Skip to main content

Full text of "My trip to California in '49,"

See other formats

My Trip to California in 



The memory of three sweet names; Hallie, 
Maggie and Daisy, once the joy of a fond 
father's heart, now adopted in the language 
of the angels, this little sketch of my trip to 
California in '49 is affectionately dedicated. 
March 14, 1914. 


One of Louisiana's Best Known Citi- 
zensA Brief Sketch of His 

During a period ol r thirty years 
from 1853 until 1883, the city of Lou- 
isiana was blessed with many repre- 
sentative citizens who contributed to 
her growth and development, but 
none were more truly representative 
of the time, than the subject of this 
sketch, James E. Carstarphen. 

He was one of the best known citi- 
zens within her border known as a 
friend of every man and of every 
worthy enterprise. 

Beginning his career in this city as 
merchant, then as bank cashier for 
over twenty-five years, he came to be 
known by everybody, and was inter- 
ested in almost every movement that 
had for its object the advancement of 
the city, whether commercially, edu- 
cationally, socially or religiously. His 
friends relied upon him as the sup- 
porter of every good cause. As Major 
Wm. Warner would say: "He stood 
up for Louisiana," on all occasions 

and in every assembly. As cashier 
of the only bank in the city at that 
time, he was personally known to 
everybody, and was counted on for a 
contribution to every cause that had 
for its object the uDlifting of human- 
ity and the advancement of knowl- 
edge among the people. His contri- 
butions were cheerfully and liberally 
made to all. When the poor and un- 
fortunate appealed to him for aid like 
Goldsmith's Village Pastor, "his pity 
gave 'ere charity began". 

He was a man of remarkably cheer- 
ful disposition at home and elsewhere, 
and at the same time strictly business 
in his habits. To such an extent did 
this cheerful, pleasant manner with 
everyone prevail, that scores perhaps 
hundreds addressed him familiarly as 
"Mr. Cass". He was kknown among 
the younger class, as a friend of 
every young man who was trying to 
make a success of life. The writer 
remembers him in this regard more 
than forty years ago, with a feeling 
that is akin to affection. His cheer- 
fulness is illustrated by his reply to 
his wife one day as he was leaving 
home for the bank: "Mr. Carstarphen" 
said she, "straighten up, keep that 
left shoulder up with the other". 

"Now Bee, don't you know that was 
caused by my carrying a hod when I 
was a young man?" That was the 
end of the argument, and they parted 
with a smile. 

A Bit of Autobiography. 

James E. Carstarphen was born 
January 22, 1828, in Rails county, 
Missouri, near New London. When he 
was six years old his father, Chapell 
Carstarphen, was elected sheriff of 
Rails county and moved to New Lon- 
don, the county seat, where James E. 
made his first start in school under 
the guidance and instruction of Sam'l. 
K. CaldweU, as his first teacher. 
(Mention of this name recalls the fact 
that in 1818, Samuel K. Caldwell as- 
sisted by Joel K. Shaw, had laid out 
the town of Louisiana.) At the end 
of three years, or in 1837, his father 
moved back to his farm, one mile east 
of Trabue's Lick, where James E. was 
reared on the farm accustomed to all 
kinds of farm work till he was fif- 
teen years old, and where he attend- 
ed the district school near Judge Pore- 

man's, three months in each winter 
during that time. In 1843, his father 
sold that farm and bought the Wil- 
son farm, three miles west of New 
London and moved to it. Here James 
E. lived with his parents until he was 
twenty-one years of age. Part of the 
time was spent in teaching a district 
school, three months of each winter, 
and in working on the farm during 
cropping season, until the spring of 

1848, when he went to Galena, 111., and 
spent the summer of that year pros- 
pecting in that region for lead mines. 
In the fall of that year he returned 
to his father's home in Rails county, 
Missouri, and taught a three months' 
winter school. 

About this time, great excitement 
broke out all over the country, over 
the news of the discovery of gold at 
Gutter's Mill in California. People 
from almost everywhere in the middle 
and western states were making great 
preparations to start in the spring of 
1849 to the rich gold fields of Cali- 
fornia. They were outfitting all kinds 
of conveyances, and going in almost 
every conceivable vay imaginable. 
Hundreds, yea, thousands went with 
ox teams, and quite as many with mule 
teams, and horse teams, and on pack 
mules and horses. 

James E. Carstarphen being twenty- 
one years old on the 22d of January, 

1849, thought he was a fit subject and 
of proper age to make the trip. And 
he fell into line early in the excite- 

He at once communicated with his 
older brother, Robert Carstarphen, 
who was then in Wisconsin, who had 
already made his arrangements to go 
west from that state, but on learning 
that it was the intention of James E. 
and his cousin, John M. Kelley, then 
of Rails county, Mo., to start early, 
he came at once, and joined them in 
fitting -out for the trip, with, a splen- 
did ox team, and the trio started on 
the llth day of April, 1849, in company 
with twelve others, with their four 
wagons and ox teams, from New Lon- 
don via St. Joseph, Mo., to the Sutter 
Gold Fields; 

The train, with five wagons, con- 
sisted in part of James E. Carstar- 
phen, his brother, Robert B. Carstar- 
phen, and his cousin, John M. Kelley; 

Thomas, John and Humphrey Hil- 
dreth; Felix and Russell Smith; Wil- 
liam Jackson, James Henry Hawkins, 
Richard Johnson and others, fifteen 
in all. (They were known as the Salt 
River Tigers, said a friend.) They 
drove across the state following the 
old trail to St. Joseph, Mo. where 
they loaded their wagons with pro- 
visions, such as flour, coffee, sugar, 
bacon, tobacco, etc., and other neces- 
sary articles for the long trip. 

They crossed the Missouri river on 
May 1, at St. Joseph, Mo., and drove 
out to the Bluffs and Waited one week 
for a sufficiency of grass to sustain 
their teams. On the 7th day of Maj r 
they broke camp and started on their 
long and perilous journey, a distance 
of over two thousand miles, to Sac- 
ramento City, California, which they 
reached on the 5th day of September, 
never stopping more than one night 
on the same camping ground. This 
they found to be a long and tiresome 
trip; seldom finding anything more 
than a trail for a road; and never 
passing a house, or any sign of civi- 
lized habitation, except two forts, viz: 
Fort Laramie and Fort Hall, where 
U. S. government soldiers were kept 
to regulate and keep the Indians in 

"Our train took the northern route 
via Fort Hall, hence we passed away 
north of Salt Lake City, where a small 
settlement of Mormons resided at that 
time. We met large herds of wild buf- 
faloes on the western prairie and we 
encountered much difficulty in cross- 
ing large streams. We overcame 
these difficulties in part by dismant- 
ling our wagons, takinig them entire- 
ly apart, and making boats of the 
wagon beds into which we put some 
of our stock and all our provisions 
and rowed them across the rivers. 
The rest of our teams were made to 
swim .across, or driven up the river 
and crossed where the water was 

"I may relate a little experience our 
men had when passing over a very 
steep mountain. We had reached the 
top of the mountain and were looking 
down into the valley b^vond. How to 
descend that steep western slope was 
the question. We ddcided to unhook 
all but one yoke of oxen from each 
wagon and to tie the biggest rope we 

had to the hind axle and wrap the 
rope around a tree, and with sev- 
eral men holding the rope, let the 
wagon down gradually. Ah, but we 
were glad when we all got safely down 
that mountain. 

We went to mining at Deer Creek, 
now in the state of Nevada, using 
crude cradles for separating the gold 
from th dirt such as were used in 
the placer mines. This netted us a 
3 r ield of about sixty dollars a day on 
an average, in gold nuggets. We un- 
covered one gravel pit which for a 
short time yielded a return of about 
one thousand dollars of gold a da>. 
Our party worked at the mines for 
about one year, and netted about five 
thousand dollars each. We then de- 
cided to return home. We arrived at 
San Francisco in October, 1851, and 
purchased steamship tickets to return 
by way of Panama." 

In the previous chapter Mr. Car- 
starphen has briefly told the story of 
his trip across the plains to Califor- 
nia in 1849, and now he will give his 
account of his return home. Thus, 
we get the facts, without embellish- 
ment or exaggeration, and we also 
hear the story at first hand. 

"Having been successful in the fif- 
teen months we spent in the mines in 
the mountains, five of us decided to 
leave the 'diggings,' and return home, 
not by the long, hard and monotonous 
route we had come, but by steamship 
from San Francisco. All kinds of 
people were flocking in from every- 
where and we were unwilling to risk 
losing what we had gained, by re- 
maining longer away from civilization. 
Besides, provisions, tools and every- 
thing we used could be had only for 
fabulous prices. Potatoes were a dol- 
lar a pound; eggs, 50 cents each; a 
pair of boots, $100; a Colt's revolver, 
regarded as a very necessary article 
by a majority of miners, sold for 
$150; lumber was $500 per thousand 
feet. etc. 

"We arrived in San Francisco in 
November, 1850, and all bought tickets 
to Panama City, on the morning we 
arrived. The ship was to sail in three 
days. The first night we spent in San 
Francisco, awaiting the sailing of the 
ship, three out of our party of five, 
took the cholera (we had run into that 
disease on our way from the mines). 
My brother, Robert, died before morn- 

ing. Richard Davis died within two 
days afterward, and James E. Car- 
starphen lingered for five days between 
life and death, and recovered. He was 
very stout and rugged and simply 
wore the disease out, with the aid of 
homeopathic treatment. The three 
survivors, viz: J. M. Kelley, John H. 
Davis and James E. Carstarphen, ex- 
changed tickets and a week later, took 
the next steamer for the City of Pan- 
ama, and on our arrival there packed 
up our bedding and gold of which each 
man had from three to five thousand 
dollars, hired, a man with a pack- 
horse to assist us, and set out on foot 
to cross the Isthmus for Colon, fol- 
lowing the trail which is now the site 
of the Panama canal, making the last 
part of it, however, in skiffs down the 
Chagres river, where we took ship- 
ing for New Orleans by way of Ha- 
vana, Cuba, bancroft Libnfff 

We were compelled to carry crar 
gold in the form of nuggets and dust 
in buckskin sacks until we could ex- 
change it for coin or currency at eith- 
er New Orleans or St. 'Louis. From 
New Orleans we took the old steamer 
City of Alexandria to St. Louis, arriv- 
ing there eight days later. At St. 
Louis we sold our gold at the old 
banking house of Page and Bacon, at 
sixteen dollars an ounce and took 
steamer for Hannibal and the next 
day by stage coach to New London, 
arriving home just before Christmas, 
1851, having been absent about twen- 
ty-one months. 

"At this date, December 1, 1913, Jas. 
E. Carstarphen is the only member 
of that party of fifteen who started 
April 11, 1849, from New London on 
that trip, who is still living." 

From that date, Dec. 25, 1851, Mr. 
Carstarphen has led a very active life. 
In the spring of 1851, he bought a 
farm in Rails county, adjoining the 
Helm's farm, four miles southwest of 
New London, on which he made im- 
provements and sold it at a nice profit. 
He then, in company with his uncle, 
Mr. Briggs, bought 200 head of cat- 
tle, took them to Sangamon county, 
111., grazed and wintered them there, 
and sold them. He then bought cheap 
Illinois land and did well with it. He 
came back to Missouri and settled at 
Louisiana, in 1853, and embarked in 
several enterprises. He was first in 
the dry goods business with John S. 

Melon for one year. He sold that and 
went into the stove, tin and iron busi- 
ness with Rufus B. Saffarans. They 
purchased vacant ground on the north- 
west corner of Third and Georgia 
streets and built four two-story brick 
store houses for rent. He then sold 
his interest in the stove and iron store 
and took a position as clerk in the 
newly organized branch of the Bank 
of the State of Missouri, located at 
Louisiana, Mo. This position he held 
for three years, at which time he was 
elected cashier and held that position 
until 1882. During these years Mr. 
Carstari'hen was active in many en- 
terprises of the city of Louisiana. He 
was a member of the firm of Rule & 
Co. in the flouring mill, which they 
purchased of S. W. Farber and com- 
pany. He was engaged with Judge 
Win. C. Orr and Conrad Smith in the 
contract of building the court house 
in Bowling Green in 1867. He was 
one of the incorporators and first di- 
rectors of the Louisiana and Missouri 
River R. R. company, and one of the 
directors of the Louisiana and Mis- 
souri R. R. Bridge company at Lou- 
isiana, also a director in the board 
of education for several years. 

On February 1, 1854, he was mar- 
ried to Miss Bellina Jackson, young- 
est daughter of Julius C. and Harriet 
M. Jackson, at Louisiana, Mo. Six 
children blessed their happy union. 
These were Hattie, George B., Mar- 
garet, Fannie, Daisy and James E., all 
of whom except James, lived to be 
grown and married. 

Hallie married Mr. W. G. Tinsley, 
a well-known Louisiana banker; Mar- 
garet married Hon. Richard B. Speed 
of Nevada, Mo., an editor and news- 
paper publisher, and a noble good 
man; Fannie married Mr. William 
Brady of Denver, Colo.; Daisy, the 
youngest, married Mr. James E. At- 
kinson of Nevada, Mo. George is well 
known in Missouri, having held many 
positions of trust in the state admin- 
istration. He was bank examiner for 
four years. Was assistant coal oil 
inspector, under Governor Stephens. 
About six years ago he went to Del 
Rio, Texas, where he is prospering 
in the general dry goods business. He 
also owns a ranch of good propor- 
tions in that county. Mrs. Fannie 
Brady is a successful Christian Sci- 
ence practitioner in Kansas City, Mo. 

She accompanied her father to Los 
Angeles in the early summer of this 
year (1913) and tried to induce him 
to settle down there and grow up with 
the country. 

In 1880, Mr. Carstarphen's wife died 
in Denver, Colo., and was buried in 
the Jackson family cemetery, near 
Louisiana, in the autumn of that year. 
They were very much devoted to each 
other during their married life and 
he has rarely, if ever, failed to make 
a special trip once or twice a year 
to look after her grave and to place 
fresh flowers upon it and upon the 
graves of his deceased children. 

In 1882, Mr. Carstarphen married a 
sister of Judge D. P. Dyer of the St. 
Louis federal court. Of this happj 
union no children were 1 born. 

It was soon after this, in 1883, thai 
he entered the customs service in St. 
Louis, as inspector of customs. The 
custom house was then at Third and 
Olive streets, but in September of that 
year it moved into the new building 
at Ninth and Olive streets. He has 
since served continuously in that de- 
partment for over thirty years, being 
most of the time in charge of the 
cigar department, one of the most im- 
portant in the customs service. 

Hon. John J. O'Conner, chief in- 
spector of customs, at the port of St. 
Louis, says: "Mr. Carstarphen was 
at all times, during the period of his 
service in this office, a thoroughly 
reliable and faithful official. He never 
tried to shirk anything, and was al- 
ways ready to assist others in their 
work." Continuing be says: "He was 
a man of most exemplary habits; al- 
ways the thorough, polished gentle- 
man. He never smoked nor chewed 
tobacco, cursed or used vulgar lan- 
guage. He was not known to be af- 
filiated with any particular church 
organization in the city, but he never 
failed to attend religious services at 
some church on Sundays. 

"In recent years he usually attended 
the Christian Science churches in St. 

He was a tall, handsome man of 
graceful carriage and he never lost 
that personal charm of character 
which endeared him to all who knew 
hirr. He was a special favorite at 
the custom house, where his pleasant 
and genial manner endeared him to 
his fellow-employes. 

On occasions he would hum old re- 
ligious songs of his childhood days : 
and the music of his voice was as 
sweet and clear as the sound of a sil- 
ver bell. He was never known to be 
angry; and none had the temerity 
to be profane in his presence. On his 
birthday, the 22nd of January last, he 
was remembered by his associates 
presenting him 'with their greeting 
and a huge bouquet of flowers, and 
on his leaving for California in June, 
on his vacation, he was presented with 
a handsome "grip" with the best 
wishes of his companions. He is now 
in Del Rio, Texas, with his son, 
George, but his desk at the custom 
house still awaits him, and it is con- 
sidered a favor to be permitted to use 
his desk and chair. It is the earnest 
wish of his fellow employes that he 
may be able to return to his office and 
that they may enjoy many more years 
of his association." 

Early in May, 1880, Mr. Carstarpheri 
left his home in this city in company 
with his wife, Mrs. Bellina J. Carstar- 
phen for Colorado to try the invigor- 
ating air of that climate in the hope 
of restoring her health, then rapidly 
failing. The change proved unavail- 
ing and in one short month she passed 
away, in the noontide of life in her 
forty-eighth year. She had sustained 
and honored the relations of daugh- 
ter, wife, mother, sister, neighbor and 
friend. She had filled well her sphere 
in life as a sincere and consistent 
Christian. For thirty years she filled 
her seat in church and Sunday school 
and encouraged her Christian friends 
by her example of piety, humility and 
practical benevolence. Her hand was 
ever open to the cry of distress, her 
heart to the wants of all the poor. 
She delighted in the study of the 
Bible. One could not listen to her 
pure and heavenly conversation with- 
out feeling deeply impressed with the 
obligations of Christianity. Her death 
was a severe affliction to this con- 
gregation. She was greatly useful in 
the church, nor was any more beloved. 
This was attested by the long proces- 
sion that followed her remains to 
their last resting place the longest 
funeral procession in the history of 
Louisiana. All mourned her as a 
friend. Bro. E. D. Pearson, who con- 
ducted the services, said: "As an ac- 
tive, earnest faithful worker in the 

cause of religian, we shall not, per- 
haps, see her like again, in this gen- 

A beautiful pen picture of the life 
and character of our subject is given 
by Hon. John J. O'Conner in the pre- 
vious chapter. The writer would call 
attention to two or three traits of 
character that deserve special men- 
tion. These shone out in the days 
of his greatest usefulness and activi- 
ty in this city. He proved himself 
to be a many sided man, capable of 
filling many positions at the same 

As a public-spirited man a leader 
in this respect, he led out in almost 
every enterprise that helped to de- 
velop and adorn Pike county. And 
yet he looked well to the interest of 
his own family. Many public spirit- 
ed men forget their families in their 
eagerness to serve the public. 

The Carstarphen mansion erected in 
1868 and '69, in this city, like Zion of 
old, was beautiful for situation. Built 
on a high and beautiful tract of ten 
or fifteen acres, surrounded by ter- 
races, shaded by native forest trees, 
it was easily the most attractive 
building in this city. It was known 
as the "Carstarphen Castle." 

Not the mere love of display 
prompted the outlay of almost $25,000 
in its erection, but a dejire for tbe 
comfort, convenience and happiness of 
his family. Here were the very latest 
city improvements hot-air furnaces, 
stationary washstands, private water 
power and sewerage, advantages en- 
joyed by people who live in the city, 
and such as were rarely found out- 
side the metropolis. It stood for sev- 
en years as a monument of his genius 
and ambition. A fire broke out in the 
middle of the night, late in September, 
' 1875, and before assistance could 
reach the spot, the building was a 
wreck; the tottering walls were all 
that remained on the morrow, of that 
splendid edifice. This was a great 
loss, not only to the owner, but to 
the city of Louisiana, and caused a 
feeling of universal regret through- 
out this community. 

He was an active promoter of the 
public school system, in this city. 

In the summer of 1869 he often vis- 
ited the site of the "J. Sam< Brown 
School", while that building was un- 

der construction. His presence en- 
couraged the builders; he was treas- 
urer of the board and ex-officio super- 
visor of construction. 

His eminent fitness for the position 
of school director was shown in 1875, 
when a new principal was to be chos- 
en. Mr. O. C. Bryson and a friend 
introduced to him a former college- 
mate from Kentucky, stating that the 
young Kentuckian was an applicant 
for that position. On the next day 
Mr. Carstarphen called to one of the 
gentlemen, saying "Your friend stands 
a good show of being elected princi- 
pal. I think he would make a capital 
teacher. Did you notice how close his 
hair grows to his head? That's a 
sign of a good school teacher. He'd 
flog the tallest boy In school if he 
didn't toe the mark and obey the rules. 
He's as ambitious as Julius Caesar, 
and I don't think it would be six 
weeks before he'd have every boy in 
his room striving for the highest 
mark in his classes." The young man 
was employed, taught the session 
through and on the closing day of the 
session addressed the school, conclud- 
ing with these words: "Whether you 
take Horace Greeley's advice to go 
west, or stay at home, I hope you will 
all use the knowledge you have gained 
here and make your mark in the 
world as useful and honorable citi- 
zens, and finally, that we may all 
meet up yonder in Congress Hall." 

"He taught them," said Judge W. C. 
Orr, "to aspire to a seat in congress 
above all other earthly vocations. To 
be ambitious to serve the people and 
their country." Mr. Carstarphen's 
prediction proved literally true. The 
ambitious teacher had inoculated the 
entire class. "Our" Champ's ambi- 
tion was contagious. 

Mr. Carstarphen was known as 
an active worker in the church of his 
choice. He was accustomed to say 
to the deacons, "Put me down for one- 
tenth of the entire expense of the 
church annually." The result of his 
proposition and his example of con- 
tributing weekly was that others fell 
into line and soon the whole congre- 
gation was working in harmony. 

As an illustration of his many du- 
ties, and the successful manner in 
which he met all of them. T mention 
one day's work of his in 1869, with 

the details of which this writer was 
familiar. He met the directors of his 
bank at 9 o'clock; later, the directors 
of the gravel road company, and still 
later some of the directors of the Lou- 
isiana & Missouri River R. R. ; and 
after supper the school board and 
went home and played blind man's 
buff with his children till bed time. 
When his name was announced in 
connection with the office of treasurer 
of the State of Missouri in 1878, an 
enthusiastic delegation was sent from 
Pike county to the convention favoring 
his nomination. 

Wise in Counsel. 

An instance illustrating Mr. Car- 
saarphen's foresight and business cau- 
men. It was in the summer of 1869. 
This city, to use a modern phrase, 
was on a boom ; two railroads were 
being put through connecting us with 
the east and west, and the north and 
south; the Mississippi was being 
spanned by a steel bridge. There 
was great commercial activity as well 
as educational. The J. Sam Brown 
school building was about finished; 
Baptist college was flourishing with 
J. T. Williams as president with a 
full corps of teachers. William 
Christian, president of Troy Institute 
conceived the idea of making Louisi- 
ana an education center of Northeast 
Missouri With a view of locating in- 
this city he came here in July, 1869, 
and made a survsy of the field. After 
looking at Jackson grove as a suitable 
site he had about decided to purchase 
the two story frame building on Sev- 
enth street, one block north of Geor- 
gia street, in which Prof. Parker, at 
one time state superintendent of 
schools, had formerly taught. Now, 
said his friend, O. C. Bryson, let us 
go to Mr. Carstarphen and hear his 
advice on the subject. They went and 
Mr. Carstarphen heard Prof. Wm. 
Christian through as he stated his 
reasons for his contemplated change. 
Then turning to him in a friendly 
manner, but in words that Christian 
never forgot, said: I will be very 
glad to welcome you to our city as a 
citizen, and will do all I can to help 
you. But if you expect to make a 
financial success of this enterprise 
your private institution of learning 
I can tell you in advance that you 

will be doomed to disappointment, be- 
cause our public schools are going to 
swallow up every private enterprise. 
It is only a question of a few years 
when they will put Baptist college 
out of commission, because they are 
the "People's College". The best 
teachers that the country affords will 
be installed in our public school, and 
every equipment necessary to the 
teaching of all the branches in high 
schools. The people support the pub- 
lic schools and they will patronize 
them in preference to nrivate schools. 

Come on and become a citizen with 
us and perhaps you may be chosen 
as one of our teachers." 

This interview settled the question 
with Prof. Wm. Christian and he left 
that afternoon for his hoir.e at New 
London. He had been encouraged by 
his friends in this city and at home to 
locate here and had received a flat- 
tering invitation to do so. In Mr. 
Carstarphen he recognized a saga- 
cious, f&rseeing business man and ac- 
cepted bis advice as against all oth- 
ers. Meeting him a few years after- 
ward in St. Louis, he remarked, Car- 
starphen is a long-headed man. He 
saved ire from financial loss. His 
prediction in regard to the public 
school proved true to the letter. 

Mr. Carstarphen was instrumental 
in securing for the Louisiana public 
schools such men as Prof. G. L. Os- 
borne, Prof. H. M. Hamil, Prof. J. M. 
White, and Prof. J. I. Nelson, all of 
whom stood in the front rank of pub- 
lic school work. 

His Genealogy. 

"I am the son of Chappel Evans Car- 
starphen, who was born in December, 
1798, in the northern part of South 
Carolina, and died in June, 1876, at 
Hannibal, Mo. He was married in 1825 
to Miss Margaret Brings, who was 
born in 1803, near Frankfort, 
Kentucky, and died in 1871, at Han- 
nibal, Mo. She was tbe daughter of 
Robert Briggs. Chappell Carstarphen 
was a farmer by occupation, a whig 
in politics, and a Baptist in religion. 
He resided near New London most of 
his life, and in Hannibal for a few 
years previous to his death, at the 
home of his son, William P. Carstar- 
pben, a druggist in Hannibal. 

Children of Chappel E. Carstarphen. 

1. Robert Briggs, born in 1826; 
died in California. 

2. Eula, born January 22, 

3. John C., born in 1830, married 
Juliet Owens. 

4. Wljlliam Price, born in 1832, 
married Sarah Brown. 

5. Richard C., born in 1834, died in 

6. Benjamin Franklin, born in 1836, 
died in youth. 

7. Sarah Jane, born in 1838, mar- 
ried Wm. Wellman. 

8. Elizabeth, born in 1845, mar- 
ried Dr. John Lanius. 

9. Oney, born in 1847, married 
Muggy Kem, of Louisiana. 

John C. died a few years ago and 
is buried at Frankford. Mo. William 
P. and his wife, nee Sarah Brown, 
daughter of J. B. (Buck) Brown of 
Hannibal, Mo., both died in Denver, 
Colorado, in 1911. A son of Wm. P. 
Carstarphen lives in Denver, Colo., 
and is at the head of the Carstarphen 
electrical works of that city. He has 
made his mark in the world as an 
electrician, says the venerable "Buck" 
Brown of Hannibal, his grandfather, 
known as a pioneer druggist of north- 
east Missouri. 

Mrs. Jennie Wellman, my sister, is 
living at New" London, Mo., at the age 
of 72 years. Oney, my youngest 
brother, studied law, and after serv- 
ing a term as prosecuting attorney 
for Marion county, Mo., removed to 
Denver, Colo. For the past twenty 
years he has held a government posi- 
tion in the General Land office at 
Washington, D. C. 

George Barnard Carstarphen, my 
oldest son married Miss Bertha Hamil- 
ton of Fulton, Mo. They have a fam- 
ily of four daughters Bertha, Hallie, 
Fthel and Helen, all splendid girls, 
they take after their mother arid her 
side of the house! I can go no fur- 
ther back than my parents. My 
grandfather and mother both died 
when Chaippel E. Carstarphen, my 
father was an infant, and he an only 

. In a letter dated March 7, 1913, 
written as his desk in the U. S. .cus- 
tom house, St. Louis, he says: 

"Your's to hand and read. Though 

I had to hunt up Willie and have him 
read it to me, I am so short of sight 
I couldn't read it, but he, a splendid, 
good fellow, soon made it plain to me. 
He and I went to work he writing 
and. I answering your inquiries until 
we came to my father's ancestors, then 
I broke down, as all the knowledge 
I have ever had of his history is that 
his parents both died when he was a 
baby, and he an only child. Hence 1 
could go no further back on our lin- 
eage. My own personal history and 
that of my wife and children I think 
you will find O. K. I have some notes 
of my early life that I shall send to 
you that you may write up a brief 
sketch for the Press-Journal, Newt 
Bryson's paper, in Louisiana, where I 
was best known and where the happi- 
est portion of my life has been spent. 
I feel that I would love to settle 
down there, to finish it up. I have 
more love for Louisiana than any 
place on earth. My old home, where 
I first located permanently in life, 
and where my first wife and four of 
my children are buried, out there un- 
der that great old oak, a beautiful 
monarch of the forest, where I too, 
when time with me shall be no more, 
hope to be laid. Adieu, my dear sir 
and friend. 


Mr. Carstarphen's feel-ings at the 
time of writing this letter, are so 
well expressed by a lady, a descend- 
ant of this family, living in the far 
west, who visited the Jackson home- 
stead a few years ago, and in her he- 
turn to the west wrote a very beauti- 
ful and tender tribute to her child- 
hood's home that I give her language 
as a fitting close to this sketch. 

It seems that her memory and his 
were filled with the same beautiful 
pictures which the mind had wrought. 

"Dear old home! I greet you with 
all my heart! I love you: the oreek, 
the branch, the rocky hills, with the 
green cedars standing as sentinels; 
your woodland with wild flowers and 
tall trees; your maple grove, where 
as a child I used to dring out of sugar 
troughs the sweet water as it flowed 
from the trees; I sipped from trough 
to trough as the birds flew from limb 
to limb, with not a thought or care of 
days and years to come that could 
bring sorrow. I can see the kind 
black faces, big and little, so busy 
with buckets carrying the sweet water 
to the big boiling kettle. Those wood- 
land scenes. 

"And you dear old soil! I love that 
too, because the most sacred dust to 
me of mortal bodies rests beneath 
the myrtle beds and the great spread- 
ing oak, awaiting the final resurrec- 

"Tn my far-away home, I long for 
your woody pastures and rocky hills. 
If I never see you or meet your dear 
people again, these pictures of my 
childhood home will ever linger in 
my memory." 

And with Goldsmith, he can say: 
"In all iry griefs and God has given 

my share 
I still had hoJDes, my latest hours to 


Amidst these humble bowers to lay 
me down". 

And, as a hare when hounds and horns 

Pants to the place from whence at 

first she flew, 
I still had hopes, my long vexatious 

Here to return, and die, at home, at 


Louisiana, Mo.. Feb. 13, 1914.