PRESBYTERIAN COLLEGE LIBRARY
SMC 285. 175 7 G74 SBTA
A short story of Presbyterian Church lif
3 5197 00094749 2
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Greenville, South Carolina
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
As it HOW stands
^W^ 15i S(Ur^,
A SHORT STORY
PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH LIFE
ITS ORGANIZATIONS AND BEGINNINGS
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
A. G. GOWER
After it had been decided to celebrate the
seventy-fifth anniversary of the organization of
our church, the committee in charge placed upon
me the duty of writing the story of its beginning
and early life.
What you find in the succeeding pages is the
result. The Sessional Records were the basis
but these were supplemented by many reminis-
cences and memories.
No attempt was made to care for the events
of recent years, it is nearly all of the past and
little is recorded that comes within the memory
of the larger part of the present membership.
A Church Is Bom
BEFORE settling to dry facts, buttressed by dates and
records, it seems v/ell worth while to deal a little with
memories, and maybe some traditions, in regard to the past
of our Church.
Though one's own memory may not go beyond the time
of the little rectangular brick Church, facing Richardson
Street, with its heavy white columns in front and the little
belfry with its even smaller bell atop the building : many
were then living, whose knowledge of Greenville and the
church affiliations or leanings of its people, went back far
beyond the time of any local Presbyterian organization.
It is quite certain that, for many years, a nucleus for
the forming of a Church existed, possessing a desire to or-
ganize but lacking the vigor and boldness necessary for
taking the step. Life cannot be abundant without action.
Spiritually as w^ell as mentally and physically there must be
use of our faculties to grow or even hold our own.
The social instinct is strong in most people, it is especially
evident in the young and in consequence of this, as well
also as of the fact that it was good for the young to be there
to get the instruction and influence of the helpful environ-
ment, many of the children of Presbyterians attended the
Sunday schools of the Episcopal, Baptist, and Methodist
Churches. Naturally many of these united with the
churches, to which they had grown attached through attend-
ing their Sunday schools.
Mrs. Jane McBee, the wife of Vardy McBee, was a life
long Presbyterian, becoming one of the charter members of
the Presbyterian Church of Greenville C. H., as the organiza-
tiO'n was first termed. Mr. McBee a few years later also
united with this church.
It was in the late evening of their lives that the privilegie
of membership in a local church of their choice had come
to this couple, their children were all grown when it took
place. The present generation of our Church, at least all
who know it, feel gratified over the fact that one who has
meant so much in the past life of Greenville as did Mr.
McBee, was a msmber of our Church but even had he not
been a member, there would still be cause for gratitude, for
he brought John Adams and Logan B. Cline to Greenville.
In the days we have been speaking of, Christ Episcopal
Church stood, much as it appears now, only smaller, while
the Methodist Church was on the Southwest corner of
Coffee and Church Streets nearly opposite. The fact that
the majority of the town's churches were on this street
gave it its name, and the Baptist Church stood in the mid-
dle of East McBee Avenue about where Irvine Street enters
said Avenue, these three churches being the town's total sup-
It is said that in 1845 or 1846, Mrs. Sarah E. Stone, later
a charter member of the Church, induced her friend, Dr.
Benjamin M. Palmer, Sr., to spend the summer here, and
Many people now living have heard of Dr. Palmer's
great strength and ability as a preacher, as well as his at-
tractive personality as a man, so its not strangle that he
planted a desire in the hearts of the Presbyterians to or-
ganize a Church.
The first entry in the "Record of the Session of the
^resbyterian Church Greenville, S. C," is as follows :
"pRESBYTe:rIAN church at GREENVILLE C H."
Immediately' following this heading was a record of
the fact that several ladies of Greenville village had peti-
tioned the Presbytery, meeting at Newberry, C. H. in
October 1847, to send them supplies of preaching by Presby-
terian ministers. Complying, Presbytery named Rev's.
Lewers, Holmes and Gaillard to look after the matter.
The Rev. S. S. Gaillard came for the 4th Sunday in
November (and tbe day preceding), held several religious
REV. SAVAGE SMITH GAILLARD
First Pnstor of Church
meetings in the Methcdist Church, which had been kindle-
off ered for the occasion.
At the close of these services a meeting was appointed
to be held at the same place, to begin on Friday evening
before the third Sabbath in January 1848. Rev. Sam'l. B.
Lewers, Rev. Z. S. Holmes and Rev. John McLees attended.
At a meeting Saturday afternoon, it was determined un-
animously to organize a Church and the following persons
signified their intention of becoming members : T. H. Mc-
Leod, Mrs. M. A. McLeod ; Miss A. C. Millen; J. W. Mont-
gomery ; Mrs. Sarah Stone ; Mrs. Sarah Butler ; Whitef ord
Smith, Sr. ; Mrs. W. Smith ; Mrs. Mariah Harrison and Mrs.
Margaret C. Cline.
James McPherson on profession was received into fel-
David Clarey and Whiteford Smith, Sr., were elected
Ruling Elders, which office a few days later, they declined.
Their refusal to serve rendered this first attempt at organiza-
The next minutes in the ro^oi-d were headed :
This meeting was held on the 4th Sabbath in February
1848 at which the following paper was submitted :
("South Carolina, Greenville, C. H.":)
"The persons v/hose names are here subscribed, feeling
an interest in the Redeemer's Kingdom and desirous of
having the word preached within their bounds by ministers
of their own order, do hereby associate themselves in the
fo'rm of a Presbyterian Church, to be under the care of the
Presbytery of South Carolina, and agree to submit them-
selves to the government of the Presbyterian Church as it
is administered in the United States of America.
Signers. Februaiy 26th, 1848.
MEN Jas. McPherson
F. H. McLeod J. W. Montgomery
John Adams women
Whiteford Smith M. C. Cline
S. A. Shaver Margaret Smith
Sarah E. Stone Sarah L. Butler
Jane McBee Mary Ann Adams
Mariah S. Harrison Mary C. Speer
Mary A. McLeod Prances G. McLeod."
John Adams born in Scotland and at this time a mem-
ber of Fairview Church, was elected a ruling Elder, being
ordained at the close of the evening service.
Rev. Z. S. Holmes, father of N. J. Holmes, the first pas-
tor of the Second Presbyterian Church, was the member of
the committee presiding over the meeting of organization
and he urged the n-err.bers tO' secure the service of an ad-
ditional Elder at as early a date as possible.
The next minutes of the Session indicates the fulfilling
of the charge in regard to selection of additional Elders and
are quoted in full below: "April 9th, 2nd Sabbath 1848."
"According to previous notice, a sacramental meeting
was held in the Female Academy commencing on Friday
evening and closing after service on Sabbath. Ministers
present, Rev. Z. S. Holmes and Rev. S. S. Gaillard, assisted
by Rev. E. F. Hyde.
On Sabbath morning at ten o'clock, a special meeting
was called (which had been prevented on Saturday by in-
clement weather) to take the necessary steps towards the
ordination of an additional Elder. After the meeting had
been opened by prayer. Dr. J. P. Hillhouse, presented a
certificate of dismission from Mt. Zion Church, and being
received and nominated, he was unanimously elected a Rul-
ing Elder. Arrangements were then immediately made for
his ordination, to take place at the close of next sermon.
Accordingly, after a sermon preached by the Rev. S. S.
Gaillard, some remarks were made by Rev. Z. S. Holmes,
explanatory of the nature and scriptural authority of the
office of Ruling Eiders, after which he proceeded to ordain
Dr. Hillhouse as Ruling Elder of the Presbyterian Church
at Greenville C. H.
Members of Committee of Presbytery."
Z. S. Holmes,
S. S. GaHlard.
The Church's Early Life :
N the same date as the events narrated in the closing
portion of the last chapter, April 9, 1848, the Session
met, Rev. Z. S. Holmes, Moderator, when Dr. J. P. Hillhouse
was elected Clerk of the Session. Dr. Hillhouse served as
Clerk for four years, until April 24th, 1852, zealously ful-
filling the duties of the office.
Dr. Hillhouse 's service was wonderfully faithful in that
there is only one recorded instance of absence from any ses-
sional meeting and this once was on October 12th, 1851.
The first accession to the Church and the first baptism
of infants of its members are recorded in the minutes of
Sept. 24th, 1848, as follows:
"On examination, Mrs. Service and Siberia, servant and
slave of Mrs. Sarah E. Stone, were received into the com-
munion of the Church."
The sons of Mrs. Mary C. Speer, Beattie and David, as
well as the infant child of Siberia were granted the sacre-
ment of baptism.
There were no further additions to the Church until
April 15th, 1849, when Alexander Clark and wife were
received, o-n certificate from First Protestant Reformed
Dutch Church of Patterson, N. J.
Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. S. S. Gaillard and
wife, Sarah, was baptized, Dec. 5th, 1848 by Rev. Joseph
Hillhouse. Mr. Gaillard had served the Church since or-
gianization as Stated Supply. On Dec. 17th, same year,
William Alexander, son of John and Mary Adams, was
baptized. On July 7th, 1867, W. A. Adams was received
into full membership and was a faithful member through-
out the term of his life.
The next record of the Sessic-n is of peculiar interest
to the older members of the Church, so it is quoted in full :
"Session met this morning in the Lyceum Hall, members
present John Adams and J. P. Hillhouse. The request of
Margaret Cline for her child, Alice, to be baptized, was
granted. The sacrament was administered by the Rev.
S. S. Gaillard."
October 14th, 1849 J. P. Hillhouse, Clerk.
Logan B. Cline, the father, had not yet united with the
Church hence the reason of the mother alone sponsoring
the baptism of the infant child. Seventy four years will
have passed between the date of this baptism and the time
of the celebration of the Church's seventy fifth anniversary,
a life of unbroken identification with this Church.
Mrs. Alice Ferguson, then this baby, has been continuous-
ly connected Avith this Church longer than any other person,
living or dead, nor have any others inherited from their
parents a greater right to love and cherish it, than she.
Between the dates of 1849 and 1851, the Church moved
along the even tenor of its way. Services were held, largely,
in the Lyceum building, situated on what is now the campus
of the Greenville Womans College. About this period
Vardry McBee had given the Church a lot facing Richard-
son Street, Washington Street then having its western ter-
minus in Richardson, for the purpose of erecting a house of
While there is no record in the Sessional minutes of
thel fact, memory tells that the new church building was
occupied in 1851, because a marble tablet was set into the
front of the building, giving that year as the date of
June 7th, 1851, was an important date in the life of the
Church, in that it was the day of entrance into its life
of two persons who were very faithful to its interests for the
balance of their long lives.
The record says "Thomas Claghorn Gower, Jane Jones
Gower, Mary Elizabeth Williams, Henry Julius Smith and
Logan B. Cline Avere received into the communion of the
Church on examination." At a previous meeting of the
congregation, Whiteford Smith, Sr., was elected to the
FIRST CHURCH BUILDING
Called originally. "The Preshyterian Church of Greenville. C. H."
office of Ruling Elder, duly ordained and a minute of the
action made in this same record of June 7th.
On January 4th, 1852, Mr. Cline and Mr. Gower were
elected Deacons; on September 1855 they were made Elders.
Uniting with the church on the same day, they were as
twins in their church life, until death called them to their
final reward. The highest interest of the church was al-
ways their deepest concern and neither spared his time
or means for its upbuilding. Mr. Gower, throughout his
entire life <ind Mr. Cline until late in life, were
handicapped by an inability to speak or pray in public.
This was a veritable thorn in the flesh with both of them
and a handicap to fullest Christian effort that they greatly
On the date that Mr. Cline and Mr. Gower were elected
Elders, James McPherson and Jos. R. Dickson were chosen
On September 14th, 1851, Rev. S. S. Gaillard who had
so faithfully served the congregation as stated supply, was
called by the congregation as its pastor. Dr. E. T. Buist, his
successor in the pastorate acting as moderator of the meet-
ing. On September 20th 1851, Presbytery installed Mr.
Gaillard as pastor of the Church.
For a period of about eleven years Mr. Gaillard had the
oversight of the Church, tlie foundation laying period of
its existence, either as stated supply or pastor. Faithfully
he fulfilled the duties of his position and his memory is
revered by the few people who remember him personally.
The elder Mrs. Hicks, a life long Methodist, who has lived
a lifetime on Pendleton Street, not far from where the
Gaillards lived and who also, as a girl, attended the or-
ganization meeting of the Church, accompanying Mr. and
Mrs. Montgomery, two of the charter members, said: "Mr.
(Gaillard was a good preacher, a good neighbor and a fine
man." Mr. Gaillard resigned as pastor on October 23rd,
1858, but took charge again June 15th, 1859, as stated sup-
During the interval of Mr. Gaillard 's severance from the
Church, the Rev. W. F. Pearson, father of present Elder
A. A. Pearson, served the Church.
The records are strangely silent as to the time of the
dedication of the Church, but chance gave the clue. In
discussing the question with Mrs. S. C. Mills, she said:
"Mame and myself were baptized on the day the Church
was dedicated." The records show that the children of
T. C. and J. J. Gower, were baptized April 10th, 1853, the
names of the children were Susan Cordelia and Mary Eliza-
Naturally, it is impossible to mention all the items of
interest contained in the records of the Session and its
equally as hard for any one person to select always, the most
important. The compiler of this data will regret any omis-
sion that should have been included or the writing of any-
thing that might have been best left out, but much thought
and work is being given to make it as acceptable as pos-
On November 2nd, 1851, a letter of dismissal is granted
to Mrs. Sarah A. Hawkins with the following wording,
which seems to indicate a lack of knowledge of compara-
tively nearby conditions. "Mrs. Sarah A. Hawkins, was
dismissed at her own request to join herself with the people
of God, whithersoever her lot may be cast, as she is remov-
ing to the Western part of Georgia." Surely too, this in-
dicates a broadmindedness not always pertaining, in that
the letter is to any of God's people, regardless of name
The records of the Church indicate that lapses from the
upright, of a flagrant and public nature were kindly but
firmly dealt with, usually, they were loss of virtue in women
and public drunkeness in men.
The attitude towards intoxicants then, did not condemn
moderate indulgence in strong drink, possibly even con-
doned a use of it that now would be considered excessive,
but there must be no spectacle made of its effect, bringing
discredit upon the Church.
The Church records, all of them, are interesting to any-
one familiar with the Church through a long life of associa-
tion, but it is only possible to cull, here and there, a few of
the items, time and space forbid doing otherwise.
On June 8th, 1857, Mrs. Elizabeth Gass was received on
certificate from the Episcopal Church of Cleveland, Ohio.
April 4th, 1858, John, the infant son of Elizabeth Gass,
was baptized. Maj. Benjamin Gass, the husband and
father, did not unite with the Church until 1865, dying
His widow, later, married Mr. Henry C. Markley, affec-
tionately termed Greenville's "Grand Old Man" during
the later years of his life, and always a devoted member
of Christ Episcopal Church, so naturally John Gass became
an Episcopalian. He entered the ministry and developed
fine ability in his calling. Now, his son John is following
in his father's footsteps. While Maj. Benjamin Gass did
not unite with the Church until near his death, his interest
in and zeal for the welfare of the Church was always mani-
During the war between the States, when all the South
was depleted of its vigorous, young and even middle aged
manhood, Maj. Gass was a tower of strength in the Church
and Sunday School.
April 24th, 1858 marked three accessions to the Church
on examination and one by certificate. The late John C.
Bailey was one, while another was Bob, (a servant of R.
Stuart, Esq.) All of the older members remember Mr.
Bailey and his very faithful life in his Church relations,
but not so many recollect "Bob". Bob was the church's
faithful sexton for many years, remaining a member of our
Church until 1878 when he was granted a letter to what is
now the John Wesley Methodist Church. Bob was a long time,
a connecting link between the old and the new, attending
to the usual duties of a sexton before and after services,
but sitting in the gallery and participating in the worship
during the service, while at the sacrament of the Lords
Supper he was served as reverently as the most distinguish-
ed and important member. And then too, it was good to see
the way Bob magnified his office ; no- pastor or officer more
keenly felt his responsibilities or more zealously performed
July 1st, 1855 notes this record. "Miss Matilda Griffith
was received on certificate from the Mariners Church, Char-
leston, S. C."
A short entry, just another good woman coming into
the Church, but few knew how much of pathos and tragedy
was included in the life of this gentle mannered, kindly
faced, middle aged, Irish woman, earning her living in o-ur
midst by her skill with the needle.
Back in "Old Ireland," that portion of it now opposing
separation from Great Britian, many years before, a man
and a maid had lived and loved, but then, as now in affairs
political, divergencies of religdous belief, in the eyes of the
elders, was a bar to the bans.
Jo-hn Grant had wooed and won the heart of little Matilda
Griffith but fate had reared such barriers to their union
that John, hopeless, enlisted in the British army for service
in India, a little later Matilda, her parents having died,
seeks a home in America.
It is hard to conceive of anything in life where every-
thing went "dead wrong" as they did in the love affairs
of these two. Each of them sailed from "The rivers to the
ends of the earth" to- join each other only to find that fate
was still barring their union. Everything has an end though
and almost in the tAvilight of their lives, John Grant and
Matilda Griffith joined each other in Greenville. About fifty
years after "love's young dream" first brouglit them to-
gether, they were united in marriage.
Their married life was not of long duration, the husband
dying. Mrs. Grant v/as now an old woman. Active and
industrious she was, but there Avas a waning; of earning
capacity and then sickness came. Mr. A. G. Gower was
charged with the duty of visiting her and investigating
conditions. The memory of this visit will always live with
the visitor. A sturdier independence, a greater love for the
"Kirk," a more cheerful facing of hardships or mo-re confi-
dence and. faith in the future, than hers, could not be imag-
ined, nor was anyone more interesting in their reminiscences
The first mention of the Sunday School in the Sessional
records was in the statistical report to Presbj^tery, covering
the year from April 1856 to April 1857, in fact this seems
to be the first report made, when these entries occurred, "33
in Sabbath School and Bible Class." "$14.71 (given) to
S. S. Library for our school."
Six months later, the number in Sabbath School liad in-
creased to 37.
In the semi-annual report of April 1858 is the first record
of contributions from the Sunday School, totaling $10.00.
October 17th, 1858 registers the resignation of Mr. Gail-
lard from the pastorate of the Church. A congregational
meeting was held to hear a statement of Mr. Caillard's
reasons for desiring to sever relations. They were deemed
entirely sufficient, the Church united with him in the appeal
to Presbytery and adopted sympathetic and eulogistic
resolutions expressing deep regret at the severance of rela-
"The Ministerial labors of Rev. W. F. Pearson have been
engaged for two Sabbaths in the month until the next
regular meeting of Presbytery."
Above is the record noting the coming of Mr. Gaillard's
In June 19th, 1859, in a meeting of the Session, moderat-
ed by Rev. "W. F. Pearson with Elders Smith, Gower and
Cline present : it was agreed to tender the pulpit for two
Sabbaths in the month to the Rey. S. S. Gaillard and these
three were "appointed to wait upon Mr. Gaillard and confer-
with the Board of Domestic Missions on the subject."
A long time before a Presbyterian Church was organized
in Greenville, the Greenville Presbyterian Church of Abbe-
ville, then, in the same Presbytery, existed. The older
Church had pre-empted the name the later arrival would
naturally have adopted, so at first it was known as the
Piesbyterian Church of Greenville Court-House, a little
later it was designated "The Washington Street Presby-
After the Church had grown strong and began to send
out colonies, the name was changed to the First Presby-
terian Church, its present title.
Following are Sessional minutes of above ordinary in-
"The Session met, members present Whiteford Smith,
John Adams, T. C. Gower and L. B. Cline. Moderated by
Whiteford Smith. The Session proceeded to elect a board
of trustees of the school under the care of this Church,
which resulted in the election of the following named gentle-
men : ' '
"Trustees to serve one year."
"Whiteford Smith, W. K. Easley and John F. Kern."
"For two years."
"T. Edwin Ware, Alexander McBee and L. B. Cline."
"For three years."
"T. C. Gower, Benj. Gass and W. P. Price."
"October 21st, 1859 L. B. Cline, C. S."
Few members now connected with the Church have ever
heard of the "Gaillard School," but it came, it functioned
successfully at a time when school facilities were sorely
needed, but went into desuetude during the travail of the
war between the States.
Our Church owned this property which was located
where the African Methodist Church and parsonage now
stand and they used for their play-grounds, the land now
occupied by the Greenville Mantel Co., the Citizens Lumber
Co. and a portion of the property now occupied by American
Cotton Oil Co.
On November 17th, 1860 a call was extended by the
congregation to the Rev. J. S. Wilbanks. A little more than
a year later, December 8th, 1861, there is a Sessional record
■of the fact that Mr. Wilbanks had declined the call and that
at a congregational meeting, Dr. E. T. Buist had been un-
Mr. Wilbankg, however, did fill the pulpit of the Church
for a while and was also head of the Gaillard School until its
Shortly after the war between the States, Captain J. B.
Patrick occupied the Gaillard School building and conducted,
for several years a prepatory school, with quite a large at-
tendance of both the local young men and a few from
other parts of the State. The property was sold when the
new Church was built and the proceeds of the sale added to
the other funds raised by the congregation, for its erection.
"November 26th, 1861 Session met at house of V. McBee :
Members present Whiteford Smith, John Adams, Rev. E. T.
Buist, D. D., and Rev. S. S. Gaillard, when Vardry McBee
was received into the fellowship of this Church upon ex-
amination and was baptized by Rev. E. T. Buist, D. D."
J. A. Kirkpatrick, C. S.
At the head of "The Avenue" for there was no thorough-
fare by the nanu of McBee Avenue then, where the high
school now stands, was the home of Vardry McBee. The
entire street took its name from the eastern end ; which was
the avenue of approach to the old Gov. Alston dwelling, at
the time of this incident long owned and occupied by the
McBee 's. Broad acres of farm land stretched back and on
either side from this home, with a wealth of w^oodland and
meadow^s also. Down the avenue a little way, the Baptist
Church, even then an imposing building, stood, and a little
way above on Richardson Street, the modest Presbyterian
Church occupied a site, both in plain view of the McBee
A glimpse of West McBee Avenue now, gives no concep-
tion of what "The Avenue" was, in the '40, 50 and
Wonderful trees lined the broad driveway to the home
on the crest of the hill, and a beautiful spring in a park like
setting Avas on the right, near the foot of the hill as you
ascended to the house, the ground covered with a beautiful
Almost directly opposite, was another spring, but not
developed and its impeded waters had nourished a swamp-
like luxuriance of vegetative growth that was attractive in
its bright verdure.
Then too, the setting of the Church and the building
also, were so different from the present. On the North
side, the Howells lived," Beaury and Matt", the boys at-
tended the Sunday School. The Harrisons lived adjoining
on the South, facing the end of Washington Street while
next to them lived the McPhersons. Mr. McPherson
united with the Church just in time to become a charter
member and was the Church's first deacon.
Mr. and Mrs. McPherson manifested true Scotch thrift
in their modest accumulations through small operations.
Mr. McPherson established and operated Greenville's first
bcikery and confectionery. The demand for baker's or con-
fectioner's product at that stage of Greenville's life was very
small indeed, but the McPhersons acquired ownership of
both their home and place of business during their lives.
The heir of the McPhersons, James McPherson, Jr..
married Janet, the daughter of John Adams, joining in this
union two names that had meant much tO' the best welfare
of the Church.
The period of the great war between the States had ar-
rived, and this part of the Church's history will be a new
REV. EDWARD T. BLIST, D. D.
Second Pastor of Church
THE time of privations and heartaches was now prevail-
ing, the able bodied men were gone and anxiety for
their welfare existed in most homes.
Mr. Gaillard had gone tO' the front with the army as a
chaplain. Mr. Gower and Mr. Cline were in the service.
Dr. E. T. Biiist an elderly man even then, was called to the
pastorate December 8th, 1861. The war had necessitated
the closing of the female college at Laurens C. H, over
which Dr. Buist had presided and a consequence was the
coming into the Church by letter of Mrs. Buist, the Miss
Buist and Miss Corrie Gower, the young ladies being stu-
dents of the institution.
Both the statistical and the financial reports of the
Church to the April 1862 meeting of the Presbytery are
interesting and are given here.
"Semi-annual report to the S. C. Presbytery April 1862:
67 members former report.
3 added on examination.
7 added on certificate.
77 total white com.
2 Colored communicants.
79 total communicants.
1 infant baptized.
50 pupils in S. S.
$200.00 Pastors salary (promised.)
165.84 Paid on Pastors salary.
7.35 Domestic Missions.
7.30 Foreign Missions.
J. A. Kirkpatrick, Clerk."
In comparing the old with the new, lets not think too
well of ourselves for the seemingly great gains. In all
probability, measured by opportunity and ability, we are
doing no better, if as well proportionately, as then. Rather,
it would be well to strive that the future might measure
nearer to our possibilities than any accomplishments of the
present or past ever have.
January 12th, 1862 A. A. Foster was ordained to the
office of Deacon to which he had been previously elected.
Lewis Worthington and James D. Anderson were elected
to the office of Ruling Elder on April 27th, 1862. On May
4th, Dr. Buist was installed as pastor, Rev. S. S. Gaillard
and Dr. McNeal Turner having charge of the installation.
"Arthur Gaillard, infant son of T. C. and J. J. Gower
was baptized by Rev. S. S. Gaillard at the House of the
August 6th, 1862 L. B. Cline, C. S."
The only reason fo-r quoting this entry is because of the
fact that no other male member of the Church has been
continuously bound to this Church by any tie, for so long a
time, as the period from the incident recorded to the
present time would indicate.
It seems to be accepted as a truism that in times of
stress and hardship, the Christian Church always broadens
in its usefulness and liberality. Evidencing the truth of
this we quote from the semi-annual reports to Presbytery of
October 1862 :
"$200.00 Pastor's salary promised.
200.00 Pastor's salary paid.
16.00 Honea Path Church.
75.35 Tracts for soldiers.
179.00 Ladies Aid Association.
212.25 Thank offering September 18."
Great as the gain had been in these six months, they
measure far short of the point reached in the next succeeding
half year period :
SEMI-ANNUAL FiNANaAL REPORT TO PRESBYTERY APRIL 1863.
Foreign Missions $ 45.50
Domestic Missions 81.80
Army colportage 5.00
Soldiers relief 1126.00
Pastor's salary promised 200.00
Pastor's salary paid 300.00
With a memory reaching back almost to this time and
recollecting the poverty generally prevailing; many things
deemed essential, ordinarily, in both food and apparel, un-
obtainable or prohibitive in price, almost every able bodied
man in the army, it seems a miracle that this little band of
Christians, could have in a six months period, given a sum
that averaged $20.00 per member.
Our present gifts multiplied by ten would not let us
measure up in sacrificial giving to what these did, though
our duty and responsibility is certainly as great.
Many families at that time, lived far from the Church,
no way of travel except private conveyance or horseback,
the one who had handled the transportion, in the army and
often the motive pov/er was with him. Naturally the Sunday
school dwindled to very small proportions but a faithful few
were nearly always there.
On November 10th, 1863 Ruling Elder Whiteford Smith,
Sr. died, the first death of an officer of the Church.
The first record of the loss of members by death was in
the statistical report for April 1864 in which six were re-
Thomas H. Stall had united wich the Church July 10th,
1859, on July 30th, 1865, he was elected Deacon and on July
10th, 1882 he was chosen a Ruling Elder.
Mr. Stall's membership was not continuous, for on May
12th, 1867 he and Mrs. Stall were granted letters to Fair-
view Church, while on January 28th, 1878 he was received
by letter from Cartersville, Ga. Church, making a period
of nearly eleven year's absence.
On the day of Mr. Stall's reunion with this Church, the
Session elected him Superintendent of the Sunday School
and at the same time chose M. F. Ansel, Asst. Superintend-
ent. Mr. Stall served the S. S. with wonderful faithfulness,
as its Superintendent, for about eighteen years.
It would be unfair to the memory of this good man to
make no further mention of him in a story of the church,
but it is hard for a novice in writing to express in words that
will convey, the estimation of Mr. Stall in the minds of those
who knew him best. His life was full of high spiritual en-
deavors and was a power for good wherever he was placed.
"Emma Melissa, Harriet Susan, Edward Young, Eliza-
beth and John Peter, infant children of Dr. J. P. and Mrs.
Harriet Hillhouse were baptized by the pastor. Rev. E. T.
Buist, D. D." Thus states a record of October 1865, and the
fact that two of these children have probably had faithful
and unbroken connection with the Church since that date
and are the daughters of the second Ruling Elder, ordained
April 9th, 1848 and serving until his death September 18th,
1879, makes the item of unusual interest.
The period of Lee's surrender has now passed. Lieut,
and Prevost Marshall, H. A. Hawkes was stationed in Green-
ville, the Union was in charge, the Confederacy had fallen.
Maybe it is well to begin a new chapter as the time of
reconstruction is setting in.
1866 to 1876
A deeply chastened congregation now occupied the pews.
The things they had striven so strenuously for, sacri-
ficed to the uttermost and given their hearts blood, were
now the "Lost Cause", The government to which they had
given allegiance was no more, its bonds and its money were
worthless, while the immense material wealth of the people
in Negro, slaves had been wiped away over night. Never did
a prostrate people make a worthier effort to rise again, nor
probably was there ever a time when the Churches of Green-
ville meant so much to its members, as then, or a period
when sacrificial service and giving was proportionately
It is one of the sad facts of the time that even the "daily
bread" of some of the "disciples" was supplied by the
Prevost Marshall mentioned in the previous Chapter, or
some other department of the Union forces stationed in
A period is now reached in this chronicle where personal
memory of the events begins to function with the writer. A
mental picture of those Sabbath mornings arises as these
words are penned.
The bustle of preparation in the home for Church going,
the admonitions to the children to keep clean, the loading
of the family in the carriage, journeying to the Church and
the passing as we go of the cows and the pigs and the
people. Not only do we know all of the people but their live
stock and other possessions, that are usually before our
vision, are familiar to us. Then the arrival. What expect-
ancy, though greatly repressed, for no unseemly hilarity or
display of emotion was allowed on the Lord's day.
To see them come or greet those already arrived, was
a weekly joy and how pleasant it was to chat under the
shade of the big oak trees in the intermission between Sab-
bath School and Church services.
'Tis a pity that a word picture is so inadequate to portray
the people and the times of those days, a mention by names
may be worth while and might bring cherished memories to
some who read.
Almost always these were there :
The venerable pastor Dr. Buist, large and impressive
looking, loved by all but a little feared by some. Mr. and
Mrs. Cline, Miss Bettie the sister and Miss Alice the daugh-
ter, as regular in attendance as the pastor. John C. Bailey,
mother and sisters. Mrs. Jane McKay and daughters, Misses
Mary, Jennie, Emma, Lizzie and Robbie. John Adams, Mrs.
Adams, their sons Alex and Robert and daughters Miss
Mary Ann and Janet and others. Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Mc-
Pherson. Miss Mottie and Eliza Ward, many of us re-
collect these good women as those who first taught us in
the day School. The Misses Laval, one of them our organist,
playing a little organ that two able bodied men could pick
up and carry, the organ placed in the gallery which was
located just above the Church entrance, facing the pulpit.
Miss Helen Parker, singing in the choir, ami at the services
as regularly as the Church doors were opened.
Mr. Gibbons and his stepchildren, John, Will, Joe and
Miss Lou Burty ''Beaury" and "Matt" Howell; Mrs. Mary
Speer with her sons Beattie and David. Dr. and Mrs. J. P.
Hillhouse with their children, Emma, Sunie, Edward,
Tweetie and John Peter.
T. C. Gower with children Corrie, Mamie, Arthur and
Charlie. Mr. J. P. Miller, John B. Miller, Andrew Miller,
Capt. 0. P. Mills and Maj. T. B. Ferguson. Miss Lula Buist
and Hugh ; Mrs. Elizabeth Gass with her boys, Charlie and
A little later the Hudsons came and Mr. Hamp Cely.
The lives of these were devoted to their Church throughout
their connection with it or for the term of their lives.
At the beginning of the strivings to build up war's
wastes, these constituted the bulk of the membership and
congregation. Naturally it's impossible to remember all,
especially when the memory being taxed for the purpose
was just beginning to function.
The carriages, buggies and wagons in which the people
would come to church were driven to the rear and side
of it, the horses or mules usually unhitched and tied at a
hitching place until after services.
There was a sermon every Sunday morning and after-
noon, and, as some of the people came quite a distance, their
lunch and feed for the stock had to be brought.
Dr. Buist, the pastor, came before Sabbath School and
remained at the Church until the close of the afternoon
service. As regular as clock-work was his arrival and as
methodical as the sun's course were the things he did. With
a grave and solomn mein he would walk down the Church
aisle to the little box pulpit, with a mohair covered sofa
across the rear of the platform, ascend the steps and place
his package of lunch under the sofa at exactly the same
spot, each time.
"As poor as a Church mouse" has been often quoted
when one wished to describe extreme need, but certainly
there was a family of these little rodents that feared sump-
tuously each Sabbath day. Almost by the time Dr. Buist
would come down from the pulpit and take his seat in a
chair nearby, the mice would appear and at once get
busy striving to effect an entrance into the lunch.
The pulpit and the rail around the platform cut off
a view of what was going on from most of the people, but
Maj. Ferguson's class of small boys were situated just right
to take it in. The moving pictures of today, even the
wonders of the circus, could not have created a more ab-
sorbing interest than did the activities of these mice under
the conditions and in the place in which they were working.
Except at a wedding the Church, small though it was,
was seldom crowded and well it was that this was so, for
it was the day of hoop-skirts. When woman was arrayed
in Sunday attire, it took space to accommodate her, half
or less than half the number now needed to fill a given
space could then fill the bill. Strange how custom and
habit control, now the hoop-skirt seems a monstrosity, then
a woman seemed immodestly g'tarbed without one.
Mr. T. C. Gower taught a class of older boys : Charlie
Oass, Johnnie Graves, Dixie Williams and Beattie Rowland
were among the members of it at one time or another.
Johnnie Graves has developed into John Temple Graves,
the gifted speaker and writer. Charlie Gass. The pity it is
that the temptations that beset Burns and Poe ; were also
his. Brilliant, athletic, magnetic, sympathetic, few young
men or big boys, could appeal to the average youngster
more greatly. Some of the others mentioned lived out their
lives in our midst and are remembered by many.
Mr. A. A. Foster a Ruling Elder was at the time and for
several years Superintendent of the Sunday School,
In 1867 the given names of two of the baptized children
of a father and mother coming into the Church by letter
were Harriet Lake Erie and Saluda Rosalie.
October ]3th, 1867 Mrs. Flora A. Buist, wife of the pastor
and mother cf Prof. Geo. A. Buist was received by letter
into the Church. On the same day Waddy Hampton Hudson,
son of Mrs. Rosa Hudson, now Dr. W. H. Hudson of our
China Mission, was baptized.
January 5th, 1868, Mrs. Jane McKay and Miss Mary
McKay were received into the membership from the Glebe
St. Church, Charleston.
Februar3' 23rd, 1868, James Birnie and W. A. Hudson were
received on profession of faith. Mr. Birnie was a faithful
member throughout his comparatively short remaining life,
lie was chosen an Elder in 1869, he was active at all times
in the Sunday School work. He died November 12th, 1873.
Mr. Hudson was the father of Waddy, Wilton and Austin
Hudson, served as a Deacon for nearly twenty-five years
until he left this Church to become an Elder in the newly
organized Church now known as the Third Presbyterian.
The reports to Presbytery each half year, almost all,
show a continuous growth of the church. An example of
REV. R(JBERT 11. NALL, D. D.
Tliird Pastor of Church
faithful following of the customs and teachings of the
Church was shown in the case of Mrs. Jane Cauble who
united on profession of faith October 11th, 1868 and the
following December 6th, brought all of her children, two
daughters and three sons for baptism.
James Birnie presided and A. A. Foster was secretary
of a congregational meeting, held for the purpose of in-
creasing the pastor's salary from $400.00 to $600.00 per year
and the rearranging cf the price of the pews that the rentals
thereof might realize the larger amount. This was March
In percentage the proposed increase was considerable but
the total of the increased salary was pitiful when it is under-
stood that the pastor supplied his own home and had a con-
siderable family to support.
Greenville was a vastly different place in 1869 to what
it is now. Then Washington Street ended at Richardson
on the West and Heldman on the East. In the middle of the
street, near Richardson, was a little brick building for the
housing of a hand power fire engine. The water supply for
fire protectio-n was held in cisterns filled with rain water
directed from the roofs of nearby buildings.
Where the Y. W. C. A. building now stands was part of
the premises occupying the entire block, of a dwelling on
the corner of Coffee and Laurens Streets. The stables, out-
buildings and garden all, near Washington Street, while a
chincapin thicket had grown up in the corner of Richardson
and Washington Streets. The block bounded by Richard-
son. Washington, Laurens Streets and McBee Avenue, was
occupied by two residences facing "The Avenue" as it was
then called, Mr. Andy McDavid's and Mr. Tliruston's; their
gardens extending back to Washington St.
The river had to be forded as there were nothing but
two foot bridges spanning it and quite frequently the
river would get too high for vehicular crossing, for short
periods of time.
This was a time when the elderly matron would nearly
always, in summer time, carry a turkey tail fan to church
and there was something; soothing in the dignified and
rythmic movements of these, all over the Church, as the
ladies used them, that induced a tendency to sleepiness
among many of the older men of the Church. A brave
fight would be made against this drowsiness, cloves, stick
cinnamon, peppermint drops or even the point of a pin in
self-inflicted punishment would be used, but the surest
remedy would come with the wife's discovery of the im-
pending lapse and her vigorous use of the "turkey tail,"
to cool the sultry atmosphere about the "pater families."
The reports to Presbytery from the Session for 1867, '68,
'69, '70 and '71 indicate a larger membership of the Sunday
School than of the Church. This condition is so unusual
that it is worthy of mention.
At a congregational meeting held Juiy 16th, 1870, on
motion of T. C. Gower, the annual rents of the Gaillard
School were given to Dr. Buist in addition to the $600.00
Dr. Buist was not only eminent in learning and in ability
as a preacher, but he was wonderfully punctilious in busi-
ness affairs, there were never any loose ends in his transac-
tions and his antipathy to debt was such that it is said
there was no financial encumbrance whatever, when he
died, even the servants having been paid before his demise.
Of course during this period, as always, the young men
and the maids were attracted to each other, love was en-
gendered and marriage resulted. Dr. R. D. Long
and Miss Parker; Maj. T. B. Ferguson and Miss Alice
Cline, Capt. 0. P. Mills and Miss Corrie Gower, a little
later, Mr. W. J. Crosswell and Miss Mamie Gower, James
McPherson and Miss Janet Adams, Mr. S. C. Clyde and
Miss Lula Buist. Maj. Ferguson, Capt. Mills, Mr. Crosswell,
the McKays, the Hudsons, Mrs. Gibbs, Col. A. Fuller (after-
wards an Elder) the Blackwoods, the Clarys, the Fosters,
Capt. W. C. Hillhouse and family, R. A. Means, Dr. J. F.
Dorroh and family (Dr. Dorroh, long an Elder), Mr. and
Mrs. Robt. H. Williams and scores of others, most o-f them
keeping in vital touch with the life of the Church and faith-
ful in their duties to it, were becoming its members.
Mr. and Mrs. G. D. Barr; Maj. and Mrs. T. H. McCann,
(Mrs. Barr's father and mother), Col. and Mrs. T. L. Wood-
side, uncle of John T. and Robert I. Woodside, T. Walter
Barr, Miss Bessie Barr, C. L. McCoUoch, Miss Sunie Hill-
house, Waddy H. Hudson, Georgie T. Barr, Charles E.
Gower and Mrs. J. C. Speights, were some of the members
coming into the Church prior to 1877. Maj. McCann and
Mr. Barr both became Elders and served throughout the
remainder of their lives.
Mr. and Mrs. Barr were very faithful to their Church
and their large family seemed, every one, to inherit this
most admirable trait and now even their "childrens' child-
ren" are taking a large part in its activities.
On November 10th, 1877, Dr. Buist died. Sixteen years
of faithful service with this people had been his lot. There
are people yet living in Greenville whose lives feel the
impress of his wise teachings and giood example. At least
one can testify, that conversations with him, as he gave of
his wide knowledge and experience, established a love for
more worth while reading than had previously appealed.
We have now reached the time of Hampton's election;
now things are beginning to be stabilized. The "Reconstruc-
tions Period" has about passed. A new chapter should be
Growth and Expansion — 1878
THE Atlanta and Charlotte Air Line Railway had been
built through Greenville (now the Southern Railway),
Washington street was now opened from Richardson to the
new railway station and a horse car line was operated from
the air line to the C. & G. stations over Washington, Main
and Augusta Streets.
The "Gower Bridge" for both vehicles and pedestrains,
had been built over the river, at the foot of Main St.
A connecting line from the Columbia and Greenville R.
R. to the "Air Line" was constructed and the first local
cotton mill had not long been in operation. We are not
sure about this but we think this mill has been called
"Camperdown" from the beginning until now, throug'liout
several changes of ownership.
The coming of the new railroad had given Greenville
quite a boom. Its proportionate growth was probably
greater during this decade that at any other time in its
history and the churches of the city maintained fully as
favorable an expansion.
On Dec. 23rd, 1877, a congregational meeting convened
for the purpose of selecting a pastor, on motion of Maj.
T. B. Ferguson, a call was extended to Rev. Robert H. Nail,
at a salary of $1200.00, payable monthly in advance. An
increase of 100^ in amount and monthly in advance in-
stead of semi-annual payments, as previously prevailed, re-
cords quite an advance. Pew rents were advanced 50^
At this same meeting.
January 20th, 1878, Mr. Nail, having accepted the call,
preached his first sermon and began his ministerial labors
January 14th, 1876, Mr. Martin F. Ansel moved tO' Green-
ville, "hung out his shingle" the next day as a practitioner
WAsnixGTox strp:et Presbyterian church
As it r.])iitr:i"ed at cUisc of Dr. Nail's pastorate
of law and the following sabbath attended the Presbyterian
Though Mr. Ansel did not change his allegiance from
the Lutheran Church (of which he was a member) to the
Presbyterian, until February 3rd, 1892, he was faithful in
all work and worship, in every department of the church's
activities, from the day of his first attendance. Except for
the two terms as Governor of South Carolina, he has been
as continuously in his place as was reasonably possible.
Mr. Ansel was chosen an Elder February 5th, 1893 and
September 19th, 1876, John A. Russell came to Green-
ville and he too came to the church the first Sunday after
The Church life of Mr. Russell and Mr. Ansel have been
peculiarly parallel. Coming near the same time, both have
always given their efficient best to the Church they deeply
love. Mr. Russell became an Elder Oct. 6th, 1889 and is
now chairman of the session.
Both Governor Ansel and Mr. Russell were always
deeply interested in the Sunday School and among its faith-
January 28th, 1878, Mr. Thos. Stall came into the Church
again from the Cartersville, Ga. Church and he was at once
elected Superintendent of the Sunday School and Mr. Ansel
Assistant Superintendent. At this meeting of the session
the petition was signed for the formation of Enoree Presby-
James F. Mackey united with the Church, by profession,
Feb. 3rd, 1878. Mr. Mackey was always active in church
work and with Frank Hammond, R. E. and H. W. Allen
were the leaders in the organization of the Second Preby-
A record of interest is that of March 20th, 1878 when
the entrance of W. H. Cely into the Church occurs. The
time that has elapsed since the above date until the present,
notes the longest full membership in the Church of any
male member now living.
All of the figures given, most of the facts and the
names as so far used were taken or suggested by the book
of "Records of Session" bringing us from the beginning
of the Church to March 31st, 1878 and now, closing this part
of the story we give the report to Presbytery for the year
April 1877 to April 1878.
With this report thirty years of church life has been
finished. The struggle of beginning, the horrors of civil
war and the travail of Reconstruction, have all been safely
'statistical report to the; pre;sbyte;ry from april 1st, 1877
TO APRii. 1st, 1878.
No. of Elders 6
No. of Deacons 6
Rec'd on Examination 1
Rec'd on Certificate 11
Total Communicants 143
Adults Baptized 1
Infants Baptized 9
No. baptized non Com. —
No. Children in S. S. 152
Sustentation $ 25.65
Invalid fund 14.00
Foreign Missions 6.35
Pastor's Salary (paid) 900.00
Period of More Rapid Growth
EARLY after the begdnning of Dr. Nail's ministry, it be-
came manifest that the congregation was outgTOwing
the capacity of the original Church building.
Of course there was almost at once apparent as many
ideas as to what was best to be done as there were mem-
bers, but much prayer, discussion, work and some prelim-
inary giving began to crystallize into definite plans.
It ig entirely probable that on this seventy-fifth an-
niversary of the Church, there are several of its members
who are each possesors of greater wealth than the total
membership then held combined. Of course the dollar pur-
chased more then than now and too it was wonderful how
far our forbears of this Church could make a dollar go in
its buying power.
The conservative, pessimistic and ultra cautious fought
hard for slower going in the matter of plans tO' be adopted,
but the optimistic and wide visioned of the membership
prevailed, though the adoption of their ideas created a
debt that hung for a long time over the Church.
Greenville's population at the time of the organization
of the Church was less than 1500 people, settled over an
area not much less than the present limits of the city. When
the building of the new church was undertaken the number
of inhabitants had probably increased to nearly five thou-
sand and no one then living;, though they expected growth
and development, could possibly vision what has resulted.
The entire congregation became enthused but maybe it will
not be amiss to specially mention the zeal and tireless en-
ergy of L. B. Cline and T. C. Gower. No sacrifice was
too great nor any labor too arduous for their undertaking.
July 9th, 1882 was the date of last service held in the
old church the congregation then using the opera house
until Dec. 2nd, 1883, it occupied the lecture room' of the
new Church. It was not until the last sabbath in August
1890 that the building debt was fully paid and the new
The opera house referred to was not the one just now
discontinued but wasj above the Gdlreath and ^Bur-
bage stores, then located on the north side of the block,
between Main and Laurens Streets where Buncombe and
It seems that regular weekly collections had not been
taken in the Sunday School until May 13th, 1878, when this
was ordered to be done, by the session.
Coin in the denomination of one cent was not current
in Greenville until 1888. To bring the ability to make even
the smallest contribution to the children and tO' enable its
apportionment to the Assembly's causes, change tickets of
one, two and three cents each, were issued by the Sunday
School Treasurer, to be given in exchange for their nickels
On June 16th, 1878, the session appointed a committee
consisting of T. C. Gower, J. F. Dorroh and L. B. Cline to
cooperate with the colored people in their efforts to organize
a Presbyterian Church. These efforts resulted in the forma-
tion of a church in connection with the northern Assembly
and known now as the Mattoon Presbyterian Church.
Probably the last instance of the accession of negro
members was in the reception of Benjamin Hughes, his wife
Mariah and Sinia Clinkscales, by letter from Long Cane
Presbyterian Church, Abbeville, County, August 12th, 1878.
September 1st, 1878 these three were granted their let-
ters to the just organized colored Presbyterian Church.
On the 2nd of January 1879, Rev. S. S. Gaillard died,
near Griffin, Ga. and on the 19th of same month the session
honored his memory and manifested their affection for him
in suitable resolutions and the inscription of a page in the
minute book to his memory.
William Lee, afterward a member and clerk of the
REV. JOHN M. ROSE, D. D.
Fourth Pastor of Churcli
session, united with his church on January 3rd, 1879, com-
ing from the Honea Path Church. On March 30th, 1879,
Georg-e E. Taylor and his wife Emma H. came by letter from
Olebe Street Church, Charleston. This will be of interest
to some of the older members in that they remember the
firm of Sloan, Lee and Taylor, which was engaged in the
Grocery business, on Main St., next to where Sloan Bros,
still occup3', under the then Academy of Music.
We have now come in the study of the Sessions Records
tO' the date of the death of Dr. J. P. Hillhouse. For the
sixth time, suitable resolutions and an inscribed page in the
minute books, has marked the passing of the Church's
servants, Whiteford Smith, Lewis Worthington, Jas. Birnie,
Dr. E. T. Buist, Rev.. S. S. Gaillard and Dr. J. P. Hillhouse
were these — and of course none of them had served so long
as Dr. Hillhouse, a little more than thirty-one years of very
faithful performance of duty.
On January 11th, 1880 it is noted that Miss Eugenia
Hewell had been elected organist to succeed Mrs. L. A.
This seems to have been the official beginning of what
has resulted in many years of faithful service on the part of
March 7th, 1881 Joshua W. Nichols and Avife were
received into the membership of the Church. Mr. Nichols
was the contractor who erected the new Church building,
the same we now worship in, only enlarged some in its pre-
May 4th, 1882, the following persons were received into
membership of the Church through confession of faith in
Jesus Christ, to wit: John W. Hewell, Thomas D. Jackson,
Edward Somers Buist, Louis L. Barr, Edward H. Heine, Miss
Janie M. Miller, Miss Annie L. Miller, Miss Annie N. Barr,
Miss Fannie Ferguson, Miss Sallie J. Woodside and Miss
Lela A. Woodside.
So many of these names have been and some are still,
so intimately identified with the Church, that surely it is
of interest to know when they became its full members. Al-
most, if not all of these, were children of the Sunday School.
The Synon.ym for Barr in relation tO' this Church has
Mr. G. D. Barr, the patriarch of the flock, Walter,
George, Louis, the sons, were all honored by the Church in
selection to office and in turn were an honor to the Church
in the fullness of their service. Then too, the daughters
were no whit behind the sons, Misses Bessie, Annie and
"Daylight" were and the first two still are, faithful and
loyal to their Lord in their service.
Miss Bessie is now Mrs. Lipscomb, the mother of some
of the present worthy members of the Church while Miss
Annie, as the wife of Dr. J. R. Wilkinson, has long labored
with her husband in Suchow China, in missionary effort.
Nothing could be more interesting than the story of Dr.
and Mrs. Wilkinson's experiences and get through these a
glimpse both of its hardships and the joy and glory of its
The pastorate of Dr. Nail is drawing to a close at this
period in the study of the Sessional records. His piety, ad-
ministrative ability, strong and appealing preaching and
kindly, sympathetic pastoral relations, had greatly endeared
him to the people.
Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hammond, John A. Russell, Dr. and
Mrs. C. A. Simpson, W. Austin Hudson, T. W. Davis, Wilton
T. Hudson, Miss Lilly McKay, Miss Mary Miller, Miss Lola
Gower, Miss Augusta ("Daylight") Barr, Capt. Jack Boyd
and many others, became members of the church during
Mi*. B. Wehrle was elected organist Sept. 16th, 1884, suc-
ceeding Mrs. J. E. Wilkes.
Mr. Wehrle was the founder of the business now operat-
ed as Hale's Gift Shop. An efficient and informed worker
on time pieces, his mantle fell on Mr. W. R. Hale who long
was with him.
After several years of service as organist, Mr. Wehrle,
who Avas in the habit of going to the Southern Railway-
station, at noon each day, to get the accurate time as it
was flashed from Washington, there was then no other way
of getting this information, while stepping from one track
on which a train was coming he stepped in front of another
that was coming toward him and was killed.
Nov. 8th, 1885 notes the request of Dr. Nail that the
congregation unite with him in a request to Presbytery for
a dissolution of pastoral relations.
At a congreg-ational meeting held March 14th, 1886
Rev. John M. Rose, Jr., was unanimously elected pastor to
succeed Mr. Nail, the salary of the pastor was increased
from twelve to fifteen hundred dollars.
May 30th, 1886, Dr. Jas. R. Wilkinson and June 8th
same year Thos. C. Stuart, Mrs. Ella Stuart, Miss Ella
Stuart and Miss Margaret Stuart united with the Church
by certificate. Dr. Wilkinson and Mr. Stuart both become
Deacons -and later Mr. Stuart w^as elected an Elder. The
zeal and faithfulness of both of these in the Master's service
was always present. Few people manifested in the very ex-
pression of their countenance and their every contact in life,
the Christ-likeness, that did Thomas C. Stuart. His ac-
quaintance and friendship was a benediction and his heart
big enough to take in the whole wide world.
From 1880 on, one cannot but fail to be impressed with
the ingathering of the grandchildren of the earlier members
of the Church. The beacon lights which long ago may have
blazed so brightly, now to have grown dim with age or
gone out in death are re-consecrated in these young people
who are sO' filially and zealously taking their forefathers
place in Church and general Christian effort.
Along about this time was a period when several of the
Church's young sons felt the call to the ministry and Waddy
H. Hudson, John C. Bailey, George M. Howerton and Virgil
R. Gaston, at various dates responded.
July 1st, 1887 George T. Bryan, on profession of faith,
united with the Church. Mr. Bryan was later elected and
served long as a Deacon and is now a member of the Session,
The story of the Church's life is coming within the mem-
ory of many now, its members and the details of its activities
are becoming so voluminous that the record must be a rapid
skimming of the events.
Dr. Rose had inherited from Dr. Nail, in his succeeding
pastorate, a largely increased congregation and an adequate
Church building, but still lacking the finish on parts of its
interior that would enable its full occupancy. There had
also fallen to his lot the problem of meeting the debt still
being carried, to cover the cost of the new Church building.
The need had now come for organization that had not existed
to the same extent before and with the need had come the
man. Dr. Rose organized the Leighton Wilson Foreign Mis-
sionary Society of which Miss Mary McKay, now Mrs. Shep-
pard, of Conshohocken, Pa., was the first President, the
Painter Penny Society for children and then the young
People's Working Society.
To the Young People's Working Society probably is due
more than any other one cause, the present existence of the
Third Presbyterian Church, as the first building it occupied
and the nucleus of its early congregation, were the fruits
of its efforts.
On the last Sabbath in August 1890, the debt had been
entirely cleared from the new building and it was dedicated
to the worship and service of God. Dr. Nail, under whose
ministry the Church had been erected and Dr. Rose, who had
seen all the financial obligation of this building met, offi-
ciated at the dedication. It is interesting to note as an
incident leading up to the dedication, that on August 5,
1890, Mr. M. F. Ansel, Treasurer, of the building fund, had
been asked by the Session to make a report to them. Surely
it was a joy to get the good news of all obligation met which
Mr, Ansel brought.
Beginning" of Colinization
FOLLOWING the acceptance by Dr. Rose of a call to be-
come an Evangelist of the Synod of North Carolina and
the severance of his pastoral relations with us, a call was
extended to and accepted by, Dr. T. M. McConnell, to take
up the work Dr. Rose had laid down.
The closing days of Dr. Rose's pastorate witnessed the
summons of John Adams, first Elder of the Church to meet
his Lord he had so long and faithfully served. Longer
than any other officer, did Mr. Adams serve and more
faithful no one could have been.
Dr. McConnell was called to the pastorate Jan. 31, 1892
and began work March 9, following, on the following day,
March 10, Messrs. Frank Hammond and Jas. F. Mackey
appeared before the Session praying it to grant their request
for the immediate organization of the proposed Church in
the "West End", which was granted. On March 16th let-
ters were granted to the following persons to unite them-
selves with the Second Presbyterian Church the name
adopted by the new "West End" congregation, Mr. and
Mrs. Frank Hammond, Capt. and Mrs. E. A. Smyth, Mrs.
Margaret Smyth McKissick, J. Adger Smyth, Jr., Mr. and
Mrs. R. E. Allen, Miss Lucy McDonald, Miss Jessie Garling-
ton, J. F. Mackey, Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Martin, T. R. Jones,
Mr. and Mrs. R. A. Means, H. W. Allen, Miss M. J. Land,
Mrs. C. Williams, Dr. and Mrs. W. S. Pack, Mrs. Sarah Pack,
P. Mills, Mrs. M. F. Davis, Mrs. B. F. King and Adam
Almost at once upon organization, the Second Church
invited Rev. N. J. Holmes to become their pastor, this call
he accepted and on May 15th, there was a double installa-
tion at one service, when Dr. McConnell was placed in the
pastorate of the Washington Street Presbyterian Church
and Mr. Holmes became the duly installed pastor of the
The following facts are culled from the narrative to
Presbytery April 1892. The membership of the Church
was 310, Sunday School 200, the West Street mission 133 and
a faithful work among that most destitute and neglected of
all sinners, the fallen women, was being undertaken. The
influence of Mr. T. H. Stall among these degraded people,
in his Christ-like efforts for their eternal welfare, develop-
ed some unusual and pathetic examples of the wonderful
moving of the Holy Spirit, through consecrated human
On April 7th, 1892, at a congregational meeting, the fol-
lowing men were elected Deacons: A. "W. Anderson, M. F.
Ansel, A. G. Gower, T. C. Stuart and G. W. Taylor, also
M. F. Ansel, W. C. Cleveland and Avery Patton were elected
Mr. Anderson moved to Augusta to become Supt. of the
C & W C Ry. Mr. Stuart and Mr. Taylor became Elders
and served as such until their death while Messrs. Ansel and
Gower are both members of the present Church Session.
George H. Chapin and family united with the Church
June 12th, 1892, by letter. A daughter. Miss Maud Chapin
manifested a deep interest in Christian work, especially in
missions, from the beginning of her connection with the
Rev. Waddy H. Hudson, a child cf the Church, offered
for the mission field and was assigaied to work in China.
What more natural than Miss Maud, as Mrs. Hudson, should
herself become an active worker in the field of work that
had long been her deepest interest.
June 27th, 1892, marked the passing of William Lee,
a Ruling Elder since April 2, 1882 and the successor to Mr.
Cline as Clerk of the Session, being the third Clerk since
the organization of the Church. Mr. Lee was only 50 years
old at the time of his death, but long continued ill health
made him appear older. His gentle manner and manifest
piety drew people to him, many warm friends mourned his
taking away and all who knew him at all, esteemed and re-
In the minutes of December 29th, 1892 appears an in-
dorsement of the Broad Street Mission of which T. W.
Barr was Supt. and H. T. Poe, Secretary.
During the month of Jan. 1889, Mr. M. F. Ansel, Dr. C. A.
Simpson and Mr. Geo. W. Taylor were elected Elders and
following: the election of these, Messrs. H. T. Poe, James
Finlay and T. W. Barr were chosen Deacons. Feb. 6th fol-
lowing his election, upon the resignation of Mr. J. P. Miller,
Mr. Taylor Avas elected Clerk of the Session and served as
such until near his death.
Dec. 23rd, 1893, registered the passing of Elder James K.
Dickson, who had served faithfully as a member of the
Session for more than 14 years dying at the ripe old age
of 82 years.
Thirty-three of the members of the Church, were dis-
missed, Feb'y. 26th, 1893, at their request to organize a
Church to occupy the old West St. Mission, and which was
later to develop into the Third Presbyterian Church.
Dr. John F. Dorroh was the next venerable member of
the Session to lay down his earthly labors.
Seventy-seven years of age, twenty years as an Elder
of this Church, his life among us had been one of un-
swerving allegiance to his Church. Rugged in physical as-
pect, cultured in mind, plain speaking in his communica-
tions, there was never a question of where he would stand
in a matter of right or wrong and he was an invitation for
the confidence of any weaker one who was seeking strength
in better living.
The first reference to the "seed sowing" that was taking
•lace for the formation of a woman's college, a work of
which Chicora College was the progeny, was contained in a
report of J. A. Russell, of the joint Church Committee or-
ganized for that purpose to the meeting of Session August
At a meeting held in the lecture room of our Church,
then and there, a guarantee fund of about $1000.00 was
subscribed for the organization of the school. Later Prof.
J. F. McKinnon was secured to take charge, the Crosswell
residence on West McBee Avenue rented and a corps of
teachers secured. For a while the school struggled along in
this location, probably its growth was more pronounced in
its rootings in the interest and affections of the people than
in a manifestation of visible fruitage.
An effort was now inauguarated to acquire, by purchase,
a permanent site for the College. A beautiful location was
opportunely offered and a vigtorous campaign conducted to-
enable the purchase of the McBee Hill, just over the river,
between Main and Rhett Streets. Many participated in the
canvas for these funds, but certainly none were quite so
zealous or as effective as the Rev. N. J. Holmes, the then
pastor of the Second Prebyterian Church.
The deal for this property was consummated. Mr. Holmes
resigned his pastorate with the Second Church to become
an evangelist. Dr. S. R. Preston was called in his place and
also occupied the presidency of the College, Prof. McKinnon
having resigned to enter the ministry.
The people of Greenville loyally backed the efforts of
the college in its struggle for development and it had
grown into a creditable institution when, after the necessary
formalities, it was presented to the Presbyteries of South
Carolina and became a full fledged Church School with Dr.
S. C. Byrd as its president.
Later the College was moved to Columbia though not
without a vigorous fight for its retention in Greenville. It
is good the hand of time will almost unfailingly smooth the
kinks that will come into man made plans, for many who
had labored in the rearing of this institution did not take
kindly to its removal.
Thomas Claghorn Gower, is the name inscribed next in
the minute book on a page devoted to his memory, he hav-
ing met death bathing in the French Broad river, while
REV. TTTOMAS ^rAXWEfJ. McCONNELL, D. D.
Fiftli Pastor of Church
visiting his summer home "Chestnut Hill" near Brevard,
N. C, October 23, 1893. Mr. Gower united with the Church
June 7, 1851, elected Deacon Jan. 4th, 1852, became Elder
Sept. 9th, 1855. Just a few months more would have
rounded out 43 years of official service for Mr. Gower in the
Synod was on the eve of convening in our Church, A. G.
Gower, a son, was on the committee to meet the incoming
delegates and assign them to their homes when a message
with the tragic news reached him while he was at the
C. & W. C. depot.
Synod adjourned its session Wednesday afternoon, for
the holding of Mr. Gower 's funeral services.
May 7th, 1896, a committee of three, M. F. Ansel, J. P.
Miller and A. G. Gower, were appointed to investigate the
feasibility of building a manse and reported at a subsequent
meeting. At a meeting of the Deacon's board May 27th, this
additional committee was appointed for the same purpose;
B. A. Morgan, Alexander Finlay, Nelson, Poe, Wm. H. Cely
and George T. Barr. July 6th, 1896, a contract was closed
for the building of the Manse at a price of $1800.00 exclusive
of the plumbing.
The first mention of the name of C. E. Graham, later a
member and Elder of this Church, was Nov. 1, 1896, when an
invitation was extended to him to meet with the Session
whenever he was sojourning in Greenville. "God moves in
a mysterious way, his wonders to perform." Certain busi-
ness happenings and exigencies were causing Mr. Graham
to spend more and more of his time in Greenville until
fmally he took up his residence here. Not only did he come
with his immediate family but his brothers, W. J. and R. L.
Graham came, also a brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs.
Kerr Wilson. A man of great energy and large business
ability, Mr. Graham proved a valuable addition to the
Probably more than any other one factor, was Mr.
Graham instrumental in widening the vision of the local
Church. The "Great Commission" came with peculiar per-
sonal appeal to him and his time and means were always
invested in the service. Thougth to him, the "Ends of the
Earth" were considered a part of the local Church's re-
sponsibility, the thought was never at the expense of local
needs. A few specific instances of Mr. Graham's deep inter-
est in Christ's Kingdom it may not be amiss to mention. He
entirely supported W. H. Sheppard, the first missionary to
the Congo ; later, when retrenchment seemed imperative
and the mission board had decided to withdraw from
Africa, he supported the entire mission during the exigency.
The building of the Ellen Levine Graham hospital in Korea,
for medical missions and the gift of the Hurd building in
Jacksonville, Fla., for the Ministerial Relief, endowment
fund were some of his benefactions.
December 27th, 1897, gives the first intimation of plans
for the celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Church,
in a report from the committee on program. Mrs. Stone,
Mrs. Gaillard and Mrs. Butler, twO' of the charter members
ard the wife of the first pastor, were still living and were
invited to be present. At a meeting of Feb. 6th, a special
invitation to these others were authorized : Mrs. Z. L,
Holmes, wife of the minister organizing the Church, Rev.
and Mrs. N. J. Holmes, a son and daughter-in-law of Rev.
Z. L. Holmes, and Mrs. E. T. Buist, the wife of Dr. Buist,
the second pastor.
The 50th anniversary celebration not only included the
mother Church, but was participated in also by its off-
spring, the Second and Third Churches.
All of these specially invited guests to this celebration
are now dead, no one lives now who came in at the time of
organization, seventy-five years ago. The nearest approach
to this is in Mrs. Alice Ferguson, who was baptized on Oct.
14, 1849, seventy-four instead of seventy-five years ago.
December 29th, 1898 gives a reminder of the Spanish
war encampment, through the reception of Wade Hampton
Rice of the Second West Virginia regiment into the Church
upon profession of faith in Jesus Christ.
The injection of new problems through the location of
the encampment are manifested in the narrative to the meet-
ing of the Spring Presbytery of 1899 in the following in
regard to the observance of the Sabbath: "Fairly good,
though Sunday concerts at the camps and other influences
we fear, have caused some of our people to forget the
sanctity of the Sabbath and Gods commands concerning
During the Autumn, winter and spring of 1898 and 1899,
six regiments were encamped here. A New York, a Massa-
chusetts and a Missouri regiment were located about where
Dunean Mill now occupies; another New York, a West
Virginia and a New Jersey regiment were placed along the
hill throug:h which Stone Avenue and Earle Street now run,
while headquarters were established about where the City
Hospital now stands and on the land surrounded by it.
About 7000 soldiers were in the encampments, a great
many civilians had been also attracted through their com-
ing, together they totaled a larger number of people than
the population of the town w^as at that time. They gathered
quickly, with slight previous preparation for their care in
any of life's aspects, physical, spiritual, mental or social,
but it is to Greenville's credit that almost all went away
with a pleasant feeling tow^ard Greenville.
Open barrooms had recently been abolished throughout
the State and the dispensary system established.
Of course, there was a considerable consumption of in-
toxicants but the new system greatly reduced the amount
and to that extent was a distinct benefit.
Much new money flowed into this section through the
sojourn of the soldiers in our midst, their contact induced
mere altertness in the home people and despite some blots
and blemishes that it would take time to eradicate, their
coming was a benefit.
October 14th, 1900 witnessed the coming into this Church
of Miss Kitty Perrin w^ho almost at once, organized a work
among the little children along the lines of kindergarten
methods. The work was wonderfully successful and very
faithfully prosecuted, from that time until now.
May 18th, 1902, Dr. T. M. McConnell gave notice to a
called meeting of the congregation, that he would apply at
the approaching called meeting of the Presbytery, for a dis-
solution of his pastorate with this Church : On March 23rd,
previous, Dr. McConnell had indicated to the Session his
intention of soon resigning as pastor.
Presbyterian strength in Greenville had increased great-
ly during Dr. McConnell's sojourn here. The mother
Church, of which he was pastor had 50% more members
than when he came, while two vigorous and rapidly grow-
ings congregations had gone out from it and Chicora College
had grown until it had become one of the recognized insti-
tutions of learning in the State.
A call was extended June 29, 1902, to Rev. T. W. Sloan,
then pastor of the A. R. P. Church, at Abbeville, to become
our pastor, his acceptance was noted in meeting of Session
July 6th, 1902 with the information that his pastorate would
begin Sept. 1st, 1902.
From September 1st, 1902 to October 14th 1923 is a
period of more than 21 years, this is the time measuring
Dr. Sloan's sojourn with us as our pastor.
Wonderful years they have been, so full of rich spiritual
experiences, material growth and expanding activities as
he has shepherded this flock.
The Fourth Pres;byterian Church was formed, and
eighteen of our members granted letters to it Dec. 8th, 1912.
Chicora College has been moved to Columbia and many,
many changes have taken place. A great many have passed
to their reward, but a larger number, have grown during
this time, tO' maturity and are numbered now among our
active members while maybe even more than they probably
have come from outside sources, to cast their lot with
We have grown strong in numbers and material posses-
sions and let us hope, in spiritual attainment. May it be
though but the vantage ground from which we may press
forward to greater things, the heights from which we may
obtain a vision of the spiritual destitution that exists and
adequately recognize our duty in the matter.
This story is drawing to a close. I hope that what is
written wull be of interest and that it may reach as many
as would care to read.
Before closing with some statistics, I hope I will be par-
doned for becoming personal.
Both pleasure and sadness have been mine in this work.
Probably as never before have I been brought to realize how
great is the host "Over there", of those who were my
loved ones or good friends, when they abode on earth.
The names of so many occur in the record of the Church
accessions, whose lives ours has touched as S. S. teacher,
scout master or friend, and the hope would arise that maybe
the contact had been one of the influences in their lives
that helped them to make their great choice.
Under the great starlit skies of Arizona and Mexico,
with no Church or Sunday school, or preacher, I have thought
of the old Church in loving remembrance and now,
many years later, back at home, when older eyes render
the stars less bright, the glory and attractiveness of w^hat
the Church w^as and is and is to be, grows more and more
THE PASTORS O^ THE CHURCH
Rev. S. S. Gaillard from July 25, 1848 to Sept. __, 1860.
(As pastor and stated supply except for short periods
when Rev. W. F. Pearson and Rev. J. S. Wilbanks, supplied.)
Dr. E. T. Buist, December 1861, November 1877.
Dr. R. H. Nail, December 1877, November 1855.
Dr. J. M. Rose, March 1866, October 1891.
Dr. T. M. McConnell, January 1892, May 1902.
Dr. T. W. Sloan, September 1902, still serving.
RULING ELDERS :
John Adams, Feb. 27, 1848, died May 24, 1891.
Dr. J. P. Hillhouse, April 9, 1848, died Sept. 18, 1879.
Whiteford Smith, Sr., June 7, 1851, died Nov. 18. 1863.
Logan B. Cline, Sept. 9, 1855, died Feb. 15, 1889.
Thomas C. Gower, Sept. 9, 1855, died Oct. 23, 1894.
J. A. Kirkpatrick, June 30, 1861, moved March 3, 1867.
Lewis Worthington, May 3, 1862, died April 18, 1869.
James D. Anderson, May 3, 1862, moved Oct. 14, 1866.
James Birnie, August 2, 1869, died Nov. 12, 1873.
A. A. Foster, Aug^ust 2, 1869, moved June 3, 1877.
Alfred Fuller, Dec. 21, 1873, moved April 8, 1878.
John F. Dorroh, Dec. 21, 1873, died March 26, 1893.
Thomas H. McCann, Dec. 8. 1878, died Dec. 12, 1885.
James K. Dickson, Dec. 8, 1878, died Jan. 23, 1893.
William Lee, April 2, 1882, died June 27, 1892.
Thomas H. Stall, April 2, 1892, died Nov. 18, 1906.
George D. Barr, Oct. 6, 1889, died Feb. 7, 1915.
Jacob P. Miller, Oct. 6, 1889, died March 4, 1905.
Hamilton W. Cely, Oct. 6, 1889, died August 1, 1919.
John A Russell, Oct. 6, 1889, still serves.
Martin F. Ansel, Feb. 3, 1892, still serves.
Dr. C. A. Simpson, Feb. 5, 1893, moved April 12, 1908.
George W. Taylor, Feb. 5, 1893, died July 6, 1920.
Thomas L. Woodside, March 24, 1895, died Aug. 4, 1903.
E. L. Hughes, March 24, 1895, still serves.
John B. Miller, Jan. 2, 1898, died Feb. 1913.
C. E. Graham, Jan. 2, 1898. died Aug. 23, 1922.
Thomas C. Stuart, Sept. 27, 1903, died June 27, 1919.
Frank Hammond, Oct. 8, 1905, died Jan. 27, 1914.
Dr. J. C. Brawley, March 3, 1907, moved Sept. 12, 1915.
J. C. Caldwell, March 3. 1907, died June 10, 1919.
J. S. Jennings, March 3, 1907, moved.
Herman Meador, March 3, 1907, died March 6, 1908.
Dr. W. S. Pack, March 3, 1907, died Dec. 12, 1921.
A. A. Pearson, March 3, 1907, still serves.
J. H. Woodside, March 3, 1907, still serves.
Arthur G. Gower, April 26, 1914, still serves.
Johu T. Woodside, April 26, 1914, still serves.
J. S. Plowden, April 26, 1914, still serves.
A. S. Johnstone, April 26, 1914, moved March 12, 1916.
T. W. Barr, April 26, 1914, died Jan. 10, 1915.
H. K. Glenn, April 26, 1914, still serves.
L. L. Barr, Sept. 22, 1918, still serves.
George T. Bryan, Sept. 22, 1918, still serves.
Avery Patton, Sept, 22, 1918, still serves.
R. N. Ward, March 12, 1922, still serves.
J. A. Singleton, March 12, 1922, still serves.
Marion Pack, March 12, 1922, still serves.
D. L. Norris, March 12, 1922, still serves.
M. T. Maxwell, March 12, 1922, moved July 5, 1923.
W. P. Anderson, Jr., March 12, 1922, still serves.
W. H. Keith, March 12, 1922, still serves.
Thomas C. Gower, Jan. 4, 1852, made elder. Sept, 9, 1855.
Logan B. Cline, Jan. 4, 1852, made elder, Sept. 9, 1855.
James McPherson, Sept. 9, 1855, died April 11, 1878.
Joseph R. Dickson, Sept. 9, 1855, ceased to serve.
A. A. Foster, Jan. 12, 1862, made elder, Aug. 2, 1869.
Thosas H. Stall, Aug. 6, 1855, moved May 12, 1867.
W. A. Hudson, Jan. 23, 1868, moved 3rd Ch. Feb. 26, 1863.
James Birnie, Aug. 23, 1868, made elder, Aug. 2, 1869.
John C. Bailey, May 7, 1871, moved 2nd. Ch. May 2, 1892.
J. P. Miller, May 7, 1871, made elder Oct. 6, 1889.
Joseph Allen, Dec. 21, 1873, moved Aug. 26, 1883.
H. W^Cely, Dec. 21, 1873, made elder Oct. 6, 1889.
W. C. Hillhouse, Dec. 21, 1873, moved Aug. 31, 1902.
Dr. J. R. Wilkinson, Oct. 6, 1889, moved 3rd Ch. Feb.
R. E. Allen, Oct. 6, 1889, moved 2nd Ch. March 17, 1892.
Frank Hammond, Oct. 6, 1889, moved 2nd Ch. March 17,
Avery Patton, Oct. 6, 1889, made elder, Sept. 22, 1918.
M. F. Ansel, April 17, 1892, made elder, Feb. 5, 1893.
G. W. Taylor, April 17, 1892, made elder, Feb. 5, 1893.
A. W. Anderson, April 17, 1892, moved Oct. 20, 1907.
T. C. Stuart, April 17, 1892, made elder, June 27, 1903.
A. G. Gower, April 17, 1892, made elder, April 26, 1914.
T. Walter Barr, Feb. 5, 1893, made elder, April 26, 1914.
James Finlay, Feb. 5, 1893, died Jan. 18, 1899.
Harris T. Foe, Feb. 5, 1893, still serves.
Joseph M. Blair, March 24, 1895, moved, Nov. 23, 1896.
John F. Mitchell, March 24, 1895, still serves.
John T. Woodside, March 24, 1895, made elder, April
B. A. Morgan, Jan. 2, 1898, still serves.
L. L. Barr, Feb. 26, 1899, made elder, Sept. 22, 1918.
W. P. Conyers, Feb. 26, 1899, still serves.
R. L. Graham, Feb. 26, 1899, died May 16, 1915.
Robt. K. Adams, Feb. 26, 1899, died Sept. 9, 1922.
Thomas P. Cothran, Oct. 11, 1903, still serves.
Geo. T. Barr, March 3, 1907, moved to Orlanda Fla. Ch.
Crawford Clapp, March 3, 1907, moved, Sept. 17, 1911.
R. N. Tannahill, March, 3, 1907, moved, 4th Church.
R. I. Woodside, March 3, 1907, still serves.
J. D. Woodside, March 3, 1907, moved, Dec. 8, 1912.
J. H. Spencer, May 24, 1914, still serves.
J. M. Palm, May 24, 1914, still serves.
Marian L. Pack, May 24, 1914, made elder, March 12,
A. J. Graham, May 24, 1914, still serves.
Geo. T. Bryan, May 24, 1914, made elder, Sept. 22, 1918.
W. N. Watson, May 24, 1914, still serves.
H. M. Pickett, May 24, 1914, still serves.
C. C. Good, May 31, 1914, still serves.
J. A. McPherson, May 31, 1914, still serves.
Henry T. Mills, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves.
G. P. Campbell, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves.
W. K, Livingston, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves.
F. K. Spratt, Feb. 2, 1919, still serves.
H. Calloway Mims, Feb, 2, 1919, still serves.
REV. THOMAS WYLIE SLOAN, D. D.
At present and for twenty-one years Pastor
Very much interesting information and incident could
and should be given in regard to the Sunday School, but
the time for gathering the data and adequately phrasing it
is not possible.
Verj' soon after the Church was organized, Mr. Gaillard,
established a Sunday School, beginning it in the little
basement of the original Church building. At different
periods, Henry Smith, Lewis Worthington, Dr. John Ander-
son, Charles Chase and A. A. Foster served as superinten-
dents. Mr. Foster became superintendent about 1867 and
served until 1877 when he moved to Spartanburg.
During the Civil War, Maj. Benj. Gass, though not a
member of the Church at the time, nor an officer of the
Sunday School, did heroic work in striving to hold things
together during the absence of all the able bodied younger
men during those trying days.
T. H. Stall succeeded Mr. Foster, serving many years
Mr. Ansel, T. Walter Barr, L. L. Barr, H. W. Cely, John
A. Russell, E. Y. Hillhouse, and many others, were faithful
leaders and workers in the Sunday School.
Probably for more years than any other, was L. B.
Cline, connected with the Sunday School and his interest in
and love for it was always manifest.
The events of the past are worth little unless the knowl-
edge that comes through their telling, enables us to vision
more clearly, in their light, the things that are to be and
inspire us with a greater desire to do the Masters will more
perfectly, in the days to come.
May the sure foundations our parents laid, have reared
upon them by us, as we live, a superstructure so well build-
ed, that it may grow and expand in the years to come, as
our children take up our labors, into an edifice measuring
near up to our ability to erect.
The Church as it at present stands, has been enlarged
to almost double the original size, entirely finished and
The report to the General Assembly 1922-23 shows as
folloM'^s: Elders 19, Deacons 18, Members 1004, Sunday
Contributions : Foreign Missions $8426.00, Home Missions
$4710.00, Christian Education $761.00, S. S. Ext. Pub.
$359.00, Educational Institutions $9936.00, Bible Cause
$68.00, Orphans Homes $1102.00, Current Expenses, etc.
$6783.00, Pastor's Salary $4785.00, Miscellaneous $2861.00.
The Church is contributing now, to the support of the
Rev. and Mrs. Plumer Smith Mutoto, Africa
Rev. and Mrs. Gaston Boyle Ytu, Brazil
Dr. and Mrs. W. McS. Buchanan Kobe, Japan
Dr. and Mrs. A. A. McFayden Hsuchoufu, China
Miss Esther Matthews Mokpo, Korea
These Missionaries went out from our Church into the
service or were long members of this church.
Dr. W. H. Hudson and wife China
Dr. J. R. Wilkinson and wife China
Rev. H. Kerr Taylor China
Rev. Geo. W. Taylor Brazil
Hev. J. Fairman Preston Korea
The following letter was received by the Pastor after the
historical sketch of Mr. Gower had gone to the press, and
is published here for the interesting information it contains.
Spartanburg, S. C,
September 28, 1923.
Rev. T. W. Sloan, D. D.,
Greenville, S. C.
Dear Sir :
I see in the Christian Observer that the First Church
will, in October, celebrate its seventy-fifth anniversary.
I suppose there are few, if any, left who know anything
about the beginning of Presbyterianism in Greenville. I
thought, therefore, that a few facts about it might be of in-
terest to you. Mrs. Sarah E. Stone, the mother of Presby-
terianism in Greenville, was raised an Episcopalian, her
father, Judge Gantt, and his family being members of the
Episcopal Church. Mrs. Stone married a Presbyterian, and
she desired that her children should know and belong to
the Presbyterian Church. When she moved to Greenville,
it was natural, as there was no Presbyterian Church there,
that she should attend the Episcopal Church with her rela-
tives. Mrs. Stone was an unusually bright and intelligent
woman, and, being a religious one, she took an active part
in church work. When the Rev. C. C. Pinckney was rector
of Christ Church, she was for sometime the superintendent
of the Sunday School. Mr. Pinckney told us that she made
a fine efficient one. As her children were growing up,
she felt the greatest desire that they should attend their
father's church. With this hope in view, she wrote a letter
to Synod or Presbytery, I have forgotten w^hich court of the
Church it was, and asked that a minister be sent for the
summer months to Greenville, promising that he should re-
ceive a certain sum of money. When her letter was read,
one of the ministers said, "It is useless to send a Presby-
terian minister to Greenville, for there are no Presbyterians
in tlie village; it is only a woman's idea." Mr. Humphries,
the oldest minister present, arose and answered: ''Take
heed that you do not fight against God. Mrs. Stone has not
asked for a dollar from the Synod, but only that a minister
be sent to preach." His voice carried the day, and Mr,
S. S. Gaillard was sent to Greenville. He preached in a small
building, called "The Lyceum". He won the affection and
respect of the entire community. Mrs. Stone was now anx-
ious to- establish a church, but where were the Presbyterians
to come from? There were no men to furnish a Session. I
believe there was one man, but a church must have an Elder
and a Deacon. At that time, there was living, some miles
in the country, a Presbyterian family. I think the name
was Adams. The head of the family was interested, and
was asked if he would be willing to bring his letter to the
Greenville church, if one was built. This he consented to
do, and the church was established with its Session.
Mrs. Stone and her family were indefatigable in their
efforts to promote Presbyterianism in Greenville, and the
four churches now in the city are the blessing of God upon
her work, the result of one woman's persevering; efforts.
Please remember this was at a time before women took the
active part in church work that they do now.
I trust I have not taken up too much of your time by this
Mrs. H. B. Lucas.
': ,n ■ <.' ' / r .cu^