This is a digital copy of a book that was preserved for generations on library shelves before it was carefully scanned by Google as part of a project
to make the world's books discoverable online.
It has survived long enough for the copyright to expire and the book to enter the public domain. A public domain book is one that was never subject
to copyright or whose legal copyright term has expired. Whether a book is in the public domain may vary country to country. Public domain books
are our gateways to the past, representing a wealth of history, culture and knowledge that's often difficult to discover.
Marks, notations and other maiginalia present in the original volume will appear in this file - a reminder of this book's long journey from the
publisher to a library and finally to you.
Google is proud to partner with libraries to digitize public domain materials and make them widely accessible. Public domain books belong to the
public and we are merely their custodians. Nevertheless, this work is expensive, so in order to keep providing tliis resource, we liave taken steps to
prevent abuse by commercial parties, including placing technical restrictions on automated querying.
We also ask that you:
+ Make non-commercial use of the files We designed Google Book Search for use by individuals, and we request that you use these files for
personal, non-commercial purposes.
+ Refrain fivm automated querying Do not send automated queries of any sort to Google's system: If you are conducting research on machine
translation, optical character recognition or other areas where access to a large amount of text is helpful, please contact us. We encourage the
use of public domain materials for these purposes and may be able to help.
+ Maintain attributionTht GoogXt "watermark" you see on each file is essential for in forming people about this project and helping them find
additional materials through Google Book Search. Please do not remove it.
+ Keep it legal Whatever your use, remember that you are responsible for ensuring that what you are doing is legal. Do not assume that just
because we believe a book is in the public domain for users in the United States, that the work is also in the public domain for users in other
countries. Whether a book is still in copyright varies from country to country, and we can't offer guidance on whether any specific use of
any specific book is allowed. Please do not assume that a book's appearance in Google Book Search means it can be used in any manner
anywhere in the world. Copyright infringement liabili^ can be quite severe.
About Google Book Search
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and to make it universally accessible and useful. Google Book Search helps readers
discover the world's books while helping authors and publishers reach new audiences. You can search through the full text of this book on the web
at |http: //books .google .com/I
BY MISS ELLA MILLS.
IVlANCHESXKR, N. H.
MANCHESTER HISTORIC ASSOCIATION,
icS //53c;, , ,-
0s^cuAJ*tJUA..cjL. *< t 9yi
Sketch of Dunbarton, N. H.
BV ELLA MILLS.
Dunbarton is a to^tk *'«et upon a bill which Cannot be hid.''
Th€ highest point of land is on the farm of Benjamin Lord>
north of the Centeri and is 779 feet above the sea level. From that
spot, and from many other places nearly as high, the views of
hiils and mountains are beautiful and grand beyond descHpttoa.
The twin Uncanoonucs are near neighbors On the sOath^
Monadnocki farther off on the south-west, and Kenrsarge twenty
miles to the north west. On the northern horizon are seen
Mount Washington and other peaks of the White Mountains.
The longest hill in town is the mile-long Mills hili^ and mid*
way on its slope live descendants oC Thomas Mills, one of the
first settlers. Among other hills are Duncanowett, Hammond^
Tenney, Grapevine, Harris, Legache^ and Prospecc Hills.
No rivers run through the town, but there are numerous
brooks where trout fishing is pursued with more or less success*
No body of water is large enough to be called a lake, but
Gorham Fond is a beautiful sheet of water and on its banks
picnics are held. Stark's and Kimball's Ponds have furnished
water power for mills, the latter, owned by Willie F. Paige^
is still m use. Long Pond, in the south part of the town, was
th6 scene of a tragedy irt tS;^, wheti Moses Merrill, an officer
at the State Industrial School, Manchester, was drowned in an
ineffectual attempt to save ih inmate of that institutioti.
One portion of the south part of the town is called Skeeti^r-
bdfo, antnher Mountalona^ so named by Jam6s Rogers, one of
the first settlers, from the place in Ireland from whence he
2 MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECTIONS.
came.^ East of the Center is Guinea, so called because some
negroes once lived there. The village of North Dunbarton is
also called Pao;e*s Corner ; and not far away to the eastward is
a hill known as Onestack, because one large stack of hay stood
there for many years. A brook bears the same name.
Those who know Dunbarton only in the present can hardly
realize that 1450 people ever lived there at one time, but that,
was the census in 1820. The first census, taken 1767, was
271. , In 1840 it was 1067 ; in 1890, only 523. The last census
gave about 575.
The first settlement was made in 1740^ by James Rogers and
Joseph Putney on the land known as the ** Great Meadows,''
now owned by James M. Bailey. They were driven away by
the Indians for a time. A stone now marks the spot where
stood the only apple tree spared by the Indians. Probably the
first boy born in town belonged to one of these families. James
Rogers was shot by Ebenezer Ayer^ who mistook him in the dark
for a bear, as he wore a bearskin coat. He was the father of
Major Robert Rogers, celebrated as the leader of the rauger
corps of the French and Indian wars.
About 1 75 1 William Stinson, John Hogg, and Thomas Mills
settled in the west part of the town. Sarah, daughter of Thom-
as Mills, was the first girl born in town. Her birthplace was a
log cabin on the farm now owned by John C. and George F.
For fourteen years the town was called Starkstown in honor
of Archibald Stark, one of the first land owners (though not a
resident), and father of General John Stark. In 1765 the
town was incorporated, and was named, with a slight change,
1. The early wi iters penprnlly crcflfied JnmcR Rrpprs with heingof Srolrh-
Irish iiniirily, owin^ lo thu fact ihlit hu \v.i8 confiiAcd with anot^rr perrton of tho
samu name wlio livMl in J^umloiulcrry. (Sim* l>ruinm«Mii|'t» ''J.imes Ko'^'cro ot'
Dunbarton aiui J.'imB6 Kojrers uf L«>niion(lurry.") Thu DnnWarton liotrfrrf was un-
ftonhteMly or l^nulish • irth, in winch casn the term " MoimtHlona," or "Monte*
lonv.*' must have had some other UerivaUou than tliat commonly ascribed to it.
2. Probahly 1730. and tho R >;;Qr8 f imtly at least cime (Vom Massachusetts.
Thin with thn Putney or Fudney fatuity seem to liave been located lu the winter of
18391840. — IGmTOB.
SKETCH OF DUNBARTON, N, H. 8
for Dumbarton^ in Scotland near which place Stark and other
emigrants had lived.
Dunbarton was one of the towns taken frond Hillsborough
County to form the County of Merrimack. Its centennial was
duly celebrated and attended by a vast concourse of invited
guests and towns people. A report of its proceedings was com-
piled by Rev. Sylvanus Hayward. Though small in area and
population, Dunbarton occupies a large place in the hearts of
its sons and daughters. However dear our adopted homes may
become, we still feel that *' whatever skies above us rise the
hills, the hills are home.''
At the centennial Rev. George A. Putnam paid a glowing
tribute to his native town, saying : ** Dunbarton is one of the
most intelligent and best educated communities in New Eng.
land. I think it will be hard to find another place where, in
proportion to its population, so many young men have been
liberally educated and have entered some of the learned pro-
fessions, where so many young men and women have become
first class teachers of common schools. My own observation
has been altogether in favor of Dunbarton in this particular.
And it is clear as any historic fact the superior education of
Dunbarton*s children has been largely due to her religious insti-
tutions and Christian teachers."
That the town is also honored by her neighbors is shown by
the following instances : Many years ago it was said that a
Dartmouth student from an adjoining town, when asked from
what town he came^ answered : ** From the town next to Dun-
barton." Recently the chairman of the school board in Goff%-
t9wn, in his annual report, compared the town favorably to
Dunbarton with regard to the number of college graduates.
Very soon after the permanent settlement of the town, a
committe was appointed to build a meeting-house at Dunbar-
ton Center. It was finished previous to 1767, and stood in the
middle of the common. Before that time it is related that
3. From Diiiiibrition, the ancient nnmo glvon to a fort raised by the Brittont on
the north bauli of ihe ClyUe la early times. - £i>itob.
4 MANCH^STlill MISTOWIC OOLhMCtiOVS.
** Mr. McGr^^ preaelied in the 0|>en air, on the spot immi^ con-
secrated as the resting place of the dead/' This ftrst bdildln;
vttts a k>w, frame structure, without pews, with seats of rough
planks resting^ on chestnut logs, and a putpk constructed of
rough hoards. It was replaced in about twenty years hy the
buUding J90w itnown as the Town House. Tfcis was usad only
four political purposes after the erection of the third church o«
the west side of the highway.
About thirty years ago the interior of the old buitding was
greatly changed, the upper part being made into a hall whiie
the square pews were removed from the lower part, only the
high putpit remaining. A selectmen's room was finished in one
corner, and in 189s, a room for the public library. The outside
reoaains practically unchanged.
The Rocky Hill Church at Amesbury, Mass., much like this
at Dunbarton, is still used in summer only. There is no way of
warming it, and people of the present day would nqt endure
the hardships their ancestors bore without a murmur. The
third church was built in 1836 on the site of a dwelling house
owned by William Stark ; in 1884 it was remodelled, the pews
modernized and the ceiling frescped.
The vestry formerly stood on the opposite of tho coniiaQa'
and contained two rooms ; prayer meotiogs were held in the
lower roonu while up stairs was the only hall in tawa* Thero
were held the sin^^ing schools^ aad the lyceuoi of \fXQ% ago % also
several fall terms of high schools ; aoio^g the teachers wero
Mark Baile^y, William £. Bunten^aad Henry M. Putney. More
than twenty-five years ago the vestry was removed to its pireseut
location near the church and made more convenient and attractive*
For about nineteen years the church had no settled paator.
In 1789 Walter Harris was calledj, and was ordained August a6.
He preached more than forty years- Every man in town was re-
quired to contribute to his support for a tioo^e until some of the
other religious societies rebelled. The " History of EHinbarton "
says : *' Dr. Harris appropriated the pvoprialofs' gnxkt for the
•KXfCil or IWWBAItfCW, v. H.
fmi «9ttM mionler* ainl locat€<l UoMielf m lh9 mniiUrifil kA.
Hft also^ by a vote of tht town, obtained ike use eC th« pa?9M-
99t i^t, «itli an addiiion of 9«yefity poiuida it year» «Mr>half to
b« paid ii» oaab* tte ott^er in coro and rye.'* Hia (arm itm
in a baaitiilul localion s^outb oi tko center, and waa afiervarda
owned for many years by the late D^aeoo Joho Paife ; it is
now the piopery ot hia aoa, Lewia Paige.
In respect to his farm, buifdings, fences. Dr. Harris was a
model for the town. Two men once working for him were try-
ing to move a heavy Yog. He totd them how to manage accord-
ing to philosophy ; finally one said : *' Well, Dr. Harris, if you
and your philosophy wilt take hold of that end of the log while
Jim and I take this end, I think we can move it.''
Dr. Harris was sometimes called the " Broad asce and sledge-
hammer of the New Hampshire ministry/' He was a man of
more than ordinary intellectual endowments, and graduated
from Dartmouth College with high honors. Prof. Charles G.
Burnham said in his address at ttie Centennial : '* The influ-
ence of the life aiid preaching of Dr. Harris is manifest today
in every department of your material prosperity, as well as upon
the moral and religious character of the people, and will be for
Vu Harris wa» disoMssed July ?, 1830, and died December
^&« 1^43* His sttcoeasor, Rev, Jobn M. Putnam, was inauirUtd
the day Dr. Harris was dismissed ; bocb w^re FeosaFkable e;^-^
tesnporaneous speakers. Mr. PutnasA was called one of tha
best platfovm speakers in bis profe«sioa ia tbe State*
JU tbe dose of bis pastorate he went to reaide with bis sea at
Yarmoiith, Maioa ; be died in Elyria, Obio, in 1S71. He wae
disaiiaaed tbe day bis sucoessor, Syivaous Hay ward, was o«^
dained. Thus for more than 77 years tba ebuircb was not far
one day without a settled pastor. Mn Hayward was bora in
Cilsum, N. H., and has wrtiteo a biatory of his native town ;
he was dismissed April, 1866. His sncceasova were Reva.
Gaarge I. Bard» William S. Spear, who ia now a lawjper ki
6 MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECTIONS.
Boston, and at present Secretary of the Spanish War Claim
Commission, James Wells now deceased, Tilton C. H. Bou-
ton, grandson of Rev. Dr. Nathaniel Bouton, for many years
pastor of the North Church, Concord, N. H., George Sterling,
Avery K. Gleason, and William A. Bushee. During Mr,
Bouton's pastorate a parsonage was built in the north part of
the village on land given by Deacon Daniel H. Parker.
The first deacons were chosen in 1790, and were James
Clement and Edward Russell. Others were Samuel Burnham,
David Alexander, John Church, Matthew S. McCurdy, John
Wilson, John Mills^ Samuel Burnham (a namesake of the first
of the name), who with Daniel H. Parker served for many
years. They were succeeded by Frederic L. Ireland and
Frank C. Woodbury, the present incumbents.
Church discipline was very strict in ye olden time. What
wpuld the people of the present day think of being called to
account for such a small matter as this? "A complaint was pre-
sented to the church by one brother against another for un-
Christian-like behavior in suffering himself 10 be carried in a
light and vain manner upon a man's shoulders to the length of
a quarter of a mile. The church accepted the complaint, and
summoned the brother before it. He appeared, confessed his
fault and was pardoned."
Deacon McCurdy was noted for his strictness in keeping the
Sabbath. No food could be cooked in the house on that
day, and no work done at the barn except milking and feeding
the stock. He once, however, mistook the day of the week,
and took a grist to mill on Sunday, while his Wife began the
the Saturday's baking. On arriving at the mill, he, of course,
found it closed, and on going to the miller's house, he learned
his mistake. He was so shocked that he would not leave his
grist, but carried it back home.
The Baptist Church was organized in Mountalona in 1828.
The first meeting house was built by Aaron Elliot, and Isaac
Westcott was the first pastor. In the Spring of 1847 meetings
were held at the Center; Rev. John W. Poland (since fa-
SKETCH OF DUNBAkTON, N. H. 7
mous as the maker of *' White Pine Compound ") preached dur-
ing that season. The next year a church was built.
The pastors were Revs. H. D. Hodges (who, with Rev.
John Putnam^ compiled a grammar), Samuel Cook, Horace
Eaton, Jesse M. Coburn, Washington Coburn, John Peacock
(as a supply), Stephen Pillsbury, Timothy B Eastman, Elias
Whittemore, Samuel Woodbury, Adoniram J Hopkins, Dr.
Lucien Hayden, J. J. Peck, Charles Willand, and the present in-
cumbent, S. H. Buffam. This list may not be exactly correct.
At intervals no services have been held. Nathaniel Wheeler,
John O. Merrill and John Paige were deacons for many years.
In 1899 the house was painted and otherwise improved.
The old house at Mountalona was used at times by the Bap-
tists. Methodist services were also held there. It was burned
about seventeen years ago.
A Universalist society was formed in 1830 by Nathan Gutter-
son, Joshua F. Hoyt, Silas Burnham, Alexander Gilchrist
and others and services were held in the old Congrega-
tional Church. Rev. Nathan R. Wright preached here for four
years and lived in a house near the late John C. Ray*s which
was burned about 30 years ago. It was afterwards known as the
Hope house from Samuel B Hope, one of the owners. Mr. Wright
was the father of Hon. Carroll D. Wright who was barn in 1840.
The family removed from town when he was three years of age.
In 1864 or 1865 Episcopal Church services were held by
clergymen from St. Paul's School in school houses in the west
part of the town, afterwards in the Hope house. In the summer
of 1866 the cornerstone of the church was laid on land given by
the Misses Stark. The money to build the church was collected
by their grand neice. Miss Mary Stark, a devoted churchwoman,
who died in 1881. The church is a lasting memorial of her. It
is a beautiful building with a seating capacity of no. The
fine chancel window was given by the father of the Rector of
St. Paul's School. The church was consecrated in 1868, and
named the Church of St John the Evangelist. For abDut four-
teen years the services were in charge of Rev. Joseph H. Coit,
8 MAnencitM Rtef6itYe coL&i^TKms.
tht pmrnA. ftctor <^ St. FAnl'ft SehMl. fit #m succ^d^d lyf
Rev. Edward M. P^fker, it mxstet df the ^hool^ wfio with the
as«idta«te of Mr. Witltftm W. Flint, litf prenehtr, h^kls sef\fites
in Dutibart^^ And Exit Vft^tt. In t8$o the ehuit^h #as tik^sn
do^wn and r^^rect^d in M^nh Dufibai'td^ on land given by
David S^tfdAi 6oath of th« schoot^hoirse^ In front of a beautiful
pine gtdv^, A strti^ oC rtdedieation was held deeemb^ i$,
1S90. Prank B. Milld wa^ organist and kader of the singing
with only a aHorc interval until his removal from town in tS^j^
Th« oi^nisi at iht present time is Miss Sara R. Perkins.
After th« removal of the ehtirc^h, a brass tablet in memory of
the Misses lla(?iet and Charlotte Stark was placed therein by
Rev. Joseph If. Coit.
Danbartnn has had <«iany fine musidans within her bordsra.
Col. Samuel B. Hammond led the singing in the Congregatidna)
Church for a long term of years« resigning in 1875. '^^^ ^^^^^
was formerly larga and numbered among Its meifibers Mrs.
Elfiabeth (Whipple) Brown« her daughter, Mrs. Agnes French,
Olive CaldJrell, now Mrs. Morrill of Minnesota, the daughters
of th« late Deacon Parked Mrs. Harris \yilson, Nathaniel T.
Safford, William S» Twiss, and others.
Before the advant of the cabinet organ instrumental mti^ic
was furnished b/ a double bass viol played by Harris Wilson,
a single bass-viol played by Sben Kimball, a melodeon played
by Andrew Twiss^ and one or two violins. When the churth
was remodeled the organ and choir wefe removed from the gal-
lery to a place beside the pulpit. Mrs. Mary (Wilson) Bunten
is now organist. Por several years a quartettei consisting
of William S« Twiss, Frank B. Mills, Horace Caldwell, and
Frederic L. Ireland aang most acceptably on many occasi'ins,
especially furnishing appropriate music at funerals, until the
removal from town of Mr. Twiss in 1834. At varioas times
signing schools were taught by Eben Kimball, Joseph C. Cram
of Deeriield, *' Unde Ben '* Davis of Concord, and at Page's
Corner^ by Frank B. Mills.
The firsc SdMol hMsts ifl town were few and tkt between,
SKETCH OF DUNBARTON, N. H. 9
with no free transportation as practiced at the present time.
Hon. Albert S. Batchellor, of Littleton, in searching the col'
umns of a file of old newspapers recently, came across the fol-
lowing which will be of interest to Dunbarton people :
" Dunbarton May ye 15, 1787.
We the subscribers Promise to pay to Mrs. Sarah Ayers
Young three shillings per week for five Months to Teach school
seven or Eight Hours Each Day Except Sunday & Saturday
half a day, to be paid in Butter at half Pifterreen per lb. flax
the same or Rie at 4 shillings, Corn at 3s. Each. Persons to
pay their Proportion to what scollers they sign for Witness Our
Hands. Thomas Hannette 2 Scollers Thomas Husfe i Jame-
son Galley 2 Andrew fofter i John Bunton 3 John Fulton ^ "
Before 1805 Dunbarton had three school districts. The first
house was at the Center. Rev. Abraham W. Burnharo, of
Rindge, in response to the toast, "Our Early Inhabitants/' at
the Centennial, said : *' My brother Samuel, when so young
that my mother was actually afraid the bears would catch him,
walked two miles to school." This same boy was the first col-
lege graduate from town, in the class of 1795. Robert Hogg,
called Master Hogg, was the first male teacher, and Sarah
Clement the first female teacher.
Another teacher of the long ago was Master John Fulton,
who lived on the farm now owned by John W. Farrar. Ii»>
those days pupils often tried to secure a holiday by '^ barring
out *' the teacher on New Year's Day. More than once
Master John Fulton found himself in th|s situation. On one
occasion he went to one of the neighbors where he borrowed a
tall white hat and a long white coat with several capes.
Thus disguised he mounted a white horse and rode rapidly to
the school house. The unsuspecting pupils rushed to the'
door, when, quick as thought, Master Fulton sprang from the
horse, entered the school house and called the school to order.
At another time, while teaching in a private house in Bow, find«
ing himself " barred out," he entered a chamber window by
a ladder, removed some loose boards from the floor (the
house being unfinished) and descended amc^ig his astonished
10 MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECTIONS. "
pupils. Dr. Harris regularly visited the schools, and catechised
the children ; he prepared many young men for college and
directed the theological studies of those fitting for the ministry.
Many clergymen of the town served on the school committee.
Districts increased in number till there were eleven. In 1867 the
town system was adopted, and the number of schools reduced
to four or five. Notwithstanding the short terms, the long dis-
tances, and lack of text-books (now provided by the town), Dun-
barton has produced many fine scholars, and has provided
a large number of teachers for her own and other schools.
I think no family has furnished as many educated members
as the Burnhams. A short time prior to 1775 Deacon Samuel
Burnham came from Essex ^ Mass., to the south part of Dunbar-
ton. Of his thirteen children, four sons graduated at Dartmouth
College. In 1865 fourteen of his grand and great grand child-
ren were college graduates. Not all of them lived in Dunbar-
ton, but Samuel's son, Bradford, and most of his children lived
here. Henry Larcom, son of Bradford, was a successful teach-
er and land surveyor ; he represented the town in the Legisla-
ture and was also State Senator. The last years of his life
were passed in Manchester where he died in 1893;*, His son,
Henry £ben, is a lawyer in Manchester, and was for a time
Judge of Probate. He was born November 8, 1844, in the Dr.
Harris house, and is an honored son of Dunbarton. He was
elected United States Senator by the Legislature of 1901, for
the term of six years and succeeded Senator William E. Chandler.
Hannah, eldest daughter of Bradford Burnham, married
Samuel Burnham from Essex, Mass ; she died in November,
1901. Her two daughters were teachers for many years ; the
younger, Annie M., taught in Illinois and Oregon until recently.
Two sons were college graduates, Josiah, ai Amherst in 1867;
William H., at Harvard in 1882. The latter is instructor in
Clark University, Worcester, and a writer and lecturer of great
ability. A daughter of his brother, Samuel G. Burnham of
St. Louis, graduated from Washington University with high
honors, ranking second in a class of eighty-two.
SKETCH OF DUNBARTON, N. H. 11
Three sons of Henry Putney were students at Dartmouth
College, though the second son, Frank, did not graduate,
leaving college to enter the army in 1861.
Thirty or more of the sons of Dunbarton graduate^ at Dart-
mouth College, while ten or twelve others took a p^Ftlal pourse.
John Gould, Jr., and Abel K. Wilson, died at coMe'j^'i Three
graduated at Wabash College, Indiana, two at Union College,
Schenectady, N. Y., and one each at Yale, Harvard, and Am-
herst Colleges, and Brown University. It is said that at one
time there were more students from Dunbarton in Dartmouth
College than from any other town in the State.
There have been several graduates from Normal Schools,
Ralph Ireland and Ethel Jameson from the school at Bridge-
water, Mass. The former is now teaching in Gloucester, Mass.,
and the latter in Boston, Mass. Ella and Leannette L. Mills
(the latter the daughter of Leroy R. Mills), graduated from the
school at Salem, Mass. Lydia Marshall, now holding a gov-
ernment position in Washington, D. C, Mary Caldwell (now
Mrs. Aaron C. Barnard), and Lizzie Bunten (now Mrs. James
P. Tuttle, of Manchester), took a partial or whole course at the
school at Plymouth, N. H. Louise Parker and Mary A. Stin-
son graduated at Kimball Academy, Meriden, N.'H*. Mnny
others have been students at McCollom Institute Mount 'Ver-
non, Pembroke, and other academies, and several have taken
the course at the Concord High School. Among the teachers of
the long ago may be named Antoinette Putnam, Lizzie and Ann
Burnham, Jane Stinson, Nancy Stinson, Sarah and Marianne -
Parker, and Susan and Margaret Holmes. The list is (00 long
for further mention.
Among college graduates who made teaching their life work
were William Parker, who died in Winchester, Illinois, in 1865 »
Caleb Mills, who was connected with VVabash College, Indiana,
from 1833 until his death in 1879. He was greatly interested
in the cause of education, and was known as the father of pub-
lic schools in Indiana ; Joseph Gibson Hoyt, who was called
the most brilliant son Dunbarton ever educated ; he taught sev«
12 MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECTIONS.
eral years in Phillips Academy, Exeter, and was Chancellor of
►Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, taking charge Feb-
ruary 4, 1859 ; inaugurated October 4, 1859 ; died November 26,
1862 ; Charles G. Burnham, orator at the Centennial, in 1865,
who died in Montgomery, Alabama, in 1866 ; Mark Bailey, who
has taught elocution at Yale since 1855, besides spending some
weeks of each year in former times at Dartmouth, Princeton, and
other placed. Samuel Burnham, the first graduate, should have
been mentioned earlier. He was principal of tht academy at
Derry for many years ; William E. Bunten taught in Atkinson,
Ni H., Marblehead, Mass., and in New York, where he died in
1897 ; Matthew S. McCurdy, grandson and namesake of Dea-
con McCurdy, is instructor at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.
Although not a college student, John, brother of Thomas and
James F. Mills, spent many years in teaching in Ohio and West
iVirginia; he died in 1879. Among those who have been both
teachers and journalists are Amos Hadley of Concord, Henry
M. Putney, now on the editorial staff of the Manchester Daily
and Weekly Mirror \ William A. (brother of Henry M.) who
died ^ome years ago in Fairmount, Nebraska ; and John B.
Mills, now at Grand Rapids, Michigan. George H. Twiss, of
Columbus, Ohio^ has been a teacher, superintendent of schools,
and proprietor of a bookstore.
Oi the native clergymen, Leonard S. Parker is probably the
oldest now living. He has held several pastorates, and is now
assistant pastor of the Shepard Memorial Church, Cambridge,
Mass. One of the early college graduates was Isaac Garvin,
son of Sam Garvin, whose name was a byword among his
neighbors ; " as shiftless as Sam Garvin " was a common say-
ing. Isaac obtained his education under difficulties which
would have discouraged most men, and at first even Dr. Harris
thinking it not worth wihle to help him. He probably studied
divinity with Dr. Harris, and was ordained in the Congrega-
tional Church, but late in life took orders in the Episcopal
Church in New York. There were two Rev. Abraham Burn-
hams^ uncle and nephew, and Rev. Amos W. Burnham, whose
• • .
SKSTCH 09* DyN6ART0^f, ^f. H. 13
only pastorate was Rindge where he preached forty-six years.
Thomas Jameson held pastorates in Scarborough and Gorham^
Maine ; he was blind during his last years. Charles H. Mar-
shall preached in various places in Indiana, and died nearly thir-
ty years ago. Ephraim O. Jameson held several pastorates ; he
is now retired and living in Boston. He has compiled several
genealogies and town histories. Rev. George A. Putnam, son
of the second pastor of the church in Dunbarton, preached for
several years in Yarmouth, Maine, then went to Milfbury, Mass.,
in 187 1, where he itill resides — an unusually long pastorate
in these times. John P. Mills is preaching in Michigan.
Of the native Baptist ministers were Hosea Wheeler, Harri-
son C. Page, who died at Newton Theological Seminary jiist
before the completion of his course, and who gave promiise of
great ability; and the brothers Joel and Christie WHeeler who
.eqtered the ministry without a collegiate education^ and both
preached in Illinois.
Though the people of Dunbarton are too peaceable and hon-
est to need the services of a lawyer, at least a dozen young men
entered the legal profession. One of the earliest college
graduates, Jeremiah Stinson, having studied law, opened an
ofSce in his native town, but devoted the most of his time to
agriculture. He met with an accidental death at the age of
thirty-six year?. Among those who continued to practice law
were John Burnham in Hillsborough, John Jameson in Maine,
John Tenney in Metbuen, Mass., Judge Joseph M. Cavis in
California, David B. Kimball in Salem, Mass., Newton H. Wil-
son in Duluth, Minn., and Henry £. Burnham in Manchester.
Only the three last named are now living.
The people of Dunbarton are proud of the fact that there
has been no resident physician in town for more than forty
years. The last, a Dr. Gilson, was here for a short time only.
Dr. Dugall was probably the first; while others were Doctors
Symnes Sawyer, Clement^ Mighill, Stearns, and Merrill.
True Morse was a seventh son ; so was Rev. Mr. Putnam',
but he refused to use his supposed powers. Among the native
14 MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECTIONS.
physicians were Abram 6. Story, who died not long since in
Manchester, William Ryder, John L. Colby, Gilman Leach,
David P. Goodhue, a surgeon in the Navy, John and Charles
Mills. The two last named practiced in Champaign, Illinois,
and were living there when last heard from. William Caldwell
is well remembered as a veterinary surgeon.
Of dentists we may name John B. Prescott, D. D. S., of
Manchester, a graduate of Pennsylvania Dental College, and
the late Dr. Edward Ryder of Portsmouth.
Nothwithstanding this exodus of professional men and others,
many good and wise men made the place their home. Deacon
John Mills was town treasurer for thirty-five years, selectman
twenty-two years, and representative eight years. He built the
house afterwards owned by his son-in law. Deacon Daiiiel H.
Parker, who was also a good citizen ; as Justice of the Peace,
he transacted much law business and settled many estates ; he
held many town offices, was a thrifty farmer, and accumulated a
Henry Putney, of the fourth generation from the first settler
of that name, was another strong man, who with Deacon Par-
ker and Eliphalet Sargent forme;d a board of selectmen in the
troubled limes of the Civil War, that did good service for the
town. His only daughter is the wife of Nahum J. Bachelder,
secretary of State Board of Agriculture. He had six sons, five
of whom are now living.
The name of Oliver Bailey has been known in town for several
generations. The present representative of that name is one
of the elder men of the town, a thrifty farmer, and was formerly
in company with his son, George O. Baile}^ a cattle dealer on a
large scale. His brother, James M. Bailey, still owns part of
the paternal acres. Their father, Oliver Bailey, removed late
in life, to Bow Mills, where he died in 1880. John C. Ray
owned a beautiful home in the west part of the town ; he was
superintendent of ths State Industrial School in Manchester
for about twenty-five years before his death in 1898.
The brothers, Captain Charles and William C. Stinson, were
SKETCH OF DUNBARTON, N. H. 15
wealthy farmers in the south part of the town ; the former re-
moved to Goffstown, and his farm is owned by Philander Lord.
The house is probably one of the oldest in town. The last
years of William C. Slinson were spent in Manchester. Harris
E. Ryder was the first Master of Stark Grange which was or-
ganized in October, 1874. His buildings were burned in^iSjs,
and not long afterwards he located in Bedford, where he died.
His brother, Charles G. B. Ryder, served on the school com-
mittee for several years. He removed to Manchester many
years ago and was engaged in the real estate business for many
years ; he died there several years ago. The buildings on his
farm were burned in July, 1899.
Major Caleb, son of General John Stark, built a house in
the west part of the town which is still owned by the family
and is filled with interesting relics. His son, Caleb, was the
author of the " History of Dunbarton," published in i860. He
and two unmarried sisters spent much time here, the last survi-
vor, Miss Charlotte, dying in 1889, aged about ninety years.
She was a fine specimen of the old time gentlewoman, much
given to hospitality. The place is now owned in part by her
grand nephew, Charles F. M. Stark, a descendant on the
mother's side from Robert Morris^ the great financier of Revo*
lutionary times. His only son, John McNiel Stark, graduated
from Holderness School, June, 1900. The Stark cemetery is a
beautiful and well kept resting place of the dead. Besides
Stark, the names of Winslow, Newell, and McKinstry are seen
on the headstones. Benjamin Marshall, and his son, Enoch,
were prominent men in town. Many other names should be
mentioned, but space forbids.
The daughters of Dunbarton are not less worthy of mention
than her sons. Some of the teachers have already been men-
tioned^ Another was Marianne, sister of Deacon Parker, who
married a Doctor Dascomb and wient with him to Oberlin, Ohio,
where he became professor of chemistry in Oberlin College.
She was lady principal. It was said that there were two saints
in the Oberlin calendar, President Finney and Mrs. Dascomb.
16 ^- MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECTIONS^
Three of h^r sisters married ministers. Ann married Rev:
Isaac Bird, and went with him tp Turkey as a missionary; and
Emily married Rev. James Kimball of Oakham, Mass. ; and
Martha, Rev. Thomas Tenney ; one of her daughters is the wife
of the late Rev. Cyrus Hamlin. Two of Deacon Parker's
daughters are the wives of ministers. Louise is Mrs. Lucien H.
Frary of Pomona, California, and Abby is Mrs. John L. R.
Trask of Springfield, Mass. Dr. Trask has been for many
years trustee of Mt. Holyoke College.
Mary, daughter of Deacon John Mills, married Rev. Mr.
William Patrick of Boscawen ; Dr. Mary Mills Patrick, President
of the American College for Girl sat Constantinople, is her step-
daughter and namesake. Sarah, daughter of Benjamin Mar-
shall, married Caleb Mills who studied theology, though his
life work was teaching. Mary F., daughter of Deacon John
Paige, married Rev. David Webster, now of Lebanon, Maine.
Mary L., daughter of John Kimball of Mliford, formerly of Dun-
barton, has been for more than ten years the wife of Rev. Arthur
Remington, now in Philadelphia. Perhaps the latest addition
to the list is Hannah C, eldest daughter of Horace Caldwell,
who, January, 1899, married Rev. Avery A. K. Gleason, then
pastor of the Congregational Church in Dunbarton, now Rayn-
Mary A., daughter of Captain Charles Stinson, married
Charles A. Pillsbury, known as the flour king of Minneapolis^
who died more than a year ago.
Though the rough and rocky, soil is poorly adapted to culti-
vation, Dunbarton is, and always .has been, emphatically a
farming town. Yet a long list of mechanics might be given.
Carpenters, blacksmiths, painters and masons stall ply their
trades, but the mill wrights, shoemakers, tanners, coopers, tail-
ors, tailoresses, and pump makers are people of the past. Less
than fifty 3'ears ago a tannery was in operation at the place
owned by Benjamin Fitts, and a good sized pond covered the
space opposite the house of Justus Lord. It was used on sev-
eral occasions by the Baptists, ^$ .a place of immersiom • •
SKETCH OF DUNPARTOK, N. H. 17
WilHam Tenney was the carpepter who built the town hall;
Captain Samuel Kini ball, the present Congregational Church,
and many dwelling-hpuses. Others were the work of Johq
Leach. The man now living who has done more of this work
than any other is John D. Bunten, whose work has always been
done in a thorough manner.
The stone blacksmith shop^of Jonathan Waite has been use4
by three generations, now only for the family work. John B.
Ireland still uses the shop of his father, while Lauren P. Had-
ley's specialty is iron work on wagons. During the .past few
years much timber has been removed by the aid of portable
The first store in town was kept by Major Caleb Stark ait
Page's Corner. He had several successors, among them being
Jeremiah Page and John Kimball. At the Center I find, in the
'* History of Dunbarton/' a long list of store-keepers, among
whom was David Tenney, one of whose ledgers is still pre-
served, where the entries of New England rum sold to the most
respectable citizens are as numerous as tea and coffee now-
Deacon Burnham kept the store for many years, and later
Thomas Wilson and his son Oliver kept the store. The lajtter
also did considerable business as a photographer for a time.
His son in-law, John Bunten, is the present proprietor of i the
store. The business has increased greatly with the sending put
of teams to take orders and deliver goods in various parts of the
Among the successful business men who have left town may
be named Lyman W. Colby, who was a successful photographer
in Manchester for more than thirty years, and whose recent
sudden death is greatly to be deplored by his many friends ; John
C. Stinson, a merchant of Gloucester^ N. J. ; Samuel G. Burn-
ham of St. Louis, Missouri : and the late Fred D. Sargent,
owner of a restaurant in St. Paul, Minn., where he furnished meals
to 500 people daily, and to many more on extra occasions. He
had also a branch establishment at Milwaukee, Wisconsin, pt
18 MANCHESTER HISTORIC COLLECtlONS.
which his brother^ Frank H. Sargent is manager. For several
years a newspaper was published by Oscar H. A. Chamberlen,
called The Snolv-Flake^ afterwards T%e Anaiecta,
The 6rst library in town was kept at the house of Benjamin
Whipple, and was called the Dunbarton Social Library. Some
of the books are still preserved. A parish library, containing
many valuable works, was collected by Miss Mary Stark, and
was for many years the source of pleasure and profit to the
attendants at St. John's Church. Some years after her death
the books were given to a Library Association, formed at the
Center, which in turn was merged with the Public Library^
founded in 1892, of which Miss Hannah K. Caldwell was, till
her marriage, the efficient librarian. The position is now filled
by Mabel Kelly. A library is also owned by Stark Grange.
For the past thirty years or more, many summer boarders
have come to Dunbarton. The houses of James M. Bailey,
William B. Burnham, and Peter Butterfield, were well filled for
several years, while at many other places some people were
accommodated. At the present time two houses at the Center,
owned by Henry P. Kelly, are filled every summer ; also the
house of Frank C. Woodbury, the former home of Deacon Par-
ker on the ^ hill beautiful," where " glorious golden summers
wax and wane, where radiant autumns all their splendors shed."
The pure air of Dunbarton seems to be conducive to long
life. Two citizens passed the century mark. Mrs. Joseph
Leach died in 1849, ^gcd 102 years, 9 months. Mrs. Achsah
P. (Tenney) Whipplelived to the age of 100 years, 9 months.
Her centennial birthday was celebrated June 28, 1886, by a
large gathering of relatives and friends. Her only daughter
married Joseph A Gilmore, for many years Superintendent of
rthe Concord Railroad, and also Governor of New Hampshire.
Her grand daughter was the first wife of Hon. Willjam E. Chan-
dler, who, doubtless, has pleasant recollections of his visits to
his betrothed at the home of her grandparents.
Among the residents of the town who attained the age of
90 years or more were Mrs. Mary Story, 98 years, 4 months, 12
SKETCH OF DUNBAHTQN, N. H. 19
days ; Mrs. Ann C, ^idow of Deacon . John Wilson, 98 years ;
Deacon John Church, 97 years ; Mrs. Abigail (Burnbam) Ire-
land, 94 years ; There were several others whose ages I do not
know. Mr. and Mrs. Guild, near the Bow line, I think were
over 90 years. Many have passed the age of 80 years. Dea-
con Samuel Burnbam is now 88 years ; he and his wife lived
together mote than 63 years. Mr.and Mrs. James Stone lived
together more than 65 years. Mrs. Stone survived her husband
only a few weeks. Colonel Samuel B. Hammond and wife cel-
ebrated their golden wedding in 1892.
Stark Grange is the only secret society in town, though some
individuals belong to societies in adjoining towns. The mem-
bership of Stark Grange is about ninety.
The patriotism of the town has always been unquestioned.
Dunbarton has sent her sons to battle for the right in every
war. Seventeen men took part in the French and Indian War,
including Major Robert Rogers, and other men by the names
of Rogers, Stark. McCurdy, and others.
In the Revolutionary Army were fifty seven from Dunbarton,
including the brothers John and Thomas Mills, William Beard,
and others. Caleb Stark, afterwards a resident, though very
youug, was with his father at Bunker Hill.
Henry L. Burnham used to tell a story of a cave on the
farm which was his home for many years (now owned by John
Haynes) which once sheltered a deserter from the Revolution-
ary Army. The man afterwards went to the northern part of
the State, and at the very hour of his death, during a heavy
thunder shower, the entrance to the cave was closed so com^
pletely that the most diligent search has failed to discover any
trace of it.
In the war of 1812^ eleven enlisted, and twelve were drafted.
Probably Benjamin Bailey was the last survivor. Among those
who went to the Mexican War were Benjamin Whipple and
Charles G. Clement.
Dunbarton sent more than fifty men to the Civil War ; sev-
eral sent substitutes. To three men were given captain's com-
20 MAN'<:Hle8TER KlSTORIC COLI^KCTtOMS.
missions, namely^ William E. Bunted, Henry M. Caldwell/ who
died of fever in Falmiouth, Va., in i86^, and Andrew J. Stone,
who was killed at the Battle of the Wilderness in 1864. Mar^
cus M. Holmes returned a lieutenant and Horace Caldwell was
orderly sargeant ; Wilbur F. Brown died of starvation at Ander^
conville, and Benjamin Twiss narrowly escaped a like fate at
Libby Prison. He was suffocated in a mine in the Far Webt not
very long ago.
Two young men went lo the Spanish -American War wh6
were born in Dunbarton, and had lived here the larger part of
their lives, namely, William J. Sawyer, who enlisted in the New
Hampshire Regiment from Concord, and Fred H.Mills, who
enlisted at Marlboro, Mass., in the Sixth Massachusetts Regi-
ment, He died in Goffstown, June 26, 1900, of disease con-
tracted in the army.
No railroad touches the town, and probably never will, but
an electric car route over the hill has been prophesied.
The mail has always come by way of Concord, and the car-
rier's wagon has furnished transportation for many people,
Hon William £. Chandler drove the mail wagon for a time some
fifty years ago. The postoffice was first established in 1817,
at the Center; another at North Dunbarton in 1834 ; a third
at East Dunbarton in 1883. In 1899 the free rural delivery
system was adopted, giving general satisfaction to the residents.
I have written chiefly of the past history of the tov^n, but I
think I may say that the people of the presentday are endeavor-
ing to maintain as good a reputation as their ancestors.
This book should b6 returned to
the Library on or before the last date
A fine of five eents a day is incurred
by retaining it beyond the specified
Please return promptly.
JWtr 1 9 flff