Skip to main content

Full text of "The Shoemaker family of Shoemakersville, Pennsylvania, 1682-1909"

See other formats


of ^i^atm^knmMit 


.: i 



■ 5'. 

i.r/.-.?,-..'i!a-~- :. V 





Pass C 3 7^ 

Book- >6 vy>y ? 


7^ a 



































Each successive link is holden 
/)'!' the one zchich goes be/ore; 

And the nezc is to the old on^ 
One link more. ' ' 

iRraiiiny. IJpmtei;luania 








'Tills work \v;is \iiulert akcn tlii-ough a desire ot some 
of the family to luive a record preserved, as perfect as it 
can l)e obtained, of the einiij;ration to, and the settlement 
of thcii- ancestors in this country ; and also of the situation 
and connection of their descendants at the present time. 
While there are some families throughout this country 
either hearing tiiis same name or being descendants there- 
from, and which are not included in this work, it must be 
understood that we have herein traced merely the descend- 
ants of Carl (Charles, Sr.,) Shoemaker, who was a grandson 
of .lac(»l) Schiunacher (now Shoemaker), who emigrated to 
this country from Cresheim, Germany, on the good ship 
.\merica, with Francis Daniel Pastorious and party, on the 
Kith of August. ieiS2. 


These records date from the first emigrant to this 
country by the name of Shoemaker, so far as tve know, 
and continues their genealogy to the present time. 


I— ( 







nf ^l^opmakerBuiUf, Pa. 

^■"j"^ HE Shoemaker family is one of the oldest in the 
I I I State of Pennsylvania, its ancestry dating back to 
I ^ J {)re-Revolutionary times, Jacob Schumacher (now 
Shoemaker), Georg WertmuUer, Isaac Dilbeck, 
Tune Kunders, Arents Klincken, Denis Kundore or 
Conrad, arrived from Cresheim, Germany, on the good ship 
America, with Francis Daniel Pastorius and party, on the 
sixteenth of August, 1682, and settled in what is now German- 
town. Pastorius located where he laid out Germantown the 
same year in which he and his party arrived in Philadelphia ; 
the land of the Germantown settlement having been taken up 
by them on October 12, 1682. The town formed by this com- 
pany consisted of thirteen families, but in less than five years 
fifty houses had been erected. Pastorious had an interview 
with Conrad at Crefelt, Germany, April 12, on his way to 
America. The first religious meeting, by Quakers, or Friends, 
was held at this same Conrad's house, in Germantown, 1683. 

Out of their Germantown homes, these emigrants carried 
the teachings of their fathers. It was because of the hatred of 
tyranny by these early settlers, and their love of home and 
country, that they sought an asylum here. It was because of 
this that the blood of these early emigrants came to be among 
the first that flowed into the veins of the new Christian Com- 
monwealth. The first protest against slaver}' — a public 


protest — was written by that noble-spirited German Quaker, 
Francis Daniel Pastorius, in 1688, and signed by him and a 
few of his fellow countrymen. Of Pastorius Whittier has sung 
in his "Pennsylvania German," and of him his race is proud. 

This company of emigrants, Germantown Quakers under 
the Germantown charter of 1690, headed by Pastorius, bought 
25,000 acres of land from William Penn. Pastorius was 
appointed attorney for the company. Jacob Schmacher 
(Shoemaker) was made sheriff of Germantown in 1690. He 

married Margaret . Their children were Georg, 

Thomas, Susanna and Jacob, Jr. In 1715 Changton Monthly 
Meeting issued a certificate recommending Jacob Schumacher, 
a merchant, and his family to Philadelphia ^Monthly Meeting. 
About this time he moved to Philadelphia. He was 17 years 
old when he came to this country, a brother of Georg and 
Peter Schumacher, and died ip 1722. 

Sarah Shoemaker, oldest daughter of Georg and Sarah 
Shoemaker, arrived in the colony some months in advance of 
her mother (a widow) , brothers and sisters, having accom- 
panied her uncle, Peter Schumacher, in the ship Frances and 
Dorothy, which arrived at Philadelphia, October 16, 1685. 

The marriage certificate of her brother, Georg Shoemaker, 
and Sarah Wall is in the custody of the Historical Society of 
Pennsylvania. Georg w^as a very successful farmer or 
"planter," as he was denominated in early deeds. He became 
the possessor of large landed estates, and was also a tanner, 
his yards being located on the east side of York Road, south 
of Taconv Creek. 


^ 2 

= X 

5i ^, 

• IT. 


Isaac, a brother of Georg and Sarah Shoemaker, born in 
Germany in 1669, when a young man, moved from Cheltenham 
to Germantown, where his uncle, Peter Shoemaker, had settled 
in 1685. Here was established the well-known Germantown 
l)ranch of the Shoemaker family. Isaac Shoemaker became a 
man of note, not only locally, but in the country at large, 
serving as sheriff of the county in 1695-6, and as burgess in 
1706. We learn from the minutes of the Provincial Council 
that "Isaac Shoemaker and his cousin, Peter Shoemaker, were 
authorized to arrange with workmen to build a prison house 
and put up stocks as soon as possible." 

Isaac Shoemaker was engaged in business as a tanner, his 
yards being on ]\Iain street (now Germantown avenue), east of 
the present Coulter street. That he was a progressive citizen 
and interested in the moral and intellectual welfare of the 
community, may be inferred from the fact that he contributed 
to the fund for the erection of a Friends' Meeting House in 
Germantown in 1706, and was a patron of the famous school 
established by Francis Daniel Pastorius, the greatest scholar 
of his time in Pennsylvania. 

The home of Isaac Shoemaker was near the corner of 
^lain street (now Germantown avenue) and Shoemaker Lane 
(now Penn street). This home remained in the possession of 
the Shoemaker family for over a century, until 1843, when it 
was razed. 

Jacob Shoemaker, Jr., and Elizabeth Roberts were married 
"2 mo. 24 day 1724." He was appointed sheriff of Philadel- 
phia from 1770 to 1772. 


Henry and Carl (Charles, Sr.). sons of Jacob Shoemaker, 
Jr., moved from Germantown, Cheltenham Parish or Township, 
to Shoemakersville — then a dense forest, almost an unbroken 
wilderness — about the year 1765, where Henry built the first 
stone house in 1768. He afterward sold it to his brother, 
Charles, Sr., who occupied it until death. 

In the living room of the old house, still in good condition, 
are painted these words : 

^'Gott segne dieses House 
Und alles ivas do geht ein und ons ; 
Gott allein die Ehr." 

These lines were covered over with whitewash for many 
years, until finally in scraping off the lime they were brought 
to light again. 

A marble tablet is built into the gable end of the house, 
upon which is inscribed, "H. & C. S. 1768." 

Charles Shoemaker, Sr., was born in Germantown in 1735, 
and died in Shoemakersville in April, 1820. He married Maria 
Kepner, daughter of Benedict Kepner, a miller of Bern Town- 
ship (now Bern Station) , owner of a grist mill, tannery, 150 
acres of land, two horses, five head of cattle and four sheep. 

The mill came into the possession of the Fisher family in 
1839, and was purchased from a Peter Bright, who sold it 
because he wanted to get nearer to the Union Canal, and for 
that reason bought a property near Bernville. A few j^ears 
later the Schuylkill Canal and the Philadelphia & Reading 
Railroad were built, both passing within a quarter of a mile 





ot the mill. Several years ago the whole exterior of the mill 
was given a coating of cement to preserve the walls, which 
were apparently too weak to carry the strain that would come 
upon them from the heavy rolls about to be installed. For 
three generations this mill has been owned by the Fisher 
family and has been in continuous operation. The builder 
built well, as the years have made little impression upon the 
old mill, which in its earlier days sheltered the Kepner family, 
dwelling rooms occupying one end of the structure, the usual 
custom then among mill owners. It also served as a refuge 
from Indian attacks and was known as "Kepner's Fort." The 
mill is now known as the "Monarch Roller Mills," Fisher & Co., 

After the death of Charles Shoemaker, Sr., his wife, Maria, 
moved to her daughter Sophia, married to Jacob Huey, of 
"Weidenshollen," a beautiful home east of Leesport. This 
home, owned later by Adam Huey Gernant, is now the prop- 
erty of John Unger, father-in-law of Rev, Edwin Gernant, of 
Towanda, Pa. 

Henry and Carl Shoemaker frequently went to Europe, 
and on one of these trips brought with them a pipe organ for 
the stone mansion at Shoemakersville. The Shoemaker family 
were farmers, tanners, merchants and statesmen. During 
Revolutionary days the men were away from home attending 
to affairs relating to their country — the women in their absence 
nobly taking their places. A tannery was owned and operated 
by the brothers, Henry and Carl, Sr., situated on the east bank 


of the Schuylkill river at .Shoeniakersville, bark for which 
was crushed with stones by the women. 

In 1765, Charles Shoemaker, Sr., bought of William 
Penn large sracts of land, a part of which was situated in 
Windsor Township, Berks County, a part in Buffalo Valley, 
Union County, and a part near Shamokin. 

The tract of land in the vicinity of Shamokin was 
used for pasturage for the Shoemaker herd of cattle, the 
animals grazing there from early in the Spring until late in 
the P'all. All of the cattle were branded with an "S" to 
identify them in case of theft or by straying to other herds 
in that region. 

Charles Shoemaker, Sr., also owned all of the land 
near Orwigsburg where the Schuylkill County Almshouses 
now are. This property was later owned by his son, 
Charles, Jr., who was the first Judge of the Court of 
Schuylkill County, Orwigsburg being then the County seat. 

Charles Shoemaker, Sr., exerted a large influence in the 
politics and business of the upper section of Berks County. 
He represented the County in the Provincial Conference, 
and also in the Constitutional Convention of 1776. He was 
appointed, in 1777, as one of the Justices of the Peace of 
Berks County for the term of seven years, and at its 
expiration he was re-appointed, serving until the adoption 
of the Constitution of 1790. He also officiated as a Judge 
of the Courts from 1785 to 1790. 


c '-' 

1 > 

n > 



The State Assembly, in December, 1777, appointed and 
empowered him to sohcit and take subscriptions for the 
Continental Loan. This service required a large measure 
of ability to fulfill the duties required. He was successful 
in obtaining quite a number of subscriptions from various 
citizens of Berks County to carry on the war with England. 
At the close of the Revolutionary War much loss was suffered 
l)y farmers and merchants from non-redemption of the loans 
they had made to their country in its extremity ; these good 
people showed their patriotism in deeds instead of words. 

Charles Shoemaker, Sr., acted as one of the Commission- 
ers who assembled at New Haven, Connecticut, in November, 
1777, to regulate the price of commodities in the Colonies. 
He represented the County in the General Assembly for twelve 
years — 1792 to 1801 and in 1810 and 1812— and was' in 
the Senate for four years — 1813 to 1817. He died March 
27, 1820, after living in retirement for several years, aged 
78 years, 2 months and 29 days. 

''Ruhet heir im Kuhlen Shoze der Erden." 

His surviving children were five sons and three daugh- 
ters : Samuel, Charles, Jr., Jacob 3rd, Benjamin, John, 
Sophia (married to Jacob Huey, of "WidenshoUen," East 
Leesport), Catharine (married to Jacob Dunkel), and Mary 
(married to Benjamin Kepner). 

Maria Kepner, wife of Charles Shoemaker, Sr., was born 
in February, 1746, married April 22 1767, had 9 children. 


48 grand children and 36 great grand children. She died 
September 3, 1831, aged 85 years and 7 days. Her funeral 
text was Psalm 116: 7-9, with the following inscription upon 
the tombstone : 

Gottes Ruh, Heimgaganen findest dn, 
Allen Traurigen und Muden, 
Geiht die Mutter Erde, Fried en, 
Sanjt und mildt decke dich zu 
Gottes Ruh. 

Charles Shoemaker, Jr., was born at Shoemakersville 
June 19, 1779. He married Elizabeth Kershner, of Phila- 
delphia Township (now Perry Township), November 22, 1801. 
They commenced housekeeping in the large log inn which he 
had built the previous year. In this inn all of their children 
were born except the two youngest, who were born in their 
new home, built in 1820, across the street from the inn. The 
inn was torn down in 1880 and the Metropolitan Hotel erected 
on the site. 

From October, 1791, to 1800, Charles Shoemaker, Jr., 
served as Representative from Berks County, and again in 
1809 and 1811. He was elected Senator in 1812. He 
served in the War of 1812 as Quarter Master of the Brigade 
of Pennsylvania Troops commanded by Brigadier-General 
John Adams. He died November 8, 1822, while serving as 
Associate Judge of Berks County. 


The children of Charles Shoemaker, Jr., and his wife, 
Elizabeth Kershner Shoemaker, were : 

Sophia, born June 26, 1802, died July 15, 1807 
Elizabeth, born January 8, 1804, died February 20, 1896 
Susanna, born November 21, 1806, died July 14, 1891 
Joseph, born December, 1807, enlisted in the Civil War and" 
never returned, being numbered with the unknown dead; 
Hannah, born June 20, 1810, died September 28, 1879 ; 
Sarah, born June 10, 1811, died February 5, 1885; Charles 
3rd, born July 30, 1813, was killed, about 1840, by a 
falling tree while cutting timber in Venango County; Edward, 
born May 8, 1816; died September 10th. 1904; Rebecca, born 
October 20, 1817; Sophia, born January 20, 1820; James 
Monroe, born January 15, 1822, died June 31, 1823. 

The first hotel in Shoemakersville, a large log house, was 
built by Charles Shoemaker, Jr., and conducted by him for 
many years. The famous Coleman Line Stage Coach, operat- 
ing stage lines from Philadelphia to Womelsdorf, Lebanon, 
Harrisburg, Lancaster, AUentown, Easton, Sunbury and other 
towns, in 1828 established a daily stage from Pottsville via 
Reading to Philadelphia and made Shoemakersville one of 
their stopping places. 

Charles Shoemaker, Jr., later built a brick house opposite 
the inn, into which he moved with his family and where he 
died. His widow left Shoemakersville with her nine children 
and moved to her old home, then occupied by her brother, 



John Kershner, and family. Years later when her youngest 
daughter, Sophia, was married to Charles Huey Mohr, of, 
Mohrsville, she w^ent to live with her at Mohrsville, where she 
died May 24, 1S49. She was buried at Zion's Church by 
the side of her husband and among his people. 

In 1812, Colonel George Shoemaker discovered coal in 
Schuylkill County and hauled twelve wagon loads of the 
fuel to Philadelphia, where he sought a market for it. He 
sold two loads, but the people not knowing hoF to use this 
newly discovered fuel declined to buy any more and the other 
ten wagon loads had to be given away. j 


The first house of the settler was built of logs, the chinks 
daubed with clay, and the roof thatched with long grass. In 
the later and better class of dwellings the logs were hewn 
square so as to need no chinking, the windows consisted of 
two small lead frames, set with a few tiny diamond-shaped 
panes of glass (or sometimes oiled paper) and hinged so as to 
open outward against the house, the doors were of oak plank 
and were securely fastened at night l)y heavy wooden cross- 
bars. In the center of the house rose a stone or brick 
chimney, about twelve feet square at the base, affording a 
fireplace large enough for seats to be placed at the side. To 
"lay the fire" was no small matter : for -the back a huge 
"back log," perhaps four feet long, was rolled in ; then on 
the andirons was placed a "front log" ; l)etween these were 
piled enormous quantities of small wood. 

The kitchen and the "best room" were the chief apart- 
ments. In the kitchen the center of attraction was the great 
fireplace, with its swinging crane and pot-hooks to hold the 
iron pots for cooking. A brick oven was built beside the 
chimney. This was heated by a fire of fine "kindlings," then 
swept clean, and the bread or beans set in to bake. Matches 
had not been invented, and the fire was carefully kept over 
night in the ashes. If it unfortunately "went out" it was 
relighted l)y sparks from the flint and steel, or by live coals 
brought from a neighl)or's hearth. The room was rarely seven 


feet high, and from the bare joists overhead hung bunches of 
herbs, seed corn, and long strings of drying apples. The 
furniture was plain : a tall wooden clock ; a high-backed 
wooden settle ; a dresser set out with the cherished pewter 
dishes; a spinning wheel, and perhaps a loom for weaving. 

The "best room" was used only on state occasions. The 
andirons were of brass that shone like gold. On the mantel 
shelf stood the high brass candlesticks and the accompanying 
tray and snuffers. Here, too, was the library, containing a 
few well read books— for books were scarce and costly, and 
reading was a serious matter, taken up for improvement and 
not for past-time. Among those few books were sure to be 
found the family Bible, Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress," 
Young's "Night Thoughts," Watt's "Improvement of the 
Mind," Fox's "Book of Martyrs," Addison's "Spectator," and 
Milton's "Paradise Lost." 

The front door was decorated with a huge brass knocker. 

The Mistress spun, wove, and stored her household linens 
in crowded chests, and scrubbed and scoured her floor and 
wood work. The happy burghers breakfasted at dawn, dined 
at eleven, and retired at sunset. On dark evenings, as a guide 
for belated wanderers, lighted candles were placed in the front 

In Colonial times nearly all kinds of industry were carried 
on in ways very different from those of to-day. There was 
very little machinery in the country, and many tools that are 


now common were unknown ; therefore it took much more 
labor to produce a l^ushel of wheat, or a pair of shoes, or a 
pound of nails. The people also lacked very many things 
necessary to our comfort and convenience to-day, either 
because such articles had not yet been invented, or because 
they cost too much. In farming, the chief occupation of the 
covmtry, the colonists had the advantage of a fertile soil: land 
was plentiful and cheap, and when one field was worn out it 
was abandoned for a new one. The farming implements were 
few and clumsy compared with those used by farmers to-day. 
Grain was sown by hand, reaped with sickles, and threshed 
with flails. Grass was cut with scythes, and the hay gathered 
up with hand rakes. 

Calfskin shoes, up to the time of the Revolution, were the 
exclusive property of the gentry ; farmers, mechanics, and 
workingmen generally were clothed in red or green baize 
jackets, leather or striped ticking breeches, and heavy cow- 
hide shoes — all home made. The women wore linsey-woolsey. 
Many sheep were raised for their wool. Beside wool, practi- 
cally the only fibers produced were flax, hemp and silk. 
Great forests supplied plenty of fuel, and enough lumber was 
sawed for the needs of the colonies. Much wood was burned 
merely for the ashes, from which were made potash and 
pearlash. Among the chief colonial manufactures were flour, 
leather and leather goods, hats, bricks, and coarse cloths and 
clothing, made mostly in the household. 


In household manufacturing the women played a very 
important part: beside spinning and weaving the flax and 
wool, they dyed and knit, made soap and candles, and did 
many other things that girls nowadays never learn to do. 
Mrs. Washington, it is said, kept sixteen spinning wheels 
running. The soldiers of the Revolution were clad mainly 
in homespun. 

On one occasion forty or fifty young ladies, who called 
themselves "Daughters of Liberty," brought their spinning 
wheels to the house of Rev. Mr. Morehead, in Boston, and 
during the day spun 232 skeins of yarn, which they presented 
to their pastor. Within eighteen months by one family in 
Newport, 487 yards of cloth and 86 pairs of stockings had 
been spun and knit. The ladies in their tea drinking, used 
instead of imported tea, the dried leaves of the raspberry. 

Ministers' salaries were generally paid in produce — 
wheat, corn, beans, bacon, wood, etc. On one occasion 150 
beaver skins were received. A farm of 100 acres was set 
apart by law for each clergyman, and also a j)ortion of the 
"best and first gathered corn." 

The usual mode of travel was on foot or horse-back ; the 
trip from New York to Philadelphia occupied three days if 
the wind was fair. Until after the Revolution, the mails were 
carried by postriders on horseback. Even a bridegroom, 
were he rich or poor, who sought a wife in a distant inland 
town, rode there on horseback and brought his bride home on 


a pillion behind him. There were few wheeled vehicles until 
near the end of the colonial period, and even these few went 
out of use during the Revolution. 

In all of the Colonies there were many white indentured 
servants — persons who were bound to service for some fixed 
period of time, during which they were little better than 
slaves. There were also negro slaves in every Colony, those 
in the North being chiefly house servants. 


Elizabeth Shoemaker* 

Elizabeth Shoemaker married Solomon Albright in 1844. 
She had six step children : One was Lieutenant-Colonel 
Charles Albright, a lawyer, of Mauch Chunk; John and 
Henry, of Reading; Kitty, wife of Henry Brobst, of Rehrers- 

burg; Mary, wife of Loose, of Myerstown; Harriet, wife 

of Frank Wagner, of Wagner's Mills, in LTpper Bern. Mrs. 
Elizabeth S. Albright lived with Harriet A. Wagner after she 
was a widow. 

Harriet A. Wagner had two children : Anson and Annie. 

Annie married Levi Stoudt, of Shoemakersville. They 
had one daughter, Elizabeth Albright Stoudt. Levi Stoudt 
died and the family moved to Hamburg. Some years later 
Annie W. Stoudt was married to Rev. Percy Shelley, pastor of 
the Reformed Church, at Hamburg. Later they moved to 
Florida and took Grandmother Albright with them. Several 
years later they returned to Slatington, Lehigh County, where 
Elizabeth S. Albright died and was buried at St. Michael's 
Church, in Upper Bern, on the family burial grounds. 

Elizal)eth A. Stoudt married Thomas Robinson, Camac 
Street, Philadelphia. 



Susanna Shoemaker. 

Susanna Shoemaker was married to Abram Fisher, of 
Heidelberg, September 3rd, 1830. He died January 5th, 1S43, 
leaving six children. Six years later she married Samuel 
Stepp. They had one son, James. Susanna S. Stepp died at 
Mohrsvillein 1885. 

James Stepp, of Mohrsville, married Sara (nee Haag), 
widow of Peter Metz, of Bernville. They reside at Mohrs- 
ville, where James Stepp is senior partner of Stepp & Heffner, 
proprietors of the Mohrsville Box Manufacturing Company. 

One grandson of Susanna S. Fisher, William Fry, of 
Mohrsville, married Elmira Peters, of Shoemakersville. They 
reside at Shoemakersville. William Fry is the Station Master 
at Mohrsville for the Philadelphia ct Reading Railway Com- 

William Fisher married Minnie Ulmer, oi Loudonville, 
Ashland County, Ohio. He is a leading merchant of the city. 
They have five children : Howard, Emma, Susan, Mary 
and Charles. 

Susan was married to a Mr. Yates, who died a few years 
ago, leaving one child. 

Charles Fisher married Polly Savage, of Upper Bern. 
They had two daughters : Alma and Mrrgaret. Charles Fisher 
died in Reading in 1878, his wife having died at IMohrsville in 

Alma Fisher married William Sponsler, of Milton, where 
thev reside. 


Margaret Fisher married Levi Kurtz, of Reading. They 
have two daughters. 

Emma Fisher lived with her aged mother at Mohrsville, 
and still lives there in the old home. 

iMargaret Fisher, of Mohrsville, married Jacob Snyder, a 
drover. They reside at Shoemakersville. One daughter. 
Alma, died. Two sons, Lloyd and Charles, and a daughter, 
Emma, and her two children live at home. The oldest son, 
Owen, resides at Mohrsville. He has two children, Alma and 



Joseph Shoemaker* 

Joseph K. Shoemaker married Mary Miller, of New York, 
who taught a private school at Kutztown before her marriage. 
They resided in Reading, Pa., and had six children. Joseph 
K. Shoemaker enlisted as a soldier in the Union Army during 
the Civil War and never returned home, his death being un- 
accounted for. His widow taught a private school in Reading 
for many years. Their children were: i\lfred, Mary Frances, 
Charles, Eliza Jane, Mary l^llen, and Sarah Henrietta. Only 
the latter two siu'vive. 

Charles U. Shoemaker married Rebecca Crillman, of 
Reading, Pa. They had one daughter, Mary Rebecca, who 
survives her parents, both of whom died in Philadelphia 
several years ago. Charles U. Shoemaker was a conductor on 
the Philadelpliia & Reading Railroad. 

Eliza Jane Shoemaker was married to Amos T. Hubbard, 
August 'J3rd. 1S66. Mr. Hubbard was at that time engaged 
in the book business in Philadelphia. They had five children: 
Alfred Elwood, Walter Warren, Florence May, Henry David 
and Mal)el Estelle, the latter still li\ing at homo. All of the 
others married, but Florence died shortly after her marriage 
to the Rev. Rittenhouse Neissee, of Philadeli)hia. 

Sarah Henrietta Shoemaker married Mr. David, of New 
York City, March .3rd, 1S7(). She has one son, Dr. I'rank 
Haines David, with whom she resides in New York City. 


Hannah Shoemaker. 

Hannah Shoemaker was born June 2()th, 1810. 8he left 
hei- home in Windsor Township when a young woman to hve 
with her sister, Sophia K., wife of Charles Huey JMohr, at 
.Mohrsville. She died September 28th, 1879. and was buried 
in the Union Cemetery at Mohrsville. 



Sarah Shoemaker* 

Sarah Shoemaker married Thomas Reber, of Shoemakers- 
ville, son of Adam and Mary Reber (born GLasser), of Kutz- 
town. They were married from the home of her uncle, John 
Kershner, Sr., in Windsor (now Perry) Township. They went 
to housekeepinjr on the Reber farm in Maidencreek. Nine 
sons and three daughters were born to them. 

[Adam Reber and wife (Mary Ghisser) bought all that tract 
of land at Shoemakersville of Charles Shoemaker, Jr., where 
now the I^nion Church is built and the Reber farms are. At 
the death of their son James the}' buried him in a field on the 
farm. Later others buried there, and then father Adam Rel)er 
gave the ground for a burial place and a church to be built 
there, free of charge. Adam Reber's son, Thomas Reber, 
married Sarah Shoemaker, of Shoemakersville.] 

Francis S. Reber, Thomas and Sarah Reber's first child, 
was born on the 4th day of March, 1S33, at Shoemakersville. 
His god-mother was his grandmother, Mrs. Charles Shoemaker. 
In May, 1856, he was married to Mary M., daughter of Samuel 
Sullenberger. To this union were born three daughters and 
two sons, all of them being born at Shoemakersville except the 
youngest child, Kugene S., who was I)orn at the old Reber 
homestead in Ontelaunee Township, Berks County. Francis 
S. Reber died on the 22nd day of March, 1866, and was buried 
in the Union Cemetery at Shoemakersville. 

Minerva S. Reber, eldest daughter, was born on the 21st 
day of April, 1857. She was married on the 5th day of July, 
1881 . at Shoemakersville, to Eli D. Conrad, of Lebanon, Pa. 


They went West nnd lived in Bible Grove, Clay County, 
Illinois, for some time and then moved to Altamont, Etfing- 
hnm County, Illinois, their present place of residence. To 
this union were born four daughters: Alma Bertha, Mary 
Lavinia, Laura and Edna Julia. Eli D. Conrad died suddenly 
on the Sth day of December, 1906, at Altamont, and was 
buried in the Union Cemetery at that place. 

Alma B. Conrad has just finished a two-years course in 
the University of Illinois, at Champaign, 111. She won a 
scholarship and is entitled to a full course. 

Mary L. Conrad graduated from the Altamont High 
School and at present is a compositor. 

Laura Conrad graduated from the Altamont High School 
in the Class of 1909. 

Edna Julia Conrad is a student in the Altamont High 

Salina S. Rel)er was liorn on the nth day of Novetnber. 
1X59, and with her sister, Matrona S. Reber, who was born 
on the 19th day of October, 1S61, lives with their mother at 
U)\ Montgomery Street, Newark, N. J., which has been their 
home since 1SS7, when they moved there from Centreport, Pa. 
Their home is in a beautiful location near one of the principal 
thoroughfares of the residential section of the city and directly 
opposite the St. Barnabas Episcopal Hospital. 

Lloyd S. Reber was born on the 4th day of April, 1S63. 
He was married on the 5th day of November, 1890, to Anna 
W. Smith, of Newark, N. J. He is a bookkee[)er and they 
reside at 131 South Tenth Street, Newark, N. J. 



Eugene S. Reber was born on the .'^rd day of .luly, bSG5. 
He was married on the 31st day of May, H)()(), to Ehzabeth 
Ada Cassedy, of Waterloo, N. J. To this union was born a 
daughter, Marjorie Lavinia, on the 16th day of May, 1902. 
Eugene S. Reber is a salesman and their home is in \'erona, a 
residential town of New Jersey. 

Van Buren S. Reber was born .July 11th, 1S35. After his 
graduation from the University of Pennsylvania he went to 
St. Louis and became one of the leading physicians and 
druggists of the city. In 1858 he married Julia Antoinette 
Guion, of St. Louis, by whom he had five children: Thomas 
L., Francis L., Marie Antoinette, Wendell and \'incent. The 
latter died. 

Thomas L. Reber was ])orn in 1860 in St. Louis. He is 
a physician in the city of Philadelphia and his home is at 
1755 St. Paul Street. In 1891 he married Rachel Neff, by 
whom he has one child, a l)oy. 

Francis L. Reber, born in 1862 in St. Louis, is now a 
pharmacist in his native city. In 1890 he married Johanna 
Fitzgerald, l)y whom he had four sons. 

^Larie .Antoinette, born in 1865 in St. Ijouis, was married 
in 1899 to Richard T. Sheehy, of St. Louis. They had five 
children : Frances, Marie, Helen, Eleanora and Richard 

Wendell, boiii in 1867 in St. Louis, is now an eye surgeon 
in Philadelphia. In 1901 ho married Jessie Dalrymple, of 
that city. 

Van Buren S. Rel)er's first wife died in 1870, and in 1873 
he married Harriet Proctor, of St. Louis (boi-n in iMigland), 


by whom ho had one other son, Charles P., born in bS74 in 
St. Louis. 

Charles P. Reber, who is an optical merchant in St. Louis, 
was married in lOOo to ]\Larie Haas. Issue, a 1-year-old 

\':in Ruren S. Pe])er died in St. Louis. 

Mayberry S. Reber, born February 5th, 1S38. He was a 
graduate of the LTniversity of Pennsylvania and began the 
practice of medicine at Shoemakersville in 1863, and continued 
there until 1898, when he moved with his family to Readinir 
and continues the practice of medicine at No. 518 North 
Ninth Street. When a young man he taught public schools 
at Port Clinton, Becker's, Shalter's, and Mohrsville. He was 
married to Louisa Porr, of l^ernville, July 16th, 1865. They 
had foui children, two of them, Laura and Chambers, dying. 

DaCosta Reber, son of Mayberry S. Reber, married Nora 
Kunkle, of Shoemakersville, by whom he has two children: 
Ada and LeRoy. DaCosta is superintendent of the Dust Plant 
of the Sternberg Bolt and Nut Works, at Reading, Pa., but 
resides at Shoemakersville. 

Virgie May Reber, daughter of iNLayberry S. Reber, mar- 
ried Samuel Reiter, of Shoemakersville. Their only child, 
Ada Louisa, died. They reside at No. 518 North Ninth Street^ 
Reading, Pa. 

(.^lambers S. Reber, born March 20th, 1840, graduated 
from the University of Pennsylvania and practiced inedicine 
in the State of Missouri until the time of his death March 
28rd. 1867. 


Jefferson S. Rehcr, Irnvn October 2n(l, 1S42; died August 
:ilst, 1S43. 

Mary S. Rei)er, born August 16th, 1844. She went to 
St. Louis, where she married Ulysses Courvoisir and liad four 
children. She died in St. Louis. 

Lyman S. Reber, born May 28th, 1846. He graduated 
from the LTniversity of Pennsylvania and is practicing medi- 
cine in St. Louis. He married Louisa Swartz, of Tamaqua, 
Pa. Their two children, Ada and Roscoe, are both married. 

-A. daughter, born in October, 1848, died the same month. 

James S. Reber, born June 22nd, 1850. After graduating 
from the University of Pennsylvania, he studied haw and later 
took up joiu-nahsm. He is the editor of a paper jiublished in 
Kansas City. He nuirried Alice Hardcastle, of St. Louis, and 
they have three children. 

Wirt S. Reber, born May 7th, 18o2. He married Mary 
Huey, of Ontelaunee, by whom he lias two children, Roscoe 
and Helen. He conducts a general store at South Evans- 
viUe, Pa. 

Rebecca S. Relier, born February 11th. 1854. She 
married Eli Kemmerer, of Maidencreek, who is a member of 
the firm of Kemmerer ct Zechman, real estate and insurance 
agents, Reading. Pa. Tiieir only child died. Residence, 
1108 North Ninth Street. 

Owen S. Reber, l)orn November 20th, 1858, died January 
27th, 1859. 


Edward K. Shoemaker* 

Edward K. Shoemaker was l)orn in the old Log Hotel 
at Shoemakersville, May 6th, 1816. When a boy he lived 
at Rehrersburg with his cousin, Mrs. Kitty All)right Brobst. 
He suffered much with wide or white swelling, and his cousin. 
Dr. Warren Treyon, cured him. He often took care of the 
late Dr. Edward Brobst, of West Leesport, when the latter 
was a child. The doctor was born at Rehrersburg and was 
Edward Shoemaker's namesake. 

When a young man, Edward K. Shoemaker taiight a 
public school at Garmansville, Lehigh County, after which he 
clerked in a store at Steinsville, Pa. In 1S58, he was married 
at Weisburg, Lehigh County, to Fianna Harper, of Weisburg. 
After his marriage he bought a farm near Slate Quarry, Lehigh 
County, and lived there for sixteen years, during which time 
the following children were l)orn : Owen, Emma, Charles, 
Tilman and Ella. 

In 1869, the family moved to Tamaqua, where Edward K. 
Shoemaker conducted the American Hotel, on Centre Street, 
for two years. They then moved to North Penn, where he 
was landlord of a country tavern for eight years. While 
living at North Penn another son, Oliver, was born. In 1879, 
Edward K. Shoemaker moved to Lansford, Carbon County, 
where he conducted a hotel. 

Edward K. Shoemaker died at Lansford, September 
10th. 1904. 



Owen Shoemaker married Kate Zehner, of Zehner's, Pa. 
They Hve at Tamaqua, Pa., and Owen is foreman for a local 
contractor of that city. 

Emma Shoemaker married James W. McLaughlin, of 
Lansford, Carbon County, Pa. Their children are : Howard 
Edward, a clerk in the Lansford National Bank, and Emily 
Euphrasia, a teacher in the public schools of Lansford. 

Ella Shoemaker married Charles Leopold, of Tamaqua. 
They have one child, Edward S. 


Minnie A', was horn June lotli, 1881. Remains single at 
home. She is a tailoress. 

Sarah M. was born June "inrl, 188.3. Remains sinj2;le at 
home. She is a ilressmakei-. 

Henry K. Miller was a merchant for 31 years at Shoe- 
makersville, moving with his family to Reading ten years ago. 
He is now engaged in the insurance business and resides at 
214 North Second Street, Reading, Pa. 

Sarah S. Seidel, of Shoemakersville, married Abram G. 
Mengel, May 3()th, 1872. Her husband was a merchant at 
Virginsville, Pa. He died June 4th, 1904. Later Mrs. Mengel 
moved home to her mother, Mrs. Rebecca K. Seidel, at 

Charles H. Seidel married Ida V. Stoudt, daughter of 
Adam Stoudt, of Shoemakersville, Septendjer 25th, 1877. 
He was a tanner in his father's tannerv for a number of years, 
but is now engaged in the nursery business. Five children 
were born to Charles H. Seidel and wife, as follows: Henry 
Edward. Solomon Clayton, Rebecca Catharine, Frederick 
William and Sarah Sophia. Henry and Solomon died in 
infancy on the same day, aged 1 year and fi months and 
7 months, respectively. 

Rebecca Catharine Seidel lives witii her aunt, Mrs. Annie 
Seidel Lenhart, at lsi25 ]^'rki()men Avenue, Reading, Pa. 

Sarah So))hia Seidel was married to Edward T. Williams, 
March 7th, 1<K)8. They have one son and reside at Shoe- 

Frederick William Seidel was married to Sue Lesher. of 


Shoemakersville, on June 25th, 1908. Their home is at 

WilHam Shoemaker Seidel was married to SaUie I. Becker, 
daughter of EUas Becker, of Shoemakersville, August 11th, 
1885. Two children blessed their union: Annie R. and Emma 
L. Mr. Seidel learned the tanning business in his lather's 
tannery at Shoemakersville, but is now engaged in the lumber 
business in A'irginia. On Deceml)er 30th, 1897, his wife lost 
her life while visiting her parents at Tuckerton, Pa., through 
the explosion of a quantity of dynamite which was being 
thawed out by the kitchen fire. 

Annie was married to Edward M. Wagner, of Leesport, 
January 18th, 1901. They have two children: Raymond S. 
and Minnie S. Their home is at Leesport. 

Emma resides in Reading. 

Annie R. Seidel, of Shoemakersville, married Richard T. 
Lenhart, of Hamburg, May 27th, 1884. Their union was 
blessed with two sons (twins) : Solomon S. and William S. 
Lenhart. Richard T. Lenhart and his two sons are members 
of the firm of Kline, Eppihimer & Co., dry goods merchants, 
of Reading, and Solomon spent this Summer (1909) traveling 
through Europe. William is a graduate of Mercersburg 
Academy. The Lenhart home is at 1825 Perkiomen Avenue 
Reading, Pa. 




Sophia Shoemaker. 

Sophia K. SliocMiiaker married Charles Huey Ah)hr, of 
Mohrsville, Pa. They were married from the liome of her 
vmcle, John Kershner, of Windsor (now Perry) Township, 
Charles H. .Mohr owned and operated the Mohr Tannery, 
which was built by his father, .John Jacob Mohr, in 1795. He 
also owned the farm south of the tannery and the low lands 
west of the Schuylkill Canal ; also the lumber yard north of 
the home. 

Jolm .Jacob Mohr built the first house in the villao;e of 
Mohrsville over one hundred years ago, and his place was 
known as the old Mohr Homestead. His son, Charles Huey 
Mohi-, was the first child l)orn in the new home — November 
9th, 1814. Before that the family lived on the "Hill Farm," 
one mile east of Mohrsville, which his father, Martin Mohr, 
owned and bequeathed to his only son, John Jacob .Mohr. 

Charles Huey Mohr and Sophia K. .Mohr had three 
children : Rebecca S., William S. and Charles S. 

Rebecca Susan .Molu-, oldest child and only daughtei- of 
Charles H. and Sophia Shoemaker .Mohr, was boin at .Mohrs- 
ville, Berks County, Pennsylvania, on Octol)er 2.5th, 1842, 
and lived there until her marriage to l{ev. CJeorge Eckert 
Adtlams, in I^hiladeli)hia, on .May 22nd, 1861. Her Inisl)and 
was a minister of the Reformed Church, in which he i)reache(l 
thirty-eight years. During the Civil War, he was a Sergeant 
in Company D, Cumberland County Militia, at Carlisle. They 
were held in service two weeks, marching as far South as 
liriar Hill and Hungry Hollow, a short distance beyond 
Hagerstown, Md., in September, 1862. The militia was fvdly 


equipped, but not luiifonned. Uncle Snm's Paymaster made 

his appearance at the Carlisle Court House, a few days after 

their return, and all were paid for their services, privates 
receiving- $(i.oO. ■'■'' 

Rev. George Eckert Achlams and Rel)ecca Mohr Addams 
had ttve children. His death occurred in Reading, Pa., on 
June 19th, 1S97, and he was buried in the Cemetery at 

Charles P., the oldest child and only son, was born in 
Carlisle, Pa. After graduating from the High School, at 
Carlisle, he entered Dickinson College, graduating in 1884. 
He then entered the law ofhce of Henderson & Hayes, of 
Carlisle, and after being admitted to the Bar, practiced law 
at Carlisle for several years. He has been I>aw Clerk in the 
Attorney General's ofhce, at Harrisburg, for the past fourteen 
years. Charles P. Addams was married to Laura Gardner, 
youngest daughter of Frank Gardner, of Carlisle, Pa., on 
December 26th, 1888. They have one child, Lawrence Grey 
Addams, six years old. They reside in Carlisle, Pa. 

Anna Sophia was boi-n at Turbutville, Northuml)erland 
County, Pa. She graduated from the Carlisle High School. 
On October 25tli, 1900, she was married to William James 
Jeffrey, of Philadelphia, (formerly of Torquey, England), and 
resides in Philadelphia. 

Sarah ]\Laude was born at Turbutville, Northumberland 
County, Pa. She is a graduate of the Carlisle High School 
and the Normal School, at Shippensburg, Pa. On November 
10th, 1892, she was married to Carlton Rice Bard, of Port 
Allegheny, Pa., and is now residing at Glean, N. Y. They 
have one son, Donald Addams Bard, 15 years old. 


Susan .M. was hoiTi at .Mitfiinhurfi, Union ("(tunt_\', I'a., 
.lunc 16th, 1873, and died August 3rd, J 873, and is buried 
at Mohrsville. 

Katharine Mohr was born in Carlisle. Pa. She is a grad- 
uate of the Reading High School and is now living in Los 
Angeles, California. 

William S. Mohr married Katharine Stitzel, daughter of 
Judge George Stitzel and wife (Amanda Weidenheimer, of 
Blandon, Pa.), of Reading, Pa. He was Assistant Paymaster 
for the Philadelphia A: Reading Railway Company for a nimi- 
her of years, and served as Cashier of the Citizens Bank, of 
Reading, Pa., until it w-as merged with the Second National 
liank, of that city. He resides at 203 North Sixth Street, 
Pleading, Pa. His son, George Stitzel Mohr, died August 19th, 
1877. Katharine Stitzel Mohr died I)ecend:)er 24th, 1877, 
aged 28 years. 

Charles S. Mohr married Kathai-ine Kershner, of Tuscarora, 
Schuylkill County, Pa., on February 19th, 1868, at Pottsville, 
Pa. He succeeded his father, Charles H. Mohr, in the tanning 
and hunl)er business at Mohrsville. The tannery was burned 
to the ground on November 10th, 1882, and while he was 
building a grist mill the next year on the taimery site he was 
taken sick and died, A))ril 9th, 1883, in the house in wliich he 
was born. In the Sununer of 1884 the Pennsylvania Uailroad 
Company extended its lines from R(?ading to l*ottsville, its 
course being through the Mohr Homestead. The railroad 
company bought the property and is using tlie old home as 
its .Mohisville station. 


("harles S. Mohr enlisteci in Company G, 46th Regiment, 
for ninety days service in 1863, being mustered in on the 30th 
day of June, and honorably discharged on August 11th, 1863, 
at Reading. He was then 18 years of age. 

Charles S. .Mohr and Katharine Kershner Mohr had five 
children : 

William Frank Mohr, born at Tuscarora, Schuylkill 
County, Pa. Learned the printing ti-ade at the Tribune office, 
at Mahanoy City, Pa., and then became a reporter on the 
Reading Eagle, of which he is now the editor of the Sunday 
edition. During the Spanish-American war he enlisted in the 
Governor's Troop, Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served five 
months. He received the aj^pointment of Second Lieutenant 
in the 39th Regiment, I'nited States Volunteers, and served 
in the Philippines. His collection of curios from the island 
of Luzon is a very valuable one. He was married to Dorothy 
Miller, of Reading, Pa., on June 6th, 1904, in New York City. 
They have one child : 

Frances Miller Mohr, born December 2nd, 1907. 

Luther Seth Mohr, born at Mohrsville, Pa. Learned 
printing at Mahanoy City, published the Birdsboro Dispatch 
from 1894 to 1908, under the name Mohr Publishing Com- 
pany, composed of William Shoemaker Mohr, William Frank 
Mohr, Luther Seth Mohr and Howard Charles Mohr. The 
newspaper was sold to H. E. Hart, publisher of the Birdsboro 
Review, and Luther S. Mohr is now engaged in job printing 
in Reading, Pa. He married Anna Elizabeth Davis, of Sey- 
fert. Pa., on May 19th. 1906. They have two children : 

Charles Edward Mohr, born June 3rd, 1907. 

Helen Davis Mohr, born May 5th, 1909. 


Mary RelxHU-a Molir, horn at Mohrsxillo, Pa. She is a 
nurse and lives with her mother, in Readin";. Pa. 

Howard Charles Mohr, horn at Mohrsville, Pa. Learned 
the printing trade at Mahanoy City, Pa., then became a part- 
ner in the Mohr Publishing Company, at Birdsl^oro, Pa., and 
later went to California. In 1903 he accepted a position on 
the Hawaiian Star, Honolulu, H. T. He married Mabel Line 
Hart, of Carlisle, Pa., in Los Angeles, Cal., on June 9th, 1904. 
They reside on the slope of an extinct volcano in the city of 
Honolulu, with a fine view of the ocean and city. 

Hannah S. Mohr, born at Mohrsville, Pa. Graduated 
with honors from the Reading (jiirls' High iSchool. 8he is a 
school teacher in Reading, Pa., and lives with her mother. 


^Ito^makrr iFamtlii 'NottB, 

Charles Shoemaker, 8r., had Shoemakersville, Berks 
County, named for him. 

Peter Shoemaker had Shoemakertown (now Ogontz, a 
su))urb of Philadelphia), named in his honor. 

George Shoemaker had the village of Shoemaker's, near 
Mahanoy City, named for them. 

The Shoemaker family were Friends (Quakers), Init 
when they intermarried with Lutherans and other believers 
they became connected with the leading religious sects of 
the country. 

Benjamin and Samuel Shoemaker, who belonged to this 
branch, were both Mayors of Philadelphia before the 
Revolutionary War. Benjamin was also one of William 
Penn's most trusted advisers. Penn made him Provincial 
Councillor and he became noted for his ability in making 
just and peaceable treaties with the Indians. Some of these 
documents are on exhibition in the Congressional Library 
in Washington, 1). C. 

Samuel Shoemaker, brother of Charles Shoemaker, Jr., 
married Mary Reber, sister of Thomas Reber. After her 

death he married Sieger, of Siegersdale, Pa. Samuel 

Shoemaker lived in the old stone mansion after his father's 
death. His daughter, Mary Shoemaker, married Benjamin 
Gardner and lived in Windsor. The rest of Samuel Shoe- 


maker's family moved West. >fary S. Gardner's son, lien- 
jamin (lardner, lives ;it Hamburg with his fair.ily. 

Mary Shoemaker, daujihter ot" Charles Shoemaker, Sr., 
married Benjamin Kepner. She had one son, John, who was 
blind. He was educated at the Institute for the Blind, in 
Philadelphia, and for two years he lived witli his cousin, 
.Mrs. Sophia K. Mohr, at Mohrsville. His trade was hroom- 
makinp;, and he made brooms in a work room over the 
wagon-shed. He had a Bible with raised letters for the 
blind, which he very much enjoyed i-eadino-. 

P.ernard Kepner, son of lienjamin Ke])ner and Mary 
Shoemaker Kepner, kept the Tuscarora Hotel, at Tuscarora, 
Schuylkill County, in 1850. From there he nmved to 
Tamaqua, and conducted the United States Hotel. He was 
married to Kate Boyer, of Orwigsburg (one of her sisters 
was Mrs. Hannah Boyer liensinger, a widow, who conducted 
the Lewistown Hotel for many years, and a brother, Samuel 
Boyer, of Lewistown, is the grandfather of Professor Charles 
lioyer, of Kutztown State Normal School). Bernani Kep- 
ner's daughters were : Mrs. Henry Stidfold, Mrs. Richard 
Jones, Mrs. Linn Farrer, Mrs. Snyder and Mrs. Henry Haas. 
He also had three sons. They conduct tlie Kepner Shoe 
Factory, jit Orwigsburg. Vn. 

In razing the walls of the oldest building in Pottsville, 
Pa., in July, li)()".l, a casket was unearthetl that contained 
lumps of coal and a unicjue document. The piece of parch- 
ment said that these lumps were chippings from peculiar 
"black stones," made by Colonel (Jeorge Shoemaker, of 
Pottsville. taken in 1S2!>. The relics were turned over to 
the Schuvlkill Countv Historical Societv. 


Henry V. Shoemaker, of New York City, who recent!}- 
became the owner of The Reading Times, is descended from 
the Peter Shoemaker Hne. Peter Shoemaker, 3rd, moved to 
Berks County about 1740, and he had two sons: George 
Shoemaker, famous as the discoverer of anthracite coal, 
and John Shoemaker, who served in the Revolutionary War, 
and who was the great grandfather of Henry F. Shoemaker. 
Both brothers, George and John Shoemaker, settled near 
Schuylkill Haven, then Philadelphia County, and later had 
large coal mines at Pottsville and Tamaqua. In 1865, 
Colonel John Shoemaker, father of Henry F. Shoemaker, 
dropped dead on his way home from Pottsville to Tamaqua, 
where he then resided. He also owned and operated coal 
niines at Tamaqua. 

Between 1735 and 1740, the neighborhood of Reinholds- 
ville was settled by Germans such as Peter Shoemaker, 
Hans Zimmerman, and others. 

The mother of William Penn was a Dutch lady of 
Rotterdam, Holland, Margaret Jasper, a cousin of Conrad 
Kershner, the emigrant, and she was a member of the 
Reformed Church. 
















■a- »^ ',>,y^»;~^^''!?r?sr!s""--*v 













®lu^ Qlliurrh aub ^rl^niiL 

The Zion's Union Church, in Peirv Township, three 
miles east of Hamburg, was the worshiping place for the 
Shoemakers in the early days. In the cemetery many of 
them are buried, and it is a place of unusual interest to the 
present generation. The original log church was used during 
the Revolutionary War times as an arsenal and store house 
when food and clothing were solicited for the army and 
was guarded by militia. The congregation assembled in 
Conrad Kershner's barn for worship during the War. 

Conrad Kershner, like Conrad Weiser, the Indian inter- 
preter, and other pioneers of Berks County, of Colonial 
times, was deeply religious in his observances, and anxious 
for the spread of the gospel. It was mete, therefore, that 
some of his descendants should be thus inclined, and that 
his son, Conrad Kershner, .Jr., who had removed to Perry 
Township, near Shoemakersville, should have helped materi- 
ally in the erection of Zion's Church, in that township. 
Conrad, Jr., joiuneyed to Philadelphia as early as 1760 for 
the pur|K)se of conferring with the sons of William Penn in 
regard to obtaining a grant of land for congregational use. 
A tract of 40 acres was donated by the Penns, and upon it 
a small log church was built in 1701. Ten years later this 
was displaced by a larger structure, also of logs, iiut when 
it came to erect a finer and more commodious building, 
more in accordance with the requirements of the growing 
congregation, a hill site was selected and a purchase of the 
required ground made. The church which stood almost a 


eenturv was torn down in lOOS and a handsome I)iiok edifice 
erected in its place, being dedicated on Ascension Day, 1909. 

Rev. Daniel Shumaker (Shoemaker) was pastor of the 
Lutheran congregation at Reading, 1754-1757. He also had 
supervision of the rebuilding of the Lutheran Church at 
Orwigsburg, burned by the Indians in 1756. The New Vied 
Church, in which the Lutherans still worship, was finished 
in 1770. Rev. Daniel Shoemaker had established the little 
Lutheran congregation in Schuylkill County as early as 
1754. Rev. Daniel Shoemaker was also pastor of the 
Jerusalem Church, located on the banks of the Little 
Lehigh about ly^ miles north-east of Emaus, from 1759 
to 1763. and again 1766-1768. This is one of the oldest 
conp-egations in the Lehigh Valley, having been organized 
in 1742. It was known as the Western Salisburg Lutheran 

The early settlers of Berks County were fugitives from 
religious persecution in the Fatherland. It was a religious 
motive that led them to establisn schools in or near their 
homes. They believed in the Bible as the only rule of 
religious faith and practice. Hence every child must learn 
to read in order to know how to use this guide to correct 
living and believing. In 1708, eighteen school-masters came 
from Germany. The school-master became, next to the 
pastor, the most important person in the community, and at 
times performed, in connection with his school duties, the 
function of reading sermons and baptizing children in cases 
of necessity. 


021 392 139 3 


rw ; 


- .. -!pi»t.-.>i*.'y.'.*T'-l.:^,Ti^?S" 

. ,.-'.'.«,,?JQi,.ts.Jj»-kJ*.--Mf*»Ji 

: ■^^:ri^/r■»>;v::i•?^.■J'-',•t^:■ 


!•' ..■vir:':''x«: