/■\ :•• /-\ ' ' .*^% --.tip:'- /%"■ .: .*^-"
' ■' %j. A^ ♦jH^, ■..■/■■ '^ ^^p d>
t %.^ Mi^:^ X/
c°^.^;^^-o /'■y;;;^^"\"' /\^%-^°o A^'\^^;^y\ c°".';.^>"°o
VI > ".^
...ncvpton, n^w jerecv...
n c; 1393
E. E_ BIGS
An Historical Sketch by Judce Menky Huston.
NKWTON, N J.
COPYRIGHT, 1897, BY E. E. BiCE.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
The West-Johnson Companu,
F. A. Ringler Corripany,
C. J. DOrtiCUS,
26-28 Park Place, New York.
Newton. N. J.
ERHAPS the first impression
which a stranger gets of
Newton is the general air of
comfort and prosperity that seems
to pervade the town. It has been
said tliat every great city has an in-
dividuality of its own, and the same
may be said of the smaller cities
and towns. Newtox, while possess-
ing many beautiful homes, yet un-
like many pretentious residence
owns, has no dilapidated rows of tenements. The town presents a clean, wholesome appearance,
rhe average of comfort and of intelligence is high. Few towns have so many advantages in
'egard to healthfulness of location ; situated about eight hundred feet above sea level it is exempt
"rom pulmonary diseases; the drainage is perfect, and the water supply is admitted to be the best
n the State. As a place for summer residence it has many advantages over more widely known
■esorts. It is easily reached from New York, being but two hours ride on the Delaware, Lacka-
,v.\nna and Western Railroad. The scenery in the surrounding country is superb, rivaling that
)f the famous Berkshire Hills in Massachusetts. Within easy driving distance are dozens of large
Hid small lakes ; among which are Morris Lake, the source of Newton's water supply, views of
vhich are given on other pages ; Hopatcong, Swartswood, Culver's, and Grinnell. These lakes are
picturesque and delightful, being well stocked with gamy fish and affording excellent boating.
'\mong other points of interest are the famous Franklin mines, the largest zinc mines in the world ;
uid the immense ore separating works at Edison. Newton is an old town, having many interesting
Rhsidkn-ce ok H, \V, Mkrriam, Main Street,
H\i.i, — Rrsidknck of H. \V. JIkrriam.
listorical associations. It does not resemble the " boom " towns of the West, since its growth has
leen uniformly in keeping with its business resources. However, during the past seven or
ight years the town has changed greatly. A public water system and an electric light plant
lave been established ; many new residences and business buildings have been erected, and other
mprovements have been made. The principal industry of Newton is the manufacture of shoes.
Hiree shoe factories are located here, one of which is the largest in the state. These form an
uduring basis of the town's prosperity. There is also a silk mill, a box manufactory, and machine
hops. The various stores are excellent, being far above the average of the usual local store,
ilsewhere in the book are found notices of the leading business firms. In addition to the manu-
acturing interests, the town is the centre of trade for a wide section of conutrv. It is safe to say
hat in no town of 4,000 inhabitants is a greater volume of business done. The business men,
IS a class, are enterprising and progressive. An active Board of Trade looks after the general
)usiness interests of the town. Two national banks, one of which has been in existence eighty
fears, transact the financial business of the community. Five hotels afford ample accommodations
or all visitors. Two weekly newspapers, which are among the oldest in the state, give the local
lews. Both are well conducted and have been important factors in the development of Newton.
riie social side of life is not neglected. The leading social organization is the Newton Club,
vhich has large and handsome rooms on S])riug street. The leading fraternal societies are repre-
iCnted by local lodges. In educational facilities the town ranks high. The public school system
s excellent and is well managed, the methods used conforming to the best pedagogical practice,
riie Newton Collegiate Institute holds high rank among secondary schools, and has long been at the
lead of the educational institutions of the place. The other schools are the English and Classical
school, recently opened, a business school, and a kindergarten. Five churches nourish the religious
ife of the town. The Dennis Library offers a large collection of books to its patrons. Amusement
Pari.ors—Kf.sidhncr of H. W. Merriam.
RESrDENCE OF Mrl.TON N. ARMSTRONG, M. D., LiNWOOD AVENUK.
is provided for by the Opera House in the Library Building. A new and much larger Opera House
will soon be ready for use. A brief glance around the town may be of some interest. In entering
the town from the railroad station we come up Spring street, the principal business thoroughfare.
Here are found the majority of the business houses, the banks, and the leading hotels Turning
the corner by the Sussex Bank we enter Main street. On the lower part of the street are various
stores, the different newspaper offices, and the Dennis Library. Across the street from the Library
is the Park Block, the largest business building Further up the street rises the hand.some Gothic
structure of the Episcopalians. The upper part of Main street is the leading residence portion of
the town. Here are found many beautiful homes with large, fine lawns, and long lines of shade
trees stretching along the street. Traversing a side street to the right we next go to Linwood
avenue, a new residence street having a most pleasant location, and commanding a fine view of the
town. Many of the most attractive residences built recently are located here. Pa.ssiug through
Liberty street we see many more pleasant homes as we go out to High street. We next come to
the large and finely-located property of the Presbyterian congregation. Further on are some law
offices and at the end of the street the Court House, full of memories of the legal strifes of by-
gone days. The building, in its early history, was the first home of several religious denomina-
tions, and the associations of both religion and law cling about it. Thus we might go on and dilate
upon the attractive features of the town. Yet if the reader will visit Newton he will find it better
than anv description. We believe that the following pages contain the information which an in-
terested reader would like to know concerning the advantages, both as a residence and a business
place, which Newton offers. But we cordially invite a personal inspection, knowing that it will not
suffer by comparison.
Residence of David R. Hui.i., Main Street.
,Sl'RIM, STREET^COVRT HOUSE AT END OV STREET,
AN HISTORICAL 5KETCH
BY JUDGE HENRY HUSTON.
HAT are now known as Sussex and Warren counties,
New Jersey, were taken from Morris county- in
1753. Warren conntj' was taken out of Sussex
county in 1824. Morris county was taken from Hunterdon
county in 173S, and Hunterdon county was created by Act of
the General Assembly in T714.
The first settlements within the present boundaries of Sus-
sex county were made along the Delaware vallej- about 1675,
b\' Hollanders, who came from the lowlands of Ulster county,
New York. By 1750, the settlements had become so numer-
ous that the people petitioned the Provincial Assembly to
divide the then County of Morris and allow them " the
liberty of building a court house and goal," to relieve them
from the inconvenience of going to Morristown to attend to
public business. The request was granted, and as a result
Sussex county was created in 1753.
During the French and Indian war, which began in 1 755
and continued for several years, the people of the county
were greatly harassed by the Indians and suffered many hard-
In the war of the Revolution the men of .Sussex whose ex-
perience in savage warfare had made them hardy and brave,
and whose homes had been earned -in I maintained bv cease-
less vigilance and heroic exertion, heartily joined with the
men of 1 776 in the struggle for liberty, and their descendants
have just cause to be proud of the brave part which they
sustained in the founding of our great nation.
I" 1753. Su.ssex county had less inhabitants than any
county in the State ; in 1 790 she had forged ahead of all the
counties except Hunterdon. In that year Sussex county
(with Warren) contained 19,500 people ; Hunterdon, 20,133,
while Essex had only 17,785. The development of the
county during the first fifty years was retarded liy the fact
that many large tracts of land were owned by non-residents.
As soon as the tillers of the soil became the owners, the
county began to pro.sper, vmtil it became one of the best
agricultural sections of New Jersey. The population of Sus-
sex county is now about 24,' 00.
Since the opening up of the grain fields of the great West,
the farmers of Sussex have devoted their attention largely to
the production of milk fcr the city markets, and within the
last twenty j'ears many of the land owners have begun the
cultivation of peaches and other fruits. The soil seems to be
peculiarly well adapted for these productions, and within a
short time Sussex county will be one of the greatest fruit
raising districts in the Uaited States.
Views Around Morkis Lake.
\V. H. Hawk Linwood Avenue,
W. F. Howell, Libertv Street.
Mrs Theressa Woodruff, High Street.
Mrs. Thomas G. Bunnell, High Street.
RKSIUKN'CK OH MRS. S. P. ADAMS.
Views at Morris Lake.
Physically, Sussex county presents a bold and picturesque
outline, the highlands beinfj; capped by the Blue Mountains
which pass through the county from the northeast to the
southwest. Along the western slope of these mountains the
Flatbrook runs parallel with the Delaware river from the
northern to the southern extremity of the county. The
principal streams east of the Blue Mountains are the Paulins-
kill, which flows into the Delaware river, and the Wallkill
and Papakating, which running northeasterly, empty their
Vaters into the Hudson river.
East of the Blue Mountains, while presenting many con-
siderable elevations, the country shows a large valle)', over a
hundred miles in length and from fifteen to twenty-five miles
in width. The finest portion of this valley is comprised within
the boundaries of Sussex county. It was called by the In-
dians the Kittatinny Valley. The valley is bounded on the
east by a range of mountains known as the Sparta or Wa-
Wayanda Mountains. Within the boundaries of these two
ranges of mountains lie the " Hills of Old Sussex."
Nowhere in this country can there be seen a finer landscape
than is spread out before the delighted vision as you climb
the Wawaj-anda or the Blue Mountains. Here are hill and
dale, green with trees and grass, orchards loaded with fruits
and fields rich with waiving grain, lakes and streams of pure
water, and scattered among them are cottages, hamlets and
villages, all combining to make a beautiful picture with which
the ej'e never tires. Following along the Blue Mountain you
come to High Point, the loftiest elevation in the county, iSoo
feet above the sea, from which an expan.se of country wide
as the eye can reach surrounds you on every side.
Here, within fifty miles of New York City, is a country of
mountain, hill and dale, that offers recreation, rest and
health to the tired and weary soul. Here are loftj' hills and
rich valleys, running brooks filled with trout and other
THE RPI.SCOP.tr. CHURCH.
choice fish, beautiful lakes surrounded with cool groves.
Here is an atmosphere ever pure. The elevation insures cool
bieeze.s, which mean health and vigor. Here are good hard
]'RESBVTERI.\X CHTRCH .\ND CH.^PEL.
roads of slate and limestone, affording an endless succession
of drives with an ever-changing scenery.
The county of Sussex has more fresh water lakes than all
the other counties of the State combined. The principal
lakes are Hopatcong, Swartswood, Culver's, Owa.ssa, Stru-
ble's. Reservoir Grenelle, White Panther, Sand, Rutherford
and Mo-'ris. These lakes, with very many of lesser note,
are stocked with black bass, pickerel, and other game fish.
Near the centre of the beautiful Kittatinny valley, and sur-
rounded by this lake country, lies the town of Newton, the
capital of Sussex county.
The first house built within the limits of the town of New-
ton was erected by one Henry Hairlocker, about 1750.
Other settlers must have soon followed him for in 1764,
Jonathan Hampton, who lived in Essex county, but owned
large tracts of land in Sussex county, conveyed to the board
of chosen Freeholders of the county of Sussex, land in the
town of Newton, for a Court House lot and a public square. In
1 765, courts were opened in the building erected upon this
land. The Court House was enlarged and improved in 1844,
and was destroyed by fire in 1847. Immediately following
this a new building was erected upon the same site, and this
is the present Temple of Justice. The public square was then
a grove of trees. Upon this square the original County
Clerk's and Surrogate's office was built in 1802 and was torn
down in 1859, when the present building was erected.
In 1820 there were six stores in the town. At that time
and for many years afterwards the business part of the town
extended from above the public square as far as Liberty street.
The growth of Newton w-as very gradual until about I'Sys.
since which time the population has nearly doubled. The
present population is nearly five thousand. The town
is along the vSussex Railroad, a branch of the Delaware,
Lackawanna and Western Railroad, and is distant from New-
York City, by rail, about sixty miles. There are six trains
to and from New York daih*. and while the present service
is fair, a competing line would be of inestimable benefit and
insure a more rapid development of the town.
Newton is located upon several hills and is surrounded by
hills and valleys. Its average elevation above the level of
the sea is about 650 feet. It is picturesquely situated and
from its highest points the expanse of hill and dale, of
mountain and valley, is a treat to the eye.
The town is one of the most healthful in the Eastern States.
Its elevation above the sea insures pure air and fine
breezes and an atmosphere free from all miasmatic influences.
From Newton, in all directions diverge good, hard natural
roads, offering elegant drives to the traveler, with a variety
of scenery unsurpassed within hundreds of miles. The
lakes afford an opportunity for unlimited pleasure to the
weary angler. Sufficient of the original forests remain
throughout the county to entice the lover of hunting to their
The opinion of the traveling public is unanimous that New-
ton is not only up to date, but for its size has no superior in
enterprise and commercial activity The stores are all well
built, well kept, and nearh- all owned by the proprietors, and
are evidences of the old saying that " competition is the life
of trade." The manufacturing interests are in good hands
and are largely the life of the town. The residences show
thrift and enterprise, are well cared for, and many of them
are surrounded bv beautiful lawns.
And what shall we say of the people who make the town
what it is ? Newton is a hive of workers, with few drones.
Nearly all the people are at work and are daily laborers in
the various walks of life. They are honest, industrious and
sociable. There is no spirit of aristocracy nor is there any
clique. Any young man coming into the town, whether rich
or poor, is made welcome, provided he be honest, industri-
ous and well behaved. And the kindly relations existing be-
tween the people, unmarred by political differences or those
of creed, make Newton a delightful place of residence.
And with the advantages offered by this real city in the
country, its population is yearly increased by many who are
seeking a location for plea.sant homes.
The BUSINE.SS OK THK TowN — Newton has many stores
and shops and all show signs of thrift and progressiveness.
The merchants and the Ijusiiiess men are wide-awake and
welcome all industrial enterprises which will add to the
welfare of the town. Let us look at some of the advantages
of Newton as a place of residence or location for business.
And fir.st to the churches. There are five religious societies
of different denondnations, namely: Episcopal, Presbyterian,
Methodist Episcopal, Baptist and Roman Catholic, and each
society has has its own temple of worship.
The parish of Christ Church, Newton, was organized as
early as the year 1769. The church building, now standing,
was dedicated in 1S69, and is a fine structure of Gothic
architecture, built of blue limestone. Near the church is a
well-built and handsome rectory. The society is prosperous
The earliest record of the Presbyterian church of Newton,
bears dates 1786. The society is large, progressive and vigor-
ous. The present church building was dedicated in iS7r.
It is a fine specimen of architecture of the Ionic order, and
while plain and substantial, is an elegant building. In
size it is 64 x 98 feet, with a spire projecting to a height of
17S feet, and the seating capacity is about 1,000. A few
vears ago the society erected a splendid chapel which is
located upon the church grounds.
The Methodist Episcopal Church, as a society', resulted
from the establishment of a class in this town in 181 1. The
congregation met in different buildings until 1834, when it
took possession of the structure built on Division street.
In 1861 a new edifice was erected facing the public square,
and this has been the home of the Methodists since that
time. A few )-ears ago the church was materially enlarged
and the seats arranged in amphitheatre .stj'le. The society
is strong and shows a health}- spiritual and financial condi-
The Baptist Church was organized in 1S35, and the society
worships in its own building, located on Main street. The
membership is not large, but they have retained their organi-
zation under adverse circumstances and show a commenda-
ble spirit of progress.
The first resident pastor of the Catholic Church located in
Newton in 1S54, and under his administration the first
Catholic Church in the town was erected. 1S71 the hand-
some brick church of St. Joseph, situated on Halsted street,
was dedicated and is now the spiritual home of that society.
A fine rectory is located upon the church land. The church
is strong and prosperous.
Schools — The Public School District of Newton is conter-
minous with the limits of the town, and the school is recog-
nized as one of its most beneficent institutions. It has
shown vigorous growth, both in numbers and efficiency,
for many years, and now ranks well with any public school
in any town of the State, of like population. The school is
thoroughU" graded into Kindergarten, Primary and Grammar
departments and there is also a high school course of instruc-
tion. The people of Newton have always manifested great
pride in their public schools and always hold up the hands
of its managers. Here, every child is afforded an opportunity
for a good English education. The school is of such high
character that many people throughout the county move to
Newton in order to obtain the advantages of a good educa-
tion for their children.
There is also the Newton Collegiate Institute, located upon
Institute Hill, which commands a fine view of the town and
surrounding country. The Institute is a preparatory school,
designed to fit young men and women for college, and it
also affords a special course of instruction. It can accommo-
date fifty boarding pupils.
There is also a Classical School which began this year
under very promising conditions, and bids fair to become
one of the permanent institutions of the town. It is de-
signed to prepare the joung for college and affords excellent
opportunity for higher English education.
A Business College was organized in Newton in the spring
of 1H97, and is meeting with well merited success. It is well
patronized and furnishes a thorough course of instruction in
Bookkeeping, Penmanship, Stenography, Typewriting, and
other branches necessary to make up a good business educa-
Newton also possesses a school exclusiveh' devoted to the
Kindergarten methods, which is appreciated by the people
of the town.
THE B.\PTrST CHURCH.
The Dennis Library — One of the best institutions of
Newton is the Dennis Library, estabhshed 1872, by Mr. Alfred
L. Dennis, of Newark, a former citizen of Newton. The
building contains a fine library, a lecture hall, the post office
and a printing office, and is under the management of the
Newton Library Association. The library now contains about
8,000 volumes, and in the reading room are found the best
magazines and periodicals of the day. The library is a
blessing to the town.
The H. W. Merriam Shoe Company — In 1S73, Mr. H.
W. Merriam began the manufacture of shoes in Newton.
His business increased to such an extent that in 1882 it was
organized as a stock company under the name of the H. W.
Merriam Shoe Company. In 1873 Mr. Merriam employed
about fifty hands, while now an average of three hundred
and twenty-five are given employment. The company is
admirably managed by men of brains and enterprise, and it
is one of the institutions of the town whose value to the
community can hardly be estimated.
The Sussex Shoe Company— The Sussex Shoe Company
was incorporated in 1886. In June, 1S90, the company was
reorganized. They make a specialty of boys' and girls'
school shoes. The business of this factory has grown year
by year. The factory has been enlarged and now affords em-
ployment to about two hundred and fifty hands. The mana-
gers of the company are men of well-known ability who
contribute largely to the welfare and prosperity of the town.
The Sterling Silk Company — About two years ago the
Sterling Silk Company, of Paterson, erected in the town of
Newton a large silk mill which now gives employment to a
number of hands. The business is growing constantly
and is a great benefit to the town. Its managers are men of
experience in the business.
The Newton Shoe Company — During the year 1897 a
new shoe factorv was erected in the town under the manaj e-
ment of the Newton Shoe Company. They already employ
one hundred hands. The company is managed by some of the
best business men of Newton, and promises to become an
increasing advantage to the town.
Banks — Newton has two National Banks, of which the
town has just reason to be proud. They are well managed
and prosperous. They have never passed a dividend and
each possesses a fine surplus. The officers are recognized as
first class business men, and their success speaks well for the
commercial enterprise of the people of the county. Each
bank owns a fine banking house, which is only the out-
ward sign of inward thrift.
The Sussex N.\Tional Bank — The Sussex National Bank,
formerly known as the Sussex Bank, began business in 1818,
and was incorporated as a National Bank in 1865. It
has a capital stock of |200,ooo, with a surplus of more than
The Merchants' National Bank — The Merchants'
National Bank was organized in 1865. It has a capital stock
of |ioo,ooo, with a surplus of more than |5o,ooo.
Hotels— For many years the traveling public have given
Newton the reputation of possessing good hotels. The
hotels have grown up with the town and all furnish good ac-
Newspapers — The Sitsscx Register was first published
July 5, 1813. in a building in the rear of the court house.
From a small beginning the Register has grown until it is
now recognized as one of the best weekly papers in the
The .\'e2t< Jersey Herald was established in 1829, and like
the Register, enjoys the reputation of a good weekly news-
paper. Both of these papers devote a great deal of attention
to local news, and in that field are excelled by few in the
State. Their active reporters are alert in gathering up items
of interest in the town and throughout the county, and they
present the information in a manner interesting and attrac-
tive. A third paper claims recognition at the hands of the
public by the name of the Sussex Record. It was started
last year, and the managers are exhibiting considerable
energy in their efforts to procure a share of patronage. It
is also a weekly paper.
Water Supply — In September, 1895, was completed a
gravity system of water works for the town. The source of
supply is Morris Lake, situated upon the Sparta mountains,
about ten miles from Newton. Morris Lake is one of the
most beautiful sheets of water that can anywhere be found.
The water is clear, pure and soft. It is brought to Newton
in a ten-inch main and the supply is abundant for long years
to come. The pressure is ample ; the average pressure be-
ing over 100 pounds, and is sufficient to throw strong streams
over the tallest buildings. With pardonable pride the peo-
ple of Newton claim that they have one of the finest water
systems in the country. Pure water, ample supply for do-
mestic use and fire purposes, strong pressure available for
any emergency, with hydrants accessible to every building
in the town, make the water system of Newton at once a
convenience, a luxury and a protection.
Fire Department— The Fire Department of Newton
consists of three hose companies and a fire patrol. The
companies are strong by training and experience. They are
made up of the active men of the town. The department
is entirely a volunteer service and enjoys a reputation second
to none. The town of Newton has always taken a just pride
in her firemen. Thej' are always ready, always on the alert,
always energetic and always successful. With the numer-
ous fire hydrants thoroughly distributed throughout the
town, and with the fire department, whose every member is
efficient, it would appear to be almost impossible that any
fire can make successful headway.
Societies — Newton would seem to have its full share of
societies, which appear to be prosperous. Among them are
the Harmony Lodge and Baldwin Chapter of Masons, the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the American Legion
of Honor, the Improved Order of Red Men, the United
American Mechanics, the Junior Order of United American
Mechanics, and the Royal Arcanum. Among other societies
we have the Young Men's Literary Association, The Newton
Club, the Newton Driving Club, the Young Men's Christian
Association, the Y'oung People's Society of Christian En-
deavors and the Epworth League. Of business societies,
especial attention may be called to the H. W. Merriam Shoe
Company Building and Loan Association, which has con-
ferred many benefits upon its members. It has been in ex-
istence several years, is well managed and is upon a sound
During the year 1S97 the business men of the town have
organized a Board of Trade for the purpose of promoting the
business interests of the town and to encourage the estab-
lishment of new enterprises.
This is a passing view of Newton, a town which is grow-
ing rapidly and will continue to grow ; a town whose people
desire to further every enterprise which will work for its
welfare and prosperitj'.
For a place of resideuce, for a place to do business, the
town of Newton has many exceptional advantages. The
visitor comes only to admire ; he lingers only to be gratified,
and he becomes one of us only to be entirely satisfied.
BIRD.S-EVR VIKW OF NEWTON FROM BINKKR HII.I..
Board of Trade.
Much of the prosperity of Newton has ever been due to
the exceptional spirit of haruion\' and co-operation among
the business men of the community. Whenever any ques-
tion affecting the material welfare of the town has arisen,
it has always been practicable to unite the business men
in sympathy and effort, and to secure from them liberal
contributions of time, labor or money to advance any matter
that commended itself to their judgement as worthy of sup-
port and as contributing to the progress of the town.
For a number of years the business men were organized
nrder the Merchants' Protective Association in correspon-
dence with similar bodies in other cities and towns of the
State. In 1S96, this form of organization was deemed too
limited in its scope of local membership, and it was aban-
doned for the time being. In the following spring there
arose a need for united action, of those iuteresed in the
prosperity of the town, and a call was issued for the organ-
ization of a Board of Trade. This call wis responded to by
about sixty business and professional men who completed
an organization, secured legal incorporation under the laws
of the State and elected the following officers; President,
Wm. Savacool, Vice-President, A. J. VauBlarcom, Secretary,
Chas. J. Majory, Treasurer, John C. Howell, and the follow-
ing Trustees : Wm. W. Woodward, Chairman; M. P. Tully,
F. M. Hough, N. H. Hart, S. R. Jenson, Lewis J. Martin,
Ira C. Moore.
The organization of the Board of Trade includes the follow-
ing Permanent Committees ; ou Finance, on Rail Roads and
Transportation, on Industral Enterprises and ou Town
Affairs. To each of the committees is assigned a specific
field of interest and effort as indicated in the several titles.
The inmiediate occasion of the Board of Trade in the
spring of 1897, was in connection with the securing for
Newton of a Shoe Manufacturing company that was desirous
of moving from Lynn, Mass.
Through the work of the Board and of committees appoint-
ed prior to its formal organization, this new factory was
added to the industries of the town as the Newton Shoe Co.
Other enterprises have been investigated by Committees of
the Board of Trade, and it is evident that this body will be
in the future a most efficient agency in guarding the interests,
and advancing the welfare of the community.
Public School System.
The town of Newton has been ever mindful of the school
interestsof its children and has provided from time to time,
facilities in keeping with the progress of educational work
throughout the State.
About 1870, an eight-room brick school building was
erected on one of the most desirable plots of ground in the
town, and a fully graded school with primary, grammar and
high school departments was established.
Continuously since that date, the school work has been
well supported by the town, and there are to-day few, if any,
towns in New Jersey, with a population not above five or
THE DENNIS LIBRARY AND THE PUBLIC SCHOOL.
six thousand that have a better equipped or more thorough-
ly administered school system.
The present principal took charge of the school iu Sep-
tember of 1892. During his administration, Kindergarten
work has been introduced as preparatory to the regular
primary grades of the school. The grammar grade work
has been organized upon the departmental plan, whereby
each teacher becomes to a great extent a specialist in one or
two subjects of instruction, and the high school course has
been extended and improved in thoroughness. During these
six 3'ears also, the building has been enlarged by a four-
room addition. A complete system of heating and ventilat-
ing has been introduced, sanitary closets have been intro-
duced, and many other improvements have been made in
the building and its appliances, and in the methods of disci-
pline and instruction.
The growth of the town during these years is well in-
dicated iu the growth of the school enrollment. During the
school year ]89!-'92 the total enrollment in the school was
450 pupils. For several years prior, the enrollment had not
varied much from that number. Since 1892, however, there
has been an annual increase in enrollment of from forty to
fifty pupils. The enrollment for the year iS96-'97, included
650 pupils and for the current year will apparently exceed
700. This growth in enrollment has, of course, necessitated
an increased teaching force, and a new teacher has been
added each year so that there are now thirteen class teachers
emplo)ed. It is probable that during the next year an ad-
dition to the present building will be provided and the teach-
ing force be still further increased.
The minimum standard of qualification, established by the
Board of Education for the selection of teachers, requires
that High School teachers shall be college graduates and
that the grammar grade and Primary teachers shall be grad-
uates of a State Normal School.
In consequence of the improved facilities and increased
efficiency in the school the pupils have come to continue a
year or more longer in school so as to complete its course
of study. The upper Grammar grades and the High School
department therefore now include a larger proportion of the
entire enrollment of the school than formerly, and the grad-
uating classes have notably increased in numbers. One of
the manifestations of public interest iu the higher work of
the school is the crowding of the large school Assembly Hall,
at the High School graduation exercises each June, by the
best citizens of the town.
The present Board of Education includes prominent pro-
fessional and business men, as follows: Chas. M. Woodruff,
President, Wm. H. Hall, District Clerk, Wm. E Dutcher,
H. O. Ryerson, VV. M. Clark, M. N. Armstrong, W. F.
Howell, Wm. Savacool and James Roof
The Newton Collegiate Institute.
The location of a school is highly important, both from
the standpoint of health and from the influence of surround-
ings. This school is highly favored in both respects. Sus-
sex County, iu which Newton is situated, is, according to a
late report of the Stale Board of Health, the most healthful
The Newton Collegiate Institite— J. C. Tla, Principal.
county in New Jersey. The school is over eight hundred
feet above sea level. The scenery for miles around is mag-
nificent. The school stands upon a hill above Newton, only
a short distance from it, and yet completely separated from
For forty-two years, the school was under Presbyterian
control, but two years ago it became an Episcopal school
when Prof. J. C. Pla took charge.
Prof. Pla has had exceptional success with his boys, and
has never had a failure in college preparations. Only natives
are employed to teach the living languages, and the vocal
and instrumental music departments are in the charge of a
graduate of the Royal Conservatory of Stuttgart, Germany.
Throughout the school, the pupil, and not the class, is con-
sidered the unit, so that equal advantages are offered to the
bright and the slow, the forward and the backward boy.
The equipment of the school is good. For exercise, there
is a campus of fifteen acres, while in bad weather, the boys
can find recreation in the gymnasium or in the bowling allev.
Both the dwelling house and the school building are steam
heated, and each division of the house furnished with bath
rooms. Nothing that can promote health and comfort has
been neglected. The aim of the school is to give to each
boy an honest and thorough education.
English and Classical School.
An important addition to the educational facilities of
Newton has been made this year. A private school for boys
and girls, designed to give them a thorough English or
Classical education, has been opened in the new Park Block.
The opening week of the school was highly successful, both
in the large enrollment and in the excellent class of pupils
received. The school has a prosperous future before it.
The principals. Miss Pierce and MissRosenkrans, are college
graduates and are thoroughly qualified for their work.
The Church of England in the Colonies was establish-
ed in Newton in 1769. In 1770 the first rector. Rev.
Uzal Ogden, Jr., went to England for Ordination by the
Bishop of London, there being no Bishops of this Church in
the colonies at that time. In the same year the parish of
Christ Church received from Jonathan Hampton a grant of
laud, the income of which was the main dependence of the
parish for nearly one hundred years. The charter of the
Church was granted by George III in 1774. The Rev. Mr.
Og<len resigned and removed to Newark, in 1784. From
this time until 1820 the parish was without a settled rector,
and became very much scattered. In May 1820, the Rev.
Clarkson Dunn became rector, and remained in that office
until 1857. Since that time the parish has been in charge
of Rev. Nathaniel Peltit, 1857-1867; Rev. Wm. Welles Holley,
1868-1870; Rev. Wm. H. Moffett, 1S70-1885; Rev. Samuel
Edson, 1S85-1S92; and the present incumbent. Rev. Charles
L. S.eel, who received his theological education at the
University of the South, Sewaitee, Tenn., and came to New-
ton from Trinity Church, Vineland, N. J., in Oct., 1892. The
number of communicants in May, 1S97, was one hundred
The first church building owned exclusively by the parish
of Christ church was erected in 1823, and remained in use
forty-four years, giving place to the present edifice, which
was built by the sale of church lands and by subscriptions,
and consecrated in 1S69. The present rectory, adjoining the
church, was built in the same year, giving the parish a
valuable church property. The seats in the present church
have always been free. Services are held every Sunday at
10.30 A. M., and 7.30 P. M., with holy communion except
the first Sunday in the^nonth, at 7.40 A. M.; on Fridays at
4 P. M., and Holy Days at 9 A. M. and 5 P. M.
Senior Warden, R. F. Goodman ; Junior Warden, Samuel
FIRST PRESBYTERI.AN CHURCH.
The history of this church goes back over a hundred years.
The first church edifice was erected in 17S6, though several
years passed before it was finished.
The first pastor was the Rev. Ira Condit. He was settled
in 1787 ill connection with the Hardwick church and re-
mained six years. After the interregnum of a year, the
church secured the services of the Rev. H.W. Hunt, who
was installed in 1795. After a pastorate of several years, he
was succeeded by the Rev. John Boyd, who was pastor from
1S02 to 1812, when the Rev. Joseph L. Schaffer was called.
This was the longest pastorale in the history of the church.
.'^fter preaching in Newton for twenty- hree years, from 1812
to 1835 he removed to Middletown Point. Remaining there
three years, he returned to Newton and continued as pastor
until his death in November, 1S53. During his pastorate a
new church was begun in 1827 and dedicated in 1829. Dur-
ing Mr. Schaffer's aljsence the Rev. Daniel M. Barbour oc-
cupied the pulpit. Succeeding Mr. Schaffer were Rev. My-
ron Barret, 1854-1859 ; Rev. George S. Mott, 1859-1869; Rev.
Theodore Byington, 1S69-1874 During Ibis pastorate a new
church, the third in its histor}', was erected. It was dedi-
cated on May 16, 1S71. the dedication sermon being preached
by the Rev. Dr. John Hall of New York City. From 1875
to iS8r, Rev. J. Addison Priest was pastor ; Rev. Eugene
Alney, 1881-1883; Rev. Dr. Young, 1883-1891. During
this pastorate, the beautiful chapel which adorns the church
property was erected at a cost of fS.ooo.
After the resignation of Dr. Young a little more than a year
elapsed when the present pastor, Rev. Samuel Carlile, D. D.
was called and commenced his work in May. 1892. He re-
ceived his education at New York University and Union
Theological Seminary. Dr. Carlile came to Newton from
the East Side Presbyterian Church, of Paterson, N. J.
During his pastorate the interior of the church has been re-
modeled a ta cost of $t6.ooo. The church will now accomo-
date one thousands persons. The present membership is
David R. Hull, William P. Coursen, Samuel Johnson,
elders. Milton N. Armstrong, M. D , president, and Martin
Rosenkrans, secretary, of the board of trustees. Clerk of
congregation, Jacob L. I'Unnell.
THE FIRST METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
The first appearance of the Methodist itinerant in the
neighborhood of Newton was in 1800 when the Rev. Robert
McCoy, then on Flanders Circuit, preached in a house stand-
ing near Drake's pond. In 1812, Sussex Circuit was formed,
embracing the whole of Sussex Count}' and part of Warren .
Thomas Neal and George Banghart were appointed preachers.
Out of this grew the Methodist church in Newton. In
1813, Hamburg Circuit, of which Newton was a part, was
formed. The services were held in the Court House, during
the Rev. Benjamin Collins' pastorate in 1819. The Newton
Circuit was formed in 1832, and the Rev. James Ayers and
Rev. Bromwell Andrews appointed in charge. The first
church building was dedicated Feb. T5, 1834. This edifice
served for twenty-two years when a new building was
erected. This building, the present one, was dedicated
March 23, 1861. Following the Rev. R. B. Lockwood, pas-
tor, 1861-1863, came the Rev. Geo. H. Whitney in 1863. A
new era now began ; business methods were introduced ;
tlie entire church indebtness was paid ; and a parsonage pur-
chased in Spring Street. The succeeding pastors have been
the following : R. B. Yard, J. N. Fitzgerald, now Bishop
I'ilzgerald. C. C. Winans, J. I. Boswell, J. I. Morrow, David
Walters, S. H. Opdyke, M. D. Church, W. S. Gallaway,
C. S. Coil, Wesley Martin, and J. R. Wright.
The present pastor, the Rev. Charles X. Hutchinson,
can;e to Newton in 1895 from the Park Church, Elizabeth,
N. J. He received his educational Syracuse University and
Drew Theological Seminary. During his pastorate, a hand-
some parsonage property, on the corner of Church and High
street.?, has been purchased. F. M Hon^h, Pre.'ideut, and
W. M. Clark, Secretary, of the board of trustees
THE C.\THOI.IC CHURCH.
THE SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH.
The Baptists, like some of the other religious deiiomiiia-
tioiis in Newton, held their first services in the Court
House. The first preaching services were held by the
Rev. Thomas Tisdale about 1S35. The church building
was erected in 1845. The present membership is loo. The
following have served as pastors. Thomas Davis, Rev. Mr.
Shermer, L. Morse, A. D. Wdlifer, J. Craig, Simeon Sigfreed,
James L. Davis, Ernest Thompson, Thos. C. Young, N. B.
Guiscard, Wayland Johnson, J. W. Turner and the present
pastor, E. H. Sherwin.
Geo. A. Truax, president, and E. A. Muir, secretary of the
board of trustees.
SAINT JOSEPH'S CHURCH.
Before 1S54, the Catholics of Sussex Co. had few opportuni-
ties for worship, since they depended on visits of clergymen
from Madison, Dover and other points. The present Bishop
of Rochester the Rt. Rev. B. J. McQuaid, was among those
who preached at Newton during this period. In 1854, Father
McMahon was appointed to the parish of Sussex Co. with
residence at Newton. lu 1855 the first church was begun
and completed the next year. Rev. James McKay succeed-
ed Father McMahon in 1857. He improved the church
property and also built a rectory. The Rev. Edward
McCosker, who came to Newton in 1861, did a great work
for the church. During his pastorate the present church
property was acquired. The building was begun in 1870
and was dedicated Sept. i, 1872. The Rev. Dr. McGlyu of
New York preached the sermon. The rectory adjoining
the church was also built at this time. Rev. G.
W. Corrigan succeeded Father McCosker in 1880, remaining
one year. The Rev. A. M. Shaeken took charge for two
months in. 1881 and in November of that year the Rev. M.
A. McManus was appointed pastor. Tlie present pastor, the
Rev. Jolm Haxter, came to Newton in i8go, from Mendheni,
N. J. The present board of trustees is as follows: the Rt,
Rev. Bishop Wigger, D. D., the Very Rev. John O'Connor,
the Rev. John Baxter. Lay trustees, M. P. Tully and J: mes
The Newton Club.
This is the principal social organization of the town and is
composed of the leading professional and business men.
The handsome rooms of the Club are shown on another
page. The bowling alley and other rooms are on another
floor of the building.
Its members take a just pride in this organization, which
has few equals in any town of the same size. As a place for
pleasant social intercourse and enjoyment, the club deserves
the popularity it enjoys.
The president is Thomas Kays, a prominent lawyer.
Societies and Organizations.
H.^RMONY Lodge, No. 23, F. and A. M.. was originally
instituted as Harmony Lodge, No. 8, on the i6th day of
July, T7S8, at the house of Jonathan Willis, in Newton.
This Lorlge is almost as ancient as the head I od e of the
State, which was organized only one year previous to this
Lodge. In 1828 tne Lodge returned its charter. In 1852
it was reinstated as Harmony Lodj;e, No. 23, and has been
in active operation ever since. Since its first organization
some thirteen Lodges have been oftshoots from Harmony.
During its early existence communications were held in the
homes of members. During all these years it has only had
three different Lodge rooms. Its present membership is
154. VV. M.John R. Warford; Secretary, Henry C. Bonnell ;
The stated communications are the first and third Thursdays
of each month.
B.\LD\viN Chapter, R. A. M. was organized in 1865.
The Lodge has seventy members and is in a prosperous con-
dition. H. P., J. S. Newman ; Secretary, R. F. Goodman.
WhiTTIer Councii., No. 1313, Royal Arcanum, was or-
ganized in Newton in February 1893, with nineteen charter
members and J. Majory, as Regent.
Dr. Majory served as Regent for two years and has been
succeeded by the following Regents : Edgar S. Milham, J.
Clark Andress, Chas. F. Brady. John S. Kintner has been
Secretary and H. O. Ryerson, Treasurer, continuously since
the organization of council.
The council now numbers about fifty members. Regent,
C. F. Brady ; Secretary, J. S. Kintner.
Ivy Lodge, No. 221, Independent Order of Oi'.d Fellows,
is one of the most successful of the many secret societies of
Newton, having upon its roster one hundred and twentv-six
members, many of whom are business and professional
gentlemen. It was organized May 28, iSSo. Ivy Lodge
occupies a beautiful hall in tlie F. ^L Hough building. The
furniture and Lodge equipment are all paid for, and the
Lodge has in bank balance and securities f 1.000. N. G;
CarljVolke; V. G., Jacob L. Bunnell; Rec. Secretary, Charles
The Mystic Circle was organized in January. 1897. The
present membership is about 65. W. R., Wm. H. Nichols;
Sec. Chas. L. Kyte.
The American Legion of Honor was organized in Feb.
1883. It has about 60 members. Commander, H. P. War-
dell; Secretary, Oscar B. Swanburg.
The other fraternal societies are the I. O. R. M., the
O. U. A. M. and the Jr. O. U. A. M.
Company G, yih Regiment N. G. N. J. was organized
March 9th, 1888. The first Captain was Richard F. Good-
man, who has .since been elected Major in command of the
2nd battalion. The armory of the company is on the third
floor of the Rosenkrans building. Company G is one of
the best drilled companies in the State and is a just source
of pride to the people of Newton. The present Captain
is Irving J. Kern.
Captain Geo. V . Griggs Post, No. 1 1 1, G. A. R. was organ-
ized Dec. 25th, 1888. The first commander was Captain
Joel Wilson, The Post has 35 members. The present com-
mander is W. N. Stelle.
The Woodlawn Driving Park Association was organized
in 1S95. President, P. S. Gunderuian; Secretary, W. Gray.
The Cochran House— R. H. Snook, Proprietor.
The Sussex Register.
The historj' of The Sussex Register is almost contempo-
raneous with that of Newton aud Sussex county. After
Eliot Hopkins and William Hustin had unsuccessfully tried
to keep life in the Farmers' Journal and Newton Advertiser,
which was the first paper issued in Sussex county, dating
from January, 1796, and having an existence of over two
3'ears, The A'egis/erwas launched in the troublous war period
Its first issue was dated July 5, 1813, audits size was iSx22
inches. It was printed on a Ramage press, made of wood,
and its type was of pica and small pica sizes. Fifty years
later the office had some of the original type, which
was made in Scotland. Though it passed through
many vicissitudes, and its founder was tempted at times in
its early history to abandon the projec, it remains to-day a
solid newspaper property, with an up-to-date plant, and en-
joying a prosperity that seldom falls to the lot of a country
John H. Hall, its founder and for many years its proprie-
tor, came to Sussex county at the age of 22 years, and with
limited capital began the publication of The Register. He
remained at its head until January 22, 1S64, when he sold
his interest to his son-in-law, Richard B. Westbrook. De-
spite great obstacles he had published the paper without a
single interregnum for nearly 51 j'ears.
But the man who made the reputation of The Register
was Benjamin Bailey Ed.sall, who came to Newton as a jour-
neyman printer the fall of 1S33. After entering Judge Hall's
employ his journalistic talent developed, and he soon began
to take a leading part in the management of the paper. In
1S55 he became part owner of The Register. His name be-
came a household word wherever the paper was knuwn, and
he exerted an influence never before, or since, wielded by
any New Jersey editor.
The firm of Hall & Edsall became B. B. Edsall & Co., in
1S64, when R. B Westbrook took Judge Hall's interest.
Mr. Westbrook's connection with the paper continued until
November 10. 1S66, when he disposed of his interest to
Joseph Coult, a lawj'er, then a resident of Newton.
In 1868, after the death of Mr. Edsall. his widow sold her
interest to Aaron C. Goodman, then a paper dealer in New
York City. From that date the firm name was Coult &
Goodman, until October i, 1869, when Richard F. Goodman,
the present editor, became the owner of Mr. Coult's interest,
and scon afterward Mr. Goodman took the interest of his
uncle, becoming the sole owner.
From April i, 1834, to March 31, 1836. Nelson P. Moore,
a brother-in-law of Judge Hall, was a partner under the
name of Hall & Moore, The partnership was a limited one.
Robert V.. Foster, the present assistant editor, served his ap-
prenticeship under Hall and Edsall and with the exception
of about one jear has been in the office since March i860,
and an assistant editor since 1876.
The New Jersey Herald
was established in 1S29. Its first editor, Col. Grant Fitch,
was a man of wide reputation, of honored lineage, possess-
ing a superior fitness for his labor. For thirteen years he oc-
Thk Park Block.
Clipieil the position, when the editorial mantel i'ell on the
shoulders of bis worthy son, Charles W., who is now a resi-
dent of Washington, D. C. He was succeeded by Gilbert
Bebee, who was followed in 1845, by Victor M. Drake, aprac-
tical newspaper man, and a gentleman who was personally
popular with his subscribers. He was succeeded by Judge
Thomas Anderson, now a resident of Newark, N J. Follow-
ing came Col. Morris R. Hamilton, at present Slate Librar-
ian at Trenton. Col. Hamilton remained in charge until
1858, when the paper came in possession of James McNally.
In 1S62 the plant was purchased by Henry C. Kelse\-, ex-
Secretary of State, now a resident of Trenton, who associated
with him as partner John W. Gillam. Until i865, Mr.
Kelse}' edited the Herald with all the ability of his vigorous
manhood, and with great acceptability to its readers. Tn
1S07, Thomas G. Bunnell was chosen editor, and for nine-
teen successive years performed his duties with such accept-
ability and recognized merit that the Herald ranked well to
the front with the foremost State papers. Receiving the
appointment of postmaster, Mr. Bunnell resigned the posi-
tion of editor in iS'-'S. For about one year the editorship
was held by Thomas Kays, Esq., who wrote columns of in-
structive and valuable matter. In 18S;, the Herald, which
was for many years owned by a stock company, was sold to
Thomas G. & Jacob L. Bunnell. It was published by them
until Mr. Bunnell's illness, in 1890. In i8gi, his interest
was purchased by ex-Surrogate Gabriel B. Dunning, who re-
tained it for oue year, when it was purchased by Jacob L.
Bunnell, who has since puolished and edited the Herald
with Henry C. Bonnell as assistant editor. As to location.
for many years the Herald was a "bird of passage," as it
were, changing its location every few years. In 1873, its
office was removed to the first floor of the Dennis Library
Association building. Main St , where for nearly a quarter
of a century it has been continuously printed. It is regarded
as one of the permanent and most prosperous institntious of
Newton, proud of the good it has been the means of accomp-
li.shing for humanity, and gratified with the thought that
during all its years of usefulness it has had associated with
its management, men prominent and honored in the aff"riir3
of both county and state.
The Sussex Record.
This paper is under the management of Howard Little,
It devotes part of its space to local news, but tlie greaest
feature of the paper is the large list of farm properties which
it describes and advertises each week. It is the largest li.-^t
of such properties in any paper of the kind.
Mr. Little, the proprietor, is a prominent real-estate man
and is greatly interested in the developement of property
in this county.
The Park Block a cut of which is shown on another page
is one of the latest undertakings in Newton. The out-
side appearance shows that it would be hard to improve
in any way, and the inside arrangements are complete in
every respect. The third floor, fronting on Main and Park
Sts., is not in use at present. The second floor front is oc-
cupied altogether by offices. In the rear of the second floor
and with galleries on the third floor, is a theatre complete
in every way, equal to a m.ijority of the city theatres. It
has a large stage, thirty feet deep by sixty feet wide; eight
private boxes and a seating capacity of about 800. It is
well heated, illuminated and ventilated.
The first floor of this fine building with a frontage of 97
feet on Main street and 115 feet on Park Place, is occupied
by W. D. Ackerson, whose department store is to-day the
largest in northern New Jersey. He carries a complete line
each by itself, of Groceries, Meats, and Provisions, Dry
Gooils, Notions, Millinery, Gent's Furnishings, Clothing,
and Jewelry. Thi.s store is one of the attractive features
of Newton. Its combined business is immense. It draws
trade from all sections of this and adjoining counties,
Mr. .\ckerson was for a numder of years in the grocery
busines on Spring street. He is a thorough business man
in every way and keeps constant watch over the store.
The Cochran House.
This hotel is one of the landmarks of Newton. It is pro-
bable that an inn or hotel has been located on this spot for
over one hundred years. The present building was erected
in 1S42. It has been enlarged and improved at different
The hotel is famous in the political annal of the county
and State. Here, politicians, big and little, have met for
years and concocted their plans.
The present proprietor, Mr. Robert H. Snook, has gained
a large number of friends among the traveling public,
since he purchased the property. He has refurnished and
remodeled the hotel, making it to-day one of the best hotel
properties in the State.
The Cochran House is the favorite hotel with commercial
men and also has a number of permanent guests.
The appointments of the hotel are first-class in every re-
spect and equal to the city hotels To the traveler, who
wishes a pleasant place to slay, the Cochran House can be
The Sussex National Bank.
This institution was chartered January 3t, 1818, as a State
bank with a capital of |ioo,ooo. It became a National
Bank in May, 1865. The first board of directors was as
follows; Daniel Stuart, Wm. T. .Anderson, Job S. Halsted,
James .Stoll. Grant Fitch, Ephraim Green, Jr., John Gustin,
John Armstrong, David Ford, Gershom Coursen, and David
Ryerson, all men of prondnence in the town and county.
The first president was David Stuart ; tlie succeeding presi-
dents have been Ephraim Green, David Ryerson, David
Thompson, and David R. Hull. It is a remarkable fact that
the bank has only had two cashiers in its history. The first
cashier was Samuel D. Morford, and his son, Theodore Mor-
ford, succeeded him.
The bank occupies a fine property on the corner of Spring
and Main streets. Some time ago the interior was refitted
and it is now the finest banking room in this part of the
State. The financial standing of this bank and the promi-
nent part it has had in the development of Newton make it
a source of pride to the people of the town.
^^ The H. W, Merriam Shoe Co. -j*^
I ^HIS business was establislied in 1873 by Mr. H. W. Merriam. In 1882, it became a stock com-
pany under the name of the H. VV. Merriam Shoe Company. The company manufactures
Ladies', Misses' and Children's fine shoes. It is the largest shoe factory in New Jersey. The large
and commodious factory — a model building of its class — is shown on the opposite page.
In 1873, Mr. Merriam began with fifty employees ; to-day there are four hundred names on the
pay roll. The amount paid out in wages each year is about $225,000. Much of the prosperity of
the town is due to this. It is a noteworthy fact that the company kept the factory running during
the recent hard times. The prodiict of the factory is sold to retail dealers and not to the wholesale
trade. This allows the company to pay large wages and keep up the standard of its goods. Its
energetic salesmen have made the name and fame of INIerriam shoes known throughout the country.
Mr. Merriam, the president of the company, has retired from active management. This is now
in charge of Mr. W. L. Dutcher, the vice-president. Mr. Dutcher is a man of thorough business
training and ability.
An important feature of the company is the Building and Loan Association which was
established for its employees bv the company itself This has accomplished a vast amount of good
in enabling the employees to build and own their own homes.
Mr. Merriam, the president of the company, is a citizen of great public spirit and a philanthro-
pist. His gifts to the Presbyterian church, to the public school, and to his employees, are only
incidents in his wide and varied beneficence. His relations to his employees are of the most
kindly character, and if all corporations were governed by the same principles as this company,
.strikes and labor wars would be unknown.
PLANT OF THP: H. \V. JIKRRIAJI SHOE CO.
^ The Sussex Shoe Co. ^
THE Sussex Shoe Co., was incorporated iu 1886 with a
capital stock of $25,000. Business was commenced in
a factory 50x70 feet, three stories high. The first year's
business amounted to |6o,ooo, and constantly increased until
1889, when a large addition was needed to the factory to
supply the demand for their goods, and a three story building
40x80 was added. In June, 1S90, the company was re-organ-
ized with a capital stock of |6o,ooo; Ira C. Moore being
elected Treasurer and John Huston, President.
The demand for the Company's goods increased to such
an extent that better facilities were necessary, and in the
Spring of 1S97 another story was added to their already large
building, new engine placed in position, electric lights put
iu every department and new and improved machinery se-
cured, so that they now have one of the largest and best
equipped factories, for their class of work, in the United
They make a specialty of boys' and girls' school shoes,
ladies', misses' and children's spring heels : over 200 hands
are given employment and 7200 pairs of shoes turned out
weekly. Their large factory is equipped with the latest
machinery for turning out the best work, and no expense is
spared where the quality of the shoes can be improved.
There is no state in the Union where their busy salesmen
have not raised their standard, and the trade mark of the
Company "Sussex School Shoes," with a flag for back
ground, the staff of which is supported by a globe of the
world, on which is written ".Shoes for All," is a synonym
for good shoes.
Messrs. Moore and Huston, the managers, are natives of
the Town and County, are hard workers, carefully watch all
the details, know and have the confidence and respect of
every employee, and the success of the Company has con-
tributed very largely to the growth and prosperity of the
The annual business of the Susses Shoe Co. the past few
years has exceeded over a quarter of a million of dollars.
^ The Newton Shoe Co. ^
THIS Company is the latest one to commence the man-
ufacture of Shoes in Newton. Judged by its auspic-
ious begining it bids fair to become highly successful.
The factory was erected during the past summer. It is a
fine substantial brick structure, fifty by one hundred and
fifty feet, and three stories high. The first floor contains
the offices of the Company, the receiving and shipping
room, the box-making plant, the stock fitting room, and
the engine room. The second floor contains the lasting and
bottoming machines. On the lop floor is located the ladies'
stitching department and the cutting department. The
machinery used in this factory is of the best manufacture
and strictly adapted for high-class work.
By its first output the Company has establisherl its rep-
utation for fine work in the production of Ladies'. Misses'
and Children's slices, to which it is devoted exclusively.
The advance orders were large and new orders have been
constanth- coming in.
The Company is incorporated and is composed of the lead-
ing business men of the town. The Secretary is Mr. J. H.
Valentine, well known iu the mercantile business here.
The President is Mr. F. M. Hough, who was for many years
a successful merchant in Newton, and is widely known in
business circles as a mau of unusual executive ability. The
Company is thus under excellent management and seems
destined to become one of the most successful in thecountrv.
CAN BE PURCHASED OF
BOOKSELLER AND STATIONER,
NEWTON, N. J.
^ John W» Lane ^
WHEN a man has been in business twenty-five or thirty
years, he is in the habit of thinking it a long time.
Newton has several men who have been in business
forty years or over. At the head of these older business
men in town is Mr. John W. Lane, the oldest business man
in Newton and in Sussex county. Mr. Lane was born in
Sussex county, and began his business career in Lafayette,
in October, 1841. Mr. Lane moved to Newton April i, 1S45,
and has been continuously in business since that time. His
business career is remarkable for its great length and for
the fact that Mr. Lane, although at an advanced age, is still
able to look after his business with his old time foresight.
He has always been progressive and interested in any mat-
ter of town improvement. The complete story of his life in
Newton, would take in a large part of the business history of
The store is the best of its kind iu town, Mr. Lane being
the leading dealer iu stoves, tinware and housefurnishing
goods. He has sold more goods of this kind than anyone
in the county. A full assortment of silver-plated and solid
silverware is also carried. An important part of the business
is the gas fittiug and plumbing, and also the sale of steam
and hot air heating appliances. Mr. Lane has in his employ
the most skillful and experienced workmen in town, and has
had the contract for the plumbing and heating of the most
prominent buildings in town. The store is complete and
up-to-date in every department.
^«^ The Sussex National Bank ^^
surplus fuud, $
David R Hull
HE Sussex Bank is the oldest
and strongest financial institu-
tion in Newton. The bank
commenced business in iSiS, and for
almost eighty years it has passed suc-
cessfully through every period of finan-
cial stringency and of panic. From a
small State bank, in the beginning of
1"^' -nMiJI^BBS^B^^SSI^^^^^^^^^^^J^^^^^BI the century, it has developed into a
I ~^^^^^^^B^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^H^^^^8H and
i| ' 11 ik^^^^^^^E^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^H The management of the bank
ill I', |BiB^^^^^^H|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| alwavs been in safe hands. Its officers
, T ' r ^<^^^^^^|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^H and directors have comprised man}' of
the leading men of the community
While thoroughly conservative, yet it
is progressive and has always kept up
with all modern methods and improve-
ments in the science of banking.
The capital stock is |2oo,ooo ; the
100,000 ; and on October 5th, 1S97, the undivided profits amounted to |59,ooo. The officers are : President,
Vice-President, William McDanolds; Cashier, Theodore Morford; Ass't Cashier, Lewis M. Morford. Direc-
McDanolds, Henry C. Kelsey, David R. Hull, Thomas Kays, John Huston, Charles D. Thompson, Charles
tors. — William
J. Roe. Andrew J. VanBlarcom, Samuel Johnson, Theodore Simonson, George Greer.
^■Jt David R. Hull & Co. ^vse
^HE story of a successful career, achieved by
sterling integrity and unwearied energy,
cannot fail to be interesting. The successful
men in business form only a fraction of the whole
number engaged. There is reason then, in study-
ing the story of a successful firm. Mr. Hull com-
menced his business career in Newton in 1850, in
the store of Edward C. Moore. Six years later
the firm of Hull & Rosenkrans was formed, and
continued so until 1865, when Mr. Rosenkrans
withdrew. Mr. Hull continued in business alone
until 1877, when the firm of David R. Hull & Co.
was formed. Since that time there have been
several changes in the partners in the firm ; Mr.
Hull has now associated with him, his nephew,
David R. Hull, Jr., whose excellent business ability
and wide popularity make him very valuable to the
firm. Thus, though commencing business for
another, Mr. Hull has to-day the leading store of
the kind in the town, and as president of the lead-
ing bank in the count)-, holds an important place
in the conmiunity.
The firm occupies a large and commodious store, consisting of two floors and basement. The second floor is devoted
almost entirely to the large carpet department. The first floor contains the dry goods department, embracing a complete
and up-to-date stock of the best goods. Although this is the oldest dry goods house in Newton, yet it is modern and pro-
gressive in its methods of business. A feature of the business is the number of patrons, from all parts of the county, who
have dealt with this firm for a score of years and more. No store has a closer hold upon its patrons.
^ ^ Samuel Nicholls -Jt ^
HE business conducted under this name
was begun in iSSg by Samuel and W.
H. Nicholls. The first store was on Main Street;
later, on account of increased business, a change
was made to the present location on Spring
street. Since 1895, the present proprietor has
continued the business alone. It would be im-
possible to give on this page any complete ac-
count of the large and varied stock ; it is suffi-
cient to name a few departments. In the Book
and Stationery department may be found the
latest works of the day, as well as various stand-
ard works and popular libraries. The leading
newspapers and magazines are always at hand.
.\ large and beautiful assortment of Pictures, of
various styles, is carried. In Potteries and
articles of Bric-a-Brac, the most fastidious taste
could not fail to find something to please it.
The largest line of any house in the county is
carried in this department. The display of
articles of Sterling Silver is fine and attractive.
Sporting goods of all kinds are carried in stock.
In connection with this department should be mentioned the line of Cameras and Photographic Supplies. Mr. Nicholls is
the agent for several leading makes of Wheels, and has a large trade in this department. Musical Instruments form another
line of the business. An excellent assortment of Candies is always in stock. Mr. Nicholls has the exclusive sale in Sussex
county of Huyler's celebrated Chocolates and Bon-Bons. The illustration on this page shows the handsome interior of the
store. From a small beginning, Mr. Nicholls has to-day, the leading store of the kind in Newton.
Don't Torget in Ms Vcar
^^HAT one of the features of Newton
LI, and Sussex county is the old, reliable
Sussex Register. It came into
existence when the county was all
most a wilderness, and the town of Newton
but a straggling village It has grown into
the hearts of the people because it always
has been the people's paper. It has stood
for the welfare of the citizens of Sussex in
adversity and through prosperity. It will
continue to be the people's paper, welcomed
in every household, and treasured alike by
old and young. It is a standard paper and
has a standard price for everyone.
The work of our Job Department is not
equalled by any establishment in North
Jersey. A trial order will prove it if you do
not already know it to be so.
^ W, F« Howell ^
MR. HOWKM- commenced the hardware Ijusiness in Newton some
twentv-five vearsago. He is the successor of the firm of Hill &
Howeil. In'addition to the regular hardware Hue. a large trade
is carried ou in Sashes. Doors and BHuds. both retail and wholesale.
Among the prominent buildings in Newton fitted out by Mr. Howell
may be mentioned the Park Block and Cochran House. The Sherwin-
Williams paints are sold in large quantities throughout theconnty. Mr.
Howell is the most extensive dealer in Grass Seeds of all kinds in the
county Manv car loads are sold each season. He is the sole agent for
the Buckeve Harvesting Machines, so well and favorably known to far-
mers in a'll parts of tHe country. Mr. Howell occupies a prominent
place in the business life of Newton. He is well known throughout the
county. He has gained a large and valuable patronage through his ex-
cellent business ability.
^ Miss S, E. Doyle ^
"^Tewton can boast of very attractive stores in
-^^ several lines of business, but it is safe to say
that there are no more conspicuous illustration of
what a store should be than the Bakery and Con-
fectionery store of Miss S. E. Doyle. Stores of this
class are not usuallj' as attractive as it is possible for
them to be. The subject of this .sketch, however,
has a store which is a model of its kind. In every
detail of its arrangement good taste is di.splayed.
Few city stores equal it in all respects.
The Confectionery branch of the busine.ss is
widely known, as many retail dealers are supplied.
Miss Doyle manufactures her own candy, its fine
quality being its best recommendation.
Miss Doyle commenced business in August, 1 88 1 ,
and from a small beginning has to-day the most pros-
perous business of the kind in the county. Miss
Doyle is a native of Newton, and her interests are
all connected with the town. Her success is the re-
sult of keen business ability and supplying the
finest quality of goods.
Wm. Savacool & Co*
NEWTON, N. J.
Dry Goods Department.
^^ M. P, TuUy^.je
TV Tr. Tully, the subject of this sketch, is one of the older
^^-*- business men in town. Before he came to Newton, he
liad had considerable experience in the best custom work
in New York City and other places. Thus, he had a know-
ledge of the tailoring trade such as few local merchants possess.
He commenced his business career in Newton in 1879. For
twenty years he remained in the same building, meanwhile
gaining a large trade. In 1890, he removed to the new Ro,sen-
krans building, and to-day has the finest clothing .salesroom
in the county.
Mr. Tully has a large patronage in Newton and in various
parts of the county. His trade is not even confined to this
limit, as many of his old customers from different parts of the
State, and even beyond the State, have their clothing made each
year at his store. This fact alone is the highest recommenda-
tion of the high qualit}' of the cu.stom work of the store.
In addition to this department, a full stock of all kinds of
Men's Furnishing Goods and a complete assortment of Ready-
Made Clothing is carried. The Hat department is full of the
latest stj'les, and in fact every line of Furni.shing Goods is fully
^■ji Clark & Hawk ^^
■Kli^?®8!! ?(10Kl8il8ir iKi' l?KI[Fic)0]il3(3
THE business of Uiis firui was established in
1874 by W. M. Clark. At that lime there
was uo furniture store of any size in town,
and soon Mr. Clark had the largest business of the
kind in the community, and it was not obtained
undeservedl)', for it was the result of keen busi-
ness ability, and a knowledge of what people
wanted. On March i, 1896, Mr. Clark retired and
the business was continued by his son Harry F.
Clark and W. H. Hawk.
This firm has the largest stock of Furniture in
Sussex couut\'. No other store offers such a wide
selection in all departments of Fine Furniture.
Not only is everything up-to-date but the prices
are very low for the quality. In addition to the
Furniture department, a large line of Picture Frames
and Pictures are constantly kept in stock. There
is also a complete Upholstering and Repairing de-
partment connected with the store. This is a great
convenience to the people since it obviates the
necessity of sending furniture out of town for
The most important department however, is the Undertaking and Enibalniing department. This is under the personal
charge of Mr. Clark, who is a graduate of the New York Knibalming College. The reputation of the firm in this depart-
ment is so well-known in this and adjoining counties, that it hardly needs be dwelt upon. The courteous and careful
service, and the complete facilities in this department, are known to every one in the county.
'3^ James Roof ^^
IV yf R. Roof is the lar-
gest Shoe dealer
in Newton. His trade
extends over the en-
tire county and also a
part of Warren county.
His leading line of
shoes is the famous
Burt & Packard, "Kor-
rect Shape," for which
he has the exclusive
sale in Newton. In
Ladies' Shoes he car-
ries a full line of goods
n'ade by Lounsbury,
Mathewson & Co. A
strong feature is the
|2.oo line of goods,
which cannot be sur-
passed in wearing
qualities. In every
other department the
store is complete and
has justly earned its
wide reputation for reliability. Mr. Roof has been in busi-
ness for over fifteen 3-ears, and is one of the successful men
of the town.
English and Classical School;
NEWTON, N. J.
^c^ooP for QBo^6 anb \&\xh.
For Terms and other information, address
Helen A. Piekce, B. A.. [Wellesley.]
Lillian M. Rosenkrans, A.B. [Smith.]
^l^HIS firm is the latest one to commence the con-
Lf trading business iu Newton, but has built niaiiy
^^^ of the newer business buildings iu that time.
Among the prominent buildings iu Newton
which they have built may be nientioued the Park Block,
the Newton Shoe Co., the Hnglish Building aud the ad-
dition to the Cochran House. Other buildings of their
construction are the Trimmer Building at Morristown
and the new towell factory at Deckertown They have
also erected many dwelling houses iu various parts of
the county. The 'firm owns one of the best limestone
quarries iu the State and thus are enabled to obtain a
fine grade of building stone at a small expense. Thev
are prepared to furnish estimates for any kind of build-
iuginanvpart of tlie State. Mr. O'Donnell. thesenior
mtrmber of the firm has been in the marble and granite
business in Newton for a nntnber of years aud is well
known all over the county.
C O U N S K L L O R - A T - L A W ,
OFFICE IN PARK BLOCK,
Newton, N. J.
THOMAS M. KAYS,
PRACTICES IN ALL THE COURTS.
GIVES SPECIAI, ATTENTION TO REAL
ESTATE, TITLES, &C
Law Office, over Merchants' National Bank,
Newton, N. J.
DAVID. B. HETZEL,
Xkwton, N. J.
COUNSELLOR- A T-L AW,
EXAMINER IN CHANCERY, and NOTARY PUBLIC.
JUSTICE OF THE PEACE.
Publisher of the "Sussex Record."
COUNSELLOR - AT - LAW,
Offices, Spring St.. Newton, N J
Over Merchauls' National Bank. ne.\t door to the Cochran House.
Practices in all the Higher Courts of New Jersey. U. S. Supreme.
Circuit and District Courts.
Especial attention given to Patent Cases.
CHARLES M. WOODRUFF,
C O U N S E L L O R - A T - L A W ,
SPECIAL MASTER IN CHANCERY.
Rooms 4 S: 5, Park Block, Newton, N. J.
ISRAEL L. HALLOCK,
COM.MISSIONER OF DEEDS AND
JUSTICE OF THE PEACE.
Office in Brittin Building, Park Place, Newton, N J.
P o box 12.
H. M. WARD,
WHOLESALE LIQUOR DEALER,
High Street, next door to Court House.
Ladies' and Gentlemen's Dining Room Attached.
H248 78 535
.fy , ' o "-tp
^.s * ,G^
■■■'■ ^' ^^ -o-"' a"
* J- '-
/" ;/i§& \,^
.V °^ •"- A° V. "■' <V
.^^^^V /% ^^""^