music) at Eastman School of Music; Mr. Hughes
(Music) at Northwestern University; and Mr. Schwam (Span-
ish) at Columbia University. Mr. Davis (Physical Education)
attended coaching schools at the Universities of Alabama and
Other faculty members taught at various summer schools:
Miss Blair at Alabama College: Dr. Briggs and Dr. Williams at
Appalachian State Teachers College; Mrs. Cummings at Biblical
Seminary in New York; Dr. Queener at New Mexico Highlands
University. The Teachers' Workshops, for public school teach-
ers of the Marvville and Blount County area, were continued on
the campus during part of the summer; Dr. Barker, Mr. Davis,
Miss Heron, Dr. Hunter, Miss Jessie Johnson, and Mr. Kiger
taught classes in these Workshops. Mrs. Kramer taught at Meth-
odist conferences for children's workers in Georgia. Florida, Mis-
sissippi, and Alabama. Dr. Buchanan for the second summer
served as business manager of Camp Sequoyah in North Caro-
Miss Charlotte Johnson and Miss Arda Walker had an ex-
tensive trip in Europe, visiting France. Switzerland, Italy, Spain,
and England. Others traveled in this country: the Orrs going to
Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico; the Sisks to Canada and New-
England; the Lloyds to Kansas City and Colorado; the Cases to
their cottage in Minnesota; Miss Lightfoot and Miss Hunter to
Nova Scotia; Miss Grierson to a meeting of the American Li-
brary Association in Cleveland and then to the Adirondacks; Miss
Davies to Boston: Miss Goss and Miss Davies of the Treasurer's
Office to Florida; Miss Rodemann to Iowa.
Dr. and Mrs. Leland Shanor, '35, their second child, a son, Paul
Leland. August 2, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward V. Lodwick, '35, their second child, a
daughter. Ledell, in 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. John Carr, Jr., 'Lois Black. '38) their 'hird child.
a son, David Alexander, September 24, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy M. Rankin (Marguerite Justus, '39), their
third child, a daughter, Nancy Leone, March 27, 1950.
Dr. and Mrs. James N. Proffitt. '38. their third child, a daugh-
ter, Ann Katherine, August 28, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Alfred B. Chandler, ex '39, (Katherine Dorothy
Bennett. '41 . a son Alan Bennett. March 27, 1950.
Mrs. Henry I. Baker Ruth Abercrombie. '40) and the late Mr.
Baker, their second child, a daughter, Judith. May 10, 1950.
Chaplain and Mrs. E. Yaughan Lyons, Jr., '40, a son, William
Morris. July 13, 1950.
Mr. and Mr-. L. S. Honaker Jr.. '41. Martha W.lker. '45)
their first child, a daughter. Julia Ann. July 7. 1950.
Li-.ut. G.mmander and Mrs. J. D. Flushes. '41. 'Winnie Jean
Campbell, ex '43). their second child, a son, John David, Jr.,
May 22, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert S. Olsen. (Margaret Ruth Whaley, '42),
their second child, a daughter. April S, 1950.
Dr. and Mrs. David Mitchell Flail, '42, a daughter, Susan Allen,
August 9. 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Roy Duncan Crawford, '43, 'Dorothy Fleming
Jobes, ex '43), a son, Roy Duncan, Jr., June 13, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. W. T. Furgerson, (Helen Parker George, '43)
their third child, a son, William George, May 12, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Y. Landis, (Edith Erelin Monroe, '43) a
daughter, Kathy Revelle, June 27, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Theodore B. Pratt, '43, their first child, a daugh-
ter, Jennifer Sandra, August 21, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Edward R. Rowley, Jr., 43, (Esther Winn, '43)
their third child, a son, Edward III (Ned), February 28, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Douglas Smith (Winifred Hope, '43), their first
child, a son, Steven Palmer, September 7, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. William Alton Buford, '44, (Sara Elizabeth Cope-
land, ex '46), their second child, a daughter, Bonnie Margaret,
March 30, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. William C. Kelley, ex "50, (Lelia Ruth Case, '44)
their first child, a son, Richard Case, June 13, 1950.
Rev. and Mrs. John Cameron Taylor, '44, (Aldyn Graham, ex
'47) a son, John Graham, June 22. 1950.
Rev. and Mrs. Robert E. Seel, '45. (Jean Almy, '48), a daughter,
Barbara Jean, September 28, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Rosenfeld (Ethel Hanners Beall, '45),
their second child, a daughter, Deborah Lynn, July 17, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Ray Barnard (Coleen Baugh, '45), their second
child, a daughter, Ramona Ellen, July 17, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. William Hamilton Owen (Louise Corbett, '46),
their first child, a son, William Hamilton, Jr., August 10,
Mr. and Mrs. Charles H. Hildreth, '47, (Carol June Hall, ex
'49), a daughter, Elizabeth Mae, September 25, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Albert W. Dockter, '47, (Dorothy G'edig, '44),
their second child, a daughter, Kathryn Diane, September 26,
Mr. and Mrs. Floyd A. Hightower (Edith Earle, '47). a daugh-
ter. May 5, 1950.
Rev. and Mrs. Irvin K. McArthur, '47, their first child, a son,
Kenneth Andrew, July 17, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. A. R. Munn (Sarah Enloe, '47), their first child,
a daughter, Caroline, June 2, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Clark Eckert, ex '50, (Virginia Alice Cla-
bough, '47), their first child, a daughter, Crystal Ellyn, May
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Best, ex '47, their first child, a son, John Carl,
August 1, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert E. Carp, (Rella Anderson, '48), their first
child, a son, David Anderson, July 16. 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Francis Scruggs, '48, (Margaret Cross,
'46). a daughter. Ethel Ann, September 3, 1949.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dickson Thompson, ex '48, (Janet L. Nes-
bit, ex '49; . a son, Chris, August 20, 1949.
Mr. and Mr... Carl Murray. '48, 'Ernestine Harrison, ex '47),
their first child, a daughter. Susan Melissa, March 31. 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Bagnell Hoglan, Jr., '48, (Ruth Duggan,
'42), their first child, a daughter, Frances Lorraine, July 30,
Mr. and Mrs. Harold Wilkinson Henrv, '49, their first child, a
daughter. Patricia Ruth, June 30, 1950.
Mr. and Mr>. James A. Newman, '49, their second child, a
daughter, Teresa Corywin, September 16, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles P. Barnes, (Sarah Vawter, ex '50), their
second child, a boy, John Alexander, July 26, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Howard Hugh Davis, '50, a son, Howard Hugh,
Jr., July 21, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ladner. '50, (Una Jordan, '48), a son,
Frank Allen, August 10, 1950.
Rev. and Mrs. D. L. Engelhardt, their third child, a daughter,
Karen Elise. July 2, 1950. Mr. Engelhardt is Assistant Pro-
fessor of Bible and Religious Education at Maryville College.
The new field with the bleachers next to the Woods incomplete.
The houses seen in the background are on Court Street.
NEW FOOTBALL FIELD
A new Maryville College Football Field was initiated by
the Highlander-Hiwassee game on the night of September 23.
It is located in the area just bevond the left-field side of the base-
About three years ago the College cleared that area of
trees and undergrowth and graded it with bulldozers. Grass has
been planted and "nursed" since that time. Funds for this work
were allocated from the undesignated balance in the New Forward
Finally, in the spring of 1950, the Directors' Committee on
Finance and the President of the College authorized the erec-
tion of fence and bleachers with a view to putting the new field
into service this fall. This is even more expensive than clearing
and grading the ground and there are no special funds at hand
for this project. The plan is for the College to finance it over a
period of several years. The cost of clearing, grading, sowing,
and drainage for the field was about 53,500. The net cost of
erecting fence, bleachers, new lights, and other developments
this ypar will be approximately 515,500, making a total of
about $19,000. This is a large amount but it is hardly to be
compared to the usual cost of a modern stadium. The steel
bleachers on the west side of the old field were moved to the
west side of the new field. New and larger steel bleachers have
been erected on the east side; the east side bleachers at the old
field were traded in on these. The seating capacity of the west
steel bleachers is 1,100 and of the east steel bleachers is 1,500.
In addition there are knockdown wooden bleachers fused also
for baseball and basketball) on the west side, with a seating ca-
pacity of 700, and a band section seating 100. At the north end
are small movable wooden bleachers seating 100. Thus there are
seats for approximately 3,500 people and extensive space for
more seats when needed and available. The new steel bleachers
on the east side were still uncompleted, although they had been
promised, at the time of the first game. Therefore, the perma-
nent bleachers seating 900 were moved temporarily from the
Alumni Gym to the south end of the field.
There is a high woven fence around the field and bleachers
and a smaller inner fence around the playing field itself. There
is a new cinder block ticket "house" (painted gray to match the
bleachers) by the main entrance, which is at the corner toward
the old football field.
The new lights are higher and more modern and powerful
than the old ones, although the latter have given good service
for many years.
The old football field has been in use ever since football was
inaugurated at Maryville College under Kin Takahashi in the
1890s. The reasons for building a new one were mainly four:
(a) the old field was not as well graded as are modern fields,
one evidence being the considerable slope toward the south end;
(b) more space than was available was needed around the field;
(c) it seemed desirable to be less at the center of the campus
since people and automobiles have increased in numbers; (d)
since new lights, new grading, and more seating would soon be
necessary in any case, it seemed best to move as has been done.
The old field will still be an athletic field, used chiefly for the
The new field promises to be an excellent one although a
year or two or three will be required to produce the kind and
amount of grass desired. It is only because of the unusual amount
of rain during the past summer that there is enough grass now
to make the field usable.
November 1 1
November 1 8
1950 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
— Hiwassee College At Maryville
— J'sonville, Ala., State T'ers Col. At Maryville
— Centre College
— East Tenn. State College
— Emory and Henry College
— Austin-Peay State College
— Carson-Newman College
— Tusculum College
— Georgetown College
At Johnson City
At Jefferson City
At Middlesboro, Ky.
The band sponsor, Patricia Love, senior from Oak Ridge,
FACULTY AND STAFF
SUSAN GREEN BLACK, Professor of
Biology and Chairman of the Division of
Science. Mrs. Black's retirement was an-
nounced at Commencement. Her service of
forty-four years at Maryville College is an
historic one. No one in the College's history,
except Dr. Wilson with forty-six years' ser-
vice, has served so long as has Mrs. Black.
Maryville College conferred upon her in 1930
the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane
Letters. She and Mr. Black will continue to
reside on Hillside Avenue just off the cam-
EDMUND WAYNE DAVIS, Professor of
Greek and Secretary of the Faculty. Dr.
Davis' retirement also was announced at Com-
mencement. His service at the College has
extended over thirty-four years. In 1937
Maryville conferred upon him the honorary
degree of Doctor of Letters. He and Mrs.
Davis, who is now recovering from an illness,
live in their home on Miller Avenue.
CLEMMIE J. HENRY, Director of Stu-
dent-Help. As was stated publicly at Com-
mencement, Miss Henry has found it neces-
sary because of health to relinquish her full-
time program. She spent the summer at Palo
Alto, California, and is now at Boulder, Col-
orado. The high regard in which she and
her service of thirty-two years are held may
be seen in the fact that upon recommenda-
tion of the President and Faculty the Di-
rectors conferred upon her at Commencement
the honorary degTee of Doctor of Laws.
EMMA LEE WORLEY, Head of Pearsons
Hall, retired this past summer after twenty-
two years of service. In those years she has
served as Head of Memorial, Baldwin, and
Pearsons, and of Carnegie during the War
when girls roomed there and the boys were
moved to Memorial. Mrs. Worley is living in
the suburbs of Knoxville.
PEARL WELLS BUTCHER, Assistant to
the Head of Pearsons Hall, also retired this
summer after twenty-four years of service in
this position. In recent years she has served
also as Assistant in the Maintenance De-
partment with special responsibility for care
of buildings. Mrs. Butcher is living in her
home which she has had for a number of
years in Knoxville.
MISS HENRY'S NEW RELATIONSHIP
Miss Clemmie J. Henry, who at her own
urgent request retired last May as Director of
Student-Help, has found it possible to con-
tinue a part-time service for the College.
President Lloyd has announced her ap-
pointment as "Special Assistant to the Pres-
ident." She will give time especially to the
College's contacts with friends throughout
the country. She is carrying forward the
building of a fund for a new women's dormi-
tory, toward which over $77,000 has been
subscribed to date.
Miss Henry Cor Dr. Henry, as she now is)
will make her home during the coming
months in Boulder, Colorado, carrying on
correspondence through the Maryville Col-
lege offices and also direct from Boulder. Her
address is 749 Sixteenth Street, Boulder,
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
New Directors. In June the Synod of Mid-
South of the Presbyterian Church in the
U.S.A. elected two new Directors of the Col-
lege, Rev. J. Hayden Laster (Maryville Col-
lege 1930), Pastor of the Presbyterian Church
at Milan, Tennessee; and Rev. W. Wood
Duff, D.D, Pastor of the Hillsboro Presby-
terian Church, Nashville, Tennessee. These
men are active church leaders in the Synod
of Mid-South. Dr. Duff is Chairman of Syn-
od's Committee on Christian Education. Both
Mr. and Mrs. Laster are graduates of Mary-
Appreciation to Retiring Directors. The
Synod and the College have expressed ap-
preciation for the services of Air. WiUiam E.
Minnis, of New Market, Tennessee, and Pres-
ident E. E. Gabbard of Witherspoon College,
Buckhorn, Kentucky, whose places on the
Board are now taken by Mr. Laster and Dr.
Duff. The failing health of Mr. Minnis, who
has been a Director for thirty-seven years,
makes it impossible for him to give service
now. Dr. Gabbard was elected to the Board
eighteen years ago when he was Pastor of
Northside Presbyterian Church, Chattanooga,
and has consented for a number of years to
continue although now head of another insti-
Death ol Dr. Puqh. The College has recently
lost by death one of its distinguished Direct-
ors. On September 14, Dr. William Barrow
Pugh, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, was
killed in an automobile accident in Wyoming
where he was filling some speaking engage-
ments. President Lloyd was present at the
funeral service in First Presbyterian Church,
Philadelphia, and at the interment in Arling-
ton National Cemetery where Dr. Pugh was
buried because of his long service is an Army
Chaplain. Dr. John H. Gardner, Jr. of Balti-
more, a member of the Maryville Board of
Directors, was likewise at both services; also
Dr. Charles R. Erdman, of Princeton, and
possibly others of our Directors were at the
Philadelphia service. Dr. Pugh has been
Stated Clerk of the General Assembly of the
Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A. since 1939
and on the Board of Directors of Maryville
College since 1942.
Officers and Committees. In accordance with
their By-Laws, the Directors each year at their
Fall Meeting elect three officers and two per-
manent working committees. Those elected in
1949 are as follows: Chairman— Judge Samuel
O. Houston, Knoxville, who has been chair-
man since 1932; Vice-Chairman— Rev. Dr.
Frank M. Cross, Birmingham; Recorder— Joe
C. Gamble, Maryville. Committee on Admin-
istration— three ex-officio: President Ralph W.
Lloyd (Chairman), Chairman Samuel O.
Houston, Chairman of Finance Committee
Joe C. Gamble; four elected: Rev. Dr. Clif-
ford E. Barbour. Miss Clemmie J. Henry
(Secretary), Albert D. Huddleston, and
Thomas McCroskey (deceased). Committee
on Finance— Joe C. Gamble (Chairman),
Hugh R. Crawford (Secretary), F. Edward
Barkley, Albert M. Brinkley, Robert J. Mac-
lellan, Clyde T. Murray, and President Ralph
W. Lloyd (ex-officio).
Meetings. The Board has two stated meet-
ings a year— on the third Tuesday of Novem-
ber and on Commencement Day. The Com-
mittee on Finance meets monthly and the
Committee on Administration bi-monthly.
A % ••
COMMENCEMENT - 1950
The Class of 1950 was the largest in the College's history.
On Commencement Day 149 seniors received their diplomas; 14
had finished at the end of the first semester, and 12 completed
their work in the summer, making a total of 175 in the Class of
1950. Of the 111 men in the class, 62 were veterans. The largest
previous class was that of 1936, which had a total of 144 grad-
The Commencement Address was given by Rev. Dr. H.
Ray Anderson, Pastor of the Fourth Presbyterian Church, Chi-
cago, and a Director of the College. He spoke on "State Worship
—The New Idolatry." Honorary degrees were granted to four
persons. The degree of Doctor of Letters was awarded, in absen-
tia, to the Rev. Dunbar Hunt Ogden, D.D..LL.D.. Pastor of
the Napoleon Avenue Presbyterian Church, New Orleans, and
Chairman of the Permanent Committee on Church Cooperation
and Union of the Presbyterian Church in the U.S. Dr. Ogden
was to have been the Commencement speaker but was prevented
from coming by illness. Dr. Anderson graciously consented to
take his place.
The degree of Doctor of Laws was conferred upon Miss
Clemmie J. Henry, for thirty-two years Director of Student-
Help at Maryville College, "in recognition of her long and con-
secrated service to Maryville College and to the youth who have
been its students for the past third of a century, and her contri-
bution to the whole cause of Christian higher education."
Dorothy Lee Ferris, who graduated at Maryville in 1928 and
is now physician in charge of the Frances Newton Hospital.
Ferozepur, India, was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor
of Humane Letters in recognition of her "consecrated, skillful,
and notable service as a physician and a medical missionary."
In 1947 Dr. Ferris received the Kaisar-i-Hind Medal, the highest
award of the Government of India for public service.
The Doctor of Divinity degree was awarded to the Rev.
William Wood Duff, Pastor of the Hillsboro Presbyterian
Alumni Day was on Saturday, May 13, a change from the
custom of having it on the day preceding Commencement. The
reunion classes held luncheons at restaurants in and r.ear Mary-
ville and most of them met at some Maryville member's home for
The Class of '25 Luncheon
Dr. Henry and Dr. Ferris
fellowship and reminiscence. The Annual Alumni Dinner that
night was attended by about 300 people. Mrs. John R. Stoffell
^Edith Newman) was the only memba of the Class of 1900
(Fifty- Year) who could be present then or at the Commencement
The Twenty-Five Year Class, 1925, had a large representa-
tion and from all appearances and reports an excellent time.
A brief report of the work of the Alumni Association was
given, and the following officers were elected for the current
year: President, Dr. .William C. Crowder, '28; Vice-President,
Dr. Wilbur S. Johnson, '34; Recording Secretary, Miss Winifred
L. Painter, '15; Class of 1953 of the Executive Committee, Mr.
Guv W. Sneed, '24, Mrs. John Kenst, '31, Mrs. Hugh Crawford,
The classes scheduled for reunion at the 1951 Commence-
ment are those of 1901 (Fifty Year), 1911, 1921, 1926 (Twenty-
Five Year). 1931. 1936, 1941, 1946. As will be noted, this plan,
adopted by the Alumni Association in 1948, calls for reunion of
the classes which have been out fifty, forty, thirty, twenty-five,
twenty, fifteen, ten, and five years. Alumni Day will be Satur-
day, May 12, and Commencement Day Wednesday, May 16. If
you belong to one of these classes, begin to make your plans now.
Below is a list of persons who will act as the "local contacts"
for the reunion classes. W rlte t0 y° ur own c l ass representative in
the list or to the Alumni Office for information. All addresses
are in Maryville.
1911-Mrs. A. B. Waggoner (Blanche Proffitt), 406 Willard
1921-Mrs. Leslie G. Walker (Marguerite Sullinger), 510 West
1926-Mr. Joe C. Gamble, Goddard & Gamble.
1931-Mrs. Earl Blazer (Conchita Bertran), P. O. Box 105
1936-Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Pieper (Mary Gladys Brown), 103
1941 -Mr. Rollo King, Stanley and Clark Streets.
1946— Mrs. A. B. Waggoner, Jr. (Marinell Ross), Bus Terminal
CLASS OF 1950 REPORTS
(See also Marriages)
Sue S. Althouse— Pastor's Assistant, West Presbyterian
Church, Wilmington, Delaware.
Kenneth Andes— Lieutenant attached with 87th Infantry
Kenneth V. Anderson— Student at McCormick Theological
Seminary, Chicago, Illinois.
Harold E. Ammons— Employed by Aluminum Company of
Robert D. Argie— Student at Princeton Theological Semi-
nary, Princeton, New Jersey.
Charles E. Bacon— Teaching in Hazen High School, Hazen,
James M. Baird— Employed by Kraft Paper Company, St.
Robert B. Baldwin— Salesman for Western Electric in New
Curtis W. Barnett— Employed in Revenue Accounting Dept.
of United Air Lines, Chicago, Illinois.
John A. Baxter— Student at Princeton Theological Semi-
nary. Spent summer supplying a church at Lancing, Tennessee.
John A. Bender— Student at Johnson Bible College. Kimber-
lin Heights, Tennessee.
Duncan C. Bennett— Graduate Assistant at University of
Tennessee. Working on M.S. degree.
Leon Berrong— Coaching at Everett High, Maryville, Ten-
Ruth Helen Bird— Building home in Terry, Mississippi.
Husband is farmer.
Robert Boring— At University of North Carolina, Chapel
Hill. Working on Master's Degree in Education.
Laurel D. Bowman— Student at North Central Bible Insti-
Harry G. Brahams— Student at Princeton Theological Sem-
Glenn E. Brown— U. S. Army.
Edna Mae Burkins— Teaching in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Pub-
Henry A. Callaway, Jr.— Student at Vanderbilt University
Medical School, Nashville, Tennessee.
Howard D. Cameron— Student at Columbia Theological
Seminary, Decatur, Georgia.
Alvin E. Carden— Representative of Metropolitan Life In-
surance Company, Kno.xville, Tennessee.
Grady Lee Carroll— Indefinite Plans.
\\ illiam H. Chalker— Student at McCormick Theological
Ivan V. Chambers— U. S. Army.
Walter Chambers, Jr.— Taking special courses at Maryville
Joseph G. Claud— At University of North Carolina, Chapel
Hill. Doing graduate work in history.
Betty Jo Clemens— See New Faculty.
Ellen E. Collins— Teaching second grade in Boulder, Colo-
Anne T. Cress— Employed in chemistry laboratory at Amer-
ican Enka Corporation. Lowland, Tenn.
Margaret Anne Cummings— Staff Secretary in Dept. of
Audio Visual Education. U. P. Church, Pittsburgh. Pennsylvania.
Alice Davenport— Living in Carrboro, North Carolina, while
husband attends University of North Carolina.
Ei.rtie R. Davis— Employed by Southern Dairies, Knoxville,
Howard H. Davis— Coaching at Porter High School, Marv-
Wilma L. Davis— Will work while husband attends Colum-
bia Theological Seminary, Decatur. Georgia.
Walter L. Dean— Graduate Assistant in Chemistry at Uni-
versity of Tennessee, Kno.xville.
Lois J. Deobler— Employed as secretary at Aluminum Com-
pany of America, Alcoa.
Helen A. Disbrow— See Faculty News.
Leon E. Dunsmore— Employed by First Federal Savings and
Loan Association of Maryville.
Sarah Jean Durant— Teaching second grade, Birmingham,
Robert C. Eastman— Student of Dallas Theological Seminary,
Zan Emery— Taking nurses training at St. Mary's School of
Nursing, Kno.xville. (Commissioned Officer in Navy)
Jean C. Enfield— Teaching in Ridgely High School, Ridgley,
Katharyn O. Ernest— Clerk in the Oliver Springs Post Of-
fice, Oliver Springs, Tennessee
Harold R. Everett-U. S. Army.
John P. Ferris-U. S. Navy.
Doris Florence— Duke University Hospital, Durham, North
Craig Fisher— Student at Emory School of Medicine, Emory
Robert Lee Frost— Doing graduate work at Louisiana State
University, Baton -Rouge.
Daniel W. Fue— Manager of a farmer's supply store with the
Southern States Cooperative, Upper Marlboro, Maryland.
Aubrey E. Galyon, Jr.— Student at McCormick Theological
Anne Gates— See New Faculty.
Edward Benson Gearhart— Teaching in Jr. High School, Ft.
Jane Louise Jessup— Plans to work in New York City this
Dolores L. Green— Will teach 3B grade at Thomas Jefferson
School, Binghamton, New York. Did graduate work during sum-
mer at Cortland State Teachers' College, N. Y.
Helen T. Hair— Dietetic Interne at Harper Hospital, De-
George E. Handley— Salesman for East Tennessee Packing
Ruth A. Heaps— Teaching Jr. High School, Pylesville, Mary-
Edward Heerschap— Student at Vanderbilt University, Nash-
Earl W. Henry— Entering aviation cadet training at Ran-
dolph Field, San Antonio, Texas.
Jack B. Henry— Employed by Mt. View Hotel, Gatlinburg,
J. Raymond Holsey— Student at Princeton Theological Sem-
Dorothy Holverson— Employed as copy editor for New Cur-
riculum in Editorial Department, Presbyterian Board of Chris-
tian Education, Philadelphia, Pa.
Ruth Vendeda Huskey— Teaching in Townsend, Tennessee.
Don D. Hyatt— Student at Medical College of Virginia Den-
tal School, Richmond, Virginia.
Linnea Johnson— Living in Jonesville, Louisiana, where
husband is student Pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church.
Marvin L. Kay— Student at University of Minnesota, Min-
neapolis, working on M.A. degree.
Robert L. Kay— Agent for Metropolitan Life Insurance Co.,
Passaic, New Jersey.
Charles F. Keeler— Working on master's degree at Univer-
sity of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Martha Kincaid— Presbyterian Hospital, New York City.
Man- Elizabeth King— Teaching sixth grade at Valley Point
School, Dalton, Georgia.
William Ray Kirby— Plans to enlist in U. S. A. F. and
hopes to enter O. C. S. upon completion of basic training at
Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
Glen C. Knecht— Student at Fuller Theological Seminary,
Robert E. Kribbs— Student at Columbia Theological Sem-
Charles L. Krueger— Louisville Presbyterian Seminary,
Thomas E. Lacy— U. S. Army; will go to O. C. S. January
Frank G. Ladner, Jr.— Student at McCormick Theological
Allen G. Law— Employed by Nicholson Co., contractors in
James D. Lillard— Student at University of Tennessee, Knox-
ville, working on master's degree.
Carl L. Lindsay, Jr.— Working at the Camden Fire Insur-
ance Association as a trainee, Honesdale, Pennsylvania.
Marian T. McBride— Indefinite Plans.
Herbert M. McCallum— Student at Union Theological Sem-
inary, Richmond, Virginia.
Jane M. McCullough— Director of Religious Education,
Bronx Spanish Church, New York.
James W. McKee— Student at Southern Illinois University,
George T. McMahon— Graduate student at University of
Paul R. McNiel— Student at McCormick Theological Sem-
Stuart P. McNiell, Jr.— Math teacher and assistant coach at
Townsend, Tennessee, High School.
Charles C. Mabry— Student at Emory University School of
Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia.
James E. Marvin— Employed in Cost Dept., Allegheny Lud-
lum Steel Corp., Brackenridge, Pennsylvania.
Walter Menges, Jr.— Student at Princeton Theological Sem-
Hershell Merriman— Employed by Aluminum Company of
Mae E. Meriwether— Teaching Physical Education, Math,
Social Studies, at Ramer, Alabama.
Clara I. Miller— Assistant Home Demonstration Agent in
Warren County. Plans to be the agent somewhere in Virginia
in several more months.
D. M. Miller— Coaching at Rule High School, Knoxville.
Helen J. Miller— Teaching first grade in Stuart, Florida.
Mary E. Mills— Home economist with New Jersey Public
Service Electric and Gas Co., Morris Plains, N. J.
Beverly Anne Moore— Employed as copywriter by Montgom-
ery Ward, Chicago, Illinois.
Dillon Moroney— Running filling station with. father, Mary-
Preston Mulford— Student at Boston University Law School,
Beverley Musick— Teaching physical education in Spottsyl-
vania County, Virginia.
Paul T. Myers— Doing work at Franklin and Marshall Col-
lege, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, until accepted into medical school.
Ethel A. Nelson— Entering nurses training at Strong Me-
morial- Hospital, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York.
Kenneth N. Newell— Student at Western Theological Sem-
inary, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Spent summer working at the
Philadelphia State Hospital as a member of the Ergotherapy
Margaret A. Newland— Attending Miss Hickey's School for
Secretaries, St. Louis, Missouri.
William W. Nish— Doing graduate study at University of
California at Los Angeles.
William C. O'Neill— Graduate student at University of
Anna F. Parris— Secretary of lumber company at Copperhill,
P. Herbert Parsons— Student at Louisville Theological Sem-
inary, Louisville, Kentucky.
Ben Paxton— Graduate assistant at University of Tennes-
see, Knoxville. Working on M.A. in drama.
Mary Annis Pearson— Teaching English at Maryville High
Verl W. Petree-U. S. Army.
Clifford E. Porterfield— Entering D. T. Watson School of
Physiatrics, affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh School
of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Frances Postlethwaite— Student at Princeton Theological
Seminary working toward M. R. E.
John D. Reid— Starting music department in consolidated
rural school in Montgomery County, Damascus, Maryland. Also
teaching several craft classes.
Charles W. Roberts— Employed in the Personnel Division of
Safety Program at Aluminum Company of America, Alcoa.
Hilda V. Roberts— Dietetic Interne at Colorado State Hos-
pital, Pueblo, Colorado.
Faye N. Robinson— Attending Medical School at Temple
University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Ruth H. Rogers— Teaching in Delta, Pennsylvania.
Richard F. Rowley— Student at Princeton Theological Sem-
Arthur Santmier— Student at State University of Iowa, Iowa
Stuart C. Saul— Student at Princeton Theological Seminary.
Winifred E. Schaumburg— Director of Religious Education,
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Corsicana, Texas.
Ben E. Sheldon— Student at Princeton Theological Semi-
Joseph E. Shepard— Military Service.
Betty Jo Smith— Employed in the Payroll Office of Pet Milk
Co., Greeneville, Tennessee.
Glenn D. Smith— Graduate student at Virginia Polytechnic
Institute, Blacksburg, Virginia.
Muriel H. Smith— Teaching second and third grade in
Montgomery County Schools, Virginia.
John B. Spratt— Employed at Aluminum Company of Amer-
Dorothy Stater— Indefinite plans.
Lambert E. Stewart— Attending Peirce Business School,
Merion Station, Pennsylvania.
Margaret Stone— Dietetic Interne at Vanderbilt University,
Caryl Stovell— Student at University of New Mexico, Al-
buquerque, working on M.A. in history.
Jo-Ann Stroud— Teaching at Walland, Tennessee.
Edward J. Vanderslice— Student at McCormick Theological
Barbara G. Wallin— Teaching second grade at Springbrook,
Charles A. Warner— U. S. Army.
Mary Watt— Teaching at Greenback Public School, Green-
Mary Holly Webb— Danforth Fellowship at Kansas State
Teachers College, Emporia, Kansas.
Donald E. Whelan— Graduate student, Medill School of
Journalism, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
Daniel W. Winter-U. S. Army.
Orval S. Wintermute— Student at McCormick Theological
Virginia H. Wood— Living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, while
husband attends Louisiana State University.
Paul D. Woodbury, Jr.— Student at Westminster Theological
Seminary, Westminster, Maryland.
William E. Young-Student at Northwestern University
Medical School, Chicago, Illinois.
GROUP INSURANCE FOR STUDENTS
This summer the College worked out a group plan with
the Provident Life and Accident Insurance Company of Chat-
tanooga by which students may secure good hospital and surgical
insurance coverage during the college year at a low cost of $9
for nine months. The student is protected from the time he
leaves home in the fall until he arrives back home in the spring.
Treatment of injuries received in athletics is included. The plan
is open also to members of the faculty and staff although the
College has arranged other plans specifically for them.
The College believes that this will prove to be of great
benefit to its students and is glad to offer them the opportunity
PRESIDENT LLOYD'S PROGRAM
In addition to his daily responsibilities at the College, Pres-
ident Lloyd fills frequent speaking and preaching appointments
in various States and takes part in a considerable number of col-
lege, church, and general enterprises. For example, he has re-
cently attended the large meeting of college and university execu-
tives in Washington, D. C, called by the American Council on
Education to discuss the impact on colleges of the present mili-
tary preparations. He is a delegate to the constituting assembly of
the new National Council of Churches of Christ in the U. S. A.
to be held at Cleveland, Ohio, at the first of December. Also in
December, he will represent the College at the annual meeting
of the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools,
in Richmond. And he will attend other meetings, including some
on church union, as the weeks go by. Through its president,
faculty, directors, and alumni, Maryville College is represented
in a wide range of constructive programs in this country and
TWENTY-FIVE YEAR CLUB '
Twenty-five years ago this fall Professor Fred Albert Grif-
fitts became a member of
I the Maryville College Fac-
— ^|£JpaM I ulty. Recognition ol this
t 'J W ^^t^^H I gi ve n at tne meeting of the
Faculty Club on October 2
(at which incidentally he
was the speaker) and accord-
ing to the usual custom he
was presented with twenty-
Professor Griffitts gradu-
ated from Maryville College
in 1925, holds an M.S. de-
gree from Iowa State College
and a Ph.D. degree from Indiana University. He has been ac-
tive in many professional, church, and civic affairs. In 1948-1949
he was president of the East Tennessee Section of the American
Chemical Society. He is an Elder in the New Providence Pres-
byterian Church and was a Commissioner to the 1950 General
Assembly. And as all students of the past twenty-five years know,
he has always been active and interested in affairs on the cam-
pus. Since 1944, in addition to his teaching, he has been Man-
ager of the Book Store.
In 1933 he married Ruby Miller, of Knoxville, who grad-
uated from Maryville College in 1932, and is an active leader
in the women's work of the Presbyterian Synod of Mid-South
and in community, church, and educational circles.
Here And There
Recently President Lloyd received a letter from Mr. Horace
Maynard Murray, now of Stevensville, Montana. He was a stu-
dent in Maryville in 1881-1882, and recalls that Dr. Bartlett was
President then. He says he "roomed in the dormitory and
batched. My food consisted of roasting ears, apples and peaches,
cornbread, flapjacks, molasses, sweet potatoes, and buttermilk."
Mrs. John S. Eakin (Agnes Clemens) for the past several
months has been confined to her home in Knoxville by illness.
Friends of Mrs. Dora White Chumlea will be sorry to hear of
her serious illness at her home in Bellingham, Washington.
Howard M. Welsh and his daughter Mary Sloane, '34, of
Maryville, drove to Texas this summer to visit Mr. Welsh's
brother and other relatives there.
Rev. Alexander Porter Cooper writes from his home in Des
Moines, Iowa, "Please find my check for two dollars in payment
for Alumni dues. I always enjoy the Alumni Magazine." There
are only two living members of this class, Mr. Cooper and Hon.
Edwin S. Cunningham, who makes his home in Maryville.
An interesting letter was received this summer from Earl
V. White, who attended the Prep Department in 1897-1898. He
says he left Maryville to join the Army Engineers in the Spanish-
American War and ever since his discharge after that war has
been living in California. He has two daughters and one son;
his wife died a short time ago. Mr. White says, "I so often think
of the fine training I had there (at Maryville) and it gave me
a better outlook on a Christian life."
Dr. H. J. Bassett spent almost four months in Italy and Swit-
zerland in the spring and early summer. He reported it the
most leisurely and delightful of all his trips.
Homer M. Noble, pastor of the Hcltsinger Memorial Pres-
byterian Church just outside Cincinnati, was a recent visitor on
Marguerite McClenaghan retired from the emplov of the
Princeton Bank and Trust Company, Princeton, New Jersey, in
September, after thirty-five years of service. For thirty-four of
those years she has been in the Trust Department; since 1944 she
has been Tax-Accountant with full responsibility for estate,
trust and income tax accounting. She will continue in the private
practice of income tax and other accounting and is taking over
the active management of the financial affairs of Marsh & Com-
pany, a family pharmacy.
Alfred D. Biggs, in addition to his practice in Chicago, is
Associate in Pediatrics at the Northwestern Universitv Medical
School. Last November he read a paper on "The Primary Com-
plex of Pulmonary Tuberculosis" before the American Academy
of Pediatrics, in San Francisco.
Rev. Lester E. Bond and Mrs. Bond (Kate Hill. Prep. '15)
made an extended trip East this summer. Mr. Bond was a dele-
gate to the Rotary International Convention in Detroit, to the
General Council Meeting of Congregational and Christian
Churches in Cleveland, and Chaplain at the Boy Scout Jamboree
at Valley Forge. They came by the College on their way home,
and in Chattanooga visited Mrs. Bond's brother, Howard Hill, ex
Charles E. Dawson was elected Judge of the Knox County
Chancery Court and was installed by Judge A. E. Mitchell, whom
he succeeds in the office. "Coach Mitchell," as many alumni
know him, has been forced by ill health to give up his profes-
Miss Winifred Painter's mother died at their home in
Maryville, after a long illness, on August 28. The other living
children are Christine (Mrs. Miser Richmond), '24, Lois (Mrs.
Hamilton), '25, and Erskine, ex '18.
Mr. and Mrs. David W. Proffitt (Gray Webb) and Mr.
and Mrs. Earl Blazer, '30 (Conchita Bertran, '31)" had an ex-
tensive and intensive European trip this summer. They took a
station wagon with them and drove through twelve countries and
three principalities! In Paris the Proffitts' son Neil, ex '44,
joined them. Neil studied interior decoration in Paris last year and
is now opening a shop in Knoxville and one in Maryville in
connection with his father's store.
Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Driskill Apharine Striplin) revisited old
scenes on the campus this summer. Mrs. Driskill has been teach-
ing mathematics in Fort Payne.. Alabama, since graduation.
Dr. and Mrs. F. G. Cooper Ethel Burchfield. '19). of Los
Angeles, were on the campus this summer, while visiting Dr. and
Mrs. G. W. Burchfield (Martha Flenry, '27) in Maryville.
Robert Wright Adams and his wife celebrated their 27th
wedding anniversary on January 2, 1950. They have two
daughters, one married and the other in high school.
Mrs. James L. Carder (Helen Rosalie Brown) and her hus-
band ar_' a:ain scnin^ as missionaries in the Canary Islands and
report that they are very happy in their work.
Mrs. Marcus Townley (Davie Grace Bailey) is "pinch hit-
ting" as a Litin teacher in East Rainelle, W. Va.
For the past five years Ralph E. Smith, better known as
"Misti", has been connected with thj national offices of the
Fellowship of Reconciliation in New York City. His outside
interest is working in Spanish, German and Russian Churches.
Dr. George B. Callahan, of Waukcgan, Illinois, and his
wife are starting a trip around the world this fall. Dr. Callahan
is to give lectures on medical subjects in several countries.
Annie Irrovia Corry is a Laboratory and X-Ray technician
at Boswell Hospital in Greensboro, Georgia.
Mrs. Ed Downey (Licia Johnson) has been Hostess at Co-
lumbia Bible College, Columbia, South Carolina, since 1942. Mr.
Downey died in 1937.
Mr. and Mrs. Hagle Quamstrom (Willodine Mclver) cel-
ebrated their silver wedding anniversary this past July. They
have two sons, one in college and one in high school. They
have lived in Gladstone, Michigan ever since they were married.
Hattie Irene Hayes is again a "school marm" teaching sixth
and seventh grades at Eoline, Alabama.
Martha Robison gave up her work as Head of the Y.W.C.A.
in New Orleans to take care of her mother. Mrs. Robison died
in May. Martha is still at their home in Birmingham.
Mrs. Walter Seifert (Jessie Creswell) writes from Denver
that she went back to teaching during the war and has stayed with
it ever since. She really enjoys her work and being with young
Minnie Hunter Wright is teaching Algebra and Geometry
in the Miami Senior High School in Miami, Florida.
Mrs. N. H. Yelton (Cerena Sue Polk) has given up teach-
ing and is devoting herself to keeping house and her excess energy
to acting as president of the Beta Chapter of Delta Kappa
Gamma, women teachers fraternity, in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Mrs. J. Morgan Cox (Dexter Clayton) has accepted a po-
sition on the Dean's staff at Westminster College, New Wil-
mington, Pa. Mrs. Cox is responsible for the personal guidance
of some 200 freshman and sophomore girls. Before accepting this
position Mrs. Cox attended a summer workshop course in youth
guidance at Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York.
Mrs. Charles Ramsey (Virginia Nicely) has recently opened
a new florist shop in Fountain City, Tennessee.
Charles N. Sharpe has resigned the pastorate of the First
Presbyterian Church, Cookeville, Tennessee, to become Dean of
Students at Tennessee Polytechnic Institute, Cookeville.
Mrs. Howard W. Ewert (Louise Margaret Sheddan) is
Supervisor of Nurses for the Jacksonville, Florida, City Health
Department. She was married in 1949 and lost her husband just
two months later. Her sister McLin, '11, keeps house for her.
Professor Edward C. Jandy, Mrs. Jandy (Lorene Smith '23)
and their daughter Gail, aged 16, will be living in Tel Aviv,
Israel for the next two years. Dr. Jandy, who is an Associate
Professor of Sociology at Wayne University, Detroit, has accepted
an appointment under the State Department to serve as Officer of
Cultural Affairs, Tel Aviv. He was formerly an official with
UNRRA in Ethiopia and has traveled extensivelv in the Near
East and Africa. The Jandys also have a married daughter.
The College library has received a copy of James Xeal Har-
din's new book, "From New York to Obernlon." This is a book
telling of the experiences of Major Hardin during World War
Hugh A. Coulter has recently been elected Superintendent
of Blount County Schools.
Mrs. Carl M. Conrad (Margaret Shepherd, ex '25), was on
the campus for a short visit in August. She observed quite a num-
ber of changes and especially missed the Chapel.
Francis Kinsler at last report was in South Korea. He and
his family were evacuated to Japan but he and several of the
other missionary men returned to Korea to serve in any way
possible, principally helping refugees.
Dr. John Robert Stockton has recently been appointed Di-
rector of the Bureau of Business Research of the University of
Robert C. Armstrong, Jr., is now executive Vice-President
and cashier of the Citizens Union Bank of Rogersville, Tennes-
Dr. and Mrs. C. B. LeQuire attended a meeting of the
International College of Surgeons in Buenos Aires this past sum-
mer. Dr. LeQuire delivered an illustrated lecture on Diverticu-
losis of Duodenum. Stops were made at Trinidad, Rio de Janeiro
and Santos, Brazil, and Montevideo, Uruguay.
Rev. Wallace C. Merwin, ex '27, returned to the United
States from Shanghai in August and he and Mrs. Merwin and
three of their children are making their home in Wooster, Ohio,
this winter. Don and Paul are sophomores in Maryville this year.
Roy Paul and his brother James Otis Paul, '33, were visitors
on the campus in August. Roy is living in Tarpon Springs, Flor-
ida, and James in Nashville, Tenn.
Harold Miller, accompanied by his wife and babv, visited
Earl Blazer, retiring President of the Alumni Association, deliver-
ing Rev. Marcel Pradervand's Maryville College diploma to him
in Geneva, Switzerland. The College conferred the Doctor of
Divinity degree upon Mr. Pradervand, Executive Secretary of
the World Presbyterian Alliance, at the 1949 Commencement
but the diploma had not then been inscribed. So Mr. Blazer took
it for personal delivery this summer.
old friends on the campus in April.
Stewart Henry Butten has resigned as pastor of the First
Church, Bradford, Ohio and Mt. Pleasant Church, Gettysburg,
Ohio, to do post-graduate work.
Mrs. Kenneth Crowley (Rosalie Batt) is again teaching in
the Alcoa schools.
Robert Walton Jones has accepted the position of president
of Washington College, Tennessee. Mr. Jones was formerly pas-
tor of the First Presbyterian Church, Jonesboro, Tennessee.
Louis B. Blair, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, visited friends on
the campus June 13, 1950. He and his wife and three children
were on their way to Florida for their vacation. Mr. Blair is su-
perintendent of a large hospital in Cedar Rapids.
Mrs. J. Reed Copeland (Wilma Dick), her husband and
two children sailed for Norfolk, England, August 23. Mr. and
Mrs. Copeland have been chosen for a year of teaching and
study under the international teacher exchange plan. Mr. Cope-
land will teach in the Aylsham Boys' School near Norwich, and
Mrs. Copeland will teach Home Economics at Lakenham School,
Norwich. They will live in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Frank
Thaxton, who with their son will live in the Copeland's apart-
ment in Hamilton, Ohio, and teach in the Hamilton Schools.
Cecil V. Marley is still in the Chaplaincy. Because of the
Korean situation his plans for graduate study at Harvard Divinity
School were changed and he has been assigned to one of the
James William Lewis received his Master of Arts degree
from George Washington University in February, 1950.
Rev. Clifton Earle Moore is Minister of Radio at First Pres-
byterian Church in Hollywood. California.
The September issue of "Today" was written by the con-
gregation of the Presbyterian church of State College, Pennsyl-
vania, of which the Rev. Andrew E. Newcomer is pastor. The
subject of the issue is "The Witness of the Church in the Life of
Warner Grayson Rutledge, husband of Ada Williams Rut-
died of a heart attack December 20, 1949. In May, Mrs. Rut-
ledge, died of a heart attack December 20, 1949. In May, Mrs.
Rudedge moved to Alexandria, Louisiana, where she i c to be an
Elementary Sunday School worker in the state department of
the Baptist Church.
Lewis Wilson Jarman, Jr., completed work and received his
Master of Science degree in Education from the University of
Southern California, June 17, 1950.
Rev. John E. Talmage and his family were evacuated from
Korea and are now in Japan. His sister Janet, '38, was also evac-
uated and has returned to this country for nurses training.
Burton Toms is paster of the Bible Presbyterian Church,
Merchantville, New Jersey.
Warren W. Warman moved last spring to the First Pres-
byterian Church, Avenel, New Jersey. A large addition to the
church was dedicated in September.
Although not many of the Class of 1935 were present at
Commencement time for the fifteenth reunion, many members
responded with cards. As a result, the Hugh Crawfords (Dorothy
Nethery) compiled a news letter which has been sent out to
the Class, scattered from California to Connecticut, from Texas
to Michigan. Below are some of the news items gathered and a
few added since then.
Theron Alexander, Jr., received his Ph.D. degree at the
University of Chicago and is now teaching Child Psychology at
Florida State University, Tallahassee. This summer he read a
paper at the convention of the American Psychological Associ-
ation. He and Marie (Bailey) have two children.
General Aniline & Film Corporation has published a very
interesting "College Map" giving the location of 240 colleges in
the United States which General Aniline employees have at-
tended. Maryville is represented by Walter J. Cloud, ex '35,
who works at the Grasselli, New Jersey, plant.
Sarah Fortune is a very' busy and energetic person. She has
taught Home Economics at Bristol for ten years and spends the
summers in Washington, D. C. as dietitian in a large restaurant.
William Frishe is at present quite ill and is in the Saranac
Lake Hospital. As soon as he is able he will enter upon his new
position in the chemistry department of the University of Detroit.
Mrs. Frishe (Eleanore Pflanze, '36) is with him.
Charles Gillander, pastor in Decatur, Indiana, has entered
a novel, "Ivan Igorwich, American," in the 1950 prize-novel
contest of the Zondervan Publishing Company.
Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Gillingham visited in Maryville on
their way to their new home in Miami, Florida. Mr. Gillingham
has recently accepted a position as teacher of mathematics in the
Miami High School system.
Charles Haddock has moved from Pataskalla, Ohio, to the
pastorate of the First Presbyterian Church, Trafford, Pennsyl-
Rev. James Herman Magee was on the campus for a short
visit in August on his way to the Smoky Mountains. Mr. Magee
has a pastorate in Lake Village, Arkansas.
Mrs. John W. McDevitt (Rena Joyner) and her husband
moved last year to Wake Forest after being at Western Carolina
Teachers College since 1937. Mr. McDevitt is now with the
State Budget Bureau at Raleigh.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert B. Metz, (Beatrice Thorson) and fam-
ily recently moved to Cleveland, Ohio. Mr. Metz is District
Manager for Woolworth Stores:
Margaret Nelson fell and broke her left arm shortly before
her school opened. However, she began teaching her classes at
the Castleberry, Alabama, High School— but from a wheel chair.
Mary Gillingham Padgett is another busy person. She is
superintendent of the nursery department at Sunday School and
assistant organist at church. She also has a large class in music.
Her main hobby is gardening, and she is justly proud of the
blue ribbons which she has won in flower shows.
Major and Mrs. Merritt O. Slawson have been transferred
from Miami, Florida, to the Hamilton Air Force Base, Hamilton,
California. Mrs. Slawson was Lucie Katherine Montgomery, '37.
Lt. Sam Waid, who has been in Germany for three and a
half years, arrived home in July and will be located at Camp
Gordon, Augusta, Georgia.
Violet Webb is working with the Veterans Administration
in the San Francisco area.
Rev. and Mrs. Alexander Christie are in the United States
for a furlough of one year. At the end of the year they expect
to return to the Philippines, where they are located in Manila on
the Mission Field.
William T. Paterson, Jr. writes from Cincinnati, "We have
purchased a new home. Would appreciate your changing your
records accordingly. Don't want to miss the Bulletin which I
enjoy very much!" He also reports two "Junior Alumni" not pre-
viously recorded: William T. Paterson, III, born November 28,
1946, and Catherine Craft Paterson, born August 2, 1948.
Under the caption, "Leaders of Protestant Radio," there is
in the February 18, 1950 "Presbyterian Life" a sketch and pic-
ture of Harold J. Quigley, director of special events of the Prot-
estant Radio Commission.
Mrs. Thomas A. Bailey (Elizabeth Jane Sommers) wrote in
June that her husband had just been ordained and installed as
pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Winamac, Indiana.
Mr. and Mrs. Andrew H. Bullard and two children visited
old friends on the campus on their way to Montreat. Mrs. Bul-
lard will be remembered as Roberta Wilfret, ex '37. Their home
is in Tupelo, Mississippi.
Stephen G. Adkins is now in the Accounting Department of
Tennessee Eastman Corporation at Kingsport, Tennessee. He
and Mrs. Adkins (Florence Tousley, ex '41) now have three
Helen Maguire Bryant brought her husband to see Mary-
ville this summer. Helen still teaches in the Covington, Ken-
Rev. and Mrs. Donald Rugh (Joy Pinneo, '39) and their
children are home from India on furlough. While in this coun-
try they may be reached through Mr. John L. Rugh, Rushford,
William L. Wood, M.D., Mrs. Wood (Polly Hudspeth, ex
'40) and children visited in California in 1950. Dr. Wood at-
tended the meeting of the American Medical Association in San
Francisco. Their home is in Yadkinville, North Carolina.
Among those who received degrees this past spring at the
Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky, was Hugh
L. Smith. Dr. Smith was awarded the degree of doctor of
theology. He has served for three years as a teaching fellow in
the department of New Testament Interpretation and for five
years was pastor of the Dawson Baptist Church, Philpot, Ken-
tucky. Since January he has been pastor of the Roswell Street
Baptist Church, Marietta, Georgia.
Carl Wells has a daily musical program on the Maryville
radio station WGAP. He is also taking several courses at the
College this semester.
Ruth Abercrombie Baker has taken a position in the research
department of Ford International in New York City.
Gordon R. Bennett has served three summers as Technical
Director of the Burnsville Playhouse, a division of the Burns-
ville School of Fine Arts, Burnsville, North Carolina. During the
winter Mr. Bennett is assistant professor of drama at the Univer-
sity of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida.
Floyd Loperfido, ex '40, has moved to a pastorate in Prince-
ton, Kentucky. He was formerly in St. Louis.
Dan M. McGill, Associate Professor of Life Insurance at
the University of North Carolina, taught at Leland Stanford this
summer. In the June issue of the "Journal of the American So-
ciety of Chartered Life Underwriters" he had an article en-
titled "The Philosophy and Cost of Government Life Insurance";
in the December 1949 issue he wrote "The Source of National
Service Life Insurance Dividends." Leland T. Waggoner, '38, is
an Associate Editor of this magazine.
Otto Pflanze, Jr. received his doctor's degree in history from
Yale University this past summer. He will teach in the history
department of New York University this year.
Edward M. Thomas is pastor of the Presbyterian Church at
James H. Thompson, who teaches Economics and Business
at West Virginia University, is to be one of the speakers at
the annual West Virginia Bankers Conference in October.
Andrew F. O'Conner is now pastor of the First Presbyterian
Church, Springville, New York. He was formerly pastor of the
Cayuga, New York, Church and the Springport Church, Union
Rev. and Mrs. Philip O. Evaul (Margaret Cloud, '39), who
are on the mission field, have been transferred from Rancagua to
Valparaiso, Chile, where they are to organize and direct a Bible
Institute and Training center for layworkers.
Williams D. Gehres received his M.A. degree from Peobody
in June and has accepted a position as instructor in English,
Speech and Drama at Washington and Jefferson College, Wash-
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Lee Jacobs (Anna Lee Storey) and their
daughter Jane have gone to Port Lavaca, Texas, to make their
home. Mr. Jacobs is with the Aluminum Company and has been
transferred. Mrs. Jacobs will teach in the Port Lavaca schools
Eldon L. Seamans resigned this summer from the North-
minster Church, Waterloo, Iowa, to accept a call to the Presby-
terian Church at New London, Iowa. He plans to take some work
at State University of Iowa this winter.
Roland W. Tapp received his M.A. degree from Columbia
University this summer and is now pastor of the Community
Church, Garberville, California. Mrs. Tapp was formerly Helen
Lucille Pratt, '42.
James Edward Thomas, who graduated from Harvard Law
School in 1948, is practicing law in Atlanta, Georgia. Mrs.
Thomas will be remembered as Dortha Jean White, '44.
Carlisle Walton graduated from Duke University Divinity
School and now is pastor of a church in Apex, North Carolina,
and two other churches nearby. He and Man' Jane (Mary Jane
Person, '43) have a twenty-months old daughter, Patricia Jane.
George D. Webster was one of the U. S. Department of
Justice attorneys who prepared the brief for the United States
in the appeal of the eleven Communists against their conviction.
On August 1 the United States Court of Appeals unanimously
affirmed the conviction of the Communists and upheld the
constitutionality of the Smith act under which they had been
Mrs. Howard W. Bridges (Clara L. McCord) is teaching
fifth grade in Corinth Junior High School, Corinth, Mississippi.
She has a daughter three years old.
Rev. and Mrs. John T. DeForest, ex '45 (Anne Gammon,
'42) are living in Pulaski, Tennessee, where John is rector of
the Episcopal church. They have two children.
Capt. Roger C. Graham, ex '42, and Mrs. Graham (Lorraine
Adkins, '41), are with the Headquarters Supply Department of
the army in Wiesbaden, Germany.
Mrs. Don Lee (Anne Marie Mikulich) has been teaching
in the Oakland, California, school system for three years and is
President of the Oakland Home Economics Association.
Mrs. Paul Treadwell (Kathryn Estes) has built a new
home in Ripley, Tennessee, and is living there with her three
children. Her husband, who is a Captain in the U. S. Air
Corps, has been sent to Goose Bay, Labrador.
Lt. Charles A. Foreman, U. S. Air Force, finished August
18 at the College of Industrial Administration, U. S. A. F. In-
stitute of Technology, Wright Field, Ohio. His new assignment
is Clark Air force Base, Luzon, P. I. Mrs. Foreman (Marian Ma-
gill, '43) and their daughters, Susan and Carol, will remain at
home in Maiden, Mass., for the present.
Ted and Cordelia Kidder (Cordelia Dellinger, '44) visited in
Maryville on their way to his new position on the faculty of
Washington University, St. Louis. Ted's field is oriental art and
they came home from their year of study in Paris via the Orient,
spending about a month in Japan.
Oscar Lee Lippard received his degree of Doctor of Surgical
Chiropody from Temple University Chiropody School in June,
1950. He expects to practice in Missouri. Mrs. Lippard was
Caroline Ellen Pascoe, '45.
Hal Lloyd and his bride (see Marriages) on August 24 sailed
for a year of study at Westminster College, Cambridge Univer-
sity, England. They spent the first part of September in Edin-
burgh attending the annual Fine Arts Festival.
Meredith Preston Pierce writes that Carl was graduated
from Jefferson Medical College in June and has accepted an
internship at the Binghamton, New York, City Hospital. They
will be living in Binghamton for the next year.
Mrs. Moses Sherman (Margaret McKirdy) had a very in-
teresting article published in the April & May issue of the Music
Educators Journal entitled "Honoring Yesterday's Bands."
Ernest Leslie Stoffel, ex '43, is serving as pastor of the
Westminster Church, White Pine, Tennessee and the Hebron
Church of Jefferson City, Tenn.
Alarguerite Ella Taylor received her Master of Science in
Library Science from the University of Southern California,
June 17, 1950.
Mr. and Mrs. William A. Buford (Elizabeth Copeland, ex
'46) live in Chattanooga, where Bill is in his second year as
pastor of the Wauhatchie Methodist Church.
Captain Frank L. Miller, ex '44, of the Army Medical Corps,
is at the Fitzsimmons General Hospital, Denver.
Dr. Aimee Wriggins Richmond wrote that she and her
husband were moving to Columbus, Ohio, where he was to
begin his graduate work in electrical engineering on June 20th,
just eleven days after graduating from Lafayette, and she would
begin a residency at Grant Hospital in Columbus on July 1.
Donald F. Black, ex '45, is Credit Manager of the Sears
Roebuck Store located in Lockport, New York, where he lives
with his wife (Mary Curtis, '45) and two children. Mr. Black
received his degree after the war, at St. Louis University Parks
Air College in aviation maintenance engineering.
Peggy Ann Case sailed October 1, fcr India, where she will
work under the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Missions. She
will be located -at Miraj Medical Center, Miraj, Bombay Prov-
Marian Metcalf Fershee is living in Miamisburg, Ohio,
where her husband is working on the New York Central. She
writes that her sister Nancy, ex '48, now Mrs. Jarold Anderson,
is also living in Miamisburg; her husband is a radio technician.
Jane's husband (see Marriages) is a chemist and they live in
Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Mr. and Mrs. John Howard Houdeshel (Mary Evelyn Jam-
ison, '46) are located in Havre de Grace, Maryland, where he
is pastor of the Presbyterian Church. This is Mr. Houdelshel's
first pastorate. He received his Master of Theology degree from
Princeton Seminary last May. In 1947-1948 he worked under
supervision of the Board of National Missions among the Dakota
Indians on Fort Peck Reservation in Montana.
Robert Barker is home from three years' foreign mission
work in Japan. The next two years will be spent at Princeton
Seminary finishing his work there.
Mrs. Kirk Odencrantz (June Townsend) received her Ph.D.
in chemistry on June 10, 1950, from Rutgers University. So
far as we know, Mrs. Odencrantz is the first woman from Mary-
ville College to receive this degree in chemistry.
Mr. and Mrs. Jay Richard Bishop (Lois Miller, ex '50) are
living in Crescent City, Florida, where Mr. Bishop is pastor of
the First Presbyterian Church. This is his first pastorate.
Mary E. Case, who has been working in the Biological Lab-
oratories at Oak Ridge since February, will begin work Oct. 1 as
a laboratory technician at Yale University, New Haven. She
is continuing in a project that was carried on for three years at
Oak Ridge and is now being continued at Yale.
Lottie Lavender Dean's husband resigned his military com-
mission last spring and they are at present living in Knoxville.
James Edward Evans received his B.D. degree in June from
Western Theological Seminary. Mrs. Evans' friends will remem-
ber her as Kate Powell, '42.
Daniel Buckley Eveland has accepted the pastorate of the
First Presbyterian Church, Frostburg, Maryland.
William Ranck Grosh was ordained to the Holy Order of
Deacons of the Episcopal Church, June 17, 1950, and now has
a pastorate in Waimanalo, Oahu, Ha%vaii.
Harold Eugene Huffman received his Bachelor of Divinity
degree from Western Theological Seminary in June, and is a
pastor in Cherry Tree, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Huffman (Ada Yadon,
'47) and small daughter were calling on old friends in Mary-
ville this past summer.
Eleanor Marie Kelley completed her work and received the
degree of Master of Nursing at Western Reserve University,
Cleveland, Ohio, in June.
James P. Martin graduated from McCormick in May and
is pastor of the Riverside Presbyterian Church, Minneapolis.
Irvin Kenneth McArthur graduated this spring from Louis-
ville Seminary and is in charge of the Nesbitt Larger Parish,
Charles Pepper is currently employed as a chemist at the
Y-12 plant in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. Mrs. Pepper (Geraldine
Hogan, '43) and their two sons drove down with him for a
brief visit on the campus this summer.
Geneva Jo Robertson has accepted a position in the cafeteria
of the LL. /ersity of Hawaii, Honolulu.
Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Schieber (Grace Gugger, '49) are
living in Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Schieber is a research physicist at
Rev. and Mrs. R. G. Schwanebeck (Mary Julia Turk) have
recently moved from Fitzgerald, Georgia, to Meridian, Mississippi,
where Mr. Schwanebeck has assumed the pastorate of the Jones
Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Leroy Victor Secrest, who has completed his work at Co-
lumbia Seminary, is now serving three churches in Camille,
Georgia, and Pelham, Georgia.
Raymond Howard Swartzback was ordained in his home
church, the Lochearn Presbyterian Church, Baltimore, Maryland,
April 19, 1950. He graduated from McCormick Seminary in
May and began his ministry as pastor of the Robertson Memorial
and English Woods Presbyterian churches in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Mrs. Swartzback was Jane Hays, '45.
Fred R. Wilson has finished his work at Princeton and is
under appointment of the Presbyterian Board of Foreign Mis-
Betty Absher plans to attend the Division of Christian Ed-
ucation of McCormick Seminary in Chicago this year. She has
been D.R.E. at the First Presbyterian Church in Kokomo, In-
Virginia Stevens Baier is teaching Home Economics in
Elizabeth, New Jersey.
Mr. and Mrs. James Lawrence Hogue are located at the
Presbyterian Manse, Orleans, Indiana. James has a church in
Orleans and one in Livonia. He is also attending Louisville Sem-
inary during the school term.
Milford Walter Castrodale, Jr., Scott McClure, and Carl
Murray all are seniors at Princeton Seminary, and also have stu-
Margaret (Peggy) Howell graduated from the Jordan School
of Music, Indianapolis, Indiana, in June, receiving her Master
of Music in Voice. She returned to Jordan in September as an
instructor in the Special Department of Instruction of the Col-
lege. Peggy spent July and August at Lake Chautauqua, New
Mr. and Mis. Harold Kidder, ex '48 (Catherine Sisk, '46)
have moved to Storrs, Connecticut. Harold is teaching music
theory and composition at the University of Connecticut.
Virginia McArthur, who has been a D.R.E. in Hot Springs,
Arkansas, for the past two years, is attending General Assembly's
Training School in Richmond, Virginia this year.
Last March Harold M. Russell was ordained and installed
as pastor of St. Paul's Presbyterian Church, Laurel Springs, New
Jersey. The Rev. Donald R. Killian, '38, Moderator of Pres-
bytery of West Jersey, presided and Rev. Robert J. Lamont, '41,
pastor of Narbeth Presbyterian Church, Narbeth, Pa., preached
Richard Francis Scruggs has accepted a position as assist-
ant administrator of Jefferson Hillman Hospital, Birmingham,
Alabama. He received his Master's degree in hospital adminis-
tration from Northwestern University in June.
Martha Edgerton Sovern, ex '48, lives in Battle Creek, Mich-
igan, where her husband works for the Kellogg Company. They
have two girls and a boy.
George William Vogel, Jr.,who has finished his middle
year at Princeton, is serving a student internship under super-
vision of the Board cf National Missions and the Seminary.
Thomas Wheeler completed work on his Master's degree at
the Upiversity of Tennessee this year and plans to go to the
University of North Carolina this fall to begin work on his
Irma Jean Benedict is working at a neuro-psychiatric hos-
pital in Hartford, Connecticut.
Ilda Mosby Bennett and Duncan (see Marriages) are living
in Maryville and Ilda is working as Editor of the "Maryville
Anna Jane Brunson is studying to be a laboratory tech-
nician at Elmira Hospital, Elmira, New York.
Katherine Boyer will complete her study at General Assem-
bly's Training School, Richmond, Virginia, this year. According
to newspaper reports, her parents were safely evacuated from
Korea to Japan.
John M. Briggs received the M.S. degree from the Uni-
versity of North Carolina in June. He is continuing graduate
work at the University of Wisconsin where he has a teaching
fellowship. His major field is insurance.
Ruthellen Crews has accepted a position as secretary to
the manager of the Cedar Chest Manufacturing Company at
Harold Henry is teaching Mathematics and Physics at
Everett High School, Maryville.
William Harold Hunter received his Master's degree from
University of Tennessee this past summer. He and his wife
(Barbara Bertholf, '49) are going to Madison, Wisconsin, where
Harold has a teaching fellowship at the University of Wisconsin
while working on his doctorate.
Carl Lazenby is pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church in
Jonesville, Louisiana, while taking a year of clinical training be-
tween his Junior and Middle years at Columbia Seminary.
J. Rush Lester, ex '49, received his LL.B. degree from the
University of Alabama and is a member of the law firm of
Clark & Lester, Florala, Alabama.
Friends of Hedwig Nabholz will be grieved to hear of the
death of her father last April. Hedwig will continue her studies
at McCormick this year.
Edwin Caleb Pancoast and wife (Eunice Billings, ex '49)
are living in Germany where he has a position with the State
Howard Pusey is a Middler at Princeton Seminary and has
been serving the Bethany Presbyterian Church of Chester, Pa.,
as student-pastor since graduating from Maryville.
Mr. and Mrs. Robert Reeve (Shirley Ballard) are in Beth-
lehem, Pa., where Bob is attending Lehigh University, working
toward an M.S. in Bacteriology. He expects to finish in Febru-
■ Geneva J. Robinson received her Degree of Bachelor of
Library Science, June 3, from the Pratt Institute of Technology,
Brooklyn, New York. This summer she has been a librarian on
the staff of the New York Public Library in the Central Circu-
The fiscal year for the Alumni Association began
July 1, 1950. Again we are reminding you of your dues
— S2.00 per year. Last year the response was good and
we hope this year's will be very generous indeed. Our
bank balance is low and the bill for the publication of
this issue of the Bulletin must be met promptly.
lation Department. This fall she plans to begin work on her
master's degree in Library Science.
Paul B. Shepard, ex '49, obtained his B.A., graduating cum
laude, from Redlands University, February, 1950. He is now on
a Fellowship at the University of Oregon, Eugene. Mrs. Shepard
will be remembered as Lillian Maye Conrad, ex '48.
Winifred Walton, ex '49, is working for the New Jersey
Chapter of the National Society for Crippled Children and
Adults, as Medical Secretary to the Case Worker and the Special
Education Consultant. She writes news of three classmates:
Olive Tamborelle received her master's degree from ■ Columbia
University and is working in Baltimore; Rita Ketchum married
Herbert J. Hein in 1948 and is living in Staten Island; Joan An-
derson married Karel Montor, graduated from the University of
Illinois, and is teaching in Champaign, Illinois.
Max Willocks, who is a student at Golden Gate Seminary,
San Francisco, has been on a 6,000-mile trip this past summer
with the Men's Quartet of the Seminary. Max is first tenor.
Mr. and Mrs. Carl Wilson (Sara Jo Kiger, '49) will be
located in Pasadena, California, this coming winter where Carl
will continue his studies at Fuller Seminary.
Ensign Paul Alan Kiger, ex '50, was designated a naval
aviator on May 24, 1950. He was presented his aviator's diploma
and "wings of gold" at a ceremony at the Naval Air Station,
Corpus Christi, Texas.
Granville Frank Eagleton, Prep. '88, of Maryville, died Au-
gust 25, 1950. He had been engaged in the hardware and real
estate business in Maryville before his retirement due to ill
health. He was the father of Parks Eagleton, ex '20, and Derrell
Eagleton, ex '33.
Miss Lillie A. Hammontree, Prep. '94, died on July 21,
1950 and her sister, Miss Cora T. Hammontree, Prep. '95, died
on August 2. They lived near Greenback.
Mrs. Robert Edgar Goddard (Annie Rule, Prep. '96), of
Maryville, died April 4, 1950. She is survived by three daughters
and three sons (one of whom is Richard E. Goddard, ex '31) and
four brothers (one of whom is Clay E. Rule, '12).
Christopher van Renssalaer Rankin, '08, died suddenly
April 5, 1950, in a Wichita, Kansas, hospital. He was for many
years superintendent of public schools in Kansas and in recent
years had been connected with the Wichita Juvenile Court. He
was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Wichita, where
he taught a men's Sunday School Class. He is survived by his
wife and one daughter, one brother, Joseph M. Rankin, '11, and
Charles C. Proffitt, Prep. '08, died May 6, 1950. Survivors
include his wife, the former Bettie Davis, '09, daughter Char-
lotte, '47 (Mrs. Kenneth Paxton), son Walter, ex '45, a sister,
Mrs. A. B. Waggoner (Blanche Proffitt, '11), and two brothers,
H. H., Prep '05, and D. W., '16. Another son, Oscar, ex '45, was
killed in World War II. Mr. Proffitt in recent years had been
serving the College as advisor and counselor for the college farm.
Mrs. James R. Goan (Sarah Flake, '09) died in Blue Ridge,
Georgia, June 3, 1950. She is survived by her husband, who
graduated at Maryville in 1907, and by seven daughters and
Mrs. Earle Adams Price (Edith Alice Jackson, ex '19) died
June 19, 1949. She had been a teacher for almost thirty years, re-
signing in January 1949 because of her illness. She is survived
by her husband.
John Ben Pectol, '30, head accountant of the Tennessee
Eastman Corporation, died suddenly at his home in Kingsport,
Tennessee, early in -the afternoon of September 9, 1950. He
had been with Tennessee Eastman since 1930. He was a mem-
ber of the Presbyterian Church and was active in civic affairs.
Survivors include his wife and two sons.
Mrs. Frederick Rawlings, Jr. (Mary Mildred Hatcher, '41)
died on June 12, 1950, at her home in Trenton, Kentucky. She
had not been in good health in recent years but her death was
unexpected. She leaves her husband, Dr. Rawlings, '41, a
daughter Martha, and other relatives.
1. Your two dollar dues for current expenses of the Alumni
2. Your gift to the Chapel Fund.
A gift of $150 may be designated for a chapel seat and
larger gifts for other things.
3. A visit to the College
Dedication of Fine Arts Center — November 18 (tentative'
"The Messiah"— December 10, 3:00 P.M.
February Meetings — January 31 to February 8, Morning
and Evening Services.
May Day Festival — Afternoon of May 1.
Fine Arts Festival — May 4 and 5.
Alumni Day — May 12
r A. #
--' : *-*f*