SCOTTISH HOUSE OF GOURLAY
Scottish House of Gourlay
Rev. Charles Rogers, D.D., LL. D.
FELLOW OF THE SOCIET
V OF ANTIQI'ARIES OF SC
RoVAL SOCIETY OF NUR'l
rHEKN ANTIQUARIES, COPI
ROV«L SOCIETY OF BOHE;
MIA, AND OF THE ROYAL
)F THE IMPERIAL ARCHIE
OF RUSSIA; AND COKB
lESPONDING MEMBER OF
SOCIETY OF BERLIN ; O:
F THE ROYAL SOCIETY Of
J GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
The Impression consists of Sixty Copies.
These " Memorials of the Scottish House of Gourlay "
I have been enabled to produce, consequent on the
cost of research having been defrayed by an honoured
member of the sept. The inquiry has been conducted
amjjly, and it is to be ho2:)ed that the result will prove
interesting not only to the members of the Family, but
also to those concerned in genealogical studies.
. CHAELES ROGERS.
EuiXBur.Gii, 6 Baknton Terhaie,
FAMILIES IK THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES, . 9
FAMILIES IN FIFESHIRE:—
gourlay of klncraio, . .17
Families at Largo, Falkland, and Kinu's Kettlk, 28
Families at Dysart, Wkmyss, Scoonie, Elie, and
Anstiiuther, ..... 29
Family at Dunfermline, ..... 31
Family at Kinghorn, . . .32
Families in Cere.s, ...... 33
Families at St Andri;ws, . . . . .37
FAMILIES IN LANARKSHIRE, STIRLINGSHIRE, AND
Families in Lanarkshire, ..... 45
Families in Stirlingshire, . . . .46
Families in Perthshire, ..... 48
FAMILIES IN THE NORTHERN COUNTIES,
SCOTTISH HOUSE OF GOURLAY.
Jfamilics in the Soiitbcrn Countice.
^jURING the sixteenth century the family of
Gourhiy held the lands of Sutton Grange
^^ in Yorkshire ; they also had possessions
in Cumberland. William Gourlay of Sutton
^^^ Grange, who was living about 1588, is described
as "a valiant captaui m sundry martial services
both at home and abroad."^
During the twelfth century, the family effected a
settlement in Scotland. Ingelram de Gurley is described
as having accomijanied William the Lion when that
king in 1174 returned from his captivity in England.
From King William he received lands in Lothian and
Clydesdale.- He had a son Hugh, who in 1180 is a
witness to a grant by Ingelram de Baliol to the Abbey
of Arbroath.^ Hugh de Gurley possessed lands in the
Lothiaus, also in Fife.^
' Foster's Visitations of Yorkshire, 168. ' Register of Aberbrothoc, 39.
' Howe's History of Eugland, p. 153. * Chartulary of Newbottle.
10 The House of G our lay.
Ingelram de Gurley witnessed various charters during
the reign of Alexander II. (1214-1249). He is one of
four witnesses to a charter by which Sybald, son of
Walter, grants to the monks of Cupar certain rents of
the Mill of Lundyn ; the charter is undated, but is in
the register followed by another dated in 1220.^ As
" Ingeram de Gurle " he is witness to a charter by which
Alan, constable of Lammermoor, grants to the church
of Melrose a right of pasture." In 1245 Ingelrani de
Gurley witnesses a grant by Hew of Malhewe to
Thomas de Eoss of the lands of Eoss of Milnetor,
Hallingshaw, and Bathstruth in Angus.^
Among those who in 1296 did homage to Edward I.
were Matthew de Gurle, whose locality is not given ;
Roger Gourlay and William de Gourlay, of the county
of Edinburgh ; William de Gourlay of Balgally in
Forfarshire ; and Adam de Gourlay, of the county of
Roxburgh.^ On the 2d January 1303-4, Adam de
Gourlay the homager, also Alan de Gourlay, were
members of a jury appointed by Edward I. to deter-
mine as to the succession to Sir Thomas de Chartres,
who owned lands in the barony of Wilton, and had died
in the year preceding at enmity with the King.^
In a mandate, dated 2d September 1296, whereby
lands and goods are restored to certain ecclesiastical
' Rental Book of Abbey of Cupar, I., ■* Ragman Roll.
- Chartulary of Melrose. ^ ExcheijuerQ.R. Miscellanea, placita,
' Register of Aberbrotlioc, 338. etc., No. Y'
The House of Goiirlay. 11
persons, is named Patrick of Gurleghe, i^arson of the
church of Loghorward, in the shire of Edinburgh. ^
On the 2:3d December 1292, Edward I., as overlord
of the Kingdom of Scotland, intimated to William do
Soulis, envoy from Scotland, his remission to William
de Lamberton of a fine of ten merks, in which he was
amerced by an assize, at the instance of Hugh de Gurlay,
in reference to a tenement in Linton.- Hugh de Gurlay
was, on the 24th May 1297, invited by Edward I.,
along with the young Earl of Carrick, afterwards King
Kobert I., and James the Steward of Scotland, and
many others, to accompany him in his proposed expedi-
tion to Flanders.^* In the account rendered by Eobert
Peebles, Chamberlain of Scotland, in 1328, there is
included a payment of one hundred shillings to Hugh
de Gurlay, by the King's mandate, for a certain old
On the 24th July 1314, Edward II. granted at York,
under his own Privy Seal, protections and safe conducts
to John de Gourlay and Symon de Gourlay, who were
about to proceed to France, along with William de
Umfraville, in quest of money for the ransom of Sir
Ingelram de Umfraville, a prisoner with the Scots.^ Sir
Ingelram was jirobably made captive at the battle of
On the 30th March 1359, Patrick Gourlay, bailie of
1 Rotuli Scotia-, vol. i., 1h, 26. -i Exclierincr Rolls, vol. i., 216.
= Ihid., 14=. 5 Privy Seals (Tower), 8 Edward II.,
' Close Roll, 25 Edward I., ni. 27. file 4.
12 The House of Gourlay.
Haddington, rendered to the Chamberlain at Dundee
his account for that burgh.'
On the 26th October 13(35, " John GouHay, merchant
of Scotland," received permission to enter England
with four companions ; and at the same date William
Gourlay, " merchant of Scotland," with four companions,
had a similar licence. -
In August 1534, Mr Norman Gourlaj^, apparently a
native of the Lothians, was, along with David Stratoun,
of the house of Lauriston, charged with heresy in the
Abbey Church of Holyrood. At the trial, James V.,
then in his twenty-second year, Avas present, clothed in
red. Condemned to perish at the stake, the prisoners
were, on the 27th August, borne to Greenside Well,
and there burned. The sjiot of execution was selected
so that the flames might be witnessed by, and strike
terror among, the people of Fifeshire. Xorman Gourlay
had denied the existence of purgatory, and affirmed that
the Pope was Antichrist.^
On the site of Melbourne Place, at Edinburgh, stood
a large mansion known as Robert Gourlay 's house, and
having over the principal entrance the legend : " O
Lord in thd is al my traist, 1569." Eobert Gourlay, the
original owner, was a messenger-at-arms connected with
Holyrood Abbey, an office bestowed upon him by the
commendator, Adam Bothwell, Bishop of Orkney. An
> Excheijucr Kolls, vol. i., 620. ^ CalderwooJ's History of the Cliurcli,
- Kotuli Scotia-, vol. i., 897, a/b. i., 104-107.
The Hojise of Goicriay. 13
elder of the church, he was, in May 1574, ordained to
profess his repentance in St Giles' Church " for trans-
porting wheat out of the countrie." ^ When, in 1581,
about to suffer death, the Regent Morton was for two
days detained in Eobert Gourlay's house under a strong
guard ; - and there ensued those remarkable con-
ferences between him and certain ministers, in which,
while protesting his innocence of Darnley's murder, he
admitted his foreknowledge of it.
John, the eldest son of Robert Gourlay, erected a
house at the foot of the alley which conducted to his
father's mansion, and in this structure was the Bank of
Scotland accommodated from its establishment in 1695
till the year 1805.
On the 8th August 1588, David Gourlay, described
as a son of Robert Gourlay, merchant-burgess of Edin-
burgh, entered into a contract of marriage with Marion,
daughter of Robert Primrose, chirurgeon-burgess of
Edinburgh. To this contract are named as approvers,
on the part of David, his father and mother, Robert
Gourlay and Helen Cuik, also his brother John. And
he becomes bound to infeft his future wife in an annual-
rent of £80 out of the lands of Elryk Myrick, in Balna-
On the 2d December 1627, David Gourlay, son of the
deceased David Gourlay, merchant-burgess of Edin-
' Caklenvood's History of the Church, - Ibid., iii., 5;)6.
ii., 328. ' Register of Deeds, vol. .\xx., fol. .348.
14 Tlie House of G our lay.
burgh, granted an obligation to Allan Lockhart, brother-
german to the laird of Cleghorn, for the sum of £1000.'
At Linhthgow, on the 17th May 1606, Gilbert
Gourlay, in Redheuch, entered into a contract for the
marriage of Jean Gourlay, daughter of his late brother
Michael Gourlay, with Alexander Glen, son of the late
John Glen of Inneraven, in Fife. A witness to the
contract is Patrick Gourlay, portioner of Redheuch.^
James Gourlay, portioner of Dalkeith, granted in
October 1638 an obligation toMr John Oswald, minister
at Pencaitland, for 100 merks.^
John Gourlay of Rowlwood, in Roxburghshire, is
named upon an inquest, expede on the 15th February
1497-8/ At Jedburgh, on the 20th June 1640, John
Gourlay of Rowlwood engaged in a contract with
William Turnbull, in Hassendenebank, as to the pay-
ment of an annual-rent out of his lands of Rowlwood.^
' Register of Deeds, Tol. XXX., fol. 348. Mlistorical Commissioners' Report,
" IhiA. vii., Appendix 729.
' Ihid. 5 Fife Register of Sasines, vol. 84.
FAMILIES IN FIFESHIRE.
families in Jfifcsbirc.
GOURLAY OF KiNCKAIG.
Hugh de Gourlay, grandson of Ingelram de Guvley,
the original settler in Scotland, held lands in the
Lothians, and in Fifeshire.' Dying early in the reign
of Alexander II., he was in his lands succeeded by
his son Hugh. This gentleman made a donation to
the Monastery of Newbottle. In the charter or gift,
he is designed "Hugo de Gourlay, filius Hugonis."- In
1272 he is witness to a confirmation ))y Bishop William
Wishart of St Andrews of the churches of Innerwyc
and Lygerwod.' He died early in the reign of
Alexander III., leaving two sons, William and Hugh.
Hugh de Gourlay, the second son, became steward
to the Earl of Dunbar. As witness to a donation to
the monks of Coldingham in 12(51, he is designed
"Hugo de Gourlay, senescallus comitis de Dunbar."*
William de Gourlay, elder son of Hugh, succeeded
to the family estates. He is named in a donation to
the Monastery of Newbottle. He died prior to 1290,
leaving a son William.
William acquired lands in different localities. To
the Monastery of Newbottle he granted certain lands
' See supra. ^ Chartulary of Paisli-j-.
'- Cliartulary of Newbottle, p. 94. ■• Wiits of Coldiiigliaiii, p. 58.
18 The House of Gonrlay.
lying- neai- Arthur's Ooii, in the county of StirHng.
In the charter, which is dated 'id July 1293, he is
designed " Willielmus de Gourlay, filius et haires
Willielmi de Gourlay." ' He died in the reign of King
Robert the Bruce, and was in his lands succeeded by
his son Simon de Gourlay, who became coroner of
Simon de Gourlay of Kincraig married Elizabeth,
daughter and heiress of John Alderston of that ilk.
In the year 1345 she conveyed the barony of Alderstt)n
to her husband, reserving her liferent. Simon de
Gourlay annexed the estate of Alderston to his barony
of Kincraig. He had two sons, John and William.
John, the elder son, died young and unmarried.
William, the second son, succeeded to the family
estate. He died towards the close of the reign of
David II., leaving two sons, John and William.
John of Kincraig, the elder son, married a daughter
of Sir Walter Bickerton of Luffness or Aberlady, a
notable baron in the reign of Robert III." Dying
without surviving issue, he was succeeded by his
brother William, who, being of extravagant habits,
alienated a portion of the family estate. He was
father of Alexander Gourlay, who in 1394 obtained a
warrant from Robert III. " for recognoscing in his
Majesty's hands, some acres of land in the barony of
Kincraig, which his father had mortified to the church
' Cliartulary of Newbottle, p. 96. - Nisbet's Heraldry, vol. i., p. 349.
The House of G our lay. 19
of St Monancc, without the consent of the Superior."^
Alexander Gourhxy married a daughter of
Lauder of Balcomie,- by whom he had a son, John,
who, on the 30th July 1431, was served heir to
his father in the lands of Aklerston, Plewlands,
Caponflat, and others, in the constabulary of Had-
dington.^ In 1457, John Gourlay of Kincraig
witnesses the rectification of the boundaries of King-
horn, Wester and Easter; also in 14(5(5, the rectification
of the lands of Gaytmilk (Goatmilk), in the parish
of Kinglassie. He died in the reign of James II., and
was succeeded by his son, John Gourlay, who in 1443
married Elizabeth, daughter of James Abercrombie
of Balcormo.* Upon his father's resignation, John
Gourlay, on the 28 th April 1444, received from James,
Bishop of St Andrews, a charter of the lands of
Innergelly and others. He had two sons, John and
Alexander, the second son, was by his brother John,
on the 7th January 14(57, appointed bailie of his barony
John, the elder son, succeeded to Kincraig. As
" John Gourlay of Kincraig," he is named on an
inquest which, on the 19th May 1489, found that Sir
Norman Leslie was heir of the late Sir David of
1 Warrant in possession of the family. •'Marriage Contract in possession of
■ Wood's East Neuk of Fife, pp. 37, the family.
' Retour in possession of the family. '' Family Tapers.
20 The House of Gourlay.
Leslie, in the barony of Balinbreck.' He married
Margaret, daughter of ■ INIonypenny of Pitmilly,
and by her had a son, Alexander.
On the 14th May 1491, Alexander Gourlay had
confirmed to him a charter, whereby his grandfather,
John Gourlay of Kincraig, conveyed to him the lands
of Alderston and others.' On the 14th May 1492, he
had a charter under the Great Seal of the lands of
Alderston, Reddercraig, and others ; and in 1495 he
had sasine of the lands of Kincraig.'* On the 7th July
1511, James IV. granted to Alexander Gourlay of Kin-
craig and his heirs, three-eighth parts of Uchtirmairnie,
in the territory of Kennochy (Kennoway), which hauls
were lately adjudged to be in the King's hands.*
Alexander Gourlay of Kincraig married Helen,
daughter of John Cockburn of Ormiston, by whom he
had a son, William ; also a daughter, Margaret.
Margaret Gourlay married Patrick Blackadder of
Dnndaff ; they had, on the 13th April 1542, a charter
of the lands of DundafF.
William Gourlay had, on the 26th August 1538, a
charter of half the lands of Kincraig, and of Auchter-
mairnie and others, which he had resigned into the
King's hands.^ By another charter under the Great
Seal, dated the 12th June 1540, he and his wife, Janet
' Fourth Report of Historical Cominis- ^ Excliequer Rolls, vol. x.
sioners : Rothes Family Papers, app. 503. ■* Registerof the Great Seal, book xvii.>
"- Register of the Great Seal, book xii., No. 5S.
No. 370. ' Jhid , book xxvi. , No. 111.
77/6' House of G our lay. 21
Forman, received half the lands of Kincraig ; also the
lands of Alderston, Caponflat, Plewlands, Pethdales,
and others, in the constabulary of Haddington, which
the King incorporated into the free barony of Kincraig/
William Gourlay of Kincraig married, secondly,
Janet Kellie ; he died in or prior to 1560.^
In the barony of Kincraig, William Gourlay was
succeeded by his son, Alexander. On the 6th August
1579, James VI. confirmed a charter whereby William
Lundy, of that ilk, granted to Alexander Gourlay half
the lands of Kincraig.^
Alexander Gourlay of Kincraig married Janet,
daughter of Thomas Scott of Abbotshall, who survived
liini, and died before 1607. Of the marriage were
born two sons, Thomas and William. William, the
second son, married Elizabeth Balfour.*
Dying about the year 1600, Alexander Gourlay was
succeeded by Thomas, his eldest son. On the 17th
July 1600, Thomas Gourlay had under the Great Seal
confirmed to him the lands of Gordonshall, which he
had purchased from John Borthwick of Balhouffie.^
Thomas Gourlay married Barbara, daughter of Robert
Paterson of Dunmure. Under the Great Seal, he and
his wife had, on the 15th February 1587, a charter of
the lands and barony of Kincraig.
'Register of the Great Seal, book MVood's East Nuke of Fife, p. 258.
xxviii., No. 17.
= Wood's East Neuk of Fife, p. 258. = Register of the Great Seal, book xlii.,
' Reg. Great Seal, book x.xxv., No. SO. No. 70.
22 The House of Goitrlay.
Thomas Gourlay of Kincraig died in February 1G27 ;
and his testament-dative was, on the 14th of the follow-
ing March, given up by David Brown of Finmonth
as a creditor.^
By his wife, Barbara Paterson, Thomas Gourlay had
a son, William.
William Gourlay, son of Thomas Gourlay, married
Jean, daughter of James Macgill of Nether Rankeillor ;
their Marriage Contract is dated 1st April 1609.
William predeceased his father, leaving a son, Thomas ;
also a daughter, Janet, who married William Dudding-
ston of Sandford."
From his grandfather, Thomas Gourlay of Kincraig,
Thomas, son of William, had, on the 29th May 1612, a
charter of "the sunny half of Kincraig."^ In 1631,
Thomas succeeded to the barony. He was, as one of
the Committee of Parliament in 1644, ardently attached
to the cause of Charles I. At the Restoration, he, in
reward of service, received the honour of knighthood.
A member of the Archery Company of St Andrews,
he was winner at the competition in 1642, and conse-
quently had the privilege of attaching a silver medal,
inscribed with his name and arms, to one of the Com-
pany's silver arrows. The aiTow, with two others,
bearing seventy-nine medals, is preserved at St
Andrews in the Museum of the United College. As
' St AnJrew's Com. Keg. ' Register of the Great Seal, book
2 Wood's East Neuk of Fife, p. 258. xlvii., No. 104.
The House of Go2crlay. 23
" Sir Thomas Gourlay of Kiucraig, Knight," he had, on
the 19th September 1653, sasine of a mansion and
portion of ground at Elie.* He was a Commissioner of
Supi:)ly for Fife and Kinross in 1655, 1656, and 1659/
He died about 1670.
Sir Thomas Gourhay married Janet, daughter of
Kobert Bruce of Pitlogie,^ by whom he had two sons,
Thomas and John ; also two daughters, Jane and
Jane, elder daughter, married, 26th June 1656,
Eobert Lentrone, Provost of St Andrews, with issue a
son, James, baptized 23d April 1657.*
Margaret, second daughter, was baptized on the 12th
March 1642.' She married, 28th December 1665,
Nathaniel Spens of Lathallan ; " a sasine proceeding
on their marriage contract is dated 3d November 1665.'
On the 3d March 1670, she received, in liferent, a
charter of the east half of the lands of Lathallan, on
her husband's resignation.* She had a son, Thomas.^
John, younger son of Sir Thomas Gourlay, studied
medicine, first at Edinburgh, and afterwards in Paris ; he
thereafter practised as a physician at Ehe, in Fife. In
1660 he married Margaret, daughter of Dr Sharp,
' Fife Kegister of Sasines, vol. xviii., ^ Kilconquliar Parish Register,
foj 3g^_ ' Fife Register of Sasines, new series,
" Acta Pari. Scot, VI., Part ii., 847. vol. iii.
' Fife Register of Sasines, vol. ix^ , fol. ^ Regi.ster of the Great Seal, book l.\v.
168, 169. No. 88.
■* Kilcoiiquhar Parish Register. ' ihid.
24 The House of Goiirlay.
physician in Edinburgh.' On the occasion of his
marriage, he received from his father a small portion
of the Alderston estate.- He died in 1607, leaving
two daughters, Margaret and Helen. ^
Thomas, the elder son, died in 1661, predeceasing
his father. He married, 24th July 1657, Margaret,
daughter of William Forbes, younger of Rires, by whom
he had three sons ; also a daughter, Margaret, who
married first, her cousin, Thomas Spens of Lathallan ;
and secondly, the Kev. Hew Kemp, minister at
Of the three sons of Thomas Gourlay and Margaret
Forbes, Arthur, born posthumously, and baptized 1st
March 1662,* died young.
Thomas, the eldest son, baptized 8th October 1658,^
succeeded his grandfather in the barony of Kincraig.
Of remarkable strength, no one might venture to wrestle
with him ; and when the mansion of Kincraig was
being erected, and a lintel gave way, he sustained the
weight on his shoulders till a support was provided."
He died in April 1683, unmarried.'
William Gourlay, second son of Thomas Gourlay and
Margaret Forbes, was baptized 17th January 1660.* In
1683 he succeeded his brother in the barony of Kincraig,
' Wood's East Neuk of Fife, pp. 173, ^ Kilconquhar Parish Register.
258. « Wood's East Neuk of Fife, p. 258.
'- Fife Ri'g. of Sasines, new series, vol. i. 'Fife Register of Sasines, 27tli May
' Wood's East Neuk of Fife, p. 528. 1685.
* Kilcoiiijuhar Parish Register. * Kilconquhar Parish Register.
The House of Gourlay. 25
and died in December 1718.^ He married Jean, only
child of John Lessells, Provost of Haddington. He
had three sons — Thomas, William, and John ; also three
Janet, the eldest daughter, married Captain Reid of
the Dragoons, with issue a daughter, who married
Ker of Cavers.
Helen, second daughter, died unmarried.
Jean, third daughter, married Dr John Scott of
Of the sons, Thomas, the eldest, predeceased his
William, second son, succeeded to Kincraig, and died
in 1776.- He married a daughter of George Seton of
Pitmedden (who died in 1792), with issue a son, George,
and a daughter, Mary Anne.
Mary Anne Gourlay married Dr Tait, surgeon in
Elie, and died in 1776, without issue.'^
George Gourlay, younger of Kincraig, married in
1757 Margaret, only child of William Robertson, of
the family of Bedlay, Writer to the Signet. He pre-
deceased his father, dying prior to the 14th January
1774, when his testament-dative was given up by his
son William, and his daughters Margaret and Mary.*
William, only son of George Gourlay, succeeded to
1 St Andrews Com. Reg., 14tli Novem- ^ Wood's East Neuk of Fife, p. 259.
ber 1719. '' St Andrews Com. Keg., 14tb January
= Ihkl., 24tli May 1777. 1774.
26 The House of Gourlay.
the barony of Kincraig on the death of his grandfather
in 1776.^ In 1792 he died unmarried.
John, third son of William Gourlay and Jean Lessells,
settled in Haddington as a wine merchant. He married
Elizabeth, daughter of David Plenderleath of Kailzie,
by whom he had a son, William. This gentleman some
time practised as a jjliysician in Madeira, and in 1792
succeeded his cousin William in the barony of Kincraig.
He died on the 18th November 1827, aged sixty-six.
He is commemorated on a mural tablet at the family
burying-place in Kilconquhar churchyard.
William Gourlay of Kincraig married first, in 1787,
Catherine, daughter of Colonel Philip Van Cortlandt,
of America, by whom he had a son, John ; also four
John Gourlay, who succeeded his father in the barony
of Kincraig, died in December 1833 unmarried, and
was in the lands succeeded by his cousin IMargaret
Gourlay, daughter of George, and grand-daughter of
William, of Kincraig. She died in 1846 unmarried, and
was succeeded by her cousin, Catherine, eldest daughter
of William Gourlay of Kincraig.
Catherine Gouiiay, latterly of Kincraig, married, first.
Captain Roden Douglas, Royal Navy, and, secondly,
James Bean, of Madeira. She died in December 1864.
Elizalieth, second daughter of William Gourlay of
Kincraig, died unmarried.
' St Andrews Com. Reg., 24th May 1777.
TJie House of Gourlay. 27
Gertrude, fourth claugliter, died unmarried.
Jean Plenderleath, third daughter, married John
Austin, General in the Portuguese service, and settled
in Madeira. She died in 1823, leaving a son and three
William Edmund Craufurd Austin, only son of
General Austin and Jean Plenderleath Gourlay, born
in 1821, succeeded his aunt, Catherine Gourlay, as
proprietor of Kincraig, when he assumed the additional
name of Gourlay. He is M.A., and Kector of Stanton
St John, Oxfordshire. He married in 1SG3 Emily,
daughter of Captain Frederick Blair, E.N., without
Elizabeth Page, eldest daughter of General Austin,
by his wife Jean Plenderleath Gourlay, died in
Susan Arbuthnot Craufurd, second daughter, married
the Eev. William Gorst Harrison, Rector of Easington,
in the county of Durham, Avith issue a son, Gilbert
Eliot, Lieutenant Pvoyal Navy; also nine daughters-
Gertrude, Susan, Kathleen, Emily, Julia, Winifred,
Eachel, Decima, and Beatrice.
Anna Maria Margaret Catherine, third daughter,
married Lieutenant William Charles Callow, who died
AVilliam Gourlay of Kincraig married secondly, in
1822, Mary, only daughter of James Mackintosh (who
died in 1879) ; she bad two daughters. Marion Bean,
the elder daughter, died unmarried on the 27th February
28 The House of Gourlay.
1888. Helen, younger daughter, died unmarried on
the 30th December 1845.
The family arms, sable; an eagle displayed argent,
armed and beaked gules. Crest : such another eagle
issuing out of the torss. Motto : Profunda cernit.
jfaniilics at Xaroo, jral[Uau&, an& Hvino's llxcttle.
In the Revenue lieturns for 1486-1492, Thomas
Gourlay is, under the " Quarter of Falkland," entered
as tenant of the Mill of Aldhall.'
In the rental of 1492-1500 of the "Quarter of Largo,"
James Gourlay appears as tenant of an eighth of
Newton Rires.' Patrick Gourlay was subsequently
tenant at Newton Ilires.^
In the rental of 1492-1500, John Gourlay is named
as tenant of "a fourth of Kettle."* At Perth, on the
29th September 1541, James V. granted in feu ferme
to John Gourlay, son and heir of the late John Gourlay,
a quarter of the land of Katill (Kettle).^
On the 23d January 1589, Walter Gourlay, portioner
of King's Kettle, executed his will. He appointed his
wife, Isobel Lummisdain, as his executrix, and provided
' Excheqviev Rolls, vol. x. Newton Rires is now iucliuluJ in the
- Ihid. estate of Cliarletoii.
' Wood'.s East Neiik of Fife, ]i. 6.3. * Exchequer Rolls, vol. x.
^ Register of the Great Seal, xxviii., 54S.
The House of Gourlay. 29
that in the event of her second marriage, Walter
Heriot of Eamorgany (Ramornie), and j\Ir Thomas
Lummisdain, "persoun of Kinkell," should become
tutors to his eldest son/
On the 26th December 1605, Walter Gourlay, son
and heir of the deceased Walter Gourlay, portioner of
King's Kettle, obtained sasine of the fourth part of
the lands of King's Kettle.^
families at 2)v'sart, Mcin\>65, Scoonie, lEIic,
At Edinburgh, on the 14th April 1513, Eobert
Gourlay, burgess of Dysart, and Grissel Wemyss, his
spouse, had a charter of the lands of Hauch, on the
resignation of Andrew Kynnynmonth.^
Magnus Gourlay, burgess of Wester Wemyss, granted,
on the 31st August 1622, an obligation to Thomas
Alexander of Drumeldrie, for £215.''
On the 3d February 1659, Thomas Gourlay, in
Scoonie, and Christian Pittillok, his wife, had sasine
in a tenement in the sea-town of Largo/
1 St Andrews Cora. Register. ^ Register of Deeds, vol. 350.
- Fifeshire Register of Sasines. ■'' Fifeshire Register of Sasines, vol.
^ Register of Great Seal, xviii., 152. xxi., fol. 23.
00 Tlie Ho7ise of Goitrlay.
Scions of the House of Goiirlay of Kincraig had
settled at Elie, ia or prior to the seventeenth century.
At the baptism of a chikl of George Gourhiy, in Elie,
on the 12th June 1672, the laird of Kincraig was a
witness.^ George Gourlay was captain of a coasting
vessel, and owner of the eighth of " The Hopewell of
Anstruther," and tenth of " The ]\Iargaret of Elie."
He died in March 1776, when his "free gear" was
valued at £2467, 6s. 8d. He bequeathed £100 for "a
handsome burial stane to be placed abune his corps ; "
and made provision that in the failure of his own
children, his substance should be inherited by the
children of his brother John, skipper or ship-captain
At Elie, on the west of Auchmuty's Wynd, and
close to the sea, a large house of castellated form,
and evidently built in the sixteenth century, was the
property of the Kincraig family. It was probably
used as a marine residence.'
1 Elie Parish Register. = St Andrews Com. Reg., May 2, 1676.
» Wood's East Neuk of Fife, p. 66.
The House of G our lay. 31
jfatnil^ at ©unfcrmlinc.
To a Precept by Archbishop James Beaton of St
Andrews, for the mduction of Sir Walter Stewart to
the parish church of St Ninian's of Kirktown, dated
at the Abbey of Dunfermline 10th November 1527,
Alexander Gourlay is a witness.'
At Tori-y, on the 7 th April 1542, a charter of sale
was granted by Henry Stewart of Rossyth to Mar-
garet Gourlay, lady of Torry, in liferent, and to
Patrick Blacater, her son, in fee, of the lands of
Dundufi", in the barony of Rossyth. One of the
witnesses is James Gourlay. '
To a Precept of Sasine, dated at Dunfermline 3d
March 15-44, Thomas Gourlay is a witness. Thomas
Gourlay and his wife had, about the year 1555, a
charter of feu ferme of the seventeenth part of Over
Grange of South Ferry.^
Between the years 1555 and 1583, William Durie
and Jeanne Gourlay, his wife, had a charter of feu
ferme of a foui'th part of the lands of Newlands ; they
had also a charter of the lands of Kelty.* On the 7th
June 1566, Robert, Archdean of St Andrews, granted
to William Durie and Jean Gourlay, his wife, in free
tenement, a charter of the lands of Medo-end, in the
regality of Dunfermline.'
' Chartulary of Cambuskentutli, p. ■' Register of Dunfermline.
157. •■ Ihid.
- Register of Great Seal, xxviii., 178. * Register of Great Seal, xxxiii., 13.
32 The House of G our lay.
Jfamili? at Ikinobont.
About the year 1555 John Gourlay of Kincraig
received " an assedation " of the eighteenth part of Over
Grange of Kinghorn Wester.^
On the 16th November 1619, Archibakl Gourlay,
burgess of Kinghorn, executed his Will ; he appointed
as his executrix his wife, Elspeth Glen."
George Gourlay, skipper-burgess of Kinghorn, and
his wife, Marion Cunningham, had in December 1646
sasine of eighty merks out of tenements of land called
Killeraik of Kinghorn.^
On the 18th June 1706, William Gourlay, burgess of
Kinghorn, received from William Edmond an obligation
^ Kegister of Dunfermline. * Register of Deeds, vol. cx.x.\ii., May
- St Andrews Commissariot Register. 11, 1707.
^ Fifesliire Re"ister of Sasines.
The House of Gotirlay. 33
IfamiUcs in Ceres.
A brancli of the fomily of Kincraig settled in the
parish of Ceres early in the seventeenth century. On
the 18th May 1629, Thomas Mortoun at Pitscottie,
a deacon of the parish church of Ceres, and his wife
Margaret Gourlay, had a child baptized, one of the
witnesses being Sir John Hope of Craighall.^
On the 7th October 1674, Thomas Gourlay, tenant
in Baldirran, parish of Ceres, received sasine of an
annual-rent of £80 out of the lands of Baltullie and the
lands of Kirkland.^ His testament-dative was on the
19th February 1683 given up by his widow, on behalf
of Thomas Gourlay, their only son, — his free gear being
valued at £959, Is. 8d.^
John Gourlay, farmer in Kinninmonth, parish of
Ceres, died in December 1695. In his inventory, given
up by his widow, his " free gear " is valued at £369.*
John Gourlay married, in June 1674, Elizabeth Carstares,
of the parish of Kilconquhar.^ His son John, farmer
at Denhead in the parish of Ceres, died prior to the
10th November 1723.'^
John Gourlay, farmer at Denhead, had by his wife,
1 Ceres Parish Register. Carstares was a member of the handeJ
''■ Fifeshire Register of Sasines. family of Carstares of Kilconquhar, to
' St Andrews Com. Register. wliicli belonged the celebrated Principal
4 7Ji(i. Carstares of Edinburgh.
= Ceres Parish Register. Elizabeth " Ceres Parish Register.
34 The House of Gourlay.
Helen Black, an eldest son Robert, who was born 27th
October 1704.^ He succeeded to his father's lease of
Denhead farm, and on the 14th November 1737 received
in feu the mill lands of Craigrothie.^ He married
Barbara, daughter of William Beath, residing at Kilmuck,
parish of Scoonie, and by her had four sons, William,
John, Oliver, and David.*
Oliver, the third son, was baptized on the ISth
August 1740. Having some years engaged in legal
pui'suits at Edinburgh, he returned to his native county.
In April 1774 he had sasine of the lands of Newton
Leys, Bonnybanks, Newbigging, and others, in the
parish of Ceres ; and in April 1779 he obtained the
lands of Balhilly, Craigrothie Mill, and the Mains of
In acquiring these and other lands, Oliver Gourlay
was led to believe that by a course of high farming he
would attain opulence. Ardent in his enterprises, he
in 1780 invited the Town Council of St Andrews to
construct a superior road between their city and his
estate, assuring them that thereby they " would eternize
their names." * Impressed by his agricultural activities,
capitalists extended to him a large credit, so that
prior to 1803 he was enabled to purchase the estate
of Kilmaron, near Cupar-Fife, of which the modern
' Ceres Parish Register. ^ Ceres Parish Hegist-.T.
^ Fifeshire Register of Sasines. ■* Fifeshire Register of Sasiues.
'' St Andrews Town Council Reconis.
The House oj Gourlay. 35
rental was upwards of £3000.^ But Mr Gourlay failcl
in his agricultural adventures, and disposing of his
lands, he retired from public concerns. He died on
the 10th October 1S19 in his eightieth year.-
Oliver Gourlay married in 1774 Janet, only daughter
of Thomas Fleming, tenant in Nether Friarton ; she
died 10th October 1827 at the age of seventy-
three.^ Of the marriage were born two sons, Robert
Fleming and Thomas ; also five daughters, Catharine,
Barbara, Janet, Helen, and Margaret.*
Robert Fleming Gourlay, the elder son, was born on
the 24th March 1778.' After studying for several
sessions at the University of St Andrews, he began a
political career by printing a pamphlet on Reform, and
covertly distributing copies throughout the county.
As his opinions were extreme, and his mode of pro-
pagating them obnoxious, it was determined to charge
him with sedition. From this difficulty Mr Gourlay
made an escape by removing to England and there
renting a small farm at Deptford in Kent. Subsequently
emigrating to Canada, he there acquired a large tract
of land, on which he endeavoured to induce his country-
men to make settlements. On the resources of Canada
he published a work in three volumes ; also a number
of pamphlets. Returning from America, he made a
' Parliamentary Keturns — Lands and ' Tombstone Inscription in Ceres
Heritages, 1874. churchyard.
- Tombstone Inscription in Ceres ■* IHd.
churchyard. '^ Ceres Parish Register.
3t) The House of Goiirlay.
progress throughout Great Britain setting forth his
views on public affairs, more especially on emigration.
Having experienced some inattention at the hands of
Henry, afterwards Lord Brougham, he in the lobby of
the House of Commons attacked him with a horsewhip?,
an escapade which led to his being sent to prison.
During a long career he committed many other
extravagances ; but in private life he was generous,
humane, and circumspect. He died on the 1st August
1863, at the age of eighty-five. In the family burying-
ground at Ceres, he has been careful to denote his
descent from " Ingelramus Gourlay, who came from
England with Prince William about the year 1174."
Robert Fleming Gourlay was twice mai'ried, but his
race is extinct in the male line.
The House of Goiirlay. 37
Jfanulico at St an&rc\vcn
William Gourlay, one of the collectors of customs at
St Andrews, rendered his account on the 14th Juno
1403, also on the 8th July 1404, and on the 22d March
David Gourlay of Southfield, parish of Largo, died
on the 8th October 1627." By his second wife, Christian
Eamsay, he had two sons, Alexander and Robert.
Alexander, the elder son, succeeded his father
in the lands of Southfield, which, on the 29th July
1630, he sold to his brother Eobert.^ On the 13tli
June 1628, he, on a charter from Archbishop John
Spottiswood of St Andrews, had sasine of half the
lands of PolduflF, otherwise called Smiddiegreen, in
the lordship of Byrehills (Boarhills).* From Smiddie-
green he, prior to 1636, removed to the farm of
Lamboletham, which he took on lease/ On the 10th
June 1645 he had sasine of a tenement of land at
Alexander Gourlay married Susannah Jardine, by
whom he had three sons, Alexander, James, and David ;
also three daughters, Margaret, Marjory, and Janet.
1 KxchequerEolls, vol. iii., p. 571. ■* Fifeshire Register of Sasines, vol.
- .St Andrews Com. Register. vii., fol. 257.
' Rff'ister of Deeds, vol. 470. ^ St Andrews Parish Registej-.
^ Fifesliire Register of Sasines, vol. xv.
38 The House of Gourlay.
At the baptism of Alexander, the eklest son, on the
27th September 16'29, the Archdean of St Andrews
was a witness.'
To Thomas Gourlay, advocate in St Andrews, and
his wife, INIargaret Clephane, Sir Alexander Drummond
of Gibliston granted a bond for 500 merks ; it is dated
at St Aiidrews 5th November 1629."
On the 29th June 1649, David Gourlay, son and
heir of the late David Gourlay, citizen of St Andrews,
obtained sasine on a precept from Chancery, as heir
to his father, in nine acres and two roods of arable
land in the neighbourhood of the burgh.^
To Walter Gourlay and his wife, Bessie Watson, at
St Andrews, was baptized, on the 18th April 1628, a
son, Robert.* Robert settled as a trader in his
native city. He manned Margaret Dishart, by whom
he had three sons, William, James, and John.®
John, the third and youngest son, was baptized on
the 27th August 1667." Conducting business as a
manufacturer in St Andrews, he attained a measure of
opulence. By his wife, Agnes Miller, he had a son,
Robert Gourlay, son of John Gourlay and Agnes
Miller, was born on the 28th September 1707. Obtain-
ing a share of, and ultimately succeeding to, his father's
' St Andrews Parisli Register. * St Andrews Parish Register.
- Register of Deeds, vol. 498. ^ Ihid.
^ Fifeshire Register of Sasines, vol. xi., ^ Hid.
The House of Gourlay. 39
business, he was, prior to 1748, elected Deacon of his
craft. He also became clerk to the Kirk Session of St
Leonard's parish.' He died on the 18th February 1791
at the age of eighty-four. -
liobert Gourlay married Anna Brown, by whom he
had three sons, John, Robert, and Charles.* Robert,
second son, born 30th May 1751, settled in St Andrews
as a merchant, and was in 1792 elected Convener of the
Incorporated Trades.* He died at St Andrews on the
1st of September 1811 at the age of sixty.^ By his wife,
Agnes Liddell, he had six sons — Robert, John, Charles,
John Brown, Thomas, and James ; also two daughters."
Agnes Cree, elder daughter, born 29tli November
1786, married in 1807 Alexander Kay, with issue.
Anne, younger daughter, born 4th March 1796,
married Francis Hamilton, with issue.
Of the sons, Robert, born 18th January 1789, married
Janet Marshall, of Chapelton, Lanarkshire ; he died in
1852, without issue. John died in infancy. Charles,
born 1st December 1792, died in 1863 unmarried.
John Brown, born 12th September 1799, settled in
Glasgow, and there died in 1878. By his wife, Sarah
Langlands, who died in 1887, he had three sons and
four daughters — (1.) Robert, eldest son, born in 1825, is a
• St Andrews Parislx Register. ' St Andrews Parish Register.
2 St .\ndrews Deatlis' Register. On liis * Ibid.
tombstone in St Andrews churchyard, the ° St Andrews Deaths' Register. Tomb-
sculptor has erroneously described his stone Inscription.
age as fifty-four. ° St Andrews Parish Register.
40 The House of Gourlay.
merchant in Glasgow ; he married his cousin Agnes
Gourlay, with issue two sons, John, Ijorn 27th May
1867, and Eobert James, born 26th February 1873 ;
also four daughters, Jane, Sarah, Agnes (deceased), and
Annie : (2.) William, second son, born in 1827, settled in
London, married Margaret Finlay, without issue : (3.)
John, third son, born in 1836, is a chartered accountant
in Glasgow; he married Elizabeth Nash, only daughter of
the Rev. Andrew Murray, with issue seven sons — John
George, born in 1870, died in infancy ; Andrew JNIurray,
born in 1871; WiUiam Robert, born in 1874; Charles
Aikman, born in 1877 ; Henry, born in 1880 ; James
Nash, born in 1881 ; John Brown, born in 1884, died in
infancy ; also two daughters — Elizabeth Nasli, born in
1872, died in infancy ; and Sarah Langlands, born in 1876.
Of the four daughters of John Brown Goui'lay,
Margaret, born in 1829, and Sarah, born in 1834
are unmarried. Agnes, third daughter, born in 1838,
married Charles B. Aikman, solicitor in Glasgow,
without issue. Isabella, fourth daughter, born in 1842,
married Thomas Clark, Largs, with issue a son.
Thomas, fifth son of Robert Gourlay and Agnes
Liddell, born 16th October 1802, died young and
James, youngest son of Robert Gourlay, born at St
Andrews on the 3d June 1804, was one of the leading-
accountants in Gla.sgow. After retiring from business,
he in 1855 accepted an agency for the Bank of Scotland
at Laurieston in the same city. A magistrate of
The House of Gonrlay. 41
Glasgow, lie was a chief promoter of the Loch Katrine
Water Scheme. He died in May 1877. In 1830 he
married Jeanie Cleland (who died in September 1870),
with issue, one son and four daugliters.
Agnes, the eldest daughter, born 15th December
1833, married, in 1859, her cousin, Robert Gourlav,
Jane, second daughter, born in February 1836, died
ill 1886, unmarried.
Annie, third daughter, born 26th April 1838,
married, in 1861, Henry Shaw Macpherson, merchant
in Glasgow, with issue.
Helen, ft)urth and youngest daughter, born 6th April
1843, is unmarried.
Robert, only son of James Gourlay and Jeanie Cleland,
born 13th July 1840, is manager of the Bank of Scot-
land, Glasgow, and a magistrate of the County of
Lanark. He married in INLarch 1868, INIary Brown
Hastings Moffat, Gateside, Kirkconnel, Dumfriesshire,
Avho died 17th December 1877. Of the marriage
were born three sons: James, born 1869; Robert
Cleland, born 1871 ; Francis Nicholson Moffat, born
1872; also two daughters, Agnes Jessie and INIary
Moffiit, both of whom died in infancy.
FAMILIES IN LANARKSHIRE
STIRLINGSHIRE AND PERTHSHIRE
Jfaiiulice in lauavli^birc.
On the 19th July 157G, James VI. confiniied a charter
whereby, on the 3(1 May 1561, ]\Ir Arthur Hamilton,
provost of the Collegiate Church of Hamilton, granted
to Robert Gourlaw, familiar servitor of James, Duke of
Chatelherault, a tenement of land, with houses, hedges,
fruit-trees, etc., in the town of Hamilton, — also ten acres
of land in Hamilton-hauch, in the barony of Hamilton.'
William Gourlie, the eminent botanist, was born at
Glasgow in March 1815, and died on the 24th June
Robert Gourlaw, a native of Lanarkshire, was, on
the 31st March 1602, ordained minister of Tillicoultry;
he died in 1713.'
1 Register of Great Seal, xxxiv., 636. = Fasti Eccl. Scot., ii., 740.
46 The HoiLsc of Gourlay.
Jfamilics in StirlinoiJbii-c.
At Clackmannan, on the 13th June looO, Robert
Gourlay, provost of Stirling, rendered to the chamber-
lain his accounts for that burgh/
John Gourlay is, on the 28th February 1388-9, named
as a landowner at Stirling.^
At Perth, on the 20th March 14G5-6, John Gourla)%
one of the bailies of Stirling, rendered his account for
that burgh. ^
On the 25th September 1479, John Gourlay is named
as possessing lands at Stirling/
The late David Gurlay, owner of " two riggis," is
named in a charter subscribed at Stirling on the 7tli
On the 3d March 1642, a charter under the Great
Seal was granted to Eobert Gourlay in Patrickstown of
Lecky, in life-rent, and to Robert Gourlay, younger, his
son, of the lands of Offerance of Lecky, commonly
called Schyrgartoun, in the Stewartry of Menteith, on
the resignation of Alexander Lecky of that Ilk."
In the year 1666 Robert Gourlay of Little Kerse
is named ; also his wife Bethia, daughter of Walter
Graham of Meiklewood."
1 Exchequer Rolls, i., 266. * Stirling Burgli Records.
2 Stirling Burgli Charters, r- 23. ^ Stirling Burgh Charters, n\ 193, 194.
3 Exchequer Rolls, iii., 637. * Register of the Great Seal, Ivii., 13.
' Stirlingshire Com. l!eg., vol. vii.
Tlie House of Goiirlay. 47
On the 2d July 1G70, Robert Gourlay, eldest son of
Robert Gourlay of Little Kersc, called Sliirgarton, is
named in a sasine, with reference to the lands of Kip-
darroch in the parish of Gargunnock.^
On the IGth and 21st November 1768, David Gourlay
of Kijidarroch received a disposition of the lands ol
Easter and Wester Callichat.-
On the 9th May 1761, Mr James Gourlay, Preacher
of the Gospel, son of Archibald Gourlay of Birkhill,
near Stirling, granted a disposition of these lands
in favour of George Muschet, merchant, Stirling.^
Licensed by the Presbytery of Glasgow on the 2d
August 1758, he was ordained minister of Tillicoultry
on the 25th September 1765. In 1772 he demitted
his charge, and went to America/
Hugh Gourlay, licensed by the Presbytery of Stirling
on the 26th April 1760, was ordained minister of
Balfron on the 25th September of the same year. He
died on the 11th January 1787, aged fifty-five. He
married, first, Margaret Lauder ; secondly, 30th July
1782, Elizabeth Colquhoun, with issue.
' Stirlingshire Kegister of Sasines, 2d * Stirlingshire Register of Sasines, 2d
series, vol. iv., fol. 186. series, vol. xxiv., fol. 465.
- Ihid., vol. xxiii., fol. 175. * Fasti Eccl. Scot., ii., 741.
48 The House oj Gojirlay.
families in pcrtbebirc.
On the 19tli December 1521, John BlackadJer, fiar
of TuUiallan, and Mr Patrick Blaekadder, Arehdean of
Glasgow, granted a charter to Alexander Livingston
of Dunipace, and Alison Gourlay, his spouse, in life-
rent, and to INIr Alexander Livingston, their son,
heritably, of the lands of the Overtouu of TuUiallan.^
To a charter, granted on the 1st October 1527, by
Sir Andrew Murray of Balvaird, to the Abbey of
Cambuskenneth, of an annual-rent of fourteen merks,
from the lands of Arngrosk (Arngask), Alexander
Gourlay is a witness."
By the Regent Mary of Guise was, on the 7th
August 1546, confirmed a charter, whereby William,
Lord Crichtou of Sanquhar, granted to Thomas Gour-
law of Ballendene, the fourth part of Ballendene, in the
barony of Balledgarno, and shire of Perth. ^ On the 8th
June 1556, the Queen Regent confirmed a charter, in
which I'homas Gourlaw of Ballendene grants to Alex-
ander Gourlaw, his son, the fourth part of Ballendene.^
At Culross, on the 18th June 1620, Gilbert Gourlay
of Wester Gi'ange, in the Lordship of Culross, gave in
loan to John Gaw of Maw the sum of 3000 merks,
for which he received an annual-rent out of the lands
' Register of the Great Seal, xxii., 42. ^Register of the Great Sial, .xxix., 370.
- Register of Cambuskenneth, p. 38. ■* Ihid., xxx. , 491.
The House of Gourlay. 49
of Wester Eothe Wallis.^ On the 31st May 1637,
Gilbert Gourlay of Wester Grange received from
Andrew Brand, maltster-burgess of Culross, a bond
for two hundred marks.' In 1(346 Gilbert Gourlay of
Wester Grange was placed on the Committee of War
On the 28th April 1724, Archibald Gourlay received
a disposition from William Govan, of the lands of
Wester Carse of Boquhaple, in the parish of Kincar-
Robert Gourlay of Wester Boquhaple had, on the
12th February 1743, a charter of the lands of Brae in
' Register of Deeds, vol. 310. •< Register of tlie Great Seal, xc ,
^ Ibid., vol. 506. 122.
s Acta Pari. Scot., vol. vi., Pt. 1, y. 622. ^ y^^y^ xcvii., 288
FAMILIES IN THE
; i j A >
Jfamilics in tbe mortbcni Counties.
Henry de Gorlay was, on the 2.3th SeiDtember
1286, appointed on an inquest to inquire into the
boundaries of certain pasture lands in the barony
of Panmure/ And as Henry de Gorlay, knight,
he is put on a commission, appointed on the 14th
William de Gourlay de Balgally did homage to
Edward I. at Berwick in 1296.^
In 1328, William Gourlay is one of the witnesses to
a charter, whereby Walter de Schaklock granted to
Henry de Koss a third part of the lands of Inieney,
Sir John Gourlay, monk of Aberbrothock, is witness
to a citation by John of Eglyntoun, Prior of Blantyre,
dated at St Andrews, 28th January 1392; he is also
witness to a sentence of excommunication against
Robert, bishop of Dunkeld, on the 25th February
of the same year.-
' Haiieiaa Charter, 43, B. 9. tlianedom of Tannadice, the other in the
= Register of Aberbrothock, 383. parish of Monitieth (Jervise's "Angus
^Ragman Roll, 126; Prynne, 654; and Mearns," p. 313).
Palgrave, 196. There are two consider- * Register of Aberbrothock, 339.
able estates called Balgally, Balgillie, or ^ Register of Cambuskenueth, pp. 99,
Balgillo, in the County of Forfar, one 100, 105.
of which is situated within the jiarish and
64 The House of Goiirlay.
On the Gth November 1516, James Gurlay (Goiirlay)
rented from the Abbot of Cupar three acres and three
roods of land.' In 1558, William Gourlay was tenant
of Causey end, on the lauds of the Abbey. ^
On the 26th January 1600, William Gourlay,
described as portioner of Calseyend of Cupar, sold
to Charles Bell for ^2000, four acres of land at
At Dundee, on the 12th November 1602, Thomas
Gourlay of Dargo granted to Patrick Cadzow, portioner
at Litf, a bond for fifty- five marks.* Thomas Gourlay
is, in November 1613, named as meal-maker at
Invergowrie, in a bond granted by him for 5U0
In May 1628, Walter Gourlay, maltster-burgess of
Dundee, executed his Will. To his elder son, James,
he bequeathed a third part of his estate ; and he
provided legacies to his son John, and his daughters,
Margaret, Jean, and Catherine. His will was confirmed
at Brechin in June 1628, when his "free gear" was
estimated at £2886, 13s. 4d.'
James Gourlay, brother of Walter, died at Dundee
in February 1631 ; his testament-dative was given up
by Katherine Alexander, his relict, in name of Walter
Gourlay their son."
' Rental Book of Abbey of Cujiar, vol. ' Register of Deeds,
i., pp. 291, 292, 31-2. ^ Ibid.
= /itrf.,voI. ii.jpp. 74, 75, 170, 183, 213. ** Brechin Com. Register.
3 Register of Deeds. ' Ihid.
The House of Gourlay. 55
Patrick Gourlay in Bervie, died in INlay IG-lO, leaving
a son, Thomas/
In fortifying the place against the approach of
Cromwell, the Magistrates of Dundee removed a
tenement belonging to David Gourlay, a burgess, who,
failing to obtain compensation, presented a comjolaint
to Parliament. On the '23d June 1649, the Estates
ordained the ]\Iagistrates to pay to their petitioner
the sum of a thousand merks."
Patrick Gourlay, Town Clerk of Dundee, died in
January 1667, at the age of forty-seven. To his
memory was reared, in the burying-ground, a monu-
ment bearing a commendatory inscription, partly in
James Goui-lay, glover in Dundee, had a son William,
who, graduating at the University of St Andrews in
1736, was, in October 1742, licensed to preach. On
the 6th March 1752, he was ordained minister of Flisk,
Fifeshire. He died on the 16th October 17^0, at the
age of seventy. In the living of Flisk he was succeeded
by his son William, who died on the 2d ]\Iarch 1810,
at the age of sixty-one.*
John Gourlay, a native of Brechin, studied at King's
College, Aberdeen, and in July 1790 was ordained
assistant minister of Arbuthnot. He was translated
' Brechin Com. Register. ^ Monuments and Monumental Inscrip-
2 Acta Pari. Scot., vi., I'artii., p. 483. tions in Scotlaml, vol, ii., p. 215.
'■ Fasti Ecd. Scot., ii., 494.
56 The House of Gourlay.
to the parish of Lintrathen in 1813, and from thence
in 1819 to that of Cortachy. He died on the 27th
INIarch 1826. By his wife, Sarah Anne Hunter, he had
a son, WiUiam.^
On the 5th May 1540, in an account of money
belonging to the Cathedral of Aberdeen, there apj^ears
a balance of 6s. 8d., resting in the hands of Sir John
' Fasti Eccl. Scot., iii., 756, 767. - Chartulavy of Aberdeen.
Abep.crombie, Elizabeth, 19.
Aikmau, Charles B., 40.
Alan, Constable of Lammermoor, 10.
AlderstOD, bailie of the barony of, 19.
barony of, IS.
estate of, 18, 24.
lands of, 19, 20, 21.
John, of that ilk, 18.
Aldhall, mill of, 28.
Ale.xander II., 10, 17.
Anstruther, families at, 29.
Arbroath, Abbey of, 9.
Arngrosk (Arngask), lands of, 48.
Arthur's Oon, lands of, 18.
Auchtermarnie, lands of, 20.
Austin, William Edmund Craufnrd,
Elizabeth Page, 27.
General John, 27.
Susan Arbuthnot Craufnrd, 27.
B.iLFOUR, Elizabeth, 21.
Balhilly, lands of, 34.
Balinbreck, barony of, 20.
Baliol, Ingelram de, 9.
Balledgarno, barony of, 48.
Ballendene, lands of, 48.
B.altnllie, lands of, 33.
Bathstruth, lands of, 10.
Bean, James, 26.
Beaton, James, Archbishop of St
Beath, Barbara, 33.
Bedlay, family of, 25.
Bell, Charles, 54.
Bickerton, Sir Walter, daughter of, 18.
Blacater, Patrick, 31.
Black, Helen, 33.
Blackadder, John, 48.
Patrick, of DundalF, 20.
Jlr Patrick, Archdean of Glasgow,
Blair, Emily, 27.
Captain Frederick, 27.
Bonnybanks, lands of, 34.
Boquhaple, lands of Wester Carse of,
Borthwick, John, 21.
Bothwell, Adam, Bishop of Orknev
Brougham, Henry Lord, 36.
Brown, Anna, 39.
Bruce, Janet, 23.
King Robert the, 18.
Cadzow, Patrick, 54.
Callichat, Easter aud Wester, lands of,
Callow, Lieutenant William Charles,
Cambuskenneth, Abbey of, 48.
Caiironfiatt (Caponfiatt), 19, 21.
Carrick, Earl of, 11.
Carstares, Elizabeth, 33.
Ceres, families in, 33.
Charles I., 22.
Chartres, Sir Thomas de, 10.
Chatelherault, James, Duke of, 45.
Clark, Francis, 40.
Cleland, Jane, 41.
Clephane, Margaret, 38.
Cockburn, Helen, 20.
John, of Ormiston, 20.
CoUlingham, Monks of, 17.
Colquhoun, Elizabeth, 47.
Cortlandt, Catheriue, 26.
Colonel Philip Van, 26.
Craigrothie-Mill, lands of, 33, 34.
Crichtou, William, I^ord of Samjulmr,
Cromwell (Oliver), 55.
Cuik, Helen, 13.
Culross, lordship of, 48.
Cunningham, Marion, 32.
Cupar, Abbot of, 54.
Monks of, 10.
David II., 18.
Dishart, Margaret, 38.
Douglas, Captain Poden, 26.
Drummond, Sir Alexander, 38.
Duddingston, William, 22.
Dunbar, Earl of, 17.
Duudaff CDunduff), lauds of, 20, 31.
Dunfermline, Abbey of, 31.
family at, 30.
Duukeld, Robert, Bishop of, 53.
Dury (Durie), William, 31.
Dysart, families at, 29.
Edmond, William, 32.
Edward I., 10, 11, 53.
Eglyntoun, John of, 53.
Elie, families at, 29.
Elryk Myrick in Baluagowan, 13.
Falkland, families at, 28.
Fifeshire, families in, 17.
Findlay, Margaret, 40.
Fleming, Janet, 35.
Forbes, Margaret, 24.
Forniau, Janet, 20, 21.
Gaw, John, of Maw, 48.
Gaytmilk (Goatmilk), lands of,
Glen, Alexander, 14.
Gordonshall, lands of, 21.
Govan, William, 49.
Gourlay, Adam de, 10.
Agnes Cree, 39.
Agnes, 40, 41.
Agnes Jessie, 41.
Alan de, 10.
Gourlay, Alexander, IS, 19, 20, 21, 37,
Andrew Murray, 40
■ Anne, 39.
Archibald, 32, 47, 49.
Catherine, 26, 27, 35, 54.
Charles Aikraan, 40.
Darid, 13, 33, 37, 38, 46, 47
Elizabeth Nash, 40.
Francis Nicholson Moffat, 41.
George, 25, 26, 30, 32.
Gilbert, 14, 48, 49.
Helen, 24, 25, 28, 35, 41.
Henry de, 53.
Hugh de, 17.
Hugh, 17, 47.
Ingelram (Ingeram, lugelramus)
de, 9, 10, 17, 36.
James, 14, 28, 31, 37, 38, 39, 40,
41, 54, 55.
James Nash, 40.
Jane, 23, 40, 41.
Janet, 22, 25, 31, 35, 37.
Jean (Jeanne), 14, 25, 31, 54.
Jean Plenderleath, 27.
John de, 11.
John, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 23,
25, 26, 28, 32, 33, 38, 39, 40, 46,
Sir John, 53.
John Brown, 39, 40.
Gourlay, John George, 40.
Margaret, 20, 23, 24, 25, 26, 33,
35, 37, 40, 54.
T.ady Margaret of Torry, 31.
JIary Anne, 25.
Mary Bean, 27.
Mary Moffat, 41.
Oliver, 33, 34, 35.
Patrick, 11, 14, 55.
Robert, 12, 13, 29, 33, 37, 33,
39, 40, 41, 45, 46, 47, 49.
Robert Cleland, 41.
Robert Fleming, 35, 36.
Robert James, 40.
Sarah Langlands, 40.
Simon (Symon) de, 11, 18.
Thomas, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28,
29, 31, 33, 35, 38, 39, 40, 48, 54,'
Sir Thomas, knight, 23.
Walter, 28, 29, 38, 54.
William, 9, 12, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22,
24, 25, 26, 27, 32, 33, 37, 38, 40, 45^
53, 54, 55, 56.
William de, 10, 17, 18, 53.
William Robert, 40.
Graham, Bethia, 46.
Gurla (Gourlay), Sir John, 56.
Gurlay (Gourlay), Hughde, 11.
Gurle Matthew de, 10.
Gurleghe Patrick, 11.
Gurley Hugh de, 9, 17.
Guise, Mary of (Regent), 48.
Hallingshaw, lands of, 10.
Hamilton, Mr Arthur, 45.
■ town and barony of, 45.
Harrison, Anna Maria Margaret Cath-
erine (Kathleen), 27.
■ Beatrice, 27.
Lieutenant Gilbert Eliot, 27.
■ Rachel, 27.
Rev. William Gorst, 27.
Hassendenebank, lands of, 14.
Hauch, lands of, 29.
Heriot, Walter, 29.
Holyrood Abbey, 12.
Abbey, church of, 12.
Abbey, Commendator of, 12.
Hope, Sir John, 33.
Hunter, Sarah Anne, 56.
lNiF,>fEY, lands of, 53.
Inneraven in Fife, 14.
lunergelly, lands of, 19.
Innerwic, church of, 17.
J.AMES II., 19.
v., 12, 23.
VI., 21, 45.
the Steward of Scotland, 11.
Jardine, Susmuah, 37.
Katill (Kettle), lands of, 2S.
Kay, Ale.xander, 39.
Keithock, lands of, 54.
Kellie, Janet, 21.
Kelty, lands of, 31.
Kemp, Rev. Hew, 24.
Kennochy (Keniioway), territory ol, 20.
Ker, , of Cavers, 52.
Kilconquhar, churchyard of, 26.
Killoraik of Kinghorn, lands of,
Kilmaron, lands of, 34.
Kincraig, b.arony of, 18, 21, 24, 26.
Gourlay of, 17.
laird of, 30.
lands of, 20, 21.
Kinghorn, Wester and Easter, the
boundaries of, 19.
family at, 32.
King's Kettle, families at, 28.
lands of, 29.
Kipdarrocli, lands of, 47.
Kirkland, lands of, 33.
Kynuynmonth, Andrew, 29.
Lambekton, William de, 11.
Lanarkshire, families in, 45.
Langlands, Sarah, 39.
Largo, families at, 28.
Lathallan, lands of, 23.
Lauder, , of Balcomie, 19.
Lecky, Alexander, 46.
Lentrone, James, 23.
Leslie, Sir Norman, 19.
Leslie, Sir David of, 19, 20.
Lessells, Jean, 25, 26.
Liddell, Agnes, 30, 40.
Livingston, Alexander, 4S.
Lockhart, Allan, 14.
Lummisdain, Isobel, 28.
Lundy, William, 21.
Lundyn, mill of, 10.
Lygerwood, church of, 17.
Macgill, James, 22.
Mackintosh, James, 27.
Macpherson, Henry Shaw, 41.
Malheive, Hew of, 10.
Marshall, Jauet, 39.
Medo-end, lands of, 31.
Melrose, church of, 10.
Menteith, lands of Brae of, 49.
Stewartry of, 46.
Miller, Agnes, 38.
Moffat, Mary Brown Hastings, 41.
Monypenny, , of Pitmilly, 20.
Mortoun, Tliomas, 33.
Murray, Rev. Andrew, 40.
Sir Andrew, of Balvaird, 48.
Elizabeth Nash, 40.
Muschet, George, 47.
NEWBificrNG, lands of, 34.
Newbottle, monastery of, 17.
Newlands, lands of, 31.
Newton- Leys, lands of, 34.
Northern Counties, families in the
Offer.ince of Lecky or Schyrgartoun,
lands of, 46.
Oswald, John, 14.
Panmure, barony of, 53.
Paterson, Barbara, 21, 22.
Peebles, Robert, Chamberlain of Scot-
Perthshire, families in, 48.
Pethdales, lands of, 21.
Pittillok, Christian, 29.
Plenderleath, David, 26.
Plewlands, lands of, 19, 21.
Polduff, lands of, 37.
Primrose, Marion, 13.
Ram.say, Christian, 37.
Reddercraig, lands of, 20.
Raid, Captain, 25.
Rires, Newton, 28.
Robert L, 11.
Robertson, Margaret, 25.
Ross of Milnetor, lands of, 10.
Ross, Henry de, 53.
Thomas de, 10.
Rossyth, barony of, 31.
liowhvood, lands of, 14.
St ANDREW.S, Arclibishop of (John
St Andrews, Archdean of (Robert), 31.
• Archdean of, 38.
Bishoii of (James), 19.
Bishop of (William), 17.
families at, 37.
Schaklock, Walter de, 53.
Scoonie, families at, 27.
Scotstarvet, the Mains of, 34.
Scott, Janet, 21.
Dr John, 25.
. ■ Thomas, 21.
Seton, George, 25.
Sharp, Margaret, 23.
Smiddiegreen, lands of, 37.
Soulis, William de, 11.
South Ferry, lands of Over Grange of,
Southfield, lands of, 37.
Spens, Nathaniel, 23.
Thomas, 23, 24.
Stanton, Rector of, 27.
Stewart, Henry, 31.
Sir Walter, 30.
Stirlingshire, families in, 46.
Stratoun, David, 12.
Sutton Grange in Yorkshire, 9.
Sybald, son of Walter, 10.
Tait, Dr, 25.
Tulliallan, lands of Overtoun of,
Turnbull, William, 14.
UcHTiRMAiRNiE, lands of, 20.
Umfraville, Sir Ingelram de, 11.
William dc, 11.
Wallis, lands of Wester Rothe, 49.
Watson, Bessie, 38.
Wemyss, families at, 29.
William the Lion, 9.
Wilton, the barony of, 10.
Pnnkdbij M'Faelane & Er.skine, Edinburgh.
•f . ■'}