H^ PRELIMINARY HISTORICAL DIGEST OF THE C&EI RR Compiled from a History of the Chicago and Eastern Illinois Railroad and the Companies From Which it Grew, being written by hiarold R. Sampson, C&EI Senior Vice President Re- tired, Flossmoor, Illinois. '■£.-1 ,j ■; ■ i^ iii^. y^s'^. This Digest has been prepared for those who have no affinity for books. It eniinw rates the events considered to be the most interesting or ii^>ortant in the span of history coTsred, without ouch of the extraneous material to be found in a detailed account. It is hoped that it will be of help to those >^o are seeking sooe pa2*ticular item of C&EI histsrj, but who may not have the tin* or patience to read through several hundred pages to find it. Harold R. Saa^sson Flossmoor, Illinois. Th« woodland and prairie vdldamets that waa to bacons C<S(£Iland waa peopled bj the mound bulldera, patticularlj that aection along the rivera of what we now deaignate aa "downatate" in Illinoia and Indiana. 1500 Indiana roamed the entire area, traTaling much in the direction the railroad now runa, but occasionally east and we at. 1673 French explorera reached what ia now Illinoia. 1679 Thi French had penetrated the Indiana wildemeaa. 1717 Fort Oxiiatenon built on the Wabash river at a point eaat of preaent daj Danville ^ Illinoia. 1720 F4rt de ChartiSea built on the Miaaiasippi river aome fifty milea down atream from preaent day Bast St.Louia, Illinoia. 1732 Fort Vincennea built on the Wabaah river near the aite of preaent day Vincennea, Indiana. 1763 The Britiah conquer the French, the winner taking the country east of the Miasiaaippi river. 1798 The George Rogera Clark eaqpodition moved from Kentucky across Southern Illinoia via preaent day Kamak on the Joppa brakch, and Goreville on the Southern Illinoia line. 1779 George Rogera Clark, and a force of leas than two hundred men, cross Illinois in midwinter and take Vincennea. 1790 Knox County (Indiana) formed, comprising most of the preaent area of the entire atate. St. Clair County (Illinois) created, covering the area between the Wabaah and Mississippi rivers. 1300 Indiana Territory organized including the area that is now Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota. The capital was Vincennea. 1803 Fort Dearborn erected at the point >*iere the Chicago river then flowed into Lake Michigan. 1809 Indiana Territory divided, the western part extending from the C^io river to the Canadian border being called Illinois. 1816 Indiana arrived at Statehood, being the nineteenth state in the Union and taking its present area. 1818 Illinois adaitted as the twentj-first state, alse taking its present form. 1820 The first st§ge coach service was established over little more than a trail between Evansville, Indiana and PrLncet«n, Indiana. 1823 The Anerican Fur Coapany establi^ a trading post at the site of present day Danville, Illinois. Giirden S. Hubbard, an enpleyee of the fur company, laid out a trail froa Danville to Chicago. It was kno^n as Hubbard's Trace, and is followed closely by the present day C&EI right-of-way. State Street, Chicago is a continuation of the trail. 1830 The Lincoln fasiily, with Abe who was then twenty-two years of age, move from Soutkei*n Indiana to Central Illinois via Vincennes, Indiana and Sullivan, Illinois. 1832 Work started on the Wabash and Iris Canal, much of which was later to follow the Wabash river valley. 1833 The Illinois State Assembly authorized the Chieago- Vinoennes road to be located. N\abei*ed at one mile intervals, soos of the milestones may still be 8«en today. 1834 Indiana's first railroad, a horse drawn carriage moving on rails, began seirvice in Central Indiana. 1835 Illinois' first railroad, the Northern Cross chartei*ed with authority to build from the Mississippi river to the Indiana state line via Quiacy, Jacksonville, Springfield, Deeatur and Danville. The Internal Improvement Bill of 1835 provided for a railvoad running north from Evansville, Indiana but failure of the public works program caught it before it started. 1$36 The Hadison and Indianapolis R& authorized to be bviilt from the Ohio river at Madison, Indiana to Indianapolis. 1838 The Northern Cross RR began operation. The original locomotive was the eight and one-half ton engine named "Experiment". 18Z^ The Madison aad Indianapolis began ope rati (» of twenty-seven miles of four foot gaiige line. Later converted to standard gauge it has the steepedt grade in the United States. 1848 December 1849 Januarj 2 August 16 October 25 1850 jMuaiT 21 February 20 May 14 July 1851 February 6 April 5 May July 4 NoveM^r 8 Indiana has eighty-six, and Illinois fifty-three ailes of railroad in operation. The Eyansville and Illinois Railroad chartered to build and operate a railroad fr<»i ETansville, Indiana «a the Ohio river via Princeton , Indiana and on t* connect with the Ohio and Mississippi Railroad (now the B&O) at, or near Olney, Illinois. Notices of orgaiization of the E&I were published. Satuel Hall of Princeton, Inc&ana elected president. First boat, the "Two Pollies", readied Terre Haute via the Wabash and Erie canal. Charter of the Evans ville and Illinois RR aaended te authorize a change in route from Princeton, Indioia t« Vincennes, IndLaia in lieu of the original route te Olney, Illinois. Contract let for grading E&I Evansville to Princeton. First sod cut for grading on the S&I - aboii; cxie-half Bile of line in each segnsi^ of contract • Contract closed for iron rail to be shipped froa England via New Orleans and river boat. To be paid for ty bonds issued ]gy the city of Evansville. Wabash Railroad ineorpo rated to build a railroad froa Vincennes, Indiana to Terre Haute, Indiana, and if desired by the eoipany, on to Crawfordsville, Indana, and to extend south to connect with ths E&I RR. Stealer "Uncle Sa«" arrives Evansville froa New Orleans wLth 540 tons of iron rail for the EStl. Steaaer "Fort Pitt" arrives Evansville with the first lecoaotive for the E&I. It weighed seventeen tons and was naaed the "VarUlerburgh". Excursion train operated all day between Evansville and Pigeon Creek. Passengers were carried c« construction cars. Rail laid to within eight ailos of Pidnceton. Passenger oars have been receifsd and are ia service. Wood for fuel cost $2.00 per cord delivered to designate* locations along the line. 1852 January Evansville Illinois reaches Princeton, Indiana. May July 10 Novcaber 18 December 9 1853 March h April 25 DecendDcr lA 1854 February 1 May 25 November 23 1855 Av^ust 1857 1860 November 2k 1861 1865 February 16 August Grading under way north of Princeton, Contract let for bridge over the Vfliite river. Grading under way south froa Vincennes. Evansville and Illinois Railroad and the Wabash Railroad consolidate taking the naae of the forsier. Trains begin using the bridge at Patoka, Indiana. Evansville and Illinois Railroad changes name to the Evansville and Crawfordsville Railroad, Service established froa Evansville to the White river. Line opened for service Evansville to Vincennes, but with a transfer over the White river due to the bridge still being tinder construction. Through ser\'lce established Evansville to Vincennes. Track being laid between Vincennes and Terre Haute in each direction - about one-third mile of track in place each day. Last rail laid between Vincennes and Terre Haute and service started following day. Cost of road complete said to have been $20,229.33 per mile. Gross E&C receipts for eleven months ending August 31* 1855 were $116,890.17 Line graded froa Terre Haute to Rockville, Indiana and work suspended. BStC gross nrveriue for the year up to $249,867.63. E&C complete Evansville to Rockville and first train in service. Wabash and Erie canal abandons service south of Terre Haute. E&C trains rarely exceeded twenty cars and speeds were abou| fifteen miles per hour. Chicago, Danville and Vincinnes Railroad incorporated to construct a railroad from a point in Lawrence County, Illinois on the Wabash river opposite Vincennes, Indiana to Chicags via Paris, Illinois and Danville, Illinois. First president of the CD&V was W.D. Jiidson with headquarters in New York. E&C gross revenue reaches one-half million dollars for the first time ($559,127.68). 1869 April 22 May 21 June 2 September 11 Octob€b' 10 November 4 December 2 1870 May 19 July 28 Axijuat 10 1871 April Octobdr 8-11 October 26 Celebfation at Momence occasioned hy the ground breaking ceremony of the CD&V RR at the north edge of tovn. Track laying on the CD&V starts southward from Dolton, Illinois where connection was made with the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and St. Louis RR for trackage into Chicago. Evansville, Terre Haufe arii Chicago Railroad chartered to build from Terre Haute, Indiana to the Illinois state line east of Danville, Illinois. John Ingle Jr. , who was serving as President and Superintendent of the E&C was also elected president of the new road Terre Haute north. Contract awarded for building the Wabash river bridge at Clinton, Indiana for the ETHSdC. Decision reached to use the E&C from Terre Haute to Otter Creek, thence the new line to be built. Grading of the CD&V progressing between Moaence and St* Anne . CD<ScV begin service between Moraence and Chicago. Ingle resigns as president of the ETH&C and was succeeded by Jesephus Collett Jr., of Newport, Indiaia. Three piers of the Clinton bridge in place and work proceeding rapidly. Union station at Vincennes, Indiana under construction. E&C purchases first coal burning locomotive, the "Shelburne". All previous locomotives had been woofll burners. ETHSeC and CD&V both niaking slow pregresa due to t.T5 effect of the Franco -Prussian war on the bond ^market. Danville and Rosodale Ry organized to build between the Indiana state line and Danville, Illinois for the ETli^. Timbers for the CD&V bridge over the Iroquois, ri^'er at Watseka begin arriving. Union track built at Evansville, providing the E^^ ndth a connection with the L&N. Grading of the ETHiC completed and the CD&V nov« three miles south of Rossville, Illinois. CD&V general offices burn in the great Chicago fire. ETHScC begins service between Terre Haute and Danville. November 16 1872 Jaiuary March 4 March 6 March 9 March May June 10 July 1 Septeaber 12 November 12 December CD&V begins service between Chicago and Danville. First entry into downtown Danville was via the Toledo, Wabash and Western tracks from Danville Junction. Chicago station was located at Kinzie and Clintcm Streets. Survey being made for the Danville, Tuscola and Western RR to be built from Tuscola to Danville. Serfice now established between Evaasille, Indiana and Chicago, Illinois via the E&C to Terre Hau|e, the ETHStC to Danville, and the CD&V. The CD^V RR was consolidated with the Rossvil3e and Indiana RR. A further conaolidation was effected with the Attica and Terre Haute RR. A still further consolidation was effected vdth the Western Indiana RR. The consolidated company (in each case th» Chicago, Danville and Vincennes RR) was empowered to build and operate a railroad froa Warren County (Indiana) to Brazil, Indiana. Noaeof the three companies (R^I, kklH, and WI) built any lines. C&SfV purchase $60C,CXX).O0 of Chicago real estate t© build a freight and passenger station on Halsted Street near Fulton. Also dock property on the south side of the south branch of tte Chicago river at Bridgeport. C(xitract let for the construction of the Danville, Tuscola and Western RR. CD&V and ETHScC trains begin operating into downtown Danville via their o><i rails which had been laid down froa Danville Junction. The E&C line Terre Haute to Rockville was leased to the Logansport, Crawford sville & Southwestern Ry. The new sleeping car "China" on the line of the E&C making regular trips between Evansville, Indiana and Cincinnati, Ohio via Terre Haute and the Vandalia Line. Danville and Rosedale RR consolidated with the ETHiC, Through sleeping car line established (Woodruff) between Chicago and Evansville ($2.00 per berth) 1873 June July CD<§tV decide to buiifi their own line from Dolton to downtcwj Chicagp, Will build from Thornton via Blue Island (present Grand Trunk ri^t-of-way). CD&V now averaging ninety cars of coal per day into Chic ago . FountjLin County branch (also called the Indiana Division^ from Youngs, Illinois near Bismarck to Snoddy's Mill, Indiana (25 miles in length} ccEpleted and opened for service. August 1875 November 3 March June July 16 November December January February 27 March June Danville, Tuscola and Western RR completed from the Paris and Danville RR (now NYC) to Indianola, Illinois. This gave an ovi let by use of the Paris anc Danville RR to Tilton, thence the Toledo, Wabash and Western RR (now the Wabash RR; to Danville, Illinois. CD&V passenger trains began u^ing the new station in Chicago at the comer of Clinton and Carroll Streets. By tinEtable, CD&V passenger trains were restricted to 22 miles per hour, freight trains to 12 miles ner hour. CD&V fails and a new corporation, the Chicago and Southern RR was formed to iinish the work started on the line Dolton to Chicago. Work resumed on the C&S from Dolton to Chicago. Eads Bridge over the Mississippi river at St.Loxus opened for regular service, Chicago and Southern RR completed from Thornton Junction to 26th Street, Chicago. ETH&C mail contract earns $50.00 per mile per year. President Ackerman of the Illinois Central urges his board to buy the CD&V to eliminate unfair competitive practices. CD&V foreclosed. E&C buys its first steel rails and pvrts them in the line near Patoka, Indiana. CD&V paying rental of $70,(X0.00 per year to the PC&StL fcr entry into Chicago - expect to pay the C&S $21,700.00 per year for trackage from Thornton Junction to Chicago. July October November December Ik 1S77 February March 5 April 28 May Aufust 28 October December Several bridges of the road were lost in floods, including the grade at Clinton, Indiana. Court authorizes CD&V to lease C&3 and to operate two suburban trains. CicS facilities in such p«or shape that the court ordered the CD&V to take rental due the C&3 Im in lieu thereof to build a turntable and single stall engine house and station at Blue Island (not to exceed $2500.00), also a depot at Archer Avenue and 47th Street fcr $50C.OO, a ro'jnd house at the C&A crossing for $6,000.00, telegraph poles for $500.00 and the balance for repairs to the road, Chicago and Nashville RR incorporated to build Chicago to Danville, a branch Dolt on to Lake Michigan, and a branch from Bi3ttarck to the Indiana state line, and a branch to any point in Vemdlion County, Illinois south of Danville, The Illinois Division of the CD&V was sold on February 7th and reorganized as the Chicago and Nashville RR. The Indiana Division from the Illinois line t« Coal Creek was sold on February 9th and reorganized as the State Line & Covington RR. The articles of incorporation of the C(iN were filed on February 12, and the articles of the SL&C were not filed until August 9, 1877 (dated July 30, 1877) The Evansville and Crawfordsville RR brought suit against the Logansport, Crawfordsville and Southwestern RR to recover damages for depreciation in condition ©f the 23 miles of road leased to them. The name of the Evansville and Crawfordsville RR was changed to the Evansville and Terre Haute RR Chicago and Southern RR forclosei ETHiC fails to make interest on bonds for the first time. Chicago and Nashville RR and the State Line and Covington consolidate and form a new c«rporati<xi to be known as the Chicago and Eastern Illinois RR. This was the first of six corporations to be identified with initials C&EI. Transfer of property made on September 1, 1877. Builders of the futire Grand Trunk By negotiate for the purchase of the Chicago and Soxithem. C<ScEI bond holders were called upon for an assessnent of $150.00 per bond on the Illinois Division and $50.00 per bond on the Indiana Division. 1878 April 17 June August November 1879 January 1 June 2 July Au|;u3t September October 2JV December 10 The Indiana Block Coal Railroad was incorporated to construct a line froa Knigntsville, in Clay County (Indiana) to the Evans ville, Terre Haute and Chicago RR in Vigo County (Indiana). The Chicago and State Line RR incorporated and purchased the Chicago and Southern RR Wiich ended the C&EI hope of having their own line into downtown Chicago via Blue Islvid. First annual report of the C&EI. Complains aboxA the condition of the property taken over from the CD&V - "road is in poor condition, track has never been ballasted, ties (Mostly hemlock) were in bad state of decay and were replaced with over 85,000 oak ties during the year". C&EI surveying a line from Dolton to the mouth of the Calianet river in the hopes of reaching the steel mills. Earnings for the first corporate year - $784>555.76. E&TH purchases a small steamer and barges to operate on the White river. Standard box car was 28 ft. 10 inches long. C&EI gauge is given as 4 ft. 8^ in. while the ETHScC gauge is given as 4 ft. 9 in. Regardless of this there was no apparent problem in interchanging equipaent . Indiana Block Coal RR opened for service Otter Creek to Brazil, being operated by the ETHSdC vrfio was the actual builder. Locally the line was (and still is today) known as "The Pea Vine". Chicago and Western Indiana RR incorporated by C&EI interests to build frDa Dolton to Chicago. Construction of the C&WI begins. E&TH begin Ij^ring track on a branch line westward from the main line at Fort Branch. E&TH branch completed and trains operating as far as Owensville, Indiana. C&EI signs lease for use of the C&WI. Lease gives exclusive right to serve local teri'itory (both freight and passenger )Dolton to Chicago, Ths E&TH grant the Terre Hsute and Logansport RR the right to use the line Terre Haute to Rockville, the first six miles (Terre Haute to Otter Creek) being joint with the ETHSdC. 1880 Bridfe over the Wabash river at Clinton rebvalt. March 11 April May 1 August 11 August 31 September 1 Septeaber 10 September 15 November The Indianapolis and hvansville RR (from Washington, Indiana to Evansville) organized. E&TH buys it. The Danville and Grape Creek RR incorporated to buili a line fron Danville to the coal mine area at Grape Creek, Illinois. C4WI began operating Doltcn to 22nd Street, Chicago. Road terainated there for over a year due to liti- gation with other lines with respect to crossings, and with the city with respect to the location of the terminal. Because trains of the Wabash RR were vmable to reach the downtown section, they believed their passenger fare should be $1,00 less than that of the Alton froii St. Louis to Chicago. This started a rate war which spread across tlie entire country, some examples being $1.00 Chicago to St* Louis, and $4.25 St, Louis to Boston. In the meantime C^l freight trains continued to use the PC&StL. ETf^cC (including the Indiana Block Coal RR) leased by the GScEI aid operated as the Terre Haute Division. The Strawn and Indiana State Line RR incorporated to construct a railroad from the C&EI main line at Wellington Junction westward to Cissna Park, Illinois. C&EI has it's first one million dollar gross revenue year. Gross for the year ending August 31 was $1,020,794.56. Steel rail now in 68 miles of E&TH track - new station buildings built at Sullivan, Carlisle, and Princeton, Indiana. Courts finally clear the way for the C<StWI to build to Van Buren Street, Chicago, C&WI lay track across the Illinois Central RR (Wisconsin Division) at night under police protection. The following night track was laid across several streets between 12th Street and Van Bufen Street. Late in the month the C&WI abandoned it's right to build to Van Buren Street due to the congestion that another station (LaSalle Station was alreidy built) would create. The Danville and Grape Creek completed to Grape Creek. The Indiana Division of the C&EI Bigiarck Jet. to Covington, Indiana abandoned and rails raRcved. November 12 December 1881 February 1 March 8 May 9 July October December 1882 January 15 January 25 June 22 July 25 Line of the C&WI built over the Lake Shore RR under police protection and the road ooened Dolton to 14th Street. Arrangements made with the C&WI to build a line fron South Englewood to South Chicago and for the C&EI to use such tracks to reach the steel mills. E&TH deed 1,U2 miles of track Garvin Street to Fifth Avenue, fivansvilie to the L&N (fcrmerly the Southeastern and St. Louis Ry), each company to have equal trackage rights. C&EI consolidates »dth the Danville and Grape Creek RR forming the second corporation vdth C&El as initials. Citizens of Southern Indiana vote an appropiation to help extend the E&TH branch from Owensville to Cynthiana. Evansville Belt Railway incorporated and 3.77 miles of main track built by the E&TH. C&EI now holds UC$ of E&TH stock. F.W. Huidekoper president of both companies. Work underway on the belt line in Chicago being built by the C&WI. C&EI freight revenue reaches one million dollars. C&EI extends line from Grape Creek to Westville, Illinois. Danville to Westville line now extended to Sidell's Grove, Illinois ever the section previously built by the Danville, Tuscola and Western RR, The Indianapolis and Evansville RR now completed from W*«hington, Indiana to Petersburg, Indiana. Regular service established Danville to Sidell's Grove. Straws and Indiana State Line RR now complete and being operated by the C&BI. E&TH branch completed as far as the PD&E crossing at Poseyville, Indiaia. E&TH branch completed to Mt. Vernon, Indiana. Cue passenger train round trip Mt .Vemon-Princeton , one round tiip Fort Br anch-Mt. Vernon, Ai^ust 31 All but five miles of E&TH rail now steel. 1883 June 23 August 14 Auj;u3t 31 November 1884 June 16 July 19 September 1885 November 14 Novanber 27 1886 March The annual report of the E&TH states that the average life of their locomotives is fifteen years. Work resumed on the Danville, Tusdola and Western. Five roads leasing the C&Wl become equal owners (C&EI, Erie, Monon, Grand Trunk and Wabash) The Evansville, Wadiington and Brazil Ry organized to build from Washington, Indiana to Worth ington, Indiana. Pronoted by the E&TH RR who had acquired control of the Terre Haute aixi Southeastern RR farther north. C&WI decide to build passenger station at Polk Street, Chicago. Contract let October 1, 1883. Last five miles of E&TH laid with 60 lb. steel rail. Adoption of Standard TIob Wiich eliminated miner differences in time along the E&TH and C&EI. That portion of the E&TH between Washington, Indiana and Evansville, Indiana passed to the Evansville and Indianpolis RR which had been formed in the interest of the E&TH. L&N bridge between Evansville, Indiana and Henderson, Kentucky opened for service. Through sleeping car runs established between Chicago and Nashville, Tennessee via Evansville and the L&N, and between Chicago and Indianapolis, Indiana via Danville, Illinois and the IB&W RR. the Evansville and Indianapolis, the Evansville, Washington and Brazil, and the Terre Haute and Southeastern were consolidated into the Evansville and Indianapolis RR, the C&EI subsequently acquiring the ct^ital stock of the new corpcration. The Chicago and Indiana Coal Ry organized November 27 > 1885 to tate over the property of the Lake Michigan and Ohio River Ry extending from Teddo, Indiana to Brazil, Indiana. Dearborn Station, Chicago completed. C&EI declares first dividend - 2^ percent. L&N sell their E&TH stock to the C&EI. April 12 April U 1887 Janiiary March 10 April June 1888 November December August 12 September November Indiana Railway company formed to take over property of the Chicajo ani Great Southern Ry exteniint from Fair Oaks, Indiana to Yeddo, Indiana. Chicago ant Indiana Coal Ry takes over the Indiana Railway company. B&TH gain control of the Peoria, Decatir ani Evansville RR (now the Illinois Central RR) >4iich was held \mtil 1894. The Chicago and Indiana Coal Ry extends the line from Fair Oaks, Indiana to LaCrosse, Indiana. The Chicago, Danville and St. Louis RR incorporated to construct a line from Sidell, Illinois towards St. Louis, Missouri. Work began same ^ar using the gfade v^ich had previously been constructed by the Danville, Tuscola and Western RR. C&EI bou^t by a syndicate in the interest of the Chicago and Indiana Coal I^, stock being priced at 110. C&EI announce olans to build a line from Moiaence, Illinois to a pK3int tear Goodland, Indiana to connect with the Chicago and Indiana Coal Ry. The Momence and State LineRR formed to build that portion in Illinois, the C&IC to build the Indiana portion. The Chicago, Danville and St. Louis RR, and the St*awn and Indiana State Line RR consolidated iidth the C&£I thus forming the third comp«iy with C&EI initials. The line completed into Tuscola during ths month. C&EI had been endeavoring to build into downtown Tuscola for several months but had been prevented from doing so by the Indianapolis, Springfield and Western RR. A large force of men ptrti to work at night and the line completed before morning. The line connecting the C&EI at Momence, Illinois and the ChicagD and Indiana Coal Ry at Percy Junction, Indiana complsted. The remainder of the Indiana Division of the C&EI from Covington, Indiana to Coal Creek, Indiana abandoned and trackage rights Banville, Illinois to Covington, Indiana over the Ohio, Indiana and Western RR relingxiished. Passenger trains of the C&EI made the following stops within ChicagD after* leaving Dearborn Station: Archer Avenue, 33rd Street, 49th Street, 63rd Street, Auburn Junction, Aub\irn, Hammond Junction, Oakdale and Kensington. November 1889 March June 20 1890 JanuAiy 20 May 1891 Jtne January Jvne September 8 Novianber November 28 1892 April June 1 1893 March 31 The saae group v4io controlled the Chicago and Indiana Coal Hy (and now the C4EI) held substantial interest in the Illinois Steel Coapany, and in turn the Diiluth and Iron Range RR. The president, treasurer and pxa* chasing agent of the C&EI held the saas position on the D&IH at the same tioe. Doubld track being installed Monence, Illinois to Dolton, Illinois by the C&EI. Chicago and Indiana Coal Ry stockholders vote to exchange their stock for C&EI stock (both ccamon and preferred) share for share. ET-HStC stockholders meet in Terre Haute to make fomal transfer of majority of stock to the C&EI. Agreemedb signed for C&EI to operate the E&TH. Line being surveyed from Tuscola, Illinois to Sullivan, Illinois and plans being znade to continue to Shelbyville. C&WI building second main track Doltc^ to Oakdale. First year for a million dollar gross for the E&TH. First off-line traffic office established by the C&EI at Atltata, Georgia, joint w.th E&TH. C&EI into Chicago suburban passenger business in a serious way - bufclds an eight stall roundhouse at Crete, Illinois to house suburban engines. Trains now running Danville to Sullivan, Illinois. Bridge ever the Okaw river completed. Is now the longest bridge in Illinois. Last rail laid Tuscola to Shelbyville. This was to be the southern terainus of the Illinois line until 1896. The name "Dixie Fljer" bom. Contracts let for double tracking Moaence to Danville. Chicago and Indiana Coal Ry leases its property to the C&EI for 999 years. D&IR loccaotives begin to appear on C&EI roster. G&EI grants trackage rig Mis to the Caluaet and Blue Island RR Chicago Heights to the Danville coal fields. TOis company later became the Chicago, Lake Shore and Eastern Bj and still later the Elgin, Joliet and Eastern Ry. AprU Axxgaat Novemlidr Decemlier 19 1894 March JxnJe 6 June 30 August 29 Septemlter 25 1895 January 29 February 1896 JjOy 24 December 1897 February 20 March 10 Contract let to build a branch line from Rossville, Illinois to Sldell, Illinois (34i miles). Terre Haute and Indianapolis RR (now the Pennsylvania RR) makes contract for use of station at Terre Haute 1^ C&EI.. Rossville-Sidell braich completed. Chicago, Paducah and Memphis RR chartered to be bviilt from Altamont, Illinois to Metropolis, Illinois vdth a branch from Johnston City, Illinois to Carbondale, Illinois Survey of the CP&M completed Altamont to Salem, Illinois. Chicago and Indiana Coal Ry consolidated into the C&EI forming the fourth C&EI company. C&EI passenger trains gross over one million dollars for the first time. Track laying on the CP&M complete Mt. Vernon, Illinois to Benton, Illinois and in progress from Benton to Marion, Illinois, Service begins ai the CP&M between Mt.Vimon, Illinois and Marion, Illinois - work still in progress nort'a of Rt, Vernon. CP&M rail reaches Mt. Vernon, Illinois thus completing the line St. Elmo, Illinois to Marlon, Illinois. Eight miles remain to be completed from St.Blmo to Altamont. CP&M all complete and operatirig Altamont to Marion. The Shelbyville Southern RR incorporated to construct a line for the C&EI southward from Shelbyville to ccHinect *d.th the CP&M. Line completedk Shell^yville to Altamont and C&EI takes over the operation of the CP&M. C&EI purchases the line of the CP&M Altamont, Illinois to Marion, Illinois as well as the coal mine bfanchds - purchase price $1,400,000.00. The mi on the approach to the White river bridge south of Hazleton, Indiana gave way under train No. 5 at 3:00AM. Conductor and an undetermined niaber of passengers were lost. March 22 Chicago Heights Terminal Transfer RR incorporated. May 10 1899 January 26 September OctoWr 23 November December 27 1900 January December Decem^r $ 1901 January 4 November 1 November 19 1902 March 27 July 1 Octob^ 1 C&EI enjp.ne No. 129 nandled a 2,200 ton train of 55 cars Danville to Chicago - considered quite a feat. Collett Street station built in Danville, Illinois and used until 1917. The Eastern Illinois and Missouri RR incorporated to construct a line from Marlon, Illinois to Thebes, Illinois - also the Joppa branch. About ten miles of the Eastern Illinois and Missouri RR already completed. Eastern Illinois and Missouii RR conveyed to the C&EI. C&EI purchase land at Dolton, Illinois for a new 3,000 car capacity yard. C&EI purchase the ETH&C RR and the Indiana Block Coal RR, Wiich had been operated under lease. Marion to Thebes line comoleted. Through passenger train service Established between Chicago and Texas via Thebes and the Cotton Belt - cars were ferried across the river for through movaraent. Joppa branch completed. C&EI, IC, St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern RR, St. Loxois Southwestern and the Missouri. Pacific RR fona the Southern Illinois aid Missoiori Bridge Company to build the Thebes bridge. Chicago-Flcrida Limited established Chicago to St. Augustine, Florida. C&EI given trackage rights by the bridge company frcaa Thebes, Illinois to Illao, idssouri. Freelaid Park branch completed. IC gives trackage rights to C&EI from Thebes to Bridge Jet. Account coaplaints of the other users against the C&EI having exclusive ttaffic rights on the C&WI, agreement made giving ilve proprietory lines equal rights. St.Lo\iis-San Francisco Ry buys control of the C&EI, paying $250.00 for each share of coaraon, and J150.00 for each share of preferred stock. November 1 C&EI (>dth the St .Louis-San Francisco also & party) enter into an agreeuEnt viiereby the CCC&StL would double track their existinf kindle trade line fron Pana, Illinois to Hillsboro, Illinois and build a double* tracked cut-off from the latter point to Mitchell J Illinois and the C&EI vould abandon olsns to build their ovm line. 1903 January 8 January 23 May 1 December A portion of the Rossville-Judyville branch acquired in the nane of the Rossville and Eastern RR conveyed to the C&EI - branch completed the saiae month. The Eastern Illinois and St .Louis RR incorporated to build a cut-off line ft cm. Woodland, Illinois to Villa Grove, Illinois and from Findlay, Illinois to Pana, Illinois in order to give the C&EI a competitive line betvjeen Chicago and St. Louis and a service connection vAth their parent line (the Frisco). CRI&P gain control of the St. Louis-San Francisco and thereby control of the C&EI. As a result, passenger trains of the C&EI began the use of LaSalle Street station in Chicago, leaving the tracks of the C&WI and entering the CRI&P tracks at 79th Street. C&EI expect to complete the work ot double tracking the line Danville, Illinois to Clinton, Indiana ty the end of the month. 1904 January C&EI trains discontinue the use of the downtown station in Danville, Illinois and use the Collett Station (or Danville Junction as it was known locally) exclusively for their Danville work. July 23 August 1 New C&EI yard opened for use at Villa Grove, Illinois. C&EI inaugurates Chicago-St.Loiiis passenger sergice with one nigH train in each direction using the CCC&StL old main line Hillsboro to East St. Louis account the new exit-off still under constrxiction. October 1 1905 January 3 Hillsboro-Mitchell cut-off completed and freight service inaugxirated and a day train added to the Chicago- St. Louis passenger service. The St.L-SW give the St.L-SF trackage rights between lUmo, Missouri and Rockview, hELssouri and on May 25, 1905 these rights were assigned to the C&EI. April 1 Thebes bridge placed in service. June 30 September 1906 Aufxist 2U November 1907 July October Deconber 1 1909 Juae 30 December 1 1910 June 1 1911 Decanber June Franchises of the Eastern Illinois and St. Louis RR (Woodland Junction to Villa Grove, Illinois and Findl^7, Illinois to Pana, Illinois conveyed to the C&EI. Third main track beinj constructed from Momence, Illinois to NE Tower, just south of Crete, Illinois. New northbound yard being built at Dolton, Illinois. Shops moved from St .Elmo, Illinois (at >diich ooint they had been located since the line was built )to Salem, Illinois. Salem donated a strip of land one thousand feet wide and two milee lon^ for the new yard. St .Louis, }famphis and Southeastern and tihb St. Louis- San Francisco RR erant trackage rights to the C&EI fron Rockview, Missouri to Chaffee, Missouri. C&EI now has 3U. locomotives and it became necessary to enlarge the Oaklawn shops. The line Villa Grove to Tuscola now double tracked. Work in progress on the new E&TH passenger station at Eighth and Main Streets, Evansville. Vincennes, Indiana industrial track, one and one-half miles long, being built. A cutoff line built and now in use Bismarck, Illinois to Starr, Illinois (2 miles) from >*iich ooint C&EI frei^t trains used the Chicago, Terre Haute and Southeastern Ry fcr 7 miles to Brewer Yard south of Daiville. A better grade and improved movement of freif^t trains due to less delay around the Danville passenger station was the object. C&EI owns 79^ of the E&TH conmon stock. CRI&P sells St. Louis-San Francisco RR back to previous owners. Thus C&EI continues under Frisco influence. C&EI grants trackage riLg!*8 to the CB&Q between HTjdgens Junction, Illinois and West Vienna, Illinois thereby giving the Burlington a route to Paducah, Kentucky. E&TH began dispatching trains by telephone. C&EI fi'eight density 2,020,000 tons and the parent company (Frisco) 520,000 tons, cr only about one-fourth as much. Average C&EI freight train handled 561 tons, Frisco trains 221 tons. July 1 July 20 1912 April 29 November 25 1913 January 5 May 27 August 1 1914 1916 February 20 1917 December 31 1918 January 1 December 1920 March 1 June 3 23^ of C&EI main track was 85 lb rail, 30^ was 80 lb, and the balance was lighter. C&EI takes over the operation of the Evansville and Indianapolis RR. E&TH and the Evansville Belt I^ consolidated vdth C&EI. Eastern Illinois and Peoria RR organized to build a line for the C&EI from St.Elao, Illinois to Peoria, Illinois and sirvey started. C&EI begins dispatching trains between Chicago and Danville by telephone. The first All Pullman Dixie Limited inaugiirated Chicags to Pain Beach, Florida. C&EI and Frisco Lines go into separate receiverships. C&EI discontinues use of LaSalle Street station, Chicag) and returns to Dearborn station. C&EI passenger train revenue running abovt 25$ of total gross - passenger revenue alnost equaled coal reven\» for tha year. Automatic Train control (Miller), the first in the United States fcr a major installation, vras placed in service on 107 miles of C&EI line. Dearborn Station Annex bxiilt by the C&WI. The Evansville and Indianapolis RR into receivership. C&EI into Federal Control with all other carriers. Projects completed during the year included a new bridge over the Okaw river in Illinois, a new passenger station at Danville, Illinois and a new bridge over the White river in Indiana. Off-line traffic offices all closed and all advertising discontinued. C&EI owns 25,659 firgi^t cars. Railroads returned to owrwrs. The Evansville and Indian^olis RR sold vinder foreclosure. 1921 1927 September 1 December 13 December 31 1922 January 1 November 1 1924 Febnuaiy 8 1926 March 1 Au^st 10 August 19 1930 January 7 1932 July 1933 April 18 C&EI grants trackage rights to the Evansville, Indianapolis and Terre Haute Ry to enable them to enter Evansville from Straight Line Junction. C&EI Ej organized thereby forming the fifth company with the same initials. Property transfer made effective January 1, 1922, Of all C&EI tonnage, 78^ originates on line. Off-line traffic offices gradually being re-established. That section of the road from LaCrosse, Indiana to Brazil, Indiana known locally as "the old coal road" disco ntin\»d operation. As the new C&EI Ry began operation, the former Evansville and Indianapolis RR property was not included, nor the "Goal road" mentioned above. C&EI grant trackage rights to the Illinois Central RR to enablfi them to reach their east side property at Evansville, Indiana. C&EI sells that portion of the line from Otter Creek Junction, Indiana to Rockville, Indiana to the Pennsylvania RR. Line had been operated under lease by various companies sine June 13 > 1872. C&EI also granted trackage rights to the PRR from the Junction to Terre Haute, e&EI begins use of the Mobile and Ohio freight house in East St. Louis, Illinois. Lincoln Fields Race Track com dieted at Crete, Illinois. Alton and Southern ccainection with C&EI at Mitchell , Illinois opened for use. Ovdrsize lettering on box cars came into C&EI use early in the year - coal cars had carried them earlier, C&EI acquires the Chicago Heights Terminal Transfer RR. C&EI comes under influence of the C&O Ry as the Van Sweringens gain control. First air-ccnditioned dining cars come out of C&EI shop^. C&EI petitions for receivership. Temporary trustee appointed on September 15, 1933 and permanent appointment made on October 10, 1933. 1934 1935 March 1 1936 January 2 1937 January- November 22 1940 April June 27 October 24 December 17 December 31 1944 1945 July 23 August 20 November December 1946 May 20 October November Products of Mines amounted to 71.7^ of all tonnage originated on the C&EI. Of total tonnage handled by the company, 58.7^ was Products of Mines, C&EI discontinues use of their ov«i station at Evansville and began the use of the L&N station for all trains. The first "one night only" train placed in service Chicago to Miami via C^I-IAN-NC&StL-ABC-ACL and FEC. Competing roads followed three years later. Ohio river flood leaves C&EI as the only line able to pi*ovide service into and out of Evansville, Indiana. Oaklavm Shops at Danville, Illinois bum. Present C&EI trademark (oval vdth Saturday Evening Post lettering) adopted. Present C&EI RR, the sixth with the same initials, incorporated. Property transfer made December 31, 1940. Momenca to State line branch discontinued. The first all coach streamliner placed in service Chicago to Miami via C&EI-L&N-NC&StL-ACL and FEC. Property transfer made to the new C&EI corporation. Final decree made by the coiurt the following June (1941). Best passenger train year in the history of the CS£1 - nearly nine million dollars grossed l^y oassenger trains for the year ($8,977,602.00). CHTT completely dieselized. C&EI takes over operation of parlor cars formerly operated by Pullman. Board authorizes CTC Clinton, Indiana to Evansville. Mars lights standard equipsient on C&EI passenger trains. First C&EI road Aiesels (Nos. 1100 and 1101) go into regvilar passenger train service. New light weight streamliners for Southern Illinois and Indiana received from Pullman Standard Mfg. Co. C&EI passenger station at Evansville sold to the city during the ysar. 1948 January 1 June 1 July 20 1949 Januaiy April 20 May 8 1950 February April 7 May 5 June 1 August 1 1951 May 16 December 1952 August September 2 October 1 1954 January August 16 October 18 Bald Hill cut-off placed in service in Indiana. "The Georgian" placed in service Chicago to Atlanta, First freiglt road diesels go into service. Chicago Railroad Fair opens with C&EI engine 222 playing a part in the outdoor pageant. C&EI inaiogurates pigf^yback freight service between Chicago and St. Louis. All C&EI passenger train service between Chicago and St- Louis discontinied. Chicago-Southern Illinois sleeping car service is discontinued. Line abandoned between Brother, Illinois and Maizetom, Illinois on the Rossville-Sidell branch. Freeland Park brmch discontinaed. Last C&EI steam locomotive (1944) worked its regular assignment at Vincennes, Indiana. New Wansford Yard opened for service at Evansville, Indiana. First C&EI Canadian traffic office opened at Toronto, Ontario. Miller train control on the C&EI replaced with GR3. C&EI, IC and Mo.Pac. purchase the Jefferson Southwestern RR in Southern Illinois, First welAed rail on C&EI - 2^ miles between Glenwood, Illinois *nd Chicago Heists, Illinois placed in use. Chic ago -Evansville piggyback fi-eight service established. All C&EI local l.c.l. freight moving by truck. Rail to barge coal transfer place in use at Joppa, Illinois C&EI buys a one-tenth interest in the Illinois Tdrndnal RR. C&EI piirchases the St. Louis and 0' Fallon Ry - nine miles of line in the East St. Louis, Illinois area. 1955 March May 1 December U 1957 January 15 J\me Septeml»er NovemWr 29 1959 June I960 April 1961 1962 January 5 June Installation of radio coamunication begun on. C&EI. C&EI no longer a party to the Chicago Consolidated Ticket Offices. A Budel RDC car liegin servicel between Chicago and Southern Illinois. The Chic ajp- Jacksonville, Florida sleeping car operated on the "Dixie Flyer" since 1902 was discontinued. The Terre Haute freight house moved fix>m v^jtown to Baker Yard. Baker Yard in full service at Teree Haute. "The Dixieland" makes last trip Chicago to Florida, leaving the C&EI vdthoub regular through sleeping car service between Chicago and Florida for the first time since early in the century. Highest gross revenue in C&EI history (|38,273>878.00). Freight train revenue also the highest in the history of the company ($32,650,379.00). That portion of the line Danville, Illinois to Clinton, Indiana being converted to single track vdth CTC. Union Station at Terre Haute, Indiana built in 1392 being demoli^ed, C&EI General Offices move from Chicago to Chicago Heights, Illinois. All passenger train service on the C&EI between Chicago and Southern Illinois discontinued. Hearing being held before the ICC examiner to determine ^o magr control the C&EI. ^ •^^^4'