Skip to main content

Full text of "A short history of South Bristol, Maine"

See other formats

Gc M. L 







^ 3 1833 01093 0359 ^ 

Digitized by the Internet Arcinive 

in 2010 with funding from 

Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center 




; Mimeogra(l)90d by 
Rev. Harold W. Woodbury 
by permieoion of 
Mr. Everett W, Gamago 
To be sold with the proceeds being divided 
between Mr. Gamage and Union Churoh» 


J Utk 

" oUUI H duIj U. 







A Vi 






Fs CO r^ 


I " 

I by 


• MimeogragjQod by 
Pev. Harold W. Woodbury 
by permisoion of 
Mr. Everett W, Gamage 
To be sold with the proceeds being divided 
between Mr, Gamage and Union Church. 



In my attempt to record some events 
which I think may be interesting in conn- 
ection with the early history of South 
Bristol, I have found it quite difficult, 
as ; the new town of South Bristol is so 
much connected with the old to'-vn of Bristol, 
especially neai* the line of division where, 
at;the present, it is hard to tell in which 
eoThe of the early settlers lived and in 
th^ matter of to'^TO officers, up to the se- 
paration in some cases it is hard to deter- 
mine in which town they should be placed* 
This is also the case with soldiery of 
1860 - 65, I have found It impossible to 
prepare pedigrees of nearly all of the 
early families^ as so few have been inter- 
ested in preserving family records* 

! These records were started about 1915 
before the division. Then, South Bristol 
Was from McClintick^s do-OTi, In regard to 
ship building in the northern part of the 
to'^n, in several cases the jriter is unable 
to :decide whether the location of building 
should be in Bristol or South Bristol, as 
in -many cases he has had to depend on the 
menjory of men well advanced in years* 

My plan is, if ever this is printed, 
to put in some photographs of some of the 
oldest deeds where they belong* In several 
oases it is hard to separate the two tovvns, 
the old. and the new, but we have tried to 
be Correct, yet it has been hard to make 
It plain. 


The old and historic town of Bristol 
named for Bristol, England, is one of the 
oldest to.vns in Maine, being the 2Dth of 
near 700 towns and plantations in the 
state. It was incorporated in 1765, fifty- 
five years before the separation of Maine 
from Massachusetts and is older than the 
national government. For a history cf 
Bristol, I refer the reader to the "Ancient 
Dominions of Maine" by Rufus King Sewall 
and Johnston ^s "History of Bristol and 
Bremen, " 

South Bristol v7as made a separate 
town by act of Legislature in 1915 and la 
a part of Bristol. The new town is bounded 
as follows, beginning at north side of 
Prentiss Island on Damarisootta River, 
running east with north side of Prentiss 
line to an ash tree in the fork of the 
road. Theron south to the east branch of 
Foster* s Cove so-called at the head of 
John^s Bay, thereon southerly and westerly 
following the shores of John's Bay, Ruth- 
erford's Island, Atlantic Ocean, and Dam- 
arisootta River to the point of beginning, 
including all adjacent islands formerly 
belonging to Bristol. 

The first meeting of the new town 
was Called December 15, 1915 at Centennial 
Hall, Clark's Cove. The meeting was organ- 
Page 1 

ized by Everett W, Gamage, Justice of 
Peace, who read the warrant and its duly 
certified return. William H. King of 
Walpole was- elected moderator by a unani- 
mous vote, duly sworn and took the chair, 
Everett Poole was elected town clerk and 
duly sworn. The article relating to the 
acoeptance of the act of incorporation 
and its being recorded upon the town re- 
cords Was duly passed. Everett W. Gamage 
Was elected to-vn treasurer; , Wilbur Bearce, 
Robert H. Woodward, and Frank Wells were 
elected selectmen. It was voted that the 
annual town meeting be held On the second 
Monday in March, It is not necessary to 
give the details of this meeting. The 
Whole meeting was marked by a sense of 
union and a spirit of concord. Every vote 
was unanimous and while perhaps a tinge 
of sadness over the separation yet every- 
one appeared desirous that the now dispen- 
sation should prove to be good for all of 
this section. It is safe to say that few 
town meetings of this state ever adjourned 
with better satisfaction over the good 
results achieved, 

Rutherford's Island lies at the ex- 
treme end and forms part of the long pen- 
insula of South Bristol, I'aine, and is 
Connected therewith by a stone bridge. The 
island rises to about 130 feet above high 
tide. A large portion of the island as 
well as the adjoining peninsula is cover- 
ed with the beautiful and health-giving 
balsam, fir, spruce, and pine. The spot 
is beautifully located having al-L the ad- 
vantages 6X both seashore and country. 
The island was named for Rev, Robert 
Rutherford, a Presbyterian clergyman of 

Page 3 

good character and superior ability who 
came here as a chaplain to Gov, Dunbar in 
1729« Gov, Dunbar under the direction and 
at the e:qjense of the British Government 
rebuilt Port Frederick at Pemaauid in 
1729-30. Rev. Mr, Rutherford, it is said, 
settled for a short time on the island 
that bears his name. There is an old 
legend thab a girl by the name of Ruth 
Ford was murdered on the island by the 
Indians arid that the name is derived from 
that event, bmt it is generally accepted 
that the name is derived from Mr, Ruther- 
ford -s short settlement on the island. The 
new town of South Bristol includes the 
western part of Hairrington and Walpole, 
Walpole on the northwest and Harrington on 
the southern part with Rutherford's Island 
extending into the Atlantic Ocean, forms a 
promin^jnt headland, 

Walpole and Harrington were named 
after two English noblemen of the day. The 
village of South Bristol is near the bridge 
that Connects the island to the main land, 
a part of the village on each side. It con- 
Bists of six stores. Post Office, library, 
barbel shop, school house, church, fish 
market, danoe hall, public hall for the 
different lodges. Masonic, Eastern Star, 
Red Men, Boy Scouts, etc., and two summer 
hotels* Christmas Cove at the southern end 
and near -Ghe ooean is a fine harbor and is 
fast beginning to be a popular summer re- 
sort. It has three large hotels, a summer 
post office, three stores run in the summer 
a Casino, library, swimming pool, tennis 
court, and other things for amusement. 

Evidently there have been early 
Page 3 

settlers both on the shores of the ^amar- 
Isootta River and John's Bay of which we 
have no record as there are cellars and un- 
known graves of which we have no record, 
but evidently there were but few very early 
settlers in this section; , evidently they 
were either massacred or driven off by the 
Indians. A short distance east frcm the 
Thompson Inn are some old cellars, a well, 
and quite a number of graves. Tradition 
informs us that the (people) that once own- 
ed Rutherford's Island are buried there 
and that the other graves are unkno'vvn, A 
heavy gro^rth of oak nov7 covers the ground 
so that the graves can scarcely be founds 
There is an old tradition that the people 
that lived there mysteriously disappeared, 
that a family that lived in a log house on 
the island, not seeing any smoke in the 
morning or any signs of life, crossed over 
and found the houses deserted, that appar- 
ently the occupants had left in a hurry as 
they had left their breakfasts partly cook- 
ed. An old gentleman for whom the writer 
Worked when a boy said that no one in his 
day' Claimed to know anything about- who lived 
there. He said he could remember when pi 
plants grew there that were unlike anything 
that he had seen. 

A story is told, and evidently a true 
one, in regard to a sunken ledge east from 
t)avis, now kno^vn ad Witch Island, near the 
strait between the mainland and Rutherford's 
Island, called the Corvette. This name had 
Its origin in the reputed incident cf the 
struggle between the British and French in 
1744 for the possession of the fortificar- 
tions at Pemaquid, A british sloop of war 
was pursued by a French corvette, a much 

Page 4 

IsJ^gsT and more powerful craft. The bonny 
capuain of the British vessel, estimating 
shTowdly the draft of the two vessels., 
with his kno':7ledge of the depth of water 
in the vicinity of his ledge, craftily led 
the pursuer in this direction and. Safely 
screwing across the shallow places, lured 
his enemy to grounding on the shoal while 
he escaped^ The brass Cannons were thrown 
overbcard from the French Gorvatte to 
lighten her^ Twice divers have tried to 
raise them, but the mud is caid to be so 
Soft arounf the ledge that they are sup- 
posed to have sunk too deep in the mud by 
the rcjgh seas that they have never been 
raised o From that tim.e, this reef of 
ledges has been called the -J'-rvette, The 
earliest authentic document that is in ex- 
istence, or at that I can find re- 
lating to South Bristol is a plan of a 
piece of waste land surveyed by Thomas 
Boyd, sworn surveyor January 25, 1733, 

There must have beensettlers in this 
section at that time as names of land 
holders are :nentioned in the plan; this 
lot of 1 £:nd 7/ have been near the place 
owned and. occupied by !fr, Everett Pccle* 
Another early document is a pi an called 
the Jonathan Davis plan of 100 acres at 
Seal Cove, dated December 25, .1763. Elijah 
Parkard sworn surveyor of land. The next 
in order is a deed of 100 acres of land 
from Thomas Thompson to Joshua Thompson 
for five hundred Spanish milled dollars 
dated November 4, 1783o Thomas Thompson 
evidently was the ancestor of all the 
Thompsons in South Bristol, but we have 
no record of the family except Joshua* 

Page 5 

Doubtless Miles Thompson was his son; he 
had children, James and Benjamin, who 
settled in South Bristol. There were other 
children, but we are unable to leaxn their 
names, but they did not settle in South 
Bristol. James maxried Martha, daughter o? 
Nathaniel and Mary M, Davia Gamage, and 
Benjamin married her sister Mary, This land 
was talcen frctn the property now known as 
the King Colony. Thomas Thompson was born 
in 1718. His wife was Abigail Smith. He 
moved from Berwick to Bristol in 1752 and 
bought a large tract of land, a part of 
which is what is known as the King Colony 
of summer cottages. We have no record of 
children except Joshua. Joshua Thompson 
.was born Sept. 27, 1758, and married Martha 
Coombs, born March 5, 1761 of New Meadovvs, 
May 29, 1782. He settled on part of his 
father's" farm. His children: ISaaO, born 

April 13, 1783 Joshua, born March 22, 

1787 Amy, bom February 19, 1785 

Ichabod, born July 26, 1789 Maxy, bom 

July 12, 1791 Martha, born Nov. 12, 

1793 Abigail, bom April 15, 1796 

Waty, bom October 31, 1798 Thomas, 

born April 19, 18CS Elizabeth, born 

February 20, 1805 And Asa, bom April 

3, 1808. In an old cemetery en the land 
formerly owned by Thomas Thompson and given 
by him for a public cemetery the early 
generations of Thom.psons are buried, as 
also nearly all of the early settlers cf 
the southern part of South Bristol* 

The next is a deed from Thomas Drown 
to Samuel Otis for a certain island lying 
and being within the township of Bristol 
Called Katherine^s Island or Rutherford* s 
Island, -Was doubtless included in the 

Page 6 

Pemaquld Patent, and this deed from Thomas 
Drown was the first deed that we have of 
the Island. Thomas Drovm was heir of Shern 
Dro^m who long acted as agent for the pro- 
prietors of the Pemaq^id patent. The piir- 
ohase of Rutherford's island will show the 
difference between doing business in 1788 
and the present time. The reader will re- 
member that this was before steamboats and 
sailboats. Three men, namely: Samuel Otis, 
Miles T>^omt>son, and John Foster^ had agreed 
to t>o -purohace of the island for the above 
price which wou3.d be in our money at this 
time, a little less than ^ISCpOO. To get 
this money to Boston andna deed of the 
island was a very important trust. Samuel 
Otis_, being a man of considerable business 
aJiility and a strictly honest and trust- 
worthy man, was chosen to carry the money, 
which was in silver, to Boston. At that 
time this ;joumey had to be made either by 
wood coaster or by stage. Mr, Otis went by 
Water, paid over the money and procured 
the deed in his own name and gave deeds to 
the following: To Miles Thompson the West- 
em side; John Foster the Christmas Cove 
part, retaining the east part for himself. 
Descendants of all three cf the original 
proprietors are living, but on account of 
records being lost, I am unable to trace 
their ancestry. Otis lived in a leg house 
near the shore on the old Otis farm, and 
seme old apple trees are now standing near 
where the old log house stood. The ferry 
at that time to the mainland was a log canoe 
canoe or dugout, pulled across by a rope 
stretched from shore to shore near the Otis 
house, later a wooden bridge was construct- 
ed a little way east from the present stone 
bridge. Tradition informs us that one 

Page 7 

barrel of rum was used by the workmen 
while building the pxesent stone bridge. 
We have no reason to doubt this story „ The 
work is in evidence and speaks for itself. 
We often hear people say, "I don't know 
what the world is coming to; the young 
people are so bad. It was not so in my day? 
The writer, when ahoy, has listened to 
many stories told by the old gentlemen in 
those days. Among sons of them that I can 
remember are the following: Some boys foi^ 
some reason got mad with the people who 
earned the ferry alluded to, went one night 
and drove big spikes through the bottom, 
and fastened her fast to the big logs on 
which the canoe rested. Another one I re- 
member being told by one of the same old 
gentlemen is: that an old man and his wife 
lived alone in a ^og cabin; and one after 
noon when the old couple were from home, 
the boys entered the house, bored a hole in 
in the back log in the big fireplace and 
filled it with powder. Shortly af^er tho 
Old folks returned, the fire rsached ths 
pomiei'. The consequences were that the log 
went through the side of the house, taking 
one Bide of the kitchen with it* At the 
close of one of these stories, the old 
gentleman wo\iid say, "Rum was at the bottom 
of it all," And another story comes to my 
mind: Some boys that v/ere at work for a 
man packing fish destroyed the old man*s 
whole field of corn when he a aid something 
that displeased the boys. And still an- 
other is remembered: Several boys, getting 
mad with the owner of a »vhale boat, went 
in the night and put rocks enough in her 
to sink her, then towed her to the middle 
of the river, bored holes in her, and she 

page 8 

9ank where the water was so deep that she 
Was never raised, "Rum was at the bottom 
of it alli." Another deed of la»id is* from 
Pratt Wall of Bristcl to Joshua Gaznage cf 
Rockport, Mass, dated 1789p consideration 
seventy-two pounds and ten ehillingSo This 
Is the farm now owned and occupied "by 
Daniel Hodgdcn. Mr, Gamage must have "bought 
this fajm several years before moving to 
Bristol as he cams here in 1795« Besides 
his family^ he brought with him his mother, 
Mary, jda'ughter of Jonathan Norwocd,» She 
was born October 18, 1717; she died in 1821 
aged 104 year So She was buried en the faxm 
where the graves of herself and other mem- 
bers of the family are still to be seen. 
She was a emal but very active woman, in- 
telligent and quick wlttedj she had bright, 
black eyes and dark hair that never turned 
gray* Her activity of m.ind yielded to the 
touch of time a few years before her death, 
but her bodily usefulness remained to the 
last. Her husb.and Nathaniel Gamage born in 
Cambridge, Massc, March 1, 17l2o He myster- 
iously disappeared when he went to England 
to se'Gtle a estate left them by his ancest- 
ors and \7aLi never heard of* It was believ- 
ed he ha:?, been seized by the press gang, 
a method often pursued at that time in 
order to secure men for the English Navy. 
His widow never ceased to mo-um for him, 
and when her mind became weak ;7lth extreme • 
old age, she would sit for hours with a 
needle and thread, sewing on an old garment 
saying she was getting Nathaniel's clothes 
ready fcr him when he returned. In those 
days, doctors traveled horseback and carr- 
ied their medecine in a saddle bag* ^r. 
Gamage *s saddlebags were brought by the 
Son, Joshua, to his new home, but they are 

Page 9 

not to be foimd at the present day. Joshua 
Gaaage lived in a log house a short dis- 
tance west from Daniel Hodgdon's house 
near the island; he was horn in 1741, His 
son, Joshua was "born in Massachusetts in 
1766, married Sarah Webster of Gloucester, 
and cane to Bristol with his father in 1795, 
Their children were Joshua, Thomas, Samuel, 
Jans, Sarah, Jemina, Hannah, William, Mar- 
tha, and Webster. He died in Bristol, April 
18, 1833. His -^fe died September 4, 1853. 
They are buried in the Thompson Cemetery. 
When they came from Gloucester, they sett- 
led on the place where Alpheus Mc Far land. 
Freeman Kelsey, and others now live. 
Nathaniel came also with his father and 
settled on the place and built the house 
kn6\m as the Pierce place. The house was 
built in 1813 and stands near the Thompson 
Inn. He bought the place of a Mr. Catlln. 
He was born in 1773 and married Mary M, 
Davis. He was a farmer and was al^o engaged 
In the fis^hing business. He was the second 
keeper of Pemaquid Point bight. (Nathaniel) 
His Children were Mary, Eleanor, Nathaniel, 
Martha, Ruth, Benjamin, Daniel, Oliver, 
Lucretia, and Davis. He died January 16, 
1840, and his wife died March 19, 1838. 
They are burled in the Thompson Cemetary. 
He was said to be the wealthiest man in 
this section of the t'^wn in his day, which 
would doubtless be rather small fortune at 
the present day. A story is told ef him 
which oomies to show the convenience in the 
present method of banks and banking busi- 
ness, compared with a century ago. He drove 
horseback tc Bristol Mills to pay his taxes 
taking paper m.oney. As this was net a legal 
tender at that time, Mr. James Drummond, 
the town collector, refused to take it. 

Page 10 

Mr, Gsunage came home diligently to collect 
the old-fashioned large pennies. When he 
had collected enough to pay his taxes, he 
put them in a meal bag, put them on his 
horse* s back, and drove again to Bristol 
Mills and to Mr* "Drummond^s office where 
he poured them out on the table. The only 
remark Mr. Drummond made was, "Well, I dc 

Besides Joshua and Nathaniel, Dr. 
Nathaniel Gamage and Mary Norwocd Ga^nage 
had children: Mary, Joshua, Ruth, John, 
and Rebeccao Joshua married Elinor Foster 
of Gloucester, Mass. Their children were: 
Nathaniel, Samuel, Daniel, Jemina, William, 
Ruth, Elinor, Stephen, Joshua, and Jane. 
Daniel, at his father's death, took the 
f a3^m. Nathaniel and Joshua settled in 
Bristol. Jemina married MoFarland. (Slhiltl- 
ren: George and Deborah). McFarland was 
lost at so a; she afterwards married Eben 
Poole, Their children vrere: Eben, Reuben, 
William, Sarah, Emeline, and Hannah. Eben 
Poole is the ancestor of all the South 
Bristol Pool.esa 

The McFarlands of South Bristol can 
be trar.ed to Solomon McFarland, who, with 
his fEjnily, lived in Fort Frederic, Pema- 
quid. daring the last Indian War. He had 
a family of at least six: two sons and four 
daughters, probably more. His two sons, 
George and Waaiter, vhile at work on J 
John* 8 Island, were suddenly attacked by 
Indians. The former was killed on the spot 
and the latter taken captive. After being 
with the Indians aboul: two years, Walter 
was restored to his friends at the Indian 
conference at Falmouth in October, 1749. 

Page 11 

His father was present, and so complete- 
ly had. he become in his appeaxsnce and 
manner during his stay among the Indians 
that he was unable to recognize his son 
only by his voice. He learned to spoaJlc 
their language and .vas subsequently em- 
ployed by the Government as an interpre- 
ter. Solomon McFar land's daughters married 
David Bro^Tn, Thomas Johnn, and Jacob DoOk- 

Capt, Alexander Mickles married Mary 
McFarland, daughter of Solomon, in Pema- 
quid Fort, April 13, 1758, 

Capt. William MoFarland, a brother of 
■Rev. Moses McFarland of v/hom we shall have 
occasion to speak later, was born in South 
Bristol, He married Abigail Pobinson, and 
settled on the farm now o-vvned by Leander, 
Bralnbridge, and Addison McFarland (Three 
brothers), his grandsons. William McFar- 
land' s children were Moses Alexander, 
William, Jane, Pratt, Israel, Chariot, 
Martha, and Marjorie. William, Pratt, and 
Israel, and Chariot settled in South 
Bristol. Thomas Erskine married Chariot. 
Israel married Sally Jones. Tradition savs 
that l/trs. Cross had the reputation of 
being a witch by the superstitious cf 
those days. The writer hashheard many 
stories in which she •'Was supposed to work 
6vil en anyone with whom she migiit wish 
to injure. One story is told that she went 
to a neighbor to borrow his oxen, and for 
Some reason he denied her. She said, ^You 
will bo sorry for this." The next morning 
the owner of the oxen started for the fisn- 
ing ground in his log canoe with a fair 
^ind down John's Bay. Just before he reach- 
Page 12 

ed the fishing grounds, the wind all died 
down and a fresh breeze from the south- 
west sprang up; he had to put back with- 
out any fisho This, the reader will under- 
stand^ ie not an uncommon occurrence, but, 
as the old gentleman offended the witch 
the day before, he thought he was bewitch- 
edu He bought a pound of tea and gave it 
to the witch, and the next day was a fine 
day and a good catcho Another story is told 
of a neighbor doing something which dis- 
pleased the witch; the next day while at 
work with a pair of young steers, they 
suddenly took fright, turned their yoke, 
and scampered through the field. The ovTner 
was unable to catch them that day. This 
Was not an unusual thing for young steers, 
but as the o'^Tner had. displeased the witch, 
he supposed his steers were bewitched, so 
as a peace offering, she would receive a 
pound of tea or tobacco and all would go 
well. There appears to be a tinge of super- 
stition which clings to every sensitive 
mind in a world full of mysteries, but 
people in those days were very supersti- 
tiouSe An old gentleman was plo.ving in a 
field a little way east from the Thompson 
Inn near the unknown graves previously 
alluded to on the Pierce farm, and not 
knowing that the graves extended so far 
out into the field where he was at work, 
one of his oxen broke through the ground 
and one foot went through and pulled up a 
piece of coffin on his foot. The old 
gentleman, believing this to be a bad omen, 
immediately put his oxen in the barn, and 
neither himself, family or beast belonging 
to him worked any more that day. These 
things took place only a little more than 
a century ago* 

Page 13 

ASometime in the eaJly paJt of the 
last century, Ambrose Jonea came to South 
Bristol from Rockport , Mass., and settled 
on the farm now owned by Stanley Alley, 
At wood Plummer, Geo. Rice, and others. He 
kept a store and engaged in the fishing 
businesBc His wife*s name was Mary Harding. 
Their children were Mary Sally, Addison, J 
Lydia, and JameSo Three of this family 
Settled in South Bristol; Sally, who 
married Gapt. Israel McFarland; Mary, who 
niELrried Captc James Plummer; and Ambrose 
who married Abagail Robinson. We find a 
document signed by Edward Kent, governor 
of, appointing Ambrose A. Jones in- 
spector of pickled fish and smoked ale- 
wives and herrings for the town of Bristol 
in the county of Lincoln, now South 
Bristolo He kept a store at Rutherford^ s 
Island aJid was engaged in the fishing bus- 
inesSo His land was near the bridge; sub- 
sequently, he represented the tovvn in the 
State Legislaturso Shortly before the 
breaking out of the Civil Wa;;:, he went /itu 
his fajnily to Califoraiia where he died 
shortly after. His w'fe lived to be more 
than ninety yeaTrs old. John Foster, who 
bought the Christmas Cove part of Ruther- 
ford^ s Island from Samuel Otis, kept a 
store and carried on in the fishing bus: 
ness where the old store now stands. He 
left descendants, but we are unable to 
give their names; but he was ancestor to a 
large part of "che Fosters of South Bristol. 
He -Was succeeded in business by a Mr. 
Burns, who came from Massachusetts, He was 
succeeded by John and Eliphalet Thorp under 
the firm name of J & E Thcrp. They came 
from Boothbay and their wives from South- 
port. John married Harriet Pierce and 

Page 14 

Eliphalet married Betsy Pierce, sistersc 
They bought larger and mora nodern \?eGBel9 
than had been ovvned by their predecessors, 
Mr. Eliphalet Thorp represented the town 
of Bristol in the legislature, ^!r^ John 
Thorp died Oct. i2, 1883, and Mr. Eliph- 
alet Thorp died May 20, 1887o 

Where, their fish flakes once stood 
and where thousands of OTiintels of fish 
have been cured for the Boston Market, th 
there is now a fine tennis court; and the 
point of land kno-vn as Thorpe* s point 
where once roamed hundreds of sheep, is 
now d'ttted with summer cottages and the 
whole point is a playground* 

Francis Pierce, Esq, was born in 
Anisgiam, Mass., in 1784 and came to these 
parts and settled on the west side of 
Christmas Cove, '.vhere he kept a store. He 
wa^ appointed light keeper of Monhegan 
Light; after serving his appointment there, 
he returned to Rutherford* s Island and 
bought the place where Sands French now 
livoSo He Was appointed by the Government 
tieputy Collector of Customs for the port 
of Bristol and the district of Waldoboro 
about 1836. Shortly after this, he sold his 
place to the late Lewis R. French who came 
from lancolnville, Maine. Mr, Pierce 
bought a house a short distance north from 
where David House now lives, where ho died 
March 12, 1854, aged seventy years. 

About this time Cyrus Kent lived on 
the where Jamas Farrar now lives at 
the head of Christmas Cove. On the west 
side of the Cove at that time, were John 
Thurstin, Tab Knight, Stephen Tibbitts, 

Page 15 

soldior of the Revolution, William Metoalf, 
father of tho late Hon. B. D. Mstc*^f, a 
prominent Damariacotta shipbuilder of the 
last century. He came to these parts from 
Newburyport, Mass. He married Sarah Day 
of namaxisootta and settled at Christmas 
Cove, west for a short time. We are unable 
to learn his business while there, but h=ive 
have reason to believe he kept a store. 
Later ho moved to Damarisootta where the 
Hon. B, D. was born. East of what is now 
known as the Davis House is the oldest 
collar whore in the eaJly days, about 1800 
a family lived by the name of Griffin. 
Little is known of this family except that 
Joshua Gamage ma;i:ri9d a daughter. 
Prise ill a Griffin. They all moved from 
here to Cape Ann, or some part of Massa- 
Ohuestts. Rev. Moses McFarland, previouslv 
alluded to, was bom in South Bristol in 
1782. In the religious revival under the 
Freei-Till Baptist in about 1800, he became 
interested in religious things and connect-- 
ed himself with the Freewill Baptist Church 
Churoho He at once began to take an active 
part in the religious meetings, and in 
1805 Was duly ordained, according to the 
forms of that church, to preach the Gospel. 
About this time, he made his way northward 
far into the forests and began the clear- 
ing of a farm within the limits of Mont— 
ville, which was not then incorporated. 
Here he built a log house. He married a 
lady of his native place. Patience Curtis, 
on October 30, 1805 and began life in 
earnest. Later he removed a short distance 
to a place on the direct road to Belfast 
to the Kennebec where, in time, a small 
village grew up and is now kno'-im as 
HoFarland^s Corner. Here he spent the re- 
Page 16 

rflainder of his life caxefully oultifeatlng 
ills faJm during the -jreek and preaching 
the '^-Dspel freely on the Sabbath*, His 
education was quite limited, but he ha;i 
considerable ability as an extemporanious 
speaker and became in that time very fam- 
iliar with the simple texts of the English 
Bible, so that he discourses or extractions 
were interesting and effectiveo Having 
lived some twenty years or more in comm- 
union with the Freewill Baptist Church, 
about 1836 a considerable change took 
place in his religious views and he became 
a Univeraalist, This change being re- 
cognized a year or two later, he became 
formally connected with the convention of 
this denomination and continued his labors 
on the Sabbath as before, his parish ex- 
tending from the Kennebec on the ^vest to 
tho Penobscot on the east, his services 
were always performed without stipulation 
as to payment, but he gratefully accepted 
the free offerings of the people. Always 
and everywhere he maintained the same el- 
evated Christian character and was greatly 
respected and beloved even by those who 
were not of his own party or creed* He 
died at his home in 1863 at the age of 
eighty-four years, surrounded by his child 
children and grandchildren and more than, 
all, his aged companion with whom he had 
lived more than sixty years. Rev. MoFar- 
land's father and mother's graves are near 
the bank of the T^amariscotta Piver on the 
Clifford place, so-called, on the West 
side of Rutherford's Island. We have no 
record of them, only that they lived on 
this place at the time of McFarland^s 

Page 17 

Mr. SaiTTuel Otis, who at one tlm^ 
owned Rutherford* s Island, had children, 
but all except Mr. John Otis settled In 
other parts. Mr. John Otis married Mary 
Curtis. He was a house joiner and built 
many of the houses in this section; he 
SkLso was a farmer. His children were John, 
Samuel Jr., Naney, Mary, Ambrose and others 
othQtSi As ^^^ family records were lost 
when the Otis house burned, this record is 
not complete. ?^r, Otis died December 19, .; 
1866, aged 91 years 9 months- His wife 
died June 30, 1856. A Baptist Church was 
estefclished in the lower part of the town 
in 1788. The church book is headed a3 
follows; The Book of Record of the Baptist 
Church of Christ in Bristol, established 
In 1788 by Elders Daniel Hubbard and Benjst- 
min Randall. They had no church building 
but held their meetings in the school house 
and d.vellings. This church was comprised of 
&ome of the most substantial citizens of 
the to^vn, but for some reason the organic 
z at ion was not long maintained. From this 
time up to the winter of 1879-80, the 
people of this section were without a 
Church organization; meanwhile j the comm- 
unity was ministered to by the parish min- 
isters of Bristol and others of different 
denominations: Congregation, Universal ist, 
and others, for the most part Methodists. 
The meetings being held in the echoolhouses 
up to about 1866 vjhen Union Hall was built* 
and used for religious services until the 
new Union Church Was built. During the 
Intervening time between th3 Baptist or- 
ganization termination and 1879, Mr. 
Parsons awakened quite interest in the 
Sunday Schools. The Rev. G. W» Quimby of 
Augusta, Universal ist, editor of the Gospel 

Page 18 

Banner, visited the place and preached in 
the Union Hail quits frequently. Pev, Mor- 
Bxldge and Russell, Congregational, supp- 
lied at times, also L. D. Evans. 

Marian and Sally, and many of its . 
members, were transferred to the Methodist 
and other denominations. In 1879-81 a re- 
vival of religion occurred under the lajooxe 
of Rev. A. J. Clifford, and a branch of the 
East Boothbay Church was established here. 
East Boothbay and South Bristol Appoint- 
ments: Rev. A. J. Clifford, 1879-80-81-82- 
83; ,Rev. F, D. Handey, 1884; Rev. W. L. 
Brown, 1885-86-87; Rev, J. Biram, 188-89; 
Rev. W. F. Can^bell, 1890^91; Rev. W. F. 
Johnston, 1893-93; Rev. V. P. Wardwell, 
1889-95; Rev. A. E, Russell, 1896-97-98-99; 
Rev. W. A. McGraw, 1900; Rev. E. S. Gahan, 
19CQ.; Rev, Gahan vvas the last man appointed 
to South Bristol as a branch of the East 
Boothbay Church. 

The Union Church building at Ruther- 
ford* s Island Was dedicated August 6, 1898 
and is a Union property, uncontrolled by 
any sectarian ovmership. The church bell 
is a memorial gift of the late Mary Ao 
Pierce. The history of the church organi- 
zation begins with the new century under 
the ministry of Rev, W, Henry McBride of 
Bristol Mills, who supplied the church in 
connection with his parish work up to a 
short time aS'ter the beginning of the 
pastorate of Rev. C, Wellington Rogers, 
the first pastor of the now church. He 
served from 1903-19C5. He was succeeded by 
E, A. Mason who served from 1902 to 1908. 
He was succeeded by G, W, Barentzen who ser- 
ved until 19 09. He was succeeded by G. W, 

Page 19 

lioodv7ell who served to 1920. H© was suo- 
oeeded by W. H^ Jackson who served to 1921. 
Hq ^aa succeeded in 19P.2 by A,. Jo Thinnells, 
The exact dates are not giv^n; in fciome 
Oases there was a short period without 
any settled pastor^ 

Previous to about the middle of the 
last Oentuiy, our school houses and schools 
schools were very poor; probably South 
Bristol Was a .fair sample of all rural 
to'.nms in New England. The heating system 
Was from open fire places or Franklin 
Stoves which were somewhat better; but vith 
with either it was a hard matter to vTarm 
more than one side at a time. Although 
surrounded by forests, the wood was almost 
alvTays wet and greeen, as no means was pro- 
vided for keeping it dry after having to 
dig it from a snow bank. The wood wa^ pro- 
vided by free contribution, each in turn 
furnishing a load as required and often it 
wa3 very poor. About 1848, a 1 arger and 
more commodious house V7a3 built on Ruther- 
ford^ s Idlando This house was so far in 
advance of the old one that it did not 
meet with the approval of some, as they 
thought it too expensive, and to use a 
little sarcasm, they Called it the meeting 
house. It had two doors in the end; the 
women entered at the right-hand door, and 
the mon at the left. This house was used 
for religious meetings as well as for 
schools. In those days the men and women 
did not sit together, but man and wife 
parted at the door, A few years later sim- 
ilar school houses were bujlt in other 
parts of the to'-vn and served for church 
buildings for many years. In those day3, 
all evening meetings and public gatherings 

page 30 

were appointed at early candle light. 

The South Bristol Post Office ^as 
established at Ruthorford's Island In 1663, 
and John Otis appointed postmaster, Jhich 
office he held up to his death which oc cur- 
ed May 13, 1885. During Mr. Otis term the 
Post Office vras located in a building ad- 
;jacent to the Union Church property. 
Nelson W» Gamage was then appointed and 
served about nine years, when he was suc- 
ceeded by Julius G, GamagOo He was succeed- 
ed by Merret E. Thompson who held the 
office for sixteen years when he was suc- 
ceeded by Daniel G^ Berry who held the 
office up to 1917» He was succoeded by the 
present incuinbent, Everett W, Gamage, 
Justice of Peace from the early selectmen 
to the present time, were Franklin Pierce, 
Wm« McClintock, Thomas Thompson, John Otis, 
Iioring Thorp, Elliot P. Gam.age, Everett 
W. Gamage. 

Civil War soldiers from South Bristol 
were: Linsdal Burnham, Solomon Lane, Char- 
les ?.!♦ Thompson, Sam.uel Foster, Thomas A« 
Foster, Thomas Foster, Nathan Hodgdcn, 
William D<. McKim, William Nash, Bradford 
Thompson, Stanley A. Alley, Ambrose Foster, 
John Gamage, Joshua Gamage, Charles E« 
Foster, Willi am i^ano, Elliott Pierce, Lean- 
der McFarland, Thos. H. Fost-or, James 
Jones, Nelson W. Gamase, Edv7ard D„ Gamage, 
Mill ard Fo PaTkard, Ariel Eurnham, 
D, Bailey, Harvey Bearce. Orville H. Clark, 
John T. Dyer, Isaac W^ Fountain, Luis B. 
Gall Yip, Timothy F, Goudy, Henry G. Goudy, 
George W, Hisom, Cyrus F. Jones, Edward D. 
McClure, Bodfield Sproul, Nathaniel Went- 
worth, Brigga G. Besse, Timothy F. Brown, 

Page 21 

Joseph B. Fitch, Atwood Fitch, Samuel H. 
Fitch, Orrin I, Gaul, John Goudy, Albert 
Hatch, Pohert Hanley, ^avid Hysoa, Robert 
S. Hyson, 2ebord F, Hysom, Wm, F. Kelaey, 
Daniel W. Little, Thomas C. Little, 
Patrick Mann, Ruben R, MoFarland, George 
M. Prentice, Enoch C* Richards, David P, 
Sproul, A. M. Sproul, Everett A. Wentworth, 
Enoch WentiTorth, Henry H» Goudy, Charles G, 
Kenny, Gilbert P, Bro-vn, Thomas Wentworth, 
Amy Bradley was a nurse* 

World War soldiers from the toi^m were: 
Harold J5alsey, Lynv7ood Goudy, Oscar 
Richards, Vernon Russell, Austin V, Sproiil, 
George Pitcher, Richard Wells, Wellington 
Jordaa, Arthur Gamage, Floyd MoFarland, 
Horace Kelsey, Everett Leighton, George 
W, Leighton, Mark Russell, Philip Wood'.Tell, 
and Clarence Pinkhamo 

We find amont the names of early 
settlersi Cross, Poole, Lane, Wall, Foster, 
Thompson,, Plummer, Robinson, Tutherly, 
Tarr, Catlin, Knight, Kont, Tibbitta,, 
MoFarland, Kathorine, Pearsons, Ma are, 
Potter, North, Jones, Gamage.- CavJ.s, Clark, 
Thorp, Ra.cklif, Griffin, Mclntire. Stone, 
Pierce, Banker, Barton, Hayne, Williamson, 
Train, Morton, Canada, Grover, Still^vvell, 
Silby, Metcalf, Harden. "Havis, Whorl in, 
Russell, Nash, Seidors, Jordan, DeGrasse, 
BrcJm, Bradley, McKim, McClintook, Randall, 
Elwoll, Canley, Young, Sproul, Gcu dy. Page, 
Fitch, Haroh, Bearce, Erskine, Yates, Blaney 
Fossett, Barker, Weston, Hanley, Bryant, 
Farrar, Benner, Alley, Andrevra, Bailey, 
Wilson, Ro-^7ells, Benner, Nichols, Blaisdell, 
Bowman, Blake, Brewer, Bumham, Burns, 
Clifford, Creamer, Curtis, Elliott, Farrin, 

Page 22 

Feeny, Feltis, Fitch, French, Frey, Hatch, 
House, Hunter, Hut chins, Hysom, Kelsoy, 
Lavaisr, Leennan, Little, Mason, Miller, 
Morse, Oliver, Otis, Packaxd, Parker, 
Parkhurst, Paul, Peters, Philpot ,Pinkham> 
Pitcher, Prentice, Redonnet, Rice, Richards, 
Seavey, Richardson, Smith, Spear, Stevens, 
Stevenson, Swaney, Sykes, Tarr, Thurston, 
Turner, Upham, Webber, Wells, Went worth, 
Wiley, Woodman, Woodward, Woodwell, Wilson, 
and Young, 

Few places in the country in the early 
days suffered more from the great evil cf 
Intemperance than this town in the early 
days. In 1828 the foundations of temperance 
societies began to be generally advocated, 
very ma'iy hailed the movement with joy and 
immediately resolved to lend their aid tc 
the good cauee, meetings were first held in 
the to'.vn house at Bristol Mills; the first 
meeting was called the last of August 1828 
and was opened with prayer by the Rev. 
Enos Bajcter<, This movement extended to 
South Bristol and was met with favor. Many 
of the most prominent men became interested 
In the good cause at a later period, 1840. 
The Washington Monument was started, and 
accomplished much good, as a great refcrm- 
ation Was started by this society. Later a 
Lodge of Sons cf Temperance was organized 
and still later the Godd Templers, and 
thus the good work went on until probably 
no place on the coast has profited more 
than this by the great temperance reformar- 
tion. The effect of the first m.ovement on 
the public sentiment was manifested Sept- 
ember 10, 1832, by a vote of the citizens 
of Bristol, recommending the selectmen to 
grant no licenses for the year ensuing for 

Page 23 

retailing ardent spirits, April 1 of the 
next ysar, their recommendations were 
ohangod to instructions; at the same time, 
they, by vote, promised to sustain thoir 
faithful public servants if they should bo 
put to any trouble in consequence of thoir 
doings. To look at South Bristol, its 
beautiful location removed frote the rush 
and turmoil of the busy to.Tn and city, wa 
Would almost bo led to believe that sorrow 
or trouble .vould never enter its bounds, 
yet many homos have been saddened by the 
loss of dear ones that have gone do^vn to 
the sea in ships never to return* Two 
aimost, if not quite tragic events I will 
mention .vhich brought more sorrow to South 
Bristol than any one event or blow of the 
Civil War which struck South Bristol, as 
all of the country, hard, and has been felt 
more than half a century « The loss of the 
Sohoonor Glide, a packet running between 
Boston and T^amariscotta, Maine, foundered 
November 84, 1853, a short distance from 
and in sight of Southport, Maine, with 
Capt„ John Pierce and his two sons, Jonathan 
and Jamas, and Haohel Russell , daughter of 
©apt. Robert and Nancy Russell, all of 
Sputh Bristol o Mrs. Pierce, with two sons 
and one daughter, survived: Elliott, Eliph*- 
alot, and Marthao Elliott entered the ser- 
vice on thd breaking out of the Civil War, 
and was shot and died at Spotsylvania, Va. , 
member of the thirty-two Massachusetts 
volunteers, Eliphalet was lost at sea, 
March 17, 1864* Martha died at her home, 
April 14, 1870. Mrs. Pierce lived to be 
more than ninety years old, and although 
passing through this terrible affliction, 
she bore it with Christian fortitude and 
lived and labored for others. Almost her 

Page 34 

last apt was to give $100.00 to help buy 
tJie church bell for the ne^ churoh. 

necember 1873, the schooner A & M 
Gamage -^ras built and partially o^-vned by 
A. & M. Gamag© & Co« , three brothers, 
Albion 0, Menzries R. , and Lebbus Ao , cf 
South Bristol. Commanded by Capt. John I», 
Farrar, he with all the cve^ went down 
with the ne.v schooner on her first voyage* 
The other South Bristol men were Lewio 
Erskine, Geo* R. Gamage^ and Ariel Bumham* 
This new schooner sailed froin Portland 
with a load of hay, bound for Mobile* A 
gale of wind came on that night, and no 
tidings of her were ever received. 

In 1864 Ao & M^ Gamage and Co. built 
their first vessell ^ a small schooner, 
"Jennie Iiind^ " i^'roia that tirne this com- 
pany built more than eighty registered 
vessels, several steamers, be- 
sides repairing and they also built a 
large number of small bo ate. 

Names of others building a less nuijiber 
Were Ambrose A. Jones, Benoamin Irjjrsp^^on. 
and Stephen Farra;L'<, Ship ''Jana^', 400 tons 
v/as built in 1813 by ^rummond.Boarcoe, and 
Huston at McClure's landing m the Walpol© 
part of the tovvn^ The ship was about half 
completed when the war broke out. Her 
builders know that the British were liable 
to come up the river and destroy her, so 
they concluded to sink hor in the river. 
She Was launched and sunk near the bank of 
the Channel above Prentiss Islandc She ro- 
mainod there until after the close of the 
'•^ar, when her builders had much trouble in 
raising her successfully. She was sold to 

Page 25 

Capt, Rlohard Tucker of Wieca^eet and ] 

proved very fluocQssfuI. Schooner "Ei?l(i | 

KnnneT,'" about 75 tons, was built In 1830 j 
by a Wr. Be axe© near the pla;0© where the | 
"Jane^ was built. She was built some die- i 
tanoe from the shore in the dooryaJd of | 

the builder. After she was coinpleted, her j 
owners hauled her to the river bank in the 
month of March* The river was frozen over, 
and the bank was very steep. She got away 
from them and slid down the bank^ striking 
the ice and damaging the vessel badly. When 
When she was being built, the o^^ners 
could not decide on the name for her, but 
that decided it, and they agreed to call 
hor-the "Bold Runner, ♦^ j 

The"Tipperanoe, 30 tons, was built by j 

Samuel Oti^, 1840; we are unable to locate ** 
the jrlarjQ this vessel J7as built, but think 
it was evidently Rutherford^ s Island, 

Brig "Rising States," 145i'i;on8, 18(31, 

R, &. J, Huston builders 

Ship "Jane," 400 tone, 1812, 

Drummond &id Co. builders 

Schooner "Jane," 125 tons, 1817, 

William Jones, builder. 

Brig "Decater," 200 tons, 1817, 

F. Bearoe, builder. 

Sloop, "Boston," 95 tons, 1820, 

Wm. Huston, builder. 

Schooner, "Mary," 100 tons, 1822, 

John Boarce, builder. 

Sloop "James," 100 tons, 1824, 

John Bearoe, builder, 

Pago 26 

Schooner "Jamo," 110 tons, 1826, 

John Bearce, buildor. 

Brig "Hazard", 195 ton£3, 1838, 

John Bearce, builder. 

Schooner "Aurora", 1833, 

Woodward & Jones builders. 

Brig "Aurora", 78 tons, 1839, 

* Woodward and Jones, builders,. 

SQhooner "Envoy", 120 tons, 1830 

Woodward and Jones builders. 

Brig "New York", 18b tons, 1832 

Woodward and Jones builders. 

Brig "Holly", 176 tons, 1836, 

John Bearce builder. 

Schooner "Mancy Jones", 13 tons, 1837, 
Joel Huston, builder. 

Brig "Walpole", 150 tons, 1842 

James Erskine, builder. 

Brig "Comodus", 16b tons, 1845, 

T^ & P. Woodward, builders. 

Schooner "Bonlwell", 112 tons, 1846, 

Sherman &■ Cox, Builders. 

Schooner "Aroline", 29 tons, 1846, 

Joshua Thompson, builder. 

Schooner "Catherine", 50 tons, 1846, 

Joshua Thompcon, builder. 

Pago 27 

Schooner "HaXmazia", 153 tons, 1846, 

Joshua Thompson, builder. 

Schooner "Montera", 132 tons, 1846, 

Paul Brothers, builders. 

Schooner '^Granpus", 38 tons, 1846, 

Henry Tibbits, builder. 

" WWilliam", 231 tons, 1847, 

?• & T. Wood-.7ard, builders. 

Brig "Rio", 2C0 tons, 1848, 

P. & T. Woodward, builders, 

Schooner "Emerald", 1849, 

Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

Bark "Homer", 573 tons, 1849, 

Paul Brothers, builders. 

Schooner "Jauniata", 72 tons, 

James J), Huston, builder. 

" "Sucurba", 46 tons, 

James Do Huston, builder. 

Brig "Judge Blaney", sl7 tons, 1853^ 

Paul Brothers, builders. 

Brig "Calawzac", 370 tons, 

Paul Br6thers, builders. 

Schooner "Jennie Lind" , IC tons, 1854, 

A. &. M. Gamage, builders. 

"Western Light", 36 tons, 1855, 
A* & M. Gamage, buildora* 

Page 28 

Schooner "7 airy Qaeen", 13 tons, 1855 , 

At & M. Carnage , Co. , b-ailders. 

Slilp "Highland Lights, 678 tons, 1855, 
Kel9ey & Co., builders. 

Schooner "Ocean Belle", 36 tons, 1856, 

A, & M. Gamage,Co*, builders, 

Schooner "Ida May", 14 tons, 1856, 

A. & M. Gamage Co* , builders. 

Schooner "May Queen", 14 tons, 1856, 

A. &. M. Gamage. Co., builders, 

Schooner "Helen Tree", 18 tons, 1856, 

A. & M. Gamage Co, , Builders. 

Schooner "Golden Eagle", 24 tons, 1856, 

A. & M« Gamage Co., builders* 

"Minniehaha, 21 tons, 1857, 

Samuel Ii. Foster, builder. 

"Island Home'*, 13 tons, 1857, 
S3 Garrage, builder. 

"Ocean Herald" ^ 168 tons, 1857, 
Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

"Express", 88 tons, 1858, 

Richard Huston, builder. 

"Morning Sun", 14 tons, 1858, 
Thomas Gamage, builder, 

"Express", 80 tons, 1858, 
J. Richards, builder. 

Page 29 

Schooner "Maxla Roxanna", 185 tons, 1858, 
Sanniel Kelsey, builder. 

» "Flying Clcud", 150 tons, 1859, 

Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

■ "Lady Ellen", 56 tons, 1859, 

SamueJL Kelsey, builder. 

* "Huntreao", 8 tons, 1859, 

A. & Uo Qaaagu &. eo,t)Ui:td&cd^ 

"' "Royal Tiger", 11 tons, 

Ao &a M, Gamage & Co, Guilders. 

" "I am Here", 11 tons. 1859 

Ao & M» Gamage a Co, builders. 

" "Speod^^ll"^ 50 tong, Xa^9, 

fc>o L, Fostex', builder. 

" "So Sa-cTyer", 69 tons, 1859, 

Richard Has con, builder, 

■ "Go & Bo Morse", 31 tons, 1660, 

A» & Mo Gamaga & Co,bTiild.or3. 

■ "Piatt an Sea", 79 tons, 1860, 

S. Kelsey, builder. 

" "H» A, Ruesell", 30 tons, 1860, 

A# & M. Gamage & Co, bui'lders 

" "Ida F.", 46 tons, 1860, 

H. Fitoh, builder, 

• "Montioello", 46 tons, 1860, 

A« & M<, Gamage & Co, builders. 

Page 30 

Schooner ^A» MoPonald", 96 tons, 1861, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co, builders. 

" "Prima Donna", 80 tons, 1861, 

S. L^ Foster, builder. 

* ''Mountain Fawn", 33 tons, 1861, 

S. L, Foster, builder. 

" "Come On," 17 tons, 1861, 

J. P» Cortland, builder, 

" "Georgiana Young", 49 tons, 1861, 

S. L. Foster, builder. 

" "G. W. Clifford", 51 tons, 1861, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co, builders. 

" "liger*^, 21 tons, 1861; 

Elijah Foster, builder. 

" "J, B. Woodbury", 103 tons, 1862, 

A« & M. Gamage & Co., builders. 

* "RhodaG", 18 tons, 1863, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co, builders^, 

" "William Fosher, 122 tons, 1863, 

A. & M. Gamage &. Co, builders. 

" "Mitcaom", 11 tons, 1863, 

Elijah Foster, builder. 

" "Monitor", 83 tons, 1863, 

Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

" "Good Templer", 80 tons, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co, builders. 

Page 31 

Schooner ''Wings of the Morning", 200 tons, 
1864, Samuel Kelsey, builder 

■ ^ "Maud IMller", 80 tons, 1864, 

A. & M. Gamage & co, builders* 

^ 'Vanguard*, 80 tons, 1864, 

A* & M. Gamage & Co, Guilders. 

» "T. T). Wilder", 297 tons, 1864, 
Samuel Foster, builder* 

^ "Adelaide", 69 tons, 1864, 

James RlohaJds, builder. 

• "Emma T, Storer", 29 tons, 1865, 

Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

" »E. P. ChUTOh", 72 tons, 1865, 

A* & M. Gamage & Co, Guilders. 

« "Queen of the Fleet", 100 tons, 
1866, John Farrar, builder, 

* "Experanza", 43 tons, 1866-, 

Samuel Kelsey, bulldeiUj, 

■ "Maud J^uller", 45 tons, IBSTy 

A* & M. Gamage & Co, builders-^ 

■ "Benjamin Oliver", 78 tona, 1Q67, 

A. & M, Gamage & CcbmJLd&rs. 

" "Pleadls", 107 tons, 1867, 

A. &. M, Gamage & Co,btillder8» 

" "Etta Gott", 92 tons, 1857, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co, builders. 

Page 32 

Sohooner " Enol a Cunningham" ^ 1 CB tons, 1867 
A. & M» Gaciage & Co, "builders 

" "Annie G, Webber", 5 tons, 1867, 

Samuel Kelcey, builder, 

" ^Tiaura and t'farrlon", 49 tons, 1867, 

A* & M. Gamage & OOfbuilderSc 

" "Nautilus", 9 tons, 1868, 

S» lu Foster, builder^ 

" ifMartha Do MoLane"^ 75 tons^ 1868, 

A. & !/• GaiTiage & C.->, builder a* 

" "Ousel", 42 tons, 1868, 

Harvey Gaul, builder. 

" "Franklin S» Schenok", 85 tons, 
1869, A. & M. Gamage & Cg, builders. 

" "Herman E. Poole", 85 tons, 1859, 
A« & M» Gamage & Co, builders. 

" "Cora E. Smith", 49 tons, 187C, 

A» &■ M. Gamage & Co, builders. 

" "Ivy Belle", 133 tons, 1870, 
Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

" "Minnie Davin", 30 tons, 

lu A. Gamage, 1870, builder. 

" "James Nicholas", 64 tons, 1870, 
S. L, Foster, builder;» 

Sloop "Frank E, Stone", 16 tons, 1870, 
S. Ii. Foster, builder^ 

Schooner "Mary Chaplin", 35 tons, 1870, 

A. & M. Gamage, & Co, builders. 
Page 33 

Sloop *Nelllo«, 10 tons, 1870, 

Am & M. Gamags <5t Co,bulldQr8, 

» »Ida% 9 tons, 1870, 

A, & Mo Gamags, t Go^suildors, 

• . "Edith Bradley", 10 tons, 1870, 

A» & M. Gamags <Si Co, builders^ 

" "Emma", 9 tons, 1870, 

A. &. Mo Gamage :^ Co, builders. 

"* "Eureka", 10 tone, 1871, 

Ao & M. Gamage u Co,bullderso 

* "Lizzie", 9 tons, 1871, 

A« & Mo Gamage & Co^buildsrs. 

" "Ann Eliza" p 10 tons, 1871, 

Ao & M, Gamage -^ Coj^^uilders^ 

« "Jennie", 6 tons, 1871, 

" "Pauline", 7 tons, 1871, 

'A. & M, Gamage & Co,builders, 

"■ "helia", 8 tons, 1871, 

Ao & Mo Gamage & Co,builderSo 

■ "Lydia Tarr", 10 tons, 1871, 

A. & M. Gamags Co.* builders. 

Schooner "Jennie H. Gilbert", 86 tons, 1871 
li. A. Gamage, builder. 

■ "MoSproul", 100 tons, 1871, 

Samuel Kelsey, builder. 

. " "Alios Norwood", 48otons, 1871, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co, t>uilders. 
^age 34 

Schooner **Ijewi8 R. French", 35 tons, 1871, 

A. & M. Gramage & Co^ , builders 

'"Georgia lilnwood", 30 tons, 1871^ 
A. & M. Gamage & Co, , builders 

»J. M, Bradley", 48 t'-s, 1871, 

A* &. M. Gamage &^Co. , builders 

"^oat Relief", 9 tons, 1871, 
S, Ii. Foster, builder. 

"Pride of the Port", 50 tons, 1872, 
Libbeus A. Gamage, builder. 

"Claries A* Dyer", 35 tons, 1873, 
Libbeus A, Gamage, builder. 

"Millie Florence", 32 tons, 1873, 

A, & M. Gamage & Co. , builders 

*^E. F. Willard", 105 tons, 1872, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co,, build-'TS 

"Mary Evelyn", 1C6 tons, 1872, 

A. &.M. Gamag© & Co, builders 

■D. B, Mayhew, 35 tons, 1872, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co. buildoTS 

"Onward", 78 tons, 1872, 1770884. 

Samuel Kelsey, builder. \ 

"A. & Mo Gamage", 111 tons, 

A. & M, Gamage & Co. buildejre 

G€Om W. Hunt", 57 tons, 1872, 

A. &• M. Gamage & Co, buildtjrs 

"Geo. I. Stephens", 85 tons, 1872, 
A.&iSl. Gamage & Co- , builders. 
Page 35 

Schooner "Arwilda Morse", 18 tons, 1873, 

A» & M* Gamage,& Co^ builders 

■ "Nathan F. Dixon", 33 tons, 1873, 

A. & M« Gamage <5e Co ^builders. 

Steamer "Wm» A» Welle", 61 tons, 1873, 

A* & Mo Gamage & Co, "builders. 

Schooner "Rose & Adra", 150 tons, 1874, 
Samuel Kelsey, builder^ 

« »No J<y Day", 150 tons, 1874, 

Samuel Kelsey, builder, 

■ ''Margie Smith", 108 tons, 1874, 

Ao & M« Gamage & Co, builders, 

» "Little Nellie", 37 tons, 1874, 

A, & Mo Gamage & Co, builders, 

* "Daudnaught", 33 tons, 1874, 

A, & M, Gamage & Co, builders, 

SteSmer "Albert Brown", 95 tons, 1874, 

Ac & Mo Gamage & Co, builders, 

" "Eugene F, Pierce", 55 tons, 1874, 
A, & M, Gamage & Co, builders. 

Schooner "Sina Shore", 13 tons, 1874, 

A, &<, Mo Gamage & Co, builders, 

" "Freeman Colgate", 43 tons, 1875, 
A, & M, Gamage «i Co, builders, 

■ "Mamie Davis", 43 tons, 1875, 

A. &. M, Gamage & Co, builders, 

« "William Herbert", 10 tons, 1875, 
A, & M» Gamage & Co, builders. 

Page 36 

Schooner "Williaai Herbert", 10 tons, 1875, 
A. & M. Gramage & Co. b-ailddrs. 

Sloop "King Fisher", 10 tons, 1875, 

Allen Gamage, builder. 

Schooner "Daylight", 10 tons, 1875, 
Allen Gamage, builder. 

« * "Laura E. Garaago", 13 tons, 1875, 
Elijah Foster, builder, 

St':-aui<>r "E. F. Debbie", 81 tons, 1877, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co., builders. 

Sloop "Lizzie Wei worth", 9 tens, 1877, 
Dennis Went worth, builder. 

Schooner "I.^stery", 11 tons, 1877, 

Wm. A. McFarland, builder. 

■ "Cora Etta", 7 tons, 1878, 

McFarland, builder. 

Sloop "Mary Etta", 6 tons, 1878, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co. , builders. 

Schooner "Little Fannie", 35 tons, 1878, 

A. & M. Gamage & Co., builders 

■ "Rose Brothers", 18 tons, 1878, 

A. <Sc M. Gamage & Co. , builders. 

Sloop "Anna May", 9 tons, 1878, 
Thomas Goudy, builder. 

" "Elestine Light", 18 tons, 1878, 

Schooner "Claremont, 6 tons, 1878, 

Bradford Thompson, builder. 
Page 37 

Schooner "Orlssa B. Kimball**, 34 tons, 1878 

« "F. Ho Smith", 74 tons, 1883, 

A* & Me Gamage & Coo,, builders. 

« ^Bax Bell", 12 tons, 1883, 

Newell A^ Gajnage, builder, 

« '^Fannie E, Thrasher", 26 tons, 1883 

Ao & Me Gamage & Co^, builders 

6lo6p "Princess", 24 tons, 1883. 

Leander McFarland, buildera 

Sobooner "Mary F^ Smith", 33 tons, 1883, 

A. & Mc Gamago & Co« , builders. 

" '^Nellie G^ Davis", 38 tons, 1884, 

Ao & Mo Gamage & Coc , builders. 

" "Cla-^a R, C-.c.i.meeJ 34 tons, 1884^ 

Ao ^ Mo Gamage & Coo, builders* 

^ ''Watseka", lb tons, 1884, 

Ao & Mo Gamage & Coo, builders* 

" "Violet Mo Brewer'', 22 tons, 1888, 

Ao & Mo Gamage & Co., builders. 

« *'Elith M, Thompson", 21 tons, 1889, 

A. & Mo Gamago & Co., builders. 

Sloc^. "Heotor'S 8 tons, 1890, 

McFarland, builder^ 

" "Henry G. ", 16 tons, 1891, 

Ho H. Goudy, builder. 

Schooner "Alva", 15 tons, 

A. & M. Gama?o & Co., buildera. 
Page 38 

Sloop "Vesuvius", 9 tons, 1893, 

W. McFarland, builder. 

Schooner "Kate & Mabel", 32 tons, 1893, 

A» & IL Gramage & Co., builders. 

• "Charlotte A. BeaZ", 40 tons, 1884 

Aa & M. Gamage & Co., builders. 

Sloop "Florence", 17 tons, 1896, 

Giford Gamage d Co«, builders. 

Schooner "C, A. Dollivor", 20 tons, 1894, 

Ao <3: M. Gamage d Co. , builders, 

" "Eo M. Nichol", 28 tons, 1894, 

Ap & M. Gamage & Co., builders. 

Steamer "Anodyne", 6 tons, 1894, 

A. & M, Gamage & Co*, builders. 

Sloop "Leroy", 8 tons, 1895, 

B. McFarland, builder. 

■ "Jennie Ro", 8 tons, 1841, 

liibbeus A. Gamage, builder. 


Schooner "Emily", 100 tons, 1841, 
J. G. Huston, builder. 

■ "Clara", 110 tons, 1841, 
J» B. Hall builder. 

Brig "Cordova", 200 tons, 1845, 
T, Freeman Day, builder. 

Page 39 

Brig "Balphln", 160 tons, 1769, 

Urunmond & Co. > buliderso 

Schooner "Walpolo", 13 tong^ 1836, 
Jamjs Jones, bulldei\ 

» "Gao, W, Be:^j:-3o'^ ?.00 t.-jns, 1057, 

John Farias, build^rc 

Page 40 

T"^e situation of South Bristol being 
dtTQCtly on the sea coast and having 
plenty of good harbors at once determined 
the chief employment of the inhabitants 
as being connected with ths^navigation 
and fishing industries. South Bristol in 
the early days supplied large quantities 
of wood, lumber, and fish for domestic 
markets, and at a later period much timber 
for shipbuilding. A large part of the acea 
of South Bristol is covered with evergreen 
treese In the early days^ large oaks were 
a feature which is in the past, as they 
have nsaJly all been converted into ship 

The war with Great Britain in 1813- 
18-15, being chiefly a maritime war, nav- 
igation and commerce suffered greatly all 
along the coast, and no place more than 
South Bristol as it was upon these that 
most of the people depended. Boston as a 
market was practically cut off as it was 
not safe to send fish or wood there; the 
enemy privateers thronged the coaist, 
making our vessels liable to be taken. For 
this reason, our people suffered for want 
of provisions. All kinds of goods except 
what could be raised on the rather poor 
soil Was almost impossible to obtain, and 
the inhabitants suffered great privation^ 
Bread was so hard to get that in order to 
get a little .Thite flour for bread for all 
the sacramental ordinances in the Christ- 
ian Church that the entire wheat meal 
would be sifted through fine sieves, then 
through a gauze, to get a little fine 
white flour. For soda they would sweep the 
big hearth and born corncobs and use the 
white ash which had to be carefully sep- 

Page 41 

aXated from tho dark. Sugar and molassos 
were almost impossible to obtain. Sap from 
the mapla txea and juico from com stalks 
bailed do-?7n to a syrup. People were throvm 
almost entirely on their o\m resources for 
food and clothing to a great extent. These 
were the times that tried men's souls. Let 
us for a moment imagine the condition of 
what it would be with no railroads or 
steamboats, an enemy's privateers watching 
for every opportunity to prey upon our 
oomm.erce. To add to all of this, the 
Spring of 1816 was extremely cold and wet, 
and vegetation unusually backward; as a 
consequence, the farmers were delayed in 
their planting and certain of their crops, 
such as Indian corn, were so backvTard that 
an early frost quite destroyed them. It is 
Said there were some frosts on the low 
grounds in this state every month of that 
year, 1816, and on the evening of June 6, 
snow fell so as to fairly whiten the 
grounds There was no Indian corn ripened 
in this town that year, and seed com for 
the spring planting was very scarce as the 
people in those days depended almost en- 
tirely on home product b. The most import- 
ant Naval action that occurred in this 
section during the War of 1812-1815 was 
the c^ture of the British brig "Boxer" by 
the U. S. brig "Enterprise" on Sunday, 
Sept* 5, 1813, The action took place in a 
line nearly m.ldway between the extreme end 
of Pemaquid Point and the Isl oTxd of Monho- 
gan. This engagement was in plain sight cf 
and witnessed by crowds that gathered on 
the high land in the southern part of this 
town. This heroic naval contest has been 
too often described to require a repeti- 
tion of the details. At about this time 

Page 42 

the militia companies all along the coast 
mexe ordered to be in readiness at a mo- 
njent^B notice in case of an attempt by the 
enemy to lando Guard houses at different 
parts of the to^Tn were erected and a de- 
tachment from Capt. Sproul^s company of 
Bristol militia quartered at each pi ace o 
A guard house was erected at Rutherford* s 
Island a detachment of Capt, Sproul^s men 
were stationed thereo One night their 
countersign was "Liberty", the next night 
•union", and further thon this there is no 
record. The territory of Bristol being ex- 
tensive and as many were obliged to travel 
a long distance to reach the center, many 
plans for dividing it had often been talk- 
ed of, but one of them was for the first 
time submitted to a vote of the citizens 
on October 15, 1817; it was rejected by a 
vote of forty-two in favor and sixty 
against. The next year, November 2, 1818, 
a proposition to divide the to^vn by the 
old parish lines of Walpole, Harrington, 
and Broad Cove was submitted to vote and 
rejected. In the early days nearly all the 
Women knew how to spin ans weave and knit, 
in which some were very skillful as some 
of their handiwork has been preserved ^ 
to the present day. Although there was not 
much of what is called fancy work in those 
days, their work required skill and intell- 
igence. The most of the cloth in those 
days was manufactured from flax and wool 
raised on their own farms. 

A tailor was hired to come to the 
house once a year and make the clothing 
for the family, as was alao a shoemaker 
to make the shoes. The tailor was usually 
an Irish journeyman. The first blacksmith. 

Page 43 

In the southern part of the town was Mike 
Ferril; his shop was near the spot whore 
Capt. Leighton's house now stands. The 
next was Capt^ James Farrar. The writer 
can remembor when he made his ovvm chajcoai: 
this was about 1850, Capt. FarraJ was a 
Captain of the British Militia* The next 
Smith was James, son of Capt, James Farrar; 
his shop was on the island near the end 
of the bridgeo The first shoema;k:er to ho 
located -vas Asa Bradley. His shop was next 
to the bridge on the island. The next was 
MearSo The fishing industry is now almost 
a thing of the past. There is no more a 
demand for the larger class of fishing 
vessels for the Grand Banks. Lobsters, 
which once were so plentiful that they 
were caught and fed to hogs, are now a 
luxury. The pogies on Monhegan axe driven 
from our ooast, and all fish have become s 
so scarce that fishermen have been obliged 
to turn to other pursuits for livelihood. 
Many who are building boats go both for 
rowing and power. Later aibout 1860 a 
special branch of the fishing business 
sprang up here as well as other places on 
the New England coast, called pogy fishing, 
for oils^ For the first this was carried 
on by the fishermen along the coast on a 
Small soale, catching these fish in nets, 
and trying out the oil in a smEill and 
primitive manner. It soon developed into a 
large business, and New York parties came 
to these parts and started the business on 
a large scale. Factories were built and 
the fish were taken in large quantities 
with seines; steamboatQ vTere employed, 
each factory having two or three. The oil 
Was used for almost every purpose that 
linseed oil was used for, and the scrap 
was used for fertilizer purposes. 

Page 44 

South Bristol at one time had four 
SaPtorlea which employed quite a large 
nunibfix of men, and each factory had sev- 
eral boats employed* The fish, though 
abundant at first, could not stand this 
wholesale slaughter, and they are now 
nearly exterminated or driven from this 
coast and the business has been abandoned. 
The pogy or menhaden had from the early 
days been used for bait in other fisheries. 
In the early da^s a ec'^ial custom prevail- 
ed of doing much of the work Uy hees; the 
men would go to a neighbor's and chop all 
day, taice dinner azid &upper, the dinner 
being the middcC' nioalo In the evening the 
ladies, your.^ in± eld, would gOo The 
largest rjc-.n ^rrould be claared of all fur- 
niture for daace and plays which would be 
kept up un'uil a late houTc The ocrn was 
also husked in like manner* Sometimes bcth 
"men and vTomen would go to the husking 
beesj this was done In the big barn floor, 
and one feature of the supper was pumpkin 
piSc Dances in those days were called 
sprees^ Some of the early customs appear 
very strange to us at the present day«» 
The collector went from house to house to 
collect the taxeso If the parties were not 
prepared to pay, the collector was armed 
with a piece of white chalk and wrote 
doi<7n the taxes in a conspicuous place over 
the door where it must stay until paid© 
Launching a vessel and house raising were 
also great events. 

We find by papers left by Thomas 
Thompson, Esq,, that he succeeded Franklin 
Pierce, Esq^ , in his appointment by the 
government Deputy Collector of Customs for 
the port of Bristol and district of Waldo- 
Page 45 

boro. I also find that he was seven times 
oommiBSioned by the Governor, a ^^^^^-^^^ 
the Psaoe, covering a period of forty^nine 
years. He also served the to^ in differ- 
ent capacities, such as selectman. Capt, 
David was next appointed deputy 
collector; he also served the torn in dirt- 
e?ent capacities. Capt, ^r.. J^fl^foc^^e^ 
the last man in this pcort of the town to 
receive the appointm.ent, as this ottice 
was at the time discontinued. 

Hon. Wmo MoClintook was bom September 
39. 1778o His father was a native of 
Ireland. He was formerly much employed as 
surv&yox of land and 

***♦*♦* Page missing 


into John»s Bay and reappeared. She 
wa0 sold at auction and brought by McClin- 
r^k and Damariscotta parties. The bridge 
at South Bristol, being a ^ooden bridge, 
was talcen a-^ay to let the ^-Debbis" pass 
through. This vms the only square rig ves- 
sel that ever passed through the channel 
betvveen Rutherford's Island and the main 
land. Capt. McClintock loa;:3.ed his brig at 
Damariscotta ^^ith vThite oais: for Dublin, 
Ireland, where he made a successiul trip. 

Thomas McClure came from Boston sev- 
eral years before the close of the sev- 
enteenth century and settled near the ^ai- 
pole Meeting House, He was chosen treasur- 
er of the town and twice as representative 
of the general court. He was the lirst 
Postmaster in Bristol, now South Bristol, 
being appointed in 18CC. He also kept a 
store there. He held the office of post- 
Page 46 

master until his removal from the place 
in 1805, Aaron Blaney was appointed to 
«uoceed him May 15, 1806. He married Nancy 
Hunter, daughter of Henry Hunter; Rev. 
Alexander W, McClure, Amherst, Cal., wa^ 
his Son. Aaron Blaney, jr., became aasoc- 
lated in "business with Mr, McClure on the 
Damarisootta about 1803. He came from Rox- 
bury to Damariscotta as clerk to Oliver 
Gridley in 1793, but the next year engaged 
In the service of Kavanaugh and Cattrill, 
who were at the time very largely engaged 
in trade with the West Indies <, Subsequent- 
ly, he became a partner with McClure in 
Walpole, and when the latter retired he 
Continued the business many years,. He took 
a deep interest in the public affairs of 
the tc\7n, and from his knovrledge of busi- 
ness, made himself particularly useful in 
settling the difficulties with the non-res- 
ident land proprietors. Several years he 
was elected treasurer of the town, and 
later in life for four years successively, 
1834-1837, Inclusive, he represented the 
town in the legislature of the state and 
for many years he held the office of the 
Justice of Peace o His father, Aaron Blaney, 
Sr,, Was appointed in 16C6 to succeed Mr. 
McClure as postmaster, and he held the 
office until his death in 1834; he was 
succeeded by his son, Arnold Blaney, who 
held the office until 1843 -.vhen the locar- 
tion Was changod to Bristol ^^ills. The 
Goudy family, Amos Goudy, Esq., was born 
in Bristol October 1744 and died June 33, 
1834. His father, whose name was also Amos 
Came here from York and waa one of the 
Earliest settlers on the eastern side of 
the Damariscotta opposite Pleasant Cove« 
He was largely engaged in the fishing bus- 
Page 47 

Iness and also created a.saiw and grist mill 
at ths place kno\vn as Goudy»3 Mills, later 
Paul's Mill. He left, besides other child- 
ren, John and Amos, from whom all of the 
Bristol Goudy&g have been descended. Amos 
Goudy, the sherriff of the county, was a 
man of much intelligence and firmness and 
according to traditions, creditably per- 
formed the painful duty of the conducting 
of the first execution in Lincoln County^ 
His wife was Sarah Clark who was born in 
1745. Passing aown from Cla,rk''s Cove at ths 
head of the Western branch of John's River, 
was in early days the residence of Widow 
Northo She was widow of the first of the 
nacio that came to this countryl her husband 
probably died here about 1741. The remains 
of cellars are still to be found here and 
a^-so several applo trees. Passing do'vvn the 
west side between John's Bay and the namar- 
iscotta River, wo next come to the G. Clark 
place, then to P, Rogers, R. Sproul, and 
J. Young* Further down on tho west and near- 
noarly opposite Seal Gove, was John ^^irling 
on the T^amarisootta- From Clark's Cove 
north were those of Thomas Hut chins and 
John North. John North wa^ a land surveyor. 

The meeting house question in tha 
mother town of Bristol, after more than 
six years of earnest discussion, was sett- 
led. It was a question of whether to build 
one meeting house for the whole to'<7n or 
divide the to>7n into three parishes and 
that a meeting house should be erect -id in 
each. This was about 1772. The three parish- 
OS were Broad Cove, V^alpolo, and Harrington. 
The Walpole meeting house is in South 
Bristol, but a pcirt of tho parish is in 
each town, ^vhilo the Harrington Meeting 

Page 48 

House is in the mother town, A part of the 
pariah Is in South Bristol. On May 5, 1775 
at a town meeting at Wm. Sproul * s house 
in ''ristol^ Caleb Turner of Broad Cove, 
Was appointed to ride post of Falmouth 
(Portland) and bring weekly papers, three 
in number, one for each pai*ish. He was to 
receive twenty shillings in lawful money 
for each trip. As a part of two parishes 
are now in South Bristol, that would have 
given South Bristol an interest in two of 
the papers. 

NOTE; This history has been oopiei as 

Mr. Nelson Gamage wrote it without changes 

in paragraphing, etc. 

Page 49