Skip to main content
ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
1833 02144 0794
PROCEEDINGS AND ADDRESSES
PHILADELPHIA, DEC. 8, 1907
Vol. XVIII. ^\
PUBLISHED BY THE SOCIETY
Digitized by the Internet Archive
Julius f. sachse, litt.d.
daniel w. nead, m.d.
henry m. m. richards
The Pennsylvania-German Socum
TNI NEW EKA PRINTINO COMPANY
TABLE OF CONTENTS.
Officers of the Society ...... 4
Minutes of Meeting at Philadelphia ... 5
President's Address, Benjamin Matthias Nead . 6
Report of Secretary, H. M. M. Richards . 14
Report of Treasurer, Julius F. Sachse . • .18
Action on Resolution of Dr. Buehrle . . . ig
C s Election of Officers . . . . . . 19
Historical Papers 19
Obituaries . . z\
p Pennsylvania — - The German Influence in its
Settlement and Development :
vJl Part XIX. Diary of a Voyage from Rotterdam
to Philadelphia in 1728.
ri Part XX. A Brief History ok the Colony op
*5n. New Sweden.
L A Contribution to Pennsylvania History : Missivi s
\.i to Rev. August Herman Francke from Dash i
Falckner, Germantown, April 16, ijoz. and
'V 1 Justus Falckner, New York, 1704.
* Pennsylvania-German Literature :
> Harbaugh's Harfe.
^ Church Records of the Williams Township Conor e-
OFFICERS OF THE SOCIETY
Hon. John Wanamaker.
James McCormick Lamberton.
Carl Hess Niemeyer, C.E.
H. M. M. Richards.
Julius F. Sachse, Litt.D.
Executive Committee :
Rev. Theo. E. Schmauk, D.D.
Rev. Nathan C. Schaeffer, Ph.D., D.D.
Rev. L. Kryder Evans, D.D.
Dr. John Franklin Mentzer.
Dr. Daniel W. Nead.
Hon. Maurice C. Eby.
NaamaN H. Keyser, D.D.S.
Dr. W. K. T. Sahm.
Thomas C. Zimmerman, L.H.D.
Abraham S. Schropp.
REPORT OF THE PROCEEDINGS
SEVENTEENTH ANNUAL MEETING
HELD AT PHILADELPHIA, PA.
ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 1907
"TrHE Executive Committee of the Society held its reg-
^ ular quarterly meeting at the Hotel Walton, Phil-
adelphia, Pa., at 8.30 P. M., on Thursday, November 7,
for the transaction of its business.
By courtesy of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania
the seventeenth annual meeting of the Pennsylvania-Ger-
man Society was held in the lecture room of its handsome
and well-adapted new building, southeast corner of Thir-
teenth and Locust Streets, Philadelphia, Pa., on Friday,
November 8, 1907. The gathering was large.
The meeting was called to order at 10.00 A. M. by
the President, Benjamin Matthias Nead, Esq., of 1 l.ir-
6 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
risburg, Pa., and opened with an invocation by the Rev.
Samuel Laird, D.D., of Philadelphia, which was followed
by the annual address of the president.
Address of Benjamin Matthias Nead, President.
Ladies and Gentlemen:
It appears to have received the sanction of custom
that the one whom the Pennsylvania-German Society an-
nually honors with its choice as president shall, upon
assuming his duties, briefly take up for consideration, from
the view-point of his services in the ranks, and his ex-
perience in the work of the society, its aims and purposes,
and give expression to his interpretation of the faith
which is within it. Considering the somewhat advanced
age of the organization, and the number of interesting
and comprehensive addresses which have been delivered by
its presidents in the past, this duty may, at first thought,
appear to be a perfunctory one, and the subject matter
of consideration, a " twice-told tale "; but the society, ap-
parently, wisely subscribes to the truth of the proposition
that no individual, or association of individuals, was ever
so completely skilled in the conduct of affairs as not to re-
ceive new information from experience.
It was, I believe, the German poet and writer, Goethe,
who gave expression to this thought, " that occasions arise
when we must read between the lines of books and [printed
records in general, to properly understand them." And,
so there are, as truly, occasions when we must read between
the lines of the annals of a people and the story of their
every-day lives, their habits and their customs, to properly
understand their true agency in the predestined scheme
of the world's uplifting.
Avowedly, this organization of ours came into being
Address of the President. 7
for the purpose of searching out and preserving the an-
cestral records of that important class of Pennsylvania's
people who are of German descent; for the purpose of
bringing their forefathers into such recognition in the
eyes of the world, and, especially, in the eyes of. their
own children, as is deserved; for the purpose of develop-
ing the friendly: and fraternal spirit that should exist
between those in . whose veins the same blood flows; for
the purpose of rescuing from obscurity the story of honor-
able and praiseworthy actions; and for the purpose of
preserving to posterity the ancient public records, the land-
marks and memorials which, in another generation, will
have entirely disappeared.
But the founders of the Pennsylvania-German Society
were actuated by a broader and far more patriotic spirit
than can be recognized in a simple reading of their avowed
purposes in the beginning. Among a certain class of
thoughtful citizens of Pennsylvania, who were not wholly
absorbed in the contemplation of the glory, the wealth and
the political power of their native state from the sole
standpoint of evolving dollars therefrom and forwarding
methods by which those dollars might be converted to their
individual uses and advantage, there was a growing spirit
of discontent, call it, if, you will, wounded patriotic pride,
or civic shame. This spirit received an impetus in the
centennial year of American independence, when the na-
tions of the world, and their sister states of the Union.
gathered, by representation, in the historic metropolis of
our own state, where American liberty was " both cradled
and crowned." Each endeavoring to show by striking
object lessons, not only its preeminence in material wealth,
in which rivalry Pennsylvania easily bore the palm, as well
its preeminence in history, as a factor in nation building,
8 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
in which latter claim, alas, the poverty of Pennsylvania
was only too apparent, however conscious of her merits
were many of her well informed but^ as usual, too com-
The secret why Pennsylvania was such an insignificant
figure in the recorded story of the nation's past was
then laid bare to any thoughtful individual who cared to
look into the situation.
Historiography in New England was, at that period,
over two centuries old; record-keeping and record-preserv-
ing and monument building in that locality were fixed
habits, and had been for over a hundred years. The
magnificent documentary histories of Massachusetts and
New York were treasure houses to which Bancroft and
other general historians had recourse when they told the
story of the past, and incidentally, and perhaps from the
necessity of the case, magnified the parts played by these
What of Pennsylvania's records at this time? Dr.
William Henry Egle, to whose advanced ideas and un-
selfish efforts this Society owes so much, with his co-
laborer, John Blair Linn — all honor to their patriotic
pride — were endeavoring to gather what remained of these
records, scattered, as they were, like forest leaves in the
autumn, and to print and preserve them, with the reluctant
and inadequate assistance rendered by an indifferent, but
professedly utilitarian, state law making power; confront-
ing, as these workers had to, a criminal neglect and a
carelessness, marking the past, which — pardon the repeti-
tion of the same language employed by the speaker on
another occasion, in the same connection — found " Penn-
sylvania using her state records and archives for fuel with
apparently no one to love them and care lor them but that
Address of the President. 9
sterling old Pennsylvania-German, I. Daniel Rupp, who
was laboriously copying and heroically printing, with his
sturdy comments thereon, such as came to hand. Yes,
using them as fuel, or suffering vandals to seize them to
add value to their autographic collections, or to mutilate
or to dispose of them to the paper mills of the country, to
be turned into pulp out of which paper was made, per-
chance to have printed upon it the historical works of
New York and New England."
Herein lay the shame of Pennsylvania; herein the
secret of her subordinate place in the recorded story of
American civilization. It was not that she failed in
willing workers. ^ She had her annalists, biographers and
genealogists, conscientious and painstaking, but the work
of the annalist, the biographer and genealogist is natur-
ally circumscribed in its scope, and precludes any extended
consideration of underlying principles or comprehensive
view of causes and effects.
Pennsylvanians of German descent awoke to a full ap-
preciation of this situation. From the earliest days of
the founding of the province of Penn there had been
giant forces at work for rational settlement and civiliza-
tion. The results accomplished by some of these forces
had been chronicled, but, alas, in a manner all too modest
and feeble. There was one " Sleeping Giant " and it
was time for it to awake and speak, not for its own honor
alone, not that the pride of ancestry might be gratified
in a present generation, but for the honor of Pennsylvania
and for the gratification of the patriotic pride of her
whole people, and, too, that she might be aided in assum-
ing her proper position in history. It was an idea of civic
growth aroused, to demonstrate the forceful agency of .1
particular element in the settlement and advance oi the
io The Pennsylvania-German Society.
dominant commonwealth of the new world government;
an element that was early active in the promulgation of
intelligent patriotic thought; an element that comprised, at
the period of the outbreak of the revolutionary war, fully
half the population of the state; an element that, neither
through tradition nor kinship, owed any allegiance to the
power across the sea, which was endeavoring to curtail the
liberties of the Colonists, an element which proved to be
the preponderating power which finally led Pennsylvania
to subscribe to the doctrine of separation from the mother
country; an element that substantially aided the state to
fill her army quotas in the war for independence which
followed; an element which gave to the government,
which it had so materially aided in establishing, the
most sturdy exponents and executors of timely and rational
statesmanship; the great cohesive element, the might)
bond which held in place the other elements, the American
of German descent, who, by that longing, which was a
natural inheritance, for an untrammelled government that
respected his rights; for a home and home comforts, and,
by that inborn thrift and industry which characterized
him, aided, let it be repeated, aided, most substantially, in
laying the earliest and most durable foundations of actual
settlement and de-Anglicised government in Pennsylvania.
This situation being properly understood, the Pennsyl-
vania-German Society needs no apology for its existence,
nor, to-day, can its conscientious industry be questioned,
for its well-known published archives of critical and nar-
rative history are generally recognized as legitimate and
trustworthy aids to the important study, from a philosoph-
ical standpoint, of the causes which have operated to
make Pennsylvania a dominant factor in the formation
and perpetuation of the Union of States.
Address, of the President. .11
Yet, notwithstanding the unquestioned right of this
Society to exist, and the praiseworthy character of the
work which it has accomplished, it has been, to a certain
degree, looked upon from a false viewpoint by the general
public. In the judgment of some of its most worthy
members its chosen name is held to be, in a way, responsi-
ble for this false view. Ours is not an organization of
Germans, but distinctively of Americans. It is neither
the apologist, if, one, indeed, be needed, nor yet is it
the antagonist of modern German-American citizenship,
nor has it a call to aid in promulgating or promoting, in
any particular, the language or the social, political or
economic thought or philosophy of that element. While
it is not ashamed of, but honors the language spoken
by the forefathers of its membership, and cherishes the
individual right to speak that language, or any dialect of
it, as an accomplishment, it deprecates its common use
The stranger critic, in his generalizations, notes no dis-
tinction between the several elements of early Pennsyl-
vania-German citizenship and writes, himself ignorant of
the fact that there is a wide difference to-day between a
Pennsylvania citizen of German descent and a German-
American citizen. He classes them all together and desig-
nates them by a single term — and that a misnomer —
" the Dutch," or " Pennsylvania Dutch." That general-
ization fails also, both in fairness and in truth, which
classes together the Pennsylvania-German of the churches,
largely preponderating in numbers, and the Pennsylvania-
German sectarian, and attributes to the former the peculi-
arities, in isolated lives, in habits and customs, of the
latter, and makes the latter responsible tor the distinc-
tive peculiarities of the former, slandering both by miscon-
ceived caricatures of their language.
12 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
It is, perhaps, the legitimate outcome of the tardy
awakening of the true spirit of historical investigation in
Pennsylvania; of the indifference of the people to the
teachings of the past; of their complacency in permitting
their public archives and private records and memorials to
be shamelessly emasculated, or wholly destroyed, that,
where this state and its people should occupy the first place,
and honored position as potent factors in American civili-
zation, they have been relegated to a subordinate place,
overshadowed by the- fa'ithfully gathered, loyally pre-
served, and, with due respect, sometimes exaggerated,
story of the worth and greatness of our eastern and
To the same causes, to a great extent, is due this unfair
misrepresentation of the elements of our Pennsylvania
citizenship, under discussion. Time was, and I speak
from experience, when a Pennsylvania boy was fortunate
enough to be sent for his education to a New England
college, a boon indeed, he was looked upon as a rara avis
and surprise was often manifested and expressed that he
came from " Dutch " Pennsylvania and spoke good Eng-
lish, barring his provincialisms, but after all when it came
to the use of provincialisms his New England and southern
chums could give him points and put to rout any array of
his Pennsylvanianisms, whether born of German idioms,
When the Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart made
his first hostile incursion into Pennsylvania, it was spoken
of by his men as a raid upon the " Dutch," and when his
forces returned to Virginia from that very successful ex-
pedition, they talked of the " Dutch " horses and wagons
they had captured. Moreover, their first night in ^\\:n\\
after their return, was given up to merrymaking in a
Address of the President. 13
neighboring barn, a chief feature of which was an impro-
vised theatrical performance, called " The Pennsylvania
Dutchman and His Wife," in which General Stuart him-
self took a prominent part. A common item in the requi-
sitions which the southern armies were accustomed to
make upon the captured Pennsylvania towns was for so
many " hogsheads of sauer kraut."
Whilst we may be amused at, and look with some
degree of forbearance upon, the absurd criticism of our
misinformed neighbors, what can be said of the loyal
spirit and state pride of the native Pennsylvanian, M to the
manner born," who will lend arms to the assailants of his
people's honor, who will dishonor the blood that Hows
in his own veins? ■ ■ •> ■■ ■
A facile pen, by superficial historical illusion, by some
knowledge of local settings, by ridiculous exaggeration
in dialect painting, may sometimes, for the purposes of
lurid fiction, valuable only from a commercial stand-
point, create' characters "such as are found nowhere.' 1
These may amuse and do but little harm, but when the
intelligent wielder of a more virile pen, theretofore accus-
tomed to praiseworthy uses only, is enticed into a new
field of activity and presents for publication, in connection
with well established facts, and under the guise of facts,
generalizations almost indecent in phraseology, wholl\
unfair and intemperate in tone and a biting libel of a gen-
eral nature upon a large element of the citizenship of his
native state, to which he himself is akin, without distinc-
tion and without analysis, who may fathom the depth of
the misleading, among those willing to be misled, or
rightly calculate the measure of the harm done?
And now, my friends, will you permit me, in conclusion,
to urge you to renewed activity in the practical work of
14 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
this organization? You need not again to be reminded
of the importance of preserving and marking old land-
marks and historic sites and of aiding jand encouraging the
work of all existing historical societies and inducing the
formation of new ones, if possible. I call your attention
particularly to the Pennsylvania Federation of Historical
Societies as an agency which bids fair to prove preeminent
in the work of advancing the interests of local history.
My parting word to you will be the suggestion, if you
will permit it, that your Executive Committee take up for
consideration, in the near future, the feasibility of for-
mulating a plan of correspondence between our society
and kindred societies, working along similar lines in Penn-
sylvania, which will have in view, not only cooperation
in routine work, but will look in the near future for the
joint meeting of all cognate societies, at the same time
and place, at least annually, for united conferences and
for united work for the honor of Pennsylvania.
I thank you for your patient hearing.
Following the address of the president came the annual
reports of the secretary and treasurer.
To the Officers and Members of the Pennsyl-
Gentlemen: In making my usual annual report 1 am
glad to be able to announce the continued prosperity o(
Volume XVI. of our publications is now in the hands
of our members. It contains much data ot value ami,
it is trusted, meets with the approval of those who have
read it. The delay in its appearance was through no
Secretary's Report. 15
fault of your Executive Committee, nor of those in charge
of its publication, but was entirely owing to a series of un-
fortuitous and unpreventable circumstances, principal
among which was a continued strike of the printers spread-
ing over a considerable territory. All the material for
reprints of Vols^ I., II., III. .and VI., together with all
manuscript copy for Vol. XVII., is now in the publisher*!
hands. The two first volumes are about ready for issue
and the others will be urged forward with all possible
All thoughtful persons who have been interested in the
history of the Pennsylvania-Germans and have read, with
any care, the publications of this society, must have been
struck before this, with the fact that not only have these
sturdy and worthy people achieved great deeds, with
lasting results in their own home, Pennsylvania, but that,
besides these comparatively local achievements, they have
branched out into the regions beyond, and, with their
influence, have aided most materially in the great develop-
ment of our entire country. Large parts of Virginia and
Maryland are filled with Pennsylvania-Germans having 1
noble history behind them. They occupy many oi the
states beyond the Allegheny Mountains and the Ohio
River; they are to be found in the South, and have grad-
ually spread to the far west.
Taking these facts into consideration your Secretary
begs to ask the members of the Pennsylvania-German
Society whether the time has not come for it to be some-
what more aggressive and for it to cover not only a part
of the field which belongs to it, as it has already so well
done in past years, but to occupy the whole territory.
The great fault of our fathers was an ultra conservatism,
and a failure to properly and rightfully assert themselves
io The Pennsylvania-German Society.
and their worthy deeds. In this one respect we, their
children, dare not tread in their footsteps.
With a view of properly carrying out this idea I beg
to offer, for your thoughtful consideration, the advisability
of establishing, in every suitable state of the Union,
branch societies of our parent stock. Let there be a gen-
eral Pennsylvania-German Society, with a Virginia Branch
of the Pennsylvania-German Society, a Maryland Branch,
an Ohio Branch, etc., to completion. Let each Branch
have its President, Secretary, Treasurer and Executive
Committee, to arrange for local gatherings, enlist mem-
bers for the respective Branches, and do such other things
as would appropriately belong to such organization. The
officers of the parent Society could be known as President-
General, Treasurer-General, Secretary-General and Gen-
eral Executive Committee. Each Branch would be en-
titled to representation on the General Executive Commit-
tee, whose duty, as now, would be to get out the main
publications of the society and to have a general oversight
of its welfare. There would be a grand Annual Meeting
and a general home-gathering each year.
I need not enlarge on this proposed plan which would
be modeled after others already in existence which have
proven eminently successful. My firm belief is that,
with such an organization, there would be aroused so
great an interest that our numbers might well increase
from the 500 of the present to a possible 5,000 in the
future, and that this Society would speedily become not
only the useful body which it now is but would attain the
national prominence which it deserves, and would, therein,
so much the more succeed in the object for which it is
striving, that of bringing before the public, in I proper
and truthful manner, the honorable deeds of men who
Secretary's Report. 17
have too long been denied the praise and credit which
rightly belongs to them.
At our last annual meeting, on November 2, 1906, the
following resolution was offered by the Hon. Robt. K.
Buehrle, Ph.D., which was referred to the Executive
Committee for consideration, to be reported by them, with
their recommendation, to the society at its present annual
" Resolved: 1 *— That the Executive Committee report to
the society, at its annual meeting in 1907, as to the advis-
ability of the society taking action looking to the securing
of a suitable Pennsylvania-German anthology, and as to
the best manner of proceeding in case such action be
taken." 1 :
After a lengthy and careful consideration of the sub-
ject the Executive Committee came to the conclusion that
such anthology would be quite desirable if of a carefully
selected character, to form a preliminary work of say
150 to 200 pages, and serving as an example of the better
productions from the pens of our people. To make this
book of a creditable character necessitates an editor in
every way qualified for the work, and the Committee has
selected the Rev. J. Max Hark, D.D., of Bethlehem, Pa.,
as a gentleman eminently adapted for such compilation.
They ask the. approval, by the Society, of their action and
The total membership of the society now foots up 474.
There have been 19 new members received during the
year, and 7 have died. Respectfully,
H. M. M. Richards,
, 01 Secretary*
i8 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Gentlemen of the Pennsylvania-German Society:
Your Treasurer begs leave to report that during the
past fiscal year there have been received:
Dues account— 1906 and 1907 $ 633.00
Dues account — 1908 624.00
For books sold 105.25
Interest on life fund 20.00
Cash from Secretary 10.72
Balance in Bank October, 1906 1,831.15
Cr. by vouchers paid 1)589.38
Leaving a cash balance to credit of the Society
Cash, general fund $1,604.74
Cash, life fund 30.00
500 E. and P. Bond 500.00
All of which is respectfully submitted.
Julius F. Saciise,
Philadelphia, November 4, 1907.
The report of the Treasurer was referred to an audit-
ing committee consisting of James M. Lamberton, Alt red
Percival Smith and George B. Kulp, esquires, who subse-
quently reported that they had duly audited the same and
found it to be correct.
Historical Papers. 19
Action on Resolution of Dr. Buehrle.
The Executive Committee reported that they had duly
considered the resolution offered at the last annual meet-
ing, by the Hon. Robert K. Buehrle, Ph.D., of Lancaster,
relative to the securing of a suitable Pennsylvania-Ger-
man Anthology, and recommended that the editing of this
work be left in the hands of the Rev. J. Max Hark, D.D.,
of Bethlehem, who was especially qualified for it and had
consented to undertake it.
To this the society, on motion, gave approval.
Election of Officers.
The nomination and election of officers for the ensuing
year then took place, with the following result: President
Hon. John Wanamaker, of Philadelphia; Vice-Presidents,
James McCormick Lamberton, Esq., of Harrisburg, and
Carl Hess Niemeyer, C.E., of Wall, Allegheny County,
Pa.; Treasurer, Julius F. Sachse, Litt.D., of Philadel-
phia; Executive Committee, Thomas C. Zimmerman,
L.H.D., of Reading, and Abraham S. Schropp, Esq., of
The Hon. John Wanamaker, being present, upon noti-
fication of his election to the presidency was pleased to
accept the position and express his appreciation of the
honor conferred upon him in a most fitting and interesting
Having disposed of the business pertaining to the meet-
ing those present were privileged to listen to the reading
of the following most excellent and valuable historical
papers: " The Contribution of Pennsylvania-German
Lutherans to the Higher Education," by Rev. Frederick
20 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Gebhart Gotwald, York, Pa.; " Harbaugh's Harfe," by
Ulysses Sidney Koons, Esq., Philadelphia, Pa.; "Ameri-
can History in German Archives,"4Dy Maj. Joseph G. Ros-
engarten, LL.D., Philadelphia, Pa.; "Wayside Inns on
the Lancaster Road," by Julius Friedrich Sachse, Litt.D.,
Philadelphia, Pa.; "Contributions of the Pennsylvania-
German to Science," by David Hendricks Bergey, M.D.,
The afternoon was spent by the members in sight-see-
ing and general recreation.
The annual banquet, a most delightful and successful
affair in every respect, was held at 7.00 P. M., in the
Hotel Walton, corner of Broad and Locust Streets, pre-
ceded by an informal reception.
The attendance was large; the menu and music ex-
cellent; the addresses most interesting. The toast master
of the evening, James M. Lamberton, Esq., most ably
presided. The topics and speakers were as follows:
" The Pennsylvania-German on the Bench and at the Bar,"
by Hon. Harman Yerkes; " The Pennsylvania-German as
a Banker," by William Luther Gorgas; " Pennsylvania-
German Childhood on the Farm," by Henry S. Born em a 11 ;
"The Pennsylvania-German in Science," by David Hen-
dricks Bergey, M.D.; " Why I am a Pennsylvania-Dutch-
man," by Oliver S. Henninger.
In Memoriam. 23
Dr. Samuel T. Davis.
Dr. Samuel T. Davis was born March 6, 1838, near
Cottage, West Township, Huntingdon County, Pa. He
was son of Henry Davis, b. 18 14, d. 1897, who was son
of Louis Davis, b. 1782, d. 1862. His mother was
Catharine Walheater, b. 18 18, who was daughter of
Henry Walheater, d. ab. 1863, who was grandson of
Hans George Walheater. His maternal ancestor came
from Germany to this country in 175 1.
His inclination was, at an early age, towards the medi-
cal profession. His studies in this direction were, at first,
under the preceptorship of Dr. Orlady, of Huntingdon
County. Later he attended the Mooresville Collegiate
Institute and graduated from the Millersville State Nor-
mal School. He then taught school for a while, but, at
the outbreak of the Civil War, his patriotic impulses led
him to enlist in Company H, 15th Regt. Penna. Vols.,
in which he served for three months. At the expiration
of this term he reenlisted as Second Lieutenant in Com-
pany C, 77th Regt. Penna. Vols. At the organization
of the regiment he was appointed and commissioned as its
adjutant. Later, he was made acting assistant adjutant
general of the brigade and served in that capacity until
his regiment recruited as veterans when he was commis-
sioned as Captain of Company G, a Welsh company from
Scranton. He was wounded at both Chickamauga and
Resaca, at the latter place lying on the battle-field for five
24 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
days. After being in the Chattanooga Hospital for three
months he was honorably discharged in 1864.
After the war he continued his medical studies with
Dr. S. B. Hartman, at Millersville, and, after attending
one course at the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia,
he graduated at the Long Island Medical College in 1865.
For the succeeding nine years he was in practice alone at
Millersville, but, in 1874, moved to Lancaster, Pa., where
for the next eleven years, he practiced with his brother,
Dr. M. L. Davis, after which the partnership was dis-
solved, and he removed to the location on North Prince
Street which he occupied until his decease.
He attained considerable distinction in his profession.
In July, 1889, ne was appointed president of the State
Board of Health, and reappointed to the same position
in July, 1893. He was a member of the Lancaster City
and County Medical Society, of which he was one time
president; of the City Pathological Society, in which he
held office, and of the American Medical Association, of
which he was an original member. He attended, as a
member, the Pan-American Medical Congress which met
in Chicago in 1893, an( ^ m e ^ery branch of his pro-
fession was fully abreast of modern schools and methods.
His specialty was surgery.
In politics he was a strong Republican, and served in
the Common Council of Lancaster, for a continuous period
of five years, during which time he was honored by elec-
tion to its presidency. In 1885 he was elected a member
of the State Legislature, and, in 1887, returned by one of
the largest majorities ever given by the city.
He was naturally much attached to the cause of the
" old soldier." He was a member of the Grand Army of
the Republic, the Union Veteran Legion, and the Military
Order Loyal Legion, and served for a number of years
as a member of the Pension Examining Board.
He was also an active Mason, and took his thirty-sec-
ond degree in the Scottish Rite. He served as Thrice
Potent Grand Master in the Lodge of Perfection. Of a
charitable nature, he was thoroughly wrapped up in the
interests of the Henry G. Long Home for Aged Women,
being one of, its trustees and, latterly, president of the
board. He was one of the organizers and president of
the Greenwood Cernetery Association.
His great delight was in hunting big game. A few
years ago he published a book on " Caribou Hunting
in Newfoundland." His decease occurred October 23,
1908, near Pacheco, Mexico, while on a hunting trip in
that locality with his intimate friend, Mr. A. C. Kepler.
He became • a member of the Pennsylvania-German
Society on January 18, 1898.
H. M. M. R.
26 The Pennsylvania^German Society.
Hon. James Nevin Ermentrout.
Hon. James Nevin Ermentrout was born October 25,
1846, at Reading, Pa., and came from an old and prom-
inent Berks County family.
He was son of William Ermentrout, b. December 12,
I 799> d. January 21, 1880 (m. Justina Silvis, b. June
9, 1804, d. January 12, 1882), who was son of John
Ermentrout, b. April 27, 1777, d. March 27, 1851 (m.
Maria Magdalena Moyer), who was son of Christopher
Ermentrout, b. February 8, 1754, d. April 5, 1825, who
was son of John Ermentrout who emigrated to Pennsyl-
vania from the German Palatinate, August, 1739. The
family is still represented in the German nobility.
His education was in the public schools of Reading, Pa.
After graduation from the high school, June, 1862, he
taught in the Berks County Schools, 1862-63, tncn he-
came instructor in Latin, Greek and mathematics at the
Tuscarora Academy, Juniata County, 1864-65. In 1S65-
66 he was principal of the English Department of St.
John's Lutheran Parochial School, Reading, and for two
years after, 1866-68, served as deputy superintendent of
the public schools of Berks County under his brother, John
While thus engaged he studied law in the office of his
brother, Daniel, who, for a number of years, was State
Senator and, later, Member of Congress. Having been
admitted to the Berks County bar on November 27, 1867,
the two brothers entered into partnership and built up a
very large practice.
In 1885 he was nominated for judge and elected by a
large majority; in 1895 ne was renominated and again
elected, and, in 1905, he was reelected for the third term
to expire 19 16. He served as Additional Law Judge of
the 23d Judicial District, Berks County, Pa., 1 886-1 890,
and as President Judge from that time until his death,
which occurred suddenly on the afternoon of Wednesday,
August 19, ,1908.
He became a member of the Pennsylvania-German
Society on January 12, 1894.
H. M. M. R.
28 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Charles Buffington Fager, Sr., M.D.
Charles Buffington Fager, M.D., was born in Harris-
burg, Pa., on March 31, 1841, the son of John H.
Fager, M.D. (May, 1806-August, 1872), and Mary
H. Buffington, who was son of John Fager (June 10,
1768-May 10, 1848), who was son of Jacob Fager,
born in Germany near Saar-brucken (June 1, 1738 — De-
cember 10, 18 15), who was son of Henry Fager, born in
Germany, February 14, 17 14. Henry Fager emigrated
to America, from Nassau, Germany, about 1754, and
Jacob Fager about 1759.
He was educated in the public schools of Harrisburg
and, in time took up the study of medicine. In 1862 he
was appointed a medical cadet in the U. S. Service and,
in 1864, made a contract assistant surgeon; in 1866-67
he was appointed vaccine physician for Harrisburg, and
gradually acquired a large practice in that city. He was
a graduate of the Medical Department, University of
Pennsylvania, in 1864, and one of the founders oi the
Homoeopathic Medical Society of Dauphin County in
For many years Dr. Fager served as a school director
of Harrisburg, and, for several terms, was president of its
School Board. He was a director of the Harrisburg Na-
tional Bank and West Harrisburg Market House Com-
pany, also a member of the Dauphin County Historical
Society. He was elected to membership in the Pennsyl-
vania-German Society on October 24, 1901.
Dr. Fager was married to Susan A. Hummel, daughter
of Valentine Hummel of Harrisburg.
His decease occurred on January 17, 1908.
H. M. M. R.
3° The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Philip Wetzel Flores.
Philip Wetzel Flores was born August 9, 1832, near
the village of Dillingersville, in Upper Milford Township
(now Lower Milford) of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.
He was the fourth child and only living son of Peter
Heiser Flores (March 20, 1792-October 1, 1865), who
was a weaver and farmer, owning a part of the ancestral
farm and who married, March 26, 1826, Elizabeth (July
22, 1804-July 11, 1889), oldest daughter of Philip
His grandfather, Johann Michael Flores (March 14,
1756-March 14, 1799), inherited the family farm, and
was a farmer and blacksmith. He was a member of the
Lutheran church, and participated, as a private, in the
Revolutionary War. He was married to Anna Maria
Heiser (February 22, 1756-June 11, 1836). lie was
the fifth child and oldest son of his father.
His great-grandfather, Michael Flores, was born in
Wittenberg, Germany, emigrated to America in 1745.
with his wife, Maria Elizabeth, and died in 1785. The
family was originally of Spanish descent, the ancestors
emigrating from Spain into Germany years before.
Upon arrival in Pennsylvania he settled near the present
village of Dillingersville, Lehigh County, where he t
up 137 acres of land and followed the occupation oi far-
mer and blacksmith. He was a leading member oi the
original Upper Milford Lutheran congregation.
In Memoriam. 31
On the maternal side Mr. Flores was a grandson of
Philip Truckenmiller Wetzel (December 25, 1773-Jan-
uary 27, 1863), who was a wheelwright and farmer, and
a member of the Reformed church. He married Eliza-
beth Schaub (April 9, 1783-February 23, 1 87 1 ) , daugh-
ter of Hans Schaub. His great-grandfather was Hans
Wetzel, who emigrated in 1764 from the Palatinate to
America, and married Catharine, daughter of Sebastian
Obliged, as he was to work on his father's farm
during his youth, Mr. Flores grew up a farmer with but
such an education as he was able to acquire in the common
schools of the vicinity. Notwithstanding what he lacked
in opportunity his taste for literature led him to do much
reading and he became an exceptionally well informed
man of his day. During his life time he succeeded in
gathering about him a well-stocked library, many books of
which were both old and rare. He became one of the
foremost historians of Lehigh County and was the first
vice-president of the Lehigh County Historical Society.
He wrote various interesting historical sketches for " Skiz-
zen aus dem Lecha Thai," published by Trexler & 1 lart-
zell, Allentown, 1880-86, and is the author of the 44 1 1 i s-
tory of Lower and Upper Milford," in the 4i History
of Lehigh and Carbon Counties," published by Fvarts
& Richard, Philadelphia, 1884.
Mr. Flores served during the Civil War from Novem-
ber 7, 1862, to August 18, 1863, as Second Lieutenant
in Co. K, 176th Regt. P. D. M. He was assistant
Assessor of U. S. Internal Revenue of the 4th Division,
6th District, Pa., 1864-67; Postmaster of Dillingersville,
1866-87; Census Enumerator for Lower Milford town-
ship in 1890. He was a member of the Coopersburg
32 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Lodge, No. 390, I. O. O. F., and was confirmed a mem-
ber of the Reformed Church in November, 1854, by the
Rev. John B. Poerner, in which he was always active in
church, sunday-school and mission affairs.
On January 1, 1866, Mr. Flores married Lucetta La-
rosch, daughter of Israel Larosch, of French Huguenot
descent, by whom he had four children, three daughters
and one son.
His death, the result of paralysis, occurred suddenly
on Thursday, February 27, 1908. He was elected to
membership in the Pennsylvania-German Society on April
H. M. M. R.
In Memoriam. 33
Frank Wildbahn Hanold.
Frank Wildbahn Hanold was born April 22, 1855, in
Reading, Pa., the son of Lewis Jacobi Hanold, b. August
17, 1 8 1 5, d. January 9, 1895, who was son of Mary
(Wildbahn) Hanold, b. June 24, 179 1, d. March 20,
1 879, who was daughter of Thomas Gottlob Wildbahn,
b. July 19, 1763, d. 1805, in Philadelphia during the
yellow fever epidemic, who was son of the Rev. Charles
Frederick Wildbahn, D.D., b. December 2, 1733, d. Jan-
uary 31, 1804.
His great-great-grandfather, Rev. Charles Frederick
Wildbahn, D.D., was a resident of Ruhla, a village in
Saxe-Weimar and Saxe-Coburg, on the Suhlbach, seven
miles south, south-east from Eisenach, whence he came to
this country in 1756 as a soldier in the French and Indian
War. He was a man of education, so being obliged to re-
linquish his military life because of physical weakness, he
took up his residence in Philadelphia preparatory to enter-
ing the Lutheran ministry. On July 12, 1762, he was mar-
ried to Miss Anna Maria Schaeffer, born September 21).
1744, in Adams County, Pa. In this same year he was
sent by the Pennsylvania Synod on a mission to Winchester.
Virginia, but, because of Indian troubles, was soon forced
to leave there and filled various missions at Woodstock,
Va., Hanover and York, Pa., remaining until July, 17 s -
when, in response to a call extended him March 30, 1782,
he moved to Reading, Pa., where he was installed as pas-
34 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
tor of Trinity Lutheran congregation, preaching his first
sermon on July 28, 1782. Here he continued until Nov-
ember 23, 1796, when he went to Frederick, Md., for a
short time, thence, also for a short time, to Virginia, re-
turning to Reading, Pa., where he filled various country
charges until called to Centre Square, Montgomery
County, Pa. Here he died January 31, 1804, and lies
buried in the grave-yard of his charge, the Grog Hill
Church, now St. John's Lutheran Church of Centre
His grandmother, Mary Wildbahn, married John
Hanold in 18 12, who came to America from Germany
about the close of the eighteenth century, lived in New
Orleans fifteen or more years where he amassed a fortune,
then came to Reading, Pa., and engaged in mercantile
business until his death in 1847.
His father, Lewis Jacobi Hanold, carried on the busi-
ness of John Hanold for some three years, when he
entered the Farmers' Bank at Reading, Pa. Here he
served for an unbroken period of forty-four years until
his decease, noted for his business capacity and strict in-
tegrity. His associate, as cashier, during many of these
years, was that grand Christian gentleman, Dr. Hiester 1 1.
His mother was Amanda Craig, who was daughter of
Joseph Craig, b. May 2, 1780, d. May 13, i860, ami
wife Maria, nee Van der Beak, b. December 28, 1783,
d. April 21, 1863 (descendant of Andrew Van der Beak,
from Holland, private New Jersey Militia in Revolu-
tionary War), who was son of Robert Craig, b. Novem-
ber 15, 1734, d. October 6, 1797, and wife Elizabeth,
nee Taylor, d. August 6, 1830, who was son of Moses
Craig, b. 1702, d. July 31, 1777, of Lamington, Somerset
In Memoriam. 35
County, N. J., private New Jersey Militia in Revolution-
ary War, who came to this country from the north of
Mr. Hanold was a prominent business man of Reading,
being engaged for some years in the sale of coal, coke
and sand, and, latterly, as president of the Hampden
He had been ah active member of the Wyomissing and
Berkshire Country Clubs, and was actively identified with
the First Presbyterian Church.
His death, which was sudden, occurred at 3.10 P. M.
on Thursday, January 7, 1909, at his home, 615 Centre
Avenue, Reading, Pa., from heart disease. He is sur-
vived by his wife Mary, nee Stein, and a son, Stein Wild-
bahn, as well as by two single sisters, Amelia and Mary,
all of Reading, Pa. '
He was elected to membership in the Pennsylvania-
German Society on July 18, 1895.
H. M. M. R.
" • 1 • : < " ft ■
3& The Pennsylvania-German Society.
William A. Kelker.
William A. Kelker was born in Harrisburg, Pa., on
September 20, 1853. He was son of Rudolph F. Kelker
born, Harrisburg, February 17, 1820, died October,
1906; who was son of Frederick Kelker, born, Lebanon,
October 29, 1780, died, Harrisburg, July 12, 1857; who
was son of Anthony Kelker, born, Herrliberg, Canton
Zurich, Switzerland, December 30, 1733, died, Lebanon,
March 12, 18 12, served during the Revolutionary War
as 1st Lieutenant, 2d Company, Colonel Greenawalt's
battalion of Lancaster County Associators, August 28,
1775, 1st Lieutenant Lancaster County Militia, May 7.
1777, Wagon-Master June 19, 1778, also Sheriff of Dau-
phin County, 1785, and member of the House of Repre-
sentatives, 1793-94. Anthony was son of Henry Kelker,
baptized July 12, 1705, died, Lebanon County, 1762,
who was son of Henry Kelker, born, Canton Zurich,
Switzerland, baptized November 22, 1685, died, Canton
Zurich, 1753. The original Kelker immigrants arrived
in this country late in the winter of 1743-4.
His mother was Mary Anne Reily, born, Mycrstown.
September 30, 1820, died, Harrisburg, August 27, [fl
who was the daughter of Salome Valentine, born [800,
died, Harrisburg, May 23, 1866.
Mr. Kelker was a noted collector of Indian relics, -
far as they related to the tribes of the Susquehanna River
valley, and of first imprints of books published in 1 1 arris-
burg, Pa. On these Indian relics he has been quoted IS
an authority by the Smithsonian Institution.
In Memoriam. 37
During his searches after Indian arrow-heads, axes,
etc., which began with his boyhood days, he developed a
latent taste for the things of nature. As a result of this,
more than a quarter of a century ago, since 1872, he began
to record much natural phenomena, such as daily observa-
tions on the weather in his vicinity, the first appearance in
the spring of flowers, birds and insects, and other items
of interest. These records became so valuable as to at-
tract the attention of the U. S. Weather Bureau which
requested copies of the same. General Greeley, then at
the head of . the bureau, wrote in the following compli-
mentary manner to Mr, Kelker concerning them: " They
are the best amateur records, and I have examined many,
that I have ever seen."
It was while on a ramble through the country near
Linglestown, taking note of the first appearance of spring,,
that he suddenly expired, from heart disease, at 4.45
P. M. on Saturday, February 15, 1908. He is survived
by one brother, Luther R. Kelker, chief of the Division
of Public Records of the State Library.
Mr. Kelker's education took place in the public schools
and at the Harrisburg Academy. He was a vice-presi-
dent of the Dauphin County Historical Society, and, for
years, its librarian and custodian of records. He became
a member of the Pennsylvania-German Society on January
, ! H. M. M. R.
38 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Dr. John Peter Keller.
Dr. John Peter Keller IV., one of Harrisburg's most
prominent citizens, president of the Dauphin County
Historical Society, and at one time a facile writer of his-
torical sketches, reminiscences and local incidents, died at
his home, 37 North Second Street, Monday evening,
December 23, 1907, in the seventy-sixth year of his age.
Dr. Keller had been in poor health for over a year, and
his condition had been critical since September last. He
suffered from organic heart disease, which in the last few
months was complicated by a general breaking down of
his physical powers. All the members of the family
were with him at the time of his death with the exception
of his son, Christian K. Keller, of the art department of
ithe Philadelphia Inquirer, who arrived next morning.
Dr. John P. Keller IV., a life-long resident of this city,
was born February 20, 1831, and was a representative
of two of the oldest families in Harrisburg. His mater-
nal grandfather, Christian Kunkel, who came here from
York County in 1786 when Harrisburg was a compara-
tive wilderness and swamp, became a highly successful
merchant and a leader in the enterprises of the day, 1 le
purchased many large farms contiguous to Harrisburg.
most of which have now become parts oi" the built up por-
tions of our city. He died in 1823.
The first ancestor of whom we have any knowledge
was his paternal great-great-grandfather, Johann Peter
In Memoriam. 39
Keller I., born in Zurich, Switzerland. He emigrated to
America in 1735, bringing with him his fourteen-year-old
son, Carl Andrew Keller, settling in Lancaster, Pa.
His paternal grandfather, John P. Keller II., came
from Lancaster to Harrisburg on horseback in 1796 and
engaged in brass founding and rope-making, and filled
many public positions, being at the time of his death,
in 1859, the last of the original directors of the Harris-
burg Bank. ,..
His father, John P. Keller III., was born in Harris-
burg in 1808 and conducted a hardware store at Second
and Walnut Streets in the present Keller homestead. 1 Ie
died at an early age.
John P., Keller IV. attended several private schools,
but when the 1" Lancastrian " school on Walnut Street was
established he attended this school. Later he finished his
education at the Harrisburg Academy.
He spent several years as clerk in his uncle's store at
Shippensburg, and in 1849 ne began the study of dentistry
and built up a large practice, but on account of ill health
in 1866 he partially relinquished the work and opened a
housefurnishing store, at that time a new idea in Harris-
burg. The store became well known in this city and
vicinity. He retired from active business in 1887.
i Early in life he connected himself with Zion Lutheran
Church, in which church his parents and grandparents
were deeply interested and were leaders in helping to
found and establish. During the greater part of the
time he was a member of the vestry of the church, and
was an elder at the time of his death, as well as a teacher
and officer of the Sunday-school. Together with the late
William Sayford he was largely instrumental in securing
funds and placing the chime of bells in /inn's steeple, their
4° The Pennsylvania-German Society.
names being cast on each bell. He was frequently elected
a lay delegate to represent the church in the East Penn-
sylvania Synods, and also a delegate to the General Synod
of the United States, held at Allegheny, Pa. He served
several terms on the board of directors of the theological
seminary at Gettysburg, and for years was member of the
board of directors of the Lutheran Observer, serving as
such at the time of his death.
Since the inception of the Dauphin County Historical
Society he has been an interested member, for many
years chairman of the executive committee, and upon the
death of Hon. J. W. Simonton was elected president,
which office he retained until his death.
He was also one of the originators of the Pennsyl-
vania-German Society and at one time vice-president.
Greatly interested, he attended all the annual meetings
in the various cities except two in later years. It was
while he was vice-president that the Harrisburg meeting
took place in 1901. He was elected in January, 1895, a
member of the Sons of the Revolution, and was the last
surviving charter member of the Young Men's Christian
Association of the city, and filled all the offices, except
president, in its early history.
For years he has been a member of the board ot the
West Harrisburg Market House Company, and was a
charter member of the Harrisburg Chapter, No. 2.
Knights of Honor.
Dr. Keller was married June 20, 1861, to Emdine II.
Croll, daughter of the late John Croll, of Middletown,
who survives him, together with the following children:
John P. Keller, Jr., Croll Keller, C. K. Keller, Jr., Wil-
liam L. Keller, and Helen L. Keller; also his brother,
Christian K. Keller, the oldest druggist in Harrisburg.
,is y In Memoriam. 41
Dr. Keller was an authority on early history in 1 1 a r-
risburg and interesting stories and data frequently ap-
peared in the Harrisburg Telegraph.
The funeral services were held on Thursday afternoon,
December 26, 1907, at three o'clock, by Rev. S. Winrield
Herman, pastor of Zion Lutheran Church, with interment
private in the Harrisburg cemetery.
It was his express wish that his four sons carry him
from the home he lived in all his life to his last resting
place. As the funeral passed Zion Lutheran Church the
chimes pealed forth several of his favorite hymns.
The honorary pall-bearers were Major J. B. Keefer
and Theo. B. Kline, two of his boyhood companions; C,
A. Kunkel, president of Zion Lutheran Church vestry; B.
M. Nead, Esq., president of the Pennsylvania-German
Society; Levi B. Alricks, Esq., and Wm. A. Kelker, mem-
bers of the Dauphin County Historical Society; and M.
G. Potts, a representative of the West Harrisburg Market
4 2 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
Henry Albright Klock, M.D.
Dr. Henry Albright Klock was born August 16, 1848,
in Eldred township, Schuylkill County, Pa. He was son
of Joseph Klock (November 29, 1824-May 26, 1865),
who was son of Peter R. Klock (December 20, 1798-
October 26, 1869), who was son of John Peter Klock
(September 13, 1771-December 18, 1846), who was son
of John Peter Klock (January 1, 1743-December 9,
18 18). His mother was Magdalena Hepler (December
12, 1825-March 23, 1904), dau. of Henry Hepler
(May 12, 1795-July 5, 1864), who was son of John
Casper Hepler (May 20, 1751-December 27, 1816).
He was one of the leading citizens and practicing phy-
sicians of Schuylkill County, and was prominently identi-
fied with several of the leading secret societies of the
State, among them the P. O. S. of A., and Odd Fellows.
His death took place, unexpectedly, on Saturday, Feb-
ruary 1, 1908. He is survived by a wife and two sons,
both of whom are likewise physicians. He resided in
Mahanoy City, Pa.
Dr. Klock was elected to membership in the Pennsyl-
vania-German Society on July 17, 1906.
H. M. M. R.
THE PENNSYLVANIA-GERMAN SOCIETY.
REV. J. MORTIMER LEVERING, D. D.
BORN JANUARY 20, 1849. DIED APRIL 4, 1908.
In Memoriam. 43
Rt. Rev. Joseph Mortimer Levering, D.D.
Rt. Rev. Joseph Mortimer Levering, D.D., Bishop of
the Moravian Church, was born February 20, 1849, at
Hamburg, Hardin County, Tenn. He was son of Lewis
Alexander Levering, b. September 28, 1826, who was son
of Charles Joseph Levering, January 23, 1795-January
27, 1877, w ^o was son of Joseph Levering, March 28,
1755-June 6, 1797, who was son of Susannah Bechtel,
February 22, 1730-August 10, 1783, who was daughter
of John Bechtel, October 3, 1690-April 16, 1777, and
wife, Appolonia Marrett.
John Bechtel was born in Weinheim of the Palatinate,
emigrated from Heidelberg, came to America in October,
1726, and settled in Germantown, Pa., where he officiated
some years as a lector of the German Reformed Church.
Later, he joined the Moravian church and was ordained
a deacon by Bishop David Nitschmann in 1746. His
house was the first lodging place of Count Zinzendorf in
Germantown in 1741, and in this house the first Moravian
school for girls in America was opened in May, 1742.
In that year a catechism for the scattered members of
the German Reformed Church, prepared by Count Zin-
zendorf, was published under Bechtel's name and printed
by Franklin. His daughter Susannah was married to
John Levering on May 19, 1748, who was a grandson
of Gerhard, or Garret, Levering, one of the two brothers
who originally settled at Germantown. They engaged in
Moravian school work until 1759 when they went as mis-
44 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
sionaries to the West Indies. Levering died August 19,
1764, in Jamaica. His widow married Rev. John Merck,
returned to the West Indies and died on the island of
On his maternal slae Bishop Levering was the son of
Sophia Theresa Hauser, who was daughter of Rev. Mar-
tin Hauser, September 23, 1799-October 25, 1875, who
was son of Abraham Hauser, August 20, 1762-December
27, 18 19, who was son of Martin Hauser, born at Mum-
pelgard, Baden, Germany, and came to America in 1735.
Although born in a non-Moravian community, his par-
ents were Moravians, and the family is one of the his-
toric Moravian families. With his parents he moved to
the Moravian settlement at West Salem, 111., in 1852,
and lived there until, 1856, when they moved to Olney,
111., where at that time there was a Moravian congrega-
tion, since given up, j.. j
There he attended public and private schools, and pur-
sued an advance, course of study, preparing himself for
college. He entered the Moravian College and Theo-
logical Seminary at Bethlehem, Pa., in 1870, and gradu-
ated in 1874. H^ s classmates were the Rev. Charles
Kraemer, the Rev. ^Robert W. Herbst, both of whom
have died, and the Rev. William H. Oerter, pastor of the
Moravian Church at Lebanon, Pa. He taught at Naz-
areth Llall one term, and on December 20, KS74, he was
ordained a deacon of the Moravian Church at Bethlehem.
Pa., by the late Bishop Edmund de Schweinitz, S.T.D.
On January 3, 1875, he assumed charge of the Moravian
congregation at Uhrichsville, Ohio, which had been or-
ganized the preceding October, he thus becoming its first
pastor, and during his pastorate the church edifice was
In Memoriam. 45
On May 21, 1876, at Nazareth, Pa., during the Pro-
vincial Synod, he was ordained a presbyter of the Mora-
vian Church by the late Bishop A. A. Reinke, and after the
adjournment of Synod he was married at Bethlehem, Pa.,
to Miss Martha Whitesell, a very efficient teacher of
the Moravian Parochial School. In 1879 he was called
to take charge of the Moravian congregation at Lake
Mills, Wis., the largest congregation of the Moravian
Church in the Fourth District, and began his work there
on April 27 of that year, remaining until 1883. Prom
there he was called to the pastorate of the Bethlehem
Moravian congregation, entering upon his duties on Octo-
ber 28, 1883. He continued to hold this office for the
almost unprecedented period of eighteen years, when long-
continued ill health compelled him to seek relief in tempo-
rary retirement in the summer of 1901.
While pastor at Bethlehem he filled various other
positions. After the death of Bishop de Schweinitz on
December 18, 1887, he was elected to fill his unexpired
term as member of the Provincial Elders' Conference, the
Executive Board of the Moravian Church, and so served
from March to September, 1888. At the Provincial
Synod held that month at Bethlehem, Pa., he was elected l
bishop of the Moravian Church, and with Bishop Clement
L. Reinke, was the last American bishop, whose election
was confirmed by the use of the apostolic lot. 1 Ie was con-
secrated at Bethlehem, Pa., on September 30, 1 8 S S . by
the late Bishops A. A. Reinke and H. J. Van Yleck.
Prior to this he filled other minor offices. [111884 he
served as an associate editor of the Bruedcr Botscksfter,
the German official organ of the Moravian Church in
America, and likewise on the committee to prepare lier-
46 The Pennsylvania-German Society.
man liturgies. He was the author of the office of worship
for Sunday evening, No. 1, now in general use in the Eng-
lish-speaking Moravian Churches. From 1886 to 1887
he served on the First District Board of Church Exten-
sion. In 1888 he was appointed Provincial Archivist, to
succeed Bishop de Schweinitz, and served until 190 1. In
1889 he served as vice-president of the General Synod of
the Moravian Church held at Herrnhut, in Germany.
In 1895 he was elected president of the Moravian His-
torical Society and held that office at the time of his
death. In 1898 he served as president of the Provincial
Synod of the Moravian Church held at Lititz, Pa., and in
1903 he served in the same capacity in the Provincial
Synod held at Bethlehem.
On June 9, 1903, he was elected a member of the
Provincial Elders' Conference, the highest governing
board of the Moravian Church. At the time of his death
he held the following offices: president of the Provincial
Elders' Conference, president of the Board of Church
Extension of the American Moravian Church, president of
the Society for Propagating the Gospel, president ot the
Board of Trustees of the Moravian College and Theologi-
cal Seminary, president of the Moravian Historical Society,
vice-president of the Board of Trustees of St. Luke's Hos-
pital, Honorary vice-president of a number of interdenomi-
national bodies, advisory trustee of the Moravian Semi-
nary for Young Ladies at Bethlehem, of the Nazareth
Hall Boarding School, and of Linden Hall Seminary, at
Bishop Levering was an eloquent preacher and had I
rare ability in meeting the requirements of special ad-
dresses and sermons. He was especially noted for his his-
' In Memoriam. 47
torical research,' and his masterpiece is the "History of
Bethlehem," which is far more than an ordinary history
of a town. It is a philosophical treatise on all the causes
leading to the settlement of the Moravians in America,
and an exceptionally able exposition of all relating to their
work. ; :-h ,
His executive ability in directing the work of the church
is well known and his varied services cannot be sum-
marized in a few words. The loss to the Moravian
Church cannot be easily estimated, and his presence in the
community will be greatly missed, for he was keenly in-
terested in everything pertaining to Bethlehem's welfare,
twenty-seven of his fifty-nine years having been spent in
this town. He attained the age of fifty-nine years, one
month and fifteen days.
He is survived by his wife, two daughters, Mrs. Allen
W. Stephens, of Newark, N. J., and Miss Gertrude Lev-
ering, a teacher in the Young Ladies' Seminary at Beth-
lehem; a sister, Mrs. Alice Taylor, of Olney, 111., and
two brothers, Martin Levering, of Olney, 111., and the
Rev. Lewis R. Levering, of Faribault, Minn.
Bishop Levering's reputation as a pulpit orator was
recognized beyond the confines of his own church. His
great literary ability were constantly at the service of his
church and his impress will abide upon many of its liturgi-
cal forms. His executive ability and tact in administering
the affairs of the church at large are acknowledged by
all who are conversant with its work.
His illness, which began March 25, rapidly terminated
on Saturday morning, April 4, 190S, from neuralgia oi
the heart. " His was the blessed privilege of passing
directly from the active service of his Lord on earth into
The Pennsylvania-German Society
the more immediate presence of that Lord and Saviour,
whose he was, and whom he served." The funeral ser-
vices were held in the Central Moravian Church, Beth-
lehem, Pa., on Wednesday, April 8, at 2.30 P. M.
He became a member of the Pennsylvania-German So-
ciety on July 20, 1894.
H. M. M. R.
Prof. Franklin Pierce Miller.
Prof. Franklin Pierce Miller was born July 27, 1871,
in the old Miller Homestead near Fritztown, Pa. He
was son of Peter S. Miller, b. September II, 1850, who
was son of Peter Miller, b. March 8, 1813, d. February,
1896, who was son of John Miller. His mother was
Susan Epler, b. August 21, 1853, who was daughter of
John Epler, b. 18 13, d. 1886, who was son of George
He obtained his early education in the public schools,
and, at the age of sixteen, became a teacher. I Ic taught
five successive terms in Fritztown and then entered the
Keystone Normal School at Kutztown, Pa., from which
institution he graduated in 1893. H e entered Franklin
and Marshall Academy in the fall of 1895 an ^ was B^d"
uated four years later. For one term he served as prin-
cipal of the Leesport schools and then matriculated at the
Eastern Theological Seminary at Lancaster, Pa. In 1
he was elected an instructor in physics and German at the
Keystone Normal School but continued his studies while
teaching. In 1903 he was licensed to preach the Goa
by the Lebanon Classis of the Reformed Church. Al-
though he never entered the ministry he preached in Berks
and Lehigh County churches nearly every Sunday, in con-
nection with his duties as instructor in physics and German
at the Keystone Normal School, Kutztown, Pa.
His death occurred January 2, [909, and was due to
The Pennsylvania-German Society.
tuberculosis of the system contracted some three years be-
fore while conducting an experiment with the X-ray.
Besides his wife Ella (nee Krick), Professor Miller is
survived by one son, Leroy, also by his aged mother and
various brothers and sisters.
He was elected to membership in the Pennsylvania-Ger-
man Society on October 24, 1901.
In Memoriam. 51
John Frederick Unger.
John Frederick Unger was born in Lower Macungie
Township, Lehigh County, Pa., on March 5, 1S32. He
was son of Thomas Unger ( 1804) , who was son of John
Christian Unger (1779), who was son of George Unger
(1748), who lived in the Fishing Creek Valley, Dauphin
(then Lancaster) County. The family came from south
Germany about 1736. His mother was Julianna, daugh-
ter of Peter and Catharine Seiberling.
He was first educated in a private English school which
his father was instrumental in organizing, and, later, in
the Stewartsville Academy, N. J. He followed the pro-
fession of a civil engineer from 1856 to 1873, being as-
sistant to George B. Roberts (later president of the Penn-
sylvania Railroad) on the Allentown and Auburn, Mi 11-
ville and Glassboro, and Mahanoy and Broad Mountain
railroads from 1862 to 1865; assistant to Robert 1 [.Si
of the Lehigh Valley railroad, from 1865 to 1S68, with
the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company and chief
engineer of the Nanticoke and Scranton Railroad. From
1868 to 1873 he was engaged in special engineering work.
north and south.
During the Civil War he became a member of" the
Union League in Philadelphia and organized a corps
engineers for field railroad with the Union Army, which
however, was not called into active service.
Failing health, because of constant exposure Uld hard
The Pennsylvania-German Society.
work, necessitated the abandonment of his profession,
and, since 1873, he was interested in various manufactur-
ing enterprises. He was a partner in the J. O. Schimmel
Preserving Company, then in the Bryan Preserving Com-
pany. In 1896 he became actively engaged in the slate
business, at Slatington, Pa., also, later, interested in the
Slatington Rolling Mill Company.
Mr. Unger took a keen interest in scientific matters, and,
for over forty years, was a member of the Franklin In-
stitute of Philadelphia.
He was an active member of Christ Reformed Church
of Philadelphia, in which he held various important offices.
He was married to Lydia Louise, daughter of Rev.
Samuel Miller, of Pottsville, Pa., by whom he is survived,
together with three daughters, Anna Julia, wife of Rev.
Edwin A. Gernant, now of Towanda, Pa., Nono and
Madeleine, also one son, Frederick William Unger, au-
thor and former Boer War correspondent.
While Mr. Unger was a resident of Philadelphia his
decease occurred on Saturday, April 1 1, 1908, at his sum-
mer residence, " Wiederhollen," in Ontelaunee Township,
near Leesport, Pa.
He became a member of the Pennsylvania-German So-
ciety on January 16, 1896.
H. M. M. R.
In Memoriam. 53
' ' ' •• '
Hon. John B. Warf el.
Hon. John B. Warfel, of Lancaster, Pa., was born
September 19, 1830, in Paradise Township, Lancaster
County, Pa. He was the son of John Warfel, who was
son of Jacob Warfel, who was son of Henry Warfel.
who was son of George Warfel, who came to Amer-
ica in the early part of the eighteenth century from the
Palatinate. ' ' i
Mr. Warfel was educated in the public schools, at the
Strasburg Academy, and at Bucknell University, of Lewis-
burg, Pa. He was an alumnus of the Columbia Law
School. During his earlier years he engaged in school
teaching, and, later, became a surveyor and conveyancer.
In his lifetime he held many positions of trust and honor.
He was a justice of the peace; a school director for nearly
forty years; Internal Revenue Assessor; State Senator for
Pennsylvania, 1 869-1 875; Examiner in Pension Depart-
ment, Washington, D. C, and a Hayes Presidential
Elector for Pennsylvania. Since May, 1872, he
a trustee of the State Normal School at Millersville, Pa.,
and was one of the founders and publishers of the Lancas-
ter New Era.
His death occurred late in the night of Sunday, April
He became a member of the Pennsylvania-German So-
ciety at its organization.
H. M. M. R.
54 The Pennsylvania^German Society.
William Christian Gretzinger. '
William Christian Gretzinger was born August 23,
1866, in the city of Reading, Pa. He was son of John
Christian Gretzinger, b. June 13, 1847, d. May 20, 1870,
and Amelia Wentzel (later Leyman), who was son of
Christian Gretzinger, b. October 26, 1809, d. January 22.
1879. The latter filed his declaration for citizenship
January 25, 1841, in the courts of Berks County, Penn-
sylvania, and was admitted August 8, 1844. He was a
native of Reutlingen, Wurtemberg, Germany. Another
ancester was a great-great-grandfather, John Printz (prob-
ably descended from Johan Heinrich Printz, from 1 1 man,
Witemburg, Darmstadt Eisenberg, September 26, 1749),
to whom property was deeded 1774, and whose son was
His father served in Company A, 195th Regiment,
Pennsylvania Volunteers, during the Civil War, and es-
tablished the first newspaper agency in the city of Reading,
Pa., conducting it for a number of years.
Mr. Gretzinger was a graduate of Carroll's Institute,
Reading, afterwards became a student at Perkiomen Semi-
nary, Pennsburg, Pa., and, later on, entered Bucknell
University, Lewisburg, Pa., from which he graduated in
1889, and of which he became the Registrar, in winch
capacity he served for eighteen years.
He was quite popular among the National Guardsmen
of Pennsylvania, serving as captain and quartermaster in
the 1 2th Infantry.
He was also manager of all the college teams of Buck-
nell, always taking an active part in field and athletic sport.
About two years ago he took his football team to Norfolk
and other places in Virginia, winning a number of games.
Mr. Gretzinger was a member of the Baptist denomina-
tion and a prominent and popular citizen. *
His death occurred on Thursday, February 19, 1909,
from Bright's disease, after a protracted illness. He is
survived by a wife and two children.
He became a member of the Pennsylvania-German
Society on July 9, 1 901.
H. M. M. R.
,) |, .:,, \. I