Skip to main content

Full text of "A short story of Presbyterian Church life in Greenville: its organizations and beginnings: seventy-fifth anniversary of the First Presbyterian Church, 1848-1923"

See other formats

SMC 285. 175 7 G74 SBTA 

A short story of Presbyterian Church lif 

3 5197 00094749 2 

Greenville, South Carolina 

Seventy-fifth Anniversary 




^^UFtttg-ftftij Anmu^raarg 




As it HOW stands 

^W^ 15i S(Ur^, 














After it had been decided to celebrate the 
seventy-fifth anniversary of the organization of 
our church, the committee in charge placed upon 
me the duty of writing the story of its beginning 
and early life. 

What you find in the succeeding pages is the 
result. The Sessional Records were the basis 
but these were supplemented by many reminis- 
cences and memories. 

No attempt was made to care for the events 
of recent years, it is nearly all of the past and 
little is recorded that comes within the memory 
of the larger part of the present membership. 

A Church Is Bom 

BEFORE settling to dry facts, buttressed by dates and 
records, it seems v/ell worth while to deal a little with 
memories, and maybe some traditions, in regard to the past 
of our Church. 

Though one's own memory may not go beyond the time 
of the little rectangular brick Church, facing Richardson 
Street, with its heavy white columns in front and the little 
belfry with its even smaller bell atop the building : many 
were then living, whose knowledge of Greenville and the 
church affiliations or leanings of its people, went back far 
beyond the time of any local Presbyterian organization. 

It is quite certain that, for many years, a nucleus for 
the forming of a Church existed, possessing a desire to or- 
ganize but lacking the vigor and boldness necessary for 
taking the step. Life cannot be abundant without action. 
Spiritually as w^ell as mentally and physically there must be 
use of our faculties to grow or even hold our own. 

The social instinct is strong in most people, it is especially 
evident in the young and in consequence of this, as well 
also as of the fact that it was good for the young to be there 
to get the instruction and influence of the helpful environ- 
ment, many of the children of Presbyterians attended the 
Sunday schools of the Episcopal, Baptist, and Methodist 
Churches. Naturally many of these united with the 
churches, to which they had grown attached through attend- 
ing their Sunday schools. 

Mrs. Jane McBee, the wife of Vardy McBee, was a life 
long Presbyterian, becoming one of the charter members of 
the Presbyterian Church of Greenville C. H., as the organiza- 
tiO'n was first termed. Mr. McBee a few years later also 
united with this church. 

It was in the late evening of their lives that the privilegie 
of membership in a local church of their choice had come 


to this couple, their children were all grown when it took 
place. The present generation of our Church, at least all 
who know it, feel gratified over the fact that one who has 
meant so much in the past life of Greenville as did Mr. 
McBee, was a msmber of our Church but even had he not 
been a member, there would still be cause for gratitude, for 
he brought John Adams and Logan B. Cline to Greenville. 

In the days we have been speaking of, Christ Episcopal 
Church stood, much as it appears now, only smaller, while 
the Methodist Church was on the Southwest corner of 
Coffee and Church Streets nearly opposite. The fact that 
the majority of the town's churches were on this street 
gave it its name, and the Baptist Church stood in the mid- 
dle of East McBee Avenue about where Irvine Street enters 
said Avenue, these three churches being the town's total sup- 

It is said that in 1845 or 1846, Mrs. Sarah E. Stone, later 
a charter member of the Church, induced her friend, Dr. 
Benjamin M. Palmer, Sr., to spend the summer here, and 

Many people now living have heard of Dr. Palmer's 
great strength and ability as a preacher, as well as his at- 
tractive personality as a man, so its not strangle that he 
planted a desire in the hearts of the Presbyterians to or- 
ganize a Church. 

The first entry in the "Record of the Session of the 
^resbyterian Church Greenville, S. C," is as follows : 

"pRESBYTe:rIAN church at GREENVILLE C H." 


Immediately' following this heading was a record of 
the fact that several ladies of Greenville village had peti- 
tioned the Presbytery, meeting at Newberry, C. H. in 
October 1847, to send them supplies of preaching by Presby- 
terian ministers. Complying, Presbytery named Rev's. 
Lewers, Holmes and Gaillard to look after the matter. 

The Rev. S. S. Gaillard came for the 4th Sunday in 
November (and tbe day preceding), held several religious 



First Pnstor of Church 

meetings in the Methcdist Church, which had been kindle- 
off ered for the occasion. 

At the close of these services a meeting was appointed 
to be held at the same place, to begin on Friday evening 
before the third Sabbath in January 1848. Rev. Sam'l. B. 
Lewers, Rev. Z. S. Holmes and Rev. John McLees attended. 

At a meeting Saturday afternoon, it was determined un- 
animously to organize a Church and the following persons 
signified their intention of becoming members : T. H. Mc- 
Leod, Mrs. M. A. McLeod ; Miss A. C. Millen; J. W. Mont- 
gomery ; Mrs. Sarah Stone ; Mrs. Sarah Butler ; Whitef ord 
Smith, Sr. ; Mrs. W. Smith ; Mrs. Mariah Harrison and Mrs. 
Margaret C. Cline. 

James McPherson on profession was received into fel- 

David Clarey and Whiteford Smith, Sr., were elected 
Ruling Elders, which office a few days later, they declined. 
Their refusal to serve rendered this first attempt at organiza- 
tion ineffectual. 

The next minutes in the ro^oi-d were headed : 


This meeting was held on the 4th Sabbath in February 
1848 at which the following paper was submitted : 
("South Carolina, Greenville, C. H.":) 

"The persons v/hose names are here subscribed, feeling 
an interest in the Redeemer's Kingdom and desirous of 
having the word preached within their bounds by ministers 
of their own order, do hereby associate themselves in the 
fo'rm of a Presbyterian Church, to be under the care of the 
Presbytery of South Carolina, and agree to submit them- 
selves to the government of the Presbyterian Church as it 
is administered in the United States of America. 

Signers. Februaiy 26th, 1848. 
MEN Jas. McPherson 

F. H. McLeod J. W. Montgomery 

John Adams women 

Whiteford Smith M. C. Cline 


S. A. Shaver Margaret Smith 

Sarah E. Stone Sarah L. Butler 

Jane McBee Mary Ann Adams 

Mariah S. Harrison Mary C. Speer 

Mary A. McLeod Prances G. McLeod." 

John Adams born in Scotland and at this time a mem- 
ber of Fairview Church, was elected a ruling Elder, being 
ordained at the close of the evening service. 

Rev. Z. S. Holmes, father of N. J. Holmes, the first pas- 
tor of the Second Presbyterian Church, was the member of 
the committee presiding over the meeting of organization 
and he urged the n-err.bers tO' secure the service of an ad- 
ditional Elder at as early a date as possible. 

The next minutes of the Session indicates the fulfilling 
of the charge in regard to selection of additional Elders and 
are quoted in full below: "April 9th, 2nd Sabbath 1848." 

"According to previous notice, a sacramental meeting 
was held in the Female Academy commencing on Friday 
evening and closing after service on Sabbath. Ministers 
present, Rev. Z. S. Holmes and Rev. S. S. Gaillard, assisted 
by Rev. E. F. Hyde. 

On Sabbath morning at ten o'clock, a special meeting 
was called (which had been prevented on Saturday by in- 
clement weather) to take the necessary steps towards the 
ordination of an additional Elder. After the meeting had 
been opened by prayer. Dr. J. P. Hillhouse, presented a 
certificate of dismission from Mt. Zion Church, and being 
received and nominated, he was unanimously elected a Rul- 
ing Elder. Arrangements were then immediately made for 
his ordination, to take place at the close of next sermon. 
Accordingly, after a sermon preached by the Rev. S. S. 
Gaillard, some remarks were made by Rev. Z. S. Holmes, 
explanatory of the nature and scriptural authority of the 
office of Ruling Eiders, after which he proceeded to ordain 
Dr. Hillhouse as Ruling Elder of the Presbyterian Church 
at Greenville C. H. 

Members of Committee of Presbytery." 

Z. S. Holmes, 
S. S. GaHlard. 




The Church's Early Life : 

N the same date as the events narrated in the closing 
portion of the last chapter, April 9, 1848, the Session 
met, Rev. Z. S. Holmes, Moderator, when Dr. J. P. Hillhouse 
was elected Clerk of the Session. Dr. Hillhouse served as 
Clerk for four years, until April 24th, 1852, zealously ful- 
filling the duties of the office. 

Dr. Hillhouse 's service was wonderfully faithful in that 
there is only one recorded instance of absence from any ses- 
sional meeting and this once was on October 12th, 1851. 

The first accession to the Church and the first baptism 
of infants of its members are recorded in the minutes of 
Sept. 24th, 1848, as follows: 

"On examination, Mrs. Service and Siberia, servant and 
slave of Mrs. Sarah E. Stone, were received into the com- 
munion of the Church." 

The sons of Mrs. Mary C. Speer, Beattie and David, as 
well as the infant child of Siberia were granted the sacre- 
ment of baptism. 

There were no further additions to the Church until 
April 15th, 1849, when Alexander Clark and wife were 
received, o-n certificate from First Protestant Reformed 
Dutch Church of Patterson, N. J. 

Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. S. S. Gaillard and 
wife, Sarah, was baptized, Dec. 5th, 1848 by Rev. Joseph 
Hillhouse. Mr. Gaillard had served the Church since or- 
gianization as Stated Supply. On Dec. 17th, same year, 
William Alexander, son of John and Mary Adams, was 
baptized. On July 7th, 1867, W. A. Adams was received 
into full membership and was a faithful member through- 
out the term of his life. 

The next record of the Sessic-n is of peculiar interest 
to the older members of the Church, so it is quoted in full : 

"Session met this morning in the Lyceum Hall, members 


present John Adams and J. P. Hillhouse. The request of 
Margaret Cline for her child, Alice, to be baptized, was 
granted. The sacrament was administered by the Rev. 
S. S. Gaillard." 
October 14th, 1849 J. P. Hillhouse, Clerk. 

Logan B. Cline, the father, had not yet united with the 
Church hence the reason of the mother alone sponsoring 
the baptism of the infant child. Seventy four years will 
have passed between the date of this baptism and the time 
of the celebration of the Church's seventy fifth anniversary, 
a life of unbroken identification with this Church. 

Mrs. Alice Ferguson, then this baby, has been continuous- 
ly connected Avith this Church longer than any other person, 
living or dead, nor have any others inherited from their 
parents a greater right to love and cherish it, than she. 

Between the dates of 1849 and 1851, the Church moved 
along the even tenor of its way. Services were held, largely, 
in the Lyceum building, situated on what is now the campus 
of the Greenville Womans College. About this period 
Vardry McBee had given the Church a lot facing Richard- 
son Street, Washington Street then having its western ter- 
minus in Richardson, for the purpose of erecting a house of 
worship thereon. 

While there is no record in the Sessional minutes of 
thel fact, memory tells that the new church building was 
occupied in 1851, because a marble tablet was set into the 
front of the building, giving that year as the date of 

June 7th, 1851, was an important date in the life of the 
Church, in that it was the day of entrance into its life 
of two persons who were very faithful to its interests for the 
balance of their long lives. 

The record says "Thomas Claghorn Gower, Jane Jones 
Gower, Mary Elizabeth Williams, Henry Julius Smith and 
Logan B. Cline Avere received into the communion of the 
Church on examination." At a previous meeting of the 
congregation, Whiteford Smith, Sr., was elected to the 


Called originally. "The Preshyterian Church of Greenville. C. H." 


office of Ruling Elder, duly ordained and a minute of the 
action made in this same record of June 7th. 

On January 4th, 1852, Mr. Cline and Mr. Gower were 
elected Deacons; on September 1855 they were made Elders. 

Uniting with the church on the same day, they were as 
twins in their church life, until death called them to their 
final reward. The highest interest of the church was al- 
ways their deepest concern and neither spared his time 
or means for its upbuilding. Mr. Gower, throughout his 
entire life <ind Mr. Cline until late in life, were 
handicapped by an inability to speak or pray in public. 
This was a veritable thorn in the flesh with both of them 
and a handicap to fullest Christian effort that they greatly 

On the date that Mr. Cline and Mr. Gower were elected 
Elders, James McPherson and Jos. R. Dickson were chosen 

as Deacons. 

On September 14th, 1851, Rev. S. S. Gaillard who had 
so faithfully served the congregation as stated supply, was 
called by the congregation as its pastor. Dr. E. T. Buist, his 
successor in the pastorate acting as moderator of the meet- 
ing. On September 20th 1851, Presbytery installed Mr. 
Gaillard as pastor of the Church. 

For a period of about eleven years Mr. Gaillard had the 
oversight of the Church, tlie foundation laying period of 
its existence, either as stated supply or pastor. Faithfully 
he fulfilled the duties of his position and his memory is 
revered by the few people who remember him personally. 
The elder Mrs. Hicks, a life long Methodist, who has lived 
a lifetime on Pendleton Street, not far from where the 
Gaillards lived and who also, as a girl, attended the or- 
ganization meeting of the Church, accompanying Mr. and 
Mrs. Montgomery, two of the charter members, said: "Mr. 
(Gaillard was a good preacher, a good neighbor and a fine 
man." Mr. Gaillard resigned as pastor on October 23rd, 
1858, but took charge again June 15th, 1859, as stated sup- 

During the interval of Mr. Gaillard 's severance from the 


Church, the Rev. W. F. Pearson, father of present Elder 
A. A. Pearson, served the Church. 

The records are strangely silent as to the time of the 
dedication of the Church, but chance gave the clue. In 
discussing the question with Mrs. S. C. Mills, she said: 
"Mame and myself were baptized on the day the Church 
was dedicated." The records show that the children of 
T. C. and J. J. Gower, were baptized April 10th, 1853, the 
names of the children were Susan Cordelia and Mary Eliza- 
beth Gower. 

Naturally, it is impossible to mention all the items of 
interest contained in the records of the Session and its 
equally as hard for any one person to select always, the most 
important. The compiler of this data will regret any omis- 
sion that should have been included or the writing of any- 
thing that might have been best left out, but much thought 
and work is being given to make it as acceptable as pos- 

On November 2nd, 1851, a letter of dismissal is granted 
to Mrs. Sarah A. Hawkins with the following wording, 
which seems to indicate a lack of knowledge of compara- 
tively nearby conditions. "Mrs. Sarah A. Hawkins, was 
dismissed at her own request to join herself with the people 
of God, whithersoever her lot may be cast, as she is remov- 
ing to the Western part of Georgia." Surely too, this in- 
dicates a broadmindedness not always pertaining, in that 
the letter is to any of God's people, regardless of name 
or denomination. 

The records of the Church indicate that lapses from the 
upright, of a flagrant and public nature were kindly but 
firmly dealt with, usually, they were loss of virtue in women 
and public drunkeness in men. 

The attitude towards intoxicants then, did not condemn 
moderate indulgence in strong drink, possibly even con- 
doned a use of it that now would be considered excessive, 
but there must be no spectacle made of its effect, bringing 
discredit upon the Church. 

The Church records, all of them, are interesting to any- 


one familiar with the Church through a long life of associa- 
tion, but it is only possible to cull, here and there, a few of 
the items, time and space forbid doing otherwise. 

On June 8th, 1857, Mrs. Elizabeth Gass was received on 
certificate from the Episcopal Church of Cleveland, Ohio. 

April 4th, 1858, John, the infant son of Elizabeth Gass, 
was baptized. Maj. Benjamin Gass, the husband and 
father, did not unite with the Church until 1865, dying 
soon thereafter. 

His widow, later, married Mr. Henry C. Markley, affec- 
tionately termed Greenville's "Grand Old Man" during 
the later years of his life, and always a devoted member 
of Christ Episcopal Church, so naturally John Gass became 
an Episcopalian. He entered the ministry and developed 
fine ability in his calling. Now, his son John is following 
in his father's footsteps. While Maj. Benjamin Gass did 
not unite with the Church until near his death, his interest 
in and zeal for the welfare of the Church was always mani- 

During the war between the States, when all the South 
was depleted of its vigorous, young and even middle aged 
manhood, Maj. Gass was a tower of strength in the Church 
and Sunday School. 

April 24th, 1858 marked three accessions to the Church 
on examination and one by certificate. The late John C. 
Bailey was one, while another was Bob, (a servant of R. 
Stuart, Esq.) All of the older members remember Mr. 
Bailey and his very faithful life in his Church relations, 
but not so many recollect "Bob". Bob was the church's 
faithful sexton for many years, remaining a member of our 
Church until 1878 when he was granted a letter to what is 
now the John Wesley Methodist Church. Bob was a long time, 
a connecting link between the old and the new, attending 
to the usual duties of a sexton before and after services, 
but sitting in the gallery and participating in the worship 
during the service, while at the sacrament of the Lords 
Supper he was served as reverently as the most distinguish- 
ed and important member. And then too, it was good to see 


the way Bob magnified his office ; no- pastor or officer more 
keenly felt his responsibilities or more zealously performed 
his duties. 

July 1st, 1855 notes this record. "Miss Matilda Griffith 
was received on certificate from the Mariners Church, Char- 
leston, S. C." 

A short entry, just another good woman coming into 
the Church, but few knew how much of pathos and tragedy 
was included in the life of this gentle mannered, kindly 
faced, middle aged, Irish woman, earning her living in o-ur 
midst by her skill with the needle. 

Back in "Old Ireland," that portion of it now opposing 
separation from Great Britian, many years before, a man 
and a maid had lived and loved, but then, as now in affairs 
political, divergencies of religdous belief, in the eyes of the 

elders, was a bar to the bans. 

Jo-hn Grant had wooed and won the heart of little Matilda 
Griffith but fate had reared such barriers to their union 
that John, hopeless, enlisted in the British army for service 
in India, a little later Matilda, her parents having died, 
seeks a home in America. 

It is hard to conceive of anything in life where every- 
thing went "dead wrong" as they did in the love affairs 
of these two. Each of them sailed from "The rivers to the 
ends of the earth" to- join each other only to find that fate 
was still barring their union. Everything has an end though 
and almost in the tAvilight of their lives, John Grant and 
Matilda Griffith joined each other in Greenville. About fifty 
years after "love's young dream" first brouglit them to- 
gether, they were united in marriage. 

Their married life was not of long duration, the husband 
dying. Mrs. Grant v/as now an old woman. Active and 
industrious she was, but there Avas a waning; of earning 
capacity and then sickness came. Mr. A. G. Gower was 
charged with the duty of visiting her and investigating 
conditions. The memory of this visit will always live with 
the visitor. A sturdier independence, a greater love for the 
"Kirk," a more cheerful facing of hardships or mo-re confi- 


dence and. faith in the future, than hers, could not be imag- 
ined, nor was anyone more interesting in their reminiscences 
than she. 

The first mention of the Sunday School in the Sessional 
records was in the statistical report to Presbj^tery, covering 
the year from April 1856 to April 1857, in fact this seems 
to be the first report made, when these entries occurred, "33 
in Sabbath School and Bible Class." "$14.71 (given) to 
S. S. Library for our school." 

Six months later, the number in Sabbath School liad in- 
creased to 37. 

In the semi-annual report of April 1858 is the first record 
of contributions from the Sunday School, totaling $10.00. 

October 17th, 1858 registers the resignation of Mr. Gail- 
lard from the pastorate of the Church. A congregational 
meeting was held to hear a statement of Mr. Caillard's 
reasons for desiring to sever relations. They were deemed 
entirely sufficient, the Church united with him in the appeal 
to Presbytery and adopted sympathetic and eulogistic 
resolutions expressing deep regret at the severance of rela- 

"The Ministerial labors of Rev. W. F. Pearson have been 
engaged for two Sabbaths in the month until the next 
regular meeting of Presbytery." 
"December 1858." 

Above is the record noting the coming of Mr. Gaillard's 

In June 19th, 1859, in a meeting of the Session, moderat- 
ed by Rev. "W. F. Pearson with Elders Smith, Gower and 
Cline present : it was agreed to tender the pulpit for two 
Sabbaths in the month to the Rey. S. S. Gaillard and these 
three were "appointed to wait upon Mr. Gaillard and confer- 
with the Board of Domestic Missions on the subject." 

A long time before a Presbyterian Church was organized 
in Greenville, the Greenville Presbyterian Church of Abbe- 
ville, then, in the same Presbytery, existed. The older 
Church had pre-empted the name the later arrival would 
naturally have adopted, so at first it was known as the 


Piesbyterian Church of Greenville Court-House, a little 
later it was designated "The Washington Street Presby- 
terian Church." 

After the Church had grown strong and began to send 
out colonies, the name was changed to the First Presby- 
terian Church, its present title. 

Following are Sessional minutes of above ordinary in- 
terest : 

"The Session met, members present Whiteford Smith, 
John Adams, T. C. Gower and L. B. Cline. Moderated by 
Whiteford Smith. The Session proceeded to elect a board 
of trustees of the school under the care of this Church, 
which resulted in the election of the following named gentle- 

men : ' ' 

"Trustees to serve one year." 

"Whiteford Smith, W. K. Easley and John F. Kern." 

"For two years." 

"T. Edwin Ware, Alexander McBee and L. B. Cline." 

"For three years." 

"T. C. Gower, Benj. Gass and W. P. Price." 

"October 21st, 1859 L. B. Cline, C. S." 

Few members now connected with the Church have ever 
heard of the "Gaillard School," but it came, it functioned 
successfully at a time when school facilities were sorely 
needed, but went into desuetude during the travail of the 
war between the States. 

Our Church owned this property which was located 
where the African Methodist Church and parsonage now 
stand and they used for their play-grounds, the land now 
occupied by the Greenville Mantel Co., the Citizens Lumber 
Co. and a portion of the property now occupied by American 
Cotton Oil Co. 

On November 17th, 1860 a call was extended by the 
congregation to the Rev. J. S. Wilbanks. A little more than 
a year later, December 8th, 1861, there is a Sessional record 
■of the fact that Mr. Wilbanks had declined the call and that 
at a congregational meeting, Dr. E. T. Buist had been un- 
animously elected. 


Mr. Wilbankg, however, did fill the pulpit of the Church 
for a while and was also head of the Gaillard School until its 
activities ceased. 

Shortly after the war between the States, Captain J. B. 
Patrick occupied the Gaillard School building and conducted, 
for several years a prepatory school, with quite a large at- 
tendance of both the local young men and a few from 
other parts of the State. The property was sold when the 
new Church was built and the proceeds of the sale added to 
the other funds raised by the congregation, for its erection. 

"November 26th, 1861 Session met at house of V. McBee : 
Members present Whiteford Smith, John Adams, Rev. E. T. 
Buist, D. D., and Rev. S. S. Gaillard, when Vardry McBee 
was received into the fellowship of this Church upon ex- 
amination and was baptized by Rev. E. T. Buist, D. D." 

J. A. Kirkpatrick, C. S. 

At the head of "The Avenue" for there was no thorough- 
fare by the nanu of McBee Avenue then, where the high 
school now stands, was the home of Vardry McBee. The 
entire street took its name from the eastern end ; which was 
the avenue of approach to the old Gov. Alston dwelling, at 
the time of this incident long owned and occupied by the 
McBee 's. Broad acres of farm land stretched back and on 
either side from this home, with a wealth of w^oodland and 
meadow^s also. Down the avenue a little way, the Baptist 
Church, even then an imposing building, stood, and a little 
way above on Richardson Street, the modest Presbyterian 
Church occupied a site, both in plain view of the McBee 

A glimpse of West McBee Avenue now, gives no concep- 
tion of what "The Avenue" was, in the '40, 50 and 
'60 decades. 

Wonderful trees lined the broad driveway to the home 
on the crest of the hill, and a beautiful spring in a park like 
setting Avas on the right, near the foot of the hill as you 
ascended to the house, the ground covered with a beautiful 
green sward. 

Almost directly opposite, was another spring, but not 


developed and its impeded waters had nourished a swamp- 
like luxuriance of vegetative growth that was attractive in 
its bright verdure. 

Then too, the setting of the Church and the building 
also, were so different from the present. On the North 
side, the Howells lived," Beaury and Matt", the boys at- 
tended the Sunday School. The Harrisons lived adjoining 
on the South, facing the end of Washington Street while 
next to them lived the McPhersons. Mr. McPherson 
united with the Church just in time to become a charter 
member and was the Church's first deacon. 

Mr. and Mrs. McPherson manifested true Scotch thrift 
in their modest accumulations through small operations. 
Mr. McPherson established and operated Greenville's first 
bcikery and confectionery. The demand for baker's or con- 
fectioner's product at that stage of Greenville's life was very 
small indeed, but the McPhersons acquired ownership of 
both their home and place of business during their lives. 

The heir of the McPhersons, James McPherson, Jr.. 
married Janet, the daughter of John Adams, joining in this 
union two names that had meant much tO' the best welfare 
of the Church. 

The period of the great war between the States had ar- 
rived, and this part of the Church's history will be a new 


Second Pastor of Church 


War Times 

THE time of privations and heartaches was now prevail- 
ing, the able bodied men were gone and anxiety for 
their welfare existed in most homes. 

Mr. Gaillard had gone tO' the front with the army as a 
chaplain. Mr. Gower and Mr. Cline were in the service. 
Dr. E. T. Biiist an elderly man even then, was called to the 
pastorate December 8th, 1861. The war had necessitated 
the closing of the female college at Laurens C. H, over 
which Dr. Buist had presided and a consequence was the 
coming into the Church by letter of Mrs. Buist, the Miss 
Buist and Miss Corrie Gower, the young ladies being stu- 
dents of the institution. 

Both the statistical and the financial reports of the 
Church to the April 1862 meeting of the Presbytery are 
interesting and are given here. 

"Semi-annual report to the S. C. Presbytery April 1862: 
67 members former report. 
3 added on examination. 
7 added on certificate. 
77 total white com. 
2 Colored communicants. 
79 total communicants. 

1 infant baptized. 
50 pupils in S. S. 


$200.00 Pastors salary (promised.) 
12.00 Presbyterial. 
27.90 Congregational. 
165.84 Paid on Pastors salary. 
7.35 Domestic Missions. 

.00 Colportage. 
7.30 Foreign Missions. 

J. A. Kirkpatrick, Clerk." 


In comparing the old with the new, lets not think too 
well of ourselves for the seemingly great gains. In all 
probability, measured by opportunity and ability, we are 
doing no better, if as well proportionately, as then. Rather, 
it would be well to strive that the future might measure 
nearer to our possibilities than any accomplishments of the 
present or past ever have. 

January 12th, 1862 A. A. Foster was ordained to the 
office of Deacon to which he had been previously elected. 

Lewis Worthington and James D. Anderson were elected 
to the office of Ruling Elder on April 27th, 1862. On May 
4th, Dr. Buist was installed as pastor, Rev. S. S. Gaillard 
and Dr. McNeal Turner having charge of the installation. 

"Arthur Gaillard, infant son of T. C. and J. J. Gower 
was baptized by Rev. S. S. Gaillard at the House of the 
the parents. 
August 6th, 1862 L. B. Cline, C. S." 

The only reason fo-r quoting this entry is because of the 
fact that no other male member of the Church has been 
continuously bound to this Church by any tie, for so long a 
time, as the period from the incident recorded to the 
present time would indicate. 

It seems to be accepted as a truism that in times of 
stress and hardship, the Christian Church always broadens 
in its usefulness and liberality. Evidencing the truth of 
this we quote from the semi-annual reports to Presbytery of 
October 1862 : 

"$200.00 Pastor's salary promised. 
200.00 Pastor's salary paid. 
73.80 Congregational. 
16.00 Honea Path Church. 
75.35 Tracts for soldiers. 
179.00 Ladies Aid Association. 
212.25 Thank offering September 18." 

Great as the gain had been in these six months, they 
measure far short of the point reached in the next succeeding 
half year period : 



Foreign Missions $ 45.50 

Domestic Missions 81.80 

Army colportage 5.00 

Soldiers relief 1126.00 

Barnwell offering 

Congregational 50.00 

Pastor's salary promised 200.00 

Pastor's salary paid 300.00 

Presbyterial 12.00 

With a memory reaching back almost to this time and 
recollecting the poverty generally prevailing; many things 
deemed essential, ordinarily, in both food and apparel, un- 
obtainable or prohibitive in price, almost every able bodied 
man in the army, it seems a miracle that this little band of 
Christians, could have in a six months period, given a sum 
that averaged $20.00 per member. 

Our present gifts multiplied by ten would not let us 
measure up in sacrificial giving to what these did, though 
our duty and responsibility is certainly as great. 

Many families at that time, lived far from the Church, 
no way of travel except private conveyance or horseback, 
the one who had handled the transportion, in the army and 
often the motive pov/er was with him. Naturally the Sunday 
school dwindled to very small proportions but a faithful few 
were nearly always there. 

On November 10th, 1863 Ruling Elder Whiteford Smith, 
Sr. died, the first death of an officer of the Church. 

The first record of the loss of members by death was in 
the statistical report for April 1864 in which six were re- 

Thomas H. Stall had united wich the Church July 10th, 
1859, on July 30th, 1865, he was elected Deacon and on July 
10th, 1882 he was chosen a Ruling Elder. 

Mr. Stall's membership was not continuous, for on May 
12th, 1867 he and Mrs. Stall were granted letters to Fair- 
view Church, while on January 28th, 1878 he was received 


by letter from Cartersville, Ga. Church, making a period 
of nearly eleven year's absence. 

On the day of Mr. Stall's reunion with this Church, the 
Session elected him Superintendent of the Sunday School 
and at the same time chose M. F. Ansel, Asst. Superintend- 
ent. Mr. Stall served the S. S. with wonderful faithfulness, 
as its Superintendent, for about eighteen years. 

It would be unfair to the memory of this good man to 
make no further mention of him in a story of the church, 
but it is hard for a novice in writing to express in words that 
will convey, the estimation of Mr. Stall in the minds of those 
who knew him best. His life was full of high spiritual en- 
deavors and was a power for good wherever he was placed. 

"Emma Melissa, Harriet Susan, Edward Young, Eliza- 
beth and John Peter, infant children of Dr. J. P. and Mrs. 
Harriet Hillhouse were baptized by the pastor. Rev. E. T. 
Buist, D. D." Thus states a record of October 1865, and the 
fact that two of these children have probably had faithful 
and unbroken connection with the Church since that date 
and are the daughters of the second Ruling Elder, ordained 
April 9th, 1848 and serving until his death September 18th, 
1879, makes the item of unusual interest. 

The period of Lee's surrender has now passed. Lieut, 
and Prevost Marshall, H. A. Hawkes was stationed in Green- 
ville, the Union was in charge, the Confederacy had fallen. 

Maybe it is well to begin a new chapter as the time of 
reconstruction is setting in. 



Reconstruction Period 
1866 to 1876 

A deeply chastened congregation now occupied the pews. 
The things they had striven so strenuously for, sacri- 
ficed to the uttermost and given their hearts blood, were 
now the "Lost Cause", The government to which they had 
given allegiance was no more, its bonds and its money were 
worthless, while the immense material wealth of the people 
in Negro, slaves had been wiped away over night. Never did 
a prostrate people make a worthier effort to rise again, nor 
probably was there ever a time when the Churches of Green- 
ville meant so much to its members, as then, or a period 
when sacrificial service and giving was proportionately 
as great. 

It is one of the sad facts of the time that even the "daily 
bread" of some of the "disciples" was supplied by the 
Prevost Marshall mentioned in the previous Chapter, or 
some other department of the Union forces stationed in 

A period is now reached in this chronicle where personal 
memory of the events begins to function with the writer. A 
mental picture of those Sabbath mornings arises as these 
words are penned. 

The bustle of preparation in the home for Church going, 
the admonitions to the children to keep clean, the loading 
of the family in the carriage, journeying to the Church and 
the passing as we go of the cows and the pigs and the 
people. Not only do we know all of the people but their live 
stock and other possessions, that are usually before our 
vision, are familiar to us. Then the arrival. What expect- 
ancy, though greatly repressed, for no unseemly hilarity or 
display of emotion was allowed on the Lord's day. 

To see them come or greet those already arrived, was 


a weekly joy and how pleasant it was to chat under the 
shade of the big oak trees in the intermission between Sab- 
bath School and Church services. 

'Tis a pity that a word picture is so inadequate to portray 
the people and the times of those days, a mention by names 
may be worth while and might bring cherished memories to 
some who read. 

Almost always these were there : 

The venerable pastor Dr. Buist, large and impressive 
looking, loved by all but a little feared by some. Mr. and 
Mrs. Cline, Miss Bettie the sister and Miss Alice the daugh- 
ter, as regular in attendance as the pastor. John C. Bailey, 
mother and sisters. Mrs. Jane McKay and daughters, Misses 
Mary, Jennie, Emma, Lizzie and Robbie. John Adams, Mrs. 
Adams, their sons Alex and Robert and daughters Miss 
Mary Ann and Janet and others. Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Mc- 
Pherson. Miss Mottie and Eliza Ward, many of us re- 
collect these good women as those who first taught us in 
the day School. The Misses Laval, one of them our organist, 
playing a little organ that two able bodied men could pick 
up and carry, the organ placed in the gallery which was 
located just above the Church entrance, facing the pulpit. 
Miss Helen Parker, singing in the choir, ami at the services 
as regularly as the Church doors were opened. 

Mr. Gibbons and his stepchildren, John, Will, Joe and 
Miss Lou Burty ''Beaury" and "Matt" Howell; Mrs. Mary 
Speer with her sons Beattie and David. Dr. and Mrs. J. P. 
Hillhouse with their children, Emma, Sunie, Edward, 
Tweetie and John Peter. 

T. C. Gower with children Corrie, Mamie, Arthur and 
Charlie. Mr. J. P. Miller, John B. Miller, Andrew Miller, 
Capt. 0. P. Mills and Maj. T. B. Ferguson. Miss Lula Buist 
and Hugh ; Mrs. Elizabeth Gass with her boys, Charlie and 

A little later the Hudsons came and Mr. Hamp Cely. 
The lives of these were devoted to their Church throughout 
their connection with it or for the term of their lives. 

At the beginning of the strivings to build up war's 


wastes, these constituted the bulk of the membership and 
congregation. Naturally it's impossible to remember all, 
especially when the memory being taxed for the purpose 
was just beginning to function. 

The carriages, buggies and wagons in which the people 
would come to church were driven to the rear and side 
of it, the horses or mules usually unhitched and tied at a 
hitching place until after services. 

There was a sermon every Sunday morning and after- 
noon, and, as some of the people came quite a distance, their 
lunch and feed for the stock had to be brought. 

Dr. Buist, the pastor, came before Sabbath School and 
remained at the Church until the close of the afternoon 
service. As regular as clock-work was his arrival and as 
methodical as the sun's course were the things he did. With 
a grave and solomn mein he would walk down the Church 
aisle to the little box pulpit, with a mohair covered sofa 
across the rear of the platform, ascend the steps and place 
his package of lunch under the sofa at exactly the same 
spot, each time. 

"As poor as a Church mouse" has been often quoted 
when one wished to describe extreme need, but certainly 
there was a family of these little rodents that feared sump- 
tuously each Sabbath day. Almost by the time Dr. Buist 
would come down from the pulpit and take his seat in a 
chair nearby, the mice would appear and at once get 
busy striving to effect an entrance into the lunch. 

The pulpit and the rail around the platform cut off 
a view of what was going on from most of the people, but 
Maj. Ferguson's class of small boys were situated just right 
to take it in. The moving pictures of today, even the 
wonders of the circus, could not have created a more ab- 
sorbing interest than did the activities of these mice under 
the conditions and in the place in which they were working. 

Except at a wedding the Church, small though it was, 
was seldom crowded and well it was that this was so, for 
it was the day of hoop-skirts. When woman was arrayed 
in Sunday attire, it took space to accommodate her, half 


or less than half the number now needed to fill a given 
space could then fill the bill. Strange how custom and 
habit control, now the hoop-skirt seems a monstrosity, then 
a woman seemed immodestly g'tarbed without one. 

Mr. T. C. Gower taught a class of older boys : Charlie 
Oass, Johnnie Graves, Dixie Williams and Beattie Rowland 
were among the members of it at one time or another. 
Johnnie Graves has developed into John Temple Graves, 
the gifted speaker and writer. Charlie Gass. The pity it is 
that the temptations that beset Burns and Poe ; were also 
his. Brilliant, athletic, magnetic, sympathetic, few young 
men or big boys, could appeal to the average youngster 
more greatly. Some of the others mentioned lived out their 
lives in our midst and are remembered by many. 

Mr. A. A. Foster a Ruling Elder was at the time and for 
several years Superintendent of the Sunday School, 

In 1867 the given names of two of the baptized children 
of a father and mother coming into the Church by letter 
were Harriet Lake Erie and Saluda Rosalie. 

October ]3th, 1867 Mrs. Flora A. Buist, wife of the pastor 
and mother cf Prof. Geo. A. Buist was received by letter 
into the Church. On the same day Waddy Hampton Hudson, 
son of Mrs. Rosa Hudson, now Dr. W. H. Hudson of our 
China Mission, was baptized. 

January 5th, 1868, Mrs. Jane McKay and Miss Mary 
McKay were received into the membership from the Glebe 
St. Church, Charleston. 

Februar3' 23rd, 1868, James Birnie and W. A. Hudson were 
received on profession of faith. Mr. Birnie was a faithful 
member throughout his comparatively short remaining life, 
lie was chosen an Elder in 1869, he was active at all times 
in the Sunday School work. He died November 12th, 1873. 
Mr. Hudson was the father of Waddy, Wilton and Austin 
Hudson, served as a Deacon for nearly twenty-five years 
until he left this Church to become an Elder in the newly 
organized Church now known as the Third Presbyterian. 

The reports to Presbytery each half year, almost all, 
show a continuous growth of the church. An example of 


Tliird Pastor of Church 

faithful following of the customs and teachings of the 
Church was shown in the case of Mrs. Jane Cauble who 
united on profession of faith October 11th, 1868 and the 
following December 6th, brought all of her children, two 
daughters and three sons for baptism. 

James Birnie presided and A. A. Foster was secretary 
of a congregational meeting, held for the purpose of in- 
creasing the pastor's salary from $400.00 to $600.00 per year 
and the rearranging cf the price of the pews that the rentals 
thereof might realize the larger amount. This was March 
7th, 1869. 

In percentage the proposed increase was considerable but 
the total of the increased salary was pitiful when it is under- 
stood that the pastor supplied his own home and had a con- 
siderable family to support. 

Greenville was a vastly different place in 1869 to what 
it is now. Then Washington Street ended at Richardson 
on the West and Heldman on the East. In the middle of the 
street, near Richardson, was a little brick building for the 
housing of a hand power fire engine. The water supply for 
fire protectio-n was held in cisterns filled with rain water 
directed from the roofs of nearby buildings. 

Where the Y. W. C. A. building now stands was part of 
the premises occupying the entire block, of a dwelling on 
the corner of Coffee and Laurens Streets. The stables, out- 
buildings and garden all, near Washington Street, while a 
chincapin thicket had grown up in the corner of Richardson 
and Washington Streets. The block bounded by Richard- 
son. Washington, Laurens Streets and McBee Avenue, was 
occupied by two residences facing "The Avenue" as it was 
then called, Mr. Andy McDavid's and Mr. Tliruston's; their 
gardens extending back to Washington St. 

The river had to be forded as there were nothing but 
two foot bridges spanning it and quite frequently the 
river would get too high for vehicular crossing, for short 
periods of time. 

This was a time when the elderly matron would nearly 
always, in summer time, carry a turkey tail fan to church 


and there was something; soothing in the dignified and 
rythmic movements of these, all over the Church, as the 
ladies used them, that induced a tendency to sleepiness 
among many of the older men of the Church. A brave 
fight would be made against this drowsiness, cloves, stick 
cinnamon, peppermint drops or even the point of a pin in 
self-inflicted punishment would be used, but the surest 
remedy would come with the wife's discovery of the im- 
pending lapse and her vigorous use of the "turkey tail," 
to cool the sultry atmosphere about the "pater families." 

The reports to Presbytery from the Session for 1867, '68, 
'69, '70 and '71 indicate a larger membership of the Sunday 
School than of the Church. This condition is so unusual 
that it is worthy of mention. 

At a congregational meeting held Juiy 16th, 1870, on 
motion of T. C. Gower, the annual rents of the Gaillard 
School were given to Dr. Buist in addition to the $600.00 
salary promised. 

Dr. Buist was not only eminent in learning and in ability 
as a preacher, but he was wonderfully punctilious in busi- 
ness affairs, there were never any loose ends in his transac- 
tions and his antipathy to debt was such that it is said 
there was no financial encumbrance whatever, when he 
died, even the servants having been paid before his demise. 

Of course during this period, as always, the young men 
and the maids were attracted to each other, love was en- 
gendered and marriage resulted. Dr. R. D. Long 
and Miss Parker; Maj. T. B. Ferguson and Miss Alice 
Cline, Capt. 0. P. Mills and Miss Corrie Gower, a little 
later, Mr. W. J. Crosswell and Miss Mamie Gower, James 
McPherson and Miss Janet Adams, Mr. S. C. Clyde and 
Miss Lula Buist. Maj. Ferguson, Capt. Mills, Mr. Crosswell, 
the McKays, the Hudsons, Mrs. Gibbs, Col. A. Fuller (after- 
wards an Elder) the Blackwoods, the Clarys, the Fosters, 
Capt. W. C. Hillhouse and family, R. A. Means, Dr. J. F. 
Dorroh and family (Dr. Dorroh, long an Elder), Mr. and 
Mrs. Robt. H. Williams and scores of others, most o-f them 


keeping in vital touch with the life of the Church and faith- 
ful in their duties to it, were becoming its members. 

Mr. and Mrs. G. D. Barr; Maj. and Mrs. T. H. McCann, 
(Mrs. Barr's father and mother), Col. and Mrs. T. L. Wood- 
side, uncle of John T. and Robert I. Woodside, T. Walter 
Barr, Miss Bessie Barr, C. L. McCoUoch, Miss Sunie Hill- 
house, Waddy H. Hudson, Georgie T. Barr, Charles E. 
Gower and Mrs. J. C. Speights, were some of the members 
coming into the Church prior to 1877. Maj. McCann and 
Mr. Barr both became Elders and served throughout the 
remainder of their lives. 

Mr. and Mrs. Barr were very faithful to their Church 
and their large family seemed, every one, to inherit this 
most admirable trait and now even their "childrens' child- 
ren" are taking a large part in its activities. 

On November 10th, 1877, Dr. Buist died. Sixteen years 
of faithful service with this people had been his lot. There 
are people yet living in Greenville whose lives feel the 
impress of his wise teachings and giood example. At least 
one can testify, that conversations with him, as he gave of 
his wide knowledge and experience, established a love for 
more worth while reading than had previously appealed. 

We have now reached the time of Hampton's election; 
now things are beginning to be stabilized. The "Reconstruc- 
tions Period" has about passed. A new chapter should be 



Growth and Expansion — 1878 

THE Atlanta and Charlotte Air Line Railway had been 
built through Greenville (now the Southern Railway), 
Washington street was now opened from Richardson to the 
new railway station and a horse car line was operated from 
the air line to the C. & G. stations over Washington, Main 
and Augusta Streets. 

The "Gower Bridge" for both vehicles and pedestrains, 
had been built over the river, at the foot of Main St. 

A connecting line from the Columbia and Greenville R. 
R. to the "Air Line" was constructed and the first local 
cotton mill had not long been in operation. We are not 
sure about this but we think this mill has been called 
"Camperdown" from the beginning until now, throug'liout 
several changes of ownership. 

The coming of the new railroad had given Greenville 
quite a boom. Its proportionate growth was probably 
greater during this decade that at any other time in its 
history and the churches of the city maintained fully as 
favorable an expansion. 

On Dec. 23rd, 1877, a congregational meeting convened 
for the purpose of selecting a pastor, on motion of Maj. 
T. B. Ferguson, a call was extended to Rev. Robert H. Nail, 
at a salary of $1200.00, payable monthly in advance. An 
increase of 100^ in amount and monthly in advance in- 
stead of semi-annual payments, as previously prevailed, re- 
cords quite an advance. Pew rents were advanced 50^ 
At this same meeting. 

January 20th, 1878, Mr. Nail, having accepted the call, 
preached his first sermon and began his ministerial labors 
among-! us. 

January 14th, 1876, Mr. Martin F. Ansel moved tO' Green- 
ville, "hung out his shingle" the next day as a practitioner 


WAsnixGTox strp:et Presbyterian church 

As it r.])iitr:i"ed at cUisc of Dr. Nail's pastorate 

of law and the following sabbath attended the Presbyterian 

Though Mr. Ansel did not change his allegiance from 
the Lutheran Church (of which he was a member) to the 
Presbyterian, until February 3rd, 1892, he was faithful in 
all work and worship, in every department of the church's 
activities, from the day of his first attendance. Except for 
the two terms as Governor of South Carolina, he has been 
as continuously in his place as was reasonably possible. 

Mr. Ansel was chosen an Elder February 5th, 1893 and 
still serves. 

September 19th, 1876, John A. Russell came to Green- 
ville and he too came to the church the first Sunday after 

The Church life of Mr. Russell and Mr. Ansel have been 
peculiarly parallel. Coming near the same time, both have 
always given their efficient best to the Church they deeply 
love. Mr. Russell became an Elder Oct. 6th, 1889 and is 
now chairman of the session. 

Both Governor Ansel and Mr. Russell were always 
deeply interested in the Sunday School and among its faith- 
ful workers. 

January 28th, 1878, Mr. Thos. Stall came into the Church 
again from the Cartersville, Ga. Church and he was at once 
elected Superintendent of the Sunday School and Mr. Ansel 
Assistant Superintendent. At this meeting of the session 
the petition was signed for the formation of Enoree Presby- 

James F. Mackey united with the Church, by profession, 
Feb. 3rd, 1878. Mr. Mackey was always active in church 
work and with Frank Hammond, R. E. and H. W. Allen 
were the leaders in the organization of the Second Preby- 
terian Church. 

A record of interest is that of March 20th, 1878 when 
the entrance of W. H. Cely into the Church occurs. The 
time that has elapsed since the above date until the present, 
notes the longest full membership in the Church of any 
male member now living. 


All of the figures given, most of the facts and the 
names as so far used were taken or suggested by the book 
of "Records of Session" bringing us from the beginning 
of the Church to March 31st, 1878 and now, closing this part 
of the story we give the report to Presbytery for the year 
April 1877 to April 1878. 

With this report thirty years of church life has been 
finished. The struggle of beginning, the horrors of civil 
war and the travail of Reconstruction, have all been safely 

'statistical report to the; pre;sbyte;ry from april 1st, 1877 

TO APRii. 1st, 1878. 

No. of Elders 6 

No. of Deacons 6 

Rec'd on Examination 1 

Rec'd on Certificate 11 

Total Communicants 143 

Adults Baptized 1 

Infants Baptized 9 

No. baptized non Com. — 

No. Children in S. S. 152 

Sustentation $ 25.65 

Evangelistic 6.00 

Invalid fund 14.00 

Foreign Missions 6.35 

Education 118.25 

Publication 15.60 

Pastor's Salary (paid) 900.00 

Congregational 290.88 

Miscellaneous 65.50 

Total $1467.23 


Period of More Rapid Growth 

EARLY after the begdnning of Dr. Nail's ministry, it be- 
came manifest that the congregation was outgTOwing 
the capacity of the original Church building. 

Of course there was almost at once apparent as many 
ideas as to what was best to be done as there were mem- 
bers, but much prayer, discussion, work and some prelim- 
inary giving began to crystallize into definite plans. 

It ig entirely probable that on this seventy-fifth an- 
niversary of the Church, there are several of its members 
who are each possesors of greater wealth than the total 
membership then held combined. Of course the dollar pur- 
chased more then than now and too it was wonderful how 
far our forbears of this Church could make a dollar go in 
its buying power. 

The conservative, pessimistic and ultra cautious fought 
hard for slower going in the matter of plans tO' be adopted, 
but the optimistic and wide visioned of the membership 
prevailed, though the adoption of their ideas created a 
debt that hung for a long time over the Church. 

Greenville's population at the time of the organization 
of the Church was less than 1500 people, settled over an 
area not much less than the present limits of the city. When 
the building of the new church was undertaken the number 
of inhabitants had probably increased to nearly five thou- 
sand and no one then living;, though they expected growth 
and development, could possibly vision what has resulted. 
The entire congregation became enthused but maybe it will 
not be amiss to specially mention the zeal and tireless en- 
ergy of L. B. Cline and T. C. Gower. No sacrifice was 
too great nor any labor too arduous for their undertaking. 

July 9th, 1882 was the date of last service held in the 
old church the congregation then using the opera house 


until Dec. 2nd, 1883, it occupied the lecture room' of the 
new Church. It was not until the last sabbath in August 
1890 that the building debt was fully paid and the new 
Church dedicated. 

The opera house referred to was not the one just now 
discontinued but wasj above the Gdlreath and ^Bur- 
bage stores, then located on the north side of the block, 
between Main and Laurens Streets where Buncombe and 
Coffee unite. 

It seems that regular weekly collections had not been 
taken in the Sunday School until May 13th, 1878, when this 
was ordered to be done, by the session. 

Coin in the denomination of one cent was not current 
in Greenville until 1888. To bring the ability to make even 
the smallest contribution to the children and tO' enable its 
apportionment to the Assembly's causes, change tickets of 
one, two and three cents each, were issued by the Sunday 
School Treasurer, to be given in exchange for their nickels 
and dimes. 

On June 16th, 1878, the session appointed a committee 
consisting of T. C. Gower, J. F. Dorroh and L. B. Cline to 
cooperate with the colored people in their efforts to organize 
a Presbyterian Church. These efforts resulted in the forma- 
tion of a church in connection with the northern Assembly 
and known now as the Mattoon Presbyterian Church. 

Probably the last instance of the accession of negro 
members was in the reception of Benjamin Hughes, his wife 
Mariah and Sinia Clinkscales, by letter from Long Cane 
Presbyterian Church, Abbeville, County, August 12th, 1878. 

September 1st, 1878 these three were granted their let- 
ters to the just organized colored Presbyterian Church. 

On the 2nd of January 1879, Rev. S. S. Gaillard died, 
near Griffin, Ga. and on the 19th of same month the session 
honored his memory and manifested their affection for him 
in suitable resolutions and the inscription of a page in the 
minute book to his memory. 

William Lee, afterward a member and clerk of the 


Fourth Pastor of Churcli 

session, united with his church on January 3rd, 1879, com- 
ing from the Honea Path Church. On March 30th, 1879, 
Georg-e E. Taylor and his wife Emma H. came by letter from 
Olebe Street Church, Charleston. This will be of interest 
to some of the older members in that they remember the 
firm of Sloan, Lee and Taylor, which was engaged in the 
Grocery business, on Main St., next to where Sloan Bros, 
still occup3', under the then Academy of Music. 

We have now come in the study of the Sessions Records 
tO' the date of the death of Dr. J. P. Hillhouse. For the 
sixth time, suitable resolutions and an inscribed page in the 
minute books, has marked the passing of the Church's 
servants, Whiteford Smith, Lewis Worthington, Jas. Birnie, 
Dr. E. T. Buist, Rev.. S. S. Gaillard and Dr. J. P. Hillhouse 
were these — and of course none of them had served so long 
as Dr. Hillhouse, a little more than thirty-one years of very 
faithful performance of duty. 

On January 11th, 1880 it is noted that Miss Eugenia 
Hewell had been elected organist to succeed Mrs. L. A. 


This seems to have been the official beginning of what 
has resulted in many years of faithful service on the part of 
Miss Eugenia. 

March 7th, 1881 Joshua W. Nichols and Avife were 
received into the membership of the Church. Mr. Nichols 
was the contractor who erected the new Church building, 
the same we now worship in, only enlarged some in its pre- 
sent conditions. 

May 4th, 1882, the following persons were received into 
membership of the Church through confession of faith in 
Jesus Christ, to wit: John W. Hewell, Thomas D. Jackson, 
Edward Somers Buist, Louis L. Barr, Edward H. Heine, Miss 
Janie M. Miller, Miss Annie L. Miller, Miss Annie N. Barr, 
Miss Fannie Ferguson, Miss Sallie J. Woodside and Miss 
Lela A. Woodside. 

So many of these names have been and some are still, 
so intimately identified with the Church, that surely it is 


of interest to know when they became its full members. Al- 
most, if not all of these, were children of the Sunday School. 

The Synon.ym for Barr in relation tO' this Church has 
been faithfulness. 

Mr. G. D. Barr, the patriarch of the flock, Walter, 
George, Louis, the sons, were all honored by the Church in 
selection to office and in turn were an honor to the Church 
in the fullness of their service. Then too, the daughters 
were no whit behind the sons, Misses Bessie, Annie and 
"Daylight" were and the first two still are, faithful and 
loyal to their Lord in their service. 

Miss Bessie is now Mrs. Lipscomb, the mother of some 
of the present worthy members of the Church while Miss 
Annie, as the wife of Dr. J. R. Wilkinson, has long labored 
with her husband in Suchow China, in missionary effort. 
Nothing could be more interesting than the story of Dr. 
and Mrs. Wilkinson's experiences and get through these a 
glimpse both of its hardships and the joy and glory of its 

The pastorate of Dr. Nail is drawing to a close at this 
period in the study of the Sessional records. His piety, ad- 
ministrative ability, strong and appealing preaching and 
kindly, sympathetic pastoral relations, had greatly endeared 
him to the people. 

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hammond, John A. Russell, Dr. and 
Mrs. C. A. Simpson, W. Austin Hudson, T. W. Davis, Wilton 
T. Hudson, Miss Lilly McKay, Miss Mary Miller, Miss Lola 
Gower, Miss Augusta ("Daylight") Barr, Capt. Jack Boyd 
and many others, became members of the church during 
these days. 

Mi*. B. Wehrle was elected organist Sept. 16th, 1884, suc- 
ceeding Mrs. J. E. Wilkes. 

Mr. Wehrle was the founder of the business now operat- 
ed as Hale's Gift Shop. An efficient and informed worker 
on time pieces, his mantle fell on Mr. W. R. Hale who long 
was with him. 

After several years of service as organist, Mr. Wehrle, 


who Avas in the habit of going to the Southern Railway- 
station, at noon each day, to get the accurate time as it 
was flashed from Washington, there was then no other way 
of getting this information, while stepping from one track 
on which a train was coming he stepped in front of another 
that was coming toward him and was killed. 

Nov. 8th, 1885 notes the request of Dr. Nail that the 
congregation unite with him in a request to Presbytery for 
a dissolution of pastoral relations. 

At a congreg-ational meeting held March 14th, 1886 
Rev. John M. Rose, Jr., was unanimously elected pastor to 
succeed Mr. Nail, the salary of the pastor was increased 
from twelve to fifteen hundred dollars. 

May 30th, 1886, Dr. Jas. R. Wilkinson and June 8th 
same year Thos. C. Stuart, Mrs. Ella Stuart, Miss Ella 
Stuart and Miss Margaret Stuart united with the Church 
by certificate. Dr. Wilkinson and Mr. Stuart both become 
Deacons -and later Mr. Stuart w^as elected an Elder. The 
zeal and faithfulness of both of these in the Master's service 
was always present. Few people manifested in the very ex- 
pression of their countenance and their every contact in life, 
the Christ-likeness, that did Thomas C. Stuart. His ac- 
quaintance and friendship was a benediction and his heart 
big enough to take in the whole wide world. 

From 1880 on, one cannot but fail to be impressed with 
the ingathering of the grandchildren of the earlier members 
of the Church. The beacon lights which long ago may have 
blazed so brightly, now to have grown dim with age or 
gone out in death are re-consecrated in these young people 
who are sO' filially and zealously taking their forefathers 
place in Church and general Christian effort. 

Along about this time was a period when several of the 
Church's young sons felt the call to the ministry and Waddy 
H. Hudson, John C. Bailey, George M. Howerton and Virgil 
R. Gaston, at various dates responded. 

July 1st, 1887 George T. Bryan, on profession of faith, 
united with the Church. Mr. Bryan was later elected and 


served long as a Deacon and is now a member of the Session, 

The story of the Church's life is coming within the mem- 
ory of many now, its members and the details of its activities 
are becoming so voluminous that the record must be a rapid 
skimming of the events. 

Dr. Rose had inherited from Dr. Nail, in his succeeding 
pastorate, a largely increased congregation and an adequate 
Church building, but still lacking the finish on parts of its 
interior that would enable its full occupancy. There had 
also fallen to his lot the problem of meeting the debt still 
being carried, to cover the cost of the new Church building. 
The need had now come for organization that had not existed 
to the same extent before and with the need had come the 
man. Dr. Rose organized the Leighton Wilson Foreign Mis- 
sionary Society of which Miss Mary McKay, now Mrs. Shep- 
pard, of Conshohocken, Pa., was the first President, the 
Painter Penny Society for children and then the young 
People's Working Society. 

To the Young People's Working Society probably is due 
more than any other one cause, the present existence of the 
Third Presbyterian Church, as the first building it occupied 
and the nucleus of its early congregation, were the fruits 
of its efforts. 

On the last Sabbath in August 1890, the debt had been 
entirely cleared from the new building and it was dedicated 
to the worship and service of God. Dr. Nail, under whose 
ministry the Church had been erected and Dr. Rose, who had 
seen all the financial obligation of this building met, offi- 
ciated at the dedication. It is interesting to note as an 
incident leading up to the dedication, that on August 5, 
1890, Mr. M. F. Ansel, Treasurer, of the building fund, had 
been asked by the Session to make a report to them. Surely 
it was a joy to get the good news of all obligation met which 
Mr, Ansel brought. 

Thirty- six 

Beginning" of Colinization 

FOLLOWING the acceptance by Dr. Rose of a call to be- 
come an Evangelist of the Synod of North Carolina and 
the severance of his pastoral relations with us, a call was 
extended to and accepted by, Dr. T. M. McConnell, to take 
up the work Dr. Rose had laid down. 

The closing days of Dr. Rose's pastorate witnessed the 
summons of John Adams, first Elder of the Church to meet 
his Lord he had so long and faithfully served. Longer 
than any other officer, did Mr. Adams serve and more 
faithful no one could have been. 

Dr. McConnell was called to the pastorate Jan. 31, 1892 
and began work March 9, following, on the following day, 
March 10, Messrs. Frank Hammond and Jas. F. Mackey 
appeared before the Session praying it to grant their request 
for the immediate organization of the proposed Church in 
the "West End", which was granted. On March 16th let- 
ters were granted to the following persons to unite them- 
selves with the Second Presbyterian Church the name 
adopted by the new "West End" congregation, Mr. and 
Mrs. Frank Hammond, Capt. and Mrs. E. A. Smyth, Mrs. 
Margaret Smyth McKissick, J. Adger Smyth, Jr., Mr. and 
Mrs. R. E. Allen, Miss Lucy McDonald, Miss Jessie Garling- 
ton, J. F. Mackey, Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Martin, T. R. Jones, 
Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Means, H. W. Allen, Miss M. J. Land, 
Mrs. C. Williams, Dr. and Mrs. W. S. Pack, Mrs. Sarah Pack, 
P. Mills, Mrs. M. F. Davis, Mrs. B. F. King and Adam 

Almost at once upon organization, the Second Church 
invited Rev. N. J. Holmes to become their pastor, this call 
he accepted and on May 15th, there was a double installa- 
tion at one service, when Dr. McConnell was placed in the 
pastorate of the Washington Street Presbyterian Church 


and Mr. Holmes became the duly installed pastor of the 
Second Church. 

The following facts are culled from the narrative to 
Presbytery April 1892. The membership of the Church 
was 310, Sunday School 200, the West Street mission 133 and 
a faithful work among that most destitute and neglected of 
all sinners, the fallen women, was being undertaken. The 
influence of Mr. T. H. Stall among these degraded people, 
in his Christ-like efforts for their eternal welfare, develop- 
ed some unusual and pathetic examples of the wonderful 
moving of the Holy Spirit, through consecrated human 

On April 7th, 1892, at a congregational meeting, the fol- 
lowing men were elected Deacons: A. "W. Anderson, M. F. 
Ansel, A. G. Gower, T. C. Stuart and G. W. Taylor, also 
M. F. Ansel, W. C. Cleveland and Avery Patton were elected 

Mr. Anderson moved to Augusta to become Supt. of the 
C & W C Ry. Mr. Stuart and Mr. Taylor became Elders 
and served as such until their death while Messrs. Ansel and 
Gower are both members of the present Church Session. 

George H. Chapin and family united with the Church 
June 12th, 1892, by letter. A daughter. Miss Maud Chapin 
manifested a deep interest in Christian work, especially in 
missions, from the beginning of her connection with the 

Rev. Waddy H. Hudson, a child cf the Church, offered 
for the mission field and was assigaied to work in China. 
What more natural than Miss Maud, as Mrs. Hudson, should 
herself become an active worker in the field of work that 
had long been her deepest interest. 

June 27th, 1892, marked the passing of William Lee, 
a Ruling Elder since April 2, 1882 and the successor to Mr. 
Cline as Clerk of the Session, being the third Clerk since 
the organization of the Church. Mr. Lee was only 50 years 
old at the time of his death, but long continued ill health 
made him appear older. His gentle manner and manifest 


piety drew people to him, many warm friends mourned his 
taking away and all who knew him at all, esteemed and re- 
spected him. 

In the minutes of December 29th, 1892 appears an in- 
dorsement of the Broad Street Mission of which T. W. 
Barr was Supt. and H. T. Poe, Secretary. 

During the month of Jan. 1889, Mr. M. F. Ansel, Dr. C. A. 
Simpson and Mr. Geo. W. Taylor were elected Elders and 
following: the election of these, Messrs. H. T. Poe, James 
Finlay and T. W. Barr were chosen Deacons. Feb. 6th fol- 
lowing his election, upon the resignation of Mr. J. P. Miller, 
Mr. Taylor Avas elected Clerk of the Session and served as 
such until near his death. 

Dec. 23rd, 1893, registered the passing of Elder James K. 
Dickson, who had served faithfully as a member of the 
Session for more than 14 years dying at the ripe old age 
of 82 years. 

Thirty-three of the members of the Church, were dis- 
missed, Feb'y. 26th, 1893, at their request to organize a 
Church to occupy the old West St. Mission, and which was 
later to develop into the Third Presbyterian Church. 

Dr. John F. Dorroh was the next venerable member of 
the Session to lay down his earthly labors. 

Seventy-seven years of age, twenty years as an Elder 
of this Church, his life among us had been one of un- 
swerving allegiance to his Church. Rugged in physical as- 
pect, cultured in mind, plain speaking in his communica- 
tions, there was never a question of where he would stand 
in a matter of right or wrong and he was an invitation for 
the confidence of any weaker one who was seeking strength 
in better living. 

The first reference to the "seed sowing" that was taking 
•lace for the formation of a woman's college, a work of 
which Chicora College was the progeny, was contained in a 
report of J. A. Russell, of the joint Church Committee or- 
ganized for that purpose to the meeting of Session August 
7th, 1893. 


At a meeting held in the lecture room of our Church, 
then and there, a guarantee fund of about $1000.00 was 
subscribed for the organization of the school. Later Prof. 
J. F. McKinnon was secured to take charge, the Crosswell 
residence on West McBee Avenue rented and a corps of 
teachers secured. For a while the school struggled along in 
this location, probably its growth was more pronounced in 
its rootings in the interest and affections of the people than 
in a manifestation of visible fruitage. 

An effort was now inauguarated to acquire, by purchase, 
a permanent site for the College. A beautiful location was 
opportunely offered and a vigtorous campaign conducted to- 
enable the purchase of the McBee Hill, just over the river, 
between Main and Rhett Streets. Many participated in the 
canvas for these funds, but certainly none were quite so 
zealous or as effective as the Rev. N. J. Holmes, the then 
pastor of the Second Prebyterian Church. 

The deal for this property was consummated. Mr. Holmes 
resigned his pastorate with the Second Church to become 
an evangelist. Dr. S. R. Preston was called in his place and 
also occupied the presidency of the College, Prof. McKinnon 
having resigned to enter the ministry. 

The people of Greenville loyally backed the efforts of 
the college in its struggle for development and it had 
grown into a creditable institution when, after the necessary 
formalities, it was presented to the Presbyteries of South 
Carolina and became a full fledged Church School with Dr. 
S. C. Byrd as its president. 

Later the College was moved to Columbia though not 
without a vigorous fight for its retention in Greenville. It 
is good the hand of time will almost unfailingly smooth the 
kinks that will come into man made plans, for many who 
had labored in the rearing of this institution did not take 
kindly to its removal. 

Thomas Claghorn Gower, is the name inscribed next in 
the minute book on a page devoted to his memory, he hav- 
ing met death bathing in the French Broad river, while 



Fiftli Pastor of Church 

visiting his summer home "Chestnut Hill" near Brevard, 
N. C, October 23, 1893. Mr. Gower united with the Church 
June 7, 1851, elected Deacon Jan. 4th, 1852, became Elder 
Sept. 9th, 1855. Just a few months more would have 
rounded out 43 years of official service for Mr. Gower in the 

Synod was on the eve of convening in our Church, A. G. 
Gower, a son, was on the committee to meet the incoming 
delegates and assign them to their homes when a message 
with the tragic news reached him while he was at the 
C. & W. C. depot. 

Synod adjourned its session Wednesday afternoon, for 
the holding of Mr. Gower 's funeral services. 

May 7th, 1896, a committee of three, M. F. Ansel, J. P. 
Miller and A. G. Gower, were appointed to investigate the 
feasibility of building a manse and reported at a subsequent 
meeting. At a meeting of the Deacon's board May 27th, this 
additional committee was appointed for the same purpose; 
B. A. Morgan, Alexander Finlay, Nelson, Poe, Wm. H. Cely 
and George T. Barr. July 6th, 1896, a contract was closed 
for the building of the Manse at a price of $1800.00 exclusive 
of the plumbing. 

The first mention of the name of C. E. Graham, later a 
member and Elder of this Church, was Nov. 1, 1896, when an 
invitation was extended to him to meet with the Session 
whenever he was sojourning in Greenville. "God moves in 
a mysterious way, his wonders to perform." Certain busi- 
ness happenings and exigencies were causing Mr. Graham 
to spend more and more of his time in Greenville until 
fmally he took up his residence here. Not only did he come 
with his immediate family but his brothers, W. J. and R. L. 
Graham came, also a brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. 
Kerr Wilson. A man of great energy and large business 
ability, Mr. Graham proved a valuable addition to the 

Probably more than any other one factor, was Mr. 
Graham instrumental in widening the vision of the local 


Church. The "Great Commission" came with peculiar per- 
sonal appeal to him and his time and means were always 
invested in the service. Thougth to him, the "Ends of the 
Earth" were considered a part of the local Church's re- 
sponsibility, the thought was never at the expense of local 
needs. A few specific instances of Mr. Graham's deep inter- 
est in Christ's Kingdom it may not be amiss to mention. He 
entirely supported W. H. Sheppard, the first missionary to 
the Congo ; later, when retrenchment seemed imperative 
and the mission board had decided to withdraw from 
Africa, he supported the entire mission during the exigency. 
The building of the Ellen Levine Graham hospital in Korea, 
for medical missions and the gift of the Hurd building in 
Jacksonville, Fla., for the Ministerial Relief, endowment 
fund were some of his benefactions. 

December 27th, 1897, gives the first intimation of plans 
for the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Church, 
in a report from the committee on program. Mrs. Stone, 
Mrs. Gaillard and Mrs. Butler, twO' of the charter members 
ard the wife of the first pastor, were still living and were 
invited to be present. At a meeting of Feb. 6th, a special 
invitation to these others were authorized : Mrs. Z. L, 
Holmes, wife of the minister organizing the Church, Rev. 
and Mrs. N. J. Holmes, a son and daughter-in-law of Rev. 
Z. L. Holmes, and Mrs. E. T. Buist, the wife of Dr. Buist, 
the second pastor. 

The 50th anniversary celebration not only included the 
mother Church, but was participated in also by its off- 
spring, the Second and Third Churches. 

All of these specially invited guests to this celebration 
are now dead, no one lives now who came in at the time of 
organization, seventy-five years ago. The nearest approach 
to this is in Mrs. Alice Ferguson, who was baptized on Oct. 
14, 1849, seventy-four instead of seventy-five years ago. 

December 29th, 1898 gives a reminder of the Spanish 
war encampment, through the reception of Wade Hampton 
Rice of the Second West Virginia regiment into the Church 
upon profession of faith in Jesus Christ. 


The injection of new problems through the location of 
the encampment are manifested in the narrative to the meet- 
ing of the Spring Presbytery of 1899 in the following in 
regard to the observance of the Sabbath: "Fairly good, 
though Sunday concerts at the camps and other influences 
we fear, have caused some of our people to forget the 
sanctity of the Sabbath and Gods commands concerning 


During the Autumn, winter and spring of 1898 and 1899, 
six regiments were encamped here. A New York, a Massa- 
chusetts and a Missouri regiment were located about where 
Dunean Mill now occupies; another New York, a West 
Virginia and a New Jersey regiment were placed along the 
hill throug:h which Stone Avenue and Earle Street now run, 
while headquarters were established about where the City 
Hospital now stands and on the land surrounded by it. 

About 7000 soldiers were in the encampments, a great 
many civilians had been also attracted through their com- 
ing, together they totaled a larger number of people than 
the population of the town w^as at that time. They gathered 
quickly, with slight previous preparation for their care in 
any of life's aspects, physical, spiritual, mental or social, 
but it is to Greenville's credit that almost all went away 
with a pleasant feeling tow^ard Greenville. 

Open barrooms had recently been abolished throughout 
the State and the dispensary system established. 

Of course, there was a considerable consumption of in- 
toxicants but the new system greatly reduced the amount 
and to that extent was a distinct benefit. 

Much new money flowed into this section through the 
sojourn of the soldiers in our midst, their contact induced 
mere altertness in the home people and despite some blots 
and blemishes that it would take time to eradicate, their 
coming was a benefit. 

October 14th, 1900 witnessed the coming into this Church 
of Miss Kitty Perrin w^ho almost at once, organized a work 
among the little children along the lines of kindergarten 


methods. The work was wonderfully successful and very 
faithfully prosecuted, from that time until now. 

May 18th, 1902, Dr. T. M. McConnell gave notice to a 
called meeting of the congregation, that he would apply at 
the approaching called meeting of the Presbytery, for a dis- 
solution of his pastorate with this Church : On March 23rd, 
previous, Dr. McConnell had indicated to the Session his 
intention of soon resigning as pastor. 

Presbyterian strength in Greenville had increased great- 
ly during Dr. McConnell's sojourn here. The mother 
Church, of which he was pastor had 50% more members 
than when he came, while two vigorous and rapidly grow- 
ings congregations had gone out from it and Chicora College 
had grown until it had become one of the recognized insti- 
tutions of learning in the State. 

A call was extended June 29, 1902, to Rev. T. W. Sloan, 
then pastor of the A. R. P. Church, at Abbeville, to become 
our pastor, his acceptance was noted in meeting of Session 
July 6th, 1902 with the information that his pastorate would 
begin Sept. 1st, 1902. 

From September 1st, 1902 to October 14th 1923 is a 
period of more than 21 years, this is the time measuring 
Dr. Sloan's sojourn with us as our pastor. 

Wonderful years they have been, so full of rich spiritual 
experiences, material growth and expanding activities as 
he has shepherded this flock. 

The Fourth Pres;byterian Church was formed, and 
eighteen of our members granted letters to it Dec. 8th, 1912. 
Chicora College has been moved to Columbia and many, 
many changes have taken place. A great many have passed 
to their reward, but a larger number, have grown during 
this time, tO' maturity and are numbered now among our 
active members while maybe even more than they probably 
have come from outside sources, to cast their lot with 

We have grown strong in numbers and material posses- 
sions and let us hope, in spiritual attainment. May it be 


though but the vantage ground from which we may press 
forward to greater things, the heights from which we may 
obtain a vision of the spiritual destitution that exists and 
adequately recognize our duty in the matter. 

This story is drawing to a close. I hope that what is 
written wull be of interest and that it may reach as many 
as would care to read. 

Before closing with some statistics, I hope I will be par- 
doned for becoming personal. 

Both pleasure and sadness have been mine in this work. 
Probably as never before have I been brought to realize how 
great is the host "Over there", of those who were my 
loved ones or good friends, when they abode on earth. 

The names of so many occur in the record of the Church 
accessions, whose lives ours has touched as S. S. teacher, 
scout master or friend, and the hope would arise that maybe 
the contact had been one of the influences in their lives 
that helped them to make their great choice. 

Under the great starlit skies of Arizona and Mexico, 
with no Church or Sunday school, or preacher, I have thought 
of the old Church in loving remembrance and now, 
many years later, back at home, when older eyes render 
the stars less bright, the glory and attractiveness of w^hat 
the Church w^as and is and is to be, grows more and more 


Rev. S. S. Gaillard from July 25, 1848 to Sept. __, 1860. 

(As pastor and stated supply except for short periods 

when Rev. W. F. Pearson and Rev. J. S. Wilbanks, supplied.) 

Dr. E. T. Buist, December 1861, November 1877. 
Dr. R. H. Nail, December 1877, November 1855. 
Dr. J. M. Rose, March 1866, October 1891. 
Dr. T. M. McConnell, January 1892, May 1902. 
Dr. T. W. Sloan, September 1902, still serving. 



John Adams, Feb. 27, 1848, died May 24, 1891. 
Dr. J. P. Hillhouse, April 9, 1848, died Sept. 18, 1879. 
Whiteford Smith, Sr., June 7, 1851, died Nov. 18. 1863. 
Logan B. Cline, Sept. 9, 1855, died Feb. 15, 1889. 
Thomas C. Gower, Sept. 9, 1855, died Oct. 23, 1894. 
J. A. Kirkpatrick, June 30, 1861, moved March 3, 1867. 
Lewis Worthington, May 3, 1862, died April 18, 1869. 
James D. Anderson, May 3, 1862, moved Oct. 14, 1866. 
James Birnie, August 2, 1869, died Nov. 12, 1873. 
A. A. Foster, Aug^ust 2, 1869, moved June 3, 1877. 
Alfred Fuller, Dec. 21, 1873, moved April 8, 1878. 
John F. Dorroh, Dec. 21, 1873, died March 26, 1893. 
Thomas H. McCann, Dec. 8. 1878, died Dec. 12, 1885. 
James K. Dickson, Dec. 8, 1878, died Jan. 23, 1893. 
William Lee, April 2, 1882, died June 27, 1892. 
Thomas H. Stall, April 2, 1892, died Nov. 18, 1906. 
George D. Barr, Oct. 6, 1889, died Feb. 7, 1915. 
Jacob P. Miller, Oct. 6, 1889, died March 4, 1905. 
Hamilton W. Cely, Oct. 6, 1889, died August 1, 1919. 
John A Russell, Oct. 6, 1889, still serves. 
Martin F. Ansel, Feb. 3, 1892, still serves. 
Dr. C. A. Simpson, Feb. 5, 1893, moved April 12, 1908. 
George W. Taylor, Feb. 5, 1893, died July 6, 1920. 
Thomas L. Woodside, March 24, 1895, died Aug. 4, 1903. 
E. L. Hughes, March 24, 1895, still serves. 
John B. Miller, Jan. 2, 1898, died Feb. 1913. 
C. E. Graham, Jan. 2, 1898. died Aug. 23, 1922. 
Thomas C. Stuart, Sept. 27, 1903, died June 27, 1919. 
Frank Hammond, Oct. 8, 1905, died Jan. 27, 1914. 
Dr. J. C. Brawley, March 3, 1907, moved Sept. 12, 1915. 
J. C. Caldwell, March 3. 1907, died June 10, 1919. 
J. S. Jennings, March 3, 1907, moved. 
Herman Meador, March 3, 1907, died March 6, 1908. 
Dr. W. S. Pack, March 3, 1907, died Dec. 12, 1921. 
A. A. Pearson, March 3, 1907, still serves. 
J. H. Woodside, March 3, 1907, still serves. 


Arthur G. Gower, April 26, 1914, still serves. 

Johu T. Woodside, April 26, 1914, still serves. 

J. S. Plowden, April 26, 1914, still serves. 

A. S. Johnstone, April 26, 1914, moved March 12, 1916. 

T. W. Barr, April 26, 1914, died Jan. 10, 1915. 

H. K. Glenn, April 26, 1914, still serves. 

L. L. Barr, Sept. 22, 1918, still serves. 

George T. Bryan, Sept. 22, 1918, still serves. 

Avery Patton, Sept, 22, 1918, still serves. 

R. N. Ward, March 12, 1922, still serves. 

J. A. Singleton, March 12, 1922, still serves. 

Marion Pack, March 12, 1922, still serves. 

D. L. Norris, March 12, 1922, still serves. 

M. T. Maxwell, March 12, 1922, moved July 5, 1923. 

W. P. Anderson, Jr., March 12, 1922, still serves. 

W. H. Keith, March 12, 1922, still serves. 


Thomas C. Gower, Jan. 4, 1852, made elder. Sept, 9, 1855. 

Logan B. Cline, Jan. 4, 1852, made elder, Sept. 9, 1855. 

James McPherson, Sept. 9, 1855, died April 11, 1878. 

Joseph R. Dickson, Sept. 9, 1855, ceased to serve. 

A. A. Foster, Jan. 12, 1862, made elder, Aug. 2, 1869. 

Thosas H. Stall, Aug. 6, 1855, moved May 12, 1867. 

W. A. Hudson, Jan. 23, 1868, moved 3rd Ch. Feb. 26, 1863. 

James Birnie, Aug. 23, 1868, made elder, Aug. 2, 1869. 

John C. Bailey, May 7, 1871, moved 2nd. Ch. May 2, 1892. 

J. P. Miller, May 7, 1871, made elder Oct. 6, 1889. 

Joseph Allen, Dec. 21, 1873, moved Aug. 26, 1883. 

H. W^Cely, Dec. 21, 1873, made elder Oct. 6, 1889. 

W. C. Hillhouse, Dec. 21, 1873, moved Aug. 31, 1902. 

Dr. J. R. Wilkinson, Oct. 6, 1889, moved 3rd Ch. Feb. 
26, 1893. 

R. E. Allen, Oct. 6, 1889, moved 2nd Ch. March 17, 1892. 

Frank Hammond, Oct. 6, 1889, moved 2nd Ch. March 17, 

Avery Patton, Oct. 6, 1889, made elder, Sept. 22, 1918. 

M. F. Ansel, April 17, 1892, made elder, Feb. 5, 1893. 


G. W. Taylor, April 17, 1892, made elder, Feb. 5, 1893. 
A. W. Anderson, April 17, 1892, moved Oct. 20, 1907. 
T. C. Stuart, April 17, 1892, made elder, June 27, 1903. 

A. G. Gower, April 17, 1892, made elder, April 26, 1914. 
T. Walter Barr, Feb. 5, 1893, made elder, April 26, 1914. 
James Finlay, Feb. 5, 1893, died Jan. 18, 1899. 
Harris T. Foe, Feb. 5, 1893, still serves. 

Joseph M. Blair, March 24, 1895, moved, Nov. 23, 1896. 
John F. Mitchell, March 24, 1895, still serves. 
John T. Woodside, March 24, 1895, made elder, April 
26, 1914. 

B. A. Morgan, Jan. 2, 1898, still serves. 

L. L. Barr, Feb. 26, 1899, made elder, Sept. 22, 1918. 
W. P. Conyers, Feb. 26, 1899, still serves. 
R. L. Graham, Feb. 26, 1899, died May 16, 1915. 
Robt. K. Adams, Feb. 26, 1899, died Sept. 9, 1922. 
Thomas P. Cothran, Oct. 11, 1903, still serves. 
Geo. T. Barr, March 3, 1907, moved to Orlanda Fla. Ch. 
Crawford Clapp, March 3, 1907, moved, Sept. 17, 1911. 
R. N. Tannahill, March, 3, 1907, moved, 4th Church. 
R. I. Woodside, March 3, 1907, still serves. 
J. D. Woodside, March 3, 1907, moved, Dec. 8, 1912. 
J. H. Spencer, May 24, 1914, still serves. 
J. M. Palm, May 24, 1914, still serves. 
Marian L. Pack, May 24, 1914, made elder, March 12, 

A. J. Graham, May 24, 1914, still serves. 

Geo. T. Bryan, May 24, 1914, made elder, Sept. 22, 1918. 

W. N. Watson, May 24, 1914, still serves. 

H. M. Pickett, May 24, 1914, still serves. 

C. C. Good, May 31, 1914, still serves. 

J. A. McPherson, May 31, 1914, still serves. 
Henry T. Mills, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves. 
G. P. Campbell, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves. 
W. K, Livingston, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves. 
F. K. Spratt, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves. 
H. Calloway Mims, Feb, 2, 1919, still serves. 



At present and for twenty-one years Pastor 

Very much interesting information and incident could 
and should be given in regard to the Sunday School, but 
the time for gathering the data and adequately phrasing it 
is not possible. 

Verj' soon after the Church was organized, Mr. Gaillard, 
established a Sunday School, beginning it in the little 
basement of the original Church building. At different 
periods, Henry Smith, Lewis Worthington, Dr. John Ander- 
son, Charles Chase and A. A. Foster served as superinten- 
dents. Mr. Foster became superintendent about 1867 and 
served until 1877 when he moved to Spartanburg. 

During the Civil War, Maj. Benj. Gass, though not a 
member of the Church at the time, nor an officer of the 
Sunday School, did heroic work in striving to hold things 
together during the absence of all the able bodied younger 
men during those trying days. 

T. H. Stall succeeded Mr. Foster, serving many years 
as superintendent. 

Mr. Ansel, T. Walter Barr, L. L. Barr, H. W. Cely, John 
A. Russell, E. Y. Hillhouse, and many others, were faithful 
leaders and workers in the Sunday School. 

Probably for more years than any other, was L. B. 
Cline, connected with the Sunday School and his interest in 
and love for it was always manifest. 

The events of the past are worth little unless the knowl- 
edge that comes through their telling, enables us to vision 
more clearly, in their light, the things that are to be and 
inspire us with a greater desire to do the Masters will more 
perfectly, in the days to come. 

May the sure foundations our parents laid, have reared 
upon them by us, as we live, a superstructure so well build- 
ed, that it may grow and expand in the years to come, as 
our children take up our labors, into an edifice measuring 
near up to our ability to erect. 



The Church as it at present stands, has been enlarged 
to almost double the original size, entirely finished and 

The report to the General Assembly 1922-23 shows as 
folloM'^s: Elders 19, Deacons 18, Members 1004, Sunday 
School 685. 

Contributions : Foreign Missions $8426.00, Home Missions 
$4710.00, Christian Education $761.00, S. S. Ext. Pub. 
$359.00, Educational Institutions $9936.00, Bible Cause 
$68.00, Orphans Homes $1102.00, Current Expenses, etc. 
$6783.00, Pastor's Salary $4785.00, Miscellaneous $2861.00. 
Total $39791.00. 

The Church is contributing now, to the support of the 
following missionaries. 

Rev. and Mrs. Plumer Smith Mutoto, Africa 

Rev. and Mrs. Gaston Boyle Ytu, Brazil 

Dr. and Mrs. W. McS. Buchanan Kobe, Japan 

Dr. and Mrs. A. A. McFayden Hsuchoufu, China 

Miss Esther Matthews Mokpo, Korea 

These Missionaries went out from our Church into the 
service or were long members of this church. 

Dr. W. H. Hudson and wife China 

Dr. J. R. Wilkinson and wife China 

Rev. H. Kerr Taylor China 

Rev. Geo. W. Taylor Brazil 

Hev. J. Fairman Preston Korea 



The following letter was received by the Pastor after the 
historical sketch of Mr. Gower had gone to the press, and 
is published here for the interesting information it contains. 

Spartanburg, S. C, 

September 28, 1923. 
Rev. T. W. Sloan, D. D., 

Greenville, S. C. 

Dear Sir : 

I see in the Christian Observer that the First Church 
will, in October, celebrate its seventy-fifth anniversary. 

I suppose there are few, if any, left who know anything 
about the beginning of Presbyterianism in Greenville. I 
thought, therefore, that a few facts about it might be of in- 
terest to you. Mrs. Sarah E. Stone, the mother of Presby- 
terianism in Greenville, was raised an Episcopalian, her 
father, Judge Gantt, and his family being members of the 
Episcopal Church. Mrs. Stone married a Presbyterian, and 
she desired that her children should know and belong to 
the Presbyterian Church. When she moved to Greenville, 
it was natural, as there was no Presbyterian Church there, 
that she should attend the Episcopal Church with her rela- 
tives. Mrs. Stone was an unusually bright and intelligent 
woman, and, being a religious one, she took an active part 
in church work. When the Rev. C. C. Pinckney was rector 
of Christ Church, she was for sometime the superintendent 
of the Sunday School. Mr. Pinckney told us that she made 
a fine efficient one. As her children were growing up, 
she felt the greatest desire that they should attend their 
father's church. With this hope in view, she wrote a letter 
to Synod or Presbytery, I have forgotten w^hich court of the 
Church it was, and asked that a minister be sent for the 
summer months to Greenville, promising that he should re- 
ceive a certain sum of money. When her letter was read, 
one of the ministers said, "It is useless to send a Presby- 
terian minister to Greenville, for there are no Presbyterians 


in tlie village; it is only a woman's idea." Mr. Humphries, 
the oldest minister present, arose and answered: ''Take 
heed that you do not fight against God. Mrs. Stone has not 
asked for a dollar from the Synod, but only that a minister 
be sent to preach." His voice carried the day, and Mr, 
S. S. Gaillard was sent to Greenville. He preached in a small 
building, called "The Lyceum". He won the affection and 
respect of the entire community. Mrs. Stone was now anx- 
ious to- establish a church, but where were the Presbyterians 
to come from? There were no men to furnish a Session. I 
believe there was one man, but a church must have an Elder 
and a Deacon. At that time, there was living, some miles 
in the country, a Presbyterian family. I think the name 
was Adams. The head of the family was interested, and 
was asked if he would be willing to bring his letter to the 
Greenville church, if one was built. This he consented to 
do, and the church was established with its Session. 

Mrs. Stone and her family were indefatigable in their 
efforts to promote Presbyterianism in Greenville, and the 
four churches now in the city are the blessing of God upon 
her work, the result of one woman's persevering; efforts. 
Please remember this was at a time before women took the 
active part in church work that they do now. 

I trust I have not taken up too much of your time by this 
long letter. 

Yours sincerely, 

Mrs. H. B. Lucas. 


': ,n ■ <.' ' / r .cu^