!:l!i:;:ii!;iT:i . : .v..:.' : ■-.■■■: .:
■'..: : ;
' V;ii: i: -". . 'j
iMkiu* 5X80 ^3
Section . 5. Rt>
Seventy Years History
Lutheran and Reformed Congregations
Rittersville, Lehigh Co., Penna.
With Complete Records of All Members of Both Congregations
and Sunday Schools.
201-209 North Second Street
tfje'tfacreb memorp of tijosfe tofjo sleep ailentlp in tfje
abjotmng cemetery of
&atnt $eter'2 ®mon Cfmrcf),
iRittf rsbilir, ^rnnsplbania
Seventy years history of a church is of such signifi-
cance to a community, that it should even at this late date
be put into permanent form for the perusal and benefit of
the present and future generations. Present generations
would fail in their duties to posterity unless they per-
formed their part to keep green the memories of their fore-
bears and the spiritual home in which they worshipped.
The growth of these congregations in their early years was
somewhat tardy but the progressive spirit of the commun-
ity at this time is equally evident in the congregations both
from a spiritual and material standpoint. These sentiments
have prompted the publication of this little volume. .
The following persons constituted the Historical Com-
mittees : Reformed, Rev. J. S. Bartholomew, Walter C.
Arndt, chairman; Printon Hoch, Clayton Heiney, and Wil-
son H. Ehret. Lutheran, Rev. I. B. Ritter, Dr. R. B.
Klotz, Harvey, Billheimer, O. F. Walter and Robert Reich-
These committees of both congregations gratefully
acknowledge the efficient and valuable services rendered
them by Mr. William J. Dietrich, of Allentown, Pa.
History of St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran
and Reformed Church
of Rittersville, Pennsylvania
The church records of this union church contain the
following facts, which translated read as follows:
The inhabitants or citizens of the surrounding coun-
try, who are at present members and jointly worship God
in this, St. Peter's Church, were formerly members of sur-
rounding congregations. But as the population increased,
and the churches were so far distant, they felt the neces-
sity of having a church of their own. On the second Tues-
day in January, 1842, a meeting was held at the home of
Michael Ritter where the matter of building a church of
their own at Rittersville was discussed and favorably con-
sidered. Subsequent meetings were held, when they finally
concluded to try, and if possible, build a church. An
organization was effected, and the following committee
was appointed — Jacob Bast, Michael Ritter and Solomon
Flores — to find a suitable tract of ground for a church
building and cemetery. They soon found a suitable strip of
land, located on the property of the Michael Ritter estate
then held by his son, Thomas, where the church now stands.
The committee reported to the members who were all well-
satisfied with their selection. Mr. Ritter then withdrew as
a member of the committee and Samuel Knauss was ap-
pointed in his place. They were instructed to purchase the
land, if possible, which they later did for thirty ($30.00)
dollars. The following gentlemen, viz., Isaac McHose
and Floritan Hoehle, were then appointed as a committee
to secure subscriptions for a building fund. After the com-
mittee had seen the majority of the people in the commun-
ity, they reported that a sufficient sum had been subscribed
to warrant them to commence building operations.
A union organization was then effected for the erec-
tion of a union church. A building committee was then
appointed, consisting of Leonard I^aubach, Isaac McHose,
8 CHURCH HISTORY.
Chas. Ritter and Samuel Knauss, who awarded the con-
tract for the erection of the church to David Minnich for
one thousand and sixty dollars ($1060.00). The materials
were gathered and building commenced. They were soon
ready for the laying of the corner-stone. At a meeting
held the last Tuesday in March, 1842, a dispute arose con-
cerning the naming of the church. One man contending
it should be named St. Solomon's, another desired that it
be called St. Peter's. The following evening it was de-
cided by a vote of seven to six to call it St. Peter's. From
this time the name Solomon entirely disappears from the
history of the congregation. The day was decided upon
and several ministers were invited, all of whom presented
excuses, except the Rev. Joshua Yeager, a Lutheran
preacher of Allentown, Pa., who therefore, officiated alone,
and thus the corner-stone was laid on Sunday, May 8, 1842.
The building committee continued its work with renewed
vigor and in about three months the church was completed,
and preparations were made for its dedication, which took
place on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28, 1842.
Several pastors were invited and all accepted. On Satur-
day forenoon, the Rev. I. T. Hecht, a Lutheran clergyman
from Easton, Pa., officiated, and in the afternoon the Rev.
I. C. Becker, D.D., a Reformed clergyman from near
Kreidersville. On Sunday morning, the Rev. Mr. Eber-
man, of the Brethren Church (Moravian) from Bethle-
hem, Pa., and in the afternoon, the Rev. J. S. Dubbs, Re-
formed pastor from Allentown, Pa., officiated.
The church building being completed, the congrega-
tions were in need of pastors and choir leader. At an elec-
tion subsequently held, the following persons were elected :
Lutheran Church Council : Elders, Michael Ritter and
George Reichert ; Deacons, Jacob Stump and Charles Col-
ver; Trustee, Jacob Bast. Reformed Church Council:
Elders, Isaac McHose and Jacob Keiper ; Deacons, Manas-
sas Quier and John Laubach ; Trustee, Leonard Laubach ;
Treasurer, for both congregations, Charles Ritter. Luth-
eran pastor, Rev. Joshua Yeager, and Reformed pastor,
Rev. J. S. Dubbs; Chorister, Jedidia Weiss, of Bethlehem,
Both pastors and the chorister received a salary of
forty ($40.00) dollars per annum, until 1856, when the
Lutheran pastor received an increase of ten dollars per an-
num. In 1858 both pastors received forty-five ($45.00)
dollars and the organist, Owen Leopold, forty ($40.00)
CHURCH HISTORY. 9
In 1855 the congregations purchased their first organ.
A Hughes & Hale cabinet organ, for which they paid two
hundred ($200.00) dollars. During the previous years the
only instrument used was a violin, which was always used
by the Chorister, Mr. Weiss, in leading the singing. After
the organ was purchased, Mr. Weiss resigned, and the first
organist elected, was Owen Leopold, who later entered the
Lutheran ministry, and served several country parishes in
Lehigh County. At the time of his death, June 10, 1904,
he was the pastor of the large Fogelsville charge. After
O. Leopold, the following served as organists for both con-
gregations: E. J. Reinhard, Charles Transue, C. Ron-
thaler, Alfred Fatzinger, Mr. Unger, Joshua Hendricks,
G. C. Souders, Milton T. Reichart, John M. Diefenderfer,
Isaac Bartholomew, Florence Brobst, and Edwin P. Lau-
bach, who is still (1907) serving as organist for the Re-
formed congregation. In 1906 each congregation organized
its own choir, and the Lutheran congregation elected Hor-
ace O. Warmkessel, who is the present organist (1907).
The following clergymen served as pastors of the con-
Rev. J. S. Dubbs, D.D., 1842-1856.
Rev. D. F. Brendel, D.D., 1 856-1 865.
Rev. Isaac K. Loos, D.D., 1866-1889.
Rev. Tobias Kessler, 1889- 1892.
Rev. J. De Long, D.D., 1892-1900.
IZ: £<?Ste£ \ '9^902 (supply).
Rev. F. A. Moyer, 1902-1905.
Rev. F. A. Guth, 1905-1911.
Rev. J. S. Bartholomew, 191 1 .
Rev. Joshua Yeager, 1842- 1887.
Rev. A. R. Home, D.D., 1887-1903.
Rev. E. H. Eberts, 1903- 1904.
Rev. A. O. Ebert, 1904- 1906.
Rev. I. B. Ritter, 1906 .
In 1899 the old church was remodeled and an addition
built to the south side, making it an L church. The con-
tractor for building the L addition was Mr. Charles Rit-
ter, who was paid $1,023. The interior of the old church
IO CHURCH HISTORY.
was also renovated and the small square windows torn out
and larger and more modern windows inserted.
The services were almost all conducted in the German
language until about the year 1897, when we note that an
English pulpit Bible was purchased from T. H. Diehl, Al-
lentown, Pa., for five ($5.00) dollars. The same year
electric lights were installed by Contractor U. H. Wieand
Both congregations prospered and grew rapidly under
the joint regulations. But it was felt that both congrega-
tions would be mutually benefited if each would conduct
its own affairs, hence the joint relations exclusive of prop-
erty was dissolved and in 1893 each congregation adopted
a constitution governing its own affairs and joint rules and
regulations governing the St. Peter's Union Church and
Cemetery were ordered printed and adopted August 16,
The Sunday-school was organized as a union school
and remained such until January, 1906, when it was unani-
mously resolved to organize two schools, a Lutheran and
Reformed, thus enabling each congregation to conduct their
school on denominational lines, using the literature pro-
vided by its publication board.
The first communion services held in the present
church was on November 20, 1842, by the Reformed con-
gregation, when the following persons communed : Leon-
ard and Maria Laubach, Manassas and Julia Quier, Jacob
and Catherine Keiper, Elizabeth and Sarah Deily. Peter and
Magdalina Minnich, Isaac and Elizabeth McHose, John
Laubach, Hannah Albright, Katie Fatzinger, Margaret
Ritter, Daniel Keiper, Abraham Hackman, Elisa Hower,
John Knoll, Solomon Keiper, Joseph Moll, Abraham Min-
nich, Lydia Sliter, Aaron Mack, William, Charles and
Sarah Noll, Elizabeth Frey, Lydia and Margaret Minnich.
The first Lutheran communion services were held on
April 19, 1843, when the following came to the Lord's
Table: Jacob Bast, Michael Ritter, Samuel and Eliza
Knauss, George and Lydia Reichert, Miss Reichert, Henri-
etta Reichert, Carl and Magdalina Colver, Conrad and
Sarah Frey, Maria Hose, Jacob and Rebecca Stump, Hein-
rich and Margaret Gable, Nickolas and Catharine Wenner,
Thomas Ritter, Florentine Hoehle, John and Catharine
Eberhard, Carl and Dianna Ritter, Henrietta Miller, Jonas
Albright, John, Dorothea and Lucretia Hower, Adam and
Lucinda Walter, Josie and Maria Herbel, Joseph Deily,
William and Sarah Meyer, Carl Deily, Joseph Florey,
Susan Clader, Rosina and Louisa Hoehle, Elwina Baum-
gartner, Catharine Bast, Mesilie Hower, Elizabeth Hill-
man, Margaretta Flory, Maria Moll, Elizabeth Quier, Hen-
rietta Fenner. Total, 52.
The first class confirmed by the Rev. J. S. Dubbs,
D.D., Reformed pastor in November, 1844, consisted of
Josiah B. George,
Sarah Ann Bush,
The first class confirmed by the Rev. Joshua Yeager
(Lutheran pastor), December 25, 1844, consisted of the
Lydia Ann Snyder,
Lydia Ann George,
Lucy A. Kramer,
12 CHURCH HISTORY.
CONSISTORY REFORMED CONGREGATION.
Rev. J. S. Bartholomew, President.
Tilghman Moll, Vice-President.
Walter C. Arndt, Recording Secretary,
Printon Hoch, Financial Secretary.
Allen Schultz, Treasurer.
John M. Snyder, Trustee.
Wilson H. Ehret,
Board of Trustees.
Walter C. Arndt,
CHURCH COUNCIL LUTHERAN CONGREGATION.
Dr. R. B. Klotz,
Milton T. Reichart,
O. F. Walter,
O. F. Walter.
- ■ «W"-«..aBliMW
■^^ y 4 " .^Mul
i iff ■
# - "' JWB^'/a
St. Peter's Union Sunday School
The St. Peter's Union Sunday-school, at Rittersville,
Pa., was organized on the 13th day of May, i860. The
following were elected to serve as officers :
E. J. Reichard, Superintendent.
E. T. Trice, Assistant Superintendent.
Samuel Krause, President.
Christian Gross, Secretary.
Asher T. Ritter, Treasurer.
A. C. Roth, Overseer on Male Side.
Lafayette Colver, Overseer on Female Side.
At the same meeting the following teachers were also
Christian Gross, Diana Moyer,
Thomas Baumgardner, E. Amelia Walter,
Charles Wonderly, Fayette Colver,
A. C. Roth, Mary Baumgardner,
Asher T. Ritter, Anna M. Stump,
Oliver Walter, Sophia Stump,
Martin Hackman, Diana Ehrig,
Since the organization of the Sunday-school, the fol-
lowing have also served as superintendents of the Union
Francis Lehr, Robert Spinner, Edwin Osenbach, for
twenty-three years, his brother Tilghman succeeding him
and served for ten years, after which Oliver Walter served
until the separation in 1906 into two denominational Sun-
day-schools, namely, Lutheran and Reformed.
Present officers, teachers and members of St. Peter's
Reformed Sunday-school :
President, Printon Hoch.
Vice President, Alfred Hoehle.
Superintendent, Wilson Kichline.
Assistant Superintendent, Oliver Texter.
14 HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Secretary, Clarence Hoehle.
Treasurer, Wallace O. Snyder.
Recording Secretary, Robert Flores,
Organist, Prof. E. P. Laubach.
Deacons, Clarence Heiney and Charles Weiland.
Librarians, Oscar Snyder, Ada and Eva Kresge.
Supt. of Home Department, Mrs. Frank Walter.
Supt. of Cradle Roll, Mrs. Bayard B. Fackenthal.
Class No. i, Walter C. Arndt, teacher. Charles
Strohm, Edwin Quier, David Poe, John Ebelshauser, Hettie
Quier, Sarah Neitz, Maggie Flores, Lucy Kichline, Mrs.
Jeremiah Strohm, Louisa Reichert, Annie Strohm.
Class No. 2, Oliver F. Texter, teacher. Robert Flores,
Wallace Snyder, Printon Hoch, Jerome Brader, Elmer
Sandis, Frank Schultz, Charles Weiland, George Biegley,
Mark Van Horn, Clarence Hoehle, Clarence Heiney, Har-
vey Mack, Fred A. Schiffert, Harold Krassley, Harry Mil-
ler, Roy Clewell, Oscar C. Snyder, Howard Kresge, Philip
Ebelshauser, Oscar Patterson Raymond Miller, Herbert
Class No. 3, Mabel Brophy, teacher. Thomas Poe,
William Van Horn, Frank Brophy, Harold Flores, Roy
Patterson, Steward Yelles, Ray Miller, Howard Newhard,
Frank Bowers, Henry Frederick
Class No. 4, Mrs. William Osenbach, teacher. Mary
Ebelshauser, Florence Ritter, Tillie Brophy, Esther Gro-
man, Margaret Sebring, Hattie Harris, Margaret Clauss,
Mabel Keiper, Cora Glose, Cleora Ravert, Pearl Huber,
Ida Kreassley, Ella Sterner.
Class No. 5, Alfred Hoehle, teacher. Thomas Walter,
Paul Minnich, Thomas Martin, Paul Grube, Elmer Miller,
Paul Arndt, Earl Hartman, Robert Sobers, Edgar Sobers,
John King, Raymond Breganzer, Walter Laskowski, Har-
old Anthony, William Bowers, Henry U. Bartholomew,
Warren Siegfried, William Mack.
Class No. 6, Mrs. Frank Walter, teacher. Eva Kresge,
Mamie Butz, Ida Heimbach, Ada Krassley, Minnie
Heimbach, Ada Kresge, Agnes Devlin, Erma Harris, Lillie
Knoll, Jennie Werst, Myrtle G. Fink.
Class No. 7, Mrs! Alfred Hoehle, teacher. Mabel
Brophy, Helen Minnich, Helen Patterson, Hattie Bodman,
Florence Miller, Adeline Scholl, A. Brophy, Alavesta Roth-
Class No. 8, Prof. E. P. Laubach, teacher. Mrs.
Emma Bickert, Mrs. Mary Harris, Miss Carrie Flores,
HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL. 1 5
Miss Charlotte Mallatratt, Mrs. Sallie Snyder, Mrs. Re-
becca Christine, Mrs. Stanley Koch, Mrs. Oliver Krassley,
Mrs. Flora Klingeman, Mrs. Helen Bittenbender.
Class No. 9, Mrs. Oliver F. Texter, teacher. Annie
Ebelshauser, Mary Scholl, Helen Rube, Ruth Minnich,
Elsie Ruhe, Florence Worman, Mary Worman, Viola Sieg-
fried, Elsie Koenig, Elizabeth Ruppert, Esther Shireman,
Margaret Frederick, Irene Ravert, Hilda Keiper.
Class No. 10, Mrs. Frank Schultz, teacher. Margaret
Groman, Elsie Bachman, Ida Krassley, Winretta Laubach,
Florence Rothruck, Grace Groman, Lucy Flores, Hattie
Huffert, Margaret Miller, Helen Emery, Mabel Koenig,
Dorothy King, Oreda Frederick, Grace Minnich, Florence
Mertz, Hattie Rothrock, Mildred Nagel, Mildred Gilbert,
Class No. ii, Calvin S. Bartholomew, teacher. Mar-
ion Nippert, Harvey Kichline, Walter Flores, Stanley Go-
man, Albert Poe, Edgar Poe, Paul Greeves, Herbert
Supply teachers, Miss Katie Clewell, Mrs. Jerome
Brader, Mrs. P. Yellis, Mrs. Wilson Kichline, Mrs. Bayard
Fackenthal, Miss Laura Donnecker, Minnie Repsher, Mrs.
Charles Weiland, Miss Adeline Scholl, Mrs. Printon Hock,
Mrs. Milton Kresge, Miss Helen Patterson, Rev. J. S.
Bartholomew and Mrs. Rev. J. S. Bartholomew.
Infant Department, Superintendent, Mrs. Robert
Flores, Assistant Superintendent, Mrs. Oscar Patterson ;
Organists, Mrs. Charles Weiland and Miss Helen Patter-
son. Pupils, Stanley Freed, Thomas Grubes, William
Hartranft, Clarence Krassley, Truman Nippert, Chester
Rogers, Howard Ruhe, Harold Summons, Edward Texter,
Earl Herring, Dora Brophy, Helen Bower, Emma Flores,
Verna Freed, Edith Hoffert, Francis Minnich, Verna Ruhe,
Evelyn Summons, Mary Tuggitt, Beatrice Rothrock, Joshua
F. Bartholomew, Ruth S. Bartholomew, Hilda Sterner,
Nellie Sterner, Clifford Christ, Russell Gruber, Carl Min-
nich, Paul Miller, Willie Koenig, Stanley Rube, Charles
Siegfried, Thomas Gruber, Albert Ruppert, Henry Yonker,
Louis Miller, Hazel Appel, Elsie Brophy, Myrian Flores,
Grace Gerberich, Mabel Miller, Mirian Sebring, Mary Tug-
gitt, Louisa Shipe, Nellie Bower, Margaret Yauser, Beatrice
Schultz, Ada Jones, Mildred Flores, Dorothea Hoffert,
May Martin, Rachel Minnich, Eva Jones, Hattie Gruber,
Dorothea Schuffert, Pearl Siegfried, Pearl Summons, Ger-
trude Tregitt, Carl Brophy, Edward Martin, Paul Kresge,
Floyd Ritter, Paul Sebring, Lester Van Horn, Raymond
l6 HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Herring, Ralph Kressley, Francis Appel, Mabel Gruber,
Esther Harry, Esther King, Margurite Laubach, Hilda
Martin, Lillie Miller, Christine Ruppert and Florence
At the annual meeting of St. Peter's Reformed Sun-
day-school held on the first Sunday in January, 1910, for
the election of officers and teachers of the said Sunday-
school, Miss Annie E. Bachman was elected to organize
a home department, the object of which was to promote the
study of the Bible in connection with the Sunday-school,
among those who for any reason did not attend its sessions.
On February 6, 1910, Mrs. W. O. Snyder, Mrs. Frank
Walter and Mrs. Louisa Reichard were appointed as help-
ers and the home department was organized.
Literature was procured and the helpers went to work,
the first members being enrolled on April 3, 1910. At the
end of the first quarter, on June 26, 1910, the Superinten-
dent reported 35 members enrolled. On December 31,
1910, 46 members were enrolled and on December 31,
191 1, the report gives an enrollment of 78, while the re-
ports of June, 191 2, give a total membership of 86, with
Mrs. Frank Walter as Superintendent and the following
helpers: Mrs. W. O. Snyder, Mrs. Frank Walter, Miss
Ada Kresge, Mrs. Edward Quier, Miss Adeline Scholl,
Mrs. Charles Issler and Mrs. Louisa Reichard.
The Superintendent is Mrs. Bayard B. Fackenthal and
now has a membership of forty-seven. It was organized
at the same time the Home Department was organized, with
Miss Annie E. Bachman as its first superintendent, who
served until in the Summer of 1912, when she resigned
and was succeeded by the present superintendent.
THE CHRISTIAN ENDEAVOR SOCIETY.
This society was organized Sunday, April 28, 191 2, by
members of the Reformed congregation and Sunday-school
at the suggestion of the pastor and the above name was
adopted. The following served as its first officers : President,
Rev. J. S. Bartholomew; vice president, Clarence Heiney;
recording secretary, Clarence Hoehle, corresponding secre-
tary, Oliver Texter ; organist, Prof. E. P. Laubach ; assist-
ant organist, Mrs. Charles Weiland.
HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL. If
Present officers of St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran
President, Raymond Walters.
Superintendent, Dr. R. B. Klotz,
Ass't Superintendent, Robert T. Reichart.
Secretary, Howard Walter.
Ass't Secretary, Harry Shireman,
Organist, Milton T. Reichart,
Ass't Organist, H. O. Warmkessel,
Treasurer, Milton T. Reichart.
Librarians, Floyd Stanley, Arthur Rabenold, Clayton
Deacons, Harry Reichart, Robert Ritter.
Overseer, Oliver Walter.
Rev. I. B. Ritter, Dr. R. B. Klotz,
G. T. Osenbach, Oliver Walters,
William Bittner, Robert T. Reichart,
Herbert Walter, H. O. Warmkessel,
Robert Ruhe, Raymond Walter.
Mrs. Annie Kern, Miss Florence Frankenfield,
Mrs. Alice Bittner, Miss Gertie Weiser,
Mrs. Carrie Ritter, Miss Minnie Texter,
Mrs. Florence Fisher, Miss Alice Bower,
Mrs. William Osenbach, Miss Elsie Fenchel.
Miss Annie Walters,
Class No. i, G. T. Osenbach, teacher. Mrs. Clinton
Wehr, Mrs. Harvey Osenbach, Mrs. Milton Reichart, Mrs.
Eli Frankenfield, Mrs. Peter Biegley, Mrs. G. T. Osenbach,
Mrs. Wm. Solliday, Mrs. Joseph Knoll, Mrs. A. C. Osen-
bach, Mrs. Jacob Ross, Mrs. Milton Ritter, Mrs. R. B.
Klotz, Mrs. Alfred Seager, Mrs. Samuel Stump, Mrs. John
Koenig, Miss Lizzie Shireman, Miss Lizzie Knopp, Mr.
Class No. 2, Frank D. Herbster, teacher. Philip Ebels-
hauser, Carl Finger, Robert Knoll, Sauel Waller, Oscar
Maurer, Charles Symons, Benjamin Roth, Raymond Kei-
per, Harvey Mack, Harvey Texter, John Kuhns, Weston
Deily, William Flores, Edwin Brophy, Frank Texter, Clus-
ton Werst, Marcus Van Horn, William Leiser.
Class No. 3, Dr. R. B. Klotz, teacher. Miss Mamie
l8 HISTORY Otf SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Butz, Miss Martha Rodgers, Miss Ada Kresge, Miss Lillie
Knoll, Miss Eva Kresge, Miss Annie Harris, Miss Gussie
Brophy, Miss Mabel Brophy, Miss Helen Munuch, Miss
Ada Krasley, Miss Eva Bachman, Miss Florence Miller,
Miss Hannah Weiser, Miss Jennie Weist, Miss Minnie
Weiser, Miss Mabel Dilgert, Miss Florence Weiser, Miss
Beulah Moyer, Miss Lillie Leiser, Miss Hattie Bodman,
Miss Florence Nagle, Miss Erma Hams, Miss Elsie Osman,
Miss Stella Osman, Miss Marie Bodman, Miss May Kuhns,
Miss Minnie Conrad, Miss Alavesta Rothrock, Miss Hilda
Conrad, Miss Flossie Nagle, Miss Hattie Zeiner, Mrs. War-
ren Butz, Miss Florence Rinker, Miss Lizzie Boyer, Miss
Class No. 4, H. O. Warmkessel, teacher. Mrs. J.
Beidler, Mrs. Chas. Kratzer, Mrs. J. H. Peifer, Mrs. Wm.
Maurer, Mrs. Minor Kidd, Mrs. Rob't Reichart, Mrs.
Alfred Reichart, Mrs. Harry Reichart, Mrs. Wm. Roth,
Mrs. L. Texter, Mrs. Wm. Moyer, Mrs. H. O. Warmkessel,
Mrs. Herbert Werst, Mrs. Carrie Mertz, Mrs. Charles
Kogelman, Mrs. Howard Walters, Mrs. C. A. Werst, Miss
Mable Bickert, Mr. Harry Stump, Mr. Thomas Renner,
Mr. J. Henry Peifer, Mr. Charles Kratzer, Mr. Edmund
Walter, Mr. Samuel Solliday, Mr. Reuben Krauss, Mr.
Harvey Billheimer, Mr. Henry Eslinger, Mr. L. Kern,
Mr. John Beutel, Mr. Charles Martin, Mr. H. L. Werst,
Dr. C. C. Rodgers.
Class No. 5, Miss Alice Bower, teacher. Margaret
Groman, Mamie Kichline, Winrettis Lobach, Ida Krasley,
Florence Rothrock, Eleanora Wain.
Class No. 6, Miss Minnie Texter, teacher. Esther
Harris, Helen Moyer, Lillie Miller, Frances Walter, Lil-
lian Rabenold, Mable Rinker, Margaret Laubach, Grace
Minnich, Verna Ebert, Effie Sterner, Sadie Cressman, Ma-
Class No. 7, Mrs. Carrie Ritter, teacher. Edith Wal-
ter, Margaret Miller, Mildred Nagle, Mae Renner, Florence
Mertz, Hattie Rothrock, Eva Fetters.
Class No. 8, Mrs. Alice Bittner, teacher. Flora Kich-
line, Dorothy King, Esther King, Herman Werst, Mary
Fravel, Frances Apple.
Class No. 9, Miss Florence Frankenfield, teacher.
Mable Koenig, Hattie Hoffert, Hattie Piefer, Elsie Rhue,
Helen Rhue, Viola Seigfried, Delia Rabenold, Florence
Worman, Mary Worman, Marian Zartler, Ellen Sterner.
Class No. io, Miss Elsie Fenchel, teacher. Emma
HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL. 10
Knopp, Florence Finger, Ruth Minnich, Anna Ebelshauser,
Esther Shireman, Pearl Renner, Hilda Keiper, Margaret
Frederick, Stella Mentzell.
Class No. 11, Mrs. Annie Kern, teacher. Tillie
Brophy, Esther Groman, Mary Ebelshauser, Hattie Harris,
Margaret Clauss, Margaret Sebring, Emily Kichline, Mae
Kuhns, Helen Peifer.
Class No. 12, Miss Annie Walter, teacher. Florence
Ritter, Elsie Koenig, Mary Leiser, Pauline Fogleman,
Elizabeth Ruppert, Elsie Bachman, Mabel Keiper.
Class No. 13, Mr. Robert T. Reichart, teacher. Paul
Minnich, Thomas Martin, John King, Wm. Maurer, Earl
Hartranft, Paul Grube, Harold Anthony.
Class No. 14, Mr. William Bittner, teacher. Charles
Horn, Elmer Miller, Paul Arndt, Raymond Bregenzer,
Arthur Weiser, William Mack.
Class No. 15, Miss Gertie Weiser, teacher. Paul
Klotz, John Wehr, Elmer Rodgers, Truman Fogel, Edgar
Poe, Stanley Groman, Clifford Knopp, Wm. Brown.
Class No. 16, Alfred Reichart, teacher. Lewis Texter,
Alfred Poe, Williams Kuhns, Floyd Martin, Herbert Peifer,
Myron Nippert, Oliver Krasley, Henry Krasley, Herbert
Class No. 17, Herbert Walter, teacher. Thomas Poe,
Warren Acker, Leroy Patterson, Edward Kuhns, Frank
Brophy, Harold Flores, Harold Sebring.
Class No. 18, Raymond Walter, teacher. George Beig-
ley, George Blacker, John Horn, William Leiser, Harry
Miller, Stanley Siegfried, Wm. Van Horn, Wm. Osman,
John Mentzell, John Waechle, Charles Waechle.
Officers, 14 o
Teachers, 6 11
Bible Class, 32 70
Scholars, 48 67
Officers, o 3
Teachers, 1 6
Scholars, 41 92
20 HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Officers of Infant Department.
Supt, Mrs. F. D. Herbster.
Asst. Supt. Mrs. Agnes Shireman.
Organist, Miss Helen Walter.
Miss Lottie Hoehle, Mrs. Reuben Krauss,
Miss Florence Butz, Mrs. C. C. Rodgers,
Miss Edith Knapp, Mr. Robert Ruhe.
Mrs. J. Beitler,
Teacher, Mrs. F. D. Herbster. Mrs. Wm. HofTert,
Mrs. Thos. Shireman, Mrs. Harry Groman, Mrs. Roy
Werst, Mrs. Mary Reichart, Mrs. Wm. Krause, Mrs. Al-
fred Krause, Mrs. Warren Ritter, Mrs. Thomas Martin,
Mrs. William Christ, Mrs. Francis Martin, Mrs.
Hilda Christ, Mrs. Harvey Billheimer, Lester Bill-
heimer, Mrs. Arthur Fisher, Katharine Fisher, Mrs. Harry
Stump, Luther Stump, Mrs. Harry Mahlon, Ralph Mahlon,
Mrs. Morris Texter, George Texter, Mrs. Harry Reichart,
Teacher, Miss Helen Walter. Paul Miller, Edwin
Martin, Roland Daniels, Floyd Ritter, Lester Van Horn,
Earl Walters, Truman Kidd, Paul Sebring, Henry Yonkin,
Teacher, Mrs. Reuben Krause, William King, Walter
Wehr, Robert Werst, Wm. Waelchle, Clifford Christ, Paul
Renner, Chas. Siegfried, Albert Ruppert, Marlon Gilbert,
Teacher, Mrs. C. C. Rodgers. Hilda Stump, Hilda
Breisch, Elsie Breisch, Miriam Sebring, Esther Radel, Lucy
Koenig, Ellen Kichline, Naomi Kunkel, Catharine Camp-
bell, Thresa Kogleman, Evelyn Sommons, Mary Tugood,
Anna Sterner, Lillie Blacker, Mary Yonkin, Andrey Smith,
Teacher, Miss Florence Butz, Myrtle Sommons,
Urcella Nagle, Laura Ruhe, Sophia Unverzagt, Dorothea
Hoffert, Evelyn Rabenold, Mildred Flores, Pearl Siegfried,
May Martin, Etna King, Gertrude Tugood, Eta Jones, Eva
Jones, Louise Shipe, Ellen Sterner, Viola Laub, Rebecca
Krauss, Elsie Groman, Dorothy Werst, Ellen Bachman,
N. Walters, Pearl Huber.
Teacher, Miss Lottie Hoehle. Grace Groman, Elsie
Brophy, Francis Werst, Florence Ruhe, Dorothy Sommons
Grace Gerberich, Viola Kuhns, Esther Walters, Ruth Radel,
Mary Angehr, Dorothea Kuhns, Mabel Esch, Harold Gross,
HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL. 21
Teacher, Mrs. J. Beitler. Hilda Martin, Verna Ruhe,
Helen Maurer, Pauline Maurer, Francis Wehr, Helen Un-
verzagt, Beatrice Rothrock, Luella Rabenold, Florence Neff,
Mable Miller, Francis Minnich, Dora Brophy, Edith Hof-
fert, Carl Brophy, Clara Eschky, Jennie Blacker, Annie
Blacker, May Rothrock, Fanny Rothrock, Areda Frederick,
Mary Reaser, Theodore Rothrock, Hilda Sterner, Frank
Teacher, Edith Knopp. Edwin Texter, Truman Nip-
pert, Lewis Unverzagt, Howard Ruhe, Raymond Werst,
William Kichline, Paul Kuhns, Harold Sommons, William
Hartranft, Frank Kogleman, John Cauler, Earle Haring.
Teacher, M. Robert Ruhe. Harold Werst, Paul Fin-
ger, John Finger, Freddie Neff, Albert Werst, Stanley
Ruhe, Fred Buckmiller, Paul Worseck, Jacob Brown, Earl
Rothrock, Harvey Rinker, Erwin Rinker, Ray Herring,
Thomas Mahlon, Franz Mahlon, Alfred Kogleman, John
This league was organized principally by and for our
young people, September 6, 1907. Its first officers were:
President, Robert Reichart.
Vice-President, Harry Reichart.
Secretary, Elsie Fenchel.
Assistant Secretary, Ellen Kreiss.
Treasurer, Alfred Reichart.
Ushers, Floyd Stahley and Arthur Fisher.
Librarians, Raymond Walter and Robert Rhue.
Organist, Stella Mack.
Asst. Organist, Warren Butz.
The following are the present officials:
President, William P. Bittner.
Vice-President, Herbert Walter.
Secretary, Edith Knapp.
Ass. Secretary, Jennie Rodger.
Treasurer, Alfred Reichart.
Organist, Helen Walter.
Asst. Organist, Edward Rau.
Ushers, Arthur Rabenold and Robert Knoll.
Librarians, Edna Walter and Erma Harris.
LADIES' AID SOCIETY.
The Ladies' Aid Society of the Reformed congrega-
tion at Rittersville, was organized on January 17, 1906,
with a total of twenty-two members. The first officers of
the society were: Mrs. Frank Walter, president; Mrs.
22 HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Henry Elsinger, vice president ; Mrs. Edward Appel, secre-
tary, and Mrs. William Osenbach, treasurer. The society
at this time has forty-two members and have an amount
of upwards of five hundred dollars in their treasury. The
present officers of the society are : Mrs. Frank Walter,
president ; Mrs. Louisa Reichart, vice president ; Miss
Cora B. Ludy, recording secretary ; Miss Ada Kresge, as-
sistant recording secretary; Mrs. Charles McNeal, financial
secretary, and Mrs. Wallace Snyder, treasurer.
The Society in 1907 purchased a private communion
set for the congregation, also in that year made a large do-
nation towards the Sunday-school. The following year
(1908) they purchased the German Hymnals at a cost of
nearly one hundred dollars, and made a liberal donation to-
wards the successful convention of the Women's Mission-
ary Society of the East Pennsylvania Classis which was
held at Rittersville. Since the year 1910 they donate an-
nually a certain sum of money towards the Women's Mis-
sionary Society of the East Pennsylvania Classis.
This society of ladies was organized November 21,
1906. Its first officers were, Mrs. Elizabeth Klotz, presi-
dent; Mrs. Agnes Shireman, vice president; Mrs. Alice
Wickert, secretary, and Mrs. Laura Krause, assistant secre-
tary; treasurer, Mrs. Emma Reichart. That they have
been an active organization is proven by the status of their
treasury. They have gathered over $2,000 and thus shown
themselves worthy of the name of their society. The fol-
lowing constitute the present officials and members :
Elizabeth Klotz, President.
Matilda Saeger, Vice President.,
Alice Shireman, Secretary.
Emma Reichart, Treasurer.
Mrs. Mary Acker, Mrs. Emma Groman,
Mrs. Ella Bruisch, Mrs. Cora Gangewere,
Mrs. Alice Bittner, Mrs. Mary Hausman,
Mrs. Elizabeth Beitler, Mrs. Laura Krause,
Mrs. Emma Bear, Mrs. Anna Kern,
Mrs. Ella Billheimer, Mrs. Elizabeth Klotz,
Mrs. Emma Frankenfield, Mrs. Freeda Knodel,
Mrs. Elizabeth Finger, Mrs. Stella Kratzer,
HISTORY OF SUNDAY SCHOOL.
Mrs. Clarissa Kratzer, Mrs.
Mrs Kogelman, Mrs.
Mrs. Eliza Leiser, Mrs.
Mrs. Alice Mack, Mrs.
Mrs. Alice Osenbach, Mrs.
Mrs. Matilda Osenbach, Mrs.
Mrs. Jennie Peiffer, Mrs.
Mrs. Martha Ritter, Mrs.
Mrs. Ida Ritter, Mrs.
Mrs. Matilda Ritter, Mrs.
Miss Sarah Ritter, Mrs.
Mrs. Emma Reichart, Mrs.
Mrs. Sophia Roos, Miss
Mrs. Mary Reichart, Miss
Mrs. Mary Roth, Miss
Mrs. Mary Remaly,
Clara Van Horn,
REV. JOSHUA YEAGER.
He was born September 23, 1802, was baptized by his
father in infancy and confirmed by the same on the second
Sunday after Easter, 1817, and received as a communicant
member of Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church, Shoeners-
ville, Pa. His education was limited to a thorough instruc-
tion by his father in the three Rs. Equally thorough was
his religious training, since this was regarded as the chief
thing. Reading of the Scriptures and writing out what was
remembered, to the extent of a sheet a day, constituted part
of his home instruction in the family of Father Yeager.
His son Joshua had, it is true, received this thorough in-
struction, yet his education was quite limited in the sense
that the word "liberal education" as, at present, understood.
After he had attained the age that he could make himself
useful on the farm, his daily employment consisted in
manual labor, which, on a farm of 236 acres, left but little
time for study or recreation.
While following the plow one Summer day, his father
came out and accompanied him to the farther end of the
field. Joshua could hardly reconcile this unusual occur-
rence. But, when the end of the furrow was reached, his
father said to him : "Wait a little while. I have something
to tell you. I want you, with God's help, to become a minis-
ter." This unexpected suggestion really frightened Mr.
Yeager. "Come to my room to-morrow morning," continued
Father Y. "Leave your plow, there are others to attend to
it. I wish to give "you a three months' trial to ascertain
whether you have talent for the ministry ; if you have, you
shall continue your studies— if not, I will then tell you so."
Father Yeager handed his son a Latin grammar, saying:
"This is a comparatively easy study, but it will furnish you
a knowledge of the system of grammar in general, which
is so necessary for the study of all languages. Study this
two hours, and then ask me all the questions you can, about
what you understand and all that you do not understand
After that come down and go into the garden, and take
such exercise and do such work as you may wish. In the
REV. JOSHUA YEAGER
LUTHERAN PASTORS. 2$
evening you will again take two hours of study, and thus
continue on." In this way Mr. Yeager studied. His father
was a drill-master and disciplinarian, and knew how to
create and maintain an interest on the part of his student.
Especially, however, did he observe and keep a close sur-
veillance on the conduct of his son. He impressed him with
the importance and responsibility of the work, and constant-
ly urged upon him to observe such a conduct as is becoming
a candidate for the Christian ministry, and which may meet
with the approval of God and man. This education, so often
neglected on the part of those to whom young men who have
the ministry in view are entrusted, but which is so essential
to the formation of the character of the true minister of
Jesus Christ, exerted a most powerful and an abiding influ-
ence on the mind of young Yeager. To this may be attri-
buted, perhaps as much as to anything else, that devotion,
earnestness and zeal which characterized Rev. Joshua Yea-
ger's ministry through the long period of well nigh three
score years among a people whom he served so long and
loved so well.
At the meeting of the Evangelical Lutheran Minister-
ium of Pennssylvania, held in the week of Trinity Sunday,
1827, Mr. Yeager was examined with two other candidates
for licensure. Rev. Dr. F. W. Geissenhainer, of New York
City, was the chairman of the Examining Committee. The
examination was very thorough. Mr. Yeager well remem-
bers how he was examined on Oriental customs, and when
requested to translate the account of the Transfiguration in
Matt. XVII. into German from the Greek, Dr. Geissen-
hainer seemed well satisfied with the translation till the
Greek verb irposyxnlv was reached, when he was excited
and almost angered at Mr. Yeager's rendering, as he trans-
lated it: "they bowed as if they seemed to worship." Dr.
Geissenhainer thundered out, "What! not seemed so, it
was so," and remarked, "it can be seen with whom he
studied." The three candidates made a very satisfactory
examination and were admitted to the Synod licentites.
At the Synodical meeting of the following year, which
was held at Reading, Mr. Yeager's preparations were re-
ported "very good." On this occasion he also preached be-
fore the Synod on the last evening of the session, Tuesday
evening, July 3rd, 1828, on the text: 1 Tim. IV, 12-16.
From 1827 to 183 1 he was the assistant of his father
in his four congregations, Friedensville, Allentown, Schoen-
ersville and Hecktown. In 1831 his father gave him the
Friedensville and Allentown congregations and retained for
26 LUTHERAN PASTORS.
himself the other two. Upon his father's decease, in 1832,
he was also elected pastor of the other congregations.
Joshua Yeager's large field of labor extended over an
immense territory, and at least a dozen congregations have
sprung, in part or entirely, from his original pastorate, such
as Apple's Church, Hellertown, South Bethlehem, Bethle-
hem, West Bethlehem, Salisbury, Altona, Rittersville, Cata-
sauqua, Howertown, Bath, St. Paul's, St. Michael's, St.
John's and St. Peter's, Allentown, etc.
He remained the pastor of the Allentown Church (St.
Paul's) till 1853, twenty-two years. This congregation en-
joyed unprecedented prosperity during Father Yeager's pas-
torate. He preached regularly every two weeks and held
also week-day evening services. About the time of his
withdrawal from the congregation, Rev. Dr. B. M. Sch-
mucker, who followed Dr. Yeager in a very few months
to the better world, was called as assistant pastor by the
English speaking portion of the congregation.
Of the Shoenersville Church he was pastor a year less,
He was elected pastor of this church in December, 1832, and
continued till Trinity Sunday, 1885, over fifty-three years.
In connection with his father his ministration extended
over the same length of time.
The Lehigh Church, in Lower Macungie, Lehigh Coun-
ty, he served from August 21st, 1842, to Trinity Sunday,
1885, forty-three years.
The Rittersville Church was built in 1842, the congre-
gation having been organized by Father Yeager out of
Shoenersville. Here he preached his last regular sermon
on Ascension Day, 1885.
Besides these four congregations, he also served Jeru-
salem Church, in Salisbury, from 1843 to 1883, Macungie
from 1856 to 1867, and Hecktown, Northampton County,
from 1832 to 1842.
Besides laboring successfully in a large and laborious
parish, he took a great interest in the higher education of
our clergy. He was a member of the Board of Trustees
of Muhlenberg College from 1867 to 1876. He died August
1 st, 1888, aged 88 years, 10 months and 8 days. On the
following Thursday his remains were interred in Fairview
His wife, Maria, was a daughter of Jacob and Maria
Grim, of Friedensville, Pa. Together they were blessed
with two sons, Robert J. and Dr. Theodore C, and three
daughters, Mrs. J. B. Reeme, Amanda, first wife of J. B.
Reeme, and Sarah W.
REV. A. R. HORN, D.D.
LUTHERAN PASTORS. 2TJ
REV. ABRAHAM REASOR HORNE.
Rev. Abraham Reasor Home was born in Springfield
township, Bucks Co., Pa., and was a son of Daniel L. and
Mary (Reasor) Home. The home of his birth is still
standing on the farm that Dr. Home owned at the time of
his demise. He was born March 24, 1834. He attended
private schools and Pennsylvania College, at Gettysburg,
graduating in 1858. Early in life he took to teaching and
for three years taught public school half a mile from his
home. In 1854 he taught at Bethlehem, Pa. Erom 1858
to 1863 he was principal of the Bucks County Normal and
Classical School, assisted by Dr. H. L. Baugher, later Pro-
fessor of Greek at Gettysburg College.
Dr. Home was ordained a Lutheran clergyman in 1859,
together with Revs. O. Leopold and B. Zweizig, both of
whom have also gone to their reward. He had a charge in
Northampton County from 1863 to 1865, when he was
called to the Lutheran church at Williamsport, where he re-
mained until 1872. From 1867 to 1872 he was also super-
intendent of the schools of that city. From 1872 to 1877
Dr. Home was principal of the Kutztown Normal School
and increased its enrollment to over 500 students. At the
same time he also supplied various Lutheran churches,
Chestnut Hill, near Limeport, Pa., being one of them.
Dr. Home came to Allentown in 1877 as principal of
the Normal and Academic Department of Muhlenberg Col-
lege, where he remained until 1882. Then he was elected
president of the Texas University, and in 1882 and 1883 he
did institute work in Louisiana and Texas, and the follow-
ing year in New Jersey. In 1885 Rev. Joshua Yeager, who
had succeeded his father, John Conrad Yeager, in a large
Lehigh County parish, resigned because of his advanced
years. Dr. Home served the Shoenersville, Rittersville,
Friedensville and Lehigh Churches, also several preaching
stations, amongst which were the chapels at Seidersville and
Alburtis. He served as president of the large Allentown
Cnoference. Dr. Home was the founder of the National
Educator, at Quakertown, in i860, moved it to Allentown
in 1877 and continued as editor to the time of his death.
Dr. Home was a jovial Pennsylvania German. He
was a recognized authority on the dialect and published a
handbook on the language as spoken ; also botany, experi-
ments without apparatus, and was a frequent contributor
to educational and religious papers. He was frequently
28 LUTHERAN PASTORS.
elected to membership in the School Board of his ward in
Allentown, and always manifested great interest in the
work. He also served as a member of the Board of Con-
trol from 1885 to 1891. Lebanon Valley College, Annville,
conferred upon him the title of D. D. in 1881.
Dr. Home was married to Jemima E., daughter of
David and Sarah Yerkes. Six children were born unto
them: Sadie J., wife of Hon. Joseph Mayne ; Hattie B.,
wife of Harry A. Grammes ; David R., Esq., Thomas K. B.,
Augustus F., and M. Luther, now teacher in the Allen-
town High School. He died suddenly December 23, 1902,
and his remains rest in peace in Fairview cemetery, Allen-
town. Dr. Home was of a genial nature and generous dis-
position, always cheerful and a friend to rich and poor
REV. EDWIN H. EBERTS.
Rev. Edwin H. Eberts was a son of Charles Eberts and
his wife, Esther, a born Fehnel, and was born in Moore
Township, Northampton Co., Pa., Oct. 5, 1861. He re-
ceived his early education in the public schools of his native
township. Having fitted himself for the profession, Rev.
Mr. Eberts taught school in his native township for two
years and in Lower Saucon for eight years. While teach-
ing in the last named township, he was married to Eva D.
Apple, June 16, 1883. While residing in Lower Saucon
he held the office of Justice of the Peace.
Desiring to take up the ministry, Mr. Eberts took a
course at Muhlenberg College and later was graduated from
Mt. Airy Seminary, at Philadelphia, Pa., class of 1892. He
was ordained to the ministry in Trinity Lutheran Church,
Reading, June 1892. During the fall of 1892 he accepted
the pastorate of the Turbotsville, Pa., parish, consisting of
the Turbotsville and Washingtonville congregations, which
he served successfully for nine years.
He resigned his parish in 1901 and located at West
Bethlehem, Pa., in order to avail himself of the better
schools for educating his children. During the illness of
Rev. J. Steinhauser, pastor of St. Michael's, Allentown, he
served as supply pastor for about three months. Later he
accepted a call to the pastorate of the North Bethlehem,
Jerusalem, in Eastern Salisbury township, and St. John's
in Williams township. He resigned this field to accept a
call to the Shoenersville-Rittersville parish, in July, 1903.
REV. EDWIN H. EBERTS
REV. A. O. EBERT
LUTHERAN PASTORS. 29
He was installed September 27, 1903. His labors here were
exceptionally successful. New methods for conducting the
finances of the congregations, and liturgical services at Rit-
tersville were introduced and all looked bright for a suc-
cessful pastorate when he was stricken with typhoid fever,
which terminated fatally at his home, West Bethlehem, Pa.,
April 2, 1904, aged 42 years, 5 months and 27 days. He
rests in peace in beautiful Nisky Hill cemetery, Bethle-
hem, Pa. Four children besides his widow survived, Grace
M., Warren L., Charles T. and Helen A.
The subject of this sketch was a man apt to teach
and loved the profession. When a resident of West Beth-
lehem he frequently acted as substitute in the High School.
For some time he was a member of the faculty of the Beth-
lehem Preparatory School. He was a man who could
sympathize with those who tried to earn part of their way
through college. When the writer, I. B. R., was a student
at the Seminary, he showed him no little kindness, took him
into his home and assisted him in every manner to make
his stay pleasant and his work amongst his people profit-
His death came at a time when the Shoenersville-
Rittersville parish looked forward to a very successful pas-
REV. ALFRED OLIVER EBERT.
Rev. Alfred Oliver Ebert, of New Tripoli, son of
Amandes and Sarah A. (Moser) Ebert, was born in Lynn,
February 19, 1870. His youth was spent upon the farm
in Lehigh county. His early education was received in
the public and select schools of his native township, which
lays just pride to its good select schools where many
teachers receive their early preparation for the teaching
profession. Amongst the great number was the Rev. Mr.
Ebert, who taught successfully for three terms. During
this time he prepared for entrance at Muhlenberg College
in the fall of 1889 an( ^ was graduated with the class of 1893.
In the fall of the same year he entered the Lutheran Theo-
logical Seminary at Mt. Airy, graduating May 26, 1896.
On June first, of the same year, he was ordained to the
Ministry in St. John's Lutheran Church, Allentown, Pa.
The Audenreid-Beaver Meadow parish, of near Hazleton,
Pa., had extended him a call, which he accepted on June
30 LUTHERAN PASTORS.
With enthusiasm he took charge of the field, which
needed a conscientious and painstaking leader, the field
being Home Mission territory. St. Paul's, Beaver Meadow
congregation, had been temporarily organized March 16,
1896, without having a permanent church home. By God's
grace and blessing, Rev. Ebert gathered a nice congrega-
tion and aided them in securing their own church. In
May, 1897, they purchased a lot, laid the corner-stone Aug-
ust 22, and dedicated their church Dec. 26, 1897. The
same year they also purchased an organ, which was dedi-
cated Oct. 18, 1897. The Salem, Audenreid congregation
made marked progress during his pastorate. A debt of
$800 was paid off ; the floors were recarpeted, electric lights
were installed, stained glass windows were inserted and
other repairs were made.
His work here, whilst strenuous, was nevertheless
most pleasant and successful. He ended his work in this
parish to accept a call extended by the Shoenersville-Ritters-
ville parish, June 26, 1904, the same having been accepted
to go into effect August 1, 1904. On September 25, 1904,
his installation took place, the same being performed by
Revs. W. D. C. Keiter, president of the Allentown Con-
ference, and Rev. H. S. Fegley, his father-in-law. During
his pastorate he raised exceptional large sums for bene-
volence and made substantial gains in membership in both
churches. He resigned this parish, August 1, 1906, to
accept the call of the New Tripoli parish, consisting of
Ebenezer, New Tripoli ; Jacob's, Jacksonville ; Jerusalem,
Albany Twp., Berks County ; St. Peter's, Lynnville and
St. Paul's, Seiberlingsville congregations. Pie is now
preaching to his schoolmates, companions and neighbors
of his youth who look upon him with reverence and pro-
found respect. His present parish was served by the late
and lamented Rev. H. S. Fegley, whose homestead in New
Tripoli is now occupied by Rev. Ebert, his wife Annie M.
and their children : Paul F., Annie M., Alfred J., Luther J.,
Carl A. and Ruth F.
tEV. IRVIN B. F
LUTHERAN PASTORS. 3 1
REV. IRWIN B. RITTER.
The subject of this sketch was born in Breinigsville,
Lehigh Co., Pa., July 30, 1867, being the oldest son of
Dr. Nathanael and Anna Louisa (Bean) Ritter. He was
a confirmed member of Zion's (Lehigh) Lutheran con-
gregation of near Alburtis, Pa., and 'was the first member
of the same to enter the Christian ministry. Attended
public school and later entered the Academic department
of Muhlenberg College, where, after a year's preparatory
work, he entered the freshman class, graduating at Col-
lege with honors in 1890. Rev. Ritter is proud of his Alma
Mater and has been active in raising substantial amounts
from his own people for the support of the college and also
assisted other pastors in raising credible amounts. Entered
the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Mt. Airy, Philadel-
phia, Pa., in the fall of the same year and graduated in the
spring of 1893. He was ordained in St. John's (German)
Lutheran church, Philadelphia, Pa., and immediately took
charge of the large Pine Valley parish, Hegins, Schuylkill
Co., Pa. At the time he resigned the seven congregations
belonging to the parish, he could point to four new churches
erected during his brief pastorate. On August 20, 1894, he
accepted a call to the Zionsville (Lehigh Co.,) parish, con-
sisting of four congregations. Later the Zion Hill church
was detached from his parish and St. Paul's, Trexlertown,
Pa., added. His home church, Zion, Lehigh, near Alburtis,
Pa., was also supplied by him from October, 1901, to Oc-
On August 12 and 19, 1906 he preached trial sermons
in the Shoenersville-Rittersville parish, was elected its pas-
tor and installed December 16, 1906. His labors have re-
sulted in producing a steady growth of the congregation
and its auxiliaries which he assisted in organizing. A
summary of his work appears annually in the form of a
parish record published for distribution amongst his mem-
bership. Rev. Ritter was married to Martha M. Leo-
pold, daughter of Rev. O. Leopold, a former school teacher,
also organist of Christ church, Shoenersville and St. Peter's,
Rittersville, June 22, 1893. Unto them was born but one
REV. JOSEPH S. DUBBS, D. D.
Joseph S. Dubbs, the first Reformed pastor of St.
Peter's church, Rittersville, Pa., was born at the old family
homestead in Upper Milford (now Lower Milford Town-
ship) Lehigh County, Pa., on the 16th day of October,
1796. His grandfather, Jacob Dubbs, a native of the
parish Bismemsdorf near Zurich, came to America in 1732
and secured a tract of land from the Penns, on one of
the branches of the Perkiomen Creek where he erected a
small forge and engaged extensively in the manufacture
of guns and agricultural implements.
This business was enlarged by Daniel, son of Jacob,
father of Joseph, who, in course of time, erected a num-
ber of industries. Besides the forge he owned a mill,
a saw mill, oil mill cutlery, tannery and large farm.
He was the first to build a brick house within the
limits of Lehigh County, the brick for the building being
manufactured on his own land.
Joseph S. Dubbs was the youngest of a family of seven.
Having been baptized in early infancy, his parents were
very desirous that he should be properly instructed in the
doctrines and duties of our Holy religion.
In an unfinished autobiographical sketch he gives the
following account of his early Christian training.
During the long winter evenings we were required to
commit the Catechism and read the Psalter and New
Testament. We read alternately and the elder were the
teachers of the younger, and each one manifested a degree
of zeal and anxiety to excel such as is rarely found in
schools. On Sundays when there was no service in the
church, we were required to spend the forenoon in religious
study, but whenever it was possible we went to church'
and listened to the preaching of the gospel. After we re-
turned from church and had taken dinner, the Bible was
brought and the chapter from which the text was taken
read and commented upon. ,
When this was done we were allowed to enjoy a little
innocent recreation. The country schools of those days
REV. JOSEPH H. DUBBS, D.D.
REFORMED PASTORS. 33
were of course defective. He devoted special attention to
the study of the German language and became familiar
with it to a degree which was rather unusual. During his
early youth he also spent some time at a Quaker school for
the purpose of becoming more familiar with the English
It was about the time of his confirmation that he felt
an earnest longing for the ministry. In those days the
Reformed church had no Theological seminary, but a
number of its most prominent ministers took charge of
the candidates for the ministry. He placed himself under
the care of Rev. F. L,. Herman, D. D., who prepared many
candidates for his profession. For four years he was under
the instructions of Dr. Herman. The school which he
conducted was popularly known as the "Swamp College"
in 1822 he was licensed to preach the gospel with special
authority to administer the sacraments. He was ordained
in 1823 at Kutztown. His first charge consisted of Wind-
sor and Weiss churches. His salary from the whole charge
amounted to $100 per annum. In 1824 the Eplers church
and in 1826 the Hains church was added to his charge of
which he remained pastor until July, 183 1.
His churches were situated almost in a straight line
for a distance of almost thirty miles.
In 1 83 1 Father Dubbs accepted a call from the charge
in Lehigh County consisting of Allentown, Egypt, Union
and Jordan churches.
He remained pastor of this charge from 1831 to 1861 ;
during the latter years he was assisted by his son Alfred
and Rev. C. R. Hessler. It was while pastor of this
charge that Mickley's church was organized, also the St.
Peter's church, at Rittersville and he became the first Re-
formed pastor of both these congregations. He preached
the principle sermon on Sunday afternoon, August 28, 1842,
upon the dedication of the St. Peter's church, Rittersville.
In 1 861 he resigned the church in Allentown and he
continued to preach in the other congregations of his
charge until 1868, when he resigned and removed to Allen-
town, where he lived in retirement until his death, which
occurred April 14, 1877.
Dr. Dubbs was married twice, the first time in 1825
to Susan Getz, the second time of 1837 to Mrs. Eleanor
The first marriage was blessed with three children,
Rev. Alfred J. G. Dubbs, who assisted his father and after-
ward the pastor of Salem Refored church, Allentown.
34 REFORMED PASTORS.
The two daughters were respectively married to Owen
L. Schreiber and James O. Shimer.
By the second marriage he had two sons. Silas, who
died in childhood and Joseph H., who has for many years
filled a professor's chair in Franklin and Marshall College,
Rev. Joseph S. Dubbs preached over eight thousand
sermons, baptized 7,076 infants and adults, attended 2,778
funerals, solemnized 2,176 marriages.
REV. DANIEL F. BRENDEL, D.D.
Rev. Daniel F. Brendel was born January 23, 1824 in
Heidelberg township, Berks county, Pa., son of John and
Elizabeth (Fisher) Brendel. He was baptized by Rev.
Daniel Ulrich, a Lutheran minister. He was reared in a
Christian home and in his personal autobiography he speaks
tenderly of his pious mother, whom he worshiped and
loved. He attended school at Rehrersburg, in Berks county,
when eight years old, and has always been diligent in his
studies at school and in his attendance. Later he attended
Womelsdorf Academy. In 1841 he went to Mercersburg,
entering the preparatory school and prepared for college,
which he did in 1845, graduating with honors from Mar-
shall college in 1849. In the fall of the same year he en-
tered the theological seminary and in the fall of 1851 he had
completed his studies. The first sermon he ever preached
was in Kloppen church for Father Leinbach. In the spring
of 1852 he was examined, licensed and ordained by the
classis of East Pennsylvania, which met at Weisenburg,
Lehigh county. In June 1855 he accepted the New Wil-
liams township charge, which he served thirty-two years;
and in connection with the above congregation, he was
supply pastor for the St. Peter's Reformed congregation at
Rittersville from July 6, 1856 until 1865. In 1861 he
published "The Prodigal Son," both in the German and
English languages. In eleven years five editions in English
and three editions in the German language were sold. In
1875 he wrote "Lives and Labors of the Apostles," of
which 1,000 copies were readily sold. In 1873 he became
one of three ministers in the publication of the Reformed
Church Herald, which he and one of his three associates,
Rev. I. K. Loos, D. D., published with good results until
1877, when, owing to the business depression it was dis-
REV. ISAAC K. LOOS, D.D.
REFORMED PASTORS. 35
On September 2, 1852, he was married to Louisa,
daughter of Rev. C. G. Herman. Their union was blessed
with five children. The oldest son and daughter died
young. The wife for many years was an invalid.
Rev. Brendel labored for fifty years in the New Wil-
liams township congregation. He served Bethlehem for
six years as school director and introduced a uniformity
of books and served the board as its president. He was
also one of the organizers of the Allentown College for
Women and remained a director until his death. In the
year 1886 Ursinus College conferred the degree of D. D.
upon Rev. Brendel. In 1889 he preached the funeral ser-
mon for his friend, Dr. I. K. Loos. On June 15, 1862 he
took charge of South Easton, and served it nine years,
when it became self supporting
On December 10. 1865 he took charge of the Salis-
burg congregation and served it for nine years with much
success. At the time Dr. Brendel took charge of the
New Williams township church the congregation was a
mere handful and his salary was only sixty dollars annually.
Nevertheless some years later he built a new church at a
cost of $20,000 and the membership was greatly increased.
Arndt's church was also built as was the Altenau church
during his pastorate. These churches were included in his
charge. In 1897 he wrote and published "God's Plan of
Salvation/' and in 1898 he rewrote the "Lives of the Apos-
tles." His wife died at the hospital Nov. 4, 1898, at the
age of 72 years, 3 months and 18 days. She was buried at
Arndt's church in Northampton county, where the people
presented him with a lot upon their cemetery ; and there
his remains were also laid to rest, after a life full of use-
fulness, kindness and love for his fellowmen.
REV. ISAAC K. LOOS, D. D.
Rev. Dr. Isaac K. Loos was born in Heidelberg town-
ship, Berks county. Pa., May 15, 1830, son of Conrad and
Elizabeth Loos. His birth place was about three miles
northeast of Womelsdorf. In his youth his parents pur-
chased and removed to the Tulpehocken Spring Farm, a
large estate near Myerstown, Pa., and this the Doctor al-
ways considered as the old homestead. His early youth
was spent there attending the common schools and the
Myerstown Academy. Later he prepared for college, con-
nected with Marshall College, at Mercersburg. He entered
the freshman class at Marshall College in the fall of 1848
and graduated in 1852. He led the class in the classics
36 REFORMED PASTORS.
and literature and upon graduation the faculty awarded him
the honor of delivering the Latin salutatory. In 1854 he
graduated from the theological seminary of the Reformed
Church at Mercersburg; and on the 25th of May of that
year he was ordained to the holy ministry at Bath, Pa.,
by Revs. J. S. Dubbs, D. D., T. L. Hoffiditz, D. D., and
Cyrus Becker. In January, 1854 he had been elected pastor
of the Upper Mt. Bethel charge and he located at Center-
ville, Pa. The charge consisted of five congregations. He
served the charge faithfully and well for thirteen years.
In 1867 he was elected pastor of the Reformed congrega-
tion at Bethlehem, and at that time he moved there with
his family and it remained the homestead to the end of
his life. At that time the Reformed congregation wor-
shiped in the old Salem church, on High street, where
it remained until 1869, when the Lutheran and the Re-
formed congregations were divided and Christ Reformed
congregation was founded. Dr. Loos was the beloved pas-
tor and the congregation prospered and increased under
his care. From the original 150 it grew to over 700 in
1888. As pastor he paid for the entire lot and building
which cost over $38,000. In connection with this church
Dr. Loos served the Reformed congregation at Rittersville
from 1866 until his death. The following is recorded in
the history of that church concerning him :
"On June 30, 1889, our beloved pastor preached his
last sermon in this church, it being the last sermon of his
In 1871, Dr. Loos was elected Superintendent of the
Bethlehem Public Schools, and served until the office was
abolished in 1876. He supervised the grading of the schools
a graded course of study was adopted.
He was the arthor of "The Life of Cain," Salome, the
Dancer," and the German prayer book, "Tischegebete."
He also translated from the German Grob's "Life of Zwin-
gli." He was also a poet of ability and contributed to the
press, among them being "Grant Has Died." His attain-
ments and talents were of a marked degree. He was a
classical scholar and was well versed in Latin, Greek and
Hebrew. He had a wide knowledge of theology and was
was a frequent contributor to the Theological Review of
his church. In 1884 the degree of D. D. was conferred
upon him by the Heidelberg College, Tiffin, Ohio. He was
an able pulpit orator and had brilliant social qualities. In
1888, Dr. Loos was elected to serve the new St. Paul's
Reformed congregation of Bethlehem and was its beloved
REV. TOBIAS KESSLER
REV. J. F. DELONG, D.D.
REFORMED PASTORS. 37
pastor at the time of his demise. He was married in
1856 to Catharine A. Butz, the only child of Jacob Butz,
of Lower Mt. Bethel, by Rev. Dr. T. L. Hoffiditz. Eight
children, six sons and two daughters blessed their union.
Besides his widow he was survived by the following fam-
ily: One son died in infancy. W. C. Loos, Esq., of Beth-
lehem; Dr. Isaac B. Loos, of Scranton, and Miss Lizzie
A., Calvin A., Nevin J., Charles F. and Cora M. A brother
Wm. K. Loos, Esq., of Fort Wayne, Ind., and a sister, Mrs.
Levinia Hertzler, of La Platte, Mo., survived him. He
died at his residence, No. 29 North Broad street, Bethle-
hem, at three o'clock A. M. Friday, July 5, 1889, aged
REV. TOBIAS KESSLER.
Rev. Tobias Kessler was born in Schiers, Canton de
Grison, Switzerland, September 12, 1841, son of John and
Burga (nee Walser) Kessler. He was educated in the
public schools of Reading, Pa. and later on spent one
year in the preparatory school in Allentown. He pre-
pared for the holy ministry under the Reverend Doctors
Dubbs and Wagner and was ordained in the year 1880.
He served the charge at Leesport, Berks county from 1880
to 1882 ; and from 1882 to 1889 he served the charge at
Jonestown, Lebanon county, Penn'a. He preached as a
supply for the St. Peter's Reformed congregation of Rit-
tersville, from 1889 to 1892. He died on December 23,
1901, in his sixty-first year.
REV. J. F. DfXONG, D.D.
Rev. J. F. DeLong, a retired minister residing at
No. 12 Broad street, West Bethlehem, Pa., is a native of
Berks county, was born on November 8, 1847, at Bowers
Station, Pa., son of Francis and Esther (Schaeffer) De-
He preparted for college at the Keystone Normal
School at Kutztown, and entered the sophomore class at
Franklin and Marshall college at Lancaster, Pa., in the
fall of 1868, graduated from the college in 1871 ; and
from the Theological Seminary in 1874. He served the
following charges : Emanuel Reformed congregation, Wil-
liamsport, Pa., from 1874 to 1879; St. John's congregation,
in Bellefonte, Center county, Pa., from 1879 to 1886;
3^ REFORMED PASTORS.
the First Reformed congregation of Lewlsburg, Pa., from
1886 to 1 89 1, and the Reformed congregation of Freemans-
burg, Pa., from 1891 to 1905. In connection with the lat-
ter congregation he also served Bethany Reformed congre-
gation, at West Bethlehem, and the St. Peter's congre-
gation at Rittersville, Pa. His pastorate at Rittersville
began in June, 1892 and ended in the fall ow 1900. He
confirmed five classes of catecumens in this congregation,
namely: In 1892 a class of ten; in 1894 a class of eleven;
in 1896, a class of twenty-six ; in 1898 a class of seven, and
in 1900 a class of twelve, making a total of sixty-six con-
He severed his relations with this congregation at the
Communion in November of 1900, to give all his pastoral
duties to the Freemansburg charge and as a supply at
West Bethlehem until 1902, when he resigned the Bethany
congregation at West Bethlehem, to devote all his energies
to the Freemansburg charge, which he continued to serve
until in the summer of 1905, when he resigned from the
REV. FRANKLIN H. MOYER
Rev. Franklin Henry Moyer, son of Engle Moyer and
his wife Eliza, nee Semmel, was born in Allen Township,
Northampton Co., Pa., on Jan. 22, 1870. The family
moved a little later to South Whitehall Township, Lehigh
Co., Pa., where he was reared. In his earlier years he
attended the district school, later the Academy at Muhlen-
berg college. In the fall of 1889 he matriculated as a
student at Muhlenberg College. Two years later he entered
the Junior class at Franklin and Marshall College, graduat-
ing with his class in 1893. The following year he entered
the Theological seminary at Lancaster, remaining in mis
institution for the full course. Having been under the
care of Lehigh classis as a student he was examined and
licensed to preach the Gospel by this body in the Spring
of 1896. At about this time Zion Reformed congregation
was organized at Siegfried, Pa., which called him to become
its first pastor. On Friday evening, October 30, 1896
he was ordained to the office of the Holy Ministry and
installed as the first pastor of Zion Reformed congrega-
tion, the services having been conducted by Rev. W. F.
More, of Catasauqua and Rev. Robert Lisbuger, of Bath,
Pa., Zion's having been a union church, he preached only
REV F. A. MOYER
REV. F. A. GUTH
REFORMED PASTORS. 39
every other Sunday at Siegfried ; the balance of the Sun-
days were spent at Odenweldertown on the outskirts of
Easton, Pa. ; there services were conducted at a school
house every two weeks till the following spring, when the
Board of Home Missions stationed a Missionary at that
point. In the spring of 1897 East Pennsylvania Classis ap-
pointed him stated supply of Bethany Reformed congre-
gation at Bethlehem, Pa. from this time on services were
conducted at Bethany church, West Bethlehem, every two
weeks. This congregation and the borough of West Beth-
lehem were passing through a crisis. Employment was
scarce, there were many vacant houses and the little con-
gregation here suffered serious losses. The congregation
at Siegfried increased rapidly during this pastorate. In
June, 1901, East Pennsylvania Classis readjusted charges,
Zion congregation at Siegfried and the new church at
Walnutport were united into a charge and Bethany con-
gregation at Bethlehem and St. Peter's congregation at
Rittersville, Pa., were united into a charge. Whereupon
the latter charge called Rev. Moyer as pastor. Important
work confronted the pastor in his new field. Bethany con-
gregation immediately proceeded to cancel all church debts
and a new church building was erected. At St. Peter's the
union treasury was abolished and each congregation con-
ducted its own financial affairs separately with gratifying
increase in contributions for both congregational purposes
and for benevolence. The constitution of the church was
revised during this pastorate so as to bring it to meet the
requirements of the day. In May, 1905, East Pennsylva-
nia Classis again readjusted charges, this time detaching
St. Peter's congregation from the West Bethlehem charge
and uniting it with the Shoenersville congregation, form-
ing the Shoenersville charge. Rev. Moyer remained pas-
tor of the Bethany congregation at W. Bethlehem till Aug.
1908, when he moved to Los Angeles, California. After
a brief stay in the West, he was called to become pastor of
Grace Reformed church at Allentown, Pa., where he is
now enjoying a successful pastorate.
REV. E. A. GUTH.
Rev. F. A. Guth, of Allentown, Pa., was born near
that city, July 2nd, 1854, son of the late Levi and Lydia
(Wenner) Guth, and a descendant of Lorentz Guth, who
settled in Lehigh county, Pennsylvania, in 1737. At a
40 REFORMED PASTORS.
suitable age Rev. Guth was baptized and confirmed in the
Jordan Reformed church by the late Rev. J. E. Fogel, D. D.
He received his early intellectual training at home and in
the public schools, and he attended the Keystone State
Normal school, Kutztown, under the principalship of Rev.
N. C. Schaeffer, D.D., LL.D. He taught in the public
schools of his native county for a number of years.
In 1876 he entered the preparatory department of
Ursinus College, at Collegeville, Pa., graduated from
Ursinus College, with honors, in 1881.
In the year 1884 he completed the theological course of
Ursinus Seminary, and in the same year was licensed and
ordained into the holy ministry by the Lehigh Classis. In
May, 1884, he received and accepted a call from York
County, Pa., being installed in June of the same year at
Jefferson, York County. His efforts were a marked suc-
cess, until in 1900, when throat weakness obliged him to
tender his resignation.
In 1902 he became a supply to the Shoenersville con-
gregation, also filled a vacancy in the North Bethlehem
Reformed church, until East Pennsylvania Classis con-
structed Shoenersville charge, by uniting Rittersville and
Shoenersville congregations. After the construction of the
above mentioned charge, Rev. F. A. Guth became the pas-
tor of this flock, and served them faithfully until April
30, 191 1, when he accepted a call from the Jordan church,
of the Reformed church, consisting of Jordan, Cedarville
and Morganland Reformed congregations, succeeding the
late Rev. E. J. Fogel, D. D., of Fogelsville. The Jordan
Reformed church is the spiritual home of Rev. Guth. It
was there that his baptism and confirmation took place.
Rev. Guth was the honored president of the Guth
Family Reunion for a number of years, and he owns a
part of the original homestead of the pioneer Lorentz Guth
who in 1745 erected a large stone house, which is still
standing and is one of the landmarks of Lehigh county.
He was united in marriage, May 1, 1884 to Louisa H.
Troxell, daughter of David and Mary (Schaadt) Troxell,
of Lehigh county. Their union was blessed with these
sons: John L. Guth, who is a junior in the Theological
Seminary of the Reformed Church at Lancaster, Pa., and
Henry E. Guth, who is a student in the Medico Chirurgical
REV. J. S. BARTHOLOMEW
REFORMED PASTORS. 4 1
REV. JOSHUA S. BARTHOLOMEW.
Rev. Joshua S. Bartholomew, of Allentown, Pa., was
born March 22, 1863, at Bath, Northampton Co., Pa., son
of Joshua and Sarah Ann (Bleiler) Bartholomew.
The boyhood days of Pastor Bartholomew were spent
in the town of his nativity and his early training and in-
struction was obtained at home and in the public schools at
Bath. Later he attended the Academy and Ursinus Col-
lege, at Collegeville, Pa., the former for a period of two
years and the latter for the same length of time. He then
entered the Ursinus School of Theology, at Philadelphia,
and after a rigid course of three years he was graduated,
May 8, 1900. He was at once elected the Reformed pastor
of the Lenharsville charge in Berks county, which consists
of these six churches : Zion's in Perry township ; New
Jerusalem (Dunkels) in Greenwich township; Frieden's
(Wessnersville) in Albany township; St. Paul's in Windsor
township; New Jerusalem (Red Church) in Albany town-
ship ; and St. Paul's Christian Endeavor Chapel, Virgin-
ville. His total membership numbered more than 750 souls.
In the year 1908, Zion's Union Church in Perry township,
erected a new church edifice at a cost of upwards of $35,-
000, which is all paid. This church edifice is one of the
most beautiful in all Pennsylvania and stands as a lasting
monument to Zion's Church pastors and congregations. No
little credit is due unto Rev. Bartholomew for the part he
performed so faithfully and conscientiously in the erection
of this large and handsome edifice. On September 1, 191 1,
the Rev. Bartholomew accepted a call from the Shoenersville
charge, in Lehigh county, which consists of St. Peter's Union
Church at Rittersville, and Christ's Church at Shoenersville.
He began his ministerial duties on October 1, of the same
year. His installation took place in the Shoenersville
Church November 19, 1912. The committee who installed
Pastor Bartholomew into his work here were : Reverends
H. J. Ehret, of Bethlehem ; Edwin W. Lentz, of Bangor,
and Titus C. Strock, of Bethlehem. Rev. Bartholomew
moved with his family to Allentown, Pa., on April 1, 1912.
On August 5, 1883, he married Mary J. Funk, daugh-
ter of Abraham and Sarah (Hower) Funk. To this union
have been born four children: Calvin S., who is now a
student and is preparing for college ; Henry U., Ruth
S. and Joshua F.
rt S ,.; s_"
z . c c
_J <U - .
. r C • — **
u . <o "c
T f' *-
w u re
■M Q X,
rt ■" a,' £
- 5^ b
u rt u
2 ~~ '-
rt ^ a> "
i_i t. ni
■S u i_' E
<v .E ii =•*■
W 2 -J rt
~ • 'S -^
u « ,v<
_ £ !5 .e
E rt B *-"
- ' u ,
- . — i u
? _- j3 i/
i- /. - .t:
S- E.g t;
i- +- -
as ■£ -g
PROF. ISAAC H. BARTHOLOMEW
Prof. Tsaac H. Bartholomew, the principal of the Beth-
lehem High School, was horn at Bath, Northampton county,
Pa., Decemher 19, 1874. He is a graduate of the Broad
Street Conservatory of Music, Philadelphia, and at the pres-
ent time is the organist of the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church,
at West Bethlehem; is the Director of the Bass Clef Club;
and the Director of The Church Choral Society, Bethlehem,
Pa. He served Rittersville Union Church Congregations as
organist for six years and at the same time was the principal
of our public schools. He composes much of his own music
and possesses rare talent in musical lines.
MILTON T. REICHART
Milton T. Reichard was the organist of the Union
Sunday-school for a period of thirty-one years; and
of the Lutheran Sunday-school since its organization
E. P. LAUBACH
E. P. Laubach is the organist of the Reformed
congregation and previous to the division of the choir
in 1906 he served both congregations. After each con-
gregation elected its own organist he was chosen to
serve the Reformed congregation which he has done
to the present time.
HORACE O. WARMKESSEL
Horace ( ). Warmkessel is the organist and choir-
leader of St. Peter's Lutheran congregation since Feb-
ruary, 1007. He lias served as organist and choir
leader of the following churches: St. John's Lutheran
Church, Fogelsville, 1902-1904; Salem Evangelical
Church, Allentown, 1904-1906; and the Episcopal
Church, Allentown, from iqo6 until he began to serve
the present congregation.
Members of Reformed Congregation
The following are the names of the members of St.
Peter's Reformed congregation, as taken from the Church
records kept by the Secretary of the congregation :
Albright, Mrs. Thos.
Arndt, Walter C.
Arndt, Ellen J.
Auer, Mrs. Henry
Bodman, Jennie M.
Derr, Mrs. William
Dilgert, Mrs. Frank
Dilgert, Mabel S.
Dilgert, Hattie F.
Devlin, Agnes S. H.
Ehret, Mrs. Lovine
Ehret, Mrs. William
Fatzinger, Mrs. Ho-
Flores, Carrie *
Flores, Mrs. Preston
Flores, Mr. Solomon
Foulke, Mrs. Irvin
Foulke, Mrs. Oliver
Frank, Mrs. David
Fravel, Carrie M.
Fredrick, J. H.
Fredrick, Mrs. J. H.
Gruver, James W. H.
Hainey, Mrs. James
Hainey, Mrs. Edwin
Haas, Mrs. Milton
Heiney, Mrs. Cyrus
Hausen, Mrs. Martin
Hemsher, Mrs. Ben-
Heimbach, Agnes M.
Heimbach, Minnie A.
Heimbach, Lloyd E.
Heimbach, Charles D.
Herring, Mrs. Wil-
Hilbert, Mrs. Oscar
Hoehle, Mrs. Thos.
Hoffert, William, Sr.
Hoffert, William, Jr.
Hoffert, Mrs. Win.
Hoffner, Mrs. Fred-
Hucke, Mrs. Henry
Isler, Mrs. Charles
Keller, John S.
Keller, Mrs. John S.
Kleckner, Emma J.
Knoll, Mrs. William
Kocher, Margaret E.
Kressley, Oliver H.
Kressley, Ada M.
Kressley, Harold R.
Kresge, Mrs. Milton
Kresge, Ada R.
Kresge, Eva H.
Leiby, Henry W.
Lerch, Mrs. Roscoe
Lerch, Mrs. Cyrus
Mack, Oscar R.
McNeal, Mrs. Chas.
Minnich, Charles W.
Minnich, Mrs. Asher
Moll, Mrs. Tilghman
Moll, Mrs. Ephraim
Moll, Abner W.
Moll, Emma R.,
Moll, Birdie B.
Milter, Raymond E.
Nagle, Elwood J.
Nagle, Claude S.
Nagle, Mrs. Claude
Osenbach, Mrs. El-
Oberly, Harietta A.
Philips, Alvin F.
Philips, Addie M.
Petri, Mrs. Edward
Poe, Clarence B.
Remaly, Raymond R.
Roebuck, Mrs. Chas.
Roth, William P.
Roth, Mrs. Wm. P.
Roth, Mrs. Clayton
Roth, Mrs. Neddie
Schultz, Clinton R.
Schlichter, Mrs. Mil-
Seyfried, Mrs. Har-
Seigfried, Henry E.
Seislove, Mrs. Alfred
Snyder, John M.
Snyder, Wallace O.
Snyder, Oscar C.
Snyder, S. P.
Strohm, Mrs. Jere-
Strohm, William F.
Strohm, Annie M.
Scholl, Mrs. Augus-
Scholl, Adelina L.
Sterner, Mrs. Elmer
Walter, Mrs. James
Warnick, Mrs. James
Weaver, Mrs. J. W.
Weiss, Mrs. Edwin
Werst, Mrs. Clinton
Weidner, Sarah L.
Weidner, Annie M.
Weidner, Emma R.
Weiland, Charles J.
Zeiner, Charles S.
Zeiner, Mary R.
Members of Lutheran Congregation
The following are the names of all communicant, con-
tributing and charitable members of St. Peter's Evangelical
Acker, Mrs. Mary
Acker, Mrs. William
Acker, Mrs. Lizzie
Apple, Mrs. Annie
Aues, Mrs. Sarah
Austin, Hayden V.
Austin, Mrs. Lillie K.
Bachman, M. H.
Bachman, Miss Eva
Baer, Mrs. Emma
Banbach, Ernest F.
Banbach, Mrs. Amelia
Barndt, Mrs. Amelia
Bauer, Miss Alice
Bauer, Geo. J.
Bauer, Jno. E.
Beitler, Levi J.
Beitler, Mrs. Lizzie
Beitler, Robt. T.
Beitler, Marcus J.
Beitler, Robt. L
Beitler, Mrs. James
Biegley, Mrs. Aman-
Billheimer, M. R.
Billheimer, Miss An-
Billheimer, Mrs. M.
Bittner, W. P.
Bittner, Mrs. Alice
Blacker, Mrs. Elea-
Bortz, James D.
Boyer, Clinton H.
Boyer, Miss Lizzie
Boyer, Mrs. Sarah
Boyer, Edgar P.
Breisch, Mrs. Ellen
Bregenzer, Mrs. Hat-
Briner, Mrs. Minnie
Beutel, Mrs. Flora
Butz, Peter F.
Butz, Mrs. Celesta
Butz, Miss Florence
Butz, Miss Mamie
Butz, Mrs. Tennie M.
Clader, Mrs. Annie
Clewell, Mrs. Thos.
Chryst, Mrs. Emma
Conrad, Mrs. Lena
Conrad, Miss Hilda
Deily, Mrs. Hiram
Deily, Mrs. Alice
Deily, Easton A.
Diehl, Mrs. Lizzie
Eberhard, Wm. F.
Eberhard, Mrs. Jane
Eberhard, Harry C.
Eberhard, Mrs. Helen
Fegely, C. M.
Fegely, Mrs. Lavina
Fenchel, Mrs. Mary
Finger, Mrs. Lizzie
Fisher, Mrs. Arthur
Fisher, Mrs. Clarence
Flores, Mrs. Christi-
Flores, William T.
Fogel, Mrs. James
Fulmer, Mrs. Sallie
Fulmer, Mrs. Catha-
Gangewere, Dr. V. J.
Gessner, Mrs. Flora
Groman, Mrs. Emma
Gross, Mrs. Bertha
Harris, Mrs. Camilla
Harris, Mrs. Marga-
Hartranft, Mrs. Jen-
Hausman, Mrs. Mary
Herbster, Mrs. Stella
Hilbert, Mrs. Cora
Hoehle, Mrs. Polly
Huffort, Mrs. Emma
Huver, Robt. W.
Keiper, Raymond C.
Kichline, Mrs. Ala-
Kichline, Mrs. Hattie
Klotz, Dr. R. B.
Klotz, Mrs. Lizzie
Kleckner, Mrs. Lilly
Knodle, Mrs. Jacob
Knoll, Mrs. Joseph
Knoll, Mrs. Jennie
Knoll, Robt. W.
Knoll, Mrs. Matilda
Knopp, Mrs. Lucy
Knopp, Edith H.
, Mrs. Clar-
Kartzer, Chas. H.
Kartzer, Mrs. Stella
Kuhns, Mrs. Madi-
Kuhns, John G.
Laub, Mrs. Luella
Laub, Mrs. Ida
Lentz, Mrs. Estella
Mack, Mrs. Mary D
Mack, Mrs. Alice
Mack, Oscar A.
March, Mrs. Eliza-
Masten, Mrs. James
Martin, Mrs. Lizzie
Mentzell, Mrs. John
Mertz, Mrs. Eliza
Mill, Mrs. Forrest
Miller, Wm. B.
Miller, Mrs. Annie
Miller, Mrs. Katie
Miller, Harry T.
Moyer, Dr. Theodore
Moyer, Mrs. Fianna
Moyer, Mrs. Alice
Moyer, Mrs. Ella
Nagle, Flossie E.
Nagle, Hatie H.
Nagle, Mrs. Ellenora
Nagle, Mrs. Jane
Nagle, Mrs. Preston
Neff, Mrs. Frederica
Osenbach, Mrs. Alice
Osenbach, Mrs. Wm.
Osman, Mrs. Mary
Peifer, J. Henry
Peifer, Mrs. Jennie
Poh, Mrs. Ellen
Radel, Mrs. Mabel
Rau, Mrs. Minnie
Reichart, Mrs. Mary
Reichart, Mrs. Emma
Reichart, Mrs. Mary
Reichart, Mrs. Elsie
Reichart, Mrs. Ber-
Reichart. Mrs. Verna
Reinhard, Mrs. Lizzie
Remaley, Mrs. Mary
Rinker, Flora A.
Ritter, Mrs. Matilda
Ritter, Sarah M.
Ritter, Mrs. Ida
Ritter Mrs. Ellen
Ritter, Mrs. Warren
Ritter, Robert C.
Ritter, Mrs. Robert
Ritter, Rev. I. B.
Ritter, Mrs. Martha
Rogers, H. D.
Rogers, Mrs. H. D.
Rogers, Dr. Clarence
Rogers, Mrs. Jennie
Roth, William H.
Roth, Mrs. Mary J.
Roth, Mrs. Victor
Rothrock, Oscar M.
Rothrock, Mrs. Geo.
Rothrock, Mrs. Beu-
Roos, Mrs. Sophia
Royer, Mrs. Sarah
Royer, Mrs. Masie
Ruhe, Mrs. Rosa
Ruhe, Mrs. Jacob
Ruhe, Mrs. Stella
Ruhe, Mrs. Mary
Ruhe, Robert D.
Ruppert, Mrs. Kath-
Saeger, Mrs. Albert
Saeger, Mrs. Matilda
Schuler, Mrs. Ella
Seibring, Mrs. Martin
Semmel, Mrs. Amelia
Shireman, Mrs. Ag-
Shireman, Mrs. Alice
Shireman, Mrs. John
Shively, G. W.
Silfies, Mr. & Mrs.
Solliday, Mrs. Eliza-
Stump, Mrs. Amanda
Stump, Mrs. Delia
Symons, Mrs. Maria
Symons, Charle T.
Texter, Frank, Sr.
Texter, Mrs. Cora
Texter, Mrs. Amanda
Texter, Frank, Jr.
Trexler, Mrs. James
Unverzagt, Mrs. Lil-
VanHorn, W. F.
VanHorn, Mrs. W.
Warmkessel, H. O.
Walter, Mrs. Mary
Walter, Mrs. Cora
Walter Mrs. Katura
Walter, Mrs. Lucy
Walter, Mrs. Helen
Walter, Mrs. Bertha
Wehr, Clinton M.
Wehr, Mrs. Ida
Welchli, Mrs. J.
Wenner, Mrs. John
Werst, Mrs. Katie
Werst, Mrs. Sophia
Werst, Mrs. Sadie
Werst, Mrs. Elisa
Wieser, Mrs. Caro-
Wieser, Mrs. Ma-
Wieser, Gertie R.
Weiser, Mrs. Flor-
Wieser, John D.
Wieser, Mrs. John D.
Worseck, William T.
Tates, Mrs. Ida
Inscriptions on Tombstones
Found in Cemetery and Graveyard Adjoining St. Peter's Union
Church, Rittersville, Lehigh County, Pa.
Acker, Maria C
Acker, Cora A
Acker, Raymond J. .
Acker, Hilda M.
Albright, Matilda . .
Albright, Owen ....
Albright, J. Allen ..
Albright, Monroe J.
Albright, Oliver J. .
Albright, Charles W.
Allstick, Albert T. .
Anderson, Albert . .
Arndt, Willie F. . . .
Arndt, Raymond C.
Auer, Anna McC. . .
Auer, Charles A. . . .
Anthony, Nelson A.
Bast, Alfred M. . .
Barndt, Charles A.
Bauer, James ....
Bauer, William H.
Bauer, Clinton . . .
Bauer, Minnie R.
Beitler, Sarah A.
Beitler, James W.
30, 1 «8o
23, 191 1
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Beitler, Marcus S. W
Beitler, Harvey C.
Beitler, Elizabeth (nee
Beitler, Mary Ann
Bickert, William G
Bickert, Arthur F
Bickert, Howard L.
Bickert, Catherine A
Bickert, William T
Bernhard, Laura A
Biegley, Laura E
Bigley, Oscar A
Blacker, William H
Blacker, Oliver G
Brador, Edwin J
Brador, Eliza S
Bregenzer, Gottlieb F
Brinker, Paul I
Brinker, Hilda M
Boyer, Katie S. P
Boyer, Charles E
Beck, Elsie M
Brong, Lewis H
Brong, Minnie C
Brong, Andrew J
Brong, William H
Brong, Edwin F
Brong, Lizzie G
Brong, Annie M
Brong, William Joseph
4, 183 1
29, 1 86 1
Feb. 22, 1829
25. 191 1
23, 191 I
Clader, Emelina S.
Clader, William H.
Carey, Mary ,
Nov. 13, 1804
10, 1905 1 36
28, 1904 J 68
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Clewell, Mary A. .
Christman, Paul F.
Colver, Charles W.
Feb. 13, 1862
Nov. 27, 1839
Deily, Eli G
Deily, Irwin F
Deily, James ,
Deily, Adie ,
Deily, Irwin F. ...
Deily, Herbert D. .
Deily, Mabel O. . . .
Dennis, Emma ....
Deibert, Harvey S.
Deibert, John E. .
Diehm, Mary A. . .
Diehm, Thomas . . .
Dixon, Lucy Ann .
Diehl, Mana E. . . .
Eberhard, Catharine . . .
Eberhard, Henry W. F.
Eberhard, Henrietta . . .
Elsinger, Mary R
Elsinger, Geo. W
Ebelhauser, Paul Philip
Ehret, Harrv H
Ehret, Carl E
Ehret, Catharine C
Ehret, Elmira C
Ehret, Geo. F
Ehret, Wallace A. J.
Ehret, Grover C
Ehret, Oliver J. E
Ehret, Mary A
Ehret, Alfred T
5, 18 "
30, 1851; Aug.
17, 1854 Dec.
24, 1876 73
1, 1907 44
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Fatzinger, Mary A
Fatzinger, Ida V
Fatzinger, Catharine (wife of
Falkstick, Paul S
Flores, Lorinda M. A
Flores, Levin H
Flores, Maria C
Flores, Ella S
Flores, Alfred T
Flores, Carl W
Flores, Howard A
Flores, Charles R
Flores, Floyd T
Flores, Harry J
Flores, Franklin A
Flores, Harry L
Flores, Helen M
Fatzinger, Ophelia C
Fegley, Harvey G
Fegley, Helen M
Fegley, Bertie G
Foulke, Franklin W
Foulke, Sarah E
Foulke, William M
Foulke, Edwin H
Foulke, Alfred J. F
Fenckel, John G
Fenckel, John T
Frankenfield, Gertrude H. . .
Ford, Peter S
Ford, Jane A
Frey, Heinrich (married Eliz-
Frey, Sarah (nee Stump) . .
Mar. 19, 1792
Aug. 10, 1809
Dec. 16, 1820
Feb. s, i860
Feb. 16, 1783
Mar. 4, 1844
Oct. 15, 1900
16, 191 1
Feb. 8, 1822
Sept. 5, 1828
May 15, 1824
Jan. 6, 1829
July 12, 1877
Sept. 22, 1875
Dec. 27, 1876
July 13, 1859
Jan. 18, 1851
8, 185 1
May 12, 1905
Sept. 8, 1892
Sept. 10, 1856
Aug. 25, 1870
May 25, 1881
Apr. 3, 1909
Jan. 31, 1879
Aug. 25, 1879
Mar. 8, 1839
Apr. 14, 1843
Feb. 3, 1867
Jan. 3, 1869
Apr. 9, 1871
Mar. 5, 1867
May 21, 1839
5. 191 1
Sept. 4, 1849
Sept. 7, 1779
May 1, 1807
Apr. 3, 1807
Aug. 22, 1822
Mar. 13, 1824
Feb. 8, 1820
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Frey, Edwin (infant)
Frey, John G
Frey, May A
Frey, Sarah A
Frey, Joseph P
Frick, Ella E
Fritz, Sarah H ,
Dec. I2 :
Gangaway, Annie M
Gemert, Amanda H
Graver, William H
Graver, William Penn
Groman, Kermit L
Ginklinger, C. Herman
Ginklinger, Maria A
Gotz, Catharine (wife of Jo-
Gross, Fredericka (wife) . . .
Gross, John B
Harris, Irene J
Harris, Hilda I
Hausman, Raymond H.
Hauser, Joseph R
Haney, Samuel J
Haney, Minnie R
Haney, Grace A
Hellerich, Robert A. . . .
Hehn, J. D
Herter, Anna C
Hoehle, William S
Hoehle, Alfred P
Hoehle, Jeremiah G. . . .
Hoehle, Montana R.
Hoehle, Helen J
Hoehle, Elmer J
Dec. 13, 1802
June 21, 1829
Aug. 26, 1846
May 25, 1833
30, 1 89 1
Dec. 26, 1892
22 1 7
19, 1890I60I 8
20, 1904 72] 11
18, 1895 1 41
22, 1864I61 4
10, 1893 64 1 2
25, 1893I46 9
1, 1889 1
26, 1 89 1
6, 185 1
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Hoehle, Mary F
Hoehle, Flora A. . . .
Hoehle, Templeton J.
Hoehle, Alfred T. ..
Hower, Dorededa . . .
Horn, James S
Horn, Mamie M. ...
Horn, Morris T
Howard, George A. .
Hoxworth, Mildred .
Hinkel, Agnes L. ...
Hinkle, Mary J
Hinkel, Mary Ann . .
Hilbert, Benneville . .
Hervy or Henry ....
Huber, Charles C. ..
Huebner, William R.
Huth, Jennie C
Johnson, Laura M.
14, 1863 Sept.
Kelchner, Margaret (wife
Kleppinger, C. C
Kleppinger, Lizzie J
Kleppinger, Gertrude M. . . .
Klopp, Mabel M
Keple, Mabel E
Koenig, Frederick C
Koenig, Walter F
Koerner, Mary M
Koch, Susan (wife)
Kreamser, John T
Kuhns, Claude A. S
Kurtz, Alice E
Kurtz, Walter I
Kurtz, Charles C
Kurtz, Harry J
Kurtz, Mabel I
Kurtz, Edwin R
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Kratzer, Martha R
Kratzer, Emma S
Kratzer, Sarah A
Keiper, Maria C
Knoll, Benjamin F
Knoll, George H
Knoll, Alfred J. J
Knoll, George A
Knoll, Lizzie C
Knoll, Alfred P
Knoll, Katie L
Knoll, Ruth S
Knoll, Evelyn M
Knoll, Henrietta S
Kreiss, Sarah J
Keichline, Harvey D. P. .
Keichline, Marcus H.
Keichline, Morris R ,
Kemmett, Emmalinda K.
Kern, S. Floy
Kuhns, Bessie M. (infant)
Kuhns, Daisy S. (infant)
Sept. 29, li
Laubach, Joseph (son of
Leonard) Mar. 22,1798
Laubach, Mary Mar. 19, 1809
Laubach, Julian Oct. 18,1776
Laubach, Freeman T June 4, i860
Laubach, Leonard J Apr. 10, 1776
June 20, 1866)68
Mar. 31, 1869I60I
June 20, 1866I89I 8
Sept. 23, 1866J
Nov. 1, 1855 j 79| 6
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Layton, Benjamin .
Leonhardt, Morris .
Leonhardt, Mary . .
Laub, Mabel S.
Lerch, Mildred M. .
Jan. i, 1807
Maurer, Edwin V
Martz, William E
Marquard, Fred E
Mattis, Paul W
McHose, Elizabeth ....
McHose, Sarah C
Mellon, Oscar O
Menges, Sadie E
Miller, Isador F
Miller, Milton A
Miller, Floyd E
Miller, Florence M
Miller, Emily I
Miller, Glayds M
Mill, Bessie A
Minnich, Magdalena ...
Minnich, Maria Laura .
Minnich, Alfred A
Minnich, Alfred D
Minnich, Mantana S. (wife
Minnich, Thomas H. . .
Minnich, Elmer T
May 1, 1836
Jan. 20, 1856 1 6 23
Nov. 19, 1905
Mar. 14, 1879I75I 1I28
Oct. 10, 1899I59I 5
May 15, 1889I I
June 18, 1911 1 6| 10)28
26, i£ .
~ 7 5
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Minnich, Hazel Z
Moyer, Henry J
Moyer, Eliza H
Moyer, Dr. Alfred Z
Moyer, Mary J
Moyer, Walter F ,
Moyer, William H
Moyer, Lillie D ,
Moyer, Harry F
Moyer, Robert H ,
Moyer, Wilson F ,
Moyer, Ellen N
Moyer, Jennie M
Moyer, Sarah A
Moyer, Asher E. W
Moyer, Adeline C
Moyer, Charles P
Moyer, William M
Moyer, Harvey J
Moyer, Oscar C
Moyer, Alfred W
Moll, Alfred P
Moll, John O
Moll, Anna Maria
Moll, Welcome C
Moll, Irvin F
Moll, Laura H
Moll, Eliza J
Mosser, Annie S. E
Mosser, Mary G
Mosser, Helen J
Mosser, Margaret V
Mosser, Clarence A
Mosser, Diana Maria
Mosser, George M. T
Mosser, Diana K
Mosser, Queen M
Mosser, Michael H
Mertz, Tilghman H
Mertz, Eliza (wife of Chas.
Mill, Sarah A. R
Dec. 13, 1827
Feb. 25, 1832
Sept. 19, 1845
Apr. 18, 1862
July 23, 1889
Feb. 6, 1846
Sept. 18, 1843
Apr. 20, 1870
Aug. 8, 1882
Dec. 1, 1824
Dec. 4, 1864
Aug. 1, 1846
Jan. 27, 1812
July 3, 1812
Mar. 18, 1869
July 3, 1883
Mar. 23, 1888
Nov. 1, 1848
Apr. 23, 1830
Aug. 19, 1827
Apr. 20, 1868
June 29, 1835
Oct. 19, 1850
May 22, 1819
Feb. 23, 1857
Sept. 18, 1822
Mar. 31, 1845
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Mill, Sarah E.
Nagel, Alvin S.
Nagel, Ida H
Nagel, Minnie A.
Nagel, Robert B. . .
Nagel, Mella C
Nagel, Richard F. .
Nicholas, Henry W.
Nippert, Clarence J.
Osenbach, J. Peter
Osenbach, Catharine . .
Osenbach, Alfred C. .
Osenbach, Monroe . . .
Osenbach, Franklin H.
Ott, Catharine E
Opp, William H
Opp, George V
27, 191 1
Patterson, Paul A. . .
Patterson, Priscilla M.
Patterson, Sallie R. .
Peiffer, Isabella T. ..
Poe, Calvin E
Dec. 31, 1855
May 4, 1904
Quier, Manassas .
Quier, William A.
Quier, Sarah J. . .
Quier, George W.
Quier, A. L. M. .
Quier, Amanda S.
27, 1851I 6
1,1851 1 1
Reichard, John George ....
Reichard, J. Frank
Reichard, J. William
Reichard, Elizabeth (wife J.
May 15, 1831
2, 1858 1 75
24, 1 890 1 64
Nov. 30, 1900I69
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Reichard, Fianna L,
Reichard, Alice E
Reichard, G. Tilghman ....
Reichard, Amelia P. (wife)
Reichard, Clayton C
Reichard, John R
Reichard, Mary (living) ..
Reichard, Flora M
Reichard, Wallace A
Reinhard, Chester A
Reed, James W
Remaly, Allen F
Remaly, Roy W
Remaly, Minnie R
Rinker, Catharine E
Roller, John F
Roller, M. Alice
Roth, Robert E. P
Roth, James H
Roth, Helen I
Roth, Sylvanus O
Roth, Edwin H
Roth, Annie E
Ritter, Michael ,
Ritter, Susan ,
Ritter, Thomas ,
Ritter, Anna M
Ritter, Milton C
Ritter, Agnes M
Ritter, Oliver C
20, 1864] Sept.
5, 1866 Aug.
29, 191 1
28, 1 89 1
27, 1 847 1
23, 190 1
27, 1883 1 75
8, 1895 !44
30, 1 874 1 52
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Ritter, Annie R
Ritter, Fianna M
Ritter, George A
Ritter, Jane C
Ritter, Orlando J
Ritter, Sarah M
Ritter, Asher T
Ruhe, Laura M
Ruhe, Harvey R
Sauer, Nerva A
Scherer, Emma C
Scherer, Edwin E
Scherer, Helen E
Scherer, Raymond W
Schaffer, Morris T
Schaffer, Mary E
Shireman, Benjamin F
Smith, Mary R. E
Smith Kenneth R
Solliday, Charles F
Stehly Helen M
28, 1 80s
1 862 1 26
1 903 1 82
24, 1 909 1
20, 1 86 1
8, 1906 1
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Stehly, William T. . .
Stehly, Maria E.
Stump, Agnes M. . . .
Stump, Anjulina C. .
Stump, Elmira C. . .
Stump, Anna Maria
Stover, Leonard ....
Stout, Christiana . . .
Sterner, Nicholas . . .
Sterner, Elizabeth . .
Sterner, Sarah Anna
Sterner, G. P.
Sterner, Catharine . .
Snyder, Andrew W.
Snyder, Carrie B. . . .
Snyder, Agnes S.
Souders, Gottlieb . . .
Souders, Sally Ann .
Symons, James W. .
Symons, Esther I. . .
1, 1836 July
Nov. 6, 1883
13, 1876I 8
Tice, Monroe T. A Apr. 20, 1857
Tice, Henry F 1861
Tice, Allen R 1863
Tice, Harvey P 1869
Tice, Mary A 1873
Tice, Robert A 1880
Tice, Cora M 1883
Texter, Catharine C Sept. 6, 1909
Thomas, Joshua Feb. 20, 1825
Thomas, Catharine E Oct. 15, 1835
Trexler, Alexander W Nov. 11,1850
Trexler, Matilda Feb. 28, 1842
Trexler, Margaret Aug. 13, 1865
Trexler, Catharine M Sept. 9, 1909
Trexler, Elsie M jMar. 1, 1900
Trumbauer, L. S July 9, 1861
Trumbauer, E. C Sept. 12, 1885
1 874 1
1883 I I
19, 1910I I
1, 1891I I
21, 1903I52I 4
27, 1886I20 6
22, 1910I I 7
Urffer, James S
Urffer, Mabel L
Unverzagt, Reinhard .
1, 1902)23! 1I27
22, 1904I I I
6, 1909I39I 6(19
INSCRIPTIONS ON TOMBSTONES.
Volley, Paul ...
Nov. 18, 1908I
Nov. 2j, 19081
Dec. 1, 1908I
Walter, August D
Walter, George W. . . .
Walter, Hettie M
Walter, Bertie H
Walter, Carl A
Walter, James A
Walter, Oliver W
Welti, Henry H
Weil, Thomas P
Weiser, George W
Werst, Robert S
Werst, Richard I
Werst, Katie L
Werst, Harrison C
Werst, Ralph H
Werst, Clifford h
Werst, Bessie A
Wetzell, James E ,
Wetzell, Alice M
Weiknecht, Charles H. C.
Weiser, Jonathan H ,
Weiser, Stephen F
Weiser, Robert G. C
White, Sarah M
White, Walter Harry B. .
29, 185 1
Yingling, Sarah J JApr. 26, 1864I Mar. 8,1908!
Zettelmoyer, Charles A.
Zettelmoyer, Annie T. .
BX8043.5 .R6 S2A3
Seventy years history of Saint Peter's
Princeton Theological Seminary-Speer Library
1 1012 00040 9161